Speaker 1: I feel one on one to see a couple of them in my taste with he and my lemonade, because I let the way it tastes be seats at the parents.
Speaker 2: Can he let me run the base? Yeah?
Speaker 1: My tame is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Oh why see? Is alloyer take my date? So my dates or a stick by the plate sending case kept the case from my race at my pace.
Speaker 2: Clintic Brands That.
Speaker 3: Is Snake Episode three eighty four of Buco Banter, the first episode recapping previewing, discussing trades after the All Star break as always myself, Adam, Scott Moore, Jim Stamboys, how are we doing on this smoky, smoky, smoky Thursday evening.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 4: People don't have excuses for not being on the live right now, because I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: It's not safe to be outside.
Speaker 4: I had to walk from downtown to the Strip to my car today after work and I felt like I smoked like twelve pats cigarettes.
Speaker 2: So it was it was a rough one.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you that this is your nightmare, then this is your absolute I hate cigarettes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, the good parent that I am Ben went to baseball practice tonight, So you know.
Speaker 2: You got to respect the grind. That's all I'm gonna say.
Speaker 3: On Well, guys, the second half of the season is upon us. Yeah, it's it's gonna be a grind from here on out. Every day matters, and that's what we asked for as Pirates fans going into the second half of the season, is to play meaningful baseball. And that's exactly what you're gonna get. And now the trade rumors are starting to circulate a little bit more. You had to trade today with the Pirates. We'll discuss that a little bit, but people are going to want more and this team deserves more in order to compete. Guys, Cleveland right away, you get a good team. Tomorrow might be in jeopardy because of this smoke. But how do you feel going into the second half with the schedule set as it is.
Speaker 2: I kind of like it.
Speaker 4: I mean, Cleveland's a team that always plays above expectations or kind of like a Brewers of the Al similar to the Rays, like they churn out good talent every year. But I will say I think the Pirates, when you look at the roster just side by side, I do think this is the Pirates are a better team and they're gonna face some good pitchers and Gavin Williams and Joey Cantillo, a guy that they would typically struggle with, maybe a Tanner Biby on Sunday against Paul Skiens. I do think this is a team that is in a similar position as the Pirates. Right, they're tied to the top of the Central. We're not tied to the top of our division because the AL Central is a lot weaker than the NL Central. But I think this is a team that's in terms of skill set, is pretty similar and good opportunity to show out against an AL team and boost yourself in the standings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think like when you look at this series, very very similar teams.
Speaker 5: I think the Guardians went into the break having won four in a row, Pirates one three.
Speaker 2: They both probably would have preferred to have kept playing. But this is a there There aren't many.
Speaker 5: Series that I go into now thinking the Pirates can't win or split based on the number of games. So you know, these are two teams that we're playing well, and Cleveland is certainly benefiting from the AL and and and the weakness there but you know, this is a game that they've got set up with the pitching staff the Pirates do.
Speaker 2: I think they're going to be in a good position. I will say this, this is a really young team.
Speaker 4: Travis Bizana, pd alp In Khalil Wattson chased a lot or a lot of rookies, a lot of young contributors. So I think, you know, the Pirates have the advantage there. But a really good pitching staff, elite closer and Kate Smith in a really good starting rotation.
Speaker 3: Before we get into that rotation in the second half, and some trade talk. There was a trade today. We've got to spend a couple of minutes on it. The Pirates make a move for a depth piece in Robert Hassel, the third former first round pick for the was the Padres that picked him.
Speaker 2: And he was he was in the one Soto trade.
Speaker 6: Right so he's overall pick right behind right behind Nickensaal's not a great draft class that ended up being The Pirates actually had a decent draft class.
Speaker 3: They got Carmen Majenski, Jerror Jones, and Nicknzalez the rest of the class. Eh, but they bring in Hassle the third as a depth pieces, either cash considerations or a player to be named later. People are going to look into every single trade. This is pretty much a nothing, guys. This is just, hey, let's take a waiver on a guy that was a first round draft pick, has some pedigree. Maybe he turns out to be something. He's only twenty four years old. If not, you really lose nothing here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I don't really have a ton of hope in the prospect that is Robert Hassele. But I'll take a flyer on a guy for cash considerations. I think that's pretty much all that is. And I hope, like what I was saying today, I hope this isn't a precursor to a trade where we get rid of other outfield deaths because I'd much rather have it just Sin sant Garcia and some of the other names in our system than are Robert Hassele. Yeah, he's just one of these guys that haven't panned out that you take a flyer on. It's a body for you know, the miners and lefty hitter.
Speaker 2: See what comes of it.
Speaker 5: Probably nothing, not a big, not a big hopefully this is hopefully this isn't the big move.
Speaker 3: Guys, No, if this is the big move, then we're in some deep, deep, deep trouble. But no, they're going to go out and make some moves. And we were talking a little bit before we went live in scott you mentioned them doing something a little bit different or or acting out of character, And I think this is a good time to get into it because this team needs something a little bit different. You've dealt with a ton of injury. Spencer Horowitz, O'Neal Cruz KG going down is terrible. There might need to be a little bit of a change, not to the lineup really, but just something that shakes it up a little bit more that really puts them over the edge. And I'm curious if you think or to hear what you think that is.
Speaker 2: I mean, you hear a ton of speculation. Could they trade this guy? Could they trade that guy?
Speaker 3: Like? What it?
Speaker 4: What were your guys thoughts if you saw that O'Neill Cruz was in a deal for like a Mason Miller, a big, big, probably the biggest name you could possibly acquire in terms of bullpen help by far, what would your initial thoughts be, Because if I'll give my I'll give my thoughts first.
Speaker 3: Even though, I.
Speaker 4: Yeah, O'Neill's not going to probably be extended by the Pirates, right, there are some other names that you want to extend probably before him. Defense has been a big problem for this team, and he's probably at the top of the list, the top culprit in terms of defense. Obviously, you can't teach that type of swing talent. But what if I told you that you could acquire the best closer in baseball and maybe not have to deal like with the Seth Hernandez, Right, a guy that you see could maybe fill in for his schemes once he's gone. Just some thoughts to put out there, because I think Jake Mangham's done a fine job. It's in center field, especially defensively, he's hitting above three hundred, and I do think there's reinforcements on the way in terms of, you know, positional depth.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I mean, here's the thing about this. People lost their minds on Twitter when people started.
Speaker 2: Mentioning O'Neill Cruz.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 5: It's outrageous to explore anything with this team, with the position they're in and this offense being as good as it is, and you know, on top of it, I do think that like it might take more bold this time around with this trade deadline. If you look around the league, guys, there's like six teams that are out of it. Like prices are gonna be high, and guys are gonna be valuable commodities around the league simply because there's twenty four teams that feel that they're still in it. And so you're not just going to be able to like nibble here and there and hope to get a lot because the supply and demand is a factor this time.
Speaker 2: So I just think, like, you know, like broad your horizons. I'm not saying do it. I'm just saying, like, explore everything.
Speaker 4: I will say this the initial concern there with me For me, like I do think that the pirates you don't come. You don't have the number one offense that often, right, So like you should go for it when you have the number one offense, and no one should be off the table necessarily for the right deal. But they need more than one reliever. And that's the issue with me, and that's what gives me some pause is that I think you need to bring in more than just a Mason Miller. Like I do think you need to bring in another middle reliever that could be more reliable because you're also relying on a lot of younger guys, the guys that I think are gonna be long term contributors this team, like a Antoine Kelly, a wilburd Hotel, a Brandon Bidoir even, but you need some some more reliable guys, more experienced guys to come in and supplement that bullpen.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what, I like ONEO Cruz, and I think he could be really, really good. The ceiling's obviously high, and we could talk about it for days on what ONEO Cruz can do. This offense is finding ways to win without ONEO Cruse. Now, would he can con tribute? Absolutely? Could he change the game in one swing of a bat? One hundred percent is you can create havoc on the base path. Sure, this team is losing games because of the bullpen. So if that's the move that you're gonna make and you're confident that that's going to push you over the top, I don't have a problem with it. I'm not going to question it. I would even applaud them for taking a risk, right and it's not a risk bringing in Mason Miller he's going to throw one hundred and five miles per hour and take care of business. It's a risk more so, it's Hey, you've invested all this and O'Neal Cruz. You've seen him go, you know, from what he was to what he is now, and you've dealt with injuries and some slow times. But you'd like to see it out. But again, you're finding ways to win without O'Neill right now, and you're doing it like your offense is really not struggling in the slightest and Connor and Spencer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like I think that that's the thing is Like, clearly keeping him in an ideal world is what you'd like to do. But if the offense can get along without it, and you know, that's yet to be seen, and that's probably the risk, right It is like can they keep doing like this at this historic franchise pace? Yeah, if you believe that to be true, that they will not, you know, when they get Horowitz back soon and that they're still going to keep chugging along. I do think that, you know, Scott, you mentioned about what do you have to give up to get them? In depth and all that with Mason Miller. It at least allows you to not dip into your prospects if it's cruise and then use prospects.
Speaker 2: For another guy. You know, like you can't trade.
Speaker 5: For three relievers and trade eight prospects to do it, right, So that's like that's the to.
Speaker 2: Me, that's like the how do you strike that balance?
Speaker 4: I also there's a lot of relievers out there that are interesting to me, And I want to bring up another trade scen arc because I know I brought Brasban and I didn't give the proper credit. So my guy Ian had a really good offer. Another one that he brought up the other day on Twitter, Jonathan Lewiseca, who used to be a high leverage guy for the Yankees, is now at the Diamondbacks ground Ball Machine.
Speaker 2: Ground ball Machine. He also throws pretty hard.
Speaker 4: What if you offered a your Donnie Dela Santa, straight up, a guy that is Rule five eligible who probably you're not gonna put on the forty man next year, right, because they've got a lot of those guys, and I think that's where they could really get creative with getting multiple arms. What if you traded your Donnie Dela Santo's to Arizona and got back a guy that has high leverage potential, like a Jonathan Lewise a bat.
Speaker 3: I think we're gonna see that. Scott, I think you're gonna see the rule five eligible guys come into play. Because you can only protect so many. They're not going to protect as many as they did in years past. You got to protect too. Tamar Johnson, Bonnie White, de los Santo's I'm not opposed to it. And I think just going back to the Mason Miller point, just adding him alone makes the rest of the bullpen better, right, And I know we're kind of dreaming on a lot here. Is this likely going to happen? No, but a guy like that allows the ninth inning to be taken care of. That's it, point blank. No one else is touching the ninth inning. Everybody else slots down a little bit into a little bit better of a position where guys throw not as many high leverage innings. Okay, greg Orrisoto slots down. If you're gonna keep Dennis Santana around, he's not throwing high leverage innings. Mason Montgomery might not be throwing as many high leverage innings, although he's looked pretty good and high leverage the past couple of games. I think you have to toy around with the If you're toying around with prospects for arms, those are the guys that you start with and then you go from there. I've seen a lot of trades where people are throwing multiple, multiple prospects at relievers. That's just not gonna happen. Like, you can't do that. And I understand the urgency, but you're not throwing three prospects for Luke Weaver. You're just not doing that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, I like Luke Weaver, by the way, but I would not throw it. And I'd be willing to part with Edward Florentino for the right price because I have my concerns there. Even though he's young and I'm a big ban of Edward Larentino, I do have a little bit of concern.
Speaker 2: About the swang I would be.
Speaker 4: I'd be willing to part with him in a Mason Miller trade. Luke Weaver, I have some pause like it. There's very few guys i'd part with him in the thing about Luke Weaver is I think he's twelve million next year too, Like that's a factor that's a problem. Same with Antonio Sencitela in Colorado. I think he's own thirteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you'd hope to be able to find another way to do all this.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: The other thing about this is guys that even worse affected this trade deadline coming up is the Reds.
Speaker 2: They're nine and one in their last ten games.
Speaker 5: I think everybody thought Chapman and I think it was Whitlock. I think everybody assumed those guys were gonna be dealt. Guess what they're not. They're a half game out of the wild card. That even further.
Speaker 2: Shrinks the pool of like available teams and impact arms.
Speaker 3: Yep, the price of the brick is going up. That that's what you're saying. Yeah, there's less guys and the price is going up. Relievers are always a hot commodity at the trade deadline. It's gonna be interesting. They have to be a top player this year, by the way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like like there are two games under five hundred and a half game.
Speaker 4: Out look at their roster, I mean the injuries they have and that it's crazy that they've won nine straight.
Speaker 3: But go ahead, Greig Breslow, so you never know what he's gonna do. You know it's it could be up in the air that they could still make some moves and sell a little bit. But yeah, there needs to be a couple of moves. I think two bullpen arms and then maybe somebody who sits in triple A for a little bit. Is the likely happening at the trade deadline, and maybe they make a move for another bat here and there. But you have to be a top player. You have to show that this offense can get you a long ways and all. The only thing holding you back right now is not the O'Neill Cruz injury, not the Spencer Horwitz injury, but the bullpen. Yep, that's it. The starting rotation. Paul Skeens has gotten better. He wasn't bad. He's gotten better though. Brax and Ashcraft All Star Bubba Chandler starting to.
Speaker 2: Look better.
Speaker 3: Your only concerned there is Mitch Keller. So maybe they make a move or another starter, maybe a lefty starter that historically does well at PNC Park. But this is the time to do it. I know we've said that in years past, and then you get the the bdlcs and the ikf so of the world. I don't want any more initial guys no more guys were referring by initials, bring me in somebody that it is a name that's going to contribute, that's not a like a middle of the road piece, that's actually going to make a difference immediately. And I think they know that it's just going to be a matter of whether or not they're willing to part with the packages that are necessary in order to bring in those names.
Speaker 4: Guys all seriousness, Like I love the Mets as a trade partner. Huascar Brasabon and Luke Weaver obviously names that you should watch, even though Luke Weaver's money is higher. But I think you look at the NL West because I think the NL West is everyone below the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Are going to be like all right on to next year, and if the Padres don't do it, they should. They should.
Speaker 4: But the Padres are interesting to me because they've got Mason Miller at the top, but they got Adrian Moorehane as a power lefty, and they got Jason Adam is going to be coming back from injury, and Jason Adam has been very effective as a reliever, just overperforming every single year. This is a guy who's a vet. And then you look at the Giants. The giants have some interesting names. Ever heard of JT. Brubaker.
Speaker 2: Hey, I thought I thought we weren't doing initials.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Robbie Ray, alliteration thrown at you real quick. Robbie Ray a lefty starter. If you're if you're willing to maybe move a Mitch Keller like I, like I said with O'Neill Cruz, like I I have a feeling they're going to be creative, Like they're going to move a big league piece too.
Speaker 3: By the way, Jason Adam forty four glove guy has a really nice.
Speaker 2: One and he's he's kind of.
Speaker 3: A dog, kind of a dog, really sick glove too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean these are all huge factors, right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: You can't have a guy come in here with a lame glove. Everybody who has the same gloves nowadays you get a forty four custom glove. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you who can't be lame at this trade deadline is Ben Sherrington. Like I think a lot of people have given him a lot of credit for what he's done offensively and out of these guys, but let's be honest. Ben Sherrington's tenure right now is going to be judged on what he does from July sixteenth today through August third, the trade deadline. Like, Okay, you got this far, and it's taken you a long time to do it, Like you have about two to three weeks two and a half weeks for me to give you any full credit, Like getting this far isn't really enough for me to give you many flowers.
Speaker 3: Here's the problem. You say two to three weeks, which you're right getting up until August third, But what happens when things don't go your way in New York or you come back home birth the Cubs and don't have a good series, and then all of a sudden people are panicking in the other direction. That's why we've been advocating to make moves sooner rather than later. So at least you're giving yourself opportunity going down the stretch to win those games that maybe you wouldn't win with the bullpen that you have right now.
Speaker 5: But again, price goes up when you do that because you're asking teams to to You have to make it attractive enough out the gate, so to speak, to where teams will say we're not.
Speaker 2: We don't have to move it right now. We might wait a couple of monks.
Speaker 5: Can you can you find enough attractive packages to get a team to do it closer to now?
Speaker 3: Attractive packages? That's the name of this episode.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what, guys, I mean, I think gmbc's job is on the line. I mean, I think this is a very important deadline. We've talked about it in years past, Like.
Speaker 2: Last year.
Speaker 4: You know, there's some some trades that we were underwhelmed by at the very beginning. I mean, the Bailey Falter trade ended up working in our favor, but at the forefront, we're like, what the hell is going on here? I do I do foresee them being more aggressive this year. I just given the offense and how it looks, and given the state of baseball in general, like I'd be very surprised if.
Speaker 2: This team is.
Speaker 4: Is it more aggressive than years past, especially the most aggressive in the Charrington era?
Speaker 5: Aggressive and perhaps creative yea, and how they do that.
Speaker 3: You've also just lucked out this year. Again. We could sit here and cry about the injuries all day, but you never have a guy like as Merlin Valdez come in at twenty two years old and be the staple that he is in the middle of this lineup right now. How long that's gonna last? I don't know. Are people eventually going to figure him out a bit? Sure, like everybody does in Major League Baseball? But the kids hitting three oh nine, three seventy one OBP with over one thousand ops and ten bombs right now and is at bats are maturing day by day. He looks really good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you like, there's some there's some things that there's some specialness to the offense about these things, right, like you know that I think you have to recognize and capitalize on. You mentioned like you never see this, well, we never see this like other teams. Other teams have seen this, but like us as pirate fans, you never see that on this type of an impact back come through seemingly not out of nowhere, because he's always been you know, not always, but he's he is a good prospect.
Speaker 3: I think a certain point. And this is funny because this happened in the last game before the break, where I was watching from the press box and I noticed something in his at bats. When he first came into the league. We were saying, maybe he's a little bit over match. He's trying to do damage on too many pitches right now, and it's not getting the result. He hadn't at bat where obviously hits the grand Slam the game the day before going into Sunday, bases are loaded. They had that crazy inning two, he had one or three to one count, right he takes a massive hack, okay, massive hack, swinging for over the scoreboard, missus. But in that circumstance, no ounts three to one count, bases loaded. He understands, Okay, this is my window to do damage. Very next pitch takes a walk. That's him maturing right before our eyes, understanding where he's at, what pitches he can do damage with, where he can let off his a swing, and then when he needs a little bit, when he needs to be a little bit more selective in order to help out his team. That is a lot to ask for of a twenty two year old, and he's doing it right now. He's gonna hit four or five in this lineup every single day, and I don't think it's really ideal for him to play defense every single day. And that's going to be another discussion. Although he hasn't done terribly out there, but you got to take advantage of a guy like this coming up and having the type of season that he is contributing, knowing what you've gone through already with the injuries.
Speaker 5: Some some real control of the zone is what you're seeing from Valdez polar berry White, which that's a hell of a that's a hell of a handle. By the way, Valdez is letting two inchlow changeups go by good luck adjusting, like he is laying off stuff that typically guys don't lay off of. And I think that that's a big, like big sign that I think he's okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean I think you could also hide him in PNC parks right field in the early part of his career. Uh, you know, he hasn't been horrible, but like you know, that's that's a favorable right field for him. But the bat you just got to keep in and and as I've said time and time again, you have he is forcing the conversation around Marcela Zuna, and that's something I'm gonna be interested in watching over the next couple of weeks, Like how much longer is Barcelo Zuna gonna be in the black and goal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's just something I don't want to talk about, Like we've talked about it so much, and he hasn't the bats that he's put together recently, like he had a decent series against the Brewers when he's playing. That's the issue though, is when he's playing. And also there's with the good, there's also a lot of bad. There's also a lot of strikeouts. There's also the bats. We're like, well, this is what we're getting all season. It can't be once every two months he hits a home run and then we're tricked into thinking like, oh, this is where the run starts. You just don't have the runway. You don't have a long enough leash right now to find out where that is. And I think that's what you're saying, Scott, right is you just can't have him sit on the bench and be a mentor.
Speaker 4: He's a DH only guys, And you know, I think there's other conversations that are going to be had, like Jacob Gonzalez be on this team.
Speaker 3: You's a good point, by the way, this is a really good point. With the struggling defense.
Speaker 4: This is very important move. Good point. Never mind, I take back my mark while you're listening to.
Speaker 3: Around the four one two guys Zack Smith zero airs in the field for Azuna. I've been looking on Fangrafts and Baseball Savant for all this and I haven't been able to find it. But he was able to pull this stat out of thin air, and that's.
Speaker 2: That is very accurate with his stats as we as we've played. This guy knows some ball and it's not just football anyways.
Speaker 4: Guys, in all seriousness, like, you're going to force a conversation around Tyler Callahan too, who I like like, I think Tayler Callahan has been a valuable, valuable contributor here to this team. But you brought in a left handed super utility guy or a left handed guy who could play all over the field and Jacob Gonzalez. So what does that do for Tyler Callahan when everyone is healthy. Obviously, that's good to have that kind of depth that you can rely on in the upper levels. Like if you have to send him down a triple A, that's great. But you know, I think that's a good problem to have, and I think that's going to be a conversation over the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's like all hands on deck, and like if you're not producing, you just flat out can't play, Like like there's sixty five games left, guys like and they're not in a position to let Ozuna roll out a one for fourteen stretch in like critical like at bats or like you know, runners on type deal.
Speaker 2: So we're we're just.
Speaker 5: At the point where, you know, I'm sure some of this is gonna sort itself out.
Speaker 2: Because there's still a couple of weeks. Maybe with I don't know, With Horowitz, I think he's close, Cruise is close. Who knows what happens in the meantime.
Speaker 4: I do want to quickly shout out a couple guys that have moved up recently in the minor league season. I think kicked back off tonight, but we got Murph Gray to double A and Murph Gray talk about a guy that's been a success story for the Pirates. I mean, this is one of the most successful bats in the minor leagues, not just with the Pirates, but all across the minor leagues. He's got the double A and and you don't see too many college bats that the Pirates straft up that high move this quickly because they haven't drafted many college bats at high so that's really good to see. And then also du Scorson, I know his his season in Altuna has been kind of underwhelming, but he's got it off the Triple A and I think this guy has a future as a super utility piece in the big leagues.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it would be criminal to get rid of Murf Gray. I think people have talked about including him in packages. It would have to be something after.
Speaker 2: I would favor Murph Gray over Edward Florentino at this junk.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you this, Scott, if the Pirates traded Murf Gray, would you partake in any criminal activity? Oh?
Speaker 2: What, I brother?
Speaker 4: Oh oh, let's get yourself in some trouble huh oh Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you know who you're gonna call, Not Ghostbusters, no Barrel Weaver and Oakin, because at Farrell Weaver in Oakin they fight for your rights, providing aggressive criminal defense and appellet representation when the stakes are highest, when it counts most experience matters. Call Farrell Weaver in Oakin today for any of your legal needs, Scott. They've gone you out of troubled time and time again. And if the pirates don't do anything at the trade deadline, They're gonna have their hands full.
Speaker 5: It's it would be almost criminal if they did move, Murph Gray, don't you think.
Speaker 4: They would be? I would go back to Italian prison, per Jay Staff.
Speaker 3: So back to the al you go the Italian list.
Speaker 2: You've never left, You've never left the isle. What are you talking about? That's incredible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we're also had a really good point up here. Miller would help, so Montcomery, like, look at the power arms that we would have at the back end of that bullpen. Guys like we already have it right, Like I know the bullpen has been very underwhelming, but like the power arms you'd have in Mason Miller, then Gregor Risotto and Mason Montgomery. I mean, that would be it'd be something to be old there in the back end.
Speaker 3: I want to address this real quick. I don't. I don't. I mean, again, things can a little bit misinterpreted through through text, but I wouldn't compare the two in the slightest one. Tony Blanco Junior is just not going to have a position. Really, this is a guy that they don't even allow to run run full speed because they're he's so big and they're worried that he's going to get injured. I think Murf Gray is a college bat and that has had more advanced skills, and Tony Blanco's more of a project. Uh, like a lot of the international guys are. So I think this is two different categories.
Speaker 2: It's p D literally told Tony Blanco Junior not to run this year.
Speaker 3: They told him like, wow, yeah, they're like if a ball in the gap and he's yeah, it's and I get that, like with with a top prospect and you see like the raw power that he has, but it's more of a project, right, it's more yeah, yeah, it's it's it's more of a project for a guy like Tony Blanco, not saying that he won't be anything. He's still so so young and so raw, but a guy.
Speaker 2: Like swinging it like a full grown man, right yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's and playing playing a solid third base in a position that the Pirates really need moving forward. So I'd like to see what they have in a Murf Gray. It would take a lot to convince me that you need to trade him. Other than that, seth Rnandez is off the board for me, and pretty much. I could be convinced on anyone else to be in a trade package. I've fallen in love with a lot of people in this organization just from getting to know the guys and talking to them and having them on the show. But you have to also understand that this is a business and you got to do what's best for the guys down on Federal Street. And sometimes it takes the risks and it's just something that we're not used to in here in Pittsburgh, and I think a lot of people you can't have it both ways, right. You can't hold on to all your prospects and hope the major league team is better without, you know, dealing those guys and vice versa. Like, you got to pick one direction here and the other the direction that they've taken in years past hasn't really worked in our favor. So I think it's time to turn the page and really move some guys around in order to help what's going on right now.
Speaker 5: You got you got to have the stomach for it, right, Like yes, yeah, it's like, so we'll see if we all have the stomach for it.
Speaker 2: Because if you want them to be bold, and I.
Speaker 5: Think most people do right now. Right then, you've got to be able to live with what that term means when it comes to making trades.
Speaker 3: Well, I also think just you know, and we're we're we're guilty of this as we we cover the minor league system. We have a lot of guys on the show. You fall in love with these prospects and you look you watch the games and you look at the box scores and you're like, there's no way this guy is going to be bad and you want them to be in the black and gold, and it's just minor league baseball. The reality is most a majority of these guys don't work out at the pro level. Sometimes it's just a product the circumstances. Guys fizzle out. This game is really tough.
Speaker 5: Is just traded We just traded for one today, yep, I mean hasn't worked out.
Speaker 4: This is why I get so infatuated with the draft, because this is this is it's important to have good drafts, like you got a recognize talent and continue to churn it out year in and year out, and that's your opportunity to add twenty plus guys to your system that can replace other guys right that you want to move.
Speaker 2: To improve the assets the major league level.
Speaker 4: So, you know, I think they did a good job this year, Like they they a solid job. I would give it like a B B by Thiss maybe, but like they added a ton of college players in this draft, and it made me think, like they're really trying to supplement that upper level depth that they have right now, especially the arms.
Speaker 2: So what is in what is in the works right now now?
Speaker 4: Are they working to deal some of the arms that are currently in the system like that. There's a lot that you could speculate from this draft because while overall was a college heavy draft, the Pirates were one of the most college heavy draftees this season.
Speaker 3: Scott, why don't you address this real quick?
Speaker 2: It definitely changed the strategy.
Speaker 4: Like I think I think Justin Horowitz would have taken Eric Booth with pick five or a high upside high school player like that. He was more of a big swinger and he hit like he got. He hit on every pick his first round picks. But I think Kevin Graham's went more safe this year in terms of strategy, and you saw that with the twelve out of twenty one picks being college arms, fourteen of them total being arms two high schoolers, but the college arms were the safe picks this year, and I think nil and some other factors had to do with that.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, like, I don't think just In horriwsold have went Derek Curile.
Speaker 4: It picked five, and I maybe if you went college, Betty when it went Drew Burris with the higher upside college guy. But I think Curial is a high probability Outdolder in the big league.
Speaker 3: Scott, you mentioned all these arms. These are Friday night starters too at the college I mean.
Speaker 2: That premier college programs, right.
Speaker 4: You got Ryan Moron from NC State, Tyler Fay from Alabama and NASCC.
Speaker 2: You've got Rowan Leto from San Diego State.
Speaker 4: You've got Liam O'Leary from Saint John's who's one of the top Big East programs every year. Like they've got some pretty experienced arms that have pitched at the highest levels and deep into the college season, into Super Regions, into the College World Series, So you know, I expect them to move quickly. You look at Connor Whitgriff, who went was at a big TEP program like Minnesota. This is a pitch ability lefty like you know, his college career wasn't anything close to like a Tyler Fay or Ryan Moron, but look how quickly he's in Triple A right now.
Speaker 2: And this is a guy that I.
Speaker 4: Expect to see big league innings from in the next year or so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why don't we talk about Cleveland real quick because we're getting into tomorrow. I don't know if they're going to play tomorrow with how this smoke looks. And I don't know if you saw a picture of Cleveland right now, I mean some mighty yeah, some might look at the smoke in Cleveland and just say, well, that's just what Cleveland looks like right now. It's worse than it usually is. Okay, I know, it's just such a bad, terrible smoke. Eat the smoke?
Speaker 2: Does it a favorite? Because who the hell was to look.
Speaker 3: At Cleveland right exactly? It's actually not a favorite. It's a little band aid on it. But the boys are already out there and I saw them. Some people get some work out in the field today and tomorrow is supposed to be really bad. Hopefully they play tomorrow because Saturday there's some rain issues as well. But Scott, who are we facing this week? Walk us through. What arearson all you're getting in the scouting report on the starting rotation?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, I mean Friday tomorrow, if they play, it's gonna be two power arms.
Speaker 2: Jared Jones with Skevin Williams. Agevins has had a good.
Speaker 4: Year ten and four three eighty one ERA one hundred and thirty four. K's can spin the ball really well. He's a power pitcher, has elite velo with improved strike throwing this year. The sweeper is his primary primary put away pitch. I mean, this is a guy that can rack up double digit case pretty easily. I found that they've done pretty well with these type of guys this year.
Speaker 2: So we'll see that.
Speaker 4: On the contrary Saturday, they got Braxton Ashcraft versus lefty Joey Cantello, and this is a guy they struggled with, the soft tossing lefty.
Speaker 2: He's done really well this year.
Speaker 4: Kind of emerged as a middle rotation guy eight and four with a three fifty six e R. We'll top out it like ninety three ish, low nineties to mid nineties at best, but he's got plus swing admissibility due to his deception and especially with the change up to that he throws twenty seven percent at a time.
Speaker 2: That's a big pitch for him.
Speaker 4: He's his improved command has has really helped him a lot this year. Missus bats an above average rate, but especially with the elevated fastballs at the top of the zone because it gets a lot of carry. But let's go to Sunday Paul Skeins versus Tanner Biby. This should be a good one, Tanner Biby. You see Santa Barbara product three and nine this year the three ninety e ra Elite command of all pitches rarely beats himself with walks sequence as well, but generates generates a ton of weak contact as well. But fly balls can become an issue with him if the fastball leaks up. So that's a guy I think we can elevate and celebrate on. But this isn't gonna be an easy task. Guys like two power arms soft tossing. Lefty Cleveland just knows how to beat guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could get all this and more if you just go to Bucobanter dot com and you put your email address in for our newsletter, hit submit, go to your email and then opt in. This gets sent to your inbox before every series, along with every other Bucko banter, update your last weekend to get the yellow Bridge Vintage shirts as well. So if you go to Yellowbridge Vintage dot com, make sure you get those because once they are gone and that sale closes out, they're gone forever.
Speaker 2: They're fantastic quality. They are the most comfortable shirts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not just saying that because it's a lab it's really good quality. Yeah, no, it is.
Speaker 5: I was blown away by, like, you know, the the fabric that they used, and it wasn't strip district.
Speaker 2: Type stuff, you know.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's it's it's good stuff guys. And then we'll be in Cleveland this week. Scott and I will be there. Debo will be in the Cincinnati trip this weekend. It's just myself and Scotty. We're gonna head up early Saturday morning. So if you see us around the park, come say hi. Hopefully the weather holds up and the Buckets got us some wins. There anything else that I'm missing? Oh, we got some stuff to promote, all right, couple of things to promote.
Speaker 5: Yeah, before we get into the promotion, let me add one more thing about Cleveland. They play on some pretty tight margins, Like, this is a team that doesn't score a lot of runs. They've only one team in baseball has scored less runs than the Cleveland Guardians, And yeah, so that was It's the Padres, by the way, that are last. But they also are a little stingy on the pitching side. I think top six to seven and runs allowed. So this is going to be a tight series. But this is a team the Pirates can definitely if they're playing well, going there and and show up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm really really excited for this trip. In this second half, guys, and going back to the promotion, shout out a polar Berry white here like the video subscribe tell a friend to tell a friend July twenty seven. All right, July twenty seventh, Scott, what date is it?
Speaker 2: July twenty seventh.
Speaker 3: Okay, that is a Monday versus the Arizona Diamondbacks, and boys, we will be at the top of the rotunda because it's the Wolf Game. The Wolf Game is back. If you have to ask about the Wolf Game, maybe the Wolf Game's not for you, but I will tell you, just come out if you're brave enough to come out to the Wolf Game. If you have that dog in you, that wolf that lives inside of you. Put on your best wolf T shirt, wolf paraphernalia. If you will get out there and come to the top of the rotunda and how with the boys. Okay, we're the dog days of summer. You need it, The boys need it, the pirates need it. They count on you for the wolf game.
Speaker 4: Last year Chased Clayton kershot up P and C Park and his last appearance in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: Come out.
Speaker 2: You don't even need two wolves inside of you for this one.
Speaker 3: Just one, just one, that big dog. You need, the big dog Wolf, the Alpha r A. I got a sick wolf shirt. I had one last year that I just got off an Amazon because I'm I guess you know, we'll see where this goes. I went over to our friends at Z's the other day on the South Side, got an awesome vintage wolf T shirt. I am so excited to bring this thing out. Guys, it is ridiculous. And I know a couple of other people that have just gone they I know Debo might have multiple outfit changes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Divo goes on it's he's a fashionista of the crew.
Speaker 2: Well, he just goes into his closet and looks and sees what's already there.
Speaker 3: He's got a bunch of Wolf t shirts. As it is. Last year was pop night, So when we were howling at the top of the retunda, the dogs, we got dogs going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we kind of caused a little bit of a scene there, but it is what it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're not going to be doing our normal Bucco banter stuff. We will be one hundred dedicated to the Wolf game. So we will be again at the top of the rotunda. You don't need a ticket there. You shout to get in the stadium. That's it, ballpark, past standing room, go to the top of the rotunda. Everybody's welcome. It's going to be quite the day, and we are really really excited for what the second half holds for Bucco Banter in the Pittsburgh Pirates because since we've been doing this this is year three, we haven't been playing meaningful baseball at this point. All right, showing up to the stadium sometimes was a grind. We do it. We're crazy people. We do it. We try and make the best of it. But this is when we go, now, right, this is when we go.
Speaker 2: You show bodies our bodies are ready.
Speaker 3: We're ready. We've been preparing for this our entire life. I'm urging Pirates fans to show up and make PNC Park what it's supposed to be. And that place is rocking when it's full. And you got a little bit of a taste of that during Country Weekend when they were out the stands a little bit and the people are getting a little bit rowdy. Let's keep that going. Let's get some button.
Speaker 2: Can I address this real quick?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had Jackson Wolf a lefty picture from Yeah.
Speaker 2: We had a lot of hopes for him. I thought, yeah, he's a tall guy, tall, tall lefty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we'll dedicate this series to Jackson Wolf.
Speaker 3: I want to say this too, if any player will clip this, if any player is listening right now and you don't know about our game, hey, you never know who's watching a clip on Instagram. I'm not expecting you to tune into this episode. But if you're if you want to go in all this season, if you want to go all in, get a Wolf t shirt, show up to the stadium and you know, honor the pack, become a wolf pack, right and and really show the fans that you're serious, because a wolf pack is strong guys. Right, When people are are really connected and they're they're fighting as one. That's and you really start winning some games. If we can get the team behind this, I mean, Jake Mangham put on a wolf t shirt show up to the game, will absolutely do it. Yeah, just you know, throw up the wolf Oh just real quick. Okay, that's all it takes. Maybe some howling along with raising the cone. I think that's all it takes. And maybe we have something here. Maybe we don't, but I know we do, Okay, I know we do.
Speaker 5: Think like down the stretch, like the more the more vibes are at P and C Park, the better.
Speaker 2: Ben asked me today, is like that he goes, he goes? Is the is the is the Is.
Speaker 5: The vibe different at PNC Park when it's a playoff game? And you know clearly he has no idea, you know, And I said, yeah, man, it really is like And to treat those to treat some of these games down the Stretch as as important as I think they're gonna be, that would be that would be really cool because I do think like this, this is all these games are kind of quasi playoff games.
Speaker 3: At this point. Yeah, one day at a time. Let's go one and know. Hey, we appreciate everybody for tuning in for this live show. Let's have a second half, boys, let's get after it. Make sure you're subscribed to the channel, like, leave a comment, tele a friend to tell a friend like the video right now. Please, that helps us out a ton. If you're listening tomorrow, make sure you download the episodes. Leave a five star review that really really helps us out. Go to the website, subscribe to the newsletter. Make sure you come say hi to us at the park. We'll do some more cool giveaways. Got a really cool partnership that's going to have some even better giveaways at the park in the second half. So really really appreciate everybody making this thing a reality and continue to push Bucko Banter what it is right now and hey, big things coming right guys, not only for us.
Speaker 2: I appreciate show you guys, especially in the chat here.
Speaker 4: Appreciate you ins for watching, and come out to come out to the Wolf game on the twenty seventh, Come see us the ballpark.
Speaker 2: Let's have a great second half.
Speaker 3: Hey, until next time, raise it, raise it, hoist it.
Speaker 2: Hoist it, raise it, let's go bucks, bed.
Speaker 1: Seats at the Pirates, get it, let me run the base. Yeah, my time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Uh why see years a Lloyer Take my date to my dates or the stick by the plate sitny