Speaker 1: Hi, Catherine, Hi Chelsea, how are you Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm just slowly recuperating from my shoulder invasion. Basically my day consists of waking up, getting into a hyperbaric chamber for two hours, going to physical therapy, and trying to do some sort of exercise, then icing my arm about fifteen times a day. Do I sound like I'm complaining because I am.
Speaker 1: I mean fucking complaining, like shit.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some days I feel really good and then I on Saturday, I really overdid it. I was like feeling really good. My doctor took out my stitches. I went to pete. Then I went for lunch, and then I went for a walk, and then I was like, oh, I'll go to this dinner party. And then I was at this dinner party and like thirty minutes into it, I was like I was in pain agony. I'm like, oh, no, I fucked something up. But I just overdid it. I always overdo it. Yeah, gotta rest, gotta rest.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I have a nice little nurse that comes to my house every night and puts gives me an injection and infusion for my arm to cut my infection. And yeah, it's a lot. It is I feel like I'm in a nursing home.
Speaker 1: Your own home is a musing home.
Speaker 4: Now, well, I have a response from one of our episodes, and then we have a quick caller.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, let's do it. So I just thought this was a cute email.
Speaker 4: Margie says, just listening to your show with Hunter McGrady, and I think everyone spoke about having a piece of pencil lead graphite stuck in their skin.
Speaker 1: Did you have one as well? Now my sister did. Oh, Brad definitely does.
Speaker 4: I just so happened to have watched an episode of Doctor Pimple Popper and there was a woman on her show what a piece of pencil in her hand for forty plus years?
Speaker 1: Apparently, I'm guessing it's gone now. It was amazing. Check it out. Are you into that stuff like the Doctor pimple Popper stuff? I don't like that. I can't watch that now I've seen it. I know what you're talking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but this was the part I thought was very nice. Margie says, keep doing what you're doing. It has changed my life perspective about myself and how I relate to the world. Listening to you speak truth and strength with no apologies about your place on this planet as a woman is infectious.
Speaker 1: No more making myself smaller.
Speaker 4: I've always felt that I was actually six feet tall and ripped stuck in my petite five foot one inch frame. Now I know I am, and I'm gonna love my truth. Keep kicking ass, Marquie, Is.
Speaker 1: This what do you mean?
Speaker 2: She got a pencil removed because of our episode?
Speaker 1: Is this what she's talking about?
Speaker 4: No, I think she's just inspired by you, like just in general the pencil what there was a bit of a shift in there?
Speaker 2: Oh well great, Yes, yes, live out loud.
Speaker 4: Everybody live out loud, and we have some callers.
Speaker 1: That's why we have a couple calling in.
Speaker 4: Oh, a couple that I mess that you met at the Chelsea when you were performing at the.
Speaker 2: Cosmo My Vegas residency. Everybody, My next date is March twenty first.
Speaker 4: While they're Brad and Leslie, and Leslie is actually the.
Speaker 1: One writing, but both of them will be joining us.
Speaker 4: So she says, Hey, Chelsea, I'm Leslie and my husband Brad and I met you recently when you performed at the Chelsea in Las Vegas. We got to say high after the show. I'm a second generation Plates instructor, meaning my teacher studied directly with Joe Plates. I've been teaching since two thousand and eight. I started traveling the world teaching pilates about the same time that I met my husband. A few years later, he convinced me to start online pilates Classes dot com we just call it OPC, and then join me full time to run the company in twenty nineteen. For so many years, OPC was me doing my thing. Everything was my responsibility. They were my clients and my problems. I've always answered my own dms, done my own socials, basically all the marketing, and I still do. I've in the face of the company, even as it's grown beyond only me doing the teaching. Because I still do the marketing, it often feels like I'm on the frontline of customer service or on bad days, dealing with Internet trolls. I know, you know how that goes. I'm really lucky. I love working with my husband. Brad is an amazing CEO and has built an incredible team. I'll admit that during the first couple of years, going from me and my business to we and our business was tricky. When something wouldn't go as planned. I tended to default to shouldering the burden and not sharing it. It's gotten easier, but sometimes I still struggle with this, and I know it's frustrating for Brad. How do you lean more on your team so that the business issues, obstacles and trolls don't feel so personal?
Speaker 1: Leslie and Brad?
Speaker 2: Hi, guys, Hi, Hi did we meet at the Cosmo?
Speaker 1: We did? Mean it the Coso? What a great memory.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 5: I think I grabbed your butt too long though for selfie, But oh that's okay.
Speaker 1: People are always grabbing me.
Speaker 2: I'm not somebody who takes offense to that, but I would not recommend grabbing other women's butts.
Speaker 1: I'm made of teflon.
Speaker 2: So are you guys talking about your dynamic?
Speaker 1: This sounds like a you question.
Speaker 2: Catherine, Like you, Katherine, my ex producer has a very similar dynamic with her husband.
Speaker 1: He's there.
Speaker 2: He does our sound on our podcast, and she's the producer on our podcast. So they work closely together and not just on this podcast, on other podcasts.
Speaker 1: Right right.
Speaker 3: I heard he's got a cool name.
Speaker 1: Yeah he does. His name is also Brad. I'm not going to dignify that with last.
Speaker 4: So I mean, for us, I think it's really about division of labor because this was your personal Instagram before it was the business Instagram. Correct, yeah, yeah, And it was always me as just the person teaching, and then several years ago brought other teachers on and we brought more team on and.
Speaker 5: It's been amazing and wonderful. And I think the hard part is that even when I know that the customer service teems amazing, even when I know I can submit this, I'm like, here, here's where you go. Just chat to them over here, Sometimes it feels like I'm letting people down, do you know what I mean? Like, it's not that the business is letting them down. I take it personally, which is not probably not the healthiest thing right right.
Speaker 4: When you're a business owner, you set up systems for yourself so that you can offload a lot of the burden. And I think that that maybe is like part of what's difficult here. Tell me, Brad, when you read stuff that's like, let's say it's from a troll, something nasty, when you read stuff that's about Leslie, does that.
Speaker 1: Still feel like a personal attack? Does it get to you personally?
Speaker 3: Oh? Sometimes one time we had somebody, particularly you know, out there and that was really difficult for everybody, and the whole team was also aware of it, and we had to make like a team announcement like hey, if this person contacts you, But more often than not, it's.
Speaker 1: What did they say? I mean about pilates?
Speaker 5: I know, girl, I mean it's not really about the pilates. It's really funny, you know. Uh, we got one in last week, which I just laughed at because I had a birthday and I decided I have no fs to get anymore, Like I'm just gonna go with it. But like I wrote an email about like ways to work around with one of our social media if you don't like what's going on.
Speaker 1: I didn't even get specific.
Speaker 5: And someone's like, so you were with censorship then, and I was like, okay, I just told the team. I said, we're not even responding, just block and bless, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really have to like have a little bit of a thicker skin in general for life. It doesn't do you any good to like actually pay heed to any of those comments, regardless of whether they're about you personally or about the business. Like you really, it's it's kind of like a necessary thing to be able to have a thicker skin, not only for you, for your company, for the other people that are working with you and together with you, to demonstrate to them because you are a leader and that requires leadership, and leadership is not somebody who's going through their comments and getting upset about it, Like that's just not that's not part of the equation.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 2: You really have to like have a little bit of a thicker skin, And can't you just block certain people like why are you not doing that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You can, And then they get this particular person just got an army together a.
Speaker 3: School community, so it's not like it's not like they just disappear. You know, there's still very much connected to the rest of the community too, So you know, in that kind of case, it was delicate, But I think.
Speaker 5: You I liked the idea of the thicker skin, So it's just goes like were you born with a thick skin? Like how did you get a thick skin? Because you do do things all the time that I'm sure pissed a lot of people off, even though I think they're hilarious, and you know, like how did you just start to go I'm not going to take that on.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a practice, you have to like practice it. You're wasting your time on someone's negative energy, So you kind of have to look at it like even if you're looking at it in a business sense, like this does not help us succeed any further, This does not help us move the ball any further or closer to where we're going. So therefore it's not helpful.
Speaker 1: And treat it.
Speaker 2: As something that is just so such a like a business problem, not even a personal thing, you know what I mean. Just remove your emotions from from the whole subject.
Speaker 1: Because these people have nothing to do.
Speaker 2: They're sitting at home writing negative comments on people's Instagram. I've never once sat and wrote a negative comment on anyone's Instagram page because that's not how I spend my time. So don't give people who spend their time like that any credit or credence or anything. Just like you have to practice not giving a shit about what people are saying about you, whether it's good or bad, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Because for example, like when we do these episodes like minisodes are regular episodes or whatever, we all have some people that I didn't really like that episode, and then I'll have ten people emailing and be like that episode was life changing. I loved what that person had to say. I loved what Chelsea said about XYZ, Like you do have to remember that, like just because one person is like maybe a crazy person or maybe just like if something wasn't for them, Like that's fine. People feel like they need to give you feedback, but like you don't actually need that.
Speaker 2: And then there's me who pays zero attention to any of the feedback that we ever get on the podcast at all.
Speaker 1: And we're in our fifth season. So there you go.
Speaker 4: Because you know what you like and you know how you want to operate, and you're doing that the way you're saying.
Speaker 2: And I'm not just you know, you have to be successful, like the podcast has to be successful to go on. It doesn't just continue because I'm a celebrity or whatever. Like we actually have to get listeners. But I also don't ever get consumed with what other people's thoughts like And it's a good practice in life, like start practicing it in your business and start letting it bleed through in your personal life. And it's just there's a sense of freedom that people are missing by by paying such close attention to other people's think thoughts about them.
Speaker 4: I will also say, like, because you can't ever avoid the trolls and the noise completely, Like, yes, you have to get a thicker skin, but also maybe there's a system that you set up where Brad, if you're affected by this stuff, like maybe it's not you, maybe it's somebody on your team goes through your inbox before you're going through it, and it's like, here are the ones that you can respond to personally, I already went through and blocked you know, any trolls, any whatever. You're not gonna be able to avoid it completely, but like maybe there's a system in there where it's just like okay, cool, I know, like on the daily I have a team member in they're just like getting rid of the trash, getting rid of the junk mail.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: That's a good idea too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you don't have to read mean things about yourself if you don't have to.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, it's really funny.
Speaker 5: We joke that, Like I love my YouTube because the comments are either just actual questions or you know, wonderful feet back, or just people who are obsessed with like my feet or whatever, and so at least it's all complimentary, like they're weird, but like I'm good with it and so so. But it is interesting, like how on the social platforms there it is like there's someone has to clean up the trash. And if it's going to distract me, then outsourcing that until I can have a thicker skin or intel or never come back again because I have other things to do. That might be the next step so that we can continue to grow because we have so much fun doing what we're doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's really important to remember that. Like we used to use our Instagram accounts like a journal, you know, it's like what you ate today and like what you did last weekend. But especially because you're running a business on this specific account, now that's no longer what it is. So I think I have to treat it like what it is, a business tool, which is how you've been using it the last few years. And it's time to outsource that twenty dollars an hour work of sorting through dms, sending some stuff to you know, customer service, deleting the trolls to one of your team members so you can free up headspace to focus on the big picture of stuff in your business and run your business good good, All right?
Speaker 1: Is that helpful?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely, I think so.
Speaker 2: And just remember the thought like, oh, move forward with this thought. I'm a leader, like we're leaders, think about the responsibility that that entails.
Speaker 5: Yeah that when that, I think, I'm going to keep putting that on replay.
Speaker 1: What would a leader do?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it just gets you out of the actual feeling of it and takes you outside of it.
Speaker 1: So I'm so grateful.
Speaker 5: This is really fun.
Speaker 1: This is really I'm I'm so We're thankful.
Speaker 5: And I think this is a way to think about things moving forward.
Speaker 1: Great. Thanks for calling in guys. Thank you, they're very sweet. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it's like now nowadays, like normal people have to deal with this kind of stuff too, Like it used to be just relegated to celebrities and even celebrities like, Okay, you might get something in the mail that's not very nice, but you didn't have this inundation daily of just.
Speaker 2: Like maybe more of the reasons to just completely block it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what a waste of time.
Speaker 2: Seriously, imagine sitting in front of the mirror and being like, you're ugly, You're ugly.
Speaker 1: You're ugly to yourself for fifteen minutes a day. That's what it's like reading comments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been hearing this phrase around, but that's like, look, but don't stare, so it's like, Okay, I can see that.
Speaker 1: I don't need to like take that on my half, you know. I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, okay minisodes, this is our minisod many goodbye to you.
Speaker 4: I