Speaker 1: This is a lot.
Speaker 2: He's time to say your legs.
Speaker 1: The girls. Frizzy sits here. We will sit in.
Speaker 2: Jos the Gunner.
Speaker 3: Welcome to.
Speaker 2: It's the mail bag. Welcome to the Just Baseball Show. It is Wednesday, August twenty third. That's arm Lady and I'm Peter Apple, and we are here to answer all the great questions that you left on our Instagram at Just Baseball Show and on our Twitter at just BB on Underscore Media, I get dms all the time. How do I submit questions? Remember, we drop those the morning before we will do the show. So for a Wednesday show, we dropped them on Tuesday morning. You leave all of the questions in the comments, and then we picked the best seven and we had a ton to choose from arm Laton. But before we get to any of those questions, we are brought to you by bet mgm, the King of sportsbooks. Use promo code just Baseball when you sign up a deposit into your newly created account. Download the Betmgmsports app on iOS or Android, or visit betmgm dot com. Plase your first bet offer and receive up to one thousand dollars back in bonus bets if it loses, and if the bet does lose, your bonus bets will be available once the wager is settled. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler and must be twenty one or older. Arm We were talking as we configured our list. A lot of bangers, A lot of bangers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a fun one because I think we're at the point now where we can really start diving into the playoff race. You know, I know we already have been doing that, but I think, you know, from a mail bag perspective. And then also we get to mix in just some fun philosophical like I almost call these like off season type questions, but they're they're nice palette cleansers this time of year that you know, just stuff that that you know, you could probably end up debating about, and it probably will start some debates and uh listeners, group chats, you know when when when we get through some of this with two of the questions that we have in here. So yeah, I'm excited to talk a little bit more about the playoff hunts players, key players, and then some some kind of fun I wouldn't say whimsical, but like fun philosophical type questions about like kind of building a team and.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that. Definitely, and if you're watching this on YouTube, quick shameless plug. A lot of people watch these mail bag episodes on YouTube, hit that subscribe button, hit the like button, and comment anything that we said that it's crazy or if you agree with us. ARM, without further ado, I say, we get straight into it, because, like I said, a lot of great questions, and we will be talking like you and I normally do. We say we'll probably do fifty five minutes to an hour, ends up being four hours. So let's just get straight into it. The first question, who is the most impactful player for every current playoff team? This was to ask by at just underscore Lions on Twitter. ARM. I have the teams loaded up and they said playoff team, contending team. So what I'm going to do? In the American League and the National League, there are the of course first playoff teams, as in the leaders of each division. But instead of going through every team that could possibly be within contention, I say we limit it to the first four wild card teams. So all three first place teams and then the first four in the wildcard hunt start. In the American League, East the first place, Orioles. Who's the most impactful player for the Orioles.
Speaker 3: That's funny we're starting with, like, I think one of the more debatable ones where there's a lot of different directions. I think you can go with Baltimore because here's one thing before we get into this is it is it more like impactful in terms of like this is like their best player or the player that could make the biggest difference, right, Because if you're looking at like we'll get to the Dodgers in a second, I don't really have any questions about what Mooki bats or Freddie Freeman are gonna do. Would it be more impactful for somebody else to step up? You know what I'm saying. What's the way that you kind of interpret this one?
Speaker 2: The way I interpret it is if they're in a playoff race and this team were to get or this player were to get injured and they would be out, you feel a lot less positive about their chances of winning. So the most important player it doesn't necessarily.
Speaker 1: Mean most talented.
Speaker 3: Or more or not even most productive technically, you know, it could just be the most impactful. So with the Orioles, I think we might have the same answer here. For me, it's going to be Adelie Rutchman, right, because when you look at the drop off from you know, an Adlie to a James McCann, like, that's a big difference. You talk about the offensive side of things with just did an episode about how they are They're winning percentages like two x. When Adalie Rutchman is on the field, not only is he a key bat for them, but I think what he does defensively, what he brings to the table, the way he handles.
Speaker 1: The staff, also as a switch hitter as well.
Speaker 3: I think you got to go Adelie Rutchman with the Orioles and I would be extremely concerned about them if he got hurt. To your point, I don't know if there's anybody else where. I'm like fully fully changing my outlook on them if they went down.
Speaker 1: You took the words right out of my mouth. Minnesota wins.
Speaker 2: This is a more interesting one because you could go to a pitcher, whether that be Sonny Gray or Pablo Lopez, or you could find someone offensively. And my answer might surprise some people because this player has not lived up to his enormous contract that he signed in the off season. But I think potentially the most impactful player for the Twins has to be Carlos Korea because right there leading this division right now, and it's hard to pick a certain pitcher, like is Sonny Gray more important or impactful than Pablo Lopez or Joe Ryan or Bailey Ober Probably not Dallas Kyleston. Yeah, Dallas Kichel Buxton is not quite the answer because he's just so hit or miss at this point. But if Carlos Korea is on and we've only seen it in spurts this year, I think he's the most impactful player. But then again, I'm kind of going back on my original point of if Carlos Korea was hurt for the Twins, he's kind of not been that great for them this year. But that's the first name that comes to my mind when I think impactful for the Twins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know, we're talking about playoff contenders, and Carlos Correa is already one of the most accomplished postseason players in the history of the game. Like I don't like, I'm floored every time I look at the all time leaders and ex playoff stat and Correa is among the best.
Speaker 1: And it's like what, He's only been.
Speaker 3: Here for like five six years, So I think that's the number one answer, because one, even with him not playing well, like, he's still one of their most consistent, you know, back to ball guys, he's still been somewhat productive and he's still a pretty solid defender. And again, what you get in the postseason. For the sake of being different, I'm gonna go with Pablo Lopez here because I love the way he's been throwing the baseball and I feel like, yes, you've got Sonny Gray. I trust Bailey Ober in the regular season, but now with the way the rotation kind of looks, it's like, Okay, you trust Pablo Lopez, you trust Sonny Gray, but now, like, who gets the Ballgame three that you really trust is a kenam Eta? Is it Bailey Ober? Like those guys might be able to hold it down, but it's not the same level of hey, like go out and shove that I can feel with Lopez or Gray when they're on so offensively, I'm with.
Speaker 1: You with Carlos Correa.
Speaker 3: But for the sake of being different, and also because I do think that Lopez has turned into a really important piece for them, I'll go Pablo Lopez.
Speaker 2: Here the first place. Rangers have a obvious answer, but I'm not going to go obvious. Marcus Semion, I think is the most impactful player for the Rangers. First off, He's played every single day, So the Rangers don't know what it's like playing without Marcus Semion. They stayed afloat without Corey Seeger. Now Cory Seger is putting up a historic season for a shortstop. Offensively, he is amazing, But I think Marcus Semion is the most important player to get this offense going. Without him, they don't really have a leadoff type hitter, right. You could go to Ezekiel Duran, but I'd much rather have Marcus Semion. With how balanced and deep the Rangers offense is. If they were to lose Semion, I think it'd be more impactful to their team than it would be losing Corey Seger, even though Seeger is the better player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: I like the point of they don't really know what it's like not to play with Marcus Semien. I think if Marcus Semion, god forbid, went down, I think Bruce Bochi would still write his name in the lineup because he's so used to just like having him in there every single day.
Speaker 1: Seger.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean what he's doing offensively is otherworldly, But like you said, they've been performing without him. I look at the rotation though with this team, and I'm like, man, who do I really trust? And all in an underrated aspect of I think someone that if he went down they'd be in trouble is Jordan Montgomery. I know that sounds crazy, but again, like I want to try to give a different answer than than what you gave, and I think that this is right there too. Jamn just went eight shutty against Arizona. Arizona, who's been playing good ball, by the way, and his four starts with Texas so far, it's been six innings, two runs, six innings, two runs, six innings, one run, eight innings, shutty.
Speaker 1: And you look at this rotation. Yes, they got Max Schurzer at this point. I know you guys were talking about it.
Speaker 3: I think I almost trust Jamon right now more than I trust Max Schurzer, as crazy as that sounds. And then you look get like John Gray, Sure he's fine, Andrew Keeney, you know, sure he has his moments. Dane Dunning like it's been a nice story. Who do you trust in this rotation right now? For me, I'll trust Mat. I'll die on the Max Schurzer Hill. I understand that you signed up to die on the Max Schurzer hill. But right now, I think big game. You know we need to win one. I think I've given the ball to jam On and if they lost him, I'd be real nervous.
Speaker 2: Outside of Max Scherzer, I know they lost that game to the Diamondbacks. When Joran Montgomery threw those eight shutout innings, it really happened because he threw eight shutout there, winning one zero, and then a rolled as Chapman gave up the home run to Ketel marte In. I think it was the bottom of the ninth inning, and then they ended up losing four to three. But that start in itself, those eight innings were so impactful because the series before against the Brewers, none of the starters got past the fifth inning. That bullpen was completely taxed. Right they went to will Smith, even though will Smith had been getting a ton of work in the past couple of days, and he ended up blowing in an extra innings. So Jordan Montgomery did all that he could. They needed length. That's what he gave him. And not only did he give him length eight Shutty love that answer from you. Now we go to the four teams in the wild card in the American League, and number one is the Tampa Bay Rays, who are four and a half games up. This one, for me, I'm going between two different players, but I think with all the injuries to the starting rotation, Tyler Glass now has to be the answer because if they were to lose Tyler Glass now and then it's Eflyn, Sevally, Zach Lettel that just and Zach Efflin's been fantastic, right, but Tyler Glass now injects a little bit more life than as Zach Efflyin does.
Speaker 1: That together can just go you can go win you a ball game. That's say like he will win you a ball game if he's.
Speaker 2: Right, put the team on his back. That's what glassnow can do. Efflyn has done that in spurts. But game one, who do you think is getting the ball? Tyler Glass now, the big damn horse with the six foot eight curve ball from hell. I mean, he is just a bad man and if they were if he were to go down, it's great.
Speaker 1: It's a wrap.
Speaker 3: I can't even give you, like a Devil's advocate different answer because as much as I'd like to say, like Yandy Diaz or whatever, like, we've learned very like it's abundantly clear that the Rays will find a way to kind of platoon and piece it together and put together a good offensive team. And like you know, they've brought up a Ronda and Mead, and I don't know if these rookies will perform right away, and they definitely won't replace Yandy Diaz, but at least I feel decent about that contingency plan. I don't feel good about whoever the hell they're bringing up to replace Tyler Glass now in that rotation. I don't even feel good about what they're doing right now with the rotation. So yeah, I can't even give a different answer. As much as we're going to try to give two different perspectives as we fly through these teams, it's Glass now, and it's not particularly close and they need him to be right.
Speaker 2: You can make a good argument for YONDI Diez, but I agree it's Glass now. So moving on, the Houston Astros are a half game above the Seattle Mariners in Wildcard chase. As we speak here today, the Astros is an interesting one because you look at their rotation. Javier continues to disappoint Framburger. I mean, if he were to go down, that would be pretty impactful. But you do have Verlander and JP Frantz like I keep pointing to the expected numbers and the peripherals, and he just keeps saying, fuck you, I don't care. I'm just gonna keep shoving. So they have enough. And of course Hunter Brown the bullpen knows we got to pick a hitter. Now, Jordon went out, but they still did okay. I think for an all around game and the clutch factor too, Kyle Tucker is the dog because not only has he been one of the best offensive players in the American League, he is one of the best defenders in the outfield. So just from an all around game, and then we've seen Kyle Tucker play center field, right, he won't have to because Chas McCormick is now hitting fifth and he's been his beast. But I just think the best overall player now, Jordan is the best hitter. Altuve is the spark plug, Bregman is the model of consistency, but the best all around player, and if he were to go down, I think it's Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 3: Yep, I'm with you on that. Kyle Tucker is the glue of this team now. And you know Al Twove as you mentioned, awesome, Bregman, awesome. But I think those guys are I think it'd be severely underselling them to say like they're like, you know, the Robbins at this point, because they're you know, there's a good chance at Al Twove's. Yeah, he just picked up his two thousand and ted He's well on his way to the Hall of Fame and is still playing at an extremely high level. But you know, you're seeing Kyle Tucker just enter his prime. And we're talking about now with three straight for win seasons, I think Kyle Tucker is the most important guy offensively for them. But I'm still a little concerned about this rotation, man. Like it just I agree with you, like they have had guys piece it together to get them through the regular season, but we know what this Astros teammates World Series or bust as it's always going to be. And Framber's the guy that's gotten them there and put together. The quality starts on the big stage every single time, it feels like and he's been a little bit inconsistent. I think if you take Framber out of this rotation, I am a lot more worried about this team in the postseason, just because again you mentioned Javier struggles. You know, Hunter Brown's been solid and France has been really solid, better than solid, But again in the postseason, I don't I don't trust those guys at the same level. Like you could have Framber Valdez limp into the playoffs and I'm still feeling good when I give him the ball in the first, you know, in the first postseason game, and for me, that's that's gonna be the guy that I need to have any optimism around the the Houston Astros. It's not much of a consolation prize, but Michael Brantley coming back mate helped the offense a little bit. We don't know what we're going to get from him, but yeah, Framber is just that dog. He's for me, he's the most consistent arm in baseball, even though he's had a little bit.
Speaker 1: Of a hiccup lately.
Speaker 2: If it wasn't for JP Frantz, I would have chosen Framberg. Yeah, seriously. I know that's like a crazy sentence, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, imagine if you said that's just that sentence in a vacuum like in April, I would have just been like, what, nurse.
Speaker 2: I think it's maybe the easiest outside of Baltimore. Julio Rodriguez makes this team go. Yeah, I can't even should we move on?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean come on, I mean look look at look look at what he's doing right now, look at what the Mariners are doing. It's that simple, that's ridiculous. So like you can plug and play.
Speaker 2: Toronto Blue Jays, I think there are two key answers here. If Kevin Gosman were to go down, this team may be screwed. But at the same time, like Kucci has been great, Barrios has been great, Bassett has been pretty damn good. Not at to the level of those two, but still solid. I think Bob Bashett is so important for this Blue Jays team, dude, because if he went down, the rest of this Blue Jays lineup has simply not hit to the level of expectations that fans everywhere thought they would, especially Blue Jays fans. You could point to George Springer and Vladdie and Chapman. But all three of those guys have got great seasons. Bashett is the guy that's keeping this team.
Speaker 3: It's funny, man, I look at the I look at the lineup and you kind of go through it and it's like we Merrifield is great, but Brandon Belt disappointing. I know he Homer twice the other day, Vad Guerrero Junior disappointing, George Springer somewhat disappointing, Matt Chapman pretty much since the second month of the season, disappointing, Alejanjo Kirk, disappointing, Dalton Varshow disappointing. And it's relative right. They haven't been disasters, but none of those guys have performed to the way that you want to see them perform. Bo Bashett has performed and continues to get better and better, and this looks like another guy who's kind of entering that prime.
Speaker 1: So I'm with you.
Speaker 3: Offensively, it's it's Bashett on the pitching side, though, Man, Chris Bassett's a good regular season arm. Kakuchi's a good regular season arm. But I mean, I need I need a guy that I can really trust. It's it's got to be Kevin Gosman. So for me, I think it's a tie between Gosman and Bashett and and I think it's them and then nobody else. Like, I don't think it's close with anybody else. I'm one hundred percent on the on the Bichette train, but Gosman as well.
Speaker 2: So that's it for the American League. Let's move on to the National League and we'll start with the first place Braves. This is a challenging one arm because I think you can could give an answer and all would make sense, right, because they're all so good. But man, I look at this rotation. But then again, like I'm about to say, like I want to pick a pitcher, but if Freed goes down, he's been down kind of for the entire year. But I'm more thinking about the playoff hunt. Right, if it's just Streider, Morton and Elder, they're gonna have to really really hit. So for me, and kind of similar to what you were talking about with Framber in the playoffs, Freed in the playoffs has been amazing. So while the Braves have been so amazing without Freed, I think Freed is so important to the Braves in the playoffs. You could say a Kunya, sure, but damn they can just put Ozzie Albi's in the leadoff spot and I'm sure they would still hit. You could get Olsen, they still got Murphy and Riley. You could take out Riley, they still got Olsen. So I can't pick an offensive player. I think the answer, if you were to choose a player on offense, would be a Kunya, and I think you'd be right. But I think if this team were to be without freedom, I'm looking at that rotation going into October, I'm a lot more scared about the Braves than if they were to lose a Kunya, which is crazy and I don't even know if I believe it.
Speaker 1: I think I thought you were gonna pick Nicky Lopez.
Speaker 2: I should pick Nicki Lope. Like if we were to if we were to do our top five, Nicki Lopez would be like three.
Speaker 1: It's not like three.
Speaker 3: No, they won a World Series without Ronald Acuna junior man. And that's not to diminish him. Like he's he's like the MVP favorite. He's unbelievable. He's everything that you could want out of a baseball player. I agree, though, Like I still think this offense is a fucking wagon without Ronald Acunya Junior, Like, look at it, look at what Matt Olson's doing, look at what Murphy's doing, look at what Ozuna's gonna hit thirty bombs this year. Like it's crazy what they're getting. I would go with with Free, Well, I think you could say Strider or Freed.
Speaker 1: I trust Freed more.
Speaker 3: Obviously Stryder's kind of working through some things in terms of consistency, So I'm with you Max Freed is the answer. I mean, that's a guy that is just as consistent as they come on the bump and a lefty that just I think rises to the occasion every single time.
Speaker 2: Moving on to the National League Central, the Milwaukee Brewers arm this is easy. If they don't have Christian Yelich. This team is not hitting anything like William Katurz, Willia Domes. Please, nice hitters, please. Christian Yelich has put up a near MVP level season. If he's out of the light up, the Brewers are not hitting anybody, no matter who steps on the mount.
Speaker 1: Uh what you don't like?
Speaker 3: South Fridlick's been awesome, but just like a playoff lineup of like Carlos Santana, Salfrie Lick, Rowdy Telez, Andrew Monastario, Bryce Terrang.
Speaker 1: And Tyrone Taylor like, and Joey Weimer like.
Speaker 3: I like a lot of those players long term, But for the playoffs in twenty twenty three, I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: No, I'm with you, Yelich.
Speaker 3: I mean, the big reason why the Brewers are where they are, maybe this is the best I think the Brewers are looked in a little bit is because they have Christian Yelich looking like Christian Yelich. So yeah, without a doubt, I think you could go with You know, if Brandon Woodrooff wasn't back, Corbyn.
Speaker 1: Burns is the answer.
Speaker 3: But now Woodroff is back, Peralta is starting to show more flashes of Freddy Peralta, and you know, Miley and and Houser plugged in and been fined, and then the Bullpen has really stepped up in a lot of ways and been really solid this year. Yeah, I think you gotta go with with a Christian Yelich here.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers is almost impossible because if you say Mookie Betts, you're correct. If you say Freddy Freeman, you're correct. So just to not say either of those, I'm gonna go with Clayton Kershaw. I think Clayton Kershaw is so unbelievably important to this Dodgers team, and that's why I see I think they've limited his innings right moving forward, Right, they need him as healthy as possible because you look at Julio Arius and while he's also been a stud in the playoffs, he hasn't been that great this regular season. And those studley performances followed second in National League SYNG voting, right, followed incredible regular seasons. He's not a guy who I'm incredibly hyped to see in Game one. Right. Walker Buehler comes on the Just Baseball Show every Monday. We love him. He's incredibly important towards the Dodgers' success, but it's hard to add him because he hasn't pitched the game for them this year.
Speaker 3: I don't think he would tell you, like, yeah, give me the give me the ball game one, I'm going seven shutout, like I think he knows he can, but you don't know what you can physically do as you come back from your second TJ. So I mean that's that's a question as well.
Speaker 1: So it's very fair. And then you look at the rotation.
Speaker 3: This is the weakest Dodgers rotation, you know, not not by any faults of their own, similar to the Rays, where it's just been guys going down left and right, and you know, now Gonsolin goes down as well. We know May's been out for a while. Of course, Kershaw is the best of the bunch. I think you could say Arius just because of what he's capable of doing in the postseason, but he's looked like a subdued version of himself. And I don't even think it would be crazy to say Bobby Miller, because that guy's been nails over the course of the year. But Kershaw is the number one answer. But I think you can kind of pick anybody in the rotation. I'm gonna pick the Hall of Famer, so I'm with you.
Speaker 1: But I think.
Speaker 3: Basically the answer should be any of their starters, because even lance Lynn, like he has been a godsend for them. This pitching staff would be in absolute hell right now if it weren't for lance Lynn and Bobby Miller's stepping up and plugging in, which is crazy to say about the La Dodgers, but that's where they're at the Phillies.
Speaker 2: You can talk about the rotation and this guy doesn't really feeld. But if Bryce Harper is not in the lineup, I'm not very excited about the Phillies And I don't even care, don't even care on if Bryce Harper in the lineup, I feel a lot less confident about the Phillies. And you could talk about, well, there's more impactful like Wheeler. If they don't have Wheeler, you know, the rotation looks really really thin. If they don't have you know, Trey Turner or no, it's Bryce Harper. That's my answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Harper's I mean, like again, the word him, the adjective descriptor like it gets the way too much. He is legitimately him, he has been him since he's been sixteen. That guy's as important as they come. But when I look at this rotation as well, Michael Lorenzen being acquired definitely helps hedge a lot of my concern around this rotation.
Speaker 1: And I like the back end of this this bullpen.
Speaker 3: But if you get a short start from a guy like I could just see things kind of get away relatively quickly. And I've just I don't trust Aaron Nola at all. I know he's coming off one of his best starts that we've seen, and even then he gave up a pair of long balls.
Speaker 1: Fortunately they were you know, solo shots.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with Wheeler on this one, just because he might be the only arm I trust.
Speaker 1: In a big game right now.
Speaker 3: I know Lorenzins looks good, but I know you don't trust Taiwan Walker and Christopher Sanchez like Ranger Suarez continues to get banged up and just can't stay on the field. I'm gonna go with Zach Wheeler because in a big game, this guy's probably end up thrown on short rests, like they're gonna need him to pretty much carry that pitching staff. But again, if you say Bryce Harper is the answer to anything as it pertains to success, it's not going to be incorrect.
Speaker 1: Ever.
Speaker 2: Ever, the Chicago Cubs, now, I think Cody Bellinger has been amazing for them, not just offensively, but his defense is center field and then himI Even's sliding over the first base when needed. But the addition of Himrik Candelario has been huge. You can talk about Dansby Swanson because while He's a one to fifteen WRC plus guy. The defense at shortstop is all world Nico Horner the definition of solid for the Cups. But that's the point, right, they have a lot of different important pieces on offense. If Justin Steele ain't on the bump, they're screwed.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: We've gotten some good starts from Javier Asad, who I like, Stroman is banged up. Ty On is as hit or miss as any major league starter. Right now, Justin Steele is so important to the Cub's success. If he is to go down, they are screwed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they're already trying to figure out who's gonna plug in for Stroll, Right, It's like True Smiley. If Smiley doesn't work, it's gonna be was 'n Esky. If it was n Esky doesn't work, they might bring up Jordan Wicks from TRIPAA. Like that is that is a tough spot to be Hendrick's assad. Again, those are guys that I think can get you through the regular season and keep you afloat when they're on. But this offense has been performing, and yeah, Bellinger's I think Bellinger is the most important. I think obviously the most important guy in their lineup, and he's playing like an MVP, and I don't think I don't think they're where they are without him, But you know, you do have some contingency plans at least, whereas your contingency plan to Justin Steel is kind of like it's a rap. Your contingency plan to Justin Steel is Jordan Wicks. So you get you take one of the best left handed pitchers in Major League Baseball this year, and now you bring up a really solid pitch ability guy in trip a A.
Speaker 1: That's that's the drop off.
Speaker 2: Whereas Beer, yeah, like Wess like like those guys are not filling in for Justin Steele. If Bellinger were to go down, they're able to mix and match. Maybe you plug Morell.
Speaker 3: Out there, or you just somebody around you make things happen, like you have an outfield that still includes Ian Happ, says Azuki, And you know, I think they find a way to.
Speaker 1: Make that work in a vacuum.
Speaker 3: I think Bellinger is a more valuable player, but as it pertains to the roster, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: It's it's got to be Justin Steele.
Speaker 2: San Francisco Giants are interesting because they have a lot of pitching, and they've been good in bullpen games, but there's not one offensive piece on this team that if he were to go down, I would be much more concerned about the offense. A couple of names that come to mind. Wilmer Flores has been just on a heater all year, Hiro Estrada has been good, Confordo's been good, Peterson has been good. But if Logan Web goes down, say good night, bro.
Speaker 3: Look at the roster resource for the Giants on Fangrass right now. It's actually fucking nuts. It's Logan Web. It's a red line of Kyle Harrison will start on Tuesday, August twenty second, and then it's Alex That's the whole fucking roster resource.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: I have nothing to add, dude, are you kidding me? Like they're bringing up a prospect who could be great? Kyle Harrison long term? He's walking and this is going to age poorly. I'm sure he's gonna throw a no hitter today. He's walking nearly seven per nine at the triple A level. I've never seen a roster resource like this. It's two names and a guy in red with a little asterisk next to it.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that's all we have to say. That's all we have to say. And then the last team, the Arizona Diamondbacks. Again, I'm gonna go to another pitcher. If this team news is Zach Allen, it's over. And it's easy because like Christian Walker has been fantastic, Corden Carroll is obviously incredibly impactful, could tell Marte has been great this season, Lord Screel Junior or Gabriel Breno. We could keep going like, we could just keep listing offensive players and if one of them were to go down, it would stink sucks. But if they lose, if they lose the prohibitive favor to win the National League, siye young, they are done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, oh, you don't like Brandon thought, Meryll Kelly and Slaye JACONI.
Speaker 2: I like maryle Kelly.
Speaker 3: I do like Mary Kelly a lot too, but I don't like Merril Kelly like that to your point, you know, you could to the people that would say, well, Corbyn Carroll, he's playing like one of the best players in the league. Corbyn Carroll since he kind of messed that shoulder up, has not played well. He's been well off of his season numbers, and they're eight and two in their last ten. They're playing great ball. All of a sudden, when we thought the d Backs were dead, they're right back in it. You know. I was just on on the morning after with our friend Ben Stevens and Yeah, he was saying, like, who stands out to you in that?
Speaker 1: And that hunts?
Speaker 3: And I'm like the fact that the d Backs have come back from the dead with their best offensive player not really playing right now and the acquisition of Tommy fam and you know, I think he's fitting really well to help them against leftist Yeah, I think they're they're fine offensively. Is that callen out of that rotation? It's a It's a damn rap.
Speaker 2: It's a rap, all right. So now we move on to our next question, which is going to be a fun one. The question is, if you get to create your franchise with any three players, who would they beat? Could be veterans, all stars, prospects, et cetera. Asked by Tully P. Toolly on Twitter. So basically, what we're gonna do this is a snake draft. We're gonna go back and forth and we're gonna draft the three best players that we want to start a franchise with. The only caveat is no show Hao Tawny, and you have to draft a pitcher, yeap arm Instead of doing a snake draft, We'll just go back and forth. Yes, because we only have to pick three two hitters, one pitcher.
Speaker 3: You go first, Okay, Number one, I gotta go Ronald Acunya Jr. I'm going youth. I'm going and getting I'm getting a young MVP. Like it's it's that simple. I got them forever. Uh, It's it's a no brainer to get Ronald here for me.
Speaker 2: My first pick is Mookie Betts. He's very similar to Junr. He actually has the highest F four in all of Major League Baseball. We're talking about home runs. He's one of the league leaders in home runs. But on top of it, plays in all world defensive right field.
Speaker 1: He's just that dude. Give me Mookie Bets.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 3: I'm pissed now because I thought you were gonna make my life easier. I got I gotta take Jay Rod with the next pick. I'm leaning j Rod because look you look at Since the start of the twenty twenty two season, j Rod is second among all players in f War, I like behind only show. Hey, TONI so second among all players in f War. I gotta go with the guy that's what twenty What is he twenty two? Now, I don't even All of these guys are so ridiculously young. If they're younger than me, I try to forget what their exact age is. I'm going with the guy that's extremely young, fought off a slow start, is playing out of his freaking mind, had one the best rookie campaigns we've seen. Give me j Rod as a center fielder who you know can just absolutely defend the hell out of it out there too.
Speaker 2: So for my next pick, it's interesting because I have to go with a hitter or I could go with my pitcher. Now you know what, I am gonna go with my pitcher. Now for my second pick, I'm taking all reliable, mister durable, every fifth day punching out guys. Give me Garrett Cole. Yeah, Garret Cole is gonna make thirty two starts a year. He's old though, he's gonna throw two hundred innings, but he's not battled. Right now, give me Garret Cole.
Speaker 3: That's fair, that's fair. I so my thing is like I'm trying to there's a sliding scale here of like dominance and youth, and it's like, Okay, this guy might not be quite as good, but he's young and I got him on my franchise.
Speaker 1: But like Garrett Cole is.
Speaker 3: Gonna he's gonna throw two hundred innings, I think till he like gets bored. I really think he's just going to be one of those guys. So now I have to take a picture. And you know, with I've made it well documented, especially in the call up, how much I cannot tolerate like picture risk. And you could go like Uri Perez and say, like you know, oh, he's twenty years old, and then this wonder can and like, okay, what he just did to the Dodgers. I need durability. That is like number one for me. I need durability. I'm going to go with my Homer pick. I'm going to go Sandy al Contra because you look at the age, you look at what he's able to do.
Speaker 1: I mean, even when this guy.
Speaker 3: Was struggling, like struggling through the first half of the year, he was still among the top twenty pitchers in f war because he still gave you six innings he's or seven innings like he made a gave up four earned, but at least your bullpen didn't get destroyed. You know, you're just talking about the Rangers. Like Max Schurzer. He used to be like this, but you know, struggled, only went three and two thirds. They had to pull him. Like Sam even when he's bad, we'll get out and give you six or seven. Now he's come, you know, full circle, and since the All Star break has been cy young Sandy again, and I think that's who he's going to be. Talk about another guy that's I think, same conversation with Garrett Cole in terms of two hundred innings every year, knock on wood, you never have to worry about health, gets ground balls, gets enough with and again every fifth day, I know that he's going to preserve my bullpen and there's a chance that he may just go the distance. Sandy al Contra is a throwback starter that I mean, I would love to start my franchise with.
Speaker 2: And I think you're hearing you know in this draft that arm and I really rely on durability being there every day. And I'm trying to decide between three players I'm trying to decide between jord On Alvarez, Aaron Judge, and Freddie Freeman. And who is the one name that is there every day, always hitting. It's Freddy Freeman. That is my next pick. He is third in Major League Ball and four among all hitters I know. The one I turn on a Dodgers game, Freddie Freeman is going two for four and he might even steal you a bag. He's just so consistent, so reliable. Aaron Judge is more talented of an all around player. Jordan Alvarez is a better hitter, maybe maybe, but maybe like maybe not really at this point. Freddy Freeman is just that dude.
Speaker 3: Well, if you're going to take a guy over the age of thirty to start your franchise, you should take the guy who defies the age curve. And I think Freddie Freeman absolutely defies the age car He actually reversed the age curve. I've never seen it before. He's reverse who knowed that the age curve?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: And I'm a guy that likes to like lean young. Can I tell you someone that I seriously was considering here?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: And I was so pumped that you brought him up earlier Kyle Tucker. I was seriously considering because Kyle Tucker might not win me MVPs. But I know that if I have Kyle Tucker on my ball club, and again he's young, I got ten plus years of four to five win seasons every single year moving forward. Like even if Kyle Tucker, I think he's gonna keep improving. We've been kind of waiting for that MVP ascension. It hasn't happened yet, but like the last three seasons, man, it's absurd. Twenty twenty one four point seven f F four one forty five WRC plus, thirty home runs, twenty twenty two four point eight f four thirty home runs, one twenty nine WRC plus, and then this year so far four point two f four, twenty four home runs a one forty five WRC plus.
Speaker 1: Sign me the fuck up for that every single year? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: With the defense, as you mentioned, the ability to play center, he's stealing bags more than ever, by the way, he had twenty five bags last year, twenty four already this year, Like this, dude is a walking model of consistency and by the way, walking more than he ever has, striking out less than he ever has. I really considered Kyle Tucker with the pick set of j Rod, But you know, Jay, Rodd's younger and I could still keep getting better.
Speaker 2: You went younger, and I there was a part of me that wanted to lean younger, right. I was even thinking about potentially taking Bobby with Junior, that was one of the best players in baseball. I was thinking about taking Adleie Rutchman, but you're betting on betting on Carrol. But it's just like the best bets in sports, Mookie bets, Garrett Cole and Freddie Freeman are going to be there every day just hitting home runs and impacting the game on all different facets and also being leaders in the clubhouse. They are just the gold standard. I think ronalccuney Junior should be the first overall pick because I think outside of Otani, he is the most talented, gifted player that we have in the game, and he's also been incredibly durable outside of an ACL injury, but he even played on one leg last year and was still a good player and now healthy. He's the runaway MVP. But when I do say runaway, the only people that are competing with him are Mookie Bets and Freddie Freeman, a couple other guys that I considered Francisco Lindor. At this point, there is no shortstop that is close. Yeah, when you rank shortstops, Lindor is one. He is fifth in Major League Baseball in f war twenty three bombs, twenty stolen bases, world class defense at besides catcher, the most impactful defensive position. Yeah, pitchers. Gosman every fifth day is getting his And I'll continue to say that. I think Gosman is as safe of a pitcher. What's funny? I mean, when are we gonna give Logan Webb his respect? Is just a guy who has a two to nine ERA every year. It just puts up a fifty eight percent ground ball rate and you just know what you're gonna get. Now. I'd like to see him in a very hit or friendly ballpark, right, he gets to play out there at Oracle where the weather is normally good for pitchers, and the and the park is huge. But at the same time, like he just keeps the ball on the ground so it doesn't really matter. Was there anybody else that came across your big board and you were like, I had to take him?
Speaker 3: I seriously considered Corbin, and honestly, if it weren't for like the repetitive shoulder stuff, I would have I would have taken him. But like you know, he had the surgery his his first professional season. Now since that thing like sublex again, he's I don't think it reportedly sublex, but whatever that was where he was holding holding his arm and I was like gasping for air, freaking out about him, you know it just he hasn't been the same since, and I'm like worried that that could be a repetitive thing.
Speaker 1: He's a smaller dude.
Speaker 3: But I definitely considered Corbin Carrol because he's one of my favorite players in a long, long, long time.
Speaker 1: But now I would say.
Speaker 3: It was Bobby White, like you said, Yuri Perez was a serious consideration, but like.
Speaker 1: I want to see him stretched out.
Speaker 3: I want to see, you know, it's doings, see.
Speaker 1: Him doing a little bit more. Grayson Grace Rodriguez.
Speaker 2: Ever since he's gotten called up three point zero three e R in terms of stuff plus, which grades the physical characteristics of each pitch like velocity, spin rate, all that kind of stuff, ranked sixth, right by behind Corbyn Burns. He has been a train engine for the Baltimore Oriols. So we're talking about young pitchers. Grayson Rodriguez needs to be in that conversation. And one more name for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say I had one more too. That's playing out of his mind right now.
Speaker 2: Talking about durability. Who's there every day, Marcus Semeon, Yeah, the engine that goes Yeah, he's just he's becoming my favorite player in baseball. It's just he's just so relized, heable, so reliable, and so good. Like he's not just like pretty good. He's one of the best players in baseball. Great defensively, does everything you need on the baseball field. I love him. I love Marcus Semeon. I'm I'm I'd get on a knee for Marcus. I would.
Speaker 3: The last one I would say is Gunnar Henderson. You know, slow start. I think a little bit of a reach, a little bit of area. You're going young and starting a franchise, totally get it. But like shit, he I'm saying, not going young and starting a franchise. Gunner Henderson is I think could kind of play his way into that conversation. He like cycle Pluss the other day, yeah, which was which was sick, But no, I know that one's a little bit of a reach. But at twenty he just turned twenty two, like, holy shit, and he can play. He's been playing third short like he's an awesome talent too. But I agree he's a little bit more of a reach than the other guys.
Speaker 2: All right, Question number three, which teams that are out of the hunt this year? Are you most optimistic could make a playoff push in twenty twenty four? A's by Riley mcelwine two on Instagram mcee l W A I N two. Sorry people, I'm horrible with names, but thank you, Riley.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: Mclwayanne mcawayne, arm who's the first team that comes to your mind?
Speaker 1: It's it's just.
Speaker 3: This is gonna be the new fucking Angels, the padres Man like, it has to be like they're gonna be the new La Angels and they're gonna fucking ruin my life every single year because I've always been on them. But in terms of sheer talent, like come on, like it's gotta be. There's no team that has been more loaded and been sixty and sixty six that I can remember than the Padres. So like the boring answer is them to start who are.
Speaker 1: You looking at?
Speaker 3: And then I'll give a more exciting answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm so done with the Padres. Like there's a reason, right, there's plenty of players on the Padres that we could have chosen to build a franchise around. Juan Soto is one of them. He's gonna get seven hundred trillion dollars, most likely Fernando Tatis Junior. It's having a great year kind of. He's got an no Ps under eight hundred, which not a lot of people are talking about, but he's still been incredible in right field. Twenty home runs, twenty stone bases. We know a good is Manny Machado. They can't play together like there's something there, right, They're too damn good. They have the second place finished sure in the National League. Saying, as we sit here today in Blake Snell, Joe Musgrove, you Darvish, Michael Waka has been awesome, but they don't win any games, Like you can't just point to the middle of the bullpen being the reason why they've lost games. They go down in games, they don't fight back, they go up in games. The bullpen blows it. They are not a winning team. No, it's not the same as the Blue Jays. But there's something there that is not indicative to winning, and I don't know what it is. It could be a clubhouse thing, could be a managerial thing, could be a culture thing. I don't know, but we've seen it too many times now to put our eggs in that basket. Similar with the Angels, I can't do it anymore. I don't care if Atani's on the team. I don't care if they get another O Tani.
Speaker 3: They're not winnings or just no, it's not happening.
Speaker 2: So of the teams that are not in contention, like the Reds would be my answer, but they are in contention, right, So I want to go with kind of a last place team and a team that's showing so much art, but it's hard to make an actual argument for them. But man, they show fight. The Washington Nationals. Dude, Hey, like we love c j Abrams Ling, Thomas's has stud at the play, Joey Manessa's Stone. Garrett is just raking balls.
Speaker 3: I couldn't believe that he was just let go in the minor league free agency. Basically that was crazy to me.
Speaker 2: McKenzie Gore has been good in spots, but you can see what he could possibly be. Of course, Josiah Gray and then the bullpen is horrible, but like sometimes they get out and like they just win games. Sometimes they're not like them. I like watching them.
Speaker 3: I actually don't hate that answer at all. You're also not investing in the bullpen when your team sucks, like I bet they invest a little bit more into the bullpen this coming year. And look, Dylan Cruz just skipped h A. You know he's going straight to double I guarantee the plan is for Dylan Cruz to be up next year. Will he succeed? I think at least moderately. He's Dylan fucking Cruise. So you have Dylan Cruz coming into the fold yere you hope that you get k Cavali back. I think that this team could be sneaky good next year. I also think they're gonna spend a little bit of money. The Nationals are, you know, not not to break the bank team, but they're definitely not this like perpetually cheap team. You know, I know they didn't want to pay you know, Juan Soto all of the money that he wanted, or renown all the money that he wanted.
Speaker 1: Or whatever it may be.
Speaker 3: But I do think that they're gonna spend some money this coming off season and go pick up some guys. They've got catching locked up and keep it release. They've got shorts up, as you mentioned, locked up with CJ. Abrams, They've got a couple spots in the rotation set with Josiah Gray and Mackenzie Gore. I think they can find a way to kind of piece this team together and make it not bad at all. Another boring answer would be the Cardinals, because I do like the youth that's coming up, and you know that they're kind of fun. No, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, obviously Cardinals fans obviously, but yeah, no, I I want to buy into a team that actually stinks.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Cardinals, like the Cardinals, the Padres, Like there's teams that you know that this year they be our answer. But like, let's let me, let's let's let's let's you know, find the diamond in the rough here. Let's fuck Tigers for a second.
Speaker 3: Okay, well okay, here it's Tigers versus Pirates for me right here, and you know, I look at the Pirates, you know I'm gonna go with the fucking Tigers. I'm gonna go with the fucking Tigers.
Speaker 1: I like the Tigers because I saw a couple of questions that we got kind of like. I actually kind of like them too.
Speaker 3: And God, if they just didn't have Javier Bayas, I'd feel so much better. But Riley Green is coming into his own, no doubt about it. I have talked about Carry Carpenter on this podcast for like two years now, and we're finally seeing Kerry Carpenter really really blossom into the guy who just flat out Rakes Torkosin. I hope this keeps rolling books sex Spencer Torkleson has found it like this offense is coming together. They're gonna clear some money now with Miguel Cabrera coming off the books, right I Javier Baias, he's opting in, no doubt about that.
Speaker 1: But you know, the pitching is coming together a little bit.
Speaker 2: I wants to stay a Tiger, clearly, he wants to be a career Tiger, good for Clearly he.
Speaker 1: Doesn't want to go anywhere.
Speaker 3: But they got Trek Scuogl back Matt Manning actually looks like a big league arm Like they've got guys kind of coming together here. I think this team is not bad at all as is, and I think it's gonna get stronger and stronger. I do think that they're going to spend a little bit of money too and and put this together. And they also have a pretty decent farm system. So consider me in on on the Tigers long term. I'll make that my my team here that I kind of believe in. And again, they've got other guys that are coming up through the pipeline that I think can help them.
Speaker 2: Here's my one issue with the Tigers and people who've been following my picks all year, you know, they are my one band team, and it's because I believe in them more than they believe in themselves. I keep betting on Alex Viyodo and he keeps giving up home runs. I keep betting on Resoulson and he keeps sucking. But I see something there like the expected year right, like they're all way lower because these guys have strikeout stuff. They don't really walk anyone in The hard hit rate isn't enormous. But then I bet on them and the wind is blowing in at co America and they still give up a four hundred and twenty five foot home run, and you're like, what like that would have been four eighty everywhere else, Like what is going on here? And I think that's more of just I'm betting on them in the wrong spots or something. But you talked about those first guys, like one of those pictures I fully believe is going to work. Well, both of them work. I don't know. Yeah, I agree, maybe both of them won't, but I believe that one of them is here to stay. But jeg Els, Fido and Rees Holson, I agree.
Speaker 3: And then you've got Scooball and then you've got the guys you mentioned. You've got time Adden coming up, You've got job not too too far away, and then Cole Keith is one of my favorite bats in the minor leagues. He I think he's a September call up. He's a little bit limited defensively. He is either gonna play first or third. Probably end up playing third since Torque is, you know, anchoring that that first base spot.
Speaker 1: But again that's a mash or two.
Speaker 3: I think the Tigers could be one of the more underrated young lineups and baseball the next next season.
Speaker 2: It's been agree with you more. Let's move on to our next question, but before we do, let's hear from our friends at ALT.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, by the way, that is a card that I am buying Colt Keith. I've bought plenty of and the place that you can do that is at all dot xyz. The baseball card market is heating up during the second half of the season here and as we get into the playoffs, and the only place to search for cards is all dot xyz. It's the only platform that allows you to search all the major marketplaces and eBay at once. Just download the free All app in our episode description type of player card into the search bar, and All will return every graded card available for sale. Even better, you can save the search and be notified every time that a card is available. So for me, when I'm looking for Cold Keith, don't see anything on the market at that moment, I put a little you know, save search mark there and I'll be notified anytime somebody lists a Cold Keith card, and then like Psycho, I will go and scoop that up immediately. You'll never want to use another app for researching and buying baseball cards. Ever again, it's also a great way to get a price guide on maybe a card that you pulled, a card that you bought a while ago. They have a really really advanced pricing system to get an idea of what recent sales were and what your card is worth. So go check out that link in our episode description so they know that we sent you, and I think you will never use any other app to track your baseball cards sports cards in general, and buy or sell on there as well.
Speaker 2: Our next question, out of all the teams in contention, who do you have the least faith in when it actually comes down to winning a playoff series? Asked by Alex Cornell twenty six on Instagram. I think we should give an answer for both the American League and the National League. And my National League team is very easy. My American League team is very hard. So I'll just start with the National League. If the Giants make it in the postseason, I don't see them winning against anyone. I like them. I think they can win games in the regular season in low scoring battles when they're using the bullpen. But at the end of the day, you spelled it out with their rotation. If Logan Webb loses Game one, which is possible, of course it is, it's the playoffs. They're done. It's right like they won't be able to hit enough. They don't have the power, they don't their depth in the lineup is not good. Like at sometimes they look like a last place team when they play, and then sometimes they beat the Braves four to three with Jacob Junas versus Max Free Like, sometimes that happens and it looks awesome and I'm in, But more often than not you get into the playoffs. I cannot see the Giants winning a playoff series against anyone in that's in contention right now. I really don't, cause I think other teams have upside. Right, we talk about the Diamondbacks like Gallen Kelly, you can win those games. Right If we're looking at other teams on the fringe, like the Marlins. I think the Marlins beat the Giants in a playoff series. The Phillies do, right, I think the Cubs could beat them. I think the Reds could beat them. I think the Giants of all the remaining contenders, have the least amount of upside. Decently high floor, but it's not even that high of a floor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now, I'm with you. It's it's the Giants. I mean, we're seeing a team that's again only I think their roster moves kind of scream panic mode.
Speaker 1: Right, it's fight or flight a little bit. With this team.
Speaker 3: They didn't even need to add Weay Mechwork to the forty for another year or two now, or for several more years, I believe, And now they're going to have to, you know, have a little bit more of a forty man crunch because they panicked and brought Mechler up and thought that he could be a better option than you know, Elliott Ramos or Luis Manto. So we're also kind of panic options, and you know, and how they pick up Paul de Young and like they're just trying everything right now. And I think a team that's throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks it kind of tips their hand already as probably one of the more vulnerable teams in the Hunts. You know, I would I would highlight the Marlins, but when you have, I mean, you saw what Uri Perez did to the Dodgers. I mean that was unbelieva. I was one of the best rookie pitching performances I've seen basically since Spencer Strider. But besides that, like I can't remember a much better rookie pitching performance recently. Then you have, you know, you hope Lizardo turns it around. Like they just have so many arms and the bats have come alive a little bit. I feel better about that team being a little bit more complete than the Giants. I'd highlight the Reds, but they're gonna get Lodolo back very soon.
Speaker 1: They have greenback.
Speaker 3: I know his first start was a disaster, but you know, he's still better than Luke Weaver. And they've been hanging around and Ellie's playing better. I'm with you. I think I think the Giants are the obvious answer here.
Speaker 2: Who's your team in the American League? Because this one is is interesting because it's not the Ashos, it's not the Rangers, it's not the Mariners. It's probably not the Twins, because I think that the Twins can get you if their bats are hot, their pitching is so good, and their bullpen, when Rocco Baldelli puts in the right arms in the right situations, they can be good. It's not the Orioles. I still think that if the Rays have Efflin Civalian Glass, now it's tough to beat. So I'm trying to decide between the Blue Jays and the Red Sox, and you might say, yeah, it's definitely the Red Sox. They they keep winning, like the Blue Jays are so disappointing on them. They can't hit Vlattie. I mean, I could just go for days about how disappointed I am in him. But when the Blue Jays and the Red Sox play each other, the Red Sox win. When the Blue Jays play the Organs, the Orioles wine. The Blue Jays an't winning it against the eliast but they can't really hit at home. Why he is an ops under seven hundred at home?
Speaker 1: I think what's with the Canada effect on some of these guys.
Speaker 2: Both in Jordan Romano pitches in the United States that he's like a decent reliever that he pitches in Canada.
Speaker 3: He's bar yeah, Rivera. It's it's bizarre. And to your point, though, the Red Sox against teams over five hundred, thirty three and thirty three, you look at the Blue Jays against teams over five hundred, the thirty seven and forty. That might not sound like the biggest difference, but when you're a team that's three games behind them, you shouldn't have, you know, a better record against teams better than five hundred. Again, Boston, now they struggle with them. They kind of play down to their competition. We saw them lose the series to the Nationals. We saw them struggle with the Royals. They're thirty one in I gotta find below five hundred. I don't think it's been very good for them. And you know, you look at what the Blue Jays have done. They just torch teams that are below five. So you know, for me, it's one of those interesting spots where I, on paper, I don't trust the Red Sox pitching, but like shit, man, then fucking Cutter Crawford goes out there and gives you a gem, you know, and then you know, Chris Martin to Kenley Jansen right now.
Speaker 1: Is lights out. It's lights out with those two. So I'm gonna go with the Twins.
Speaker 3: I know you you eliminated them, and I love the Twins, like I've tried to talk myself into this Twins team, but this offense, man, I just see them stalling out the same way we saw the Mariners stall out last year against the Astros, where you're just like, holy shit, they're not gonna score a run, like, oh my god, and even when the pitching holds up there under the bargain, you're sitting there and you're like, they're not gonna get the one run that they need to get. Everyone's punching out, like Edward Julian like has this like come down to Earth moment in the playoffs, or hey, Polonco gets banged up again, Correa keeps being a shell of himself, kepler like faces a lefty. I don't know, I just see it, like, oh, Royce Lewis like runs into the first baseman, and then it's like Matt Woner, Ryan Jefferson, Joey Gallows striking out and then Michael A. Taylor rounding things like I already see it, bro, Like I just I already see it. And it kills me because I fucking love this team. They're so there's so much fun. They're like my MLB the Show team. But fuck, I can't watch them anymore.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 3: I'm so sick of it, and I think they're very flawed and I follow some Twins folks.
Speaker 1: They can't stand their own team.
Speaker 3: I just saw a headline the other day that was Twins considering Byron Buxton in the outfield.
Speaker 1: The fuck you mean?
Speaker 3: Like I understand why that they haven't had him out there, but like, that's a headline that they're considering Byron Buxton in the outfield. Like, I can't do it with this fucking team, man, I I'm most concerned about them.
Speaker 1: That's it. Like, that's it.
Speaker 2: Max Kepler faces the left team. That was beautiful. I'm switching my answer to the Twins. You're right, like the Jays versus Twins, who's winning that series? The Blue Jays are really How.
Speaker 3: Was Kaiko gets the ball in Game five? Spinning it like eighty five mile an hour sinker? Like I can't do it, man, You and Jack are obsessed with the Twins. I feel like I've always known them. They're just not they're frauds. They're frauds.
Speaker 2: I've just I you know, it's funny because I've seen the Yankees so many times in the playoffs when I didn't think the Yankees were good enough, and then they fuck up the Twins, and I'm like, Okay, but we have a shot. Then we get Steve rold By the Ashos or somebody else. I'm like, well, there you go. Like it was like the Yankees against the Guardians last year, where they at least like the Guardians took them to five. Yeah, they've taken the Yankees to five. Like there's not a team. There may be a gentleman's.
Speaker 3: They're not a team that battles to me and and grinds it out and steals one.
Speaker 1: It's like that, and well.
Speaker 2: Deli puts, oh yeah, Martin in a tie game because it's a lefty when the lefty is reverse splits like, come on, we gotta be better. And then I hear from Twins Twitter, It's like, what do you mean, Gravonni moranz is our lefty? Get a better lefty because it ain't working.
Speaker 3: I'm with you, I'm with you, God you it.
Speaker 2: I just fucking read the Twins. I'm sorry Twins fans, but come on, we see what you see what we're seeing. All right, let's keep going. This is a good one, arm and this one, this one's for you. But I have my answer, but I'm sure you have multiple answers. Which trade has the highest chance of flaming out at this deadline. From last season, it was probably the Tyler Malley deal. So what is it this season? If we remember Tyler Mallley was traded in exchange for Spencer Steer and Christian and Carnacion Strand, who are both contributors this year for the Reds, and Tyler Mallley has not really pitched for the Minnesota Twins. That was asked by Naoki Baseball nerd on Instagram. I'm just gonna give you my answer first, and then you can agree or disagree, because I know you're gonna have multiple answers. Yeah, Kyle Manzardo was traded for Aaron Savali. Now, Aaron Savali is a good pitcher, but Kyle Manzardo is one of those guys that I think you're gonna put in a lineup for a long time and he's gonna hit fifth for a decade.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like you look at his stats, right, you even look at his swing. It's a sweet swing, but there's no real swing and miss. There are tons of walks, there's doubles, there's home runs. Like that was a big piece to give up. Now I understand it from the race perspective, they had a crunch. They have so many first base third base prospects. So I'm not saying the Rays were completely wrong to trade him. It wasn't like they needed him anyway. But just looking back on that trade, I think Manzardo is gonna be one of the better hitters for the Guardians for a long time. Well, Aaron Savali is probably gonna be pretty good for the race for a season or two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, that's the thing is like it's tough because it's like there's the lens of yes.
Speaker 1: Savali is probably one of the only reasons why they have.
Speaker 3: A pulse at this point. Well, okay, great, you have a pulse, you get balanced in the wild card round, and and now you don't have a first baseman for seven years, like you traded away a guaranteed starting first basement with you know, six seven years of control. For what I mean, there's a reason why the Guardians moved Josh Bell won financially two. It was that they believe in Menzarto to the degree that I think he can, you know, be that first basement for them, nailor can dh and play a little outfield whatever. They'll they'll move it around they'll figure it out, but I think Menzarto was a big part of that, and I think he's one of these. I have him in my right up on top of on our top one hundred list as the one of the safest offensive profiles in the minor league. So you know, I thought that that easily could be one that they regret. I weirdly a small deal that and I'll get to a more exciting one, but I just want to mention before I forgot. I think it's weird that the Brewers just decided to move off Luis Arias so quickly for what like Bradley Blaylocks. And you know, you know, a random right handed pitcher like Arius has already swung it pretty well. We've seen him in the past swing it really well. I thought that was a weird, random kind of like dump off there. But I think the number one, number one, number one, number one thing, it's gonna be the Lucas Giolito trade. I I just I wanted the Angels to stand pat. I wanted him to maybe even soft buy like we saw the Padres do right and go get a rich Hill might end up giving similar production to what they got from Lucas Giolito.
Speaker 2: That's that's so beat to Giliito. Rich Hill has been horrible, has been bad too.
Speaker 1: How bad is rich Oban? Can you pull the numbers up?
Speaker 2: It's three innings, like I know what it is. Okay, Okay, maybe three innings, seven hits, five earned every single outing.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, at least thank you for holding me accountable. I won't I won't be too hyperbolic, but because that is, he has been horrible. Okay, has been bad. Okay, last start, last last start from rich Hill, five innings, two hits, three runs, three.
Speaker 2: K's okay, Okay, you don't want to take it back.
Speaker 3: But no, my point being now, like Gilito was never gonna move the needle for you, like he's a mid four ZR guy. You knew that when you got him and Raynaldo Lopez like if he had control, I'd get it. Rental reliever, rental starter. That's crazy. I was pounding the table for the Angels to keep Otani and I stand by that, and I would have liked them to add that's fine too, but they they added I think an asset that doesn't help them that much, that is a rental and they also traded somebody for that like in that deal that I think is there was probably their best prospect and probably one of their better options. And since the trade, by the way, Edgar Caro, switch hitting catcher who's twenty years old in double A three twenty eight, three eighty nine four fifty nine slash line as a switch hitting catcher with a ten percent walk rate and fifteen percent k rate in double A, Caro is going to be their starting catcher at some point next year, and Lucas Gilito will be pitching in LA or something like that, and not not for the Angels, for like the Dodgers or something like that. That one blows my mind because Carol, I think they sold him at the lowest possible value and for two rentals that that was.
Speaker 1: That's one that I think they'll regret for a really long time.
Speaker 2: The thing is they do have logan Ohapi though kind of similar to the race they could trade from you know, a surplus.
Speaker 3: No doubt, and I would have used that to go get Lorenzen or you know, somebody else, just anything else.
Speaker 2: The Phillies got Lorenzen for their an infield prospect that I'm how you don't care about.
Speaker 3: How you lee who is like a similar offensive profile, slightly diminished and set like stuck at second base, so like you have a catcher.
Speaker 2: Like football Tigers, Like what are we doing there? Right?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I thought they could have.
Speaker 2: Done the prospects. They're gonna regret the prospects, like Tigers, can we be better?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, you just you just saw what Edgar Carrow got you. If you attached Folly or something, you could have got a haul. And that's kind of what I'm talking about here, is like if you dangled Caro elsewhere, to me, it was just like a panic move. A lot of teams I think would have given up more for Edgar Caro. And you know that's I don't mind trading Carrow. I floated him as one of the best trade chips going into the season and going into the trade deadline, like that's what you cash it in for a rental Giolito and a rental Reinaldo Lopez when you know it's unlikely that you make the playoffs Like that one I think is really going to uh sting for them for a while, because I do think he's gonna be a big league piece for for a good time. And then I don't think that the I don't think that the Blue Jays are gonna miss Matt Swanson very much. Uh, because I won't pretend to know anything about Matt Savonson. But he acquired Paul de Young and then just defade him three weeks later, So you basically just gave away Matt savonsin that one's got to be in the conversation too.
Speaker 2: I saw this question from our guy Kyle Taylor Portraits, who again shout out, made all of these behind me go check them out on Instagram, just to wrap up, because that was our last question. But he said, and I'm not sure exactly what he said, but I know it was about the Cardinals, because I think he's a Cardinals fan. He was like, does it say anything about the Cardinals front office that they kept Paul the Young this entire time, kind of traded him for nothing, and that a team gets Paul the Young and DFAs him three weeks later? Does it say anything about the Cardinals? It made me laugh, I'm not sure exactly made laugh.
Speaker 3: It kind of does like the Cardinals are sit on their hands like none others are you? How excited are you to talk about the Cardinals this offseason.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not at all, because they said the team is different, same thing, Cardinals fans. I'm going to scream into this mic. Yeah, they said arting pitching. They said the team's going to look different, and I think by that they're just going to like change the jersey color or something like that's your fire. Yeah, they're actually there, gonna come up with some sick jerseys Cardinals wherever they are, whether it's the baby blue weather, it's just the whites of the reds fire jerseys. The problem is they don't really win baseball games and are them I'm not patting myself on the back because I didn't even end up betting it, but I'm gonna keep bringing it up. And that's the reason, folks, because I always sometimes get dms like why do you guys bring up odds so much? Because sometimes the odds makers know more than we do at the beginning of the season and not sometimes kind of all of them all the time. But there's sometimes where you can go into the market and win bets, obviously, But like there's a reason Vegas is so shiny with all the water.
Speaker 1: Say, there's a reason why there's castles in the Desert Man.
Speaker 2: On bet MGM, the Cardinals were minus one ten to win the Central and I stared at that line on this podcast and I was like, I'm not saying the Cardinals are not gonna win the division, but there's no fucking way I'm betting on the Cardinals to win this division. Look at that stinky ass line. But we did hit the market Arizona, and i'mbacks over seventy four and a half wins. Our biggest bet on this podcast bombs. They're eleven wins away. Baby, it is in the middle of August.
Speaker 3: Give us the give us a castle in the desert.
Speaker 1: They botched that one.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you bet MGM for the free money, and thank you all for listening to this episode. This was the mail bag. We had a bunch of other questions, but of course arm and I get talking, and we'll have plenty of mail bags downline, and plenty of one in the off season two. Not a lot of team specific, but I feel like we did touch I feel like on every single team, and if we didn't touch on your team, let us know when. The comment section will be sure to answer your questions moving forward. But the best way to support the just Baseball Show is to get yourself some Just Baseball merch. You can find that end of the episode description. Arms, Rock in the fire Polo you can find those in the episode description. Check out our sponsors right card collectors, go get all it's free. It's in the episode. It's going to save you money on cards for all my gamblers out there. Bonus bets every Wednesday, every Saturday on bet MGM and then when you use KOJ Just Baseball up to one thousand dollars in bonus bets when you sign up. But if you don't like cards, you don't like gambling, you don't want to leave a comment, you don't want to do anything, you don't want to spend a time, we get it. I mean it'd be nice if you did, but I get it. If you could at least rate and review this podcast five stars, whether it be on Spotify or Apple Podcasts. And if you're feeling generous, we'd love a written review. Sometimes when I'm having a bad day, I go check out those written reviews. They're phenomenal. We love you, guys. We'll be back tomorrow. That's arm I'm Peter, And with that, thank you everybody,