Speaker 1: Welcome to Reasonably Shady, a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network and iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to another episode of Reasonably shake Dy. I am Jaseelle Bryant. What's that? What's up?
Speaker 1: This is Robin Dixon. I hope you are having a wonderful Monday. Yes, a wonderful summer.
Speaker 2: A wonderful holiday. This is this is the holiday?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, this is lights, camera action, fireworks, barbecue. Where is your Where is your barbecue? Are you? Are we having a barbecue? Are we eating? You know what? Anything that's on the queue? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Are you hosting? I'm not hosting. Okay, I don't do you have Do you cook on the grill? Because I don't know how to use mine? Yeah, I cook on the grill.
Speaker 2: Okay. Mine has never been used, will probably never be used. I don't know how to use it. But I do have a very nice girl. Really, yes, oh man, I need to use it. Okay, you did your whole outdoor space. I know I need to get into it. I've been busy robbing.
Speaker 1: Why don't you have like, I don't know, one of the men in your life come over and yeah, or I can just have like on the grill, a real chef, maybe a barbecuer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like partake and you have a little party. Oh my gokay, it's on come to my house. You don't like tomorrow during the summer. No, no hot dogs on the grill, ribs, salmon, none of it.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I don't even like smoke, Like I don't like smoke, you know, because because the barber. If you don't know what you're doing, it's a smoke fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I when I'm outside on the grill, I actually put a shower cap on my head because I don't want to.
Speaker 2: In my hair. I don't want you have to take a picture of it. I don't. I'll be there my shower cap on the neighbors like, Hi, okay, does like the black people live at whatever your age is it? Okay? So does does wine cook on the groundpe? Okay? I think I already knew that answer. So when you're cooking on the grid with your shower cap on, what is Win doing inside? Watching TV?
Speaker 1: Or we might be like, oh, the flame looks a little how you might need to turn.
Speaker 2: It down out. I'm a need for him to make you a drink or something. He needs to stur up the lemonade.
Speaker 1: Yes something, you're right? Yes, absolutely?
Speaker 2: Okay. So today, as we celebrate independence, I would like to share that my daughter is officially quote independent. Grace is at college orientation or yeah, she's doing a little a little summer action, and I want her to embrace her independence. Now, when do I get to say she's not independent? How many times of her asking me for money? Right? Okay? So is it like the four time she's gone asked me to cash? Have her the third time? Which one?
Speaker 1: Is it? Okay? Wait? So I assume they get this, she gets an allowance or no.
Speaker 2: So she had some really nice job situations. Yeah, and I asked her and that she got paid for. I asked her, you're like, you know, you need some money or whatever. She said, I'm good. Now, if a child who's eighteen tells you they're good, right, believe them. Okay, walk away, Okay, turn around.
Speaker 1: But clearly she's no longer good. Why because she says she's asking you for a moment that she hasn't yet.
Speaker 2: But I'm the question out there is, oh, when are they not independent?
Speaker 1: She's not independent yet?
Speaker 2: Not till she gets a job at W two pays some Yeah.
Speaker 1: Not until she's like I mean, in my opinion, not until she's graduated and actually like working, has her own apartment, her own place.
Speaker 2: Yes, true, yeah, very true. But I'm very I'm very proud of her.
Speaker 1: Did you when you graduated college, did you like go to work right away and have your own Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I think I've moved back home for like two three weeks, and then I had a job, and then I got an apartment.
Speaker 2: I got an apartment with a girlfriend of mine, a roommate. Yes. And then she I was so excited, fell in love. Oh, and so she was always was there. She was always at her boy. Matter of fact, you know the guy she married, Oh you do? Okay, his name is blanking on me right now. Who's the guy who's a real estate agent? Oh boom, yeah, yeah him. So they fell in love. She was always at his house. I had the place to myself. She still continued to pay the rent, thank god. And then after a year, I went got a place by myself.
Speaker 1: Okay, nice, Yeah, yeah, I definitely. I graduated college, I got a full time job. I did prolonged. So instead of graduating in four years, I graduated in four and a half and.
Speaker 2: I did that. It's called super senior.
Speaker 1: Super senior. I did that on purpose. Why Rob, I didn't, like I knew, like while I was in like those four years, I was like, I'm not ready to like go out and be in the real world. So I'm just gonna like not take instead of taking what five classes?
Speaker 2: I took four? I thought it was because your father wasn't available to write your papers or something something like that. Just kidding, not kidding.
Speaker 1: So anyway, So after my four and a half years of college, Okay, yeah, I got a job and then I had a roommate and then where was one?
Speaker 2: He was still in college? How many years did he take?
Speaker 1: So? You know, one played basketball? Yeah, I'm aware, Okay, So he finished he did so, he finished his college eligible. He finished playing basketball in college. He played four years of college basketball.
Speaker 2: Let's get the story straight. I'm getting it.
Speaker 1: I'm getting it together. I'm got it together.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So he stopped playing his senior year. Ye mean, okay, he played four years of basketball Maryland.
Speaker 2: Are you sure?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Okay, two thousand and two. Well, Jesus, he finished his playing his basketball playing career at Maryland. Okay two Okay? Then he went to play in the NBA. Okay, and then in two thousand and thirteen, okay, he went back and finished his course.
Speaker 2: Oh that's nice. Yeah, Okay, that's actually admirable. It is.
Speaker 1: However, during that time, so from between two thousand and two and twenty thirteen, every summer, like every NBA off season, I would say to him, one, go to summer school, like work on your degree, go get your finish a degree. Finish a degree. And he would always be like huh. He would always like put it off, and he'd be like, oh, I'm gonna play basketball time. I'm like fifty, I don't need it, like I mean, you know, like no, I would play basketball for like another ten years. Like he would always put it off off, And then two thousand and nine was his last year of playing professional of playing NBA basketball. He played a couple of years overseas and he had like he ended up having really bad knee problems, and so he was forced to stop playing. Okay, so he stopped playing. He didn't have a degree. Can't really get a ton of jobs without a degree, especially like he wanted to go in coach, and he couldn't even start his college coaching career because he didn't have a degree. Oh so, then it came back to them, I told you so, said.
Speaker 2: That, Rob. Hell yeah, I said that, Robin. That's like the key. You know, You're never supposed to say I told you I told you so all the time. What do you yeah, I told you so, girl?
Speaker 1: I am and I told you so girl, No way, I am.
Speaker 2: Okay. So, but he'll even come back and be like, you were right. I know, but you're supposed to allow him to say, Robin, you were right. You're not supposed to say.
Speaker 1: I told you so, and I'd be like, mm hmm, I told you so. You okay, So you ain't want to listen?
Speaker 2: Okay? Do you which one? Do you which one happens first? Do you say I told you so first? Or do you wait for him to say it and then you say I told youself because that's important for a relationship and we weren't even supposed touch on relationships today.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I think he'll say it first. You think, yeah, he'll say it first, and then I'll be like, mm hm, I told you so.
Speaker 2: Any want to listen? Okay? So that's that's that's respective. That's better that's better. But if you come at him, like charging at him, because I've done that a time or two. If you start charging at him like I told you so, with your fake pointing your finger.
Speaker 1: Well no, I don't do it that bad, Okay, but he'll be like you know during that time, Man, I want to I need to get a job, but I need to agree, and i'd be like, mmm, I told you so. Any want to listen all the and then I go on to the little rant autumn years, every every summer, every off season, I said, go to so, go to summer school. Go to summer school. Do you only have nine credits left? Go to summer school? You only had nine? Yeah, you can do nine in one summer, can you. Yes, that's three courses.
Speaker 2: That's three courses, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have like an internship and like a couple other classes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he got the big I told you so. Yeahsh how we got here, been here?
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're happy.
Speaker 2: So one received his independence his collegiate independence Get Independence Day twenty thirteen from the University of Maryland. Yes, congratulations one. And you decided to extend your college experience because you just want to live like to the full list.
Speaker 1: I should have I should have done a whole year. But you know, just.
Speaker 2: Robbing your parents. Let me tell you something, they love you. Yeah, okay, because my father said, you got four years of my money right now after that.
Speaker 1: And it's crazy. I was so blessed. I didn't really realize, like how blessed you are? Know, like how much tuition cost?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all of that, Like, oh I was, I was.
Speaker 1: I had a good childhood, yes, and I didn't even realize it, clearly speaking of speaking of how much tuition goes.
Speaker 2: So this is a funny story. So at they don't let you pay tuition until you register. Until you register, right, clearly that makes sense. You have to register for your classes and then you pay.
Speaker 1: Okay. Yeah, Grace's father was leaving where she leaving where she is before she registered, so he just went to the registrar's office to pay anything.
Speaker 2: There's no such thing, okay. So he was like, I'm trying to give y'all money. Y'all't want to take my money, and they was like, sir, calm down, and he was like, y'all gonna take my money. No, long story short, Grace has a nice credit and it'll balance out one day. Yeah, okay, he said, you ain't coming for me.
Speaker 1: Yes, my daughter is not her academic h well, he just didn't want to deal with it later.
Speaker 2: He just just like, I'm here. I'm in the office. Mind you, the the two pay office. There was no one there, right, the financial aid office? H what's afram? What's that thing? It was freak nicking that. Okay, it was so many people in there. Who lord? Okay, but anyway, I digress. We want everyone to enjoy their holiday season. Yes, we're not going to keep you all long because you know it's the holidays, and we know that y'all have a barbecue to get to y'all have to eat some parties. Barbecues.
Speaker 1: You can get the cues crabs, so cook some some hot dog hot's.
Speaker 2: So what's your favorite from a barbecue?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: I love like the ribs.
Speaker 1: Mmm? Really I like hamburgers. Cheeseburgers, do you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Nice cheesey cheeseburger. Cheeseburgers are all not all created equal. That's very true, Yes, very true.
Speaker 2: Who made the cheeseburger? Right?
Speaker 1: And where did you buy the burger from?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Was it like the big super frozen pack? You know of like one hundred patties. You put the girl and they shrivel up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or and the bun. The bun is very important.
Speaker 1: The bun is important too. Yeah. So if you have a burger at my house, you want to get like the nice, the nice, juicy, thick, okay burger then yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay. So I have gotten sick at a barbecue eating a hot dog. Be careful with these hot dogs, y'all. I didn't know, like, it wasn't really cooked. I thought they were. No, well, oh are they? I don't know. Something happened on that grill. I was beyones. So I will never eat a hot dog as someone buy someone else's grill. I don't really eat hot dogs, but you know what I'm saying. Yeah, I like the ribs if they're nice and juicy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so good. I just don't like this. This is too messy for me.
Speaker 2: What the ribs? Yeah? Okay, So you need to you need to. I'm about to go to a crab boil. Oh. The people there have no idea. I'm bringing like a couple of plastic bags and I'm taking my crabs home. Really, yes, they have no idea. I'm coming for the bucket of crab.
Speaker 1: You know what, it's so weird. I had crabs recently. We had crabs in my house recently, and in the middle of eating them, I like really was like, I don't know that I like these that much anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh really, Yeah, listen, I had some crabs recently and I was like, oh my gosh, these are amazing.
Speaker 1: Really, yes, yeah, I mean the crabs they were. There was nothing wrong with the crabs that I had, but I think didn't like it. Yeah. I think I'm just like I'm over it for me, like, you know, to be from Baltimore, Like.
Speaker 2: That's that's saying a lot. Okay, So you're going to the same crab party that I'm going to, so I'm gonna take your portion. Yeah, okay, right, and that's that on that. But anyway, guys, enjoy and we will see you next Monday.
Speaker 1: Happy fourth of July. Happy Independence Day, Happy Independence Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fireworks going off exactly. Yeah, oh no, that's betters cool. Okay, goodbye,