Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is the closing bell on this stock movers report the company's making moves at the close of US trading with Carol Masser, Tim Stenebeck, Romain Bostik, and Katie Greifel.
Speaker 3: Only one hundred and seventy seven names gaining ground in today's session in the S and P five hundred. Katie had three hundred and twenty four names losing ground today to unchanged.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you saw a similar breath picture when you take a look at the sector level as well. When you take a look at that circle, five sectors finish in the green, six in the red. In terms of what did gain today, information technology hired by about two and a half percent. As a sector, Consumer discretionary also popping about one point four percent. Those are your big winners on the day. In terms of what didn't perform, healthcare down about one point four percent. We know that Eli Lilly has had a rough go of things lately. Industrials also down about nine percent.
Speaker 3: Carol, all right, guys, let's go to some of the individual gainers. No surprise, I'm going to go to the semiconductor area, including of course Intel just soaring on its blockbuster report. It is the number one gainer in the S and P five hundred the Nasdaq one hundred, up twenty three percent in today's session. But not alone. You had arm AMD, Qualcom, all of these names hire in today's session, up almost fifteen percent.
Speaker 1: Can I just give you the stat there, best day since October twenty ninth, nineteen eighty seven. I don't know if you're old enough, Carol, if you're to remember what happened. I'm in October nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 5: I was in I remember what happened that day.
Speaker 4: What happens?
Speaker 5: That was Black Monday.
Speaker 3: It was Black Monday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we were talking about the dow back then, Dow, I know, and.
Speaker 4: Look where that got them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look right now, all right, so thank you for that, percaring continue talking, Yeah, I would like to. All right, So anyway, socks up for an eighteenth straight day. We're up nearly around fifty percent in that timeframe. Take a look, folks, I know for those who are listening on radio, but it is a straight shot up in the last eighteen days. So quite some outperformance. We know about.
Speaker 1: We were talking with Steve Sasnik earlier. You know, eighteen straight days, longest wind streak for that index since it was a form back in nineteen ninety four. He said that the last the longest streak prior to this was like nine days, so basically double that daily win streak. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean it's really kind of crazy, and that is pretty significant if you look at that stat I should also point out AMD was upgraded to buy from neutral price target rates.
Speaker 1: To bring back on this day.
Speaker 3: He's seventy five from two twenty at DA Davison. Yeah, I'm just going to ignore him. Anyway, We're going to move on. Let's go on over to alphabet. One more name for you. Google's going to invest ten billion in Anthropic with another thirty billion potential follow a three hundred and forty billion dollar valuation. Now, so we just continue Alphabet chairs. You can see up about one and a half percent. And I just want to mention, honorable men. Don't get mad at me, Finley, but spirit Aviation was out forty six percent. Again, it's like a dollar something a share about again, some talk about the government maybe taking a position, and then iHeart holding merger talks with serious iHeart it was stopped because of volatility and trading, but when it stopped, it was up about fourteen percent. So I'm just going to throw those.
Speaker 5: Into If the US government buys Spirit, do we get a discount buying it?
Speaker 4: That's a great question.
Speaker 5: Why would we Or do we get to bring a do we get to bring a bag without paying?
Speaker 4: I thought I'm going to talk about the US government buying iHeart, and I thought that was going to be interesting, But who knows.
Speaker 5: Hey, we got some decliners even though today was such a risk on day. I want to start with the worst performer in the S and P five hundred. Charter Communications fell by more than twenty five percent today. This after the company reported underwhelming quarterly results. It lost one hundred and seventeen thousand residential customers at its Spectrum Internet brand, once again the worst performer, losing a quarter of its market cap just in today's trading session.
Speaker 1: That's the biggest drop ever.
Speaker 5: That's a big.
Speaker 1: One, Yeah, since two thousand and nine.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's move on to HCA Healthcare. This company also felt today by more than eight point eight per eight point seven percent. Eight point eight percent was the decline It opted against raising its yearly profit and sales guidance despite first quarter profit feeding analysts you used. Remember it's a hospital operator, so first quarter admissions were lower than expected due to a decline in people going to the er or being admitted with respiratory illness HbA holdings following eight point eight percent. And finally, Avis Budget Group, take your car. I love the story. Down eleven percent today. Wow, it's wiped out nearly all of its six hundred percent surge over the previous month in just two days. Romain no clear cause except you know, yeah, met I guess clastic short squeeze.
Speaker 1: Seventy one percent drop just in the past three sessions. So and there's a great story in the Bloomberg Terminal that provides a lot of context for the run up in those yares.
Speaker 5: Well, remember it went back to this idea of a government shutdown and people saying, wait a second, if the government shut down and you can't get through airport security, maybe everybody will drive everywhere instead, right, And that was sort of the beginning of this run huh.
Speaker 4: Well, but that's a fundamental Rea, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think there was a little bit more than the fundamentals.
Speaker 1: I encourage everyone to read that story on the Bloomberg Terminal quick check of yields. Here we did seal yields dropped significantly and that did help to aid the market rally down about six basis points on the shorter end of the curve longer end of the curve. The moves were a little bit less dramatic here, but of course that is the setup. Don't forget next week. Next Wednesday we do get a FED decision day, no expectation for rates to move, but of course a lot of speculation about what the debate will be about where we go next.
Speaker 2: This stock Movers report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.