Speaker 1: I'm a homegirl that knows a little bit about everything and everybody.
Speaker 2: You know, if you don't lie about that, right Lauren.
Speaker 1: Hey, you guys, it's Lauren Rosa and this is the latest with Lauren de Rosa. Now today's episode is going to be a bit different, but I do think I know my low riders.
Speaker 3: You guys are going to enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Because y'all have been asking me, when are we bringing celebrity interviews to the podcast, Lauren, Well, here we are. So I sat down in an exclusive conversation with Da Vinci from BMF in Big Tank, who is a music supervisor for BMF on Stars and a ton of other fifty cent shows. A music supervisor is a person who make sure that the music is placed right. So when y'all watching the series, it feels like the time that we in, it feels good, the music is good and all those things. And y'all know, Da Vinci plays Southwest Terry Southwest t who is Metch's brother in the series. Now, the new series, or the new season of BMF comes on Stars on June sixth, So I sat down and we talked a bit about what it was like making this season and all of the twists and the turns and the music.
Speaker 3: Enjoy. Here's my conversation from the Breakfast Club Give it Up for Lauren, but roll up lem Hello everybody, how are y'all? Y'all? Enjoined the conversation so far, well, we have a treat for you guys. But before we get.
Speaker 1: Into the conversation, as he mentioned, I'm longa Rosa here all the way from New York on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: We have some special people in the building to talk about, you.
Speaker 1: Know, BMS and how the music industry and what BMF means to the music industry continues to impact the culture.
Speaker 3: So joining me today, we have Derek gig.
Speaker 1: Tank Thornton, who is a music supervisor for the show Give it Up for Him and the eventually played Carrie Flinnery.
Speaker 3: Y'all gonna say, either side, whatever is this sty out? Ah did get mess? You gotta go back?
Speaker 1: They did not yell at back rounds to the chalk and I walked in and I was like, oh that goes to t And I was like, oh no, he's not Tea right now technically. But people connect to your character and they connect to the music. So we're gonna get in to the conversation tank. For those who don't know, can you explain, please, what is the role of a music supervisor, Like what does that mean? What does it inteil in the television series? What's your day to day job? And how did you decide?
Speaker 3: Well, answer that person and I'll ask you the second mark.
Speaker 4: So basically, from hiring the composer, find the composers, all the songs, every song in the background, a lot of times theme songs. You know, if I'm not creating that, I'm having they create it. So just every piece of music in a show, I'm a little pick okay.
Speaker 1: So once you get that together, you find a composer, you're picking the theme songs.
Speaker 3: How do you decide which tracks go and which like place? Because especially with be in mephids such like a time period p meaning like when you watch it, it's not present days.
Speaker 1: Music has to feel like that, the queue of the music the time and it comes in.
Speaker 3: How do you figure that out?
Speaker 4: So first you need to study that year. You know, the slangs gotta be right, you know, if we're talking about you know, Suzuki samuraiz and we're talking about you know, somebody's fresh to death or whatever it is, it's got to be time period appropriate. And then you know, I really believe like when I'm watching the scene, the scene kind of tells me which way to go. Like if you pay attention to what the scene is doing, it will kind of lend you towards you know, these songs should be a major, these songs should be a minor. What's this person listening to this? This is their attitude every single day, so they're probably listening to this kind of easy. So it's just really studying who that person is and making sure that the music fits their character. So you know, I love doing it. I love this basically A and R and a TV.
Speaker 1: Show when y'all are on set, as long as the music playing, Like how people when we watch it or is it just like silent.
Speaker 3: And you're just trying to figure out a lot?
Speaker 4: No, it's not, oh, because you gotta understand there's a big mic going, right, Okay, if this dialogue is going and there's music playing, then the MIC's gonna pick everything. Use sure, So when they hear I send in, I send there what's called a thump track, So you're here like and people will be dancing to that and then they can talk over it, and then I get it and we put the music and that's why he's looking at it now for the first time.
Speaker 5: You used to be like, yeah, yeah, Sometimes they'll just do playback, like he said, they will play the real song before the scene start, just so everyone could be in that zone, and then they'll be like, quiet the music, but keep dancing. So it's just silent as hell, and everyone's like and they were all there and they were acting like we're talking over the music. We're talking a lout, like, yo, I can't hear you with it.
Speaker 3: It's dead signent all right.
Speaker 1: So this question is both of you guys, what was it life working with Jordan Alexander. She plays a party in the series. So for those of you guys who were just watching that music video, she's the artist in that video.
Speaker 3: What was it like working with her? I'm hearing that that was Those were original songs that were created for her to just feel like the time that she was in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Jordan is actually dope.
Speaker 3: She's so dope.
Speaker 5: She's from Canada. Oh, she had an interesting way to see in life.
Speaker 4: But it's still like the States.
Speaker 5: Canada is like basically like us, but they just say things different. And I was inviting her over to the house and everyone and that we just started talking and I started picking her brand.
Speaker 4: I was like, Yo, this is fire like it was. She was a real artist, you know, and an actress.
Speaker 1: Was she casted that you guys were specifically looking for an actress who was also an artist or did it just so happen? And she's great for the part and she could actually she has she's a real artist who sounds good.
Speaker 6: You know what?
Speaker 4: It helps because I feel like, you know, just as a a viewer of shows, you could tell when somebody actually has real music ability and while we're faking it. So I always think, in my opinion, I always liked the cast someone will have music ability if they're playing the part of a music artist, you know what I'm saying. So it was definitely helpful in the studio being able to just tell her to like, Yo, let's let's let's cut down over, let's do this, let's do that, and to speak to her, ask somebody who makes music. She understood all the laboring. She understood what she was doing. She understood what she sounded two up to date and how to sound more. Tlc Ish you know what I mean. So that's what we've all for.
Speaker 3: I had a question for y'all, but I can't ask it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna ask you backstage when you just said it's okay, and I can't because I don't.
Speaker 3: Want to do away anything.
Speaker 1: But so you guys askally producing the music for her the song that we just heard, so that's her song originally just was for the show, right, and so who does she write it? And you produce?
Speaker 4: So we have people come in write the song, like the people who wrote like TLC's records, you know what I mean, and and made those beats, and we'll have them cut in and create something specifically for her, and then we'll go in and we'll record the record, make sure again gets mixed and make sure feels of that time. So same drum machine, same keyboards saying everything so it sounds like that. So that's what we're doing.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: So music is one part of you know, this season of BMS, but ask every season and all of you know the fifty cent world of stars.
Speaker 3: With BMN, for sure, you.
Speaker 1: Have a set design, you have your costumes, your hair, your makeup, and in this season in particular, you guys are in two different worlds a lot, so the costuming and the look and you know, everything looks really really different.
Speaker 3: The bitch.
Speaker 1: He talked to me a bit about first of all, going into those two different worlds and shooting that and just how everything changes, like your hair, your everything.
Speaker 4: By security too.
Speaker 5: It will be watching me.
Speaker 4: But the waygo a week dying laughing.
Speaker 5: I'm literally talking to him fixing it and like trying to cover the lace.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, now I know what girls go through.
Speaker 3: Did you have the little thing around your edges the dawn the lace edges? It's yeah, you did, bohol.
Speaker 5: I know what it's like to swear and shit living in I know why I gotten a little fans.
Speaker 4: It's like, boy, it was it was work. I know what I was like, I know why I got.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, I go, yeah, I know the whole filming.
Speaker 4: Bro, I gonna lie.
Speaker 5: I gain a lot of respect for women in what I go through because I was annoyed as hell body way. Boy, I was like, oh my god then and my brain is like a week old under it. I'm like, bro, I'm gonna take each out between takes me and me got rattail.
Speaker 3: Col and we like like it's.
Speaker 4: Now we was going through it.
Speaker 1: And on the music side of it this season, what else new or different or just anything you want to talk about that you incorporated this season soundtrack wise to reflect how action packed it was, you know, the friction between the brothers, uh, the you know characters out for revenge. There were certain times when I realized certain songs and I was like, oh, I see.
Speaker 4: They did that trying to talk to you without talking to you, you know what I mean? But this season, man, I think the biggest differences, Uh, this year, we're starting to hit some coast, the West coast here, Mop's going to hear some early you know, and some early Bounty musa from the South. So there's just things now that their trade that now that they're moving around, the music's gotta move around too.
Speaker 6: So we're hitting all those things. Ain't nobody you know on the music. We ain't doing no backflips or that. I said, yeah for sure, I was on my own stunts, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That's the licensing like though, like do you have like a certain amount of time you can use songs for or.
Speaker 4: You know what, and you know this is that's a really good question. So that's a licensing question. So usually what happens is, if I'm watching the scene, I'll figure out how long the song should be in there for, and then we go out to get the song.
Speaker 3: So, if you're on an independent.
Speaker 4: Artist or whatever, they're gonna send their music, I understand that's how it works.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Basically, I'm gonna give you a fee, and that's going to clear the song because I may want to change the length of the use as I watch it, or you know, if the editor's cut it a little bit differently. So I'm gonna give you a feed. You still own it. I'm just licensed to use it on the show. But it could be anywhere from third or seconds to two minutes. You know, we use it get in and get out pretty quick because nobody really sitting on the scene unless it's a montage. But that's the whole other story.
Speaker 3: Well, I appreciate the conversation, y'all. I'm out of question.
Speaker 1: They ain't give you no more. If I just keep going, somebody need to let me know because I got them, but I just don't know if I.
Speaker 3: Can keep going or not.
Speaker 1: Oh, you gotta Hi god thing.
Speaker 2: It's actually my name on Instagram is exactly. I'm a content creator Terry. If you see a small clicks, I just wanted to say, shape.
Speaker 3: Up on a lace front. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: That's number one, Uh real road spicing. But I wanted to know two questions, one for you and one for big Tanks. So the question is for the fashion, did you hit any input because it's getting up there this season? That's number one? And number two is the second question for you? Was big your real music during the scene?
Speaker 3: What's the budget like behind it?
Speaker 1: That was a great question, Like are you working like a label when you're going out to these artists that you like? You know you're bringing these arts and stuff like that, Like.
Speaker 4: I like, I mean I will license big label records, like you know what I'm saying. We definitely do that a couple of times on an episode. But be like, mom, I got the song on b amth you know what I'm saying. Because if you get back to them, I feel like they're gonna it's gonna continue to get back to us. So, like, I have a whole podcast coming out soon called The Man behind the Music and launching about a month and we literally are going to be taking submissions from all y'all and breaking down the songs and showing up next to scenes and yeah that's what we know it. So I see we're about to wrap up.
Speaker 3: I was like, yo, moving joy making, I don't for a minute.
Speaker 4: Question Yeah, yeah, I got a question, be teen. Wait, so Jordan who played the character?
Speaker 5: She get bred for that song?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 4: So like people can people download that song?
Speaker 3: Because if he.
Speaker 4: Released like so, stars usually will put out like I do all the all of the fifty cent shows, so raising Kine and ghosts, bemt force. If there's a song on the show that we have an artist performed, Stars will put that song out there.
Speaker 3: Into the marketplace make music too, bro. Yeah, I got a question, so tag me. How did y'all shooted last season? For you? Six seven minute? And y'all never talked about this?
Speaker 5: No, I didn't know like the independent arts any Wait, so you could sign Jordan too?
Speaker 3: I'm really good. That's not a conflict adventure, it's killed. Nah.
Speaker 5: What I came from the music, Well, I just didn't like the labels and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: No, No, this is opportunities out there.
Speaker 3: Bro. We got to talk. Did you know you made Okay, we're about because y'all ain't up here researching and I'm I'm gonna sign that kid, you know what I'm saying. We just figured or something. So when y'all signed that deal, can I please announce exclusively on the purpose up all right? Thank you, y'all, Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 1: All righty y'all, Well, that was the conversation that I sat down with BMFS, Da Vinci and Big Tank to have during the Roots Picnic. And y'all, I know there's been a lot out there about the Roots Picnic and you know what I mean, but nature happened. They handled it the best that they could. But this conversation came out of that picnic. So I am forever grateful for Stars inviting me out to have this conversation and for the Roots Picnic for even happening, because we wouldn't have had it. Let me know if you guys have enjoyed the conversation, if you'll be tuned in and what was your favorite part of the conversation, make sure you tweet me, Instagram repost this all the things.
Speaker 3: I'm Laura La Rosa.
Speaker 1: I tell you guys, every episode you guys could be anywhere because at the end of the day, there's always a lot to talk about, and you could talk about it with anybody. I thank you guys for choosing me each and every time. I'll see you in my next episode.