Speaker 1: Are you leaving?
Speaker 2: I you wanna way back home?
Speaker 1: Either way, we want to be there. Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and aid, termino and gage. We want to send you off InStyle. We wanna welcome you back home. Tell us all about it.
Speaker 3: We scared her?
Speaker 1: Was it fine? Malborn? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do your need to ride? To ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need with Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need to ride? This is Chris Fairbanks and this is Karen Kilgarat you've all been your fingernails are chewed to the bone because you've been so much anticipating, so much anticipating anticipation. Is the continuation of last week's episode. We had a real cliffhanger. We'd ordered some crabby Patty hamburgers from Wednesday Wendy's, and it is Wednesday, from whence it came? From whence it came? And we're now reporting. I have to say.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say something really quick, which is that this is not an integration paid us, and no one has asked us as a face to talk about this. We were just hungry doing the podcast, and then it was happening in.
Speaker 2: All level things out by saying I don't like their business practices.
Speaker 1: How come I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm just. That's the opposite of promoting, Oh got it for free?
Speaker 3: Perfect?
Speaker 2: You like him? I don't.
Speaker 1: They might be donors of things we don't support.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who knows, we don't know. Dave Thomas isn't charming our pants off anymore. He has passed, and I'm willing to lightheartedly mention that. Okay, he seemed like a nice man, though I think he was.
Speaker 1: Okay, it looked a lot like Tim Walls now that I think about it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he does, he does. Anyway, I was a little Trump car. Oh look at that. Look at that bad.
Speaker 3: Oh terrible names.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel for when you know, if the winds, that person's gonna need to paint their whole truck.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe that business has been around forever.
Speaker 2: I'll never forget the day after Hillary lost and I did the West Side Theater. I looked up during the show and there was a full balloon holder with like a zip cord so they could rip and have a celebratory balloon drop and the balloons were still in there. Yeah, and that was really symbolic of how we all felt. Yep, but this time we're gonna let our balloons loose, emotionally.
Speaker 3: Loose them up.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I wasn't that into that burger. I'm sorry. I thought it was going to be like a crab cake. I was excited for the krabby patty to be at least a crab patty.
Speaker 1: You were also upset that your burger because on Lease night, each got the meals and you just got a single burger. But they didn't put your burgery in this single bag. And I could tell how deeply disappointed, borderline irritated you were.
Speaker 2: A bid, they weren't thinking things through. One of the orders of the three separate humans with different mouths was a single sandwich, just the sandwich. It's my favorite thing to say, because I'm not a big fry guy. I loved the fry guys.
Speaker 1: You were basically kind of like, why why didn't they think of me? And I'll tell you it's because it's a fast food restaurant.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest. When I went into the store when we parked, eating the car like a bunch of raccoons on a tesla. I didn't really need to use the bathroom. I went in and yelled at the manager. Oh nah, I peede everywhere. I mean, I used the bathroom. It's I don't know, I just kind of it was just seemed like a normal burger was, unless it came with a toy. I don't understand what was so Spongebobby about that.
Speaker 3: I think it was the pineapple in the frosty.
Speaker 1: The burger itself had thousand island dressing, which I think is some sort of play on, like the fact that it's you know, under the sea. It's an ocean cartoon, right, and look, these days, people aren't trying as hard as they used to with the integrations. I don't think you know, we didn't get a toy. I was also disappointed by that.
Speaker 2: I mean, the child in me is disappointed, and.
Speaker 3: So is the adult, and also the toy.
Speaker 1: Like that's why I was willing to pay a lot extra because those weren't fucking cheap.
Speaker 2: That was three people getting fast food, single meal, and it was thirty five dollars. That's ridiculous. Yeah, that's what we talked about before. This is a continuation. It's been one week and America still has this problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no one solved it. We're still mad. I got to get out of this lane. It's too loud.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the great. The grade is grading. Yeah, yes, uh, it's one. I'm not someone. Are you someone that freaks out when you hear chalkboard scratches or someone's teeth grinding, or.
Speaker 3: Well when their mind teeth?
Speaker 1: Yes, chalkboard, yes, aluminum foil on my feelings, yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: Now all of these for me. It doesn't do it for me. I don't like someone smacking something we've provided on this audio podcast, but I yeah, kissing sounds in a movie, that kind of smacking. I don't like someone eating with their mouth open. But you could. You could take a piece of metal and just put it on a chalkboard and I will remain unaffected.
Speaker 1: That's crazy, because nails on a chalkboard is insanely like painful to me.
Speaker 2: That's the original. That's what started this whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: It's the example people use when it's a sound they don't like.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought you meant podcasting. It started podcasting.
Speaker 2: Yes, nails on a chalkboard was the original. Podcast.
Speaker 1: It's the theme of all podcasting is nails on a chalkboard.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we started trying to stick with that here. I said, die a trick with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're still doing it.
Speaker 2: A week later, it's see, we just are here to say nothing has changed, granted for us, it's twenty minutes later. I don't know what was your review? How what did you think?
Speaker 3: It was just regular? And I also realized.
Speaker 1: I don't want a frosty with my meal. I need a a I need a more liquid beverage with my meal so that I'm rinsing it down a little bit better.
Speaker 2: I've always thought that I don't need a thick beverage to opposite of washed down. If you really need to wash down your food, you're just adding to it gelatinous sludge. Yeah, or a thick viscous beverage is not good for it's just not going to provide anything.
Speaker 1: No, well, it's dessert, and that's like saying you're going to get burger and fries and then ice cream, where it's like you need a drink, you need it.
Speaker 2: It's insane. What I grew up the meal deal at Dairy Quinn, which was the closest and only two dollars deal during launch in high school was the deal was a long hot dog that extended past the bun. I don't like that exposed, waen. I want it to be hidden in the bun. Sure, and then a Sunday and then a giant soda. Oh that's what I had. And I'm still living and breathing.
Speaker 3: I mean, and you always had the Sunday?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they didn't really modify.
Speaker 3: And did you get was it always a hot fledged Sunday?
Speaker 2: I don't recall which I would get. Honestly, I feel like I am a bit of a but it's surprising I didn't get this pineapple thing because I love pineapple flavor.
Speaker 3: You would get a pineapple Sunday.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, okay, I'm weird that way, Okay, I like the fruit flavors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not me.
Speaker 2: I'm not against chocolate or fudge.
Speaker 3: I love fudge.
Speaker 1: As a hot fudge on ice cream is like, I forget how delicious it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think there wasn't a lot of sweets in my house. And you know that I brushed my teeth after each piece of Halloween candy. Yeah, But when we had the butterscotch shell at home, the kind that gets hard on the ice cream.
Speaker 3: Yep, magic shell, but magic shell.
Speaker 2: It was butterscotch. That's a childhood memory of mine. That remained solid.
Speaker 3: And that was your favorite.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was my favorite.
Speaker 1: We never got magic shell. My parents were weird about stuff like that. I think my parents just got us desserts they liked, and so me and my sister ate a lot of like mint mullano cookies and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: We we're like, well, great, doesn't it seem like a long light?
Speaker 2: It is. I under we're in a situation where someone is asleep at the wheel and we're just patiently.
Speaker 3: Waiting, and everyone in this line is like, I'm tired. I'm not. I don't I don't bother to honk.
Speaker 2: No, it seems like we're all moving there we go, but we are all still tired. I feel like, do you ever like when you get off of trampoline or do some activity and you can't get it when you're walking on ground for the rest of the day. You can't get that feeling.
Speaker 3: Yes, I get that.
Speaker 1: I get that.
Speaker 3: On boats I have done oh yeah, like.
Speaker 1: Boats where when you can really feel the back and forth, whatever you call that on a boat. Yeah, oh, or one time I went is it snorkeling? One time I went snorkeling and I, you know, we must have done it for two hours or three hours, and when I came home it was like I was instill in the water.
Speaker 3: Was this the whole time? It drove me crazy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's probably a word for that.
Speaker 3: I think it's inner ear malfunction, inner.
Speaker 2: Ear spoonerism, call back to last week. I just I don't even know if this is in that category, because this is more along the lines of after you do your taxes, you keep the receipts and the sums keep floating in front of your head. I keep thinking about things after and I'm today skateboarding. I tried the same trick, probably without exaggeration, one hundred and fifty times I'm trained to in one day, Yes, over and over and over until I was drenched with sweat, and I never fully got it, and I can't stop thinking about it in my head.
Speaker 1: Now, when you think about it in your head, are you thinking about what you did or are you trying to strategize of what you will do now?
Speaker 2: I do? I think it is helpful think you are do that like you still are figuring something out, even though it's a physical thing. I've heard, and I do think I know what I was doing wrong, just with my shoulders. It's a spinny thing on a curb that is a lot like figure skating or whatever or that trick is, and I want to get it. I've wanted to do it for a long time. I got so close many times. A couple of times I did it, but it looked too sloppy, and I have to We're recording it for this video thing that I'm doing, and I can't stop imagining it. What's the name it is? The name of the trick is a backside one eighty faking nosegrind that I am over rotating into a front side nose blunt. Oh, so I'm grinding on the truck and then I two seventy rotate into a nose blunt and then have trouble popping out of the last part.
Speaker 3: It to lift your elbows, I try.
Speaker 2: I tried lowering my butt. I tried getting my face closer to the curb so I'm a little more scrunched down. I tried rotating my shoulders. Maybe I should lower my elbows.
Speaker 1: Specifically, are you wearing your high viz vest because maybe you need to take that off?
Speaker 2: It is I'm wearing a lot of protective deer. I'm actually wearing padded shorts and some elbow pads that are just like a sheath, so no one sees them for real. What a weird little stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, like because this is the this is a private airport.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I used to fly out of this. Oh yes, when I was doing very well. Yes, but yeah, I can't stop visualizing it to where I'm like, oh my god, do I have some sort of mental illness? Why can't I stop thinking about the same thing over and over?
Speaker 3: Well, it's a concerned oops.
Speaker 1: It's a.
Speaker 3: First of all, we're just so do what you want, right, Who cares?
Speaker 1: Secondly, it's like stuck in your craw and it will be until you do it and I will land it and feel great about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has to. Look I saw the footage of what we did get and I'm like, Nope, not good enough. That looks bad. I'm going too slow, so I'll do it. But there is that What is the definition of Is it just insanity? Where you do something over and over and get the same results, but you keep trying it.
Speaker 1: No, maybe that's why the butt you keep trying it isn't part of it. It's doing the same thing over and over and getting the same results. Is the idea is that you're not changing it, but you're trying to change it.
Speaker 2: Right, You're right, okay? Yeah, and each one is a little different. Yep, even though I'm considering each of failure. I'm failing in different subtle ways each time.
Speaker 1: It's all these different kinds of wrong. Yeah, until you hit the kind of right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which means I'm not crazy not I mean no, like I'm crazy in a fun way, skateboard crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's right, crazy for skateboarding.
Speaker 2: I'm going to do it, and then I'll be really happy because this is I'm considering this my swan song. I have to start focusing more on being a comedian and other things like that. I've been skateboarding three or four times a week, and you know my age, it's I know it's temporary. I want to record this thing and habit and then non step in and move on, yes a little bit.
Speaker 3: Move on to other things for the time being.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yeah, and it's yeah, it's been very it's been fun though.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see any of it. It's not my camera, so I can't watch any of it.
Speaker 3: I think that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it sounds like you watching it is what's making you think.
Speaker 3: About it so much?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, but yes, it's kind.
Speaker 1: Of like reading the comments online.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: Not a great idea.
Speaker 2: Oh and if you think comments about your comedy, at least with that, I'm like, ah, they just don't get it. But if it was a comment on my skateboarding, it would hurt really bad. So I am not going to Why are we even recording? Why am I even watching this guy? I can just imagine some young, mean kid saying something like that.
Speaker 1: But also, don't forget that oftentimes it's bought farms, Right, there's people, there's government agencies trying to keep you down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 3: It is true because if we if skateboarders put where will.
Speaker 2: We be, certainly in a society with less nuisance. There is a shirt that says skateboarding is a crime and it's loud and hurts my ears. Can you please do it somewhere else? And it's all on a shirt getting like each line is progress, some really smaller. That's funny, and yeah, because I think I should ordered it.
Speaker 3: Is it made by skateboarders?
Speaker 2: It is, yes, I think or they are skateboard in the world of skateboarding. It's this company out of Austin. They made my Cool York shirt and my Larry David shirt. But they also have a lot of nods to skateboarding. And I don't know who they are, but I like them. I'm a fan, so I'm promoting them in lieu of Wendy's.
Speaker 1: Is now that we don't have Wendy's to promote, you've got to think of something.
Speaker 2: Well, I've got ah, what do I have. I'll be I'll be in Milwaukee in the in the start of the year and then boise. He also, I don't know the details.
Speaker 3: Just turned it into a real one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was kind of boring. Huh.
Speaker 3: I mean fine, it's factual.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, we'll go on tour again, but for now, I'm having a midlife crisis. Skateboard video part being filmed. Huh hmmm. Well, look there's a notary. Haven't you been wanting to get a notary?
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, I need my pages documented.
Speaker 2: If we went and rang the bell of that notary or used the back door as clearly posted, I bet it's just a dusty skeleton sitting.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm a stamped.
Speaker 2: No offense if you're a notary. But I just don't. I guess with car titles you still need them in.
Speaker 3: This day and age.
Speaker 1: You better be a mobile notary because that's really what people need. You think people are going to drive down here to your back entrance only office.
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Friend, it's a great idea. I've seen mobile shoe cobblers. You gotta get in your vehicle and stan.
Speaker 1: Laundry pickup. I had a laundry service that came when my washing machine broke. Came and picked my dirty laundry up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, washed it and brought it back. It was the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's crazy that someone would go all the way to that office because that's where they keep their stamp on a desk.
Speaker 1: I mean the stamp is hand sized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put it in your pocket and come over to my house and walk it over. I do believe my mother was a notary, just a side hustle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can make good money as a notary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my mom had a lot of side hustles, but didn't go just dipped her toe in it. Like we had a room full of Mary Kay cosmetics. I don't remember it ever changing. The inventory was always the same.
Speaker 1: That's because Mary Kay was You had to have a bunch of people who had never been exposed to it before, right, And that's hard when something's been around since the dawn of man.
Speaker 2: Yeah it And I know my mom had dreams of that pink cattle at Yeah, but it never happened. I'm sorry, Mom.
Speaker 3: Hey, look, that's not the way all dreams come true.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I hope she learned her lesson.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, I think early on she's like, I don't like doing this. Well, I guess I have a room of SPF.
Speaker 1: Did ever tell you about the We went to a Jaffra party and Jaffra was like what is Jaffra was the hippie version of Mary Kay where everything was kind of made of like almond oyle and there was no dies or perfumes or whatever. And we got the full the full pitch from my Aunt Jean's friend and we were all sitting around my aunt Jean's dining room table and at one point she actually said if you're using a bunch of different products on your face every day, you're waging war on your skin.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, from a commercial.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like it's probably nine and I was like, holy shit, this is serious. We better get a bunch of this jaff Er stuff. And my mom bought a bunch of it. And I don't think anyone's life life changed for the better in any way as opposed to me and my Korean skincare that immediately I saw results.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. I ordered more. By the way, do I tell you that?
Speaker 1: What did you get?
Speaker 2: I got the toner, which one the kind you gave me, but in a bigger bottle.
Speaker 1: What do you remember? Was it the yellow snail musinksr X?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: I got the toner, I got the musin. I got the face wash again great? Uh? And then I ordered, with our discount more of the one skin.
Speaker 3: Yes, fucking one skin is the real deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I mean, that's an investment. You know. I knew as I ordered that you'd be proud of me. I can't believe I've waited. It's been two weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah you really you really held that back?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I'm very glad. I got it off my chest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, must feel good.
Speaker 2: I spread it all over my chest.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a waste.
Speaker 2: I'm glad I got it off my chest.
Speaker 1: Then the under I cream that I use just as like, I added it in as a step of my like eleven step routine before I go to bed, and I started slapping that on just because I'm like, this stuff actually works. I should consistently put it on. And I can completely see a difference. Yeah, so crazy.
Speaker 2: And the jar that you get it is h Yeah. I could tell it's gonna last a while because I hardly put any under there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, you don't have to.
Speaker 2: No, it'd be wasteful if you do.
Speaker 1: This week our Wendy's is one skin Yeah, free integration.
Speaker 2: And the other weird thing do you topper wear parties? Is that a thing? Is that just people our age and nobody younger than they remembers.
Speaker 1: They've started them up again recently, I think in the last ten years, but for a long time, Tupperware parties were very much like seventies, maybe a little bit into the eighties.
Speaker 3: As far as I can remember.
Speaker 2: So it's like the only way you can get Tupperware brand storage containers for your food.
Speaker 1: It was the only way for a while. And then I think they were like, this is crazy. We could actually be making money.
Speaker 2: And what makes it a party? People get drunk. You get them drunk and then they buy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean I don't know about the if that part's necessary, but it's like a bunch of ladies. This is back when all women did was get married and then have kids and keep house, and so it was kind of this thing of like, well here's a better way to keep house. Ladies come over and that kind of like madmen shit. So yeah, it was just like this is our time to talk about saving leftovers.
Speaker 2: The other Yeah, and my mom had a full time. She just added that to the mix. It's like after work, I got people coming over, They're maybe going to buy the tupperware.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not we'll sneaks some mary kay in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, that was how she got rid of the mary kay. I think I used most of it. And then also, and a lot of people don't know this. When I bring it up, they think I'm making it up. My mom was in a sorority with Greek letters that was affiliated with whatever elfa Beta Kappa something Kappa cappuccino. That used to be a joke. That's the most that's the sorority that drinks slid coffee. It wasn't a good joke.
Speaker 1: That was your joke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I've retired it. Yeah, it was a Kappa cappuccino. Was I thought it was a joke. It was year one. Okay, okay, it was year one. I did a lot of puns. Yeah, but it was not college affiliated. It was just a group where my mom and her friends in the sorority would do arts and crafts and make things, quilt, make Lynn's kitchen. A sign that was dough that you'd bake, and it was on a plaque like, yeah it was, but it was a sorority.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: And so my whole life, I'm like, my mom is in college. No one ever explained it.
Speaker 3: To me, And you didn't ask her directly.
Speaker 2: No, No, I keep everyone's education. I feel like that it's rude to ask are you in college? Mother?
Speaker 3: Are you mother?
Speaker 1: But the idea would have been that she was in a sorority at college, or that she just is in a crafting club. That they're using those.
Speaker 3: Latin words to write na.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of such a thing, a non college affiliated sorority for grown ups.
Speaker 1: I have not.
Speaker 2: That's yes, that's what this was. And it had the same Greek letters as one for kids at the school.
Speaker 3: And was this what city? Did this take place in?
Speaker 2: Missoula, Montana?
Speaker 3: Is there a chance that.
Speaker 2: This was regional?
Speaker 3: Yes, like a thing that maybe people in the midweston.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe it's I don't That's why I ask. I want the I want it solved. It could probably be told to me on Wikipedia.
Speaker 3: Do you remember the real name?
Speaker 2: No? No, very much, not because I feel like vague memories. I was a child, but a child, yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like it probably somebody was being like, hey, let's get together to do crafts because we're all doing them separately from home. And then is that a little kid dressed?
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't someone's idea. It was legitimately part of this Greek system.
Speaker 3: But not But how do you know that that?
Speaker 2: I just do know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're just in your bones?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, or from my memory. I did ask a little bit about it, and it was part of them.
Speaker 3: You're saying your mother pledged to a crafting club.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if you had to pledge there wasn't like a rush week. She was paddled, but it was unrelated.
Speaker 3: And how drunk did she get? Over time?
Speaker 2: She was naughty that the drinking was only for tupperware. We went over at waist and everyone got for the tupperware.
Speaker 3: This is too confusing.
Speaker 2: It is confusing, isn't it. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should have brought it.
Speaker 1: Up, but I'm not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. There are sororities that are a not for kids in correct and two never I'm right about that, and two unaffiliated with a college.
Speaker 1: But I put but how could they be affiliated with the gases?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yeah, I think it's like some crafty ladies being sarcastic and they're like, we're going to get together, We're going to have our own sorty and then they name themselves up.
Speaker 2: No, because there was there was things that were sent. They had, they had shirts and stuff. It came from Jostin's, the same company that does class rings, oh yeats and class of eighty seven mirrors.
Speaker 1: Do you think that you have to be a college to order from Johnson's because I don't think you do.
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: You say, take your money?
Speaker 2: I mean that would mean that my mom and all these friends decided to be batshit.
Speaker 3: Insane or just funny and sarcastic.
Speaker 2: No, my mom would be funny and sarcastic. I don't know. I have to ask, you know, who will know your sister, either my sister or Alison who's mother was in it. Oh, yeah, I'll ask Alison. Get Alison on the phone, Alison, Chris Fairbanks calling, This is a real call. Who you don't remember me? Goodbye, Alison, goodbye. That was a fun skit.
Speaker 3: And improv a that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: But it and yes, and you know what.
Speaker 1: The other day, Bridger Weineger and I you might know him from the podcast, I said, no gifts.
Speaker 2: I might love him from real life.
Speaker 3: Both of those are possible.
Speaker 1: He and I went to a show at the Dynasty Typewriter at four o'clock in the afternoon. And I will tell you what. It was perfect for me. It was like not too early and it was not at night. And we saw this nice show that was like a trivia show, funny, great, the guys that do improvise Shakespeare. And then we were out and I was home eating dinner and going to bed by Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's I was really on the fence. Last week I did a show at five point thirty at the Lyric, and then I had won at five excuse me at Flappers, and I was not I'm like, I've always thought comedy can't happen unless that's is down. Yeah, and it was exactly that I got at all the way. The audience was great, it was fun, and I was in bed in a normal hour. I did some things after that. Yeah, right, I it's my mind is blown actually that I understand audiences wanting to do a five o'clock show, but I, as a comic, I thought I wouldn't enjoy it.
Speaker 3: And why not?
Speaker 2: It was great audience, like exactly, that's the only thing that should be the basis well.
Speaker 1: Because it's going to absolutely determine your experience.
Speaker 3: It was so fun also, but like when did that start?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Is that a COVID post COVID time?
Speaker 2: It must be, I thought we all know that. I think in the past, I was scarred by the nights that a comedy club does three shows on a Saturday, So there'd be like a six and then an eight and then a ten, and it was just too many shows and I'd blame it on the early one, but that's going to be the best one. It's the late shows where everyone's drunk and heckling and want to see you if you can make the material about them because of TikTok?
Speaker 1: Yeah, are they doing that? Are you noticing that these days?
Speaker 2: Yes, people are getting verbal real yeah. Yeah, but they're also people are more savvy and watch more stand up. In general, it's been great, but there is a behavioral thing that I blame on all the crowd work happening and.
Speaker 1: Does the club do anything.
Speaker 2: No, No, the days of violently kicking out drunk people are over.
Speaker 3: They just let them stay. I mean that is weird.
Speaker 1: That's like that does go along with us singing singing at concerts where I'm just like, you have got it.
Speaker 3: Must drive those singers fucking singing.
Speaker 1: Oh just like they're up there because they're the best in class. They made it above the fray. They're now on a tour and here comes the fray fucking being like me too, I get to do it, and it just like so you're just all gonna okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I kind of like when I've seen footage of someone at a concert asking people to please not clap or sing because as a person who goes to shows, I don't like it when the person next to me is singing, right, But I prefer the artists say hey, could you not do that? I can't hear myself. Yeah, but they usually won't because then people's feelings get hurt.
Speaker 3: Well who cares.
Speaker 1: Also, they're drunk, so they're just gonna do whatever they want. Yeah, but it's like one thing where it's like, hey, we're gonna have this sing along here, we'll sing along on this song and this song and other than that, zip your fucking lip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suppose I like it when everyone collectively has been given permission and it sounds beautif yes that has happened. Yeah, it's like wow, this room.
Speaker 3: But not every song is good.
Speaker 2: But yeah, don't go do solo, you just you alone. I'm gonna sing along.
Speaker 1: To all these There was a girl on TikTok who came up on my feed and she just goes, hey, I didn't pay all this money to listen to you sing.
Speaker 3: You can shut up.
Speaker 1: And I was just like, oh my god, that's such a perfect way to say it, because it's like, you know, those people are the kind of people who are like I get to do what I want whatever, where it's like no, no, no, this is a lot of money people are paying to watch, specifically watch this performer. You're not in it. Yeah, you're not a consideration today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sit back.
Speaker 2: It has happened lately, though. I think it is on the rise with music too. I've had people singing right in my ear.
Speaker 1: I mean also, I think but the people where it's like when they came up on TikTok and people like it is that people feel very almost like responsible for the success of this person.
Speaker 3: They're just like, well, now we're all.
Speaker 1: Here to celebrate that you're here, which is like okay, except for it is a show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are even I I went to see this group called Roar that I didn't know anything about. I just loved the song and I did hear it on Instagram or something. But I thought they'd been around for a while, and it was just they already had a career, they were already touring. And I went to this show and it was everyone singing along and during that song, people all pulled out their cameras and I looked around and realized I was at some weird all ages I got tricked in yousell for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah you were basically there was some eleventh graders.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I it was very and you could tell even the guy on stage was kind of annoyed. Wow, but he's like, well, it's the reason people showed up, so I'm gonna smile through this.
Speaker 1: I also feel like this is a real I'm fifty four years old conversation because they can do whatever they want.
Speaker 3: I'm not there. What am I talking about?
Speaker 1: I'm not there and I don't plan to be there, so enjoy Yeah, both that kind of like it's weird to me, especially on those like sensitive, sad, quiet songs.
Speaker 3: Oh just like, come on.
Speaker 2: If someone's like belting out, if you went to see cold Play or something, and they're trying their artists so obnoxious and it's not, it doesn't make it any less annoying. If they actually are a good singer, more annoying, it's almost more.
Speaker 1: Well, because then that's what they're doing it for. Yeah, then we have a whole other problem.
Speaker 2: I used to there was a window of time there where I went to a lot of karaoke and I kind of enjoyed it, And then I went to where all the people that want to be famous to do karaoke at Barney's Beanery because our friend used to be the kJ as they call them, and it was more annoying than watching just someone that's doesn't usually perform be uncomfortable and their voice cracks. I almost enjoy that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all.
Speaker 2: This was like I want to be on an American idol and this is the song I do probably at four different locations tonight. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, also because and I think this is like one of the things that people don't realize is there is a corn level to that type of performing that is not appealing. It's not authentic, and it isn't enjoyable because it's a person up there kind of being like I'm doing it and I got it, and like it's very almost like you work at the State Fair, as opposed to somebody who, like I wrote this, this is means a lot to me. It's very personal and now I'm going to perform it with for you, which is very difficult, and so like that, it's like this isn't Broadway, and this isn't you know, this.
Speaker 3: Isn't like a musical review, are you in?
Speaker 1: It's like does a person who independent musicians are like, yeah, it took a lot to get to this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, it's weird to me then that everyone enjoyed American Idol because to me it was karaoke. Yeah, and a lot of the singers were great, But I'm I for some reason, I have this hang up, and I think it's because of my years on the karaoke circuit.
Speaker 1: I think for me it's jealousy, for sure, but also I really wish more people were just cool and they're not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, maybe it's cool.
Speaker 3: It's like, it's just not cool.
Speaker 2: I don't like the song you're choosing to do.
Speaker 3: And I don't like the way you're choosing to do it.
Speaker 2: There is a documentary that was at south By south West one year when I lived in Austin called Karaoke Fever, and it was very interesting. They obviously chose the most interesting and strange people to be in it because it was very entertaining how they all took it extremely seriously and thought that singing this person's song that they sounded like, I sound so much like Elvis, this is going to be a career. And I guess they were thinking Vegas or something.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it worked for the guy who became the lead singer of Journey or right that. I think it was a Filipino man who a young young man and he could sing like Steve Perry, like exactly, because I know Filipino people are incredible fucking singers and culturally a culture people who love karaoke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the best karaoke nights at like a restaurant where late at night you go and if it's a Filipino restaurant, it's going to be great. That's your favorite park.
Speaker 3: There's my park.
Speaker 2: It's no frills, it's just a square of grass safely by a fire station. That's why you like it.
Speaker 3: Make parks great again.
Speaker 2: That's what the witch will say.
Speaker 1: That's what Oh my, we'd already pitched that. Though I pitched that.
Speaker 3: You said, no, it's okay.
Speaker 2: I didn't know. If I heard it a couple times, Yeah, it would starts working.
Speaker 1: You had to marinate it, yes, yes, a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, yes, but yeah, I think that there's also a version. There was a band I've seen twice called I think King Diamond that does the old diamond covers and they it's a bunch of people. It's a giant band. And it is so good. Oh yeah, because it's the energy and everything and it's like a celebration of and I fully enjoyed that.
Speaker 1: Also, that's an interesting point to make because I maybe I said, instead of just an individual karaoke singer, you need the full experience, like not just this one person going like aren't I great? Almost like honor choir style, but instead like, because we there's a Van Halen cover band that I've seen that was like incredible. There's Hell's Bells, which the is the all girl ac DC cover band.
Speaker 3: Which was fucking amazing.
Speaker 1: You know, like things like that, we were like, oh, that's more of a fully fleshed out experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's funny. I think we've changed our own minds on this.
Speaker 3: We talked it through.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, my krabby Patty has settled in a little bit, right.
Speaker 2: It was still at the top of my stomach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: Now it's gone down a little bit. And I realized I just don't like Simon Cowell. Yeah, it wasn't the people.
Speaker 1: Can we talk for one second and look, Simon. I like Simon Cowell. I think he's of all those types of people where it's like, I'm professionally a judge on a reality show. He really like he was the original that everybody else is kind of trying to be a version of.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe some weird flip will happen, like with Judge Duty, where his meanness will all of a sudden, I realize coming from a terrific place because I love her now and I used to just think she's mean. But with him, I'm like, where do you come off? What have you done? Where? Where are you from? Who is he a record executive?
Speaker 3: I think he does have a background that justifies that.
Speaker 2: See everyone just assumes it. I really need to see his resume. Okay, well then look at on I will. Do you think his resume is on resumes.
Speaker 1: Dot comsume he is on LinkedIn?
Speaker 2: I'm going to go to his LinkedIn good idea. Yeah, maybe he's an amazing singer, But first.
Speaker 1: Of all, I like the fact that that's real. He represents show business. So if you're going to get up there and you're going to try to sing and do all that, there's going to be someone that's there to be like, here's why I don't like you, A B C, D E FG. And that's real that's not he's not being mean for his own purposes. He's trying to get these amateur people to get used to how hard real show business is, because that is how hard it is. People don't like your shit and they tell you to your fucking face and that's the biz.
Speaker 3: So like he was a great representation of that.
Speaker 1: But then when people like there was a I'm sure I told the story on this podcast before, but there was a TV show called World Idol where it collected up all of the different countries American idols, you know, right, Danish Idol, whatever, and they all had to compete against each other, and our original, first and only American Idol, Kelly Clarkson was there. And then they had like twenty international judges and this one like she sang and this one judge that was judging her was like, I don't know what you sing this way, and like he was a real.
Speaker 3: Fucking asshole to her.
Speaker 1: And Simon Kell comes in and is like, this is saying, who are you.
Speaker 3: I've never I don't know who you are, and did this thing.
Speaker 1: He's Simon Cowell, the judge, and he was like, Kelly Clarkson, one American Idol, do you know what that took. Do you know how many people she had to beat? Do you know the kind of pop star she is now? That doesn't just happen. And he basically, just like in Kelly's defense and on her behind, dreamed this man in a way that was like it made me cry. I was like, oh, well yeah, because it's true. Anyone can criticize somebody. Anyone can say that's not for my taste. But it's like, but who are you? Who are what's your taste matter? Why would it matter?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And for Simon Cowell, he's like, well, my taste matters because whatever I think.
Speaker 3: He's got the credentials.
Speaker 2: I guess LinkedIn, but not going there, not the other guy. The it doesn't matter as much to me. With the handsome Hollywood Joe or whatever on the British Banking Show.
Speaker 3: I like, yeah, he's great.
Speaker 2: I like to call him British Hollywood Joe. Okay, he's three names. Yeah, he just says things and people want as approval. But he is kind. I like that kind of.
Speaker 3: Judgment and he has a sense of humor.
Speaker 2: Yes for sure, and it's enjoyable. I don't even like bread and I watched the ship out of a bread specific episode.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's wrap.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's wrap it up like a bread. Sorry, I was trying to I can't cornucopia like.
Speaker 1: A cornucopia of braided rd.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you they did that. The lad watched that episode. They do have to do a braided cornucopia and then within it have three different bread like that. It's spilling out of it and they were beautiful and I got very invested in the whole show because of it. Yeah, that's and it's near Thanksgiving, so that's the reason I brought it up. Good, good idea. You know that movie The Fog, Yes, that's what's happening on your little monitor. The Yeah, we're about to get surrounded by demons.
Speaker 3: They're like, careful, well this isn't good.
Speaker 2: Well before we get dragged off to hell, you're better close this out. You've been listening to Do you Need a Ride?
Speaker 1: D Y n Eng.
Speaker 2: This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 3: Our senior producer is Annalise Nelson.
Speaker 2: Mixed by Edson Choy, Our.
Speaker 3: Talent booker is Patrick Cotner.
Speaker 2: Theme song by Karen.
Speaker 3: Kilgaret, artwork by Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 1: Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, at dinar podcast that's.
Speaker 3: D y n ar podcast.
Speaker 2: For more information, go to exactly rightmedia dot com.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Oh, you're welcome.