Speaker 1: Ring, ring, ring ring. May I please speak with Zoe?
Speaker 2: Oh, hello, Lamarne. Let's patch in, Hannah.
Speaker 3: God, I forgot what it was like working with you, guys.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna start with a little introduction.
Speaker 4: How's that is that?
Speaker 2: Okay? Yeah, I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 5: She's a writer, producer, and television showrunner. As a screenwriter, she's known for creating New Girl, the.
Speaker 2: Rom Corom, You good, Are you good?
Speaker 6: So good?
Speaker 2: Guys?
Speaker 5: It takes me like at least only fourteen times to read something through, to get it, get it out properly.
Speaker 2: Okay, guys.
Speaker 5: She's a writer, producer, television showrunner, and as a screenwriter, she's known for No Strings Attached ABC sitcom Single Parents, and Blessed This Mess. And she was nominated for Emmy for writing and producing the critically acclaimed Hulu drama The Dropout. She's also an accomplished playwright, and guys, she created New Girl. Please Welcome, The One, the Only, also the hottest writer I know, Liz Merriweather.
Speaker 4: Liza, you obviously don't know many writers I am. I would just want to be clear, because this is audio, that I am not hot.
Speaker 2: You are very hot. You are very hot, very hop what's up. Welcome to Welcome to our show.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited to be here. This is amazing and I can't believe you guys are doing this.
Speaker 6: I mean, this is how much we love the show and love each other that we're all back, still hanging out every week.
Speaker 7: That's what you did. That's what you did.
Speaker 4: We missed.
Speaker 2: We miss you, though, Liz, we miss you.
Speaker 4: I miss it.
Speaker 2: So nice to see your face.
Speaker 4: Its nice to be here, like talking to you guys about the show, because it's like it was. I don't know, I like, it's such a crazy experience of being like so close to so many people and then Nick it just ending and you're like having to kind of move on with your life.
Speaker 2: No, we love we love it, and it's true.
Speaker 5: It's like, I feel like the only thing you can kind of compare it to is like going to like middle and high school with like the same group of people that you get really close to, and all of a sudden you graduate and you're like, wait, I don't get to see those people every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so strange.
Speaker 4: It's very strange. And I think all of us were, like, you know, in our like twenties or early thirties and then it's it was just like a real like period of time in our lives. You know. I was like, sure, okay, all right when I.
Speaker 2: Was only nineteen. So it's kind of yeah, we're babies. We're just chill.
Speaker 1: Well, we got you, We got you here, and we're we're very excited about it. We've been talking about it for a long time. I know fans have been talking about it for a long time, you know. And this this won't be a traditional interview episode. We're not going to interview you. You know, you've answered. I might ask you a question here or there, but this won't be that typical interview episode of Welcome to Our Show. Instead, we're gonna actually, you know, break down an episode with you. It's the finale of season one. We're just going to talk about it a little bit, maybe share some thoughts that we have on this episode, and just go through it a little bit and play some games, some weird games, which you know which we do. So well, here I'm going to start by just giving a little quick recap of the episode for folks out there who maybe hadn't seen it in a while. So here we go. On this week's episode, everyone is in love, but they're too afraid to say it, So Jess he grows desperate to convince Nick to stay at the loft. That's his move out day is slowly, slowly approaching. So some of what Jess must what she said must have sunk in with Nick, obviously, because he starts to freak out, starts to go a little crazy on his way to Caroline's apartment, and he ends up driving the guys to the desert. Now, for a second, it seems like Nick has calmed down a little bit, but when Winston mentions taking him to Caroline's, Nick tosses his keys off of a cliff with a stupid move. Now, Jess arrives to save the day, obviously, but seeing Nick in a hurry to get to Caroline causes just to also quote unquote throw her keys into the wilderness as well. So stupid move now. Then, Schmidt tells Jess he's breaking up with c C because he doesn't think that he can make care happy, which he probably cannot. Now she begins to view her actions as selfish and encourages Nick to follow his heart, which he does right back to the loft. Now, let's get back to the podcast and let's die right on it. Do you remember this guys? Yeah, do you remember all this? I remember it.
Speaker 7: Because I guess this was your Yeah, you came up with the story for this first hearing.
Speaker 4: Hearing the recap just tells you, like how convolution. I mean, there was so many there were so many like holes in the story. Like I mean, not to mention like where we shot it, you could see cars going by and just it's like clearly like they could have gotten to civilization. Like also any of like anybody could have found anyone's keys, like within an hour, you know, like it's not like there's not like they're not like throwing them into like the ocean anything. It's it's like one of those episodes that's I mean, the finale. It's like the first season is so exciting, but we were also just all so wiped out. We were so tired, and that you could kind of like see that in the story breaking. But I still it's still I still love it so much, and I have like a really like deep love of it because I feel like it was, you know, it was just such an accomplishment that first season. I just remember being like I can't believe that you know, we're doing a finale like at this show.
Speaker 6: Where did that initial idea come from? Like I saw that this story was by you, right, you are the one who came up with this season finale, And so where did that idea come from for Nick to just keep driving and end up in the desert.
Speaker 4: First of all, the credits aren't always exactly accurate in terms of like who does what, And I don't honestly remember. I think it was probably don't. I don't remember like who came up with like the specifics of the story. I remember being really excited about him having all of his stuff from his room and just being able to like set up his room in the desert and like that. And I really loved the visual of that and just kind of like all of you guys like sitting out in the in the desert with like his staff and you know, like bundled up with his clothes. And I also loved the the mixtape and the like music and the kind of like that that that those crazy old songs and I love that.
Speaker 5: I love that frame of the mixtape is like one of my favorite things about this episode is that like the mixtape kind of like moves the story along like it bookends it and then you know, like it also makes like those moments memorable, Like each moment like kind of has a song associated with it, and then they're like kind of you know, a lot of them are from the nineties, and then you know there's obviously the ac DC song like at.
Speaker 4: The very end.
Speaker 5: But but it's it's it's it's a fun way to kind of like get that like the kind of like nice accompaniment to like the emotional arc of the episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if I really love that part. I love that part of the episode much more than the the details of the plot, which are not amazing. But like I think it's it's like a really I think classic New Girl story in that, like I said, there's like problems with the structure, but it and I love that sort of not a lot happens, like I think, like what the story feels like, it's more of a almost a vibe, you know, where you're just like, Okay, it's a bunch of people in the desert kind of freaking out about moving forward, and so they're just stuck there and there's a literal moving van, you know. So it's just like I thought that that was a kind of good feeling, like yeah, yeah, I really like. The other thing I say is like, I know you said in the recap, which, like I said, was a difficult to follow, but but you were saying in the recap that everyone was in love. But I actually think that what was tricky about this this episode was that Jess couldn't realize that she was wanting Nick to stay because she was in love with him, Like that wasn't happening yet, you know. So I think there was a little bit of and and Nick couldn't also realize that he that it all had to be subtexts between them, but they had to kind of make these big decisions for some reason or another, you know.
Speaker 1: So, I think that.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say that I was like, I feel like you brought me on this podcast to like formally apologize to you for your for your story in this episode.
Speaker 5: Where is Winterton at emotionally when he comes up the hill with pants, That's what I.
Speaker 1: Want to If you can loved with an animal, he probably just spent there.
Speaker 4: We never we definitely never revisited your fear of the dark on the show, Like that never resurfaced.
Speaker 2: Did we need to he conquered it.
Speaker 1: That's what happened out there. He conquered it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: One of the best things about the episode, and I rewatched it, I realized and it's kind of one of those like art blurring into life and vice versa things, is that we all were so tired. It was a long season and we did it and we were all literally in the desert. It was like, I feel like, over an hour drive and we had to all be there all day.
Speaker 7: It was dusty and hot, and.
Speaker 6: You see moments, you genuinely see moments of Jake instead of Nick, like when he's doing breakfast at Tiffany's.
Speaker 7: His character is supposed to be obsessed.
Speaker 6: With that song and he doesn't know the words, and it's just Jake being like, I'm just gonna my way through it and just commit.
Speaker 7: And that's just Jake. And you see Max when he's trying to hold Jake back.
Speaker 5: On the mouth at the end, Yeah, Screenfield, this is this isn't the desert.
Speaker 6: You see Max break out of the fight with the biggest smile on his face that he was just hugging Jake like that, and that's just pure Max. That was on a Schmid moment and like it was just nice to see like all of these these I don't know, parts of ourselves just kind of the show.
Speaker 4: It was like it was the beginning of that, like yes, like the fusing of like the character with the actor. You know. I feel like by the end of season one it was like we I don't know. I don't know about you guys, but I was like shocked that it was that big of a hit and I was exhausted and it felt like both exciting and like the end of a marathon. Like I just was I was at that I was running on feels at that point, and I feel like everyone was, and so you know, it's like at that that point, I think we were all like a little bit giddy too, Like it was kind of like, oh my god, this is over. I have a break.
Speaker 5: And it's a great like analogy because I don't know if anybody has ever been to like the end of a marathon, like when you see people running off it is insane because people like literally like just start crying, collapse, like are are euphoric. There's so many different emotions like at the end of like a very very long run, Like I did feel like at the end, like we had so many emotions. It was very satisfying, it was very like exciting to finish it. But we also like did twenty four episodes like I'd never done even like I mean, I think I'd done like a few episodes of TV, but I'd never done anything about movies before this. I hadn't done twenty four episodes of Tea is a lot.
Speaker 1: I could tell you for me that this is I think it's because of the exhaustion was where I felt like this episode definitely helped me as far as character development. Prior to this episode, I know I was I I talk about all the time how in my head I was. I was just trying to keep up with everyone and trying to figure out who this character was. And this episode, probably because of the exhaustion, you know, there was a lot of freedom for me to just say a bunch of silly shit and I, you know, did it works. I thought, man, this is so that's what everyone has been doing on this show.
Speaker 2: And don't have a basketball.
Speaker 1: That makes sense to me. It's fine that I got small fingers, It's fine. And yeah, so I think that that the exhaustion for sure definitely helped me in the storyline obviously did silly shit, I'm afraid of the dark, and then there were a wolf. I think that type of stuff definitely helps prepare you for for the future of the of the you know, a seventh season run for sure.
Speaker 5: I want to ask a question to everybody. It's like, take a survey as anybody spent meaningful time with a coyote like before this experience.
Speaker 6: I've seen him down a road and I am not nod respectfully and I back away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they run through my neighborhood, but that's about it.
Speaker 5: Did you ever spend meaningful time with the coyote before this episode?
Speaker 4: Oh my god. I was just going to say, like I remember, like that is what I remember, like so clearly. It was like because we were shooting, we were shooting nights, but like the night was like we were shooting night at the end of the week. I think that because we were always scheduled the nights for the end of the week, and that that was really when I was just like I was living in like a dream stay and then I was like I think, was like, what are the last things we shot? And there was it was just the amount of like everyone like everyone has to be still and quiet and like standing up against like up against the rock or something. And then like this like cage with a coyote came like walk it was like walked down like past all of the crew members who were like standing quietly, and I was like yeah, I was like no comment, but like yeah, I think, Like I was like so terrified. It was just like, oh my god, what is this coyote gonna do? And then like they opened the cage and it's like this little guy, it's like this little cute like like coyote that looks like really cute and well fed and like well taken care of and like this stuff. And then I was like, oh my god, we wrote this whole scene where like Nick and Jess are so afraid of this coyote that they're frozen for like a really long time together like stuck there. And then and then you would like cut over to the coyote and it was like the cutest and it was like nothing about this episode makes any sense, like story one, because it was like they obviously would have just like walked away from the coyotes, Like what was that, Like what was that coyote going to do to them like I was.
Speaker 8: So that was like so sneaky, and I also remember it was like I don't remember the details, but like we definitely couldn't get we couldn't get the coyote to like do anything we needed it to do, and we definitely couldn't get the coyote to look scary at all.
Speaker 4: So it was just and we had like we were like running out of time and like you know, so it's just like putting a camera on this like poor sweet, sweet little guy and like like trying to get him like do anything that was at all menacing or like as if he were wanting to eat anybody. I don't know, do you remember this.
Speaker 5: His name was come Manchi, they must come anchi and agree, but he was They were like the this was a lot of acting, Like there was a lot of acting because the coyote was scared of us, Like they were like, he's terrified of you. So we like most of our side there was like no coyote. Obviously the coyote wasn't doing off camera acting for us, but the coyote like whenever we were like all in a shot together, we basically couldn't move because the coyote would just literally run away because coyotes are scared. Coyotes are scared of humans.
Speaker 1: What I like the most about this coyote is that he kept hissing. It was like a little.
Speaker 7: Added after that was.
Speaker 6: I know you more, They probably like, could you give us some few hisses? We just need it for the episode, don't ask my god, I know, I'm so glad.
Speaker 4: You brought that up, Latre, And I like totally forgot that we added that because we couldn't because it wasn't scary, Like I don't know, Oh my god, totally forgot that.
Speaker 1: You may as well have added more to it still wasn't scared.
Speaker 5: But the coyote there was a lot of editing. There was a lot of acting. There was a lot of editing that had to be done to like really lift the coyote up.
Speaker 4: I totally had forgotten the like that we added those hisses, And I'm so glad that you brought it up because I was like, I like like we told like we that was the main issue, was like it was not scary at all until we like needed to like put little like I don't know, like as if that that isn't scary, you're just like, what animal is that? Because coyotes don't maybe scary because you're like, is that an actually actually a coyote. The other thing I remember, I feel like I actually watched the episode on television for some reason, which I never really had to. I usually would watch the episodes online, but like they on on television, they had put it's so I mean, it sounds it's like so old, like you actually watch it on television when it was airing, but like they put like a hashtag meet meep like over hashag. I remember. It's just like I was like such a like artiste and I was like, they've ruined this scene.
Speaker 1: Meet me.
Speaker 6: One of my favorite things about that scene is that Nick is hiding behind Yes, the entire scene like really aggressive, holding you, Zoe and and trying to small his body behind you.
Speaker 1: He wasn't hiding, He wasn't hiding, He was calm her down. He was trying to get her out met me. He was trying to protect.
Speaker 7: Her using just as a human shield.
Speaker 1: I would have done.
Speaker 4: Do you guys remember shooting the dancing?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, I remember. You know, it's actually funny because watching it, I'm like, everybody's got some moves.
Speaker 2: There's some good moves. Did Max to a backflip? He looked like he was made out of paper.
Speaker 7: I was like, how did.
Speaker 4: He do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I did not dance because my character wouldn't do that in that moment, because I was all about character and I just banged on the wall.
Speaker 6: I was watching the dancing and all I could think was, Wow, that looks exhaustingthartic. Maybe just to like go totally insane and get to do whatever you want feels good but also exhaustic.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I feel like season one was the only time, like like Jake just got like more like last and less enthusiastic about doing any dance scenes like as the show went on and I remember like this this season, he like was like up for anything. My question, you can, yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: We talked about and then then we'll go to a break. But we talked about a little bit about the music. A couple questions. The budget must have been so high having you know, unless these songs are just super cheap the music. I don't think the budget ac dc aw bizarre breakfast at Tiffany's.
Speaker 4: No, I mean I know we were like we I think because the finale as a whole. Wasn't that expensive? You know, like I think it was like okay, we're like going to this as there. I mean, I don't remember the details, thank god, but you know, and I can't imagine that that that Commanche the Coyote was that expensive. And I don't know, but I also know that we'd like saved money for for the finale and that you know, at that point, like like we were a big we were a big hit, and they were kind of like okay, like what do you you know, like do you want to I guess like being a big hit was like we'll pay for how bizarre?
Speaker 7: So you know you made it when.
Speaker 4: So we had an amazing music supervisor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah we did.
Speaker 4: Yeah we.
Speaker 7: Liz, Yeah, Liz.
Speaker 4: Let's list.
Speaker 6: So when we were talking about creating this podcast, it was really like spurred on one because we missed each other, but two because we still all get approached I'm sure you do all the time by people who have these pretty involved questions, usually about the show, and we do our best to answer them, but we are not the all knowing like you are.
Speaker 7: So we've been asking listeners.
Speaker 4: They're very luckily, I very luckily don't get approached very much because nobody knows what I look like, so that's awesome. Thank you for taking them.
Speaker 1: They will now because this is going online.
Speaker 6: So we have had people sending in their questions, voice notes, emails throughout our season here on welcome to our show, and saving them up for you. So, oh my gosh, couple for you to solve the mysteries a New Girl with Here we go.
Speaker 9: Hi.
Speaker 4: My name is Lauren and a huge New Girl. As I'm sure many of your other listeners are.
Speaker 10: It's definitely a comfort show for me, especially as I enter my.
Speaker 4: Twenties and mid twenties.
Speaker 10: But my question pertains to guest stars on the show. I've read on a couple places online that there were some guest stars that requested to be part of New Girl, whether it was for a quick episode or recurring storyline, And I'm just wondering if that's true, and if it is true, which guest stars were ones that requested to be on the show, rather than the crew proactively going out and seeking them to be guest stars.
Speaker 4: Thanks well, I think Hannah. I think Hannah, you know the answer to this.
Speaker 6: Maybe there was one big one that knocked on your door. That's for sure.
Speaker 2: Well, it came to me. It came to me first, guys.
Speaker 5: I got the weirdest email of all time, Like I think, I mean, what was it season three that we had them on? Like season two? I got this email like hello, I am manager for legendary artist Prince. And I'm like, this is a somebody is branking me, Like this can't be real. And so I called my agent and I was like, can you see if this is really Prince's manager? And he checked it out and he was like, it appears to actually be his manager, at which point I was like, okay, it was. It was a ransom note, and and they said I have Prince. I'm not letting him go until he gets to be on New Girl.
Speaker 4: I like, I like the manager. I like that the manager felt the need to put like legendary artists Prince.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh I know who he is as opposed to yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh that old guy, yeh Prince.
Speaker 6: Was there anyone else Liz that like came to you and said they'd love to be part of the show.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's honestly, I guess after after that one, everything else kind of faded away.
Speaker 7: No, I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't remember that, but I remember, like, you know, I remember people being really excited to hear from us, and I don't remember like other people.
Speaker 2: Did Taylor Swift want to be on?
Speaker 5: I feel like Taylor Swift liked the show and that she like she learned this show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't remember the details of like I remember that she that she said that she watched it. But where did we hear that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I did that. I was asked to give her an award.
Speaker 5: Okay, it was probably like yeah American. It was like one of these big music Billboard awards, maybe in Vegas, and they were they had asked me because they said she loved New Girl, and so maybe I kind of gave that info to casting.
Speaker 1: I remember being at a party, one of those fancy I don't know me or something parties. Liz and you were there.
Speaker 4: Were you invited to that party or did you know?
Speaker 1: I was working?
Speaker 5: He was working, he was a little side job.
Speaker 1: I was catering the party and I and I remember speaking with Tay Diggs at the party, him telling me how much he wanted to be on the show. And you were there, and I said, well, Liz mary Well is right, over there, and then I just remember him being on the show. I don't remember if you guys spoke, I don't remember what happened to I.
Speaker 4: Feel like if you'd been like Lisbie or there's right over there, I would have like hid behind a bush or something. I don't know where she went, like she was right there. That's crazy. Oh yeah, I didn't remember that. I mean. The Taylor Swift thing was like I just like I was such a huge fan of hers, like obviously because I think her music is on the show like multiple times. But like I remember, like I they introduced someone introduced me to her on set and I just was like hi, and then like kind of like walked away because I can't actually speak to you.
Speaker 2: Because I was in charge.
Speaker 5: Somehow I became in charge of like handling people that were too famous for everyone else to handle, Like like Prince. No one wanted to talk to him, and he was like sitting by himself and everyone's like, so we go sit next to him. So I was like, Okay, hey, Prince, how do you knowing you have a fun you want some snacks or something. Same with Taylor, like everyone was too scared to talk to her, so I.
Speaker 2: Was like, all right, I sat with.
Speaker 5: Her while she got her makeup done. Got I'm pretty sure I like got her some snacks. She was so low maintenance and low key. She was like and we I remember like Georgie or makeup artist gave her like she said, I liked this like lip gloss thing, and Georgie let her have it, and she was like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: It was so sweet, you know, like it's like she's just a normal gal. But yeah, somehow, like I ended up spending the periods of time because because everyone else was afraid of them, I.
Speaker 4: Think, Zoe, I feel like that's technically like should have been my job, but I'm like too awkward. I'm too nervous and awkward to like do that. So thank god we had you.
Speaker 5: So honestly, that was like my when I was like a kid, I was like the friendly kid that would be like when the would be a new kid in class, they'd be like.
Speaker 2: So we go sit next to them.
Speaker 5: So I'd always be like the person like, Hi, welcome to our class. So maybe it maybe I was prepped for it, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Lamore and we had a handler that was like keep Lamar away from.
Speaker 1: I'm just just I never met her. I think I think the schedule was actually changed, and then all of a sudden that wasn't and I was like, okay, cool. And then the next day I come back into everyone was like, man, how crazy was Taylor swift Man? That was wild? And I was like a couple of questions, one who is that? And then two at the time, I don't think I knew who she was.
Speaker 4: It is really wild. I mean, I know, we should probably do another question, but it's wild. Like the like guest stars that became famous, like after the show, you know what I mean, Yeah, Olivia Rodrigo, Like I was like, did you guys already talk about that? Like I was like I couldn't believe. Yeah, you know, just like some of the people.
Speaker 7: I was like, I like, my gosh, yeah.
Speaker 4: Tiffany, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And I was on the show. Wait, yes, on the show. Don't did I work with her?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I don't think I worked with her.
Speaker 1: Damon and Max I want to say.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's random, incredible.
Speaker 7: Who said that? Like one line?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Randall, yeah, Quinta, yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 5: Sarah Baker, guys, Sarah Baker she's so funny.
Speaker 2: She was on The Kaminsky Method. She's like one of the leads on that show. She's really really funny.
Speaker 5: She played the person with the dog like in one of the final episodes.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing.
Speaker 6: I feel like everyone talks about what was it n C I S or whatever, and that you, oh, no Law and Order, sorry, that she's in New York. Everyone talks about Law and Order in New York and how it's like a rite of passage and every actor passes through it at some point. I feel like that's the conversations I have around New Girl now, which is that everybody was at some point on the show, or and I'm sure Liz you hear this too, is that they were almost.
Speaker 7: On the show. That's why people like, oh my god, I loved you a New Girl. I was almost on that show. I was almost on the show.
Speaker 6: Or like Law and Order of LA.
Speaker 7: Everybody tested for everyone tested for it. Everyone guest starred or almost guest starred.
Speaker 2: They were like this close to playing Winston.
Speaker 1: Everyone, every actor Samuel Jackson close.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, I forgot. I never told you Samuel Jackson. We tested him. We didn't offer we tested him. Yeah, no, that it really was. I really feel like we got so lucky. We had so many amazing people and like it because the tone is weird, like it's it's not I mean it, I think it's less weird now, but I remember just being like, we need actors who can do a dramatic scene and then also like do the stupidest, silliest, goofiest thing that you can imagine I at the same time and like we I like we managed to like find those people, which was like great. I mean the other the funny thing was like also you know this the network at that time was just so crazy about ratings and like they were always like big guest stars, big guest stars because I guess Britney Spears had done an episode of How I Met Your Mother and they kept using that as an example of like it turned it turned the show around, and suddenly everybody was watching it because Brittany was on it. It was like, so we were like that was I think part of the like get Taylor Swift kind of like things. I mean, it was, you know, and obviously that's not how TV works, and like it's actually about like fans loving loving the show and like loving the actual characters. But at the time, it was like that was this this big kind of edict from the network was like big, get a big star to be on it. You know. It's just I feel like it's such a like old old idea of what television is.
Speaker 5: But anyway, I remember running into Rob Reiner like ohai, and I was like, and my mom went to college with him and they were they did improv like troop together, and and he was like, oh, like he was aware of the show, and he was like, oh, they were asking me like if maybe I could come and direct some and I was like, oh, my god, like that would be amazing. But then when like it came up that we were looking for, you know, my dad, I just feel like, you know, the fact that he like just knew of the show and was like aware of it, I was, you know, it kind of maybe you know, gave us a little bit of an edge to get a legend.
Speaker 4: If we had I think like, if he said that they approached me about directing it, it was he definitely passed because we was because we definitely would have hired to direct it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Welcome, great question, by the way, Lauren, Thank you for that.
Speaker 7: All right, next up, we have Paris.
Speaker 9: Hello, Hannah, Lam, morning Zoe. I hope y'all are do one good. My name is Paris and I am from Texas. I have a fun question to ask all of you guys, but a little context. I found out recently that Jennifer Aniston ate the exact same salad for lunch on the set of Friends pretty much every single time she filmed an episode, which is just crazy because that is a lot of salads over the years. So I wanted to ask you, guys, was there a favorite snack or a meal that you ate when you were a filming new girl? Did you always have the snacker meal on hand? Was it in your trailer? You know?
Speaker 4: Give me little details.
Speaker 7: I would love to know.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 6: I just want to say this just to jump right in. Okay, is I remember ordering lunch and then watching just bags of delicious food being delivered to video village.
Speaker 7: So what would you eat? Restaurant food?
Speaker 2: The writers had the best?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you guys had the best food.
Speaker 5: Let's yeah, what were you restaurants were you ordering from?
Speaker 4: I don't even know how to answer this question. I think the better question is what did didn't I eat while food was like my only like happy place.
Speaker 7: It's just there.
Speaker 4: No, no, no. I was just like so, I was like, so, yeah, when you're a writer on a TV show, they the studio pays for your lunch, so like there, you know, you order to like a local restaurant and they bring lunch to you. And so the writer who was on set would often like order lunch with the other writers as opposed to like eating the lunch on set. And I guess apparently that has that created just years of resentment from.
Speaker 5: The food that we got was way not You guys always ordered from way better places than the like actors and crew were offered.
Speaker 1: I had a lot of I hop orders, a lot of.
Speaker 5: I remember being like you guys ordered from where it was like some like very fancy. We were right by Beverly Hills, so there was like a lot of very nice restaurants nearby. I feel like we were mainly like ordering like salads from the common food came from My.
Speaker 1: Food came from from Sixth Street downtown.
Speaker 6: But there was a shift around season three or four. I think all of a sudden the menus got circulated to us and that was a big day. And I will say there was a lot of salads, then a lot of very delicious salads that started to turn up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I feel like it just becomes like I feel like food just becomes like this comfort thing. I mean, it's you know, it's like it's definitely like been said before, but it's really there. It's it's really exhausting making a network show, and the hours are very long, and like, at least you know, as a showrunner, there really wasn't a moment when I wasn't supposed to be working or like supposed to be in some kind of meeting.
Speaker 2: Or you deserved it.
Speaker 5: Feel you were sleeping on your couch in your office many nights. I don't think I've ever met a person that works harder than you, Liz True.
Speaker 4: Yeah I used to, but but I guess, like I do, I do feel like the food kind of became this like I believe that about Jennifer Anderson. I don't know, like it just like the food kind of becomes your like connection to like some sort of home or like routine where you're like, oh, like it's like I don't I don't know. That was my feeling was like it was my one moment a day to like stop and actually like like sit and eat and not work, which sounds so depressing. Sorry, but yeah, but I I definitely, like, I definitely remember, you know, being really grateful to be able to like at least get some like good food in the middle of all the like stress and chaos. But that I mean, it's it's so interesting like on set, because I think there's like there's craft service, so you know, like I think everyone like has a favorite thing in from craft service that they go, you know, go to for those moments.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's everybody's favorite crafty snack?
Speaker 1: Cashows real and those little Snickers salt.
Speaker 6: I remember when you were getting shredded up for something lamar, and then you realized that the like pounds of cas shows you were eating were maybe not the healthiest because you're like, I'm just gonna eat all these nuts and you're like, I'm eating nine thousand calories a day.
Speaker 7: I didn't realize the cashoes were doing me.
Speaker 1: Like that, because here's what they don't tell you about cashoes. Okay, they're so tiny and they're so delicious, but they packed so much fat, you know what I mean, And you think, oh, I'm gonna have a couple of handfuls of a day that I should do it. No, But if you're trying to, if you're trying to reduce calories, your caloric intake, it's not happening.
Speaker 7: The cashersabs are made in the kitchen. Abs are made in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: Definitely.
Speaker 4: Do you tell me that about they do?
Speaker 2: They do tell you. It's like one of these. I've got a little chart in the marketing.
Speaker 1: They're so tiny, They're so tiny. The cash is they're like this, they're like this, you know what I mean. But there's so much fat in there.
Speaker 7: You were so sad, you were like, nuts have betrayed me.
Speaker 2: What's your What was your favorite snack? Hannah? Ooh?
Speaker 7: I think initially.
Speaker 6: I remember rolling up to Crafty and I must have eaten ten thousand bags of cheese it that first year. But then it shifted into realizing that we could get apples and peanut butter. And then I realized that I'm just a little kid. When I go to that, all I want is apples and peanut butter. That was Martin Ellie's apple juice.
Speaker 5: Okay, I don't want the apple juice, but I would have I like a green apple with like green trill peanut butter, and I like just a little bit of peanut butter, and you like dip the apples in and then you know, it's like kind of filling and sountis fun.
Speaker 1: That's what I discovered. I discovered, you know, I discovered apples and cashoe butter.
Speaker 7: Right, you gotta let go the damn nuts.
Speaker 2: You're you're you're a cashew feed know me.
Speaker 1: You know I love nuts. If anybody who knows me, that's just been my thing, stop it, Hannah, shut up.
Speaker 7: I said, shut up a mouth and face you and those nuts. All right, Liz?
Speaker 4: Did you like how you're like? I like how you're like cashoe butter, Like as if that changes the fact that they're like butter.
Speaker 1: On an apple. Right, it's on an apple, So I figured.
Speaker 2: Healthy, it's healthy.
Speaker 7: Chemical reaction happened to your belly to make it less pattening.
Speaker 1: I'm not a smart man, Liz.
Speaker 7: What was yours when you would sneak over to Crafty?
Speaker 4: I mean, I I don't know, I like definitely feel like I just just eight endless amounts of snacks, so I don't even remember, but I like, I I just remember like a lot of like coffee and like, you know, just like pounding coffee and trying to stay.
Speaker 1: Awake, but we're trying to get a Snicker sponsor. Just say Snickers.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I love Snickers.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 4: I genuinely loved Snickers.
Speaker 2: I mean, who doesn't I.
Speaker 4: Like to I like to dip some Snickers into some Cashi butter. That's my that's my way losing. That's how I lose weight. It's just Snickers and butter.
Speaker 6: Thank you secured that one, secured the bag on that Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Sneakers is sponsoring us. I would say, we all agree, right, we would all read ads for Snickers was totally fine. We didn't even get paid for that.
Speaker 6: And I need to ask you, Liz one question before we end this very detailed recap of our season finale. Who came up You might not remember, but try who came up with this idea to uh put me on a rocket with that?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 4: Oh my god? I mean like was that okay? Like like I'm so sorry, I don't know. Like I think like the reason that we really went for it was because we wanted Schmidt to be We needed something that would really like make Schmidt feel insecure. So it was like, how do we kind of you know, I don't know a lot of those like jokes in the early seasons. I think they were like supposed to be making fun of of, you know, over sexualized ads, but then but then you're like, then you're just like on a rocket, Hannah, So like.
Speaker 6: That I'm making an over sexualized scene on TV.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, so it's like, I don't know, I don't know if we like our post post post post feminist take on that actually came through. But yeah, I mean it was like we needed like we needed to make Schmidt feel really insecure. So that was like I don't remember, I don't think I came up with it, but I maybe I'm like passing the buck off to like somebody else. Yeah, I mean, obviously it looks like a dick, and I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 10: You know what.
Speaker 6: I didn't even clock that in the rewatch. I just remember being like, what bizarre. There were so many bizarre photo shoots that CC had to do, especially in those first couple years, that they were a wild experience to do. Let's just put it that way. I was like, Wow, could you really have to do it? But the good thing was because it could have gone another way of like trying to make Schmidt jealous, which bid beat to have right goggles mac hardbody, like do you know what I mean? Do something or be weird. And that's where I would say, it's so important to have women who create shows and run shows and be at the top, because I was never put in a position where it felt weird like that.
Speaker 4: And I love that you. I love that you pivoted from you had to sit on a rocket to like, thank god, we have women in positions.
Speaker 7: I'm taking this couch and I'm getting it down the stairs.
Speaker 4: Take anyway. Thank you, Thank you're saying that. I'm like, I don't I don't know if I would do that now, but uh, thank for saying that.
Speaker 2: I had a big problem with it.
Speaker 4: In a later season, we probably would have put Lamarn on the rocket.
Speaker 6: Yes, probably you did have a more and say he has thick thighs and a fat ass the way out in the desert.
Speaker 1: I made that up?
Speaker 7: Did you really?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 7: So hard?
Speaker 4: I definitely don't think we would have put that in a script.
Speaker 6: That really made me laugh, And now that I know that it's you what, it's going to make me laugh harder.
Speaker 5: My first thing was, no, he doesn't.
Speaker 1: I definitely do something I've always known about myself. I gots.
Speaker 2: I like.
Speaker 4: I like that something that we like didn't talk about in the recap that I feel like I have to talk about is the like white fang the Schmidt.
Speaker 2: Yes, let's talk about white thing we like.
Speaker 4: I don't. It was something that like came up in the writer's room and it was just one of those things that like made us laugh like so hard, like I don't know, and then I was so worried that it wasn't going to translate on set. But then I mean, also it's like he's acting like you're a dog. Can I tell you something like crazy? But like I don't know. It was one of those things on set that just made me laugh like through all throughout the process. It made me laugh so so so hard. And I don't know if it like if it translates like years later, but I just like.
Speaker 5: What gave me the most anxiety on set, Like because you were saying like you were worried it wasn't going to translate. Would you say that like that was like a consistent worry or were there certain things that like gave you anxiety like for the course of the show.
Speaker 4: I mean as a showrunner, if I was like my job was often to like be the the negative Nelly somethime.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 4: It's just like like things in the writer's room where writers were suddenly like laughing so hard, and like I kind of have to be the one who's like, wait, is that like true to character? Its like true to story or like is that something that like we think is really funny that it's actually not funny? And I just like always had to kind of like make those calls and like you know, was definitely wrong sometimes Like I don't know, but like it was one of those like just like are people to people know what white thing is? Like what's like just like like what is the sort of you know, are they going to get it? Like? Is it too broad? This is like a really emotional moment for him? Is it too silly for that moment? You know? Just those are the kind of things that I was like constantly like trying to h A lot of the times it was like how can we make sure that the emotion lands but then push it, push it to a place of comedy, but not lose the emotion.
Speaker 2: I think that was one.
Speaker 5: That's one thing, like one thing magic superpower you have like as a writer is being able to.
Speaker 2: Have an emotional moment play.
Speaker 5: That is very you know, true and sincere, and then you'll like kind of undercut any any if it was gonna maybe be too sweet, you you always just undercut it with like a little joke afterwards. That makes it like that balances it out. Like there's always just a really great balance of the emotional and the and the humor in the show. And I definitely credit your sensibility. I think that's like something you do just incredibly well, and it so it takes so much skill to do that.
Speaker 4: It does take a lot of skill. I'm very talented.
Speaker 2: I think you are very talented.
Speaker 4: I think you appreciate. That's so sweet to hear. We had such amazing writers and obviously like it's you guys were improving like so much in it. But I think like the like that particular moment I had that I just had that worry that I was like, this is too crazy. He's like saying he's he's calling after her like she's a dog, and like this is the love of his life, and like is this too great to Hannah, do you remember.
Speaker 7: Here's my memory of it.
Speaker 6: So it was a long, dusty day in the desert, and I had a bit to do, but not a ton to do, and that white Fang Gil and Get scene was the last thing that we shot, and it was just Max and I. So I think I honestly had gone back to my trailer and we had to wait for nightfall, and we did the coyote thing first. I was just and I wasn't in any of that. So I was sitting in the trailer for hours and hours and hours and hours, and I think Jake must have not been in something either, And so I remember going to sit in his trailer and we were chatting, and he had a bottle of Southern Comfort.
Speaker 7: Of course he did, of course he did, and and I had a.
Speaker 6: I had a shot, I think, and we were just talking and it was just so weird because it was it that that night, it was going to be over, and it was like a stell. Still felt like a total dream that I was somehow on this big American network TV show and I was trying to think of this white Fang scene, which felt really silly and fun. But then he said something really casually kind of like, well, you know, I hope to see you in a few months and we get to do this again. And I went back to my trailer and then I went, oh my god, it just hit me for the first time.
Speaker 7: This might be it. This could get canceled and we never do it again. Like I don't know.
Speaker 6: It happens all the time to really good shows, and you just don't know. And I had to wait another hour or two and by myself, and then I came out and there was Max, who I think is such a phenomenal actor, and he just knows how to ride that line of being so real in his hurt but while he's saying silly stuff, but he can just do it. And it was so late and I was so exhausted, and it was hold and out there, and I just kept thinking I could get this call saying that you know, it's over and it's done, and I started to cry. And I remember shooting that scene and it felt so real, somebody just being like it's over, like get out of here, we don't need you anymore.
Speaker 7: It's done. And that's how I truly genuinely felt in it. And I watched it last night, like It.
Speaker 6: Just reminded me of standing there really feeling like the depth of somebody ending something with you when you're not ready yet. And I don't know it was It's funny that you have this anxiety of like was it going to land and it wasn't going to have the emotion behind it and it was perfect.
Speaker 1: I was going to say watching it, I was I was so impressed by how silly the performance was of Max and yet you managed to channel Denzel Washington from Glory that one two different circumstance, tis for sure, but you know, you know we were also in Glory.
Speaker 5: It wasn't an ugly cry. It was a very pretty cry, pretty cry, A dental pretty cry.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, Hannah, like La morn is A is a uh joshing you. But I really I think unless you were thinking about Dentel Washington, Washington and Glory and.
Speaker 1: I cry all the time, that is an iconic moment when Denzel's just standing and he has one tear right in that moment, and Hannah does it and the music time perfectly, and then she walks up. I said, I could never I was.
Speaker 4: Going to say, I was going to say, like, I think, Hannah, you in that scene were the reason that like it could work, you know what I mean, because it was like you gave this you know, it's less obviously like less flashy than like Max like screaming, get and stuff, but like the like you're like you're grounding, and you did that so many times on the show. But like your grounding kind of like emotional presence allowed like allowed him to kind of like be silly in this way that like kept the tone going and kept it real. And I really felt that was such a beautiful performance in that moment. And like obviously it's like like I said, it's not the it's not the actor who gets to kind of like do the silliest thing, but it's like that it's the balance that makes the comedy work, you know. So I just I don't know that was that was a great moment.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 6: I loved it, And it's where I found like a real rhythm I feel like with Max two right to kind of like you could just like sit in it with him, and it set us up for the fact that we did get to come back again and again and again and again. This has been really fun recapping this episode. Maybe when we finished season two, Liz, We're gonna bug you again.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: We would.
Speaker 7: We would.
Speaker 5: We would take you out for ice cream, Lisz, We would. We would this time. This time, we'd owe you a real, real nice sauce, serve.
Speaker 1: A real treat really quick. Did you find the bear? Hannah and and and Lo you ever have to ask you?
Speaker 7: Liz?
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, I have to ask you. So every single episode I've been doing, where's the bear?
Speaker 1: Bear? Bear?
Speaker 6: There is this big rumor going around, I know, you know, saying that there is a bear intentionally put somehow in every single episode, and there are websites dedicated to it and Reddit threads, and I have hunted it. I will say about like what sixty five percent of the time there is some sneaky ass bear there. So you have to now address this here on the spot. Tell me, am I a fool's errand what's up with the bear?
Speaker 4: I mean, look, it's it's it's never a fool's Errand to look for a bear.
Speaker 7: In every You're gonna keep me hunting this show?
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I definitely wasn't intentional. I do love I do think that bears are like very funny. I think it's a very funny word, and I think it like I just remember in the pilot damon being like bears and like that. Just remember like that was like a really funny moment in the pilot. Yeah, I it's it was, you know. I hate to disappoint you. It definitely wasn't intentional. But if I think that, like like subconsciously, there are probably like a million bears in the show, because like you know, like when you think something's funny or like a funny word, I think you just keep going for it. I always thought pants was a funny word. So I feel like there's like a lot of like pants, Like.
Speaker 6: Well, don't do that now, season two, I gotta look for bears and pants.
Speaker 7: You gotta do that right now.
Speaker 2: You could switch change the course for pants. I'm gonna say there.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say confidently there are pants in every episode, because.
Speaker 4: I can't believe we never put themar in like bear pants.
Speaker 1: Yes, well pants, you would have seen how harry I am and then it would have looked like bear pants. For sure. I did not shave Liz. Thank you very much, Thank.
Speaker 2: You so much for please come.
Speaker 7: With us next time.
Speaker 4: Thank you guys, so much. Will you come back to doing this, yes, of course, and thank you for my God, and like also thank you for thank you for you know, obviously all the work you guys did on this show, because it's the reason that that anyone is still interested in is because of you guys, and I just like, thank you so much for.
Speaker 6: Is there.
Speaker 5: You've been listening to Welcome to Our Show, a New Girl recap podcast. Welcome to Our Show is a production of iHeartRadio, hosted by Zoe Deschanel, Lamurne Morris, and Hannah Simone. Our executive producer is Joel Monique. Our engineer and editor is Daniel Goodman. The Welcome to Our Show theme song was written by Zoey de Chanel, performed and produced by Zoe Dachel and Peter to Reader. Follow us on Instagram at Welcome to Our Show Pod. If you have a question you'd like us to answer, you can email us at Welcome to Our Show.
Speaker 2: Podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 5: Don't forget to rate, subscribe and share far and wide.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening. We'll hear you next week.