Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy centralow.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about wildfires aka the coronavirus of the forest. As you probably know, the West Coast has been devastated by massive fires burning for weeks, and over the weekend, California saw one of its biggest blazes yet.
Speaker 3: Those deadly new fires raging out of control in northern California among the dozens now burning across the state, and they exploded in size on Monday, those fires destroying homes, damaging popular wineries.
Speaker 1: Before sunrise, entire neighborhoods were engulfed in flames, devouring an untold number of homes.
Speaker 4: It was just, you know, a big red qualifire right next to us.
Speaker 1: In the world famous Napa Valley. More than sixty wineries are in the burn zone. An unknown number have already been damaged or destroyed.
Speaker 5: It covered cars with ash and turned the sky's above Punoma County red as this smoke block the sun. So far this year, California has seen more than eight thousand wildfires, destroying more than seven thousand buildings, scorching nearly fifty eight hundred square miles. That's the size of almost three million football fields.
Speaker 6: God damn that is terrible.
Speaker 2: So many beautiful wineries are being threatened by these wildfires. And remember, there are a lot of people who rely on these wineries. You've got the owners, you've got the employees, you've got the economy of entire towns.
Speaker 6: And you know who.
Speaker 2: I feel really bad for America's book clubs because without wine, they're gonna have to discuss books soba, and I mean, that's just English class. Here's my question, though, how come wildfires never burn the shit that we want them to? Huh? Just once I want to turn on the news and hear about a wildfire burning down a pedophile's house, you know, taking out a neo Nazi recruitment center, then passing by a marshmallow factory and roasting everything.
Speaker 6: Inside to a nice golden brown.
Speaker 2: And another reason I hope that these wineries get out of this thing. Okay, it's not just because of how awful it would be for the region, but because it would mean that we would all left to start getting our wine from New Jersey. Hmm, I detect hints of Adidas track suit and Gubba goole. But yes, With yet another wildfire breaking out in California, a record setting year, continues to get even worse for the West Coast, and the question many people are asking is why why have wildfires gotten so out of control? Well, let's find out why. In another installment of If you don't know, now you know? So why have wildfires been so bad in recent years?
Speaker 6: Well, if you immediately.
Speaker 2: Said the climate change, then okay, you're mostly right.
Speaker 4: It's a disastrous new normal. Catastrophic fires once contained one season, now a hair wa year round battle. We're going to go a major factor climate change. In the last forty years, fault temperatures in California have increased about two degrees, where precipitation has dropped about thirty percent.
Speaker 7: Longer dry seasons, and extreme events like heat waves that synchronize the risk of fire across enormous landscapes.
Speaker 8: Climate change is increasing the area burned by the average wildfire, more than doubling it since the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 1: Since nineteen thirty, five of the biggest fires so far out of the top ten, have.
Speaker 9: Been this year.
Speaker 10: California is America fast forward.
Speaker 9: In other words, of postcards from the future.
Speaker 6: Oh man, are you serious?
Speaker 2: California is basically a postcard from the future that means the future is also on fire, and it also means that the post office is still functioning in the future.
Speaker 6: So I guess whooa, we did it, and that really is mind blowing.
Speaker 2: Five of the biggest fires have been this year's sane, although this is twenty twenty, so I'm kind of shocked that all of the biggest fires haven't been from this year. Wildfires might be here to stay, which is awful for humans, but especially bad for trees because they can't move. Humans can just run away from a wildfire, but trees they're just stuck there.
Speaker 6: Can you imagine how terrifying they must be for them?
Speaker 1: Ah ha ah ah.
Speaker 2: Now, there are a number of ways that climate change makes wildfires bigger and more frequents. For instance, not only does dryer wood and leaves make better fuel for fires, but hot weather is also associated with increasing lightning strikes that ignite them. In fact, even small things about climate change can have a huge ripple effect that leads to fires, and I mean really small things.
Speaker 9: Millions of drought stress trees in California forests were low on SAP, which is their natural defense against the bark beetle.
Speaker 11: These are these little tiny bugs about the size of a grain of rice.
Speaker 12: Bark beetle infestation is linked to global warming. As the weather gets warmer, they burrow into the bark of pine trees. They kill the pine trees. The pine trees then essentially become sticks of kindling ready to burn.
Speaker 9: The beetles took down more than one hundred and sixty million trees, and that's where some of the largest fires are burning today.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I believe it a lot of people.
Speaker 2: The spread of the tiny bark beetle is yet another way that climate change is making wildfires worse. It's also a great reminder that even though climate change is really bad for us humans, for some other creatures it's.
Speaker 6: The best thing that ever happened.
Speaker 2: It's like how the Trump administration has been a disaster for most.
Speaker 6: People, but great for various reptiles.
Speaker 2: And I gotta be honest, I never thought the apocalypse would be caused by such a lame villain. I mean, really, guys, beetles are going to be the reason everything's on fire.
Speaker 6: Come on, man.
Speaker 2: The last season of Game of Thrones was bad enough when Denaris was burning everything down with dragons. Now I imagine if she had beetles instead, that shit would make the brand storyline seem exciting. Well, let's get back to the kid who's like a bird or something. I don't want these beetles. So, yes, we have to address climate change. But the truth is climate change isn't the only reason that these fires have been getting worse. There's also at least a century of government stupidity.
Speaker 13: Controlled fire or prescribed fire is the method of burning certain land to reduce wildfire hazards. This method was developed by Native Americans thousands of years ago. These low intensity fires, called cultural burnings, that built much of California's forests. Without controlled burns, forests would have become overgrown and unmanageable. Overgrown forests create a lot of fuel in its form of dry or dead plants. As European colonization grew in California, native tribes were banned from engaging in cultural burning, and over time, state and federal authorities focus on quickly extinguishing any wildfires. For example, the US Forest Service infamous ten Am policy so that any fires that occurred in it must be put out by ten am the next day. This limit on fires.
Speaker 7: Did little to reduce the fuel that was growing on the forest floor. And even with these policies, California still has fuel loads waiting to be burned from centuries ago, making prescribe burning far more tedious and expensive than previously thought.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you heard that right.
Speaker 2: One thing that would help out a lot is if California had been doing more controlled burns, which is basically when you burn a little to prevent a lot from burning later. It's the same way you meet your college friend for coffee so that you don't have to have a three hour dinner with them. And you know, you have to admit, it's pretty unbelievable that California is now doing what they outlawed the Native people from doing. I guess it's kind of hard, though, to kick somebody off their land and take their advice at the same time, this is my property now, you savage.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 2: Also, before you go, do you have any landscaping tips, like any like mulching techniques or things that I have to learn now. Obviously, it's bad enough that wildfires are burning millions and millions of trees, but what makes it an especially big problem for people is that we've been giving the fires a lot more of our stuff to burn.
Speaker 14: Since nineteen ninety sixty percent of all the homes in the United States have been built in the wildland urban interface.
Speaker 2: We've got houses in places we didn't used to have houses, and that puts people and property at risk.
Speaker 14: As more houses are built near wildlands, more of them burn. Fifty years ago, wildfires destroyed a few hundred structures per year across the United States. Now it's more than three thousand. In California alone. More than six million houses are in wild.
Speaker 15: Areas because urban housing is so expensive. Instead of avoiding these high risk zones, Californians continue to build in a tinder box of grass and trees boxed by windy canyon.
Speaker 16: Instead of smoky bear in the middle of the woods, we need a smoky bear in the middle of suburbia.
Speaker 2: Ah, you do yourself a favous smoky ban. You stay out of the suburbs. We don't want Karen calling the cops on you. Hello, nine one one, There is a bear in my neighborhood and he's he's brown. But yes, one big problem is that more and more people are building homes in the middle of the forest. And let's place the blame where it belongs. Here with the Keibler Alves Yeah, these guys made living in the forest looks so cool that everyone started doing it. You get to be in a tree making cookies all day. Sounds great, But guess what those cookies are covered with beetles. And if we're honest here, guys, one of the bigger issues is human arrogance.
Speaker 6: We just think we can build wherever we go. You know, wherever we build a house, that's our land.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 2: It's the same way people in Florida are always surprised when alligators show up. Oh, there's an alligator in my backyard. No, there's a person in that alligator's house. But the good news is we can fix these problems. Yeah, believe it or not. The wildfires don't have to happen the way they have been. We can stop them if we take action to reduce climate change. We can stop them if we maintain the forest, and we can stop them if we build in environmentally sensitive ways.
Speaker 6: And as for those beetles, you leave them to me. We'll be right back tonight.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna bore you with the effects of climate change that everybody knows about, you know, like more extreme weather, rising sea levels. Feeling guilty every time I start a wildfire. What we're gonna focus on instead is how all the major effects trickle down into a lot of weird little.
Speaker 6: Effects that you may not know about.
Speaker 2: And these little weird effects are changing the world in all sorts of ways, like the strange thing that's happening to sea turtles.
Speaker 8: Turtles are so important for the marine ecosystem, helping to keep sea life in balance. But they lay their eggs on the beach, and as the world wounds up, the sand is war them in too, and that is.
Speaker 14: A big problem.
Speaker 16: Sand temperature determines the sex of the hatchlings. So for the Northern Great beriery green turtle stock that they've been producing over the last ten to twenty years, ninety nine percent females. If that trend continues for decades to come, that's an irreversible issue and will lead them towards extinction.
Speaker 6: Ah, people, this is this is terrible. You kind of all female turtles.
Speaker 2: The species is going to go extinct, and it's also going to make for some really lame gender revealed parties. Oh wow, it's a girl, And I know what you're thinking right now. You're going, well, at least life is going to be pretty sweet for all those male turtles. Eh, they're going to be cleaning up on turtle tender And yeah, it may seem like a good deal until they realize that they're going to be expected to perform all the time morning turtle sex, afternoon turtle sex, nighttime turtle sex. They'll never have any time left to do whatever else turtles do, I don't eat plastic straws. I guess they don't do that for themselves. But that's the kind of weird effect of climate change that nobody saw coming, you know. I mean, how crazy is it that the heat of the sand is what determines the sex of the baby? You know, turtles should just do it like humans have the sex of the baby determined by the man screaming either male or female at the time of conception. It's a lot easier that way.
Speaker 6: What do you mean then, how did your parents do it? But then why am I a boy? Then you're dumb? And it's not just the turtles.
Speaker 2: Climate change is messing with the sexiest animals of all. Yeah, humans, And again I'm talking about unexpected little things. For instance, if you like to start your day with a cup of coffee, and maybe you like to end it with a couple of beers or a couple of.
Speaker 6: Bottles of wine.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, you might have a problem, But here's some news that might leave a bad taste in your mouth.
Speaker 11: Change could make it tougher for you to get a good cup of coffee. Changes in temperature, along with rainfall and the length of seasons would change the quality and taste of beans, making for a lower quality cup.
Speaker 17: A changing climate is putting those key ingredients used in beer at risk. More rain versus snow in the winter. This means irrigation may depend more on groundwater, which has a higher mineral content, and that's a big deal because that affects the beerest taste.
Speaker 11: An increase of about one point two degrees celsius over the past.
Speaker 9: Century has met wine grapes are maturing earlier, putting the world's most famous wine regions at risk.
Speaker 18: The largest change that wine drinkers are likely to see is higher alcohol contents in the finished product, and there's much discussion on if this is a good or a bad change.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure it's a bad change. I mean, the real housewives already fighting each other at current wine levels. You raised that any higher that show is going to have to move to UFC. And what's crazier for me is that this is gonna make coffee taste worse. That's what they said. That blew my mind because I already think coffee tastes like you burned Doghan and put the ashes in a cup of water. Yeah, and I know right now all the coffee drinkers.
Speaker 6: Like Trevor, You're wrong. Coffee taste delicious bullshit.
Speaker 2: If that's true, then why is it that every single coffee place has fifty different ways to cover up the taste of coffee. Huh? You got creamer in your coffee, you got half in half, you got vanilla, lattes, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, sugar, stevia.
Speaker 6: The only flavor no one wants is coffee flavor.
Speaker 2: You know why, because when you have coffee flavor, that shit keeps you up for three days, not because of the caffeine, because of the taste of regret. I'm never doing that again. And look, people can get used to bad coffee and stronger wine. I mean, we'll just put more oat milk in both of them. But unfortunately, climate change is also doing weird little things to our most core human behaviors, sex and violence.
Speaker 19: There are so many different things that can dampen your sex drive, and now here's another one to add to the list. Global warming. Researchers looked at really hot days and then look forward nine months. The impact was pretty sizable. In the United States, they found that the impact of one hot day meant eleven hundred fewer births. Nine months later, that could mean one hundred thousand fewer.
Speaker 6: Births every year.
Speaker 2: Rising temperatures are not the only phenomena on the rise.
Speaker 9: Our tempers have jumped.
Speaker 11: We're getting angrier, more aggressive, more violent.
Speaker 20: Our brains change when it's very hot, our hormones change, and people's behavior changes.
Speaker 10: You get a really hot night or really hot day, and people just freak out and do crazy things.
Speaker 18: Researchers say that as temperatures continue to rise, the US could see between twenty thousand and fifty thousand more violent crimes a year.
Speaker 2: That's right, thanks to climate change, we're looking at a future of no.
Speaker 6: Sex and tons of violence.
Speaker 2: So basically Drake's album cover, but nobody is pregnant and everyone is just punching each other. And you know, my one hope is that this is the news that finally gets people to take drastic action, because if anything is gonna motivate people, it's gonna be the end of sex. Oh. I mean, if there's one thing that could get humans to jump into action, it would be the prospect of absolutely no sex, because, trust me, the first time we caught of sex because of the heat, people are gonna lose it.
Speaker 6: I'm just gonna be there, like, what.
Speaker 15: Do you mean my penis is overheating?
Speaker 6: All right? Shut it down.
Speaker 2: Everybody planes, cars, bitcoin mining, everything until this blad boy gets back up.
Speaker 6: We're going ah mesh everyone.
Speaker 2: And by the way, this increase in violence isn't just a future problem. In fact, climate change may have already cost America a war.
Speaker 20: For the past three decades, drought and floods have plagued rural Afghanistan. As a result, farmers have struggled to maintain their crops in livestock, and many people have been left hungry.
Speaker 21: Afghanistan, of all the countries in the world, is ranked sixth in the list of all the countries hit hardest by climate change. The Taliban has gone to the communities of these farmers and mostly impoverished people in rural Afghanistan and said to them, look around you. You're not getting the support that you need from this government. Come join us. It's been very crucial to their eyes over the past two decades.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: The Taliban won in Afghanistan because of climate change, and also because America couldn't go a week without joining a school, but mostly climate change. Well, this really shows how desperate climate change can make people. When your livelihood is destroyed, you will turn to anybody promising relief. I mean, I will say, though, if you gave power to the Taliban because it was too hot, I think that's a decision that you're going to regret. All right, First thing, men, growbeards, women, come on everything except your eyes.
Speaker 6: Is there an extremist gurup that believes in short shorts?
Speaker 22: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, So climate change is having unexpected consequences all over the Earth. What's most shocking to me is that it's even having effects outside the Earth.
Speaker 10: Climate change also affects objects in space. As the upper atmosphere gets thinner thanks to climate change, the amount of drag goes down, and that means satellites stay in orbit longer, But it also means everything up there will stick around longer. Like the used upper sections of rockets which sometimes stay in orbit, or any debris from the occasional satellite collision. As more objects stick around, there is a higher and higher chance that they will collide, putting even more junk in orbit.
Speaker 23: Right now, there are probably over three million kilograms of space junk, vastly outweighing out operational satellites and nearby natural meteorites combined, forming a giant space tornado of death above our heads.
Speaker 2: You know what, I'm I'm not gonna lie. Giant space tornado of death sounds like the coolest way that you could die. No, no, no, wait wait wait I take it back, I take it back. The coolest way to die is still being trampled to death in a stampede of Rihanna's. That's still number.
Speaker 6: One, easily. But this is pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: Thanks to climate change, our planet is going to be completely circled in trash.
Speaker 6: Aliens are going to be flying past the planet.
Speaker 2: Like this looks like a bad neighborhood locked the doors.
Speaker 6: H Dad, you're so planet tests.
Speaker 2: You'll understand when you have blogsh.
Speaker 6: Of your own. So that's what we're facing with climate change.
Speaker 2: A lot of weird little effects that, when you add them all together, ends up being basically everything you know. We could be facing a future where your sex starved husband gets killed by space junk while he's on the way to join the Taliban. And don't forget, Please do not forget what it's going to do to our friends, the sea turtles.
Speaker 22: The female green turtle approaches a potential mate for the male turtle. This, his delicate ritual, is part of an endless, nightmarish orgy from which he cannot escape. He will have no peace, no rest, no moment to enjoy a tasty bed of sea grass, dignity a distant memory. He is nothing more than a communal reptilium stick attached to a shell, passed around from female to female, and expected to slam.
Speaker 24: Turtle Puss twenty four seven. He pumps joylessly, though he is exhausted. His suffering will not end until either.
Speaker 25: His turtle penis shaped raw by the ocean salt water, finally fails, or a tiger shark delivers him the sweet mercy of death.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from a daily podcast universe by searching.
Speaker 1: The Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 24: Get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Faaramount Plus
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast show