Speaker 1: Episode three eighty three.
Speaker 2: We are recapping the Pirates twenty twenty six MLB Draft class. This is the Bucco Banter Podcast, brought to you by the Just Baseball Media Network.
Speaker 1: Cue the music. I feel one O one.
Speaker 3: You see a couple of me in My Taste with me and my lemonade because I let the way taste Ben seas at the Pirates and he let me run the base.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Uh yee is alloyer take my date to my dates or to stick by the plate syndic case peptic case from my race at my pace, Claric Grass.
Speaker 1: That is snake.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Bucko Bander. This is an exclusive special episode if you will, because this is not on the normal schedule. But there's some things happening this past week. Jay and I went ham on the draft coverage and we're gonna talk about it today.
Speaker 1: But first, Jay, how are you doing? Dude?
Speaker 4: I'm great because Derek Curle is I fits through pirate or are you getting here? In a second, I've really started to cover around on that pick.
Speaker 1: Scott.
Speaker 4: I'm excited to talk about this with you today. We spent we spent a lot of time prepping for this and then covering the draft itself. So let's talk about man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my, I think my fingers have finally recovered. We were on phone yesterday for like hours, like just tweeting out every pick, like pulling up the scouting reports, like putting out our thoughts, thoughts that we already had written out in our on our boards on some of these picks. And uh, you know, I You're a god to get that draft coverage anywhere else.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 2: I think this was This was pretty extensive and I had a lot of fun doing. I'm already looking forward to twenty twenty seven class, which we're already going to start talking about here, probably in the next couple of weeks. But I want to talk about the overall theme of this draft, Jay, because this is the first draft that Kevin Graves led after the couple of years of Justin Horowitz saw some of the best draft classes in Pirate's recent history.
Speaker 1: I could even remove the word recent.
Speaker 2: I think brought back Seth Hernandez, he brought back Connor Griffin. Franchise corner stones is what they're looking like at this point. Right, Connor Griffin already secured the long term bag. But this was a college heavy draft, a college pitcher heavy draft. Out of the twenty one picks, fourteen of them were pictures. Twelve of them were college pitchers, and not just any college pitcher, A lot of them were college aces from premier college programs. Right, we had Tyler Faye from Alabama. We had Liam O'Leary from Saint John's. They went against each other in a super regional. This year, we had Jason DeCaro from UNC. We're gonna get into him, lots to like about him, Grant Govell from USC. We also had Rowan Leto from San Diego States.
Speaker 1: A lot of very interesting names here, especially on the college front.
Speaker 2: Is that what like, obviously that's what you saw too, but like, what are your thoughts on the whole approach to going college pitcher heavy.
Speaker 4: So I'll be honest with you, I used to hate this approach, Like in twenty twenty three, whenever they went all in on pictures. Basically except for like Mitch Jeb we don't have to talk about that part of the draft, but whenever they went all in on on pictures, it scared me a little bit, just because you know, you started and you saw this issue with the Pirates in the off season where that you start to look at the depth start in the organization. It's like, Okay, you got all these arms, but you have no bats coming to help you, like at all, like none, And that's something that can get scary quickly. But at the same time, Scott, this is what the Pirates have done so well at developing within the last few years. If you go back and look at that twenty twenty three class, it was Christian Curtis, it was Paul Skins, it was all kinds of other people that are a lot more interesting as well. And I was just talking to you about this before we started recording. I feel like that team is, especially the Pirates view starting pictures is less of a question mark, especially out of college, just because like you kind of know what the transition looks like. They're the stuff is what you're searching for, and the stuff is what you could fall back and bet on as opposed to a hitter that's playing in a weaker conference or somebody like and Lebron who struggles against sec sec hitting. The transition give you a little bit harder and a lot more question marks in that it's just a lot more quantifiable to go for college pitching.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, absolutely, Like you said, you know what you're getting, right, And these are guys that have competed at the highest level at the college ranks, Guys that could probably go pitch in Greensboro right now and feel pretty comfortable. We've talked to some of these guys like, what's the what's the adjustment, Like, it's like a It's wasn't much different for playing in the SEC.
Speaker 1: Right, it's a launching pad. Yeah, yeah, except for it's a launching pad. Right.
Speaker 2: So another topic I want to cover here too, before we get into each pick. There's two guys that I think as of right now, are probably not going to sign, one being the eighteenth round pick, Malachi Washington, which was one of the best high school bats in the class.
Speaker 1: There was a couple of these guys who went in the eighteenth round.
Speaker 2: Dominic Santarelli went to the Mariors in the eighteenth as well at a park few high school decorated high school program in Georgia.
Speaker 1: He's committed to L s Elis.
Speaker 2: He's going to have a crazy class and we know that they have just a huge pool of nil money, more than most college baseball programs, so pulling him away will be difficult.
Speaker 1: We did.
Speaker 2: There was an example brought up today and we mentioned it discussing this.
Speaker 1: Prep for the draft.
Speaker 2: Britain Bishop was eleventh round pick a few years back who posted he was going to Arkansas, who made it very clear he was going there. In the last minute signed due to the deal that they gave him. So there's still a possibility that you could pull a guy like this away. I'm a betting man. I would bet all my money that it does not happen. And then there's Andrew Duncan, nineteenth round pick the next round, a guy that is probably one of the better bath theball skills in college baseball the past year. Has you know, elite center field or plus speed from Wright State out of the Horizon League. Is committed to play at Tennessee. Is a fiance that went to Tennessee. I think he's very much so looking to go there. I think he was even announced today that he is playing attending Tennessee. So I think that's even a more for sure thing than Malachi Washington.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, which is a huge bummer. Honest. I mean, Washington was always a long shot, but you never know.
Speaker 4: There are some later round guys who do sign most notably wasn't as late, but Cooper Pratt was originally supposed to be like a second rounder and he fell. Milwaukee Brewers took a shot there and threw some money at him and landed him in the same class. George Walco too, who some people listening to this one and I'll be super familiar with. But it is a lanky, big time power guy that Scott. You've got some friends that are very familiar with He's working with them. Yeah, with George Walco. So there always is the chance, for sure. But if you're if you're a Pirates fan, I just wouldn't get my hopes up here. Maybe actually I would get my hopes up that maybe this is kind of a we just want to get our name in your ear when whenever we have a chance to select you again in the future.
Speaker 2: So yeah, absolutely, get familiarity with the organization the people running it.
Speaker 1: But let's let's start off here, Jay, because.
Speaker 2: One the pick five of the draft first round is the last time we'll be picking the top ten or in the lottery. We got Derek Curiele from LSU outfielder, elite bat the ball skills, doesn't swing and miss, super advanced field for the barrel. A plays a really good center field, high average, high OBP hitter. I feel like the floor is super high. Here brings back shades of Andrew ben and Tendee at Arkansas, maybe a six' three version Of Stephen kwan at his best, right and a guy that when we're looking at the, data the swing, data maybe there's more juice in. THERE i don't know If i'm going to say twenty five plus homers, obviously but maybe there's double digit homers in there while staying up the middle and hitting for high.
Speaker 4: Average there's absolutely double digit homers in the, TANK i. Think and this is somebody who quickly became like a, oh that kind of seems like a little bit of a reach to.
Speaker 1: Me be this is a money saver.
Speaker 4: Too this is one of the highest probability big leaders you're going to find in the. DRAFT i think that whenever comes to Drafting, scott that's what you're looking, for. Right one of my, Friends, shandanahue texted me this earlier. Today he, said you're not looking for you're not looking for The All star as you're looking for the high probability big. Leaders and if you're going to project out a guy like, That curiel is probably the best best chance you. Have AND i do want to go through the data here as long as you're, Willing, scott we're going to compare him to a couple of the couple of the other guys in the class that we liked a, lot or fifty three point six percent hard hit rate from a guy who's not really a big slugger as huge average exit velocity of ninety point five miles an, hour zone contact rate ninety four point two. Percent there's a the, elite there's are the elite contact stuff starts to start to shine. Through, also his max exit velocity of one fourteen point eight is very notable for somebody who's not supposed to be a big time power thread only with thirteen percent of the time in, zone by the, way under six percent he whiffed last. Year and just comparing that to a couple of other couple of our other favorite college hitters this season BETWEEN A. J, Garcia Chris, Occopian Andrew, burris who we thought was going to be the pick very late there after The giants Took Jackson. Flora this is where he ranks in these. Areas out of, these out of this group of, hitters zone, contact he ranks. One hard hit rate he ranks. Second AVERAGE ev is, third AND ev ninety is, third max ex and philosophy is. Two he's first in with rate and first and.
Speaker 1: In zone with.
Speaker 4: Rate so for somebody who's hailed as this guy that might not have crazy, power which is, TRUE i think that there's a lot more in the tank, there especially whenever you start to compare him to a couple of those other people and you see that he's second in MAX ev with these elite contact. Skills Oh andy plays a seventy great defense, too with good. Speed, like this is a very very very, good high probability big leaguer who could be A Stephen kwan but better in the big league some.
Speaker 1: Day, YEAH i.
Speaker 2: DO i think there might even be a higher ceiling than A Stephen, kwan, Right, like, yeah it's just given his frame and just the projectability there. Left but, Yeah i'm really excited about this pick, man especially given that he's about a chance to stick in center field long, term or really good. Chance you, KNOW i Thought burris was kind of your high upside play there and a guy that a type of guy THAT i think the last regime would have taken over a curial because they took a lot of high upside swings and they hit.
Speaker 1: Right Kyle griffin was a high upside.
Speaker 2: Swing there was questions on the swing right, definitely and it worked, out and it worked out really. Well but, Yeah i'm really happy with this, pick AND i think you've got to for sure big leaguer with the fifth pick.
Speaker 4: Overall now here's where the next question comes. In it is do you think they could save any money with this? Pick because at first that was our initial, reaction and the last NIGHT i was looking into a little bit further and found out that he's A Scott boris, guy which really started to turn me off a little bit more to that, idea especially seeing how the rest of the draft unfolded that we're going to see here in a. SECOND i don't know that there's as many savings there as we, think BUT i think there's gonna be enough to lock down a couple other intriguing players we're gonna see here in a.
Speaker 1: Second, SCOTT i.
Speaker 2: Think they could get a slight underslot. HERE i don't think it's gonna be anything, significant BUT i do foresee that being a, factor AND i think that to, them to some other. Picks but it comes into question like they didn't really make splashes on the prep scene right, Now like they, didn't so like maybe it's.
Speaker 1: Not maybe it's. Not that's WHY i say it's maybe a slight. Underslot but we'll. See but the next pick is going to Be Aiden ruiz.
Speaker 2: Second roup pick pick forty, four a guy that we talked about in a lot of our breakdowns here for the. DRAFT a guy that sounded like a, pirate like he sounded like a guy that they'd be interested. In Wyatt stanford type. Pick this is a lightning fast hands in the info with a quick, exchange above average arm strength at. Centerfield possibly a seventy grade, glove possibly one of the best gloves in the, draft if not the. Best he's committed To vanderbilt next. Year prep guy From New. YORK i think you know the hands right. Now it's more of.
Speaker 1: A back to ball.
Speaker 2: Guy hit over, power, obviously AND i think it's probably gonna remain that. Way he's got a lot of physical traits and athletic tools that could result in A Nick allen type of.
Speaker 1: PROFILE i think at the, floor but you.
Speaker 2: KNOW i think there's there's some potential here with the, bat that's some untapped. Potential what are your thoughts initial thoughts on En ruiz at pick forty.
Speaker 4: Four, Well i'll start off by saying that he was one of the first guys The pirates draft that was on our draft. Board he was a second round, target a picked fifty, one so we just barely missed that, One. Scott but there's a lot to like in this. Profile for. Sure it's definitely somebody who's going to be a glove OVERHIT i think you could say at this, point and then especially a hit overpower. Guy but if you read any of the scouting reports on, him for people that have seen him and played against, him it's the teams love him and opponents hate playing. Him that's really the one thing that comes down to between the speed and the hit, Profile he's just somebody that's gonna be an annoying at bat and when he gets on, base he's going to be a pest to keep it at first base or second base wherever he ends.
Speaker 1: Up and then in the field.
Speaker 4: Too he's going to make a couple all star caliber plays for, you AND i want to quickly mention this. Too you AND i have talked in the lead up to the draft a lot about the idea of getting to two war and what that looks like for. Guys we're projecting these guys to be average big, leaders. RIGHT i feel like you have a good idea where that two war is coming from With, ruiz because even if he doesn't hit in the big league s, CARD i think he can he can get Some he can get two war and his sleep by just being A google of.
Speaker 1: Defender.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ABSOLUTELY i think he gets sleep or sleepwalk into that too.
Speaker 1: War.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah the question is going to be around the bat and he's he's a little bit older for the. Class he's nineteen years old at the time of the, draft so he's a guy that could spend a little bit of time on the.
Speaker 1: Complex But i'm sure they're going to try to challenge. Him and.
Speaker 2: You know this IS i think this is the guy That i'm not off based off of Anything i've. HEARD i think this is the Guy i'm most worried about in terms of, signability just because of maybe SOME i don't. Know we're getting back to the last draft With servante's a guy that was a highly touted prep pitcher who elected to go TO ucla instead of signing with The pirates in the second. Round maybe there's some just like paranoia, there but he's committed A, vanderbilt a really solid program and something they'll. Watch BUT i think this is a guy that they could end up signing based on their other.
Speaker 1: Picks IT'S ptsd for.
Speaker 4: Sure back To, servantes we don't have to hide, that, Yeah BUT i will say the one thing that makes me feel pretty confident IS i feel like if anybody in the draft is going to get the over or like the savings that they have and be, overslotted it's probably gonna Be. Ruiz AND i think that you even saw that that attitude for them afterwards, too like they kind of left themselves even a little bit of a cushion with how many college arms that they, took because you never know with a guy like, that especially After, servantes he might cost you more than you. Think and he really felt like they're one and only big time splash aside from like one, Mediumish we're going to get to you in a little.
Speaker 1: Bit let's go to pick fifty.
Speaker 2: One it was another second round, Pick Chris rembert out Of, auburn a college. Bat this guy is a college performer at THE. Sec his dad is an area scout for The, pirates which was a cool. Story this is the guy's a second basement through and. Through he has a chance to play in left field if you in a, pinch if you need him. To BUT i think that. Beat the ball skills here are above, average and that was the theme with the college bats.
Speaker 1: HERE i think the CLASS i.
Speaker 2: Think he has a chance to grow into slightly above average, power potentially as a second. Baseman you, know he's flashed thumb exit velo's exceeding one to. Eleven it's nothing to sneeze, at, obviously BUT i think this is another high floor pick out of the college.
Speaker 4: SCENE i think the first thing that stands out to me is how quick the hand speed. Is, yes that was one thing THAT i pointed out to you right, away was just that the bat speed is ridiculous on this. Kid and we have a, source honestly, too inside Of. Auburn And i'll read you the text THAT i was sent after this, says good player needs to clean up his swing and get some. Lift but he's a contact over power, profile fine defender will stick at second. Base AND i feel like if you're looking for a high probability big, layer once, again those are types of things that you're looking. For if he cleans up that, Swing Pat, scott that bat speed is going to PRODUCE i could produce double digit homers if he just gets the right blonde angle in the. Swing and he's somebody that LIKE i think he was probably a little bit of an underslot guy, there or at least an attempt at. That AND i feel like that if that's the guy you're going to take a shot, ON i feel like that's pretty a pretty safe way to do that for.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ABSOLUTELY i MEAN i think it's again like this is not a Draft i'm used to with the parents taking like college performers at THE sec. Level i'm using them taking high upside high school guys in this. Range so, yeah a different, look a guy that could potentially move. Quickly let's go on to the third, round pick. Eighty we're gonna start moving through these a little bit. Quicker Jason DeCaro out OF. Unc this is a guy who was young for the. Class he's only twenty years old hitting the. Draft you, know acc, arm six foot five, frame works up the ninety seven features some impressive arms time run with a well above average spin. Rates we'll casually hold some vertical carry as. Well he's effective generating ground. BALLS i think that the curve ball is his bread and butter with huge spin.
Speaker 1: Working off the.
Speaker 2: FASTBALL i think just refining the secondaries is a huge pinpoint for a pitcher like this out OF Unc BUT i think he's a you, know there's a lot left in the tank.
Speaker 1: Here he's a master of his.
Speaker 2: Craft he keeps hitters, up, bounced with a ton of, offerings, throws. Strikes this is a guy THAT i think will just succeed right away in The pirates development, system.
Speaker 4: Definitely and this is a guy that you don't have to wait around in with a stint in braidenton. EITHER i, think AND i said this is my quote, tweet BUT i think that this is probably one of my favorite picks The pirates have had in the draft because he's a definition of untapped potential with a strong foundation to work off. Of AND i want to talk about that strong foundation real quick basketball right. Now the shape is eighteen point seven and fourteen point. Nine for those of you who don't, know that just means the ball is carrying and running into his arm side like. Crazy almost fifteen inches of armside run is. Nuts he's gonna lose some of that vertical break, there but there's other stuff to fall back. On the slider's a gyro. Slider really good change, up by the, Way scott seventeen point three inches of horizonal break on that curveball has some steep as. Well tons tons tons to like in this uh in this profile for. Sure by the, way change up had a forty two point four percent with rate last, year and uh at UNC i.
Speaker 2: Love fastball change up, guys just BECAUSE i feel, like just my personal, EXPERIENCE i fastba is you could teach. SPIN i feel like you, can't like you either have a change up where you don't like it's such a field. Pitch SO i always gravitate towards those.
Speaker 1: Guys AND i also.
Speaker 2: Think they have a floor of being a solid reliever if they can't, develop if they don't have a feel for. Spin but let's go on to the fourth round pick here, again a lot of guys that are going to impact the upper levels of the system sooner rather than. Later but we're gonna go to a high school guy here out of The nevada prep.
Speaker 1: Scene Andrew.
Speaker 2: Giles, Okay andrews spelled Like Andrew jones And giles spelled Like Brent Brian.
Speaker 1: Giles, no it's like a good mix right. There.
Speaker 2: Exactly one of the most famous names around the country in this twenty twenty six prep, class has a sweet left handed. Swing maybe some holes in, it but this is a guy that HAS i think some impressive raw power projection in the.
Speaker 4: Tank, definitely AND i mean he was one of the buzzier names in this prep, cycle exciting raw. Power the swing is built for line drives all over the. Field with improvements made on the wift front this year, too he's even more. Intriguing this is definitely a pick that reminds, me, THOUGH i will, say of the old regime that we had doing the, drafts because he was a little bit of a reach there with the high school, selection and that little bit of a reach was kind of Justin horwitz's bread and. Butter that's how you got guys Like Eddie reiners and Even. Safe but we keep bringing up that, name but he's such a good example for this was just a little bit of a reach and he JUST i. COULDN'T i couldn't help fight off those comparisons right there in my.
Speaker 2: Head, yeah above our average arm, strength you. KNOW i think he's got a verage foot speed as. WELL i think this is an interesting. Bat he was committed To oregon for ball that's. Year BUT i am pretty. Confident i'm actually more confidence in signing this pick THAN i Am Aiden. Ruiz And i'm not like saying that we're not going to Sign Aid, ruiz but it sounds pretty it sounds like a for sure thing that he's gonna sign here with The. Pirates it's going to pick five because this is an arm THAT i want to talk about left date and Pitcher Ryan, morone fifth round pick out OF Nc, state WAS.
Speaker 1: Nc state's ace this.
Speaker 2: Year this gives, me Like Connor wigriff vibes right your, pitchability, Lefty and this is a guy THAT i, Know tyler From Just. Baseball Tyler jennings does a lot over draft coverage highlighted a. Lot is one of the Better friday night starters in college baseball this. Year not an overpowering guy the fastball live in the low, nineties but his other weapons are what Draw rave reviews as low d, slider has big, depth especially is tough on lefty bats the mid. Eighties change is also a bat. Misser he's just pounds the strike. Zone he's got a very high floor with polish on the. MOUND i just think this is a guy that's going to move. Quickly allah Of connor Wickriff.
Speaker 4: The shapes are exciting, too AND i won't dive too deeply into, them but he creates a ton of, deception especially against. Lefties, scott this is a tough Left he left you on bat, which again going back to your original point As connor Wickriff, man he's a tough lefty lefty at. Bat heterre features plenty of ride to go off of the or, sorry plenty of ride to go off of and, control and he has a curve ball as.
Speaker 1: Well in the arsenal AND i want to touch on this.
Speaker 4: Too Peyton, sawyer who's another one of my good friends At Just baseball who does a lot of the college writing and is a big pitching. Guru he highlighted. Uh he Highlighted moron earlier this year as one of the for his safeness in the profile and the, strength throwing abilities and deception and. Consistency so a lot to like here in this. Guy if he's being highlighted by multiple of Our Just baseball correspondents right, There.
Speaker 1: Scott, yeah, again another high floor.
Speaker 2: Pick a guy that REALLY i think is going to move, quickly As i've stated, before But i'm excited For ryan Or.
Speaker 1: MORON i feel like this is a guy that we're not talking about.
Speaker 2: Enough let's go a six round Pick pick, one six, Nine Tyler fayel In. ALABAMA i mentioned earlier that he dueled With later Pick liam O'Leary out.
Speaker 1: Of Saint john's and The Super.
Speaker 2: Regional this is a low three quarter slot rightty with fastball that warp up the ninety seven since more mid, nineties ninety, three ninety, four some sink and.
Speaker 1: Armside run on the.
Speaker 2: Heater he's a groundball, specialist spins a low eighties slider with some sweeping. CHARACTERISTICS i think this is one of the better arms in THE sec this. YEAR A friday night starter For, alabama a guy, again A friday night, starter an ace for a premier program that is gonna be more mature than other.
Speaker 1: Arms in the system and is probably gonna move quickly as.
Speaker 4: Well, Definitely, man it's. Exciting it's exciting command and upside breaking. Stuff that's that's for. SURE i also want to note this. Too he Through alabama's ninth no hitter this, season not this, season but, sorry their ninth no hitter in franchise in franchise history this. Season so a guy that's gonna get you soft contact and do so early inccounts, too which is what you ask for with starting pitchers, nowadays just to get a little bit deeper into, games especially in The pirates organization where you have a bullpen that can use every extra inning coboard for, them as you, can just put it that.
Speaker 2: Way, yeah really excited About Tyler fay AS i am with a lot of these, arms and the next two ARMS i think have sort of similar similar. Characteristics we're gonna start with the seventh round. Pick, obviously we're going to Order bryce And moore out Of Florida. State he transfer FROM uva To Florida state After brian O'Connor left a program For Mississippi. State this is an imposing writer who can rush it up to ninety six.
Speaker 1: Above he's got average.
Speaker 2: Fastball the breaker can exceed three thousand, RPMs so he has phil for spin. There he can throw it hard. Too if he's got above average, breaker a press of whiff and chase, rates there's a mid eighties change there as. Well this guy kind of gives me reliever, vibes but they may stretch him out here early on in his.
Speaker 4: Career, totally and it seems like he's improved the strike throwing abilities over the last couple of, years WHICH i feel like for college, arms that tends to be like the last real test that you have to go with the. Stuff so knowing that it's pretty easy to get excited.
Speaker 2: About a guy like This scott and then moving on to pick round Eight alex Over bay out Of Arizona, state son OF mlb standout in former Pirate lyle Over. Bay the play talk about a player development success story. Man after two years AT, unlv he made some big time gains in the weight. Room he hit the transfer, portal the stuff started to tick. Up he'll sit ninety five to ninety seven high over the top delivery with above average lift in the. ZONE i feel like he's a lot of deception there generating with And chase spins the.
Speaker 1: Ball, well.
Speaker 2: The highest upside secondary is that change it dives and fades off the, fastball cutting over ten miles an hour.
Speaker 1: Up there's a lot of villa separation.
Speaker 2: THERE i feel like there's a lot left from the tank here, too AND i view him more as a reliever prospect to going.
Speaker 4: Forward i'm gonna throw out a comp, here AND i promise you it's not just because It's Arizona, state BUT i Get Christian curtis vives from him the more and MORE i keep looking at the profile.
Speaker 1: Characteristics, yeah, yeah not.
Speaker 4: Just the not just the fastball, characteristics but also like the the just fuel for spin on some of the breakers, too and the fact that he's a player development success story kind of comes to the issues That Christian curtis faced a little bit in his earlier early parts of his. Career and then of course you have The Arizona state connection there, too as they both went there at one point in their collegiate. Careers but somebody that's not hard to get excited, about especially with the with the baseball and his.
Speaker 1: Blood so, yeah a late. Bloomer definitely ninth round. Pick Trey.
Speaker 2: PHELPS i tweeted out and we talked about this earlier that last year's ninth round pick was a success. Story Jared jones, adels you decorated college bat out of THE.
Speaker 1: Sec could they go the same?
Speaker 2: ROUTE a couple of minutes, later they Took Trey phelps out Of, georgia who had a lot of draft hype last, year had As monty sophomore, season went back To, georgia hit nineteen home, runs hit over three point. FIFTY i, think but this is a bat first profile with juice to all, fields close to a complete. Hitter the question is where he ends up? Defensively is that third base is at a quarner outfold? Spot BUT i think this is this guy is gonna hit and move pretty quickly through the. SYSTEM i could see him going To greensborough right.
Speaker 1: Away.
Speaker 4: Yeah absolutely want we throw out a camp for this guy. Too anom asraelind Vaude. Is somebody mentioned that they have a little bit of a bat wiggle that's, similar AND i couldn't agree. More, man, this, this this gives me crazy throwbacks to That Jared jones, pick AND i feel like it going forward To. Scott we know how to nail their ninth round pick, now which just could be whichever whichever the, biggest big time power guys are left on the board in round. Nine but he's consistently been one of the best hitters in the country with an absurd fuel for the. Barrel it doesn't really it doesn't really sacrifice contact despite, that Azraelnd vaude is like set up where he's got his hands a little bit lower. That you, know sometimes it gets guys blown up depending on where they're where they're.
Speaker 2: Playing but, yeah, YEAH i couldn't agree. MORE i think this is a guy that parks fans really. Like he's very animated on the, field and he.
Speaker 4: Got tossed from a game this year for like just watching a homer or something like.
Speaker 1: That he plays with some. Fire he love. IT i love it.
Speaker 2: Already tenth round pick is right handed Picture Michael gibson out of The. Citadel this was a two way start at The, citadel by the, WAY i think he started At. Liberty he had a couple of stops at other, schools but he hit four oh eight with six homers this. Season the drafted him as a starter as a, pitcher though he's worked mostly out of the relief in the citadel sitting ninety one.
Speaker 1: Ninety four with a mid eighties.
Speaker 2: Slider sounds like your classic relief prospect that's probably going to be a little not a, project but a guy that is going to settle into pitching full time here in pro. Ball you kind of hit the nail on the head right, there AND i just want to mention too that it's exciting athleticism too to see a hitter at such a high level start to transition to a picture. Only SO i feel like you could fall back on some of that and maybe dream went a little bit more vlo there because of that. Athleticism jay eleventh round Pick Spencer. Evans this is a guy THAT i think we're both excited about AND i underrated pick here in his, class lefty pitcher out of The florida prep. Scene he's very, projectable, fastball has bat missing, shape been up to ninety six dem staring the ability to rip through a seventy eight to eighty one min hour slider at twenty six hundred. RPMs it's a true outpitch when landed and, commanded there's a change in the. Tank it just feels like there's A this is a big ball of, clay a guy that could really, excel and you made a comp to him when we were talking yesterday during the. Draft can you talk through that real quick BECAUSE i think that'll get Part fins really.
Speaker 4: Excited It's Michael kennedy with better stuff and a more refined skill, SET i think. Already like the one thing THAT i want to mention real quickly, too is it's. Clean mccasy hides the ball exceptionally.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: Scott if you guys have seen the video THAT i quote tweeted On twitter last night after he was, drafted it was it was really tough to see the ball out of his. HAND i know that he was mixing some breaking balls there with, heaters and just from the arms slot and from how well he hides the, ball they all look the same out of the, hand WHICH i think is gonna be a key kind or a key characteristic movie down the. Line AND i do want to say To, scott this is probably where they're going to go over. Slot this is where the, savings the rest of the savings whatever they have left for from Curiel O ruiz and Even Trey phelps are probably gonna go To Spencer.
Speaker 1: Evans here it's. Exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah these picks eleven through twenty are one hundred and FIFTY k slot, value AND i THINK i could see them going like three hundred day.
Speaker 1: Like, slightly it's not, more if not.
Speaker 2: MORE i think he's a guy who's committed TO, lsu, right So god pay up, Essentially, yeah you got to pay up to land, him AND i think he could be an exciting.
Speaker 1: Arm next arm Twelfth round is a college drum out Of San Diego. State he was their their ace Rowan.
Speaker 2: Leto he's a true five pitch artist who relies on sequencing and pitch ability to generate. Whiffs the fastball will get up to ninety four solid carry and tell through the zone of average strike throwing with the fastball spins the ball. Well the pitch mix includes a, cutter, sweeper curve. Change, again a pitchability, guy a guy who's, mature who is a pitcher over a, thrower.
Speaker 1: A guy that could maybe move quickly.
Speaker 2: Through the system as a middle reliever when all is said and done to get to the big. Leagues but someone who is really. Impressive this year Into Mount. WEST i think it was his first Team All Mount west as a.
Speaker 4: Pitcher he said one thing there THAT i feel like we've said numerous times when talking about these, pictures and so he spins the ball, exceptionally exceptionally, well AND i think that if you're looking for what the pirates are looking, for that's it right, there because that's the one trait that they feel like they can kind of build off of and start to refine stuff beyond. That but the fact that he spins the ball really well is important because it's going to help The it's gonna help the floor of those pitches come up just a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, next pick another arm out of the acc right at a. Pitcher Griffin stych out Of Virginia tech was a thirteenth round. Pick he was previously drafted by The marriages in the eighteenth round and twenty twenty. Five this is a guy that had a big year for. Them he was the sinker is his bread and. Butter it's a heat seeking. Missile as described By Joe doyle of overslought dot, com you know he's going to. Work he's been up to ninety seven and since ninety two ninety. Five it DOESN'T i don't think the fast is going to miss much bats below the belt it's more of like a weak contact ground ball. Generator but you, know he's got an above average change up with diving.
Speaker 1: Action he's got a sweeping.
Speaker 2: SLIDER i think the three pitch arsenal and strike throwing ability gives him a shot to move. Quickly and he could be you, know he could be a guy that is in a multi ending reliever when all of a sudden done to get to the big, leagues LIKE i See leto as.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, Definitely and he's a guy that even though the fastball might not be super super, notable it's going to play up because of the velo separation there between that and his, changeup which something THAT i noted in my tweet from this last. Night tons of yellow separation between the changeup with a heater and, sorry and a heater with a sweeper that works well to. Match it's a really fun. Mix gives me shades of Key shock here as. Well, yeah the tract last year.
Speaker 2: Out of the twelfth, ROUND i think, right it was right in this range out Of. Sanford and the guy that is a sinker baller but has got the ability to miss bats, too not just generate week. Contact he's been a success story too In greensboro despite the hit or friendly. Environment let's go to to pick fourteen because this was an interesting. One right hand a picture out of The canadian prep scene out Of. Ontario DeMarcus right Out. CARTER i don't think he's.
Speaker 1: Committed to a.
Speaker 2: COLLEGE i couldn't find anything that he was committed to a. COLLEGE i think he's going to, sign but he's very, raw good athlete on the mound with room to, grow and his, lean wiry six to three like one sixty frame fastball is currently in the low nineties complimented complimented by a tight.
Speaker 1: Slider this is a guy that's just a projectable ball of.
Speaker 2: Clay, right he's got the picture body six, three one sixty one seventy's there's probably more velo in the, tank kind Of tristan mackenzie ish if you.
Speaker 4: Will, yeah, definitely projection is the thing here for. Sure AND i think if there's one trait here, that even though we can't can necessarily confirm this with, DATA i think he's probably a big extension, guy which will help that fastball in the low nineties play up a little. Bit but, definitely this is probably the guy that we know the least about just because he's coming out of The canadian prep, scene but still something to be excited. About if The pirates are taking a chance on a picture, Man i'm all in on him for. SURE i think they have given us enough reasons to be confident in them to develop these.
Speaker 2: Guys round Fifteen Saint John's Friday night. Starter liam O'Leary was a workhorse college arm going deep into. Games four pitch, mix, moves the extends well down the, mound clear phil for. Spin he LIKE i said, before many times he Battled Tyler fay in The Super. Regional not a guy that's going to overpower. You but he's a pitcher, again another pitcher over a, thrower and he's got a deep mix that allows him to work deep into. Games LIKE i, said so a Guy i'm excited to see pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: HERE i think he's going to move pretty fast through the.
Speaker 4: System big time workhorse. TOO i think that was one of the things that stood out to you AND i the. Most whenever the pick came through last, night we were looking around just to see what we could figure out about, him and it seemed like EVERYWHERE i was looking at it was. Complete game eight. Innings he tied an innings record At Saint. John's i'm pretty sure. Too so just the way who's going to pitch you deep into games and be that guy who's going to do soft, contact which is all you can ask for for an arm in this.
Speaker 1: Range let's go to pick sixteen out OF Usc Grant.
Speaker 2: Novelle this is one of their top starting, pitchers primarily A North south. Skuy he's got an uptempo delivery over the top. Finish we'll sit ninety, one ninety, three touch ninety. Five induces a ton of vertical lift on the, fastball has a big.
Speaker 1: BREAKER i think the change.
Speaker 2: Up Anthony murphy tweeted Of bucks on deck that he's the Fast the changeup has some interesting characteristics to, it someone that he was really interested. In, again just another mature arm out of the college. Ranks played at A power. Five it played in A power five conference that could move.
Speaker 4: Quickly this was a guy, too who was ranked in the borderline two hundreds with some outlets that they were able to scoop up at pick four sixty eight, overall so definitely a nice value, play especially if you can start to build out some of those other traits that they seem to like a lot.
Speaker 2: Exactly and that takes us in the pick seventeen where we Got Nate hellman out Of Kenesaw. State this is a right handed reliever who misses bats at a high rate with the. Fastball, again a guy that they could move quickly as a reliever through the. System they've done really well with guys, Recently Angeline, Kelly Wilbert, Hotel Michael. WALSH i, mean the list goes on and on with these guys that they've taken out of the college ranks that are or out of The dominican For Wilburt hotel And Antoine kelly out of cure us.
Speaker 1: Out but.
Speaker 2: You know these guys that have taken out of the taken into the draft or in the international, market that they run out there at starters and then also as relievers that move quickly because they've got a deep pool of pitching prospects in this. SYSTEM i can't all. Start you got five spots In, pittsburgh, Right AND i think they've done a really good job of finding these characteristics with the pictures that they that they love and going all for.
Speaker 1: Them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ABSOLUTELY i feel like if this is kind of a floor of what your bullpen in the future could look, like or at least your bullpen in the minor leagues could look. Like you're in a good spot for, Sure. Scott you mentioned pretty much everything THAT i was going to say in that, breakdown but something that it's all hard to get excited, about especially in this late in the. DRAFT i feel like usually we are kind of just walking through these picks being, like, oh, yeah this guy's pretty. Interesting but LIKE i can say confidently that this entire, class we haven't really run into somebody Where i'm, like, yeah he's not really that that, interesting but just kind of like a later round.
Speaker 1: Pick and this stands true With Nathan.
Speaker 4: HELLMAN a lot to like here for, sure especially at this what seventeenth round we're.
Speaker 2: On right, now exactly exactly we got three more, picks let to. Go we talked a little bit about the next two picks earlier On Malachi washington out Of Park, view one of the more distinguished hit toles in the, class some of the fastest hands in the class in the rep, scene committed TO lsu post the picture yesterday about going TO. Lsu probably not gonna, sign but you, know there's still that possibility, interesting you know flyer here in round, eighteen especially with how the draft went this year where it was very college, heavy AND i feel like nil played a huge, factor.
Speaker 1: Especially when it comes TO. Lsu. Man that's the one.
Speaker 4: Theme ls you pretty much landed almost all of their, recruits and it's probably gonna be the same With Malacob washington when truly sucks because he's somebody that you AND i liked a lot even earlier in the draft that they wanted to take a shot shot at him at like the what second or thirty and fourth?
Speaker 1: Round so, yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely And Andrew duncan was a nineteenth round pick out Of Right.
Speaker 1: State he's committed To.
Speaker 2: Tennessee as we, mentioned you, know plus defender in center, field up the, middle has plus, speed above average bats bat the ball. Skills performed really well At Right state at The Horizon league last year average. Wise and you know a guy THAT i think could be interesting Like duce course and esque in the minor, leagues but it looks like he's going To tennessee at this.
Speaker 1: Juncture let's go to pick.
Speaker 2: Twenty Dakota stone is a GUY i think he's gonna sign out Of North. Florida he's he's played AT Ucf jacksonville And North. Florida he's he's played at all the MAJOR d one schools up In Northeastern. Florida low three quarter slot. Lefty that is difficult look for left left handed. Hitters mid ninety. Sinker this guy was a top performer In Atlantic. SUN i think it was first Team All Atlantic sun this past.
Speaker 1: Year as a.
Speaker 2: Pitcher just a different look as a, LEFTY a guy that could be an interesting flyer in round.
Speaker 1: TWENTY i think the.
Speaker 2: SIGNABILITY i don't think there's much question about the signability.
Speaker 1: Here, yeah definitely.
Speaker 4: Not AND i think that you nailed it there with the different look for a, lefty especially lefty and. Lefty whenever that ball looks like it's coming behind, you it's gonna be a lot more difficult to hit than it is if it's over the top of. Us, well you're going to see here with this pick In Dakota stone who who seems pretty fired up to being, hired by the, way don't if you've seen any of a social Media.
Speaker 1: Oh, Yeah i've seen. It he followed The Bucco better.
Speaker 4: Page seems really excited to be part of the part of the. Organization we're excited to have.
Speaker 2: Him, Well, jaye we're at the end here round. Twenty we've got been going here for forty.
Speaker 1: Minutes you what is your overall grade for this?
Speaker 2: Class BECAUSE i you, know we were texting back and forth yesterday about the draft we were. On we were covering, it doing, everything BUT i feel like we were a little bit confused at first about the college heavy, approach especially on the pitching.
Speaker 1: Side you've taken a day for two to think about. It what are your? Thoughts what is? It what is the ending rate here for this?
Speaker 4: CLASS i THINK i would give it a COMFORTABLE bee to LIKE b, PLUS i could, BE i could go upper down just BE b MINUS b PLUS, b or even just to BE i Think i'm okay with any of those lots of guys you can dream.
Speaker 1: On we talked about so many solid.
Speaker 4: Arms we've seen their success in the past with guys like, this and then you look at guys Like curiol, who after having some time to sit with, IT i think THAT i like the batt of all profile a lot more THAN i did. Initially and there's a lot to like in the especially like the first ten ish rounds. Here this feels like a Very pirates, class if that makes any sense at.
Speaker 1: All, yeah it.
Speaker 2: Does it does in a different manner, though right like if you're used to the last two years Of Justin.
Speaker 1: Horowitz but it's.
Speaker 2: Interesting i'm you, know we'll see how the next couple of weeks play out in terms of who signs and who. DOESN'T i would bet that they signed all but, two but we'll. See we'll see. That that's always up for. Question you.
Speaker 1: KNOW i want to mention too, two just just to jump.
Speaker 4: In there's a lot of high schoolers THAT i thought we were gonna maybe take a swing. ON i was waiting for still one big. Splash don't really feel like we got, that which kind of worries me a little bit in terms of signability for a couple of these. Guys but this was a really fun class to cover with. You there's a lot of high schoolers that we didn't end up getting that we had on our. Boards, SAINTS, Relli skelton, two a lot of guys that we're gonna be excited to see in three years when they're back and potentially in black and gold yet.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Absolutely and you know that college game is just getting better and, better which is you, know mix that coverage even more. Fun but at the same, time we're going to continue our draft coverage On. Patreon this is going to be released on the normal, outlets this is gonna be episode three eighty, three but on The patron we're going to continue our draft coverage going into twenty twenty. Seven we're gonna start, Early, Jay we're gonna start real, early and we're gonna really hound into the prep and college scene going into this, winter especially with the known of next year when it comes to THE mlb you know.
Speaker 1: Lockout so.
Speaker 2: This Is i'll give this A b. Two this, class you, know very college, heavy Which i'm not used. To But i'm excited to see some of these guys that move quickly and see what they can do out of the. Gate next coming weeks we're going to see some of these guys sign and maybe be assigned to a specific affiliate and we can continue tracking them on the down on the farm. Segments this is, fun, Man i'm kind of sad that this draft is. Over any closing remarks on the twenty twenty six, raft this was.
Speaker 4: A super fun class to, cover especially with You. SCOTTIE i will, say it's kind of crazy to go from looking at a spreadsheet and drive myself crazy for like eight hours a day to go and look at like nothing and just look at social media and guys. Signing so excited to dive into the twenty twenty seven class with you and see some of these guys start to rise up the system because there's a lot to like.
Speaker 1: Here and next year.
Speaker 4: Too we were talking before we started recording that next year is a super super super strong and deep, class so exciting.
Speaker 1: Stuff absolutely.
Speaker 2: Well you know where to find us On, patreon you know where to find us on all the platforms to get your. Podcasts let us know your thoughts on this. Class i'm interested to hear from the from THE Uh pirates fans that follow them will be. Draft let us know your, thoughts like, comment, subscribe, unsubscribed subscribe, again, unsubscribed subscribe.
Speaker 1: Again you know the.
Speaker 2: Drill but until next, Time, jay this was, fun but let's hoist.
Speaker 1: It hoist it be seats at The. Pirates can't he let me run the?
Speaker 3: Base, yeah my time is like my money BECAUSE i can't afford to. Waste oh why see is alloyancing my date to my, dates or to stick by the plate sitting