Speaker 1: Welcome to Chopping It Up.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, Mike Hallon, the senior Restaurant and Food Service analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence. Today we're joined by Vivian Wang, the founder and CEO of Landed. Welcome to the pod, Vivian, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Excited to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pumped to do this, looking forward to it. Let's jump right in. What are you in the team at Landed do for your clients?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 4: So, we're tackling the number one challenge facing the restaurant industry, which is labor. So we help source that, engage screen candidates from team members up to managers.
Speaker 3: So some of our clients range.
Speaker 4: From McDonald's and Kava all the way to the Michael Minna Group and invited club corps. So we really run the whole gamut and and really just the goals to get people staffed.
Speaker 3: Super simple goal.
Speaker 2: There and is it GM's houries both both.
Speaker 3: We call it everything within the four walls we can do.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, Talk a little bit about what inspired you to start the company.
Speaker 3: Sure, so, I'll take it back.
Speaker 4: So, my parents actually immigrated to the US from China and their first two jobs are being a dishwasher and a waitress in Ohio.
Speaker 3: That's where I grew up, and so.
Speaker 4: I kind of grew up in like the craziness of that of restaurants. It's super fun and I kind of got hooked on it, you know, like once you're in it, you just you love the chaos. Now fast forward a little bit. I was in college, and when I was in college, it was during the rise of the gig economy. So at Princeton, I studied public policy and one of the things that we were looking at was economic policy.
Speaker 3: You know, what is the gig economy. It was a completely new.
Speaker 4: Concept at that time, but you had companies like uber Lyft, DoorDash basically taking the labor model and turning out its head. So I was looking closely at that, trying to understand, Okay, the people that are supporting these gig economies, the workers, you know, where are they coming from, what is the life path for them? So those were all like just ideas that were swirling on in my head. And so let's park that that was going on. I have the restaurant experience. Now, right before I started landed, I was actually working in retail. I was working at Gap Inc. With the CEO there on a bunch of different initiatives, one of which was our labor because if you have turnover in your stores, then ultimately you're not necessarily delivering the best customer experience that you could be. And this is something that every single brand I talked to is thinking about. So what we did is we kind of overhauled the system of how we did hiring and I took a lot of those parts. And not every company has the resources of like a GAP Inc. But every company has the same labor challenges, whether it's at like the micro scale of a single coffee shop or a regional ten location pizza shop, or it's a multi hundreds of location enterprise.
Speaker 3: So I'm all.
Speaker 4: Those things kind of came together and that's why we decided, you know, we're building this the easiest way for restaurants to hire and the easiest way for candidates to find a job that's actually the best fit for them. And then beyond that, what we're thinking through is like, how can we support those candidates from a finances perspective? So after somebody comes in the second question is how do.
Speaker 3: We retain them?
Speaker 4: So different things thinking there are a bunch of different topics there that can dive into, like how do people pay their bills? How do people get paid, how do people save, how do people get access to credit? Those are the types of things that we're going to be tackling next and then finally upskilling. So I call it the line Livelihood platform because livelihood is not just a job, but it's also your finances, it's your education, and there's a lot of stuff for us to do in all those different categories.
Speaker 1: Awesome. So when was the last time you were in Princeton.
Speaker 3: I think I went.
Speaker 4: I go to reunions almost every year, so the reunions are always in May, and basically you enter the orange bubble we call it, and you have you have joined a an orange cult. Everyone's wearing tiger printed things or orange things. It's such a fun time.
Speaker 1: That's cool. Favorite restaurant in Princeton.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a Greek a laugh.
Speaker 1: Ah, nice, great, great choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm working in skillm in office most of the time some times in New York, and yeah, that's a great spot.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 4: And you know that entire place was new, it was like actually renovated and it was opened when I was when I was at school.
Speaker 1: Oh really, Yeah, have you ever been to.
Speaker 3: CONTI I haven't.
Speaker 4: No, that's one I'm going to have to add because I haven't even heard of.
Speaker 3: It is on the main strip.
Speaker 1: No, where is it? It's Witherspoon. No, oh, okay, might be on Witherspoon. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Kanti's Pizza is absolutely fantastic. It's kind of off, like out of the way, it's not I don't think it's that close to campus, but it's absolutely fantastic.
Speaker 1: I highly recommend it.
Speaker 3: I'll be there. Pizza is my favorite food.
Speaker 2: That was Yeah, that was one of port Noise. I think it's a top ten Dave Portnoy one slice rating, very high up there. Yeah, yeah, so definitely check it out.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Next next may you got you got some homework to do?
Speaker 2: All right, let's let's start with a five thousand foot view. You know a lot of the economic indicators are weakening, but not the unemployment numbers.
Speaker 1: So how strong is the US job market right now?
Speaker 4: So it's kind of tricky, right because on the surface, it looks like unemployment is looking good, right, and unemployment one of the first indicators of economic health. But if you actually like double click into that unemployment number. Like, labor participation is high, it's about sixty two percent right now, but it's still lower than the pre pandemic levels. So labor participation has fallen. You know, it's not a ton, but it's fallen. And when you actually look at like the roles that people are taking on, a lot of them tend to be more like part time roles, so they're not necessarily these full time roles that would indicate like a more stable job. There are a lot of part time roles and the number of part time workers is increasing actually, so before like literally like you're on like now we're looking at like nearly four million workers are part time workers. So, you know, that's something to think about because in the restaurant industry, being a full time worker doesn't mean that you're working like nine to five forty hours a week. Being a full time worker means that you have some consistency of like thirty hours that you're getting scheduled in per week. Now, if you're below that, then that means that you probably have to have more than one job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So yeah, and that's something I definitely wanted to ask. So let's ask it.
Speaker 1: Now, what percentage of the workforce are working multiple jobs.
Speaker 4: Well, so what we're seeing landed and we're you know, focused on this restaurant industry, the hospitality industry, our industry is seeing that each on average, an employee will hold two point one jobs simultaneously. So two point one jobs, I mean, so basically two, but actually in some cases like three. And that's because maybe you'll get ten hours over here, twenty hours over here, twenty hours over there, and that's what you need to support your livelihood. But it's interesting too though, because there are there's kind of this rise of and you know this for while, Mike, these like daytime cafes, like daytime cafes are doing super well. Coffee shops are doing you know, I think they're growing super fast. You have companies like seven Brew that are popping up and are going to sweep the nation. Yeah, and and so you have like all these like kind of jobs out there that are more like part time jobs where you can actually hold more than one job simultaneously. So I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Like having more than one job at the same time is not a bad thing as long as they're not in direct conflict with one another and they kind of help drive stability in like your livelihood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so have you seen the actual number of full time job shrink?
Speaker 3: So there are a ton of open jobs. It's the problem. You know, there are a ton of open jobs. And so.
Speaker 4: Like the number of full time jobs, like it's kind of stable, maybe a little bit up, but there's so many open jobs, Like it's it's kind of crazy. And and you actually also see like gig economy. I brought up the gig economy that's like grown a lot, and that's kind of cannibalizing some of like the full time job openings. Like I know that we are going to talk about this, and like it's it's kind of crazy. But like literally a gig economy is of eighty percent since which rate since January twenty twenty, Like eighty percent growth and just a short timeframe. And that's like, you know, that's a contributing factor to keeping low unemployment levels. But that's not like that's not like a sustainable like full time job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so is this mainly younger workers that are are you know involved in these gig jobs?
Speaker 4: Not necessarily, so there are a lot of workers kind of like you know, there are the younger workers, of course, but a lot of the workers actually, like they are ages like twenty five to forty, and you know, there's a big population of them that are the immigrant like workers, right, the immigrant workers are coming up, but of course they're you know, they can work in the US, go through the background tracks, they do all that stuff, but they're trying to like get their footing here still.
Speaker 3: So it's an easy way to get footing.
Speaker 4: But really, like there's a they can get jobs that are not like the gig economy jobs, just it's just that they have to like really get their bearings once they've like moved over.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I find that interesting because I'd assume it would be the younger cohorts people that aren't ye in a hurry to get health insurance and stuff like that, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I mean so there aren't like a lot of these companies that have popped up to support gig workers, like everything like help you get loans to get a car, help you get loans to get it like you know, mopad helps you actually get the health insurance and things like that. But it's tough because it's like it's expensive and you see states like California, you know, always the first ones to do it, and then you have like New York City and you know, they just passed like the twenty dollars minimum wage, and that's going to change things because full time employees are are entitled to certain benefits, but part time employees and mental states are not. So like, how will that change how restaurants think about their labor mix is going to be it's gonna We're going to see a lot of changes because California is just one state. But if you're going to change it for all California, basically the rest of the country is going to follow. And the company has to like think about things from that perspective and they're not going to just isolate it to California. It really is like challenging companies to think through everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we wrote that when we wrote our note about the about the passage of that bill, and it's you know, Oregon, Washington, New York, Illinois. Those states are pretty fast fallows when it comes to some of the workers legislation that comes through California.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned the gig economy has been around for.
Speaker 2: A little while. How how has it evolved over the years and what industries hasn't impacted.
Speaker 3: The most absolutely, so the gig economy.
Speaker 4: You know, when it first started, like all these companies that were even before like door Dash and Uber and Lyft, there was like there were a bunch of other companies that you know, ultimately didn't make it, and these were the ones that succeeded. But what they really did was they like it was a labor arbitrage opportunity. You could take somebody from one place and bring them to another place where it might be a little bit more affluent, and people are willing to pay for the service of comedians. And so this is interesting too because like at the same time as gig economy has been rising in the past like about like almost a decade, you also have the gen z and the millennial like generations that have grown up on the internet with instant gratification. So as like the services have evolved, it's kind of like chicken and egg because like the consumer now frankly demands this type of instant gratification. So how the gig ecomny has evolved is okay, great. It like started out with just cars, all right, we need to get around in cities. But then now it's and then you have like door dash and grub hub, and now everybody needs their food like at their doorstep in like thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: Like I know, if if I.
Speaker 4: See a restaurant takes more than thirty minutes to deliver something, I'm probably not going.
Speaker 3: To order from it because everybody is so impatient.
Speaker 4: Nowadays, and so like the consumer now frankly demands it. And this has really like expanded outside of just you know, transportation, It's expanded outside of restaurants and hospitality where I mean most QSR is, like you know, fifty to seventy percent of their orders are like supported by the gig economy their delivery type orders. So that's there. But then also like we got to think about like warehousing and logistics. I mean, I think all of us knew about like the crazy supply chain crises that were happening in the past couple of years.
Speaker 3: And why is that.
Speaker 4: Well, like, actually warehousing and storage and couriers and messengers, air transportation, all these industries are also not as high, not as up as like gig economy, which is eighty percent. But since February twenty twenty, they've been up like nearly thirty to forty percent each of these categories. So what that means is like, now anything that we want to order like we need like this type of like instant speed.
Speaker 3: There are companies like Gettier here in New York, Fridge no More that you.
Speaker 4: Know, unfortunately, like you know, went out of business or got acquired Gorillaz, and they were promising ten minute fifteen minute delivery times.
Speaker 3: I mean it's insane.
Speaker 4: And then now you got to also look at other countries, like places like China, fifteen minute delivery times have been has been a norm in the major metropolitans for the past few years. Actually, So it's just we're going to be moving in this type of direction where it's like instant gratification is super important. Digital data is super important because now we're kind of living in this like omni channel world where everything is omni channel now, so data has to be omni channel two and every industry is going to be impacted by it. But we're seeing huge impacts on hospitality, on transportation, on like home goods, retail, warehousing, these industries, and these are also the industries that like you know, land it focuses on because we think about high volume hiring as of really are sweet spot and high volume hiring is our sweet spot because they're high turnover.
Speaker 3: It's high activity industries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, as we know, our restaurant industry is a very high turn over our restaurants back to pre pandemic staffing levels right now.
Speaker 4: Well, so it's so like where restaurants have experienced basically like a year and a half of consecutive employment growth.
Speaker 3: So actually, like we do have the.
Speaker 4: Same number of restaurant employees about twelve point four million today as we did in early twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's good.
Speaker 4: But the problem is that like a lot of like the restaurant jobs have become complex and they're just more of them, Like there are a lot of open jobs. And it's because if we look at like the restaurant and how it's evolved in the past couple of years, like we basically turbo charged and industry by like a decade in the span of like a year, which is crazy. And so like we have the introduction of like everybody has to be on third party delivery now you just have to. Everybody has a loyalty program. Everybody has some not everybody, but most have some type of like cloud concept or ghost kitchen concept. Everybody has new hygiene practices and the good the restaurants that have been doing well are growing really fast because you know, there's a lot of cheap commercial real estate that they were able to kind of snap up in the pits of the pandemic. So now you know you have this employment growth, but you have so many new openings. I mean, I think that probably like a third of all the locations that we're working on at any given point, Okay, maybe a third is a lot, but like twenty five percent there are new openings. Twenty five percent of our clients. The third of our clients have new openings like literally every month, and these are multiple, and so I think that like we can't really compare apples to apples, Like where we were in February twenty twenty is very different than where we are now. The jobs are a lot more complex and there are more jobs, which is why you have to introduce technology. Because restaurants can't continue to higher headcount to support like their their increasingly complex businesses. They have to introduce technology in order.
Speaker 3: To keep up.
Speaker 2: Okay, how's application volume versus say last year? And then against pre pandemic levels.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so application volume is like looking up like literally in the past like six months, I would say, like last last year, it was really challenging because there were, you know, applications were kind of these like passive ghost applications where you know, due to how like certain states had their unemployment benefits set up, like there's a lot of just like you know, people applying and not necessarily looking for jobs, and so that that made it very challenging for the industry. So now we are finding that actually, like what the metric that we look at is actually like a cost per application. So rather than the volume of applications, like what we really monitor heavily in each of the differences codes across all fifty states which we're in all fifty states, is the cost application. This is a good metric because cost application tells you like how much traffic there is and how expensive that traffic is in applying for a job. So we actually found that, you know, because we're good at what we do at LANDED, you know, we're able to come in at usually like thirty to forty percent below like benchmark cost p applications. But even with even among like Landed clients. We're finding that, like cost applications in the past two quarters have like dropped around like fifteen to twenty percent drop. Now we're going to be expecting seasonality. We're going into the holiday season, and holiday season is always very very competitive, so we do expect, like you know that to kind of increase a little bit for the next few months at least, but then it's going to go back.
Speaker 3: So cost application is good.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, paying to get candidates is not something that every single brand has to do, but every single brand has to do at some point, like usually around a new opening, usually around you know, specific like we call them like nine to one one red locations that have challenges, maybe a place where you know, manager turnover is high. It's like nearly seventy percent at QSRs, which is crazy, Like you know, they're like the lifeblood of a business. But when you have manager turnover, you would expect more turnover in the hourlies as well. So it's kind of like something that we have in our arsenal to help. But something that we are talking very closely is that cost for application metric.
Speaker 2: Interesting, many workers didn't want to go back to the restaurant industry post pandemic. Is that still the case there or are some some previous restaurant employees return into the business.
Speaker 4: We do see not necessarily it's like previous restaurant employees, so you know, now they have like a lot these different options. But we do see like a new crop of restaurant employees. So before in twenty twenty, we had about like seven about seven percent of the employees were just for restaurants of the employees, and when we look at it now, it's actually a little bit higher. It's like around like eight percent of all employees are like you know, in the restaurant industry. So as a whole, if you look at it, it looks like there are more people turning to that. But I think a lot of that's coming from like the new the new crop of gen Z employees, you know, seventy percent of hourly workers nowadays or gen Z.
Speaker 3: It makes sense. But because everyone.
Speaker 4: Is you know, a lot of your workers are gen Z, you're going to have to rethink, like how to retain gen Z employees is different?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how is it different?
Speaker 4: I mean I think that there are a lot of stereotypes out there, Okay, but there are like things that really like come down to, like you know, we run we've run surveys and we like we have over a million candidates that you know, we've engaged at any given point in time. We have like you know, millions of like job applications that we've engaged with, and we're finding that the most actually like it's this is kind of crazy, but like a third of gens employees actually care more about career growth than the pay necessarily. So that's interesting because that means that you know, they're thinking about, like, Okay, what do I get in the long term Here this kind of goes back to what I was talking about with like gig workers, like what do you get in the long term, like working a gig job? Like you don't want to necessarily be doing that the rest of your life.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 4: That landed what we think a lot about is more like, Okay, how do we help someone build their career in the industries that we serve. The other thing that we're that brands that are preferred employers think about is like really playing up like that social awareness and responsibility that they are that they are bringing to the community. So this is actually crazy number if from our surveying is that fifty one percent of gen Z employees will actually take a lower salary if their employer was environmentally responsible. So that's kind of interesting because like, you know, sometimes you hear out there like oh, my workers like move down the street for ten cents pay up or like career for twenty cent pay up, and that is you know, that is still definitely the case. But like these new like entry level team member employees, like you know, think about things a little bit differently, you know, they were they've kind of.
Speaker 3: Grown up in like this new era.
Speaker 4: And then the other thing that's going to be really important this is going to be I will predict now calling it right here on chopping it up with Mike and Vibian that in ten in the next like ten years, daily pay or even streaming pay like by the hour, by the minute, by the second, which is what you know basically gig economy already brings to the table, is going to be a necessary part of the job because you know, eighty one percent of hourly workers are worried about paying their bills. They're living paycheck to paycheck, and having a two week or even weekly like pay cycle for them is just it's like it's actually quite archaic, like it doesn't actually match up to like the speed and the instant gratification that we know are themes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's cool, very cool.
Speaker 2: So which restaurant chains are doing a good job of attracting GM talent hourly talent and how are they doing it?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 4: So you know, we we work with a bunch of different companies like that, like that really range and like, of course I have like a little I have soft spot for our clients, but like, you know, we see companies that are doing some pretty cool stuff. So like Kava for example, Like they are very focused on you know, they've super well and they're very like technology focused. They really understand that the general manager is really the life blood of their business. And they have gardens, you know, they have these gardens of managers and gardens of restaurants and they are all about just like actually the support center, like the HQ supporting their managers. Like their managers are really like the ones running the show, and they make sure that you know anything that what the manager needs to focus on day to day is guest experience and like the quality of their product, so the food, the beverages.
Speaker 3: And everything else.
Speaker 4: They're thinking about technology and bringing technology in and AI. Generative AI is a hot topic in this area because and like, you know, what we're able to bring the table is, hey, all that manual stuff that their managers are doing, they don't need to do anymore, like Landed can help take care of it. But then also like personalization is the other piece. So one of our clients is.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, lou Mal Natties.
Speaker 4: Lu Mal Naughties has been known in the Chicago, you know, into Chicago world forever and they are expanding rapidly across the US because they've done super well. And one of the things that like, you know, they care a lot about is like bringing that family, like you know, old school Chicago deep dish, like across across the US to Wisconsin to Arizona. And so personalization of your interactions with people are super important. That's another thing that gen z and millennials care about. They don't want to talk to a chatbot, Like how many times have you called and you're talking to a chat bot and you just repeatedly hit zero zero.
Speaker 3: I want to talk to human being.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you know the worst is when they respond and they're.
Speaker 3: Like, no, sorry, we don't recognize the zero. And I'm like, what, like I'm never going to talk to a human beings?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, And so like you know, we're in the hospitality into street. We're in the hospitality business is fundamentally human business. And yet we think about like our employees and the employee retention, and we're like, you know, once they started at the job, we need to make sure they have a great experience. Well what about before they start at the job, because your first impression with the employee is like how you show up to the employee and the application process, so personalizing the outreach, making sure that you're really fast, making sure that you are like on top of it. Everybody likes to talk to somebody who is communicative, personalized, fasten the response, and thorough and frankly like managers if they're doing that like themselves on top of all the other things that we just described, that's part of a manager's job, like does not have time for that, otherwise they'd be a full time recruiter.
Speaker 3: Like that's why the recruiter job like exists.
Speaker 4: So that's something that we're able to help with, is like that personalization and like leveraging AI and technology to do so rather than necessarily having to hire, not even hire, but just like you know, put more stuff on your GM's shoulders and on their plate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you mentioned that Kava has very strong communications between their gms and their support center. What are the implications for chains that don't do this well and how can land and help solve that issue?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 4: So, I mean the big implication of it is that we're in a competitive world.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: If you have a finite labor pool, and that labor pool has a lot of options, not just even in the restaurant industry, but in other industries, you know, because there's also the rise of remote work too, then you're going to just stay perpetually understaffed, and there's just like negative cycle, right, because you've got to when you're understaffed, what are you doing. You're probably paying over time, you might be paying for temp, You're probably cutting hours and like the most important time of the day for example, like late night labor. Late night labor is a nightmare like for most companies, but that is a big opportunity because late night tends to have larger basket values compared to their daytime counterparts. They frequently require delivery services, so that's something that you have to have set up. And if you're not mastering late night or you're not becoming a top player in late night, you are going to be missing out on a huge revenue opportunity. Okay, but you can't open late night when you're understaffed, right, and if no one wants to come work from you know, eleven pm to four am for you or on the flip side, you know, we work with Tim Horton's duncan want to come in at four am to bake your donuts, you know, then you're kind of out of luck.
Speaker 3: So either you.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like a twofold right, So there's so manytinential stuff that we can do. That's like in the short term, you can introduce like more competitive pay. Okay, great, you can, but without like the money piece, Like one in every three candidates hourly candidates will just take the first job they're offered actually because you know, they're wanting to move fast. So even if you pay the exact same amount as the person next door, if you're just faster at getting to them and you know landed. Of course, we make everything very immediate. We're twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, constantly communicating with candidates, delivering personalized responses using our generative AI plus our human recruitment specialist team. Then you're going to be able to like with that, you're going to be able to stay competitive even without hitting necessarily or bottom line, you just have to be faster and better at running operations. And you know, the long term thing there is like, also, how do you make sure that you're actually betting for quality candidates? Quality candidates are something that everybody wants. Like nobody ever says they don't want a quality candidate, but everybody does desperation hiring like everybody. And so when you're down a couple people and you have your general manager who's way overpaid to be flipping burgers flipping burgers, then you know you're not necessarily like running an efficient operation, but you have to do that to kind of limp on. So what we do is we kind of sit down and understand, Okay, what does a quality candidate look like for every single you know, brand and for every role because it varies, and so once we understand what that is, then we go and then we actually develop like you know, hiring plan, we go and find those quality candidates so that really your managers are only spending time with quality people who can be on their team soon, so they're.
Speaker 3: Not wasting time with people who are not going to be good fits. Instead, they're spending more time.
Speaker 4: They have more time to spend them with their existing team to know how the existing team is doing. And so it sounds like you know, wave a magic wand and Landed can do all these things. But of course it's like a two way street. We got to sit down and understand like that holistic strategy and then we will we will implement that for you and then just have your managers make that ultimate hiring decision because we of course would never take that away from them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's been a huge theme with our companies, the companies that we cover, or is you know, freeing up time for the gms, freeing up time for them to touch the tables and coach the team and.
Speaker 1: And not have to get into that daily grind. You know.
Speaker 2: I think I think everybody's pretty much woken up to the fact that you know, you need good, good, strong gms run in your restaurants to be successful. You know, Another one of the themes that we've written about this year was late night and how some of the chains that do a really strong business at late night. Jack in the Box leads the pack, but you know, Wendy's McDonald's has some twenty four hour stores that they had kind of the sales tail wind because late night would get better. And you kind of touched on it a little bit in your previous answer, So, so what is going on? Why is late night labor improving? Is it just them offering more pay or is there something else in there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so lately labor is improving. We do see Actually this like introtion of like tiered pay rates. So tiered pay rates is like something that like was previously mostly happening around like seasonal like around like holiday basically. But now I think that, uh that restaurants are getting smarter about this, where they're like, okay, like this is a supply and demand problem, right, so if I increase like the price of the of the demand, then the supply will the you know, the supply will come, and so uh that this is something that like I think this is a norm that had to be introduced like during like the COVID timeframe where it was just like.
Speaker 3: A mess, and so now I actually.
Speaker 4: Very frequently see like you know, actually twenty percent pay rate increases for like certain for certain shifts, and so late like late night labor is improving because they have these like you know, they have that increased pay you know capacity. But then also back to like what I was talking about with like the like having each person have two to three jobs simultaneously. If you have a day job or like a day part job, then you can also work some late night as well. And so that's that's something that is really interesting and ultimately, like the other thing about late night is that late night you it's a lot more about delivery and like digital ordering.
Speaker 3: So like, you know, one of the.
Speaker 4: Things that we see is a lot of folks in the restaurant industry have faced you know, sixty two percent of workers have felt like they've been mistreated by customers. I guess, so you know, at some point in time, right, like somebody else is having a bad day, they take it out on you.
Speaker 3: When it's late night. It's a lot more about like interfacing with a computer.
Speaker 4: You know, you're interfacing with like these third party apps that are coming in you just have to do your job. Well, it's you know, the back of house, and then you and then you're able to kind of like push that forward. One of the things that at Landed we do is we also support multi lingual like hiring, so we're able to have like do hiring in like many different languages. And there has been like a surge in like non English speakers like entering the restaurant industry in the past few years. And but it's really important. I see actually certain restaurants like running their entire back of house in Spanish actually, and all the instructions are written in Spanish. And these are like large chains like these are they're quite large. And so that's interesting, right, because we have to be a lot more accommodating of the diverse, like of the diverse labor population and make sure that you can be the employer of choice, not just to English speakers, but to everybody who might be working in the industry. And when you have like a certain day part in your shift that allows for you know, anybody to come in even if maybe they don't have the front of house experience, maybe if they are like native speakers of another language, it expands your pool. But you can also expand your pool if you just make your entire hiring process more accommodating of different languages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just removing stress from the employees that you do have that maybe you know, English is a second language for it, right.
Speaker 1: Exactly, shakesheck is tried a four day work week? Does it work?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 4: Four day work week is a tricky one. I think, like what we've actually seen work really well because like for hourly workers, like the four day work week is kind of like it happens to some of them anyway.
Speaker 3: But really like where it comes down to is like the general manager.
Speaker 4: When I talk about the four day work week, when when I hear about like, you know, days off, I hear about it primarily around like that manager role, because the manager is, like, you know, it's a stressful job. I actually hear some companies that have like two managers per restaurant so that there can be like a little bit more coverage, and they actually found that that's cost effective because manager turnover is so expensive. So what I'm actually seeing work really well is having two consecutive days for managers to take time off so it doesn't have to be Saturday, Sunday, but it could be Monday Tuesday. But as long as they have those two consecutive days and then maybe during those days you have the AGM or maybe you have like that kind of the other GM, or maybe you have the district manager kind of just be a be like more hands.
Speaker 3: On during those two days.
Speaker 4: That's really the thing that is like making managers a lot happier and helping them like stay. So that's like something a way to come back. That's sixty eight seventy percent manager turnover, and so I would really encourage folks to like think about it more so from the perspective of the manager.
Speaker 3: Like four day work week.
Speaker 4: Good, but really like two consecutive days off is like really what I'm seeing like works.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it makes sense to me.
Speaker 2: You need it's a tough job, so you need those two days to kind of decompress.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly exactly instead.
Speaker 1: Of Sunday scaries.
Speaker 2: It might be the Tuesday scaries or something, but exactly yes.
Speaker 4: And I mean also like that's a lot of you know, Chick fil A has Sunday's closed like every every week, right, and.
Speaker 3: You know there are other businesses that do that. You know, that's like, I don't.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of businesses are the can't like necessarily do that, But I mean there are many companies that do.
Speaker 1: Quite well that make it work for sure. All right, good stuff. Listen, next time you're in Princeton. Let me know. Maybe we'll do conties together.
Speaker 3: All right, that's the plan.
Speaker 1: Awesome, I'll hold you to it. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Thanks for doing this. Where can the audience go to find more about Landed?
Speaker 4: You can hit me up at vivianatgotlanded dot com. I am all at ears and you can also go to our website at gotlanded dot com.
Speaker 3: G O T L A n d ed dot com. You can also find me on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Speaker 2: All right, stup y'all restaurant tours that I know have have great things to say about you and the business.
Speaker 1: So I also want to thank the audience for tuning in.
Speaker 2: If you liked the episode, please share it with your friends and colleagues. Check back in a couple of weeks. I'll be interviewing Bloomberg's US restaurants reporter daniellis Er Tory Cortina