Speaker 1: Tennis, and he won. It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm one more thing.
Speaker 1: I always enjoyed tennis, but.
Speaker 3: I couldn't say it much because I would always get tendonitis in what oh, as I recall my elbow and wrist. Yeah, as I always said of my sports career, I got my dad's talent, my mom's tendons. I get tendonitis like putting butter on bread.
Speaker 1: Haha. I need a supplement, probably turmeric. I'll tell you who doesn't get tendonitis, and we'll get back to tennis in the second. That guy who climbed that building in Taiwan over the weekend, if you didn't watch that, God, what a physical specimen that dude is. So I mentioned on the radio show. I didn't know this. It was a Netflix live special that was two hours long of him climbing that building. And I wish I'd have known it was on because I would have watched it with great anticipation because you know, there was certainly a chance he falls, and there were I don't know how many thousands of people gathered around the bottom of that building watching it live and like oohing and awing and shrieking as he you know, swung around and stepped here and stumbled there and everything as he went up that damn building in my hands are sweating actually just talking about it.
Speaker 3: And Katie and I had the same reaction. You should have watched it live because he might have fallen. Wait, what would have it not the triumph of the human spirit? Well, but it would have been more courage, the strengths. You wanted him to splatter.
Speaker 1: Come on, No, I didn't want him to spider, But wouldn't have been more exciting to not know the result of whether or not he could get up there or not or just have to quit or run out of gas. One of the concerns it's tough to watch. I mean, like really really tough. It's tough to watch knowing he makes it. So. My son and I watched it last night. It's on Netflix, and it's a man in four K on an eighty inch television. It's like standing next to a guy hanging off a building and uh uh we kept like shrieking, just sitting out on the couch, ah wing his leg up and like barely grip some tiny little ledge with his hand and me dangling there. Oh my god, have you ever.
Speaker 2: Seen somebody scale a building like in real life, I have not.
Speaker 1: Oh God.
Speaker 2: When I was working in San Francisco, there was this guy that I believe you went by the Pro life Spider Man or.
Speaker 1: Something like that.
Speaker 2: This is back in like I don't know, twenty to twenty nineteen or something. He like, this dude just scaled the Salesforce building and they had to shut down all the surrounding streets because it wasn't an organized event. But I'm driving towards the bridge and I look up, H'm like, is that a person?
Speaker 1: Yeah? These people are nuts.
Speaker 3: And you said during the radio show that the guy's fear center of his brain doesn't function like normal human beings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I didn't watch solo climb or whatever it's about when he climbed. Uh, what's the thing here in the el Kep tag? Yeah, in California. The Academy award didn't it for a Yeah? Yeah, what was supposed to be really really great and interesting. But its in that documentary that they have studied the brain half dome doesn't matter whichever. Uh, the fear part of his brain doesn't light up, It just doesn't work. And he looks like that. He looks checked out. Actually, the show is interesting because it just starts with him and his wife sitting in a van parked at the corner of the building talking and he's like having lunch or whatever and discussing things what they're gonna do, and say, okay, let me get going. And he sits there next to the building and changes shoes. He takes off his socks and shoes and puts on these special climbing shoes and gets his little bucket of chalk that he dips his hands in, puts it around his waist and starts climbing up the building.
Speaker 2: Holy smokes, he did l Cappy Tana as a free soulo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Holy whoa. But you can tell he's got no fear. I mean he's just like so bored. He looks like somebody's sitting in a meeting.
Speaker 3: So it's like I found out that people are amazed and astounded that I can walk to my mailbox and back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right right.
Speaker 3: So I'd think, all right, I'm gonna hey, honey, I gotta go walk to the mailbox and back.
Speaker 1: There's like five thousand people out front, so.
Speaker 3: I say, hey, hey, everybody, all right, I'm ready to go, I put on my mailbox walking shoes and I set off all the way up the driveway, well that all the way back, and people are like, oh my God to him.
Speaker 1: Emotionally. Yeah, the physical part though, of it would be incredibly difficult. So the free solo stuff. I knew a guy who was a drummer in the band I was in, and he was into that sort of stuff. In the amount of practice he would do one arm hangs, one hand hangs. You do a lot of that just to strengthen the muscles and your fingers and your wrists and your fore arms and your everything else. And this guy is like, his hands are huge, and he just looks like muscle. But they're talking about how exhausted he would be getting as he gets to the top. And if you watch the videos over the weekend, you saw looked like the hardest part was at the end when he had to swing himself up over those ledges and when you'd just be so worn out. But I can't even imagine couple of little kids and his darling wife and him, you know, both agreed that this was a good idea. I imagine he just said, look, I can do this. I'm not going to fall. We're going to be set for life, you know, a couple more of these climbs, and we're we're set, you, me and the kids. And no, was he.
Speaker 3: Compensated for this? Was it? Was it for the purpose of oh, the Netflix show. I'm sure the sorry duh, yeah, the Netflix show. I'd be shocked if he didn't make millions.
Speaker 1: Off of this.
Speaker 2: No, he he Actually there was an article saying that if you compare it to like pro sports, he made an embarrassing amount. It was somewhere in the mid six figures.
Speaker 1: Is what they He said, Oh, really, but there had to be more to it than that, because I noticed I said this to my son when he because why didn't he just put his shoes on a van? The fact that he walked over and sat down and they had a big shot of the shoes he was putting on. I just I think he had a number of different sponsors involved, product placement and that sort of How much money he made, I don't know. He's definitely you know, his name recognition has gone way up. So if he does public speaking someday or you know, he's going to be on a Super Bowl commercial for and a person climb in a building will make you sweat, not if I have you know whatever.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm doing the motivational circuit thing. Are you afraid of? You know, achieving at work? Follow my method climb? Which is can i've limit imagine motivate? And what else should be exactly? Which all of this has been but I've already been paid runs out the back.
Speaker 1: Here's how you do it. He'd just be brain born with a part of your brain that doesn't function. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: The Tony Robbins people that are paying ninety nine dollars a month for the chatbot.
Speaker 1: He could have one of those two yeah, oh yeah, but that's some show to watch. I wish more of you would watch it and get back to me if you reacted the way my son and I did. My son couldn't watch and our hands are sweating and we kept yelling yah something.
Speaker 3: What does a guy like that do when his careers kind of run out? Run out the string? Doesn't he go like go to birthday parties. I'll climb the side of your house for a hundred bucks a threat. I'm opening up a new pet store here on Main Street. Would you climb up the side of it?
Speaker 1: Hey for for beer money, I'll get up on top of your car. I'm not interested. Come on, just I'll just jump up there like a squeegee guy, but a climber, just like yeah, half assed grocery store openings. All right, Now, what's the guy's name? We should know? His name is like the greatest.
Speaker 3: Alex Honald, Alex Honnold, He's the greatest climber on earth. We've got Alex Honald, who's going to climb the side of the new Bigley Wiggly here right? Which o the grand day great folks now head on end? Twenty percent off produce today only, thanks for coming. Right. It was like we we worked with some pet food guys who are really good guys. Uh, but the one guy was fascinated by that bulldog who could skateboard, and he had a bulldog that he was trying.
Speaker 1: He bought a bulldog Katie. Yes, this guy, so there's a bulldog. Do you know the skateboarding bulldog? Have you ever come across it? Yeah? It's very popular in California marcials and it makes I think three hundred thousand dollars a year and travels around an RV and goes to openings, and so this friend of ours, who were in doing dorsements for bought a bulldog specifically to train it because he thought, I want to get in on this. Spent lots of time trying.
Speaker 3: To way longer cut that other bulldog to give you twenty five percent off.
Speaker 1: He is disappointed and never learned to skateboard. Could play the piano beautifully, but could not skateboard. Oh gives us shit. Any who. I was told he was listening to the group Tool the whole time. He was Yeah, he had earbuds in digging music. Oh really, yeah, I thoughtually meant the bulldog. Michael, you got to bring this like talking to my wife. What are you talking about? We're talking about the bulldog. Yeah, that was like that was yesterday. Now we're back to the guy climbing the building. He had earbudget, he had Tool, and he likes heavy metal music and he's listening to a tool. He was also miked, so he could talk every once in a while and say, yeah, it's a wind you're up here. And I thought it would be or whatever. And everybody in the building knew he was going to climb it, and they were there to get pictures and so like every little new ledge was a window with somebody like six inches from his face waving and he'd wave back.
Speaker 2: How awful would you feel if you startled him and he jumped and let go and then that was the end.
Speaker 1: Probably shouldn't have startled him. Okay, So why did I say? Why did I say, tennis anyone? It's about exercise. I'll go through this fast. Since we talked so much about the climber, but I didn't think that was kind of interesting. So much information has out come out in the last couple of years about exercise and longevity and what it does to your brain and your body. If it seems, I mean, it makes sense if you lead your body to believe and your brain to believe that it's they're still needed, they still function. But if you lead them to believe that don't really need you any more brain or body, they atrophy fast. Oh that is so interesting.
Speaker 3: I've had a couple of friends who worked into you know, pretty late in their lives who said, I've just had a couple two three buddies retire and they're dead within two years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm so afraid of it. My financial guy, he said, my business people retire, they come back to me a year later and they look like they've aged fifteen years. Oh all the time, it is story. So you want to keep you know, you want to keep your brain in your body, thinking A, we still need you, still need you to do things. So exercise is good for that. And they have in the New York Times today talking to a whole bunch of experts, what are the best exercises out there? You're gonna like one of these examples, Joe, but the best exercise out there? They talk about walking and running and all these different things for everything, for all parts of your body and for your mind, like running is good for cardiovascular but not some parts of your body, and not really anything for the mind. Whereas the best one they came up with it is tennis. Tennis is just great for all kinds of different movements you do. There's cardiovascular, there's stretching, there's putting pressure on all kinds of different things, and then tennis requires enough mental energy, thinking that it's good from that aspect, so and that coordination. They just put that at number one.
Speaker 3: Sure, and just frontal lobe stuff, like all right, where's my opponent? Where should I hit this? How hard should I hit this?
Speaker 1: With? What spin?
Speaker 3: How are they likely to react? Where do I need to get defensively? I played enough tennis to understand that. Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Well, And as we've learned and talked about before, that whole intense bursts of energy thing that they've learned is super important. I don't do enutch, try to have one a month. I don't do enough of that. But they've decided that rather than going out and run two miles, sprint fifty yards, stop sprint, that sort of thing is better for you for all your muscles and stuff. Anyway, Tennis offers a full body workout. The game demands quick changes in direction, quick bursts of speed, all all the things that I mentioned before. Let me find that number on here. A study found that tennis players lived ten years longer than their sedentary peers, oh longer than soccer players, swimmers, and other recreational athletes in the analysis something about tennis. You never know what these studies, but.
Speaker 3: I gotta find a fellow overweight, lazy person with like bad and or artificial joints that just wants to play like lazy man's tennis. The key you will work up to get into a little competitive The key to tennis is playing somebody your own skill level.
Speaker 1: That is the whole thing. I remember that from high school. You play somebody way worse in you, it's not really any fun. You play somebody way better than you, it's just pointless being out there. But if you're evenly matched, it's pretty fun. Even if you suck. If you're evenly matched, it's pretty fun. But you'll like this part. So they did a study of three hundred thousand older adults in the United States. Cycling was linked to three percent lower risk of dying over a twelve year period. Swimming was linked to a five percent lower risk. Golf linked to a seven percent lower risk. What so golf's a pretty good one. Huh, Not exactly sure.
Speaker 3: Why you know, it's a lot more tiring than people think it is. There's a tremendous amount of walking up and down hills, and even if you're riding in a cart, you walk a couple of miles.
Speaker 1: But not as tiring as cycling. Why is golf better than cycling? Different? You're using a lot more different things. Yeah, well, maybe, Jack, maybe you could read the paragraph you already highlighted in the New York Times, if your brain worked, he played, if he played more tennis. While cycling primarily works the lower body, swimming adds upper body conditioning. Golf tends to involve more gentle aerobic activity, but also requires rotational power, balance and fine motor control. There you go, Well it should anyway. This mix, this mix of physical demands might drive modest differences in longevity, but they aren't sure. I would just say this activity is good, lack of activity is bad. What about baking? That's an activity, results are delicious.
Speaker 3: You got to use your brain, right, You got to move back and forth across the No.
Speaker 1: No, you got to carry your fat ass to the toilet. Oh my god? What wit? What was that? Escalated quickly? What the hell? Out of mounds? Out of bounds? Maybe it's because I swore off big goods for the year and I'm a little touchy on Oh sorry, I'm not talking to you, folks. I haven't had a make good since the year twenty twenty five, which is long weeks ago.
Speaker 3: This very morning, I says to my wife. I says, I've got to get to the gym one more time per week.
Speaker 1: All right, I've got to all right, what would give me? Give me your wisdom. See, you you got the disadvantage of being married. I'm in the gym every day. I've got the driving force that is being single, right and wanting to look better.
Speaker 2: On I'm pregnant and married and I'm in the gym four to five.
Speaker 1: You're better than me. I'm asking you to help me, not brag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just go, you'll feel You'll just think about how you'll just go.
Speaker 1: Oh, it hadn't occurred to me. Just go. Oh, if you do seminars online, you're like, you're a dick. Oh, that's funny. Think of focus on the after.
Speaker 2: That's what I do. My mental is so much better once I finished.
Speaker 1: No doubt I am. I've never in my life gotten done with the workout and saying, God, I'm glad I did that.
Speaker 3: You know, I've heard that advice before, but I'd forgetten it. Picture how you'll feel about yourself afterward.
Speaker 1: That's good, that's good. It took us a while to get there, so here we are anyway. Well, I guess that's it. That was awesome.