Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Here We Go.
Speaker 3: Remix So Suprima So Supremo Role Car Suprema so Supremo Role car Suprema sup stop Supremo role called sprem Supremo ro.
Speaker 2: This is the picnic. Yeah, as you do know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the role of Laurence Hill, Yes, played by Tickelo.
Speaker 5: Supreme So Supremo Role car Suprema Supremo role call.
Speaker 6: My name is Sugar, Yeah, bring the folly yeah, brought some smokes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my niece Polly.
Speaker 5: So Supremo role call Suprema s Supremo roll car.
Speaker 2: I'm on paid bill. Yeah, feeling nice.
Speaker 7: Yeah, shout out to Ogis Yeah.
Speaker 2: And water race.
Speaker 8: Roll sup Water Primo Sun Sun Suprema roll call.
Speaker 9: It's like, yeah, it's picnic. Yeah, and y'all better.
Speaker 10: Get ready, Yeah, because we're about the Chicken Supremo.
Speaker 9: Shut shut Supremo roll call.
Speaker 4: Who's Supremo, Sir Supremo roll call.
Speaker 11: My name is Lonnie yeah and I am here, Yeah, straight from Harvard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is here, Carl Supremo Supremo roll Who's Supremo su So su Primo roll call?
Speaker 12: Her name is Woodbees. Yeah I know elephant. Yeah if this was bet Yeah, two intelligence roll call Supremo su Supremo.
Speaker 5: Roll who's up Prima subpremo roll call?
Speaker 10: Name is Dave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm from that sea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, from New England.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can bro Supremo Suprema roll call Suprima Supremo.
Speaker 8: Roll call Supriva s Suprema roll Suprima Suprema.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dope, wow man, audience participation. Where is Tigolo?
Speaker 9: Where is fun?
Speaker 2: The mean streets of Philadelphia?
Speaker 9: Someone he's getting cigarette.
Speaker 4: Yeah, always getting cigarettes.
Speaker 9: I got this whole house to myself. It's usually his whole man spread.
Speaker 4: Take this whole thing. Get cozy over there, get cozy.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Uh is this our fourth outdoors supreme thinking about chickens. I think so. Somebody knows it's the fourth.
Speaker 9: There we go, it's at least four. Yes, it's four, starting with Mark Lamont Hill.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, right, you're right, this is our fourth one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Another picnic?
Speaker 9: Yes, thank you sir.
Speaker 2: The weather is nice everything. This to me, this is this year is the least stressful picnic. Why mister questlos even though it was drama Field.
Speaker 4: It was drama field.
Speaker 13: We all know that.
Speaker 4: But it's it's least stressful. So I want to thank everybody for coming.
Speaker 9: This is the least stress he's ever looked.
Speaker 10: This is such a beautiful thing. I don't know we all were talking about this. We didn't know this because you were micro dosing.
Speaker 2: But I'm still micro dosent.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean everybody is to day honey, R dude.
Speaker 4: Usher had us up since eight this morning rehearsed.
Speaker 9: And so you know who were you rehearsing with this morning?
Speaker 2: Usher?
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, who who came up?
Speaker 2: With the fans? So can we talk about the fans?
Speaker 4: For where do we get this merch from?
Speaker 9: First of all, is.
Speaker 4: This Brittany cousin Jake.
Speaker 9: Brittany and cousin Jake.
Speaker 2: Brittany and cousin Jake, who keep the lights of one keep the wills turning along.
Speaker 9: With truth be told.
Speaker 10: A bitch is going through Perry. So I also was like, I know all my ladies would really appreciate this.
Speaker 4: I feel like we're official. This is our merch, I know.
Speaker 9: And it's in a mirror. It's not paper, it's not it's this is good ship.
Speaker 2: This is fancy. I dig this.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 10: Brittany. Would you like to show everybody, the Brittany keep the lights on, show everybody the shirt in the beautiful.
Speaker 2: That's how I produce, said to know and also, you know, shout out to our supporters here. Oftentimes we don't get to see the faces that listen to the show.
Speaker 4: And you know, I feel we you feel.
Speaker 2: The love, and we thank you for sticking with us for what we're like six years years, six years now wait seven years?
Speaker 9: I think we seven wait? Wait years, this is twenty three.
Speaker 10: Do y'all know the answers because we don't. Oh, Jake said of seven years yea, as a February we started.
Speaker 2: Is that Brian.
Speaker 9: Don God, he.
Speaker 10: Keeps the light so Don White, she keeps the lights on and shout out to everybody.
Speaker 8: I love it.
Speaker 2: Here's a nice piece of information. The first ever Quest of Supreme was actually Meet and it's being released this week this week? Is that true?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Finally after seven years?
Speaker 9: And why is it being released?
Speaker 4: I wanted to wait to our tenth anniversary? Yeah, but you know he is, Let's just.
Speaker 2: Do it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 9: On top of the fact that he keep getting nominated for Tony So.
Speaker 2: No, that's right, that's not true. That's very nice though. That's right, give it up. Are you guys aware that everyone has like legacy here that it's it's not about me, it's about like the team, like we know fan Takeolotle, but Bill Sherman is doctor Tony here, like besides besides Hamilton in the Heights, what else Julie and Juliet on Sesame Street of course, like if your kids watched Sesame Street. He's the reason why I was on Sesame Street. Like he writes all the.
Speaker 9: Songs, the n he's unexpectedly tall.
Speaker 2: You said, yeah, I was going to say, uh, back when I had eighteen jobs. One of those jobs you you had James Poison and I do some music for Pharrell song yep on Sesame Street. So that was for books. These for books. That that was my good talk. Steve, of course, who who's an avid jazz head in addition to being an engine like you know, he's engineered a co engineer all the albums that we love, like Voodoo and like all the common stuff like water for Chocolate, Like Steve is the engineer's engineer. But you know, Steve is also a really engaging figure. So you know, I told him it's time for you to get from behind the boards and be in front of the boards.
Speaker 4: And you started your jazz label.
Speaker 2: And you know we we.
Speaker 4: Previewed this week the new project.
Speaker 2: What's it called.
Speaker 6: It's called Plum Feature. The first time you're on the label now with David Murray and Ray Angle.
Speaker 2: This will be my second jazz album. Well, we have the filled Up experiment back in class two thousand and one. And now if you follow me on Instagram, you know I'm the king of like cryptic posts. So during the pandemic we did it.
Speaker 4: It was not even a jazz record. It's a jazz box set.
Speaker 6: It's like fusion something.
Speaker 2: How many hours is this the record? It's two and a half hours, four LPs, And yeah, he's it's a jazz So it's like limited edition.
Speaker 4: Or everything's limited edition.
Speaker 2: When you think about it, folks, who else is on your label? Who else?
Speaker 6: Is just all the greats in jazz right now, like David Murray and Eric Harland and.
Speaker 4: This summer, can we make the announcement of what the next project is.
Speaker 6: Well, we're dropping your album right the first singles coming out in like two weeks.
Speaker 2: Wait. Jazz records have singles.
Speaker 6: Jazz records have singles because we want to get on playlists.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, all right, So the first.
Speaker 6: Single from your box set's coming out in a couple weeks, and then we're going to drop the whole album digitally a month later, middle of July, you can hear the whole thing.
Speaker 2: And then then later this summer, can we tell them what we're going to work on next? Well, yeah, unless what you're doing next interferes with what we're supposed to be.
Speaker 9: Secret.
Speaker 2: Here, here's the deal. What I was planned on doing next just got pushed to September, so I kind of have the summer free to work on what I'm talking about?
Speaker 9: Is it Aristocrats?
Speaker 4: The Aristocrats? The aristocrats for me in the X rated movie?
Speaker 10: Is it? No?
Speaker 2: No, it's it's well. I mean, we we announced that we're doing the the Lled, the Dour, the Grammy. You remember what y'all saw the Grammy thing A. Did y'all know that we're pushing it back a couple of months to make it perfect? Yeah?
Speaker 6: So then great, And if the Tonight Show still on strike, we could actually.
Speaker 4: Right so we can make more albums.
Speaker 2: So basically, when I'm not working at the Tonight Show, then I get more jobs completed, so I can stop doing jobs.
Speaker 4: So it's been an interesting break. I feel like we're boring. I feel like there's nothing in your.
Speaker 9: Math having cryptic talk. We don't know what y'all talking about.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if you remember the Bob James episode of Quest Love Supreme, the last five minutes, we kind of talked.
Speaker 4: About, hey, let's get in the studio together and make an album.
Speaker 2: If you don't know Bobs, Bob James is you know legendary jazz. All the samples. If you love Peter Piper by run DMC, those are his drums. If you love Daytona five hundred by Tank Can all that stuff, that's Bob James like so many samples. So we're gonna go and knock out a record.
Speaker 9: Because you know, okay, tell us some more secrets.
Speaker 4: That's it, you know. That's but I will say that tonight.
Speaker 9: Y'all they know already.
Speaker 2: They don't know.
Speaker 9: Yes, y'all know about tonight.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no no. But here's the deal. There's a look for the older people that are like I might turn in early and you know whatever, when I when I tell you, and look, we we know that time is a time is a is a bottle limit time when I when I tell you, if what I just learned in the last seventy two hours, if it comes to fruition, this will be the roots picnic to beat historic Like, this is nothing. I had nothing to do with it. So I'm just saying that I got a phone call and I got a proposition about something, and it's happening. So you are in case, you know, in case you want to sort of kind of like am I turn in at seven o'clock or eight?
Speaker 4: You don't want to look on your.
Speaker 2: Instagram and realize that you missed a once in a lifetime thing.
Speaker 4: And so tonight's the thing to stay for it give.
Speaker 9: Some stuff out anyway, you know, if I give some stuff.
Speaker 2: Out, I don't even know.
Speaker 9: You know, it's it's we should just we have a real secret little you know. It ain't but a few. You know, it's only a few of us, you know, Can I can I just sing it? Can I sing a hint?
Speaker 2: We can't know?
Speaker 4: Let it like the thing about the surprise is let it be a surprise.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying, no, stop looking at la ya this quest love Supreme, No, don't this is whyte live shows.
Speaker 4: Look, I already told y'all enough. I told y'all that.
Speaker 2: Ship.
Speaker 7: You've started a riot anyway, what are y'all is this mutiny on that podcast?
Speaker 10: Don't grab a shirt, Mommy, don't grab a shirt. You'll get a shirt later. My mother is jumping for a shirt.
Speaker 4: I know we'll hook you up with shirts.
Speaker 9: It's okay, you covered.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Steve is releasing jazz records. How's life?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 9: Life is good?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 10: I got a podcast here today, shout out to Loven Grit. We got a pie cast tomorrow at five thirty here.
Speaker 4: We also a special guest or just a whole bunch.
Speaker 9: Of free ship.
Speaker 10: You know, they got a whole marketplace on the on the mountain. So y'all know we're gonna have I'm not saying that these Quest Love Supreme goodies aren't good, but you know, we brought Quest Loves whatever, but love and grit.
Speaker 9: We need a little bit more.
Speaker 10: So we're gonna have like some real dope shit and make sure you listening to and wall.
Speaker 2: Donald Is that you nice? Okay?
Speaker 4: So sorry, I'm really random, I'm really non secretary.
Speaker 9: This iss No, no, no, it's not that that's you.
Speaker 2: Know, like one of my favorite group, uh Krugman is Donald for me as a drummer, I don't I hate to put you on blast like this, but hopefully we will get them to play the Picnic in the next year.
Speaker 4: But Crugman, Oh yes, oh they're here.
Speaker 2: So anyway, but you know, my my, my passion for word is deep, and you know, so when I see my my fellow Wordle group members, I gotta give him a shadowt So what's up? How you doing? Wait a minute, can you come to the stage real quick? Come to the stage, coming to the State's coming to the stage. Are you gonna do a word with him? Yeah, we're gonna play a game of word. No, I mean, you know, I'm just we're doing you know, we're going to Little Rogue, We're going Quasis. It really is. No, it'll be it'll be a mini interview only two minutes. That's all another roll call or no, no, no, oh my god.
Speaker 9: Look guys, we have one of those dope signers. Oh thank god. And he's flying. Why do they also fly these days?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 9: Can you sign that I'm bumping? Is bumping? How are you? I'm sorry? Are you to welcome to the stage.
Speaker 4: So are you guys familiar with the instrument trio Krugman?
Speaker 2: Are you all well you're about to be yeah? No, no, for real, Like this gentleman is able to do something that I've yet to do, which is I mean, you guys just sell out. I mean you could probably sell out Madison Square Garden right now, like three times that. I know you're like, man embarrassed right now. No, but he is as far as like drummers are concerned, he's like one of my favorite drummers. And you know, if you're not into the group, you got to get into him.
Speaker 4: It's there. They're a trio and anyway, So how's it going? It's good man, all right.
Speaker 2: I know you came up here because you're a massive Isley Brothers fan.
Speaker 4: Yes, I have to say that at six pm, it's going.
Speaker 2: To be amazing.
Speaker 9: Can you tell us just like one thing about that you did? You have you been able to hear the set here?
Speaker 2: I'm putting it together. That's this is the only thing I'm doing a picnic musically. What wait, the roots aren't performing? What the whole goal?
Speaker 4: Like remember on the podcast where we were like, look.
Speaker 2: Amir, you have too many jobs So I was serious last year when I said the whole goal is that, you know, I want this festival to run itself without the roots having to perform. Now, granted, last night we did our show at the Wells Fargo Center, which it was an important bucket list moment for Tarika and I because, like, you know, we always dreamed to play the Spectrum or you know, like how many titles has that building had? Besides there was the Spectrum? Wait, why do you look disappointed that?
Speaker 9: Because I was trying to think like first Junion, first Union, right.
Speaker 2: It was so many things. But last night we did to a sold out crowd, played the the Wells Fargo.
Speaker 4: Man, say, the spectrum, that's what it is.
Speaker 2: I still say this. Do you guys call it the spectrum or do you call Wells Fargo that means y'all were born in the nineties. Ye see, I'm born in the seventies. We're forever going to call that the spectrum. So anyway, anyway, so as a result, I mean, Tarka is still going to do his mix mixtape thing, and James Boys and I are going to do this sole Quarium thing, and we're backing up the Isley brothers. I will have to. I want to make a quick announcement that it was supposed to be the Isley Brothers Amroy Airs brother Airs has fallen ill. Yes, he caught COVID over in Greece, so keep him in your thoughts and prayers. He's over in the hospital in Greece right now, recovering. He's doing well, but he won't be able to make it because he has to recover him from COVID. But yes, we have this, Oh my god, we do.
Speaker 9: Check out his choke ls classic.
Speaker 2: Ladies, suprema, give him Mike, give him, give him Mike. Here one. My name is Fante.
Speaker 4: I'm getting lit. Yeah, been an hour in the uber?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Fuck this ship?
Speaker 4: What the fuck of that trips?
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: We just got started, Fronte, Oh ship, that was funny.
Speaker 2: You cool man. I'm good brother.
Speaker 4: Tell me about your day, man, how was your morning? I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 2: How y'all feeling what up? Hey?
Speaker 9: Damn you're looking pretty.
Speaker 4: Nah, I'm good, you cool man?
Speaker 2: Tell us what happened? Appreciated what happened?
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 4: We ain't have no shuttles or nothing like. How we like talent and we ain't got no shovels and nobody.
Speaker 9: To pick us up like this, this is true. And I said, I said, you know what fante you says being in a shadow and.
Speaker 2: That was yeah, like I just you know what I mean, all right, I promise you next year we will be so much better from here on.
Speaker 9: I'm just telling you this today.
Speaker 4: I know, I know, I'm sure. Oh my gosh. Yeah, I feel like I feel like the podcast is over, like that was the best.
Speaker 2: We ever had was but no, happy to be here. Happy to be here, man, so real quick, Donald, just so I know what what what is the future of the band. Of course we know that Large just had a baby, so you guys wants to battle right now? But like, are you guys doing a new record or.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're in the midst of working on a new record.
Speaker 2: It's pretty much done.
Speaker 4: We're going to mix it next month.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what's up.
Speaker 4: Anyway, I had you in the deer in headlights just will fan take out here? But thank you kiss moment here.
Speaker 2: We've collaborated and we've never met.
Speaker 4: Really what are we just down for.
Speaker 9: Cobh yo?
Speaker 4: We were on mat Miller, I'll be there. Was that correct?
Speaker 14: Absolutely? Facts yeah, it's our first time meeting. Yeah, yeah, man, that's what I just found that out like a year or two ago. Beans and corn bread and it was oh man, respect by respect absolutely.
Speaker 2: Wait, y'all did a cover of beans and corporate bright Louis Jordan. No, no, no, it was it was it was the song I'll Be there by. It was by Mac Miller.
Speaker 4: It was okay, okay, okay, I missed that part.
Speaker 2: I think you meant yeah.
Speaker 4: They did the trains right, that's why I Mexica.
Speaker 14: Noah, Man, we did that joint. Yeah, that was like twenty eleven, I think something a minute ago. But not good to meet man a little rap after this.
Speaker 2: Sure he flew up uh once he found out that we were backing up the Isley Brothers today. I couldn't miss this. You know something else? All right, So I'm gonna I'm gonna ask you a question, and fine, you can answer this. So I curated the the set, the music that we're doing it that okay, for the for the Isley business, right, the legendary seven decades in the game Osley Brothers.
Speaker 4: And you know, I happen to be hanging with some people yesterday that.
Speaker 2: Were born in the late eighties early nineties, and so they asked me like, hey, are you guys going to perform the C word?
Speaker 4: And I said no, and right right, and.
Speaker 2: The shame that they put on me because we were not going to perform the song written by the artists that I guess we don't mention anymore, right, And it wasn't even that, like it just totally I totally forget that the Isley Brothers have a whole new identity to a generation facts in the nineties. But you know, I'm trying to cover like the classic samples and all that stuff, and so from one to ten like.
Speaker 4: Is contagious also canceled or.
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 14: Not for me, listen, I mean because when for me it was when when when he when you don't start off pooling, when we don't do it? Look listen, not in the set list. My thing is is not I don't think it's up to the audience. I think it's up to the artists. When Ron did versus, When Ron did his verses, he did though all them are killing records, he did all of them. So if he good with it, then what the fuck we got to say about it? Like that's his voice, those are his records. He's standing on it then, Ship, But that was not that wasn't me taking a stand.
Speaker 2: That was me being neglectable, like I've never right right, I forgot about contagious and it was a hit man.
Speaker 15: I know this, and.
Speaker 4: I just heard that. You know that if we don't do it, it might be all right.
Speaker 2: And I'm like kind of worried now because.
Speaker 14: Like, no, no, I think for him, for for Roan, for being you know, the age that he is, and to still have his gift to have his voice. I mean, I think you celebrate his whole catalog whatever he wants to perform, if that's what he want to do. We don't know how many more times we're gonna have this experience to be able to see him. We don't know how many you know, how many more festions he got? Man let let Ron.
Speaker 4: Cook Man Brits play all that, mister big ship Man, come on.
Speaker 11: Yo, like really like to take you jail like he can't like what we You know how many times you gotta play an R Kelly song on Spotify for that nigga to get some damn oodles and noodles out the commissary.
Speaker 4: Like this man is not a danger to no one anymore. It's over this niggas never getting out of jail.
Speaker 2: It's over.
Speaker 4: Let Ron do his jams.
Speaker 2: Fuck that ship.
Speaker 10: Speaking of set list though, so it's a historic weekend because this is also the return, not even a return little Brother.
Speaker 4: On night, What night are you guys with? Tomorrow?
Speaker 14: Three we go, we go right before Maverick City and see girls. Yeah, good, the right, the right's just in the ratchet right together.
Speaker 2: Just I love it. I love it.
Speaker 4: That's a perfect Sunday.
Speaker 2: It's great. You know, some wait, not not to bring up things that won't happen, but you know, I've shared this story with you guys before, but now I'm glad. Okay, I'm kind of glad that the weather is sort of in the condition it is now. Okay, So back when before us are graciously agreed to come and headline, back when we were in Diddy World. The first three weeks of planning, normally we start planning what we're going to do around February, and for about three weeks we didn't even start with the music. We started with the conversation of he said, if I do the picnic, I want to have the greatest intro of all time and I'm like, well, okay, what does that consist of?
Speaker 4: And he was like, yo, I want to enter with a helicopter.
Speaker 2: And then I want to jump out the helicopter and parachute onto a target in the middle of the crowd. And you know, I was like, take that, Take that. And I told him. I was like, yo, like if like what if it's cloudy and this. I gave him a billion reasons and that he's one of them cats, like if you say no to him, that'll just make him fight harder too. So I had to like Jedi mind trick him and be like, hey, that is a good idea, and then something he was like, all right, never mind, I don't want to do it. So but you know, I kept saying like, if it's cloudy or whatever, then we won't be able to do it because you can't have a helicopter this low on people. Well you guys get injured. You'd have to be up in the air and that's too dangerous. He's like, it's not gonna be cloudy, and thank god I was right.
Speaker 4: It's clouds, very cloudy.
Speaker 2: Remember the time Diddy couldn't jump out the helicopter because it was cloudy. That's like a real sentence that was just broken in a room full of people.
Speaker 4: He didn't jump out of helicopter at fifty four years old.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, man, so yeah there's that. How many minutes we got?
Speaker 10: Like, oh, we got like fifteen fifteen old minutes? Oh we we could do some questions and do something y'all want.
Speaker 4: You're a great host. I love this, You're an awesome host.
Speaker 10: So no, I was just gonna say, why don't we like have a little bit of fun, do some QLs trivia a little.
Speaker 9: Bit or anybody got we got questions?
Speaker 10: Because like this is really the first time that we're dedicating this podcast thing to our listeners. So y'all tell us, y'all got questions, y'all, won't we gonna.
Speaker 9: Have some fun? Casey, I already know you got questions. I already know.
Speaker 4: I already know. But in the yeah, let let melodec holes punk ass ask the first question. All right, I'm the only person a.
Speaker 2: Middle finger.
Speaker 4: And security roughs it.
Speaker 8: Out.
Speaker 9: You're punk out.
Speaker 4: Cameras don't work.
Speaker 2: All right, this is my nemesis, he d Cole, always snarking on my inste You know how legit black people that like any comment that he puts on w Wow, because there's there's a price to pay for siding with Melody Cole. You need to be humbled. Wait let me, I'll explain that the genesis of our beef, like it's really not beef. Melody Cole used to make fun of a sweater that he used to always wear twenty four to seven and where it's right and then I lost that sweater?
Speaker 4: But who was it?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 4: What's her name? What's her name? And transformers Megan Fox?
Speaker 2: Megan Fox, Right, she complimented that sweater and I was like, all right, now, I'm really gonna wear this ship.
Speaker 4: And he started hating because she liked it. You didn't just wear it, you slept in it. Yeah, you're lived in it. But yeah, meanative Fox. That's all right, all right, all right, So what's your question? Mal I really don't have a question. Do someone have a real question for West Love Supreme?
Speaker 2: Who has a real question? I really don't have a question. I was joking. It was Hi, Quest Love, Hello and high Team Supreme and Donald from Crumban everyone.
Speaker 15: Hi everyone, I'm a Philadelphia native, West Philly, West.
Speaker 4: Philly now saying what part are you allowed to say.
Speaker 15: Lancaster.
Speaker 4: I'm not so out in when we like around forty six, Oh this Lancaster. Yes, down here ten trolley.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got it good.
Speaker 15: I am a starting podcaster myself, so my question will be how did you start your podcast?
Speaker 2: How you get followers? And they forced me at comp No, wait, Liah, how did we start what? She don't even remember the genesis? Well, you just reminded me that this is our seventh year.
Speaker 9: Yeah, when did we start? How do we started?
Speaker 2: We started?
Speaker 4: She's starting her own podcast, and.
Speaker 9: I waked and baked.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. She hung up for me.
Speaker 4: Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think I came to you and said, hey, uh yeah's your podcast?
Speaker 4: This started?
Speaker 6: Okay, So Steve said, I'm a big star. You're a big star. Let's let's get together and we'll be a bigger star.
Speaker 4: Steve had a collection.
Speaker 2: No, Steve had a collection of these fake radio shows that he would host when he were like eleven and twelve. Yeah, yeah, right, And then I used to I think everyone does that, like everyone in our medium does the thing where they do like hey, I'm a I'm a DJ, and you do fake radio shows, and we were just like, hey, why don't we do this one day?
Speaker 4: And then I was a massive fan of Fonte's.
Speaker 2: Radio, the Guard Gartrell radio show that he did with former boss Bill and the ship.
Speaker 4: I did when I was eleven was better than that Fonte.
Speaker 2: And then Laiah, of course is a legendary h Philadelphia radio personality, power and other areas. And then we yanked Bill in because he was our well Hamilton was red hot back in twenty fourteen, and he was our first gout. I was the first I called you. I called you because Rudolph.
Speaker 4: My Rudolph had to postpone a week and we needed practice.
Speaker 2: So you the next step after my rude And that was a three hour episode absolutely.
Speaker 14: To answer to answer that question, to answer I was even gonna start a podcast. Definitely invest in like cameras or like I mean not, you've got about it. You can use your phone, But if you're making a podcast now you pretty much are shooting a TV show basically, like if you don't have the video element, you have to have the video element to support the audio element. So at that point it's like, why don't I just make a video show? So yeah, have you know, that's how you're gonna sell it. So just whatever your thing is, like, you know, make sure you got your h visuals for it. And we are very and we are very slow to do that.
Speaker 9: We got a whole soft salt sauce soft launch on YouTube.
Speaker 4: It's like for those who know, you know, an extremely soft launch.
Speaker 2: Soft y'all. Y'all told me we were on YouTube, and I was like, dude, I'm still in my pajamas.
Speaker 9: Yeah, with your red lights.
Speaker 10: Yes, it's okay, it's all about It's okay, it's real dal Okay, last question.
Speaker 9: What's your name?
Speaker 16: But it's Paul from the South Side of Chicago. I'm a fan of everyone on stage.
Speaker 2: Guy, my guy. Yes see I started talking like common yes, my guy, Hey, what up? Joe?
Speaker 16: Yes, yes, So what I wanted to know is I gots I'm a fan of everybody on stage. I don't know about the two white guys, but I know you know what, wait, wait.
Speaker 2: Wait, hang on a second. Is it possible we can get the microphones in the front monitors so we can hear what they're saying. I heard, I heard, I heard that's Go Go music. They're okay, They're allowed as hell. Anyway. Okay, So what I want to know? This question is posed for Fonte. Yeah, will we ever get a ninth Wonder and Little Brother project? Again?
Speaker 9: No asking them good questions.
Speaker 2: I ain't cut. I believe that things could be mended. He's saying no now, but I'm willing that one day a reunion will happen. I'm willing it. Anything gonna happen right now.
Speaker 9: It's no, y'all better look at Fonte and believe it.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no it all right.
Speaker 2: I can show you better. I can tell you.
Speaker 14: But I was saying, look, the Little Brother documentary made a little watches coming and we talk about everything.
Speaker 2: Can I can I ask something about the documentary? Absolutely? It is ninth in the documentary.
Speaker 14: No, god, damn man, let me and let me be clear, let me let me be one d per. We reached out, we asked, you know, we were like, yo, be a part of this, you know, come tell your side whatever. He never responded, So that's what it is.
Speaker 2: He might have had an old number.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I had the right number.
Speaker 2: He's currently on my producer's threat right now. All right, next question, But it was boost up from Philly. Hi, you're saying ten minutes.
Speaker 17: But I had the I had the privilege of going to Club Fluid for many years, yes, where Questlove was the DJ, and I wanted to find out, do you do any DJ and local like local spots like that, you know what?
Speaker 2: Okay, So just last week or two weeks ago, when I guess the way that Janet Jackson scheduled her tour, you know, she was sort of a victim of the playoff circumstances, so she was actually trapped in Philadelphia for like ten days while the Sixers were in the playoffs, not in the playoff, that sort of thing. So we threw her a surprise party at the Divine Lorraine Motel and it was well, it wasn't even a We couldn't announce it, announce it. And I guess the way that Stacy's parties are like, they instantly sell out. So I will say though that I had so much fun that Stacy and I talked about the reunited and.
Speaker 18: Right high Quest Love. I'm Benjamin. I'm from Germantown, Germantown. Hello, Heio, Benjamin good Good.
Speaker 4: I have a question.
Speaker 19: I saw you a long time ago at the Middle East and there was a battle between Scratch and you were there that night and nice to see you every Monday at Silk City Wood Britt.
Speaker 2: Yeah that night.
Speaker 20: Okay, so people who people went for my question who did you like working with more Scratch or Roseellee.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the weird thing, Like, you know, so the story of that night.
Speaker 2: The Roots did a show at the Middle East in Philadelphia, and I guess, you know, Scratch was in another Philadelphia group that we schools of Thought, and you know, we had Rozelle in the group, and I guess, like, you know, it's possible that Scratch thought that he's the only bat box of that level in existence. So when we came with Rozelle, I guess he he friends were gassing them up, like, oh man, they saw Schools of Thought and put a be boxer in. But the way the Roots are is like if we see somebody dope, we just like, you know, the way that we pulled build into this podcast, we just hey, you play Tuba, join the Roots. Like remember when the Roots were just a trio and now we're like earth Wind and Fire with twelve members. It's just we don't get rid of members. Well maybe a few, but there's you know, people just joined the fray. So during that whole performance, Scratch and that entire crew did the meldcole and just had middle fingers up and it was just so random, like why do you guys put the middle fingers up? I thought we were cool. And so they battled and you know, then the show ended and then we got the last word. We're like, oh, you want to battle, We're gonna steal your member.
Speaker 8: Get over here.
Speaker 4: Then we we stole Scratch from that group and put him in the group with Rozell.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I have fond memories of working with both, you know, so shout out to Scratch and Ronzel. I don't have a favorite. I love them both. So thank you.
Speaker 4: Mc dows.
Speaker 2: I love it. Thank you, brother mc dowells. I love I love that nice. God bless you. My name is Jay Love aka six y nine, not shure. Why they call me? Why? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I was like, do we want to pro further to that as we'll talk anyway.
Speaker 2: No, we're not talking. I'll tell you anyway. Thank you.
Speaker 13: I'm from Pete Town, Virginia, home of Missy Elliott.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh man, yeah, no, no, go ahead.
Speaker 13: I know how you trust me I've been listening since Maya Rudolph okay, so I already know that the interesting Twitter relationship so so one of the commonality I thought my voice is gone because of the Wells Fargo Center yesterday.
Speaker 2: I was super excited and I lost my voice. So I apologize, thank you.
Speaker 13: One of the commonalities between and a lot of you is my man James Yancy.
Speaker 2: Yes, and.
Speaker 13: God, I'm getting this video because y'all don't understand how often, like Monday morning, when those notifications hit that a new Quest Love Supreme episode is on, I'm listening to it at work every single time, and listen to the classics. I mean, I listened to him over and over. I put my friends on right now. They listen to State Property, but they'll be here, thank you. But I'm telling you, I just would real quick. I just wanted to ask because I read diyla time and it talked about the beat battle that y'all had in the basement yes where he did the Ashley's Roach clip sample and the shows that joint. I play it all the time before I even knew about it. But I understand, of course, with little brother having a track together that I was supposed to happen, and y'all left his name in there anyway, which was beautiful to me. So and I know Steve has been engineering with him, of course, with like the like water for chocolate and things of that nature. So I wanted to ask you, all the ones that have a relationship with Dyla, what was your best moment music with him?
Speaker 14: I can go quick because mine is probably the quickest story out of everybody. We never got a chance to work on music together, but we did meet. It was at Rock the Bells in two thousand and four, and it was four or five something like that. But anyway, we were working on minstrel show and by the time we got to Rock the Bells, Hiding Place was already done. When we reached out to him to we wanted him to rhyme. Originally Hide in Place was going to be him and L's a rhyming on it. We wanted both of them, but at the time we didn't know how sick he was, and we were recording in North Carolina, but we couldn't figure it out. But anyway, we saw him some months later at Rock the Bells and I got a chance to play it for it, and I played in the track and I was like, yo, man, this is joint we wanted you on, but we got l on it.
Speaker 2: We finished it, you know, I hope you like it.
Speaker 4: And we just played it and like he was not into it, and now it was over.
Speaker 2: He was like, Yo, it's's dope. It's dope.
Speaker 4: He didn't really say a whole lot.
Speaker 19: He was like yo.
Speaker 2: He dapped me up.
Speaker 14: And I was like, yo, man, just thank you for the music. Man, like you really are, like kind of was like a north Star in a lot of ways, you know. So I was just thankful I got to give him those flowers and him and mad Lib Rock they did a jay libset and uh and that, Yeah, that was it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'll rep you. Uh it was an electric Lady.
Speaker 4: It was probably water for chocolate sessions.
Speaker 6: And uh, Dyla was using my personal MPC the two thousand, which I hear I broke it.
Speaker 4: No you're still using it now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was using that one, and y'all were huddled around him, you common James whoever was there, Pino.
Speaker 4: And everybody was just watching him make a beat on the NPC.
Speaker 2: Ever was studying right like it was a.
Speaker 4: Bunch of gods watching another God, yes, you know, like do what they do?
Speaker 2: That was like that. I don't remember what what song it was or anything, but that was, you know, at the studio. Here's the story. I don't think I've ever shared it before. Like I know that the the opinions of Commons Electric Sir this album have changed in the last twenty years. Like there's a lot of snark in the beginning, a lot of he fell off, he got whatever, and then people came around to it. And I know that one of the most difficult songs to sort of digest was Jimmy was a rock Star And here's the thing. The next two Time Traveling on like Waterford Chocolate. That's literally I think Time Traveling and Jimmy was a rock Star was one of the only times in which the four original Soul Aquarians, James di'angelo, Dila myself actually played like together at the same time. So for like for Time Traveling, Dila was on Roads doing the baseline first, and then I Can and then James is on the Oregon. Then DeAngelo came in last and did that little woodblocky thing that's on Commons Verse. But the the jam session that resulted into Jimmy was a rock star. Like I think the raw tape is like that was damn there, like a thirty minute jam session that I didn't expect to ever see the light of a day on a record. But Common was just at a place where if it didn't sound like a head nodter thing.
Speaker 4: Then he was going to put it on the record.
Speaker 2: So we were just fucking around with like new keyboards and technology because when Dyla, when we first started the project, Dyla's like, all right, everything that we used to do, do the opposite.
Speaker 4: So new keyboards, new drum machines, new I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't change my drums. I refused to, but like and like pro tools instead of tape and just a whole yeah, Like we just did the exact opposite of like water for chocolate and with him, like he was just messing around with different frequencies and different new moves and all that stuff. So we were just fucking around and then next thing I know, Common found a good nine minute inside that thirty minute psychedelic jam and next thing I know is a complete song. So also what's good about that was when we were doing the final mix, that's when Prince came to visit us. So in addition, like Prince and Dilla worked. I like the fact that Star sixty nine there on that track together. You know, Dyla started the track and then Prince came in out of his guitar parts later.
Speaker 4: So you know, wow, cool, cool, cool stories.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 10: Listen, y'all. I think that's a wrap before we go. Oh things to look forward to. I was thinking we could share with everybody coming up West Left suprem episodes that you might want to pay attention to. I'm a just shout out President Bill Clinton. That's right, that happened in real life and in person.
Speaker 4: Yes, Bill Clinton and all William Jefferson.
Speaker 9: We talked about music. That's all we did.
Speaker 10: He closed it out black music, mom. So I just want to say that and make sure you go check out FTE tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're performing up three.
Speaker 9: They're three Little brother and in a half.
Speaker 2: Hour I'll be on stage with the world famous Isley. Yes, and we are not doing the C words, so I'm sorry.
Speaker 10: And don't forget to watch the Tony's to see if Bill comes out of Winner again.
Speaker 9: Don't forget to buy all of Steve's records.
Speaker 4: Yeah, buy them all, and then you.
Speaker 9: Know, listen to all my podcasts. All write us all I asked, and uh.
Speaker 10: We'll be giving away the rest of this precip right in front of the stage if y'all want something, because we love y'all.
Speaker 9: Ain't got paid for it.
Speaker 4: I got a meet and greed over there, Sugar Steve, meet and greet to the left.
Speaker 9: Thank you mommy, thank you for coming. Thank you cousin there.
Speaker 10: Well all right, thank you mother, shout out to thank you for joining us.
Speaker 4: Thank you support Grugman, and and thank you for coming to the Bruce Picnic.
Speaker 2: See y'all later.
Speaker 12: Thank ye jam.
Speaker 1: What's Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.