Speaker 1: Okay, guys, here are my dates for the High and Mighty Tour. In August you can find me in Red Bank, New Jersey, Montclair, New Jersey, and Calgary that's Canada. And September I will be in Santa Barbara, San Diego, New York City, Philly, and New Haven, Connecticut. October is Atlanta, Baltimore, Saginaw, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Boise, Idaho and Spokane. And then in November I'll be in San Francisco. I'm coming to Salt Lake City, Austin, Houston, Dallas Babies, I'll be there. And then in December I am closing out my tour in Denver and Vancouver. So get your tickets at Chelseahandler dot com for the High and Mighty Tour. Hi Catherine, Hi Chelsea.
Speaker 2: Are you on a boat?
Speaker 1: Where am I? I'm on the Amalfi Coast.
Speaker 3: Hell, Yes, I am off shore on the month.
Speaker 1: I've decided to work in oil? Where you are? I'm on an oiler. You're an oil rigger, yes, I'm an oil I felt like I had to get down to my roots, and that is oil rigging. You know how popular that's been.
Speaker 4: Down to your roots in and down into the sea.
Speaker 1: Yes, I just am happy that I'm not in America right now, and I'm enjoying my free time while I have it. I have the month of July off before I get back on tour. Everybody, I'll be back in August. And in the meantime, I am drinking and swimming and acting like the way God intended me to behave.
Speaker 4: And meanwhile, like the powers that be over here are dropping like flies.
Speaker 1: So I know, I can't believe. Though, When are they gonna admit that Mitch McConnell's dead? I mean, this is absolutely ridiculous.
Speaker 4: I know that photo that they posted is like clearly AI because the newspaper he was holding like the picture is wrong.
Speaker 2: I saw a thing about it online.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, But if the Democrats can't get it together to get them to prove that Mitch McConnell is dead before that special election kicks in, then they deserve that, you know what I mean, like, get it together, and you cannot. This is weekend at Bernie's. I mean, I honestly was laughing when I heard this. I'm like, this is seriously happening in our country.
Speaker 4: And you heard the thing about his assistant called to cancel his like country club reservation, and they're like, why do you need to cancel She's like, my boss is dead. That was like two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, no, I didn't hear that. That's even better.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is good.
Speaker 1: They're gonna make movies about this. It's so stupid. I mean, they're gonna make movies about a lot of this.
Speaker 3: It's fully Wagged the Dog totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a good movie. It's Wag the Dog beats Weekend at Bernie's. But Wag the Dog is good for anyone. If you're listening and you haven't seen that movie, it's worth seeing that movie.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Oh and also we should mention, since we recorded this episode, poor Bonnie Tyler has passed away, which is a subject of conversation.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, Bonnie Tyler died. Yes, this comes up in this conversation. They were gonna go on a cruise with Bonnie Tyler. Well you'll hear it. Listen to the episode.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, we had a really good time talking to them.
Speaker 1: You know, our guests from their blockbuster comedy specials Now at Douglas and then Something Special and their new special Woof is on YouTube now, so please welcome Hannah Gatsby. Hi, Hannah Gadsby, Hi, welcome to America.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you so much having me.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I love you. I love you.
Speaker 2: I thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: I think you're such a breath of fresh air.
Speaker 2: You should spend more time with me. I change.
Speaker 3: It's easy to love from Afar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like to keep the distance.
Speaker 1: Well, you are keeping the distance because you live in fucking Tasmania, which.
Speaker 2: Is oh no, no, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: Oh you're from Tasmania.
Speaker 2: You mean, but I'm on the mainland these days.
Speaker 1: How did you get over to the mainland?
Speaker 2: Oh? Ships, ahoy, we've got a faery.
Speaker 1: I've been to Tasmania.
Speaker 2: Now tell me about that.
Speaker 1: I was doing, you know, some dates in Australia. So I thought my cousin and I thought, oh, we should go somewhere we've never been. And somebody said you should go to Tasmania.
Speaker 2: And he said that to you.
Speaker 1: In Australia, this guy, Johnny, his name is Johnny Cox. Actually I'd like to yeah, exactly, I'd like to shout him out. And he said, but before you go, you have to read Robert Hughes's book the Fatal Shore.
Speaker 2: That's intense homework.
Speaker 1: This is a book that is about eight hundred pages.
Speaker 2: Have you read it, Hannah, Yes, yes I did. Yeah. When I was studying out history, I didn't read at all, flick through.
Speaker 1: Well I did.
Speaker 3: I read all of it, and.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you. I love books. I love books. I read your book. I loved your book. I read that book and I was in Tasmania and it was such a disturbing book because it talks about the colonization which started in Tasmania for all of Australia and.
Speaker 2: All the people that they would are going to pull you up.
Speaker 1: Maybe I didn't entertain that, let's have a chat this okay.
Speaker 2: So Tasmania was the second penal colony, its great word after Sydney. Because they landed in Sydney set up the jail situation. They thought, it's quite nice here. This is hardly punishment, and then like, let's find somewhere terrible. And that's when they said, well Tasmania, Like it's so it was the second one. And then what were you going to say about Tasmania. I take a while to warm up.
Speaker 1: It's no problem, afilin Tasmania was the more severe penal quality where they took the really bad guys and where they had And funnily enough, when you go to Sydney, like if you go on a boat ride in Sydney and you're coming back in, you're like, can you imagine bringing a bunch of prisoners and criminals here? Like and then why you're like, this is paradise, Like why would you be against that? So but obviously it wasn't paradise because the book The Brutality a Fatal Shore is that book gave me for four days in a row in Tasmania reading about the whipping and the lashing, and they would hang these guys by the post and then the guys were eating people. They would trying to escape and they're in the rest here.
Speaker 2: That's that's Alexander Piace you're talking about there. So when they've gone, oh, Tasmania is terrible, and then I'm like, well it's coming together. Let's find another island. So they found another island on the east coast, the furthest away you can get from Hobart, which is the only town in town. And Alexander Peace and a bunch of his buddies on this island broke out and then like, we've got to make our way to Hobat and it is and it is still really dense wilderness, Like there are parts of the eastern coast of Tasmania that no one's been no west west coast that's where I'm from, that no one's really been through, you know. So it's dense and ancient forest, right. And they made their way to Hobut eventually, but only Alexander Piace arrived because he had it. He just eighties other escapeees on away, like one by one, and and then they said, well you should go back to this island. And then he escaped again and some people went with him, and at that time he just they got to the beach of the mainland of Tasmania and he just ate them there. He's like, I don't need to walk this far. I just like eating people now.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, yeah, that's what I happened.
Speaker 2: I'm told we were elated. Whenever we're get in trouble, you're at Alexander Pears.
Speaker 1: That's good, that's a good recall for his name.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Another thing, though, is in Sydney and in Tasmania, all the streets or lots of the streets are named after these prison wardens. So you're walking down the street all the names from the book, I'm like, why does this sound familiar? And then I'm like, oh, this was named after one of the prison wardens. Did you ever notice that?
Speaker 2: Of course, of course, we're very proud of our terrible history. I'm a direct descendant of a lady off the first fleet. It wasn't quite the first fleet, it was the second fleet. I think they talked about it, and that's all the the floating brothel because they realized everyone was dying, and then they thought, you know, we should just send a lot of women down there. And so it was just a ship full of women. And my descendants stole a Bible classic and that was the only ship that arrived with more people on it than left because they just had babies on the way. They had a birthing tent on the deck because usually when you'd stop in all the ports on the way, if there were women on the ship, they'd be rowed to other ships to have a bit of a plow and and.
Speaker 3: No, just want to put that out there, but kind of funny and.
Speaker 1: That there's just the language.
Speaker 2: Sorry, And then so but there's a lady on board who took all these young women under her wing and established the floating brothel. And it was just like, no, these guys can come here and I'll protect all these women. So and then they had a berthing tent on board, and I think they had three or four berths because it took takes so long to get there. My descendant. They landed in Sydney and everyone's like women. And then they so they sent her off to Norfolk Island, which is just off the way off the east coast of Australia, and that they colonized that because they thought Norfolk pines are great for building boats and they're not. So then they're just stuck there on this wild island. There. They lived in threes. Polygamy was established there and every household got two women and a pig, and so it's pretty wild. And then she went to Tasmania. I don't come from good stock.
Speaker 3: Wow, two women and a pig.
Speaker 2: Yeah. She eventually got, you know, after she served a sentence. She got a huge plot of land outside Sandy Bay in Sandy Bay in Hobart, which is the posh suburb like you know, but she sold it for a barrel of rum obviously. Mm hmmm, yeah, so that's yeah, the Fatal Show is Yeah, I quite I quite like that's an uplifting book for me. It's full of hope.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just thinking, like, two women in a pig is better than being on your own with the pig and a guy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: A pig sounds great if a man is not there, like.
Speaker 1: But even if a man is there, I would want another woman and if I absolutely you know what I mean, better than to be alone with the pig and the man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not many of those marriages lasted.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on your marriage. How long have you been married now?
Speaker 2: Thank you? Hello? Five years? Five years?
Speaker 1: What words of wisdom? What kernels of wisdom have you picked up from being married for five years?
Speaker 2: Look, I think five years is not long enough to just like let me do you know, like that's I haven't even out to the seven year itch.
Speaker 1: Let me let me rephrasee it. Then, let me rephrase it. How has marriage impacted the way that you see yourself as an individual on this earth?
Speaker 2: Oh? Well, cohabitating that someone has made me understand just how badly I operate through life. So it's having a constant witness. That's both alarming and comforting, you know, just you know, being seen by someone all the time. I quite enjoy it because I have the capacity to disappear. Yeah, I've really enjoyed it. Nice. And that's not very funny.
Speaker 1: No, and you don't have to be funny. I mean it's a serious question.
Speaker 2: Well, I've made a rod for my back, haven't I.
Speaker 1: I watched your new special. It's called Wolf. Everybody listening. It's now out on YouTube. It's Hannah Gatsby's newest special and it's very non traditional. I liked it. I liked the opening particularly. I want to bring that up because I have a big history. We're probably of the same age. I have a history of Cabbage Patch children in my life and I as soon as you started talking about that, it brought me back to the time where parents were going to Toys r Us at six o'clock in the morning, standing in line for Toys r Us to open to get the right cabbage Patch kid for their daughter, which was me, and they never got the right one. I got two premies before I got a real one, and one of them had to say, yeah, they had got me.
Speaker 3: Like the Rudders, the runts of the litter the rudders.
Speaker 1: Exactly, so I got two of them. Then I got a fake cabinet because my dad was like, fuck this shit, I'm not standing in line at Toys r us at six o'clock in the morning, and I was like why not. I'm like everyone, I need to bring a cabbage patch to school to be legitimate, Like I have to legitimize myself. Did you have a cabbage patch?
Speaker 2: There was nothing a cabbage patch doll could do to legitimize me, Like I think you have to be edging toward legitimacy. But no, I got a I think called an ice cream doll, like it was a fake one. You know, when cabbage patch dolls took off, other people like, well, let's people prefer ice cream. You think the ice cream doll would have taken off before a cabbage patch doll, you know, like cabbage right ice cream? Correct. I didn't like dolls, so I wasn't and they were not. They were ugly. They were objectively ugly, and they always used to confuse me why everyone was excited about them. And then but you trace it. It keeps happening like la boo boos, and every generation has this and like I think the trick is dolls of frightening.
Speaker 5: But there is actually an answer to your question because you're talking the special about like where did all the cabbage patch dolls go? And there was I think I think it was a my strange addiction that they covered this on. But there is this couple in like Ohio and they have like fifteen thousand cabbage patch dolls and they have names for all of them, and they have parties with their friends, and they have like a special building that's you know, heat temperature regulated.
Speaker 1: It's very imagine they have friends. I think there's a list that there's a litter that's a kind.
Speaker 2: Of obsession that truly include a lot.
Speaker 1: What did you play with when you were growing up if you didn't like cabbage patch kids?
Speaker 2: I liked to play with my with my animals. I had a dog. I just smucked about. Really we lived. We were sort of quite feral. There's a lot of swimming. I played golf.
Speaker 1: Do you still play gold?
Speaker 2: I picked it up again. I used to play. I was a state champion. Wow, the state was Tasmania. So we can just back off the impressiveness there, excuse you? And so that that was what I did on weekends. I would play. It was a little country golf club, so basically girls just hanging out with the elderly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean I know you you suffer from social anxiety and that you've talked about panic attacks and such. Was that happening when you were a kid too?
Speaker 2: No, because I was just hanging out with old people. Take the stress right off. Tea and biscuits. They don't care. They're just happy someone's talking to them. I just walked the walk the straight. I knew who had who had bad mobility and biscuits they can get away from me.
Speaker 1: So tell us when did that stuff? Like when did you start identifying that something or that you felt some way about your like disposition or that you had panic attacks or that you had anxiety, Like at what age did that become relevant to you or that you had a name for it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Not. While I was a child, you didn't have a name for it. I just got tired. I'm sort of avoidant, and I get burnt out and tired, So I just become a potato as as opposed to a jittery bug. But as I've gotten older and like, I just can't impress upon people enough. Just how isolated my childhood was. Like it's Tasmania. As you know, Chelsea is very isolated. It's like it's a hop, skip and a jump to get there, and it is. But in the eighties it was even more isolated. You know, there just wasn't we had two or three channels on television. Leaving the state was prohibitively expensive, you know, and it's incredibly inbred. It's like it's a bit like Iceland actually, you know. Yeah, Iceland and Tasmania get studied a lot because of the purity of our genetic pool. Wow. They say purity, but I say it's you.
Speaker 1: Know, you don't meet a lot of Icelandic people that have left Iceland, you know what I mean. They're not about in the world, Like you don't run into people from Iceland. And you're the first person I've met, well, the first person that I know of that's from Tasmania.
Speaker 2: There's a couple of people like I can't remember who they are, so we probably shouldn't talk about.
Speaker 1: You also can't have that kind of competition.
Speaker 2: No, Although I'm not a very competitive person, I'd rather not a very big part of being Australian is understanding the power of being second best.
Speaker 1: Well, right now, right now, you're doing a lot better than we are, so I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I know. I think that's a lot to do with our attitude because you guys are so hopeful, you're always striving, and sometimes being still is better. I think it's really interesting. I think we're an interesting experiment because of you know, we're both settled, we're both American Australia both exist because Britain couldn't get this shit together and they still can't get their shit together, but they don't think about that. Britain should never be responsible for drawing maps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, You raise a very good point.
Speaker 2: Like they've just shown time and time again that every time they draw up a new border, bad stuff happens for centuries. But also, but you guys were settled because you're, like, you know, hopeful and thought that Britain wasn't pure enough, and we were settled because you know, they needed somewhere to send the dregs. So we understood who we are from the beginning. Your country is built on this, like we're better than that, and we're just like we're not even good enough. For that dirty Island.
Speaker 1: Dirty do you know? When I went to Tasmania for that first like three months before the trip. Once we booked the trip, I was convinced I was going to Africa because of towns.
Speaker 2: In here, oh mad the amount of times, the amount of times people think I'm from Africa.
Speaker 1: Well, if the shoe fits.
Speaker 2: It doesn't. Yeah, I was doing it. I had one of those lovely general meetings back in the day. This is when I was too naive to have meetings in Hollywood. My success is really funny because it's just I just got launched into a place that really only very ambitious people belong and it was so you know, i'd given up. I was too old, not too old, but like I was forty, and you just get enough information to go, well, I'm never going to be a superstar. I'll just hang out here and do my thing. And then all of a sudden I was in a place where I really needed to have different muscles anyway. So I was taking these meetings and not making the most of them. But that funny ultimately, and I think it was Warner Brothers and they were all, you know, you know, when there's a feeding frenzy on, you know, and they're all very excited this is past. And they made me a cup of tea. They were very keen to make me tea, or they asked me if I wanted tea, and so I said yes because it's tea. Then at the forgetting I was in America, no offense, and they're like, oh no, Like they offered me take didn't know how to make it and made like the hottest water in a paper cup and I couldn't hold it. And it's like, thank you for the tea. And I'm like, I'm gonna have to drink this because they're like, is it good. I'm like, it's too hot. And then they went around the table telling us each who they were and why I should be interested, and of course they bought in the whole department of reality television. And you know that who's the guy with the cowboy hat? He was there, the one who's ruined the world.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, the guy that did The Apprentice. Yeah, yeah, I don't know his name, but I know who you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, giddy up. He was there and someone else in his team was talking and they're like, oh, we've done the Bachelor. The Bachelor you've seen The Bachelor. The Bachelor's amazing. It's very big in Australia. I'm not sure about Tanzania, and I'm like, I was, you know, I'm like, I was gonna say, I think he means Tasmania. But then the tea burst through and then there was no more. There's no more meeting. So I really nailed that one.
Speaker 1: When was the last time you were here? Probably when I saw it with you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you saw me. Yeah, that was a hell of a party, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: It was? It was. That's a good party, actually really, I mean I had a good time.
Speaker 2: It feels like any party with comedians is like a wedding with only brides.
Speaker 1: I like a daytime event. I like a daytime party, and I like to meet. I like to get that fucking shit over with, like and not so for that, I like it, and I like when all the comedians because the truth of the matter is, you don't get to see a lot of comedians in real life unless you're working out at comedy clubs. You know, when you're touring and stuff, you see your people and you don't really get to mingle with them. So I do like that aspect. Of that party, and I love that it's in the daytime, and I love that. Yes, I like that party. That's a party that I will go to. You obviously feel what differently.
Speaker 2: I just don't like parties. Yeah, right, And then what concerned me about that party was the moment when speeches started happening. But I don't no one knew where the speeches were. And so you just hear this voice over the cast over the garden going Excuseberry, Hello, and everyone's just sort of looking around. I'm like, you're trying to run a live comedy festival. You need to know where to put a stage, and I have people understand where to look when you're talking. So I was worried about the logistics.
Speaker 1: So I heard what you said earlier about America, and I like what you say. I think I agree with you. We think we're better than everybody. What are your other impressions of America, Like your first impressions when you came over here for the first time.
Speaker 2: I mean, Americans are very friendly and I enjoy that. Sometimes your voices can pitch a bit loud, but that's the accent. The way that you speak. You really your tongue gets out of the way and there's a lot of noise comes out. I've learned the American accent, but I will not speak because it is too loud coming from within. I started easily, so the only way I can speak American is with if I do like a Batman, So I can speak American, but I won't go louder than that. I like Americans. I married one. Yeah. I think it's always an interesting thing when you have an idea of a culture and then when you have to mingle, it breaks apart, like the idea of a national identity always breaks apart because individuals ruin everything. This is true.
Speaker 1: This is true. How did you and your How did you and your wife meet?
Speaker 2: Jenny was my producer of Nannette when I took it to New York, so she was looking after me. This was before it went on to Netflix, and she was so good at her job, like she knew what I wanted before I wanted it. She's like, oh, do you want a cup of tea? And I'm like, no, oh, oh, actually I think I do. You know. That kept happening. So when I was gearing up to do my first world tour and we were spoken, she was at a loose end and we I brought her on to sort of help me tour. We had a strong working relationship before I wore her down.
Speaker 1: And how did you make your move?
Speaker 2: I didn't. We apparently we looked back on it, and apparently, you know, we we were dating for a year before we understood that we were dating. We just did everything you go that was romantic. Didn't clock that. And Jenny was being very professional. She's very professional, very good job. And I was just hyper aware of the you know, Weinstein factor, which was my employee. So you know, we how long was it, Ginny? Nine months?
Speaker 1: We're nine months you were and you were working together for nine months before you became a couple. Yeah, and we know you're not good at a party. We know you don't like parties. We know you don't want to.
Speaker 2: Oh, Chelsea, I have to tell you something. I'm doing a gay cruise in August through the Mediterranean. Three thousand people. I accepted because it's through the Mediterranean and sailing through the path of totality for the Total Eclipse, and the headline act was going to be Bonnie Tyler, but she's now in an induced coma and not going so now I'm just on a boat, and I thought, you know who might know how to handle that is Chelsea Handler. Have you done a cruise?
Speaker 1: You know what, Hannah? Even I know not to do a fucking cruise.
Speaker 2: Fucking hell? What have I done?
Speaker 3: I mean, I really think you should get out of that.
Speaker 2: Really something I do a lot. I'm like, I don't like these things. I don't like these things, and then for some reason sometimes I just inexplicably move toward a thing. I do that?
Speaker 1: Should I do that too?
Speaker 2: So? Yeah, so that's what this is. So I guess I'm anyway. So you've not done a cruise.
Speaker 1: I haven't. I have an aversion to cruises, and that what's your version?
Speaker 2: It's probably the same as so.
Speaker 1: Many people, the amount of people stuck on one pile of essential basically garbage, because that's what you're doing.
Speaker 3: You're floating on garbage.
Speaker 1: And it's too many people, and it's you run. I don't want I don't want to be trapped. It's everything that you already think, is what I'm saying out loud.
Speaker 2: What have I done?
Speaker 1: How long? How long is the cruise?
Speaker 2: I did it for Bonnie? Nine nine nights? Nine?
Speaker 3: Okay, I thought we're going to say nine months.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what, Yes, I'm doing a reverse convict.
Speaker 1: I was like, how long is the sun totality?
Speaker 2: I thought that was like a night.
Speaker 1: Okay, so nine days in the Mediterranean. I mean you should just bring your journal and keep track of everything. I'm assuming Jenny's going with.
Speaker 2: You, Yes, Jenny. I think we'll have a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Is there going to be gambling on the cruise?
Speaker 2: Yes, they all have a casino. I think it's a gamble to go on from.
Speaker 1: That is funny. That is funny that you signed up for Bonnie Tyler and now she's in a coma. I mean, I mean, how glorious.
Speaker 2: Would that be, Little Bonnie Tyler, little Welsh witch, just belting out total eclips of the heart doing an eclipse on a boat.
Speaker 1: Well maybe she'll come too in the Timeez not, when do you set sail.
Speaker 2: In August? It's done. I'm stuck on a boat without that.
Speaker 3: They're going to have to get some musical act.
Speaker 2: And everyone's going to be so excited. And I can't rain on their parade. They've saved up for it. This is their yea as much as it's my nightmare, and then I have to do two hours of comedy during the Moroccan themed night party, and but back to back, and I'm just like, oh, yeah, I'm sure I'll be funny.
Speaker 1: Like an early show and a lad show.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean take pictures, is all I have to say.
Speaker 3: And take some videos as well.
Speaker 2: Okay what I might do, And this is what I tend to do because I don't live on the surface of reality. I like to you know, the constant posting of what you're doing now is not not anything I've ever been able. It seems to be too soon, right, So I'll keep a daily diary and then post it later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fine, that's better. It's better that way anyway. I like when I see people post about their trips after they've had some thought put into it, rather than it means. I agree with that. So you're way ahead of the game in that department.
Speaker 2: Only they're just like so they're sending all the things, and they're just like, as long as you cover up your balls, your penis, and your vagina at breakfast, anything goes.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh, that was that in writing?
Speaker 2: It was in writing?
Speaker 1: Wow, I would use that as a that would be a big red flag.
Speaker 2: Well, they send it after you sign the contract, so.
Speaker 4: Right, it's like a nine day party, which it is going to be a party.
Speaker 1: But I do do you drink or do you.
Speaker 2: I probably will?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need to.
Speaker 3: You don't strike me as someone who drinks or does drugs.
Speaker 2: Oh, come on, I do. I'm a dark horse.
Speaker 1: When Your Special Neat came out, it was humongous. It had a huge cultural impact and huge reaction from people. I want to know how that impacted you and what you thought about.
Speaker 2: That it was massive. I don't think I kind of appreciated because you're in the middle of it and it's quite intense, and it was just such a I think what I struggled the most with as it's you know, I've moved away from it, is that it like, it was such a personal show, and up until the moment it went on Netflix, it was mine, and you know, the story was who I was telling in the room. And I'm a live performer. I've not done much screen. I've done a little bit, but not with my work, you know, so my audience was built on people I'd spoken to who were sharing the same room as me, and this was my first adventure into not that you know, so by understanding of who my audience really disintegrated. And then when you start to write new shows and stuff, you're like, who are you talking to anymore? And I've always struggled with that, like who do you know who your audience is? Chelsea? And does that like do you sometimes go, well, I'm changing a little bit as a human. How do you bring your audience along with that without sort of alienating them? Because people really do like your old stuff better than your new stuff, and like it's always this constant conversation and because you don't, I don't, you know, I'm at a loss, like I feel at Sea. I think the biggest feeling for me at the moment is I quite afraid because I'm not a benign figure now, so anytime I speak up about something, it's a you know, it can be a problem. I'm a lightning rod, like it or not. And and you know, it's not like me too worked. You know, who would have thought hashtag was not actually equal to actual structures of power. And so we're in the middle of this disastrous and angry backlash. And I you know, as soon as I poked my head up I'm a target and so that that feels quite frightening. So on the one hand, I've trauma bonded on a grand scale, so I could start a cult. But on the other hand, it's like, you know, there are angry people at people are angry at me. Still.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, first of a, if you're going to start a cult, you're going to have to go back to Tasmania to do it, because that's the proper place for that, the proper backdrop. But what about the opposite part of that, all the love and adulation you got, didn't you notice that as well? I totally hear what you're saying, and I think people are really hateful and bigoted and everything. Yeah, everything we're experiencing in the United States specifically and on a global level, but specific to me because that's my experience. Our experience is everything feels like a like the overturning of Roe v Wades feels like a repercussion of me too, and feels like a repercussion of times up, like men are like, oh, you think you're gonna tell on us?
Speaker 2: And then no. I think what we're discovering is there's a reactivity where culture is saying we would rather not feel bad, and we would rather not feel bad about this and continue to do this like it's just like, oh, we've just discovered they have no shame mm hm. And that's you know, that's what you have to do the other side of it, you know. I mean, when you've got sort of complex trauma going on, hearing positive affectation is incredibly difficult. My team drip feeds me praise, you know, we've got a nice message from a fan, you know, because sometimes I can't take it on and then I resent the fan for writing. I'm like, why are you talking to me? But over time I've and because the heats disappeared a little bit, you know, and I'm left with my fans, and I have a really lovely fan base. So I'm learning how to exist in that. It's nice, you know, and I do like my fans, and that's where that's where our work is now. You know, I sort of hit that crossroad where it's just like you need to have wide public you know, I guess success and then you can have a career, Whereas now you so that if you can find your audience, you can have a career. And so I have an audience and that feels really privileged. You know. I feel like younger comics are really struggling to find, you know, because industries in such flux. The world we know has changed, so it's not like we can give actual advice to new comics because the landscape is so different in the way they're finding their audience is so different. So it just feels like a really unstable landscape. But I feel very grateful for my fans.
Speaker 3: And you want awards.
Speaker 1: I mean, you want a Peabody Award. You won the Emmy, didn't you for your so you must have that must have felt good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I felt frightened for about the Emmy because I did beat out Beyonce and speaking of dedicated fan bases, so my first first words were sorry. But that's probably the Australian part of me. It was so big for me. What other people understood it to be and what I understood it to be has taken a long time to sort of synthesize. But I feel like I'm there now. But it's it's over, is there?
Speaker 1: Is that one of the reasons what what you're describing why you didn't want to film this standup special in a more in the traditional way.
Speaker 2: Well, when I mean, as soon as I started doing that tool Wolf, it was clear I was in a bad way, Like I was in a very bad mental health situation. And you know, you could just see other people who you know, in the middle of a working phase and under stress and not in good mental health, they say and do things that are very destructive, not necessary, and and I'm like, you know, because you can't when you're you know, sitting on an anxiety that a tour means you can't tamp that down. You du like, right, I'm on tour now, I'm constantly traveling, I'm putting out work, I'm self promoting, I'm in the public eye. You don't get to tamp that down. So if you're starting up here, I'm like, this is a dangerous space to be. And in a volatile time, you know, like it's things were really heating up, particularly for my people, because you know, that was the time when you know, the scapegoating of trans and queer people really you know, started to drop. And you know, because people forget because the Internet makes it feel like we have a voice, but we don't actually have protections. But the voice bit upset people. So we became the scapegoat, so you know it's fear. I was afraid, and also you know it's a physiological thing for me. I don't like change, and tour is nothing but change. So I understood that, and I'm like, I don't want because I do overthink it a bit because of the nature of the natte. I understand that my fan base hang on to my work because, like I said, I've trauma bonded, like it means stuff to people that it's that has nothing to do with me, But I am the figurehead of that, and I take that really seriously, like I don't want to abuse that, you know, because you know when I did Nanetta, it was like I didn't I didn't give a trigger warning, you know, like it was a the angry as people of course were men and particularly male comedians, and then it filters down from there. But there was also I knew that risk and I was happy to take that. But the other risk, which was always an unknown for me, is like it's people have experienced similar trauma. This could either be cathartic or really damaging. Like I took a little of care in the show writing a show that it was something that could hold as a piece of work, like I wasn't you know, this wasn't you know me sort of trauma bombing, like I'd work this out, like I thought about this, this was you know, you know, I channeled a funneled a rage instead of just sprayed a rage.
Speaker 1: Yes, well said, that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: But having said that, it's like all my decisions, I'm like, I feel a duty of care to that audience not to muck about, and I was up here with this anxiety, so and you know, I look back on this decision, I'm going, that's a decision only an anxious mind would make. But I really and I think it worked out in a way. I'm just like, how did I channel this instability and direct that to Netflix in my career because it's a victimless crime, you know, like if I make these odd decisions, and like, you know everyone and this stage, Netflix was like everything's funny, and so I ran in an experiment like are you funny? Though? Like can you be the joke? And I think I've told too many hostile jokes about Netflix to really truly be welcome on the platform. But it's a two way street, Like I don't Netflix fucking sucks, like they made transphobia profitable and they formed very deliberately a feeding frenzy on a tiny, tiny minority, and we have no recourse, you know. And I remember at this party that we went to in Netflix and this you know, Ted stood up once everyone worked out where to look, and he's like, we have made the world less to busif because we've opened up free speech. You know, I mean, speech just needs to be free because it's important and it's powerful and it can you know, make people feel things, and you know, when you're adjuit people, then you can maneuver for people. You know, it's flooding the zone. And they paid no care, absolutely no care. And because I am that person, you know, whenever it's like if you can't say you know, the you know, the transphobic debate within comedy, I was the figurehead and they pulled me into that, you know, Ted put me up as that, like we have Dave Chappelle and we have Hannah Gatsby, but I don't get paid nearly enough for that, right, you know, like I don't have those protections. I don't, you know, like and it was just a very vile time. So I channeled that and I only went to the Netflix as a joke thing, so that you know, I used it as they paid for my airline tickets and my top surgery and I haven't spoken about my top surgery publicly, but it's just like, you know what, that's a good use of their money. And it just, you know, it feels so hostile because for a lot of those guys, it's just sport. They're just like what can I say? Who can I upset? How close to the edge can I skate? I'm like, good on you, But there are people who are trying to live there and are actually you know, we're losing our rights, you know, and it's people hostile and I think Netflix was really cavalier with that. And it's not like I expect anything to change. People hate us now. It's been established, like people are sick of us talking, and the tide is too angry and activated about you know, everything else. There's no point trying to change that now, Like it's too big and too angry, and we are a scapegoat and people are distressed, and it's a moment in history where people like you know, people are scared of losing equality of life that they currently exist in and that's across the whole spectrum, from billionaires to people living in abject poverty. But it's not the responsibility of people who are on the struggle bus to sort of rain in their terror. It's the people who have genuine privilege that have a responsibility and they're not taking it.
Speaker 1: So did you decide not to go back to Netflix for this?
Speaker 2: Is that? It was that A, I don't think we're speaking. Oh, I think I don't think I'm on the radar anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like, I mean, so you're on the radar for sure because you were at the party.
Speaker 2: I mean no, I don't think I'm on Like, I'm sure I'm on the radiar, but I'm not like I don't think did.
Speaker 1: You go to them and try to sell them the special they're special?
Speaker 2: No, that's what this point the point of it was like it's like I deliberately made something they because they had the first ride of refusal, and so I made something they Yeah, it doesn't exist. It's just an animation and an audio only and I knew, like I wasn't like I'm going to stick it to them, Like I know it's a losing battle. But when you're like I was in dist so I thought, this is these are victimist crimes, Like it doesn't matter. I can't do anything to Netflix, They're too big, it's over, it's done whatever. But a little fight felt good in that sort of distress.
Speaker 1: I was feeling, Yeah, you must feel a big I mean, the way you're talking about it makes me really kind of understand, have a better understanding of the responsibility that you must feel and or the own and the onus that you must feel for like being a figurehead and what that means to people, because I hear what you're saying, and yeah, it's pretty it's pretty hard to watch men get away with such bad comedy and picking on the people that need the like need the allies the most, like picking on that. It's like, if you're such a good comedian, why aren't you going over there and thinking of something more clever and picking on the higher levels of like fruit that are that are so easy to grab.
Speaker 2: Well, it doesn't do good for your career. Like that's what I did. I went for the high fruit, and you know they don't love it. You know, it's it's a complex time to be alive. Though this isn't personal it's everybody is distressed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how do you handle your stress?
Speaker 1: Now? What do you do?
Speaker 2: I've clocked off. I don't listen to the news. I don't I'm not on social media. I am early onset quaint. I'm going on a cruise, but I don't think that'll help me connect.
Speaker 1: Now that cruise is going to set you back.
Speaker 2: I think I'm running experiment of like, what is it like to be a human not involved in social media?
Speaker 1: I'm sure it's fruitful. It's much more fruitful than.
Speaker 2: Being Yeah, but it's also interesting because you I'm losing you're losing touch. So as a comedian, it's like, you know, what do you talk about? Then? How do you connect to people? But it is very calm. I highly recommend it.
Speaker 1: How long have you been off social media?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: About four years? Four or five years?
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's too dangerous for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I hear you. I hear you. I think it's probably dangerous for most people. But people are so addicted that they can't.
Speaker 2: It's really this is you know, I'm not an economist, and I don't understand you know, broad economic principles, but it's a logical extension of capitalism. You know, it's like making money now is culture. So you know, for a long time it's culture happened elsewhere, but now making money is our culture. It's not cultural capital, it's just capital capital. And that's what social media is. It's you know, turning art into data points. And now everyone's trying to create all the time, all the time. If you don't say something, you don't exist. If you don't put yourself on the screen, don't exist. And you know, people are talking about it over here, and then it's constantly moving and I I, as an organism, cannot cope, you know. But I grew up in such isolation. And I see people my age losing their minds because they're on social media too much. They melted.
Speaker 1: My sisters and I were on a girl's weekend. We went to Sedona, Arizona, and my sister Simone was saying, we were talking about the state of affairs in our country, and she was like, we have no culture left. America has no culture, and that's the capital.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's like the price you pay for capitalism, which sounds in theory like a great idea, but put to practice, ends up being something completely opposite. Of what the intention is and then the average that comes with the capitalism, and then this whole experience with technology and what's happened. It's like there's no soul, Like the soul of our country is gone and has diminished so greatly that I don't know, like I do you feel like the soul is gone in Australia?
Speaker 3: Do you feel the same way.
Speaker 2: It's gonna happen? You know, there's a slide beginning, but we're a bit delayed. It's not as bad here, but it's just there's no escaping it. I don't think, you know, because the we're going to continue having more and more natural disasters and no infrastructure to help people, you know, recover from these things. You know, natural to the existence of being human is ebb and flow. And the way we've built things is like we always strive and building, building, and we've just created a pile of fucking jenger and we just got to watch it. You know, were you? But you?
Speaker 1: I mean, at least your country was smart enough to prohibit social media for sixteen year olds and.
Speaker 2: Under all, Australian kids are going to reach eighteen like their homeschooled you know, it's going to have these like you know, like what does that mean for and they're on social media? Well, no, it's not like it's been successful.
Speaker 1: It hasn't.
Speaker 2: No, their kids know how to get around it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but parents aren't parents held responsible if their kids are on social media. There, I know they did that. There they didn't do.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's one step. That's a major step that needed to be taken.
Speaker 2: It is. Yeah, I mean, I think the regulation of social media and Silicon Valley, like, I mean, I started to think, what's going to happen once the circle jerk that is Silicon Valley collapses? You know, like it's going to imploded. It's something, you know, it's just a it's wild. It's a wild time to be alive. It is so many unstable men with huge swarts of power, and it's just like that's we know this doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me ask you a question. If it's in order to avoid this cruise that you're performing on, you had to go on a boat with Jeff Bezos and Lauren Sanchez, that's option one. I'm gonna give you a selection. Okay. One option is Jeff Bezos and Lauren Sanchez. You have to go away with just the two of them on the boat and have every meal with them for a week, for a week, for the nine days. Sorry, you're going for nine days, So nine days you can either go with them. You can go with Elon Musk and whoever he's dating, or you can go with Mark Zuckerberg and his wife for the nine days.
Speaker 3: You have to choose one of those couples.
Speaker 2: Okay, well not Elon Musk.
Speaker 1: Sorry I threw that one. I'm sure they are the same way about the same thing, so.
Speaker 2: They're a trifecta. I think I could cope with all of them because I would make them jump overboard. I could, you know, if it's just them, I could work them. I would win on one on one with any of those guys like I can't. I will outrage. I know how to annoy people like that. I've met Jeff. I annoyed him.
Speaker 1: Did you When did you meet him?
Speaker 2: I went to his silly little camp, oh Amazon for Amazon? Yeah? Yeah, how was that? It was weird? It was a cult. And I told him, why don't they stop trying to start a cult? You're not charming enough.
Speaker 1: Ah, I know he really isn't he did?
Speaker 2: He did all the things. They invite people, but they don't tell them why, and sometimes they invite you back, and sometimes they don't. It's what I want. And he was trying, you know, He's like, oh, let's get all this culture here. I'm like, what the culture you're actively trying to destroy? Cool story, buddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I once went to one of those think tanks weekends for Google years ago, and I just remember I met some interesting people that I'm still in touch with, but overall it felt like you were, yeah, a part of a group that wasn't going to age. Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think tank's are funny concept.
Speaker 1: It is a funny concept. As soon as if once you all get together, you're going to come up with all these great ideas and solutions.
Speaker 2: Because we know committees work will Yeah, aren't you happy you don't have a child? You know, Klinder, But who's going to look after me when I'm old? You know? The genis why you have children? No, that is not why you have children. Look part of me, Yes, absolutely, because it's just so much to think about. And then as like, as soon as you have a child, you've got to start booking them in for their education. It's so much, you know, so much decision making. And then but I think, you know, the idea of children remained sensible because it's like it keeps you connected. I think I'm going to recede. I'm I'm just full witch. I'm great guarding Greg grey Garden.
Speaker 1: Why don't you go out and about at all? I mean, you're not going to receive by just because you're off of social media. I don't buy that.
Speaker 2: No, I'm actively trying to go out and about. I really became a lock in. I got the anxiety was bad, and then I became a habit. I didn't recover from the pandemic. I just wasn't leaving the house. So I've started taking myself on little jaunts and just rebuilding my confidence because you know, when the net happened, like I couldn't go out. It was really a lot, you know, and I wasn't used to being perceived. You know. I was someone who could go out and observe and that's how I lived, you know, skulking. So it sort of like took me a long time. Now. I took myself to the football as I went to a major sporting event the other day, being in a crowd was kind of exciting a lot of men. I think it's important to keep an eye on the patriarchy. So I'm following Australian rules football and Formula one.
Speaker 1: I saw that you were into Formula one and I was wondering what that was about. I've been to a Formula one race. I went last summer in.
Speaker 2: Nahtich One, Miami, or I was in Europe.
Speaker 1: I was in Europe. Oh, I must have been in Barcelona. Outside of Barcelona. Yeh yes, yes, yeah classic.
Speaker 2: How did you go? Too noisy? Right? Too much?
Speaker 3: I loved it. The catering was incredible.
Speaker 2: I mean, what did you have? What's now everything?
Speaker 1: They had beautiful catering stations upstairs in that VIP section and you could get a steak, and then you could get pasta and then you could get I mean they had everything you could imagine. And it wasn't like just nice food at a VIP event. It was next level, like it was beautiful food, beautiful drinks. I mean I barely watched the racing, you know, I wasn't really there for that.
Speaker 2: Did you do the grid walk?
Speaker 1: I did? I did do the grid walk?
Speaker 2: Did you get that really insanely awkward interview was his name?
Speaker 1: Yes, I did.
Speaker 2: Obsessed with him. He have you ever watched that happen outside of the one you participated in?
Speaker 1: I have watched it. I don't know that I saw that interview. I've seen one, but not that interview.
Speaker 2: He's just walking through. Nobody wants to talk to him, and he's just him and the cameraman and they don't know how to follow each other, and he has the most awkward conversation. I live for it.
Speaker 1: The whole thing was quite awkward actually, because, yeah, they put you down with all the other like VIPs or celebrities that are there, and I'm not in a Formula one, so I don't even want to be like, I don't even want to be seen there because I don't want to have to answer questions about Formula one? Do you know what I mean? I'm just gonna sound like a fucking asshole. So I was like, please, I don't want to be interviewed. And then they wrangle you and they ask you questions and you're just trying to be as banal as possible in your answers and responses. But yeah, it was quite a It was an interesting watching those guys get into those cars. That was where they're like, they're holding these hoses to them to keep them cool with air conditioning because they're so so they're blowing this freezing cool well free on I think, onto them or not free on, but whatever it's called coolant there. They're blowing it onto them as they get in these suits and their cars. And these guys are dripping before they even take off, and that's before the car.
Speaker 3: The door is closed. So I was more like shocked by the.
Speaker 2: Door is closed.
Speaker 1: There's no door, right, whatever that is, it's a tough thing.
Speaker 3: They just.
Speaker 2: Put a little like oh yeah yeah, like a heavy scoff. That was my.
Speaker 1: Takeaway that there was a door. So obviously I was playing very close to touch it. But I was more I was more concerned about their temperatures. I couldn't get my mind off of how hot they must be.
Speaker 5: Because of all the fire retardant they're wearing or what.
Speaker 1: I think. It's a pretty high. Also, it's just a hot sport, like they're sitting there running motors and reving engines and so it's really hot in that room where you go.
Speaker 2: No, famously, not a lot of trees on a Formula one track.
Speaker 1: Well, Hannah Gadsby, this has been a very big pleasure. I really enjoy you. I am glad that you have Jenny in your life.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, we're glad.
Speaker 1: And I'm glad that you're doing well. And your new special is fantastic. It's called Wolf.
Speaker 3: Everybody can watch it on YouTube.
Speaker 2: It's also a full album like it, certainly the twenty minutes on YouTube, and then there's like the eighty minute show on audio only.
Speaker 1: I like, yeah, And so it's like a book on tape, but fun much funnier, much funnier than any funny book on tape, that's right.
Speaker 2: I like tape tape, funny book tape.
Speaker 1: Doors. You know, we're bringing all the stuff back tape, doors, driveways, heat, whatever. Okay, well, well Hannah, we'll let you go. Thank you so much for your time today.
Speaker 2: We're doing questions, food.
Speaker 1: We ended up talking. We ended up talking for a full hour. This was a full hour, so we don't have to take questions. I'm so looking forward to I knew you weren't looking forward to that, so I kind of was like, let's just keep talking. You I had answers, all right, I love it. Thank you so much for being with us.
Speaker 2: It's been lovely. I one day will hang out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well when I come to Australia, I'll hit you up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I have a plus fun on the cruise if you want.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me think about that, let me sleep on that and get back to you.
Speaker 2: Well, best wishes. You're doing a mouthless job. I also enjoy you. I enjoy how you've evolved. It's not not as in you had to evolve, but in like as a human, we evolve and it's hard to do that in the public eye when people want to pin you where they understand you and I think you you've navigated quite a graceful career.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so nice of you. Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: I can do it.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can lo poo. That's Spanish for you can do it.
Speaker 3: Well, that's Spash for I can do it.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, Chelsea. Chelsea, I can't speak English or Spanish anymore.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to say to that.
Speaker 1: Adios.
Speaker 2: Oh of course, goodbye.
Speaker 1: Bye, Hannah.
Speaker 6: If you want advice from Chelsea, right into Dear Chelsea podcast at gmail dot com. Dear Chelsea is a production of iHeartMedia. Follow Chelsea on all socials at Chelsea Handler and find Catherine on TikTok at flash Cadabra. Dear Chelsea is edited and engineered by Brandon Dickert executive producer Catherine Law. Find full video episodes and minisodes now on Netflix, and get tickets to see Chelsea live at chelseahanmler dot com