Speaker 1: Hey, before we get started with the podcast, which is a real good one, I want you to know that I'm doing so if you watch it on YouTube, you watched our Africa series The Professional Hunter. I'm hunting with Morgan Potter. Morgan Potter and I are doing a public event at the Safari Club International Convention in Nashville. This is happening on February nineteenth, Nashville people. So we're gonna do a meet and greet at the Robin Hurt Safaris booth from nine thirty to ten thirty and then we're doing our actual event at two o'clock in the Omni Ballroom. After the event, I'll sign any kind of books or take any pictures if anyone wants to do that. What you gotta do just go to the Safari Club International website.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: To go to the event. To go to the convention, you got to join Safari Clubs. You're joining a conservation nonprofit. You join Safari Club And as you do that, you'll see a process where you then get a ticket to go to the event that Morgan and I are putting on. All the ticket price goes to sci Like this is not going to me and Morgan. We're doing it, but your money goes to support sci Holy and fully hope to see you guys there. February nineteenth in Nashville. This is the me Eater Podcast coming at you shirtless, severely, bug bitten, and in my case, underware listening podcast.
Speaker 2: You can't predict anything.
Speaker 1: Brought to you by first Light. When I'm hunting, I need gear that won't quit. First Light builds, no compromise, gear that keeps me in the field longer, no shortcuts, just gear that works. Check it out at first light dot com. That's f I R S T L I T E dot com. By God, we're joined here by everybody's favorite Kentuckian, the Madman from the L B L.
Speaker 3: At the Clarks River Bottoms.
Speaker 2: Kevin Murphy. Don't forget that. Cheers, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Kevin Murphy joining us here in South Texas, sitting with a fruitcake in front of them.
Speaker 3: Fruitcake made by my master gun smith and duck dig duck call maker Hambone. His daughter made that. That's a Christmas tradition at their family that she makes fruitcakes and he hands them out to his friends.
Speaker 1: So so your buddy hamdbone makes fixes guns, makes fruitcake. His daughter makes fruitcakes, and he makes duck.
Speaker 3: Calls Hambone can do anything. He is a old film mechanics, business mechanic, film mechanic.
Speaker 1: He made the metal red duck calls metal read. He's got a metal hamdbone.
Speaker 2: Where's the what one? Hamdbone? Made this?
Speaker 1: I call it the f FD design.
Speaker 2: Do you want to explain what that to the audience? I tuned it. I tuned it to my liking.
Speaker 3: That's I don't think he likes it.
Speaker 2: I wish I should go get mine liking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let me see that sounds good.
Speaker 2: H too much air?
Speaker 4: You're too much air escape. I'm not too much escape now because it's hitting your mic.
Speaker 2: That's good. God.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's got a metal read in it. Handbone made that. Yes, Okay, Kevin, you're here. We're gonna, we're gonna do You're gonna We're gonna get your feedback on a bunch of things I want you to tell about.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I want you and I want you to pitch your your habitat restoration project, which is I read it as the war against dudes that wait like wakeboarding.
Speaker 2: Uh, It's it's fine to call it like it is. Dude, like it is.
Speaker 1: This is what I call it, your wake boat. Your wake boat is killing Kevin's fishery.
Speaker 2: Let's call it like it is.
Speaker 3: Now, it's more than that. It's it's the it's worse than that. They I'm not gonna say war. It's the Conference Sure against Recreational Boating that has destroyed our Button Bush habitat along our lake shore of Lake Barkley.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna make a T shirt that says, your wakeboard is killing my fish.
Speaker 3: I believe that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just let's call it like it is.
Speaker 1: I probably got dear friends, you know, like when you used to like if you say something bad, you like, some of my best friends are wakeboarders. I think they might be actually, well really it's it's but I think Travis Barton likes that stuff.
Speaker 2: Is a.
Speaker 4: He's one of those guys when I'm up there on Cane Ferry trying to have a nice, nice, peaceful day.
Speaker 1: No, he goes back to he goes back to Minnesota and destroys habitat.
Speaker 2: Just it might be wrong.
Speaker 1: He's a water ski but he might not be a wakeboard awake boat guy.
Speaker 5: The difference between a water ski boat and a wakeboarding boat that that wake is ten times.
Speaker 2: Day, night and day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not gonna start beating up water skiers that come from a long line of water skiers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, they're part of their problem too. It's recreational bowers and marinas that there used to be a for of engineer plan that after July the fourth they would start drawing the lake down because Barkley Lake is a flood storage. Like, that's why it was built after the thirty seven flood.
Speaker 1: If we're just gonna get into this right now, let's get into this in a minute, because I need to we need to tell a full story.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to blame those guys.
Speaker 1: I thought I was gonna wage war on stand up paddle borders, but I realized I don't have any reason to.
Speaker 2: They don't make a wake.
Speaker 1: My only grape with them was I don't when people start doing a thing that didn't used to exist, I always wonder what they were doing before it existed, because I don't do the stuff I do if people have been doing since the beginning of time m hm, recreationally. So when stand up paddle boarding became a thing, all I could think about.
Speaker 2: Was what were you doing before?
Speaker 1: The only thing were you doing before pickleballs? No, what do you mean now, I don't think that those people there playing. I don't think when you see people playing pickleball, I don't think that a few years ago they were playing table tennis or tennis and general. I think they were watching TV.
Speaker 4: Listen, my not that I'm for staying up paddle boarding, but just played the Devil's advocate controversial act of stand up.
Speaker 2: Back, I don't.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's not my thing, but whatever. Back in the day when they were when logging was heavy, heavy, and they were floating logs down rivers, there was always a guy up there with a pole the original sup that that stood on the logs and make sure they all So that's an argument for it.
Speaker 1: Just to irritate me. Back in the day, they were doing it just to irritate me. I think just to irritate me. My wife went and bought our kids to stand up paddles just to stick it to me. And now I gotta like store them and get them out and blow them up and move them around and tie him down to stuff.
Speaker 2: I use them every while. You've never paddle No, so what if you did it and like it turns.
Speaker 1: Out you're like, well, I got to tie him on top of the car all the time for my kids. That might be your things when you see me out in my yard, are gonna.
Speaker 3: Be like, what a hypocritic.
Speaker 5: On a lake just paddling around and enjoying yourself. And I'm gonna say, I wonder what he did before paddle board?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What that guy used to watch TV all day long. Uh, here's a here's a deal. Here's the deal. To chaw on, we have long talked about uh at the podcast here, which has been airing for a century, We've long talked about splitting. We've long talked about splitting the show into news and commentary and interview because now I know we'll have an interview guest on the show and he'll have to sit there. He doesn't know what that Let's say some anthropologists never listen to the show in his life and easier to talk about like you know, Clovis research, and he's got to sit there while we talk about the news and talk about stand up paddle boarding and Kevin Murphy's fruitcake. So the guy's just sitting there like you know, he twddle and thumbs. He feels like he's not in on the joke. Whatever, So we talked about splitting the show. We're officially splitting the show starting in March. Starting in March, you're gonna see two versions of the Meat Eater podcast pop up. You're gonna see media podcast. Is gonna be the news show, which is like news and commentary. Okay, we're gonna cover your news. We're gonna cover our news. We're gonna cover the news. The second drop is gonna be the interview show, where we have on biologists, researchers, archaeologists, authors.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, and then I know everybody hates it. Now and then a politician will come on the interview show, and that'll be a weekly show. The interview show, the normal podcast where we interview experts in various fields of the outdoors. That'll be Mondays. Okay, that's the Monday. That's the regular Monday drop that you know and love. Recently, we had on a guy talking about his book about the Edmund Fitzgerald. Okay, for instance, that which is called The Sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald. That's the interview show. That's Mondays as normal, the news show. Okay, the news show, which again covers your news, so listener feedback, corrections, our news, what we've been up to, making fruitcakes, whatever, and the news, national news, local news, any news that would influence your thinking, influence your actions as a hunter and angler. That's the news show. The news show drops fresh. Okay, you've heard us talk about flops where I'm like, why can't we just make an episode and fop there. It comes out as fast as fill the engineer can get it ready to go, it will drop. So that if we say, hey, in the new it was yesterday, that's what we're talking about, it just drops. It comes out flop when it's ready. The news show hits. It's just gonna be. It hits when it hits, so watch for it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: As part of this, we're drawing in all the brain power. We're drawing in all the brain power and all the story making power of the guys you know from Radio Live. But in order to do this more urgent news show, which comes out when news happens every week, and it comes out when it comes out where sunsetting in March Radio Live, so that we're not held to it being at a specific time. Was it eleven o'clock on Thursdays will no longer be beholden to being like it's live at eleven on Thursdays. So the guys from that, the guys you know in the driver's chair at Radio Live, are coming over to the news show, and we're taking many aspects of that format bringing it to the news show, which is quicker response time. So Radio Live well Sunset in favor of creating a the news show. The news Okay, stay tuned for all that, all the stuff you love. Corrections go ahead.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, I think a lot of people are gonna really enjoy that.
Speaker 1: I think so people will be pissed, people will like it's like everything, just like everything. We had on a guy speak about the you know you can't please Yeah, you can't make everyone happy. We had a guy on the ore day he killed a big, huge buck downtown, but he's also running for governor Ohio. Rob right, Rob saying yeah right. He's like, hey, did you what was the audience response to the interview? And I said, man, I don't look, this is gonna sound terrible. I don't look at comments. I told him out look at comments because I don't want to be captured. There's a thing called being captured by an audience, right, Like you hear people bitching about stuff, and then you change your way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you change your perception, your opinions, yeah, your actions.
Speaker 1: Wish I could pull I'm want to pull this up. He was talking about the hazard of listening to people complaining.
Speaker 2: Let me find this. This is interesting. Someone talk about something real quick, but not for too long.
Speaker 3: What about our dog guard here boys.
Speaker 2: At arch.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be rep behind those three dogs there.
Speaker 2: Okay, check this out.
Speaker 1: I don't get you know, you get certain dudes that just complain about everything all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, one guy was saying.
Speaker 1: One guy commented on the Rob sand episode Rob saying, is uh, he was discussing his faith as a Christian, and he's also discussing how he's running for governor of Iowa as a Democrat. And the guy in the comments section was like, a Democrat can't be a Christian. I'm like, did you read that in the Bible?
Speaker 2: So, uh, we're talking about like people who complain all the time. He sent me this.
Speaker 1: In twenty fifteen. Okay, there were eight thousand, seven hundred and sixty formal complaints submitted to the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport about noise pollution. Okay, So, twenty fifteen, eight thousand, seven hundred and sixty formal complaints about noise pollution at Ronald Reagan Airport. Six thousand, eight hundred and fifty two of them came from a single house in an affluent neighborhood in Washington, d C. In twenty fifteen, that house, members of that household submitted nineteen formal complaints per day.
Speaker 2: Wow, jeez, someone, Oh my god. Okay, they need to pick up the US Listen to this.
Speaker 1: The US Department of Education has an Office for Civil Rights and they enforce civil rights laws related to education funding. In twenty twenty three, they received five thousand and fifty nine sexual discrimination complaints from a single person.
Speaker 2: So they had a total of eighty.
Speaker 1: One hundred and fifty one formal sexual discrimination complaints, of which five thousand and fifty nine came from one person. So one person accounted for sixty eight point five percent of all sexual discrimination complaints in that year.
Speaker 2: Point being you got watch out. Uh where was that going with that? Oh?
Speaker 1: Anyways, we're launching when the new news show launches, we're going to launch a contest called Corrections of the Week. You can win correction of the week by catching us being wrong about something. And it could be that we're wrong, or it could be an error by omission right, an error viral mission. And I explain what that means in a previous episode. Uh So, here's some corrections from the recent apple. I'm gonna skip ones who already kind of covered it, and the guy's wrong, and the guy's wrong.
Speaker 2: From our most recent episode. What was this one called?
Speaker 1: We had a recent episode and we had a segment on there called Skunk's Ruined a Marriage? And I was talking about a guy whose wife wants to divorce him or his marriage is getting rocky because he's taking up skunk trapping because the skunk prices are so high his wife can't handle the constant smell of skunk's around. I comment that I think he just needs to tell her baby trapping season don't last.
Speaker 2: All year long.
Speaker 1: And some smart alec thinks he's got a correction.
Speaker 2: He looks up.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let Seth explain why I'm gonna correct his correction. He corrects it and says, hey, I caught you. Oklahoma's uh lists skunks as being open year round, no daily season, no possession limit, no bag limit. So ha, you're wrong. Trapping season is all year seth.
Speaker 4: Their hides are only prime for a certain part of the year. Turned to correction, only worth money for a certain period of time.
Speaker 1: When they're prime, when they're so correction in your face, buddy, what are you gonna call it?
Speaker 2: Corrected? Correction? That's one I don't know.
Speaker 1: Then I win something I win, We give him a prize, and then take it back, take it back, this guy says, I was saying.
Speaker 2: He says he was a guy. I was saying that.
Speaker 1: He was like saying, now, I'm no Jeremiah Johnson, but I'm a pretty good trapper. And I said, Jeremiah Johnson isn't held out as a good trapper. He doesn't put up numbers. And I was telling him, if you were like, hey, I'm no John Graham, I'm no Mercer Longing, I'm no Craig O'Gorman, I'm no Slim Peterson, I'm no Mike Marciada.
Speaker 4: They're good trappers. He was saying, I'm no famous trapper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said, I'm no Jeremiah Johnson, but there's no reason to believe Jeremia Johnson was ever.
Speaker 2: Good at trapping. He catches like.
Speaker 1: He comes in with a beaver one day and his wife acts. His wife looks surprised. It was around that time when he shaved his beard and it was giving her like he had to shave his beard because it's make irritating her face. He comes in with a beaver and she looks like, oh my god, he got one. I'm not making this up.
Speaker 3: I know the saying.
Speaker 1: There's another scene where they're hout of food and he tells Caleb, his his boy, that the mute boy he takes under his wing. He says, take note of where I place those traps and go fetch us some real food.
Speaker 2: That's it. You don't see him.
Speaker 1: He don't have a big barn full of three hundred beavers he caught, no reason to believe he's a good trapper.
Speaker 3: I think she might have been serving him up some saltkeek yep.
Speaker 1: No, she was always making a flatbread out of corn meal.
Speaker 2: He didn't like it.
Speaker 1: So then this guy comes back, Steve, you are mistaken. There is a scene depicting Jeremiah Johnson as a successful trapper. If you have watched it nearly a thousand times like myself, you would know it's not narrated but clearly depicted.
Speaker 2: Good luck on future screw ups. Wow, man, this guy like trying to stick it to.
Speaker 1: Me is no, I'm a Jeremy. I'm Jeremiah Johnson through and through.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: It's a great movie. There is no reason to believe that Jeremiah Johnson is a good trapper.
Speaker 4: Did he say where in the see has no facts to back it up.
Speaker 2: So in your face, buddy on prize withdrawn, prize revoked. Good Luck on future corrections.
Speaker 1: Joined today by Seth Morris, County, Max Barta, and Chili Pecante not Chili Pecan. Here's a real correction. This is a real, flat out good correction. This guy wins Craction of the week and this is what I deserve and it's he's right. Comes in from Texas Parks and Wildlife law Enforcement, from State h q M all the way from the top means business. He says, I was listen to the latest podcast this morning.
Speaker 2: This is an old one.
Speaker 1: We've been sitting on this one because I wanted to do the correction from Texas so it felt real. I made a comment in a past episode, saying that Texas has a law that allows you to cross property lines to retrieve game if you're unarmed.
Speaker 2: Okay, common law.
Speaker 1: Where I got that was I remember we were hunting sand hill cranes up in the Panhandle, and I remember I hit a crane and it sailed off but went down across property lines. My buddy said, go ahead and get it, but leave your shotgun on this side of the fence. The warden wrote in he says, I'm not telling you that didn't happen, And maybe your buddy had an understanding with the neighbor, but it was just like a permission we got. So maybe my buddy was wrong, So I'm not telling your buddy didn't say that.
Speaker 2: But that's not true.
Speaker 1: In Texas, you would have to secure permission from that neighbor, armed or unarmed, to cross his fence to do retrieval. That is not You do not have that right in Texas. There's not a retrieval right in Texas.
Speaker 2: Can you do that? In South Dakota you can.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you have to just leave your your shotgun or whatever on like you're hunting ditch chickens, like hunting the ditches in South Dakota, which is legal. If you gets up flies over shoot it over the neighbor someone's property, you can go get it. You can cross that boundary, but you have to leave your gun like in a public spot. And most state is that South Dakota.
Speaker 2: Can bring your dog with you too. You know, that's a great question. I don't know if the dog is allowed. I'd rather bring my dog over than a buddy. Yep. Yeah, I'd be curious to know if you could like just send your like, send Ruby out there.
Speaker 4: To go to the reason.
Speaker 1: You probably can because in most places, if a dog, a dog doesn't get sighted.
Speaker 5: For trespassing and a dog isn't armed either, Yeah, well mine is well, but uh yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So just for for folks to keep mind, this is a real state by state issue retrieval. There's places where retrieval is allowed. I can't think of one of the states, but I remember guys saying that he lived in the state where retrieval is allowed, but he was saying at a courtesy he would never do it. Oh it was the guy that has that little postage stamp piece of ground.
Speaker 2: What state was he in? Oklahoma?
Speaker 1: You found his property? No, doctor Randall on X somehow Randall found the property. What state was that guy in? I think either way, it was a state where you were retrieval is allowed. So you you shoot a deer, deer runs across fence in this state, you could go get it. So there's states were retrievals allowed. Their states were unarmed retrievals allowed, their states were retrieval is not allowed in states were retrieval is not allowed. I would recommend if you had that situation, you might step one, ask for permission for retrieval. If you are denied retrieval permission, I would do a step two. And you're not calling up to complain, but a step two would be called your local game warden. Explain to your local game warden here's what happened. Maybe the game warden, if he's got time, would have better luck having a conversation with the neighbor to say, I will accompany the hunter or will you allow me to go over and drag it back over? That might be a good step to take.
Speaker 3: So let me chap in here a little bit. Please, you remember amish Jason went rapt with us. Yep, his family, well, he looks homish. His family got into a little scuffle. The sixteen year old son shot a dacent buck. It ran over to the neighbor's property that was leased to some dudes from out of state, and it died, and before they could get it, those guide guys they scooped it up. The landowner, the rental guys out of state buck it up, and then it's like they kind of had the picture of the deer on the trail camera, and then all of a sudden they meet them at the like at the gas station. They've got the deer in the back of the of the truck and they're taking pictures and stuff of it. They see it. Then they get the game warning involved, and then that's when they find out that in Kentucky there's no you've got to have landover and permission. When that deer goes over there and dies, it becomes that landowners deer got in Kentucky.
Speaker 2: So what wound up happening.
Speaker 1: Every game is deer back.
Speaker 3: I think eventually got his deer back because the outs anyways, it's like, man.
Speaker 1: Picture the world in which you'd have it stuff down the wall and be like, oh sweet, where'd you get that buck? Well, the neighbor kid got it, but I took it from them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the dudes pour in from out of state here in Kentucky now, and they pay absorbit at prices for land into like three or four thousand dollars a weekend to hunt to shoot a one twenty five light tail, and they do not want to go home without something that all the money that they've invested feeding deer. I worked on a project over in Critney County, and I was amazed that come in August September, all the trucks from out of state that would come in with just a damn pickup load of deer feed and deer feeders on our start feeding the deer and doing that. So it's a huge industry in Kentucky that everybody is like, it's under the radar. Nobody wants to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Nothing worse than a dude hunting out of his own states.
Speaker 2: You can't see that. You should be illegal. You can't see it.
Speaker 1: That tell you that straight from Texas. Oh guy had this a little bit just to circle back on this skunk situation. Then we're gonna put the skunk situation to bed. This is I think this is a wives tale. Say water witching. Kevin and I had a long argument. Kevin believes the water witching.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I do not.
Speaker 3: My friend David Johnson, he is a supreme water witcher.
Speaker 2: Don't don't take the bait he's going to be on.
Speaker 1: You're taking the bait. I was trying to rage bait. Yeah, how fast you watched the guy of water witch.
Speaker 3: He's written several Me and him. We went out there and there's zones of concentration, got them zones of concentration, and that's where are the first American hunters, the first Americans, they would build their camp sites a lot of times on zones of concentrated water. Sure underground, not great.
Speaker 2: They have to do with water witching.
Speaker 3: He can once he finds goes out in that like the mega complex that we're working on. He went in and water witched it. And that's where we're concentrating our digs. And that's where we found the bottom tusk of a mastodon in the shape of a penis.
Speaker 1: I can't argue that, dude. I tell you, I believe everything everybody tells me. So now until someone tells me it's fake, I'm gonna tell him it's real. Craig you know what Craig saying. Craig Clay. Clay don't like any kind of thing that has to do with sorcery, you know, so he don't like it when you call it witching. I was telling you this he calls a thousand because he thinks witching makes it seem like a black art, a dark art. Anyhow, Skunks guy writes in to say this. This is a correction. It's a hot tip, he says. My dad traps skunks during World War Two for the government. He'd sell them to the government, he says, to make parka hoods eh that could be true. They had a skin and shed off the barn, and they'd have a fire burning and a barrel. It would throw a wet slice of this is I'm gonna read this verbatim because he's got some clever punctuation in here, which is proper. He says, and would throw a wet slice of I'm pretty sure alfalfa hay on the fire to make it smoky, continuing the quote, that would kill the skunk, smell in the skin, and shed off the equipment as well as the skins.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I think it would.
Speaker 5: Mass the central it would complexify the odor, Yeah, I would.
Speaker 2: I think it would complexify the odor. I don't know that it would neutral the odor.
Speaker 6: We're just mixing different smells together.
Speaker 2: It smells, that's all you really don't. There's some good.
Speaker 1: When I was a kid, the lower was tomato juice. Now the hot money, and I think it's legit. The hot money is like hydrogen peroxide, don dish detergent, and there's a third and bacon soda, and you make a frothy shampoo and skunk trappers. When they get one, it'll spray. You'll legit. They'll make up that little concoction. I've tried it, and I thought it was like it didn't eradicate the smell. But they'll make up that concoction and no joke. Give that skunk a little bath and it's frothy. You scrub them down in it interesting.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe you should try that, same as marriage.
Speaker 4: I got sprayed by skunk one time and just left my clothes outside for months. Yeah, so I just went away.
Speaker 1: I had a guy telling me a story. You might have been there when he told us the story. He threw some clothes out in the yard because it got sprayed by a skunk and waited so long that the upward facing part of the clothes had begun to bleach, so that he said, when he lifted it up, you could tell the.
Speaker 2: Parts of the clumpered up, crumpled up clothes.
Speaker 1: You could tell the parts that had got sun bleach and the parts that hadn't, because it got like a tie die appearance to it. And he said he smelled that some of a bitch and still smelled like skunk. Oh, really, it's what he said. It's what he said.
Speaker 3: I've got a good skunk story.
Speaker 2: Please be sure you do with all your dogs.
Speaker 3: It's probably like nineteen eighty seventy nine, maybe eighty one. Furt prices was up pretty high, and everybody was trapping and had some kind of mongrel dog and stuff. And I had a dog named Artie, and we'd go out at night and you could get six dollars for a big possum then. So we had got out one night and roamed around and he loved to catch a skunk and he'd got into the skunk. And I come back home and it was probably like eleven thirty twelve o'clock at night. I'm creeping in the door open up the door. I'm still living with my mom and dad, and we got a pretty good sized house and they're on the like very back end, and like I know, more than get like ten feet in the house there, and my dad's screaming at me to tell me to take my clothes off that he can smell that skunk on me. I go back outside, strip my clothes off, and go in and take a shyer. But I mean, it was that quick. As soon as I hit the door, they got in the back of the house. They can smell that.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: It is just I have immense respect for that solution.
Speaker 2: That liquid in a skunk.
Speaker 1: That I mean, I don't think that a human could make. I don't think in a lab you could make as pugnacious or resilient of an odor in a laboratory.
Speaker 2: That stuff too.
Speaker 4: Like when you smell skunk at a one hundred yards, it smells like skunk, but when you really get in there.
Speaker 2: It turns into something different.
Speaker 1: My dream is to get real mad at someone and skunk them. Well, I just want to take a hypodermic needle of skunk and just give a little and put that inject it into their car seat.
Speaker 2: Oh god, cause you know.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine they would look and look and look, you could find it, right, it would never stop looking and they'd never find it.
Speaker 2: What's that liquid even called skunk scent?
Speaker 1: Well, if you went to buy it, if you went to buy it, you'd be buying some skunk. Okay, Right now, I'm making a thing called I'm not in the market.
Speaker 2: Well I am.
Speaker 1: We've had it, Well, we've get we sold it in the auction house of bodities.
Speaker 2: What did it go for? I don't remember.
Speaker 1: I'm making a thing right now called the Nelson formula. It's a it's a kyote bait formula I'm making. And the first step is you grind bob kept meat and you put it out to taint. You put a taint on it. Chili thought it. Chili literally put his taint on it, not realizing that what I meant was you put it.
Speaker 2: He thought it was. When I said we're gonna put a taint on it, I'm just out there spreading agle.
Speaker 4: Turn.
Speaker 1: I said, no, no, Chili, well, we were going to ride it ever so slightly.
Speaker 2: Were not gonna put it. We're gonna let it taint. We're not gonna put a good in this shift bad judgment right there. But that's the guy. He's quick.
Speaker 1: You know, you tell me somebody doesn't. I'm putting a taint on it, right. This is part of a broader project. This is part of a book. This is part of a book project. I'm beginning about the history of and characters involved in the American fur trade through time, right since the beginning of time. When they established Manhattan, it was a beaver. They established Manhattan. It was like a beaver trading outpost.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So as part of this thing that's like a fun little bit, I'm making this very famous bait formula called the Nelson formula. Step one is you take some bobcat meat, chunk it up or grind it down, and then rode it in your garage for a long time. You take a glass jar philip, glass gallon jar Philip two thirds full and start ritting it down. Dardelle's making my daughter and her friends smell it. They want me to make oh Yanni's daughter, Mabel and Rosie. They wanted me to make smash burgers for dinner. And I told him I was gonna make cat smash burgers out of that burger spake of smellad my daughter, do she want to go near that jar?
Speaker 2: And behind his daughter's stuck her?
Speaker 1: What else is in the bait? So then once you get you make a solution. So you make you grind up the cat meat and let it taint. Then you make a solution in another jar. And the solution is comprised of pure rain, water, fine red fox, piss, valerian root, some the other root called like a feeda. Some people say it gives you the ships, and some people say it cures the ships.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't want to try it up. Yeah, I want to clarify that.
Speaker 1: I ordered something it's hard to find. I'm sure a tincture, so it's been a word. I don't like tincture. A tincture of this root that goes in there. And in the Nelson formula it was real smudge. And I couldn't tell if it meant twelve bounces or a half ounce, And Mercer Long told me definitely a half ounce.
Speaker 2: You wanna put twelve bounces of that stuff in there? Fox?
Speaker 1: So I said, fox, skunk, essence, beaver, caster, vlarian root, this other root, what else is in it?
Speaker 2: That's it?
Speaker 1: And I took a bunch of beaver casters and cured them in moonshine, so that seeing that I took a sip of it, that took me eight hours to get that taste out of my mouth.
Speaker 2: I can imagine that moonshine I think he has.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if someone had it in him to drink the hydrome test it to see where.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if someone had it in him to drink enough of that moonshine to get drunk off that beaver caster moonshine, I would have a lot of respect for that individual.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might even grow a tail.
Speaker 1: So that's the Nelson Why am I even talking about this? The Nelson formula?
Speaker 2: What the hell is I talking about talking about?
Speaker 1: The one part I don't have is the skunk castens. I gotta go secure me some skunk casts.
Speaker 4: We've had years where we couldn't get away from.
Speaker 2: Skut I know thicker thin not this year, rich and poor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of bobcasts, I got two other observations about bobcats.
Speaker 2: Doug Derren.
Speaker 1: Introduced me to my favorite saying he was talking about two guys being real good friends, and Doug said they're like nuts and a dog. A true friendship would be like nuts on a cat. That is a tight true friendship.
Speaker 2: That's real tight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. That's a true friendship.
Speaker 2: The nuts on a dog. Yeah, they're just always. Yeah, the guys that are very close with one another. They're not like the bulls that's out here. No nuts on the bullet I mean they're friendly.
Speaker 4: Sometimes they separate a little bit, but they always they always.
Speaker 2: Come back to You always find each other.
Speaker 1: Nuts on a cat, Yeah, like nuts on a big horn sheet. Like, so they like they're in touch, they're in contact. They text now and then they have each other's email. But like nuts on a cat, as you're like, last thing on Bobcats. How much have we talked about this whole Bobcat situation down here podcast?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, not so much what we're doing down here. But just like I feel like I've been like living, I've been like very I got to move away from it. I've been too obsessed with Bobcats lately. It's starting to interfere with my marriage, my professional.
Speaker 4: It's kind of I know, but I got everything we can text about, texted about in the last three months has been Bobcats.
Speaker 1: After the auction, after the fur auction, I'm setting all, I can't go on like I can't till next year. Yeah, it's just like it's interfering with my personal life. It's interfering with my family, it's interfering.
Speaker 2: With my job. So I should stop sending you trail can picture.
Speaker 1: I don't want nothing to do with Bobcats after the auction. It's just been very interesting to me as we talked about that. Like Bobcat, I've always been I'm always interested in the fur markets. And as we covered, skunk prices are high right now and Bobcat prices are very high right now. I've got a very interesting book for you. I was gonna bring it on this trip, but I forgot it. And the title of it is the Bobcat.
Speaker 3: Of North America.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'd be more and I'll take a look.
Speaker 3: See, you'll glean a lot of information.
Speaker 2: Well I might not. You will I might not. Yeah, it goes you want to know why I might not?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 2: We're good. Let's just check in.
Speaker 1: It's because listen, man, I'm not hacking out. I'm saying because it's from nineteen sixty. So that's great. But it's like it's gonna lack a lot of stuff. Modern coloring data. A lot of it's like, so much of what we know about how stuff moves.
Speaker 2: Is new.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll give you that that part of it. Yeah, but it's based on history and what they knew about Bobcats when guys just lived in the village, not abologe, a guy that maybe made his living from the bounty on Bobcats. So when money gets involved, people find out how shit works money. How can we catch every damn one of them out there?
Speaker 1: That's a bumper sticker on your car, He's got a pro. He's got a coal keeps the lights on a bumper sticker on his car. Yeah, he's gonna switch that out with Well that's true of coal.
Speaker 3: Let's timber. They are first, and we'll do the other planets later.
Speaker 2: You know. Well that's your Yeah. I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with what you're saying about the money thing, but I don't. We need to be this is a whole other subject. We need to be all done cutting old growth. I don't want to debate it with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say much respect for you to sit here in debate with some part of it there. I used to be like the guy I hated loggers, timber cutters and all that.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that.
Speaker 3: And then we've got to manage our forest. There's a place for old growth, and there's a place to manage our forest. So we we were able to build nursery for all types of animals.
Speaker 1: Listen, man, here's the deal. I'm not even gonna tell you I disagree. That's fine. I'm gonna let you say that I don't agree.
Speaker 3: You know, some people come into Kentucky and they'll go into a forest and they call it old growth and it's like one hundred years old. Like he'll be l Yeah, they go up there, this is old growth. It's not old growth. When they came in to make iron and steel up there, they use the forest for fuel. They made charcoals out of that. The bulls and they cut everything down. So the oldest tree up there is probably less than one hundred years old.
Speaker 2: That's not old growth.
Speaker 3: That's not old but they classified as old growth. And then they petition the keyboard warriors. The one dude in there that is cranking out fourteen emails a day saying save our old growth forest in lbl or whatever forest is in Kentucky. It's been already been harvest it's not original oat growth forest. Yes, anything original o growth. I'm one hundred percent let's keep that baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I one hundred percent for habitat to make up for the fact that we're not using fire like we used to use. I'm all for managed forests. There's a lot of areas Northern Michigan, well much of Michigan, Michigan's Upper Peninsula, Like I could sit here and list places all day long that had had much better wildlife habitat for native wildlife when they were actively logging. Because you need different structures and age growth and all that. I'm one hundred percent. I am not a hands off guy. Most forests are disturbed. They require active management. You're not going to put the genie back in the bottle. Mankind has already gotten in there and whack things up, and mankind can do things to fix things.
Speaker 2: However, and.
Speaker 1: Not to disrespect anyone on the economic injury end of it, not to disrespect the walker who's making a living. I don't think that when it comes to four year, five year or four hundred, five hundred, six hundred year old trees, at this point, they're more valuable standing there.
Speaker 3: I agree with you. I'm a hundred set with you on that part. Oh, back to Bobcats, Back to Bobcats. You know I'm a I'm a Bobcat guy man. When I was I got a great some great stories to tell you. When I was a kid, that was on my hit list. And in Kentucky, they didn't become legal till when the sight these saying come along. They didn't become legal toll like ninety one ninety two ish, they got off the list. You couldn't hunt them. You could hunt them at one time, and then when the Sights came along and all that, they took them off and they were restricted. But I remember as a kid going to Doc mos and Mosley was part of the Manhattan Project. He went into Hot Japan right after they dropped him. But I remember going to Doc Moseley's office getting a shot and ass with some pilling selling for five dollars. And I looked up there and he had two like kitten bobcats. I mean just little bitty, I mean most Bob gets. You see what he's like. Small, But I was always intrigued with him. And then I remember one day that me and Brookie Wicker we had camped out all night and we got up earlier.
Speaker 2: Grillery.
Speaker 3: It's a guy. We h he had a sister named Julie, Jennie and uh one more. Remember I could tell you another story, but.
Speaker 2: Bobcats g W.
Speaker 3: Terrell said, I put it in layman's turn.
Speaker 2: G W.
Speaker 3: Terrell said that Scott Wicker should have a medal for raising good looking women, so you could just read into that. So man, Brookie, we camped out all night and we're on the edge of Lake Barkley, and we go up Poplar Creek and we take our twenty twos. He's got a Winchester sixty one blow to his dad's got his initials engraved in it. S w somebody with some really skill with the engraver, not you. And then I've got the Bronco twenty two survival rifle. It's like all middle skeleton frame and it flips up. So we go out and we're shooting twenty two's, we're killing this, it's killing that. And there's this blackbird probably like forty yards wave good A good, a good piece. I bet you can't shoot that right there. And I go up and I take the Bronco up and I squeeze off a shot. He said, oh, you didn't get it. And about that time, the blackbird falls out of the tree. We take ten steps and here comes a bobcat trotting across the road in front of us twenty yards, turns and looks at us. We got no twenty two shells, so you'll never catch me with less than a hundred pack.
Speaker 2: Just threw a gun at it.
Speaker 3: True story, four hundred percent trough. So that I went from there and I started running with this guy named Jimmy McCoy, and he was obsessed with bobcat hunting, travel the whole United States from Maine, Wisconsin, Texas, Florida, Oklahoma, Oregon, you name it bobcat hunting, finding out what he needed to know about Bobcatt told me it took him ten years before he could he could catch a bobcat on his own with hand dogs, with hand dogs in Kentucky because we get limited amounts of snow at that time. Some of his hunting was like under the radar. So, like I said, he's the one that petitioned to get the bobcat legal trapper came in a bologist and he and he told him everything that he knew about it. So in the late eighty nine or so, I started hunting with them and learning how they do running dogs. We might go a whole season and not even catch one with dogs, yep, and killing.
Speaker 6: And then.
Speaker 3: I got a dog from him. I had another squirrel dog, the original Butchy, and within probably three years I was able to catch one on my own with the knowledge that I got from him.
Speaker 1: Is that the one you caught sneaking out ahead of.
Speaker 3: The dogs, Uh, Now, that was with him because I had his dog pack. The one with they got my kid seth And I showed you a picture of hanging from a sliprem tree. Yep, that's the one that was my first one. Let's see, that's the first one. I truly I ambushed some with some dogs, like road hunt down the road and they would push like a young kitten up a tree and just go in and shoot it. But I intentionally turned loose on that big boy twenty four pounds and caught him with the dogs.
Speaker 2: Got it, got it right? Now?
Speaker 1: Casts are real hot. This is kind of part of this whole deal I'm wanting to talk about.
Speaker 2: With cats.
Speaker 1: Cat prices are very high, so it's just got me interested in like this whole range of cats. So we're down here in South Texas and we just got some cats down here in South Texas predator calling for cats, and we caught some cats up in Montana. These are very very different extremes. Casts up in Montana are much bigger, thicker fur. Cast down in Texas are slender, lighter, thinner fur. But what makes a cat valuable or not is whether or not it has a white belly with clean black spots Texas casts in South Texas and cats in Montana have white bellies and black spots, so they're of value. Just for a point of reference, when I was actually when I actually sold fur and would trap and sell fur in Michigan, growing up at a point in time when the red fox was worth forty bucks, a bobcat was worth fifteen dollars. Because those bobcats out there aren't valuable because they don't have white bellies and black spots. They're not a spot, they're not nicely spotted. But right now, cat prices are crazy. Cats are consistently averaging more than five hundred bucks in the West right now, and there's some collections of cats selling at eight hundred bucks apiece. Okay, other poor areas of cats. Cats are running one to two hundred dollars. So Seth and I are making a video call. It's gonna be called Steven Seth get Rich, and we're taking some Montana cats and some Texas cats, and we're going to a famous bobcat auction, one of the top bobcat auctions in the country. I'm not saying where we're going. We're going to one of the top bobcat auctions in the country. Seth can't goacas. His wife's having a baby's being a baby about it.
Speaker 2: You and I are going. Me and Max are going, yeah, thanks for stepping in.
Speaker 1: Me and Max are going to the auction and we're gonna auction off Texas cats and Montana cats. We're gonna do a video we're explaining the cat market, and then we're gonna interview one of the top bobcat buyers. We're gonna go to one of the top cat auctions in the country and interview one of the top cat buyers in the country and interview one of the top cat trappers in the country. And it's gonna be called Steven South get Rich, and we're taking all of our wealth from this sale, and we're putting it and dissess unborn baby virgils bank account, bank account, college account.
Speaker 2: I don't want him blowing it on cigarettes.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna ear market for his education or comparable It doesn't need to be college, but or comparable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, education, further education or if he wants to start a business or whatever after after high.
Speaker 2: School, he wants to learn how to weld pipe, he use it for that whatever. It's very nice to use Steve to contribute that. Very nice.
Speaker 1: My own children very unhappy about this development. They ever heard me talking about it?
Speaker 2: Uh, that's what. That's what.
Speaker 1: So anyways, we got some cats down here in Texas. We've been predator calling cats I to date have called in in my lifetime have predator called in during daylight hours at this point now a total of eight.
Speaker 2: That I know about, mm hmm, called down here, all in Texas. All in Texas. I never called in a cat in the North.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because you can't call for them in Montana. You can't use an electronic caller that Yeah, you can't use it his mouth bloone call.
Speaker 4: We we one time called a cat in by accident in Pennsylvania calling kyotes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just called him in Turkey hunting. But I've called him. But I'm not kind.
Speaker 1: I'm talking like intent call, like intent to call.
Speaker 2: Well, just this trip four four and the four last time I tried it? Hm, what about the one that you ended up shooting last nime was one of the four?
Speaker 1: Ye I've laid eyes on and try while trying to call bobcats in daylight hours, I've called in eight.
Speaker 2: Do you find there's a sweet spot in the day I have?
Speaker 1: I can't make that call on it. Yeah, I'll tell you what I haven't done after. What I haven't done yet is called when at daybreak? Well, part of a pet theory of mine. Go ahead, I was gonna say on on day one, the two cats that you killed was the last stand in the morning and the first stand in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like and then the cat that I killed the next day was the mid morning. It was the later stand in the day.
Speaker 1: And Mercer Long, who's called in a great many cats, Mercer Long was saying to me, it's amazing how many you call in at noon. You know what winds up being It's almost like it's like when you review in your head. The turkeys that you get, not the turkeys you try to get. But the turkeys have just come in hard banker's hours.
Speaker 2: Ye. But guess what, you're still going right at the ass crack of down. You're still up there at Don. Yep, you're still up there at Don. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think there's something about that. I don't know, Like this is like a pet theory of mine. I don't really know. A bobcat comes in with a very different attitude than a coyote at daybreak. You call in a lot of coyotes, I don't know, and a cat comes in pretty paranoid. Maybe there's something like they don't want.
Speaker 2: To wrestle around the kyote or something. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe they don't like Maybe maybe there's something to do with cows. There's a thing too with rattling deer, Like when you rattle bucks down here, you rattle more bucks down here midday than early morning.
Speaker 2: I feel. Do you not feel that way?
Speaker 4: The mornings are more productive for rattling. I think here daybreak like daybreak up until you quit midday, and the evenings evenings are not as productive.
Speaker 1: What I was gonna say there is. I always felt that bucks are bored late morning, Yeah, not bored. They're not chasing, their dos are betted down. And he's more like, yeah, I walk over and take a look. It's like if creeping in on a bowl, like creeping in a bowl where like a bowl with a bunch of batted cows. You creep in on him, and like late morning, mid day, I feel he's more he's gonna he's like more likely to come have a look than he is when his cows are on the move. And he's like, I'm like, I gotta pay attention over here. I can't get up, but like late morning, he might be like, ye, I'll go take a look. Everybody's kind of chill holding still. I might go have a looxie. H A starty just came out. You're gonna pay attention, as Kevin. That puts cats to bad, right, Stay tuned for our video. Yeah, Steven Seth get.
Speaker 3: Rich and Bobcats in North America facts.
Speaker 1: Yep, we're also making a video. It's pretty much done. Is it's called armorganzers really as bad as everyone says. But here's a study that just came out. They ranked monogamy of dozens of mammals, including humans. Humans are less monogamous than some mice, but are more monogamous than some breeds of sheep. This is out of Cambridge University. All it looks at is it looks at full versus half siblings in a rage of mammals. You following me full versus half siblings. Species and societies with higher levels of monogamy are likely to produce more siblings that share both parents, while those with more polygamous or promiscuous mating partners are likely to see more half siblings.
Speaker 3: Is that based on collared specimens?
Speaker 1: No, okay, it's genetics right when it comes to our level of monogamy, human monogamy. When it comes to our level of monogamy, we're in there with meer cats and beavers. Oh great, We're in there with meerkats and beavers. And they're even going back in time. They're able to go back to Bronze Age burial grounds in Europe, Neolithic sites, and Anatolia. Ethnographic data from ninety four human societies around the world, from Tanzania and hunter gatherers to rice farming cultures in Indonesia. Okay, a wide swath of human cultures. You want to know what the most monogamous critter is out there? One of the most monogamous mammal Take a guess, I got.
Speaker 2: No, no is.
Speaker 1: The California deer mouse. They are strict, strict, strict monogamy. African wild dogs, very monogamous, mole rats, very monogamous, Ethiopian wolves, very monogamous, Eurasian beavers. So the California deer mouse has a one hundred okay top rating one hundred highest, one hundred Ethiopian wolves commit out of seventy six point five, the Eurasian beaver seventy two nine, humans sixty six, and then a mere cat and a gibbon. We're kind of like them, gray wolves, less monoque, significantly less magnogamous than us.
Speaker 2: I wonder if they keep going.
Speaker 1: Very low monogamy eighteen what's the lowest? I don't know, faral cats, Yeah, but no, here we're getting down. Oh jeez, the Antarctic fur seal. Dude, they don't give a care. Two point nine er killer whales don't care.
Speaker 2: Imagine white tails don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, killer whales skirt chasers, yeah. Three point three the Savannah baboon doesn't care, chimpsund open door policy, Gorilla's open door policy, ditch cougars, faral cats sixteen.
Speaker 5: I wonder so, like some of the higher rating, some of the higher ratings, are they measuring, like what if like their partner dies? That's all, yeah, because that would be like is that how they're doing the study or it's just it's.
Speaker 2: Just siblings and half siblings.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you get into like if you get into the like the the California deer mouse, a collection of progeny, all their parents same two parents, right, yep, I mean I got all kind of half brothers and sisters, right, so I'd throw the whole thing off.
Speaker 2: Here's you want some squirrel news, Kevin.
Speaker 3: I'm ready for some squirrel news. Hit me.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is from the Economist. I didn't know this in Britain. I was making a joke there, two body mine in California. We're talking about like Britain is trying to ban pretending to fox h jeez, Like they banned fox hunts. So then these dudes get where they take a doll basically and put fox order and drag that around and they pretend to fox hunt. But now and then they'll be all pretending to fox hunt and the dogs start chasing the real fox that are trying to ban pretending to fox hunt. My buddy in California, I said, Britain is like the world's California.
Speaker 2: He laughed. But this is nothing to do with that.
Speaker 1: So Britain has a pine squirrel, or they called a red squirrel. They got a little shit in red squirrel. I didn't know this. They have invasive gray squirrels. Now, as I've talked about many times, I was raised to believe that pines red squirrels bite the nuts off gray squirrels and make the munichs.
Speaker 2: Is there any truth to that, Kevin? No, it's a wives tale. It's like it's like witch and water. He said, you believed in it. It's untrue.
Speaker 3: Now the gray squirrel are really impacted England.
Speaker 2: I had no idea.
Speaker 1: They now have estimated two point five million invasive gray squirrels in England and their native squirrel numbers are down to thirty nine thousand. They've got a thing they found that they gotta they got a thing they've identified how they're gonna try to curb this. They found that gray squirrels have a real hunger for hazelnut butter.
Speaker 2: They've poisoning the hazel lot butter.
Speaker 1: They've established a red squirrel recovery network. This is this is researchers within the government's Animal, Plant and Health Agency. They're loading you know, because it's Britain, so they're not gonna put poison in it. They're loading it with contraceptives. Okay, this is like when this is when like, uh, this is what happens when when ecology restoration of native species habitat work runs up against like radical animal rights elements, when you have to start talking about that you're gonna use contraceptives. It's like with the wild horse problem. You can't talk about killing them. There are are something Well, maybe we can give them contraceptives and we'll have to catch everyone and give it an update every six months to make sure it doesn't have any babies. So they have this contraceptive bait and they have their developing a feeder that the squirrel has to have a certain mass. It has a certain weight in order to get into the freezer. So ninety percent of adult gray squirrels are heavy enough to activate it to get the bait. A red squirrel he tries to go eat the contraceptive. You can't get the bait. Previously, they've focused their efforts on coling gray squirrels, where they say it's been expensive.
Speaker 2: I can only imagine physically colling.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing they don't mean like, not physically, but I'm guess they mean not through poison campaigns, but through shooting them. And granted I get the poison thing you could have.
Speaker 2: I get it. Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 1: You could have stuff getting in there and then you got toxins laying around. I had no idea, Kevin, you and your dogs can maybe go raise.
Speaker 2: Hell over there.
Speaker 3: You know, I have a few people on Instagram and they'll send me occasional picture of them going on a squirrel hunt. I just recently got one from my family and they had a young son and he had Agent doll, four or five gray squirrels, had the the uh. His daughter had a Red Rider BB gun. They hunted there and I asked him and says, hey, just tell me a little bit about your farm over there, says how hard is to get one? He says, we can get a shotgun pretty easy, No, not much hassle. But he says to get a rifle like five years to get one, and he said, you've got to have a specific purpose, probably on some land before you can get get a rifle. Shotguns pretty easy. But yeah, I have a few people send me stuff from over there on the grey squirrels going out.
Speaker 1: Have you ever heard of anybody over there squirrel dogging?
Speaker 3: They had a dog. I don't know if it actually treed, but it helped helped them into the hunting and some of the hunt clubs they organize hunts now to go out and they do that polling thing and they'll go in and harvest a big bunch of squirrels.
Speaker 1: Yep, here's a good one. This is from the journal Nature. This takes a little bit of background. So in the Journal Nature of these researchers they're working in South Africa, Okay, have found arrowheads stone arrowheads that they have dated to sixty thousand years that contain plant toxins. Let's back up. What are you guys all staring at.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at cameras making sure they're rolling ful phill. I thought maybe it was time we had to leave. Well we're getting there. Yeah, Well give me an air.
Speaker 1: You can't age, so someone should go read this, because you can't age a stone point you have to you can only age it by context, like you can't take Dike Kevin's give.
Speaker 3: Me amateur archaeologists here. I just come off, God, no, no, you're yes, there are luminess tests. I don't know how to work. I don't know how.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Oh, so you're talking about actually age in the stone.
Speaker 3: Actually ages down some kind of luminescence.
Speaker 1: The last time I was exposed to sunlight or something.
Speaker 3: Like that, I just found out. I don't know any dynamics of that whatsoever. But that's how they age those artifacts that don't have carbon fourteen or anything with them.
Speaker 2: Okay, So.
Speaker 1: They're these reasons, and I haven't read the piece. Okay, sixty thousand years and they're finding plant toxins on stone points in South Africa from sixty thousand years ago. When you get into like this idea, the numbers switch. But there's there's this term people use of like anatomically and behaviorally modern humans, meaning if you went and got a human from fifty thousand years ago and kidnapped him and brought them in and raised and took them in a time machine and raised them today he'd be able to like fly an airplane and walk around on the streets and wouldn't look weird.
Speaker 3: Do you think do I think that?
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, yeah, it's there's like a debate was it like? But it's usually centers around fifty thousand years ago, seventy thousand years ago people were like behaviorally and anatomically modern humans at that time looked would have been dead ringers, right for people alive could be like lawyers, pilots, cat trappers, the complicated stuff. At that time, you're looking skeptical. This isn't my number.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying this is I'm just thinking, yeah, I'm not saying right or wrong.
Speaker 2: So these guys.
Speaker 1: Found toxins derived from a plant whose common name is the poison bulb plant, and it's still used by traditional hunters today. When Seth and I were in Africa, some of the trackers, the trackers were poachers that they caught. They catch poachers and some of them they turn them into trackers. Someone you turn them into the police. These guys were telling us when they were kids, thirteen fourteen years old, they were hunting with plant poisons for Kate buffalo with poisons So these are poisons still used today and they're finding traces of them on projectile points from sixty thousand years ago. And it's a complex cooking process to isolate and activate the poison solely weakened spray. It's just interesting. Oh yeah, that dudes might have been that long ago cooking up in South Africa, sixty thousand years ago, which is getting to the point where you can't even comprehend like humans, Like you can throw the number around, but you can't really picture what that means. Sixty thousand years ago, three times longer ago than there were humans at all in the New World. Yes, three times, So you imagine how long ago that was as some dude in America trying to bring, you know, kill a Macedon three times longer ago than that dudes in Africa mixing up plant toxins.
Speaker 3: See, I was at the Gault site. It's four hours from here, and that's probably the oldest documented inhabited site in the US of seven thousand years before Clovis twenty thousand. And then I'm digging at a current site in Kentucky and our artifacts are dating around fourteen five fifteen thousand.
Speaker 1: Years ago in association with macedon.
Speaker 3: Maceadons and mamos. One of the few sites in the world where you have both species occurrent and this year under the zones of concentrated water, we also found a piece of what is it the moose elk antler, the moose elk. We found a section about that in situ in the ground planet at that site.
Speaker 2: So is fossil is it now?
Speaker 3: It's still bod still bone. It was under two meters you know, six foot of overfield laying rat on the bedrock.
Speaker 2: Gotcha hmm, a little section that.
Speaker 3: While it looked like it had been worked by humans, you know, it's just this kind of piece that looked like, you know, there's no artwork on it, no defined structure you could you know, it's like fifty to fifty Did a human use this for some kind of tool? Maybe maybe not yep in there, but we have found ivory spear points.
Speaker 1: We found that packer too, that.
Speaker 3: We found the pecker of the lower I didn't even not I didn't even know that a masta don had a lower tusk, and they're usually eight to twelve inches long. The lord peckers set in my hand in there and it was is the shape of it and it was polished.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: You look at a lot of times you hear like someone's like, oh it's like a you know, it's like carved into whatever. And you look and you're like, yeah, maybe maybe it's just luck yea, you know that term of geo fact like it's like a phony. Like you know, it's like you'll find a ricke and you think it's something yeah, and then a guy will be like, that's a geofamily. It was just the earth made it and it resembles a thing that packer is a packer it is.
Speaker 3: And here's a unique opportunity for people. We're gonna have a major dig there starting in September through October. We need earth movers. You can come out and do some real archaeology with a doctor Grambly. He's trained anthropologist, seventy nine years old. We've been working that site for four years now. There's a lot of history there. It was the last battle of the Revolutionary.
Speaker 2: War, Battle of Blue Licks. Ten Boone's kid was killed there.
Speaker 3: Ten months after the Revolutionary War was over, the British were still trying to control the Northwest Territory and they ambushed Daniel Boone and his party and like you said, his son died in his arm. You can walk down to the river and actually see the ford I've been aiming, like the way to cross it because it gets pretty low. You could ride a horse across it, no problem at all. But it's just mesmerizing to be at that site, all that history that Daniel Boone and the salt works. They were come there to do the salt. The megafauna came in there and they habitat it. That that area. You know, we've got big bone lick in Kentucky that's been been robbed and traumatized from the original settlers that came in sent the bones back to England and stuff. They didn't know what a mastadon was at that time. But just to go down there and dig on something and find that, you know, everything we get we have to to give. But you see fractured pieces of mastodon ivory, which is totally different than the mammoth ivory. The teeth are different. Were a mastadn its main diet is woody shrub bushes and stuff, and a mammoth is a hate eater, so they have flat, flat molars, so it's it is really unique to be able to do that. So, like I said, we need volunteers. Just kind of kind of watch my Instagram, Facebook, whatever. I'll probably put up some kind of notice.
Speaker 1: So see what I want you to do is plug. I don't want you to plug that because I want you to plug your other volunteer proser. Okay, so everybody ignore what he just said because I think the other one's more important.
Speaker 3: Uh it is to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, yeah, let me do one last thing. Okay, one last news item.
Speaker 3: But we still need ham. It's got to be fine.
Speaker 2: I'll come Kevin.
Speaker 1: This Texas means because we're in Texas. I want to do one last Texas to Texas news bits Okay, and then you're gonna do your deal.
Speaker 2: Then we got to wrap it up. Okay, yeah, make quick because we've got ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Okay, check this one out. We reported it on this before, trying to decide the guys surfcasters using drones to drop bait like some surf cast and you paddle way out and drop your bait when you're trying to get it out past like the I can saying by or whatever. So guys started using drones Texas that doesn't like to run around band and stuff. Just generally speaking, they're like a banning things a verse state, anti banning, and they're an anti banning state. They clarified that the use of unmanned aircraft systems for fishing will fall under the Federal Airborne fall under prohibition under the Federal Airborne Hunting Act. They're saying, this is not a new band, but that's how they're gonna interpret it going forward. It's a statute that's been around since nineteen fifty six. They're saying you are not allowed in Texas the way they're in. They're not making a new law. They're clarifying how they interpret it. It's all to you if you're fishing with drones. It's all the same thing they're saying. Texas Parks and Wildlife Department is saying you can't use a drone for fishing.
Speaker 2: It's now become a thing to do, and they're just re clarifying that. Yep.
Speaker 1: But they didn't need to go past legislation specifically because they're saying it was already illegal. It was already illegal. We weren't interpreting at that. We're interpreting it now just to clarify it, everybody. You cannot take a drone and drop your bait out for sharks past the second sand bar, whatever the hell you're up to, the last thing we're I can spend time on it, but it is Texas. I want to hit it real quick. It's a real obvious one. So much suburban sprawl in areas of Texas and urban areas that is creating a hog explosion around urban areas. It's the same thing you see with deer, where it's like you make areas where you make more and more and more and more areas close to hunting, and you get more and more landowners like, well, I don't know anybody to hunt, but I shouldn't want all these pigs running around, or I should. The last thing I want is some redneck hunting deer in my yard. But I also want Fishing Game Agency to come get all their damn deer out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Just it's a story that never stops repeating itself.
Speaker 3: Oh, we have it rampant with deer right now, deer, Let a hunter on there.
Speaker 2: I'm not letting those rednecks on here.
Speaker 3: Get them out of my landscaping.
Speaker 1: We're out of time Okay, you're doing you're involved in a habitat restoration project. Yes, hit it clean, hit it clean, hit it quick. You need Kevin Murphy needs you.
Speaker 3: I need tree huggers, tree planters, wake boarders, people that like to fish. We're going to plant two thousand cypress trees. Oh yeah, gilt ridden wake borders. I'll take anybody. I want to bring people together.
Speaker 1: Ye have a pissed off fishermen and gilt ridden wake borders down there fighting.
Speaker 3: So he got two thousand five foot cypress trees that we're going to try to get get planted on the shore of Lake Barkley. I've been doing this project for six year, and during that six year time period, I've only been able to plant two thousand. I've got my technique down good. Now where you've got the Fishing Game Department can take a fishing Game Park's going to come and help us. US Corps engineer is going to donate some money to help us out, and it's going to be a great time.
Speaker 2: And what's your lifetime goal? You want to do? How many miles the shoreline?
Speaker 3: I want to do twenty two miles the north shore of Lake Barkley. The shoreline of the Cumberland River. It takes a beating from the north wind in the wintertime when the lakepool comes down. Summer pool is three sixty winter pool is three fifty four. So we have this long mudflat in there that we used to be covered with button bush. But due to the core of engineers changing the plan of the drawground it, it has flooded all the button bush back. So cypress trees they can tolerate water. They do not like all your they tolerate. Yes, all the cover the croppy habitat is gone. So I am my My goal in life is to get this started, which already have.
Speaker 2: How many miles have you done so far?
Speaker 3: Probably about two miles. I've got another twenty to go. But I've upped it. I've learned how to do it. In the beginning we use some larger trees and took bigger hose. They didn't stand up very well. Now we use a slender like I said, it's a I think a three year old tree. It'll be about as big around as your thumb, like a whist and we want them high enough that they can take that water elevation there. The water when it comes up, we have learned to stake them. We drive a wooden steak in the ground, we give them a fertilizer pellet time to the steak, and we flag them with flagging tape. Do a real dense planning there, maybe from from this wall to this wall along the shoreline. So we have instant infrastructure for crappie fishing in the springtime because it's just immediately there with the wooden the hardwood steaks, they last. And we did that for the first time that away. Last year. I was able to put in a huge amount of trees in a in a short one side of Devonport Bay is where we're going to be. We were on the east side last year. We're going to be on the west side this year. And then Uh, in those rocky areas we only plant trees about ever ten steps or so because it's just too hard to do it. But we're going to have a continuous from edible ferry down to nickel brains.
Speaker 1: So how did volunteers find you?
Speaker 3: Uh, just watch my instagram tell what it is.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Kevin Murphy at Small Game Nation.
Speaker 1: Kevin Murphy at Small Game Nation. If you want to help Kevin start planting cypress trees. To do you habitat restoration, get a hold of him and help them out. And here's a trivia one for you. What is the number one problem? Number one killer of Kevin?
Speaker 5: Cypress trees, wake borders, recreationalists, No something we all love. Number one killer turkeys. No, wait till dear, he says, they want to rub their antlers on them.
Speaker 2: They kill them all. Yep.
Speaker 1: He's got forty percent survival from bucks coming out there and rubbing on.
Speaker 3: Them that you would maybe think beaver or something, but that. But the most detrimental thing is a little scrawny ass white tail buck once coming there and beat up on my side.
Speaker 1: Because he says, said, they're real limbers. So they kind of like because the trees thrashing all around it, they look like a tough guy. Kevin, you're a squirrel man, a dog man, and now you're a tree man, treemn cipressman.
Speaker 2: Can you put tubes on them?
Speaker 3: I think that it wouldn't help. I don't know. We might try that. This year we went to a smaller tree. That was the larger trees that we had like almost you know, inch and a half two inches, So we've used them the whip trees now with the steak, so hopefully they're dense enough that then they'll stay at of it.
Speaker 1: Maybe like little land mines and poison fellas.
Speaker 3: But there again, you know we don't have the brows and 'l bel like, well, just throw that out there to get your piece of fruitcake here, I've got it all sliced.
Speaker 1: I haven't eaten anything yet today. We've been running hard.
Speaker 3: So I had a great time with you guys.
Speaker 1: As always, Dude, Kevin, give me a give me a handshake, man, every time I learned a lot.
Speaker 2: I love you.
Speaker 4: Thanks Kevin.
Speaker 3: Able to take a cat two decades under my age bracket, so I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I can't wait till see what you do with that hog.
Speaker 3: Well, we're gonna make sausage. It's my team. I've got to take a small portion of it, grind it up, test it, and see if it's going to turn out.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wish you good luck cooking your hog. I mainly wish you good luck getting your trees in. Man, Lotus, you get that twenty two miles done, that'd be cool. Before you die. Oh when he dies, I get his hat. Yeah, that is so that's cool.
Speaker 2: Where is that hat? All right? Buddy? Thanks? Why I thank you