Speaker 1: Command This Family an extra special episode of the Next Man Podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey for Darien Mathis, come in and talk to us about the.
Speaker 1: Precious of being the second round thinking how he finally feels healthy and ready to go. Then bring on another second round. Pick former tight end for the Washington Redskins, Fred Davis pulls up and talks about his favorite memories, plans for the burden, and goal all that more. Right now a Next Man Now. This episode of the Next Man Up is brought to you by Cancelo Proud Kioks, partners of.
Speaker 2: The Washington Commanders.
Speaker 1: Now, we know you'd hate waiting in lines for your concession, but we got something for you. To go to the club level of Northwest Stay and find yourself one of these cantlop self served kiosks.
Speaker 2: Put your order in and head back to your seat. You want miss a minute of the game. That will bring the food to.
Speaker 1: You and you can enjoy the game without any lines, without any hassle.
Speaker 2: And without missing a second of game action. That self ordering power by Cancelo see you at the game. Command this family. Now let's start to show.
Speaker 1: The man this family for our Next Man Up. Got a Bama boy in the building man. Another one, our guy, our defensive tackle for Darien maddis Darien.
Speaker 2: How you doing, brother, good?
Speaker 3: I'm doing good, Bro.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you.
Speaker 3: For being here. Man.
Speaker 1: We know you busy brun like me, and you have never actually got to sit and wrap like like this.
Speaker 2: We did a car sholder as it come out yet, but we ain't really got to really really kick it, man.
Speaker 1: So I want to start in the beginning because you know we've had to be robb On and like y'all Bama boys just different.
Speaker 2: Man, sooning about y'all Bama cats. I want to know what is it?
Speaker 1: What is it that gets y'all so ready for the NFL because y'all come in game ready.
Speaker 2: What about Bama does that for y'all?
Speaker 4: I really just say the journey, bro. Like coming in as a freshman, I think with Coach Saban, he did a good good job was just taking us through the process. You know, freshman year, sophomore year. By that time, some guys come in ready freshman year, but by your sophomore year, junior year, you should be developed, you know, just by being in his system.
Speaker 2: Sure, when did you feel fully developed?
Speaker 4: H I tell you my junior year for sure, I started to develop more, you know, just being around, you know, in his presence, you know, learning how to learning how to become a young young adult, you know, just being around his presence. And I think by by time my junior year coming around, I was much more so mature, more, you know, older, more like understood the game more. And I say about that time, for sure.
Speaker 1: And you were a dog in college so much so you end up being the second round pick when you get drafted in the second round. But Washington, do you realize the pressures that come with being such a high pick in that moment? Uh?
Speaker 4: I say it most definitely was a lot of pressure because you know, everybody got.
Speaker 3: Their own their own view of you. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Some people got high expectations for you, and some people also, you know, they got their own opinion like, oh he shouldn't have been there, woo woo. But at the same time, you know, you just got to keep your faith in God and just accept the consequences that come with it, good or bad.
Speaker 1: When you look back at that, what would you say at that point your expectations for yourself.
Speaker 4: Was well, really just you know, come out in ball, you know my first year, you know, I got you know, I ended up getting injured my first game. Then second year I went through the same process. So really just it was really I just had I had big hopes. You know, I was excited, you know, I was feeling good. You know. Then just everything went downhill. So I had to just like a whole reset. You know. It was a reset for sure.
Speaker 1: And you talk about these big hopes you have, and I'm like, let's paint it, man. I think it was like the fourth or fifth play of your first game where you went out and you were out for the season, and you have these hot hopes, you have these expectations for yourself. What goes through your mind when you have the injury? They tell you, hey, man, your season's over with Man, how do you deal with that moment?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 4: Man, it was a lot like just depression. Bro's going through that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm more so a I said, popular loner when it comes to stuff like that. Uh, I was just depression, Bro. It was so much built up. Just I stopped coming to means I just wanted to be by myself. So just after dealing with all that, it was more like, man, let me get back into it more. You know, I started coming back around more, started filling in the presence of my teammates and stuff like that. So I think just being around them they kind of helped me. Brought me out of my shell a lot, for sure.
Speaker 1: And when you depress, man, it's hard to even get to that point where you go around your teammates again and let them allow you to get yourself out of your shell. So how did you get to that point? How did you get through this depression and get out of that dark place?
Speaker 4: Just talking to doctor Robertson, you remember her great, Yeah, she kind of helped me get up out of that. She's just just talking to her every day, you know, we had though it was one on ones where she helped me cope with the pain that I was going through, you know, all the depression and so just you know, being around guys like John bro I think he was the and for sure one of the big brothers like I played that role. Was just encouraging me to do things better, you know, just you know, take my time. Just you're gonna be like, you're gonna be bad, bro, Just just be patient, be patient, you know. So it's just guys like tying and pain and fail. They're just keeping me keeping my head up, for sure.
Speaker 1: So having that game and those tools in your toolbox already after that first injury, then when you get your second injury in year two, did it reset again or were you already able to kind of deal with it because you knew that you had dealt with this before. Uh?
Speaker 4: Nah, I mean it kind of just went back. It's like dang. It's like, damn, I can't catch a break. I'm like, dang, what's going on. It's like, dang, rather don't supposed to be here. It's like it's so many questions you just go through, you know what I'm saying. But then again, you know that just played the role of me just getting closer with God. I started getting closer with God. I just started praying more, just started, you know, just give them more time to God. And then I just say, like, just this shit, I just been the health has I ever been, you know what I'm saying. I changed my life around a little bit. You know, I had to move different, had to you know, changed the way I was doing things. And I think they played a big role in it, for sure.
Speaker 1: And I mean it's clearly worked out, man, Because it's very interesting. You're one of the few holdovers from the last regime, right Like they came in and they cleaned house, but they kept a few guys. They kept those guys that they know were dogs. What did it mean to you to have that voter confidence from this culture staff that did not draft you, this ownership that did not draft you, and they say, you know what, we're gonna keep you here in ball.
Speaker 4: With For sure, it meant a lot because just going all the way back to the summertime, Bro, it's just all the work report, it's my d line coaches. They believed in me so much. They played a big role on me just coming out my shell this year. You know, I feel like I improved because of them. You know, they gave me the confidence that I have now. Just for them bringing out the confidence, it just it means a lot, you know what I'm saying? Because I want to, don't I say, like two years ago, I want I want the same field that I am today, for sure?
Speaker 1: And you keep using the word confidence, man, So I'd love to hear what your definition of that. When it comes to you and the way you play the game, you keep seeing you got that confidence back.
Speaker 2: Where is your confidence at right now?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 4: Man, it's I ain't like my confidence there, It's like it's through the roof. Like you know, two years ago, I wouldn't have a confident confidence that I have today with my d line coaches, for sure. And confidence to me is just knowing you can go out there and do your job. You're gonna beyond selfish, you know, put it on the line for the team and just you know, just be a team player and just also just locked in on my keys, locked in on the things I gotta do, uh to contribute to the team, for sure.
Speaker 1: And being a team player in year three means that you're starting to become a veteran yourself, right And you got a young guy and Johnny Newton that gets drafted, another second round pick comes in, also deals with an injury right out the gate. Man, how were you there to help him out and kind of talk to him because again you lived that same life.
Speaker 4: For sure. I was most definitely, most definitely gave him advice on you know, the things not to do, you know, just like the things I went through. Like I just told him, Man, you gotta stay around, don't go often, you know, in your own lane, trying to deal with it by yourself. Most definitely, just stay around with the guys, you know, keep coming to means, you know, just stay stay in the building, you know, keep your presence felt. Because when you got people like that in your corner, like the guys we have on this team, you'll be you gonna be just fine.
Speaker 1: And now he's healthy, and now you guys get to line up with each other, and you guys are both getting a lot more minutes now that johnsan Allen, you know, went down, and you're getting those opportunities, you're getting those reps. Man, what has it been like being able to finally be on that field, being able to finally show what you can do.
Speaker 4: I feel good, you know, it's a blessing. But I also know, you know, guys like well, the the giant John injury, it kind of helped us out a lot because, I mean, we get more snaps, but at the same time, we get to show John that we got his back. You know, we're not gonna let him down even though he gone through that. We had to step up, like it was a big call for both of us. You know what I'm saying to step up at this time because we really needed John, you know what I'm saying. With him going through the injury, it kind of it could have been a setback if he wasn't ready, you know, it could have been a real setback if we weren't ready. And I think d line coach is prepared as well to step up, for sure.
Speaker 1: And it sounds like John helped you be prepared as well, like you said, like he was a big reason why you were able to get through that injury. Have you been able to be there for him while he gets through this injury, because it's a lot different when you're deep in your career and you suffer injury like that for sure.
Speaker 4: Like I just I think it was like two days ago, I was just around him. It was in a lunch room, and I remember him telling me this when I was hurt. He was like, I feel what you eat now he was dying and I was like, ah, we had getting fat now woking up.
Speaker 2: So I was rounding him.
Speaker 4: That And also just like how he was telling me when I was young, he was like, man, just stay around, and you know, he just had a kid and stuff. So I understand that too. But John also still be in present. You know, he's still been around, you know, just showing his face and just also giving us tips and keys on you know, what he see from us on film for.
Speaker 1: Sure, and that's got to be so helpful for such a young defensive line room. And one someone else has got to be helpful. Darryl Tap, that is my favorite person probably walked around to this building. All you gots smile on you frohim. Can you talk about Dryl Tapping what you've been able to see from him as a defensive line coach and what he's really done for this defense.
Speaker 4: And he done a lot, you know, not just for the defense, but I mean not just for the D line, but also for this whole defense man. His presence, I think, you know, the president that he bring into the into that room. Br he uplifted the guys. He give us so much confidence in ourselves. You know, I think he been a big impact on me for sure, you know since he got here, because he just installed instill in started Like I know, I lost the confidence in the first two years. So it was like when he came and like, man, I just want to play, you know, he make you want to play for him, you know, what I'm saying, He just make you want to like, oh, you just want you know the type of coach did lay it on the line.
Speaker 2: For, sir.
Speaker 4: He one of those guys that I just laid on the line for because I know he giving me so much tools to use out there on Sunday nights.
Speaker 1: And it seems like this coaching staff is full of that Sharif, Floyd, Willie Gay. And then you have a Joe Wid junior who's being a defensive coordinator for the first time. Man, show some of the Joe Wid Junior because I know his impact on you guys on off the field.
Speaker 4: Joey, He's doing his thing for sure.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I just everything I say is just like when it goes back to confidence.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 4: They they believe in me so much and I can feel it and it just gives me confidence. So just with Coach Wig, Coach Sharif, Coach Tap and Okay man, they give me so much confidence in myself. It's like, damn, I ain't really ain't believe in it like that. So it's just like it just boosts me up to just keep going. You know what I'm saying. They believe in me so much, and they just give me so much high praise, you know, even when the other people don't. So it's just like I love them for that and I'm always gonna appreciate that for just giving my confidence back for sure.
Speaker 1: Well you've earned it, bro, You've come out there and you've earned it. You've heard the coaches say like how hard you've worked, and you could have easily signed off, man, but you stayed in and you kept grinding.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: So last question for you, because you said it. Everybody has expectations for you. Everybody has this type of player that they think you are. But now that you're healthy, now that you're feeling good in your confidence is back. Looking at camera right there, and tell the fans what type of player it's for, Darien Mathis.
Speaker 4: Oh, Man, I'm a doll. You know, It's always been in me. You know, it's always been there. It's just you know, you know, people have setbacks.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I'm a doll.
Speaker 4: Bro. You know I'm gonna fill out those gups for the all linebackers and I'm just gonna continue to keep improving. You know, I'm not there. Yeah, I'm not perfect, but I'm gonna continue to get better and we're gonna just continue to live this defense up week by week.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: Hey, brother, we have appreciated having you on man. It's been so much fun watching on that field.
Speaker 2: Do your thing.
Speaker 1: The energy you bring, Man, and you bring it means a lot to us in this fan base for Darien Man, I appreciate your.
Speaker 2: Time, brother, so I appreciate it. I appreciate you Man.
Speaker 1: This episode of Next Man Up is brought to you by Cantlope, Proud Kiosk partner of the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 2: We know you hate waiting in lines. We know you do not want to.
Speaker 1: Miss any game action, so we have something for you. Go to the club level at Northwest Stadium and find one of these self served Cantalope Kiosk and place your order.
Speaker 2: Then head back to your seat. You won't miss any of the action.
Speaker 1: You will get your food delivered to you so you can enjoy watching your Washington Commanders. Cantlope is the Proud Kiosk sponsor of the Washington Commanders, making your game days even more convinced, Next Commanded standing for our Next Man that we have somebody very very special drafted in the second round as a tight end, went to USC at Cali Boyd. We got drafted by the Washington Redskins, and now he's back to show love and talk about his memories welcoming a tight end Fred Davis for how you doing?
Speaker 2: Brother?
Speaker 3: Good? Good? How you doing? Thank you for having me on man.
Speaker 1: Appreciate oh man, you know I always appreciate you all time, and it's always great to have, you know, ex Redskins come back and talk about the glory days.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: So let's let's start from the beginning. Like I said, you was a U, a sea cat.
Speaker 1: You bought out so much out there, you got drafted in the second round. And back then tight ends weren't really getting drafted super high was very rare. So getting drafted in that second round. Let's go back there, Man, what was going through your head? Did you know you would be drafted so high? Did you know you were going to be a Reskin?
Speaker 3: Man? I had no idea.
Speaker 5: And you know what's so funny about that is like when you're in that process, I mean I didn't know that teams take you for visits, other teams take you for visits for other teams, and just to play that draft game.
Speaker 3: So I got.
Speaker 5: I mean, the teams that took me on visits was the Saints, the Cowboys, Arizona, and the Jets. So I had no idea, you know, that I was going to be drafted to the Redskins. My agent didn't even mention it, like even one time. But then again, when I the retrospective looking at it, and I know how the draft goes, Now, everything is about the best player on the board in that moment, So anybody could have a selection of a draft pick, but that could change in a matter of a moment depending on who's getting drafted before him. So I learned that later, like, but then at that moment, no, I had no clue. I was coming off of a season with the Trojans with Pete Carroll where we had already came off of a couple of national championships. We lost that one to Texas, and then we went to the Rose Bowl and we beat Illinois.
Speaker 3: So that was my last game, and after that it was.
Speaker 5: Just straight training and getting ready and getting ready for the Combine and also like the players meetings and all that kind of stuff. So when I went to the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, I never met with the Redskins, I think even once, So it was definitely a shot for me.
Speaker 3: I knew that I had a feeling that I.
Speaker 5: Was gonna be one of the players the top two or three tight ends taken because of I mean, I won the Macie Award that year.
Speaker 3: We had a good season, My stats were pretty good, so.
Speaker 5: I knew that I was probably I knew I thought I had a chance of getting in the end of the first round. But you know, coming out, you know, I think they thought a lot of guys from college. I mean, they've drafted a lot of guys in the past from the USC, but a lot of the stigmatism about us is that were Hollywood and that we like to party and all that stuff, which in LA you have the option to do a lot of things, you know, I mean, it's LA, It's Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: But I feel like with the day of the draft, man, I didn't want to go to New York because I was like, if I'm not going to.
Speaker 5: Get drafted first, I don't want to be sitting there looking crazy because you've seen those stories.
Speaker 3: Of guys just sitting there in the came room and like, man, what you doing here? Still? So I just decided to be at home with my family.
Speaker 5: We had about one hundred people at my people's house and we watched the draft. And whenever you're watching the draft, once they get through the first round, it's like, man, you don't know when you're gonna get picked, and everybody's looking at you, like, man, what's gonna happen. So I think when I got that phone call from at the time, Jim Zorn was a coach head coach and he was here. I had him for a couple of years. He called me and at the forty eight pick I seen I went across the TV.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, man, I was just happy to be off the board man at some point, you know.
Speaker 5: I mean, even though it was still kind of early, I was a forty eight pick, and then to see that my other we got two other picks in that second round, and we picked the.
Speaker 3: Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas.
Speaker 5: So we picked three third round, I mean, three second round picks that day, so it was different.
Speaker 3: We normally don't get that many picks in the second round, so it was kind of It's kind of a special moment for sure.
Speaker 1: And you talk about knowing that you were going to be drafted. Right, that takes a moment. Right, it's either that year when you were playing and you would see that final year, or it's maybe even before then. When did you know that you were actually going to make it into the NFL and be able to fulfill that dream, because I'm sure it happened way before you actually got drafted.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think every kid when they leave high school, they think, I'm going to the NFL. But I think, Mama, where I really knew because you when you play on a team like USC or University of Miami or Alabama, you're going against five star guys every day in practice and you're seeing like even your backup could be a starter somewhere else.
Speaker 3: So the competition level, I just.
Speaker 5: Knew, like, Okay, I mean, we got all these first rounds, Reggie Bush winning the Heisman. We had like two three Heisman winners in that five year span, you know what I mean. So I just knew I was around the right talent and at the time, you know, we're not doing that.
Speaker 3: Well right now, but we'll be back. The Trojans we was like top five team every year, you know that year.
Speaker 5: So for me, I just knew, like I'm in the right position to be on the right platform, and then also to have these great coaches around me and these other great teammates, you know, like the Klay Matthews and Dwayne Jerris, Steve Smith, Reggie Bush, Lyndale White's I can go on man, Keith River. We had a squad of guys that went in that first and second round, like almost twenty two guys in the last two years.
Speaker 3: So I just knew I was in the right position.
Speaker 5: And if I can beat these guys every day, you know, you know, winning mar one on ones and play well, I just knew, like, okay, I can make it. But then to answer your question, I would say my sophomore year, I was seeing that, you know, we don't really use a lot of tight end play a lot, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: We're more of a receiver and running back school. The tight end get love, but he doesn't get that much love.
Speaker 5: So I kind of figured, like after I had a good game my sophomore year, like, Okay, I mean, I know I'm not going to get that many balls because we have a lot of receivers.
Speaker 3: Seeing a lot of running, a lot of running game.
Speaker 5: We're gonna use but if I get four or five balls a game in this in this in this system, in this program, oh, I know I can make it for sure.
Speaker 3: And then my.
Speaker 5: Junior year, and of course, and then my senior year when I want the MAC you word, I definitely knew, like, okay, well, they already labeled me the best tight end in the country, so and there's never been one at USC and I felt pretty special about that and it still hasn't been one.
Speaker 3: So I feel good about that. And I was like, yeah, I'm definitely can I'm definitely gonna make it.
Speaker 5: And then after going to the combine and seeing the other guys that I had to be in competition with, not saying that I thought I was better, but I just like, I think I'm better. So I just I just knew, like if anything, you know, a lot of off the field stuff can kind of get guys in trouble.
Speaker 3: I never got in trouble in college, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: I never felt no drug test, but still you can get labeled as a party year or someone that goes out, and I feel like, you know, that's the only thing that would probably make me go later, is like stuff like that, you know, and you.
Speaker 1: Talk about all these things you were able to accomplish that you would see. But then again, you're following in the footsteps of a ton of dogs. You named a bunch of them, and now you're coming to the Redskins where you're a second round pick. There's a lot of pressure that comes with being that high have a pick, especially for a tight end, especially the best tight end in the nation. Right you already have all these designations in the moment. Did you feel that pressure coming here?
Speaker 3: I didn't. I didn't really realize, you know. I mean there's a lot of pressure for.
Speaker 5: A third or fourth round pick, you know what I mean, first and second or like that's like they go they go inside together, like they have expectations of you in that first year, maybe to have some progression or do something for the team those first year, definitely the second year. So for me, I didn't understand that, like the okay, they really because this is another thing. When I got drafted, I was just like, Okay, what tight ends do we have? And I knew Chris Cooley was. I never really watched his game, watch this game because I was on the West coast more, but I knew who Chris Cooley was, and I knew that he was like a pro bowler, a tight end, a great tight end. So at first I was like, yeah, no, it'd be great to be able to learn for something like that. But I just was hoping, like, how are they gonna how are we gonna play?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: Are we gonna play two tight end sets? Are we gonna change the formations up? Are we going to like share time?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? I mean it is his show still, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Because I think of it as like a hierarchy, right, because if he's getting paid, he just got a deal I think around like a couple of years before that for like like thirty or forty million dollars or something like that. So I didn't understand it. I just was wondering at first, why did they pick me? But then I you know, you never know what coaches are thinking or what they're gonna use in packages, So I felt like maybe they had some cool packages for me and Chris to like like playing and be able to play together, because I felt like if me and him played together, I think we would have definitely been one of the best duos for sure.
Speaker 1: What was it like coming into the building when you said you have a guy like Chris Cooley there, Like, what was that initial thing like like when you come you're not you don't know nothing about the DMV, right, you're coming here for the first time, but now you're also coming in knowing your behind almost in the shadow of a tight end that is beloved by the entire team. What was that like, what was your guy's relationship, Like, what was it like, you know, coming in as a rookie year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was interesting, man, because just like you said, just get into this area and then when you go to Ashburn, you don't realize, oh, that's not DC, you know what I mean exactly, it's not DC. But no, that was different first because you know, he's coming from LA and you're living in Landing Down, so it's like a big difference. But other than that, coming in, Chris was a great guy. You know, he was smart. Like one thing I've learned about him was like, you know, he would help me for sure. He wasn't one of those guys to try to, you know, tell you the wrong play or you know, if he wasn't gonna help you, he wouldn't say nothing at all, which I respected, you know, because you want you to do it yourself and learn yourself, because a lot of guys get a guy that would tell him the wrong shit and have him fuck up on purpose because he's a rookie, or you feel like he's coming in here to take your position. You know what I mean, Because when you get draft a guy, draft a guy second round when you probably had other needs that year.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, it's either two things.
Speaker 5: You either trying to replace somebody or trying to trade somebody, or it could be a lot of different business position, business things that could be going through the team's mind at that moment. For me, I just was like, I'm just gonna keep my head down and just try to be the best I can be, and Chris would help me a lot, you know, just watching him, man, he was just a smart guy. He knew everybody's position, not only the tight end position. He knew what every receiver had to do, what the backs had to do. And being around a guy like that, most guys just know their position and maybe one other position.
Speaker 3: Chris was like a quarterback out.
Speaker 5: There and he knew where to be at all times, everywhere to be, and learning that from him was really important, and then also learning technique on being a smaller tight end that has to block these guys, you know, like the d Wears two times a year and these other big d ns that are pretty they're pretty big guys, so technique would be everything. And I think I learned a lot, to be honest with you, a lot about blocking from him, because I think I became a pretty good blocker at one point for the Redskin because of Chris. To be honest, you know, I already had the receiving skills down, but the footwork of blocking and being able to stay on the guy to get the back through the hole and not put your butt in a hole, and a lot of from other techniques I definitely learned from him.
Speaker 1: And what a guy to learn from when you think about being a rookie, Like we have a rookie in Ben Sinon right now who's learning from a guy like Zach Ertz. So when you think about your rookie year, you think about the game Chris Cooley was giving you.
Speaker 2: What is one piece of advice.
Speaker 1: He gave you that you would give to a fellow rookie tight end or a younger guy.
Speaker 3: Well, he knew that, you know, every player is anxious to play.
Speaker 5: Man, you know what I'm saying, You want to get out there, you want to contribute because you got here for a reason. He's just saying being patient, you know what I mean. Basically just being patient and let the game come to you. I think letting the game come to you and not getting frustrated. I think it's the best advice you can give somebody, because sometimes you try to force the game to come out, you know what I mean, instead of just letting it come to you and just making the plays that you can make. Because one thing about office of coordinator, if you're making plays, they're going to continue.
Speaker 3: To get you that in that position, or they'll try to make ways.
Speaker 5: If a good office coordinator will try to make ways so that you touch the ball, you know what I mean. So I think that's very simple, just you know, just letting the game come to you and actually study in film because.
Speaker 3: A lot of guys, you know, when you come from college.
Speaker 5: You study film, but you know, at the quarterback position, but the tightening position, you study film, but you don't have that much to study when you're like separate like fronts and maybe in some coverages, but you can easily get away with not studying and still being able to play a good football game at tight end. I think him he made me realize how important knowing what opponent you're going against each week, you know, the different variables they can bring because every player is different. You know, you might got a guy that is a speed, quick guy, you might got a guy that's a power rush guy. You know, just the different nuances of the players that you can probably go against. I think the studying really is the film rooms. That's one of the major ones that I feel. I definitely he really put implemented in me because I watched how much he knew, you know, he could he could see something before the coach see it and then go to the coach and be like, hey, I'm seeing this look right now. This is what I see on the field and stuff like that. Being able to do that helps a lot, makes the game easier, makes it slower when it's already fast.
Speaker 1: And it didn't take long for you to get comfortable. Because I believe in like twenty eleven, you had your best year of your career. Of course you were with the I believe you got Offensive Player of the Year for the Redskins that year too. It's very interesting year because you had your trials and tribulations, but then you still balled out. You still got that recognition at the end, Man talk about that twenty eleven season and what you remember from that and what that was like being such an integral part of this offense, and so.
Speaker 5: To say you's something else like before that happened, like the two thousand and eight season, they didn't know how to use both of us, right, And that's one of the things that I was worried about, and that kind of got me frustrated, right.
Speaker 3: I was really frustrated.
Speaker 5: Because I was like, I know I can play right now, I'm doing it in practice. I'm like literally killing our first team every day in practice.
Speaker 3: Like Cooley would.
Speaker 5: Come to me be like, man, I don't know why they're not using us in two tight end sets. But you know, at that point, you had a coach like Jims Oorn no offense to him. He's never been a head coach before, and he was taking on a position from being a quarterback coach to office Cordinerd now being thrown in the head coaching position with a whole bunch of guys were different in that time in our team, I felt we had a whole bunch of different personalities.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of different personalities.
Speaker 5: I mean, so that first year, I don't know, I probably had like a couple hundred yards nothing crazy. But then the second year is when I knew I was supposed to be here because in two thousand and nine, you know, and this is a story that I tell people because it helped me a lot. It'd be a guy like this on your team sometimes you need to listen to. I was with Chris Samuels and me and him became really close. Chris Samuel's office Lineman, ten time pro bowler. You know, he just seen me one day on the sideline pouting and I think a lot of guys do this that are young, right, And I would say, like I was just out there pouting, like, man, this is bullshit, Like I know, I'm supposed to be in here. I'm just catching balls and I don't wish no ill will, no nobody get hurt or nothing like that. But that game, he just said, man, you know one thing about the NFL. You gotta stay ready and be ready. Doing this ain't gonna help you. Gotta be ready. And stay ready and man, when he said that to me, I was like, you know what, You're right, I got to be professional and even if I'm not getting what I wanted this moment in.
Speaker 3: A selfish way, I still should be a team player, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And I think I had a realization moment because the older guy was telling me that that I respected and then not saying I wanted that. But that next play that game, Chris Cooley goes down with a broken foot. Right, So that two thousand and nine season, I start the whole second half of that season and I put up like five touchdowns six hundred yards, five hundred yards or something like that. For me, that was my breakout. I mean, my biggest year was two thy eleven. But for me, that was a breakout for me because no one expected it. And then I mean, well they expected it from me, but the way the season was going, it didn't look like they were coming to They weren't kendlon to where they were understanding that me and Chris.
Speaker 3: Can both play at the same position.
Speaker 5: It would cause a lot of defensive issues because you don't know if you have to have a safety out there, a corner out there, and that could change a game. But once that happened to me, that was like a realization like, Okay, I'm supposed to be here and I can make plays against these guys in the league, and I could and I could make plays back to back weeks if they give me the opportunity.
Speaker 3: So that was a wake up moment for me to be honest. And then, as you know, coach Dorn gets fired and.
Speaker 5: We have a whole different regime coming in kach Shanahan.
Speaker 3: And it gets me to twenty eleven because that in.
Speaker 5: That moment, Kochhanahan was I mean, he was cleaning house, you know what I mean. It didn't matter if he was a second round, third round guy, if you didn't perform in practice or you didn't play to his expectations or was trying to be that type of player.
Speaker 3: Oh, he was getting rid of you.
Speaker 5: You know, I've seen a couple third rounders go second round or go even an older.
Speaker 3: First rounder go. So I just knew, like, Okay, this is a new regime.
Speaker 5: They probably don't want to they don't They didn't pick me, so they probably don't want me here.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna have to bust my ass every Day.
Speaker 5: And so that season we got Donna McNabb of course from the Eagles, But that season is when I feel like we first started having really like real stability as a team, where there was structure, where there.
Speaker 3: Was you could feel the structure from Shanahan.
Speaker 5: So coming into that twenty eleven season, I mean, they got rid of Donovan and we had a quarterback controversy with Beck and Rex Grossman.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 5: It was just it was a crazy season, man, because that training camp I came down. I came in a little bit slimmer, more of a receiver south, you know what I mean. I lost probably about five or ten pounds that first that training camp. They I think the coaches knew, like, oh yeah, he's coming in. This is like my third this is like this I'm coming into my fourth year rush. So I'm at and now I'm at this point in my life where I feel like I'm a veteran too.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: I feel like most guys don't get past four years. So if I'm getting to this point, I got to start showing people how I need to be here and like why I should be one of the top tight ends in this league.
Speaker 3: And I feel I can be. I mean this year, they didn't.
Speaker 5: You know, this is the same year they cut Chris after halfway through the season, which kind of sucked because I did want him to be there in this moment.
Speaker 3: Too, But they, I guess they didn't see it happening.
Speaker 5: And I was making plays that year, man, I was making a lot of plays in training camp. And then when we still had a quarterback controversy a little bit because Rex started half the season, Beck started half the season, it was, you.
Speaker 3: Know, you can never get really truly truly comfortable.
Speaker 5: But even though with that or without, I mean, I put up pretty good numbers in that year. I put up probably like eight hundred yards receiving in like six or seven touchdowns, and I like missed four games.
Speaker 3: So to me my.
Speaker 5: Projection, I felt like I could have got like least eleven hundred twelve hundred yards receiven that year if the situation was right. But like I said, I got suspended that year. I was having a coming out party that year. It's just happened to be that I made a bad choice, you know what I mean. And I like to talk about that because I think it's important for people to hear it. I think that year is the same year me and Trent actually got suspended the last four games, you know, for smoking marijuana, which in our young minds, you know, we just didn't want.
Speaker 3: To do Tour it All shots.
Speaker 5: We didn't want to be stuck on Perkinset, we didn't want to be stuck on Xanax.
Speaker 3: We didn't want to because.
Speaker 5: That's what happens to a lot of guys, right, I mean, it happens to a lot of guys, and then when you get away from it, the team would say it's not my fault. But at the end of the day, that guy does become addicted to those drugs, and for me, I just felt.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, marijuana kind of helped me relax.
Speaker 5: And you know, as you see now, they're changing the rules in the NFL, you know what I mean, They're changed me tremendously because what I did before. You're not saying I'm still wrong for doing it, because he's breaking the rules, is breaking the rules.
Speaker 3: But what I did before would not even get me suspended, you know.
Speaker 5: So it's just the right time, in the wrong in the wrong moment, and I feel like that mistake kind of fucked this up a lot.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Definitely me, because I'm coming off a year where I could be making life change of money again and I made a mistake and I put my team in jeopardy and I wasn't there for them, to be honest, like, in that year, we could have still come probably won some more games, you know what I mean. And I feel like in my position at that moment, getting guys to trust you, like the Shannonhans and all these other people like that, shit goes a long way. And I feel like in that moment, I kind of messed up a little bit. You know, I messed up a lot, actually, but I got to come back and regain their confidence and come back for.
Speaker 3: Another two years. So I felt good about that.
Speaker 1: And you're going through, like you said, like you're making a name for yourself. You're going through this, and then you get this four game suspension. You said it yourself. You feel like it's slowed down your stat line.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean because I was on track to get like, yeah, I was a thousand yards, like eleven hundred yards that.
Speaker 2: Year, easily over one thousand yards that year. You will fast that.
Speaker 5: With four games left, I mean, the NFL, you can't guess because you never know, you could have a bad week.
Speaker 3: The NFL is any given Sunday.
Speaker 5: But the way I felt that year and how I was starting to feel towards the end of that year, the confidence I was gaining, Yeah.
Speaker 3: It just made me feel like it's possible for sure.
Speaker 1: And early in this interview you had mentioned it. You said, guys quickly get labeled. He's a partier, Oh, he's a poethead, lay off the weed, and things like that, especially back then because it was so different after that first incident, Do you feel like you were labeled something like after you got into that trouble, do you feel you were ever ever going to be able to shake that label of a guy that maybe couldn't be relied on or a guy that maybe was being irresponsible or breaking the rules.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I did feel like to shake it, you know, because the Redskins still wanted the franchise tag me after that, so I knew, like, Okay, they see my value. I was putting up top five numbers that year, and that can kind of feed into your egle too, because you don't really sit back and know, like, hey, you don't really get too many chances with these people to make them trust you, and you gotta have not only that if I'm gonna be a top player on my team, my teammate should be trusting me too.
Speaker 3: Now, you know.
Speaker 5: And do I feel like there was a label? Of course, I think I had a label before that, you know what I mean. But that just helped this little fight even more.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: He's a younger guy in the league, but he's making dumb mistakes, you know what I mean at this point, you know what I mean, he should be making He shouldn't be making those type of mistakes, you know what I mean, those type of choices or decisions. Now when you look after the next year, I mean, yeah, I mean they probably would have. I probably could have put myself on the market. But if I didn't get suspended, but I'm still the rest can still have the rights to me. So they offered me a franchise deal, and of course that's like, well, okay, you're getting top five money for one year, but that means that means that's a proven deal.
Speaker 3: That means I don't really trust you really, and that.
Speaker 5: Just shows you, like you know what I'm talking about, Like you can't get label because now it's like, okay, well show me differently and I'll give you what you think you want, and then we want to see and everything is going to the eyeballs. Be on your course because you're an investment. And at the end of the day, they don't want to make the wrong choice. And you know what I mean, because you get stuck in these deals with these guys. Back then, guys weren't doing three year deals. You know, if they were doing that now, it'd be different, you know what I mean they doing. They was doing five year deals, six year deals, you know, stuff like that. So the game has changed where now a guy you can get them for two or three years and then just like, you know what, this wasn't the right decision.
Speaker 3: I don't have to stay with this decision. I can move on from this decision.
Speaker 5: But the guy might make a little bit more money, but still I don't have to stay attached to this person. So that year, I think I had Drew Rosenhouse at the time, I was in Miami training.
Speaker 3: I was like, you know what, I'm just gonna come back train hard as hell.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna you know, you gotta get tested every like every like almost every two to three weeks that you got to do at the drop of a dime. If you're not there in three hours, that would come as a suspension, even if I wasn't stuck in traffic. So you do have to do things to make yourself seem responsible to the league and to your team. So it's not like you just get to chill and hang out. No, you get tested every you gotta go. You gotta go to a therapist every week, you know what I mean. So it's things that steps you got to take, and you got to continue to do that until you're out of the program, which will be a year and a half for me at that point.
Speaker 3: So I to ask you a question, Yeah, I knew I could.
Speaker 5: Check that situation because I just knew like my team value me, you know, talking to the coaches and to Bruce Allen at the time. He was telling me like, you know, this is a bad choice you made. You were one of my favorites. I have a lot of hope in you. So that kind of gave me clarity too, you know, when you got your head coaches and your GM talking to.
Speaker 3: You like that.
Speaker 5: So I knew I could do it, but it just it was just really come up to me to come down to me.
Speaker 1: And you had a few trials and tribulations in your career, you have an achilles injury, you have all of these things take place while again you are showing the world how how capable you are, how great you are. Do you feel that NFL fans at the league that the world got to really see how special Fred Davis the NFL player was.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think.
Speaker 5: I think I think they seen like pieces of it, you know what I mean, Because it all comes down to a lot too, you know, I mean even that year, right, I tear my achilles. That following year, I mean, in those first four games, I got three hundred and fifty nine yards. I'm on track now to do that again, you know what I mean. It's like you about to do the same thing over again. It's like from the way we were playing and the way that I felt they were trusting me with the offense, and that Giants game, I already had about three hundred and fifty nine yards. It's only game four. I'm the leading receiver on our team. And we got some greats on our team. We got Pierre, we got Santana, you know what I mean, And I just felt like, man on this path.
Speaker 3: Boy.
Speaker 5: Even if I didn't get that thousand before, I put up eight, and then if I put up a thousand this year, that's that's that's putting in a couple of years back to back. That's pretty you know, top five in the in the league at that moment. But that kind of that set me back, man, really really bad, you know, because I didn't expect that. You know, you never do expect that. Again, I didn't even I didn't even know I tore my killies until I went in the back. I mean, it just feels like somebody kicked you.
Speaker 3: You don't even know.
Speaker 5: And yeah, man, it was a big setback because the partest thing about an injury, depending on injury, is just the time out, you know, the mental the mental part of it, because you can as physical strong as you want, but the mental shit beat you up. Am I gonna be the same player when I come back? And am I gonna feel the same? Am I gonna be the same?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: It's just a lot of.
Speaker 5: Things that a lot of things that negative that get in your head and you got to try to be positive about And I don't think that a lot some people are good at handling it. Some others are not as well.
Speaker 3: I don't think. I think I handled it well.
Speaker 5: But I think the mental part is sitting out because I'm a I have to I like to be on the move. I like to be a part of things, So to have to sit out it probably pretty.
Speaker 3: It beat me up pretty mental.
Speaker 5: It's pretty much mentally, And I think for guys getting hurt that's the hardest thing because it's not just about getting back, it's really about the mental aspect of it.
Speaker 1: And how do you get over that hurdle? Because again, you're going through all these things. But now, I mean, you clearly got through, right, you're a businessman. Now you've moved on with your life. You still had, you know, a great career in the NFL. But how did you get over those mental hurders? Because there's people listening going through their own life hurdles right that don't even have to do with football.
Speaker 2: How did Fred Davis get through that?
Speaker 3: Man? To be honest, just getting back to my basics.
Speaker 5: Really, you know, when you have a lot of yes man you or friends or people from the outside telling you what you think you should do. I think I just took a little break from just like what I normally did, because I mean when I go out and parties, and yeah, I will go out parties sometimes drink some times. But then when you do a little bit too much where you're doing it without even thinking about having fun, you're just out here just coasting where you're just like, okay, I just want a distraction.
Speaker 3: That's when it becomes a problem.
Speaker 5: And I think just me having a time to really sit down and be quiet with myself instead.
Speaker 3: Of not no family members, not no friends.
Speaker 5: None of that, just me and my own thoughts really and just understanding what I truly want to do, and you know, understanding where I'm at in my life and how I got here and just appreciate it, because sometimes this moves so fast you don't get a time to really appreciate it. You go from being drafted to next year you're on a team to now you got to get ready for the season, and you barely had a rookie off season because you're a rookie, so.
Speaker 3: It's like you don't really get to slow down.
Speaker 5: And then when you put your own life on top of that, where you're not slowing down, you don't really get to sit back and appreciate the moment in the hand and see what's really going on until it's too late or to something tragic happens or maybe a mistake.
Speaker 3: But I feel like just having that time to yourself to really process.
Speaker 5: Your thoughts and really understand who you are and where you want to be at or what you want to do, even in this league, because if you don't have a plan and you're just out here just like, oh, I'm just gonna let whatever comes to me come to me, it doesn't work. I've seen it with other guys, Like I said, I've seen guys make two hundred million the broken. I've seen guys with a million dollars still got money. It's how you treat it with a plan. So to me, I think that's the most important thing for.
Speaker 1: We appreciate your insight and your game, man, and now we're in a season where things are looking great. Now this is we're recording this before the Dallas game. However, this will be coming out after the Dallas game, so we won't talk.
Speaker 2: About that game so much.
Speaker 1: However, you did say you will be at the game, so just talk to me what it means. Because you stay close to DC, like Cali and DC, Like those are your two homes, and what does it mean for you when you come back to that field, come back to that environment, be around these amazing fans that cheer for you for so long.
Speaker 2: Man, how excited are you to be back at the crib.
Speaker 5: I'm just excited because you know, we have we haven't really had a lot of hope in the past years, you know what I mean. I've been a part of some of those teams where we started out six and oh and then the tail off at the end, or started out really bad and win a few at the end.
Speaker 3: I'm just happy to see the.
Speaker 5: Fans, you know, because last time we went to playoffs in twenty fourteen and I was there for that, and the energy there was crazy, Like they just want to win so bad, you know what I mean. It's been so long and it's due, you know. I'm just happy to see when I go there, just the energy, you feel, the love, You feel that you can tell they're excited about the season.
Speaker 3: You just see you can feel the energy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Like just even with the players, you know, they look like they believe that they could win, which is always important and it gives hopes to the fans and to see that we have more people in our stadium that are our fans and the other teams fans.
Speaker 3: That's the most important.
Speaker 5: Thing because that for a little bit there we're starting to tail off in the end. But now our fan our fan base is starting to come back. And there's nothing like a Redskins slash Commanders fan. But the Commanders, there's nothing like that, you know what. I mean to see those because they love their team, they love for and just to go to the stadium and you know, like I said, to beat these teams and to have the season that Jaden Daiels was having.
Speaker 3: And Terry scary Terry and Arts.
Speaker 5: The tight end, and then the running game and Robinson and that defense is playing pretty well.
Speaker 3: I just think it's a great thing and it's fun. It's fun to watch and it's fun to be a part of.
Speaker 1: There is no better place to be on a football Sunday than the DMV. Fred Davis, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Appreciate your testimony and just being so honest with us.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: We got to have you back on off for like you know, we and you could dive into a lot more things but for Fred, I appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: Brother.
Speaker 3: Definitely be back brother for sure.
Speaker 2: For sure for show. Yes, Sir, Commanders family, this is our Next Man Up.
Speaker 1: Tight End played his whole career with the Redskins, My guy, Fred Davis.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you, brother, Thank.
Speaker 3: You, brother, appreciate it man. Thanks for having.
Speaker 2: Me command this family. I hope you've enjoyed this episode of Next Man Up. Now.
Speaker 1: If you want to catch our old episodes, you can on the Commander's YouTube page or stream the audio wherever you get your podcasts. I am Brian Cople Junior and this is Next Man Up. Catch you on next Friday. Cancelope is the proud Kiosk partner of the Washington Commanders, making your game day experience more convenient,