Speaker 1: Welcome back all the smoke dugout coming to you live from Philly. MLB All Star twenty twenty six. It's been a fun day and man, we got one of the most say, one of the biggest insiders in the game. Welcome to the show, Jeff Passon.
Speaker 2: Appreciation bagging man Crazy Pe.
Speaker 3: Thank you for taking some time. I saw you.
Speaker 1: You got a little bit of your WOJE off yesterday before the draft. You threw some things out there before it happened. But talk to me about how you got into this space and what drew you to becoming one of the biggest, you know, writers in this space.
Speaker 2: Employment just must like No, that's the honest answer.
Speaker 4: My father worked at the Cleveland plane dealer for forty one years, so I grew up in a newspaper household, and I knew what the business was like, and I fell in love with it at a young age. I was working at a local paper when I was fourteen years old and went to school for journalism, and I just like I wanted to tell stories. I think reporters are in such a privilege place that we get to talk to people who live the kinds of lives that the rest of the world can't imagine, And to me, our job is to tell the stories.
Speaker 2: About what those lives are like.
Speaker 4: And sometimes it's on the court, it's on the field, sometimes it's the stuff off the interests and passions of people. And to me, there's just such a wonderful thing about a well told story. Yes, but I also understand that storytelling doesn't have quite the audience that it did once upon a time, or at least it's evolving in a way where you know, people who are writing four and five thousand words stories don't have jobs anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I got kids to feed, Matt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's more.
Speaker 1: It's the digital form has kind of taken I mean, and to your point, I mean, we grew up reading newspapers or what we saw in ESPN was kind of how we consumed our information. But now social media is how people consume their information.
Speaker 4: I know, and I have like a real cognitive dissonance about that because to me, like sitting down and writing a long story or reading a long story, like it feels like art to me. And you know, you take time over the years and you learn your craft and you understand what you want to deliver to people, and you know, for fifteen twenty years that's what I did and that was my passion. But I'd be foolish not to look at the landscape today and acknowledge that things have changed and habits have changed, just in terms of how things are consumed. And so, you know, I started a new show this year and early on we're just clipping off one minute clips throughout the show and they're doing better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, way better.
Speaker 4: Then the whole show is right, And I'm like, what the fuck is this?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: How did we get to a world where people just want one minute at a time. I could either be the old person who sits there and screams from his porch about that, or I can understand that this is what people want these days.
Speaker 1: So what are some small things? I mean, outside of your show. You can tell us about your show, but what have you kind of done to evolve with the times of how people are consuming their information?
Speaker 3: On the baseball side.
Speaker 4: You know, I think I've tried to marry the two is best I can, because if I'm just going all in on the clips, I feel like that's not who I am, that I'm losing my idea, And I think.
Speaker 1: There's still an appreciation for what your grassroots is being able to write a good story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's been like, the show's been really fun because never before have I gone on camera with people and interviewed them in the long form the way that we are right now. And it's a little bit daunting, and it's a little bit intimidating because if I'm just sitting there in a clubhouse right or in a locker room talking to a guy, I can fumble over a question, I can say some dumb shit and I don't.
Speaker 2: Have to include that in there. Yeah, Yeah, it's all good.
Speaker 4: Now, it's like there's pressure. You got to be really really prepared. You have to know the person you're talking with. You have to know what they want to talk about and what's going to engage them. And it's been a great challenge and it's like it's fun, I think too.
Speaker 1: Once you kind of get the hang of this space, I think you'll realize that it's actually more like sitting next to someone in the clubhouse and just shooting the shit, and if you do fumble, you do fuck up. It's okay because that's the honesty of the conversation and how it naturally flows and.
Speaker 4: It took time for me to get to the place where I don't know.
Speaker 2: If I was comfortable doing that.
Speaker 4: But one of the beauty of getting older is you begin to understand who you are, and you understand that that's not necessarily a fixed thing. Right Like when I was younger, I knew I could write the shit out of a story, and I didn't need a whole lot from the person who I was talking with necessarily to look and to observe and to see things and to talk with other people. But now it's like, if I want to get to the core of who someone is, I have to ask the right questions and I have to understand where they are in their life.
Speaker 2: And it's a challenge and it's fun.
Speaker 4: And in baseball, especially, which is such an incredibly multicultural game, Like you can talk to somebody from the South who grew up steeped in baseball. You can talk to someone from California who's had baseball their whole life. You can talk to someone from the Northeast who maybe didn't get a chance to play a whole lot of the Midwest. And then, oh, by the way, there's a Dominican Republic. There's Venezuela, Anama, Columbia, Cuba, Puerto Rico, and of course Japan. And the way that baseball has spread throughout the world and the embrace that Major League Baseball's had, I think has made the game just so much better for it.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, speaking of that, I think that the MLB is at a nice place right now, a really nice place right now. But there's also a potential lockout looming. It's not potential, is it coming, Is it's happening.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: But here's the thing, and I think this is important for every audience. I try to say this, whether I'm on Sports Center, I should wherever. December first is the day that the Collective Bargaining Agreement expires. I do not believe there's going to be a new deal in place by then. That does not doom us for the twenty twenty seven season. This is just big business being big business, And when you are a businessman, all you're looking.
Speaker 2: For is leverage.
Speaker 4: And these sides are trying the best to figure out how do we get leverage on the other side, how do we push ourselves closer to a deal. So in December, same as last time, you're going to see you know you're going to see arguing, you're going to see all these doomsday scenarios that are put out there, But the real time when you should be getting concern. If there's no movement by mid February, by early March, then the season's in jeopardy. And that's when I'm going to be concerned personally, because baseball, like you said, it's in a great place, right, a really great place, and I don't think anybody who's involved wants.
Speaker 3: To ruin that.
Speaker 1: You obviously are kind of behind the scenes as well as in front of the scenes. But from what you know here gathered people you've talked to, do you feel like there will be some kind of whether it hits before December or not, do you feel like some kind of agreement will take place?
Speaker 4: I'm hopeful, And I know that's not the right answer, the one that anyone wants to hear. But here's the truth, Matt. Right now, there's a system that's been in place since the inception of the Major League Baseball Players Association and the first collective bargaining agreement where it is a free market, and in that free market, over time has changed and evolved, but not since nineteen ninety four have owners tried to implement the salary cap. And last time that happened, the World Series was lost. It was a disaster. You needed a judge to issue an injunction to get baseball.
Speaker 2: Back on the field.
Speaker 4: The only thing that brought people back to the game was Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa in nineteen ninety eight. Like that was a black Swan event and a wonderful thing that happened, but ultimately you can't bank on that. And so the idea that MLB in the middle this is the fight that MLB is trying to pick right now, in the middle of a season in which the Tampa Bay Rays, the Milwaukee Brewers, the Cleveland Guardians are first place teams and playoff teams, where a Chicago White Sox team that lost one hundred and twenty one games two.
Speaker 2: Years ago is a playoff team.
Speaker 4: And I can go on and on, whether it's the Miami Marlins or other small market teams or other low pay roll teams. They're trying to make the argument that there is not competitive balance, or not sufficient competitive balance in Major League Baseball, and that the remedy to that is to restrict salaries of players, which is essentially what a salary cap does.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: I get MLB's argument about small market teams not winning the World Series or advancing deep into the playoffs, like those are facts. You can't deny those. But the question that players ask is, Okay, why is that? Is it because we don't have a ceiling on what teams can spend? Or is it because we don't have a floor where those smaller market teams that just don't spend anywhere near what they could or what others say they should, that they have no floor to reach. And so that's the issue here is they're talking about completely different things. The MLBPA is not going to accept a salary cap. It's just not an MLB right now the way it's going to saying we want a salary cap and we will not accept anything otherwise.
Speaker 2: And that's the conflict that's going on.
Speaker 1: Interesting. I hope, I hope they kind of come to a resolution. And the NBA currently the Jason Tatum Jayden Brown situation where you know, the trade kind of shocked people. There's rumors swirling that maybe they didn't get along. Is there anything what's the equivalcy of that in MLB where guys are getting traded in their prime and you may hear some stuff behind the scenes where it happened because of this, is it? I mean, I'm sure it takes place similar on the baseball side.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, listen, you stick twenty six testosterone laden men in paid, paid ego maniacal like, you know, culture's mixing sometimes, you know, sometimes it's not mix them very well. And at the same time, like the New York Mets, you know want So Too and Francisco Lindoor, there have been questions about how they get along and about how are they going to get along going forward, and both of them came out publicly and said, you know, if the we're not going to acknowledge that there was a beef, but if there was, it got squashed and we're good with each other right now. And yet at the same time, the Mets are in the middle of a complete disaster piece of a season. And so to see that, I think it's illustrative of when you have two guys who are that good, can they coexist? That needs to be, to me, the absolute priority when you're building a team, and it's it's always difficult to know before two guys have spent time together, whether the like, was there a teammate that you ever thought came into your locker room, You're like, I'm a like this guy, and after where you're like, actually, I would like to punch him in the face.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it was the other way around.
Speaker 1: I thought I'd want to punch him in the face, and then he became my teammates.
Speaker 3: But I think this happens.
Speaker 1: And again, you've been covering the sport for a long time and I played on the basketball side. There's always stars that don't necessarily get along.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer, we were never the best of friends by any means, and yet they played together in Detroit. They played together with the New York Mets, and they figured out a way to coexist. It wasn't you know, It wasn't one of those situations where they're gonna, you know, be sitting down strategizing together or learning from each other.
Speaker 2: They figured out a way to do their work and.
Speaker 3: Be expect each other exactly.
Speaker 4: And that's that's all you can ever ask, Right, I don't have to be your best friend, but I would like to be a productive teammate.
Speaker 1: With you, what's the craziest trade you've personally ever covered, one that shocked you.
Speaker 2: I mean it's almost one that it's one that didn't happen.
Speaker 3: Okay, can we hear about it?
Speaker 4: The year that sho Heo Tani was going to be a free agent, the Los Angeles Angels had about a twenty four hour window where Artie Moreno, their owner, was open to trading Sho Hao Tony, and at that point he was going to be a free agent. I think everybody knew he wasn't going to re sign with the Angels. They'd been terrible his whole time there, wasted the prime of Sho Hao Tani, wasted the prime of Mike Trout like he had never even played the playoffs before he went to the Dodgers and the Tampa Bay Rays. Really, Tampa Bay Rays were willing to make a trade that would have included Junior Camonaro and Carson Williams, both of whom were their top prosper at the time, and you know, the Angels front office like they were trying to rush to get this done.
Speaker 2: And it turns out this would.
Speaker 4: Have been the worst trade imaginable for the Raids because you know what happened right after that, Wander Franco and the situation there where he wound up getting charged with Yeah, a little bit of trouble. So Wander Franco, who was their franchise shortstopped with they'd signed to a one hundred and eighty nine million dollar contract. Suddenly he's out of the picture. There were other injuries that happened in Junior Kamenaro's you know, one of.
Speaker 2: The best players in baseball now. So it was the best trade.
Speaker 3: It didn't happen.
Speaker 2: It didn't happen.
Speaker 1: Interesting something I thought that was interesting. You gave up your Hall of Fame vote in twenty seventeen out of protest thoughts that Bonds and Clemens should be in. Other writers didn't walk us through that decision.
Speaker 2: It had been.
Speaker 4: Brewing for a long time because I'll tell you, I was like early in my days of baseball writing, I was kind of on the very Bonds beat. I started in two thousand and four, and yeah, so started in two thousand and four and two thousand and five. You know, saw him hit seven fifty six, seven sixty two, like Barry Bonds was absolutely incredible and still to this day is the best baseball player not named Shoho Tani that I've personally seen. And to me, the Hall of Fame's job is to tell the story of baseball, not just Major League baseball.
Speaker 2: It's tell the story of the Negro leagues.
Speaker 4: It's to tell the story of pre MLB baseball, you know, back to you know, the eighteen sixties when when the whole rackets started.
Speaker 2: It's to tell the story.
Speaker 4: Of Japanese baseball, just baseball around the world. It should, it should be a magnet for fans of baseball. And I just feel like not honoring the people who were the best at the game is a really disingenuous way to tell the story.
Speaker 2: I will tell the story of Barry Bonds as this.
Speaker 4: He was an incredibly talented, other worldly baseball player who was a flawed human being and made a choice that disrespected the game. And we can argue all we want about what performance enhancing drugs are. There's a really blurry line there where what we use to heal up right to get through injuries, versus what we use to enhance performance.
Speaker 2: Where is that line?
Speaker 3: Who makes the line?
Speaker 4: I think the public does, But I think the public's also been convinced you know through years of unnecessary, unnecessary moralizing, that that line is fixed.
Speaker 2: It's not. It's constantly evolving.
Speaker 4: To me, as medicine evolves, society evolves. But this is as much like a mental line as anything. Because pds are cheating, are you willing to cheat or are you not? And Barry Bonds, you know, even if there was not a drug program in place, every baseball player knew if you take steroids, if you're jose Canseco, if you're Mark McGuire, like, you're doing a disservice to the game. And to me, those two stories are not mutually exclusive.
Speaker 2: The Hall of Fame can tell that story.
Speaker 4: It can tell the story of Barry Bond's the great baseball player, but also Barry Bond's the flawed human.
Speaker 2: And the point.
Speaker 4: For me that pushed me over the edge was when the Hall of Fame, before a vote one year, sent out I think it was like a twelve hundred word email from Joe Morgan, who you know, legendary baseball player, incredible and was on the board at the Hall of Fame, and he was essentially saying to all the voters, this place is sacred. Do not let in people who are going to going to ugly it up. And I'm sitting there like, there's some real pieces of shit in the Hall of.
Speaker 5: Fame, like terrible, terrible people, And you're telling me that Barry bonds because he chose to pursue, you know, an area of the game that was beyond things that that makes him, That makes him the worse than Ty Cobb, that makes him worse than people who are racist.
Speaker 2: And by the way, there are already steroid users in the Hall of Fame, like, like, come on, so right there.
Speaker 4: It just felt to me like it was a process that I just didn't want to be involved with anymore. And I have a lot of respect for people at the Hall of Fame. Josh Rowich is a friend, he's the president. I think he's excellent. John Schostakovsky goes to, you know, every big event in baseball and.
Speaker 2: Bring stuff back to the Hall of Fame. I take my children to the Hall of Fame, like I.
Speaker 4: Believe in the mission. I just didn't want to be part of something that I didn't agree with.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's huge.
Speaker 1: Give me your best or worst memory of covering these players, y Puig, What.
Speaker 3: A dick.
Speaker 2: He was?
Speaker 3: You know what those he was dead. I was. I've been in l A for a lot. I heard the same thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was electric, though, like the puig Era, it's a weird one because it came right before the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Got really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I don't I don't know that the Dodgers ever gonna ever were going to win with Pleague around, just because I think that. Yeah, I think there's some people in clubhouses who just poison the well. And I've heard that that from a couple of Dodgers players too.
Speaker 3: Josh Hamilton, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I remember being there at Yankee Stadium the night of the home run derby, and so when I sa down to write, I usually like know what I'm going to say. I usually can figure it out. I remember that night I left Yankee Stadium. I took the I don't know why. I always take the train back into the city like two am. Just gives me some time to think and clear my head. And I get to the hotel and I sat there in front of a blank screen for an hour really yeah, because I was having trouble putting words to what I saw that night. It was one of the most incredible performances I've ever seen, and he was just so talented. And Josh Hamilton's story in a lot of ways is tragic. You know, just did not have the upbringing that gave him what you needed to succeed in professional sports. He's the kind of guy who I think college actually would have been absolutely incredible for because it would have given him a chance inside of a program and with teammates who were trying to win as opposed to get to the next level or the next wrong.
Speaker 1: I don't know him personally, but I was a huge fan of just obviously his game, but hearing about his story, do you know him?
Speaker 3: Did you get a chance to know him at all? Yes?
Speaker 2: Cool, good dude, Good dude, Yes, I think so. And he's just been through a lot.
Speaker 4: And look, people got demons and those things are roaring all the time. And I can't imagine being in Josh Hamilton's head having to, you know, every day, know what your brain is telling you and convince yourself it's the wrong thing.
Speaker 1: See a little offsud, but kind of similar. I mean, I played with lamar Odom, one of the foulest person most giving, kindest, loving, incredible talent you'll ever meet.
Speaker 3: But he battled those demons, and it.
Speaker 4: Makes you feel lucky right that whatever it was in your background, whether it was parents, whether it was friends, whether it was a mentor people who can keep you going in the right direction, and you haven't liked the capacity to process.
Speaker 2: I saw these white like You've lived.
Speaker 4: A life that most of us can't imagine, that that would derail so many people out there, but you lived it. You are where you are as much here because of what's down.
Speaker 3: There, because of that Tim Linscomb, I.
Speaker 2: Uh, I'll tell you what I love.
Speaker 4: Tim Linsgam's dad, Chris linsm And I heard about Tim linccam well before he became a star in the big leagues, because, uh, you know, I've been I've been kind of a pitching nerd for a long time. And I heard from a scout about this kid at the University of Washington who moves like nobody you've ever seen before. And the first time I saw Tim Linscomb, I was like, this dude is like my son.
Speaker 2: I'd say, like five.
Speaker 4: He's like he was probably like at his peak, like five ten, like one sixty five, but just freakishly strong. Do you ever see like those wiry, strong dudes who don't look the part. But yeah, but they just have and and Tim Tim linccam's dad from an early age wanted to create the best picture in the world. And you know, when I saw him for the first time, I wanted to write about him. Reached out to his father and kept in touch with him throughout the years. And Tim Lincecam at his peak incredible, absolutely unbelievable and just it's one thing I love about baseball. You can be five foot six in jose Al Tube and win batting championships. In an MVP, you can be five foot ten and Skinny is a pixie Stick and Tim Lincicam and win multiple sims. Or you could be Randy Johnson at six foot ten or Aaron Judge at six foot seven. Like it's it's not quite basketball like in that regard, but there's a lot of basketball.
Speaker 3: To it to it.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's it's just a question do you have the skill? Do you have the skill?
Speaker 1: Your reporting was instrumental in breaking the Otani interpreter gambling story. That story, along with any others that you worked on that really come into mind as some of the crazier stories you've worked on during your tenure.
Speaker 4: I first heard the tip about Otani's gambling, and by the way, that's how it was framed to me. First tip was Shoheatani might have a gambling problem, and it's like, oh, first, the first thing I think is, oh, God, like the thing that's too good to be true actually is. And you know, I reached out to a reporter with our investigative team, t Thompson, who I knew, and she's much better at that area than I am. You know, She's got sources in places that I don't, and Tish's done an incredible job on this, and she was the one who had the conversation with Ibe Mitzuhara where that like forced the Dodgers to address this in Japan inside the clubhouse, and we were getting ready to run with that story when you know, they reach out to us and say, actually, this is not what happened. Wo Yeah, And so I was I was not quite in the middle of that. But as all of this is going on, I remember I was sitting there. I was at a gas station filling up my tag and talking to Tisha, like what is going on here? And how has this thing broken as wildly as it has? And I just you know, I look at all of this, and we're in such a such a conspiracy loving society that there's a large segment of people out there who still believe that Sho Hao Tani was the one who was gambling.
Speaker 2: I am never.
Speaker 4: Going to entirely discount any story because the world's a weird place. But I just ask those same people to read the thirty something page indictment against Dpay, to listen to the phone calls that were made by him to get money transferred out of that account. There's just a lot of evidence, and if it actually is all a cover up, it is one of the greatest cover ups in the history of the world. And I give him so much credit for covering it up like that.
Speaker 1: You did something that I think is very admirable because we live in such a day and age where clickbait runs and hot takes are prevalent, and you publicly apologize to Atani for we laugh. But I mean, I appreciate because I'm a former athlete and now transitioning in this media space. I see people and I remember as a player, I didn't like it, but I appreciate people who have an opinion and there's always the facts to your opinion. But then when you see that it's not what you thought it was, most people just let it go. You decided not to do that.
Speaker 4: Why would you ever be angry about being wrong? We're wrong at things every single day. And if I'm going to teach my children that acknowledging when you're wrong is the most important thing that you can do because it shows humility and because it shows fallibility, and because it shows vulnerability and all these things that are important in being a productive, contributing member to society, then I'm just a hypocrite if I don't do that.
Speaker 2: And also he was so good and I was so wrong.
Speaker 4: Like there's wrong and there's god damn, you fucked up this one.
Speaker 2: And you know I didn't do it.
Speaker 4: I didn't write that story, Matt for like, I don't care about clicks like that.
Speaker 2: That's the honest to god truth.
Speaker 4: I'm comfortable enough with the work that I do that I don't need validation through numbers. And I've done this for twenty five years almost now, and I'm thrilled with where my career has taken me. So you know, I can lose scoops that I'm fighting for and not beat myself up too badly. And I can get things wrong, but getting it wrong to that level. I had talked with scouts and people who had watched him all spring, and let's remember, like Shoho Tani, this is how.
Speaker 2: Talented he is.
Speaker 4: He really did struggle at the plate that spring, and he decided to make a swing change on the eve of his first season. He was leg kicking with his front leg during spring training and his timing was just all askewed. And then you know, you see it now, the little ankle twist here before he goes. That was suggested to him during the last preseason series that they had against the Angels. They did, you know, they just did a couple exhibition games down in La and Otani changes swing there and that changed the course of his career.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: He deferred nearly seven hundred million dollars of his contract. Obviously, he's probably one of the globally the biggest stars in the world. Is there an estimate estimated amount of money you think he's making per year just all in.
Speaker 4: I mean personally, with all of the advertisements, with all of the sponsorships and stuff like that. I mean it's upward of one hundred million dollars and the Dodgers. The Los Angeles Dodgers are not the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 2: They are the show. Heyo Tani shell Corporation like that.
Speaker 4: I mean, like it's be honest, it's and and hey, good for them.
Speaker 2: They saw what the Angels never did.
Speaker 4: Goodn't They understood that Otani himself is a monolith that the game almost re around him as much as anything. They saw the international possibilities and what they could do in Japan. They saw the business possibilities, and it's it's everything.
Speaker 2: It's the tours, It's the tourists.
Speaker 4: Who come in to take them, it's the merch it's the sponsorships, It's the whole kit and kaboodle. And the Dodgers just last year became the first Major League Baseball franchise to have more than one billion dollars in revenue in one year.
Speaker 2: And they're gonna do it again this year.
Speaker 1: And probably every year after that. He's there when I grew up. Baseball stars are some of the biggest stars in sports. Rigahnison, Barry, Bonds, Dale Strawberry, you name them. Currently, major league stars haven't really broken through this new social media is not new it's been around for a while, but this social media era, why do you feel like they haven't really broken the way NBA guys have and NFL guys have.
Speaker 2: It's been better. I mean yes, like without Atani.
Speaker 4: You know Aaron Judge, nobody's like I get along with Aaron Judge.
Speaker 2: I like Aaron Judge.
Speaker 4: Nobody's ever gonna mistake him for a dynamic personality. And the fact that show he has done it without even like speaking English. I mean he can, yeah, like he's very capable of it, but he chooses not to. I think you might see it a little bit more over the next five to ten years because I feel like the baseball players who are coming up now, whether it's a guy like Junior Camonaro or a guy like Max Clark who's in TRIPA with Tigers and was a top five pick and you know, has has essentially himself grown up on social media, I think they better understand what the landscape looks like in Major League Baseball, just as an institution as a sport has never embraced that, Like it took a long time for batflips to be okay, Like he used to flip your bat and you would get drilled the next time you were at the plate. And some of those rules, I think they're still in place a little bit, but they're going away. I also think that if Major League Baseball does too much, it looks a little desperate, looks a little thirsty, like basketball is just a game that, to me was made for social media, with the clips, with the highlights, with the personalities, with the drama, with the tea, with everything that goes on in the NBA. I mean, let me ask you this, if the NBA were not the NBA, would all the smoke exist?
Speaker 3: Probably not.
Speaker 4: Like you, you grew up in a world where you know, this sort of thing is not just encouraged, it's part of the culture and it's a necessary part of the culture.
Speaker 2: And Major League Baseball's culture has just never been like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, you look at the World World Championship Baseball and just the energy around that tournament and the dancing and the bat flipping and some of the other countries brought to the game, and it kind of made it look from an outside.
Speaker 3: Looking in, like that's the fun part. That's the part that I wish.
Speaker 1: That MLB would kind of, like you said, slowly but surely, just adapt more of that type of energy. And do you see that coming in You kind of just spoked it with that new this next generation of talented players. Do you see come more of that energy coming into the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do think it's like that. But and listen to the World Baseball Classic is awesome. But I think MLB is actually doing a reasonable thing in not making it like an.
Speaker 2: Actual Yeah, exactly like circus. Yeah, And.
Speaker 4: You know, I abide by the scarcity principle generally in my life. Actually, I don't like, I'm not on Twitter all that much. I don't tweet very often because when I do, it's meaningful and it matters, and it's different. And and to me, you run that event every year, it's not going to get tired, but it's a lot of special and that to me is the one part with baseball where I think it's difficult to sustain that kind of energy. It's a six month season and it's one hundred and sixty two games, like, there is a.
Speaker 2: Lot of ball, and so.
Speaker 4: To have that constantly there, I think it would just be tough to sustain the course of all the season.
Speaker 3: You gotta be young. You wrote the book on the elbow.
Speaker 1: A decade later, Tommy John surgeries are still climbing compared it to the achilles issues in the NBA. Is there anything we can do to fix this or is it just wear and tear on the body like it is in basketball.
Speaker 4: I don't know if achilles issues in basketball start because of what happens in your youth, Like do you feel like those are more acute things that as you get older and as you're a pro and as you're playing like the physical NBA game that exists right now, that it's just inevitable because to me, in baseball, this shit starts when they're like ten, And there's a wild incentive in place right now for baseball players, especially pitchers, to throw hard, because if you don't.
Speaker 2: Throw hard, you were not going to get recruited. And it used to be like if you, you know, if your fastball.
Speaker 4: Was at like eighty five miles an hour when you were in high school and you could spot it up pretty good, you know you have good control, you have good command, you were going to get recruited somewhere. Now, even if you're hitting ninety, that's not a guarantee for anything.
Speaker 2: It's it's like I'm serious here.
Speaker 4: And I saw this because my son's playing college baseball, not Division one, though, and.
Speaker 2: I've seen some really good competition.
Speaker 4: He's gone against kids thrown you know, ninety one, ninety two, ninety three, not going to D one, going to Juco.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Really, it has gotten to the point now where if you're not hitting ninety five with your fastball, you'd better have an incredible breaking bowl, or you better have a devastating change up or some sort of outlier pitch because.
Speaker 3: It's not enough. Yeah, it's not enough.
Speaker 2: And so what that does, Matt, is that creates.
Speaker 4: This business down with ten and eleven and twelve year olds where there are coaches who were saying, we will help you throw harder, and they're doing this before the kids' growth plates are closed. They're doing this before their bodies are physically developed and able to handle it. And you compound that with the excessive amount of games that they're playing.
Speaker 2: Around during the sume.
Speaker 1: It used to be it was seasonal when we grew up, as you would jump to another sport and take a little break and play something else, But now it's season I saw this.
Speaker 3: Is maybe four years ago, three years ago, where I saw a story week.
Speaker 1: Kids are options, like they don't even need the surgery, but the parents are having it done as teenagers.
Speaker 4: So that's okay, that is that's an old wives tale that that is not true.
Speaker 3: Really, Yes, where did I see that? I want to say, I saw.
Speaker 1: I thought it was pretty reputable, but maybe it's not now, so that's not true.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, and that was you know, that was one of those things. It's one of the reasons I decided to write the book, like.
Speaker 3: The spell Myths like that. Yep.
Speaker 4: I started reporting this back in twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was.
Speaker 4: I was sitting there, my younger son had just been born, woke up in the middle of the night, given him a bottle.
Speaker 2: It's four o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 4: You know, at four o'clock in the morning, you either have the most brilliant ideas are the dumbest shit A.
Speaker 2: Match, Yeah, exactly. And so I wasn't sure if this was that, but I was.
Speaker 4: You know, at the time, the Toronto Blue Jays had three pictures in their minor league system, and it was justin Nicolino, Aaron Sanchez and Noah Cindergarten, and they were limiting them to like an inning or two per start. And Alex Anthopolis, who runs the Braves these days, was the blue Jay general manager, and I asked him, I'm like, why are you doing that?
Speaker 2: And he said, I don't know.
Speaker 4: And I appreciated his honesty there because what he was admitting was they have no idea how to keep pictures healthy.
Speaker 2: And that blew my mind.
Speaker 4: Like half of the players on a baseball team of pitchers and you don't know what you're doing with them. And here we are, man, fourteen years after I started reporting that book, and they still don't know shit.
Speaker 1: And to back what you asked me when I asked you, I think that the achilles is a part of the wear and tear. Because now basketball, like every other sport, is not seasonal, it's year round. So these kids are coming into the NBA it's a young man's game now, but their bodies are coming in a lot older than their actual ages.
Speaker 2: Why aren't parents taking sports back?
Speaker 3: This is that is a huge question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's not a rhetorical one either.
Speaker 4: I'm honestly flabbergasted that all of us have allowed sports youth sports chi like children.
Speaker 2: We have allowed it to become.
Speaker 4: A business that consumes our lives, and that guides so many decisions that we make. How did we lose the plot so badly that corporations that are making money hand over fist us and our children are not only doing that, but they're dog walking us at the same time, and we're just marching along to it. And I think some of it is like the desire to be good parents and to give our children all the opportunity that we can. But is this the right opportunity or is it just the opportunity that we've been stuck with?
Speaker 3: Is it hurting them at the same time?
Speaker 1: I completely agree, and I've been a big proponent because I feel like now more than ever, there's so many in my sport, at least that there's so many NBA dads that have kids that are playing. I mean, I'll go to a term and I just saw Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, you know, John wall Yep, Brad. I feel like there's so many of us Jamal Prawford that could come together and try to let's try to regulate this. But it's just it's such a big money thing now that as parents, we feel like if our kids aren't involved in sports of their passion.
Speaker 3: They're going to miss out on the opportunity.
Speaker 2: That's what it is.
Speaker 4: And and we and we get stuck with that, like there's only a finite amount of time as a parent that you have inside of that system, right, and we get fired up about it, But we also know we're going to be exiting system pretty so soon. And nobody, nobody has stepped up to fill that vacuum yet. And if they did, I worry that all the companies that are out there making this money would somehow have.
Speaker 3: Them shut up. Mm hm, I agree.
Speaker 1: Quick Hit is first team to kind of mind your favorite ballpark to cover a game at.
Speaker 4: I love San Francisco. Okay, I think.
Speaker 3: The warm a warm night or a chili night, warm knight time. It gets so cold out it's too cold.
Speaker 4: You think of California, it's not real California crazy now.
Speaker 1: In that I always say, because I'm from that, if that, if they had, if northern California had Southern California weather.
Speaker 3: It'ld be unbelievable. Everyone would live, it'd be it'd be it'd be spot worst ballpark. Oh god, there.
Speaker 2: Aren't a lot of bad ones left been redone.
Speaker 4: Trap can't feel probably sorry, I've heard a few of those. They still don't they still don't have a deal in place yet, but i'd like, I'd like to believe. And here's the thing, even even the trap like has some.
Speaker 1: Charm, Like if you like malls, best ballpark food, like, give me a historical ballpark that has like something you have to try.
Speaker 4: As far as food, every time I walk into I'm always gonna call it Comiskey Park in Chicago, every time you walk in Chicago. If you like fried grilled onions, the grilled onions smell that perme to that part like oh.
Speaker 3: On the top of a hot dog a burger doesn't matter, or just playing.
Speaker 4: Bro I'll just mainline that doesn't make a difference.
Speaker 2: Just inject that.
Speaker 3: Shit, buddy.
Speaker 1: Game seven of the World Series. You're going to choose one picture? Who are you taking?
Speaker 3: Not current? Just all time?
Speaker 2: Oh all time, all time? Oh my goodness, see currently.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, I want to say Scoobale, but Miserawski has been unbelievable this season. If I'm looking all time pictures, I want somebody who's going to bring like a.
Speaker 2: Different look from everyone.
Speaker 4: And Randy Johnson's combination of fastball and slider at six foot ten, with the extension that he has, it's just unlike anything that's out there.
Speaker 2: So just because of the traits, I would.
Speaker 4: Go Randy Johnson. I love Pedro Martinez, man Greg Maddox was an artists. These are all guys I grew up with. You know, Sandy Kofax was as dominant as you could possibly be. I grew up in Cleveland, so I heard the name Bob Feller all the time.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'm going with a big unit.
Speaker 3: And he could hit you too, and will hit you.
Speaker 1: That's probably the scariest by being that the pitches are incredible, but he'll lose that every.
Speaker 3: Once in a while.
Speaker 2: And saw John Cruck and the Ulcar game.
Speaker 3: Best interview in the league right now.
Speaker 1: Oh my, he's got some personality that we wouldn't normally think or fun, fun sit down and chat with.
Speaker 4: This is tough because there are a lot of like, there are a lot of good candidates here. I think Pete crow Armstrong is really interesting. He you know, he grew up in LA but it wasn't like the rich kid baseball player, and so he's been through some stuff. He goes out there and plays with his hair on fire.
Speaker 2: But but there's also with him there questions that he has about himself.
Speaker 4: He's not he's not the baseball player who walks out there and says, I'm the shit and I'm going to dominate this game every day. And I appreciate that there's some humility there and that there's some doubt.
Speaker 2: There because it's a very relatable thing.
Speaker 1: It's a very human humanizes them. Yep, best game you've witnessed in person.
Speaker 4: I don't want to be like stuck on recency bias here. Game seven of the World Series last year was incredible, unbelievable. Game six in two thousand and eleven, the David Freese home run game. But the answer is probably Game seven in twenty sixteen, Cubs versus Indians. You know, Roger Davis hits the home run off a role as Chapman. I like, I try not to react very much in the press box, but I just remember that day. I stood up as I saw that going and I just kept saying, no fucking way.
Speaker 2: I was it happened. It was It was almost like, you know, like did that just really happened? And it did?
Speaker 4: And I'm just so lucky to get to see that. You know, I grew up in Cleveland in the nineties and the Indians work every unbelievable like every year, great players, and so it was a you know, for a sports town that's as haunted as it is, I was incredibly fortunate to see that, and that fostered my love for baseball. And so knowing that I get to go to the World Series every year, knowing I get to be at the Ulcar again, that he has to talk to these players, I I do not ever take for granted how awesome this job and life are.
Speaker 1: World Series winner this year? Well, well the Dodgers, three, Peter, are you taking the field?
Speaker 3: Dodgers? Dodgers?
Speaker 2: How do you pick against them?
Speaker 3: Hard?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Are you giving me the field? Like, I don't have to choose who it is. I could get all twenty nine.
Speaker 3: Other seams could be the field.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing.
Speaker 4: The MAC tells you to take the field, but but my eyes tell me to take the dogs.
Speaker 3: Enough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we also have to acknowledge that baseball is a weird game, man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of luck and.
Speaker 2: There's a ton of luck involved in it.
Speaker 4: And the Dodgers' luck over the last couple of years has been fantastic, But their talent is it's on a question.
Speaker 1: One guest you would like to see on our show. That's a good question for you because you get to talk to everyone already.
Speaker 2: So you had any Dominicans on you?
Speaker 3: Not yet?
Speaker 1: Uh No, he have to think back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think Pedro would be incredible.
Speaker 1: I've been talking to his son a lot. He was actually supposed to be he didn't make the trip. But yeah, we're gonna lock Pedro down.
Speaker 2: Pedro would be good.
Speaker 4: I just I just did a show with Junior Camenaro and I like him.
Speaker 2: It was he.
Speaker 4: Really started learning English two years ago. And we sat down and he talked for an hour and a half really, and he talked about labor and he talked about growing up in the DR and it's it's not just a different world because of you know, the financial differences between the US, just the priorities there and how many kids look at baseball is their only way out and what that does in terms of again, the adults who get involved. There are some trainers who were in it for the kids. There are some trainers who were injecting ten year olds with steroids because they know that by the time they're twelve, they're going to be agreeing to contracts that they cannot sign until they're sixteen. So it's you know, Junior's ability to in a second language talk about the brokenness of his country and yet the beauty that somehow still exists there.
Speaker 2: I thought it was really wonderful.
Speaker 3: Still, well, Jeff, thank you for your time.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: We appreciate your work and continued success pleasures online.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: Thank you