Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Clubs. This is Mick Shots streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 2: And here we are home, sweet home in the s w BC podcast studio at the Beautiful Star in Frisco. Got a fearsome forsome.
Speaker 3: Here like that.
Speaker 4: We are back, Mickey. The new logo looks great in.
Speaker 2: The whoa here inside the SWBC podcast studio. This is mix shots as miller Ie one work make shots.
Speaker 5: That's there's a screen there twice there.
Speaker 2: You must have gotten a raise, Mickey.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's it right there.
Speaker 3: It all went to the graphics and.
Speaker 2: We got the g man here wearing was Grambling football shirt. It's great to have you back, ever.
Speaker 3: Soon, Thank you very much. It's good to be bad guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, actually, good to have you back. Well, you've been gone for two weeks from the show.
Speaker 2: From the show, yes, yes, And Savannah, how nice is it to be back in Texas after two months in California? She went early.
Speaker 4: I did go early.
Speaker 2: I was out there alone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there something that it was like she was.
Speaker 5: It was in the six weeks.
Speaker 4: It was almost six weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean when things went wrong on campus, Savannah was the one to call to get things fixed.
Speaker 5: When we had a fire. What's wrong?
Speaker 2: Yeah, only one building.
Speaker 4: Six weeks, eighteen practices but only one building fire.
Speaker 2: That's a successful camp.
Speaker 3: So you tell ye, I went out to California early, that's I did.
Speaker 4: But I kept this is beautiful out there. It's stunning out there. I can't complain my point exactly.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 3: We missed you though, man, I miss you guys.
Speaker 6: You know you're too cheap to pay me to come out to camp. I go out there in a minute.
Speaker 5: Boy, I got friends, like we had to say of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if we could have pulled our money, but we don't have anybody.
Speaker 3: So I.
Speaker 6: Thought about, you know, Blayd going down, like maybe they might call me so well I am so I.
Speaker 3: Ended up you know, putting.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm like le Bron he put millions of dollars into his body. I put like tens of dollars into my body and I'm ready to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it looks like you're trimmed up you know haircut.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did that last night. That's a little talk.
Speaker 2: So you uh you were thinking maybe you get a call when I just push ups? Yeah?
Speaker 5: What about what about just backup?
Speaker 3: I could do that too. Yeah, then I need pull ups.
Speaker 2: And you can do special teams now because I got this on the kickoff team. All you stand.
Speaker 6: There, seven fifty thousand right right, and that like the minimum.
Speaker 5: Now that I think it's more than that.
Speaker 3: I don't say that.
Speaker 2: I mean even the practice squad has gone up to it.
Speaker 5: I can take yow I could do, and then they can elevate you. They can elevate you three times.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, and my money elevates.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, each time you can go out those minimum probably a million.
Speaker 3: Me and Michael Ivan come back. Now, Mike is making too much money.
Speaker 5: So if no one, you know, if no one gets hurt, you don't have to play.
Speaker 2: That's right, I want you.
Speaker 3: To be.
Speaker 6: That's what matters. That's what matters. All right, go ahead, tell me about blaming. I'm starting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that was the headline.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: That's a headline coming out of the weekend. Duran Bland and now you got cut down day by three o'clock tomorrow afternoon. This roster needs to be pared down to fifty three, right making.
Speaker 5: So yeah, and Bland will go on IR.
Speaker 2: Recall I R R I R R. You can you can have two players at the fifty three cut down. You can have two players that are designated as I R R injured reserved to return and.
Speaker 5: If anybody else get one day and then you can put them on IR. Okay, six of those during the season, so I would imagine, and the.
Speaker 2: I R R you're you have to be on IR for the first four weeks of the season. So like in the case of the Duran Bland injury, which apparently today he is adding surgery to repair the stress fracture the fifth meta tarsal right foot and.
Speaker 5: Guess who has experience with that?
Speaker 3: Boy?
Speaker 2: We really could you?
Speaker 7: I a valuables And so really estimated time is six to eight weeks now, Doctor Jerry was said after four or five games, which if you factor in the two weeks prior to the first game, then that makes sense.
Speaker 2: So he would be a four week.
Speaker 5: As early as the Detroit game, as late.
Speaker 2: Which is the fifth game of the season.
Speaker 5: And as late as after the.
Speaker 2: Bye probably actually Detroit, say sixth game, the sixth game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, so I'm got to give you perspective on the fractured fifth metatarcin. Right when I did mine, doctor Fowler told me, he goes, well, if you were a professional athlete, which you aren't, I could do surgery or we could do surgery on it and you'll be back in four to five weeks. Since you're not, I'm going to put you in a boot, give you crutches, and you're out for three months. Dang, I went to training camp in a boot and crutches in San Antonio.
Speaker 3: That's a lot.
Speaker 5: What a pain, right, But it's painful, and I guarantee you when it happened to him, he knew it too. I was playing tennis, jumped up in the air and came down bad, and I'd laid there and go, okay, this is going to subside. It's going to go away, right by the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So three months you were in a.
Speaker 5: Boot, two months in a boot, and then some rehab after that.
Speaker 3: So did it go up to up your leg, No, just on my.
Speaker 5: It's my fifth metatarsal, so on the outside of my left foot. Yeah, bone is so fragile. We've had, you know, DeMarcus Lawrence had it in his rookie year. It's just so fragile and but boy, it's painful. That's the first time I had to retire in tennis.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to.
Speaker 3: But do you have tennis games? Facs, you have tennis game? Do you know what you're doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You have a pickleball pickleball?
Speaker 2: You see.
Speaker 3: I know you're a pickleball guy.
Speaker 5: I know you a pickle I haven't digressed to that.
Speaker 3: I have not either.
Speaker 2: Oh, I played pickleball and you play pickle I'm sure Savannah had. It's big for well, for my age and for your age too. Savannah. Hey, there's my daughter's they you'd love playing pickleball.
Speaker 4: There's lines out of the pickleball family.
Speaker 3: Is it Olympic worthy?
Speaker 2: Soon? Will it be twenty eight? It's supposed to be, is it really?
Speaker 5: It might be like like a not demonstrations.
Speaker 3: I found out.
Speaker 6: That's what I found out in the Olympics. You could do any damn.
Speaker 3: Thing, okay, like climb a wall, like the d like to shoot a gun. You know, I don't even need the ear eyes. I could just go out like the dude from I don't know where he was from.
Speaker 6: He just looked like he was just shooting cans and he ends up getting a bronze medal for that. And all he was trying to do was, I think, stay away from his wife and and have some time with his kid. I mean, that's that's how that's how it came about. He just decided to say, Okay, I need to hang with my kid, so we're gonna practice that together. Next thing you know, he's in the Olympics and he wins a bronze medal.
Speaker 5: So back to you playing a couple of snaps. Really back up the corner.
Speaker 3: We really need something, because my question is what do we do well.
Speaker 5: I think the original thought was that Kaitlin Carson, the rookie fifth fifth round pick.
Speaker 2: I believe it was yes.
Speaker 5: That he was going to make the team and he was going to be the fourth corner. Okay, so I think they think that he's got to start.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Coach McCarthy said after the preseason game this week that with Klin Carson, he said, he's done a lot of nice things. Obviously early I think he was probably one of the rookies that probably made the quickest first impression. So I know that they were very impressed with him during his time at camp. He did look pretty well looking at the rookie.
Speaker 5: And he earned looking at the rookie starting cornerback. Well, there's no one else because everybody behind him has hardly any experience on That's why I promoted you, right, Uh, you started.
Speaker 2: As a rookie.
Speaker 3: I did not.
Speaker 6: Well, not first game, not first game, no, not at all. Michael Downs was the man free safety. Well, Mike was starting from about day one. He was just amazing. But yeah, he came through training camp, if I'm not mistaken, he came through training camp as a starting.
Speaker 5: Rookie at safety.
Speaker 6: So the preseason game and when we practiced against whoever we practiced against, he he was the starter.
Speaker 3: Even at that moment.
Speaker 5: Well, this guy was a fifth round pick.
Speaker 3: Michael Downs was undrafted.
Speaker 5: I know, so were you. And there were sixteen rounds back then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh no, no, no, still.
Speaker 5: It was down to twelve twelve. So he earned a nickname in training camp has seat belt.
Speaker 3: Oh that's the thing that the kids do these days.
Speaker 6: Yeah they I don't know what I sound old when I say that.
Speaker 5: Dak called him seatbelt. He didn't. They asked him about Kaylan and he was like who, and they go Kaylan he goes, oh, seatbelt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's the thing they I guess they lock it down. Yeah, I don't know. I thought they were putting a sword in the the.
Speaker 2: Heat, not to lockdown corner.
Speaker 6: I thought that that's a folster. Yeah no, no, is it not a sword?
Speaker 5: You can put it in.
Speaker 3: A sleeve right right now.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I have no qui. So it's like what chi Chi Rodriguez used to do, Yes, golfer he was he he'd celebrate a putt.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 6: I thought, I thought that's what they were doing as as cornerbacks, you know, like somehow slaying the receiver.
Speaker 3: But no, it's a seat belt.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 5: So yeah, So the deal is, which always happens when somebody gets hurt, it's like, oh, well that guy can step in. Well, now who's the next guy up? And it's slim pickings. I think they're going to keep an eye on the waiver wire because look, here are the other cornerbacks. Andrew Booth, who they traded for with Nashwan Wright, who was.
Speaker 2: The second round draft pick of the Vikings two years ago. So you would think forty second pick in the draft.
Speaker 5: It's got some some some experience, but mostly special teams.
Speaker 2: Make some experience with Semi Fijoko and giving up two long touch.
Speaker 3: That was coming up.
Speaker 5: Seventy eight yards, and then the week before working on YouTube, he gave up another one the week before.
Speaker 2: He's fine when everything's in front of him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he makes a lot of tackles.
Speaker 3: Who made the I saw one guy, I got two interceptions. One guy was that the same guy got.
Speaker 4: In you're talking about for the Chargers Jefferson for US.
Speaker 2: Oh, but Julius Wood had an interception in the game the other day and that's the second this preseason.
Speaker 3: That's the one.
Speaker 2: He's safety number thirty three safety. Yes, so C J.
Speaker 5: Goodwin is a special teams guy. Josh Butler had been playing with the second team along with Eric Scott, who hasn't played a down in the NFL.
Speaker 3: What is going on?
Speaker 5: Man, Josh de Berry hasn't played it down?
Speaker 3: You have no dbs and what is happening?
Speaker 8: Is it?
Speaker 5: Keman Hall Kim and Keeman.
Speaker 3: Six. But he's been.
Speaker 5: Around since twenty nineteen and really hasn't played.
Speaker 2: All that much and he's more of a slot.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Right, So so then we've got Lewis right, well, he's in the slot.
Speaker 2: The slot, your starting slot corner.
Speaker 5: And then they've used Israel mcwamu as a safety in the slot. And I asked him at the game did they did they talk to you about maybe playing outside again? Because he came as a corner and they trained and he goes, no, no one said anything to me, and then Booth said something.
Speaker 3: Corner always a corner. You never lose that. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Booth said something like, well, no, we don't need anybody.
Speaker 2: We got it covered.
Speaker 3: I said, oh, okay, so you're looking at the dying package.
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, when you got to go three, and he'll probably have to open with three. I mean that's how he he plays these days. So the next.
Speaker 2: Dime package, it's a nickel package.
Speaker 6: That's just the starting package period. If you're talking dome, you need another corner player safety if.
Speaker 5: They go dime.
Speaker 3: So basically, what you can't just say that no safety.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying no, I saw it in practice.
Speaker 6: But no, I'm not saying you're not accurate. I'm saying you say it so flippantly. That's a tough way just to bring a safety in because now you might be going against a safety versus a corner and the other slide.
Speaker 5: Well you put that guy on the tight end or yeah, yeah, okay, otherwise you're playing.
Speaker 3: You sound very confident.
Speaker 5: Extremely Thomas took on that role in practice, except he's got a groin string that didn't play, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And by the way, Kemon Hall didn't play in the game either.
Speaker 5: Yes, So it's complicated, uh, and it's worrisome too.
Speaker 2: So so basically what happened as far as the roster from last year to this year veteran corners is Stefan Gilmour was a free agent and then Stepan Gilmore obviously he was available all the way through the off season and then just a week or so ago signed with the Minnesota Vikings and it was a deal reported up to ten million dollars a year. And so yeah, and so that's who you're replacing, because the same thing happened last year in the second game of the season when Trayvon Diggs went down, but you had Stepan Gilmour on the roster. Now, somebody's got to be Stepan Gilmour. That that guy who's going to step in when one of these starting corners went down, and so.
Speaker 5: They will be looking at the waiver wire. I would imagine for somebody, right, yes, I just saw somebody.
Speaker 3: That's why you're negotiating for me, right, that's right.
Speaker 5: Right exactly, I saw somebody had a calumn or a suggestion of who might get cut. And Houston had two corners, Jeff Akudah and c J.
Speaker 2: Henderson South Grand Prairie High School, who is like the third pick in the draft out of Ohio State.
Speaker 5: And the years ago, well they're saying he was.
Speaker 2: With Detroit and then he was with Atlanta and now he's with Houston. So and CJ already become a journeyman.
Speaker 5: Wow, but at least he started games in the NFL. Well, yeah, so as a fourth look, as a fourth corner, you can't you can't get.
Speaker 2: Real choosybody, who did you like watching at cornerback in training camp? You are out there Jeffy single practice. Who did you like that's on the roster right now?
Speaker 5: It was between Josh Butler and Eric Scott.
Speaker 2: I like Josh Butler. Yeah, I understand he hasn't played in the NFL and his story is a very interesting one. Uh, Ever since he is twenty seven years old. He went to Michigan State and Illinois State. Eric Scott, No, no, you, Josh, but I went to Michigan State. And without getting into all the details of his story, his mom and dad died while he was in college. He graduates from Michigan State in two thousand and well, he played the twenty nineteen season. Now the pandemic, Hits doesn't get drafted, okay, and so he you know, you're not getting a chance in the NFL. He's got a master's degree and entertainment field, and so he goes to Hollywood. He becomes a star, and this says a lot about his character. Okay, he from from ground zero, makes himself. He's got three point three million followers on TikTok. But so then and he's at the same time, he's still working out, still has this dream of being an NFL player. Twenty twenty three, so we're fast forwarding three years. He gets a call from the Michigan Panthers of the United States Football League and he's in Hollywood and he says, and he's from him, you know, played college football in Michigan. I'll be there, give me three days. I'll be there and he packs up everything and goes to Michigan. This was last year. Okay, he plays in the USFL. Plays very well. Get signed a year ago by the Dallas Cowboys, his hometown team. He went to West Mesquite High School and he was on the practice squad all last year. And you know, I thought watching him in practice the two weeks that I was out there, I mean, he's got four three five speed, you know, and he was making plays in practice.
Speaker 5: He was one of those guys that flashed and then for a period I think after you left, he struggled a little and then came back on. So between those two guys, I think that's your but he was running with the twos.
Speaker 2: Yeah he was.
Speaker 4: And then even to odd On, I mean I even got a chance to talk to him out there. He you know, with all that he does, he sings, he acts, he does all this stuff on the side. He made it very clear football is my priority and being on this roster and like making a case for myself is my main priority. And I think he's done a great job of that at training camp. Like you said, he's been flashy in moments. I think, you know, he still has some work to kind of go off of.
Speaker 2: But he's a guy that had reserve and you know, we'll see if he makes the cut tomorrow. But you know he's you know, definitely practice squad candidate.
Speaker 5: And probably contribute on special teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And and so you've got currently on the roster. Kayln Carson is next man up. He's fifth round draft pick. Okay, and by the way, he was dealing with some health issues himself. He had a wisdom to issue and so he missed several practices because of that. But and he and he was looking good early on. But but he's young. And the idea when they drafted him was not that he was going to be the starter in Cleveland in the season opener, but it looks like that could be the case.
Speaker 5: He was going to be the fourth.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So we have all these guys for special teams and which is really for the Cowboys an honorable role to play because when I looked at our season last year, special teams is the best unit that we have on this team.
Speaker 3: You got a kicker, you got a punter, you.
Speaker 6: Got a great coverage deep snap special teams. I don't think special teams lost in the last two years. I can't see special teams losing any game for us. That's saying a lot for the.
Speaker 5: Kicker can hit from six kicker head.
Speaker 6: The punter can punt. Coverage is always good. Now, So that's what special teams. That's a worthy uh, you know, alternative. But I want some guys that can come out there in place on one on one. We need some guys could come out there and play Don Packets.
Speaker 5: We might be seeing a little more zone depending on how Carson adapts. But the difference here than last year at Bill pointed out Diggs was lost for the season. Yeah, this is just for maybe six games. Oh god, but you got to survive.
Speaker 2: And well, that wasn't Jerry's reaction. What you just said was not Jerry's reaction. He looks the glasses always half full, and so he's looking at k four or five games and he looks at from a positive standpoint, we're going to get this guy back, and we're eventually going to have these two Pro Bowl corners.
Speaker 3: That's another way of saying, Jerry's trying to figure out how to spin this right away. That's just all you just said.
Speaker 4: Everson, what would your advice be to Kyln Carson if he is our starter Week one.
Speaker 6: Enjoy it, be ready for own it. You know it's time. This is your moment, right. No one ever thought that you just got draft eyes fifth round?
Speaker 3: You know? Is he the one that has some Canadian experience? Am I wrong about that?
Speaker 2: Nost And?
Speaker 3: I remember? But I remember watching his videos.
Speaker 6: He comes out of breaks very well, very aggressive, good feet.
Speaker 3: I remember how quick his feet were and how quick he was on the reaction.
Speaker 6: I haven't watched any practice or heard any reports or anything, but I'm.
Speaker 3: Pretty sure that the way his mind.
Speaker 6: Works is very quick. You can see because of the reaction that he has, I would imagine he has. I don't think he has any other choice in his head or any even in his makeup to be non aggressive. He just seemed like an aggressive corner.
Speaker 3: Just from the beginning. I think I think that should he should own it? He should own it.
Speaker 2: Can you think we got a break coming up here? In just a matter of seconds? Think about this during the break Cowboys starting cornerback as a rookie who wasn't like a first or second round.
Speaker 5: Draft digs Zi. Yeah, and that's what I went back and found right away.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna have that answer, and then we're gonna have that answer. Think of a cowboy rookie.
Speaker 5: I got right in my head.
Speaker 2: And right across the table from you, but he didn't start to start the opener. We're looking for one that started the opener. When we come back on mix.
Speaker 1: Shots, Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 5: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction.
Speaker 2: Miller lt is brewed to be less feeling. What are you doing here?
Speaker 9: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 9: It says less filling. That's not what my script says.
Speaker 5: Hell mindset.
Speaker 10: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Miller Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm Mishine legal guy. Celebrate responsibly. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands, we point two grams cards for twelve ounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 2: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Late Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiro's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamole made with real hass avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kiro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 8: I'm Doak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped.
Speaker 2: The press out. Who looks right, It's not there. He escape left.
Speaker 5: You'll love full first down.
Speaker 8: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 2: Prescot's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 9: What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com to mixed.
Speaker 4: Shots Tomorrow night, Tuesday, August twenty seventh, you can join the team at the Start in Frisco for Cowboys Night. Practice will be from six to seven pm and entry to the Ford Center is free for fans to come and watch another trading camp practice here at the end of August.
Speaker 2: We're televising that on TXA twenty one locally tomorrow night from six to seven o'clock. Extreamenglom Dallascowboys dot com. They wearing pads, no no, no pats. It's going to be an extension of mix shots.
Speaker 12: Mocked it and so we'll be breaking down what happened as the team cuts down to fifty three by three o'clock tomorrow.
Speaker 2: All right, what rookie cornerback started first game? Well, I know, if we go back, that wasn't a first or second round draft pick thirty two years Larry Brown probably started in nineteen. He did not start the season opener, oh, because that was the one that came to mind for me. And you remember what happened his in camp his rookie year, and he was a twelfth round draft pick out a TCU. He had he I'm making sure I get this right. He quit training camp for a few days because of personal reasons and also had a brief hospitalization that was thought to be appendicitis. So anyway, he missed a portion of camp.
Speaker 5: His personal reason was he was pissed that they weren't using him him enough in training camp.
Speaker 2: Well you like that ever since don't.
Speaker 3: So he was so concerned that he had appendicitis.
Speaker 5: I don't know about the pendicitis, but I know, I know he thought he was going to get a chance, and a twelfth round pick wasn't getting opportunities.
Speaker 2: And that's I like that. He got the attitude that, you know what, I don't care if I am a twelfth round draft, I don't care if I am an undrafted player out of Richardson Berner High School.
Speaker 3: I'm going to hold out for more money.
Speaker 2: That's right. And so it was the fourth game of the season, is when he passed Manny Hendricks on the depth chart at right cornerback and started starting in nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 5: Who did you find since you asked the question, no, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 5: Oh you didn't.
Speaker 2: But he was the first Cowboys rookie to start at cornerback since Ron Francis in nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 3: I was going to say pup. I was going to say Kevin Smith.
Speaker 2: But he was first round pick, so he didn't. And even Ron Francis was the second round.
Speaker 5: I think you have to go back to twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: I mean, uh, okay, we'll do more research.
Speaker 5: On that or Kareem lay More.
Speaker 2: That's okay. Let's we got plenty of time to go over that before Cleveland unless they acquire someone in the meantime. Okay, all right, So what what are we anticipating leading up to tomorrow?
Speaker 5: Tomorrow? Do you want to cut the roster?
Speaker 2: It's up to you. It's mixed shots.
Speaker 5: We got three quarterbacks, okay, right, there's three.
Speaker 2: All three quarterbacks are making this team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, absolutely, I think you're going to have three.
Speaker 3: You still do that's crazy?
Speaker 5: Hey, three for three?
Speaker 2: Twenty yards. I'm glad there was a pregnant pause there, Mickey, so that everything could chime in.
Speaker 3: Wow. I mean, I try, it wouldn't go away. It wouldn't get out of my head.
Speaker 5: It's like WOA colony.
Speaker 2: But they're only painting five million dollars.
Speaker 5: He had the winning touchdown pass and he threw it high. Guy was how does a guy get open from what were they twenty yards? You got to have everybody standing on the goal line, right, there's only one play left, was like three seconds.
Speaker 2: There was seven seven Actually there was a chance if you did it.
Speaker 5: So the guy comes, they had two guys in the slot, and the one guy comes and runs a and then and.
Speaker 3: He's he's open in the back of the end zone.
Speaker 5: No, in the front of the end zone.
Speaker 3: I was thinking it was in the end zone.
Speaker 2: But it was the end zone and he was there was maybe he was throwing for the guy in the back of the end zone.
Speaker 6: All I know is you can't pump fake down there. You can't pump fake in the red zone. I mean, was a timing thing. You can't put He threw it and then he.
Speaker 3: Looked that way. The minute he came out from under the center. He looked at the entire time.
Speaker 5: No, that was the first one in the end.
Speaker 3: So that's the one.
Speaker 2: I'm he stared down Jefferson.
Speaker 5: All right, and he makes the team. Okay, four running backs, including the unter le lip Key lip Key, and I think it's I think what remember the.
Speaker 2: Last year, Remember the last preseason game last year, and he went off. He had sixty six yards rushing and over like sixty yards receiving and he made the team. Well this time, ever, soon he had made the team to the point that he didn't even have to play in the last preseason game. That's how what question he's made?
Speaker 3: How do you fall forward?
Speaker 2: How do you let me say this about Hunter forward? Let me say this about Hunter Lipkey. Now that he's two hundred and forty five pounds, which is Kyle of use Check size. The Cowboys might have themselves say Kayla yustchik in Hunter Lipkey. I'm just saying, just saying, and I'm not talking about carrying the football down they go alo whatever. But you see what the eight time pro bowler, Pro Bowler use Check does for San Francisco. That's a very very high bar up there. And they might have that type player in Hunter Lipkey go ahead, making.
Speaker 5: So three of the four guys the running backs did not play on Saturday.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 5: And I think Deuce earned the spot too instead of Royce Free. You need the third running back's got to be a different dimension than the other two, and I think he gives them that.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: Six receivers.
Speaker 2: My league Davis would be the other one that would be in the mix.
Speaker 5: Right, six receivers. I think floor noy is earned the spot.
Speaker 2: I'm still going with Flinoy until some different the media guys. In the media guy, it says Ryan Flinoy. So when I'm gonna come with until someone tells you, all right.
Speaker 5: There's no R in the in the in the last name.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: So six according to the media guy, right, that's including Lamb, assuming he gets signed in time to play. Because you take a full back, then I think you're down to three tight ends. I would have liked to kept four. I don't know if they can finagle that because I think Brevin spahn Ford has got something. But I think forty seven eight.
Speaker 2: Princeton, who's a converted full back from Tennessee.
Speaker 5: So he can do both.
Speaker 2: But you got the coaches were like, we don't care. You don't care what we think about him. It's what the coaches think about him. And the coach is loving right.
Speaker 5: He's got good feet, But I think John Stevens.
Speaker 2: Here's here's the deal with all these tight ends that aren't named Jake Ferguson or a second round pick in scoon Maker. Every team's got all these guys, and that's a prime position where you put guys on the practice squad. It's kind of like Sean McEwan last year. Did you realize that Sean McEwan was here on the practice squad, get called up and for a week or so he went to another team, and then he came back here. I mean it happened. Yeah. That's and that's when Jerry talks about the finality of these cuts. There's no finality to anything here. I went back Mickey and looked at the roster of the game day roster and the third game of the preseason last year, ninety man roster, and eighty four of the ninety players on that roster are still on a team this year. Last year they got onto another team, They got under practice squad with the expanded practice squads, and so forth, and that includes the eighty the sixth that aren't include the two that retired in Layton Vandersh and Michael Gallup. There's only fourth and then a couple of others were in the Canadian this year. And I mean, there's so much. The practice squad rules, the injured reserve rules have made tomorrow inconsequential. Basically, now you can pick off players from other teams. That's where it is consequential, and you gotta be you gotta be careful and who you expose and hope that another team if you like them and you're trying to do tricks to get them to the practice squad. You might get burned on that. But there's so many players to go around. You can make up for it by picking off a guy off another teams.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, but they got to be good, Bill, and they are.
Speaker 2: Here's what Here's what the deal is. Most of these coaches they want the known commodity and not someone from another team. So if they've worked with a guy throughout the entire off season and so forth, they know what they have in this player. And I'm not talking just about skills, but how they learn everything about us try it. It's the team's got to be desperate to go pick another player off another roster because the coaches influence it so much in that they want guys that they can trust.
Speaker 6: Well, I think that's kind of where we are though, you know, I just feel like, especially if we're talking about just talking about the cornerback position itself, that's.
Speaker 3: Where we are.
Speaker 6: And I don't like that being in that position to where we got to go pick practice players and oh, well, we gotta feel the special teams first, but dang, we need somebody and cover somebody.
Speaker 3: Brother, they're gonna come outing.
Speaker 5: They're not worrying about special teams at this point, and maybe when you get to the linebackers or an extra safety that might be the case. Offensive line, I think eight for sure, and maybe nine at that point, so you got we know now because they didn't play in the game. Dyton and BB are your starters. Left tackle and center. TJ. Bass will be one of the backups. Hoffman will be a backup. Then you've got Zach Martin, Tyler Smith, Terrence Steele.
Speaker 2: Get to the good stuff. Who's the tackle?
Speaker 5: The Boston Richards at this point is the backup swing tackle, And I think that guy probably is not.
Speaker 2: On the roster right now, the backup swing tackle, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 5: Because they are. I mean, Richards hasn't played that much and now you're asking him at the drop of the hat to play either right or left tackle with not much NFL experience.
Speaker 2: I didn't hear let's go in that.
Speaker 5: I think the last spot comes down to the optimism. The last spot comes down to let's.
Speaker 2: Go or ball gay and that would be nine.
Speaker 5: That would be nine, and you would want nine. So so on offense, that's seven, six, seven and nine fifteen and nine six twenty four? Did I not add it up right?
Speaker 3: I just thought you were going with that new math. All right?
Speaker 2: You had three quarterbacks, four running backs at seven, you had three tied ends, had six wide receivers at sixteen, and you have eight or nine offensive linemen, which is twenty four to twenty five. Right, all right, we turn our attention to the defense. When mix shots brought to you by Miller Light returns of the moment.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 9: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 5: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Light is brewed to be less feeling.
Speaker 2: What are you doing here?
Speaker 9: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 9: It says less filling. That's not what my script says.
Speaker 5: Hell mindset.
Speaker 10: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Little Lighter is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm vishine legal guy, Celebrate responsibly. Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands to be point two grams carbs for twelve bounces, fewer cows and cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 2: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it as you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamoli made with real half avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kiro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: If they snap of the press, guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped slapped, He'll look for a first down.
Speaker 8: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 2: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 3: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 2: Dem shuts.
Speaker 4: The official twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine training Camp preview is now available. This year's edition feature scouting reports, position analysis, a pull out schedule poster, and articles from your favorite Cowboys writers. Get your Training Camp preview today at your local pro shop or Dallas Cowboys dot Com slash Star. And we are on to defense.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mickey.
Speaker 4: Yes, we're cutting down this.
Speaker 5: Roster and remember on defense. Uh, if they were gonna keep al kwandin Muhammad, he's suspended for one game, so he will not count against the fifty three.
Speaker 2: What's the reason he had pep suspension six game suspension last year when he was with Indianapolis. He's already served five games and he's got one more game to go. So he was wearing number ninety two.
Speaker 5: If you ain't seating, you ain't trying, Okay, go ahead. So I would think the eighths that make it, assuming they don't sign or finish signing Lynnville Joseph before the fifty I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna I'm gonna assume no, don't do that before three o'clock tomorrow exactly.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 5: Defensive line Mazzie Smith, Karl Lawson, DeMarcus Lawrence, Tyrus Wheat, Marshawn nielan Osa O'degiezua, Jordan Phillips, Chauncey Golston was that eight?
Speaker 2: Eight?
Speaker 5: All right? I got room for one.
Speaker 2: Then you're going to add Linville Joseph Wednesday.
Speaker 5: Right, and then they can worry about Mohama.
Speaker 2: So that leaves you break them down tackles and ends. I didn't like the way you went.
Speaker 5: Oh sorry, so tackles.
Speaker 2: Osa and Mazie and Jordan Phillips.
Speaker 3: Jordan Phillips UH recently acquired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the biggest defensive tackle they traded with the Giants.
Speaker 5: But he now they have room for one very.
Speaker 2: Highly intelligent player out of Oklahoma.
Speaker 5: I don't see any reason h keeping. You saw how I just went right by that Albert Huggins. If they needed a defensive tackle, I bet they're going to put him on the practice squad.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we got guy from Buffalo, didn't we?
Speaker 5: Phillips.
Speaker 2: Phillips play for Buffalo, played for Buffalo last year.
Speaker 3: Another uh.
Speaker 2: Glenville Joseph is another one.
Speaker 5: But he hasn't signed you.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, they've agreed to terms. He hasn't signed the declaration.
Speaker 5: Of independent I like the moves, like them, and then.
Speaker 2: If you like that he hadn't signed the Declaration of Independence yet. That's what That's what Jerry fell. That's what Jerry said on there. They repressing Jerry saying I'm trying to.
Speaker 5: Sign and when you were worried about another defensive tackle, Denzel Jackson will get he's an international guy, so they get an extra guy on the He.
Speaker 2: Played at Illinois, which now is an international.
Speaker 5: Programs from Themas.
Speaker 2: He was born in the Bahamas.
Speaker 4: He qualified qualified member of the practice squad. Everybody, he was very impressive in this case, they.
Speaker 5: Come with it now.
Speaker 2: The other the other thing is when I didn't when I did that eight? Do you want to count Micah as a linebacker? That's right?
Speaker 5: Or a defense of player? So if he's a linebacker, it's Parsons.
Speaker 2: Clark, yes, going to be moved around ever going to beat.
Speaker 5: Six six linebackers of Mike accounts there if he's there?
Speaker 2: Can you name them?
Speaker 5: I can't. If the guys guys would not keep talking over Parsons over shown Dumont Clark, Marris, Leophile Kendricks, and Buddy Johnson. Willie Harvey has a chance. If you know they signed Damian Wilson late last year played here won a Super Bowl in Kansas City.
Speaker 2: So you just named eight linebackers who can't he can go on try, but you just named eight linebackers and this team had one at the end of the year last year.
Speaker 3: And that's why.
Speaker 5: So much debt have been watched the game.
Speaker 3: How have I linebacker has been fairing?
Speaker 5: I thought they've played well. Kendricks Damone Clark has a sore knee. So but when they've had three out there at once, believe that I'm talking about So Kendricks Clark, and it was a combination of over shown, Leophil.
Speaker 2: And both leaphol has played well and he's worked with the ones here late in camp too. Over shown has been bothered by a hip issue and and not serious and Demone Clark and.
Speaker 5: Right, well yeah preseason so yeah, but he's got a hip pointer. Did you ever have a hip Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yes, I did.
Speaker 5: Painful.
Speaker 3: It was very painful. You played through it, though I did, but I cried.
Speaker 2: All right. Now we go to the secondary, now, all important secondary.
Speaker 5: So you've got Jordan Lewis, Donovan Wilson.
Speaker 2: Wait, hold on, how do you want to do it. Let's do safety safeties first, Let's do mix and match. Let's go safeties first.
Speaker 5: Right, So you've got Donovan Wilson and Meli Cooker.
Speaker 2: Mellie Cooker is the other starter, right, and Marquise Bells three.
Speaker 5: You said hooker, right, Thomas's four for sure, okay, if they keep a fifth. Mcwamu has been playing as a safety, nickel, backup nickel.
Speaker 2: Guy like a slot corner right. Okay, so there's four and a half.
Speaker 3: That's a big physical guy on the slot.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: I like it. Okay.
Speaker 5: So then cornerbacks Jordan Lewis, Trayvon Diggs.
Speaker 2: Bland will be in an I R R R, so he's doesn't count against the fifties.
Speaker 5: I guess we'll put c J. Goodwin in this category, but he's a specialty.
Speaker 2: And the other thing to keep in mind on a CJ. Goodwin or a Trent Sig the long snapper veterans who are on a one year contract, those could be guys that you cut tomorrow and bring back the next.
Speaker 5: Day, correct, after you put somebody on who they are, and then Kayln Carson and then there's got to be one more. We've already talked about those other guys.
Speaker 2: So, so you had Diggs Lewis, Kayln Carson and then what we're not counting Bland because he's on a.
Speaker 5: Count and good one good Butler, So maybe Butler, there's a there's a fourth Andrew Booth.
Speaker 2: Right for both, So that would be five corner. You're you're looking at five corners in five safeties for ten in the secondary?
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Safeties? You've said four in mcwamo would be a fifth.
Speaker 5: Oh, okay, that might be too much.
Speaker 3: One ever played one on one? I mean does he play?
Speaker 2: No, he's strictly a special teams player. Yeah, he's a special teams player.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's our Matthew Slater.
Speaker 3: I don't even know where that is.
Speaker 2: So Slater's like he's going to be a Hall of Fame special teams player for the Patriots.
Speaker 5: Okay, some time.
Speaker 2: At this point, you've got Jackie Slater's son.
Speaker 5: Wow, eight eight defensive lineman takes six linebackers twenty four. You know we might be over a little bit here.
Speaker 2: Well, that's fine, eight over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's the math. It's the math, Mathew, twenty four and three is twenty seven. That's fifty two. I got one more.
Speaker 2: Guided there you go. Ever since there's a spot for you spot.
Speaker 5: The spot on the team, but they would have to have one more corner.
Speaker 2: So but I did. I counted five and five, So then and you had six linebackers.
Speaker 5: Six linebackers and then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like eight defensive defensive.
Speaker 5: But eventually it'll be nine and maybe ten.
Speaker 2: So it's easy.
Speaker 5: So it's not that hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really easy to cut this astral a little bit better, except my job's not on the line to have this, right, I feel a little bit better. Okay, Well, that does it. Okay, So when we reconvened, we'll be on Wednesday morning at ten am, is that right?
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 2: So we'll see how Mickey did on his cuts.
Speaker 5: Right, and we'll look for some guys on the waiver wire. Okay, very good, right, and know that Cleveland has already put there starting running back Chubb on pop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's okay.
Speaker 2: I think Juju went to the Chiefs, Juju Smith Schuster. Yes, he back to the Chiefs. Back to the chief He was cut early in camp by the Patriots, and now he's with the Chiefs.
Speaker 5: All right, And I've got one minute to point out that even though there's these defensive tackles Phillips, Lynnville Joseph Misey Smith did not play in this game, so they are set.
Speaker 3: On him quick progress support.
Speaker 5: I think he's he's done a really nice job. He has him and he's trying.
Speaker 3: That's okay, I don't want to hear that quest.
Speaker 5: No, he's trying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that means you just like him.
Speaker 4: No, he has a little bit more spiciness to him, thank you than we've seen is making. He's more aggressive, like he was chatting with us, like he seems like he's doing like red hot, like ready to go holding down the four.
Speaker 2: How many snaps the game is he going to get to thirty? And how many is Lynnville Joseph going to get thirty? Six year old Lynnville.
Speaker 5: Joy Maybe Yeah, everybody's acting like Lynnville Joseph's come here and set the world on fire. He's played a portion of the last two seasons seven games and eight games, so it's not like we've got Russell Maryland showing which, by the way, Russell's sun's pretty good.
Speaker 2: RJ. Maryland. If the college season ended right now, RJ. Maryland out of SMU and South Lake Carroll High School would be your Heisman Trophy winner.
Speaker 5: And he's not built a good game. He has not built like Russell.
Speaker 3: That was a good game, by the way.
Speaker 2: That was come from behind victory for the SMU Mustangs. All right, We're back at you on Wednesday at ten am here on mix Shots, presented by Miller lite O Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.