Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable. We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on These are our stories, Done done, Hello and welcome to That's Messed Up n SVU Podcasts. I am one of your hosts, Kara Klank and I'm Liza Traeger. We talk SVU true crime. We have celeb guests that are pre taped before the strike and then we will not have guests anymore until the strike is over.
Speaker 2: We are not scabs, thank you very much. SAG Strong, WGA Strong.
Speaker 1: We support the unions, all right. We're not going to just talk about that the whole time like we did the last episode, but we will talk about our tour for a few moments before we get into our basses. If you guys are somehow just picking up on the podcast right now, on episode one hundred and forty something, we are actually going on tour. We have an amazing, fun live show that we do at comedy clubs and venues all across the country. We're doing twenty one cities starting this September, and we're going to be in the Midwest the South, Toronto, Chicago. That's the Midwest. But Gus, you guys know what I'm saying that mid Atlantic. We're going to be in DC starting September tenth. Those tickets are going fast, so grab those. And then the first few shows are Atlanta, Charlotte and Rally in September, and then in October we've got Buffalo, New Haven, Burlington, Vermont, Cleveland, Ohio, Boston. Let's take a second to talk about Boston. Boston, you guys showed up so hot for us last year. It was amazing. Unfortunately it got the attention of the Wilber who then booked us. And it's a very large venue and we really really want to try to fill it. So please get tickets, bring your friends, people, anyone that's ever even seen us. For you one time, I think you can agree we're a fun show if you've come before, and if you haven't, we're about to show you. But new cities were doing Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, Milwaukee, Saint Louis, places we haven't done before. And we'll be back to New York and Philly in December around the holidays. So check that's messed up dot com. I just left out a ton of different and we're doing like some big prestigious venues to Chicago, Park West, Boston, wilbur So, like, you guys got to come on out so or not City Winery, Yeah, City Winery in New York.
Speaker 2: So come go check out.
Speaker 1: That's messed up live dot com because I totally just didn't mention like ten of the cities that we're doing. So go check it out, buy a tick, come see us live. We sell specific tour merch on the tour. We do meet and greets. We meet like to meet everybody. Come and come and talk to us. Tell us what your astrological sign is or your problems. We'd love to hear about it. Anyway, let's move on. What's going on? Today's up soda is a is a big one. But what's going on in life before? You just got back from New York. I did just get back from New York. We're in the time machine. It really runs me ragged because yesterday, I you know, I flew in at like whatever, I slept, I woke up and then I slept for four hours, and then I did dinner with you, and then I fell asleep almost immediately when I got home, Like, Oh, I'm so glad because when I when we left parted ways, I was like, I bet she's gonna be up till four because she's all fucked up on New York and the napping.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you needed the sleep.
Speaker 1: I think you were running on adrenaline for like seven straight days. Like I was well the first like I wasn't able to sleep, so I was up all night. But then it's just like I am doing late spots all day. My sister's my sister is a party animal. I didn't realize it. She came to New York demanding a party. I took her home at one am. She was livid, kicking and screaming like a children being like asked to be leave the pool, like she did not want to go home. She but then of course falls asleep, so like and then you know, mattin a then she wants to see this and she doesn't get how the city is, so she'll be like, why can't we just take the ferry And it's like, cause we're on the west side right now and the East side is over there, and so it was just really like a fun time to be in New York with my sister and.
Speaker 2: We do cool shit.
Speaker 1: And then Julia kept being like, normal people don't get to do this. You know, we were at a premiere of a TV show, so it's like, you know, just but people kept coming up to me the whole party being.
Speaker 2: Like, your sister's a hit, your sister's the star of the party.
Speaker 1: I mean, she was out and about.
Speaker 2: I love that. Oh my gosh, speaking of New York and sisters.
Speaker 1: I'm leaving this will by the time you guys are listening to this, she will already be married.
Speaker 2: But I'm going to my sister's wedding on in two days.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be going to New York for a small courthouse wedding. I get to go inside, I get to be one of the witnesses, and and then it's a family dinner with my insane family and then a little after party. Actually, the after party is at a bar that you and I have been to together. I got the name from Julia. Julia might as well just come on and be a third co host of this podcast. I feel like the amount that we talk about her, But.
Speaker 2: Wait, type in the bar into the thing.
Speaker 1: I can't live without knowing what bar are going to be going to it's killing me.
Speaker 2: It's small, but like I wasn't. I remember it being we went on a summer night.
Speaker 1: I remember being very cool, and it's like this wedding is in July, and I just want it to be cool. And like cause it's like twenty five of us for that like party part of it, and I just they reserved us a whole section of the bar.
Speaker 2: I think the bar is pretty much just going to be ours.
Speaker 1: So but we didn't have to, like, you know, do catering and all that shit.
Speaker 2: I've I called so many bars in New York and there's so many crazy rules.
Speaker 1: But what are the rules? So if you want to rent space, like what you gotta there's just like you got to hit a minimum and like and per person trying to give us a depositing case, you break furniture and like hold Chris, all this shit. I tried to get a cabana, yeah, and I knew it was going to be expensive at summer in New York, but it had a fifteen hundred dollars minimum for food and drink or was it asty five hundred?
Speaker 2: It was something wild.
Speaker 1: I'm actually I got a after you pay for the cabana itself. You need to then buy fifteen hundred dollars or maybe sixty five hundred dollars, which is essentially everyone in your party having two full bottles of liquor. I don't understand how you would even spend sixty five hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: I guess food. That's so funny.
Speaker 1: That's like asking for people to get alcohol poisoning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dying because if.
Speaker 1: You're you know, a bottle service, and bottles are four hundred dollars or whatever. I guess you could hit that maybe, But like even Wagoo beef is going to be one hundred dollars a plate. How are you gonna hit sixty five hundred dollars? Maybe I'm downplaying wago beef. You know, I'm a vegetarian. I don't know how much it fucking costs. But no, that's so true, Like people will be dying in the sun, they all drinking thousands. Gotta hit this minimum. Hand me the bottle of fucking Tito's. You know what I missed from my youth? All you can eat sushi. I heard there's an actual good place in La But like I'm when in my early twenties there was one place on a fucking Belmont in Chicago, and I would go there with the other receptionists at the salon and it was so fun and vials and you're saying, now sushi's more readily available to the youth. I just am not really doing sushi buffets or but like all you can eat, like I'm not I'm not like a twenty two year old on a budget looking Oh yeah, all yeah, the buffet. I missed the buffet part. I was like, okay, okay. I was like, you know, I need sushi all the time. Yeah, I was like, what's this story? But no, what I really love it's not all you can eat because you do pay by the plate. I'm obsessed with rotating sushi. I got it in Japan and I love it, and they have it here at a place and I really want to go we sugar. I've never I've never been to the to the sushi belts. I would love to do that so good and you just pay like per plate. They stack up your plates at the end and figure out what you ate because like there's different rings around the plates or whatever that tell them how much everything is. I like love it and it's so because it's just like, uh, a little choo choo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little choo choo. I love that so well.
Speaker 1: I also saw two Broadway shows while I was in New York, one of which a guest who you will meet soon on the podcast hooked it up one of her friends or like, does pr for this show, So I got from our guests. I couldn't believe it. I saw and Juliette and then I saw Shucked.
Speaker 3: Both.
Speaker 1: I would recommend both great times in the theater. I had orchestra seats. That adds, of course, but I mean fantastic. I just people on Broadway are the most talented people in the world. Yeah, and like gymnastic Olympians. Like if you combine, if you're a Broadway person who was a gymnast, you are the most talented person.
Speaker 2: Do you know that?
Speaker 1: Actually, the day that this is coming out, I am seeing in New York Titanique, which.
Speaker 2: Is off Broadway. Bitch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got tickets because I'm like, I'm going out to the East Coast. I mostly stay in Connecticut with my kids in the pool and like whatever, but I'm taking one night to go into the city with Jared and we're gonna go see Titanique, which is like literally this hit, smash hit off Broadway musical about about the It's the story.
Speaker 2: Of the Titanic.
Speaker 1: But okay, this music has been musical, has been out way before all the submersible drama. But it's the story of the Titanic set to the music of Celen Deon and multiple very funny people in my life have told me it's like one of the funniest things they've ever seen. So it was a huge excited. It's yeah, I'm got to see that. And they're like us, they bartended on watch What Happens Live, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Well we're all very special club of bartenders. My favorite are the people who don't who thought we were truly going to be bartending.
Speaker 2: I think those are my favorite people. Oh yeah, they go, oh you make those drinks?
Speaker 1: Well no, When we were on it, one of the guests goes, you made these drinks?
Speaker 2: Were like, sir, we're backstage with you, like we did not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a bow in my hair, bitch, which I haven't worn since. I got to remember that I have this bow. I really like it. It is really cute. Anyways, speaking of Bravo, also some New York highlights. One I went to Cafe Luxembourg I had. I had sweet corn ravioli. Ooh, I love that you have. I've never had black truffle and pepccerino, and it was one of the best dishes I've ever had in my life.
Speaker 2: Did the experience.
Speaker 1: Get added at Cafe Luxembourg that Kevin Bacon and Kia Sedgwick were sitting behind us, Yes, that was thrilling. Casey's making a face, he's excited. But my sister is such a Midwest girl. She just kept being like, well, take a photo of me with them in the background. And I'm like, honey, we don't do that in New York. We don't do that. We leave Kevin Bacon and Kia Sedgwick alone. I'm writing this down in my phone right now for you have to get that to get if I'm able to get dinner the night of time Tinnique, maybe because that's one of my favorite things, like a sweet corn ravioli. They have something like that at Hippo and it's like seasonally and it's so good. I didn't know that about you because I texted our friend Lauren, who loves corn famously and so I sent her the and she goes to New York off and I was like, you have to fuck it.
Speaker 2: It was one act because that's not really even a go to for me, you know.
Speaker 1: I of course i'd shrimp cocktail as an app but it was one of the best dishes I've ever eaten.
Speaker 2: So shout out to Cafe Luxembourg.
Speaker 1: Second, I would like to say, where else, Oh, the Commodore, frozen moheedos delicious?
Speaker 2: Am I trip Advisor right now? No, I'm trying to get to the big thing.
Speaker 1: The big thing is I met Garcel Bouvet and I met Luannella SEPs Here, huge, huge, it's it's on it, it's I teared up when I saw Luanne.
Speaker 2: I really teared up.
Speaker 1: I don't think like I can really like in my mind, I act like they're just like reality people. I don't really care, but like he's in six or something of Ronie. I was walking past five Knapkeenberger on the Upper West Side with my husband and I stopped in my tracks because I saw Luanne and Jacques eating outside there, and I made us turn around and pretend we forgot something so we could walk back again.
Speaker 2: Like your body takes over.
Speaker 1: These people are important to us, like I act like I don't care and like it's not like it's Meryl Streep. It basically is to my body, I had a heart attack. Well, it's also better because reality TV stars usually and Garcelle's also an actress, so she is different. Yes, but pure reality stars. They want attention, they want to talk to you. They don't need the peace. They they're not like leave me alone myself. They crave the attention. Except Ramona, I hear she's a big bitch. But what can you expect? But like, yeah, Luanne was happy to get photos, happy to get complimented, loving my own Connecticut's own. Luanne de Les subs that's my in with her. If I meet her that we're both, I'm gonna start there. I'll be like, I'm from Connecticut, you know.
Speaker 2: She loved that. And then I had a keychain I had.
Speaker 1: I was I had the keychain with me that had the fish room and the Berkshires on it. So I did get made fun of by our friends, but which.
Speaker 2: We bought at DragCon.
Speaker 1: Yes, I sets a keychain out and I went, Luienn, look at my keychain.
Speaker 2: It as the fish room. I was drunk. I don't know how if you if you.
Speaker 1: Watch Lisa's stories, you saw her looking like a cross between like I'm seven years old and my parents just told me I'm going to Disney for the first time, but also like possibly might cry holding the keychain with Luanne next to her Luen's and a fedora looking like she's partying. And it's the minute I saw I think I was in bed and I gasped. I was like, oh my god, and I texted you and was like I'm gonna need to hear all about this right now.
Speaker 2: Like it was so fun.
Speaker 1: But my sister and her bonnet, because my sister doesn't have like me and Juliet, like we sat, we watched, we interacted, we got her foot, but then we like you know, stood back, but my sister didn't give a shit.
Speaker 2: She was just in New York, so that's just the woman.
Speaker 1: So she put there's photos of them with their arm around each other and they're shit chatting. But my sister kept trying to cock black Luanne and like save her, and we had to be like she's a slut.
Speaker 2: She fucks everyone in New York.
Speaker 1: Have you not watched like Bethany opened her legs, screaming at her and the berksheers about it.
Speaker 2: She's a whore. No, but because that's what everyone was mad.
Speaker 1: We're saying that positively, by the way, we're sec Yeah, go fuck whoever you want.
Speaker 2: Like, but yes, she kept no.
Speaker 1: He regretted it, Bethany regretted calling her a sluthore and all these things because we are all sex positive. They're just mad because she plays the like dimmy or part and very judgmental.
Speaker 2: But we know she's out there hooking not.
Speaker 1: She was kind of like she was she was having a hard time letting go of her countess persona and now I feel like she's dropped it and she's like bare hands fishing and crappy.
Speaker 2: Lake or whatever.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, wait, what's the Kennedy Davenport from Drag Race hook in her outfit the death thing from a night of hooken and then the John got mad and she came from the flames.
Speaker 2: I wish I knew the whole quote.
Speaker 1: You know, Kennedy Davenport, I think is the most underrated Drag Race, well, one of the most confessional queens, like not only amazing in lip syns and dancing, but like those confessionals like fuck my drag right, like so many things that she said are like monument like iconic slipping in the air and her snatch game was revolutionary, I mean. But also the my Gorsel moment class we were at apart, we were in a thing together. But I think one of the greatest moments of my life is we were both walking out of the screening at the same time and she pointed at me and brought me over and.
Speaker 2: Hugged excuse me, and said your name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I didn't remember that my friend because then our friend was like I saw it, I saw it. I saw it a huge though, like then somebody she asked, somebody, what's that girl's name?
Speaker 2: And then when she saw you was like, yeah, it was. It was. It was wild.
Speaker 1: And then we talked to her at the party for a little bit and she posted me and my friend in a photo with her in her main like in the carousel. Garcel posted a photo of me in her own carousel, So it was it was. Scroll back, scroll back and Garcel boves Instagram one month and you will find pictures of Lisa and just stunning, I would say, stun like so beautiful, but so like chilling nice. I don't know, it really was a high and like maybe that was exhausting me too. While my sister was skipping around town, I'm like, I am fulfilled to a point where I can't really go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your your cup was run a thing over for sure.
Speaker 1: But that's the great thing about New York is then that was all amazing. We get sandwiches from the bodega. Then I had to pay over seven hundred dollars to get into my locksmith. I I got locks mixed, locksmith, swindled, I got smith. Well, she got locked out of the apartment that she was staying in from some kind of like no one knows how it happened, like that lock doesn't lock on its own thing and called a locksmith. But if you've ever listened, there's a there's a defunct podcast now called reply All that I'm that I really used to like. And one of the things that they covered on that podcast, and you can just google locksmith conspiracy and it's about how like the locksmith industry bought up all the Google AdWords and people that are not talented locksmith's are now the first people that you call and they'll come to you. They'll say, I'll do it for eighty dollars. They'll be there in half an hour. Then they'll get there and go, oh, you have a weird door. I have to just jacket open with a drill. And then they're like, that's going to be seven hundred dollars because they're swindling you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because then at my show at Union Hall, thank you for everyone that came, I was like, how much have people spent? Like, you know, when I was asking people, and no one there had spent over four hundred. I was mostly like the two hundred. But it was in the middle of the night. I mean, whatever, it is, what it is. I needed to get into the apart. And it's hot, like that's the thing Like in La other places are hot, but air conditioning is very vital part of our lives here and that's just not the case in New York. You're in the streets, it's hot, it's old buildings, it's window units, there's not a lot of AC. I have heat rash under both my armpits.
Speaker 2: It is I'm gonna have to bring my romy with me to New York.
Speaker 1: And that's not even a part of our paid advertisement.
Speaker 2: I just feel like I have to bring it. Bring the fucking loomy. The tits are sweating. It is. It is brutal out there.
Speaker 1: But I also had like my last night, there was such a New York night, like I did our friends sold out show. Honestly someone that was a patient of your mom, doctor Klank. Yes, So I did a fun show with like fun friends. It was amazing. Then we went out to a bar, went dancing. It was like a disco floor, had shots. I had a little mushrooms, you know. Then we rushed over to the last hour of a carnival and it's like road the firest wheel, you know, like had Italian fried cookies, just like lights. You know, you feel like you're in an episode of Viephoria at a carnival. And then it's just like a beautiful walk home. And I had to hop over a rat. A rat came at me and if I didn't jump, I would have touched it. And it was like, now it's a perfect New York day. Now you've been touchy all of New York's finest things, the wildlife, the night life, it's all there. But tonight Lisa and I are going together to see theater camp, So stay tuned for next week when we give.
Speaker 2: You our review. I cannot freaking wait to see this.
Speaker 1: I know the movie will be probably out of theaters by the time this even comes out, but I'm like so pumped to see it. Yeah, I think we're gonna it's just fun, I mean for me. Unfortunately, this has been like the first summer in a decade I've wanted to see almost every movie, Like it is rare, Like it just feels like there's something that happened this summer where they've realized we just want to have a good time. We just want to laugh, enjoy ourself, elves and you know, and they gave it to us. It is kind of nice that there's some comedies coming back, like the Jennifer Lawrence, the joy Ride, like Barbie's Gonna be funny, you know, Like it felt like for a few years comedies were just like dead, unless it was like the Minions, and you know, I still consider that high comedy.
Speaker 2: But should we get started.
Speaker 1: We've got an amazing episode for you guys today and excited to show it to you.
Speaker 2: Spousal privilege everyone.
Speaker 1: We're doing season sixteen, episode eight from the year twenty fourteen, if you want to put yourself there while we dive in to the Sespeu episode. So we open up on Tomorrow yelling at Maria, his wife in their loveless marriage, and everyone in the office is looking at him as he screams into the phone and they are judging the fight is about custody and Thanksgiving and Zara, and then he hangs like he gets hung up on and then he punches the lockers, and now we see Rollins is also judging and a little worried. And then he opens the fridge and all of this is under the stairs and I really don't remember the fridge lockers stare situation.
Speaker 2: When did that start?
Speaker 1: Like I don't up for that, Like I really that that came out of nowhere for me, and then tells Rollins don't tell me what to do when she tries to just be like, hey, why don't you be like positive?
Speaker 2: And then he's so emo and dances off.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: Rollins goes back to her desk and before Finn can say anything, she goes, shut the fuck up, don't even say it. He's like, what, But I also don't know what's going on here? I wonder if Finn knows that they're fucking, are they fucking at this point or.
Speaker 2: Just you know, Tomorrow's a mess. Leave him alone. You're not going to help him.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't actually understand this whole interaction, but it's cute and I love their friendship and dynamic. So Benson whoops in like a boss and asks what's up. So she sees Tomorrow with his hurt hand, and he's obviously not going to tell her what's up.
Speaker 2: That's the boss.
Speaker 1: You can't be like I was yelling at my wife in the middle of the precinct and.
Speaker 2: I punched to lock her like a yea goo.
Speaker 1: And Finn and Rollins are working on their laptops or pretending to work, you know, because their boss walked in, I don't know. Benson catches Finn and she's like, is that work related? And because he's looking at bikini models and he goes, oh, it's a celebrity nude selfie leak from the cloud, and Benson goes and it's SVU because and Finn's like, well, some of these girls are underage. So and then Benson goes, all right, yeah, wrap it up. I don't buy it, and fucking porn hungry Detective Somorrow walks over and acts very anti SVU. If you don't want nude photos of you on the internet, don't take nude photos, and Rollins tries to put him in his place. Don't wear a short skirt if you don't want to ge assaulted. Is that what you're saying, Amorrow? And Tomorrow looks off in silence, understanding his mistake. Then he catches something on the site and Finn is like that, Fin is on and he goes, wait, hold up, what's that? So they watch a video and it's Aj Martin. He's a football correspondent, and then Rollin's you know, tomboy, tomboy to the max. She adds, well before that he won the Heisman in an eight time pro bowler. And then so he's in the video and it's with his baby mama and her name is Paula Bryant and they're drunk and they're walking up cement stairs and the footage is from a security camera and he slaps her ass as.
Speaker 2: They walk up, and then uh oh.
Speaker 1: The next video is him pulling her unconscious to the car in this parking garage, dragging her like a dead body. Vibe and ice. He goes, whoa, and Benson goes, are you fucking kidding me? Is this a whole CELEBNU desk force? Come on guys, And Omaro's like it kind of might be more and she she recognizes AJ Martin too, and Rollins thinks this happened after the met Ball six weeks ago. The theme was black and white and that's what they're wearing. And then the music plays and Benson's like, this can't be because he wasn't picked up, Like, what's what's going on? So then in the video we see, like, you know, a uniformed kind of cop, like a patrol beat guy approached the couple and as he's like pulling his lifeless girl all around into the car, and that cop should have done something. I get that this dude's a sports hero, but like, are you fucking kidding me? Yeah, he's dragging a woman around and you're like, no, no worries. It's just like it really upsets me that. But I you know what, also, even if he wasn't a sports hero and he was just a dude, I bet I bet so many times a patrol cop would be like, I'll get your drunk bitch home.
Speaker 2: No worries. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I always think of the Dahmer victim who ran up to the cops and Dahmer was like, this is my boyfriend. He's just like drunk, and they let him go back and he was killed by Jeffrey Dahmer. It's just so fucked up because this happened to me once in Grand Rapids, where this like limb like really limped wasted girl was getting sh into the backseat of a car and the dudes were like, not the You know, if it was my friend who was what, I'd be like, Oh god, Stacy's always the strength. What a nightmare, blah blah blah. But they like, as soon as you're defensive, I know what's up. But I called nine one one, I followed the car, I got the license plate. No one ever helped anyone, No one ever arrived. I don't know what happened. Yeah, no one cares. Yeah, like to be.
Speaker 2: A police officer seeing.
Speaker 1: Someone dragging a passed out woman and you're like, oh.
Speaker 2: You play football, No worries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Crazy Benson wants the video of what happened between the stairs where he just smacks her butt and the parking spots where he's dragging her, like, what the fuck happened in there?
Speaker 2: Tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Can't find the footage online, but they're going to contact the garage. Benson also adds for them to contact the local precinct and taw like, what the fuck happened? That the cop did nothing? And that shocks Finn like that she even wants to investigate this, and she's like, well, after ray Rice and the others, if there's a sniff of domestic violence, we need to pounds.
Speaker 2: She spins with a hair toss, and we go right into the credits.
Speaker 1: Baby Amorro and Rollins are talking to a uniformed cop at the office, being like, come on, who doesn't hit the mother of his children when you're drunk?
Speaker 2: It happens. Who cares?
Speaker 1: He accuses Sbu of having a slow work day and that's why they're trying to take the case further. He explains his officer arrested both of them on the scene. They put cuffs on her lifeless body. They're like, she looks out of it. He says she declined medical attention and he was really polite, and then they go, well were they ever spoken to separately? And he goes, I didn't feel the need and so I just hate him, and Amorro spots an autograph football and says, oh, I get it, and the cops like whatever.
Speaker 2: AG's a legend.
Speaker 1: And so he said that she got jealous and went insane at the party, and somehow some low life leaked the video. He goes, listen, it was dismissed. Go to the DA or something. This isn't my fucking problem. This cop doesn't care. He's a nine to fiver. The job's done for you after So the go talk to Barba and he's like, not that invested in it. The ADA who took the case and didn't do an adequate job, according to Benson, is on his first vacation in three years. So Barba's like, I'm not bothering him, and I guess I have to take this case, but I am annoyed, but I know that you're SVU and you're not going to drop this. And he's like, they said it was a drunk marriage fight and nobody wanted to take it further, and he got community service but then didn't take the deal and then nothing happened and no one followed up. So it's just kind of in limbo. But the case isn't closed. There was no deal, it wasn't officially dismissed, so it is like still open. And Benson says this Eightya shouldn't have just taken the CoP's word, and Barbara goes, I take your word all the time. And she's been gotten. So Benson is pissed. And Barbara's like, we need stairwell footage, and Benson says, we're on it, We're on it, We're trying to get it.
Speaker 2: But also, you know how this goes. We've seen it before.
Speaker 1: He knocked for the fuck out, dragged her into the car, and Benson's like, he didn't take the offer, So the case is open. Find the tape or get her to change her story of slipping and falling. And so we go to their home in Greenwich, Connecticut on Pearl Lane, and I would love to live on Pearl Lane.
Speaker 2: Such a cute name.
Speaker 1: Oh there's a Pearl in New York, right, Yeah, there's got to be.
Speaker 2: So they're holding hands at the house.
Speaker 1: They're sitting side by side in really comfy chairs, and Aj explains that he didn't take the deal, but he did cooperate with police and YadA YadA, and Benson's like, well, that's pre the video coming out, and he's like, exactly, we need to get the person who leaked it. And it's like yeah, let's just what's what a nice redirection? Yeah, and they're like, oh, we're onto that too, don't worry. And a kid runs in and throws a football at Finn and he says he wants to play football like his dad. Meghan Good is playing Paula the mom and the wife and you know, football wife. So Meghan Good is like, go to your room and she says, grown folks are to and he asked, oh, what are you guys talking about, and then he gets yelled at by the dad. He's like junior, And immediately this kid is like yes sir, and the dad is like, nobody is playing with you. Get the fuck out of here, and he scurries the fuck off, and Benson.
Speaker 2: Of course reads into it.
Speaker 1: And then Finn and Aj bond over football and his son playing football, and while he's talking about the snats and what the coach told him, his wife just interrupts because she's excited and she wants to finish the sentence, and he doesn't like it. And he glares at her and she's uncomfortable and shuts up for sure. Immediately, Benson and Paula end up going to the restroom for employ obviously to get her alone. But this, you know who, This husband reminds me of Monique Samuel's husband on Potomac.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Chris Samuels.
Speaker 1: I got that vibe from him, like when she yawned and he go and while he was talking and he was like, oh am I boring, Like he got mad because she yawned, and I was like, oh, this is unsafe. Like when they announced their divorce. I was really happy for her. Yeah, yeah, crazy. I just this vibe like you should like just looking at someone and they have to change their behavior Like that sucks.
Speaker 2: That's a sad life.
Speaker 1: So anyways, wait, can we also take a second, though, and just talk about how Megan Good is playing this part and now eight years later, seven years later, she's dating Jonathan Majors, who's in the middle of a huge domestic violence charge. It's so crazy, like it came up by Instagram. It came up on my Instagram and I was like, wait a minute, what, Like I really really crazy. It's like art life imitating art crazy. It's it's wild.
Speaker 2: When you sent that to me, I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Finn is left with AJ and they have a bond and a vibe together, and he's like, obviously you know why we're here, and he's like, no, I respect that. You know, you have to do your job and he's like, yeah, especially with athletes press, we need to check things out. So he's like, so what happened and he's like, we were drunk, words were exchanged and Finn's like, well, it looks like words turn into deeds and he says she even knows that this was her fault. She fell off the rails. She had a few and he wanted everything to stay tight. And Benson has Paula alone and asks if she wants to say anything.
Speaker 2: She's like, do you want to tell me anything?
Speaker 1: And she says she went after him and slipped, and Benson's like, but you were walking up the stairs, so.
Speaker 2: Like this isn't like check out.
Speaker 1: AJ cuts them off quick and he stops it, but like he runs in quick, like he has amazing hearing, Like I don't know how he like figured it out to scurry in the hallway that fucking fast, and so he's Chad Chad L. Coleman, which sounds like a fun ass name. I really like it. And he was in a season four episode which is wild. He was like a welcoming cop aka prison warden, but I like welcoming cop more in the episode Rotten.
Speaker 2: And he's in like Giant fandom.
Speaker 1: So he's in Walking Dead and the Oreville and he's just been working for decades, like he is on Fire. He works a lot and so but basically so his character AJ is like, this is my house, and anything you say to Paula, you can say to the both of us, and I have already given you enough, and I gave you permission to be in this house.
Speaker 2: This man is contra rolling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Benson is leaving in his swaying trench coat as Finn and Rollins are looking at Galla footage and the garage is claiming they don't have the stair footage, and Benson says, then get a fucking warrant, like we need to push them on that. Finn is being defensive of AJ and how both him and Rollins were scared of their moms and got hit and it's like okay, and you know. So he's controlling and Benson goes she is covering for him. Amaro says that he got hit by his dad and that taught him you never hit a kid or a woman, So like, stop fucking excusing it, and then rollins pick me girl extraordinaire. She's I mean, he could have been fending her off. I hate this, he's like her size, Like truly, I just hate this that, like men use their physical strength so often to prove their superiority over women, but then as soon as it's a domestic violence situation, it's like I had to defend myself. She came at me, and it's like, aren't you guys constantly saying how you're stronger and bigger and better than us. Yea, all of a sudden, you have to protect yourselves against us, our frail bodies.
Speaker 2: Especially she's not holding a.
Speaker 1: Weapon, Like if she's coming at you with a gun, okay, maybe, but like she has no weapon, She's just a tiny woman. This is you're a football player, Yeah, you're a professional beater upper, Like your job is to get hit and hit, like you had to defend yourself against your like supermodel wife.
Speaker 2: It's just fucking bullshit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how like they'll push the needle back and forth, always like we're not equal.
Speaker 2: Oh, actually we are.
Speaker 1: She hit me, okay, yeah, so that's that's Rollin's point of view. Omorro starts to yell and then Benson answers the phone and goes, wait, oh my god, what and then they turn on LMZ aka TMZ, which is so funny because TMZ stands for thirty mile zone. So what does LMZ stand for, Lisa?
Speaker 2: What's thirty mile zone mean?
Speaker 1: The thirty mile zone is like the thirty miles around Hollywood, I think, is like what TMZ covers.
Speaker 2: Oh that's funny. I didn't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never knew that. That's a fun fact. Take a drink, fun fact. We're making rules as we go. So anyways, TMZ aka MZ. They have the stare footage, so basically she's yelling at him, but then he straight up punches her in the face like a full like swing like Mike Tyson swing to his wife, and Rollins goes, well that changes everything, Paul, right, dumb bitch. Rollin's is like casey cut that. So AJ is being walked into the precinct. Paul is walking behind him, and they're all flanked by tons of detectives on either side. Benson's like, I'm so sorry, this is so public. There are no shield laws for domestic violence victims. She says, I'm not a victim. She walks off after Ben after giving Benson a dirty look, and then he's got Elizabeth Marvel. So, honey has got one of the top lawyers. I would say, this is this is a top a turn.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so she's in the building.
Speaker 1: She has great skin, half up, half down, hairdoo, just rich, powerful and incredible, great choice. Benson lets them know they will be talked to separately. He of course does not like that, but Rita Calhoun aka Elizabeth Marvel, she's like, don't worry, You'll both have counsel, and she sends her cole counsel to go in with the wife and they all get to work legal work. His version of events is women flirt with him and he tries to be nice and that sets off his wife, Paula, so she like flipped out, started screaming, and so he had to take her out of the party, and so that was annoying to him. And then in the nicer room, that's where Paula is sitting, and she's like, listen, the girls can talk to him, but they need to know that he's mine, and that she got loud and made aj angry because she embarrassed him in front of really important people and that can't happen. He says that she was stumbling and could have hurt herself, so I had to stop her, and Benson's like, with your fist.
Speaker 2: He blames being drunk.
Speaker 1: Finn only asks how many drinks and she is a good lawyer, and she shuts that down immediately.
Speaker 2: So then Paula says, he.
Speaker 1: Was just trying to protect me, and then they kind of like scream, like by punching you in the face. The defense in this case is the craziest I think we've ever This is like crazier than affluenza. Their whole thing, this whole episode, is that he was just trying to protect her by punching her. Yeah, like the whole episode. It's so twisted. So then the lawyer's like, whoa, whoa, whoa why the animosity and Rollins and Tomorrow are like, we're just trying to understand this, and she's pleading, like we want to put this behind us, leave us alone, and that's it, but we can't put it behind us. The videos are out, Benson and Barbara meet up in a spy room and she fills him in and she's like, they're saying it's chill, but that was assault. And Barbara agrees and hopes that the footage is like enough evidence that they won't want to go to trial, and Benson's like, no way, there's no settling with this guy, like he's a bad dude, and Barbara goes, no, this is going to be really hard.
Speaker 2: You don't understand.
Speaker 1: Everyone loves him, his wife supports him, and the jury's going to be obsessed with him.
Speaker 2: He's a hero. And Benson goes, you're right, let him go.
Speaker 1: No problems here, ha, And he's like okay, and the defense like I just went off and I'm going to go off like this whole episode. Elizabeth Marvel's like, my client was just defending himself. And he agrees to anger management and AA and whatever it takes, and Marba's like that's not enough.
Speaker 2: I want a CELT three ninety days.
Speaker 1: She's like assault three, no jail time, but two hundred hours of community service, and Benson's like that's not enough for me, and she wants more than him picking up garbage with a pointy stick. And she's like, okay, well he's already been suspended by his network. And it's like, yeah, that's you're not a You punched your wife in the face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: Understand, Like, why would someone want to work with you when you're a person that punches your wife in the face.
Speaker 2: It's like courser fired.
Speaker 1: I'm not trying to be dramatic, but it's like you could kill her, like one punch from somebody so strong, like you could kill someone, Like, yeah, it's the conair rule. A guy when I was in college. When I was in college, a freshman got punched one time in the face during orientation, fell back on the pavement in a certain way, went into a coma and died. One punch And did the other student go to prison? It wasn't an't It was an employee. So I don't know what happened, honestly, but we did a memorial bench for him and everything, but it was like so sad. It was like his second day of college and it was like one punch. You know, the head is very precious. You can't fuck with your head.
Speaker 2: You know now, and they bring it up in this episode.
Speaker 1: But it's also like, you know about head injuries you play football. Yeah, it's all about like concussions and all of that. So it's like even more you could have known, you could have fucked her up. Yeah, And honestly, Age is like, you know what, She's gonna have my back, so I don't fucking go Look like, let's go to trial. I don't care. Everyone has my back. So we're in court and he pleads not guilty. Obviously, Barbara wants to remand Paula is really upset in the stands and Calhounton gets her way and he gets to go home with only twenty thousand dollars bail. He smiles at Paula, so you know, Paula looks really happy about this. She does little prayer hands at him, and then Benson walks into the bathroom and Paula's in there, and these are some very classy court bathrooms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they look nice.
Speaker 1: They look very nice, because the only other time I remember, well, no, there's a lot of bathroom moments. But I'm thinking of Counselor Chinatown episode with Margaret Show and the girl jumping out the bathroom.
Speaker 2: And that bathroom knop off his sheet.
Speaker 1: No, not a chic bathroom, so Benson asks to chat. Paula is fixing up her makeup in the mirror and goes, why it's too late for an apology? Okay for what you've done to my family? Junior is being harassed at school. AJ's career is over, Benson is done playing games. She's like, I've been doing this for a long time, and I've seen a lot of men like AJ. And she goes, there's only one AJ, best believe, and Benson's like, I get it. I'm sure there are times where he makes you feel incredibly special, but that doesn't make up for the times where he puts his hands on you. And Paula breaks and says, he slipped. Do you know what it's like to have the whole world watching us at our worst moment? And Benson's like, look me in the eye and tell me this has only happened once, and I'll believe you.
Speaker 2: Megan can't do it.
Speaker 1: Benson says it will happen again, and She's like why because a strong black man can't control himself, you know, And she says, I'm concerned about you and your son's safety. I'm not concerned with the public perception of black men. And Paula says, well, we need each other and we will be living as a family. Calhoun walks in and goes, I assume this small talk because you know, you should not be talking to my client without her counsel. Benson stands in silence. Heja is giving a press conference, and look who we have here, a priest, a father standing behind a woman beater for the sake of family. Leslie Odom Junior is here and they've been praying and working through it spiritually.
Speaker 2: And then Paula takes the mic.
Speaker 1: And wants to set the record straight, and she goes, there are people who are invested in me playing the victim here and that's not going to happen. And she takes full responsibility for provoking the unfortunate events of six weeks ago, which is just like, even if she feels that way, it's like you, I don't know, don't send that message to people that you that you provoke physical violence, that there's anything you can say that can come out of your mouth that deserves physical violence.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, I notice here that it's November and the met Gala is actually in May, so.
Speaker 2: You know they like calendar guys, we know what's up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So she says they're working on their issues together, and she cries and asks for privacy, and then she gives a stink eye to Benson and then oh my god, it's fucking Hodah. And who's Hodah's Who's what's the George Bush daughter's name?
Speaker 2: Jenna Hager? Yeah, he's Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Hodah and Jenna have a show together, And you know, I was very much like, fuck this nepo bitch, Like, why does she even have a job? WHI I was she doing the Today Show? The clips of them show up on my Explore page and on YouTube shorts and guess what. I listen to every single one, every single one. I love I love them, I really love them.
Speaker 2: I can't get enough.
Speaker 1: So it's a split screen and on the news is Hoda and she's talking to the couple who's dressed very Connecticut and they give a little puff piece interview and they call the media gutter press, and it's like, you're also in the media right now though, So yeah, but the Today Show, the fourth hour of the Today Show with Hoda.
Speaker 2: That's literally where they tell you how to throw a.
Speaker 1: Barbecue, and like, what Halloween costumes are hot this fall? Like no, I did like the fourth hour of the local news, the WGN News in Chicago, and I had so much fun with the women and the anger. I go, this is the best news show ever, and they go, I think our real news would be really offended that.
Speaker 2: You said that. I was like, you bitches are the best. Fuck the real news.
Speaker 1: Tell me where to get a fucking beer cheese in Chicago, babes all right? And I think I was recording on a Friday, so it was like they had someone making cocktails and all of us had cocktails in our drinks. There's like a bartender on set, and that's.
Speaker 2: A fourth hour.
Speaker 1: Like the third hour is actually like barbecuing Halloween costume, and the fourth hour is like bottom's up, Like it's just I'm getting drunk.
Speaker 2: It started with holding Kathy Lee, Oh my god, So you know, so Hoda is here.
Speaker 1: I'm obsessed, and so I mean, how many more times can I say Hoda?
Speaker 2: But they talk about commitment.
Speaker 1: And they're in this marriage for the long haul, and Benson's holding Noah furious watching this and bitching to Barba on the phone, who's equally as mad, and oh my god, they're about to announce news. AJ propose. So they haven't been married, which is wild. They live like such a domesticated life. I'd never assumed that. And they have like an eight year old, so they've been together for a long time, a long time. But maybe he was waiting right for this moment. And he so you proposed with a fifteen carot and it's the same as his retire jersey number fifteen. And they're getting married later that day. So this is obviously a ploy for the courtroom and about like testifying and stuff.
Speaker 2: Barba is in shock by this.
Speaker 1: We open back up in court and we have a specialist who's gonna explain why AJ's fists are stronger than just an hour person. So and Rudnick's actually on the stand, so and he's a little get out with this. He's like, you know, talking about own density and stuff, and I'm like, I don't know. This is a little touchy touchy. So they show the video of the punch on the flat screen and like the force of the flow, using the classic algorithm of weight and muscle mass, it hit at more than seven hundred pounds per square inch, which is four times that of an average couch potato could He says he could have killed her, but she was lucky, and that's an objection and the jury will disregard that. And now it's time for every direction. And she straight up is like, you're a morgaman. You don't know about living people, do you, you little fucking creep. And he's you know, it's true, and it's like the classic, like you didn't even look at Paula. You don't know Paula. You're basing all of this on a grainy video and math, and you know. And she looks fine, and Aj is very smug and he knows he has like such a good lawyer. And now it's Benson on the stand. We're really going through these quick and she's like, it's wild that Paula continues to say it's her fault. And it's not uncommon. And it's also not uncommon, so refuse to testify. Barbara asks why, and she gives, like some reasons. You know, a lot of times victims of domestic violence are financially dependent on their abuser, or they're scared of violent retribution and at most at risk when they go against their abuser to try to leave.
Speaker 2: And just because they're in denial of.
Speaker 1: Their abuse doesn't mean their abuse didn't happen or like that it won't worsen. And we get a shot of Paula like looking down, embarrassed, and we get a Calhoun cross come in right at you. She goes, did missus Martin express fear of her husband to you? And so, yeah, the last name changed because they just got married. She was Bryant in the beginning of the episode. If you call Martin, oh now, yeah, this is so strategic. And so did missus Martin express fear of her husband to you?
Speaker 2: Nope?
Speaker 1: So maybe she's not testifying and married him because she loves him and that's that. And Benson's like, well, that's not what the video showed. And she's like, come on, my client regrets it. What more do you want? And Benson's like, yeah, I've seen that before, regret and remorse and I'm not impressed by that. So, I mean, this is Benson's about to be in deep shit. So she says she doesn't care about anger management, and then the defense attorney's like, but tomorrow a cop in your squad got to do anger management, so it's good enough for you and your department, but not for you know, this player, and that's why you pay her the big bucks. Barbara tries to object, but it's fucking denied. But Benson is stuck. And but also she's like, my dude lost his temper with a horrific child abuse her, not his wife. Yeah, but she's like no, But the point is that anger management is sufficient enough for a violent cop to get his gun back, but not sufficient to rehabilitate AJ Martin, a man without a speeding ticket. Nice double standard, but also I hate where it's like, we couldn't hurt a fly no tickets, Those yeahs do not like.
Speaker 2: Anything ticket have to do with yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: I like hate that false equivalen sees so fucking much. I also don't know if I used false equivalency correctly. So anyways, so okay, cool, So nice double standard and AJ is now more smug than ever and Benson stares right back at him, and we cut to other players responding to questions about AJ on a TV screen at a bar, and Rollins is there, drinking and loosening up her shirt.
Speaker 2: Baby, is tipsy.
Speaker 1: Amorrow joins and orders what she's having, and she actually gets a refill, but neat this time no Ice Rollins asks Tomorrow how he's doing since court was very rough and Tomorrow is actually chill. He's like, whatever, you know, Rita was just doing her job, and then Rollins continues, yeah, but you know she has a point, and Tomorrow's confused, Really, what's the point, and she's like, it's a private matter. This is between Paula and aj and you're all overreaching taking this to court. And he's like, he hit her, that's it. But they cheers and Rollins is now hold on a second, so we get to decide what's best for her. That's infantilizing. She believe they're making her a victim all over again, and he says slow down, and she doesn't like him counting her drinks and she smiles at him and then calls him like Saint Nick, the savior of damaged women. And he's like, I just don't think men have the right to hit a woman, and she says, that's right, but some of us don't need to be saved, like your wife, who doesn't need to be saved, right, And She's like, but you've wanted to hit her, admit it. He's not into this line of questioning, and she's leaning into him, like you know you want to hit your wife. I know it, and he's like, no, I don't, and she starts poking and shoving him and like, doesn't it get to you?
Speaker 2: Come on? Tell us?
Speaker 1: And then she shoves him harder and he's like, oh, are you jealous of Maria? What's your problem? And she hits him harder and says, we've seen you yell and go off at your wife. Just say it, admit it you want to hit her? And Rollin says it's wait what, No, she's just being so like aggressive. Oh yes she is. She's fucking wasted, and then hits him super hard and says I don't want to be a victim, and he finally shoves her off.
Speaker 2: A chair goes flying.
Speaker 1: He pushes his drink off the bar and it flies, and he throws cash onto the bar and says, I'm gonna do what AJ Martin should have done and walk away. He grabs another drink off the bar and walks away. Everyone at the bar is obviously staring at them. So this is like Rollins is like doing a little experiment, like I bet I can piss a man off enough to hit me, Like, I'll show you how easy it is for a man that like to hit a woman, Like so weird. Well it is, and we know about her dad and mom and all of it. And yeah, you know, Rollins has had a lot of growth, you know, now she's a professor. But yeah, well and I look this up. This is like past them fucking. They fucked in season fifteen. Like in the episode at the end of season fifteen, he comes.
Speaker 2: Out of her shower or whatever.
Speaker 1: So I think they're done at this point, but maybe still not, who knows. Okay, So now we're back and it's like we're watching another TV screen of a boss man talking about his place of employment and supporting him and not being able to work with him anymore. And Finn in a bunch of uniform cops watch this on TV and the league is sending a message there is never excuse for domestic violence. Rollins is like, God, poor fucking Paula. This video keeps getting played over and over again, and he's like, I agree with you, but he did hit her. And Rollins in a red golf style Blazer says, yeah, but you can't save someone that doesn't want to be saved, and Finn little office goss. That brings up Nick and she's like, Nick needs to stop thinking he can save the whole world. And Finn laughs and then gives some facts two things he has learned at fifteen years at SVU. One you can't take this job home with you. Two And you can't take anyone from this job home with you. Okay, Ice cold back, Ice cold facts for Rollins. She hears him, and then back in Core, the reverends on the stand Leslie Odom Junior, okay, and he's like, listen, they grew up this way and it's learned behavior and they're trying to change.
Speaker 2: He's team marriage and.
Speaker 1: That's you know, it's loving, and it's Christian and it's a marriage of equals. And Barbara's sitting, so you know, he's feeling cocky and he's about to do some theater when Barbara starts the questions while he's still seated. We're about to have a fucking show. And he goes to the father, why don't I remember his priest's name? But whatever, Leslie, Priest, Leslie. He's like, so it's a marriage of equals, and the priest goes yeah, and he's like even though he out earns her by one hundred times, and Barbara's proving like you're acting like you know these people, but you only know them at church. You don't know them at home or when they're drinking, or how he actually acts towards his wife. You only know church aj and then a bombshell, this motherfucker has not watched the video.
Speaker 2: Leslie Odom Junior's priest character.
Speaker 1: Is not watched the video, so I cannot believe this motherfucker has opinions without watching the scene.
Speaker 2: It Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Just it is just so funny, like when the people that love religion message us being like you're too hard on religion. And then it's like, I know this is a fictional priest, but like defending an abuser over women's safety, like everything over women's safety, Like a woman has to sacrifice her fray face, her brain, her whole life, everything to keep a marriage together. It's so sick. I fucking hate the world. Whatever AG's on the stand, he goes, I love my life, she's my wife. Whatever, No, I love my wife. She's my life. Okay, the mother of my son. I will always regret that night. He says, he didn't intend to do it. She's like, listen, that video is damning and the prosecution is going to use it against you, and like, why did you decide to take the stamp? And he says, well, Paula's had to sit in the courtroom every day. She's filled with so much humility and you know, admiration and gratitude. And if she is brave enough to sit here, I can be brave enough to stand up here and take responsibility and teach my son what it is to be a man. And barbis like, I said, never good. So Barbara goes, and you're teaching your son to tell the truth. He goes, yeah, I do. But night of the incident, you said that your wife slipped and fell. That's not true. He goes, yeah, I admitted I lied, and he knows that it was wrong. And so then Barbara brings up the video. He's like, you've been here saying that you did not deliberately try to hurt your wife, and he is lying because obviously we have video evidence.
Speaker 2: But this is so Ramona Singer.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite moments, do you know this from Housewives where a woman comes up to Ramona at this party and is talking about Ramona's birthday and she's like, oh, in Sonya's coming and Ramona goes, no, don't invite Sonya. And then so Sonya was purposely not invited because Ramona didn't want to like, you know, mix with her upper class friends or whatever, even though so you know, Sonya has a townhouse okay at the time. And so then we're at the reunion and they're like, I mean, Sonya's your friend, she's your ride or I like, why did you not want her at the party? And Ramona like, I never said that. So they're like, well, let's play the video, and then they all watch the video of her like saying to the women, don't invite Sonia. And then she's still denying it, like heaven to watch video evidence of you doing something and still continue to deny it is a level of delusion I would love to reach.
Speaker 2: I would love to be that crazy. So anyways, he's.
Speaker 1: Lying with video evidence of him just cold cocking his fucking wife and going I didn't do it. It's so Ramona singer and anyone please find the video of that fucking bitch. It's like, Sonia is your best friend, you demand sharing beds on vacation together, and then you didn't want to invite her to your birthday.
Speaker 2: She's scum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he says he put up his hand to stop her. Again, we have the video. So then it's also like, okay, if you didn't intend to hurt her, then then why didn't you call nine one one? And he's like, oh, because she came too. And Barbara's like no, like, you know all about concussions. You're in football. Even knock out for a little bit is bad. Why didn't you take her for medical attention? He's like, well, I just made a judgment call and Barbara's like, okay, cool, So your idea was punch your wife, drag her unconscious body across a garage, and then get out of there, and he says how dare you? And then Calhoun tries to subject and the judge finally is like stop trying to object. He's doing a cross You need to chill the fuck out. I'm allowing this. So then he's like did you love your wife here? And shows pieces of the video and then surprise, Paula Martin is now going to testify, and Barbara's annoyed because she sat there the whole trial. But the judge is like, eh, they lived together, it's fine, Like he could have talked about the trial at home, Like it doesn't matter if she was here at home. She needs to go in this. Benson and Barbara do a quick walk and talk. She's just like trying to prep him, like this is everything I know. Let's do this. So then she's on the stand and it's quick, right, She's like, I was drunk, you know. She's like, I know my husband loves me. That's the truth. And she's also denies that it was a punch. She's like, this is a private moment between two passionate people and that she is not scared of him.
Speaker 2: And she goes, you don't know him. I do.
Speaker 1: He's a gentle good man. He doesn't deserve this or family doesn't deserve this. And Barbara again sitting he's sitting. He says, thank you for being here. He says this must be difficult for you, and she says I'm fine, and he's like, are you always fine? Always good and fine in the Martin House and she says it is and he asks some questions. She was twenty one when she met him, and he was thirty five at the end of his playing career, and she never had any other relationships that were significant until him. And it's like, okay, well, where is this going? And he's like, I bet you know it moved fast and you moved in within months and then immediately had a baby. And you know, you were a reporter for the local news and you gave that up, and she and how many friends do you have? And she's like, I have my sister and other players' wives and he goes, okay, when was the last time you hung out with a male friend or just a girlfriend, or even the sister or even your sister without AJ being there? And then he goes, is it fair to say your life revolves around AJ and your son? And she goes, yeah, and I'm fucking proud of that and happy about it. And he's like, even when he's yelling at you, and she says, he doesn't yell at me, and he goes, does he yell at your son? And music plays and she says, he doesn't yell. He raises his voice because he wants him to behave because he loves his son. Barbara goes, oh, really like the way he loves you? Obviously objection. There's a rephrase when Aj raises his voice at Junior, how does it make you feel?
Speaker 2: And she goes, what does it matter?
Speaker 1: And missus Martin, missus Martin, when you see the look on your son's face, how does it make you feel? And she's shaking her head. No, you don't know what's right for me. He says, I know it's not healthy to be in an abusive relationship. She snaps a bit, don't you lecture me. I'm not leaving him. I don't care what any of you have to say, and he catches her, like any of us? So you've heard this before? How many people have brought this up to you? And then he asks if she notices how she looks at her husband Before answering the question, He continues to walk closer to her in monologue, and she looks at Aj and Barba's like, don't look at him. He can't answer for you. You need to answer for yourself. She says, I don't want to lose him, and I don't want to lose my family. She starts to cry. She goes, why is that wrong? She goes, what gives you the right? And then she says, just leave us be please. She leans back, shaking her head. Aj is in thought, but I'm not sure what he's thinking. And then it's immediately time for closing arguments, and Calhoun is like, you know, I feel sorry for the DA's office. You know they have to be politically correct. This is just a misunderstanding a private matter. This is not a case, and if you convict him, you're tearing a family apart. Barbara's closing arguments is you saw the evidence. We know as a society we have evolved beyond the idea that women are property and that what they feel and what they experience doesn't matter. And by knocking out Paula, he is saying that she doesn't matter, disregard for her safety and life. She loves him, has a kid with him, and convicting him might not be what she wants. But to not convict him is wrong and sends a message that it's okay to be a bully in your own home. This is not okay. We cannot stand by and say it's acceptable to look the other way. Physical violence against other human beings is a crime, I guess, But not when it's your wife, Like how yeah, that is true, Like if you can't just beat the shit out of random people like you if you if you just punched a dude in a stairwell like that, that you would go to self. Yeah, Like it is true, Like because it's your wife, suddenly there's more nuance and it's a private matter, like you know, like that's why marriage is and not anti femine. I mean marriage is cool, Like I want to be married, but it is like I understand why people are morally against it. It never benefits women and it's this idea. So it's like, if he just punched a random woman in a stairwell, he would be going to jail, but marriage gives him the cloak of it being okay.
Speaker 2: Well it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Is I feel like they've changed laws now because now you can go it's a it's a at least in California, if you punch, if you have an assault of someone that you're in a romantic relationship with, it's a stronger charge than someone that is a stranger.
Speaker 2: It's a felony.
Speaker 1: Because they've tried to they've tried to toughen up domestic violence laws.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, but it is just such a like cloak where it's like, yeah, well I could beat the shit out of you, and now you can't even testify against me. Like it is cued not for a woman, like marriage is not for a woman. Yeah, the way it's set up in any capacity, so you know what's going to happen. We're back in this kitchen fridge area under the stairs.
Speaker 2: It all began.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're having a literal water cooler moment.
Speaker 2: There is a water cooler right next.
Speaker 1: To them, and you know, they do a little hey hey back and forth, and then Tomorrow runs to live and asks about Barbara. He's nervous and the jury is questioning now if the video was doctored, Rollins is like, yep, they're looking for a reason to acquit. They know this feels wrong, then don't work at SVU, Like that's what's so shocked, Like we need someone to obviously always argue, so we learn about the other side and learn more about why things are the way they are. But like, it is just so weird that you would join SVU when you're so anti Yeah that this is bad. Benson is like sending everyone home. Does that feels right to you like a boy growing up in fear and Amanda thinks that Aj has learned his lesson, and Benson goes, well, I don't. So it's court time. There is a verdict, the charge of reckless endangerment. We find the defendant guilty.
Speaker 2: Shock.
Speaker 1: He's shocked, Calhoun shocked. He's heading to fucking rikers. Paula cries and tries to get AJ's attention, and she can't get it. He just walks off. He doesn't even acknowledge her. That is important, Like that has to be for a reason. She's like crying, going Ajajaj, and he won't even look at her.
Speaker 2: He just walks us.
Speaker 1: It's her fault, Like in this guy's fucking mind, you didn't tap dance well enough on the stand, like you didn't get me out of this. This is your fault for being drunk and sassing me and me hitting you like and provoking me to hit you. That's what's going on in this guy's head.
Speaker 2: Benson stands up.
Speaker 1: Her family rallies around Paula, hugging her and rubbing her back, and Barbara and Benson talk, but I'm sure the sisters are like fuck, get out of it, Like fuck a j Barbara and Benson talking the hallway, and he'll get the minimum.
Speaker 2: Of two years.
Speaker 1: Paula, I mean, just the reason it's shocking is because NFL players never They only go to jail if they fuck with dogs, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You can fucking beat anyone you want in the league.
Speaker 1: Paula and the reverend and like the whole family clocks Benson and Barba, and she walks over to them and goes, I hope you're happy. I lost my husband and my son lost his father. And Benson says, you deserve better than that, and so does your son. And then she goes, what do you know about it? She screams this. She goes, I was happy and fine and we were making it work and it's my choice, and you took that away. You think aj was beating me up? What do you think you did? And she storms off. Benson does feel bad, but Barbara says, we did the right thing, and she says, I know, and that's.
Speaker 2: Dick wolf baby, damn. Teach us some stuff, Kara, A tough one, A tough one.
Speaker 1: Yes, please listen to this ad from our sponsors. It will be right back with more real life and We're back, so they literally mentioned the case in this episode. This is obviously based on Ray Rice. This was like a huge scandal that hit the internet in twenty fourteen. But Ray Rice is Ray mel Maurice Rice aka Ray Rice, an NFL football player. He was a running back for the Baltimore Ravens for six seasons, including one were they won Super Bowl. He was in the Pro Bowl a bunch of times, just like this guy that Aj Martin in the episode. And he was known for his community service, Like in twenty twelve, he was voted Baltimore's most charitable person.
Speaker 2: He's like a big figure in Baltimore.
Speaker 1: He was a home an advocate for homelessness, not for homelessness, but for people experiencing homelessness. He was involved in Baltimore's Make a Wish Foundation, spoke out about cyberbullying, like he had a lot of causes. Twenty fourteen, it was the off season. Ray Rice was twenty seven years old, so young, like because in this one, this guy's.
Speaker 2: Like forty something.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying, I'm just saying this guy was young and like had been in like had been famous since he was twenty one. On February fifteenth, Rice and his fiance Janey Palmer had been drinking heavily aginly to that, like he might have been just famous since he was twenty one, but athletes that are this talented, like he was being catered to college child Yeah yeah yeah and before yeah, like when you're this good, like everyone is upset with you from a very young age.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 1: And he actually grew up in New Rochelle, New York, which is not far from where I grew up. It's in Westchester County, like less than an hour outside of New York City.
Speaker 2: And I also want to.
Speaker 1: Say that they are borrowing a little bit in this episode from the Beyonce Solange elevator thing and with jay Z, because that took place also in twenty fourteen after the Met Gala, But this was obviously different and there was no like jay Z did not hit anyone in that elevator. But this was in real life. They were not a met Ball. They were at the Revel Casino in Atlantic City. They got into an argument. Rice follows Palmer into the elevator. They scream at one another, and then supposedly she spit in his face and then he punches her and honestly, like, it's an extremely shocking video. I watched it back in twenty fourteen and I kind of forgot, but I watched it again for this and it's it's just as shocking as the one in the episode, Like he fucking hits her so hard and she's knocked out, and then she hits her head on the railing in the elevator, and then he drags her out of the elevator like lifeless. And what's so shocking in the video too, is like the way he drags her out, like he eventually just kind of drops her with her legs still between where the doors would close, and he's just standing there. He's not like down on his knees, like, oh my god, are you okay? Like come to shit, I took this too far. He's just standing there like are you done being unconscious yet? Like the video goes on for a long time because it's security footage from an elevator, and she eventually comes to. He's not helping her up, he's not squatting down to her level to see if she's okay. He's just sitting there while she comes to. Someone else appears in the video it's not a cop like in this episode, but it's somebody I don't really know who it is in the video, but Ray was arrested and charged with assaults, and you know it was a huge thing, like because on the nineteenth. This happened on the fifteenth, four days later. So in this episode it's six weeks later, six weeks go by.
Speaker 2: This is four days later.
Speaker 1: TMZ gets this out and everyone's fucking watching this video and it's still up. And apparently Janey says she's never watched it, much like the priests in this episode, she's never watched it. But this one article I was reading that I'll link to in my sources said they talked to a sports psychologist who has worked with a lot of pro athletes who said, quote, if your whole life you're trained to be aggressive, other things tend to come with that.
Speaker 2: Their job is to be aggressive.
Speaker 1: So that's like what a lot of sports psychologists were saying about, like where that behavior came from.
Speaker 2: Because this guy, like so when does that stop? That's the excuse.
Speaker 1: It's like Benson where it's like, oh, you're right, not a problem, Yeah, sure, go off? Like that means why are all the other athletes. Not doing that means everyone in the military, like every aggressive job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then be anyone you want up. No, I know.
Speaker 1: But this guy is also saying, like Ray Rice's thing was like look at my look at my record, Like I don't have a single blemish on my record, Like this is the one moment in my life. And it's like, yeah, but if this moment in your life hadn't been caught on tape, who's to say it wouldn't have kept going.
Speaker 2: So anyway, the raven You're right, like he wasn't even worried.
Speaker 1: It was that's because what if she died, what if she d spooky about it. She's lying there lifelessly. You're not on the ground, You're not like, babe, babe, are you okay? Like you're just standing there like it's it's it's a little spooky. But like the Ravens called his arrest quote unquote a serious matter.
Speaker 2: He was suspended indefinitely.
Speaker 1: On March twenty seventh of twenty fourteen, a grand jury indicted Rice on third degree aggravated assault, which would have had a possible jail sentence of three to five years and a fine a fifteen k but the next day, which was six weeks after the incident. The day after he was indicted, they got married, So they hadn't been married, and so much like in this episode, they got married. I'm sorry the grand jury in Diamond must have been twenty fifteen, right, because this didn't happen until twenty fourteen. So I said the year wrong on that last thing. But Rice was suspended from these first two games. The criminal charges were eventually dropped because Rice agreed to undergo court supervised counseling. On September eighth of that year, he was released from the Ravens. He actually appealed his suspension on the grounds that he was suspended twice for the same offense, which is a violation of NFL rules, And on the twenty eighth of November of that year, twenty fourteen, it was announced that he won his appeal to be reinstated to the NFL, and he was reinstated, and on January fifteenth of twenty fifteen, he and the Ravens settled a lawsuit. He sued them for about three and a half million dollars in back pay that he said he would have earned in those final fifteen weeks after he had done his two game suspension so in twenty so at this point he's won three and a half million dollars and he's reinstated to the NFL. It's twenty sixteen. He tells everybody, hire me. I'm a free agent, like, I'll give all of my season salary to domestic violence ch charities if you sign me. No one signed him, and in twenty eighteen he announced that his football career was over. He never played professionally ever again. So after that, it's kind of hard to see what he's been doing. He became a motivational speaker. He talks to high school students and college athletes by speaking out about domestic violence, using his thing as a cautionary tale. In twenty eighteen, he went on CBS This Morning with Janey and said he hates the person he sees in that video. He said, quote, I'll be the first one to say it. I don't have to retire to tell you I'm done with football. The pressure I was under of being a star, that was the person I hated the most, and he just kept He says in this interview.
Speaker 2: A bunch of times, I hate the guy.
Speaker 1: I hate that guy in that video he says he doesn't need a second chance. He already got it when a Jina agreed to marry him. It's really hard because sometimes these articles say twenty twenty two, but they were written in twenty eighteen. They've just been updated with a new date. So they have a daughter named Raven. It's hard for me to figure out how old she is. He told Men's Journal, I got so.
Speaker 2: Weird, Like you played on the Ravens and then you named your daughter Raven. Yeah, Raven with a y r, a y v ian. No, I see, but like, yeah, didn't that that's weird. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: But he's so he's really big into Baltimore, like there were his team, Like he was a big person in Baltimore's I don't know. He said, I got publicly crucified and I deserved it to Men's Journal. And then I mean Janey like stood by his side the whole time. I'm trying to find out if she ever, like had a career. She ended up going to college down in Baltimore to Townsend to be near him when he was playing for the Ravens.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if she's if she works.
Speaker 1: I literally tried to find stuff about her, but she wrote in an Instagram post, if your intentions were to hurt us, embarrass us, make us feel alone, take all happiness away. You've succeeded on so many levels. Just know we will continue to grow and show the world what real love is. Raven's Nation, we love you. So obviously they're very into the Ravens somehow, because this is like a post about your family and a very serious domestic violence thing to happen, and at the end you're like hashtags big ups for Raven's Nation.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit weird.
Speaker 1: But apparently he's moved to Stanford, Connecticut, which is a city I used to live in as a child and is very close to where I grew up, and he as of twenty seventeen, I was reading something that he was coaching at his old high school in New Rochelle High School. But it's really hard to see what he's up to, Like right now, I did see that. Let me see one's the one thing because I saw Jane Is on Instagram.
Speaker 2: I can't tell.
Speaker 1: Jane Rice public figure thirty eight point five thousand followers owners of QTS and kob boutique just can't tell if this is her. It is her, It is her. Yeah, that's her. So they got pictures of sports up here. It looks like they're thriving. I don't know. I don't know what's going on with the fam. He's not maybe it is very much. It's an interesting perspective to have an abuser like do the you know, do the motivational speaking and be like, don't be like me, but yeahing about it feels off to me too, for do you act like the vict like he's saying everything right in everything that you just explained, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, like he really is.
Speaker 1: He's not like the guy in the episode who's kind of like this was a private moment. I mean, he's like, that was the worst moment of my life. I did a horrible thing, like the fame, and I don't like maybe he was, I mean, who knows. Maybe he was like on steroids. Don't those make you aggressive? Like who knows? But now it's like he there's photos of them all over her instagram of like love you. She's not really on it in the past two years. I'll say that maybe they're having problems, but their kids are on there, the kid and it looks like she's playing sports and it's cute, but.
Speaker 2: It is wild because I bet he like, you know, he's gonna be real rich.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like I don't know, I don't know what he's doing and I don't know what you but that should be the president. That should be the president. If you hit a woman, you lose everything? Like why is it like, oh, but what about his future? Why can't the standard be if you hit a woman, you lose everything. That's it, that's the rule. Yeah, something I was, why do we have to have leeway for these men? I don't get it?
Speaker 2: Well, I was.
Speaker 1: Reading too that the Ray Rice case like sort of like it did kind of make the NFL a lot more reactionary about like domestic violence stuff because there's been other obviously other players that have been in this situation and they've been like, well, we're not going to make the same mistake we made with Ray Rice, because I think they didn't. People didn't feel like he got enough of a punishment or whatever. But like so they're harder on other people. I guess when this happens now, But.
Speaker 2: That's the story.
Speaker 1: In case you weren't around in twenty fourteen when it was going on it's not really. Sometimes I research these things and I'm like, oh, there's so much more.
Speaker 2: I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, the thing that he just says is like, I have no I have, There's nothing on my record I have, Like my wife if I was, if I was a serial abuser, my wife would have left.
Speaker 2: I mean, people say that all the time. That's not true, but I don't know. So that's that.
Speaker 1: But we have an amazing interview that's going to cleanse the palette right now. So everybody sit tight, guys, our guest today, I just want to reiterate, as we have been doing that this interview was recorded prior to the SAG strike, so no one is breaking any rules.
Speaker 2: This was pre recorded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that, And without further ado, our guest today, Oh truly Booked and blessed, has starred in some of the most popular TV shows of all time.
Speaker 2: He was a series.
Speaker 1: Regular on the Wire on The Walking Dead. He can also recently be seen on The Orville. But you know him today as former professional football player and wife abuser AJ Martin. Please enjoy our convo with the very talented Chad L.
Speaker 2: Coleman.
Speaker 1: Hi, Chad, where are you right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I'm at the Weston in.
Speaker 2: La in La Okay, cool? Where are you based? Are you?
Speaker 3: Do?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 2: You don't live in.
Speaker 4: La not now, I'm in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we love Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Well, it looks like Law and Order original recipe was like one of your first gigs, Like it's at the very beginning of your IMDb. Was that like one of your first TV things that you did?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, so then you got you got into the Dick Wolf universe.
Speaker 2: In the mid nineties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Then you were on another episode of SBU called Rotten where you played a prison warden you know three yes, So then what got you back for this episode where they were like we love that prison warden, let's bring him in for this or like did you audition or what was the deal?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, you know at that point in time, I was working on the on the Walking Dead and they were already familiar with my work, and I thought that I would be great for that role, the kind of Ray Rice's character. Yeah, the producers just came to me and said, hey, man, this is what we're trying to take on.
Speaker 3: You know, this is the subject matter.
Speaker 4: And we want somebody that people will feel sympathetic towards and just not write them off. Is you know the domestic violence guy one on one, I hate him, you know, and just shut him down. So they wanted someone that could you know, they evoke empathy from people and so so something that people would have to wrestle with, you know. And then you know when you said Megan Good is going to play your wife? You know that part?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no problem, no problem.
Speaker 1: So you're in you know, Wire, Walking Dead kind of cults culty type beloved shows. Do you know what someone's about to like bother you on the street, like by looking at them, They're like, oh, you're a Walking Dead person.
Speaker 2: You're you're about to bring up the wire?
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I wish it was that easy to peg. You know, it's really not. I feel like it's a lot of crossover. I would I would be generalizing.
Speaker 3: I can't tell. I can't tell you get the most of course.
Speaker 4: The Walking Dead. The volume is that you know, like sheer volume alone. But you know the Wire is that that you know was not a critical hit. You know that just I mean it was a critical hit, but was not you know, a mass appeal. It's grown into you know, having a mass appeal because of the substance of the show and the way it was done, and that the appreciation for the artistry of it. But you know, The Walking Dead was a massive hit, you know, right, so so Sheer numbers alone, it's going to be The Walking Dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, okay, we'll talk.
Speaker 1: So you knew it was ray Rice this SVW part. And obviously it's like a sensitive topic at SVU. Did you have any hesitation or any thoughts, any research going into.
Speaker 4: It, you know, initial residence, reticent about playing a domestic violence guy, you know, but at the same time, understanding that we're talking, it's a subject matter. Somebody's got to play the role in order for us to have a deeper conversation, you know, So it's relevant from that standpoint that you know, I am hugely, obviously hugely against domestic violence and a man putting hand on a woman.
Speaker 1: That would be a twist, that would be a wild twist in this interview if if you were proud.
Speaker 3: If.
Speaker 4: Well, come to find out, Uh, it's such, it's such a it's a subject matter to me that let's address it. Let's always address it. Let's let's keep it on the front burner and uh, you know, in no way, shape perform should we be burying this and you see it. It's obviously it's relevant at all times to see what's going on in media right now with.
Speaker 3: A particular high profile actor.
Speaker 4: You know, it's real, it's a thousands real, it's in our communities, families.
Speaker 3: Uh. So I did.
Speaker 4: And you know, I'm an advocate for love Life Now, an organization in Boston that's uh you know, uh, an advocate against domestic violence.
Speaker 3: And so I was working with her, and you know, I can look at my childhood, my.
Speaker 4: Father, you know, this stuff was huge, and the narrative around that and what he did to my mom, that stuff was real. So I always want to be an advocate for that. And then I wanted to know, Okay, how are you going to tell this story? And they did a heck of a job of you know, presenting it from so many different angles.
Speaker 3: The fact that he had to go to jail was important to me.
Speaker 4: You know, you know, you got to the consequences should be that as far as I'm concer so the fact that this high profile dude, you know, even though his wife was in support of him, it was a really complex, layered approach to the story, and I thought it was handled incredibly well and it just it covered it from all angles there was. They weren't trying to vilify the man. They were just trying to hold him accountable, and I thought that was great. And his arrogance and inability to see you know, his the era of his ways, you know, So there's butt to jail there you go.
Speaker 3: You know, you're not You're not above the law.
Speaker 4: So I want to send that message to you know, high profile athletes, actors, whoever, who think that they have the right to do these things. No, you do not, and you should be punished, you know, completely, an absolute to the letter of the law. So that's where I was with it. And and we want to do substance of work. You don't always have to play the good guy. It's somebody that everybody loves, uh And evidently people will appreciate that you took on.
Speaker 3: A role that you know.
Speaker 4: That could possibly have you seen in a negative light. But recognizing no, if we don't tell the story, then then then it's not in the forefront as it should be.
Speaker 3: So that's why that's why I was with it.
Speaker 1: Did you guys film the the security camera footage or those stand ins or did you guys do that?
Speaker 4: No, we did that and that was very tough and that was that was that was rough. But again, you can't give it a soft landing. You gotta go for it because that's the horrific nature of it and if you do anything less then you're not doing service to it. But I was just totally you okay, you know, always like checking in with her to make sure that she was okay with with everything that was going down, and.
Speaker 3: We worked it out to it. But she, you know, she's like, come on, now, let's go for it.
Speaker 4: You know, this needs to be as brutal as it is in order for you know, it to resonate with the audience.
Speaker 3: It needs to be that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it is shocking and hard to watch, like you know, like the video that you know came out on the news. Well, one thing I noticed throughout this whole episode, you do so like much acting without saying a word.
Speaker 2: Your faces say so much. Like on top just.
Speaker 1: Gave one look to Megan Good and it was like, oh, you know, who the like, what is happening in this house?
Speaker 2: Which is one was so impressive?
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, Yeah, it's gonna be a problem. You know, you're doing what are you doing?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: I mean, unfortunately those guys are like that, very much like that.
Speaker 3: It is the ego maniac. Yeah, a lot of ways like.
Speaker 4: I run this and you know you better andize step out of line. It's it's it's so unfortunate. And I just hope that we're men continue to evolve with a clear understanding and that you know, that.
Speaker 3: Is a no go.
Speaker 4: And you know, unfortunately not enough men are teaching their sons. But hey, I was taught by my older brother. The brother just said tyne a woman and that stuck with me for my life, you know, and no one seems simple, but it you got to drill drill it home. Coming from certain communities, you do have to drill it home.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately it can be more commonplace than it should be.
Speaker 2: So and then you would like how was?
Speaker 3: How was?
Speaker 1: Because it was kind of translating even into the relationship with the sun, because you were at that moment where you kind of yell at him. And you know, that's a similar thing where people just learn not from their parents, you know, like this is how you control your children or you keep your kids in line or whatever.
Speaker 2: But how was it working with that kid actor?
Speaker 1: Were you like, I'm a nice guy, like in between takes, like what because like.
Speaker 3: I really like a ten year old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I naturally love kids and gravitate. So my energy was to protect him, but also to show him that this is how you be a professional.
Speaker 3: When you do your work. You do your work fully.
Speaker 4: And absolutely I'm making apologize apologies for doing your work, but you don't have to have the work bleed into you know, the on set energy. It doesn't have to be that way. So I'm gonna you get comfortable until you're not. But when we say action, you know, I got to do my work, and so I want you to want him to understand.
Speaker 3: That, right.
Speaker 1: Have you ever worked with someone that stays in character the whole time and then you're so annoyed?
Speaker 4: Like yeah, yeah, I try not to be annoyed. But you know, everybody owns their space, you know that. I'm like that, like do you do it? And you know a lot of time what happens is, you know, people are put on their headphones and just be you know, like in the corner and stuff, and I'm like, yeah, okay, whatever it takes for you no problem and if you especially with stuff like this.
Speaker 3: He's a very very.
Speaker 4: Heavy, you know, deep drama kind of situations, so some people have to ramp up, you know. For me, it's more just about relaxation and being true to the story, you know what I mean. And they did such a heck of job of writing it. I think it was Warren light. I believe it was. You know, if you just if you're present and you're relaxed in the truth of what's on that page, then you know, for me, I don't have to do a lot of ramping up. I'm more so concerned with the other actors feeling comfortable and safe, you know.
Speaker 3: But we had some.
Speaker 4: Fun too, because I got to you know, ic Tea is like the coolest uncle on the planet, you know, and you know he's funny. You know, we got to chat and talk for real. I wrapped for him. He said I could rap, and I was like, oh wow, RISK rapped and it was like oh wow, you know, so that was we would have. You know, sometimes when the subject matter is so heavy, you do want to have some levity in between takes and stuff, because it's already an uncomfortable subject matter.
Speaker 3: So I didn't know risk could.
Speaker 4: Rapt but she she's funny too. They're both very funny. You know you you're going to have a good time working with them, for sure. And then I see he wanted to talk about Milwaukee dead. He's at y'all. He's at y'all, you know who need to.
Speaker 3: Be killed off? Call?
Speaker 4: Okay, he don't listen to his father? Need to take off that damn hat? I said, I see who says that man who says that the kids should be killed off each other? But I guess they listened.
Speaker 3: They heard him.
Speaker 4: You know, probably took what three maybe three or four more seasons, but you know, Carl was killed off. But he had he had a huge beef for that character, the kids, Carricter.
Speaker 2: It's so funny.
Speaker 1: He's like, it's an apocalypse, a zombie apocalypse. But take your hat off.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: You had listening to your damn father. He's great.
Speaker 2: Did you get any ice cold facts?
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 4: He was talking about the state of rap So you know when he was doing that dissertation, I was all these bad you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wait did you start in theater or were you or no?
Speaker 2: Like why did you you did?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So I got to New York in eighty nine. Actually, the first thing I did was to stand in on the Cosby Show. I thought I was audition I was so new to the city, you know, I thought I was auditioning for the show. I was actually auditioning to have a piece of tape across my just saying THEO.
Speaker 1: But what stand ins make more than background? So you're not at the merry bottom.
Speaker 4: No, No, that was that. It was a cool gig, you know, it was at that time. It was just after. It was an after gig. Yeah, you know, I mean, look at the experience you there with all these iconic people and you know, absorbing everything.
Speaker 3: You know, a thing. I know cos was dealing with it.
Speaker 4: What we're you know, part of what we're talking about right now. Yeah, but at that time, you know, he was just this iconic dude, and uh, Lisa Bonet and you know Lisa bone was dating that's when she was dating Lenny Kravitz at that time. Wow, she would come she would come to the US to the studio. Was calling a story of studios and queens and story of things. So she would come to the studio say hey, guys, hey, guys, could you guys, please play Lenny's music for the pre show, because nobody knew who Lenny Kravitz was at the time, and you know she was trying to promote her.
Speaker 1: Man, God, were how was it being in New York in that time and acting like obviously story like, how do you remember that time?
Speaker 3: It was so exciting, you know, I was so excited. I was following my dreams.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't care for Richmond Virginia, uh made if I made his way to New York. And I was just a wide eyed excited, very cocky and sure of what I could do.
Speaker 3: So you know, I literally I was fired from the show.
Speaker 4: Because I was you know, I got desponded after finding out that they're not even going to give me a shot to be on the show.
Speaker 3: I'm doing this so I could be on the show. I even told Malchael Jamon one of that.
Speaker 4: He said, he said, I said, no, man, I'm an actor. He's It's like, he said, who's a professional standard? Maybe they are, but I'm not one of them. So I was I wanted to be on the show because when you when you rehearse, you're doing the lines and the blocking just as they would and they show you on the monitors throughout the throughout the soundstage as if you were that character. And I was really good. I knew I was good at what I was doing, so and they did too. But so, you know, eventually I was like, I would be so despondent when it was time, Like you work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and they take for a Friday and you're not there. So every Friday I'm on the train crying, like why can I be? You know, I want to be on the show. So inevitably, Malcolm, you know, the Cogy show ends and Malcolm has a new show called Here and Now, and I got it.
Speaker 3: I got a guest star. I wrote on there.
Speaker 4: Oh so when I showed up, he's like, yo, I said, I told you that.
Speaker 1: You mentioned it's like, you know what it's like to be on a show that hits and gets that level. When did you When did you realize Walking Dead like it's all going to be what it was like While you guys are filming premiere, like.
Speaker 4: You realize, well, you know, I was watching it, but you know, season three it was you know, I came in at the halfway point of season three and by season three, it was finding its momentum. You know, really it could you know what all it is? Everywhere you turn people are talking about it.
Speaker 2: Good it all the after show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then all of that stuff was birthed.
Speaker 4: You know, when did you have a show about a talk show about a show?
Speaker 3: Right? Very often?
Speaker 4: And uh so everything about it took off, you know, everywhere you turned that people were just talking about it. So that's that that part. And then you know, I wasn't even looking at my you know, social media numbers. They were going through the roof, especially when I was killed off. I think that's probably when when the numbers went up, you know, and you know, in the hundreds of thousands.
Speaker 2: So uh people devastated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, incredibly. So's they still talk about it today still. One of those I had two iconic, really iconic episodes of One was called The Grove, where.
Speaker 3: I had to confront a character about killing.
Speaker 4: Who had killed my girlfriend on the show. And this is someone I thought I was in allegiance with and Carol.
Speaker 3: So when Carol killed my.
Speaker 4: Girlfriend, she admitted to kill my girlfriend. And it was one of the most iconic scenes that's ever been done. And that was amazing and then the having to kill the little girl.
Speaker 3: She had to kill a little girl was incredible.
Speaker 4: And so the Grove is one of those show episodes that sits out and then My and My Death episode, those two likes. It's been what eleven seasons, and if you said top ten shows episodes, those two episodes would be in the top ten still, you know. Yeah, so pretty pretty powerful, impactful, memorable stuff.
Speaker 2: Wait, I have one.
Speaker 1: This is from saw a photo while we were researching you the makeup on Orville.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I love I love Clydon.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, our storyline has been huge for the LGBTQ plus community because they look at it as same sex, you know, and they also look at.
Speaker 3: The transgender community with our daughter who's.
Speaker 4: A son now, you know, or no our yeah, our daughter who became a son, who became a daughter, you know.
Speaker 3: But the the.
Speaker 4: LGBTQ plus community has been really appreciative of that storyline. They're able to extract from it, you know, some of their own experiences and that's been amazing. But in terms of the makeup, it takes an hour and ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought it would be way longer.
Speaker 4: I know. Seth was very pointed about us not being in the makeup chair for like three hours.
Speaker 3: It's TV.
Speaker 4: You know, we don't have the time and you know, just spend in a chair like you do on some film sets. So he was Howard berger uh Is with K and B special effects makeup, probably the premiere company in the in the game now and Howard created this thing. So he made a cowl of the head and now you do his tack it down around your face, and then the second pieces like the batman mask, the eyes and the nose boom and then a little chin. Most of the time is spent spraying.
Speaker 3: Down and evening out the makeup, you know, but it's it was. It was very efficient, but it looks so elaborate, but it was. He did most of the work for us, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're not getting recognized from the Orville pretty much.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe I am.
Speaker 3: No they It's what happens is to go I know that voice.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, yeah, the voice totally.
Speaker 4: But then a lot of people were like, oh, shoot, I didn't know Jack Coleman under there, Like yeah, yeah, I saw I saw Alan Rickman and a Galaxy quest.
Speaker 3: That's when I first like, I want to be in you know, I'd love to be and uh, a couple of others.
Speaker 4: Enemy minds, you know, and that was Lucasset inside of them in the makeup. There's been a few that you know resonated, so it's an actor. I always felt like that would be cool to do, so I was happy to be able to do it.
Speaker 1: I love introducing someone as a wife abuser. That was really funny. It was hard not to fully tackle and he because he seems like the nicest man in real life, as everybody is. Every asshole on the show is like comes on our podcast and is the nicest person in the world. But he was come into us live from a hotel room and I seeing the time, and one of the funniest things in the history of the world happened, which is someone was in the background but didn't realize there was a video and he had to go, girl, there's a video, and then she jumped like in a movie where she was covering like a bomb from exploding a village. She jumped over the bed. It was so funny, it was incredible. So thanks for that live laugh for us. That was fantastic and an incredible actor.
Speaker 2: Person, you know. I just I really enjoyed our chat. Yeah, yeah, great guy and so booked.
Speaker 1: He's in so many things coming up that we obviously aren't going to mention because of SAG stuff, but like, very talented man, and you'll be seeing him a lot more in the future.
Speaker 2: I feel like in tons of stuff.
Speaker 1: Ell yeah, episode, Oh my god, it is just susy.
Speaker 2: This one is great. It's layered.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, we have to help people get out of these abusive situations, but she didn't want to even when they don't want to help themselves. Yeah, she did. She wanted to be with this person. And I don't know what the right thing to do, Like what do you do? Yeah, I mean I get Olivia's point of view is like we're on the side of the law, like you broke the law. We have to do, we have to do And it's like there is an eight year old kid in the house, you know. Well, yeah, because I remember when the Chris Brown Rihanna situation happened, a lot of people's thing was like, well, she forgave him, or she went back to her they or had a relation or whatever, and I go, that has nothing to do with me, And I hate him and fuck him and I will never support him, you know, like I to me, it doesn't matter if if you did something fucked up to someone and they forgave you, that is their prerogative and that is their right of course, but I will hate you and I don't care. Yeah that was I mean, there's an s for you based on that that we've been avoiding handling, but.
Speaker 2: We definitely have been because it's so it's upsetting.
Speaker 1: It's upsetting and that no one cares and that the Reverend defended him in this episode. Yeah, that really gets my blood boiling.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Not good, not good.
Speaker 1: I mean it's just like yeah, and it's it's hard because it's like even I thought myself feeling bad for ray Rice when I was doing this research because I was like, wow, he really says nothing else ever happened, and like there's never been a blemish on his record except for this one time that he fucking like cold cocked his wife and then just like didn't seem scared at all or upset that he had done it. Like I understand, people see red, they go on to it and then then it's like, oh my god, what have I done? Like there was none of that, and so that makes me think like, yeah, I guess if this hadn't happened and you had it lost your whole career and been under the public microscope, Like, who knows what you would have done next time. You know, there's no way that was the first. You don't just punch someone out cold like that.
Speaker 3: I know. That is what.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. So you know how I always call this the conair rule.
Speaker 1: I was with my sister and she got into a little thing with someone because basically, oh, I can't live in and tell you this. So they know somebody whose son is defending people against bullies, but he has a black belt in taekwondo, and so he chokes these kids out until they pass out. And so the whole discussion is like their parents, though, are suing the school for not doing enough about bullying, even though their kid is the one who has choked out three people till they pass out, which to me, I was like, Oh, he's gonna be a cop. This is a kid that's gonna be a cop. Because so they're not yeah, you're not punching. You're not telling a parent like you can punch someone, you can kick them, you can shove them to the ground and say don't do that, and violence is not the answer whatever, but like, all right, you hit it kid, who cares? But you're to choke out another kid until they lose consciousness is an extreme And my sister's trying to explain to these parents like no, no, no, that is wrong, like it's the con Air rule.
Speaker 2: And I go, wait, what did you just say?
Speaker 1: She goes, well, he has skills because he has a black belt in taekwondo, and I go, I say the con Air rule.
Speaker 2: I'm like, we are truly related. It just felt special.
Speaker 1: But yeah, wait, so this kid's parents are suing because he's like taking vigil he's like a vigilante. Basically, he's like taking justice into his own hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that he shouldn't have to.
Speaker 1: And they they're just like a litigious family, so I guess they like love suing people, so they sue people constantly and win all this money and kind of live.
Speaker 2: Off there are you know, they are not my sister's friends.
Speaker 1: They are like someone like a friend of a friend, like yeah, people they know from their past. But like yeah, yeah, the person that was relaying the story saw no issue with this kid passing people out, and I was like, oh, no, he will be a decorated officer soon, don't you worry? Yeah? Oh my, my, justice to the extreme. So I don't know, to the extreme. I rock a mic like a vandal, choke out my classmates. It's a scandal, that's my I just made that up. It was a vanilla ice wrap that I did about a kid choking people at school. So I hope you guys like that. That'll be coming out on Spotify soon. I've turned to music in light of the strike. No, I guess this kid made the assistant principal cry too.
Speaker 2: He said, you don't care about children.
Speaker 1: You've done nothing here, like bullied the Like, get this kid, this kid's gonna be a cop, Like put him in now, let him be a cop now, Like, let's just get it going, start it.
Speaker 2: Do you have him a canine? Let's start. Wait. I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Give information, but they know how to be suing because the mom was a stenographer. Wow, took notes. Yeah, she took notes with those little fingers. So anyway, post more, I'm basically a tough episode. Obviously, we've talked a lot about domestic violence on this podcast. There's a lot of things going on that Megan Good is in it. I know we mentioned it in the episode, but it is like he recorded this episode and then the news came out that she was standing by Jonathan Majors in court for abuse, and it's like, how is this episode real and life real?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the timing is crazy. The timing is crazy. Let's move on to our what would Sister peg?
Speaker 3: Do?
Speaker 1: You guys know our weekly segment where we send you to a blog, magazine article made for TV movie an organization of charitable intentions to give you more information about something we talked about today. And this week, we wanted to highlight an organization that Chad mentioned in our interview with him. He has worked with the Love Life Now Foundation, which is a global awareness and education organization that supports survivors of domestic violence through year round initiatives and direct assistants to domestic violence programs. The organization was founded by Laverne Jay Gordon, who herself is a sir thriver I think her term of domestic abuse. We love to mention any organization that any of our guests work with directly, so we wanted to point you guys that way, and so for more information, go to lovelifenow dot org. As always, that'll be on our Instagram, in our stories the day that the episode comes out, and in our WWSPD highlight and next week please join us as we do Wednesday's Child. That's Season fifteen, Episode fourteen. Xoxo forever. We're obsessed with all of you. That's Messed Up as an Exactly Right production. If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email. That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow.
Speaker 2: Us personally at Kara Klank and at glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information. Thank you so much to our producer Kacy O'Brien, and to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cotner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstar, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer and everybody at Exactly Right Media. Dud dun