Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not? And who says? So? Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything. Hello, my beautiful people. I hope you're having a great week. I'm in New York and having a hard time believing it's already Thursday. I don't know if you feel this, but when I travel for work, it's like the days all just get mushed up together. But I'm here for a reason, and actually you're a part of it. So I post it on in Instagram, a talking circle that I threw at Gloria Steinem's house in her living room where the talking circles are, and we did it on Masculinity and I got a bunch of comments and dms saying I can't wait for this episode, and sadly we were not able to record it. It's not an episode, but you did give me an idea. So I have something very special coming for you, something you know. I can't say this often, but it's something that only I can give you. Nobody else could do it. So that is coming on the first Thursday of March, which is Women's month. You can probably guess what it is, but it's coming. So I'm very excited for that. So with that, we'll get into today's episode. Have you noticed that everywhere you turn, someone is telling you how to live your life. It's kind of exhausting. We live in a world flooded with tips and hacks in self improvement strategies, track your sleep, optimize your mornings, habit stack everybody.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: There's a popular theory that if all this advice really worked, why are so many of us still exhausted, overwhelmed, and unsure what actually makes a good life. I'm actually so mindful of that on this podcast because I do want every episode to improve all of our lives, and I don't ever want to pretend that one hack can do it. And our guest today solves for this. Okay. She is a best selling author, podcaster, and happiness expert, and she does not subscribe to that theory. Gretchen Rubin says modern self help is not the one size fits all approach that the Internet wants you to think it is.
Speaker 2: Sometimes people really try to jam themselves into someone else's model, or they insist that everybody should fit in the model that they're advocating. In my observation, that's just not the case.
Speaker 1: I think maybe when you hear Gretchen's title Happiness Researcher, you might make the assumption that she wants us to only live in a zone of bliss, that we should find a way to shield life's painful moments and then we'll be doing it right. And that's simply not true. She's reframed what living a happy life means for an entire generation. Spoiler alert, Avoiding the messy moments doesn't really make us any happier.
Speaker 2: Sometimes to live up to our values, we have to do something that's really unpleasant, or ask ourselves to do something we don't want to do, or deprive ourselves as something that we want, but that makes our life happier overall, even though it maybe isn't what makes us feel good in the moment.
Speaker 1: It might not surprise you that Gretchen, with all of her understanding of happiness is really good at giving advice. It's probably why she and her longtime friend, therapist Laurie Gottlieb, started a podcast called Since You Asked. But she's not here today to preach. Instead, she's here to help you look inward, to find your own internal wisdom, to cut through the noise on our path to self improvement. Because, as always on our never ending search for answers, we are met with even more to question. Today, it's time to question everything with Gretchen Ruben. Gretchen, you are a best selling author, an award winning podcaster, and one of today's most trusted voices on human nature. You and your work have helped millions of people examine how they live and why. The why is the part that I love so much. A lot of people don't know this, but you started your career clerking for Supreme Court Justice Sandra Dae O'Connor. Then you left, became a writer for ten years and started studying happiness. What was the question you couldn't stop asking yourself that made you walk away from so much of this certainty and this career that you had spent time becoming great at.
Speaker 2: Well, You know, there was a very specific question that I asked myself. And I was clerking for Sandraday O'Connor and I went for a walk on a beautiful October day and I was looking up at the Capital Dome and I thought, what am I interested in that everybody else in the world is interested, Like, what is the most interesting subject? Like I often asked myself rhetorical questions like that, and I thought, well, power, money, fame, sex. And it was like, power, money, fame, sex was this single subject and I just became intensely focused on researching and writing about it, which is something that had happened to me my whole life. Will get intensely interested in something and do a lot of research. But with this it grew and I was spending all my time reading and taking notes. And then finally it occurred to me, this is the kind of thing a person would do if they were going to write a book. Maybe I could write a book. So then I went to the bookstore and got a book called something like How to Write and Sell Your Nonfiction Book Proposal, and I followed the directions and that became my first published book, was called Power, Money, Fame, Sex. The user's guide. That all makes it sound much easier than it actually was. But that was the question that got me started on the path from law to writing.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite quotes about happiness is from Eleanor Roosevelt. She says, happiness is not a goal, it's a byproduct.
Speaker 2: That's the whole school of thought. Yes.
Speaker 1: So when you say school of thought, you don't agree.
Speaker 2: No, And it's like, who's on the other side, It's like John Stuart Mill, you know who am I to disagree with these illuminaries? But I mean because the way it's often framed to me is like, look, I don't care about living a happy life. I want to live a life rich with relationships and full of meaning and purpose. And I'm like, what do you think having a happy life would look like. I think that actually it's a byproduct and it's an ame. I think the aim and the by product are the same thing. So to me that choice doesn't really resonate. But there are many people who do frame it in that way. I must say, Oh.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. I like that. So you don't feel like happiness is a symptom. You do feel like it can be the goal.
Speaker 2: It's a symptom and an aame. It can be both. But I think that a lot of times when I say to people like, Okay, well you don't aim to be happy, what do you aim for? They describe what I would say as a happy life. It's actually a very serious question because some people think that, like, well, it's really morally and appropriate for me to seek to be happier, that in a world so full of suffering, it's not morally appropriate to try to work on my own personal happiness. Or I basically have all of everything a person should ask of life, and so if I want to be happier, I must be a spoiled brat. But in fact, with the research shows, and I think if you think about the people in your own life, you see that actually, happier people are more interested in the problems of the world around them, and they're more interested in trying to help. Happier people have better habits. They are more likely to donate their time and their money. They're more likely to help out if a friend or a family member, or a colleague or a neighbor needs a hand. They are more tolerant, they have more perspective, they're more resilient, they're better able to be good leaders and better team members, Like there's an energy that comes from it. And then when we're less happy, you know, it's easy to become defensive and isolated and preoccupied with our own problems because we're not very happy. So if it is selfish to want to be happier, we should be selfish, if only for selfless reasons. I think a lot of times people want to say, like, well, I'm not going to be selfish and worry about my own happiness. I'm going to think about the world and other people. But in fact that's a false choice.
Speaker 1: You're striking something in me because I interviewed a woman that I really admire her, both personally and professionally. There's not a lot of people I'm going to be honest that I've interviewed, that I get to know up close whose lives look really good to me. I usually feel like there's something that isn't for me, and that's okay, it's for them. She's one of the people I really feel like she figured out the matrix for me. And she said to me at lunch one day, Danielle, you're going to have to make a choice. You're going to have to decide if you want to be happy or you want to be fulfilled. I couldn't stop thinking about it for years because I thought about what you said.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what that means. Well.
Speaker 1: I think she meant that a life of fulfillment is a life of sometimes sacrifice, sometimes frustration.
Speaker 2: And is a happy life a life with no Is that what it means to be happy? I don't think that is what most people think a happy life would be.
Speaker 1: Please expand because I like what you're saying.
Speaker 2: What do you think she meant you chose a happy life? What do you think that she thought you would choose?
Speaker 1: I think happy to her and maybe some other people feels almost hedonistic, like the seeking of self pleasure sort of flippant, like the happy choice is the easy choice versus the long and hard and arduous road that is maybe more fulfilling later.
Speaker 2: I think that that's a very shallow way to look at it, because I think if you said to one of those people, do you think that a person who just sits on the beach always indulges in their most fleeting desires? Do you think that they will be experiencing a happy life? I think they would say no, probably not, that wouldn't be a very good life. Like I don't think that anybody actually thinks that sitting by the beach all the time is a happy life now the way that I frame it for myself and kind of maybe to the same point that she's making, but I just do it in my own way. But we're actually agreeing is happiness doesn't always make us feel happy. Sometimes to live up to our values, we have to do something that's really impla or ask ourselves to do something we don't want to do, or deprive ourselves as something that we want. But that makes our life happier overall, even though it maybe isn't what makes us feel good in the moment. But is that a happy life? But I have to say, here's the thing, as you pointed out, I started out my career in law, and in law you spent an entire semester arguing about the definition of contract. To me, it's a very sterile exercise to argue over definitions, because I just think that's something you can do. The more you scratch, the more you itch.
Speaker 1: That's really funny. She was a lawyer as well. I think this is so fascinating.
Speaker 2: But what I would say is, whatever you want, how do you have more of it? If what you want is fulfillment, excellent today, next week, next month, next year, what can you do to have more fulfillment? If you want to be happy excellent today, next week, next month, next year, what can you do to be happy? We don't have to agree on the term serenity, joy, bliss, contentment, well being, life, satisfaction. Choose your own term.
Speaker 1: Everybody has a different set of values, so does living in your values create happiness? Happiness is different for different people.
Speaker 2: One thousand percent. And I think that you just articulated something that so many people get wrong and don't understand. They think that there's a one size fits all solution, and they think that somebody can just hand you like a one pager with some bullet points. But you have a different set of values.
Speaker 1: I guess that gets us to your point about habits, which I don't know that I've spent enough time looking into, because you said they're the invisible architecture of our days. And I think my creative tendencies and maybe my anti hack culture have had me not focusing on habits enough. What is a habit that you've seen change a person's life in a big way. Is there something that we resist that actually would make us happier?
Speaker 2: Yes, And it's so basic, it's so boring. Everybody knows this. It's getting enough sleep. Everything is easier when you're well rested. But it's very easy to just stay up too late. It's very easy to live a life which makes it hard to fall asleep and stay asleep. May be fighting against your chronotype because really, like forty percent of people are mourning people, about thirty percent of people are true night people, and then other people are kind of in the middle. Something that's largely genetically determined, and it's also a function of age. So if you're really a night person, some night people can really shape their lives to suit that. And I really encourage people if you are a night person, really do try to do what you can to mold your schedule around your natural chronotype. But sometimes you can't, Like sometimes you have a baby that gets up at five am, and you can't just say like, I'm sorry, I'm not really at my best until ten, and so the world kind of can make that hard. But I mean doing what is within our power, certainly, like not binge watching late into the night. People often think like, I'm wide awake, But that's because we've sort of artificially jacked ourselves up on like binge TV or work email, and so we're artificially alert. Whereas if you were, you know, reading a nineteenth century novel in bed, you would have been asleep an hour ago. But everything is easier when you're rested. Everything else that you will ask of yourself is going to be easier if you are well rested. And what research shows is that a lot of people are chronically underslept and they don't even know it. We adjust to it. We don't realize how impaired we are. But when scientists study people, they see that they are quite impaired, and so it's really something we're thinking about it. But on the other hand, don't make yourself bonkers. I think a lot of that you mentioned kind of hat culture. One of the things research is showing is that focusing too much on tracking your sleep, like paying attention to every minute and you know, oh your ram cycle and oh I got to do this and got to do that, that can be counterproductive. So you got to be careful of studying it so much. That you sort of trip over your own feet.
Speaker 1: That makes a lot of sense. I had a friend who struggled with insomnia, and I learned that at the crux of insomnia is thinking about not sleeping. So it is sort of this double edged sword almost. So you have so many titles. You added a new one recently. It's co host of the podcast since you asked, which you're hosting with therapist Lori Gottlieb. I was so excited to learn that you guys went to college together. How special and fun is that? And how did that happen? Like two great minds. Were you guys friends in college?
Speaker 2: Not really, No, we weren't actually friends in college. Then of course later on when we connected again, it was like this bond that we shared. Yeah, so yeah, it's super fun.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: You never know, like how things are going to turn out in the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those connections I think are special. There's nothing that can replace that history, you know.
Speaker 2: I think that is such a good point. Like, as a happiness searcher, I say to people, if at all you would ever consider going to a college reunion or a high school reunion, even if you've never gone, really think about going, because what you find is that you have a special connection with people from that period of your life that really isn't like any other kind of connection. There is an ease to it, There's an intimacy and a trust to it that is really quite surprising. And I go to reunions all the time and sometimes there'll be somebody like, I've never been to one before, and I'm having so much fun I can't believe. I think sometimes people feel like it's going to be really competitive or they're not going to know anyone. It tends to be and this is my experience, and I've talked to a lot of people about reunions. People tend to be very open. You automatically have a lot of things in common. There's a kind of casual ease to it that's really nice. And also I know a lot of people who ended up dating and marrying people that they didn't even know back in the day, but they reconnected with because it's an important bond that can make it easy to get to somebody. Are you a fan of reunions? How do you feel about reunions.
Speaker 1: I'm actually laughing as you're saying this, because I've never been to a reunion. I do have a lot of ties from my grade school, high school, and college days. So I do feel connected, but you're actually changing my mind. I think I'm going to go to the next one now and just see how I feel.
Speaker 2: Well. One of my secrets of adulthood and a secret of happiness is that if you're trying to figure out how to spend your precious time, energy or money, spend it on relationships. And so I do think with a reunion, you're like, oh, oh gosh, I'll have to like buy a plane ticket, and it's going to be all this like scheduling, and maybe you have to figure out babysitting or you have to take a day off work. It always just feels like, oh gosh, it's it going to be worth it? But really, because relationships are at the heart of a happy life, doing something to strengthen and deepen those bonds that really are irreplaceable there from the past. You know, what's that old song, Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other is gold. These are golden relationships. And like you say, you have lots of connections from that time. That's wonderful. But I bet if you went you would find more connections.
Speaker 1: Now you're making me think of the internet when you said spend your time, money, and energy on relationships, because I always say I work in the business of people. Relationships really is at the crux of my business, and so I do spend a lot of time, money, and energy on them. And I've found really fruitful relationships that have started online, but they don't really become special until we meet in person. What does the research say about our happiness and relationships on the internet. How has the internet affected our relationships and happiness?
Speaker 2: Well, that is just a profound question and something that's changing all the time. It's being studied all the time because it's sort of percolating through everything. It's changing work, it's changing family life, you know. And I think, like all tools, it's sort of an amplifier of human nature. Every medicine can become poisoned. So there's good things about the Internet, but then it can also be bad. I think of how I have a group of writers that I meet with every month or so, and we just sort of talk, shop and confide in each other, and we sort of can ask each other questions that we wouldn't ask anybody else, and we wouldn't be able to meet consistently if we didn't do it through a video call because we're too spread out. And so this is facilitating a relationship that's really meaningful to me that wouldn't otherwise be possible. Now, am I super excited when I see these people in person? Yes?
Speaker 3: Do.
Speaker 2: I think it's really important to try to make an effort to show up for them in person one hundred percent. Now have you noticed this that you can talk to somebody on video many times, but then it's almost like you don't even recognize them when you meet them in real life. It's like it's very hard to turn a two D into a three D. And I think for a person to really be in your mind and your memory, if you kind of need the three D because otherwise it's like it's kind of hard to remember the details of their life or like was it this or that? I don't know. I think that we always want to push it into face to face whenever we can. And then you think of things like grandparents who aren't able to see their grandchildren very often, and this can be a really important connection. It doesn't replace, but it can augment.
Speaker 1: Well said, I think that there's maybe you'll know better, But I think oxytocin doesn't go off in our brain if not all five senses are engaged, and so there's maybe something there, because I do think it feels different to be in person if I hug somebody, it's so different.
Speaker 2: It's not a substitute, but it can be an important aid to a question of like, don't let it replace.
Speaker 1: I think there is so much advice out there, some great, some questionable, even some experts I find questionable, and I think that's part of the fun of the industry one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I think the questions are always more interesting than the answers.
Speaker 1: It's my life ethos scratching.
Speaker 2: Yes, I just think very humbly is the person who's answering. I'm like, the question's always the best part. But I think you're right. Part of what's fun about it is that it helps us understand by questioning, well, what would I say? Do I agree? It helps us see our own values more clearly, or if we're talking about it with somebody else, it's like it's a way to like without sort of arguing about our own experience. It allows you to say, like, oh, what would you say or how would you have handled that? Or they got that completely wrong, and then somebody else will be like, oh no, I saw it, you know. So I think it is kind of sleep fascinating because we like to think about, well, what would.
Speaker 1: We say, Well, how do you personally define good advice?
Speaker 2: I love when something brings true. There are times when somebody says something to you and it just brings true and you are like, oh my gosh, that just brings me so much clarity, you know. And often it's a way of thinking about it, or it's framing it in a way that you hadn't thought of, and then all of a sudden you're like, oh my gosh, yes, Like I remember a wonderful advice that I got from my mother was my daughter was really young, and one thing about me is I live right around the corner from my in laws. You didn't even cross the street. They live right around the corner. And this wasn't even advice for my mother, but something she said allowed me to reframe my situation. I've said to my mother, Oh, you know, the thing that is so annoying about having a baby, it's just to go into the pediatrician like constantly. It's like they got to weigh them, they got to get their shots, they got to get checked out. I feel like I'm just going to the pediatrician all day long. And she said, oh, well, I bet your mother in law would do it, right, my Judy, because she's this very hands on grandmother. She said, oh, I'm Judy would do it. And I thought, oh my gosh, I don't want Judy to do it. I want to do it. I get to do it. And just realizing like, oh, I'm complaining about something, but I would never give it up. It completely changed my understanding of my own situation. And you often hear people say like, you don't have to, you get to and it's such a simple shift, but it really can make a very big difference in how you see a circumstance.
Speaker 1: Talk about a happiness reframe. I like that example.
Speaker 2: Oh I love a reframe.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're living in a rampant self improvement age. It's a multi billion dollar industry. I personally love self help. A lot of the books that you see in my background are self help books. The critics of help, or the skeptics often say that there are more self help books than ever, and if all this advice worked, wouldn't there be fewer of them now? So, in an effort to be discerning, who do you think we should definitely not be taking advice from.
Speaker 2: Well, I think anybody who hasn't met people, because that's not how people work. And just as a side note, one thing that's interesting is I think a lot of people have the idea that people who read self help books are sort of the ones that are hanging on by their fingernails and are like really struggling, But actually those people don't read self help books. People who read self help tend to be very high performing people because they understand like how they can improve whatever their aim is for themselves, and they're trying to be happier, healthier, more productive, more creative, whatever they're trying to do. They understand that they can change and they're very interested in learning about it. So, actually, the people who read self help books, but the most part, they've kind of got it together.
Speaker 1: Then, to clip that from my dad, Gretchen, thank you very much, which.
Speaker 2: Is obvious because you're like very successful, right, But I think that the thing is to really try to understand what works for you. I think there really is a misconsumption that if something works for me, it will work for you, or if it works for you, it will work for me, and if it doesn't work for me, there's something wrong with me. I'm not a grown up, I'm lazy. There's something wrong with me. Instead of saying like, there's a lot of ways to achieve our aims, and maybe I'll try something because it worked for you, but it didn't work for me, this is me and meditation. People assume that I love meditation because I study happiness. I have tried it three times, I have been on a silent meditation retreat, I have meditated for months, and I'm just here to say it's not a tool that works for me. I don't dispute that it works extremely well for a lot of people one hundred percent. I'm just saying, at least at this point, it's not a tool that works for me. And that is fine, because I have other tools to achieve the same aims for myself. But I think sometimes people really try to jam themselves into someone else's model, or they insist that everybody should fit in the model that they're advocating. In my observation, that's just not the case.
Speaker 1: What works for you? Are you more of an active meditator? Do you feel meditative when you walk or do yoga.
Speaker 2: Meditation is a discipline of the mind, and sometimes people who meditate kind of wanted to dispute that, but I think that you have to accept you are trying to do something with your mind when you're meditating. Even if you were trying to do nothing with your mind. That's very effortful and I have a lot of focus. So what I try to cultivate is time where I let my mind off the leash, where I just let myself daydream and follow associations like I go to the Metropolitan Museum every day. I'm so fortunate I live within walking distance of the met so I go every single day and I just walk around and people are like, well, that's meditation. I'm like, it's not meditation because I'm not trying to do anything particular with my mind. I'm trying to like just play or just whatever. I just do whatever I feel like, and that is what I need, and so that is the practice that works for me. But what I'm doing is much closer to daydreaming than it is to meditation.
Speaker 1: Thanks for sharing. That distinction, I feel similarly to you. I think for me it's important to play more so because I'm constantly focused.
Speaker 2: Right, And so it's not that it's not a good tool. It just may not be a tool that is useful for the way you and your mind fit together.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: And also in this season maybe that changes.
Speaker 2: That is an excellent point, that there are seasons of life and sometimes we need something or something works for us very well, and that in another season it doesn't. That's a really important point because I think sometimes people feel like it's sort of like now and forever or never. I can always try it again later.
Speaker 1: I want to get your pulse on something I've been thinking a lot about. I get pitched a lot of people who are experts, and I put it in quotation marks because they'll say, like, I'm coming out with a book about how to get over your fear, and I'll say, awesome, what are your credentials? And they'll say, well, you know, I worked ten years in the corporate world and I was fearful every day. And I've really been thinking about lived experience versus expertise because on the Internet there are so many people calling themselves experts and really so much as lived experience, and I don't discount that, but I do find that there's a difference. Laurie's background, Lori Gottlieb, your co host in this podcast, is in psychotherapy and yours is inhabits in the happiness science. Do you have a pet pee when it comes to Internet personalities giving advice and presenting as experts, because I'm gonna be honest, I sort of do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think part of it is to be honest about what your credentials are so that people are judging according to what you say. Like a lot of times people I would say in a medical area will describe themselves as doctors where they aren't medical doctors. And I'm like, if you refer to yourself as a doctor when you're talking about medicine, I think it's fair for people to assume that you're a medical doctor. So I would make it clear that you're not a medical doctor. If you're not a medical doctor. Now, people may not care if you're a medical doctor, but I feel like it's kind of deliberately misleading in that context. So that's an example of where I think credentials really matter. Now I have this framework that I created called the four Tendencies framework, which divides people polders, questioners, obligers, and rebels. And this has a lot of value if you're trying to figure out how to change a habit, or you don't understand like why you're procrastinating, or you have a conflict with somebody, or you're trying to get somebody else to do something, if you don't understand, like why they're not cooperating. And I have a quiz and like three a halfred million people have taken this quiz. It's on my website, Gretchenmuba dot com and people can take it and it's really helpful and it's really predictive, and a lot of times people will say to me, like my whole life now is revealed to me, Or now I understand why I keep having this argument with my husband or everybody on my team, Like we can instantly tell like which we are, and I can say to you, well, if I know you're a questioner, I can say these three things are probably true, and it tends to be very accurate. And I remember I was doing an interview with somebody who's like an academic and he was really pushing me for saying like, well, you're making all these scientific claims, and I'm like to be clear, I am making no scientific claims. I have no laboratory with people eating marshmallows. I have done no sixty thousand person study. I did do like a sample to see like the distribution and the population, but it was just to see the numbers. I sink mine is from my observation. I find that people really find this clarifying. If I explain it to you. You can do the Game of Thrones characters, you can do the characters from the Office, we can do movies. You will be able to spot it in many people in your life and for many people, it's a transformative thing to understand. But it's purely observation. So I think it's like, really understand what is the person's claim for what they're saying, and then judge it according to that claim. I think the problem comes when people are implying, well, I'm a leadership expert, you know. I think then you have to say, okay, well who have you led? Were like, oh, this is how to like, you know, streamline teams. It's like, okay, what teams have you streamlined? Who have you fired? How did that go? Because I agree it's very easy to give advice. One of the things that I do see is that people will give advice and I'm just like, you have never met a person because that is just like not going to work, right, Like that isn't going to work. Or maybe that'll work, but probably it won't work. Probably the person's already tried that, and if that worked, they wouldn't be asking the question. That's one of the reasons that I wrote my book better than before, which is all about habit changed because people kept saying this works. Start small, tiny habits that works. I'm like, it works for some people, but what about all the people for whom it doesn't work, and there's a lot of them. Or make it you do list, get clear on your priorities, start your day with me matters the most of you. I'm like, that works for some people, but some people hated to do list, and if it's on a to do list, they'll refuse to do it. What about those folks? Or get up early, start your day at seven am, you know, And I'm like, but what about the night people? So I think you really have to judge. Who do you think has the credentials and speaks your language too.
Speaker 1: I think that's why your framework actually really helps. I took your test or your quiz.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's your tendency?
Speaker 1: I feel like you could probably guess, But I'm a questioner.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say. I mean, the name of your podcast is a little bit of a tell. But yeah, and probably like, let me guess. Are you told that you ask too many questions? Do you sometimes suffer analysis paralysis where it's hard to move forward because you don't have perfect information? Or do you tend to love research? Maybe you get pulled into the black hole of research and it's hard to escape. Are you the kind of questioner who doesn't like answering questions? This isn't all questions, but a lot of questions are like I don't want to have to explain myself. I did the research, Like, just take it from me. What are you? I'm an upholder? So should I explain? With the four rs? So people, I.
Speaker 1: Would love it if you don't mind. I'm glad that you're not a questioner, so you don't mind sharing.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I love talking about this. Okay. What this looks at is a very narrow aspect of your personality, but it matters a lot. It looks at how you respond to expectations. So we all face two kinds of expectations. Outer expectations that's like a work deadline, Inner expectations your own desire to keep your own New Year's resolution. So depending on whether you meet or resist outer and inner expectations, that's what makes you an upholder, a questioner, an obliger, or a rebel. So upholders are people who readily meet both outer and inner expectations. They meet the work deadline, they keep the new year's resolution without much fuss. They want to know what other people expect from them, but their expectations for themselves are just as important. They tend to love to do lists, scheduling. They're very good at execution. They don't need a lot of supervision. So their motto is, discipline is my freedom. Then I'm an a polder. Then there are questioners like you, and questioners question all expectations. They'll do something if they think it makes sense, so they're making everything an inner expectation. If it meets their inner standard, they will do it no problem. If it fails their innerstandard, they'll refuse. They hate anything arbitrary, unjustified, irrational. They love research, They tend to love to customize. They're always looking for like the best, most efficient, most customized answer. And their motto is all comply if you convince me, why.
Speaker 1: You read me?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, right, it's ringing true. That's great. So then there are obligers. So this is the biggest tendency for both men and women. So you either are an obliger or you have many obligers in your life. Obligers readily meet outer expectations, but they struggle to meet inner expectations. So these are the people who say, why is it that I can always keep my promises to other people, but I can't keep my promises to myself. They sometimes think it's a problem of priority or clarity, or putting themselves first or self esteem. But what it is is that they need outer accountability even to meet an inner expectation. If you want to read more, join a book group. If you want to exercise more, join a class. Work out with a friend who's annoyed if you don't show up. Take your dog for a run who's so disappointed if he doesn't get to go for a run. Raise money for a charity, think of your duty to be a role model for somebody else. There are a million ways to create out of accountability, but you have to realize that as an obliger, you must create out of accountability even for an inner expectation.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you a quick question about the obliger? So to build that inner sense of responsibility, you need a buddy. Is that what I'm hearing?
Speaker 2: You need outer accountability? So buddy is one way, but there's thousands of ways to create outter accountability. Let's come back to that because there's a lot to talk about with the bliger. So there's such a big group, but just to round it out. So if people are thinking like, well what am I? I don't want to leave you hanging. So the motto of the obliger is you can count on me, and I'm counting on you to count on me. And then finally rebels. Rebels resist all expectations out of an inter alike. They want to do what they want to do in their own way, in their own time. They can do anything they want to do, anything they choose to do. But if you ask or tell them to do something, they are very likely to resist and typically They don't tell themselves what to do, like they don't sign up for a ten am spin class on Saturday because they think, I don't know what I'm going to want to do on Saturday, and just the idea that somebody's expecting me to show up is going to bug me. So their motto is you can't make me, and either can I. And that is the smallest group. Rebel is the smallest, A polder my tendency is only slightly bigger. These are kind of the extreme personality types. Obliger is the biggest, in questioners the second largest. So this is useful if you're thinking about like a curriculum or clients or students or whatever. A big percentage of people are going to be abligers or questioners.
Speaker 1: So you always see the opinion that people don't actually change. Is that true or false?
Speaker 2: I think both are true. I think people don't change and people do change. We change more than we think, But then you know there's a lot of parts of us that don't change. So I think we do change. We're always making our souls. But there is also they get what you get and you don't get upset aspect of it too.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. Maybe it has to do with your values. You are who you are, but you can change your tendencies.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah, you can change your behavior, and when you change your behavior, you can change what your life looks like.
Speaker 1: When people call in to your show, what seems to be the relationships they have the most trouble with family? Romantic or friendship?
Speaker 2: Family?
Speaker 1: Have you noticed any trends in the types of questions that you've gotten over the years. Do you think what people are asking advice about is revealing something about our culture?
Speaker 2: I think that the issues related to work from home are something that just didn't exist, you know before. It feels like it's been going on a long time, but just in terms of sort of like our experience, it's very new, and so there's a lot of issues related to that that are kind of unprecedented.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have thought about that. That's a good point. If someone could only follow one piece of advice that you give for the rest of their life, one that you think would have the biggest impact, what would it.
Speaker 2: Be Accept yourself and expect more from yourself. So this goes back to your earlier question, like do we change It's like, on the one hand, you want to show compassion for yourself, Accept yourself, don't try to live up to some fantasy self. We are who we are to send a group, but then also expect more from yourself. Push yourself, get out of your comfort zone. Grow, so both are true. Accept ourselves and also expect more from ourselves.
Speaker 1: Speaking of expecting more, this is actually perfect for my next question. There's a saying that I really love that self esteem comes from doing esteemable acts and felt so simple and so profound the first time I heard it. The idea that our confidence is built one small action at a time is something that resonates for me. What is an estimable act that gives you, Gretchen a big boost?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, the research backs that up, so that's a very sound piece of wisdom. I really do try to connect people. I try to, you know, make useful introductions to people, whether it's giving people business, whether it's setting people up, whether it's thinking people could tuck shop together productively. I have started many groups. I organize things like reunions. I try to help bring people together.
Speaker 1: That's so cool that your octopus of relationships is your gift.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I don't know that it's a gift because I know people who do it so much better than I do it. But it's something that I really work on, and it kind of comes hard to me because I'm always just like, oh gosh, I don't want to send another email, or like, how do you spell that person's last name again? Or you know, now I have to like describe what each of them in a sentence. So I don't think I do it effortlessly. I have a friend who just connects people effortlessly, but he's like, why does everybody know Kim Scott? Like everybody does. It's like a magic. But I work at it. So in that way, it's something that I esteem because I put the effort into it, because I really value it, even though i'd sort of rather not, so I think that makes it feel more estimable in my mind than things that maybe would come even more naturally.
Speaker 1: Thanks for your honesty, I like that. I want to get your advice on people's questions. So the first one is.
Speaker 4: So I'm getting married soon, but I've been struggling with how some of the people that I feel like I've poured a lot of love into for some of their milestones either have or haven't really shown up for mine. I want to meet people where they are, but when it comes to big life moments like a wedding, it's kind of painful when the people you've supported don't really show up for you in the same way. So I guess my question is what's a healthy mindset for that? And then how do we balance acceptance and expectations and relationships.
Speaker 2: This is such a good question, and that last line is so wise because it's acceptance and expectation, because really the problem is that there's this expectation that the people will respond in a way that they're not and just a few observations. Is earlier, we were talking about season of life, and one of the things in many people's experiences of weddings is there's a wedding season. And when you are in a season of life where you have like a lot of time and energy free, you might have shown up for a friend in a really big way, but then by the time they're getting married, maybe your life have gotten pulled into a really demanding job, or maybe you have a baby, or you just have a lot more demands on your time. And it's not that you don't have the same level of love, and maybe you wish you could do these things, but you're just not in a place where you can do it. And I think understanding that sometimes people's gestures match their feelings. And then also one thing that I experience is some people love making big gestures. They love buying gifts, they love planning celebrations, they love writing a toast, like they love to do that. And if you love to do that, that's an important way for you to express yourself. But it may be that the people that you love don't share that, Like it's not the way that they want to express themselves, and it isn't a reflection of their feeling. It's just more of a reflection of like, are they like this with everyone? You know what I mean? It's like, well, they didn't write me a rhyming toast at my wedding, but I noticed they didn't write a rhyming toast anybody else either. Like I have a friend who loves to give gifts and she would exchange gifts all the time, but I'm like, I don't like exchanging gifts. I don't know what to buy, I don't like running errands. I feel like I have so much stuff. Do they even need it or want it, Like to me, it's something she loves, but it's not something that's meaningful to me. But is she a better friend to my mind? No? To her mind, maybe so, because it's a really important gesture for her, But like in our friendship, we've sort of stopped exchanging gifts because I know she would like to do it, but it's not something that I am going to cooperate with. And so it may be that your expectations are just too high. There is a sense of reciprocity that people often have. It's interesting, I see this just minor tangent. My next book is going to be about the empty nest as a worst reckoning of adulthood. And you see this sometimes with parents. They will do really extravagant, thoughtful gestures for a child, like I'm going to write a long, thoughtful letter twice a week, or I'm going to like send these like really elaborate care packages. And they think, oh, I'll do that, and then my child will like flood me with attention and love and appreciation for this grand gesture. But a lot of times their kids are like thanks, like they don't really care. And so if you're going to do that. It's like, do it for yourself because that's how you love to show your feelings, but try to manage your expectations because people don't always respond at the same level.
Speaker 1: There's also this element of something left unsaid. I had a friendship expert on the podcast a few years ago. I asked her for advice because I said, my bandwidth is solow and I don't feel like I'm being the friend I want to be in my friendship are so important to me. And she said I would just send a video message or a text message to your friend and say, I am aware that I'm not showing up the way that I want to right now, and I just want you to know it's not a reflection I love you so much, and just say the thing.
Speaker 2: That's a great suggestion, Just come right out and say, but see, here's the problem though this person wants to receive. That's great advice for you. And maybe if she got that, she would be comforted because she would be like, oh, it's not personal. It's like, oh my gosh, my friend has a new baby who's really cranky, and like she just you know, can barely take a shower, let alone plan a bachelorette party for me. But it's hard when you are wanting that, you feel like, well, I've taken time, I've gone to all these links for you, and so now I'm feeling very left out and neglected.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's worth a conversation or is it too hard to bring up?
Speaker 2: I think it's worth a conversation, but I think that's a very hard conversation to have. You know, a lot of themes are the hard conversation. If you can use humor, that is very next level, but it can make it easier to say and hear difficult things and try to do it face to face. But if you're like, hey, what is up, Like you know, three years ago at this time, like we were in Nashville, have an amazing time, Like where's my plan? Like whatever it would be, so that you can broach it in a way that someone can hear that without becoming defensive, and then maybe say like whatever it is. It's really good to talk about things, but it's really hard. It's really hard to say to somebody, my feelings are really hurt because I did so much for you when it was your turn, and now you're just not paying attention to me, that's a hard thing to say.
Speaker 1: Okay, the next question is.
Speaker 5: Something I'm struggling with right now, even though I know it sounds a little silly. How do you find closure after losing a job? I gave years of loyalty and effort, built what I thought were real relationships, and then it just ended. No explanationations, no goodbye, no chance to say my piece. How do you let go of the anger and resentment when there's no closure?
Speaker 2: Oh, that is really hard.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: We were talking about reframing earlier. So one thing that you might do is just sit down for yourself and say, like, what did I gain from this experience? What was it for me? What was the value of it for me? Because that might give you a sense of closure within yourself, like, Oh, I really learned how to speak in front of a group, I really learned a ton about this industry. I got experience managing a team. What is it so that you feel like, well, there is closure for me, even if I didn't get closure with the other people. And also if you feel like the relationships are real, reach out to the other people. It's extremely valuable to have relationships with people as we go through life, and so the fact that you're not working with people anymore, maybe they're not going to be like your best friends and you're going to be going out or having them over to your house once a month. But maybe there was something silly that you all shared, Like there was some television show you would always talk about. You're like, oh, my gosh, you know, let's have a finale party and get together and catch up and we'll all watch this, you know, something to keep those relationships alive, or you know, the occasional coffee or like, oh this made me think of you text. So it's not like you walked out the door and everything just vanished, but that you do have this sense of ongoing relationship and having gained in skills and experience from it. It is really hard when you want from the organization something that it is not giving you that you feel like is owed. So it's how do you create the sense of closure within yourself.
Speaker 1: I think you touched on something that I hear a lot of my peers talk about millennials in particular feel I think when they work at large corporations that they gave so much and when it ends, did anyone even care? So there's like a reckoning happening with corporate culture. I think gen Z probably has felt that too.
Speaker 2: You see a lot of research that this sense of like dedicating yourself to an organation is not nearly as intense as it was in the past for exactly that reason. But you know, another thing that can be a useful exercise can be imagine your future self. Let's say like a year or three years in the future, and write yourself a letter about like, why is it that it was really good that this played out the way that it did. I had a boss one time where no matter what happened, no matter how bad something was that happened, he would say, wait a minute, this works for us, and he was able to spin a tail that by the end we were like, this is amazing. This really works for us. You can say, like, why in the end, am I maybe better off? What is the future that I can imagine for myself where really like this works for me? And that can be another way to try to put it into a context that feels more positive. But I don't want to be pollyannish because you might be like, hey, you know, actually it was really bad. I lost my health insurance but it is something that can be a very helpful way to refrain.
Speaker 1: I don't find it Pollyanna because it happened, so like you have to make the best of the situation.
Speaker 6: That's a good point next step.
Speaker 7: I get so paralyzed when it comes to the big life shaping choices, like whether to leave a relationship that's mostly good but missing something essential, or whether to take a new job that excites me but terrifies me financially. The little decisions I can make quickly, but the big ones feel like they carry the weight of my whole future. How do you know when to leap, when to wait, and how to live with the fact that you'll never know what the other path might have been?
Speaker 2: Yes, sliding doors. Well, one thing I will say, a big sort of initial thing is often people imagine that if they made the perfect decision, they would feel no regret. So if I just think about enough, if I ruminate about this enough, if I taken enough factors, I will make the perfect decision and I will feel one hundred percent that I made the right choice. But the fact is a lot of times in life it is an app lin an orange, and you will feel regret because whatever you do. If you move to Baltimore, you can't move to California, And if you become a lawyer, you're not going to become a doctor, and you may feel regret for that, but that doesn't mean that it's not the right choice. And so I think accepting that there is no regret free decision sometimes releases people from just like this constant loop because they're trying to avoid any regret. I mean, I remember somebody who was saying, like I was pregnant, I found out I was having a boy, and I felt really bad because I felt really disappointed, like, of course I'm really happy to be having a boy, but feel disappointed. And her doctor said, well, of course you're disappointed because before you knew you could have a boy and a girl, but now you know that you're having one, and that means that you're not having the other. And so it's not a reflection on the decision. It's just the fact that one sliding door precludes the other sliding door. So don't think that you're going to get out of thinking about the road not taken. But here are two things that I often will invoke when I'm trying to make a really tough decision, and the first is to choose the bigger life, because no one knows what the bigger life is for you except you. Because should you get a dog, there are many good reasons to get a dog. There are many good reasons not to get a dog. What for you is the bigger life? Should you stay in the big city with all of its excitements and opportunities, or should you move to your hometown where you have family and friend and a network around you who can say what is the bigger life for you? And so I think this is a really helpful question because a lot of times when people say that they have a perfectly balanced pros and cons. If you say, well, which is the bigger life, they instantly know what the bigger life is. It sort of gets you out of that pros and cons framework. So that's a really helpful question. Another kind of way to think about it is to step into the future. A lot of times you're thinking, well, should I do this or should I do that? And you're like, well, which one would allow me to step into the future. Because one of the things that's hard is change. We're very captured by inertia. It's hard to change the future. And uncertainty can be very intimidating, and so when you think to yourself, like, well, what would allow me to step into the future. A lot of times that kind of again puts a different spotlight on what you're doing. So you're like, well, should I keep working in my job really hard and like really trying to get a promotion and make it work. Or should I go back to school and get a different degree, we'll step into the future. I don't know which of those courses would be stepping into the future, right, I could see it argument for both of them, but you might really have an idea. Oh really, the future is staying with this company and getting the promotion, or the future is getting the degree. These are just helpful for some reason. They allow people to evaluate their decisions differently.
Speaker 1: My whole ethos is if you want better answers, ask better questions.
Speaker 2: Well that's so questioner. I love it.
Speaker 1: But I love those two questions because we're constantly seeking, but we don't know the questions to ask ourselves. I love those questions. Thank you for sharing those. Okay. The next one is I.
Speaker 3: Keep telling myself compromise is part of being in a long term relationship. But sometimes it feels like I'm betraying who I am. How do you tell the difference between healthy compromise and slowly disappearing inside your own life?
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: That is a really good question. And it's interesting because on the since Us podcast that we were talking about, we had a question where it was a young married couple and the wife wanted her parents from out of town to stay in their apartment with them the guest room, and the husband was like, wow, you know, it kind of crowds my space to have them if they stay like more than a few days, and I really want them to stay in a hotel. I mean, just for myself personally, I'm in exactly that situation. And I just said to my husband, like, I really don't want to compromise on this. This is super important to me. This goes right to my values. So I'm really asking you to defer to my wishes here because this is really important. And so we didn't compromise. And so I think sometimes your value you do have to say like, this is really my value and talk about it now. Sometimes there is a clash of values where it's like okay, and then you have to figure out, well, how do you negotiate a class of values. But when you feel like you're disappearing into your own life, that starts to sound like accommodation. That is happening without an open discussion of what values are in play or what someone really cares about. And I think you owe it to other people to say this really matters to me. I think what happens a lot of times is that people expect others to read their minds and to think, well, of course they know that it's a huge pain for me to host Thanksgiving, and so of course, like, don't they get that this is like a huge annoyance for me, and like other people should take a turn, and it's not fair to ask me to do it, right, They're thinking that. But if you say cheerfully, oh I'm happy to do it, then others are not going to rush to your side and say, oh, it's not fair. They're gonna be like, oh, she likes to do it, she's good at it, Like let her do it again, you know. And so I think sometimes it's surprisingly hard to enunciate our values for ourselves and then to articulate them to other people, and then to give them a chance to like have a conversation about it, because sometimes people will disagree and then you have to decide, like how do we find our way through this.
Speaker 1: I like your distinction between values and maybe virtues or preferences, because maybe the person who's value it's rubbing up against gets that one. But if it's a clash of values, You're right, that's confusing.
Speaker 2: That's a really good point. It's sunny because with things like those, people will often tell like, well, I'm sure your parents would be much more comfortable in a hotel, and I'm like, look, my dad slept on a blow up mattress in our living room, so like this is our choice because that's about like, oh, well this would be more comfortable, and I'm like, no, this is a core.
Speaker 1: Value, right, there's different family dynamics.
Speaker 2: It's a different family dynamic, and not to say that this is the right choice for everyone, but like this is just someplace where I put my hand in the air and said, this is really important to me. And so it's hard. I mean, you know, two people, You've got to deal with all kinds of things, like how tidy do we keep our house? Some people are neat freaks and they can't relax if things aren't tidy, and everybody else is like, if you want to run around and tidy everything up, like be my guest. But I don't think that it's necessary to live that way. It's like, Okay, we got to figure that out. That's a very common clash, but it's part of a relationship.
Speaker 1: Okay. The next one is write up your alley, Gretchen. When you know exactly what you need to do to be happier, healthier, for example, go to bed earlier, stop doom scrolling, but you actively choose not to do it. What is the first mental strategy you can use to stop self sabotaging and simply start doing the thing.
Speaker 2: Find out your tendency, because the first thing I would say is what is your tendency? And you're probably going to say, I'm an obliger and I'm really trying to rely on inner accountability to get myself to stop that. And I would say, and that is why you were not succeeding. Now you have to have a form of outer accountability. There's a lot of ways to get out of accountability for all those things. But maybe you're a rebel, and if you're a rebel. Then I would say, well, you got to go about it a completely different way. You got to do it in a rubble way. Or if you're a question or sometimes questioners have issues with things like this, I'm like, you got to lean into your question or self. So I would say with something like that, I always think, first look at it from a tendency perspective, because that is probably going to point the way forward to you so that you can.
Speaker 1: Change that behave well said. Everybody has to take your quiz.
Speaker 2: Yes, Gretchen Reuben dot com slash quiz Gretchen.
Speaker 1: I wish you great health and great happiness. I'm so grateful for your time today. This was so fun.
Speaker 2: This is so fun. Thank you for all these amazing questions. I would expect nothing less from such a questioner. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week.