Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend, our global look at the top stories in the coming week from our Daybreak anchors all around the world. Straight Ahead on the program, we look to how airlines could fare going forward. I'm Nathan Hager in Washington.
Speaker 3: I'm Caroline Hepke in London, where we're looking ahead to a raft of tax changes in the UK at the start of the new financial year.
Speaker 4: I'm Doug Krisner, looking ahead to the latest price reports for China and whether deflation is at a turning point.
Speaker 1: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend on Bloomberg eleven three year, New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one, Washington, DC, Bloomberg ninety two nine, Boston, DAB Digital Radio, London, Syrias, XM one twenty one, and around the world on Bloomberg Radio, dot Com and the Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 2: Good day to you. I'm Nathan Hager. We begin today's program in the air earning season gets underway this week, with Delta Airlines reporting its latest results on Wednesday. For more on this and what to expect for the airline industry as a whole. We're joined by George Ferguson, senior Airspace, Defense and Airlines analyst for Bloomberg Intelligence. George, it's great to speak with you ahead of the results from Delta. How much could we see the outlook for this airline affected by what we've seen over the last month of war with Iran?
Speaker 5: So thanks for having me on. I think that a lot of the outlook and a lot of investor perspectives on the airline will be a function of that war in Iran and where it's at when earnings are reported. How so, So I mean, you know, right now, I think we're looking at a scenario where the streets are Humus look effectively closed, right. I don't think they're physically closed, but they look effectively closed, and the US may walk away from the region without reopening it. Some of the rhetoric are hearing, you know, out of the Trump administration now, and so that is obviously going to play into where fuel prices are going. Right, So I think as investors go into those earnings, I think, you know, one queue is just not going to matter as much. We know fuel prices spiked, it's typically a week quarter, so you're not going to spend a lot of time parsing those numbers. My guess is that Delta will do a lot of work to try to keep those earnings kind of in a decent place by economizing on maintenance and things like that. But again, investor is going to be really focused on down the road. We're coming into summer travel season two Q and three Q, and so if the price of fuel remains high and even potentially goes higher because the Straits are removes or closed and the US is pulling out of the region, I think that you know, that sets up a different demand dynamic for the summer, right. I think that Delta's got a fairly well heeled flying clientele that can manage an increase in prices twenty thirty percent for tickets, But there will be some demand that peels away, and so then the dance comes between size and capacity correctly for what the new demand is in a higher ticket price environment. Or if the US pulls away from the Straits and the Iranians say, look, there's nobody, there's nobody here to blame anymore. The US is gone, We'll let tankers flow the global you know, oil prices returned to sort of prewar level or at least you know, descend a bit, don't continue to climb. You'll have a much better outlook for so or flying season. So I think everything everything rides on what the outcome of the Iran sort of you know, war or fight, whatever you want to call it, is into two Q and three Q, and I think that's how investors will We'll look at earnings and look at guidance through that lens.
Speaker 2: Given that demand picture you just mentioned, the focus on the premium traveler, does that put Delta in a better position compared to some of the other major carriers, So.
Speaker 5: We think so, right, We think that United in Delta and to a lesser extent American have passengers, have client tele that are going to want to travel despite changes in prices. Right, So, I mean if fuel prices rise by one hundred percent, which is kind of you know where we were here as we closed out one Q. Look, you know, typically these carriers twenty to thirty percent percent of revenues to be consumed by fuel. So maybe the way to think about it is that means that ticket prices have to rise by what maybe twenty or thirty percent. If you're you know, a fairly wealthy client, You're not going to let twenty to thirty percent increases in in your ticket price, right, five hundred to six hundred dollars maybe to go to the West Coast, maybe maybe one thousand to twelve hundred dollars to go to Europe. You're not going to let that get in the way of your travel plans. The people whose travel plans will get interrupted by that are more of the basic economy traveler, the travel that's probably flying you know, Spirit, Frontier, Jet Blue, these kind of carriers, And I think that will exacerbate this fight for the back of the airplane because because United and Delta are filling their airplanes with a bunch of premium travelers, but in the back of every United Airline flight or Delta Airline flight is a little bit of Spirit airline. It's a basic economy traveler, and the fight will go on to get them in the airplane at least to cover marginal costs.
Speaker 2: Thank you for this, George, again, great having you on with us. That's a Bloomberg Intelligence Senior Aerospace, Defense and Airlines analyst, George Ferguson. Let's take a look now at some stocks making news in the week ahead. I'm Nathan Hager, joined by Bloomberg Markets Live strategist Tatiana Daria. I guess we could say this is the unofficial start of earning season before the banks get things going right. We've got a few companies opening things up, including Constellation Brands on Wednesday. It's been a tough go for the booze business, hasn't it?
Speaker 6: Yes, exactly. Expectations aren't very high here for the company, but some analysts on Wall Street are starting to warm up to the stock on valuation concerns, saying that a lot of the bad news is already in the stock. So Bloomberg Intelligence forecast at net revenue will fall about fifteen percent do mainly to their whine and spirits portfolio devestments. But they're also anticipating some sluggishness in the beer segment, which is obviously their main driver or crown a jewel there and especially among Hispanic consumers. BI notes, but some analysts are saying that most of that is already in the price. Perhaps, you know, the beer segment has room to surprise to the upside. We've seen JP Morgan lifting their price target. We've seen Evercore adding the stock to the Tactical Outperformed list, and it also got an upgrade from City earlier this month, citing evaluation that's below historical levels, and if you look at the forward price to earnings ratio, it has indeed fallen drastically. It's hovering around the lowest since twenty twelve now as shares have come down sharply over the past year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, valuation concern certainly speaks to that. There before we hear from constantly, we're going to get results as well from Levi Strauss on Tuesday. Of course, we got that big disappointment from Nike this past week. Do you put Levi in the same category as Nike in terms of what to expect there?
Speaker 6: I think one has to, right because they both speak to the consumer. They're both sort of discretionary brands that you turn to for sort of luxury and comfort, not necessarily because you really need to. And expectations are pretty I would say modestly positive. Ubs, for example, expects a fourth quarter sales and EPs beat, though they say the company may remain cautious on a full year outlook amid the macro as certainly, just like we've seen with Nike, they know that the US direct to consumer sales likely rose about two percent year over year, and that web traffic likely increased even more in the US according to their industry data that they track. Nonetheless, the company may choose to just be cautious and conservative and not raise their guidance despite the likely beat. And that's because of the reasons that we have seen with the Nike report, with potential fresh setbacks in Europe and the Middle East, regions that are obviously heavily exposed to the energy costs and just the disruptions coming from the year round war.
Speaker 2: Now, were you expecting any further commentary from Levi around how they're dealing with trade uncertainty as well after that Supreme Court tariff decision and some of the uncertainty around how the president might try to rebuild that terrafall and how that could affect its business.
Speaker 6: Yes, certainly, you know, tariffs is sort of fallen off the radar, but when you look at company earnings, especially in the consumer space, it is still a big focus. So it will be really interesting to see what the company has to say on that matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and of course earnings take off with Delta Airlines on Wednesday. What kind of a stock move could we see following those results? Ta Tiana.
Speaker 6: Well, what it's interesting with Delta Air is that they kind of have been the exception among the airlines. It is the only airlines stock bucking the weakness among major peers since the war started. If you look at an index of an industry index, that index has fallen into a bear market recently, but Delta shares have actually gained three percent since the war started. And maybe because the company has already set a positive tone for its earnings report after issuing a more optimistic sales target at a recent conference, saying that bookings for leisure and corporate customers accelerated into March. Actually, and they say they are very well positioned to navigate the current environment at the time when elevated fuel prices are roiling the industry. And it looks like investors are giving Delta the benefit of the doubt here. But obviously things change very fast these days, so it will be interesting to see how their views have changed since they issued that update about two weeks for two weeks.
Speaker 2: Ago from now, yeah, absolutely, while we wait for updates around the war and how that could develop as well. I mean, what kind of changes could we see? What are you listening for, particularly from the call from Delta.
Speaker 6: Later on, I'll be listening on clues about the consumer right because obviously travel is a discretionary category. Most of us do it for fun, for vacations, So I'll be interested to see if they have seen a pullback from consumers specifically, because if you look at alternative data on the Bloomberg as it relates to that, yes, it showed that airline spending is hanging in there, but hotel spending has sort of fallen off here in recent so I'd be sort of curious to see how much is that impacting airlines.
Speaker 2: Already, here we go for earning season for Q one. Thank you for this, Bloomberg Markets Live Strategist Tatiana Daria, And coming up on Bloomberg day Break Weekend, we'll look ahead to the new tax year in the UK starting April sixth. I'm Nathan Hager, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg Day Break Weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Nathan Hager in Washington. Up later in our program, we'll look to some key economic data in China. But first it is now the new tax year in the UK running from April, and it's about to bring major changes in taxation and employment rights. Many of them were announced last November by UK Chancellor Rachel Reeves. But they land just as Britain's growth outlook is deteriorating. Let's go to London and get more from Bloomberg day Break europe banker Caroline hepger Nathan.
Speaker 3: The tax here in Britain begins on the sixth of April and twenty twenty six is going to bring in a lot of changes for workers, employers, landlords, business owners and investors. The Employment Rights Act starts to come into force. That's the biggest change in employment law in decades, designed to protect those in low paying or insecure jobs. Also, there are a number of tax increases due to tax thresholds to dividend and capital gains tax changes. All of this part of the Chancellor's so called Smallger's Board budget from last autumn. Plus there's an increase in the state pension age and higher welfare payments for retirees, people on low income, those out of work were unable to work. But will it help Britain's economy and workers. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 3: As John Steppeck, editor of Bloomberg's award winning Money Distilled newsletter, there are so many changes John, that are coming in this new financial year in Britain that we're going to have to break them all down. So let's start first with the changes that are coming under the Employment Rights Act of twenty twenty five. This is the so called day one employment rights legislation from the Labor government. What does it involve and why is it being brought in?
Speaker 8: Well, this one, I mean, this has been brought in just to enhanced protections for work case. Now, whether you think that is necessary or whether you think we've already got in off, it's a different question that will depend your politics. But from April the sixth, we're getting day one rates to paternity leave. So at the moment you have to be with a company for twenty six weeks six months, that's been reduced to the FoST day. There's extended six p rates, so at the moment you're not due statutory sick p until the fourth day your illness. Let's all kick in from the FoST day now, to be fair enough, A lot of employers don't actually rely on statutory sick pay. It is something you just get paid your wage. But that's that's something that if your employer does that, and there's some tweaks to collective redundancy rules, so if they don't do that properly, they've kind of double the amount of time you can claim front fair dismissal. They've added sexual harassment to the whistle blowing guidelines. There's various bits and pieces. Some of the kind of punchier stuff has been delayed, I think partly because obviously employers need a bit more time to adjust. So one of the major things was, at the moment, you can be employed for up to two years and not be able to claim unfair dismissal. So in effect, you can you can need someone out the door if they're not working without having to go through that kind of massive process. That's going to get reduced to six months. And that was one of the more controversial changes because you know, it's it will make life more complicated hiring wise. But that yeah, so that's why be had at the moment. Yeah no, so yeah, so that's what's kicking in for me.
Speaker 3: April the sixth Yeah, So that's in terms of the Employment Rights Act, which trade unions like the TUC and others see as benefiting workers in terms of their health and they're wellbeing. As for the other major tax changes, so we know that income taxes are going to effectively go up because of fiscal drag, right, so we have to think about that in terms of the tax changes as being a big one.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think that's really important, and I'm glad you brought that up because nothing's changed technically, but that's the basic problem. So if you've had a pay raise that is ce has gone up with inflation this year, then that means that your wages obviously have gone up. But the problem is that fiscal drag means the income tax, So the income tax thresholds have been frozen, so it means that for every extra pound that you get, you're being put anty a different tax bracket effectively. So the moment you can add up to twelve five hundred and seventy pounds and that's your personal allowance, above that you pay twenty percent tax. Above fifty two hundred and seventy you pay forty percent tax, and then above one hundred and twenty five one forty you pay forty five percent tax. The point is that's been frozen for several years now, so more and moarriors are getting dragged into higher rate tax bands. And then the kind of proportion of people who would once have been considered not to be high way journals like you know, nurseis people like that are increasingly being dragged more and more of them into the forty percent band and even a bit higher up. You know, some people are getting pulled into the forty five percent band they wouldn't once have been considered, you know, super wealthy, and that's just that's pure inflation. So it's a tax on inflation. Your living standard has not improved because your wages are buying you the same amount of stuff, but you're getting tax more on it. So actually, yeah, if you've only had an inflation pay rise, if you've even had an inflation pay rise this year, actually wash off. And so fiscal drag is pretty brutal, and there REases the government a good amount of money. Yeah, so I can see why the foind of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, So that's one big change. Then one that we've had more advertising is not a lot of advertising about a fiscal drive. But there is about this change which is making tax digital, which requires self employed workers and landlord to earn over a certain money through their business or through rental to keep more records. So there's going to be more frequent sort of interactions between you and the tax authorities.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so if you're doing over fifty thousand pounds as a soul trade or aligned lord, then you're going to have to start failing digitally. And I mean the big issue here is basically admin and a compliance button, so you have to get used to the software. The software costs, I mean, I kind of the last thing I saw was about four hundred to five hundred pounds. A lot of people will probably want to ask an accountant to sort this out for them because it's you know, it's a fave, And I guess the benefit is probably arguably mostly on the tax blank side. I mean, you could argue that it gives you proay slightly more visibility on what your tax bill is likely to be, but to be honest, if we keep half decent accounts should probably be on top of that already. I would say it's another compliance budden on small business more than it is a beneficial change.
Speaker 3: Overall, and this is only a few of the changes. Do we know how all of these changes are actually going to affect the economy?
Speaker 8: Well, the problem is, you can look at these changes, you can probably make a case on the basis of you know, fairness or particular interest group as to why or this is a good thing. You know, but this we should be doing this. We should be giving people poternality to leave from day one, all of that sort of stuff. The problem is, though, the you're starting to kind of push even more compliance costs onto Yeah, small businesses and large businesses, but large businesses are usually set up for this kind of thing already. They can swallow the costs. And you know, this is coming at a time when the labor market in the UK is kind of turning down, cooling off. We've already seen a massive kind of minimum wage. There's another one coming in at the same time. And you know, but we were saying kind of like young people struggling to get jobs basically because they are too expensive to hire. And I mean this is don't get me wrong, It's not just about that. We're also we've got a hangover from COVID still, so you know, during COVID. The labor market was massively disrupted because obviously the leisure industry was shut down and then it reopened and everyone had found other jobs elsewhere, so they had to hire, you know, and pay more to hire people at that point. And I think we're actually still going through that sort of like corrective phase now. The problem is making it very hard for anyone either getting out of UNI or it just wants a kind of part time job to find work because again it's become too expensive and this sort of extra compliance buton and also the awareness that there's more to come is going to put employers off taking people on even more. So I do think it's it's not the ideal time to be doing this, even if you agreed with the kind of underlying, you know, kind of principle, and I think a lot of it's arguably driven by ideology more than practicality. I mean, obviously labor is kind of funded by the trade unions to a great extent. Again, nothing necessarily wrong with that, but means they're going to operate in you know, in line with what they want. And the problem is that it's all very well, but it's great having worker protections if you've got a job, but if it makes it harder for you to get a job, it's not so great. Yeah, it's a similar thing with the actually the renter's rights. But you know, one of the problems that is that is if you're already a rent up your phine, it's going to make it hard dot actually get a flat because landlords are going to be more locked in and they're going to be much more care for about people.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I haven't even got into the from the first of May, not the sixth of April, but you are right to bring it up because the Renters Reform Act is all about limiting competition, for example, bidding wars for flats or apartments or homes. It also limits the amount that you can increase the rent buy if you are a landlord. So there are beneficial things for renters, which perhaps again would if politically the Labor Party wants to discuss that, then surely that might be a positive. But as you say, if you can't get an apartment, then it's a problem. There are lots of other tax changes. Some have had lots of attention, like the change to inheritance tax on family businesses and farms, like the changenges to dividend and capital gains taxes, which have had quite a bit of attention i'd say from investors because again they're rashting up the tax. Take the Chancellor you know, wants to increase the revenue from that. What is it going to mean for people?
Speaker 8: Well, the things I mean, so the dividend tax has going up by two percentage points and the basical rate and the higher rate additional rates staying the same because if it went up any further it would basically almost be inlane because the end tax straight and I mean there's not I mean beyond using your tax shells, there's basically that you can do. But that's except for swallow it inheritance taxes a head covered change. So the IHD changes are if you basically, if you want to have farm or business property, then now rather than basically having uncapped relief or an inheritance tax, you can pass on up to two point five million per individual, so it means five million in total. And to be feeled, that went up because it was originally one million, but the government kind of back down a bit on that and raised it and image you pass that over and then after that you get HD effectively. The relief is half, so it means you're paying HD at twenty percent rather than forty percent. And that's on everything above the two point five of the five million am stocks. It gets them too. This they don't have the two point five million allowance. They just have the normal allowance, but now they'll have after two years. You used to be able to hold certain ame stocks and pass them all free of inheritance tax. Now they'll be taxed at twenty percent rather than forty percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But all of this raft of tax changes and employment rights changes coming on the sixth of April, and we shall see what happens in terms of its impact on the economy, even as we know that the economic backdrop, of course for the UK and for many other countries because of the war in Iran, does seem to be dark a little bit. John, thank you so much for being with me talking over all of the details. Bloomberg's John Steppek. Thanks for your time, and you can catch up of course with John's Money Distilled newsletter in the week. I'm Karin Hepka here in London. You can catch us every weekday morning for Bloomberg Daybreak. You up that's the beginning at six am in London, one am on Wall Street, Nathan.
Speaker 2: Thanks Caroline, and coming up on Bloomberg day Break Weekend, we'll look ahead to China's March CPI and PPI data releases. I'm Nathan Hager, and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Nathan Hager in Washington. This week we get March readings on inflation in China. Let's get a preview now from Bloomberg's Doug Prisner, host of the Daybreak Asia podcast.
Speaker 4: Thanks Nathan. China has been mired in a record streak of deflation, especially at the wholesale level. However, there are signs of change. For example, in February, producer prices slumped nine tens of one percent last year a negative reading, yes, but it was much better than economist at forecast. And more recently we've seen signs of building price momentum. The latest manufacturing PMI show the Chinese companies recorded their fastest surge in both raw material cost and output prices in about four years now. This represents one of the first tangible signs of the spillover from the conflict in the Middle East. So a few questions here, what does this mean for the Chinese economy and where does the Chinese inflation story go from here? For a closer look, let's bring in Bloomberg economist Eric Jeu, who joins us from Hong Kong. Thank you so much, Eric for being here. So, the price component of that PMI report indicated largely that inflation was being imported, and I'm wondering, is that a wealth come signed for China.
Speaker 9: In terms of the result. Yeah, I think definitely is going new that we might finally get out of deflation this year or very soon. I think the next next week's much price data. I think it's becoming quite consensus now the PPI should turn positive, you know, thanks to the energy caused shock from the Iran War. So I think it's probably the first inflation reading for PPI in more than three years. So last time it's the end of the war, your career in the Russian War, right, So it's been more than three years, and I think finally now the PPI is going to get out of deflation. And CPI is already in the inflationary doom. So I think it's we're expecting the GDP deflator could turn positive maybe, if not the first quarter, it must be the second part. So in terms of final result, I think it's it's it's what part the makers they're really looking forward, you know, to see a party of inflation, but it's probably get there by the wrong reason because we're always talking. They want to you know, push domest demand to drive the price up. But now I think it sends to some external shock. Actually it's it's it's essentially helping China, but probably not the recent supposi makers have been you know, making efforts. But anyway, it's the androidult here that we are getting there.
Speaker 4: That's an interesting point because you and I have spoken in the past about the weak growth story in China. So if things don't improve and energy prices were to remain elevated, is stagflation of possibility?
Speaker 9: Not quite, because in the first quarter we actually have seen some signs of domestic demand is picking up, but it's still at a very low level compared to a very weak final quarter of last year. So you know, investment is picking up. Also, consumption slightly accelerating, so it's I think at least you can see that the bottom and the demand might have bottomed out, but still it takes a quite time for us to see a robust tomorrow, but recovery on those demands sides, so I'm not really seeing it's more like stagnation for China. I think the demand is still slowly, slowly recovering, but now after the supply shock is really helping more on the price side.
Speaker 4: So I'm wondering about how the consumer is performing right now in China and whether demand is beginning to pick up ever so slightly. You talk about the fact that retail inflation in China is out of deflation right now, are we're seeing a little bit more exuberance on the part of the consumer.
Speaker 9: I think the first two months it's it's quite positive. But you know, because China this year, this year's Luna new Your holiday is longer than usual, have a nine days holiday, so it's still not clear whether the holiday is boosting up to the retail sales or it's just after holidays, So the machas data will be more interesting after the holiday demand is if they did, we're going to see how you know that the much retail sales is doing. If that's still kind of robust, so that would be a more incredible sign of demanding and pulling up. If you see retail sales out decelerating slowly again, then it's probably just a one off booster from the holidays. So that means the comment still needs more work to you know, stimulate consumption.
Speaker 4: So Eric, give me a sense of what that might look like. I know from the most recent NPC gathering, creating inflation was a top priority, So I'm curious about what more the government could do to change the narrative here.
Speaker 9: I think if you look at NPC, actually the policy it broadly continuing, so they don't add much more additional stimulus. So on the consumption side, I think basically they're continuing what they're doing last year, you know, subsidy for consumption upgrading, and also they'll continue going to give child subsidies as kind of you know, small incremental structure reforms in trying to address the high living costs for ready on child, for child education, that kind of stuff. Our view is that those steps will be will help in the end, but it will be a long process, so it's not going to you know, change consumer behind behavior overnight. So it does require long community from the government to continueing or even step up with those small steps, and this can gradually improve consumer sentiment and help them to spend more hopefully.
Speaker 4: Obviously, the property market is a big part of the story, and housing prices continue to remain very very weak. Give me your sense of where we we go from here just in terms of real estate and what the government can do to kind of verse what we have been seeing month on month on month.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's a good point. Actually, we just this some assessment up to the assessment of the property market. Actually after we saw some green shoots in the first two months, the jopping the declining home prices and hoome sales were actually narrowing in the first two months of this year, so we revised our long term outto for property market. I think we think it's if you look at the whole correction which started like five years ago, that's a starting point, and if we believe the whole process is to readjust the demand supply property supply to align with the declining demand. We think the whole process now is like seventy percent done, So that means that could be still thirty percent to be adjusted before we see a stabilidation, so we think that may take one or two more years. So I think most by the end of next year we might find out a stabilization. You know how they market.
Speaker 4: To what extent is the overcapacity problem in China being addressed, because I know that was blamed for a long time for kind of fueling this deflationary trend.
Speaker 9: I think the government that I was actually doing something since last year, and but it's basically focusing on the supply side. And you know, they're asking some sectors, evs, solar panel and also some online platforms. So I think they just called it. I think they just had some statement the last week, you know, seeing they need to on our platform, they need to stop the price wars and you know, cut the subsidies for those sales. So I think the government definitely, you know, they're trying to prevent a more cuss throat price war in those industries and trying to h make the price up so in order to you know, have inflation returns sooner than they expected. I think that definitely we have seen some effects from those efforts in the price data, and I think this year they're going to continue to do those things and combining with you know, the price the war shock, I think that's also why we see the PPI or CPI is actually getting out of deflationary, although it's still in mind the inflation, but they're getting there.
Speaker 4: Can you give me a sense of the latest readings on sentiment that we know on the manufacturing side, the pm I data was pretty robust, But I'm curious as to how people are generally feeling about what's happening in the Chinese economy.
Speaker 9: I think domestically, I think it's they have similar feeling in me that probably the warst time over right, we see some domestic demanded picking up. This is a very slow pick cup, I think. I think many people economists they would agree that probably this year we're going to see some milder inflation and demand is stolen picking up, although it comes the lowers across tuget. But I think it's a more pragmatic move means that it's not going to be strong stimulus. But they called me is still holding up. You know, the experts are also strong despite the terrorists, So I think the whole komy is not at least it's not as as bad as last year. So right, the last the final quote of last year is the worst GDP liking how many years. So I think I think that's the bottom of the economy right now.
Speaker 4: So things have bottom blout and we're improving in China. Yeah, right, okay, good. That is Bloomberg economist Eric Jeu in Hong Kong. In the last two week, City Group hosted its Hong Kong Macro Conference. There were discussions about geopolitics and monetary policy as well as economic outlooks, and that's where we caught up with Patrick Harker. He is the former president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia. Pat spoke with Bloomberg TV host Heidi Stroud, Watts and.
Speaker 7: Cherry on what a time to be a central banker? And I guess perhaps a better to have to be an ex central banker.
Speaker 6: What do you think the conversations would be like happening at the FED right now?
Speaker 10: I think what the Fed's dealing with right now is the triple whammy of deportations, tariffs, and now the war, and so that just adds to the uncertainty the economy is already facing. You know, it's amazing the US economy has been very resilient, but it's showing real signs of fragility right now, and so the Fed's.
Speaker 9: Very worried.
Speaker 1: On the balance of risk.
Speaker 7: If you were still in the hot seat, what would you be voting for?
Speaker 10: Oh, I'd vote the whole no question in that this uncertainty is there. We're probably mildly restrictive when it comes to the FED country, but I would just hold right now, let some of this uncertainly resolve itself, because inflation is still above two percent and the FED has to commit to getting it to two percent.
Speaker 7: The argument against that would also be that inflation has been elevator for a while, right so we continue to see this play out, especially with no resolution in Iran. Wouldn't the economic hit to the US be greater? Why are you still leaning towards holding now?
Speaker 10: I think the inflation issue is paramount. The FED actually cannot do that much when it comes to the labor market. What's happening in the labor market in the US is the impact of AI and other changes that are well outside the realm of monetary policy. So I think the FED should really focus first and foremost on inflation right now.
Speaker 4: That is Patrick Harker. He is the former head of the Philadelphia Fed, speaking there with Bloomberg TV host Heidi Stroud Watts and Sherry On at the City Hong Kong Macro Conference. I'm Doug Krisner. You can catch us weekdays for the Daybreak Asia podcast. It's available wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Nathan, Thanks Doug, and that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend. Join us again Monday morning at five am Wall Street Time for the latest don markets, overseas and the news you need to start your day. I'm Nathan Hager. Stay with us. Top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.