Speaker 1: You can watch the original episode we'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's Curby Your Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max. You can also watch the video version of the History of Curby Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube, as well. Links available in the episode description. All Right, Jeff, what's going on? Hi?
Speaker 2: I'm Susie Esmond. We're recording.
Speaker 3: Okay, I know, but fuck it. Hi, everybody, It's me Jeff Garland and I was confused.
Speaker 1: All right, we are on. You know, it's so funny, Jeff. This is season four episode for the Weatherman. This feels like yesterday to me. What the weather Man or filming this? I remember it so well for some.
Speaker 3: Reason, remember all of them so well, but.
Speaker 2: This one, for some reason, just sticks out to me.
Speaker 3: Well, when you see it, that's when the memories come flooding in, including for me. And I'm swear to god, I'm not making up m's a craft service, like I'll be like, oh I went and had that, And I'm not kidding.
Speaker 2: All right, this is something disturbed about that.
Speaker 3: Dear. No, No, I'm not saying that's normal. I'm just saying that's a fact. But I also remembered other things from that day.
Speaker 1: Well, this episode, yeah, I think covers Larry's two major obsessions, which are dental hygiene and golf.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, so we start out at the dentist. We've done so many scenes at the dentist. Do you realize that? Yes, and the hygienis Delilah.
Speaker 3: Maria Canal's I was on Wizards of Waverley with I really played the mother on Wizards of Waverley. I was uncle Kelbo.
Speaker 2: What a career, Uncle Kelbo, Uncle Kelbo.
Speaker 1: I want to shut the.
Speaker 2: Door because I hear Jimmy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he loves Wizards of Waverley. You don't want to get him excited.
Speaker 1: It's his favorite show. So Larry's doing a thing with his mouth like stick in his tongue out and clearly Delilah makes a face thinking like he's, you know, making a sexual move towards her.
Speaker 2: So we wanted or is she a possibility for the anniversary? Who knows?
Speaker 3: I disagree. I think she's seen many a tongue bounce around.
Speaker 2: I don't know she looked at him all.
Speaker 3: By the way, agree to disagree.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought she looked at him like liking it. You know finding it attractive.
Speaker 3: My thing is she liked everything he did, like she came in on fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then the dentist shows up. Who is doctor Funkhauser. Who is Saul rubinek Ye, who's a terrific actor, terrific in this episode. Yes, And we find out that Larry's allergic to gas, and Saul tells him to open his mouth and he takes a polaroid of his mouth for insurance.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of that.
Speaker 1: It's never been done to me, but maybe it's a thing that he needs a picture of the tooth for the insurance. And Saul thanks him for going to his uncle Leo's testimonial.
Speaker 3: That he's going to go.
Speaker 1: He's going to go, that he's going to be coming, and people coming from all over They're coming from Russia, They're coming from all over the world to go to Leo Funkhauser's testimonial. And he wants to give Larry a shot because he won't take the guess. And Larry's worried about his sleep, rolling up his sleeve of his sweater because he thinks if he pushes the sleeve up, the elasticity in the cuff is going to be destroyed.
Speaker 3: He's really right with those kind of shirts. They're very sensitive, you know, the.
Speaker 1: Cas elasticity sensitive elasticity, yes, indeed, and you know the wrist is clinging and it's not going to cling. And Saul snaps back, you're crazy, what's the matter with you? And Larry's an expert on elasticity, and Larry was going to take the shirt off, so they compromise. He'll take the shirt off. And then Saul is in a rush because somebody comes in and there's a phone call, there's an emergency, and he just pushes the sleepy that's Alison Lyon.
Speaker 3: I like giving credit when I know the actor or actress. That's Alison Lyon playing the assistant. Not a big role, but I like giving credit.
Speaker 2: Of course he should give credit what credit is due.
Speaker 1: So Saul is very famished and he just shoves the shirt up.
Speaker 3: All right, you know what we're just going to right out. I haven't got that.
Speaker 4: I was gonna take the shirtle I have people with real problems in there, Larry and I have to do this now.
Speaker 3: I have but hysteric on the phone. I have people in the waiting room, and this is enough already it's enough. I'm saying five minutes, you're gonna feel fine. What line is it? Line one? Oh great? Look you ruined the shirt.
Speaker 4: Look look at this cuff and it's flopping all over the place.
Speaker 3: Look at that.
Speaker 1: And he asked the hygienist what's wrong with him? And she says he's not himself. His uncle has Hotchkins, meaning Uncle Leo, who the testimony lives for. And Larry says, yeah, but it's the good Hotchkins.
Speaker 3: No is it the good Hodgkins or the bad Hotchins?
Speaker 1: No, Larry says, but yeah, but it's the good Hotchkins. He says that why is he upset? Because it's the good Hotchkins. And I'll tell you something I don't know. If you remember at Caroline's, if you remember Kenny Quinn who was the kind of managed the place and his son Paul, Remember Kenny and his son Paul did have Hotchkins and was the good Hotchkins. And this episode meant so much to Paul what he was going through all of that, because I would go to Carolyn's. You know, we talked to me about it, that he was able to laugh about the good Hotchkins when he was going to Hodgkins.
Speaker 3: Hodgkins, did you know that?
Speaker 2: Still? I know it's good. There's nothing good about.
Speaker 3: It, non Hodgkins. Lymphoma is pretty much a death sentence or a very tough road. But Hodgkins is also tough.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: There's no good Hotchkins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not like a rainbow.
Speaker 1: But Paul was very you know, this tickled him, having Hotchkins and going through all the horrors that he was going through with chemo and treatment. This episode meant something to him and he laughed about it. And I always love when that happens.
Speaker 3: The number of times that people have come up to me so many, Yes, you know, my father just died. It was the first time I laughed. We used to watch the show together, or we watched it in his hospital room.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've thought I've heard.
Speaker 3: A lot, or my mom this, or my sister.
Speaker 1: I was at dinner recently with a friend and another friend of his was there, and she told me that when her husband was dying, all he wanted to do was lay in bed and watch Curb and he watched it over and over and over again.
Speaker 3: I've always said I've never said it on here, but I've said this because I figured it out very early on. Yes, I'm a comedian, but my job is to ease people's pain. That's my job, flat out. Because you're laughing, whatever pain you got, even in that moment is gone. And Susie, by the way, you ease the pain too. I don't know if you knew that.
Speaker 2: Well, I will tell you something.
Speaker 1: It's not to sound Pollyanna or anything, but I've always felt that it's a wonderful thing to do for a living, to make people laugh.
Speaker 2: It's putting a good thing into the world.
Speaker 3: And there's been a saying with comedy, well, it ain't brain surgery. Yes, we're not trained for brain surgery, but it still is, in my opinion and your opinion, very important to.
Speaker 2: Help I think the world laugh.
Speaker 3: You know. I imagine when someone's having brain surgery, they really think that comedians don't matter until they recovery. Hold on when they recovery and they're laughing. Yes, okay.
Speaker 1: So they were in Larry's house and Nat Shelley Burman, his father, is there eating a sandwich, and Larry comes out of the bathroom and he tells.
Speaker 4: Them next time he used the bathroom, make sure to keep the seat down. She went, it's not really about her, It's about me.
Speaker 2: I peece sitting down.
Speaker 3: How long you have been doing that?
Speaker 4: Well, it's started because I was getting up to go at nights sometimes and and I didn't feel like putting the light on, so I would sit down, and then I, you know, got I got very comfortable with it.
Speaker 3: A man doesn't do that. A man stands up to I like.
Speaker 4: To sit down, and I don't want to wind up in the toilet because you're keeping the seat up.
Speaker 3: Keep the seat down. Oh you stand like a person. I'm very upset with this. This is crazy.
Speaker 4: You know what Winston Churchill said? Why stand when you can sit? Have you ever heard that expression?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I never heard that expression. But yeah, I don't think he meant the toilet.
Speaker 1: Could you please put the toilet seat down? Because I pee sitting down? And NAT's an It doesn't like that one bit. What's the metal with you?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Man peace sitting down? And you know he's disappointed in his son. And Larry says, you want me to get your glaucoma meds whatever? And Cheryl walks in and she says that Susie invited them to a dinner party Friday, the night before the testimonial of pre testimonial dinner party, and Marty funk Kaser will be there and Ted and Mary will be there. And that's the thing that Ted and Mary being there that turns Larry to say, oh, yeah, sure.
Speaker 3: We'll go right right right.
Speaker 1: So Larry only says yes because Ted and Mary are coming. And then he shows Cheryl the stretched out cup and look at this, you see this?
Speaker 2: Look what funk hows it did to me, doctor Funkaser.
Speaker 1: They're on their way to our house for dinner, and Cheryl is opening the mail she picked it up on the way out, and there's a bill from doctor Funkhauser and then she screams, like screeching scream there's a picture of Larry's tooth and Cheryl is completely grossed out. Now we never see the picture, but you could imagine it's probably bloody and disgusting.
Speaker 3: And I think that was a very good idea not to see that.
Speaker 2: No, we didn't need to see the picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So they come to our house and then we cut to Larry is talking to a Russian couple and the man boris I believe his name, I don't know what his name, his character's name was the actor.
Speaker 2: I remember his name was Boris.
Speaker 3: That guy was a very it is a very successful character actor.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was in the Americans, and wasn't.
Speaker 3: He in the movie with Robin Williams.
Speaker 2: Where he's a rushansco on Hudson.
Speaker 3: I think he was an awesome Moscow.
Speaker 2: His name is Boris.
Speaker 1: I remember his name was Boris and he was a delight and his But in the episode, he doesn't speak English, so his wife is translating everything.
Speaker 3: And I believe they're doing actual Russian. It's not like gibberish.
Speaker 1: Oh no, they were speaking Russian. They were absolutely speaking Ussian.
Speaker 3: Well a lot of times it's gibbris.
Speaker 1: So Larry says, I wish I could do that with my wife, which is hilarious to think of. And Boris is barefoot and he's wearing a Yamaica and he wants to try on Larry's glasses.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy your glasses? And in France Los Angeles in the mirror can he try it on?
Speaker 4: You know what, I don't really like people trying my glasses.
Speaker 1: Just for one minute. I'd rather not.
Speaker 3: He's a guest here, so like I understand that.
Speaker 4: Doesn't mean, I need him to try.
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: And Larry's as we know, it would not be comfortable having him try and his glasses and Boris tries to grab them.
Speaker 3: Nobody would that because do you know the number one thing is when you put them back on, they don't fit right.
Speaker 1: Well, we actually season twelve, we actually have that happened.
Speaker 3: I don't remember.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I involved, but that it's a whole thing.
Speaker 1: How could you not remember it? You'll see I don't want to say it. Oh yes, anyway he wants. He goes to take Larry's glasses and I comes, and then Boris goes to grab the glasses, and uh, they.
Speaker 3: Kind of wrestle. They get into a fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they kind of wrestle.
Speaker 1: And Larry says to you, this Russian is nuts, and he's like telling you he's nuts. And then he's like, where's Teda Mary? And you say, Teda Mary couldn't come that at a premiere And I say, Jeffrey, I've said many many times I need your help. Yeah, And Larry sits down and he calls Oscar over our German shepherd, and Oscar puts his face and Larry's crotch and dogs do that all the time.
Speaker 2: They put their face.
Speaker 3: Kind to the dog, having nothing to do with his crosh.
Speaker 1: And he loves Oscar and I then you cut to see me watching this thinking that something perverse and disgusting is going on, and I say to him, enjoying the dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but by the way, completely believe that that would be your reaction.
Speaker 1: Yes, And off stage, I say to you, and he's going to take care of tenk.
Speaker 3: Now is that a loop?
Speaker 1: Yes, that was a loop, And for those of.
Speaker 3: You listening who don't know what that is, sometimes on our show, this is the way looping works. You record afterwards in the sound studio, an extra line. Sometimes you go over your own line to add a piece of information, and or man.
Speaker 2: Because the sound was off.
Speaker 1: You we're talking about before the whole thing that happened with Saul Rubinik, and the sound was off. Sometimes the sound is off and it can be fixed in post.
Speaker 3: But a lot of times, mostly on our show, it's someone saying something off camera that they need for.
Speaker 1: Story, that the information is necessary for the storyline, and this information was necessary for the story doubt. Yes, Yeah, we'll be right back, Stay tuned.
Speaker 5: Okay, we're back.
Speaker 1: So we're sitting at the dinner table and Larry cannot stop staring at Boris's feet. It's like really disturbing him, just staring at Boris's feet. And Sammy comes over, Hi, Larry, right, and she says, maybe you should take your shoes off like that guy. And then Sammy proceeds to untie larry sneaker and run away with it.
Speaker 2: So she takes Larry's ship.
Speaker 3: Oh, I have a question. Doesn't the Bob Einstein moment happen before that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Where he's on the couch and asking Larry a question because I thought it all ends with the dinner now, Okay.
Speaker 2: Well asking what question? Maybe maybe I didn't write it down.
Speaker 3: What question it was? Is this the first appearance of Bob on the show?
Speaker 1: Did he already do it? It is the first very first appearance. Yes, I wanted to talk about him.
Speaker 3: Okay, we well in a second, because.
Speaker 1: He comes up next and he says to Larry, Larry ever here at DENTI frame.
Speaker 3: I think, No, No, DENTI friend? You ever hear a DENTI friend d friend?
Speaker 1: No, it's a new Sonic toothbrush that would really get rid of your plaque.
Speaker 3: Now, you know he made that up, Larry, have you ever heard of dent to friend?
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Bobby.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm thinking there first thing he ever says on the show is fucking hilarious.
Speaker 2: And that was the first time we see him.
Speaker 3: And that's not in the outline. That is him making up a product.
Speaker 1: But what wasn't the outline was the whole issue with Larry having platte. Yes, Larry, it's a new Sonic toothbrush that gets rid of plaque. And while he's doing that, the Russian wife is translated to the husband exactly what's going on. But let's talk about Bob right here. This is the first time he's on the show. Is the season four. Now, I did not know him. This was the first day I met him. Oh, Bob.
Speaker 2: I didn't know Bob.
Speaker 1: I had a connection to Bob because his aunt b was very I was very close with She was like an aunt to me. And Aunt Dee was Parky Carcass's sister, his father's.
Speaker 3: Sister, Parker Carcass right.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, yeah, And that was Bob's father, who was an old Ford Villian stand up comic. And Bee was married to Zeke Manors, who was also an old Ward Villian, and they lived across the street from me growing up in men Fern and and I was very very close to be so Bob loved me. She was his favorite aunt and she was hilariously funny. So Bob and I immediately had this connection about Aunt Bee, who was like an aunt to me as well.
Speaker 2: And that was it. From then on, we were just like best friends.
Speaker 3: Well, we were all very close. And Marla my ex, and Bob and Berta his wife. Roberta, the four of us went out to dinner all the time, I know, and Bob loved Marla like crazy about her. And Bob became one of my best friends. Now I knew him before this, but not.
Speaker 1: Well, how did he get this part? Do you know?
Speaker 3: Larry just said to me for this part, I want to hire Bob Einstein.
Speaker 1: And no audition, nothing, no, no audition.
Speaker 3: And we did not know at the time what a gift he would be to the show and personally. And I can say that in my lifetime privately, very difficult when he passed away, very difficult.
Speaker 1: Very very high.
Speaker 3: And he had had he had had a bad case of pneumonia, so he was late to coming to the show for the season, and then he found out towards the end, when the pneumonia was going away, that he had I believe non Hodgkins lymphoma.
Speaker 1: I thought it was leukemia, but very similar both blood cancers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I can say that his death profoundly affected our show totally, because there wasn't a day where one of us didn't get very upset. I remember this happened a few times, having lunched the group of us at lunchtime and Larry having to leave the table because he was so upset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, we all were.
Speaker 3: No, it really had.
Speaker 1: I would bet you and I could be wrong about this, but I would imagine that when he was cast for this episode in season four, there was not a sense that he was going to be a recurring character through all the next season.
Speaker 3: There was, but he wanted him to be in the golfing scene, but he put him here, and yeah he was. I mean, you say the word gift. The way JB when he came on the show was also a gift. And like we've said before, are ensemble extraordinarily close. Now. I remember being well, I have so many Bob stories, but I remember being in canters and Canters used to have these separators that you pull up and down the audience.
Speaker 2: What Canters is.
Speaker 3: Beverly Hills. It's a deli.
Speaker 2: It's a Jewish deli in Beverly.
Speaker 3: Hills, long long time, just like Canters. And you know, there used to be a divider between booths, you know, so people couldn't really pay attention to what you're talking or see you. This particular night, all the dividers were down. Bob and I are sitting and talking, and then out of nowhere, he looks at the lady who's alone in the booths and what are you listening to? Why are you big bag? Yes, she had made faces and he lost it, and I was like, I was aghast and laughing so hard. I was crying, which is a lot of Bob's humor. But I also want to say there's only one positive thing about him not being anymore here anymore, because he wouldn't have worked anymore except for Kurb because if he did anything else, his mouth was completely in these days inappropriate.
Speaker 1: He was as politically incorrect as you could get, no, but more.
Speaker 3: So than anyone I'd ever met in public in person. But on the set he made me look like a little bird. It's just he thought differently than anyone I'd ever met, and always.
Speaker 1: Funny, always funny, and always a huge pain in the ass.
Speaker 2: I mean the biggest pay.
Speaker 3: Hold on, hold on, you got the phone calls after we were done filming, we all did, which word, Wasn't that great? Wasn't that great? That's the best see I've ever filmed. I was so funny. You were funny. No, no one of us, if not all of us.
Speaker 1: Every day was never a time when we work together. That driving home I did that get not one, but maybe three four five phone calls?
Speaker 3: No, I know, Yeah, that was really funny. But I really loved him and I treasured my friendship with him. We were very close and I spent a lot of time with him in Palm Springs too, where he has a house. He was a great host. Yeah, that one well to this day, you know, when we did the documentary you and I for HBO about his life, and please, if you haven't seen that and you're a curb fan, please watch it. It is a delight to honor.
Speaker 1: As a matter of fact, Jeff, if I recall I opened the documentary and you closed the documentary, it.
Speaker 3: Is completely true, and they showed a photograph of mine that was so Bob.
Speaker 1: Look behind you.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, that's Bob. Well I can't adjust the gym ken, but that's Bob with his character. When he was a writer partner with Steve Martin on the Smothers Brothers show, he played a character Officer Judy, and Bob gave that to me. It's not something that people can find, not that there's a big demand for memorabilia from the Smothers Brother's show, but nonetheless, there is a Bob Einstein thing. So every day I look at that, it makes me smile, and every day I think about him, and you know what, I don't get sad. I get really happy, you know, just the feelings about him create inside me, not dread. Yeah nothing.
Speaker 2: He also lived a full, amazing life.
Speaker 3: It's an amazing life.
Speaker 1: Last episode when we're talking about this talented young kid who died so young, this was different. Bobby lived a full, amazing life. Who has a wonderful daughter, Aaron, has two great grandkids that were devoted to him, and Berta, his wife was terrific.
Speaker 3: Berta his wife an angel who loved him so much. Now I wanted to had one more thing about Bob, but I'm having trouble coming up with it. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: We've said a lot of well these throughout the episode, so it'll come back time. So we meet Marty fon Kowser, who we know is going to be a huge part of the show in seasons to come.
Speaker 3: By the way, I burst out laughing the second he said, Larry, have you ever thought about dent to friend d friend? Which is just what a dent friend? I'm sorry, it just makes me laugh.
Speaker 1: And then he says to Larry, my cousin's hygienis told me you have a lot of plaque, and Larry's upset.
Speaker 2: Boris is laughing. Larry's upset.
Speaker 1: It's a patient Hygienni's confidentiality which doesn't exist. But Larry's right about this, you know, Larry's like I flussed twice a day. Larry's obsessed with dental hygiene. He is obsessed with dental hygiene as am I. I'll have a.
Speaker 2: PLAQ contest with you. You know, he goes on.
Speaker 3: By the way, he's morally wounded whenever anyone would mention his teeth aren't good.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know, he's a big Flosser and an always a mints in a gunment a.
Speaker 3: You know, it reminds me of when Shelley did the show. It might have been his first episode where we were in the whole funeral the mom died. Yeah, that was his first. So when we filmed in the cemetery, which was early on, you know, we don't film in order. We used to the first couple of seasons. Larry insisted that every scene, so we'd have to go back and forth to locations. It was very difficult as opposed to filming a location out like everything that takes place there. So anyhow, speaking of dental we were a very breath conscious set, so often we offer each other mints. Well, unbeknownst to whoever offered Shelley a mint in the trailer or during that day, Shelley thought he had something wrong with his breath, and he was very insulted. What's with my breath?
Speaker 2: You know, he was just very Shelley got insulted, very No.
Speaker 3: But this one was funny because everyone was offering him a mint. And I just think, because if I did something and all day everyone's offering me a mint, I'd be missed.
Speaker 1: Of course, So then Marty starts to talk about the weather man gave him a golf tip and get onto golf tips, and Marty starts to show the golf tip and all of a sudden, Sammy screams, bloody murder and she saw the picture of Larry's tooth.
Speaker 5: What is this?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's disgusting. What the hell is this?
Speaker 4: Wait a second, what is that's that's a picture on my my tooth.
Speaker 3: The dentist took it for insurance.
Speaker 1: Where did you get that.
Speaker 3: Jacket?
Speaker 4: Fell out of my jacket?
Speaker 5: What are you bringing that into a person's house?
Speaker 3: A mail into my car?
Speaker 5: House traumatized?
Speaker 1: I think we're going And it scared the crap at her and she's completely traumatized by it, and she says it fell out of Larry's jacket, which we know is bullshit. She took it out of Larry's jacket, and I'm like, what are you bringing that into a person's house for? And everyone leaves. It's a hole everywhere. Then Larry wants a sneaker and I'm like, send me ster traumatize, not right now. And then Larry's home watching TV and he's like, well, she could have told me where the sneaker is and Cheryl comes out of the bathroom and she feels sick as Susie's a horrible cook, and Larry's watching TV. And then the weather man comes on and it's going to rain and thundershower all day, So all you golfers out there, and that is Gary Kroger who plays the weather man right also terrific, did a terrific job.
Speaker 3: And by the way, Gary Kroger who plays the weatherman, I knew from Chicago. He was in the Practical Theater Company.
Speaker 1: What was that?
Speaker 3: That was a group of Northwestern actors who are also second city people who.
Speaker 2: Put together their I mean Northwestern University.
Speaker 3: Northwestern University, and they put together their own Julia Luis Dreyfus was part of that.
Speaker 1: Uh huh okay.
Speaker 3: And Gary Kroger was on SNL at the same time as Julie.
Speaker 1: A long time he was on SNL.
Speaker 3: They pretty much took everybody from the Practical on SNL if I'm not mistaken. But the funniest thing is I'm watching Colombo. I'm rewatching all the Columbos, and Rip Torn is the villain.
Speaker 2: I remember that episode and.
Speaker 3: It's always fun to see who gets murdered. Yeah, and it's Gary Kroger, his nephew who gets murdered. And Gary threw out and all was great. And then you know when is he going to get killed by rip torn because you know who's going to do the killing early on, it's.
Speaker 1: Usually the Beauty of Columbo. You always knew who was the kid showed ahead of time. Yeah, it was just about figuring out how Colombo was gonna find out.
Speaker 2: I love Colombo.
Speaker 5: We'll be right back, stay tuned, and we're back.
Speaker 1: So then you call Larry and you tell him you canceling because golf tomorrow because it's going to rain, right, And Larry says, let's see in the morning, and he's like, no, no, no, I'm going to stay home with Sammy. She's traumatized by the picture of the tooth, which is a little bit much. I mean, you know, buck up, kid, Yeah, but whatever, And it's the middle of the night, Larry gets up to pee.
Speaker 3: Hold on, that's how your character would react, So I, yes, I always believe it from your eyes.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm very protective of Sammy, that's you know.
Speaker 3: Oh you're also very protective of anything you do.
Speaker 2: Right, But I'm also protective of my husband.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And by the way, can I be honest, if you feel Larry's innocent and I know we had to have done this, you'll.
Speaker 2: Defend the stick up for him.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: It's the middle of the night, Larry gets up to pea and he falls in the toilet. Ah, what what happened?
Speaker 3: Larry?
Speaker 4: I fell on the toilet.
Speaker 1: Cheryl left the seat up when she was throwing up, and he hurt his back and he's soaking wet and in the morning his back is killing him. And it's a sunny, gorgeous, beautiful day, and he's like, this is not the first time the weather man has done this. The weather man predicts rain, so he could have the golf course all to himself right now. My husband, Jimmy, who is a golfer, totally buys into this premise.
Speaker 3: Well, by the way, if you're a weatherman, then you're a big golfer. You do that, And like, I completely believe it. It's unethic golf, I know, but I believe it. I believe it big time.
Speaker 1: So Larry goes to the golf course and he's got a cane and he's limping and he's got a cane because he heard himself falling in the toilet and he sees the the what do they call that? Chuck?
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 2: The in golf? The guy who I forgot the name of it.
Speaker 3: I don't actually play nine hole. There is a cast, guys.
Speaker 1: And Chuck says, there's hardly anybody there because of the weather forecast. But the weather man is out there playing with doctor Funk counsel right, and Chuck SAYSI, what's what the kinge Larry says, I fell in the toilet and then he hobbles out to the golf course and he sees the weather man and doctor Funkoster is Oil Rubinick, and he's just furious at them.
Speaker 4: Today huh yeah today for golf. Yeah, you know, I was supposed to play today and Jeff called me last night and canceled because of your weather report about thundershowers.
Speaker 3: Made a mistake, So what come o?
Speaker 1: Well I said it was going to be thundershowers.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, oops, oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, nice to see you.
Speaker 4: Too bad for me, take care, too bad for me.
Speaker 1: And the weatherman says, oh it's a sunny day. Oops, I made a mistake. So he seems guilty in that way.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, he doesn't. He is guilty. It's a parent when he chuckles.
Speaker 1: Well, Larry tells him his suspicion, and the weather man's like, what are you gonna report me? Because it's a nice day, and he says, besides, I'm not a weather man, I'm a meteorologist, right yeah, And there's a low pressure system coming in in the jet stream and blah blah blah. And then he tells Saul about the shirt it's not clinging and no more pictures of my mouth, and then he walks away and they're like one of them's I don't know which one screamed down, Hey, Walter Brennan, the Bond's on fire, which is just very hilarious.
Speaker 3: That was Gary.
Speaker 2: Kroger, that was his line.
Speaker 3: But sorry, I want to say Larry in the scene with his angry grum face limping like that, it reminds me of an old Laurel and Hardy movie And I can't think of the character who's the villain in that movie. March of the Toy Soldiers, which as a kid was one of my favorite movies. It still is. I love that movie.
Speaker 1: But Barnaby, I was never a Laurel and Hardy fan named what I was not a Laurel and Hardy fan.
Speaker 3: Welly thing about com you don't have to apologize. That's the thing about comedy. It's so personal, you know. So what one like Keaton might not make somebody laugh, but Charlie Chaplin does. They all make me laugh. But I love Laurel and Hardy. And the nicest compliment I ever get is when there's an episode and afterwards someone says to me, you guys remind me of Laurel and Hardy sometimes. Okay, So Barnaby, which is one of my favorite names. I've used it in movies and I call people to this day, I use the word Barnaby anyhow. Barnaby was the villain in Storybookland or wherever that took place. And he had a with a cane, just like Larry. So when I with the angry face and so when I saw him walking, especially.
Speaker 2: Off the golf and the music is great too, the music is.
Speaker 3: Great, And when he walked off the golf course, I immediately thought of Barnaby. And I love being able to say that.
Speaker 1: I know you do, okay, And then Larry runs into Ted at the golf course and Ted's like, why are you limping? He says, I fell in the toilet, and then Ted says him, you know what, you don't need to take care of Roxy my dog anymore.
Speaker 2: We've decided it's better if we just put.
Speaker 1: Her in a kennel. And Larry's like, I was looking forward to it, and then Larry says him, did you talk to Susie today? And Ted says, yeah, yeah, I spoke to this morning.
Speaker 3: He was apologizing or explaining why he wasn't.
Speaker 2: There, Yeah, and apologizing why he wasn't there.
Speaker 1: I Susie Esmond have always found it funny that in the show Ted Danson is close with Susie Green.
Speaker 2: It just makes me laugh.
Speaker 3: That's what makes it awesome. And by the way, I think this episode is the turn.
Speaker 2: What I mean by that is, I know what you're going to say, Yes, Yes, he.
Speaker 1: Becomes a cad at this moment, Ted Ted Ted.
Speaker 3: Does And I'm gonna tell you the funniest story about that, Ted. This is years later where he's really full on the cad anonymous all the shit, and we're talking about the scene that he's about to do it, and I don't know how it came up. He had no idea that he was the cad. Really no, no, I'm talking about no idea And I said, no, no, no, you're the bad guy on our show. He's like I am. He was so taken aback. He even had to say to Larry and I was upset that he was doing this because maybe Larry didn't want to deal with this. But he asked Larry, is this true? And Larry's like, yeah, the idea that he went years this is years later and didn't know that he was the cad. And by the way, Ted Danson very intelligent man.
Speaker 1: And so speaking of the cat, I mean he completely cads out later episodes when he starts dating Cheryl.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know he is. That's the worst thing could possibly do.
Speaker 3: All he does is poke Larry on the show. He pokes the bear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And my character plays right into that with Ted, and Larry is constantly talking Ted up to Larry just because I know, what a noise.
Speaker 3: Your character is so enamored with Ted. Yes, and I do love that you guys are close, which is to me awesome and not unbelievable. If you talk about a friend circle, if you.
Speaker 2: Will, that's true that's true. It just it tickles me.
Speaker 1: Let's put it that way.
Speaker 3: Yes, and Ted, as I've said before, in terms of who's your favorite actor to.
Speaker 2: Work you guess yes, And of all we all loved it.
Speaker 3: Dance and he's the best. But I also want to say him wearing the hat, because early on we see he has hair but it's thinning. But he's wearing the hat. And I don't know if that was a costumer thing or he asked for it, but either way.
Speaker 1: It's somehow reminded me great in the hat.
Speaker 3: He looks great. In the well, he looks great. He pretty much can pull off anything, but it reminded me that look. And I don't know he didn't have it in body heat. He did so many great movies early on, and.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't recall him having a hat and body heat.
Speaker 3: No, but he was dancing as he's waiting for William Hurt's character. He's dancing like a Broadway dancer on this doc.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 3: It's so beautiful to watch because that's William Hurt's saying as he walks up. And it was really good. Ted went to Carnegie.
Speaker 2: Mellon went to Carnegie Mellon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I and studied theater, so I wouldn't be surprised if he can dance.
Speaker 1: He's very well trained.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but him do it. That's one of my favorite things in Body.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, you see you know how versatile he is. I mean, he's hilariously funny. But in damages and so many different things where he was doing.
Speaker 3: Drama, he once played a pedophile.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I mean, and you believe you brought up to him many times. I didn't bring it up to him, you did, No, you did, I know. But nonetheless he's even pulled off pedophile and as soon as he was done filming, no one thought of him as a pedophile.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean. It didn't hang with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Larry comes in and he tells you that he pee's sitting down.
Speaker 3: You're pie sitting down? Yeah? Have you ever tried it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: It's more comfortable when you get up during the night.
Speaker 3: You don't have to turn the light on and wake up, and you get to read. What are you reading? I'm reading a lot of stuff. What stuff?
Speaker 4: If I peek twenty times during a dack, you get through all the whole New York.
Speaker 3: Times for God's sake twenty times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hey, buddy, when you're peeing all over your shoe, I'm learning something.
Speaker 1: You're like, who's peeing all over with this shoe?
Speaker 3: But by the way, the idea that he's peeing on his shoes and Larry's learning something that on the toilet he's learning he's reading biographies.
Speaker 2: Yes, And then I screamed down who's there?
Speaker 1: And you say, Larry, And then you hear me off stage say, Carmelina, put Oscar in the bedroom and close the door because I do not trust Larry with a dog at this point.
Speaker 2: And then Marty is there right away.
Speaker 1: Larry starts telling about the weatherman scam and he just says it raining so that he could have the golf course.
Speaker 2: And Marty says, do you peece sitting down? Do you crap standing up?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Brilliant. By the way, Bob Eyden that you know was Bob. That was such a bobble, I know.
Speaker 3: Unless he had to get out of information. Everything was Bob. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well that's true for all of us, but.
Speaker 3: Also for our listeners. I want to say this, what you saw on the screen was Bob Einstein. Like there wasn't much difference between Marty funk Kouzer and Bob Einstein hardly any like I'm not like my character, You're not like your character. Bob on screen very much like who he is.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: People always say to me, you know, are you guys like it?
Speaker 1: Larry, l Blas, Jeff and I always say no, none of us are like our characters except Richard Lewis.
Speaker 3: Oh No, Richard Lewis is more Richard Lewis off camera, So you see Richard Lewis off camera, he's more neurotic. So Richard Lewis and Bob Einstein, you're seeing a real piece of who they really are.
Speaker 1: And then Larry says, you know you left last night before you gave me the Weatherman tip, and and Marty says, I can't give it to you. He just called me on my cell phone and said, do not give Larry the tip. And then I come in and Larry says, Cheryl got nauseous from your dinner last night, and I fell in the toilet because I said, what the fuck are you doing with the cane?
Speaker 3: Hold on, let's take a step back. You're wearing a San Jose sharks from your collection. It's bedazzled but of all the one San Jose sharks with a shark on it. That is a non sequity in itself, and.
Speaker 1: I like, I wish I had that. I never kept anything. I should have kept those things. So you kept the I kept one sweatshirt?
Speaker 2: Was it Indiana?
Speaker 3: Indiana? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll wear that next episode?
Speaker 3: Okay, please do that would be awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah I should.
Speaker 1: And Larry says he fell in the toilet, and then he says to funk House, he says, how are you feeling?
Speaker 2: He says not great?
Speaker 1: And I said, you never feel great, Marty, And Larry says, did you talk to Ted dancing? I was like, yeah, yeah, I spoke to him this morning. And Larry says, yeah, he doesn't want to want me taking care of his dog. And Larry and I have is that where we have stare down?
Speaker 3: Yes? No, he starts to stare down with you. And by the way, we never show your side, if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 1: No, we don't.
Speaker 3: But here's the question I have for you. Did you ever do another stare down with him?
Speaker 1: Yes? Okay, once or twice? Not many?
Speaker 3: Okay, we try to stare down in the season where Larry we think he's going to die the hospital bed, you know, yeah, which we by the way, that was our longest day ever, seventeen hours. I remember it was the last day of filming, but it was seventeen hours. But he and I did a stare down and we got it. We did it, and then afterwards we both looked at each other and went, that'll never be in the show. It really didn't work with Larry and I doing doing a stairdown because we both know that we're getting the straight dope from one another, right, truth is happening.
Speaker 1: We work with my character, but no, certainly not mine. But we've done very few, and I remember I don't remember this one, but I remember another one we did where we barely could get through it.
Speaker 2: I mean, the two of us just got the gateway.
Speaker 3: Almost all of us stare downs, but especially you.
Speaker 2: He breaks yeah, So.
Speaker 1: We don't have him that many. Then, Larry, Larry s Morny, does your father have the good Hotchkins again?
Speaker 6: Just like just out of nowhere, We'll be right back, stay tuned, and we're back.
Speaker 1: And then I bring the sneaker to Larry and it's all chewed up, and I say, oscar ate it, which it was like you know, because you abused him.
Speaker 2: He ate your fucking sneaker, asshole. And then we're.
Speaker 1: Back at Larry's house and he's watching the weather again and there's the weather man, Gary Kroger, and it's the weather's beautiful today, but it's going to rain on Sunday. Poor, poor, poor, Next we go to Leo's testimonial. Now it's funny to me that instead of Leo's birthday, Leo's this we call at a testimonial.
Speaker 2: That just strikes me funny.
Speaker 3: Well, by the way, golf clubs have lame shit like that. Truly, for me, the groucher March joke applies to golf clubs. I would never want.
Speaker 2: To be in a club that he as a member.
Speaker 3: But the premise with me, like I played nine hole. I played public courses on occasion because eighteen is a lot for me to focus on. So I love playing nine hole. I bring three clubs delightful. But I have to say that the idea of meeting up with a board and telling him what charities I give to what my life is like all personal shit. Go fuck yourselves. I ain't telling you shit about me.
Speaker 2: Well, you should be there, you should be coming up with that.
Speaker 3: No I know.
Speaker 2: So they're at the testimonial and they're checking in.
Speaker 3: By the way, I'm a man of the people. I would never belong to. I've played it Riviera. I've played lots of private clubs as I'm invited, but I I always drive home like feeling like I got a puke.
Speaker 1: Keep doing Okay. So they check in at the club and they're given name tags and Larry doesn't want to put the name tag on, and Saul comes over high and what's with the name tags? And I've got to sway jacket. It's going to ruin the jacket. And Saul's like, just put the name tag on, like the way he did it with the sleeve. He just pushed the sleeve up and just put the name tag on. Then they're in this big banquet right hold on.
Speaker 3: Saul puts the name tag on Larry and pushes it quite hard.
Speaker 1: Yes, And then it's a big banquet room. You and I are there and they're not at our table. So Larry tries to switch, which.
Speaker 3: By the way, is really funny because he has to backtrack. Right, Oh, I was just making his know the people.
Speaker 2: It was Catherine ju justin terrific character actress.
Speaker 1: She was in the West Wing she played the secretary and in Desperate House.
Speaker 3: Zero mostelle role. And the funny thing happened in the way to the forum.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, and she stops him and she's Jenny and Sam and then she says to I heard about you plack problem.
Speaker 3: Now before that, hold on, I want to say something. It's a really funny moment when she says Jenny and Sam, because you told him to.
Speaker 2: Sit there, and I told her. Switch switches the plaque.
Speaker 3: And in the middle of it, he's holding them and she says, that's my husband in my seat. He goes, yes, Jenny and Sam. I was just making sure that it said Jenny and Sam, which is absurdism, of course, you know, you know it's how she didn't catch on. But keep going, by the way, I've noticed that's a catchphrase for me. Keep going, I might eliminate it. I might make it even more exciting.
Speaker 1: So Jenny heard about his plaque problem. And then he sees the weatherman. The weatherman is like, where's your cane? And then he says, you told Marty not to give me the tip, and you said it's going to rain tomorrow. Bullshit, and the weather man said, good luck, O, it's gonna pour tomorrow. It's gonna be thunderstorms.
Speaker 3: Be truthful sometimes. But I is at the end of the testimonial because.
Speaker 2: I I don't know no.
Speaker 1: Then Marty is at the podium talking about his father, and his father is played by lou Ktel, who played my father many many years ago in a TV series I did called Baby Boom, and he played my father.
Speaker 2: Really, yes, I have.
Speaker 3: An amazing fact about him. He was Amazing Larry and Peewee's Big Adventure. Oh really, He's giving his plan to all the locals and then he says, is that good enough for you? Amazing Larry, And then he turns and it's this old guy with a multicolored mohawk.
Speaker 2: Now that was Louktel.
Speaker 3: Yes, but when I saw that, I laughed so hard because there was a complete non sequitor Amazing Larry bluff. But what you can find on YouTube is a scene that's cut from Peewee's Big Adventure where in the magic Shop he meets Amazing Larry. He's got normal hair. There's a whole thing with a floating hair piece and he goes it's not working, and then Peewee points outside and there's a young kid with a multicolored mohawk. He goes, maybe you need a new look. Yes, and he's amazing.
Speaker 1: It all makes more sense.
Speaker 3: No, but here's the thing, this is comedy. I imagine he noticed, and maybe Tim Burton noticed. It's much funnier in that scene for him to call him amazing Larry him have that hair and the way the character looks, than to know the backstory. The backstory takes that's where they cut it from the moment. Yes, but I always love when you can see, Oh yeah, it didn't need to be in the movie. He was a funny little scene, but you know.
Speaker 1: So, then Marty's at the podium, big duty. After that one big duty. Marty is at the podium talking about his father, and the Russians are sitting right in front of Larry, and the wife is translating very loud to the husband to everything that Larry's saying, and the hygienis by the way, Delilah is making goo goo.
Speaker 2: Eyes at Larry across in that scene.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then Larry pulls the name tag off and his suede is ruined. It's got little white things all over it, and he minds to Saul, look look what you did.
Speaker 2: And then he says to the Russians, excuse me, can you keep it down?
Speaker 1: And a fight starts with Boris and they talk about Larry's plaque and he's got a mouthful of plaque and Larry says, at least I don't hide my baldness with the yamaka.
Speaker 2: And the fight, he pulls off the lot yamaka. He tries to take his glasses.
Speaker 1: And as all this is happening, Larry hurts his back, which he had already heard.
Speaker 2: Falling peeing on the you know, falling in the in the toy.
Speaker 1: Yes, he reheard his back, and they introduced Leo Funkhauser and the entire room stands up, applauds, applauds, applauds, and Larry can't stand up, and everybody's turning to Larry.
Speaker 2: Larry stand up.
Speaker 1: Larry's stand up, including you and I, and he can stand up because he hurt his back, and it's like all hell breaks list.
Speaker 3: Okay, but I fought against this too. There are times because I didn't even want to film it. What I mean by that not the scene, but there shouldn't the choice. You mean the choice of all those people. What are people across the room mad at Larry for not standing up to talk about absurdism? That makes that's nonsense. So when we're on the set, I'm like, let's not even shoot this. Why are we shooting this? I can see shooting a few extra to have choices, but and by the way, we shot more than we're even in it. And the idea that the whole room is screaming at Larry to stand up man, that's pushing it. Every once in a while on the show I'm like, ah, that's too much, too much pushing. And this was one of those moments where it would have been great for you to say stand up. The leatherban, the weatherman, people close, the main characters, even the woman who seats Jenny. Yeah, but past that, the idea that the opposite corner of the room they're yelling stand up. It doesn't need all help could have broke loose in a very contained way. That's it. And even Bob Einstein on stage could be screaming to Larry why aren't you standing up? But he's not all right. That's how I would have done.
Speaker 1: And then we cut to it's pouring rain and he is on the golf courtse with Stu Browdie. It had the freaking rain. It had the freaking rain, and Stu was just saying it had to freaking rain because you've already established the freaking instead of fucking and that's it. Now.
Speaker 3: I remember filming that day and this is something I'm gonna do. You know, I have earlier episodes I've talked about early seasons, technical things and cuts and shots that I found disturbing. This was, I believe didn't Larry Charlie, who do you right?
Speaker 1: Know?
Speaker 3: Why do you directed this episode? But even when I was there, I felt it was gonna be good. The rain machines we had it looks so good. And now watching the episode because it's cloudy. It was cloudy that day, Oh my god, it looks like it's pouring on them. Yeah, and it is in a small contained way, but even when you go to the wide shot, it looks like it looks like I'm bob so yeah. But that was very impressive because quite often you see rain scenes in movie and TV and maybe I'm too close to it, but I look and I go, that is just rain. Because you look in the distance, there's sun reflecting off buildings, There's all this, but right where you see the characters pouring rain pouring. See, that's what you know. It's kind of unfortunate. I don't know if you have this problem, but myself, I have this problem. I have a bonus critical eye. Sometimes people watch a movie, they go story wise, that doesn't make sense, blodedy, bloh okay. For me, it's technical things that I know. Like if I'm watching something and I can totally in my mind see them shooting it or technically something's wrong, takes me completely out of the movie. That's why when I go to a movie, and I haven't been one in a long time, but I watch a lot on my television, but in the movie theater, when I watch a movie and at no point do I notice anything, it thrills me.
Speaker 1: Well, then you're engaged. I don't have that problem than other people's things. I have problems with things that I do because like when I watch Curb, I'm like, oh, that was the day that such and such happened, and.
Speaker 2: That was it, you know, right.
Speaker 1: I always have to watch a Curb episode a few times to really see it because I have so many references and so many.
Speaker 3: Yeah, by the way, that's for the most part what I'm doing now. Although in this episode I pointed out a couple of things that bothered me, but in general, watching them now with fresh eyes, yes, feelings and thoughts come back, but I get lost in the episode. I have so much fun writing down notes. Although I don't know if I mentioned this before, I'm a gas curb is the only thing that I watch myself, and for example.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've talked about that time.
Speaker 3: So for me to watch these again, I dread it. Like I'm seen with you and Larry. I love, but I don't love watching myself, especially because I'm so heavy then. Although I empathize with that version of just.
Speaker 2: I feel the opposite. I'm so skinny then, Oh.
Speaker 3: You're still skinny.
Speaker 2: Now you're not as skinny as I was then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but actually I'm much skinnier than I was then.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're like a less than half.
Speaker 3: I know, by the way, you're pretty close. I know meyhow Yeah, so forgetting even the fat stuff, I do not like watching myself, and so when we when I look at the cuts. As a producer early on, I'm part of the storytelling the making. I'm behind the scenes, I'm part of the storytelling, so I'm okay with it. But once I go through with it, then I never want to see any of those episodes ever. Again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't feel that. I still love to see the episodes.
Speaker 3: I still love when I'm not in it. Other than that I'm in pain. And there are some episodes I'm not in, like even the one with the grave, the special section, I don't even talk in it. I'm in the montage, and I told you one of my favorite scenes was cut. I'm okay with those, except for the memory of the montage.
Speaker 1: I mean, I find the scenes that the episodes I'm not in, which are you know, not a lot.
Speaker 2: But this as the years go on, they get less and less.
Speaker 1: I am able to relax and watch them more easily when I'm not in it.
Speaker 3: When you and I have a day together that we're off and I see on the schedule that they're filming Connor scenes because I don't need to be there, I take those days off and I am doing a jig. And when I'm not in an episode, which happens maybe once a season, not twice, I am so happy to not have to put on a costume, to not have to go through makeup, to just sit in the chair and watch on the monitor. I feel like I'm in heaven, which most people, I imagine would imagine. I like when the camera's on me. It's fun. Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, I love putting on my costumes. But I like it because when we're doing scenes, it's so much fun. We have so much fun when we're doing scenes.
Speaker 3: That I don't like the process, although I love the people who put me through it. But I have to say that the process of me getting to set, can't stand, can't.
Speaker 2: Doesn't bother me. I don't love it. Nobody loves having the makeup done.
Speaker 3: What makes it better for me are the people I work with in that area, will make it a triff and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, and we're done for this episode.
Speaker 1: Jeff, Bye bye, everybody. The history of Curb Your Enthusiasm is the production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio Map, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.