Speaker 1: Chemistry developing with pier Song. Do you think he could help you guys in.
Speaker 2: The red zone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's done a really good job obviously being back and just bringing the juice, going really fast in and out of his cuts and creating some really good separation. And so obviously we drafted him in the first round, and he's got a lot of potential, man, and so yeah, for him to get in and and actually be a part of our offense, not just a young guy that's trying to learn his way, but actually trying to make an impact pretty like early on man for uh, for me, I love it, and it's it's another great option and another part of our offense. And so I think obviously, you know, tomorrow we'll go through our red zone plan and stuff. But to answer your question, like, when you have a guy like Ricky that can win, you know, man and man matchups and then also open up some other guys too, that's always a good thing.
Speaker 4: So I'm excited to see what he does.
Speaker 2: A game against Philadelphia that from the outside was being perceived as this big revenge game because of the obvious what happened in the championship game, but within the building, it seemed like you guys were pretty much focused on your business and not getting into all that what happened the year before. Is this a similar situation to that with the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say so, only because you know, a couple of years ago played the Eagles. It was a playoff game, NFC Championship, and then whatever happened happened, and then boom, you got a whole you got a whole new situation. You got to focus on the twenty twenty three season. And it's similar deals last year with the Super Bowl. That was the Super Bowl. Obviously we wanted to win it and everything didn't go our way. But now it's twenty twenty four. Man, it's a regular season game. It's it's it's the next opponent for us. We have some some new guys on our team, some guys that have left. I've said this before, but like you know, this is the twenty twenty four to forty nine Ers going against the twenty twenty four Chiefs, and so for us, we're focusing on the next team up. Are we trying to go out and get our revenge and get all this stuff. That's not our mindset. If it was, I think we wouldn't be able to play at our best and play at our standard. Our standard is to be our best no matter who we're playing right now in the present, not looking back in the past, not looking too far ahead in the future, but where we're at right now.
Speaker 4: So that's our mindset the chief defense.
Speaker 5: But when you look at Patrick Mahomes, do you look at him as like an all time great so when you're trying to reach or do you look at him as a peer and equal?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think you know he is who he is. I am who I am.
Speaker 3: All the quarterbacks in the NFL, I guess would say the same thing. And so obviously for what he's done and obviously the Super Bowls that he's won, and and just what he's done in in the NFL with his plays and his style of play, it's really fun. It's fun to watch, and you know, but do I compare myself to him or anything like that?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 3: I don't compare myself to any other quarterbacks in the NFL. I am who I am, and I'm trying to win for the forty nine ers and play my style of ball. But obviously I tip my cap to him, and he's he's done a tremendous job. Man, He's he's definitely on the way up to being uh, one of the greats in the NFL as a quarterback, and that's no secret. And so whenever you get a chance to go up against a guy like that on the other sideline, it's always fun.
Speaker 4: So you're good.
Speaker 2: City Chiefs.
Speaker 1: They're more than like they're going to try to get after you, appressure you in this one. How are you trying to prepare for that? If you then you can't get the details. But the best way to explain your plan of a tech knowing that that's coming this time around, how's that the preparation for you?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, uh, obviously in the Super Bowl last year, they made some adjustments of going to more man coverage and making us win in those kind of matchups, and so, uh, you know, for us, it's like, all right, obviously we've got to be ready for that kind of stuff. But it's a whole new year, it's a new season, and and they're gonna be making their tweaks and adjustments as well. So it's not like we're gonna get just that. You know, they're gonna come in with their scheme and and try to dial some things up against us, and and so are we and so for us, it's it's going in. It's uh being dialed in every play with with whatever the situation is, and playing our standard in our way of football. If we could just do our job really well, I think everything will fall into place out needs to and and we're we're a really good team if we can do that. So that's how I'm looking at it. I know all the guys in the locker room are doing the same thing, and you know, we just gotta be ready for all the situations and uh be on top of our plays and and our answers within the game.
Speaker 4: You mentioned a.
Speaker 5: Theme of the season as far as you see more man coverage, and you just mentioned the Chief doing it more in the Super Bowl last year. You get the sense of all that maybe teams are kind of trying to follow.
Speaker 1: Some sort of I don't even get it much against Minnesota and Seattle, but you get the sense that the teams are maybe following them or is it maybe just more coincident all in the first six games.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it, you know, depends on the team and their scheme and their personnel and if they think they can match up against you know, our guys and man coverage and stuff or not. And every team is different, and so it just comes down to the moments how they're coming in and what they're playing of attack is from the from the jump and then making adjustments. So like that's that's every game and it and that'll be the case moving forward with every team that we play. So but with that being said, I feel like we have seen some more man coverage and stuff, and honestly, I think we've done a pretty good job still of finding ways to move the ball. Even though we do see more man It's not like man coverages are kryptonite or anything like that. I still think we got really good ballplayers that can create separation and and we find ways to win. And so every team is different. I can't promise a team is going to run this because of what the Chiefs did in the Super Bowl. So every game is different.
Speaker 4: You made your.
Speaker 5: Debut against Kansas City Pays a couple of years ago. What do you remember about that And do you ever when your home relax and just allow your mind to go back to.
Speaker 4: That that moment when.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, we sort of joke about it actually, just because when I did get thrown into that game, you know, it my first real regular season action, and uh, I just remember it was pretty fast. The game is fast for me. My feet we were moving really fast, and you know, I just remember seeing like Frank Clark and some of the guys. I'm like, man, these guys are still in the game. Like I'm in at the end of the game and they're still in and and uh, like just my mind was was.
Speaker 4: Going pretty fast.
Speaker 3: So just to see like how I was feeling and everything in that moment, from from that like moment a couple of years ago all the way till now.
Speaker 4: Uh, it's pretty funny.
Speaker 3: But also like for me, I take pride in like learning and the growth and the process of this whole thing of playing in the NFL week to week and getting better with my fundamentals and being able to actually thrive in those kind of situations and and in the moments you know, those are that's progress, man, that's that's getting better. And so look back on it and and uh sort of chuckle about some stuff, but yeah.
Speaker 6: Is pretty distinct in what the Vikings are doing. But how much do you think if at all, that sort of game where there's a ton thrown at you, it's pretty unpredictable. How much do you think that helps in terms of preparing for.
Speaker 3: Someone like, yeah, I think I mean, man, it's those are two different schemes, that's for sure, but uh, you know, just I think it goes back to just like the simple mindset of just being on top of your play every play, you like in the details and where's my answer per coverage and what's going on? You know, the Minnesota game is that's such a great experience of going through every single play something different can happen, and I have to get to this this guy or that guy. And so when it comes to the Chiefs and how Spags is going to call the game, like, uh, it's the same thing for me at quarterback, Like I have to get to my answers. I have to go through my progressions when I can and and you know, obviously just take what the defense is given me and and not trying to force it and do too much. And so two different schemes, but similar mindset in terms of I have to find my answer within every play and every coverage heard game did not.
Speaker 1: Reveal anything to you or anybody about the importance he has in this offense for what he's done through six games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean just knowing that, you know, he's he's a physical runner, and obviously when the gaps in the in the c's part, like, that's great for any running back, but with Jordan, it's when the gap isn't there, he's still gonna push for another five six yards or break a couple of tackles like that's the mark of.
Speaker 4: A great running back in the NFL. Man, that's not easy.
Speaker 3: And so when he went down, it's like, man, you know, obviously we love that part of him, but we have some young guys behind him that you know, need to step up and do their part. And I think, uh, Garndo did that, Patrick did that. You know, they came in, they played physical and and uh but obviously you just love JP's mentality because he does it every play and every running back is a little different, but that's what he's really good at. And so you know, when he went down, it's like, dang, you know, uh, that is pretty valuable, valuable for us in the run game. And but you know, we always have the next guy up and we're ready to to give the next guy a shot, and we always got each other's back.
Speaker 4: So it was what it was.
Speaker 3: And then in the Thursday night game, but we're excited that he's healed up and got some rest and ready for this.
Speaker 5: One has always been extremely complimentary of your play, and this week he said that you have no weaknesses.
Speaker 4: Would you agree with his assessment of your I would disagree.
Speaker 3: I think I definitely got stuff to work on and get better at. I appreciate the comments, but there's always something, like in the NFL, there's always something, yeah, to get better at, and and you know as a quarterback too, man, that you can never be perfect. You know, there's always something, So I appreciate it, but yeah, I gotta get better too.
Speaker 1: Number show that this Chiefs defense sometimes gives up points early and then gets better and better as the game goes on. Does the film show that? Is there anything on the film that they do differently as the game progresses that helps them?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: I think you know, they're just they have a lot of experience within playing playing within the scheme. A lot of the guys that have been there, they understand, you know, how their coordinators call the plays and and where they need to be. It's a very you know, sounded discipline defense. And you know, I think for them maybe I don't know for sure, I'm not you know, in their meetings or anything, but it might be the bend but don't break kind of defense. And and uh, when when the game matters and it's on the line, you know they're they're the the side of the ball that needs to get it done. And their defense has shown that in the last couple of games in the in this season, so definitely do see it. They haven't given up many points. And like I said, they all have a lot of experience together and they play and they tie together really well just across the board. So, uh, one of the best defenses that will see this year for sure.
Speaker 4: Thanks Gott.