Speaker 1: Watch up and welcome back to another episode of No Sealers Podcast with your hosts Now fuck that with your low glasses Malone, because I had some crazy thoughts from yesterday, but I just been going through this crazy shit for the last twelve months.
Speaker 2: It's just been crazy.
Speaker 1: And it's funny because I forgot Kiki was coming with Sega, right, So it's like, Dope, Dad, Kiki here, right, Kiki Lok shout out to everybody who don't know with Kiki Lok legendary West Coast foundation of gangster rap. Feel me somebody important in my life since I've been a kid. You know what I'm saying, Just all around talent, true blue go look it up, do your homework.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. But it's important because more than anything, Mute that phone was that this is just yeah, somebody that's foundational to me and hip hop that understood it way before I understood it, and all of the above. So I thought it was dope to have everybody here.
Speaker 1: So my little bro here, my big bro here, Tommy Shagging here, my brother Saga, the whole team show.
Speaker 2: It's like dope, I told hid to come on today.
Speaker 1: I never usually have Head come on here, because I don't really have too much shenanigans, Like I don't really do shenanigans, like I really be thinking about the shit I be saying. All my shit be in good faith, even if people think I'm crazy, because it'd be in good faith, Like I don't really.
Speaker 3: Why does the audience have to suffer them for all these headless podcasts?
Speaker 1: Because Head got his own show and you can go see Head shit on his show. So I really don't try to have Head come over here be fucking up all our craziness. But this was important, and I had a great fucking idea.
Speaker 2: Yo, this is what I was saying here. May fourth should be a day that hip hop celebrates forever. May fourth is the day hip hop won its independence back. May fourth is.
Speaker 1: A day when an invasion, like a tyrant invaded this thing that we call hip hop. You know, fifteen years ago, a tyrant, a foreign tyrant, invaded this thing that we call hipposy. Sound crazy, I know it sounds bad, sound raggedy, but it's truth. Pete a foreign a foreign person, not foreign in land, but foreign and cultural experience foreign, and was able to mask themselves and parade themselves around as the culture.
Speaker 3: Right, huh, a northern imperialist.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to get the land.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying culturally unavailable because they have that same culture up there.
Speaker 2: It's just he's not a part of that.
Speaker 1: Think about it, right, May fourth is today hip hop won its independence back. It actually became a street even elk again thanks.
Speaker 2: To the song not Like Us. That is the day Not Like Us was released.
Speaker 1: And I think every May fourth we need to have a celebration to celebrate hip hop fighting back and winning its independence, no different than they did for the Revolutionary War. This morning I woke up, it was a bunch of people talking about a little brother, about dot Kop, about Kendrick oh Man glasses. You know, he took his moment to celebrate Drake as much, and I thought, as much as the British. It's celebrated on the fourth of July.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you know what I'm saying, that's a good that's a good take straight up.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like, I mean, it's.
Speaker 4: A perversion of the victory. I mean it's like, okay, so what then we're celebrating the chiefs. You know what I mean there, it's just a way to try to pervert or downplay the victory. Like I get you going. But at the end of the day, bro, it's a victory. However you want to paint it that makes you comfortable, you celebrating Drake?
Speaker 5: Okay, cool? Right, cool, that's fine.
Speaker 1: So I was thinking here that we should turn that into the first national holiday in hip hop.
Speaker 5: Don't they didn't. Didn't the white people give us one already?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, like, no, they don't. They try to celebrate. No, they try to celebrate the day hip hop started with a party.
Speaker 5: I feel like there's.
Speaker 3: Gonna get people from New York not terribly pleased with this particular selection.
Speaker 5: I disagree.
Speaker 1: Hold up, yeah, we have somebody from New York, from Queens, New York, my man Trap looming over the chat with his presence and vocals right now, Trap, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: That's around when the wards was fought?
Speaker 6: Though, you know what I'm saying, Back in the days, what was that the Civil War that was fought between the North from the South and ship like that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean so, I'm I mean, yeah, I guess I wouldn't have no problem with that at all.
Speaker 6: You know, what I'm saying, hip hop's independence day.
Speaker 2: We need to figure out a dope name for it.
Speaker 5: So I don't have a name. Okay, So look this is my question, right, Okay, what take So you're saying hip hop when it's independence from what?
Speaker 2: From this foreign hierarchy? It's okay.
Speaker 5: So so.
Speaker 4: As an emulator, but not necessarily the truth cloth cut from it. He knew cold knew what to do to you know, advance and and you know, advance the business and put it all together. You know how to manipulate that well and present it and mimic it. But at the same time, it wasn't of that. It's just like somebody coming to your family or your hood or your block saying, hey, they're looking at everything you do. They're like, oh, this that's cool. That's cool too, that's cool, I'm gonna do it. Oh look look I'm dressed like I'm like, y'all, look I did too. And then but then the real dude from the block comes out because he's talking tough, just like them. So it's like, now you meet up and just it's what the culture is gonna win every time.
Speaker 5: If you're not from there, no seling money, you grew up in it.
Speaker 1: No Selings Live the Lunch Hour every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at noon Pacific Standard time right here on Digital Soapbox. Click that thumbs up button. Let everybody know you in the house. If you're on Twitter, retweet this link. Tell a friend. If you're on Facebook, share this post. Let everybody know you around the spot. We do this live to support the No Sellings podcast. Look below us a link, Click it, listen to it. Apple Podcasts, iHeart Podcasts anywhere you consume your podcast. No Sellings Podcasts Executive produced by charlemagnea God, the.
Speaker 3: What is It Pete and Network.
Speaker 1: Glomorate you feel me shout out to my boy, he said, I agree, And I'm from South Bronx, the home of hip hop the Bronx.
Speaker 5: So again, so you're saying that, you're saying that hip hop was colonized.
Speaker 2: Yes, over the last fifteen years, and black.
Speaker 5: And black and culture took it back May fourth.
Speaker 2: And the street urban cultu urban culture took it. One man street urban culture came and took it back.
Speaker 5: So what's the significance of May fourth from back in the day you said fifteen years ago?
Speaker 2: No, No, May fourth last year.
Speaker 5: Oh got you twenty twenty four?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it was the day I thought you were saying when you started that May fourth was the day before like Drake's first shit dropped. No, so there had been like this occupation for fifteen years from May fourth of twenty ten or whatever the fuck until that ended. But we're just talking about when it ended.
Speaker 2: No, No, May fourth is the day that not like us dropped. Yeah, gotcha, and it stole it took it.
Speaker 1: Y'all gotta understand, this didn't happen for jazz, all right, This didn't happen for jazz. We just lost jazz. There was no fight to keep jazz. There was no fight to keep rock and roll. Mhm, there was no fight to kick this stuff. When when when these people came and colonized the rest of this stuff? Shout out to the people, because I'm not talking about y'all. Y'all did, y'all liked it, and then y'all became it. You know, you gotta invest in what's working, right, You gotta invest in what's working. If you're in business, you gotta invest in what's working. Hip Hop is the first genre of all black music that decided to say we're going to gate keep. Hm, I saw this white man, Frank.
Speaker 2: Stallan, Selvester Stallone's brother when now, mind you, Beyonce didn't get.
Speaker 5: Anything about to say the country because they was I mean, she didn't get.
Speaker 2: Anything the countryward she won Best Country Album at the Grammys, and Frank the Loan stood up and said that lady is not living.
Speaker 1: A country experience. He named a bunch of other country acts that happened to be white. I don't know if it's that's why, but they were white and.
Speaker 2: Even said post Malone like, these people dedicate their whole life to country.
Speaker 3: Which is funny because Frank's not a country guy, a funny guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah right, So it's like I thought about that. I was like, so I'm not crazy.
Speaker 2: Even Frank Stallone was like, you know, hey, you're not from that culture. You are not from the culture.
Speaker 1: So even if somebody likes Frank who's outside of the country culture can notice it.
Speaker 2: I'm not crazy.
Speaker 3: Culture perfect accuracy, it's just it's it's just rot with That's that's one of the funnier I wasn't even aware of that. That's that's one of the like most more layered funny irony statements like real of the recent times.
Speaker 5: Like that.
Speaker 2: I can't knock that, you know.
Speaker 3: Like you really like from like Houston, like that part of that culture area in Houston, like that's it's hard to I mean, you gotta be out like farming in the sticks to be more country culturally than like than Texas. I mean ship.
Speaker 1: Shout out to doctor, thank you for the two dollars. Y'all can celebrate on the West real good down south there.
Speaker 2: You need to get in on this.
Speaker 5: So do you think that so what happens when it gets colonized again, it's gonna I don't think.
Speaker 2: It's going to happen.
Speaker 5: It's gonna happen again.
Speaker 4: I'm going to be not for a long while. It's gonna be a minute. It's gonna be a minute. It's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: You're gonna control.
Speaker 5: Now we just have.
Speaker 4: It's a different perspective of understanding what you have now. What about to the next young generation?
Speaker 7: Do you think they're gonna be aware as much as what we're aware about right now?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. And I'm gonna tell you why. Me and Kiki was just talking about this off air. Shout out to my og on the k Loco. Right, No, it's not just that hip hop is in a weird space. Because if we don't find out the independent business side of this, it's gonna pass. It's gonna it's gonna die off anyway, right, because the production company creates the opportunities for the record labels, like they don't know what else to do.
Speaker 2: They're going to sign whatever we're pushing.
Speaker 1: So they're gonna either sign whatever we're selling them, right, or they're gonna try to get an identity identical version of what we're selling.
Speaker 2: So when they missed on Snoop Dogg, they signed Warren G def Jam.
Speaker 1: I mean, when people miss they go sign you know, That's why regions get hot, That's why people think the West has a chance.
Speaker 2: By the way, right, they feel like the West has a chance. Like, well, Kendrick is popping, he has the sound, and me and Kick was just talking about this.
Speaker 1: There is no West Coast sound. The West Coast what you call sound is built off funk music. We just adopted funk music. Their generation adopted funk music. But KEI gi them listen to all kinds of the music too. Yeah, yeah, I think it's fair to say that the party was more active to funk and that became the foundation of our hip hop.
Speaker 2: But that don't mean it's our sound. We have a pace of life like it is always talks about.
Speaker 3: Though it's all derivatives, it is in the context of hip hop.
Speaker 5: I think it does.
Speaker 4: I think that we do have a sound, though we don't have the way that we put together those sounds sound the way that we sound, yeah know, the way we put together context because because even the G Funk didn't.
Speaker 5: Use it, it was fun.
Speaker 2: The way we use those, we don't really have a sound.
Speaker 3: We talk about regional VPNs.
Speaker 5: Where would you say that?
Speaker 7: Where would you say that you find the way they use the G funk stuff somewhere else besides Detroit.
Speaker 2: Well, remember KEI can tell you firsthand they grew up off EPM D. That was the ship. All my older homies brag about EPMD and they was using.
Speaker 5: Funk, but they were using funk.
Speaker 4: When you take diamond D funk, it's a whole nother it's funk, but it's just the sound of it.
Speaker 5: Articular history.
Speaker 4: One of you hunted the perspective which gives us the West Coast sound.
Speaker 7: Because I mean, I mean I guess you can say this in different eras in ages, because when I think West Coast, I.
Speaker 3: Think them simps.
Speaker 7: I think that, like you said, in the sense because of the era of where I started at in my age group that boom boom, you feel me that that's in a sense considered West Coast in my era. But when you hear something else like that, you're not gonna consider that what you're thinking.
Speaker 3: Bro, you creep shaking your head. I think you're shaking your head at me because usually I'm the wrongest.
Speaker 5: I'm streaking because I have a real issue with this topic, right, so you said I have a super issue with this topic. I just Joe Budd. I was talking to Joe Budd and his minions about this, and because I asked him, I asked him, based on you know, what I've heard, and the conversation I've had is pump it Up. Has he ever heard pump it Up be considered a West Coast record? He said, no, He's never heard that. It's an interesting question. The reason why I asked that is because anything that has tempo to it now, everybody automatically assumes to this West Coast. I don't like that narrative because that's never been the case. I wanted to know when that pivot and when that shift happened. What defines a song that's being quote unquote West Coast or sounding West Coast? Is all based on funk, It's all based on the bass guitar. If the bass line plays a certain way at a certain tempo, that's considered West Coast music because stereotypically and traditionally culturally, our music is based on funk, which is or comes from the bass guitar itself. So you can play other records that are the same tempo but with censitizers in it, Like Bruno Mars uses a lot of you know that that type of sound. His songs are between one hundred and four and one hundred and ten bpm, and those songs are not considered quote unquote West Coast songs. Even a song called Uptown Funk is not considered a West Coast song, and that song is like I think one O seven if my memory serves me correctly. So I hate that narrative. Like even if you listen to Black Eyed Peas, Let's get it started, it's a classic song, right, that's one hundred and five bpm. That bassline, there's a strong bassline and there's two of them, goes boom boom boom boom boom boom. But the way it's played, people don't look at it like it's West Coast. People look at it like a pop record. So the reason why I say I have an issue with that is because music with music around one hundred and ten one hundred epm with a baseline doesn't automatically make it a West Coast song like I hate exactly. I agree.
Speaker 7: I would agree with that one hundred percent, though I would not say that the bpm and bassline determines West Coast.
Speaker 6: Know.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying is it does based on how it played. But the problem is that's for people that people are listening. I'm not saying it does make it West Coast. I'm saying to the percept, the reception and perception of human beings, they perceive it to be a West Coast song. Rick Flair Drip is not one hundred bpm and it has an eight a eight base to it, but Metro made it with trap sounds.
Speaker 3: Again on those like not like it's a corny example because it's been used a million times like from another scenario. It's like like the not all Muslims are terroristball terrorists and Muslims kind of thing, you know, type of like it's like not every time that.
Speaker 5: Song that j head has nothing to do with that statement that was just made.
Speaker 3: It's like, I mean, it's just like not every time West Coast every time.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, but but that's not what I'm saying what people keep saying. So what people.
Speaker 1: Keep saying sounds West Coast, that's not what's happening. Like again, like he just who would you just say? That produced key from New York? There are Whudini Larry Smith used funk like this is a like this is a crap narrative. Remember g thing is just Leon Haywood. I want to do something freaky to you that's not really special to us or nothing.
Speaker 2: That was just something that was happening.
Speaker 1: So a lot of the things that we're getting caught up with on hip hop is what things sound like but sound like it's really a lazy effort to identify something. Shout out to my boy Low Diggs. He used to always have this expression and I use it all the time. To listen clinically is to listen and end right listen and in right. That's the clinical definition of listening. To listen and in to hear is to acknowledge sound. It's without detail. So that's why when like you arguing with a girl and she's not listening, she's hearing you, you're gonna say something. She gonna say what sound like you said, because she's telling you emotion what's happening. She's not taking the detailed listening. So that's my point when I'm saying when we keep saying West Coast hip hop, like West Coast hip hop is not really we built a foundation on funk, but it is not the complete foundation. The tempo and pace of life is more important than actually the genre we use. We can make the same thing with blues, which is how you get MC eight and Compass most morning records.
Speaker 2: We can make the same things with jazz, which is how you get dubbed C you are the one of different things. We can do the same thing with R and B, which is how you get Doctor Dre and a lot of the stuff they were doing early on. It's not just funk, but I get it that people start right there and say it sounds like something, but that's only to the common person who don't understand. There is nothing g funk about next episode. There's not even a funk song.
Speaker 8: But you know what, though, check on the body gonna you're gonna place. What sound sound like? What? Technically hip hop? Nobody don't sound like we're on hip hop?
Speaker 5: African of.
Speaker 8: All them cats that hip hop. That's that's how it started. Yeah, so ain't no rapper sounding like that?
Speaker 5: Sure, bro to touch on what Keith just said, just said, bro, like, if you go back right, what's the song put your hands, put your hands on mine to see. Yeahs runs Buster Runs, that's ninety nine b pm. That has a strong base based presence. But then one hundred bpm. If you go to like Lauren Hill do wop, you know that's on that thing, that's one hundred bpm too. Nobody ever said that that sounded like a West Coast song, you know what I'm saying. So, and that's and that's nothing sounds like that ship So my, that's why I asked the question when I was talking to Joe. It's like, when did this shift? I think it's just a bunch of motherfuckers who don't know what the fuck they're talking about exactly, classifying ship like that's trap exactly. Like if you think of trap music, wasn't even that slow DJ toom when they created trap music. Trap music was between seventy five and eighty eight bpm. It wasn't.
Speaker 4: It wasn't in the sixties, and shit like Bad and Bougie would probably be quote unquote the biggest trap song ever, and that's sixty four bpm.
Speaker 5: But when Tomping Them started that ship, that shit was in the mid eighties, same tempo as New York backpack hip hop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and New York backpack hip hop can go as high as one hundred and ninety nine.
Speaker 1: If you go to Cane, you can go to one ten and one twenty. So the only thing I really resonate when it comes to West Coast sound is what Head talks about when he talks about pace of life. That's the consistency, right, bpm is the consistency.
Speaker 8: Frequency the vibration.
Speaker 2: I was saying, I like that too. If you think about it, right.
Speaker 9: It's like, does that would that be like considered vibe? I hate that word too vibe, So like well, saying something like that, but it's vibe is like dio like that.
Speaker 2: It would you consider that like the what is just like vibration and frequency the mic?
Speaker 8: Because Uh, vibration and frequency got to do with the tempo. So if you go to a party, you don't just plan something that said one hundred ppm and then all of a sudden drop down to forty or fifty just on the fly. Yes, you're doing some type of special set or something, but not as a party to keep the energy of the party gonna erupt. They're gonna be like what the hell?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So would y'all put genres in like situation by bpm?
Speaker 1: Then no, because you can't put jobs the question he said, do you put genres by bpm?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: But I'm saying, I'm asking him to break that question down. What do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: Before I say, can you define genres by how fast the song?
Speaker 6: Is? No?
Speaker 4: No, what defines? But okay, so what defines? So is there like an East Coast sound?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: So there's no step to it. So we're saying, you're saying that's right. So you're saying there's no sounds.
Speaker 7: But if you're saying that everything is defined by if you're not saying that it's not defined by BPM, and you're saying that West Coast music, well you're not saying it's this because it's this BPM or it's this BPM. And I'm saying for me, I would not say a song is vibed or genre or anything by the BPM.
Speaker 1: If I say that, no, that's that's not what we that's not what we Okay, So I'm saying the closest you can get to consistency is that. But you got to remember, right, pace of life matters, how fast people are living their lives.
Speaker 2: But you can't. There's fast blue songs, there's slow blue. So what you call DJ quicker West Coast artists, yes, because he's from Compton.
Speaker 5: But would you say it has a West Coast sound?
Speaker 2: But but but that's a lazy No. I wouldn't say that anymore because like I you say, you would say more like it's generic.
Speaker 4: You would just more so say hey, let's let's let's call it what it is. I mean, funk music. I'm from the roots quin trying to quint.
Speaker 1: Essentially, he's the father of what you would call g funk based off of what the sound is right. Taking that clear song back in eighty eight, playing that baseline over doing tonight is what the quintessential G funk song sounds like. Are we saying G funk is West Coast hip hop? Sure, if that's what you want to say, But I'm telling you the problem is you won't miss headpoint.
Speaker 2: You won't call Bruno Mars G funk.
Speaker 1: No, you won't call a bust around using that seals and cross sample to make put your hands G funk.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't make it. So it's not the fact.
Speaker 7: Because I feel like they're just taking aspects of G funk to put into their day.
Speaker 2: But there is no aspect because it's only funk, right, elements, so elements the element.
Speaker 4: But well, no, it's how it's how G funk uses funk. They're taking the element the way that G funk is. It's a little separate from just regular funk because G funk gonna give you a whole nother, whole nother vibe. They're taking the same, the same it's just a it's just a tree. They're doing the same thing from G funk. Okay, this is how they did funk hm hm instead of doing it like this we're gonna do it like like they did it and.
Speaker 5: The U and the you know display, that's what they think.
Speaker 10: It's real quick. I think the main I think the main thing that's that's the difference between the Trump that they're using. You know, what I'm saying is the different different kicks, different trumps, different trump, different stands, use a different And also we're saying, you know, West Coast, Sam, what if that organ all the time on the home or the or the guitar that use within the sis y'all using the SAT.
Speaker 2: They don't use no other on all the coats. But that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That's but I'm telling y'all because but just listen, trap y'all saying because we use more funk elements.
Speaker 2: That that makes it West Coast.
Speaker 5: I'm saying, how we use the funk elements makes it West, but.
Speaker 2: We don't use them any specific way that they only keeping used one.
Speaker 5: Definitely do because we listen. It's like Kanye, the way Kanye used his sound using.
Speaker 4: What we said, you're just using oldies. Kanye started out using oldies. It was how he used them. It's made that sound which is now Kanye Chicago sound. It is what it is, but it's taking a gang of oldies music. We can say, Okay, well that's not that's not is uh this is so this is R and B because you took.
Speaker 2: From listen, y'all are taking it's the same very it's the same idea to something that's way way way denser. I'm not saying much more dense than you could imagine. Again, we're using the same elements that we didn't create. An element like the lead existed. Like when you listen to Leon Heywood, I want to be that he uses it like nobody using like like like a DJ quick or like what's his name? Battle from Battley? Who else use is everybody?
Speaker 1: Larry Smith is the father of their style, right, so they took Larry Smith and and ma it's not unique, but they did the way they did it.
Speaker 5: They use storyline that was the West Coast.
Speaker 2: Y'are not heard else doing that.
Speaker 5: That's why it sounds cool when when I feel like you know, they're.
Speaker 1: Telling you this is what Kiki just said. Ask them about e PM. If you listen to E P, M D, if you listen to all the other funks, you would hear this thing.
Speaker 5: A lot of artists took the West Coast, saying.
Speaker 1: The norm that doesn't it's not the norm here. Don't nobody everybody don't use okay list when we're talking, y'all got because we're all talking at the same time, so it's one mic, one fee.
Speaker 2: So what I'm saying to you is we didn't invent the lead. We didn't invent that. That's a that's from the funk You weren't as a funk music asset that we took from funk music. So we all using out the same pot of music. We're all using out the same pot of music. We're all using got the same pot.
Speaker 3: A proportional that is so critical mass regionally that it is not in other regions.
Speaker 1: But it's not even nobody else uses it but them. It's not like Quick uses it. It's not like Warren uses it. It's not like none of these people use it.
Speaker 2: Kigg didn't use it.
Speaker 3: Siren proof a point yesterday. There's not there's not a big act that comes out of there other than.
Speaker 5: Like O T really, but.
Speaker 2: This is the problem is sometimes.
Speaker 1: This is gonna sound. That's the whole this is sound, he said. Paul's clapp, you talking about how to go from that. This is gonna sound more prejudice than I wanted to sound, not to you, like like in race related but just in music. Trust me, this is not how everybody sounds Pete like this. This is more and it's like if you hear it from this surface level, then you think everybody sounds like this. We're all pulling from one pot. The only music that I can remember that had a mass movement that was created on the West Coast from musicians with Sunshine pop. There is nothing else. Everything else in hip hop is an interpolation of some other genre.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. It's all derivative.
Speaker 1: But what I'm telling you is everybody on the West didn't use that same element of funk that Dre used. The lead became popular for Dre, but that's not what everybody else did. Battle Cat didn't usual lead. Battle Cat don't have leads in the song. He plays the bass differently. So again, so when we keep saying West Coast sound, it's not really true. It's a lazy way of approaching something that's way deeper.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 2: That's what we're trying to say to y'all. It's way deeper. So like when people say not like us sounds like a West Coast song, why the fuck does that sound like a West Coast song to you?
Speaker 5: You know why?
Speaker 2: Yes, But I'm saying again it's a lazy categorized.
Speaker 5: But also to G's point, I expect human beings to be lazy, and I expect human because it's light because I'm using a polite word lazy. Lazy is the polite word I call people stupid.
Speaker 3: That's where you and I agree that.
Speaker 5: I don't like to say people are stupid because they're not cable.
Speaker 3: But where's the line between nuance? And that's my question, because where's the line then between nuanced and theme because thematically there seems to be a general consensus of agreement and nuance. It was always space separated.
Speaker 1: First off, Pete, we never used the term gangst the rap that was not That's what everybody outside that didn't know class sonically.
Speaker 3: I'm not even talking terminology.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, but that's what I'm saying. We didn't say that ever. Nobody said this is the West Coast sound that made the music, So it was only from how people needed to classify it that didn't know what it was that's exact y'all was making music. He was like, I'm making the New West Coast sound. Yeah no, he did not.
Speaker 4: I think that when it when it developed and it came out, it was like, this is what it is. That's where I'm from. And that's not what stamped a sound.
Speaker 5: Like people who didn't know it provided a sound though he didn't put so that's not that's not no, that makes sounds in the.
Speaker 2: City revolutionary war. Bro, this is crazy. That's not what happened. What you mean, that's not what happened, bro, Like I'm gonna tell you the war so quick quick.
Speaker 1: Tonight is the first song that would be titled the way or the sound that you would call g funk. Right, taking the sample, replaying the bass, making the bass centerpiece of the music, and then doing your tough rap whatever you think a tough rap is, right Boom. They were listening to Too Short shout out to play him. They were listening to two shorts album that Don't Fight the Feeling? Right, that became the first in New York. Right, what too Short, Don't Fight the Feeling? I was kidding, Oh okay, so again, right, but I'm saying that wouldn't be considered g funk, or that wouldn't be considered none of this. So again, everybody's pulling out of a funk pot. EPMD pulled out of a funk pot. Houdini pulled out of a funk pot. Have a song called five Minutes of funk that could be a West Coast song?
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, there's examples of that. What's his name? Like, I just heard the song. It's actually a decent example, Like Filthy Riches did a song off the old Little John Trick Daddy track and it sounds seamless because because.
Speaker 2: We are not.
Speaker 1: First off, remember James Brown is coined as the creator of funk. He's from Georgia, the people who got the most props from funk. Right, it's probably Parliament in them, right, George Clinton from New Jersey. Boosy is from Ohio, like bro Dayton Roger and from Dayton Rogers happening from Dayton. You feel me like, it is not simple, it's a I get it. I get why the lazy fan likes to say the West Coast sound, but there's nothing about Leon Haywoods. I want to do something freaky to you and then sampling that to say, hey, this is West Coast, like, even if you hear the lead, it's because you don't understand it comes from a group out of Ohio.
Speaker 5: So again, use the sound was what made it West Coast.
Speaker 2: It was always big. It was always big. That's why they That's why Dre and them used it. It was already black.
Speaker 5: I'm on f y, which is will I AM's AI. It's probably the most powerful AI. Right. So I asked it what makes a song sound West Coast? And it says, Number one, funky bass lines. The groove is often driven by funky, smooth bass lines that give it relaxed bounce. Number two smooth R and B soulfulness. There's a blend of hip hop with elements of R and B and soul. Sometimes the use of melodic of melody to deliver the smoothness. UH three laid back beats. The beats tend to be uh the smooth. The beats tend to be smooth compared to other beats like East Coast rap. Uh four synthesizers and funky guitar riffs, five G funk elements, and six storytelling. So that makes the whole West Coast sound.
Speaker 2: And think about this we didn't originate any of that in hip hop space.
Speaker 3: That's not that's.
Speaker 4: It's like, now you're arguing, okay, well, since we didn't originate, we didn't make the guitar.
Speaker 5: This can't be rapped. This is just guitar, right, nobody I'm presenting to you.
Speaker 2: They're saying the base is the main melody of the song. We're not the first ones in.
Speaker 5: Hip hop to do that, all right. I have a question saying that you a producer, k you a producer? If I told you that this is a producer to hold.
Speaker 3: On hypothetically, You're not hypothetical.
Speaker 5: I'm getting out. This is but from a producer standpoint, if I told you to make me a trap beat, right, how would you approach that? Where would you set the metron though I'm setting it.
Speaker 4: I'm setting the metronome at one twenty, and then I'm going getting a ways.
Speaker 5: I was just about to start with that's starting with anyways. But that's what I'm saying. So it's like, but.
Speaker 7: How there exactly how you starts and from there it really don't matter because now we're in the trap.
Speaker 5: Mind of my snare is.
Speaker 2: About to be light.
Speaker 5: My high hats are about to be light. They're about to be sped up to.
Speaker 1: Which rolls us into this different conversation. Shout out to Dre, Shout out to the whole lunch table. Appreciate y'all comment, and thank y'all. It's cracking. I got a little bro head here, got my big logo, Here, got my brother Sega becuzz right here. Check it out, Dre says, malone. Did you hear that ship? Hit maker said? And that's my problem. This is why it goes back.
Speaker 2: To this point.
Speaker 1: So immediately when you start making trap, you're starting to emulate what you think trap sounds like.
Speaker 5: I'll give you that it's not this because because.
Speaker 3: That's to acknowledge that it has a sound.
Speaker 2: But that's the problem. It doesn't have a sound.
Speaker 1: Pete that you're the vex. The fact that you're a white person said that. You know what, this is the exact problem, right, it's it's it.
Speaker 3: Has depends on how you look at it.
Speaker 2: No, it's not the solution, but that's the problem. And this is why I'm saying saying. This is why May fourth is so important, right, because it forced you to stop fucking with other people's ship and emulating their ship to make some dope shit. That's why May fourth is important for the last sixteen seventeen years.
Speaker 3: So it's not extracting funk music leaving it where walking.
Speaker 2: Since the owl came out, the ow gotcha how came out hit maker? I said he set the standard of how you guys make hip hop producers. So you guys said to make it to the top, I need to make it sound like this. That's how you make fucking pop music. That's not how you do this thing called hip hop. Rick Rubin does not sound like Smith. Larry Smith, don't sound like Marlly Mare. Marlly Mare.
Speaker 1: Even when Dre tried to do his best rendition of Marlly More, it don't sound Dre didn't really hit until he figured out something that he can be the first and own.
Speaker 2: It looks like he creating in the space.
Speaker 3: It's not the whole thing we're talking about.
Speaker 1: No, because you keep saying the West Coast sound, Warren g didn't win because he sounded like doctor Dre.
Speaker 7: You're not wrong, But in a sense of being a in the sense of being a producer, we're looking to try to get shit placed.
Speaker 2: So hell yeah, I gotta make a beat that sounds like this person or this person or this.
Speaker 1: Person between industry, that's the difference between industry and hip hop. If I shout out to my boy Trapped for that difference between industry and hip hop, you're trying to be in the industry, not make hip hop.
Speaker 2: Hip Hop is not about industry. That's the trick. It's the reason why slip shit don't sound like Dre, Dre shit don't sound like Warren, and Warren shit don't sound like Quick.
Speaker 1: You can distinctively tell all the difference. Even though they all could be inspired by funk, all their ship sounded different because they wasn't trying to place fucking.
Speaker 3: Beats more similarity than they would have differences.
Speaker 5: They don't.
Speaker 2: Listen, they don't have similarities. They really don't. If you heard, if you heard m C A ghetto took me under. It does not sound like things.
Speaker 5: So the sound came from the.
Speaker 2: Sound is a lazy way of approaching making hip hop.
Speaker 1: Which is why the independence was one on May fourth, so you niggas could stop making.
Speaker 2: Them sound beats, them dom sounding type beats. Stop doing that. You actually gonna have to work your ass off and figure out what the public fucking want to hear again.
Speaker 1: You actually gotta get back out there and do it. Hit Makers sat down with Ray Daniels. Shout out to Ray because I can't wait to say when it Shout out to Bird. That's my brother to hit Makers, a solid du.
Speaker 5: Bird, But on my show he hard I love.
Speaker 3: Crazy.
Speaker 2: That is hello dope, and he's a mos.
Speaker 5: You know what we're doing for the new school niggas is a solid nigga was making a record, but this is my problem.
Speaker 1: For years, he was able to look at what was popping because the presence of that nigga looming over you, that foreign invader to the culture, foreign invader because he's outside of the culture. He had y'all motherfucker's handcuffed and maybe some of y'all benefited as producers. Maybe some of y'all benefited as producers, right because you was like, I can give me a check if I make this beat that sound like this, that is bullshit.
Speaker 2: And that's why hip hop is in the predicament. It's in and it's been fucked up for the last fifteen plus years.
Speaker 1: Because you niggas will not understand that this ain't about a sound, nothing about two thousand and one is g funk nothing. If you are a fucking producer in this space, you are you're supposed to be trying to rewrite this ship. You're supposed to be trying to to captivate the whole culture.
Speaker 2: Kept up?
Speaker 3: How many how many young producers they let it, they let come in on some new show.
Speaker 5: It's not when you said, who is it's not. No, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It's not gaatekeeping it's it's just the fact of the industry. It's an industry. So the sound is the product? How is it an industry thing? No, I'm saying like industrialized and far as as far as industry, not just music industry.
Speaker 5: I'm okay, So this is my this is my problem. I got with that the whole thing. Mhm, Well he just said about they and not letting in and and and then you y'all mentioned the word industry. Who's keeping you from working with artists that you know? No, that's what I'm saying. It's no one. Is what I'm saying is the sound. It's the sound.
Speaker 4: I'm what I'm saying, is the sound that we're talking about that you guys are saying, Hey, there is no sound. This is what we're doing. The sound is the classification. It's when it when Dre does it. Oh, the execs, oh look this is selling. Okay, that's that's that West Coast sound.
Speaker 5: I want that.
Speaker 4: Then they go in and then they get the producers that can make that. That's where the sound comes. But that's not what happened. That's not what happened.
Speaker 5: No, I'm just saying it.
Speaker 4: No, but that's what I'm but you're saying as far as happening now right, No, that happened. That happened before. No, I'm going to tell you they wanted the sound because I mean, nobody, nobody, because Drake does g Unit have a whole album full of West Coast records, the West Coast sound.
Speaker 5: But I mean, I get it.
Speaker 4: It's they wanted that sound. They wanted Dre's sound. They wanted that West Coast sound. Dre don't have a sound, But I don't know, Bro, he has a sound. Dra he has a sound, have a sound. He's not tied to a sound, but he has a there is sounds that dra Is know his sound.
Speaker 5: Bro, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: I'm telling you the truth.
Speaker 5: Sonic doesn't have a sound. Okay, what do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: He doesn't have ray does everything based off the project?
Speaker 5: What is that? And what do you mean by you mean?
Speaker 4: I mean I'm talking about really dynamically seeing it for the final men master Roger Way that it's already finalized master, that full master that's going, that's gonna be christ and pristine.
Speaker 2: That's a dre master. That's a quality.
Speaker 1: That's not a sound the same straight out of compt that sounds like Doggie Staff.
Speaker 2: You cannot see that. They're they're different, They're night and day different.
Speaker 5: They're definitely different.
Speaker 2: But you still because his name said it, not because you heard the beats. The problem so long.
Speaker 5: It has elements.
Speaker 2: Listen, it's no element that match in that makes that.
Speaker 5: Makes it makes sense? An element? Why you make this? It's it's definitely a thread, for sure, there's something there.
Speaker 2: Thread there is the only thread.
Speaker 4: There's a thread there, there's a there's Okay, so you're so okay, So you're saying that there's no sound, So why is there a sound?
Speaker 2: It's a lazy way of digesting what's happening. Okay, So what do I call it from?
Speaker 5: Okay? Now, now what do I call it what.
Speaker 1: What everybody sells on the West Coast is street urban culture from the West Coast.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's the difference.
Speaker 2: This is why.
Speaker 8: You know what you're right. You're right about that, because I was just thinking about earlier records, because don't know, none of that music sound like No Twilight twenty two that's West Coast.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, or Egyptian Lover or that consolidation didn't start to happen until the nineteen nineties, Pete.
Speaker 1: The problem is you started to people white. People started to classify Pete.
Speaker 3: That's fine, but to tell you that, don't make that.
Speaker 1: Don't make it white, that make it identifiable to people that don't know what's happening. When you don't know what's happening, you label something, you call it gangster rap because that's all you can make out of it. It's lazy, it's intellectually lazy. And we don't have to be that way, Like listen, the general public does. We don't have to be that way. Us as the as the foundation of this thing we call culture, and these record makers we don't trap.
Speaker 5: We don't have to be that way. And when we start talking like the fans, that's a problem.
Speaker 1: Imagine KT talking like me and he and the game that Nigga can't imagine Luka Dancik's.
Speaker 2: Talking like he's playing. The problem is when you start letting the public control how you play the game.
Speaker 5: What would you call gospel music?
Speaker 2: Here's a great point.
Speaker 5: What's the.
Speaker 8: Because you've seen because you can see gospel of any type of music.
Speaker 2: And it'll be gospel.
Speaker 5: Kurt Franklin, So again, the culture drives music. They are Gospel has a sound.
Speaker 1: The culture is the sound. Now there'll be people trying to hold on and believe what is what it is. But gospel is specifically about one person facts. If you sing about that, now, maybe I don't know. Maybe if you sing about the Virgin Mary, people might consider it gospel.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't.
Speaker 7: Because I mean, I mean, you can you consider you consider the crag gospel in a sense.
Speaker 5: It's Christian rat but it's still gospel. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: You if you sung if you made a song about Luke, I don't know if.
Speaker 5: I was gospel, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: You keep saying it's not the same, Pete, it's the same.
Speaker 1: You're trying to hold on is something that you really have no fucking business holding on to I'm not trying.
Speaker 3: To hold because I'm literally just trying to see where the line is.
Speaker 2: There is no line. This is not the United States.
Speaker 3: Prior to this that have addressed this from the complete opposite end that you, that were driven by your opinion.
Speaker 5: My opinion is driven by culture. It's always been that opinion.
Speaker 1: How people hear what I'm saying is different than what I'm saying people people, people are not listening to me. They're hearing me because I never one time told you the West Coast sound. The further I get into it, I understand more than ever it's street urban culture. That's why Larry Smith, who DENI could have five minutes of funk, and then people still act like a funk song is a West Coast song because they don't know the culture drives this car we call hip hop.
Speaker 5: I still don't know what we call it now. So now you're just saying hip.
Speaker 1: Hop, I'm saying you could call your niches g funk. Now we can say what g funk sounds like. But then when you try to restrict g funk to a region, that becomes the problem.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, because like you said, g funk arrived from five different people coming from five different area.
Speaker 1: Well, g funk is a coin term. By shout out to the big homie Hutch from a butlh Lah, he coined the term. But the sound that people lay. So the person who make it, you would don't. You wouldn't even call most of his music g funk. If I play you Hutch music, but outs that I get passed black shit man, you wouldn't even understand what's happening.
Speaker 2: The most people that even Dre.
Speaker 1: Don't have a lot of G funk songs the way you would imagine Kat would probably his sound would probably be the closest thing people labeled the g funk, and he far away from Hutch and Dre and all of them. So what I'm telling Pete is it's not the sound. The sound is the lazy way of identifying what's happening. It's the again, listening is to listen in right. So now we're having a conversation amongst all of us within the culture. Even Pete, you're within the culture, you're baptized in it. You within the culture. So now I'm telling you you can't have an outside white man's perspective.
Speaker 2: No more.
Speaker 3: From the consecutive seconds.
Speaker 2: So what I'm saying to y'all is this right.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying is it's more about it's more about culturally what's happening that determines the region, the culture of what's happening, the way you talking, because they talked his way, And for the last fifteen sixteen years, hip hop has been pasteurized between the arrival of the net and the arrival of the owl. The owl like like, shout out to shout out to Cuz because he just said that, shout out to Hitmaker, to Burr because he said that. He said that they were all shooting that, Oh, this is what you want to do, and it don't sound like it sounded like the world because it's pop music.
Speaker 3: That I don't disagree with anything.
Speaker 2: No, that's and his point.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: I agree with him.
Speaker 1: But that's why to this point, that's why, to this point, this is why May fourth, twenty twenty four should be celebrated in hip hop forever, because that is the day that somebody, single handling cut the head off of a foreign invader, right, cut the head off of a foreign invader and said, y'all gotta get back to fucking making hip hop.
Speaker 3: I have a question. I agree with that star, right, says Pete. Not Pete knowing who Philly is? Okay, Pete, Who's.
Speaker 5: I don't know me?
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's the sarcastic ways. She was surprised that you knew who that was? Oh, filthy, Yes.
Speaker 3: We just had a Super Bowl champion from Philadelphia yesterday. My brain's not exactly that.
Speaker 2: She's surprised that you know who filthy is, and I, Pete is not the traditional.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that I didn't know who because of the because my brain's off Philadelphia. I didn't know what the reference was.
Speaker 5: That was all that I was asking.
Speaker 1: So again I'm saying to y'all, right, it's like, that's why May fourth becomes important. So why you're right if you're trying to be in the industry, Yes, this might be bad for you because you're a pop nigga. You shouldn't be over here with us anyway, get your ass over there. But if you really are the culture, there's no more looming presence for sure of a colonizer. Right who colonizes? Sound of a colonizer saying, Hey, this is the bar of success. Somebody was asking me yesterday. But what is Kendrick going to do tomorrow? I said, I hope you don't put out another record for you pump motherfuckers. I would finish my tour and ride off and tore on my music and whatever else until.
Speaker 2: I felt I needed to wrap. I wouldn't be talking to you niggas.
Speaker 1: Oh well, if he took out this person, if he took out the owl, then he should take his place. No, you need to find somebody else new to listen to.
Speaker 2: Hell is wrong with you.
Speaker 1: It's like you need one person to enjoy nigga. This is the culture nigga. Ain't no one person bigger than the program.
Speaker 2: Jay was doing.
Speaker 1: Fantastic his whole career, but it was always a new nigga every year you could listen to next to him. When you thought he had it in ninety six, here come Pack again with all lies on me and NAIs came with what it was written his commercial success, So jay Z didn't have that by self. In ninety seven, when Jay thought he was gonna have it Witholume one, guess what, here go Biggie, here go puff Daddy with a better album.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, puff Daddy. No way out it's better than Volume one.
Speaker 5: It was a good time for music to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, New York.
Speaker 5: He was putting out good records. But this is what I'm saying. There was not one person you followed.
Speaker 1: They fucking sound so and I'm talking about probably the most accomplished and successful hip hop artist ever in jay Z, and nobody felt they needed to colonize his fucking sound.
Speaker 2: You didn't get the jay Z sound on the like beats. How they be putting on YouTube.
Speaker 5: Saying them sound like beats, the tight beats, the Volume Ahead, the Volume one type beats.
Speaker 2: You didn't have that. Guess So guess what because when Volume one came out, guess what came out that year, No Way Out, Life after Death, all kind of fly.
Speaker 1: Shit came out. Ninety seven, that happened. And guess what the ninety eight when jay Z finally broke through and he had Blue excuse me, he had re excuse me, Volume two, Volume two came out. Jay Z Volume two came out, he said, five millions, here come DMX. That shit don't sound shiny like that ship. That shit to gutt.
Speaker 5: He dropped two albums, double triple platinum, back to back, back to back.
Speaker 2: Here comes some nigga from New Orleans. Nobody knew who that nigga? Manny Freshman, Who was this nigga?
Speaker 1: He got that Mardi Gras jazz shitting there, cracking and they talking about backing ass up and high and all that.
Speaker 2: Guess what you couldn't sell No Volume two type beats go fast forward. Guess what ninety nine? Oh you think jay Z got it?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: Jay Z got Volume three artists killing. Guess what here come Doctor Drake with some shit that don't sound nothing like the chronic right after that wasn't But y'all missing the point. Guess what here com dog come with some shit that don't sound nothing like jay Z. Listen to what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Focused, I'm telling you about the most accomplished and successful hip hop artists in history, and I'm telling you how nobody.
Speaker 2: Had tight beats, real shit. You're not lying, bro. And two thousand, when he comes out, he goes and deals with Rick Rock and he makes the rock Life Familiar album. Some nigga out of Saint Louis come up here and he pronounced every e R what a U are? Herd and herd? And that ship didn't become the sound and then here come Emminem, this white man from Detroit.
Speaker 5: Every year that nigga came out, he nobody made the album that sounds like his album.
Speaker 2: But all a sudden, sisters, fucking ol came all.
Speaker 1: You motherfuckers want to make your records to sound like him because you think this what you gotta do.
Speaker 2: And that's the problem.
Speaker 3: That's fucking facts. I'm not gonna hold you.
Speaker 2: And that's what and that's what Bird said, and that's what Bird says. And I'm glad that nigga did forgive me.
Speaker 1: You are a live brother. You're gonna make your money in Australia. Getting your money, bro, it's cool, but you needed to die in this space because I'm.
Speaker 2: Tired of you niggas making these tight beats. Where is the hip hop? Where is the code you're in the music?
Speaker 1: You niggas making these tight beats, and that ship's embarrassing tat y'all.
Speaker 5: Y'all followed somebody who don't even know who he is, and y'all makeing y'all music sound like a nigga that.
Speaker 2: Don't even know who he is. He don't even know who hisself is. Every week he wake up with a new hairstyle of new braids. Niggain't never what breads in it's life before before thirty four, and now y'all niggas following him making music ain't got a bit.
Speaker 7: Niggas a bag man trying to get a bag, bro, And that's all we were chasing.
Speaker 2: And that's the problem.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 2: Niggas the bad and it ain't never no real bag in that. That's my stuff.
Speaker 1: That nigga had the dies and that's why May Fourth need to be celebrated forever, even if this motherfucking don't last.
Speaker 2: Rock and rolls, nobody chops every fucking head off. Yeah it economy, Nobody chopped Kenny g head off. Nobody protected those cultural movements in the arts. Nobody protected them. Nobody stood up and fought and decided that these.
Speaker 1: Things were not gonna be allowed. One motherfucker came for hip hop. This motherfucker had it by the boss had had had a nigga bird from Chicago.
Speaker 5: I don't have following him, Bro, Stop bringing burg up because I'm just saying, like he said it, No, I know that, but I'm just saying that's not the same thing, bro, Like, no, it is the same head because everybody thought like that. No, everybody does things like that.
Speaker 2: So now it's over.
Speaker 5: No it's not.
Speaker 2: Now you have nobody to follow.
Speaker 5: You can't get rid of ignorance.
Speaker 2: No, you can't get rid ignorant. But you know what, you can't get rid of the motherfucker everybody following.
Speaker 5: No you can't. It's just gonna be a new motherfucker.
Speaker 2: Heads because it wasn't a motherfucker before this.
Speaker 5: No, listen, bro, stop trying to save everybody.
Speaker 2: Yes I can't.
Speaker 5: I don't think. I don't think why I'm here, No, it's not. I'm here to doc for hip hop people. Some people, some people are meant to go down with the ship. You know what I'm saying, down with this motherfucker.
Speaker 2: Guess what I'm not.
Speaker 3: You know what they call that person. They call that person the captains.
Speaker 5: Every now and listen, I can't say what I want to say on this dream because I fuck it up, fuck my ship up. But what I'm saying is everybody is not meant to be a free thinker. Everybody's not meant to traverse the shackles of whatever ideology that systemically has been presented to them, like I'm not picking on Berg, but Bird does what he does. He's hit maker, right, he chases proverbial hits. Right, ain't perfect cool? Do that? Right? But then you have other people who are risk takers. You have other people who are trendsetters. Did Jermaine duprieze of the world? Right?
Speaker 2: JD?
Speaker 5: To me is my goal? You top and everybody got you know, they killed me for that. But he's my number one? Why? Because JD never chased the sound. JD has never and he there making all of the shit and he will vocally produce because he's a producer. Right. I don't expect Pete. Would you think? Do you think Glasses is an elite MC?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: From an MC standpoint, okay, I don't expect everybody to be an e lead MC. Some niggas, I expect them to be whatever they are.
Speaker 5: I'm not expecting every I'm not holding everybody to the same esteem or standard that mustards at or Dot or Jermaine Duprie or Timbling or none of these people. I'm holding them to what they want to be. If you want to be drive through cool, be a drive through. If you want to be sitting down, if you want to be five star dining cool, but all that like trying to raise the bar on all these niggas that don't want to be that, fuck them.
Speaker 1: Now kill them niggas. Now, all the niggas who don't want to get down, lay down.
Speaker 3: And this is like a thing and like the.
Speaker 5: Gey, we can let them cook.
Speaker 1: Were all on the plantation, people on the plantations, because right now you ain't white, you you with the coach. We all on the plantation, Kiki, it's all of us on the plantation. We all coming up playing.
Speaker 2: It's all. It's all six of.
Speaker 1: Us on the plantation. Were all six of us on the planet. It's thirty of us on the plantation. Were trying to make a plan to escape.
Speaker 8: Most of the work.
Speaker 2: He gotta don't work, all six of us trying to escape. This is my thought.
Speaker 1: He had all six of us trying to escape. All six of us trying to escape. It's thirty niggas on the plantation. That's like, well, you know what masks say, we shouldn't go nowhere. No, the thing is kill all twenty four of them, motherfuckers. Now start with them before you even get to the slaver. Start with them, for you can get to the staving. Kill all twenty four of the people. That's gonna tell, and then you kill the masters. The problem is that we've been letting too many motherfuckers exist. We've been letting too many motherfuckers exist that ain't with the program. That's one thing that I appreciate about game banging. If you ain't with the program, bro, you're gonna get bumped off your bitch ass out of here. It's way too much letting people just be cool and shit and hip hop and oh you know what they're just doing.
Speaker 2: No, you ain't doing shit. Kill his ass. Now.
Speaker 1: May fourth should be a lesson. That is how you protect a fucking culture. Like that's how somebody's if they don't think Beyonce.
Speaker 5: Is that was Charlotte He Finnah, join the stream. I'm finish sitting the link, sitting the link.
Speaker 2: Kill that motherfucker.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: That's why May fourth should be celebrated.
Speaker 3: That's why I agree on a thousand percent of that. I think what's this is like? This is one of those things. I mean, you can say it's bigger than hip hop, but you could have strap it a similar trend throughout like the entire economy by and large, you know, like you have your innovators and then you have your copiers. Usually the first guy goes down because there's that learning curve where it's like the innovator's dilemma, so to speak. And then the second guy comes in at the right time and he makes all the money. He didn't come with the idea. He just came at the other idea that failed the second time at the right time, and we saw that happen, and it's it's almost like this moment was the moment that like a third operating system was available at your cell phone store. Like I personally, it's stupid and trivial. I think it's bullshit. In the United States of America, I can't get an Android or an Apple or I mean anything besides Android that those are my only choices. I go to Hunt, I can go to a thousand cell phone stores this country. I'm getting two fucking types of apps period, you know. And that's kind of what happened.
Speaker 5: You saw, like.
Speaker 3: We want safe, proven, proof of concept money, and that's what this is. And that's kind of I think what you were saying with like or head was staying with hitmaker, Like you can step back and you can create a new sound. It might work, it might not work. If it works, you're the man. If it doesn't work, it's not. Or you can say what's the hottest. I'm just gonna do that and I'm gonna get that money.
Speaker 2: And that's what we have for And that's why niggas who gonna sell out the movement killed them. Niggas now.
Speaker 1: Shout out to shout out to the only geno, Thank you for that ten dollars had I left a body in New Orleans for the right reasons, for the right reason.
Speaker 2: All I'm saying to y'all is this right.
Speaker 1: A lot of the ways we see the business, it's based off of the last sixteen seventeen years. Sixteen seventeen years, one person came, a foreign invasion happened, and they started to try. They started to they colonize what was happening, and then it made all of the music sound exactly alike because people were pursuing, like he's saying, a check or a bag. And this is what Head's point is. It's like back in the day, you didn't pursue a bag. You broke an artist. That's how you got your ship cracking.
Speaker 5: That was my point I was making to you when you said, when niggas have the narrative that the industry is keeping me out, No, they not break an artist.
Speaker 2: For a second.
Speaker 7: And here you got to understand that even at that point in time, Bro, early on, UH labels was looking for artists to sound like other artists.
Speaker 5: Why do you think niggas a look into a label.
Speaker 3: That's my ama.
Speaker 5: Everybody matter, right, this is the truth. Don't matter, And I remember this, and this is the truth of the matter.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 5: When you when you I understand everybody's conditions. And God has blessed us to be in a fortune situation, but it hasn't always been like that. Me and Glasses by ourselves when it got on a plane with no return ticket, that's fact, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: We didn't have money. We share hotel rooms. This nigga had me on the whole stro in Oakland, in East Oakland, we stayed in a hotel with nigga was.
Speaker 5: Bro. It was a nigga turning. It was a nigga pressing a trick about his money in the hotel room next door to us. But it's all facts. Nigga, We don't have no nothing. I'm not speaking on I'm not speaking from a place. I'm not speaking from a place of privilege where I'm saying like, fuck the money, don't chase the bag, and we all have life circumstances. Not what I'm saying, but what I'm what g is saying, and what I'm saying. If you want to be culturally potent, that's that can't be at the forefront of your mind. The forefront of your mind has to be I'm gonna break an artists, or I'm gonna make history, or I'm gonna take a risk, or I'm gonna do something that knowing that's never been done before, or I'm gonna do something extraordinary to the point where everybody's calling my phone and I'm not looking for the adulation or the monetization from somebody else. If you want to get industry, this is not to you, bro, This is the indus. This is to every artist. It's every artist that's watching this, or any producers or anything like that. The industry is not keeping you back. The white man is not holding you down. Kendrick is not gate keeping it because he didn't give you a retweet, or DJ is not holding you back. Because you wasn't on to pop out or none of that ship you want to matter, break up artists, it's.
Speaker 1: And so it just didn't got to a point to where we let it really get here. And this is what I'm saying, this is what may fourth is so important, This is what so important because somebody took away something that y'all use as a crutch for years.
Speaker 3: Had a quick question first for you guys in general, like you talked about beforehand, like the for for lack of a better word, we'll just say, the heisting of preceding genres be it jazz, blues.
Speaker 5: Rock and roll, whatever.
Speaker 3: There's also been like I wouldn't say, like a time frame where where like there was kind of sort of organically a new sound that was created like within like the broader I know, glasses, like the Turn, like the broader community, quote unquote. But hip hop's it's been on a pretty long run. It's it's close to fifty years. Like, did do you guys foresee anything in the future where like just culturally and like culturally and organically there could just be like the roots of a of an entirely new semi genre or whatever that could that could happen that could kind of get in you know, wedget it's its way into the into the space.
Speaker 5: I mean.
Speaker 2: So in other words, you're asking, do we see a possible evolution, Yeah, like.
Speaker 3: A new genre popping up just on its own from the from within the same culture that created almost in sequence jazz, blues, rock, R and B hip hop, you know, newstrated organically.
Speaker 2: You don't get techno.
Speaker 1: You don't get all the techno house are born out of hip hop. So we got other genres that really black people don't even really share in the space that already were birthed out of hip hop, like technou like.
Speaker 3: Hip hop replaced a previous, like like full on replaced, not like existed next.
Speaker 1: Hip ho didn't replace anything, right, it's everything still exists. Hip Hop is just the thing that everybody wants to do because it's the coolest thing to do. What's cool is always gonna change. But you shouldn't really be doing hip hop because it's cool anyway, like you.
Speaker 3: In the sense of as the cool thing in the place at the time, like in that time and place, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: No, I agree, but that's what I'm saying you that shouldn't be the reason a person is making music. Anyway, you should do this because this is what you really want to do. Hence, while we're telling the money can't be the motivation, nobody's saying, be broke, but you gotta really want this shit Like I hate where we while I love where we at now, I hate where we're at now because where we at now makes people dream lower.
Speaker 2: Hell was telling me a story this morning about he did this news thing on Fox.
Speaker 5: Scare with me.
Speaker 1: I'm an collabor with y'all can check it out. But he tells a story with me and Dot. We was all on the tour bus right tech tour, and Kendrick is like, man Glass, He's showing me these pictures, this Corvette Corvett. Why look at him on the laptop and he's like, man, I ain't gonna never be able to get one of these. And I'm like, why, of course you're gonna get one of these. They make thousands of these motherfucker millions of motherfuckers on these cards because sometimes where we come from, bro it seemed like these things is far that we forget. This is math produced shit, right, somebody, I'm telling my shout out to my Boxy Coach. Shout out to Will that nigga was talking to me right now, you're like glass, I was telling him, you almost have to be deluded to be great to people like you almost have to sound crazy.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Queen Lady Act she's in this chat. I watched it.
Speaker 1: Lady take her career to another level, her obtain things, make great records, and be proud of her accomplishment, and then I watch other people try to tear it down because she's proud of what she's accomplished. You have to be deluded in this world to be great, bro, You nobody can see the shit you seeing. Like like my coach telling me right now, when I see shit, I see it mathematically. My math go crazy so I can make sense out of it. So when I'm telling him, I'm like, you're gonna dream about something that thousands of people make. Ferraris are mass produced. They not made by hand. It ain't like it's one motherfucker making them. It's a factory making them.
Speaker 2: Motherfuckers. How do you people be talking about dreaming about shit that that thousands of people on niggas That means it's thousands of ways.
Speaker 3: To see it.
Speaker 2: Because for sure all these motherfuckers ain't did the same thing to get it.
Speaker 1: So what I'm saying to your point, Pete, is like, we've already spawned that, but then there's a deluded thing that has to happen. There's a delusion that has to happen, and you have to allow yourself to be as great as possible, and you do all the work to back up what you're talking about, to learn how to be what you are trying to be. My thing, when I first got in this hip hop shit, I didn't know what to do. I was just doing it because I could. One day Kiki told me shout out to Kiki. He told me said make glass. God gave you this for me and other people. I thought the nigga was credible. I would God give me something for the next nigga. And ten years later I realized he was right. I was like, oh, this it's not crazy because I didn't give a fuck. Was that nigga told me said, man, you was fine. He was gonna be fine no matter what. It's other motherfuckers that ain't gonna be cool. So if I set my expectations like I had them at that time, where it was like, well, I'm making a living, I'm taking care of myself. I'm straight, But then everybody else is not straight. Little Jay get out of prison. He don't got no job. He in prison again right now, doing thirty years or whatever. Because I didn't look at it for the opportunity that it is. Hip hop is a different opportunity.
Speaker 2: This ain't no check.
Speaker 1: Ain't no check gonna take care of your family. That just ain't a check, gonna take care of yourself, and you can go, like I tell niggas, they'd be a glass. I just want to make some money and take and buy me a house. Go get a job, Go sell some dope.
Speaker 2: If your only goal is to get in this thing and make you some money and buy you a house, ain't gonna sell some dope. Go get your job. Nigga ain't got dated.
Speaker 5: I officially don't endorse with glasses alone.
Speaker 10: I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'm not telling you to do if you're that long. I had an acting teacher tell me. He said, if you want to be famous, go off the president. He said, if you want to if you want to be rich, go Robert Bank. Of course, it's an analogy. It's like this ain't for that. This is for if you want to be in acting, if you want.
Speaker 2: To take the bet.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. This was like back way back in the day. It's like, if you want to be great, you have to really love this, you have to go into this. And it's about many people.
Speaker 5: It's not about it.
Speaker 1: It's way been too many people making type beats, right, type beats real life. There's way too many people for the last fifteen plus ye're making tight beats.
Speaker 4: And Drake was making type music. At the end of the day, nothing. He was making wonderful type music. And I don't take that nothing awesome, but that's what That's what the ultimate cause instances that when when you look at it, he's making type music, looking at it saying, oh, I can do that, I can do that, I can do that. Let me go over here and say say slight. Let me go over here and say slat, let me go here and say slun okay, let me say let me go over here and say we never sow.
Speaker 2: No fuck.
Speaker 1: We're talking being in an environment where they selling dope out of abandoned house.
Speaker 2: Your has have no business making trap music. I'm tired of niggas not respecting the culture of this ship. Respect the culture of this ship.
Speaker 5: You're not gonna win that fight. G I know, but that.
Speaker 2: You may affect one person.
Speaker 5: I agree with you, but I hate Halloween. It's stupid to me. That ain't gonna stop niggas from dressing up like a power ranger.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying, but I also can't across the bow.
Speaker 3: What the fuck a power.
Speaker 6: You know what here?
Speaker 1: As much as you want to save everybody, you understand you can't. But you gotta say the niggas that you can. That's your job as a human. And I know you hate this task, but that's the definition in.
Speaker 2: The verb of being a human. No no, no, with you to care and to save humans.
Speaker 5: I do said, I pick and choose more the ones that I saved, though I get know and you do it.
Speaker 1: That's better than where you started, facts and the house the body is. I'm glad you have made it to the next level to where.
Speaker 5: You at least like I have evolved. You've been You've been only for years. So what I do is, you know what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna call the fire department. I'm not gonna run in the house I'll get a nigg out of the yard. But I'm not running in the house the house on fire, Champ like what you want me to do?
Speaker 2: But now and and I got it.
Speaker 5: I got you to do tomorrow. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying cause certainly I agree with that, And I'm not saying we.
Speaker 1: Just got to work one day at a time because we got you making one call, because that's a good start. But shout Out Too makes a great point. He said, where do we go from here? That's the best part about hip hop. Now, there's no way to know. You actually got to really care about what's happening culturally, and then you got to score the movement of somebody culturally. You actually gotta make hip hop right. That's why the last seventeen years has been miserable for me because I've been listening to a bunch of pop music.
Speaker 2: Jay Cole, Shit be Poppy as Ill shout out the Cold.
Speaker 1: But I'm not saying not hip hop. Artist's not what I'm saying. Cold don't get mad, but jo Shit been the hell.
Speaker 5: Of poppy within a week, So you better be doing Cold Cold.
Speaker 2: Know what I'm saying. You know, yeah, you know that, nigga. No, I'm not tripping.
Speaker 1: I'm tired of niggas the last seventeen years trying to make them forty type beats.
Speaker 2: The boy won the type beats. Now you don't have that. Now you don't have that.
Speaker 1: Now you stuck figuring out how to score the movement of some culture that you represent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but what if they don't have culture to score?
Speaker 2: Gets your ass out the way.
Speaker 5: So you're saying they're occupying real estate that go that is valuable real estate that can go to somebody who actually you.
Speaker 3: Need to be imminent domained. There's that stupid empty lot in the middle of the train track that's connecting City A from City B. And somebody step in and say, we're pulling this strip from you for the greater.
Speaker 5: Good no more. Yes, all right, cool, But then there's just gonna be another another lot, and then another lot and another lot that's blocking it.
Speaker 3: That's why that stupid high speed rail hasn't been built.
Speaker 2: Listen, it's not I mean imagine if God, imagine, if DoD says, you know what, at the end of the day, they gonna prop this nigga up, so I might as well not kill him, or imagine in the revolutionary worlds, Christmas addicts like, you know what, I'm not gonna fight for this.
Speaker 1: They gonna like the English people that you don't fight in that moment, thinking of what's gonna happen tomorrow, you do have to be mindful. Imagine if Abraham Lincoln like, well, you know what, they gonna slay these niggas tomorrow, I might as well not free try my best to free them.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: No, you gotta still do your big one. You don't get the luxury of looking at ten years. But you know what, in ten years I might be on crack, So I can't make no money. Now what we got we just stuck with this life.
Speaker 3: And in the greater scope of history, it's like you have, like you know, your rail line that can't get built or whatever else, and that eventually proceed precedes the invention of the cargo plan and just fly over it faster, cheaper anyway in time. So and that's kind of the space where those things need to happen. It's like, look, we've done this, it's max you self out. We need to innovate some new experience that can then just overtake that all.
Speaker 1: Tall No Silings Live the Lunch hour every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at noon specific pacifics. Then of the time right here digital soapbots, click that thumbs up button. Se me let everybody know you in the house. If you're on Twitter, retweet this link on Facebook, share it. We do this stream to support the No Selings pod. It's a link below right there. Y'all can look below this Subscribe to the No Sillans Podcast today, Man, got leave a comment, let me know you subscribe today.
Speaker 2: Feel me. We do this to support that.
Speaker 1: You can listen to the No Senters podcast on Apple Podcasts, iHeart Podcasts, anywhere you get your podcast from The No Sentans Podcast Executive produced by Charlomagne to God, the Black Effect Podcast Network, and iHeart and.
Speaker 2: We at this thing man. Much love of y'all.
Speaker 1: And looking out for tuning in to the No Sillans Podcast. Please do us a favorite, subscribe, rate, comment, and share. This episode was recorded right here on the West coast of the USA. It produced a bout the Black Effect Podcast Network and Notheart Radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah