Speaker 1: Oh, if you remember Grandma wars on this show, then you are in for a treat today. Welcome to the Second Date Podcast.
Speaker 2: We've got your update update.
Speaker 1: That's where we check in with a couple that was on our show and actually win out again after being on a second date and see what's happened since. So if you remember how this works, we play the original, so everybody's up to speed.
Speaker 2: And then on part three, I know you gotta listen to the commercials or commercial get for.
Speaker 1: Them, we get them back on the phone. Yes, so you definitely want to stay around for the whole thing. And first, of course comments.
Speaker 2: Ellen for Mike said, no offense to anyone.
Speaker 1: But my favorite nickname that Jeffrey used for Brook was money bags Brook.
Speaker 2: My brother I loved it so much that we call each.
Speaker 3: Other that now money bags Brook or just money bags each other.
Speaker 2: I hope money bugs Brooke.
Speaker 4: Good morning, good morning.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it all right, your second date starts right now.
Speaker 3: When you talk about typical red flag moments that ruin first dates, normally we hear about a disagreement over who pays the bill. Yeah, somebody lied in their profile about their age, height or marital status or their date's mom showed up unexpectedly and was way hotter and more fun than her daughter ever.
Speaker 2: Could be my worst nightmare.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but this may be the only time the red flag involved a fight over a casserole recipe. Who never thought so much drama could come from one old family meal, But it's led us to this where the couples decided to come back on our show for a special second date update update. We'll do it.
Speaker 5: Next Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning, Second date Updates.
Speaker 3: What are the percentages of how people meet when they come to us it's Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning.
Speaker 2: I'd say.
Speaker 4: Dating apps.
Speaker 3: I think a couple of years ago that was up to like ninety, but lately people have been starting to grow tired of that. They're finding new ways to connect, and you hear about more people meeting at run clubs and yoga classes. One couple even met at the dentist's office in the lobby when they were both high on nitros waiting for the rides to take them home.
Speaker 6: Maybe just your personal story, Yeah, I'm still sexy and worth mentioning, But we don't get a lot of folks on this segment who already knew each other for years before they ever went out on a date.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know they'd be comfortable enough to like check in and see what was going on.
Speaker 3: That's what you think. But we're doing it today with our listener, Jillian. So, Jillian, welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Hi, thank you for taking a call.
Speaker 1: I'm like, so, like, you got ghosted by someone who is your friend?
Speaker 3: Like, hell, that makes it worse.
Speaker 4: How is how long were they were your friend for?
Speaker 7: So Thomas and I have known each other for almost twenty years.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, how how do you guys know each other?
Speaker 7: So we grew up in a say, neighborhood. He could be hung out together all the time, you know, the barbecues and all that.
Speaker 2: Oh that's like really interwoven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, was he your first kiss ever as as a kid growing up.
Speaker 7: No, he did ask me out, like multiple times, like over the years he'd asked me out, and I said no, not because I don't like him, but just because I thought it might be awkward for our families, you know, Like, yeah, I didn't want to get.
Speaker 4: Weird families get that close.
Speaker 3: I had somebody who I thought was my cousin my whole life and like literally like five ten years ago, our parents were like, that's not your cousin, a good family friend. I'm like, wait, marias.
Speaker 7: Not my cousin.
Speaker 8: I just.
Speaker 7: Grow up to.
Speaker 2: I mean they feel like blood like you on that one.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: So he was trying for it and you kept shooting him down for years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what changed?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 7: I saw him a couple of weeks ago and I picnic my family was hosting. It has been a while since I've seen him, and I'm just gonna lie. He looked really good, Thomas, and that.
Speaker 4: Changed your mind?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was like, forget weird, let's just go for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah okay, so wait, how did you guys turn it into a romantic date though?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 7: I hit him up. I hit him up and I was just like, hey, you want to meet up hang out? And he kind of freaked up a little, you know, he was like, when are.
Speaker 8: You free let me cook your dinner.
Speaker 2: Wait, He's like, I waited.
Speaker 5: My whole life, get it all with you.
Speaker 2: That'd be weird.
Speaker 3: It's because you rejected him for so long. No wonder he was like totally caught back by it.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought he'd be confused that maybe they were just going to hang out as friends. But his response definitely doesn't sound like that.
Speaker 3: You said the word date, obviously, you like made it clear.
Speaker 7: I think it was more like in my energy and my tone, and that kind.
Speaker 3: Of made it like, Yeah, yeah, let's the eighteen hard emojis at the end of the text message and the kissing emoji.
Speaker 2: That wasn't the emoji she was using.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's cool.
Speaker 4: He wanted to cook for you. How did that go?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 8: It's great.
Speaker 7: We had a fabulous meal.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: I did the whole like hanging out in the kitchen watching him cook.
Speaker 8: It was like like a coconut curry cast role.
Speaker 1: Was there any awkwardness, because sometimes when you turn these friendships into something romantic like there can be I don't know, just funny moments, you know.
Speaker 7: To be honest, I was amazed at how comfortable it felt.
Speaker 8: The conversation was really good.
Speaker 7: We did end up like a little makeout session of it.
Speaker 1: Maybe his mind is just still blown and he hasn't like come to realize that this wasn't a dream.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did that really happen?
Speaker 4: What happened after the kiss?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 8: I did go home.
Speaker 5: I was a good girl, okay.
Speaker 7: But I got a couple of nice texts from him afterwards, you know, thanking me for coming over. But then I've texted him a few more times with just sort of like some invitations, what are you doing, want to grab a drink, et cetera. And he's been sending back the word busy.
Speaker 5: Oh, just the word yes.
Speaker 7: Like the total attitude and energy and all of it has just changed, and I have no idea what's going on with him?
Speaker 1: Do you think he's trying to play hard to get now? I think it's really bad at him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the script, so does him just texting the word busy to you over and over?
Speaker 4: Is that worse than just getting straight up ghosted.
Speaker 8: I don't think he.
Speaker 7: Ghosts, because, like our family is just king really weird.
Speaker 3: But just saying one word busy it implies that he's mad at you or something's wrong.
Speaker 2: Though funny busy.
Speaker 3: We're actually kind of busy right now. So we should probably move on to the second part of this call, where we reach out to Thomas for you and try to figure out what's going on.
Speaker 1: Well, he's honestly not super busy.
Speaker 4: It's really important.
Speaker 3: We'll find out where we do your second date update right after this.
Speaker 5: Brook and Jeffrey in the morning Second Date Update.
Speaker 1: You're in the middle of a second date update update, and we're gonna find out how the couple is doing right after you.
Speaker 2: Here part two.
Speaker 3: If you're just joining us, quick recap of Jillian's date with Thomas, a guy she's known for twenty years as a fan, family friend, and Thomas has actually asked her out several times before. She always would say no to him until he showed up to a family picnic looking like a total snack and she gave Tommy boy the old green light. After that if they wanted to sit down next to the potato salad. Oh yeah, it doesn't get any hotter. So eventually went over to his place. He cooked a meal for her.
Speaker 2: It's so sweet.
Speaker 4: It sounds like a lot.
Speaker 3: Of their family gatherings are kind of based around food, so that sounds normal. But since then he's only been replying to her text with one word busy.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 3: It's really cold and Jillian doesn't understand why, so we're trying to help figure that out.
Speaker 4: Jillian, I'm curious.
Speaker 3: Just going back to the date night, you said he cooked like a coconut curry thing for you When you bit into it, did you make a weird face or something that could have been taken the wrong way by him where maybe he got offended.
Speaker 7: No, No, there's no way. Like his coconut curry was amazing. I was like gushing if anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they had a makeout session afterwards.
Speaker 3: Well, I've made up with people angrily before when I've been mad at them.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you settle differences there. If you're a manager and Jeff asked for the manager, do not come.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's going the way you think you're about to get a piece of my mind and my tongue.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that their first kiss was like crazy, because it's like twenty years in the baking. That's wild.
Speaker 3: You even said it all felt natural, the kids felt natural, the chemistry, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, there is potential in this if we can get hint weird keep going.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So let's just dial his number.
Speaker 3: Hopefully he's not too busy to pick up, and we'll see if we can get some answers.
Speaker 7: Out of him.
Speaker 3: But I'm dying right now.
Speaker 5: Hello.
Speaker 4: Hey is this Thomas?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Who's this?
Speaker 3: Hey man? We're a radio show. We're called Brook and Jeffrey in the morning. Hello, morning, Okay, we're just.
Speaker 4: Going to brag.
Speaker 1: We're yeah, we are very excited to talk to you.
Speaker 3: I am any We've actually we've heard a lot about you from someone who asked us to reach out to you named Jillian.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, okay. We know you know her for a long time, and this is a segment we do call the second Date Update, because we're trying to figure out why after you two hung out the other night and had dinner together. I mean, she feels like there should be another hangout session and you're not responding.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't really know if I'm comfortable talking about this.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I gotta Well, she had the date went so well? Did it not go well in your eyes?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's such a cute story you two.
Speaker 4: Yeah's been like in the making.
Speaker 1: Right twenty years you finally get out of the friend zone, which impresses every man.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I had.
Speaker 5: I was looking forward to it and it went really well. But well, there's just a violation of trust. Unfortunately.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, I.
Speaker 2: I don't think she's aware of that at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she probably isn't.
Speaker 3: Well, if you are such good family friends going back twenty years. I feel like you should be comfortable enough to reach out and talk to her if there was an issue, a violation of some sort.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm not sure like how malicious it was, but it's just it's complicated. Unfortunately, because of her, my grandmother won't talk to me.
Speaker 1: Right now, Wait, what what what does your grandma have to do with Jillian?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I didn't realize at the time, but she came over and I wanted to treat her right, right, So I busted out Grandma's secret recipe. You know. It's like this amazing dish that we always make for special occasions of coconut curry castle role right. And I guess while I was in the kitchen, cooking and doing my thing, at some point, I must have had my back turned and the family recipe book is just sitting there open. It's not supposed to be shared with anybody or anything like that. At some point she must have taken a photo of the recipe and forwarded it to her grandmother. No, yeah, I don't. I don't know if she meant to steal it, like maliciously or for whatever reason, but picture of it it's now a thing where her grandmother is holding it over my grandmother's head. Now, my grandmother's mad at me. She's like, why would you share that? You know, she's hissed.
Speaker 4: A petty grandma, right going on.
Speaker 2: Dude, this feels not that petty to me though.
Speaker 1: Like you got you get a signature dish that you bring to every event, and everybody wants to know what it is, and you can't tell them because then they're going to bring it, and then you have to ask like, oh are you bringing it?
Speaker 2: I'm going to bring it. It's a whole thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I just I feel like at the very least you should have like said something or asked me before. But like now because of the way it went down and I didn't realize and then like you know, these these grandma's they they if they got claws.
Speaker 2: You know, did you tell her it was a secret recpee before the photo?
Speaker 5: Like she knew, Oh yeah, oh yeah, she knows it's my grandma's secret recipe aboutely. Okay, Now my grandmother's like, you let some temptress come in and see you.
Speaker 7: Okay, hello, hello, Hello, I'm here, Thomas.
Speaker 3: Okay, hell shoot, all right, yeah, Thomas. That's Jilly, and she's been waiting on the other line wanting.
Speaker 4: To talk to you.
Speaker 5: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: No, Yeah, that's that's how this segment works. It's kind of sneaky, just like grandma.
Speaker 7: No. No, So listen, I didn't know I think it was going to be that big of a deal. I had no idea that my grandma was going to share it with your grandma like that and like literally taunt her. I did not know that she was going to do that.
Speaker 5: Well, you've met our grandmothers. They they are like, well, they got like old school beef with each other.
Speaker 7: Oh, but I'm thinking it was going to be more like like a funny thing. Like I didn't realize there was going to be like that, elevated emotionally.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's hilarious. Now she won't even like answer my phone calls.
Speaker 2: Oh that's bad.
Speaker 3: Well you don't really want to answer any grandma phone calls to be honest.
Speaker 2: That you should check the will because somebody may be written out.
Speaker 7: I mean, maybe I could talk to her.
Speaker 8: Maybe I can talk to her.
Speaker 5: Trust me, she does not want to talk to you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that, but.
Speaker 1: But I think there's only one way out of this, and that's Jullian. You have to go get your grandmother's secret recipe and.
Speaker 2: Give it to Thomas's grandmother. It's like tit for tat.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 8: Wait, wait, guys, I don't know. Maybe that's a little too far.
Speaker 4: Oh that's too far. But what you did was innocent.
Speaker 8: I think that might actually work.
Speaker 5: I think I know what recipe my grandmother would want.
Speaker 7: Really tell us, don't say it, please, Thomas, Please don't.
Speaker 5: Say it, Grandpa Jones bourbon pecan.
Speaker 3: Pie, pecan pie. That it would be a solution to balance things out and restore peace to the neighborhood, into the grandma versus.
Speaker 2: If you have to sneak it, I think it's worth it. Remember how hot Thomas got?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, oh.
Speaker 4: You didn't hear that, Thomas. By the way, never mind. I mean, I can't believe we're doing this.
Speaker 3: But Jillian, is it possible that you'd be able to give one leash, one family recipe in order to make things good with Thomas?
Speaker 2: That's right, the peacan pie.
Speaker 8: It's possible.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Just quick correction, it's not just the peacan pie recipe. It is a bourbon peacmpire.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, that's the one we want a Jillian says she's willing to betray her own grandmother and give it up to you.
Speaker 8: Well, I'm going to have to ask her, and I'm going to take some work, but I'm willing to give it a try.
Speaker 3: Well, there you go. Will you say yes to a second date? Because if you do, we would pay for it.
Speaker 5: I mean, how can I say?
Speaker 7: I know?
Speaker 5: Yeah, of course, all right.
Speaker 4: After that pecan pie.
Speaker 7: Curry. There you go.
Speaker 2: I'm hungry and turned on.
Speaker 4: That's normal.
Speaker 8: Thank you coming. I want you forward to it.
Speaker 2: Cute. You guys are gonna be cute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 5: And if you come over again, I got the rest of your book out. Just promise me you'll you'll ask me to close it or no? No wandering eyes?
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, you temptress.
Speaker 6: Rook and Jeffrey in the morning, No surprise.
Speaker 3: That was one of our most popular second date calls of last year. And we've got both Thomas and Jillian back on the phone with us today for any update updates.
Speaker 2: I didn't know if I wanted them or the Grandma's on the phone more.
Speaker 3: I mean, honestly, we just got Tom and Jill today. But let's go right to Jillian and ask, because everybody wants to know. Did you betray your grandfather and give away his secret pie recipe to Thomas?
Speaker 8: Okay, so I didn't give him the recipes, but we did reach a compromise where I would bake the pie in front of him.
Speaker 2: I didn't tell her grandpa.
Speaker 3: But Thomas, you said you were cool with it. Yeah, yeah, I was cool with that.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's seriously taking notes in the background. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean some guys just like to sit back and watch. I get that, and we we do love food drama, but I think we're more interested wondering are you two actually dating? Now?
Speaker 5: Well, there's so much competition between our families over the food stuff. We kind of agreed that if we went out, we needed to do it in secret and not tell anyone.
Speaker 3: Oh, you families couldn't know.
Speaker 2: Kind of like a Romeo and Juliet thing with a Waring family.
Speaker 3: It's kind of hot.
Speaker 2: Actually, wait, so were you secretly dating?
Speaker 8: Then? Well it has been six months and we are still going strong.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 8: We wanted to use this podcast to tell everybody to tell our families. Oh so we are officially together.
Speaker 1: Oh so you're either going to get congrats or angry texts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, we're gonna play the podcast for our families separately, ok yeah itself.
Speaker 4: Yeah that makes sense. Okay, so now yeah, you're official. That must feel good.
Speaker 8: It does. Oh my gosh, it's so good to not be having to make up stories about how I have to go meet a friend for coffee or there was the one I was like, I have a job interview at seven pm.
Speaker 7: You know, it's just ridiculous, remember, But.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I feel like we need another update to see how the families react.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, we'll see, you know, if they have a problem with it this, so it's gonna be okay.
Speaker 2: Just serve them really good food.
Speaker 1: The family recipes while they listen to the podcast.
Speaker 3: It's like a modern today Thanksgiving, we made peace. Well, it's cool to hear from you guys, and you're still together. Definitely keep us updated on your relationship, but we appreciate you coming back on the show. Abs, It's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.