Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Nola.
Speaker 3: They call me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Dylan the Tennessee pal Fagan. Most importantly are you. You are here that makes this the stuff they don't want you to know? And oh geez, friends and neighbors, fellow conspiracy realists. It feels so good to be back to the best part of the show. You and all of your fellow listeners. I like you guys, stick around, Oh please do you might be on the show this evening. We're going to talk with several people. We don't know how much we'll be able to get to. We had some excellent conversations we alluded to about the our episode on the Manchester Pusher. Because again, props to props to you, Matt, that's one of the many ideas I was digging up through the trenches and I originally didn't want to do it, and you said we had to, so credit where it's due. You were absolutely correct. We actually had some law enforcement right back about that one, we're going to hear from. Additionally, we're gonna hear about some Hulla Blues internationally. Let's see what else we got here. We got we got a Randy of the bigger variety. Then we also have a little bit of a Dey project and we have some Oh, we have such wonders to show you. Is that the line is that the line bound.
Speaker 4: Heard email it every time? Or you know the hell Raiser, the movie, the ride and the adaptation. Yes, sir, yes sir. So what do you what do we say?
Speaker 3: Gens? What if we what if we pause for a second for a word from our sponsors? Full disclosure. By the way, Nolan and I have not really had a chance to super kick it with you, Matt or with you Dylan post travel, So making some space there to see. How are you doing? Man?
Speaker 2: Just upset you're spending time with another Matt when I'm not around.
Speaker 4: Stillo is the matted question. I like him too, but he can never replace our Matt. You're you're the og Matt Matty. Two hands, Mattie, both hands, Mattie.
Speaker 2: All right? Well, yes, uh doing good? Dylan, you doing fine.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Dylan the audio engineer, by the way, has been doing more than I'm sorry. What I'm describing is Dylan's ability is to engineer miraculous audio. We've got this saying that we use when we start recording talking about Dylan.
Speaker 5: Yea, Dylan created in the first place. What is it, guys? Digging up to dig up?
Speaker 4: Time to dig up through to Vegas and somehow it's just loned into this. Every single week we do listener mail, Dylan has contributed a new dig up the Rude Begas sound c And I think we're gonna make space here at the beginning of listener Mail to hear.
Speaker 3: Those further further behind the scenes while we're peeking. Uh, Dylan, I want to give credit where it's due that you have You have done a tremendous job of approaching and interrogating genre. Yes, praise dig Up the Ruta bagas Dylan. Can you bless us and our fellow conspiracy realist playing along at home with tonight's clip time. I love it. I love it. Dylan. Huge jazz, which I think we all we all need a little more smooth jazz in our lives.
Speaker 4: It sounds like a public radio like Pledge drive bumper. There's the music you just that kind of smooth am gold vibe that you that you found there.
Speaker 5: Good good job, sir.
Speaker 3: And with that, we're going to pause for a word from our sponsors and we'll return to hear from you.
Speaker 2: And we are back. We are jumping to the phone lines to hear from Alpha Flight, who called on February fourth, twenty twenty five. That date is important because the day before there was a certain NBA game that was played that we're going to hear about and then we're gonna have some further discussion. So here's Alpha Flight.
Speaker 6: Hey guys, Alpha Flight here calling in regards to this pullabaloo between the tariff with the US and Canada. Realize it kind of seems a little bit benign. In addition to all the craziness is happening on your end of the border, just a couple crazy things that happened even just today, specifically the fact that within the span of about four hours here in Ontario are pre here Doug Ford, who is the brother of former Toronto mayor and KRACK enthusiast Rob Ford, with the LCBO to the liquor Control Board of Ontario where they took all of the American alcohol off the shelves, which is apparently yearly a roughly one billion dollar industry. Also paused a one hundred million dollars deal with Starlink as well as blocked and they did illegal for American companies to have provincial contracts within Ontario. And my understanding is a lot of the other provinces followed suit with this. Now, the crazy thing that happened is all that seems to be off the table now because President Trump recanted his his tariffs for at least thirty days. So it was great, but whole feeling of uneasiness here between Canada and the States, I just kind of wanted to get your take on it. Just feeling a little a little weird between us. Uh, this this relationships feeling a little strained. I was actually at a Raptors game yesterday and the national anthem, the US national anthem, i should say, was booed very loudly. It was cheered immensely. So it's just things like that that are It just seems so Uncanadian for us to be in this kind of sad hella baloop before. But I'll say all up and upgrade into a full blown kerfuffle between the So uh yeah, I just wanted your your takes on it. Anyway, I love the show, love hearing from you guys, and U. I won't bring up that saying Ben, don't worry in my nose is in the you know your seekers safest me. All right, take your guys.
Speaker 5: Oh good god man, all right, guys.
Speaker 4: Prime Man of Canada Justin Trudeau just echoed most of that sentiment in a public statement or a public press conference. So he talked about, you know, we're hurt over here. We don't understand why our partners would do something that would try to hurt us. It feels as though the administration of the United States trying to collapse the or you know, injure the economy of Canada. And he said the thing about booing the national anthem. But then he also talked to individual humans who are Americans, saying we're not mad at you, are still your brothers and sisters and all of that.
Speaker 5: So I don't know, Yeah, we feel bad, we feel weird about it too.
Speaker 2: Before we get into the full kerfuffle here for a discussion, let's hear from that national anthem instance at the Toronto Raptors game played on February third, I believe it was twenty twenty five. This is just a quick little snippet just so we hear exactly what Alpha Flight's talking about. It doesn't feel good at all.
Speaker 3: Well, it's not you, guys fault. You're not the we're not at the at the helm of the wheel of power here. But it is understandable. And if I could just take a moment and say, first Alpha Flight, thank you h for referencing one of the best superhero teams in all of comicdom. And then secondly, yeah, thank you for your confidentiality. Let's keep that incident.
Speaker 4: What was the super team? I might I might have missed that. Alpha I don't know about it. Tell us Alpha Flight is awesome.
Speaker 3: It's I don't want to derail z. I'll send you way too many things. I also have some graphic way universe. Is this from Alpha Flight is market making?
Speaker 2: Just to make a quick point that it it's certainly there's no responsibility felt when it comes to just feeling bad hearing the national anthem boot I think it's just generally a.
Speaker 5: Be an American.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what it means right now, whether you're complicit in it directly or not, we are seen as Americans, we are seen as party to this kind of stuff, and it feels bad.
Speaker 2: Well, it makes you understand why Alpha Flight is just feeling personally so uncomfortable with it. Right on a personal level. It just stings in some way, all of this stuff, So gosh, I guess let's get there's so much to discuss here. We're going to be discussing tariffs at length very soon in an episode. But this is just getting us up to date on some of the real time stuff that's happening. Even today on March seventh, as we're recording this, there are live updates occurring where there are just back and forth essentially retaliations that are occurring, where tariffs are going up against Canada. Canada is retaliating with tariffs against the United States, and then threats about further tariffs against Canada are being made by the President of the United States, and it is just going back and forth and back and forth, and nobody is happy. I don't think at least the human beings that are going to be affected by these decisions and statements are. We're not happy. Russia is super Yeah, anybody that wants to destabilize maybe allies that couldn't.
Speaker 4: Be a been feeling a little destable guys just as a citizen, you know.
Speaker 3: Huh, well consider you know, we saw the some of the correspondents via conspiracydiheartradio dot com regarding the attitudes of what the media is selling to the public. Right In our earlier episodes, we explored the the works like Foundations of Geopolitics by Alexander Dugan and how this is step in step the current US policies are indeed step in step with some of the goals outlined in that work. Please do check out our previous episode. I do also just want to point out this has already held immediate consequences for the economy of certain states, particularly the economy of Kentucky, which is reliant upon selling alcohol to the north, you know, up north, and you can you can find many viral clips now of Canadian institutions or stores, grocery stores, whatever, pulling American products up to an including the hard liquor from the shelves because they are American.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, the Liquor Board officially said you cannot sell American liquor anymore. So it's gone off the shelves. It's too bad. And then you can go to Canada dot c A and you can find a quote list of products from the United States subject to twenty five percent tariffs effective March fourth, twenty twenty five. And guys, when I say this one's a scroller, this one's a scroller. It goes everything from meat and edible offal of the poultry heading zero one zero five fresh chilled or frozen, all the way down to rice, all the way down to cane or beet, sugar pastas at. Literally everything and anything that you can imagine that is a product that could be imported from the United States is on here, including lighting fixtures and lighting fittings, seats, other furnitures, firearms, other firearms, refrigerators, glassware, it's literally everything.
Speaker 3: You gotta love firearms and arms because I love you know, it's like reading between the lines and these statements. Somebody goes, okay, yeah, firearms, and then someone got in front of it and said, now the other ones too, smart guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah yeah. And then just ten hours ago, the BBC wrote about how Donald Trump, or you know, the United States government has expanded some exemptions from Canada and Mexico from the tariffs. And then there were official statements made literally moments ago before hitting the record button where President Trump is threatening two hundred and fifty percent taxes on dairy that's coming from Canada, as well as major taxes on lumber that's coming from Canada, which is something that has been disputed for a long time, the basically trade of lumber and dairy from Canada to the United States. And then you've got the Starlink contract, which was in fact canceled, and then a proposal for one hundred percent tariff on Tesla made vehicles, and it just feels like an unending, at least currently unending, perpetual fight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the word would be brinksmanship, because a lot of these things are. This is classic nineteen eighties Wall Street negotiation kind of tactics. You start off with something crazy so and I mentioned this in something previous. You start off with something crazy, right and bellicos and threatening, and then you pull it back so that the real crazy thing you want looks normal, right, like if you were talking to your significant other, your parents, your kids, your roommates or something. And let's say you wanted five parakeets. Five parakeets is a crazy thing to get. So the way that you get five parakeets is you say we're getting forty parakeets or I'm burning down the house, and then you wait for them to say that's crazy, and then you step it down slowly to five parakeets, which is still crazy, but now it looks normal. That is similar to what's happening now. A lot of these proposed tariffs are not going to come to pass in the same way that they are loudly proclaimed, but we.
Speaker 4: Already have like a stay of at least one of them with Mexico and a tweet or a truth or whatever that came out kind of I don't know. It felt like somebody else wrote it first of all, but just basically saying, oh, we got we came to an understanding. Everything's cool now only certain types of classifications of goods will be subject to tariff. And I just felt like a full walk back. And I guess on the last episode we just recorded, I mentioned a lot of chatter on the Internet and elsewhere it seems to.
Speaker 5: Be accusing the President of.
Speaker 4: Market manipulation with this kind of stuff. I just wonder what you guys thought about that.
Speaker 2: Ah, potentially, but I don't know. I don't know enough about.
Speaker 4: Well just walking just doing like a you know, I mean, obviously the markets react to this idea of things being more expensive and then to like, you know, now instead it's happening, and then the eleventh hour pull back on it, you know, kind of allows your rich buddies to buy low and sell when it comes back up.
Speaker 5: I don't know, It's just it could be a move, that is all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a nice follow up to what it was just saying a few months ago. Like, the idea is that you you deconstruct the concept of normal, right, you rephrase or re reframe what should be considered acceptable activity. You know, you walk in and you say, this thing that has always been fifty dollars is going to cost two hundred dollars for you now, and you say, no, that's crazy, and then you keep making outsize threats and eventually you get to what you really want, which is to charge sixty dollars. This assumes, of course, a somewhat rational actor.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, there's another tactic we learned about within the real estate world where you'll allow a swath of a city, let's say, or a suburban area to lose a lot of funding or you know, remove some funding from it. You destabilize that area, You let it, You let the prices in that area fall and fall and fall and fall, and the value of it to fall, so that the wealthy individuals, often investment groups, can come through and cut it up, and a bunch of groups can come in and buy it for real, real cheat, and then you put the investment back in and now it's you know, super expensive again. I just I wonder if something like that is happening on a massive scale for purposes we are yet to know.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of players in the game. You know, the the US national parks may well end up being sold off in an unprecedented way. That is on the table. Now. We'll also see what the rise. Look, we're going to talk about this. As you said, Matt a lot in our episode on Terraffs. What we see is that protectionism is a real tricky it's a real tricky beast to ride, and in some cases it can benefit the people, the public, individuals and the private industries of a nation, but it can often come back. Like the pendulum swings in very small increments, and it's very easy to go too far to one side of the pendulum, especially when you're looking at when you're looking at products, goods and services that a country has to import. You know what I mean. I'm thinking in particular of very sensitive things like chips, right, computer chips or just regular chips. As fans of snacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, food, food is important, and if you get most of it from outside, then how you get that food and how much you pay for it is pretty important. All right, Well, guys, there's way more to discuss here, but we're gonna leave it at that. Let us know what you think about the situation, how it's affecting you, how much that dodge rim is going to cost that you once had as a pipe dream but now is unattainable. You know that's a thing. Now. Anyway, we'll tell you how to contact us at the end of the episode, And for now we will hear a word from our sponsors and we'll be right back.
Speaker 4: And we have returned with more messages from you. Yes, you got a couple of real strong ones today, y'all. They're always strong. But first off, let's talk to Big Shucks, who wrote in with the following missive, how illegal is it to scam people who are trying to do something illegal? My idea borrowed from a podcast which I think he later determined to be our podcast, make a dot Onion dark Web murder for higher sight, take their money, but don't do that murder.
Speaker 5: Where do I stand legally?
Speaker 4: This is such a good question, right, Because I mean, I guess, guys, if you're getting wind of a crime that is potentially going to be committed, it is your duty to report that crime and not profit from it and then not tell anyone.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of our conversation with Carl about the killst because that's precisely what happened.
Speaker 3: Spoiler Yeah, yeah, we had this. We had this fantastic interview with guys Narra Carl Miller wherein he explores a real life example of this, which perhaps inspired you Shucks to write to us there. As far as I can tell in conversations Carl, this is somewhat of a legal gray area with light spoilers. In at least one instance, law enforcement was in contact and I wrote to Big Chucks about this. Law enforcement was in contact with someone doing exactly what Shucks describes, and they didn't rest him, They did not put the guy in jail, They did not find him no civil nor criminal action. Perhaps it was a greater good argument, but legally icy well.
Speaker 4: So law enforcement discovered this individual on their own. He didn't like come to them to try to be a good samaritan and report this, you know, evil doer.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: I believe the latter is true if I recall correctly. But again this is not us recommending anything but checking out Karl.
Speaker 4: kN absolutely, But I guess the question being like, if you did scam somebody they took through their took their money and then reported them, are the cops gonna like look at your bank account or question you know, whether or not you took money from this individual? Is that even because I guess that's where it's maybe it's less of a legal gray area more just like a well we're just happy to have the tip.
Speaker 3: Maybe, But then also we get to things about the provenance of profit. For instance, if you were if you were engaging in human trafficking or those other unclean endeavors, and then you were saying you were saying, okay, I'll take your money I'm pretending, you know, to sell you human beings. And then law maybe it's an order of operations thing. Maybe do go to your local law at first and say I found these people. But the question I didn't really get to this with shucks. But the question is then like why, you know, like does law enforcement not have this? One of the questions would be is a vigilante or is a civilian active of their own volition? Are they therefore somehow indemnified from the laws we have regarding the concept of I.
Speaker 4: Was gonna ask the same question Ben Trapman seems to be a big part of it, like, because you could certainly like to catch a predator for example, that TV show you know, I mean, you are lying to someone and you are coercing them to a place, to a location under fault pretenses, but it is in the interest of catching them in the commission of a crime, and I guess that is entrapment.
Speaker 5: But they still those end up on TV. How does that work, guys, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, there were two websites discussed in kill List. The first one was the main one that was on the dark web that was used, you know, and people paid tens of thousands of dollars sometimes to put out multiple yeah, and sometimes you know, five thousand dollars, two thousand dollars, But to put out a hit on somebody. That was what the kill this followed primarily, But there was a second one called rent a Hitman dot com. That was a it was a it was a it became a satirical thing at first. I think it was rent somebody who I can't remember the specifics, but it was meant for a different purpose, and it was a fun title. It was a fun web page domain right that they used. But then it ended up several times. There were there were several instants is where versions of this hitman for higher website was taken over by law enforcement and the exact same thing, the scenario you're describing their null happened where it was actually the authorities watching you try and pay five thousand dollars to put a hit out on somebody.
Speaker 3: Happens a lot with CSAM, which is the acronym for child sexual abuse sources.
Speaker 4: Now, that makes a lot of sense, and I think it should be something that is permitted. Yeah, I do just wonder maybe where the legal gray area comes in when it comes to individuals doing this.
Speaker 5: It's interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for law enforcement, though, we need to make this point. For law enforcement, one of the primary concerns is, first off, making a case clean and having incontrovertible proof. And the second aspect, obviously is going to be the possibility of causing further harm even with the best of intentions. So there are real reasons that these laws ex and the tough thing is that often, you know, if you look at the way of the world, often law enforcement is at a disadvantage because they are obeying a rubric of behaviors and rules that criminals are simply not beholden to. So I'm on the side of catching bad guys.
Speaker 2: If you want to read more about this really quickly, you can head over to Rolling Stone. There's a twenty twenty article titled how a fake rent a hitman's site became an accidental murder for hire sting operation.
Speaker 4: There you go, Thanks Matt, and thanks big Shucks. Next, we got a quick one from Dave Hi. Guys, I enjoyed the two part podcast. Yes, the CIA hired magician thought you might get a kick out of this project bug in a book that I developed for the Spy Tech edition of Make magazine and subsequently delivered as a workshop at the International Spy Museum in Washington, where I met Bob Wallace. He sends a link to Covert dash team dot net where you can see this DIY build a bug literally in a we're listening device inside of a hollowed out book project. And uh, I don't know, I'm super into this kind of wiring and soldering and sound capture and stuff, but this is be a pretty cool project to take home, maybe even like with a with a young tech enthusiast in your family.
Speaker 3: I do love that point, And thank you Dave for this, agreed. Uh it's new Crystal radio, you know, it's new little Pinewood Derby kind of project. Uh, It's it reminds me very much, and Dave, you'll doubtlessly know about this. It reminds me of a series of toys we talked about back in the day hi tech. It was a different time.
Speaker 4: I had the sunglasses that will let you see behind you. I remember those. I don't know if I ever And then they had like some walkie talkies and stuff too, But there were tons of cool little little kits that you could get. But it was you know toy level for sure. And this what what's what's being described here? It actually it really is if you look at the website. It is an Amplify shirt pocket, amplified listener hearing aid with an in car FM transmitter. These are the devices that were combined to create a wireless bug that you can then tuck into a hollowed out book, a bible whatever. It's got to be thick enough, and then you can, yeah, use it concealed, just slide it into the bookshelf of whoever you want to surveil or don't you know, without their consent. That's not a good thing to do, but it's.
Speaker 3: Well, it depends on your state. It depends on your state. If you're a one party consent in the US, you can monitor without consent.
Speaker 5: So that's yeah, thanks for the tip on that. And would love to get a hold of one of these.
Speaker 4: And lastly, maybe this one is what I should have led with, but it maybe is outside the scope of what we have time for today, but I do think it's worth mentioning this message that came from.
Speaker 5: Aaron a Aaron Zen.
Speaker 4: And I'm just gonna among multiple things that Aaron A. Aaronson contacted us about I'm a big fan of this revelation. That was something that I wasn't aware of. Amongst all the stuff that's happening with Trump trying to turn the world upside down with his cronies, one thing was announced that got lost in the volume of announcements, the creation of a sovereign wealth funds WF. What is a sovereign wealth fund, you ask? It is a national fund owned by the government that uses money to invest in anything and everything to grow wealth for the country. They trade openly and are more common than people think, with many nations around the world setting up these funds to act independently of their government with the sole purpose of making money. Some of the most famous ones are the national funds of oil rich Arab states, where they are investing any oil profits as to be able to diversify their economy and or have a source of income once the oil runs out. It's their sole income generator. Other nations have these funds set up so as to create a piggy bank for future liabilities that might not be able to be met and or would place undue pressure on the tax payer. Our listener here is from Australia, and talks about how in two thousand and six they set one up to meet the unfunded pension requirements of public servants. And Yeah, I was definitely familiar with the UH. These type of funds used in Arab nations to invest in things like infrastructure and like all kinds of you know, UH economic development programs and things of Ben and when when Ben and I were in Qatar recently at a big giant tech conference, we were certainly seeing all kinds of startups that were likely benefiting from this setup and getting funded, you know, everything from laying fiber by telecom companies to even.
Speaker 5: Like apps like food delivery type stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, agreed. The sovereign wealth fund or sovereign investment fund is there are sometimes also called It's a thing where you have a you have a bunch of money that your local nation state has made and they want to take in theory collective responsibility to engage with money management for the betterment of the nation, however that may be defined. And as you described, NOL, we appen in areas of the world where this stuff occurs. Personally, I have an abiding interest in these sorts of funds what I would call in correspondence with the Aaron, what I called the least harmful SWF was Norway's or is Norway's, because Norway has made quite a bit of scratch off their fossil fuel industry. However, they are at a certain point, as you point out as well, Aaron, they're past a certain threshold of size financially such that if they put too much money into a domestic thing at once, then they can distort the market in a way that weirdly enough, ends up hurting people. So there's definitely more to explore to this story, and so much got lost with all the all of the I'LB diplomatic all the strident declarations or pitches coming from the current presidential administration. It's hard to know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it also points out that since the US, unlike some of the other nations that we mentioned that you mentioned, doesn't have nationalized businesses that have value that can be sold, you know, like profit oil profits or whatever, you know, to fund this kind of stuff, the idea would be that all of this stuff would have to be borrowed. And also one thing that I've heard is that within this portfolio, you know, it could involve investing in things like crypto, like cryptocurrency and certain what would be considered like almost meme coins, you know, I mean that with the lack of transparency in that type of investment. So that was interesting to me as well, because there's a lot of talk in Washington about you know, crypto reserves and all that, but we also know that stuff historically has been pretty risky.
Speaker 3: But it has a recent history to be fair, you know what I mean. Crypto hasn't been around forever, and neither has sovereign wealth fund. One of the most surprising things we learn about it in our research is the at least the language of it. The name only comes about in like two thousand and five, right shortly before this show began, and the actual what we call the entry point for something like a sovereign wealth fund in this concept, I don't know. I mean, obviously something like this existed before there was a name put on it. Mansa Musa in Evenings of Old absolutely broke multiple economies of Northern Africa just because he was too rich. It had too much money, in this case literally gold. The problem is still the same, but please check out our episodes on the US Treasury and it'll tie into our tariff episode as well, because the money moves and sometimes more money makes more problems. Shout out to you so.
Speaker 4: Huge thanks to Big Shocks, Dave and Aaron a Aaron Son. I really appreciate you writing in and giving us some stuff to think about and talk about. Let's take a quick break here aware from our sponsor, and then we'll come back with our last bit of a listener mail. In today's Listener Mail episode.
Speaker 3: We have returned with the vital act of our weekly Listener Male segment. This would well, we'll keep it kind of short, but I think it's something that is of interest to all of us. Not too long ago, we received an excellent piece of correspondence from someone going by check out this name you guys, the Wondering Wizard. I kind of like it. I think it refers to maybe those memes that have been going around where it's a picture or wandering. I think they're both the same. You know, so have you again? Have you all seen the the those excellent memes of like old school paintings of a wizard. They say, I never see you at the club. You say you never see me at the club. I never see you at the sky. Fortress exactly.
Speaker 5: Yes, I love those.
Speaker 4: I've sent them to a few bros, including yourselves. I could swear that I've sent you guys some Wizard memes at some point. I've been a big fan of the format for sure.
Speaker 3: Man, we are big fans of wandering and wandering Wizards. And just to get in front of this, we can confirm to you guys, our pals from this is Important have absolutely nothing to do with the wizards wrapping that has been confirmed to be a common misapprehension.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those those guys that know the workaholics dudes, that's it.
Speaker 3: That's the only relationship they have. Our Wandering Wizard writes to us and says, have you guys done a show on the prophecy of the Popes? The current pope, Pope Francis, is the one hundred and twelfth pope that we know of, and the prophecy has only listed one hundred and twelve. Thought it might make for an interesting episode or deep dive either way, love the show. You guys and your team are pretty great. Keep up the good work. I added the pretty so that we didn't sound you know, we have to copy on it a little bit.
Speaker 6: Yes, big.
Speaker 3: So big. Have you guys heard of the Prophecy of the Popes? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember this from a while back, because this has been around for a minute.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, you are correct, mister Frederick. It is a series of i would say, free verse poetry in Latin that claims to predict the future holders of the of the papal office. It was first published by a monk back in fifteen ninety five, his name Arnold Won maybe by on w Io and this guy. When he published it, he said, look, I'm getting this from another dude from back in the eleven hundred. It's his name is Saint Malachi. Well, you know, if it doesn't work out, it's not me I'm quoting, you know, big Mallie.
Speaker 2: If you're searching it, it doesn't look like Malachi the way I know it to be spelled. It's m a lacy.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, a state of pure Malichi. Look, there's the alleged original prophecy, and then there's an interpretation of the prophecy. And the interpretation is really when we run into what I would call the Nostradamus problem. Did you guys ever really get into those Nostradamus quatrains?
Speaker 2: Yeah, when we talked about him.
Speaker 3: Exactly we did, we did, all right? All right, yeah, no, that's a good point. We talked about Nostradamus, and the problem with prognostications so often, especially through the great telephone game of history, is that people will kind of read what they want to hear when they see these prophecies nostro Damas. For instance, I remember there was an old book we picked up where they said they had some very like vague thing, and the author tried to assure us it was entirely about the nineteen ninety six attack at the Atlanta Olympic Games. O kick, you know what I mean? Right, Okay, So let's learn really briefly a bit about Saint Malachi or Malachi just to set this up. This guy lives from like ten ninety four to eleven forty eight CE, so after the time of Jesus Christ. He is from modern day Ireland. And his final prediction is the following. We're going to read this in English, so we may lose a little bit in translation. In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church, there will reign Peter the Roman, who will feed his flock amid many tribulations, after which the seven, hilled city will be destroyed, and the dreadful judge Capital j will judge the people the end. Indeed, yes, yeah, they had a hard period on that. So the idea is the way people are trying to confirm this is by arguing that Pope Francis, as he's known now, he chose his papal name in the honor of Saint Francis ASSISI. He was born pre papacy Jorge Mario Burgoglio or jog.
Speaker 5: Leo Good So, yeah, I think somewhere in between.
Speaker 3: Yes, apologies for pronunciations spelled b E r go O g l Io. And some of the folks who really, you know, put a full brunt of credence in this. They say this prophecy from Saint Malachi is referring to the fact that the father of Saint Francis, Pope Francis's namesake, is named Pietro, which translates to Peter. Feels like a little bit of walk. Just gonna be honest, feels like a little bit of a stretch. Matt's doing a great shrug and clap.
Speaker 2: What if uh huh, Peter, Yeah, is the next pot because you know about the you know, the health issues going on? Right now? What if the next boat that comes in is Peter, what happens then? What do we do? Because then the prophecy is fulfilled?
Speaker 3: Right right? And what is what is the end? The Seven hild City, by the way, is it is a description of Rome of the Vatican on the famous seven hills there. So I feel like that when we can safely interpret. But just yesterday before we came into record this evening, the Vatican issued a statement on the health of Pope Francis. As we know, he's been battling pneumonia, respiratory issues. He is eighty eight years old right now, he has severe bronchitis. The statement that was released said that he well, they didn't say much. They said that he has had to cancel some events. Mainly they're breaking the silence for millions and millions of faithful adherents of Catholicism who are worried about this guy. They said, essentially, like this is how terse this is. You guys ready, we'll read the statement in full, do it all right? The full statement is the Pope had a quiet night and is resting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But then he did record an audio message.
Speaker 3: He did record an audio message. We also have a longer statement. Right in his longer statement, they said he's resting Wednesday morning, or people are quoting the Holy See Press Office. Reports are showing that he went through a scheduled CT scan to monitor his bilateral pneumonia. For all of us non doctors, that's pneumonia in both looks, that's double pneumonia. And I don't know. He's been in the hospital for thirteen fourteen days. Now, what'd you make of the recorded statement there, Matt, Well, just.
Speaker 2: Give it to you. He said, quote, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your prayers for my health. From the square, I accompany you from here, May God bless you and the version protect you. Thank you. And that was it.
Speaker 5: That's all he was able to say, basically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And medical experts have described his condition as a complex clinical picture. It's not looking amazing like. It still seems to be an uphill journey. Apparently the Pope himself has told some of his confidants that he is not one hundred percent certain about his chances for recovery, and that's perhaps why Wandering Wizard the idea of the prophecy here, the prophecy of the popes has come back into the public eye. I don't know, because we talked about other prophecies that are incorporated into Catholicism, and I have to ask you, guys, what do we make of this? Is this is there legitimacy or people reading tea leaves? Is this something we should keep a closer eye upon.
Speaker 2: I blug man, We've got a lot of stuff going on right now. At every time in history that we've had this kind of discussion, it's felt like, oh, we're probably on the precipice, the old doomsday clock is where it is, the you.
Speaker 3: Know, the Mayan calendar got misinterpreted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but just everything, you know, it feels there's enough turmoil to make it feel as though, oh, the end is certainly nigh, and oh this this is just another prophecy that says it's it's happening, and it already feels like it's happening. So I think there's just that reoccurring confirmation that we continually have been getting over the past what twenty years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is something I don't want to say self important, but there's something devilishly tempting that we see in every iteration of human civilization, which is the people living at the time seem pretty convinced they're living in the end times. They're like, there, there's not a historical record of a civilization going this is great, it's amazing, nothing's going wrong, and nothing will go wrong. We're starting from square one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but not often has the world been on the precipice of the next World war? Right, That's only happened two times, And the third one is.
Speaker 3: If we're not counting the Bronze Age Collasse.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, correct, you're absolutely right there. I guess in maybe modern history, and I guess that's there.
Speaker 3: Yeh, yeah, I feel you. Yeah, I mean there's another thing. There are a lot of people arguing, more skeptical folks in the crowd, arguing that just like the Shroud of Turin, the Prophecy of the Popes is a forgery, and that it was actually it was not rediscovered in some ancient Roman ruins, but that it was instead composed around fifteen ninety. And the timeline makes a little bit of sense, because we have to remember this is back when people were you know, selling a bunch of relatieries left and right, and little shards of the true cross. People were joking about this, especially the skeptics centuries ago. But maybe maybe we should pay closer attention to these things, or at least to an episode about it, because look, we're in the moment, we're here with you, folks, and as Matt was saying, it does feel like we're you know, we're at the NYE point. We're at defcon NYE.
Speaker 2: Yep, I mean pretty much. Oh wait, what was that other thing? Is there an asteroid headed towards Earth?
Speaker 4: No, they said that was going to be fine, right, that's where We're's.
Speaker 5: A positive news it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was at three point one percent for a second, and I was like, hey, maybe I should, you know, get back into cannabis, because what does it matter?
Speaker 2: Get to the moon, baby, That's what I say. I'm playing. I'm just playing. I'm joking over.
Speaker 3: I feel also, to be clear, the world is ending for someone somewhere every day right as we record, and we have to exercise empathy. We'll keep this part short. Tell us what you think about the idea of a prophecy of the popes for our adherents of Catholicism in the audience tonight. We support you. We know this is a incredibly scary time and the only way that all of us get through these our present days is by moving together. With that being said, thank you so much for tuning in. We would love to hear from you. Big thanks to Alpha Flight, Big thanks to Big Shucks, Big thanks to Dave, nice one on the nice one on the bugs in the books there Dave, Big thanks of Wandering Wizard, everyone else that we didn't get to, including you, mister Aaronson. We will be back soon. In the meantime, join us out here in the dark. Find us on the emails, find us on the telephones, find us on the lines.
Speaker 5: Correct.
Speaker 4: You can find us at the handle Conspiracy Stuff, where we exist on Facebook, where we have our group Here's where it gets crazy, on x FKA, Twitter, and on YouTube. We have video content for you to enjoy on Instagram and TikTok. However, we're Conspiracy Stuff show boy.
Speaker 5: There's more.
Speaker 2: We have a phone number. It is one eight three three st d w WY. It's a voicemail system. When you call in, you've got three minutes. Give yourself a cool nickname and let us know within the message if we can use your name and message on the air. If you've got more to say it than can't fit in a voicemail. Maybe you've got attachments or links. Why not send us an email.
Speaker 3: We are the entities that read every piece of correspondence we receive, and you can always just go straight to this. Tell us whatever is on your mind. We monitor it twenty four hours a night, seven evenings a week. Be well aware, yet unafraid. Sometimes the void rides back, back, back, back back. But you might be asking, how can I know this is true? Well, there's one way to prove it to yourself. Step a little further from the light. Join us out here conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't Want You to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.