Speaker 1: All right, Lucy McBride. You are a Harvard trained physician, you've treated patients for more than two decades. You've got a new book out called Beyond the Prescription, which is about health and navigating our somewhat imperfect health system. Why do you think we need this book now?
Speaker 2: Michael? First of all, thanks for having me on the show. You know, I see this scene play out in my office all the time. People come in having been dismissed, talked over, hurried through a medical appointment, through no fault of the doctor. The system just doesn't have time. We treat patients like a stead of transactions, like a bag of organs, instead of real people with real lives, real limitations on what they can do based on what the doctor recommends. And then what do people do? What would you and I do? Is you go on the internet when you don't feel well, of course, and you are flooded with information, sometimes good information, but sometimes expensive, aspirational and pseudoscientific. So I wrote this book to empower patients to squeeze the juice out of that fifteen minute appointment with their doctor and first to ask themselves a set of more nuanced questions about what health is to begin with, and how to bring themselves a sort of a more honest rendering of their whole health ecosystem to the medical system.
Speaker 1: To put you on the spot with some numbers. Are there any numbers that come to mind that sort of indicate where the health system is now as far as it affects patients.
Speaker 2: Compared to our wealthy peer nations, we spend the most money on healthcare and have the worst outcomes. Six and ten Americans are living with a chronic disease. We can map the human genome, we can three D print a beating human heart, and medicine is extraordinarily good at treating diseases at damage control, but it's terrible at sitting with the person and who has the disease. So health isn't just about you know, diagnosis codes and prescriptions and pills and you know, dispensing of advice. It's about understanding that what the question is to begin with? Who is this person in front of.
Speaker 1: Me and what do they need to be healthy? And then your book also gets into what do we even mean by the word health? Right, I want to get into that. I had that later, but let's get into it now because I thought that was fascinating, Like people say, I want to be healthy, but what does that even mean? And figuring out what that means important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it turns out you really need to know why you're alive, and like, what does healthy mean to you? It's very easy to default to what someone else's definition of health is, particularly in the era of you know, social media and online information. You know, for a lot of people, health is about a certain set of metrics, or a certain body size, or a certain set of labs. But health is a uniquely personal phenomenon. So I ask patients specifically, like what are you looking for in a year? Like what does health look like to you in a year, in five years, and ten years, like what do you want to be doing? How do you want to be feeling? And when you ask people that kind of question, first of all, they're often stumped because they're like, well, I guess I just want normal cholesterol and I guess I want you to give me an a plus on my checkup, And I'm like, well, health is not about me. It's about you, right, It's about you feeling a sense of agency over your health, so that when you're faced with a decision like should I get a flu shot, or should I take lipidoor or just work on diet and exercise. You feel like you have information and you're an informed consumer of these decisions. You may be somebody who wants to be own natural and you don't want to take medicine at all costs. You may be somebody who doesn't want to think about the why, the lifestyle factors that play into your health, and you just want the pills, the prescription see you next year. You don't want to deep dive on mechanism. You just want to be told what to do. And that's fine, but it's important to understand who you are and what your goals are and what health actually looks like to you before we operationalize a plan around it.
Speaker 1: So that seems to be one of the main potential issues with the medical system is like you come in and it's just like, oh, labs, labs. It kind of the question of what does health actually mean to you? Doesn't get asked. What else do you see that you think are some of the fundamental problems that we have.
Speaker 2: Well, if you look at the way the system is structured, is it rewards patients for volume, for the number of patients seeing like RVUS instead of outcomes. Yeah, so the commodity that insurance companies value is transactions, prescriptions, procedures. Right. We spend ninety five percent of healthcare dollars in the US on downstream damage control hospitalizations, er visits, prescription drugs. Only five percent is spent on conversation. The conversation between primary care doctor and patient. You know, conversation is you know, is not what's happening in doctor's offices. Right, Like again through no fault of doctors. But when I'm given even ten minutes or fifteen minutes with a patient, and I can put my pen down and instead of looking at my screen, but look at the human and their eyes and ask them what's really going on in your life? Like what are you embarrassed to say out loud? Or what's the worst what's your worst fear? Or you know, let's say they come in and they're telling me they have chest pain. I can triage that, fine, I can order KG, I can order some labs, but you know, you have to ask a number of questions first, like what's going on? Your chest pain may have started the day your spouse will diagnosed with cancer, It may have begun when you started taking an anti inflammatory for your knee pain and you've got reflocked. Like it takes time to surface the actual problem the patient is coming in with. It's much easier just to deploy a set of tools and like algorithmic sort of investigative tools on a patient instead of understanding the why. It turns out you can save a ton of money, you improve outcomes, and you increase patient's sense of agency and satisfaction when you just spend time. But that is not what our system rewards. It rewards the doing and not the sitting with people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if I'm a patient, what do I do? So if my doctor has the fifteen minutes? What's my move there? Am I do? I got to sort of press them on, hey we need to have a conversation or what do you think actually works?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean this is why I wrote a book. Well thanks, I think it is a good book. I think it's it's work right. So what I'm asking people to do by reading this book is I'm saying, look, your doctor doesn't have time. It's aspirational to think that your doctor's going to have time to understand how your divorce is affecting your sleep, which is affecting your blood sugar regulation, which is affecting your diabetes. That stuck's not going to happen in my lifetime. Maybe it will. So what I'm asking to do with this book is sit down, and I want you to map your health ecosystem. I want you to take this library of questions I put out there to surface the sort of nooks and crannies of your health. Not just what you eat, like your doctor will say what are you eating or what your what's your diet like? Or they'll just say like eat less sugar, exercise, more sort of prescriptive advice. I want you to map your health ecosystem by asking yourself more in depth questions. What's your relationship with food? Do you eat when you're hungry or do you eat when you're stressed, boored, you know, feeling anxious. Let's talk about exercise. Is it a sure? Is it a should? Or is it something you enjoy doing? Are you not doing it not because I didn't lecture you hard enough, but because your avoidance of some pain syndrome that you haven't really thought through. Or are you over using exercise as a proxy for you know, managing anxiety. In other words, I want you to sit. What I want you to do is ask a little more sophisticated questions of yourself that your doctor just doesn't have time to ask you, so that you can then have Aha moments in your living room and have Aha moments when you're reading the book and say, oh, my gosh, I never thought about the football injury I had in high school and how I subtly favor this side of my body and that makes my whole skeleton off. And then my chronic pain is driving my sleep, and my sleep is driving my brain fog, and my brain fog is making me, you know, inattentive and anxious. Like all of these things are related. Yeah, and you need to connect the dots on your own. Unfortunately, it's on the patient to do a lot of pre work before you even show up in the doctor's office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have a lot of amazing anecdotes about that that never kind of like aha moments for me where someone will come in for, you know, one reason, and then you start talking to them and it turns out there's this whole other thing going on under the surface. Right, How did you, like, how did you start to because you're in the system, right, like, you have to work with patients relatively quickly. So what was your own aha moment where you started to realize, Oh, there's all these other things going on. It's not just the blood sugar or the headache or whatever. It is, Like, what is actually all the underlying reasons behind that?
Speaker 2: So, first of all, I'm not in the system. I was in the system, and I saw the patients were being treated like a set of transactions. So I built my own practice in order to be able to have time with patients, and I've i brought in a number of other doctors who also left academia to be in a place where they can actually treat the person, not just the diagnosis codes. But I've always been interested in Michael in the human experience of illness. I myself was a patient. I myself was a patient. I was a victim of the same system that we all participate in, and by the way, we all need doctors. I was somebody who had a number of health problems in her twenties who just needed to be asked like how are you doing? Like what's going on? I was tested for brain tumors and giardia, I had MRIs. I had every lab test in the world, and when I was told your labs are normal, you know, pat on the head, I felt more crazy and I just got sicker and more anxious and sicker and more anxious. And so it took me kind of doing some like investigatory work about like who am I and what's going on and like where to get the help that I realized like, wait a minute, this thing that I'm studying, Medicine is excellent at ruling things out and damage control and treating disease, but it's not great at understanding this person. And if we're not as physicians, equipped trained, or given time to, you know, elicit what's actually going on in people's lives, even a mundane interaction can go completely wrong. Like I can recommend lipatore to you because it's the right thing to do after a discussion of you know why you're cholesterol is high, but you need to trust me enough to say, you know what, Doc, I may not take that because I'm worried about X. Like you have to have trust and rapport with the person who's dispensing advice about your health so you can be the best doctor in the world. The best trained physician all the tools and be appropriately prescribing medications. But unless that person trusts you and understands and believes that they have your best interest in mind, they're going to do anything you say. So you know, I'm sure it's true for you in your life and for people listening to this podcast. The people in your life who you trust are people who listen, who pause, who ask follow up questions, who are humble about what they don't know, who are saying, let me help you figure that out. They're empathetic and like I think doctors are those things, but the system has squashed the humanity out of medicine such that it's very hard to practice in those conditions. It's hard for patients to feel like they're understood. It's hard for patients to believe the advice are being given.
Speaker 1: Do you have a sense what sort of share or percent of patients come in for a health issue where the underlying issue is just kind of a life issue.
Speaker 2: Oh, i'd say. I mean, first of all, every single health issue has a life issue attached to it, So I'm not saying that like every person with chest pain has some like psychological problem underlives, but I will say that it's not surprising anymore because I've been doing this this long. Everybody has a story. The most important data that you have often isn't in your lab tests, you know. I mean, you can take two people with the same high blood pressure reading, and one person got there because they're in a they're having a tough time in their relationship, they're drinking too much alcohol more than they want. They're not sleeping while they're stressed at work, they're drinking coffee to stay awake and alert, and they're just kind of wired and tired and amped up. And their blood pressure problem doesn't need more blood pressure medicine. It needs someone like me to say, look what's going on, understand it, and say, look, let's work on stress management, a plan to help you moderate your alcohol without lecturing you and making you feel bad. And then another person could have a high blood pressure because they are genetically predisposed to high blood pressure. They are eating a low salt diet, they're exercising every day, they follow the Michael Easter two percent plan. They are taking the stairs and not the elevator, and they just have high blood pressure and it's not there's no psychological element to it. That's that there's always psychological element of blood pressure. I have patients come in and their blood pressures high just by seeing me.
Speaker 1: That's me, that's me in the doctor's office. It's always through the roof when so.
Speaker 2: Psychology is always relevant, right, And then I have patients who are anxious about the idea of having high blood pressure, and so then they give the high blood pressure when we're checking it, and then it's this sort of like cycle. I'm like, look, we're not going to check your blood pressure in my office ever again. I'm just going to have you do it at home. So like you cannot separate emotional health from our physical health and the way our bodies show themselves in your everyday life or in the doctor's office. So it's always relevant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So, speaking of two percent, you did a piece for my sub stack called the comfort Crisis in the doctor's office, and I think the big point of that because my audience on subsec and also on this podcast, they're generally health motivated people. You kind of wrote that they're great at pretending that everything is just absolutely perfect. They're doing all the right things, but they won't really bring up the uncomfortable things that need to be unpeeled. What should what should people actually be telling their doctor given that?
Speaker 2: So let me cavy up this by saying that it's hard for people to talk about hard things. It's hard for doctors sometimes to countenance uncomfortable subjects like sexual dysfunction, you know, disordered eating addiction. But if I had one question to ask people at their annual checkup, like a well well person visit, it would be like, what are the things you're What's the thing you're most afraid to tell me out loud? Or what's the thing you're most embarrassed to say to yourself? Because the things that people don't say out loud are often the things that are sort of eating them up and that are causing them to have that gravitational pull towards alcohol or sugar or doom scrolling or just some other avoidance behavior, some behavior that's causing them to numb out or dissociate. And you know, our health is informed by our behaviors, right like behavioral health like the way we eat, the way we sleep, the way we exercise, the way we move, the way we relate to other people is inforigned by our thoughts and our feelings. So like, unless you elicit like what's actually going on inside, you're really kind of nibbling around the edges of understanding that person. Yeah, so it's a great moment when a patient can tell me, like, you know what I am feeling, like really, I'm perhassed by my boss, or I am worried that I haven't had sex with my partner in five years. And that opens up a whole conversation that is empowering to the patient because there are things you can actually do about that. There are things you can actually help people with. I mean there's you know, from relationship based counseling to vaginal estrogen and hormone therapy to just normalizing the experience of someone feeling vulnerable in their workplace. I mean we're all walking around like feeling vulnerable and scared, and you know, we self medicate in many different ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like that opens up what the what the real underlying problem is. Just trying to do some other stuff on the side is not going to fix I mean, you're just kind of like, you know, trying to add tire to the wheel that has a giant hole in it.
Speaker 2: That's right. So It's not that every disease process has some like psychological underpinning. It's that he human beings have thoughts and feelings and behaviors that have to be woven into the conversation about health. Even when you think about like compliance with medications, or you know, I can tell people all day long, eat less sugar, exercise more, lose ten pounds, see an next year, right, and that's a lot of doctor's appointments, right. Yeah, But unless someone's given a roadmap and sort of a pathway and also like interval check ins, it's really unrealistic to think someone's going to make a behavioral change. I mean, behavioral change is arguably the most difficult thing to do, like in ourselves. And when you're advising someone else, it sounds really good to say, look, take this prescription, lose ten pounds, get more cardio, get more strength, work sleep eight hours flows after every meal. But unless that person is a trusting of my advice, believes that this is actually going to help them, it has a realistic, sustainable plan laid out for them, it just doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. I mean that's one of those things where you know the government has been giving that advice for free since about nineteen fifty, and so just hearing it one more time probably is again to move dile. You need some sort of okay, well, how do I actually put it in my life. We'll take a break and then Lucy will explain the upsides and the downsides of the wellness movement. If I go online, say on Twitter, there's a lot of people in the wellness sphere who say that doctors just push medications today. What is your response to that. I feel like doctors are taking a lot of heat today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're taking a lot of heat. And I think, you know, I understand that. I mean, people are really really feeling disenfranchised from the medical establishment. They're feeling disenfranchised from their own bodies. But again, I will say this from the hilltops, like it's not doctor's fault, right, This system is anti doctor, anti patient. Your question is about the wellness industry. By the way, I am pro wellness. I'm wellness adjacent, like I welcome wellness. In fact, that's what medicine needs to adopt is the concept of wellness, which includes helping people, meeting them where they are and understanding who they are, and then empowering them with tools and information that apply to their actual situation. But because medicine can't do that well, the wellness industry has taken its place in many ways. So your question was about when you see like a wellness influencer talking about doctors just prescribe medications. I think it's true that doctor's default to prescription writing you're crying in my office. Here's prozac high cholesterol, here's lebataire high blood pressure, here's a beta blocker. When what's empowering to patients is aunderstanding where lifestyle factors may play a role in lowering blood pressure, lowering cholesterol, improving mood, and then using medications as a tool, just like you know, exercises. I also think the wellness industry can be equally prescriptive. You know, it's like, got bloating, Take this supplement, got you know, brain fog. Try this when the bloating maybe because they're constipated and they need to have more dietary fiber, or their brain fog maybe because of metopause and they need hormone replacement therapy. So it's not an either or, it's a both. And the question isn't do people need prescriptions, and you know sometimes supplements they do, it's whether that advice matches the individual's actual problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where have you seen wellness help patients? Some might be obvious. I think you'd probably say, like exercise, eating, Well, where have you seen it actually harm them? Because you had some interesting anecdotes in the book about people who tried some wellness things that backfired.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, nature doesn't always have our back, right, I love, I mean, nature is wonderful, right like, but but like, arsenic comes from nature. And I've seen patients have liver failure from green tea extract. I've seen people overdose on vitamin D. You know, if one is good, then five is better, and then they're vitamin D toxic. I've also seen people be so anti prescription that they think they can kind of like out exercise their genetic coronary arter or disease. So take my patient who's in his mid fifties, who is a lifelong athlete, and I think it's great that he comes in every year with like spreadsheets on his you know, he's got his CGM, he's got his step tracker, he's got his like you know, personal records for various.
Speaker 1: Time, whoop scores, mild time, exactly everything, and that's awesome.
Speaker 2: That floats his boat like that. For someone else would be like, you know, too much surveillance on the bodily system. But for him, it works. So he couldn't believe it when I said, I think we should do a coronary artery calcium score to look for the presence of cholesterol plaque because guess what, your cholesterol is high despite being a significant like exerciser. He was like, there's no way, So we did it. He has coronary artery disease, and all of the evidence in cardiovascular medicine says, if you have a non zero cholesterol scorer, we have a stricter LDL cholesterol goal. So he wanted to exercise his way out of that, and I understand that I love people who want to do the work. The problem is you cannot scrub the insides of your arteries with like cold plunges and more running right. You actually need both. You need libertoor you may need one of these new medications to drop his LPA, which is high his lipeoprotein the lay and exercise. So what I see is this false dichomy between like medicine and wellness when actually they go hand in hand. And I wish that wellness influencers trusted you know, evidence based medicine more, and that doctors weren't so snooty about wellness practitioners who are helping people every day. I think the movement to help understand mental health is wonderful. I think the sort of democratization of information about diet and protein and fiber and healthy fats is wonderful. I think cgms can be wonderful even for non diabetics. I think that there's a lot of good being done in the wellness space. I think that work is necessary, just not sufficient for health. You can't meditate your way out of you know, breast cancer. You can't. There's there's no amount of quen, waw or kale that can help you with your genetic predisposition towards you know, dementia. Those things are important, but they're not sufficient.
Speaker 1: What sort of conversations you have with patients who are really interested in wellness, like what do you guide them into? Are people coming to you with well have you heard of this, I'm thinking of doing this? Or are they already on things? Since one thing that I thought was interesting, is you noted in the book that a significant amount of people don't list supplements or tell their doctor about supplements they're taking. So if they end up going on a prescription, those can react in a bad way. So what sort of conversation should people have?
Speaker 2: So I want people to be honest about what they're taking. I think the reason people don't tell their doctors what they're taking is because they don't want to be shamed for taking a supplement. Yeah, right, Like I think doctors are notorious at, you know, looking down their nose and being like, well, you don't need that crap, when first of all, we don't know a lot of these things. And secondly, I'd never want to shame a patient that does not do anything for our sense of like, you know, our rapport. Over the past two years, patients have you know, come to my exam room increasingly with answers from a chatbot, like you know, interpretations of their lab results, and recommendations for various supplements. And I welcome an informed consumer. I just want people to know that just because something's natural doesn't mean it's going to be a panacea. You know, if you have depression. We have abundant evidence on the ways in which we should we can treat depression such that you don't need to turn to you know, Saint John's Wort and you know alternative treatments. Like there's still a box. Like I love thinking outside the box, but there's still a box. There's still evidence based medicine. I don't want to worship at the altar of evidence based medicine at the exclusion of thinking outside the box. But there's still a box.
Speaker 1: We're going to break. And then Lucy is going to explain the five steps you need to take to become what she calls the CEO of your own health. So, given what we talked about so far, you have this idea that we should become the CEO of our own health, and then you have these five steps to do that. So I want to get into the steps before we do what is sort of the big picture on this idea of becoming CEO of your own health.
Speaker 2: The big picture idea here is that we are all too commonly passive consumers of health information and advice from our doctors and from wellness influencers. What I'm trying to help people do by reading this book is get in the driver's seat of their health, to be more proactive instead of reactive, and to be a critical thinker when it comes to what you need, where to get it, who to trust, and how to ask better questions of yourself and the people responsible for your care. Becoming healthy is an active process. It's not passive. And I don't mean like getting healthy by just starting exercise and eating better. I mean the act of understanding your whole health, the biological, psychological, and social elements of your health that are relevant today and ten years from now.
Speaker 1: So step one and we kind of we kind of touched on this earlier, but Step one is redefine health on your own terms. Because we already sort of explained what that means, how do you tell people how to actually do that and what's the process look like?
Speaker 2: So ask yourself some basic questions like what do I want my health and life to look like in a year or five years or ten years? You know. So this is particularly relevant for my older patients where we're deciding on how to streamline their medication lists and how many appointments do they want to go to, Like do they want to be sort of doctor surfing or do they want to trim the trees and triage and think about, like, what's the most important set of medical sort of appointments they need to keep, and where can they sort of let go that hinges entirely on what their goals are and what their tolerance for risk is and what they're looking for. Right Because just because you can sort of dot every eye and cross every tee of someone's health in the medical system we live in, doesn't mean you should.
Speaker 1: Yeah so, but.
Speaker 2: When you're a young person, even if you're thirty, and you're listening to this, like, I don't want the average thirty year old to assume that health is about someone else's idea of health, like these kind of look smaxers or these like people who are following these prescriptive you know, diets or prescriptive types of exercise, Like I love exercise. I think eating healthy is crucial. I think, you know, doctors are woefully ill equipped to help people understand how they're nutritional. You know factors affect their health. But you need to define what you want first. Are you looking to have more energy or are you looking to lose weight? Are you looking to build muscle or are you looking to get rid of that hip pain. Know what you're trying to get out of your health before you try to operationalize a plan, especially if it's someone else's plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. So step two is map your ecosystem. Walk me through what that looks like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think of health as having four main quadrants. The first eye, it's the four eyes. The first eye is informatics, So we think of health as information like your lab test data, right, your cholesterol, your blood sugar, your BMI. When just as important as your biometric data is your biographic data. So your story, the elements of your story that have everything to do with your health, like were you raised by an alcoholic parent? Were you raised in poverty? Like what are the limitations of your life that keep you from activating on the recommendations you know you should participate in? So that's number one I informatics. Number two is inputs. Inputs is everything you put in your body, from kale and quinwa to alcohol and marijuana, to all the supplements you.
Speaker 1: Take and prescriptions as well.
Speaker 2: A prascripture medications. The third eye is infrastructure, so literally the container you drive through your life, this vehicle, right, you only have one vehicle, you can't trade it in like you can your Honda. Right, you have to treat it like you would your car. People treat their skeletons with less care than they do their cars.
Speaker 1: Right, totally right, like so good. Right.
Speaker 2: We need to use physical therapy as a as a as a maintenance. We need to think about exercise, not just to fit in our genes or to like win a race solthether that's fine if that's your goal, but rather as maintenance so that when you're ninety you can still walk around the nursing home or you know, put your luggage in the overhead compartment like you have to maintain your skeleton. And then the fourth eye is insight. Insight is the unconscious mind, the stories we tell ourselves, you know, our anxiety, our moods, our relationships with food, alcohol, other people, and how those things inform the other eyes. What we eat, how we move, how we take advice from our doctors, whether we take the prescription or not. And so the interesting part about the four eyes to me and the health map and the health ecosystem is not just the components those four eyes, it's how they talk to each other. So the bulk of the book is helping people map those those parts of their ecosystem by pulling information out of them and then thinking about the interconnect of this to have some aha moments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely had some AHA moments with my own health. As I read your book, I was like, Oh, that's a really interesting way to look at it and useful. I thought it was great. So I love that three is understand your patient personality. And I enjoyed this too because I definitely was like, oh, I think I fall into that camp. So are the what are the types?
Speaker 2: So patient personality is basically this is this is my idea, right, It's like how you show up in medical encounters in a vulnerable position, like as a patient, whether you're sick or well. So are you the optimizer who thinks that if you can like will power guarantees outcomes and you're loath to accept vulnerabilities that are out of your control? Are you the people pleaser patient who thinks that if you just dazzle the doctor and you you know, quit drinking the week before your appointment or lose weight before your appointment, then you're going to be okay. Like you've kind of outsourced your intuition to like someone else your doctor, Or are you the internet warrior who comes into the doctor's appointment with like reams and realms of data and spreadsheets and a hefty dose of anxiety. Or are you the outsourcer who doesn't really care about mechanism, who isn't interested in the why, but just wants the prescription, the pill, the tasks like, just tell me what to do, what to do. So the reason these matter is because health and healthcare, the delivery of health care, it's a relationship. So it's just about self awareness. It's about holding a mirror up to yourself and understanding how you relate to authority, how you behave and feel when you're in a vulnerable position, so you can be honest with yourself and with your doctor. So you can come into the doctor and say, hey, doc, I'm a people pleaser. I believe that if you're happy with my test results, then i'm good health wise. So just know that that I tend to minimize my symptoms to make you happy. And then, honestly, I don't know a single doctor who doesn't love a self aware patient who can say those things, because then that invites the conversation and not this sort of one way, you know, conversation from the doctor and saying do this, do this, do this, do this, do this. A self aware patient is an empowered patient, and it's someone who I want to have a relationship with.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The fourth one is to ask for help. What is asking well sound like versus asking badly? I think this one's hard too, because well.
Speaker 2: First of all, like we live in a world where we think that chat GPT and Claude can be our doctors, and I understand that, and often they'd give more succinct, quick and empathetic advice than doctors do. But you still need a doctor, and you still need to ask for help. I mean, if I teach my young adult children nothing else, asking for help with the strength. And people are loath to ask for help. So the point of this chapter is to understand what your questions are, reframe your questions to make sure you're getting to the actual problem you're trying to solve, and then ask the right person. This is as simple as like don't ask a nutritionist for advice on your heart failure, Like don't rely on your guests orineurologists to help you with weight loss. You know, like make sure you're asking the right person, the person who's credentialed and has time to ask to answer the question you actually have, and then like simple strategies like instead of saying like should I take a GLP one? Great question want to get every day, ask it in a more sophisticated way so your doctor knows that you're understanding the concept of trade offs. Doc, what are the risks and benefits of a GLP one for me? And what are the risk risks and benefits of not taking a GLP one for me? It acknowledges the trade offs and there's no right answer if you just say should I do this? Can I do this? It's like a permission giving and that's that's not what we're here for. We're here for discussion about the pros and cons.
Speaker 1: And if a doctor is I would imagine every doctor wants to answer should I take a GLP one with a long discussion, tons of follow ups to get into those costs and benefits. But when you got ten minutes, it's yeah, I think you should Here you go without the patient actually knowing the underlying Okay, why am I doing this in the first place?
Speaker 2: Right? It's too easy for us as physicians to be like, oh, that's a layup question for me, like should I Nope? And by the way, when it comes to hormone replacement therapy as an example, when someone says, you know, for decades women have said should I be on HRT? And doctor said no, end of conversation. Now I want women to go in and say, should I not? Should I be on HRT? What are the risks and benefits of HRT? What are the risks and benefits of not being HRT? On HRT? And if you get a cold look and like you can't do it, then then leave. You need a conversation. Health is not about yes or no. It's about trade offs because risk lives on both sides.
Speaker 1: Of every decision totally. The final one is practice acceptance. That's a hard one. That's a hard one for me. How does not actually play out among your patients? And why do you put that in the book?
Speaker 2: Because it turns out that the hardest part of being human is accepting things we can't control. Like we love control, right, We want to predict future outcomes. We want to protect ourselves from pain and suffering. We want to believe that our effort guarantees outcomes and that our behaviors. If we're a good patient, then that will yield result, and it often does. I'm the first person to say that lifestyle medicine is like the name of the game. At the same time, there's a lot of parts of our health we can't control. So acceptance is a bit right. Accepting mortality, for starters, is really difficult. But when you start to accept these things you cannot control, and you stop fighting unwinnable battles like a genetic predisposition to disease or like something that happened to in your past that you're ruminating about and trying to sort of outrun, and you accept those unpleasant realities, then you can redirect your energy to the things where you do have agency. So I see people all the time, like my guy I told you about earlier, who's trying to outrun his corinary disease and there's just no more exercise that he can do. He just needs to be on the appropriate medications to prevent a heart attack and keep exercising. So acceptance is a process. It's a lifelong process, and it's only in accepting the things we can't role that we truly have agency over the things we can it sounds it's like the serenity prayer will break.
Speaker 1: And then Lucy is going to give her thoughts on patients using AI and how doctors could potentially use AI to lead to better health outcomes in their patients. Okay, let's get into AI. How can a regular person use AI in a way that's helpful and where do you see it go totally wrong?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think AI is a wonderful tool. I use it all the time in my office. I use it to draft letters to insurance companies to wrangle with them about you know, reimbursement. I use it to draft patients summary letters. I used to you know, type everything out. What I fear, though, is that the healthcare system in ten years will be AI plus you know, physicians assistance just for their license, and that will be called healthcare. The beautiful thing is that AI is wonderful at answering the question it is asked, but you have to make sure you're asking it the right question. And it's a uniquely human thing to surface what the question actually is and to ask the question beneath the question. But for the average person who's listening, how can you use AI? It's great for like simple transactional questions like is amoxicillin the right antibiotic for strapped throat? Yes? Or you know what are the potential side effects of GLP wants. Great, it'll answer that question, it'll answer it well. But it can't answer the question of why your weight is going up or why you're having metagabolic dysfunction. It's not going to know to ask you unless you're really sophisticated and you're really empowered. Maybe you're reading a book to identify your relationship with alcohol, your sleeplessness, your genetic predisposition to metabolic dysfunction, plus your work stress as playing a role in why your metabolism is slow. But Italy answer the question of what does cause constunation? It certainly does. What to do about it? It depends when we talk.
Speaker 1: One time, I thought, what was really fascinating is that don't you use it when you meet with a patient and so instead of having to sit there and write down every single note and your faces in the notebook half the time, like, you record the conversation and then you are able to have AI analyze that, and then you're able to basically have better outcomes for the patient because you can do them.
Speaker 2: You can use it with patient's permission to ambient ambient transcription and then help draft a note. And those technologies are getting better and better every day. So yes, it does potentially mean the doctors will have increasingly more time to look at the patient and not just a screen. So that's that's But again I worry that if we point AI at the wrong thing, which is the patient doctor relationship, and we ask you to do the things that I'm supposed to do or that a doctor who has time is supposed to do, then we're really just supercharging like the kind of crappy medical care that's transactional and not providing the kind of healthcare that people actually need to feel empowered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought of you this morning because I had to take my dog to the vet. Now, when I take my dog to the vet, I come with a folder of every vet visit and everything that's ever happened to that dog.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Now, the thing is, I don't do that for myself. And you have this amazing section in the book about how medical record keeping is a mess, and so I want to hear how should be patients thinking? How should patients be thinking about the information that they take down once they see a doctor so they can bring it to another because there's not a lot of cross talk between there's.
Speaker 2: Until we have socialized metas in the US, which we never will. I don't believe you have a different digital avatar of yourself in every medical space you've been in. So your primary care doctor has this set of information on you. The urgent care clinic where you got your tetnis shot on vacation has this digital avatar about you. Your insurance company has this kind of digital avatar of you. I just got a fax this morning from a hospital where a patient of mine was admitted over the course of her vacation in another state, and it was twenty five pages a kid you not of like her driver's license, front and back, all this, all these questionnaires like do you have guns in the house. I mean, she was there for diverticulitis. It didn't matter if she had guns in her house at that moment. If I just simply imported all of that junk into her electronic record, the electronic record would just be junk, junk, junk, just like your grandmother's attic. So what you can do as a patient before you know, until you're primary care doctor has time like I do, to curate all the incoming information and collect all the data from other doctors and put it into a central place. You can do that yourself, so just put it on a Google doc or put it on your phone. Yeah, all your medications. You take all of your known drug allergies, your past medical history, your past surgical history, write down like how much alcohol do you drink, cigarette smoking history, recreational drug use, all your supplements, your family history, and then update it in real time. So that's the work of a good primary care doctor's office. And that's what AI someday could deliver for us, is record reconciliation, because no doctor has time to in advance of the patient's annual physical call. The cardiologists call the GI doctor, get their COLONASKI report. We do that here because I made a point of doing it. But that is an enormous endeavor that takes humans right now, and that should just be done by a computer.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So for the average patient who is going to be saying they're for twelve minutes now, ideally they've read your book, they've mapped out their goals their health. What should they do in that twelve minutes.
Speaker 2: Though I think they should. First of all, make sure that that's the doctor you want, right, like you want to make sure that this person is someone who can listen. Doctors in studies tend to interrupt patients in the first eleven seconds, so you know, do a little like sort of gut check on like whether this is the person who's the right doctor for you. And number two, make sure that you are thinking even while you're parking your car, like if I leave with nothing else answered, what is my top burning question? And then have two three on deck in case you have time. And then be sure to leave with a follow up appointment because you're not going to get all your questions answered, and you're entitled to follow ups and asking more questions. And ideally, you know, as you're in the parking lot and thinking about what your questions are, you know, write everything down and make sure that you are honest with yourself about what your health questions are and you're not hiding things. I mean, these are just the basics, but that's a place.
Speaker 1: To start, and that come in with the uncomfortable answer to the question. You said, what's the most uncomfortable question I could ask you? However you put it, just lead with that.
Speaker 2: That's right, That's right.
Speaker 1: There you go. I love it. Okay, So as a doctor, you obviously have to spend some money on your own health. What do you actually spend money on yourself?
Speaker 2: So I will tell you I just bought a standing desk and a treadmill pad so you would be proud. So because I have this like neck pain and because I'm sitting all the time, I spent money on Amazon. It's like it was like two hundred and fifty bucks and I'm committing myself to walking while I'm on the phone talking to patients amazing, or just doing paperwork. I spend money on yoga classes. I think yoga is a fantastic You know, when I was in my twenties, I thought it was just a waste of time because I was a runner and I was like, I'm not even sweating is for the birds. And now I'm like, it's a necessity of for my mental health, my physical health, for all the whole thing otherwise health wise, Like I don't I mean, I don't take supplements. I mean, I'm fortunate to be pretty healthy, but I'm very critical of taking things that I don't absolutely need.
Speaker 1: And you're basing that on lab work. I would imagine what's that you're basing that on if I don't absolutely need them, that's based on.
Speaker 2: Lab work or a particular complaint, Like even if you have a normal magnesium level, you still may benefit from magnesium for muscle tension and insomnia or constipation. So it's based on like need, I see a lot of people taking supplements just because they can, and they're spending a lot of money on things they don't actually need. I spend money on therapy. I lost my brother two years ago. We don't have to talk about it, although I'm comfortable talking about it, and you know, grief is a process, talking about the ultimate active acceptance. So I've done some therapy throughout my life intermntly for various things, and I think that's a really good investment. I wish that it wasn't so expensive. I wish it was accessible to all people, because mental health is health. But that's to be an important investment in myself. It just feels healthy to be thinking about mental health, especially as a caregiver, a mother, you know, a daughter. So those are the things I spend money on. I mean I think some of the most important interventions are free, you know, like taking my phone out of my bedroom before I go to sleep, Yeah, for an hour, like you know, sitting and stretching for ten minutes before I go to bed, taking a walk with my friends. It's a two for right, it's social. It's actually a three for it's social, it's outside, and it's movement. Yeah, all that is free, totally, all right.
Speaker 1: I want to do to close out. I want to do a rapid fire.
Speaker 2: Oh great.
Speaker 1: I want you to give us a verse whether these things are worth it or not, quick thoughts on them and go. You can take it wherever you want. Number One preventative whole body cancer scans like pernuvo don't do it? Why is that? Do it?
Speaker 2: If you found five thousand dollars lying on the ground, you're doctor phobic and you haven't seen a doctor in twenty years and you just need something. Love it because it gives you a lot of information you don't need, and it tends to spin up people's anxiety. I understand, though, why people do it. I would save your money.
Speaker 1: Direct to consumer blood tests like inside Tracker.
Speaker 2: I don't love it.
Speaker 1: Why is that?
Speaker 2: Because it's not asking the great questions necessarily first, right, just because you can doesn't mean you should. Like, there's a whole lot of testing you can do, but you have to have context around it. You have to understand what your question is first, So we don't you know, doctoring isn't about phishing expedition. It's about asking a specific question and then ordering tests if tests are needed to answer it.
Speaker 1: Because someone's a symptoms, they don't have anything wrong with them, and so we're going into just probe things that are fine.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not that I don't order tests for people who are asymptomatic, it's that they have to have a There has to be a reason for it. For example, I don't tell everyone just to go out and get an apoe four, a gene test that's a mutation and a gene that can predispose to Alzheimer's because having that information, even though you can get it in someone who may never develop Alzheimer's and for which there's no targeted treatment, just spins up anxiety. So test results done without asking what the reason is for doing in the first place, is just a test result that you're stuck with handling. So you need a Shepherd. You need a context, you need a reason to do the test in the first place.
Speaker 1: CGMS continuous glucose monitors for those who don't.
Speaker 2: Know, I think they're great. For some people, they feel like an albatross, like a bad boyfriend or girlfriend, like judging them and shaming them. For other people, they're empowering. I mean, I see people who discover that they're insomnia's driving their spikes and blood sugar during the day or there you know that this food spikes their sugar and this food doesn't, or it just helps them be accountable to their goals to reduce dietary sugar and simple starches. I think it can be very empowering, but you have to know yourself and know how you're going to react to having this like dood ad stuck to your arm and be under surveillance. But in general, if you know yourself and you know what it can do for you, and you're willing to fork over the money, I think it's interesting.
Speaker 1: All right. Final final question? I lied, this is actually the final question. How does someone find a doctor like you?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, it's expensive to have a doctor who will give you the time you really need. Those of us in direct primary care have taken matters into our own hands to have time with patients, so I can do the very kind of thing that I talk about in my book, which is why I wrote the book to help dispense what I've been doing with patients for twenty five years. I think you have to shop around, ask your friends, ask people you trust who they use. For some people, if they can afford it, direct primary care could be a wonderful thing. It's not to say that direct primary care doctors are always well intentioned or better than doctors in the system. It's just they have more time. I think rapport matters more than people often realize, and I think it's acceptable and normal for you to demand nothing less than a doctor who looks you in the eye and seems to take an interest in who you are as a person. They're out there even in the system. I mean, there are tons of doctors. They're my friends. They just don't have time. It's not their fault. So I wouldn't want you to confuse someone rushing as not caring, but it can certainly feel like that. So I think one thing you can say to a doctor is, doc, I know the system is oppressive. For you, and I know you don't have much time. I am really interested in being a partner with you. And maybe that just means we have more appointments. But what is that? How does that haate with you or something like that, and see how they respond and ee, they're like, dude, I'm just a lab checker and interpreter. That's not your doctor. And if they say something like that's exactly the kind of patient. I want. Someone who's willing to partner with me and think of health as a longitudinal process together. That's your person.
Speaker 1: That's your person. I love it. Well, Lucy, thanks so much for coming on.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much with Michael for having me. It's a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thanks for checking out the show, and thanks to Lucy for coming on. As a reminder, the book is Beyond the Prescription, a Doctor's Guide to take in control of your health, and it is on sale now, so please do check it out. New episodes they are dropping twice a week in your feed, so please keep an eye out for more. Don't forget to hit subscribe and give us a review that gives you updates on when new episodes are out. And as always, have fun, don't die