Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is the Player's Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Darry Church, Heckma Harrison, and Newie Scruggs.
Speaker 4: Ya get on in here. It is mon yay the Cowboys victory Monday here on the Players not Lounge. This is our show. But Jesse's on the show today because we got a lot of people already. Yeah, we had a lot of people already taking vacation time. Barry me, not you, my man with the double dip delights, right.
Speaker 2: Call me mister double Delight from.
Speaker 4: Now on, please miss the double dip Delight. How did I miss that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The other show they called me something Peppa pop you I call myself.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, this is this is I was on my way. I was on my way. I was on my way to the to the All you need now, man, is like a mistletoe hanging over the top of you. Man. You know you gotta.
Speaker 2: Because I already mess around in hr.
Speaker 4: My dude, you know my dude. Hr Hey, we know the thin line that you walked Jesse Jesse Jesse and Jesse Park. I don't they love Jesse Holly the trailer park baby. They know him by his first name, his government as we call him. But welcome to the taj Ma Hall of Football. This is the Players Lounge sponsored by Aristocrat Gaming. I'm Heck Maharrison at the desk. As always, Newie Screwds is on the way, and as I stated, Jesse Holly is in the building with me. Man and Victory Monday twenty six, twenty four made it interesting yesterday and from me because I haven't had an opportunity to hear your opinion yet, I'm gonna tell you that I left that stadium really proud of the Dallas Cowboys, proud of the fact that going into that game, I said, this is me, they gonna go ahead and lay down because they don't have anything to play for. And you, as a former NFL player familiar with being on teams where man, either we're going to the playoffs or we're going home. In those situations, you'd like for them to come later in the season, to come with there still being three games left, right, So a lot of things get exposed in that situation, especially with the way that the season already been going. I figured against a Tampa Bay team that absolutely needed that victory to keep pace. They would come in and they would smash the gas on the Cowboys and the Cowboys defense with that vaunted running game. You talked about those two guys in the way that they were gonna run the ball. You talked about the vitaves of the world, and how they were going to be all over that offensive line and where the warm, fuzzy feelings of this offensive line where those things may have gone. The Cowboys defense and Cooper Rush showed up in Arlington and they showed out. They pulled it off, and it's not like you didn't have the ebbs and flows. The defense came to play and a guy named one Duran Bland. I'm gonna find out what his nickname is, what his cousin nim call him, but men.
Speaker 2: Something like that.
Speaker 4: And this is a guy man that we we really went to the beginning of the season not really getting a lot of him and Trayvon Diggs together. But you see his value. You see how much that guy can and paint it just it leaves so much to be desired with those two being on the field together. In Cowboy Nation just hadn't been able to enjoy that. But Darron Blaird had a match up you talked about it also a matchup with Mike Evans, and Mike Evans got his, but Darron Bland got his too, Jesse, what do you think about the game?
Speaker 5: Similar to your point, I thought, even even before hearing the news of the Cowboys are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, I thought, you know, man, with everything Tim Bay had to play for, they were riding the four game winning streak, they were I mean.
Speaker 2: They were hot.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I thought Tampa Bay's offense, the way that Liam Cohen calls that a lot of the pres and motions.
Speaker 2: And the bunches and the shifts and all.
Speaker 5: I thought, man, this is the one thing that really gets the Cowboys defensively to be a little bit off kilter. And then you started adding on the factors of the playoff contention thing. Then you start adding the factor is you don't have your green dot signal caller and Eric Kendrick he didn't play uh in that game. And I was like, oh, this is gonna beat when I thought it was going to be. You know what I'm saying, He's like, well, who's gonna like they either Damon Clark hates them or they hate the Moon Clark because they were.
Speaker 2: Like both, probably both.
Speaker 5: And they were like, We're gonna go with Nick Vigil and I was like, oh, okay. First of all, right, and this is a guy who you know, he he doesn't practic it's a lot during the week because of the foot injury, so they trusted him enough to be the green dot over Maris Lula foul and man, they play with a bunch of pride. And I said it in the previous show, Kudos to those guys. Kudos to those men for going out there with really nothing as far as the game standings mattering. But to them it mattered that we go out here and we win the game. And I get that because winning, winning is the only thing, right all I want to do is win. And they went out there with really nothing to play for and played a tough, tough, tough football game. And I'm not into the he did it for the They did it for themselves.
Speaker 4: I gotta I gotta talk to you about something because the show we were on previously, you mentioned Cohen, the offensive coordinator for Tampa. I wanted to argue with you about him, and I did. I wanted to argue, but I just I let it go because I wanted to set eyes on this offense myself. And let me tell you how much I agree with you and in his genius as a play caller, because never at one point in time in that game that I feel like Tampa was off balance. They stayed with a hefty running attack, and they also hit you with the hefty passing game. And oh, by the way, they still used Baker Mayfield's legs when they needed to. I think they use a quarterback. Then you also mentioned that he's a gun slinger that thinks his arm is better than it is, but thank god he hadn't been exposed as far as his arm is concerned. Yet he plays within himself well enough. But I think Zimmer came with a defensive game plan that nullified a lot of that. You basically saw a lot of zone, a lot of they played off a lot, but when you needed it, he applied some press there on Mike Evans, and I thought that was a hell of a gamble. How do you think this secondary measured up versus that receiving core that you knew there were gonna be some holes in it, especially in the safety back half. How did you think that the secondary matched up and how did you think the scheme for Zim are also matched up with Cohen.
Speaker 5: I think what Zim did and is mixing up when to bring pleasure because when you line up, the first thing you looking for win number eleven, and that always is a a deciding factor.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: He is a force multiplier by himself, and that causes quarterbacks at times to kind of rush their process and not have a lot of time because when you look at what what Liam Cohen does and his routes, he is a layered Uh, He's a layer route caller. So all of his routes are When I say layered, I mean there's going to be a short option, and then if you give him another second, here comes the secondary option. And if you give him another second, here comes that third option. Or you know what I'm saying, developing. That's a word of yes. So his layer developing routes. But when you don't have time because your clock is going off and you hear eleven growling and breathing down your neck, you're trying to get the ball off as possible as fast as you can. And that's where you start talking about out I mix. There's a good mixture of when I press and him. What pressing does. When you have a guy like Mike Evans and you have him and Duran going back and forth, it throws timing off, right, It throws the timing off of Okay, my first read isn't open. My second read should be coming open. Oh he's not there, in which in turns closes the window to my third read. See, I need my second one to come open because with that action, is I'm gonna get him the ball or it's gonna draw someone else into that into that window, and now I can go to that other guy. But when you jam guys up, and I thought the one holding call to Duran Blend had to get to him. Old school football, say you got jammed up, my dude. That wasn't holding to me. And I'm fair when it comes to both sides and calling the play. He jammed Mike Evans up all the way down the football field. But it was a combination of throwing timing off in the back end with the press coverage and then being able to apply pressure with the different looks up front and having Micah company being able to get the Baker mayfield and having him get off his reads faster than what he wanted to. So it was a good back and forth chess match throughout that game, and the Cowboys came away with it at the end because they made a little bit more plays than Tampa BA was able to make in that game. But I think the and I don't want to go off key, I think the one thing that we were not talking about enough in this game, and to me, it was the reason that they won the game, and it wasn't offensively, and it wasn't defensively.
Speaker 2: This is a two point game.
Speaker 5: Brendan Aubrey misses any one of those fifty plus yard field goals in the game.
Speaker 2: He had three or four.
Speaker 5: Field goals in this game. He missed any one of those. We're talking, we're coming here. It ain't a Monday, you know what I'm saying. It's a mundane Monday, right, you know what I'm saying. And those are the things that I think that's the special team aspect of it, where you don't talk much about it, but without it, you don't win this football game.
Speaker 4: You Yeah, yeah, he lose by one point. I mean you bring up a special point, and I think special teams. Obviously, it's the gift and the curse of special teams each and every week, and everybody, guys like you that made their bones in the NFL by playing special teams point that out all the time. And also, you know, hold coach Fossil's feet to the fire on some of those bone head mistakes that are made. But when you see a guy like Brandon Aubry who was stand alone and does it, and man, what a what a treaty is to have a guy that you know that can make field goals from fifty eight yards. You turn on television every Sunday you saw and that Commander's in Philly game, a guy that just I'm like, damn, we are spoiled. We are spoiled about.
Speaker 5: Like when they talk about that Commanders Eagles game, their kicker, I think missed missed fourteen of them this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Brandon made fourteen of them.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're short, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: That's that's the determining factor. Yeah, you know like that that matters, And it's always special teams. It's alway one of those things where it doesn't matter until it matters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what I'm saying. And my other thing is is, you know, obviously in your evaluation of the game, you being in the former NFL player and the analyst Jesse Holly's on the Players Lounge which is with us today, and you talked about the running game from Tampa Bay. They ended up having one hundred and thirty four yards. Speak clear, Bucky Irving sixteen for sixty eight, Baker Mayfield three for forty two, but Rashad White three for ten. When you talk about those runs, basically you were not being gashed in your defense what you expect. They gave up and the longest run was to Baker Mayfield for eighteen yards. But guys like guys like Nick Vigil who we were just joking like who is him? And murce Lefoul, your linebacking crew, young inexperience showed up for you. That was a big part of this victory also.
Speaker 5: It was and that's when you're down as many guys as the Cowboys have been down throughout this season. I need contributions and I don't need you to be two thousand Ray Lewis. I don't need that b we's supposed to be, bwe is supposed to be. And then with the plays that you're supposed to make, see Ray goes and make plays out of his own out of his space intelligence, beyond belief.
Speaker 2: Here's what I need.
Speaker 6: You to do.
Speaker 5: If you're supposed to be here, be here. If you're supposed to, take on this blocker, take on this blocker, if you're supposed to be scraping, scrape if you're supposed to. When I get that, now, my guys that are supposed to be doing their job is allowed to because I don't. I don't have the room they talked about during the game. They kept talking about like how Levonte David and Vida Veya would play off one another and Levante would tell Via, hey, yo, stay at your gap. I'm about to go room, or it.
Speaker 2: Be vice versa, Yo, you go room. I got your back.
Speaker 5: See, when you don't have that level of players, I need everybody to do their job. If everybody do their job, then we limit, we limit the big plays, and we play the percentages and we say to ourselves, all right, cool, we'll get down to this thing. We'll we'll we'll, we'll ben but we won't break.
Speaker 2: And they'll make the mistake.
Speaker 5: And I think that's what those guys like Nick Visual, like Maris lil Foul and others, just doing their job on a consistent basis gives you an opportunity at least to have guys in the right place.
Speaker 7: Is that what you learn from Belichick being up there with New England when you talked about that, Now, I learned that from my grandma a long time ago.
Speaker 2: The boy, do what I tell you to do. If you do what I tell you, you be all right. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Grandma tell you that, Hey, when you get in this house, lock that door to open it for nobody. I got the key. Don't touch that stove. You will make your pean of butter.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 5: But but I'm joking, but I'm dead serious as well. But yes, when you're in places like New England. And that was the one thing that Bill Belichick was always always on top of. He would tell you when I when I first signed with New England, I sat down and had a meeting, like I talked to Bill Belichick and he basically said, here's what I need for you to do. Can you do X, Y and Z. I said yes, he said, fine, if you can do these at a high rate, you'll be just fine.
Speaker 2: And that's what he asks his team to say.
Speaker 5: I need I need all of y'all to do exactly what I asked you to do. If you do that, we will find ourselves in a winning position. I don't need you to go outside and do nothing else. I don't need you to be superman or superhero. If I say go from point A to point B, go to point A to point B. Don't don't dip off to C. Think about D or you saw F go A to B because I got somebody else going to C. All y'all do what you're supposed to do. Then this guy back here, go make it right. I've heard coaches say you're not talented enough to improvise. Yet you're not there yet.
Speaker 7: I never play the collegiate level that you guys played high school. Dude, But I remember we said that just one coach. What were you thinking, Well, coach, I thought that's the problem.
Speaker 4: You thought.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 4: Don't think that's the that's the truth. Nowise scrugs back in the building. I always love watching those. When you watch those Sunday night games, you know, you're sitting there, you're watching the TV and you see the Sunday Night and then all now, he shrugs, NBC. I'm like this guy, he's everywhere you turn the TV, struts watch So it's it's so different man, watching it watching the TV live. I mean, excuse me. Watching the game live is so much it's so much different from the TV. Yeah, man, he come in and walk in. You need to get haze for walking in there. The Book of Integrity with breaking the book, which.
Speaker 2: I was actually working today. I was over TCU.
Speaker 7: They getting ready for the well, they got the arm Forces Bowl ready for Arm Forces Bowl and Navy Oklahoma boy Oklahoma to bell off, and then TCU was prepping for New Mexico Bowl. So I had to do interviews over there, so leaving forward because.
Speaker 2: They came late. They were late.
Speaker 7: Sonny got hi la, he said, ironically, and you guys are playing bowl games. Nobody was really excited about for tc BY going to the Mexico Bowl. So I just I just thiged, I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Ask the question.
Speaker 7: So as JP Richardson, a lot of fans weren't real hyped about the New Mexico Bowl. What about you it ain't gonna lie. I was disappointed. I thought there was some better bowls out there.
Speaker 4: There are.
Speaker 7: Well, since we wasn't bowling last year, we're here. Louisiana got ten win teams, so we better get out here and go do it. Do it because bowl games about want to like you know, this is last his last game anyway, like you know, at least you come with some perspective.
Speaker 2: It may not be what you wanted.
Speaker 7: But last year you had nothing, nothing in the year before that, your last Bowl game.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 6: Everybody take that sixty five to seven taste out there.
Speaker 5: Man, I'd rather have sixty five to seven and play in that in that game?
Speaker 2: Then what's the Bold Prizect for that?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 2: What's the Bold PRIDECCE for the new Mexico boat?
Speaker 4: I didn't you gotta ask who's the sponsor? No, no, no, you ask who's the sponsor? Who's the sponsor. It's like it's like PlayStation Bowl. You get to PlayStation and stuff like that. You do get per.
Speaker 2: Mexico Bowl Act. Shout out to people.
Speaker 7: Yeah, man, come on, but really it's no matter what it is. Heck, what you had last year is nothing. You have five wins. So it's you know, I don't know if it's breaking bad bowl, I don't know, but Cowboys right now, Walter White's they take that, they take the bowl, right, I mean so so yeah, I was like just getting getting getting from that side to get over here.
Speaker 2: And then, by the way, great Vie Mills Mall is like.
Speaker 6: A hood bit.
Speaker 4: So I'll set the teaser for this because I know you're you're gonna take over the show of the second in the second segment here. Uh, we gotta get your thoughts Newly Scruggs's thoughts on the Cowboys victory coming up next on the play As Lounge.
Speaker 2: You like that tease profession that's professional. He licked his lips and everything. Hey, their Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 9: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo. Bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys theme casino games developed by Aristocrat, A Brown sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys Gambling Problem. Please contact the US National Problem Gambling helpline at one eight hundred gambler. That's one eight hundred ga m b l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 10: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even us pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 11: Prush Scott kits, It slides with a first.
Speaker 10: Down, investlate your icons where everyone is a rookie. Incrypto with blockchain dot Com perfect pro.
Speaker 2: My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 10: Visit blockchain dot Com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 9: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 4: Are you the.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboys fan you know for a chance to.
Speaker 2: Be named the twenty twenty four Fan of.
Speaker 3: The Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Back to the Players Lounge.
Speaker 4: Capture a frameworthy family holiday photo with Santa at the Star presented by Monument Realty. Sanna will be spreading holiday cheer his cowboy theme cottage in the Star District from November twenty second through December twenty fourth. For more information and to book your visit, head to this Star District dot com slash Santa Oo.
Speaker 7: Mac Maharrison appreciate you here Bill plays Land, brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming.
Speaker 2: All Right, Jesse Holly here, mister.
Speaker 7: Dublin Holo clause doing all the charity work man doing. Jesse's out here doing servants work.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all the time, all the time, all the time, man, So so big ups to you on that. Heck, Maherrison's here. I'm late newie scrush, coming back up from doing a little bit of work. So the thing that impressed me about the Cowboys that they won from the standpoint that Tampa Bay had the ball for thirty two minutes and forty eight seconds, ran up a whole bunch of yards on them, and the Cowboys could not run in a lick average one point six yards of carry in the game, thirty one yards of rushing.
Speaker 6: I didn't think they will win. I picked against.
Speaker 7: Them to see them come out and play because I was at the stadium and I was not expecting that once you got they got eliminated.
Speaker 6: I wasn't expecting them to go out there.
Speaker 7: And play that way. So for them to lead from start to finish. And who had these dudes winning on Sunday Night two of the three games they played.
Speaker 6: This year, Pittsburgh. Yeah, Tampa lost.
Speaker 2: Sam to see that, I see that.
Speaker 5: Man, no again, like this is I guess that goes in the file of just the unpredictability of what this football team has been this year is it's been it's been this toss up every single because I think we were all on the same page when we came to this game, was like, this ain't gonn this ain't going this ain't going in well, This ain't going in well. And and they they have the final say so that that's the greater thing, right, is that our jobs are to look at film and numbers and all this other kind of stuff and break this thing down and come up with some sort of hypothesis or high pot news.
Speaker 2: So what the game plan would be like.
Speaker 5: And when we go out there and then we go sit some we go sit on the fat part of our butt and watch.
Speaker 2: And those guys have to go out there and go.
Speaker 5: Well, forget what new we forget what forget what Holly has to say.
Speaker 2: They don't have to live up to this. They don't put the pads on, they ain't they ain't doing this. And that's that's the difference.
Speaker 5: And that's that's that's the part that those guys get the final say so in.
Speaker 4: So Jesse Newey asked this question. I got to ask you, guys, what does this mean for Mike from Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: Glad you asked this question, what does this.
Speaker 6: Mean from Mike from Pittsburgh?
Speaker 5: For me, Yeah, it means absolutely nothing to me. It means absolutely nothing because here's what we hired Mike McCarthy to do. Mike McCarthy was hired for the head coaching job slash offensive coordinator job to change the narrative and the outcome of what the other regime could not do. And there's four seasons here he's done the exact same thing that the other regime has done. First round exit in the playoffs, not make the playoffs. This means nothing to me. This proves nothing to me because your goal was to get this team to the championship and.
Speaker 2: You failed to do that. Yes, that's what that was the goal.
Speaker 5: When when he was hired, one of the things that Jerry Jones said about Mike McCarthy was he has Super Bowl experience and playoff pedigree. And I also said the thing, and I was a fan because I thought it was going to be different. I thought it was going to be different. At no point in time against the good Ones did we have a coaching advantage in the last four years when he had to when he had to be at his best against the best folded career. It's the best you got, Is that? The best that you got? Is that the best that you got as a playoff win? That the best that you got? Tom, Tom Ray a lot of people. Man Again, it wasn't different in the old regime. O. Jason Garrett got one playoff win.
Speaker 2: Here's what I would give you.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, no, no, I'm waiting to hear what you had to say.
Speaker 2: Jesse.
Speaker 6: What you're saying is idealism.
Speaker 2: Ideally, this is what he was hired for.
Speaker 7: That's the idealism of what you wanted and what we all were expecting. The realism is and you look at this team. This ye had a GM doing GMing very well. Okay, what about last year? Last year was twelve and five. You had, you had the runner up in the MVP voting, get your quarterback. You had everything right, You had a healthy roster, you had good football players in that roster.
Speaker 2: You you got your tail handed to you at poom.
Speaker 7: Okay, let me finish ones point and guess what the GM and owner said.
Speaker 6: Okay, bring it back.
Speaker 2: He could have made a move, right, but he didn't.
Speaker 7: Okay, were there other people potentially out there was there someone available, who's who, who has won more Super Bowls, who could have taken the job. He was available, he decided not to do it. So the owner general manager is the one who said, nah, I want more of this, bring it back one more time, and then he didn't get The owner didn't all in?
Speaker 2: Did you see all in? GM? All in? No, he wasn't.
Speaker 7: So while you can put up here and beat up Mike McCarthy for the idealism of what was wanted, the general manager and owner who could have made a move last year could have hired Jim Harball, could have hired Bill Belichick, said nah, we're bringing it back, and then didn't give him all the tools that he had beforehand.
Speaker 6: This is not the same amount of talent. This scheme with Mike Zimmer is not the same.
Speaker 7: Chauncey Goldston was over there this week talking about, Hey, man, it took it.
Speaker 2: We wanted to believe in the scheme. We tried.
Speaker 7: It took us a while to get there. When do you start to say, man, what are we doing here? I mean, this is a collective thing. As much as Jerry and I like Jerry personally, man I'll be as sad as dude when this man passed away, because he Didne provided so much good content for me through the years. This thing has been Mike McCarthy ain't done it, Garrett didn't do it, do it, Parcels didn't do it.
Speaker 2: What's the comedy de nominator here?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What ain't changing? Right?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 7: I mean so, so the reality is you kind of got what you you You you walked into this bear trap owner general manager.
Speaker 2: You think about what if Hardball's here? What the ballot chicks?
Speaker 7: These were available options, right, and you said no, No, nine, we're bringing this guy back. You make it so so okay? Now you say all that To say what I say all that is, if you fired it in tomorrow, I don't think there's a better option for you that he will feel comfortable with. Take Jesse out of it, take Newie out of it, take heck matter. So we're talking about the man that we've been around and we've seen and recovered and we know correct he's probably gonna come back with this one more time because I don't think there's a better asption for that he's going to feel comfortable with to do he ain't hired Kelly Moore. He's not gonna hire a first time guy.
Speaker 5: So we're just we're in insanity again because we're getting ready to repeat what we just repeated with JG. We did ten years with JAG because and the only way you run this back this is just me and if whoever Mike McCarthy's agent is there's no way, Tom Brady, Oh, there's no way. You give me a one year deal, of course, so you gotta give me four. You gotta give me three, four year deal.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be it probably will have to be three.
Speaker 5: Right, So okay, So now all right, so you go through seven years and what's you said? The common denominator is what? So what's gonna be the difference? What what you What you have to have now? What you have to have now is what you have to have now is you can't have good coaching anymore.
Speaker 2: You have to have great coaching.
Speaker 5: You have to have people who are able to schematically overcome the limitations that are set forth by the people who are over their heads. And I think that's from me when it comes to Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 2: He's just good. He's just good.
Speaker 5: And that's why I'm talking about a competitive advantage when you go into these certain games, you don't. You didn't feel when he went up against the Lion that the he that he had a competitive advantage from the coaching aspect. You didn't feel that way when he went up against Kyle shanahan or McVeigh or any la Floor or any of the ones that we consider to be good and that you'll eventually have to face in order to get to the big game. Right, all the names that I'm naming, or names that you got to go through unless they beat each other, that you gotta go through those names in order to get to the promised Land. And at no point in time, and maybe I'm wrong, I'll speak for myself, I won't speak for you, gentlemen. I never feelt there was a competitive advantage at that point. And if coaching wise, if I don't have a competitive advantage coaching wise, and I don't have a significantly advantage Jimmy's and Joe's wise, I find myself in this situation.
Speaker 2: Again and again and again.
Speaker 5: And I think what Mike McCarthy is as a play caller is good. And if you're not going to give him exceptional talent, all across the board that will elevate that good to a higher place.
Speaker 2: Then we'll be sitting here and and in eight months and we'll be having the same conversation. That's why I'm saying that.
Speaker 6: You've been having since ninety seven.
Speaker 2: That's why you that's why.
Speaker 5: For me, it's it's there has to be hope, If there's any hope, there has to be the hope that Okay be fired by McCarthy. And then finally, finally, the clock is right one of these times, and the dog and the sun signs on the dog's bottom.
Speaker 4: And you go, this is your time, you Ben Johnson, I.
Speaker 2: Didn't did all the other stuff. I'm gonna go ahead.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go ahead and give you that twelve twelve million dollars you know.
Speaker 7: Liam Cohen, Liam Cohen, you know what I'm gonna give you that shot.
Speaker 4: Bobby Slowick, I'm a so so tesse jesse. Look, so that split the difference, all right, because I think what you're what you're saying from a talent standpoint, I didn't give this guy a chance. All in didn't apply this year. You may have been in previously years, but not this year. And give you enough all right, and it's for some reason. When talking to players, former professional players about Mike McCarthy, it comes down to guys saying him not living up to the moment. That's Barry Church's deal with Mike McCarthy, right, What you're saying for who? For what? Basically, who are you going to bring in to manage? Who are you going to not only just manage this roster. Who's going to deal with the front office? Who do you know who's been better at dealing with that, because that's a part of the job too. Then may not be dealing with Dak, dealing with Michael Oh, by the way, managing your expectation with Jerry Jones. Who else is I mean? And I said this before, for Mike McCarthy, who was I felt like being groomed for this position, for what he dealt with with Ted Johnson Thompson, I mean up in up in Green Bay. He didn't pick his his free agency. He wasn't in that room for any of that. My point with Mike McCarthy is what he's had to deal with from an injury standpoint, The guy didn't have a leg to stand on. At a certain point in this season. The whole team was hurt. And if you expect the expectation after Dak Prescott went down.
Speaker 5: But what about when Dak wasn't here. They didn't play well at the beginning of the year and they had him.
Speaker 2: But you're a good season.
Speaker 4: You're not going to go back to last season when Dak is the runner up in the MVP vote. None, you got your doors beat off when it mattered. You don't put that on your defensive cordat That team was unprepared.
Speaker 5: That team was when you're talking about unprepared, you know, and not ready to play game offensively, to stop offensively, to offensively to.
Speaker 7: That falls on the shoulders And where was the general manager to make the decisions?
Speaker 4: Probably what.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's not okay, okay, he's on his jet.
Speaker 7: It was helicopter when you took the beating and you were frustrated and mad and other people around were calling for regime change. You could have did hardball begging to come to the league, Bill Belichick, begging for a job.
Speaker 2: He didn't do it. He didn't want to.
Speaker 5: He didn't want to have to pay that five million and for Mike to sit at the buffet. No guess what he didn't want.
Speaker 2: He didn't want Mike. He didn't want Mike.
Speaker 5: Now the China eating the unlimited crab legs at two o'clock on a Thursday afternoon.
Speaker 4: Because if that was the case, you're talking about a billionaire.
Speaker 2: It comes and a year million dollars or you don't know how billionaire is a millionaire?
Speaker 4: No no, no, no, no, no no no. I don't want to give up, but no, man, I don't have to. If you knew that this season was going to be the way that it is, you you think that he would have still lined him up for this just to say, oh, I'm just going to pay you through the end of good contract and bring another guy in again.
Speaker 5: Now now you're asking for miss cleo fortune teller. Right if he knew, okay, no, he didn't know.
Speaker 2: In his mind.
Speaker 5: In his mind he thought to himself, you know what if I pay CD and I paid DAK and I switched some other things around. Hell, we were twelve and five last year with this, but a very similar group. Maybe this year we can get lucky and things happening.
Speaker 4: Agree with because the mismanagement thing is on him.
Speaker 5: No no, no, no, no, no, I one hundred percent agree with Newie in the sense of the general managers. The general manager that's always gonna be with the way it is. What I'm saying is even in your twelve and five years, it still ended the same way. So there was nothing. So there was nothing that was going to change for me in this season. And that's what I'm saying that from his standpoint is you're good enough to get me there, but what you do as a coach is not great enough to overcome the things that you're facing and to get me to the promised land.
Speaker 7: And right now, I don't see another option in which they're going to go utilize that tells you or that I see him actually doing him doing, not mean that not Jesse. I don't s see another option that Jerry Jones is going to lock himself into right now that says, yeah, that's what we're gonna go do.
Speaker 2: So now it's just keep micing, deal with the misery.
Speaker 7: I'll give you that opinion next right here, right here, professionally brought to you by Aristocratic Ga Jesse Hollyskowboys dot Com.
Speaker 4: You gotta raise your foot up side, CHRISTI wiim break Yeah, not yet? Are you serious?
Speaker 12: Hey? Danny mccraige here for Smoothie King. You know, every great workout deserves a great reward, so treat yourself right with new coconut smoothie bowls made with real fruit, crunchy purely Elizabeth Granola, creamy coconut, and top with the chocolate, hazel nut or honey drizzle with two new flavors. It's perfect for you and the workout buddy, so you both can stay on track even after you leave the that's scoop up new COCOMs movie bos only a Smoothie Ky, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yeti Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetti dot com.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 8: Today yeti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: To kick off the twenty twenty four NFL season, Boss teamed up with the Cowboys and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection. The Boss Cowboys Collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a Boss. Arriving just in time for the start of the season, the distinctive attire from the latest Boss Cowboys expansion offers sports officionados and true bosses the chance to show their team spirit and style. Get yours today at nflshop dot com, slash hugo Boss, Huego Boss dot Com and Boss retail stores hashtag beer Own Boss.
Speaker 11: Raising Kanes presents the other rules of football. Rule one, any broadcast without the express edition of cook to Order Cane's Chicken Fingers is prohibited. Rule twelve, no crinkled cut fries, texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation. And Rule thirty one anybody who loves to feed their game face is an eligible receiver of kins when it comes to winning game day. Caines rules Raising Canes Chicken Fingers one Love Go Cowboys to the players.
Speaker 4: Loude Tis this season for youth football and dance camps presented by and visit Line. Don't miss the chance to learn from the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders at dance camp on December twenty seventh and former NFL players at football camps on December twenty seventh. Celebrate the Holidays with the Dallas Cowboys. Register today at Dallascowboys dot com.
Speaker 7: Slash all Right, Hackemharrison appreciate Jesse Holly, former Dallas Cowboy player in the.
Speaker 2: House when they were shrugs.
Speaker 7: The Cowboys get a twenty six twenty four win on NBC Sunday Night Football. They did not get flexed, and they went out and gave NBC a good game. And for some reason, Cooper Rush just keeps winning on Sunday Night Football in front of a national TV audience. One on Halloween Night one here, I mean one on Thanksgiving Day. I mean dudes, got a whole bunch of starts in prime time in his career.
Speaker 4: Boy nine lives this man Cooper Rush twenty six or thirty five, twenty six or thirty five. It was not perfect. It was not perfect. There were a couple throws, Seed Lamb went over to the bench like, what was that? But the winning prime time is a winning prime Time.
Speaker 7: I must give him credit for gutting it out. Okay, so before the break, we're back on. Jesse's not a believer in bringing Mike McCarthy back.
Speaker 4: The opposite of Barry Church, by the way, when it comes down to loyalty and saying, you know, aligning himself, Barry is loyal to the soil.
Speaker 5: That necessarily is not approached the things either. My good brother Barry, I know you like Kellen Moore.
Speaker 4: I hope you love hibout love.
Speaker 7: And I keep going back into this premise of yeah, I have my thoughts, but I have to go back and think when I talk about this, the thoughts of the owner in general manager who did not box himself in last night after the game, appreciated what Mike McCarthy did and spoke before about how, hey man, we thought we basically somebody died when we found out that Washington won the game and they went out there and they performed highly. I just don't see his appetite to go. I didn't get anyone else, and once again, who do you go get? Jesse you want to bring up some offensive names and some first time guys who have been head coaches.
Speaker 6: I don't see that you've played here.
Speaker 7: You understand that this is not just a football job.
Speaker 6: This is an entertainment plax that you deal with.
Speaker 7: I look at this job the way managing the New York Yankees used to be out of George time.
Speaker 6: Man, it's what we just see.
Speaker 2: Yes, what did we just see in the Netflix preview? This is bigger than football. He said it.
Speaker 5: He said, this is a soap op for three hundred and sixty five days a year.
Speaker 2: You're not coming here, and coach you coming here.
Speaker 7: I remember Christmas Sharp when he got here, he uh went went to lunch with him and uh and Dinnistman. He was like, Yeah, it's a little different than Seattle. You know, it's a lot lots of stuff's going on. So you may have a practice one day and all of a sudden, practice could get changed on you because you know, I just got stuff to do.
Speaker 2: The stuff you were.
Speaker 7: You here with us that day when they had the trailers out there for the Country Music Awards, and so they took up one side of the field and they had like, ohca is on the other side of that rained, and then they couldn't go into the forts and it because they had.
Speaker 6: To set up. It's different around here. It's the gift in the.
Speaker 4: Curse are Jerry landing during practice, It's the happens because he didn't.
Speaker 2: Know what time practice was starting.
Speaker 7: He didn't know time practice was so this is so it's is like you're you know, this is a different kind of jam man.
Speaker 2: So not everybody's cut out to do this.
Speaker 7: And oh, by the way, guess what, you will have a collaborative effort. You're not getting to make your own decision. They're gonna they're gonna work with you.
Speaker 5: The one thing I get to do if I'm an offensive play caller, it's called my own place. Design my own place. That's That's the part that I'm getting to. There's no one. No one realizes just how how big the tornado is until you're in the eye of it. Right once you're in the.
Speaker 6: Eye, I can't a certain thing. I can't.
Speaker 5: And I know that there's some other things when it comes to that too, you know, I know you know exact. But what I'm saying is I still would like to have somebody that is exceptional when it comes down to designing and profiling the plays that I am able to call on Sundays when you talk about like we're in week fifteen and I was seeing things last night, I'm like, oh, wow, look at him using these plays and actually using them to set up another play, right like the Cavante Turpin his first run he runs, that play comes right back to it again, the same thing, play action it catch bright coaching.
Speaker 2: I said, Oh, that's how you set up a play.
Speaker 5: That's that's the process of walking this thing down and setting things up, and far too often we are left, we are left our desires unfulfilled when the things that are happening offensively and my biggest the thing that I stand ten toes down on is that I brought you here to be a difference maker, and the difference has it been made not well enough to that it's going to get us to a place of ultimate success. And that's where I'm like, we gotta do something else, because bringing him back doesn't change the fact that you're.
Speaker 2: Still going to be who you are in the ninth inning. Players don't.
Speaker 5: You ain't changing the play a game of the ninth in it, And so you give them three more years or four more years or whatever the deal would be.
Speaker 2: What changes.
Speaker 6: That's a fair point, But I go back.
Speaker 7: I don't think the owner has the appetite to go out and make.
Speaker 4: A change because they're not going to go to college. They're not going to bring a guy from college into this job. That I mean, if you think about it, that's exactly what you're talking. This isn't an entertainment business. That guy wouldn't even be able to understand or even be able to withstand this the media storm.
Speaker 6: Come on, we've heard that name, but we.
Speaker 7: Have we've heard that that name, and you look at how sensitive this man is. Okay, you out in now La where they don't even really care the medium really showing up every day out there.
Speaker 4: You are.
Speaker 5: I'd rather have Cliff Kingsbury than Lincoln Raley. What if those are the options? Those are my two options that you were giving me, and I don't want either one of them. But if those were the two options, if that was an option, thatdn't get me.
Speaker 4: Who is a play caller in the NFL right now that you look at their game and you said that, I love that? Who's that guy offensive? Like an offensive play called OC Ben, Ben Johnson.
Speaker 2: Ben Johnson, Matt Lafleur. There's another one, McVeigh. McVeigh. You know it's McVeigh. Oh my god.
Speaker 5: McVeigh would be like, he's he gives you, he gives you an advantage. You hear a lot from the forty nine ers fans. They're talking about they ready to get rid of Kyle Shanahan. I'm like, God, please, what are y'all waiting on? Because if you do, if you do, I'll drive, So I'll drive, the saying friend to.
Speaker 2: Pick him up for y'all. Let me ask you this. Let me just's this here.
Speaker 7: If because Mike's a free agent, he can decided he wants to go coach the Saints, would you be willing to give up a draft pick for and I'm not naming any names, not naming any coaches, but would you be willing to trade for a coach?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay, what coaches out there?
Speaker 7: We will do that.
Speaker 2: We can't do that, okay, all right, but I'm just saying, just would you yes? Okay, okay, Yes.
Speaker 4: There is a coach out here, fictitional coach out here that you believe if you bring him in here, he's going to be that kind of change agent that you you would trade first round picks for. Yeah, okay, yeah, yes.
Speaker 7: Because the itches we need all around.
Speaker 2: Yes, I believe if you.
Speaker 7: Look at the guy next year, he's really he's ready to give you that axe.
Speaker 2: Step too slow, yeah, step slow.
Speaker 4: There, thank you. Don't stop wearing hell right now, wearing hell. Yes, we got it right before Christmas. Oh year, I had got it.
Speaker 6: We gotta go, We gotta go, guys, we gotta go, we gotta go. And it's coach Tony said, what are you gonna do? I can't do it for you.
Speaker 2: What do you get it?
Speaker 4: Goodbye.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.