Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Dave Hoffman would certainly say that's those solution. He's the CEO of the indoor trampoline park Skyzone, hundreds of locations around the US, and they are growing. I'm building more. He joins us from Dallas. Dave, good to have you on the program. You've got a great background includes Duncan McDonald's and Moore. You have a history and franchise business as well. For those who haven't been to a sky Zone, describe the experience and who it's for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look, we are the leader inactive and social play, and like you said, we've got actually nearly three hundred locations we're focused on and I don't know if people know this, but we're focused on kids six to fourteen in a particular park. If you can kind of imagine this, just think they're forty thousand square foot boxes, so quite large. We'll have twenty to twenty five attractions in that indoor park. And like you said, Tim One, we're known for tramp We've got everything in there now, from dodgeball courts which are amazing, ninja courses, multi story megaslides, basketball and soccer courts, zip lines, you name it. We've got a lot going on in there. And really our thesis here or what we're trying to do is is we're all about active and social play and we feel both of those are important social in today's environment, especially in a post COVID world and everything that's going on with technology. We want to be the place where kids can come build confidence, burn off energy with their friends, and so everything we're doing is about the power of play.
Speaker 3: Well, Dave, I can imagine that this must be one of the biggest seasons for you all, being that it's summer vacation season for all the students, all the kids. What's it been like for you all as of late.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you know, as an operator for thirty plus years, as you mentioned upfront, I think you're always looking for at tension in the marketplace and how you can solve that tension for the consumer. And so look, nothing new, Just would you guys continue to report on here. The tension for our offering would be, you know, the consumer's wallet is under pressure. Yes, some prices have come down, but the family wallet is certainly under pressure, and so how do you make it easier for the families to use you and give the you know, their son or daughter child this summer that they deserved. And so that's the tension that we've been trying to solve. We think we came up with something that works for us, and it's going to be an ongoing strategy for us. But this summer we call it the you know Summer of Sky Zone. It's anchored by our seasonal Pass. And and when I talk about the seasonal Pass, it's you know, that's one type of price point that we have and to your previous guests, we want to be the leaders and affordability and accessibility. And again that's if you if you draw that line in the sand, which we have, then there's other things that you can go down. But this this summer Pass essentially it started in April, but you can still buy it now. And if just think, if you buy it now, you pay one month, you get a second month free until the end into the end of August. And so we think that's very compelling for the family wallet. It's selling about eighty percent over last year, So I think that speaks to the tension again that's in the marketplace. And then the offer and how will this offer has been received, but it's not the only thing that we try to do there. We've got our obviously, our monthly memberships if you're jumping two times or more and just think that's a dollar a day, which we think is a great investment in your child for a dollar a day. The annual past, and then we pulse in things like this weekend. I'm really excited. We're doing a clever, cute little play on our two hundred and fiftieth birthday and it's red, white and Bounce. We've got a price point dedicated to seventeen seventy six, so it's seventeen dollars and seventy six cents, which for a two hour jump ticket, a one time jump ticket, that's probably one of the best price points in the industry. And we're giving away a bunch of choch keys and food and things like that at the same time. And you know, as you move through July, we've always got these things where if you don't want to be a member and you just want to come one time. World Jump Days coming up July twentieth. You knew Jump Day just like National Donut Day back in the day, but World Jump Day is something we're going to do and takeover of and so we're always on our calendar. We're always trying to pulse in things, so people will try us. I think when they try us, they like us, they love us, and they come back.
Speaker 1: You were you know a thing or two about donuts because you were president of Duncan US from twenty sixteen to twenty eighteen, and you've spent You were also CEO at Duncan from twenty eighteen until it was sold to Inspire, so you know about donut day. Let's get back to Trampoline's though, and about I want to talk franchising. Here close to three hundred locations in more than forty states in the US. Are are any of those owned and operated by skyz own or are they all franchise owned?
Speaker 2: No, we're fifty percent company owned, fifty percent franchise. I tend to move towards tipping that mix more into franchise. I've run both in my McDonald's and Duncan days, as you know. But I am a believer in the franchise system and working with small business owners. And look, I'm really proud. This year we were named one of the top ten investments by franchise time. So something you know is really resonating with our small business owners, and I think they do an amazing job on a company this size get into those communities and serving those communities really well.
Speaker 1: So who are your who's the typical franchise franchise e? My dad was a franchise e of a different company, So I know how this works. You know, you have the support of a huge brand, you own an operator yourself. Then let's say five ten percent of the top line ends up going back to the parent company. So just give me the profile of who the franchise e is, where the opportunities are geographically, and this seems it seems like something that is capital intensive in terms of the size of building and the actual equipment that you need. So how do you support franchisees with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot in their tim great question. You know, we've got a lot of single park franchisees in some of the smaller cities, so this isn't about opening up and I'm very sensitive to not building on top of franchisees. So if you run an amazing single park in your community, I want that I want that franchisee to be just as successful as somebody that has eight to ten. I think our largest franchise e is probably somewhere in the fifteen to twenty range right now. So it's a wide spectrum. And you know, look at these are people that have been in multi unit four wall in the past, and they identified this opportunity in terms of sort of the uniqueness of trampoline parks, and a big part of it is their belief and this is in total sincerity, their belief in active and social play, and so they really were running other businesses and they like this offering. The margins are incredible, so of course high fixed costs, as you said, Tim, so you have a high fixed cost build, but are you know our margin profile profiles out for a wall in the high thirties, low forty percent range. So again initial big investment because we take down some of these decayed, bankrupt big boxes. They're all snowflakes. You have to convert them into a sky zone. So it's a little bit like Tetris where you're going in and laying out these different attractions. You never know what you're gonna find behind the walls. So there's a lot it's not as cookie cunter as what I've done in the past, and so our teams, our development teams and franchises do an amazing job of taking these decayed bones in some of these communities and repurposing them. And you know, we could go through the list of some of these bankrupt big boxes, but I love what we're doing. And this is a story that never really quite gets out there, but how we're repurposing and I think improving the face of some of these decayed bones that are in these community and making them approachable again and accessible for those those particular communities.
Speaker 3: Well, Dave, we talked a bit about the deals that you all are offering at sky Zone. I'm curious as we continue to talk about franchise ease, what have you been hearing from different people leading some specific locations across the nation. What has been their sentiment about consumer traffic and the brand Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and you know this will Nora, Like anytime you get into live entertainment, there's always going to be you're always going to be fighting on a frequency game. And so for us, not only has everyone embraced the price point and this idea that you know, affordability and accessibility, and again, if you put that as a strategic pillar and that's been one of my pillars for my thirty plus years. Then you start opening up your creativity to say, okay, how do I think differently about just a binary you're a member or you've got a jump ticket, and how do you open it up and give people optionality? And so that is one of the things. We've got a group within our franchise community. I love it. It's our Franchise Advisory Committee and we work closely with them on the pricing construct and how we ought to be thinking about this, the marketing deals, how we pulls that in. But the other piece that is really super important is programming. And so you can have great attractions, you can have great price points, but the kids and the parents went programming. And so our glob parties on Friday and Saturday night have been fan favorites. They're running all summer long fan favorites. For the older kids. We're running Sky Cup in parallel to World Cup right now. So we've got great three on three soccer matches inside viewing parties. All kinds of soccer football takeover within the parks as well. Birthday Like a Boss is a new, upgraded birthday experience that we've introduced. So besides just compelling price points, great variety, you have got in order to get frequency, you've got to have really good programming to get the kids excited about coming back over and over again. And so that's been a big push for us as well, is to make the programming more different. And then I think if I could just one last thing is you know, one of the things that I focused on in my again over my career is kind of operating with the healthy paranoia around your brand and so how do you keep evolving? And I've always loved the saying, hey, if you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less. And so how do you keep evolving your offering? And so we've introduced sky Labs in our company, it's our innovation arm. It's a dedicated team with franchises on how do we evolve the power of play in our parks. And some of this is you don't want to get away from your knitting, which is you know, active play, but how do you bring wearables other types of gamification in there that complements you know, active play. And so that's a big part of you're going to see us continue to peel things off. We're working with PhDs in childhood Development on all of this, and so again I'm really I think all of that is how we're going to continue to evolve this offering for our guests going forward.
Speaker 1: All right, next time, join us Dave from maybe the ballpit at one of the sky Zones.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we'll do.
Speaker 1: All right, Dave Hoffman, have a great long weekend. Appreciate you taking the time and joining us on Bloomberg Business Week Daily. He's the CEO of sky Zone, joining us from Dallas, formerly of Duncan McDonald's and more.