Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Law with June Brossel from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: The President has already signed seventy three executive orders. That is more than double the number signed by Joe Biden and more than quadruple the number signed by Barack Obama over the same period.
Speaker 3: Despite the enthusiasm from the White House Press Secretary, a president signing an executive order is not an indicator of success. It's simply a directive. Witness how many of President Trump's executive orders are already mired in legal battles. With his executive orders, Trump is making a brond push to centralize the power of the federal government in the White House.
Speaker 1: And now a judge who's an activist judge wants to try and stop us from doing this.
Speaker 3: And why would they want to do that. I campaign on this.
Speaker 1: I campaign to the fact that I said government is corrupt.
Speaker 3: And this week, in a to clamp down the power of some of Washington's most powerful regulators, Trump issued an executive order declaring he has direct control over dozens of independent agencies like the Securities in Exchange Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, and the Federal Communications Commission. It allows him to direct their rulemaking, policy agendas, spending, and interpretations of the law, undercutting the congressional protections against political influence that independent agencies have historically operated under. Joining me is Carrie Colinisi, who directs the University of Pennsylvania Carrie Law School's program on Regulation. Carrie, will you broadly explain what Trump's executive Order on independent Agencies entails?
Speaker 4: It is taking several strands of White House review and oversight of administrative agencies that have normally applied to those agencies that are non independent, called executive branch agencies, and now applying that same suite of oversight mechanisms to independent agencies. The point is that this is now sort of treating independent agencies as if they're no longer independent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, explain what being an independent agency up until this point entails as opposed to executive branch agencies.
Speaker 4: So executive branch agencies are like the cabinet level departments agencies like the Environmental Protection Agency that are headed by officials who are appointed by the President, confirmed by the Senate, but then they can be removed for any reason by the President. So if the President just doesn't like the tie, even that one of the administrators might be wearing or whatever a tire they might have. You could fire them for any reason whatsoever. Usually that be in the form of policy disagreements. You know, if they're not following the administration's agenda, then.
Speaker 5: They can be fired.
Speaker 4: And that puts a lot of leverage and control on what agencies do or don't do. Needless to say, independent agencies have been established by Congress with a kind of tenure protection where the heads of those agencies can't be removed just for any old reason or for policy disputes with the president. There has to be some really good cause before president can fire the head of an independent agency. And those independent agencies include a lot of multi member commissions like the Federal Communications Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, the Federal Reserve Board. They are headed by officials who have fixed terms of office and can enjoy some sense of autonomy that comes from knowing that they can't be fired just because they're adopting policy decisions that might not be in a total alignment with what the White House wants.
Speaker 3: But the President does appoint the heads of these agencies, right, so they do share his philosophy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so there's often in practice a great deal of alignment already between what at least a majority of the members on these commissions want to do. Many of the commissions have a political balance requirement, so they allow for a majority of the commissioners to be of the same political party as the president, but there needs to be some minority of other commissioners. But once you have the majority control on a commission and they're appointed by the president, they are coming in with an ideology and a predisposition to do the sorts of things that the president wants. Anyway, so as a practical matter, these agencies are now as totally independent as maybe the label an independent agency might make them seem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because when a new administration comes in, you see the different kinds of enforcements. For example, the SEC it was very tough on crypto, for example, and now with a new SEC under President Trump, it seems to be letting go of crypto, so to speak. So, I mean, you see, the difference is in the way the agencies govern from president to president.
Speaker 4: Right, So that always existed and you know, many respects. It may be you know, eighty or ninety percent of the way there for what a president wants by way of controlling the direction of these agencies. This executive order, though, eliminates, at least its claiming to eliminate what kind of hands off approach that quite frankly many presidents have taken with.
Speaker 5: Respect to some of the.
Speaker 4: Very institutionalized review processes, of having budgets not reviewed by the White House, of having regulations not.
Speaker 5: Reviewed by the White House.
Speaker 4: This administration is now claiming, well, We're not only going to have our loyalists heading these agencies, but we also want to scrutinize your budgets, we want to scrutinize your strategic plans, we want to scrutinize your legal decision making, we want to scrutinize your important regulations, just like we do the Department of Transportation, just like we do the Department of Labor. All of those are agencies that are headed by folks that have been appointed by the president, too right, and share the president's objectives. But you know what white houses have found is that you know, they want to coordinate and they want to make sure that all of these you know, dozens of dozens of agencies that are conducting activity, are doing the president's bidding and sometimes you know, you can get heads of these agencies that have viewpoints that do depart a little bit from what the White House wants, or heads of agencies that are not as vigilant about carrying out the president's agenda. And these institutional processes that the Trump administration says now it's going to apply to the independence are there to try to really put the hammer down and make sure that agencies follow what the White House wants them to do.
Speaker 3: So under this executive order, the agencies would have to take positions that are the same as the presidents and the Attorney generals.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: Some independent agencies also have independent litigating authority That means they can go into court and say some things about what the laws that they're implementing say and what they mean that haven't been vetted by the Department of Justice like an executive branch agency has. And so this executive order is aiming to bring that process of coming to independent understandings of their statutes under an umbrella of White House review and the Attorney General and Department of Justice review.
Speaker 3: And it makes Russell Vaught, the OMB director, like a super regulator. Everything goes through him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could look at it that way, right, And this has been a process for regulations at least that have been that's been in place since nineteen eighty one, where there's some centralized review of regulations of executive departments and agencies. This is now saying independent agencies, you also need to have your new regulations reviewed and approved by O and B before you can go forward and put them out.
Speaker 3: I mean, the agencies have particular expertise, so then you're going to have someone who doesn't have that expertise overseeing this.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: It's a particular problem with this latest move to bring on board independent financial regulatory bodies under O and B review because the particular office within O and B that reviews regulations, known as OIRA or the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, has built up expertise and capacity for the kinds of regulations that they've been reviewing over the last forty plus years, which are you know, tend to be transportation, environmental, health and safety and so forth regulations, not financial regulatory decisions, because the financial regulatory agencies haven't fallen under the ambit of their review. So if this is going to be any meaningful expert oversight of what independent financial regulatory bodies are doing. OHIRA will need to build up its internal capacity to understand and evaluate the benefits and the costs of financial regulations, something it doesn't currently possess.
Speaker 3: And how does this order treat the Federal Reserve.
Speaker 4: Well, it brings the Federal Reserve as a regulator under the ambit of the Executive Order, but it specifically exempts the Federal Reserve in its exercise of monetary policy decision making from White House scrutiny and oversight and control under the Executive Order.
Speaker 5: So, at least for.
Speaker 4: Now, and this is a good thing for the country, the Federal Reserve's monetary policy is supposed to remain independent and free from political interference from the White House. Not so with respect to say, the banking regulatory functions of.
Speaker 5: The Federal Reserve.
Speaker 4: At least as this order is is now drafted.
Speaker 3: Each agency would have to have a liaison to the White House.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's supposed to be a liaison to the White House.
Speaker 5: There's DOGE leaders.
Speaker 4: That are now going to, you know, be helping the White House oversee what's going on at these agencies. In some ways, it seems a bit of an overkill. If you already are putting in place loyalists at the very top of the agency, why you would need this additional layer of scrutiny or oversight. But yeah, that's what's contemplated here.
Speaker 3: Coming up next on the Bloomberg Law Show, I'll continue this conversation with Professor Carrie COLINIESI. Well, the Supreme Court support Trump's power grab. You're listening to Bloomberg. I've been talking to an expert in regulatory law, Professor Carry Colonies of the University of Sylvania Law School, about an executive order from President Trump this week claiming vast control over independent agencies like the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Trade Commission. What do you think are some of the dangers of a president taking control of independent agencies in the way envisioned by this order.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a lot of practicalities behind the order. At least, let's start with the regulations that will need to be worked out. I've already mentioned the need for expertise by folks in the White House Regulatory Review Office, but there's also other aspects of that traditional review process that just don't fit structurally at all with a multi member commission. It's really been a model designed for overseeing agencies that are headed by a single administrator. The White House staff goes back and forth with agency staff and ultimately even with the agency head at times to work out any disagreements or iron out any wrinkles that there might be.
Speaker 5: How that works with a.
Speaker 4: Multi member body. I don't really know. In fact, the current process that this new Executive Order says will apply to independent agencies regulations has a dispute resolution process that specifically says the agency head shall be able to appeal some disagreement with O and B to the President. It's not clear who the agency head is in a multi member commission. Do they all have to vote on whether they go appeal something to the president or not. There are going to be some guidelines that are supposedly issued by O and B as to how this new executive Order gets worked out, and so I think, you know, some of these practicalities will have to remain as to the large your issue about, you know, what we're getting and what we're losing. I think all agencies, whether they're executive branch agencies or independent regulatory agencies, need a degree of autonomy from the kind of raw politics that can often be important to presidents, and I think are clearly important to this president.
Speaker 5: We don't want a government where.
Speaker 4: Agencies are acting on impulses of favoritism retribution, and some presidents might want that, this president might want that. And if we don't have a degree of autonomy and our governmental institutions from that kind of raw politics, we really suffer as a country.
Speaker 3: This is all part of the theory of the unitary executive, which gives the president sweeping powers sole authority over the federal government's executive brand. And the speculation is that the Trump administration wants to push the Supreme Court to adopt the unitary executive theory.
Speaker 4: Right they're basically acting is if the Court has already adopted wholesale the unitary executive theory by in effect overturning the nineteen thirty five Supreme Court decision called Humphrey's Executor. That decision, the Supreme Court said that Congress can create these independent agencies that are headed by officials who have some kind of tenure protection and can't be removed at will by presidents. You know, this administration is taking action that one would expect to see if Humphrey's Executor had already been determined to be unconstitutional, that is that Congress isn't allowed to insulate any agencies from presidential removal. That will they're firing already some officials at the NRB that have had good cause protections and taking other actions like this executive order that are very aggressive, and I think they're setting up and hoping that they'll get the Supreme Court to overturn Humphrey's Executor. It wouldn't be a big stretch to expect the Supreme Court will do that. The Supreme Court's been whittling away.
Speaker 5: At Humphrey's Executor for easily.
Speaker 4: Ten years or so now, and you know it's probably expected by most observers to be on the chopping block. The big deal will be if Humphrey's executor goes, Will it go big time, that is, by sweeping in civil service protections and protections for the federal reserves, monetary policy, or will there be some way that the Supreme Court says, well, it's unconstitutional for Congress to create insulation for every other position in government, but we still think it's okay for civil servants to be protected with some good cause protections or for the Federal Reserve when it's adopting monetary policy to have that. Hard to know exactly how the Supreme Court will decide when this case comes before us, But I think it's headed there, and this administration, I think is already acting in effect as if it's been there.
Speaker 5: And they want do we know.
Speaker 3: Which Supreme Court justices are fully behind the unitary executive theory.
Speaker 5: Well, I think there's probably a good majority.
Speaker 4: That are inclined to this. I mean, you know, as Chief Justice Roberts even has been kind of spearheading decisions to whittle away at Humphrey's executor going back to the decisions that first started to say that we couldn't have sub agencies that have good cause protection if the head agency did that was held to be unconstitutional. Then it was held that you can't have a single headed body that has an administrator that's got good cause protection. So there's a clear majority that looks suspiciously on these They've just been moving incrementally and maybe waiting for the case that will take it to the next step.
Speaker 3: I don't understand why a judge would want to give more power to the head of the executive branch on check power. I would think they want to keep more balance between the branches of government.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I think if you look at at a lot of the cases over the years, and there haven't been that many, but when these issues have arisen, the courts have been suspicious of Congress's power, believe it or not, and Congress's power to kind of interfere with the administration of government by putting in place limitations on who can head up agencies or how they can be removed. And I think there's been, you know, some sensible decisions that have said, you know, Congress, you can't pick who are the heads of agencies, or you can't yourself have a role in deciding whether an agency head is removed or not. But you know, now those cases and the suspicion of Congress is sort of going to the extreme. And you know, we do have justices on the Court who have spent time, like Justice Roberts and Justice Kavanaugh and so forth, who have spent time working in the White House, and maybe that has emboldened them to think in presidentialist terms. There's also I think a mindset of sort of formalist, rigid hierarchical authority that some of our justices and the majority seem to exhibit that they think that there should be just one person at the top of the executive branch who should get to say everything that the government does and have the ability to shape the course of all policies. Now that's not really I think how the text of the Constitution is necessarily written. There are actually no provisions in the Constitution dealing with the removal of officials, So you know, it's not something that's demanded by the text of the Constitution, Nor is it really in our history, whether at the time of the founding or subsequently, to say that Congress can't create bodies that have some degree of autonomy from the president.
Speaker 3: So we're a month into Trump's second term and the administration is already going to the Supreme Court asking for an unusual invention, asking the Justices to step into a newly filed lawsuit and allow the president to fire the head of a federal whistleblower agency Hampton Dellinger. Do you think how the Court handles this will be an indication of how they're going to respond to other attempts by Trump to gain power.
Speaker 5: Yes, or no.
Speaker 4: I mean, it depends on how sweeping they want to make their decision. It could be that this is just a very narrow decision that follows from a prior precedent, like I was saying before about where you know, there's double layers of protection that can't exist, or so forth. It may be a very narrow decision, in which case we might not learn very much. I suspect that's probably the easiest thing for the court to do, but you know, I prize that Trump versus the United States says, yeah, well, are the court wanted to really go at it and make a very broad ruling about presidential immunity?
Speaker 5: So we'll have to see.
Speaker 3: Most people are assuming that lawsuits are going to be brought over these executive orders, but we've seen that in some of these cases over executive orders, the judges are finding that the plaintiffs don't have standing to bring the case, basically an interest in the outcome of the case. Who would be able to bring a lawsuit over this executive order? I mean, the heads of the agencies are Trump appointdee, so they're not bringing a case right exactly.
Speaker 4: It's going to be difficult because, first of all, the executive order itself is hard to challenge. As an executive order. It has to be some kind of concrete decision that an agency's making that adversely affects somebody that you can claim would not have been made that way but for the executive order. And there's creative lawyers out there, and there will be arguments in lawsuits that I think.
Speaker 5: Will be filed.
Speaker 4: Whether they're persuasive to the lower courts or ultimately to the Supreme Court remains to be seen. It is though the case that you know, executive orders rarely are themselves directly vehicles for litigation. It's the actions that follow from them. And as we were talking earlier, sometimes these actions that might be thought to follow from them might be just due to having a loyalist in these independent agencies to begin with. So it may be hard to untangle how much an adverse action that is being challenged is due to the executive order versus just having a loyalist heading up the commission. It's going to be probably facts specific, and I think it also is a pretty long shot given the predisposition of a majority of the Supreme Court to be a pro presidentialist.
Speaker 3: I'm sure Trump will keep the Supreme Court very busy. Thanks so much, Carrie Death. Professor Kerry Coliniesi, who directs the University of Pennsylvania Carry Law Schools program on regulation. Coming up next on the Bloomberg Law Show, Jay and Jay is on trial in bankruptcy court over its plan to end thousands of lawsuits over its baby powder causing cancer in a bankruptcy settlement. I'm June Grosso. When you're listening to Bloomberg, Johnson and Johnson is trying to use the power of bankruptcy to drive a settlement of thousands of lawsuits filed by women or their family members who claim it's baby powder gave them cancer. Jay and Jay, one of the most profitable companies in the world, has put a very small unit into bankruptcy to achieve this end. Courts in New Jersey and Philadelphia stopped earlier attempts by Jay and Jay to tap bankruptcy, but now the company is betting on a different conclusion from a Texas court. Joining me is Stephen Church, Bloomberg Bankruptcy Reporter. This case has a long and complicated history. Tell us how we got to this point. With a trial in Houston Texas Sure.
Speaker 1: For the last ten years, Johnson and Johnson has been fighting allegations that painted baby powder, something that has asbestos in it, allegedly pauses ovarian cancer and other gynecological cancers in women who use this powder just about every day. Those lawsuits have slowly been building. There have been more and more than filed. Now there are about sixty thousand lawsuits that have been filed and another twenty five thousand or so claims that have not yet been filed in court but are still being prepared by lawyers. The company has fought them throughout the entire time and has refused to settle, and has claimed repeatedly that there is no scientific link between bata by powder and other calc based products and cancer. The problem is they've had at least one major verdict that went all the way to the Supreme Court, forcing Johnson and Johnson to pay out more than two billion dollars two about twenty winning. That got the company's attention, and they tried to find a new way to resolve these all at once. That new way, just a few years ago, was to go into bankruptcy court. The theory is they took a small unit and made this unit responsible for paying off all the CALC claims. Then they gave this unit a contract that promised that Johnson and Johnson would cover all the expenses. They've tried this three times. The first two bankruptcy cases of a unit of Johnson and Johnson where they tried to create this settlement failed. They're now on their third attempt, and this third attempt has gotten further than the other two. They're after an actual trial where a judge will decide whether the plan to pay nine billion dollars out is legitimate or has fatal flaws that cannot be approved.
Speaker 3: I don't know how many attorneys there are, but there are many attorneys and they're fighting. Some want the settlement, some don't want the settlement correct.
Speaker 1: There are about two dozen or so prominent attorneys who represent tens of thousands of women who have some sort of health issues that they claim came from the baby powder or related products. Most of those attorneys have settled with Johnson and Johnson in this third effort, and they have agreed that a trust fund with nine billion dollars in it will be set up to handle almost all of the talk really claims. There may be a few hundreds that are exempt, but almost all of these claims will go to a special trust where they have rules set up to decide who gets paid and how much they get paid. Holdouts, a handful of attorneys who represent several thousand women object. They say there isn't enough money and that the plan itself is flawed and legally can't be justified.
Speaker 3: What made it different this time around was that Johnson and Johnson got pre approval from a majority of the claimants.
Speaker 1: Yes, Johnson and Johnson made a couple of changes in between their second failure and this third effort. After a Philadelphia federal appeals court rejected their second attempt to win approval of this trust fund, Johnson and Johnson negotiated heavily with many of the plaintiffs firms and got a new deal. They added more than a billion dollars on top of the original offer, bringing it to nine billion. And they also did something that happens in many bankruptcies, big giant bankruptcies, where they took a vote of all of the claimants in order to prepackage the bankruptcy case. They wrote the plan, they developed the trust, and they asked more than eighty thousand women to vote in favor of it. Many of the women did, most of the women. Johnson and Johnson claims that more than seventy five percent voted in favor of the plan. The holdouts claim that those numbers are not accurate because of some flaws in the way the voting took place. They claimed Johnson and Johnson bought votes. They claimed Johnson and Johnson counted votes in favor of the plan that should have been counted against the plan. And so that's a very technical aspect of this trial. Was the voting fair? Was it in compliance with these detailed rules that happen in bankruptcy court? Both sides have spent a lot of money fighting on this case.
Speaker 3: Is that the main question that the judge is going to decide? Or is he going to decide the fairness of this? I mean, what's his major question?
Speaker 1: There are two big focuses. The one is the voting. Was the voting does correctly? Then once you get past the voting, there's another set of objections that might be even more serious. Those complaints are mostly coming from the US Trustee, that's the arm of the US Justice Department that is a watchdog in corporate bankruptcies. Some of the holdout playments, some of the holdout women who are assuming also back this type of argument against the plan, and that is Johnson and Johnson is one of the world's most profitable companies. How is it possible that they can use these special bankruptcy rules that are designed for companies in financial distress, companies with serious financial problems in order to cancel a bunch of debt and create this new trust. Jaun Cheen Johnson argues, well, there's an exception under a law that Congress passed many years ago, cases that are about asbestos. If a company uses asbestos, which is a known toxic substance in one of its products, and that company files for bankruptcy, then related parties related companies can also benefit from that bankruptcy case. So in this case, the two big issues are was the voting done properly? And then step back, did Johnson and Johnson even be allowed to take advantage of these bankruptcy rules If the company itself doesn't go bankrupt and they take advantage of this tiny little unit put it in bankruptcy, and then that giant corporation gets the benefit.
Speaker 3: Is the bankruptcy trustee afraid that this would set a precedent if Johnson and Johnson's allowed to do this.
Speaker 1: There is that argument that this will encourage other very profitable companies to use sort of a loophole to avoid bankruptcy themselves. You can dump and eliminate these big lawsuits without actually going bankrupt yourself.
Speaker 3: Was one of the first witnesses, one of the plaintiff's lawyers talking about, you know, the position that some of his clients are in.
Speaker 1: Yes. What's unusual about this is that there's only been one major victory against Johnson and Johnson that made them all the way through the appeal process, and that forced Johnson Johnson to pay money to victims. What has happened until now is many of these cases have been stuck on appeal. So some women have won hundreds of millions of dollars, but those cases were overturned on appeal, and now there are still fights going on in state courts and in federal courts over whether some of these cases should eventually be upheld or rejected. That has stalled a lot of the plaintiff's lawyers from being able to move forward. So the net result is that none of these women have actually collected money from Johnson and Johnson other than that one unusual case that've been all the way to the Supreme Court. One lawyer testified earlier this week that he has at least twenty thousand women that he represents who haven't collected the dining yet, and his argument in favor of the cases, this is the fastest way to get money to them. Put the money in the trust and then let the women go to the trust explain their situation, fill out a whole lot of incredibly complicated forms explaining their health condition, how they got cancer, what cancer stage they are in, what types of ailments they have, and then a trust board will then decide, based on complicated rules, how much they get paid. That this attorney and many of his allies argue is the fastest way to get money into the pockets of women who have cancer.
Speaker 3: Is it expected that this decision here would be taken up on appeal and then eventually end up at the Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: Most of the lawyers in the court room in this trial have accepted the idea that there will be an appeal no matter what. Whether that appeal goes all the way to the Supreme Court is an open question. But the Federal Appeals Court in Texas has a much different standard when it comes to certain kinds of cases and how you decide whether a case fits the law than the Philadelphia Appeals Court. So the assumption is that when this gets appealed, no matter who, whether one side wins and one side loses, somebody is going to go to the appeals court in Texas, the Federal Appeals Court in Texas, and that's where a lot of the answers will come from, probably the last stage. But even that could be appealed to the US Supreme Court, and if that happens, we could see a precedent that other companies will will try to take advantage.
Speaker 3: Of, and that appeals court will be the Fifth Circuit, which is the most conservative circuit in the country and has often come up with, shall we say, novel theories of the law. Thanks so much, Steven, we'll check back with you at the end of the trial. That's Stephen Church, Bloomberg Bankruptcy Reporter, and that's it for this edition of The Bloomberg Law Show. Remember you can always get the latest legal news on our Bloomberg Law podcast. You can find them on Apple Podcasts. Spotify and at www dot bloomberg dot com. Slash podcast Slash Law, and remember to tune into The Bloomberg Law Show every weeknight at ten pm Wall Street Time. I'm June Grosso and you're listening to Bloomberg