Speaker 1: I'm tearing told and I'm Tory Hopes and you're listening to the NFL Players Second Acts podcast.
Speaker 2: Pieces.
Speaker 1: Thank y'all for tuning in. I'm Peanut tuning and this is my guy, Roman Dalmatian. You got these spots, Harper, this is the NFL player Second Acts Podcast.
Speaker 2: And uh yeah, you like that intro? Right, that was a good one I did.
Speaker 1: It's more of a blend. It's not really a dalmation. My hair's not spotted, but it definitely blends well.
Speaker 2: But thank you.
Speaker 1: First of all, give me give a shout out to all of our our listeners and followers out there.
Speaker 2: Give us a rating five stars.
Speaker 1: Please, wherever you listen to your podcast, where it's Apple Podcast or iHeartRadio, wherever you listen, please continue to tune in, watch, click follow, do all those special things. Tell a friend, to tell a friend, to tell a friend, now, Peanut, Yes, sir, who is our guests this morning in this beautiful studio. We got a good one today. We got a good one today. Fred's he's local, you know, he's out of California. He was the number five overall draft pick in a two thousand and nine draft taken by the j E t X Jets, Jets, Jets. All right, yes, played ten season, four different teams. He's one of only two quarterbacks in their first two years to go to the AFC Championship Game. He worked for Fox Sports. He calls games now. He's a USC m F and legend. Y'all please welcome in Mark Sanchez, ladies showman, thank you, thank you. I promise she will never get another intro like that ever again. I know you do TV, but that is like one of the you know that is that is a big time energy.
Speaker 3: I feel good now you feel that energy. I didn't know when I walked in. I was a little worried watching the whole setup. Yeah no, we just and then the intro scared me before the you know, the Dalmatian and then but we're good now I'm on.
Speaker 2: This is my uncle though, man, like he this is my uncle.
Speaker 1: This the deacon. You gotta think when you first saw this guy, he didn't not look so I'm actually yeah, like he looks like he's like one of those deep southern families. Were like, yeah, I'm the uncle that's younger than you know what I'm saying, like, this is where we're at, right, now, so it's all good, it's all acceptable. But Mark, this is my my first question. It's very current. All right, you were on Hard Knocks at one point in time. Have you watched the Hard Knocks this year and have you been keeping up with it? Knowing that it's the Jets. A lot of people didn't want the Jets. Aaron Rodgers didn't want to be on there, and we all kind of have our ways about Hard Knocks until all of a sudden you're on there.
Speaker 2: So it's give me your opinion on it.
Speaker 3: So it is interesting, and there is a shift I think from the lead up to it and then once you're on it. I think the lead up is a little scarier and bigger, and you know these big, bad cameras are going to be in there. But then when you're actually on it, you're so laser focused. And you guys know this as former players. You're just trying to you know, you guys are trying to get the ball back, we're trying to score points like that. Yeah, you don't even think about it, and you say the same silly stuff that you normally would. I think, are you miked up? So it's most of the time like everybody who's kind of mic or do you know, but in the game, certain players, right like specifically generally the quarterback, you know, for this one, it's Scarett Wilson, it's Sauce Gardner, it's Quinn Williams. They want, you know, the superstars, and then they'll throw the mics on some of the guys competing for jobs, and that'll be the you know, kind of feel good story of the guy trying to make the team and he could be a special teamer and injuries could happen, you know, all the same drama that they love to unfold. It inevitably unfolds in thirty two locker rooms around the league. They just capture one of them. But yes, I have been watching only because we were on it before. They do such a great job of, most importantly just making the players and the stories more of who they are, right right. Like you know, people think like, Okay, money changes you. No, I think it just makes you more of who you are. If you're charitable with one hundred doll you're gonna be charitable with a million dollars, you know what I mean. So this show should make you more of who you are. Well, if you're the raw, raw guy. If you're the breakdown the team guy, you know what I mean, If that's your role on the team, it's going to be even sexier on this show. Well if you're not that guy and you try to be that guy, oh dude, it's like the worst. You know, like when somebody just tries to break it down and you're just like, ooh, that guy couldn't even motivate me to eat a sandwich, you know what I mean, Like this is a free sandwich at that So it's I'm happy for Aaron because I've known him for a while. It's been a polarizing character in the NFL soap opera that is every season, right, and now people are starting to get a chance to see him the way he is as a teammate behind closed doors without you know, when you check all of your own personal political agenda, baggage, all the stuff at the door and you can just focus on football and being a good teammate and working hard and trying to win games. I mean, what else do you want? The dude's unbelievable to camp last week, they yes, Decker was there. I got a dude. The kid makes a cameo in Hard Knocks and Braylan Edwards is just blocking my visual the whole time. Dude, I'm you know this was this was about me? It was it was funny. They were doing the targets right yeah, yeah? Was this after or doing this was during practice and they're walking over to start scrimmaging with the Buccaneers and they're doing all these targets and Zach Wilson might have hit one in like all thirty of the throws from three quarterbacks, but in the episode the night before, I'm like, dude, you guys couldn't miss. So what's going on with the editing here?
Speaker 1: What are we doing?
Speaker 3: So I gave him a hard time and then Braylan blocked my visual on that.
Speaker 1: Was there ever a moment that caught you off guard when you did the hard Yes? So I did it with Rex right one, yes, and he was already He's like for the camera. Oh he was bill for it, you know what I mean. I think that's so important to talk about. It was like Phil wants to get a team. That's they want to show.
Speaker 3: Yes, they want Yes, you want to let's go get some and ice cream exactly. And that was that was very Rex just off the cuff and like, you know, as defensive guys, you'll appreciate this. As offensive guys, it kind of freaked me out. But Rex was like, I don't care if we play the game. I don't care if we just fight in the parking lot, like, we'll just figure it out. And I'm like, well, offense doesn't work like that. Okay, that worked for half the team. We'll go study a little bit. You guys go kick everyone's ass. We'll be there to try and score.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But Rex was perfect for it, and I think the guys on it are are shining the way they're supposed to, and it just gives it really is for the fans, and it gives them such insight on on what the players are like. When you, you know, make fun of other guys. The rookies have to do their rookie show. Their rookie show was terrible this year. It was terrible. Yes twice. I mean one of the guys went up and did the the eight mile b Rabbit thing and that was fine, but I just I was, you know, unimpressed. You gotta do the coaches meeting. Yeah, that's like the standard rookie show is right. You make fun of all the coaches and maybe throw one or two players in there.
Speaker 1: So they didn't do what we did. I did a whole physio ball.
Speaker 3: Under my shirt for Rex because this was before he had the surgery, right right, and he was real big. He was always snacking, so I had all these snacks in the top of the phisio ball under my thing. I put baby powder in my hair because he was all great at you know, Oh dude, we had a great team meeting.
Speaker 1: People understand like that how much that brings teams together when you have a good rookie show.
Speaker 2: If you're not in the ladder, you don't understand that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I tried to tell that it does matter. Teams they have great locker room.
Speaker 3: There is something. Okay, you have a great locker room, you have a great rookie show, and you generally have a good chaplain and a good chapel service. Yes, right, yeah, am I right? The best teams?
Speaker 2: I bet?
Speaker 3: Yes, Yes, he does talk about your first those teams matter. Those solid Our rookie show is legit. The rookies from the year before would help the guys when they and then here's kind of what we did. Check this out might want to think about this. Here's some idea. You know, you give them a little material just to make it good, because you know you want everybody to enjoy it. The tightest locker rooms are the best teams. When it becomes different than just a job, when you're not clocking in and clocking out, you transcend football and become a family. You guys know. That's when it's like, okay, we have an opportunity at least to make a run at this thing.
Speaker 1: I just love that at the rookie show, and I hate to beat a dead horse, but like, you got to give effort. Oh and the veterans are going to sign off with your terrible singer. It's all about the effort did you put in?
Speaker 3: Did you try? It's the older brother, yeah, yeah, right, a passage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know we all had to do it, and so what kind of effort did you There's always that one rookie that was like, I went to school to cool.
Speaker 2: I'm not jumping up the I'm not gonna.
Speaker 1: Sing like just like, come on, man, that's how you gain the respect.
Speaker 3: Nobody pick on me. You're gonna get the worst.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get it. You're definitely gonna get it. We had we had a couple of guys like that. But yeah, that that locker room, that foundation is what I think is what brings you together. Me and you, Carolina. Obviously we had a great year, our good run. We're good teammates. I'm sure you had some good teammates. I want to kind of switch it. So two thousand, what was that? I think twenty twelve I was I was able to go to the White House, did an internship with FEMA, and uh my, I guess my boss for the day or for the for the week, got me in, went to the White House, mass saw some some really cool stuff. Situation room. Now I know you went back in twenty ten. Yeah, so I got a T shirt on and you thought it was just a dang you thought it was a steak.
Speaker 2: You gotta.
Speaker 1: So deep break like talk to me about what he's your plus one?
Speaker 2: Right? How many buttons you got on that yeat?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's the Steve Hart.
Speaker 3: So there's a different time. We didn't have the euro cut back then. Yeah, okay, so this is you guys at this we get invited, This is at the State st.
Speaker 1: A t Yes, Hillary Clinton State dinner, right, No, it was Obamama, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: And the Mexican president was going to be there.
Speaker 1: He's trying This is a totally different side story. Don't even worry. Totally different side story. He's trying to reach. He's reached, don't worry about it. That's an inside joke over. Thomas is laughing back there because he knows this is a reach.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna let that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he owes us. He's gonna lose a bet too. He's lose a bit off that.
Speaker 1: I tried to see it in there.
Speaker 3: Invited to the state dinner. Barack Obama, the President of Mexico, is going to be there, and they're in the receiving line. The whole deal. Well, I remember getting this invitation and the Jets telling me about it in the PR office and like there's a big deal. It's in the off season. Worse you can make it. You know, they got a private plane and all this stuff. I was like, whoa, this is legit. So I called my brother and I said my oldest brother Nick, who's an attorney, and I was like, dude, we have a steak dinner at the White House. And he goes what I said a steak dinner. I get to go eat and like hang out at the White House and he goes, did you just say steak dinner? And I said yeah, they invited me to a steak dinner and said, you idiot. I was like what. He goes, state like United States like State of the Union stat. I was like, oh, okay, well either way, I'm sure they have food.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 3: He goes, steak dinner. What are you gonna bring a knife in a one sauce? God, You're done? You know. He just give me a hard time. So he informs me on exactly what it is we take. I invited Brick because I knew he'd be all over that. He's been on the podcast, right, Yes, yeah, he's awesome, so and and so, you know, diplomatic. He was just so well put together. And I was like, this is the prolific like kind of hang out for me and my man Brick. So we go. Dude, we're on the plane and I left my shirt and I left my shirt in the in the terminal to leave on this private plane in the FBO right, how like an idiot? And I have a T shirt on, I have everything else. And I was like, well, I don't want to wrinkle it. I'll put it up. Boom, I'll take the jacket. I just left it in the stall. So we're in the air and I tell the airplane pilot, hey, we have a problem. The wrong thing to tell the guy because it was just about clothing, not like there's a problem with the plane. He like went into freak out mode for a second. We had to calm him down. Boom, I said, hey, I'm missing a shirt. Whatever he calls like ground control. They start calling around to men's warehouses or like other places I could go. So we go find a place I can get a shirt. I walked into the store. It's a men's warehouse in DC close to the White House, packed with people because it's freaking prom for high school. So I'm like, I got like two hundred bucks in my pocket. Hauller at the manager. I'm like, yo, dude, my name's Mark Sanchez. I'm with the Jazz. I gotta go to the White House right now. It is like an emergency. I left a suit, blah blah blah. He's like, you're gonna have to get the whole getting kaboodle deal with.
Speaker 2: That's all we got.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, all right, I'm trying on this stuff. I ripped one of the jackets. It was horrible. It was horrible. Just to get to those pictures was such an adventure, and Brick was just like, dude, this is my chance to meet Barack Obama. You're gonna blow it. So uh, it was an adventure to say the least. But we had a ball. And you know, he loves the Bears. Man, Barrocco loves the Bears. He does get him to I try to look. He is Aago guy. He didn't mess around. He said, no, I can't be rooting for the jetson I'm a Bears guy.
Speaker 1: I was like, all right, so who I heard Beyonce performed? He had to stay dinner this. I don't know she was married to jay Z at the time, either, was she.
Speaker 3: I don't know in ten eleven she was married.
Speaker 1: I apologize so, but I don't know if they became like the couple at the time.
Speaker 2: No, not, they are now. Yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: The fact that that concert just happened in like this outdoor ten I mean, dude, the whole night was surreal. You know, I'm like thinking, like, oh, can I take the silver we're with me, I'm like, oh my god, then I'm gonna be on like the FBI's wanted. You don't know what to do there, You just try and act natural. And I felt like such a square.
Speaker 1: But was this like the top of the like the food chain at this point time in your life, Like had you done anything even close to this? And then how do you ever like measure up to this again?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm still trying, man, and it's been a failing effort. So thanks for reminding me that it was. It was pretty I mean that whole time with the Jets, especially the first couple of years, were this incredible blur of some failures but mostly successes, and like that, like almost top of the mountaintop, trying to get to a super Bowl, meeting people like that, meeting people out in public after games with my family that we've been fans of. Yea, you know freaking Leonardo DiCaprio. You see anybody else or people when they start to know your name, yes, or you're you see somebody and they're like, yo, see Shack at like a pool party in Vegas. He's like such a on the mike. I'm like, dude, are you kidding me, shock Doug, like we made it, you know, like it's just uh, it was a it was a really cool feeling.
Speaker 1: And that was no different so being the overall you know, the fifth overall pick in the in the draft was a two thousand and nine, being the fifth overall pick, and then going to those two AFC championships your first two years. Like, what do you think your greatest NFL accomplishment pofs.
Speaker 3: It's a great question. God, I think I think those couple of those playoff games on the road were some of my favorite. I remember I remember Thomas Jones almost beating me up.
Speaker 1: T Jones, Yes, Thomas q C.
Speaker 3: He threatened to kick my ass because I tried to throw like a little one step slam on the goal line against the Bengals in the first round of the playoffs in the wild card.
Speaker 1: I was like a lookie run call and you want to do your own thing, and it was just.
Speaker 3: A walk in touchdown for we scored on the next play. But he grabbed me by the face mask and he said, you know, with much stronger language, but if you ever do that again, I'm gonna kick your ass in front of everybody. Yeah, it's like, yes, sir. I was like, let's just hand this off. The San Diego game we played against the Chargers. Gosh, I think I'm pretty sure I played for free that game because I bought like two hundred plus tickets. Oh and then after the game, Thomas Jones got mad at me again because I got to say hi to all my family members. Thomas. You know, I mean, he's he can act. He's like and he's really funny, but he's just quiet and doesn't like he's not as outgoing, you know, he's not as I don't know, he's not as bubbly as love people. You always got this tough exterior. Well, when he wants to joke with you, he's funny and so I'm holding up the bus and so he cause people are like honking the horn, like dude, let's go. We got to fly back home. We got a game next with like all right onto the next you know, and I'm still like, wow, this is crazy. Thank you Aunt Linda, you know, saying hello to everybody, and he goes, man, get your rookie ass on the bus. I don't care about all your skater friends for.
Speaker 1: The sick game, bro, just.
Speaker 3: The whole bus is just laughing at me. So it was, it was those are great times with those playoffs.
Speaker 1: It's got to be really cool being a rookie quarterback on that type of team, big veteran presence, great defensively, all these big personalities, including your coach, and you're kind of the the cog that's kind of making it go.
Speaker 2: Uh what was it like being a rookie in that moment?
Speaker 1: Also, I listened to a couple of your other podcasts, things you were talking about, and you got vets like Alfanka didn't even talk to.
Speaker 3: You, right, dude until the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you like, he didn't even talk to me.
Speaker 3: I don't even He just didn't talk to rookies.
Speaker 2: And he would talk to somebody else to talk to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey, let's switch up the stats down Al wants this. Okay, we did.
Speaker 1: He knows I'm here right ted Washington to this second.
Speaker 3: I do something. Yeah, that's I mean, it's a vet thing. You gotta you gotta earn the respect whatever that means. That's old school vet though it is very you won't see that today, like you lose over time.
Speaker 1: Rubin Ruben did that? He tell ay, go tell that rookie. I want so one exact Hey, rook So, yeah, like you don't you don't see that. That's I'm not gonna say that's when the NFL was fun. But that was just a different time, a different times. It's a different time, a different a different hazing. Well, I think it's so different also because uh and you covered college. We'll probably we're gonna dive into that a little bit too. But it's you know, a lot of more players nowadays. We didn't grow up knowing each other, right, we didn't know each other and so when you played a different color jersey, you were just the enemy. That's the only way I knew you was just an enemy versus now everybody's recruited the same. Everybody's sure social media, so like the season to reach out to they kind of know each other.
Speaker 2: So it's a little bit different, you know.
Speaker 1: Interesting maybe you had a maybe it's kind of like that with all the Southern California quarterbacks that all play find their wayl at some point.
Speaker 3: I mean, you see each other growing up. You see the lineage when it started with really like I mean Marinovitch way back, but like Carson, Carson Palmer, Matt Liner, and then John David Booty ended up coming in from Louisiana played two years and then I got to play. But then Barkley, Cody Kestler, like that Southern California group of guys, and so you look up to all those guys, darnold all of them, and it's important. It means something that in your community, in your region, that you know you're the guy and they're comparing you to the guys who've come before you. Yeah, warned that Cardinal and Gold, Like, that's a big deal running down in the coliseum. That's a historic spot with you know, popes and the best in rock and roll, in music, Olympics, USC football, like there's some Super Bowls, Like there's some serious heritage and tradition with the coliseum. So that there was always something like, Wow, you're just proud to be a part of it, and I don't want to let anybody down, you know, there was there was that feeling like I got a responsibility here, all right.
Speaker 2: Fact, go ahead.
Speaker 1: My wife Jackie, her grandfather was a usc UH student body president when he went there.
Speaker 2: Let's go back in. I don't know what year. I don't know what year it was, but it was he was.
Speaker 1: He's a big time of lump, like goes to every game. When y'all play Notre Dame, y'all got a game, he is there, Like when I tell you, spends millions of dollars on USC over the years. He loves USC so much he named his son. His grandson's name is Troy. That's how much he loves you. As I'm not even the way to liven Hey. I mean you guys all in yea all that's the only way.
Speaker 3: That's what it is.
Speaker 1: So I'm a guy from small country town, was never really in the spotlight until really I got to like the league.
Speaker 2: I don't know about you in Alabama, but you're.
Speaker 1: A guy high school spotlight, college spotlight, NFL spotlight, rookie spotlight. Even now you're kind of somewhat stolen it in a way. What is what has that taught you over the years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's a white hot spotlight, especially when you get somewhere like the Jets. I think your unique upbringing is not exploited but brought to the forefront, like being a Mexican American, Hispanic American. That's been huge for me and that kind of support from a very loyal fan base that I mean, they don't care whether you well, you.
Speaker 1: Look great different, right, Like that's the thing, right, that's another selling point.
Speaker 2: Mark was going to New York.
Speaker 3: But I'm trying. Yeah, So you know, it's it just becomes what you sign up for and you always remember that, right. And I think one of the biggest lessons is, you know, you can't don't ever complain about the spotlight when that same spotlight has given you or afforded you opportunities that you otherwise wouldn't have, whether it's you know, eating at specific restaurants or doing these cool experiences, or being able to go to the White House or whatever that is. If I was playing for some other team, maybe that doesn't happen if it's not New York, you know, and if you're not the quarterback, maybe that doesn't happen to you in that specific you know example. So you know, you can't complain about it if you get something from it and do your best to you know, try and remain humble. And the thing I've found that brought me a lot of joy when you're in those scenarios of being the guy or in the spotlight, is when you bring your teammates or your family, right, like you get you get hooked up for Broadway tickets and you get to go to the premieres, or you get to go to the premiers of all these cool movies that you know in New York City. Well, yeah, I'd love to go, and I understand you only have two tickets, but I got to bring at least two or three of the old linemen and their wives. So yeah, if we're coming, we're coming as a group, but you know whatever, And they'd always come back and say, yeah, okay, you're all coming. So the guys would walk the red carpet with their wives and then you know, on the other end, it gives you a free night out with the boys later on. Yeah, the wife they were happy they got to see a Bronx show, you know, and then the guys can hang one night. So but I think it's I think it's important to bring the people either that helped you get there along with you, or you know, the people you're sharing that spotlight with, to make sure you deflect some of it and make sure they get some love to.
Speaker 1: I think you've always come off. Marc is one of those guys, is like like you said, you are in the spotlight. You every You've been in every large market that's possible, like you've grown up in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. This is like when I started bouncing around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chicago, yeah, d C. All huge market and I just built it like like where's all the people? Where the people at? And I played and I'm the only one up here that played in small markets like you played in Chicago, huge market.
Speaker 3: That's huge.
Speaker 1: But I didn't have the spotlight like that.
Speaker 3: I know you're pretty big.
Speaker 1: With all that being said, though, yeah, because you can kind did a lot for the game people.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and every time I might punch the ball out, they mentioned your name very much.
Speaker 1: They mentioned your name all the time. So, uh, the way you handled all that though, your humility, the ability to be able to you know, take the spotlight and then push it out on everybody else. I think that's a talent and a lot of quarterbacks maybe they don't understand that, or just people in general, what it's like to be, you know, with all the pressure that comes with being the quarterback, the responsibility as well.
Speaker 3: Oh it's uh, it's a lot of pressure. But that's once again, like you sign up from that or for that from the jump, the good, the bad, the ugly, everything in between, and looking back, it's like, you know, what would I change? What would I try and do different? How have I grown from all this stuff? I think one of the biggest things is I just didn't really face true adversity publicly like that until I got to the NFL. Right because I'm I'm getting good grades in school, I'm homecoming king, you know, I got a scholarship to USC. I'm going to be the quarterback at SC. I play at SC, we win the Rose Bowl, I'm an MVP.
Speaker 2: Boom.
Speaker 3: Now you're in the NFL, and it's just like, oh man, this is just awesome. Yeah, well, you know, go win win eight games and missed the playoffs in New York and then you're like, whoa, this isn't the real world. Wow, yeah, what happened whereever he go? How did what happened to all the fun stuff? Nobody's smiling anymore. People are pissed, you know, and you learn a lot about life and people and a little bit of adversity, and then you have to adjust. Okay, well now what you know? And so those are now that I'm a dad, I got a boy who's going to be seven, Those are like valuable lessons And I'm trying to import on him about dude, you're gonna have so many advantages growing up, you know. And we used to say this in travel basketball. But my dad's like, ah, we're thinking about adding this kid to the team. But he's a three car garage kid, meaning like, is he really gonna grind? Yeah, a scrap for a loose ball? Is he gonna dive? Is he like you know, does he get a cramp and come out like and it was a thing, and so that is you know, now that I know some of the drawbacks of all those things going your way from the jump and becoming this star in New York or whatever. Well, okay, what are my fears for the next one coming up?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Like for my son, I'm like, oh, shoot, dude, we wake up and we're looking at the ocean. Come on, dog, this is bad. We need to go get an apartment like somewhere else.
Speaker 2: How's he going grind?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like, how do I teach him? Like this stuff doesn't just happen? Like me and Grandpa and your uncles were outside all the time throwing the football fielding ground balls, shooting layups. I mean we went to Chargers camp the other day. I almost had this crazy flashback because I remember at Coasta Mesa High school where they practice, they did their joint practice or whatever. At Jack Hammett whatever, well that gym there, Dude. I almost had like a full on flashback because I remember my dad was gone. He was doing something as a firefighter. My brother took me to that basketball tournament in that gym in the parking lot next to where they're practicing, so I see the mustangs on the wall whatever, and I was like, oh my god, I remember this place, dude. My brother kept me after the game because I missed two breakaway layups in our game and we lost by like a point or something. Dude. We went up and down the court and he would just launch the ball all the way down so I could run by myself. After the gym had cleared out for like two hours, I must have shot three hundred freaking breakaway layups and I was gassed. But it was like just a reminder of like, dang, grin, that's where it is. That's that's where it really starts. That's where that's who you really are. If you commit to it and then the rest you know, you do your best.
Speaker 2: We're going to take a short break and we'll be back in a minute. All right, tell me about this. All right?
Speaker 1: So number one, when did you know it was time to retire? And number two, let's talk about that transition afterwards. You know you really didn't take any time off. Yeah, you went straight into doing TV and now you're doing the broadcasting And let's let's kind of dive it out because we worked with some of the same people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on the broadcasting side.
Speaker 3: So I think after Washington it was pretty hectic. Things were getting hectic at home my son and you know, my son's mom and I co parent him. So if I'm going to be gone, uh, you know most of the year, like when am I going to see him? What does this next chapter of life look like? And it was It was just the right time. So, yeah, am I going to try and grind this out one more year with all this other stuff on my mind? Like I'm doing a disservice to the team I'm trying to make and maybe to myself. Let's roll, let's let's pack up and figure this thing out. This next chapter. I got a lot of stuff too, so you were ready.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I was ready.
Speaker 3: I knew I was really going to miss it, but I was ready, and I think at any point I was really going to miss it, so I don't think anything would have changed there. And then it was like, okay, now what I can't just be in my opinion, I didn't feel comble with nothing to do for my son to see, you know what I mean, like I didn't want him to see it at that time, he was like three years old, but I didn't want him to see. You know, my dad used to play football. He made a bunch of money. And now we just kind of hang out like I don't know, and there's nothing wrong with that. Is that is totally fine. It just was like, I mean, maybe I don't have to put on a suit and tie every day, but i'd like to be doing something. I'd like him see me going to work, whether it was consulting or real estate or something. And I couldn't really be coaching, although I'd love to coach. I was like, that's just going to go way too far, and I know, like I'll go full send on coaching and then yeah, exactly, so I'm like I might as well try and play again. Those are two of the same things. So I was like, all right, let's try this broadcasting boot camp. Tracy Peerlman, Jerry Maddalon, a lot of people help get that set up, and that was really eye opening for me on what some opportunities could be. And so we go through the broadcasting boot camp, which I highly encourage players. I wish I had done it my third year in the league, you know, like that really breaks my heart that I didn't do that, and I hope the players if you have any interest in any of those boot camps, like public Service Announcement, I highly recommend going to one of those. It's free, they hook up your travel, You learn so much, you meet all the people you're gonna meet anyway that are important to know for your next endeavor if you choose that forum. So important, but they basically tape everything that you do there. They send out all your essentially like your demos. And and then we got calls from ESPN. I had to go audition for them, and ABC jumped in that role with Jonathan Vilma. The last time I had talked to Jonathan Vilma was my rookie year. We played you Guys Game four in New Orleans.
Speaker 1: I get picked off by House. It gets better because he got the pedal, dude.
Speaker 3: And finally so Sharp's too far ahead or he's behind me, and I'm trying to like create a pile. You're taught just create a pile, right, So I kind of just dive near Vilma.
Speaker 2: He chopped.
Speaker 3: In hindsight, it's a little bit too violent. It should have been more of like a tuck and roll, and it was a little more like direct at Vilma. You know, he's horizontal, he's pissed whatever. And then I get fined. And then the next time I talked to him was to call him and tell him, Hey, I got the job. I'm sitting next to you on the desk at College Football ABC. So I was like, bro, I'm sorry, should we just talk about this now? He's like, hell, yeah, we're gonna talk about it. So Vilma, I thought he was gonna whoop my ass the first day in the studio. He didn't, thankfully, and he's been a great dude to me and just helped me a ton with just like in football, like you you look at the older guys on the team, if that's on the team, they're like your big brothers. It's the same thing in television media whatever. Like Kevin M. Gandhi and Jonathan Vilma were so by the end of my time there at sc or at at Sports Center or ESPN for two years, I was staying in the Gandhi's house in the basement. And his kids are like crazy Philly fans just like him. So all they wanted to talk about is, uh, Brent seleck zach Ertz, Leashan McCoy, you know, tell me about playing with this guy, tell me about playing this guy. So we'd be playing like knee football and knee basketball in the basement with his little kids. And that's how close we became. Same thing we mentioned with football, when a broadcast or a crew becomes more than just a job and it's like your family. We had some great shows with the IT.
Speaker 1: Shows on TV because I I leaned on Vilma so much when I was first starting to get into it. He's just he's honest. He's brutally honest. Sometimes he's not that nice of a person. He's a great guy, but he's but you want his opinion. Yeah, you respect people say yeah, hey, you're doing great, You're doing great, and you don't get honest feet that difference between but that's the difference between you or us as athletes and professionals. When you make it to the highest level.
Speaker 3: You're extracting critique.
Speaker 1: One criticism, and I think that's what makes us who we are as people. Right when you go to the real world and a regular I guess, a regular job, you want people just to tell you how good you are, like a yes man or yes woman or whatever.
Speaker 2: Like it just doesn't make.
Speaker 3: Dude, you can't say that, yes, we got to get better.
Speaker 1: I'm going to grow. I'm a plus minus guy. I'm everything in my life and I can move on everything I want just plus minu. So I guess I am. I try to do the boot camp. I tried it twice and they like was like, no, we're not We're not taking your application. I don't know if my my home's.
Speaker 3: Answer.
Speaker 2: I was just like I did the broadcast boot camp.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a big thumbs up, two thumbs twice, and they were like, no, maybe I didn't beg enough because you said that I did. I did, application was late and then I just wrote like a really nice little personal thing at the end.
Speaker 2: They let me in last one in and they let me. They said it was full.
Speaker 1: Then I wrote another followback email and it worked out anyways, and then next you know, I'm doing what I'm doing now. And uh, it's it's funny though, Mark, Cuz because you went right into it. Yeah, Peanut went right into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Me, I took a whole year off.
Speaker 1: I took three hundred and sixty five days and said I'm not going to do anything, just really decompress and then I figure out, trust me, what I want to do.
Speaker 2: My situation was different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And you got your job pretty quick though, right They offered you like right away.
Speaker 3: Well I did have to go interview or audition, yes, at ESPN. But that's kind of why it happened so fast, right because of the demos that went out from boot camp. It was like, okay, you have a couple of different options here. You can do USC radio, you can do blah blah blah. So I was like, oh, shoot, okay, we're starting like this fall then this.
Speaker 1: Is this is real, okay, And I don't think everybody understand it's not just like, oh you're good, you get to get hired like you can be good and not get a hired.
Speaker 2: It's all about hiring cycles.
Speaker 1: It's timing. It's it's just like playing Tom Brady. Oh we're signing him.
Speaker 3: And that and those names, those on field accolades will get you in the door. But if you don't study, you're not keeping current with the game, if you're not talking to coaches and players and all that and you know, fine tuning your skills, you get passed by, right like the next new sexy guy. Who's hey, man, this guy.
Speaker 2: You know, when I retired, I literally did the same.
Speaker 1: Literally, it happened just like you had a had a media agent with CIA and well, I'm thinking about it maybe, and then I retired and then I was here interviewing for Fox Sports, and I did the interview and was like.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, I guess I'm doing this.
Speaker 1: And then two weeks later it's like, yeah, they want you, they want you to do and I was a choice, damn okay, this is And that was how I got into doing that.
Speaker 3: You know, at that point, you can't be like, all right, give me one year.
Speaker 2: No you can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Mine was just kind of he's totally different than everybody else out there. It was the six seven six rings.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: They got him out here in the walls at the NFL studios. Have you seen Tom Brady on the wall.
Speaker 3: He looks like a Game of Thrones, like a yes, iron man see it.
Speaker 1: I'm just I mean, he was in Tampa Bay though, That's my only thing. I mean that he wanted to see.
Speaker 3: The most. It's recency biased. You know what have you done for me lately?
Speaker 2: I'm with that. I can I can respect that. I can respect that. I just I just was thrown off.
Speaker 1: I was listening to you talking about Kevin Na Gandhi too, and maybe you give everybody else some advice that want to get into the broadcasting or the analysts work. And you said, the thing that really helped you with the Gandhi, how he just took you on his wing, was that, you know, He's like, look, don't focus on anything else. You just deliver what you know, the knowledge that you know being a quarterback, the eyes in which you see the football game, the game through is what we want to see and be able to break that down for people's like I'm just going to ask you football questions.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and you just give me a football answers that's it, yeah, and like just stay in that lane, funny, and you will shine in this business. And it's so true. And then along the way you're gonna learn different skills and they seem kind of silly, but like, how long is a thirty second answer?
Speaker 2: I agree?
Speaker 3: How long is a minute? How long is a minute and a half? How long is a five minute debate with four panelists three panelists, Like, so until you're in those situations, you're not going to know. But the biggest thing to try and understand early is like this economy of words. How can you say you know without talking over people? And if you drop a little terminology, be ready to explain it quickly, like how can you get your message across and articulate your point? And Kevin was so good with that because during the breaks sometimes we'd be doing rap shows, so basically we're talking over highlights yep, and you know, oh, I could see like whoa, the left tackles way or bam that that running back has to block that guy or whatever. He goes great, I'm coming to you. You go with this film, good with this one, bam. And so he would set us up like a point guard all the time with like just a nasty pass boom we're.
Speaker 1: In exactly, yeah, and could not miss.
Speaker 2: Your brother helped you out, mother helped you out exactly.
Speaker 3: So he was he was great. But I mean the sooner you get those reps and that's really what it comes down to.
Speaker 1: We that's what you learn at the local Well, that's what you learned at broadcast boots, dude, Like, that's what you learn. It's so I want to hear. Just give me a quick thirty second story on something you did at the broadcast bout camp where you just trash or no or not. Have you ever just fill flat on your face live TV? Yeah, I mean give me give me one of them stories as a player.
Speaker 2: Second that as a player, as a as an analyst.
Speaker 3: Be in there. Let's see as an analyst.
Speaker 1: Golly, it is something you were just like, man, that's live TV. I totally messed that up. I've been there, oh a million, I mean, oh my god, a million times where you just kind of blank. I've watched my prior broadcast before and you're kind of like your point just kind of it's like dangling thing and you're I'm like, who are you talking? And sometimes I find myself saying stuff like that. I hear my dad saying to me, you know, like like we're watching in warm ups or something like that, and I'm glad it didn't make the broadcast. But like you see guys throwing the ball and it's like routes on air. They're basically playing catch, and you see him like drop three in a row or miss three in a row. You're just like, what do we call this game? Catch or chase? What are we doing here? Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, so I'll say stuff like that or you know, my dad.
Speaker 2: You didn't even know you were listening to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, and it was so weird. But he would say, you know, he dropped him like a bad habit, or he dropped him like a that transmission, or you know, he just have these weird sayings. And I've set him on air before and I immediately like hit the talkback button to mute myself and I'm like, you idiot, and my producers like, I love it. I love it. You sound like you're seventy years old. I'm like, great, thanks, I'm trying to remember. I talked about Kirk Cousins one time, and similar to Aaron Rodgers I think this Quarterback show that he's been on has really helped his BRANDI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because everybody thinks he's beyond boring, yes, and he's not.
Speaker 3: He's like pretty funny and interesting dude, but he's he's super nerdy owns. Yeah, but it's him, But it's him, it's him. And then on the field, he's like a stone cold killer dog, like he wants to win just like everybody else, if not more. Well, I made a comment because he got all out pressure. They had a little tight end, shallow cross and he flips it across his body all the way to the opposite sideline, gets his completion, first down, crucial first down, and they end up kicking a field goal to win against Seattle. A couple of years ago in Minnesota. One of my games for for Minnesota on Fox, Well, I said, listen, say what you want about Kirk Cousins. He might call his pants trousers. He might wear those said trousers up to his navel. I don't care. He's a stone cold killer. And those are the kind of third down plays against pressure in the red zone you have to execute if you're going to fill at a defense. And that's what he just did and that was like one of my favorite things that you gotta be cool with Kirk, Like you can't pay him out to be a nerd. I'm like, guy, he is, he is a nerd.
Speaker 2: He is like that.
Speaker 1: It's funny like that because like players recognize it, right, we know. And it's the same way with like Russell Wilson. You never had anybody say how great or how cool he is.
Speaker 2: He's a great player, great player. He's so cool.
Speaker 1: He's he comes across to every other player. We're like, dude, I mean that guy, he's that guy he is.
Speaker 2: It's okay, you like everybody.
Speaker 1: That's the best thing about the locker room is like nobody really wants you to be anybody but yourself, but be yourself.
Speaker 3: And it's open game.
Speaker 1: Everything's fair. Yeah, it's like everything fair.
Speaker 2: Every there's yeah everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was going to tell some stories, but I think we'll do that off family.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I won't stop crying, you know. I cried as soon as I laught having a good podcast. Every every time, every time I cry, like crist.
Speaker 3: It's the thing.
Speaker 2: So this is what this is our second year doing the show. I think we're heading like we're rolling.
Speaker 1: In, ascending into our second years, and our goal is to get this thing be national. We're trying to kill it right now. We're trying to you know, wear our trousers up to our navels or whatever. They focus and we're just super laser focused. You've been in the broadcast business. What are some of your goals as a broadcaster? How far are you trying to go? Where are you trying to take this?
Speaker 2: You're trying to.
Speaker 3: Emmy's Tony's listen. I think that stuff would happen on its own. I think these first two years have been a great foundation for me. This is a third year, contract year, you know, so contract year. Yeah, yeah, we go, so, you know, I feel like I'm really coming into my own. I feel like I was my first year. I felt like I was treading water a little bit, like any rookie at anything.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And the next year, which was this past year, once Kevin Coogler and I my partner, and Laura Oakman, who both of them I love to death. They we were in London and we call this awesome game the first round, and we get to stay for like sixteen days in London and do the second game because Fox took those games last year, both really good games. One of them was a Saints and it was we finally like clicked, me and keV. At least I felt it totally click. And keV was a little tight before because this was to be the biggest broadcast he'd ever been on. I was definitely nervous, but I've also walked out on the field in the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl and Anti Championship game. I'm like, dude, spotlight, Yeah, I'm scared, but this is gonna be awesome because somebody's getting their ask kicked in it amy. You know, let's roll, you know, you just get into that mode of whatever, right, And so I start massaging Kevin's shoulders like I'm his cut man in boxing. I'm like, let's go champ. We read a champ. We don't feed it to him today, you know. And I'm just messing with him and trying to loosen him up. And he has this awesome call and after the game, I just gave him a huge hug. I'm like, dude, you freaking nailed it. You freaking nailed it. I knew you were super nervous, but you nail this dog. We got this like, let's roll. We're not looking back anymore. We've kind of hit our stride here, let's go. And so ever since then, which was about October of the last season, I felt like we're on this great trajectory together. Now after this year, who knows what's gonna happen, but it just feels like, hey, let's just keep stacking them, just keep adding another one to the can. As soon as we put in the can after the game, I want a fist bump. We do our quick rap up, and then like boom, let's get onto the next week. Let's do it again. I want to be, you know, get better each time. Tell me when I'm off, I'll tell you when you're off. And so we have such a good rapport now it's like, let's see how far we can take it. You know, I'll go as long as they do, you know, as long as they'll let me hang around. I'm ready.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that attitude. The podcast that you do with Nick Mangle, I love it. First of all, the name I'm sold in exchange.
Speaker 3: The name is important. Who came up with the name, Yeah, I think it was me. That was somebody at the Jets. I think it was Matt Sikoff beautiful doun.
Speaker 1: It's the most important thing element of the game that nobody talks about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Centaert to quarterback extreme.
Speaker 3: I mean it starts the whole play. Nothing happens till the quarterback says go and the center's got to give a great sound.
Speaker 1: You know, doesn't his sister play center? No, No, she's a weightlifter, she's Olympian.
Speaker 2: She was like sports.
Speaker 1: I knew, I knew she played sports strong as hell. Yeah, sorry, man, just throw it out.
Speaker 2: There, bro. So it may be the stick.
Speaker 1: It's over the same thing with the Hillary, the same thing with the Hillary comment earlier.
Speaker 2: It's just like.
Speaker 3: Now starting.
Speaker 2: Pen tillman, throw it out there.
Speaker 1: Just whatever, let's try it has has that element up your game and other parts? Yeah, I think of your game like, what is a podcast? How does that help elevate your game?
Speaker 3: It's interesting. So you have so much time to really expand and tell these stories on podcasts, and that's one of the things you learn at broadcasting boot camp. But story sell people want to hear the stories. You know, we're going up to do Gino Smith his first game.
Speaker 2: Well, that's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how about his rams at Gino? But it's like, Okay, Geno was the comeback player of the Okay, why tell me why. Everybody's going to say he's the comeback player of the year, but why So that's been like my off season project a little bit. As soon as we got this game is okay, I need to go find some specific plays of why and where I've seen him improve whatever well with with Nick on that show. That's what it becomes. You try and like fine tune your skills for that forum and one of the other you know, uh, we're giving away all the broadcasting boot camp secrets, but understanding the forum, who's the audience, where are you, what's the setting, like who are you, who are you with? And then who's watching, who's listening? Are they watching it all? You know what I mean? And so those kind of things help me stay sharp for when I do studio with Fox or call a game, because that's very, very different. When you go do speak for yourself or speak now at Fox with Emmanuel Otto, that's different than sitting down with Colin Coward and just a totally different show, a totally different audience, and so you got to be ready to go, Like, I've never been as nervous as I am walking up to the speak set because Marcella's you know, joy Ocho. I need a couple extra like on my belt loop, you know what I mean, Like I need a couple extra points just in case I get into back and forth.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, for Colin Coward, it's okay, tell me a great story about this, tell me your experience about this. How can you relate to that player that I'm asking you about whatever? With Mangold, we're just hanging talking to these people that love the Jets, and so okay, this is a little more softball than a lot of stuff. We're not breaking new you know, we're not trying to get gotcha on the podcast like ha, you said it on ours and we got all the news. Now, that's not really our vibe there, you know. So I think a lot of it's being able to be versatile once again. Na Gandhi. He does Little League World Series, he does Sports Center, he does Saturday College Football, He you know, hosts different shows for them, award shows, all that. He can do it all, Like I want to be able to do it all a lot for you know, whatever company wants to hire me, and it just gives you more opportunities, the more you can do.
Speaker 2: No, I love that, and all right, so now to the funny stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, Oh boy, number one, what was the most outrageous purchase you had when you got to the league, And don't tell me about no abought my mama house.
Speaker 2: I don't want to hear about it.
Speaker 3: Give me, give me somebody, Okay. Remember this is why my wife now hates when I buy stuff on Instagram because I'm a complete sucker for those stupid ads that come up on it.
Speaker 1: They pop up a lot more now too, Coach in the moment, Oh.
Speaker 3: Dude, I'm all over them. So before that, for this younger generation, there was a thing called sky Mall. Remember sky Mall on the planes when you Yeah, I had stuff crapped from the sharper, stuff from you name it. They had it all right. So I finally had a little bit of money, and I had seen these damn magazines forever since I was a little kid and stuff, and I was just like, that would be so cool to one day, just like if I ever made money, just go through Skymall and just start circling everything I wanted to get coud. I got Harry Potter wands I got I put I lived on a golf course. I got like a six foot Bigfoot statue.
Speaker 1: I remember the Bigfoot statue.
Speaker 3: I bought one and put it out on the golf It was just a mess with the golfers, like kind of hiding me on a tree. Never picked it up, just left it left if anybody got scared. There was remember Gallum from Lord of the Rings. Yeah, there's one of him crawling out of the ground that looked like it was a statue. It was like this big got that. Remember the cryptex oh from the Angels and Demons or whatever. Yeah, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, Tom Hanks, Yeah that thing got one of those I saw.
Speaker 1: I remember that, dude. Yeah, I mean it's so lost right now. Yeah, clearly you are reading.
Speaker 2: I'm clearly.
Speaker 3: I got a clear Potter wand and it was like eight hundred and fifty dollars. The worst thing I've ever bought was a stick that said like Harry Potter on it. I'm like, I could have made this, but regardless, I just was so excited. Big kid, Yeah, like a big kid. He just bought some really dumb.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm excited about that you paid eight hundred dollars because I bought my kids those same wanes at like Universal Studios last summer for like eighty five, and I was mad.
Speaker 3: Then this was mine doesn't work?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this was like, well, there's at least makes noise?
Speaker 1: Did you have? And if you're in the.
Speaker 3: This was in two thousand and nine, this is my rookie year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Just I'm like, oh, this is just living. I need one of those. Yeah. Dumb, just dumbstuck.
Speaker 2: So my rookie I had my NFL repraisement.
Speaker 1: You know where Ted Washington put me in this card, made me drive around, pushed me, made me make all these sounds, and at the end he finally picks it up and he throws it with me in it. Welcome to the NFL, rookie, give me your welcome to the NFL.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the NFL moment.
Speaker 3: So well, my first practice with Bart Scott, I mean he like he was leaning over the center, like over Nick, and so immediately I was like, is there no outside? And so he's just screaming you Richie Valens bleabamba looking nacho, I'm gonna call you nao. And I can't even say the snap because and everybody was just like crying, laughing. I'm trying to get just get the first snap, you know, hand off like lead zone week, you know, day one install type stuff, and we could barely get that off the ground. The very first time I gone the stadium against the Rams at the Old Giant Stadium, we played our preseason game and I come in and as soon as I said said hut, my mouthpiece falls out of my mouth. Freaking defensive guys are like, what an idiot? So that was embarrassing. And then I think one of the worst ones was it was my second year I got these for Mike, Petton and Rex in the defensive room. I put a bunch of stink bombs everywhere and crushed them in their room right before meeting. And dude, they were pissed, so pissed that they got the keys to my car when we were out of practice, undid the sun roof and had this guy show up at the facility and then flooded my entire car. They fill the entire car with pats and then closed it so when I opened the doors, just flooded peanuts. So yeah, that was that was a good little welcome to the NFL and don't mess at the defensive room kind of deal.
Speaker 2: So I just love the creativity of the hazing and the get backs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the unlimited amount of money we're willing to spend to get you back, Like there is no end, but that will spend thousands of dollars, yes, to prove a point.
Speaker 2: Remember the alligator.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you cut an alligator.
Speaker 2: He got reviewing with the alligator.
Speaker 1: That's a whole in his personal hour, like peanuts up at like five am.
Speaker 2: That's pull off.
Speaker 3: It's so worth it.
Speaker 1: It is so worth it. Fake big old fake alligator, like a five foot alligator just looks very real too.
Speaker 2: He scared everybody for a whole day in the house. Also, it's great.
Speaker 1: All right, you talked about your welcome to the NFL. How about your your welcome to marriage?
Speaker 2: Oh moment?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what was like?
Speaker 2: And do you have any advice because we all stink at.
Speaker 3: It over here, so like I'm an expert, I'm like three months.
Speaker 1: And yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That nothing You're not gonna get any better than where you're at right now.
Speaker 3: I think Ry Perry plant an incredible an incredible wedding, and my thing was like I was just happy she invited me.
Speaker 1: You know, like video looked great, she uh colors, she nailed all that.
Speaker 3: And she picked out like ninety nine percent of it. Every occasionally I'd get to input a little bit, give a little input, but she dialed it all in. And I'm so lucky to have somebody who balances me out right, because I can go like hard charger, no feelings, just like I got to get this done, like let's go. We want to be the best broadcast team, you know. And she's just such a good balance of like, hey, let's take a step back, relax minute, the world's not over today, Like let's just hang in there and just give a little time to the fam. Let's, you know, do some other stuff. Get your mind off of that for a second, and then you'll be refreshed ready to roll. So she's perfect balance for me. And we had so much fun, so much fun at the wedding. Honeymoon we went to Safari in Africa, which was incredible. Dude, I highly recommend if you guys haven't gone, but I've never seen like nature like that. It's like watching in Africa. We went Kenya, and Tanzania. Okay, and so it's we saw the great migration of the wilde beest. Two million wildebeest in every direction that you can see through binoculars and in front of your face, like it's like twenty five feet they're right next to you and they just go NonStop and they're moving through the camp. And it was incredible, man, watching these lions hunt. And it was you see giraffes nursing baby lion cubs nursing like it was beautiful, man, it was. It was really cool. And that was once again her, she planned it all with this incredible travel planner. So now time, what were the mosquitos like, No mosquito.
Speaker 1: They were bad, not as bad as that was a question I never would have thought about.
Speaker 3: Are they on you like that? Because they're usually on her too. They attack certain people. I think it's the thing. It's either a blood type or like your temperature. It's something they like black people. I guess I don't know, dude, I get ate up. See I'm not terrible. My wife is. She gets it so bad. But they have all the plays out there. Nobody has off or like any of the stuff we sell here in the us. You know what they have, like the regular stuff that's in plants, you know, and they like strip down some plans and rub it on you. They got the peppermint, like natural vanilla this or whatever. And it was like, oh, you don't need all that other stuff.
Speaker 2: We don't even need it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so waste money, dude. And it was it was it was really cool to see that.
Speaker 3: You know, you literally see the mosquitos come near and it's like the natural stuff and there's you making you turn gone. It was really cool.
Speaker 2: That's cool. So Mount Rushmore four people?
Speaker 1: Okay, what is your personal Mount Rushmore of people that have had success in childhood, high school, college, NFL just out.
Speaker 2: Your entire life?
Speaker 3: Good lord, I mean, sheesh, Pop's got to be on there. I mean there's four places, which is perfect because I have two brothers, my dad and my mom. That's that's a no brainer. I think man like mentors and stuff. Coach Carrol's got to be on there. I think Bob Johnson, my high school coach, has got to be on there. Oh man, this is a hard one. Yeah. When it comes to just straight up football, I mean whether it's Aaron or Tom Brady, a man, I think ability throwing the ball. Wise, it's got to be Aaron. If it's accomplishments and super Bowls and winning and all the records, he said, it's got to be Tom.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think. Yeah, because all the time, all time, all time favorite athlete ever was Kobe Bryant. Probably second would be Carson Palmer. And I was Carson's ball boy and water boy when he was in high school. Really yeah, like I Carson was like my dog. So Coach Carroll had to make this tape, this highlight tape of plays that Carson ran and plays that I ran when I filled in for John David Boody for three games moving into the next year. Because I would only go in the office and watch Carson tape. I would watch all old film of him, Norm Chow and all these guys, Big Tom West, Coast, Kelly Freaking Mike Williams, like all these guys. Right. So Pete had to make this like fifteen play clip and it went, Carson play my play, Carson played my play, And they're almost identical plays because we're running the same offense. So it's like, you know, play action to left, boot out to the right, throw the deep comeback on the run, boom, Carson does it. I do it. And so after the the matchup or after the mashup of the tape, Coach Carrol's like, what did you see? And I said, Carson's awesome. He goes, all right, every play we put in there like look, and he showed me the description of all the place. He's like, you did exactly what Carson did. I need you to be our quarterback. I need you to be Mark Sanchez, not Mark Sanchez trying to be Carson Palmer. Take Carson off the pedestel, and I need you to be yourself and be our starter because you're gonna be our starter this year. And that's kind of how he told me, like that was and I was like, damn, so like that is how I resonate with or how Coach Carrol resonates with.
Speaker 2: Yah.
Speaker 3: Sure, ever, forget that of him making me me and go. You know, I had to get through something to get where I wanted to go, and he knew part of that was taking Carson down well, respecting him of course, but so yeah, that that kind of encompasses two of those guys that I love.
Speaker 1: I think it's really cool how sometimes not all people have like this over this confidence to where we still need to be told we.
Speaker 2: Do it, that we can achieve.
Speaker 1: It's okay, believe in yourself and that you got it all.
Speaker 2: We just need you to go do it. So that's that's really special. Man.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you showing sharing all your stories. Mark Man, it's been a it's been a blessing man. Thank you, Bro, Thank you guys. We're gonna hang out more. You guys are in something. Yeah, I'm winning. We ain't doing nothing to that.
Speaker 2: I need to go to Dana Point I used to live on. So yeah, that's what's up. That's what's up.
Speaker 1: Hey man, I'm just trying to go appreciate it. I'm just trying to go, who am I kid? We're gonna get three holes for you? Yeah, for sure, we're gonna get We're gonna get three or four holes for you. We're gonna get around and golf at the hotel.
Speaker 2: Thanks man. Hey, I'm Peanut Tubman.
Speaker 1: This Roman, that's Mark and this is the NFL players Second Ass Podcasts and we out and uh also I know we're out, but I want to thank our listeners as always because they're the ones that make all this thing go, and so thank you.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 1: Continue to tell a friend, to tell a friend, to tell a friend. Wherever you listen or pick up your podcast that was Apple Podcast or iHeartRadio, please continue to tune in and follow us.
Speaker 2: Hit click follow, give us a review. Let's do this thing. Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: We're out one hundred damations. We out