Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news from the heart of where innovation, money and power collide in Silicon Valley and beyond. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and.
Speaker 2: Ed Ludlow live from New York.
Speaker 3: I'm Tim Steneveek and I'm Jackie Devalas in San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology coming up. Intel shares are soaring on reports that both TSMC and Broadcom are only potential deals that would split the US chip making Giant. In two plus, Elon Musk's artificial intelligence startup XAI showcases it's updated Grock three model, a rush challenge to open AI, and we'll dive into concerns around AI safety as companies and governments appear to change their attitudes on how to make the technology safer. But first let's look at markets. Tim, what are you looking at?
Speaker 4: I'm looking at the Nazaq one hundred, searching for a little bit of direction you can see down not even well, not even one tenth of one percent, bouncing between gains and losses throughout the session so far, Traders watching the latest geopolitical developments. All eyes are what's happening in Eastern Europe. This is the US and Russia agreed to more talks on resolving the war in Ukraine, but set no date for a summit meeting between Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin Ukraine's of Vladimir's Olenski canceling his visit.
Speaker 2: To Saudi Arabia. So we'll bring you updates on that as we do get them. I am watching.
Speaker 4: Shares of Intel though, up about ten percent as we speak, surging after the Wall Street Journal reported that both TSMC and Broadcom are molling separate potential deals that would split Intel into two. Now the journal is reporting that Broadcom would be interested in the chip design and market business. Well, TSMC is apparently interested in Intel's chip plants. Today's serge, though, does come after Intel had its best week all the way.
Speaker 2: Going back to the year two thousand.
Speaker 4: Shares rows more than twenty percent last week on reports that the US government is possibly getting involved with a plan that involves both Intel and TSMC.
Speaker 3: Jackie, let's get right too with Bloomberg's Bryan Westelica. Ryan, let's talk about those chip plans which Intel is operating currently at a loss. What could a potential deal with TSMC mean for that business.
Speaker 5: Hey, good afternoon, thanks for having me. So.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so a lot remains unclear right now, but certainly this has been a real drag on Intel for quite an extended period of time. Obviously, the previous CEO invested heavily in the foundry business, you know, billions of dollars and really see too much of a return on that. It is well behind TSMC and Samsung. So people are really looking to see if there is any kind of you know, sort of resk you for the foundry business that is really expected to really support Intel. If there is some kind of deal coming to fruition.
Speaker 4: Ryan, what would be left of Intel if it's TSMC and Broadcom were to succeed in this as reported by the journal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a great question.
Speaker 6: Again, so many details are still up in the air, not yet confirmed. I mean, you know, there is such a focus on domestic manufacturing. Intel got a lot of money from the Chips Act. It was building out a factory in Ohio, for example, So there is certainly a geopolitical aspect to this. People want to see more domestic chip manufacturing, and if TSMC is able to work with Intel in some capacity, obviously that would probably be good for PSMC to have more of a domestic presence here, certainly good for Intel. But again, we really don't know what any of this is going to end up looking like, if anything does come to fruition.
Speaker 3: Ryan, Let's talk about some other non sexy names in tech, like IBM and Cisco. You wrote this morning that they're kind of seeing a run up and showing themselves to be AI contenders. What's leading this enthusiasm.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so Cisco last week gave a pretty positive revenue forecast talking about the demand it is seeing related to all the AI infrastructure that is being built out. IBM earlier this year had a pretty strong forecast of its own, some strong long term sales targets. These are two companies that you know, were sort of forgotten by a lot of investors. They are nowhere near you know, like you said, they're sexy heydays like Cisco still below its dot com erapeak from two thousand, but you know, as it's starting to see a little bit more of a growth narrative, especially really to AI, people are taking another look. These are stocks that are you know, trading at pretty considerable discounts to the max seven names. They have pretty strong dividend yield. So in a period of time when people are maybe wondering, have the Max seven gone too far?
Speaker 5: Is this story already priced in?
Speaker 6: Having some new AI stocks in there, especially mature companies with pretty solid cash flow and dividends and so forth trading at lower multiples, you can see white people might be taking another look at them.
Speaker 4: Well, let's stick with the Mag seven. Bloomberg's Ryan Vistelica joining us from Chicago. Always good to see you, Ryan. For more, I do want to bring in Dana Dioria. She's group president over at invest Net Solutions, also co chief investment officer at invest Net. Dana, we heard Ryan just now talking about the Mag seven. It's more than thirty percent of the makeup of the S and P five hundred, those seven stocks. How are your clients diversifying away from the MAG seven? Are they overinvested in them?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 7: I mean so, beauties in the eye of the holder, right, So there's a lot of you know, research that suggest look, if you are invested.
Speaker 8: In the market, the market, the market's.
Speaker 7: Determination is this is what these stocks are worth, and you know they're invested where they should be. I think a lot of our clients though, are looking at that, and obviously on investment, we're talking about retail clients with advisors managing our assets, and they look to diverse.
Speaker 8: By in other places. They look to have an overall globally allocate portfolio.
Speaker 7: That has international investments that perhaps leans a little bit into small caps. But let's be honest, if you are you know, more than fifty cents on the dollar that goes into our platform goes into passive assets. So if you're there, you've got a ton of you said it yourself, it's it's thirty percent right of the SMP. But even if you're in an actively managed strategy, it's very hard at this point to have a ton of tracking error to the passive index because it's performed so well in the last several years.
Speaker 3: Dana, there's a couple of different ways that we can look at tech companies. Now you have software, hardware, enterprise and then the consumer focus. How are you thinking about how to bucket these sorts of investments going forward and the sorts of catalysts you're looking from each bucket?
Speaker 7: Well, so I think you know, for the average client on the platform, it's more about the sector, and it's more about, you know, where is the sector from a market cap weighted perspective within the indexes. And then if you're in say a Rust one thousand growth actively managed strategy, how are the how is that manager doing that bucketing?
Speaker 8: How are they thinking about playing the AI trade? For example? Is it a question of you know, do I diverse by.
Speaker 7: Again away from saying Nvidia right, and and this has been a big struggle for them because you know, you have to meet forty act rules around diversification in a lot of cases, and it's hard to do when you have more than fifty percent of say the Russell one thousand growth uh, you know, invested in these mag seven And so I think that bucketing helps where a good active manager who's able to look at the tech sector and say, okay, you.
Speaker 8: Know, I see opportunity sets.
Speaker 7: Maybe in some of these suppliers to big you know, to the MAG seven right, and these different parts of the market where I can still kind of take that growthy bet on AI and tech, but.
Speaker 8: Not necessarily you know, be so heavily focused.
Speaker 7: On the MAG seven and you know, not meeting those diversification roles. So I think that's something that you know, these managers struggle with and every time we see sort of a dip, you know, it's a question is it a buying opportunity to kind of leg more into those types of things as opposed.
Speaker 8: To actually diversifying.
Speaker 3: You know, that's kind of the question where can we find certainty? And I know that's asking a lot given these days, but when we think about where we can see the tangible return, you have concerns around infrastructure capacity and then at the same time and consumer you just don't really know how these sorts of features are going to be monetized. Which one do you think holds more certainty for investors?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, I think the energy theme has been a huge one. It's it comes across and you know, so we sit at the junction of hundreds of asset managers, so we kind of get a good sense of where, you know, the zeitgeist is sort of leaning, and I would say to you that the secular trend and energy has definitely been a theme.
Speaker 8: I also think people understand that this administration.
Speaker 7: Is probably going to be not like pro growth, but you know, helpful and terms of energy centers, you know, helping the energy sector in general. Here in the US, and I have a view. You know that we're going to have to meet the energy demands over the next several years and into the next you know, decade, et cetera.
Speaker 8: You're going to have energy sources from everywhere. It just is what it is.
Speaker 7: So sustainable, yes, you know, more traditional incumbent. Yes, We're just not there yet to kind of transition over to sustainable. So I think energy is a play that probably a lot of investors have focused on for this and you know, particularly with this administration, they see the opportunity set there.
Speaker 8: You know, even before AI.
Speaker 7: Right, our energy needs we're going to increase just looking at demographic trends, population growth, you know, parts of the world that are moving into a better standard of living, which is what we obviously want to see. But all of that is going to create energy demands even before you get to the AI.
Speaker 4: Trade growth versus value. It's a debate that I've been having with guests. I started doing this, Is this finally the year? I mean, growth is one every year I've been doing this, Is this finally the year that we see value?
Speaker 2: I perform?
Speaker 8: It is so hard to be a value manager.
Speaker 7: You know, here's what I would say January effect is interesting. It's not statistically significant, but you know, there's a little signal in there. January did see out performance of value. I think, look the notion that we are higher for longer on interest rates. Traditionally speaking, that should benefit value, right because more of those cash flows are coming earlier, and so when you have a higher discount rate, the growth stocks should theoretically be impacted worse by that because they have more longer dated cash flows, more years that you have to discount by a higher number.
Speaker 8: So yeah, theoretically there's some makings for that there, but.
Speaker 7: We all know the AI trade can just you know, and or other secular trends can can just blow that out of the water.
Speaker 8: So it's very hard I think in the short run to say what will win what won't win.
Speaker 7: I will say, you know, I think at the end of the day, valuation will always still matter.
Speaker 8: It matters more for medium term expect and return.
Speaker 7: To try to trade on it in the short run is you know, it doesn't have a good track record for that.
Speaker 3: There's hope yet for value investors. Dana Doria from Investment thanks for joining us Elon Musk's XAI has debuted its latest GROP three model, promising advanced reasoning and even a new smart search feature. This comes just days after Musk made an unsolicited bid to buy Sam Motman's open Ai, which was ultimately rejected for more. Bloomberg Intelligence analyst man Deep Singh joins us Now, Man Deep, what do you make of this model? How does it stack up to xai rivals?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Look, I think what they have showed is another reasoning model that can do well on certain benchmarks, and clearly was trained on one of the biggest clusters out there.
Speaker 2: And you think about you know the number of.
Speaker 9: GPUs they use for this model, So is there anything groundbreaking?
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 9: But at the same time, what they're showing is all these llms are narrowing, you know, the capability gap they had with open ai, and I still think open ai is the preferred model when it comes to the usage and the distribution they have created for themselves. It would be interesting to see how much upsale xai can have on their own platform, Twitter and whether users are willing to pay a subscription. That will be the real test. But clearly I think it scores well on all the benchmarks.
Speaker 2: Mandeep.
Speaker 4: Is the market big enough now and in the future for Claude, for chat, GPT, for you know, whatever comes next that's being worked on right now. Is it smart enough for Gemini? Is it big enough for Gemini? Do we need all of these?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Look, I mean we just got off the earning season in the past one month, and it's very obvious that everyone is doubling down when it comes to their capex investments. So the market is big enough to answer your question. At the same time, our view is that the field is narrowing when it comes to the foundational model players. And that's where, you know, only the ones with deep pockets, your hyperscalers or XAI for that matter, that can spend on these you know, billion dollar training runs will be the ones who would have the foundational models and they'll try to roll it out for all the applications to use.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Mandeep saying and joining us here in New York, Mandy, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Well sticking with AI.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, open ai co founder Ilias at Skimer is looking to raise more than one billion dollars for his startup, Safe Superintelligence. It could value the company at over thirty billion dollars. According to sources. San Francisco based VC firm Green Oaks Capital Partners is leading the deal. For more Bloomberg's Kate Clark joins US now here in New York. So where does this company sit in the AI world?
Speaker 10: Well, this company is brand new. It was founded in June of last year, which its valuation even more incredible. The company is trying to create a safe superintelligence, so it's.
Speaker 3: All in the name.
Speaker 10: But otherwise we don't know very much about this company. It is very secretive, it is very much under the radar, and it's just getting started.
Speaker 3: Kate, what do we know about why investors are interested? As you mentioned, it's super new, it's not really generating much revenue. And you add on to the fact that kind of the word safety is almost coming out of vogue this year amid a new administration that doesn't really seem to put too much importance on responsible AI. What do you make of that? Like, what's kind of the hook here for a VC that's investing in this company.
Speaker 10: There's one huge clear hook, and that's the founder, Iliasitzkiber, which, as you both know, is a co founder of open ai. Longtime chief scientists and a chief architect of those aim models. People really truly believe that he is a singular force and that whatever he builds will be a massive, massive success. The company has zero revenue and we won't see a product for years most likely, as it seeks to create this safe super intelligence. So truly it is all about the founder in this one, and that is what's justifying this thirty billion dollar valuation, which by the way, makes this one of the most highly valued companies in the world. And I don't have the statistics in front of me, but I think having zero dollars in revenue and evaluation that high is pretty rare.
Speaker 4: I feel like you're, you know, you're sort of emphasizing the fact that this company doesn't have a product at this point and it's all on the founder and it could be worth billions of dollars at this point.
Speaker 2: Can we can we say froth or VC saying froth.
Speaker 3: Vcs are saying froth.
Speaker 10: I mean vcs are also saying this is a once in a generation moment, and they want to get on board with people like Ilia because they do believe that they will someone like him can create the next trillion dollar company. So if you believe that, then sure it's a great moment. But I think outside of you know, maybe Ilia is a unique person who really will create that super intelligence. But you're seeing tens of billions of dollars go into one year old, two year old companies. It'll take five to ten years before we know how much money venture capitalists will lose, but they will lose a lot of money.
Speaker 3: That's Bloomberg's Kate Clark, thanks for joining us. Coming up, we speak to Cato Network CEO Shlomo Kramer as the company sees a big revenue boost in twenty twenty four. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 4: Elon musk Dos team is said to be attempting to gain access to a broad range of taxpayer data, raising concern from Democratic lawmakers over privacy concerns. Strict US laws prohibit the disclosure of taxpayer data, with some exceptions for law enforcement resources.
Speaker 2: The team is seeking the data but has not yet accessed it.
Speaker 3: Jackie cybersecurity firm Cato Networks as they surpassed two hundred and fifty million in annual recurring revenue for twenty twenty four. That's a jump of forty six percent compared to the year prior. Here with us is Cato Network CEO Shlomo Kramer. Solomo, at a time when companies are really on the hook to show that they can deliver, can you tell us where this demand is coming from.
Speaker 11: The demand is coming from all sizes of organization that faces increased complexity of point solution and are looking for a platform to deliver the network security with operational efficiency and business agility. So it's all about digitively transforming IT security to serve the digitive business.
Speaker 2: Soloma.
Speaker 4: Are you seeing a decline in demand in terms of total spent on this sector due to investment in AI or are you seeing investment grow here?
Speaker 11: We are seeing consistent increase in spending on IT security. Actually, in the four years following COVID, spend of IT security out of IT budget has gone forty percent, while we are not more secure now than we were four years ago. So actually this is actually the increase in spend is the core problem that platforms such as Kato solved.
Speaker 2: So how do we get.
Speaker 4: More secure If people are and companies are spending more money but they're not seeing the results when it comes to security, how do we get more secure?
Speaker 11: We replaced the fifty point products that an average CISO has. With three four call platforms, you know, a platform on the endpoint, a platform on the cloud, a CATO on the network side, all integrated together. It's much more manageable, it's much more agile. You can say yes to the business and you can fit it within the budget and talent that you have.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about venture capital. Investors are pretty excited about cybersecurity startups. They raised a bunch of money in twenty twenty four. You US raised around in twenty twenty three, two hundred and thirty eight million dollars. I mean, is an IPO next for you this year?
Speaker 11: As a growth company, we have many different options, both public and private, and the real goal here is to build a long term leader in this new category called SASS platform for network security.
Speaker 3: Do you see that being as a possibility this year though? I mean, if you were to perhaps speculate on who potential buyers could be, perhaps not just for your company, but kind of in the space in general. As we see M and A tick up, what are you seeing?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 11: Really heads on, heads down on building CATO and I can't I won't circulate on any financing M and a events this year.
Speaker 4: What would be the next financial benchmark? Though you did say you've surpassed two undred and fifty million in arr for twenty twenty four, what's the next benchmark?
Speaker 11: So you know, Governor assess is the market is going twenty six percent AEOV to twenty eight billion dollars in less than four years, and we last year we go much more than that, and we fully expect to go this year also more than the market and take market share and continue to build the company.
Speaker 4: What would you say is the market size?
Speaker 2: It's a huge market, you know.
Speaker 11: Essentially, a SASE our category is the third generation of network security. It replaces the second generation, which are the appliances. These are many tens of billions of dollars that are going to be re architected and five to seven years from now, eighty to ninety percent of appliances are going to be replaced by a SASE cloud implementation. So there's a huge potential and we are just in the beginning. Less than fifteen percent of enterprises have started implemented SASE, and more than almost fifty percent of enterprises are saying that they are going to implement US in the next three years. So this is literally the money time of this cut.
Speaker 4: And goalie Shlomo Kramer, CEO of Cato Networks, thanks so much for joining us to appreciate it. Welcome back to Bloomberg Technology. I'm Tim Stenoveek in New.
Speaker 3: York and I'm Jackie Devalis in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: Let's get a check on the market. So I do want to take a look at shares a super Micro, which are just surging. Look at that up thirteen percent. It's exciting gain three fourth session in a row. This after the totally beat up chip maker issued an aggressive long term revenue outlook and pledged to meet a Nasdaq deadline to file auditive financial results. Super Micro has rallied almost ninety percent this month, putting it on track for the best month going back to May of twenty twenty three, and it looks like it finally could happen meta platforms the parent company on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and more, halting that twenty day winning streak, shares adding more than twenty percent over that record run, though shares down about two point three percent in today's session.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: Creators of a new AI chat bought often claim their model is the best the website. Chat Bot Arena puts those claims to the test, allowing users to test and rank these programs, and bans of the site likely knew that Deep seeks are one model would challenge us.
Speaker 2: Built rivals Bloomberg.
Speaker 4: Seth Figgerman is here to tell us more about chat Bought Arena.
Speaker 2: What happens on this site.
Speaker 12: Well, it seems thinking that the fate and the temperature of a billion dollar industry is being largely shaped by a bunch of students that you see Berkeley.
Speaker 5: It's basically a blind test.
Speaker 12: You know, people can try out, I think something two hundred different models on the site and put two of them against each other. They don't know what they are, and they'll ask a question and see which one does better, and then they'll vote it up or down. And based on that crowdsource ranking, we'll see which rankings which models are at the top of the leaguerboard. So Deep Seek grows up pretty high for months leading up to the launch that captivated everyone, and today as we speak, Grock three is rigging high there too, So it's become a real bragging right for some of the industry.
Speaker 3: But Seth talk to us about some of the risks of some of these crowdsourced platforms that allow us to benchmark how well one model is versus another. What can go wrong?
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's a great question. I mean, first off, it's not definitive. It seems definative, But these are systems that could be rigged, and they're starting not being tests for every different use case. I think the real point here is that one, there are not that many, you know, really agreed upon benchmarks right now for AI systems, and as these systems get better, there's even fewer. I think you're seeing hyperbolic name things like Humanity's last Exam for example, as a mogul with test that with And I think also, you know, at the end of the day, a lot of this as vibes. You know, these systems are all kind of similarly competitive right now, so what might feel good for one person may feel different for another.
Speaker 3: Always the vibes Bloomberg set viagram and thanks for joining us. Concerns around AI safety appear to be shifting, and companies and governments are starting to change the language they use to talk about the topic. Doctor Margaret Mitchell is the chief Ethics Scientists for hugging Face, an open source platform for building and training AI. Margaret talked to us about the shift and tone that we're seeing not just from lawmakers but also from companies as they're starting to really reckon with the fact that weren't a completely different eras or relates to AI safety.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so in the US, we've seen a shift with US companies so like Meta and Google removing some of the language that they had in their various terms of use and sort of responsible practices. So it's less focused on things like accountability, less focused on not participating in surveillance that sort of thing, and less of a focus on this general concept of safety. And there was recently this AI Action summit where jd Vance came and spoke and said that he thinks that the focus should now be on opportunity and it seems like the larger tech companies are our following suit on.
Speaker 4: That, Margaret, If the large tech companies aren't necessarily the ones who put the framework into place when it comes to rules regulations, does the government need to step in?
Speaker 2: What's your view there?
Speaker 13: Yeah, So my view of the role of government, and people have different views here, is that the government should be set up to protect the people, not to protect companies, you know, creating a marketplace of ideas that companies can sort of thrive in, but ultimately stepping in where companies can't step in, in order to make sure that there's a level playing field that everyone can do the responsible thing within the context of market dynamics where you might accidentally destroy your company if you're trying to do all the things that are the best for the people. Right Like, companies exist to make money, and so there needs to be a counterbalance that sort of thinks about, well, what if we're not making money, what if we care about people, and what can we put in place for all companies to abide, buy and then change the market place dynamics in light of that leveled playing field.
Speaker 4: Well, David Sachs's Crypto and AIS are you confident that the Trump administration will put into place policies that will protect people.
Speaker 14: I think the jury is still out on that.
Speaker 13: There definitely is interest in growing the economy, so they've spoken a lot about creating healthy competition that sort of thing.
Speaker 14: I haven't seen.
Speaker 13: As much of their thoughts on protecting people and what that is. I think right now there's sort of a reactionary force. So there's always pendulum swings and ethics. People care a lot about ethics and safety and things like that, and then people absolutely do not. I think we're having a little bit of a pendulum swing right now, back to not being.
Speaker 14: As concerned about foreseeable risks.
Speaker 13: But you know, hopefully the government will listen to the will of the people and step in where no one else will help them.
Speaker 3: Margaret, Just a couple of years ago, we had companies and just a wide swath of the AI community coming out and highlighting the existential risks. Some of these AI safety groups of dubbed as dooomer types if you will. Elon Musk has a growing influence in Washington, and he's been one of those at the forefront of kind of highlighting these existential risks as he's building his own AI technology. What do you make of his influence, but also the existential risks that have been raised before.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so there's a lot to unpack there. This is a really big discussion in ethics circles.
Speaker 13: There's a little bit of an issue where people who focus on existential risks tend to drown out the concerns about current discrimination, so that causes a little bit of tension in ethical discussions. Elon Musk in particular, I'm pretty concerned about the role he has throughout the government right now, but within that's a AI in particular, he doesn't seem to be someone who would really stand up for making sure technology is not discriminatory or doesn't disproportionately harm some subpopulations.
Speaker 14: So there's a pretty big risk there.
Speaker 13: Existential risk is now less of an issue within the past few months, we've seen some stepping down from that as part of these pendulum swings, and so one would hope that that would mean that the immediate and current harms of AI would have more of a center stage. But as it seems to be right now, neither current harms nor foreseeable harms are really much of the focus.
Speaker 3: Even coming out of the Paris AI Action Summit, so much of the language shifted from safety to security, the UK Safety Institute being rebranded as the UK Security Institute. Where should we look to as a leader for you know, how to build not just innovative technology but also responsible AI technology.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so there's a bunch of different ways to kind of approach This one is via governments, and one is via different companies. So like one the company I work for, Hugging Face, takes an approach of being transparent and open because that's a way of making yourself accountable to people. So even in the in marketplace dynamics where you're sort of going for profit, you also have to show your work and that you're doing responsible things. So this is an area where openness can really be helpful in helping drive forward responsible practices. And then you know, there's also been a lot of really nice work in the EU on legislation. The EU and the US are not currently fully aligned on what to prioritize, but I've definitely appreciated a lot of their work on legislation that looks at foreseeable harms and risks as well as benefits.
Speaker 2: Margaret, what are the stakes here? Like?
Speaker 4: What could go wrong if we don't get this right as a society.
Speaker 13: Yeah, So we're in a situation right now where there's a large centralization of power for the AI companies and the larger ones, and they're accruing a lot of wealth while a lot of other people are losing their jobs, and so there's more and more of a divide between the have nots and the have yachts, as Trudeau said recently, So you're really seeing that the wealthy people are getting wealthier and people who are just struggling by are losing their jobs or having their data used in these AI systems that then the larger tech companies are benefiting from while they can't even get you a basic basic income.
Speaker 14: So this massive divide is happening right now.
Speaker 13: There has been like some discussion about UBI like universal basic income, but I haven't seen that really moving forward in the AI world, despite the great idea there. And so that's happening now. And then that also means that people who are dis powered are going to be more subject to things like surveillance, more subject to non consensual usage of their content kind of way that it can be used to further harm them, you know, not give them the medical benefits they need, this sort of thing because of something they had said on social media. You can get into really nasty territory in terms of the rights to the general public, the rights that people have.
Speaker 4: Hugging faces Chief Ethics Scientists Margaret Margaret Mitchell, thanks so much for joining us, Margaret, do appreciate it well. Now Carson Block, founder and CEO of short Sellar Muddy Waters sat down with Bloomberg's Huslinda Men to discuss Elon Musk's Empire and Testless Future in particular.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 15: It's one thing to ask whether you bet on Elon Musk, but I would not bet against him, So I don't count the capital structure arbitrage trade is betting against him because it was pretty edged.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's me being.
Speaker 15: Intellectually disingenuous, but I wouldn't bet against him.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 15: In terms of the robotaxis literally, I think he's been saying that Tesla's robotaxi capability is imminent. I think he's been saying that since twenty sixteen, So you know, take take that with a grain of salt, and you do see in the US in Weimo is offering robotaxi services where I live in Austin, it won't drive on the freeways.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 15: My understanding is that Tesla's technology, because they won't use lidar, is not up to par with with Weimo.
Speaker 2: Or even with Cruise. So yeah, I'd be skeptical of that.
Speaker 15: I mean, do they find appliable local or state government somewhere in the US that says, okay, you can run the service here.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Maybe, but I don't think it's you know, I mean even WEIMO is not ready for prime time if you're not driving on the freeway.
Speaker 14: So, Carson, would you be a buyer of Tesla.
Speaker 3: Then or not?
Speaker 15: Well, I'll check with the quantitative screen that we have and let you know.
Speaker 16: But as it stands now, as it stands now, I mean, given where he is with Trump, given his relationship with Trump, given the chances of him being able.
Speaker 3: To influence regulation for instance displayed.
Speaker 2: Ge you calculation, Well, that's really a double edged sword.
Speaker 15: And one of the things that I was just you know, marveling over on the sixteen and a half hour flight here was when you look at how Elon Musk has really changed his positioning politically over the years. It needs to be darling of the left right, you know, pounding the table that oh, we need to electrify the economy, we need electric cars or else we're going to die as a civilization. We're killing ourselves with CO two emissions, et cetera.
Speaker 2: I mean, politically, we know that.
Speaker 15: He's totally switched Poles, but I mean he's allied himself very closely with the no, let's be realistic here about energy transition. If we're going to transition, we need natural gas, nuclear and you know, electrification is a pipe dream. We don't have the battery technology. I mean, that's what the smarter people on the right, and I happen to agree with those views. That's what they're saying. So Elon Musk is now aligned with them. So my question is with all the focus that he's putting, all the energy is putting into Doge, which, by the way, I'm ahead of the election, I had no idea whether this was really just him trying to be a provocateur or whether.
Speaker 2: He was serious.
Speaker 15: He's serious, he's really focusing on on this Doge, and I think he's actually doing some very interesting things there. But my question then is in his head, has he basically has he admitted.
Speaker 2: To himself that Tesla is.
Speaker 15: It's never going to be. It's that electric vehicles are a long long way away from supplanting ices, and that it's really a niche product, and that it's you know, and has he convinced himself that no, we shouldn't be pushing, you know, running head you know, headfirst into trying to electrify the grid or trying to electrify our economy. I wonder if he's I suspect he has switched views on a macro level, but especially with how he thinks about Tesla, that would be a little bit embarrassing for him to say publicly. So yeah, maybe just banging the table about oh ai AI and robotaxis is how he tries to cover up that sentiment shift internally.
Speaker 3: That was Muddy Waters founder and CEO Carson Block, along with Bloomberg's has Linda. I'm in coming up big text, big pullback from DEI. The CEO of inclusion benchmarking platform Paradigm joins us. Next, this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 4: Well, following the lead of the Trump administration, some tech companies, including Google, Meta, and Amazon are scrapping or rolling back DEI diversity, equity.
Speaker 2: And inclusion programs.
Speaker 4: For more on what this change of direction could mean, we're joined by Joel Emerson. She's the co founder and CEO of Paradigm. It's a platform that helps companies improve and benchmark inclusion efforts. Joelle, good to see you. You know, I'm curious, I would imagine you kind of have a problem with the premise of the question here, because you argue that these companies are not in fact rolling back their DEI programs. But I got to tell you, it's what it looks like to me.
Speaker 17: You know, I think it's a moment of evolution. Definitely, the legal, political.
Speaker 14: Social landscapes are changing.
Speaker 17: But what I see, especially from the companies that we work with, is this desire to refocus efforts on programs that create fair and inclusive cultures for everyone.
Speaker 14: And the good news is that that's a goal that's.
Speaker 17: Pretty universally popular, and I think, you know, that's going to require us some evolution. It's going to look like a shift away from maybe some of the more performative or high visibility but less impactful to employees types of programs that companies might have been focused on, the last several years. And I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, Joell.
Speaker 3: For some of the people that this might affect, the underrepresented groups, people of color, women, it's somewhat emboldening when you see companies really taking a stand and making their stands known publicly. What are some of the drawbacks though, of perhaps pulling some of this language back, Even while some of these programs are still going on behind the scenes.
Speaker 17: I think the risk is that companies are going to signal in some of their messaging that they no longer care about casting a wide net for talent. They no longer care about building cultures where people from all backgrounds and all identities can come together and do their best work and thrive, which, you know, communicating that you care about those things is actually pretty essential to building a future ready company. It's the type of thing that attracts the best employees. It's the type of thing that unlocks engagement and performance. When you feel like you belong, you believe your company cares about these things. So I think what companies should do if they truly do still care about those goals but just don't want to be associated with this now highly charged acronym DEI is communicate more precisely about what it is they're actually going to be doing.
Speaker 14: So maybe they are no longer.
Speaker 17: Going to be tying you know, executive compensation to hitting targets, which, by the way, is the type of thing we haven't seen be all that impactful. It's focused on sort of one of the most lagging indicators of whether you're building an equitable, inclusive culture and instead talking about how are we going to build a culture for everyone? How are we going to take a look at what's happening in our hiring process and make sure that people from all backgrounds have a fair shot at getting hired here, How are we going to make sure that we're looking at things like who gets promoted or who stays and who leaves, and if we're consistently looking at those things and we're addressing any problems that we identify, I think that'll help employees understand that, you know, the acronym wasn't.
Speaker 14: Really what mattered.
Speaker 17: What mattered is are we actually doing the things that make our culture more diverse, more fair, more inclusive. And those are actually the types of things that buy and large I see companies continuing to.
Speaker 4: Focus on I imagine that you have data that shows that there's a business case for doing this. If that is indeed the case, then why doesn't the free market solve this? Or do you think that the free market could solve this?
Speaker 17: I actually think the free market does solve this to some extent, which is why I'm not that concerned that companies are going to stop doing the things that help them compete for the best talent that help them build cultures that unlock performance.
Speaker 14: But I think the business case is complicated.
Speaker 17: It's not true that you just make your team, you know, somewhat marginally more diverse, and magic happens in your share price goes up. I think you know what actually tends to unlock performance, what actually tends to drive better business outcomes, is some of the hard work of building a healthy and inclusive culture. Culture is where people are going to speak up if they have an idea that might diverge from the norm. Cultures where people who are different from each other, which is increasingly true as workplaces just become more diverse because the population is becoming more diverse. Creating a culture where people who are different from one another can come together and collaborate effectively and communicate effectively. These things really do matter to company performance, and I don't always think it's so obvious whether you're doing that, or whether or not or you know, companies are pretty complex. It's not always obvious which things are contributing to which outcomes. So I think it's important to continue to remind companies that you know, a lot of the things that formerly might have been categorized under the bucket of DEI are actually pretty universally popular and uncontroversial. Things like making sure that you're opening up access to your company to people from different backgrounds, like veterans who might not have known about the technology industry. Things like robust parental leaf policies so that caregivers can return to work and continue their careers after taking time off to have a child.
Speaker 14: Things like promotion practices that.
Speaker 17: Make sure that we're applying the same standards to everyone so it's the actual best person and not just the person who's closest friends with the manager who has an opportunity to grow. The vast majority of things that we categorize previously under this bucket of DEI, they help companies perform better, they make organizations more fair, and the vast majority of people think they're a good idea.
Speaker 14: And those are the types of things that I just don't see companies shifting.
Speaker 3: Away from that. Show Elamerson, CEO of Paradigm, thanks for joining us. Coming up, we'll discuss what to expect from Apple's event tomorrow. This is Bloomberg Apple CEO Tim Cook teasing last week the arrival of quote the newest member of our family, Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Anna A. Grano, joins us now with more anrog what can we expect next week?
Speaker 18: It's really looking forward to their the cheapest phone that they have, the iPhone. I see coming up with a big bang. Mark Gorman's already told us about it in terms of the foster processor and the larger screen. I think this is a good thing for Apple because they're really struggling to really break the market share both in China and India and Brazil in terms of getting a bigger piece of that pie, and a cheaper phone can really help them do that.
Speaker 3: That's Bloomberg Intelligences, Anna Igrana, thanks for joining us, and that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Technology. Don't forget to check out our podcast. You can find it on the terminal as well as online apples, Spotify and iHeart This is Bloomberg