Speaker 1: Happy Thursday, and welcome to another episode of the Chuck Todcast. I got to a pretty packed episode for you. We're going to do a rundown of what's going on around the country and the states, some state politics, of what's happening with AI, and in fact it ties into something else I'm going to get to in a minute, the big beautiful Bill and whether what it's going to look like and whether it has any chance of ever becoming popular. But look, I'm going to start with what is still a seismic earthquake inside the Democratic Party, and that is the victory by Zoron Mom Donnie in the Democratic primary, apparent victory. I mean, we got to remind folks we still haven't had the retabulation in the New York City mayor's race. You know, let me throw a bizarre what if out there. There's an assumption, and I think it's a correct assumption based on the polling we've seen and certainly the campaign strategies the candidates had of trying to convince their supporters not to even rank Cuomo in some places and things like that. But let me just throw out a here. If Cuomo closes the gap to just a couple of points and ends up losing the primary after rank choice voting more like that fifty one to forty nine or fifty two forty eight. Is that what they're waiting for to see whether Cuomo will decide to run in a general election. But look, let's it. Certainly everybody is behaving today as if that's not going to happen in that Mandani is going to be the Democratic nominee. The question is what kind of general election is it going to be. But before we get to that, on the New York City side of things, it's been interesting how Democrats have reacted, right it's around the country. You've had some in New York, including the two leading Democratic figures in New York who happen to hold the two most important positions in Congress for the Democrats, Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer and House Democratic Leader Akim Jeffries. They both congratulated Mandani, but they did not endorse Mamdani. Maybe they will eventely, but they have not made that decision yet. Bernie Sanders came out gloated and said, Hey, the Democratic establishment has some explaining to do, and I really think they do. In fact, I want to quote a column that I thought was just outstanding, and it sort of, I think, summed up how the Democrats have really blew this when it came to when it came to how they've gotten involved over the last couple of cycles. It was a column written by Julie Roginsky, and it was it was expressing her frustration. And I'm going to read it in part here word for word, because these are her words, not my words. What were voters in New York to do? This is what she wrote. When I filled out my ballot yesterday, I did not rank either Cuomo or a Mom Dannie because I, again her words, I won't vote for a sexual predator, and because I won't vote for a deeply inexperienced candidate who refuses to knowledge that quote globalized the Intifada is an offensive term to his Jewish constituents. She adds, I knew that my vote was wasted, that the five people I ranked had no shot of winning, and for this I blame the Democratic establishment. And she goes on when Cuomo popped up his head to run, all the establishment figures who flocked to him could have said no, They could have looked at other competent leaders who did not have Cuomo's baggage. Raginsky suggests Police Commissioner Jessica Tish was somebody that came to mind. I've heard that name quite a bit today. Instead, they did what they do best, tried to impose a deeply flawed candidate with a disconnected message on their own voters. Let me repeat that last phrase, because this, to me is the key to how the Democratic Party has lost its way. They tried to impose a deeply flawed candidate with a disconnected message on their own voters. Hmmm, where have they done that before? Oh? Maybe restraight presidential elections. Remember this is a Democratic party and a Democratic establishment that has chosen candidates on behalf of the voters and not let the voter's way in in a good decade, right, trust me. If the Democratic establishment had its way, Hillary Clinton would have been the nominee in two thousand and eight. But they let that go. There wasn't. In fact, some of the establishment were divided enough that hey, Obama and Clinton both had affair shot at it, and the voters chose Obama in twenty sixteen. The voters weren't given that kind of choice. Barack Obama put his arm around Hillary Clinton. It convinced a whole slew of other potential candidates not to run, and only this unknown senator from Vermont decided to throw his hat in the ring. Bernie Sanders. People forget Bernie Sanders did not have any sort of name ID back then. The question has always been did his message truly resonate or was the fact that he wasn't Hillary Clinton why he resonated or was it a combination of the two. But things sort of went her way, and there was a feeling that the Democratic primary voters really didn't get a fair shot to decide who they really wanted as their nominee because the establishment essentially shoved a whole generation of Democrats aside. All right, an entire generation. Let's move to twenty twenty Joe Biden. This time, there were a whole slew and then COVID hit and the establishment came in, and there was a fear that what a progressive named Bernie Sanders was going to win this nomination if a whole bunch of people didn't quickly get out and consolidate around Joe Biden. A m clobashar got out and consolidated around Joe Biden, Beto O'Rourke did, Pete Budaget did, and there was this consolidation. Again, the establishment spoke. Jim Clyburn did his famous endorsement, and they spoke, and then they did it again in twenty four. Right first, the establishment said, anybody that dare question Joe Biden's capability of doing a second term is only doing the bidding of Donald Trump. Just look at how that Dean Phillips, the former member of Congress who did decide to challenge Biden, who openly said he didn't want to be the candidate running but believed but it would if nobody else would step in, and he tried to recruit plenty of governors to do just that. Nobody would get in the Establishment labeled him some sort of secret Trump surrogate. Okay, they were able to protect Biden, and of course we now know what happened, and the voters never got to choose Kamala Harris. Kamala Harris was essentially chosen for them as the nominee. And this is essentially what Julie Roginsky is saying happened in New York City. For the life of me, and I've written about this. You can go back a couple of substack colms and go, why the heck did Andrew Cuomo just sort of get o laid into this field? And I think it really does mean that the establishment, whether it's guys like Chuck Schumer, King Jeffrey's other major Democrats, just didn't fully appreciate how unpopular Andrew Cuomo was. Thought, well, his name, I d the amount of money he'll raise, he's got. You know, older voters, they'll vote for the familiar name. It'll be too hard to push him out. We don't want to have that fight with him. That's only going to be ugly too. So they just sort of acquiesced when it was obvious he had major character flaws and the fact that he never apologized for what happened or explained himself in an honest and straightforward way, and instead said he regretted resigning. You know, I wrote this. I regret that he resigned too, because he he didn't get due process, and the voters never got due process. And this is why I think if you resign in order to avoid an investigation, whether it's a House ethics committee or it's an impeachment inquiry, in your state legislature, be barred from running for any office for a decade because you're breaking your compact with voters. You were elected to do a job for four years and you're walking away in less than four years. There should be some penalty, but there was none. Guess what, there's a penalty. Now his political career is over. Now does he contemplate running as independent? He might, But do you really want to take two losses? Look, I will say this with Mam Dannie. I think I think you're sort of seeing two reactions right now. You have a whole bunch of Democrats try not to say anything. You have an entire Republican messaging machine that is trying to weaponize Mamdanni and turn him into you know, the grandson of Vladimir Lenin and trying to make the hammer and sickle, you know, call him a communist and all of these things. And look, and I've warned and I've showed you this. If you don't think this is an effective strategy, if Democrats don't know how to figure out how both to embrace embrace his victory and at the same time say hey, we disagree on this issue, this issue, in this issue or some form of that. They're going to tie themselves into knots and they're going to essentially allow the weaponization to take hold. All you have to do, and this is what I pointed out yesterday is look at what happened to the Democrats in the state of Florida when they nominated somebody friendly with democratic socialism. The S word just totally destroyed the Democratic brand in Florida, and now Florida is a red state. The fact is that the Mayor of New York City is I would argue, the second or third most famous elected official in the country. I promise you if you did it, you know over time, after the president and vice president. I think that most people have a better shot at naming the Mayor of New York City than the Speaker of the House. So it is one of the more symbolically, certainly one of the bigger names. And that's why this is symbolically such a huge victory. But it is, it absolutely is. I think the it's the first shot in the big fight between sort of the mainstream wing of the Democratic Party. If you want to call it again, they need a better descriptor. Right. Establishment is a terrible thing. Nobody wants to be the establishment. Sounds like they're the incumbent. You know, if you say mainstream, it sounds like you're saying there. You know, it's so. And as far as the voters were concerned, Mom, Donnie's the mainstream, or he wouldn't have won the nomination. So I think that's I will admit there needs to be so you know, center left, maybe we call it that the center left Democrats, the non progressive Democrats. They've they don't know, they've got to sort of stop supporting ancient names, you know, family dynasties. And I think part of it is you sort of have an actre feed class of Democrats who I think are being advised by the same you know, five or six consultants, They get their funding from the same five or six sources, and it becomes sort of I think they've become their own bubble and they fully don't see it. And yes, the positions that Mamdani holds are not popular overall with swing voters. The ideas are, but sort of the paying for them are right, Like okay, free groceries, Yeah, how does that going to work? And who pays for it? I do think that he is going to Mamdani. If he does become mayor, is going to somebody's going to educate him that the tax base of New York City is actually, you know, seventy to eighty percent of it comes from a very small group of people, and be careful taxing them to the point where they decide to leave. Now, I think some of this stuff's overblown, right, like all the people that we're going to flee to Canada if Donald Trump got to like that, I don't think. I think ninety five percent of the people that claim they're leaving New York City if Mom Donnie becomes mayor, are not going to leave. But the story is not you know, it's not a good narrative. It's certainly not a good you know, a good look, and you're going to have a lot of squeaky Wall Street people. But if your mom Donnie politically, if Wall Street's upset, then you're winning, right as far as your voters are concerned. So you got how he had to actually be careful if you're in the if you're in the wealthy wing of the Democratic Party or the wealthy wing of New York City, how you go about criticizing I speak to you Bill Ackman, who I don't think has a full self awareness gene in him at all times. And so I, you know, I do think that that that some of the complaints come across as, oh, it must be tough for you, for you folks that have to fly private in and out of New York City, But you know it is. Look, it is a party that's very nervous about more about the fact that they have no confidence in their own party at figuring out how to embrace mom Donnie without owning all of his positions. The fact of the matter is a Republican Party struggled with this with Donald Trump from twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, and twenty seventeen until guess what, Donald Trump just eviscerated the establishment. Look at the people that were still around, right, You had this sort of uncomfortable alliance between sort of the Paul Ryan wing that was still alive in twenty seventeen and twenty eighteen and the Donald Trump wing of the party. Well, five years later, all of those folks are gone. It's Donald Trump's party. Are there still some few remaining members of that old establishment? Rich McConnell's on his way out. John Thune is trying hard not to look like he's part of the old guard, and we'll see John Cornyn is struggling. As you can see, he's about perhaps going to see the end his political career. He's somebody that's been around. So it may be that what Republicans dealt with in twenty fourteen to twenty sixteen maybe what's going to be happening here and maybe this is the beginning of a revolt of sort of a secondary revolution of sorts. I do want to point out another piece of commentary that I retweeted earlier today, but I want to read. It comes from somebody who's going to be on the podcast pretty soon, Kristen Sultis Anderson. She's a Republican polster, really good, and she highlighted this quote from Politico's Playbook. It was from an anonymous centrist Democrat. It was a hot take, and it was this quote. It is extremely alarming that the only candidates who genuinely excite our voters are the ones making absolutely insane promises on politically toxic positions, one strategist tells Playbook, leaving us in the spot of trying to execute on bad policy and losing terribly or failing to keep our promises and reinforcing the idea that all politics is bullshit. Well, Kristen Sultius Anderson put this little note above that quote, and she said, change the party label from DEM to GOP. And this reminds me of a quote you'd read in the summer of twenty fourteen. Well, the summer of twenty fourteen, right, was the sort of the second big tea party election, right, that last midterm of Obama. And it really those that came in there. Josh Holly was a twenty fourteen elected Republican, for instance. The beginnings of what is now sort of the mainstream MAGA coalition that is very supportive of the Trump agenda started to come in in twenty a little bit in twenty ten, more so in twenty fourteen, and it was the same concerns you had. Mainstream Republicans. Establishment Republicans just panicked, and some of these candidates were so bad it did cost them Senate races.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Why why are Democrats as close to having the Senate majority and in fact just had it for two cycles that arguably they shouldn't have had it for It's because of how poorly many of these candidates did the first time they ran. But as you saw, over time, eventually those candidates were able to become seen as mainstream Republicans as Donald Trump changed the Republican Party electorate itself, right, what you know, those Republicans that rejected some of those Tea Party candidates in twenty fourteen, for many of them, that was the last time they voted Republican. Right, They ended up becoming the new suburban Democratic voters. And this is the challenge that I think the Democratic Party has. They have been growing support in the wealthier suburbs around pretty much every major metropolitan arean America. But these folks are not keen on the policies of democratic socialists, you know. So this is going to be the uncomfortable alliance that I don't know how the two of them are going to coexist. Perhaps there's a way that happens. Maybe it's a temporary alliance. You know, for a long time, this stuff was papered over by just being angry at Donald Trump. But I think now after sort of eight years of conducting campaigns that paper over this divide between essentially a business wing of the Democratic Party and a progressive populist wing of the Democratic Party that really I think culturally they see things eye to eye and some social issues, but not on economic policy, and this is where there's this sharp divide and a little bit unfeigned policy. But you know, I think sometimes we over highlight the Israel issue as a primary voting issue. There's not a lot of evidence that voters themselves vote on this issue. That instead they're voting on pocketbook issues. So you know, perhaps now now that Trump I mean, look, Cuomo tried to use the Trump card in order to gain traction with Democratic primary voters, and it's pretty clear Democratic primary voters are tired of that messaging. They want to hear something that's for them. They want to hear something that feels like fighting. They want to have something that feels like pushing back in one form or another. And I think that's what Mam Doni I think gave voters in a way that Cuomo never did. But this is where I think we all have to sort of take a breath. I don't think we can sit here and say for sure that Mam Donnie's nomination is. It means the Democratic Party wants to go in a very progressive direction on economic policy. I think this right now one is not a trend. Let's see if this happens in multiple races, and then we can have another conversation. But I think this had more to do with in Cuomo becoming the quasi incumbent to voters right he was seeing the establishment and incumbency feels like one and the same these days. He ran a terrible race. He wasn't talking about economic issues, and he also ran an old race. What do I mean by that? Well, they just ran an old campaign, a lot of TV ads, a lot of sort of slickness, sort of the sort of traditional events, getting the proper endorsements and proper endorsements like you know, Jim Clyburn worrying too much about those endorsements, versus a mom Donnie who by necessity had to come up with different ways to run because he didn't have that amount of money. Ran a more modern twenty twenty esque the twenty twenties. What sort of media is today? Hey, I'm you know, independent media, streaming, whatever you want to refer to it. He was all of the above. He was showing up everywhere. He would certainly do plenty of legacy cable television, but he also would do plenty of new media as well. Cuomo wasn't doing any of that. I mean, I think I said it earlier. I believe he did two podcasts and one of them was his brothers. Right. He wasn't exactly looking to talk to new vote and sort of let loose, and I think part of that, frankly, the reason they hit him, right, the reason we never saw Joe Biden is that they were afraid he really couldn't reassure people that he was all all on the up and up, which is why we rarely saw him in interviews, and he was very protected. I think with Cuomo, they just wanted to duck questions about the circumstances with which he decided to resign his governorship. And that was a mistake, right, not confronting these things. You know, he could have taken a page from Trump's book and gone right at it and sort of owned it or not owned it, but dealt with it. Whatever you think of Trump, he tries to deal with all of it. Sometimes obviously, sometimes he lies about it, makes up, but he's constantly trying to deal with it, and it sends a message to voters that he's at least acknowledging the elephant's plural in the room. Cuomo never did any of that, So I think I would caution, assuming this is some sort of leftboard lurch of the Democratic Party, what were the alternatives. He ran a better race, He talked about the issues that voters cared about. Cuomo was the front runner. He behaved like an incumbent, and he lost. He was sort of and it felt like he was out of touch. He didn't even live in the city. He didn't even know how to His bagel order was an English muffin. I mean that alone, to some people, was grounds for never being elected mayor of New York City. So it is. You know, it's very possible that Mom Donnie won for very mundane reasons that have nothing to do with ideology and nothing to do with any big shift that bread and butter issues. One guy was talking about bread and butter and the other one wasn't pure and simple. But here's what I would say. I do think that I think Senate Democrats, I think Democratic Party is a real problem with Chuck Schumer. Right now I say this, it's going to sound like I'm picking on him, But you know there was a new candidate jumped into the US Senate race in Texas, and the first thing he did to say, you know he's running is a This is the astronaut, former astronaut who decided to run first time he's run for office, running as a Democrat, and he and he took a and he named Check Schumer as the Democrats who aren't doing enough, who aren't fighting, who don't know what they're doing, Rocanna who wants himself a congressman out in Silicon Valley. Longtime listeners of the Chuck podcast know that I've had him on and we've we've we've we've, we've had conversations a few times on this broadcast. He regularly named checks Schumer in a negative way these days as part of the problem on the he's becoming the punching bag for Democrats to show that they they are getting the message. So it's really I think he's becoming the now symbol. It's not Jeffries, it's not the DNC chair that probably most people can't remember the name of right now, it's Martin in case you're asking yourself right now, it is sort of Chuck Schumer. Some of this maybe some of the criticism is unfair, but basically he is the remaining member of the sort of the group of Democrats that it feels like they've been running the party since Obama left. Right, you know, Clinton is no longer there, Biden is no longer there, but Chuck Schumer. You know, Nancy Pelosi is no longer there, but Chuck Schumer is still there. Right, Harry Reid is no longer there, but Chuck Schumer is still there. Stanny Hoyer is no longer there, but Chuck Schumer is still there. So he is I think going to become an even bigger magnet. The question. Now, the Senate Democrats are very you know senators in general, they're not They don't they don't act rashly. You know, they usually are very They want to they want to take their time on dealing with things. So I don't know that he's in trouble and that there would be some move against him. In fact, it would be very unsenate like to see something like this. But I'll tell you that conversation I had with the Democratic senator very recently who was really upset that Michael Bennett decided to run for governor, and I think I shared this with you that a form of this, but it was this senator was saying, look, we've got to replace Schumer. We all know it, but there's no obvious person. I thought Michael Bennett was the obvious replacement, and and and the senator you know, said, look, you know, he decided he wanted to be governor. He's frustrated working in the Senate. He gets it, but you know, you know, it's sort of like if you're going to shoot the king, who you're going to replace him with? Right? You know? Is it? And if you're thinking about running for president in the US Senate, the last thing you want to be is in leadership. Right, maybe it's better off of Brian Shatz, who is a Senator from Hawaii who seems to be one of the few that has figured out how to how to talk to both the progressive wing of the party in a in a way that's authentic and the and the and the sort of center left wing of the party party where I think he's decidedly a bit more progressive. But it's very respectful. You know, when you replace Daniel inn Away in the Senate, you're sort of respectful of how of the different wings of the party itself. It might behove the party to essentially listen to the base of the party and say, you know, and here's the thing. Schumer's one of the most self aware politicians I've ever met. He has made ruthless decisions in the past, nominees to let loose in Senate races where you're just trying to save the Senate in another state and you can't fulfill a promise. He knows how to make tough decisions. He's done it before. He's pulled the plug on candidacies that you know, made a lot of people mad. But somebody has to make those decisions. There might be a moment where the best thing for him to be is to sort of say, you know what, I shouldn't. You know, nobody saying he should leave the Senate, but that he steps aside as party leader and sort of sends the message that the Democrats do want to sort of turn the page, do want a new set of leaders. I think Jeffreys is still considered new to the post, right, I mean, and Nancy Pelosi is still there right, still sort of walks the halls and some I've talked to some House Democrats who think that she's she needs to lay lower than she has been, and she's actually laid pretty low here. It is interesting who did decide to endorse, who did decide to endorse Mom Donnie today and who did not. The first member of the New York City Congressional delegation to endorse Mom Donnie Jerry Nadler, and he's he is Jewish. It's a big endorsement. He called it a seismic election. He compared Mom Donnie's victory to Obama's victory. And here's what he said when it came. He said on and whether he had any concerns about some previous statements that Mam Donna he had made as a Jewish American, and he said, quote, I've spoken to him today about his commitment to fighting anti Semitism, and we'll work with all New Yorkers to fight against all bigotry and hate. And that's what I'm going to be curious to see. I think Mom Donnie, we're going to find out. You know, sometimes insurgent candidacies don't know how to then not be an insurgent like Bernie Sanders. I would argue, he's now an establishment leader of the party. But he never wants to be seen as an establishment member of the party, which is why he continues to back out of his promises. He is multiple times promised he was going to register as a Democrat and never did because I don't think he ever wants to be seen as quote unquote part of the establishment. But you could argue, because he's been the leader of the progressive movement arguably now for a decade, that he is certainly the establishment member of that. But look, I do think that there's he's never been able to figure out how to be bigger than just his movement. This is going to be a challenge from mom Donnie. Right. Governing that city is incredibly difficult. It has been referred to as the second hardest job in politics. And he actually has an opportunity here over the next three or four months where the bar's kind of low, right, you're going to have a lot of skeptical moderates, skeptical business leaders about him. How does he he's had an opportunity to sort of make a new first impression with some of these folks. What's he like behind the scenes, right, you know, it's sort of like sometimes insurgent politicians don't know how to be sort of diplomats. When you have to be a diplomat, you need to sometimes do diplomacy even in domestic politics. Right, it's a challenge that's taking place in Syria with the new president there. Right, he was a rebel and then suddenly you're now in charge and you have to govern everybody, including people that may not have wanted you in that position. Can you meet the moment, can you handle the moment, and can you say no to a supporter if it's for the greater good? Right, So it'll be interesting to see that challenge, see how he handles that challenge going forward. But look, there's no doubt about it. This is an earthquake. And one final point I'll make on this, I did a little quick research here. There are fifteen members of Congress that are seventy years old or older. I do think Mom Donnie's victory is going to inspire primary challenges to many of these folks. And if you've been in Congress, you're over the age of seventy and you've been in Congress more than two decades, you really ought to look in the mirror and ask yourself whether you really do you want to end this way because I think there's going to be real vulnerability. It's clear there is a hunger for new. I do think the key to Mom Donnie as he was new Cuomo, was old, pure and simple. And those fifteen members of Congress who have allved so far have said they're going to run for reelection, whether it's a Maxine Waters in Los Angeles, Stenny Hoyer in Maryland, a Bill Pascrell in New Jersey, and Al Green in Texas, A Jerry Nadler in New York City, which may explain why he quickly jumped on the Mom Donnie bandwagon. He's seventy seven and has had to deal with his sheriff primary pro Progressive primary challengers before. So that's the door that I expected. You know, this is what David Hogg had promised he wanted to do. And it is interesting when I look at the fifteen House members, none of them are in swing seats except for one that I can see here, Marcy Captor. Beyond that, everybody else is in fairly safe democratic seats. This could be This could be the sea change. A sea change is coming. And I'll tell you one other one that might want to be careful here, and that is there is one senator who is up for reelection in twenty twenty six who is running that's over the age of seventy five, and that's Ed Markey. Now, he survived a primary challenge when he was an appointed senator from from young Joe Kennedy, the third but Kennedy kind of ran to his right, ran a primary challenge from his right, which, as we all know, in a Democratic primary, that usually doesn't work. But that's another one. The point is is that I think, I don't think if you're an incumbent Democrat and you've been in office for more than a decade, watch out. That's probably the number one message. Watch out quick update on the big beautiful bill that the president's trying to get through, and you have all these folks trying to sort of jam, if you will, The Senate's trying to jam the House. They still want to rush this vote. It's amazing how unpopular this bill continues to be. And there's been a couple of just sloppy comments that that I have a feeling are going to come back to haunt congressional Republicans. And that is one, of course, was the one Joni Ernst made Everybody's going to die. And another is a comment that Mitch McConnell was quoted as saying on Medicaid cuts when he said, when he was quoted Tom Tillis, who is up for reelection, is concerned about the severity of some of these Medicaid cuts. Mitch McConnell, apparently in the same meeting said, yes, he's been hearing the same in Kentucky. But they'll get over it. I just that phrase. They'll get over it. And we all know how whether one thing, it's one thing for Joni Earnst, somebody who outside of Iowa, most people don't know who she is. Mitch McConnell, that's somebody a lot of people have heard of. I just have a feeling that quote's going to become famous. The biggest problem Trump has, and I know he's promised to do a tour of the country to try to top this bill, is this bill starts out enormously unpopular. It has been so defined as a cutting Medicaid bill. It is not on other stuff at all. It is it is. I don't know know how they turn this thing around as a political asset, but you know what this is what happened to Biden and the Democrats. They eventually got their bill passed, but it was such an ugly, painful process, so many ugly negotiations and various Democrats trashing different proposals, allowing quotes to be used in the elections to sort of make it make Democrats uncomfortable trying to sell it. They had a you know, it was not a political asset in twenty twenty two, It just wasn't to the voters. I think that's the situation that Republicans face with this bill in twenty twenty six. Look, not passing the bill would still be worse politics than passing this bill. But there's I don't know what they get to sell out of this that's positive. I really don't. It's becoming harder and harder. And speaking of which, and this May, it's an important poll number that I wanted to share with you that I just saw recently, and it's a CNN poll and it was just out. There's a there's a certain question that we've tracked, we tracked at NBC for years. It's an important question. CNN had it on their poll on their on their most recent May twenty twenty five poll, and the question is simply this. It's a question we've tracked for generations and it's fascinating. The pattern here government is it doing too much? Or should government do more? And the pattern is this, whenever Democrats and are in the White House, they're a majority of voters believe government is doing too much, And whenever Republicans are in the White House, the number starts to increase the government that the government needs to do more. Well, we are at a near high fifty in CNN's polling, fifty eight percent saying that the government needs to do more. At the at the beginning of twenty twenty three, it was a fifty one forty nine. Now government does more versus government does too much is fifty eight forty one. And what's interesting here is nearly forty percent of Republicans believe that government should actually do more, not less. Why am I singling that number out because in every previous pull that number has never been over thirty before, and it's over forty percent. This gets to the Josh Holly point, right, a Republican senator in Missouri who's worried about these Medicaid cuts because he knows the elect Donald Trump changed the electorate right. The single most important political decision he made in order to become president of the United States was taking the idea of cutting Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid off the table. Now we're having a big argument, now what's a cut what isn't? And I think the country believes Medicaid is getting cut. And it certainly looks, you know, you look at it, they are making cuts to Medicaid. Republicans are going to try to claim it is just simply cleaning up Medicaid, that there aren't cuts to actual beneficiaries. But it doesn't matter. Voters think government, no matter what government's doing, they should do more. So perhaps if your mom, Donnie, and you're offering to have government do even more, maybe this is a reminder that there's a fairly large constituency out there of people who think government should do more and not less. All right, I hope you enjoyed the NBA Draft last night. This is my favorite stat for how crazy the NBA draft is. Of the final eighteen picks. If you paid attention to the first round last night, only one of the final eighteen first round picks belonged to its original owner. That's how often and how many of these picks have been traded back and forth. The Boston Celtics at number twenty eight the only team, the only team after the top I think it was like seven or eight picks. Top ten would be top twelve picks, the only team to be an original owner of that pick. That all seventeen of the final eighteen picks in the first round had been traded. I can't say the NBA isn't interesting. I think that's part of the NBA's problem. There are times where the off season or the stuff on Twitter is sometimes as exciting, if not more exciting, than sometimes they play itself. All right with that, I hope you enjoyed my conversation with my friend Read Wilson. We've worked together for years. He's an ex hotliner, but more importantly, he runs one of the smartest, most important news organizations you might not have heard of yet. It's called Pluribus, tracks what's going on on the state level. More and more your life is being impacted by what state legislatures decide to do or not do. And in fact, one of the big parts of the conversation we have is about AI regulation, which of course Congress. Congressional Republicans are trying to protect big tech from any regulation in the States for ten years. It is a part of the big beautiful bill that is extraordinarily controversial, and this could be the section two thirty piece of legislation. And Republicans do end up doing this that gets hung around their neck in a few years. If AI goes sideways on HI with that, let me sneaking a break and we'll bring on Read Wilson we joining me now is a long time friend of mine, colleague, an ex hotliner and all of you know how I feel about X hotliners on this there is yes, I will always over index on X hotliners on the Chuck podcast. Read Wilson, a former editor in chief himself, got started there when I was there. He is now runs what I think is one of the must reads every morning for me. It's called Pluribus and what it is is it covers what's happening in state legislatures, in state law, and as we all know, there is with so much inaction in the federal level of the government, with one of the weakest legislative branches in the history of the United States, and the sort of the self weakening that Congress has done. It is actually strengthened legislative chambers and legislative action all over the country because of the polarization and inability and whatever you want to have it. And so in many ways, the laboratories of democracy is what we've always referred to as the states. Well, those labs are very busy these days. And whether it's on voting rights, whether it's on cooperation with the federal government, whether it's about medicaid funding, AI regulation. Reid Wilson knows all of these things these days. Plus you know he's a long suffering Seattle SuperSonics fan. We're going to you like that I went SuperSonics on you. It's I had Leibovich on recently read and he came on the program wearing not a Seattle Sonics T shirt, SuperSonics T shirt. It was old school. It was green. It was that faded green yellow was kind of you could see the space needle and you know in the background you saw Shay, Oh, never mind, sorry, I look, we're I'll be honest, we're taping before game seven. This will air after Game seven. Do you care about the thunder and all?
Speaker 3: Are you?
Speaker 1: Like? Are you negative about them, or do you not hold it against Oklahoma City fans for how Howard Schultz destroyed the Seattle super.
Speaker 3: It's not Oklahoma City's fault. It's Howard Schultz's fault. It always will be. Let me tell you a funny story though.
Speaker 2: So I was I was back home over the Fourth of July, and I took my kid to a Fourth of July parade and the gubernatorial candidates came through, and Bob Ferguson, then the attorney general, now the governor stops right in front of me, in front of a guy with a Sonic shirt, and he says, hey, we're not governor, We're going to get the Sonics back. I thought to myself, that feels pretty much done. And you had nothing to do with it. It was just it was the most blatant pandering i'd.
Speaker 1: Ever hey man called pandering. You're at a parade? What that? What parades are full? You really feel that confident? It's just a done deal. It's just about whenever they decide to get Vegas the basketball team, they have to do too, so ergo it'll be Seattle or bust.
Speaker 3: And we got the facilities for it. We don't need to build a new stadium.
Speaker 2: I'm generally negative on using public funds to build stadiums, which by the way, is a pretty big trend in the States right now that we can talk about.
Speaker 3: If you want. But we've got the facilities already, we just need the team.
Speaker 1: You know. It's interesting on that front. So I was, actually i've been I've been sort of going back to my sports business routes a little bit as I'm trying to build a you know, I have this thesis that local sports and youth sports could be what can become the revenue stream to build local to sort of build back local news. And I'm pretty the more I look into it, the more the more bullish I am on this. But it's allowed me to sort of I've gotten I've sort of reacquainted myself with the industry, gotten to know a lot of these key players. And is that a an off the record conversation And I don't want to say where because I don't want to give away that part of it, but generally it was interesting. The essentially what the goal now is in these public funds debates about stadiums is don't go to the voters now right now? The voters are always it's easier to vote them down than vote for them. What's funny about these things is, like take Washington, DC is a great example. There was a lot of controversy about whether Nationals Park should be done the way it was done. Twenty years later, everybody looks at what's been done to the waterfront to that area and says, oh my god, this has been transformational and so which is why it was they're going to get the Commanders deal done because they see what it has meant it really, you know, because sometimes you make these projects and they do not deliver on the extra jobs and the extra this. But it does seem as if if you do it in a city, you know, you try to do it in a suburbs and you're not going to get the return on investment those promises, don't. I mean, it is rare. Maybe the Braves thing is an exception to the rule, but usually suburban developments don't work as well as actual city developments doing these things. But what are you seeing as a trend and do you see more of these local governments going all right, we'll do this, but we cannot essentially make it a referendum with the voters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody wants to go to the voters. Take a look at what happened in Kansas City. The voters there voted down in incremental sales tax. I think it was five to eighths of a cent of a sales tax to keep the chiefs and the royals in town. Now, the legislature just passed something last week to get that project done. Same things happening in Ohio with the Cleveland Brown Stadium. And I think the big trend that you're seeing here is not that legislatures are doing are giving money to rich owners to build new stadiums. That's happened over time. They're building more than just stadiums though. They're building these entertainment districts own the stadium. To talk about DC en sure that that sort of Navy yard area has all built up.
Speaker 3: Around the stadium.
Speaker 2: You're going to see the same thing like the like the power and Light district in Kansas City. Uh, those sort of entertainment districts building up around a stadium so that it's more than just someplace that people go for you know, eight football games a year.
Speaker 3: It's a place where you go to have dinner and walk around a city.
Speaker 1: Well, what's interesting is that the sports franchises themselves realize they have to create a destination they that you know, you're competing. And I always say this with football man, it takes a lot to get me to go to a game, because I is there a better view than your big screen television in your own house right, the ability to see the replay, the ability to do all those things right. And you know, when you go to a game, especially college football, and the extraordinarily lengthy TV timeouts that can sit you know, it isn't a great So you really have to do a lot of other You've got to make the experience big than just the two to three hours in the in the action itself. So I think in many ways the franchises are incentivized to think bigger and then actually that does create payoff for the for the for the local government, because when you think bigger, then you do get hotel taxes, you do get the tourist stuff, you do get just basic sales tax and property tax return, where if it's just the stadium, you don't see any kind of return. Ask Maryland what kind of return they got from from ral John? Right, Yeah, you know, which is no longer roll John whatever that, you know. But but you know, in Landover with that stadium, they didn't get the return they expected because Landover wasn't a destination, pure and simple.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know, by the way, a big thing that a lot of states are dealing with right now is housing.
Speaker 3: And you build an.
Speaker 2: Entertainment district like that, and hey, that's you know, a couple of thousand new housing units something that all these pass.
Speaker 1: You and I both see Mayor Bouser keeps bringing that up. Hey, we're building this many new units in to this this stadium, and that is what I think has made these things go down a little bit easier. And again, voters don't like it. You know. Look, I'm a cranky voter. I almost always vote against these these tax asks referendums in my county, you know, if it's you know, unless it's for schools or parks, like that's the up school in Barts. Yes, you know, I'm one of those voters. But I'm always a little skeptical. Why are you always going to borrow? Why do you always want to borrow? Can you can you do this another way? You know? Type of mindset. I'm probably not alone in that, which is why all of these things are always what fifty one forty nine and usually in the negative, right, And.
Speaker 2: I mean think about it, that people getting the money are billionaires, right, the billionaire sports owners.
Speaker 3: It's the it's the.
Speaker 2: Easy, easy ad campaign, privatization of gain and the socialization of cost.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, no, there's no doubt about it. Look, one of the things that motivated me to get you on sooner rather than later recently one is just because I know we can talk a lot of politics outside of Washington, which I'm constantly interested in. But it's fascinating to me how members of Congress are now realizing they read the fine print of the big, beautiful bill, which you know, I went on and ran on this. I'm not asking every member of Congress read every bill, but can you read the one big one every year that you got to vote on, Right, Like when you were in college, you knew which books you didn't have to read, but there was always one you had to read, right, Yeah, at.
Speaker 3: Least running through chat GPT right, get the summary.
Speaker 1: Get it summary. Although I think the submaries didn't know that this bill was going to take AI regulation power away from the states. Which I remember when I was like, Wow, that is boy AI thinks they can get These AI companies think they're going to get anything they want, And it was amazing how they did get it into part one of that legislation. Now I think it's definitely going away, don't you.
Speaker 2: I would imagine so, especially because we've seen such outcry from the States.
Speaker 3: There was a bipartisan letter.
Speaker 2: A couple of weeks ago from a couple of hundred state legislators, even numbers of Democrats and Republicans and even a couple of independents out there who.
Speaker 3: Said they wanted the power.
Speaker 2: And the interesting thing about this is the states have really taken a lead on it, and it's it's a bipartisan cause there's this there's this caucus of legislators led by a guy named state senator in Connecticut named James Maroney the state of Rapid Texas named Giovanni's Capriglione uh and and they're they're taking very different approaches, but they're sitting there and they're talking about it and learning about AI and uses in state government guard rails around safety and discrimination. UH. It's it's been a huge conversation in the states and they want to keep that power.
Speaker 3: I think it's I.
Speaker 2: Think it's you know, there's a there's At the same time, though, we're seeing the growth of a new set of very moneyed interests playing in politics these days. You know, in the old days, it was it was you know, pharma and big tobacco and you know, the boogeyman. Today it's crypto and it's AI, and they're starting to play federal races. We saw that in you know, the Ohio Senate race, the Pennsylvania Senate race, where the crypto community came in hard for the Republicans.
Speaker 3: And now we're seeing it in state legislators too, where you know, open.
Speaker 2: Ai and Meta and Google are are they're spending a lot of money lobbying mostly against these bills through a number of interesting cutouts.
Speaker 3: You know, there's like the liberal tech interest group will go.
Speaker 2: Play in California and the conservative tech interest group will go play in Texas.
Speaker 1: And the money comes from the same pot, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Money comes from the same pot.
Speaker 2: And they don't really you know, there's no real difference other than they call themselves liberals or conservatives.
Speaker 3: But they all they all.
Speaker 2: Sort of carve it up and then and then the moderate the libertarian guys come in and sew when something actually passes.
Speaker 1: You know. One of the sad new realities in Washington lobbying is that there's it's rarely now big corporations versus citizens. It is usually one industry versus another industry, and they hide behind the people, right, they try to use voters, you know, whether it's you know, we're seeing it with the with with pharma, right, it's like one you know, it's really too moneyed interest going after each other. I don't know if the citizens have any role in this whatsoever. Who's the you know, is there any entity pushing back against big tech on their aggressive AI? Is there another industry stepping into sort of to try to slow down AI's ability to basically get governments to do whatever the hell they want now?
Speaker 3: I don't see an industry group.
Speaker 2: I do see a lot of the AI companies sort of feuding with each other, although mainly on sort of other issues around tech, social media, digital privacy, things like that. A big example is the push for age verification rules. You know, your kid downloads an app, whose responsibility is it to verify that used age?
Speaker 3: Is it? You know, is it the app people themselves, Facebook.
Speaker 2: Snapchat, something like that, or is it an app store Apple and Google Apple? And right now a lot of those, a lot of states are fighting over so.
Speaker 1: In that sense, you get those two big moneyed fights, right It's usually there's a lot of Apple versus meta stuff. I am curious since Apple is sort of the lagger when it comes to sort of AI at this point, are they at all funding the other side of this or no, you know, not.
Speaker 3: That I've seen.
Speaker 2: I mean, the other side is mostly privacy groups, good government groups, common cause people like that.
Speaker 1: Who you know, truly the citizen groups, the original citizen lobbyist type.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as opposed to as opposed to the big companies fighting over AI itself.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting when you just pointed out about how it's a bipartisan pushback right from the states on the against the Feds. And this is one of the things while you know, we talk a lot on a macro level when we look at state legislatures about oh, look, this is a one party control here, one party control there. Yeah, And from sixty thousand feet that's what looks like. And then when you look closer you see a place like Texas right where the Texas House is actually split into three right, it's a three party apparatus these days, and there's sort of coalitions working themselves out and you see these Is there more bipartisanship on the state level than on the federal level or am I just being pollyanniship? No?
Speaker 3: There is, but it's it varies by state.
Speaker 2: So in Texas it is tradition that the Texas House alexis speaker unanimously. You know, the Dems will vote for whatever Republican gets the nomination, assuming it's sort of the moderate Republican and not the ultra conservative.
Speaker 3: And in other.
Speaker 2: States, you know that Illinois was in Illinois, no, somebody else just passed a budget with on a pretty bipartisan vote.
Speaker 3: Arizona is going to do a bipartisan budget too.
Speaker 2: They need to because they've got Republicans have narrow control and there's a democratic governor. In other states, the vitriol is at the same level that it is at the federal government.
Speaker 3: Wisconsin, the RS and the D's barely talk to each other.
Speaker 1: Wisconsin is sort of ground zero. I always say Wisconsin's polarization started before America. Yeah, I think they were they were the shot heard around the world on this But anyway, go ahead.
Speaker 2: But but you know, by partisanship does exist, and let me tell you it exists across state lines too. You know, if I go to the National Conference of State Legislatures, I'll sit next to a a very liberal Democrat from Maryland and a very conservative Republican from Utah, and they have a perfectly pleasant conversation about education policy or whatever it happens to be.
Speaker 3: And I mean, I think largely that's because they're not competing with each other.
Speaker 2: There's no chance those two will ever run against each other or seek control by trying to beat the other person.
Speaker 3: So there is that level of comedy in most states, but certainly not everywhere.
Speaker 1: And would you say, you know, one of the other interesting trends, and you were you were early on spotting this is that you know, the better members of Congress are the ones that were in state legislatures and the basically the crop members, the performers, usually the ones that weren't in state legislatures. That's still the case. Are we starting to are we starting to see the performance influencer mindset infecting state legislatures now too?
Speaker 2: No, I think it's it's it is still the case, largely because you know, I think the people who are most effective are the ones who understand the rules. That's sort of my guiding prints of politics. The people who get the rules are the ones who actually get stuff done.
Speaker 3: And I think, hey, that was.
Speaker 1: True with Mitch McConnell, right, that dude knew how to knew how to manipulate the rules. Sometimes did it with the Nancy Pelosi. I mean, you're right if you understand the rules, particularly of your chamber, better than the person sponsoring, you know, a BILLI you don't like, now you got some leverage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean I always go back to the two thousand and eight Democratic primary, right when the Clinton campaign understood and didn't understand the delegate rules as well as the Obama campaign did. And so you know, Obama was going around picking off delegates here and there and ended up ended up winning the race.
Speaker 1: Of course. So going back on AI on what are what is the most what has been the easiest regulation to get passed on the state level on the AI front.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the thing that most people are are doing now and that that is the bipartisan trend between the you know, the Connecticut version of Bill and the Colorado version of Texas version has been to limit algorithmic discrimination. So if you're you know, seeking housing or or a medical care or something like that, a lot of states are passing rules that say that AI cannot deny you.
Speaker 3: Without the oversight of a human.
Speaker 2: So a human has to go in and make sure that your application isn't isn't denied for unfair reasons.
Speaker 3: You know, these algorithms they learn.
Speaker 2: Things and and they learn from us, and you know, society has its problems with racism and sexism and things like that. So it's it's going to deny people based on things that it shouldn't deny. So that's I think that's been the real common thread. That's the low hanging fruit.
Speaker 1: Who regulates that though, I mean, I look, I want it too, but I have not found the federal government like I look, I think all algorithms should go away. I don't think there's any upside to it, or certainly algorithms should be only allowed only allowed to work based on users giving permission versus the other way around. Right right now, the other way around is you know, they see you know, it's like we have to uh, agree to the parameters that they set in order to use a product versus the other way around. Right, We've just this is unfortunately the mindset. So, I mean enforcement seems to me the part of this that I don't that isn't obvious to.
Speaker 2: Me, right, And the enforcement usually takes place within within an agency itself or with the with the attorney generals.
Speaker 1: What state has this kind of uh what state has this kind of brain power to do this? No offense? But I mean we all know on a government salary, you're not going to get the people that understand that understand code as well as the people writing.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Sure, but I think in this case it's it's more a sort of a policy examiner. So if it has to do with housing, you're going to have the housing agency overseeing, uh that kind of decision. If if it has to do with medical care, you know you're going to have the state Department of Health and Human Services overseeing something like that.
Speaker 3: You don't I don't think you need the AI coder.
Speaker 2: Uh to go in and make sure that you know, John Doe's medical procedure was denied for a you know, incorrect reason.
Speaker 3: You need an insurance examiner a medical examiner or something like that.
Speaker 2: So this is but to your broader point, this is a huge deal that every state is dealing with. They know that the you know, the wave of the future. What's the old line, like, your job isn't going to be taken by AI, but your job is going to be taken by somebody who understands AI. And a lot of states are looking for that workforce. Who in the workforce that's going to understand the AI of the future, because there are a lot of things that that AI could streamline, a driver's license renewals, or just the basic government functions of the sort of lower level of intro employee new employee that could be made more efficient, so long as you have the workforce there that understands how to create those efficiencies. And I think that's where that's where we're seeing a bit of a problem in state workforces.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: There's a huge wave of baby boomers who are retiring and there are not a ton of people who are coming in to take those jobs.
Speaker 1: So AI is almost there's almost an urgency to get it going in order to fill gaps that they see right now due to retired government.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just to streamline government, make it more efficient. That's something that I could could do in a positive way, so long as you have those algorithmic discrimination protections over.
Speaker 3: The top of it.
Speaker 1: A derivative of the AI issue is access to power. And you may be loosening regular relations for small nuclear power plants, right and things like this. What what is the trend? And is our legislatures basically rolling over for for the for these industries to to hand them any anything they want in order to experiment with power or or is it is there is there some pushback?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so a couple of different things are happening here that the AI AI uses compute. Compute requires power, you know, electricity run These massive data centers are blowing up absolutely everywhere. There are some states that are that are moving to create as much power capacity as possible.
Speaker 3: Some and the and the projections.
Speaker 1: Are are those states that are doing that.
Speaker 2: Utah, Michigan, and Virginia are moving forward on the small module reactors, although those reactors they're going to take a while. Pennsylvania Meta, I think it was Meta signed a big deal with with three Mile Island to restart the good luck with that. Yeah, it's amazing that what.
Speaker 3: It's requiring there.
Speaker 2: There are some states that are moving and Mississippi is a good example here where they have they have approved so many data centers sort of as a backdoor way to create new power, to create the demand for new power that will then create the demand for coal and and sort of traditional power plants, if you will. The really sort of the third degree impact here though, is that these data centers are starting to cost states a lot of money.
Speaker 3: And not just like.
Speaker 2: You in Virginia where you live in Virginia, I don't know if you know this, Chuck, there is a there is a greater concentration of data centers in northern Virginia than there is anywhere else in so.
Speaker 1: Oh reed, Look, let me tell you a little something about our alma mater. Yeah, and w owns a bunch of land out there, loud m It is the last piece of land that is zoned for a data center. It is worth a bunch of extra money now because there's suddenly nobody wants to give more permission for this, right there is suddenly what you just described. So it's interesting. There's a look, you know, universities are looking for new pockets of money asap, right, so they It may be good news for GW, but it is interesting. It's funny you brought this up because I've learned this that you know, Louden was very open to this until they weren't. Right all of a sudden, now Louden residents are fighting this and there are others that don't want Suddenly there's a pushback against these data centers.
Speaker 3: Correct, and yes there is.
Speaker 2: And by the way, it's being led in the Virginia legislature by another former Hotliner stay centered, Danica Rome.
Speaker 1: Oh, Danica, you're right, thelight boy. We cast so much trouble, don't.
Speaker 2: We because she keeps bringing all these anti data center bills and haven't haven't passed yet.
Speaker 1: But she reps Louden, I believe, right, a big chunkle loud Yeah, yep.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you a funny story when when she worked at the hotline, uh, you know, we had to be in the off is at six am. Right. Of course, she was late frequently and I you know, got mad and yelled at her once. Well you know Route twenty eight, Route twenty well, you know, to her credit, she ran her entire first campaign promising to fix the Route twenty eight right.
Speaker 1: So it turns out she wasn't b s U right, Like it wasn't just like my dog ate my homework.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me let me make one more point on these data centers, which which I think is interesting. They are they are starting to cost states a lot more money in the incentives. Like we talked about with the stadiums, the amount of money that states are paying to locate these data centers in their areas is through the roof.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's not a lot of jobs associated with not right, and it was a automated crap.
Speaker 2: I mean, and we're talking, you know, close to half a billion dollars this year in subsidies alone. So these states passed a lot of incentives four or five years ago that now these data centers are realizing, hey we can we can claw back a whole bunch of tax revenue and things like that, and so they're building it.
Speaker 3: And now that now the.
Speaker 2: State budgets are exploding because of these data centers. So I think in the next couple of years you're going to see legislators trying to sunset a lot of these incentive backs.
Speaker 1: Two more hot button issues that I know are royaling multiple state legislatures. One is housing and zoning. And you know, look, you know, whatever neighborhood if you live, you know, suburban neighborhoods have these fights. This is county level stuff. But then states are trying to deal with it. We we know California is you know, how do you? San Jose has these where you can take your backyard garage and turn it into an apartment, standalonepartment. I think they are actually going to sell these things, of these little micro properties. I think they call them ad us.
Speaker 3: Well huge right legislatures.
Speaker 1: And so is that is how is that a polarizing issue? Uh? And is it? I assume it's pitting geographic areas against each other rather necessarily than partisan ship. Correct, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: And we're seeing we're seeing something very clever is happening right now. A lot of states have taken up big housing packages in recent years. Colorado, Oregon, New Mexico, Uh, your home state of Florida, my home state of Washington both changed single family zoning laws recently, uh in certain cities to allow more you know, multi multi family housing. So yeah, this becomes a huge nimbi issue, right Uh, where the locals don't want new housing coming in because it I don't know, devalues their housing, their housing market or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they think it does it. You know, well I know this. Over time, all it does is increase you know, increase value. It also does it always.
Speaker 2: The clever thing that's happening in a lot of these states is that the city councils in some of these areas where the nimbi's are strong, will go to the legislator I talked to. I talked to a legislator in Colorado about this. She told me she was getting a whole bunch of phone calls from the city councils in all the mountain towns saying, you guys have to preempt up now.
Speaker 3: Ordinarily you know this. Cities hate being funny by the state.
Speaker 1: Because they said they knew it's a popular like, look, we're not gonna be able to deal with this. Don't make us do it. If it's right.
Speaker 3: The state is the one setting the rules.
Speaker 2: The local guys get to say, look at the big bad guys up there at the state capitol.
Speaker 3: It's not us they get. You know, the locals get reelected.
Speaker 2: The state legislators mostly get re elected because they're in Denver or Boulder.
Speaker 3: Or wherever, and you get more housing in these mountaintowns.
Speaker 2: So those those conversations happen behind closed doors, and more and more housing comes to these areas. So we're seeing I mean, we're seeing a lot of big housing packages that focus on zoning, that focus on those alternatives.
Speaker 3: Dwelling units, things like that.
Speaker 2: But I mean, there's no question there's a massive housing crisis across the country. I mean, in Rhode Island, there's a story in the Providence Journal today that the median housing cost in Rhode Island for a single family home is now north of half a million dollars.
Speaker 3: You know, in California it's north of a million dollars.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's every state knows they've got to build this housing as as possible.
Speaker 3: The problem is to take so long.
Speaker 1: You know. Rita was funny. Every member of Congress I talked with last year, and I would say, hey, what's an issue you never talk you never bring up, but your voters always bring up to you. And they all set housing. You know, it was one of those they say, we don't talk about enough. You guys don't ask meaning us in the national media. We don't ask enough about it, and partially because we all know it's a local issue, right, you know, there's not really much the FEDS can do about it. But that doesn't mean people don't go to their congressmen and complain about local things. Right, You're like, come on, like, we've got a problem here. You know, I don't know if it's necessarily something the FEDS can deal with, as much as this really is a state local issue. The other one is the privatization of the public school system, which seems to be certainly that is probably a partisan that obviously is falling along partisan lines. But you know, the destruction of the public school system in Miami has just been just heartbreaking for me and a lot of people. And it's all over Florida's got huge gaps here. Texas is about to go on this and they've already had a very antiquated public school where basically you and I could say, hey, we're starting a school district, not just the school, you know, not just homeschool. You can start your own school district in Texas and then suddenly collect public tax dollars and that you may or may not have to account for. So obviously I have strong feelings about this because I just think we have problems in our public school system. This is not the way to address it. That's my frustration with this. But is a is in these conservative legislatures? Is this just a I mean, it's just an avalanche that's coming and the privatization of our public education system is only increasing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So this is why Player of US News exists.
Speaker 2: Like we our goal here is not to cover, you know, everything that happens in one state's legislature, to spot the trends that happened across the country. And the very first trend that we started following three years ago when we kicked off, was this push to expand school vouchers. And Iowa was the first state. And by the way, this is why it's important to pay attention to more than just California and Texas.
Speaker 3: And New York.
Speaker 2: You know, Iowa is a real leader these days in conservative policy. They were the first ones to kick off this voucher push. Governor Reynolds signed the bill like two weeks into session.
Speaker 1: Of course, Jeb Bush started this and Flay I did, I mean, everybody is this is derivative of the Florida Plan.
Speaker 2: This is the latest This is the latest push, and after Iowa did it, about two dozen states followed suits, most recently in Texas.
Speaker 1: Iowa has a Democratic governor in eighteen months. It'll be because of this issue, I.
Speaker 2: Believe very well. Maybe. But the interesting thing that we're seeing now, so this happens in steps. First of all, you establish a program usually for people who are three hundred to four hundred percent of the medium by the poverty level, poverty level which is what eighty to one hundred thousand dollars total. Then the pool begins to expand, and you expand it to people who make up to two hundred thousand, are up to five hundred thousand, and then everybody who you know had disabled students or special needs students are included too. And then we go universe. And that's the that's the latest thing that we've seen here is a number of states expanding that eligibility pool to all kids in their state, places like New Hampshire, Iowa, Arkansas just did it.
Speaker 3: Texas is taking that first step.
Speaker 2: After you talked about the three parties in Texas well, the Texas House, the Republican held Texas House, was where voucher bills went to die Unbitt spent a whole bunch of money primary ing all the anti voucher members.
Speaker 3: And he finally got it through this year.
Speaker 2: So the just like we talked about with the data centers here, when you go to that universal eligibility like Iowa did, the amount of money that that costs the public school systems explodes. We're talking, I mean, you know, fifty sixty seventy million dollars over what states had budgeted in small states like Iowa and Arkansas, so legislators are having to go back to the well, spend more money on these on these.
Speaker 3: Programs, and it's costing a whole bunch of money.
Speaker 2: The other funny thing that happens is that the schools themselves respond. So in Iowa, there was a you know, there's a maximum amount that students can receive for these vouchers.
Speaker 3: I think it's nine thousand dollars a year somewhere around there.
Speaker 2: Well, funny enough, all the Catholic schools in Iowa change their tuition rates to about that nine thousand dollars a year. So schools themselves are raising tuition to capture as much as that of that money as possible, which again no it's.
Speaker 1: Just a wealth transfer. It's not actually doing it's not doing what the original do gooders thought what they were trying to do, right, which is, you know, how do you you know, how do you allow parents who are trapped in a bad school district to get out of that school district? Right? That's the original problem. And nobody ever thought, let's fix the school. Everybody is always like, let's abandon the school. And I'm trying to figure out how this is. You know, when you keep abandoning these schools, where in rural America? Are we building more schools in rural America to create school choice?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: I mean, this is this is the reality that I think Texans are going to run into and why I actually think this is going to turn into and why for instance, in Iowa this is more polarizing than you think it would be because you know, in theory, many of these conservative voters agree with the premise, and then the reality sets in, well, oh so I have to go thirty miles away or then or somebody says I'm going to start a school, right, and that's what you're getting. You're getting and some of them are good, and some of them are are crooked. And what I've not What I've also noticed is that there doesn't seem to be any good regulatory model to find out are these startup schools stealing tech expayer money or actually putting it to good use.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a there's a just just as we talked about in AI and these big tech companies. I mean, there's a booming business behind this. It's not just the charter schools. It's the firms that administer the education savings accounts or vouchers, whichever they are. You know, that's that's like the biggest sexy thing in the world. You're never going to see that on TV, but that's that's a lot of money right there.
Speaker 1: And that well, that's the thing. Like you know, look, I have a friend of mine who's an education lobbyist in Florida who was telling me that, you know, they keep they keep sort of starving the public school and they do this and then there's no there's no agency that holds the private charter accountable and there's no auditing of that money. The public school system gets audited all the time, right you know, there's a school board that oversees it. There's multiple layers of of watchdogs on that money. And you know, as these voucher systems have been expanded, there's been very little expansion of oversight welso on how this money is being spent.
Speaker 2: And this brings up another thing that legislators are doing these days. Chuck, define for me an educational expense because in Utah right now, you can pay for a ski pass with your education savings account and you can you know, there are whole forums on Reddit and things like that where you can use.
Speaker 1: So signing my kids up for any sport then becomes an educational expense because guess what, if they're good at the sport, they actually might get money for it.
Speaker 2: Hey. I mean, you know, Chuck, if you're using YouTube for an educational purpose, why not. I think you need a big screen TV, don't you. I mean that's like people are gaming the system to buy things like big screen TVs and toys and video games and things like that. So now legislators are going back and further defining what you can actually spend that money on.
Speaker 3: But you know, I'll take I'll take a ski pass and a big screen TV if you know, for my kid.
Speaker 1: All right, let me tackle this school issue in other way. Is there anybody actually saying, hey, let's rethink the public's you know, the public education sytemm, but in a public funded way, like you know, look, I do believe we haven't changed the I understand the frustration, right. We haven't really changed the premise of our public education system since we created it over one hundred years ago. It's basically the same premise property taxes, funded district stuff like that. So I have no doubt. And and you know, we're we do everything by age. And I think now all the all the research indicates that learning, you know, that that is a you know, that is not always the best way to go, and that you need to have some of that flexibility.
Speaker 3: No doubt.
Speaker 1: Smaller class sizes help with that all those things, right, and certainly those with means can go to a private school and get a form of that. But I guess that's the is there is there any legislature, Is there any leader in this space thinking about how to create this flexibility in the publics, in the public sector rather than just farming out tax to the private sector.
Speaker 3: Uh, not that I can think of.
Speaker 2: I mean, this strikes me as one of those issues that sort of sort of like housing that it is so it is so big structurally that you would need a I mean, this is why we're never going to get a real tax reform package passed through Congress.
Speaker 3: You know, it's so big that anything you do is going to create an enemy.
Speaker 2: This it sort of reminds me of what they did in Colorado a couple of years ago with their housing package. They put all the bills together in one, one big omnibus bill, and it gave everybody just enough to hate that they voted it down. Well, the next year they came back and they introduced a lot of the same bills as piecemeal bills, and if you hated this one, you could vote against it, but you could vote for this one.
Speaker 3: Suddenly everything passed.
Speaker 2: This is you know, it's really hard to get a massive structural change through a legislature because you're giving everybody just enough to hate that they can vote against it as opposed to little piece meal stuff. And education is so huge, huge, I mean, you're not going to change the system with piecemeal stuff.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting read. I actually think this is an underrated issue for a presidential candidate to tackle. Like I can tell you this, I know, Bill Clinton, if this were nineteen ninety one, he'd be talking about this no one. You know, he knows that this is this is something that cuts across parties, party line. So it's a way that you could actually have a conversation with voters from different ideological stripes if you come at it from a hey, we know it's a problem. We need to we need to figure out a better way. I don't have the answer yet, but I know we got to tackle it. I actually think simply leaning in on that a little bit it's probably good politics right now.
Speaker 2: It strikes me as something like Simpson's bowl. Simpson bowls where you know, and when Simpson bowls it, I get you on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's just it's.
Speaker 2: So big that everybody's going to find a reason to hate it.
Speaker 1: It's possible, I hear you on that, and it can get weaponized quite easily. All let's talk a little bit of politics in the States. You know, I can't stand so much of the political analysis these days nationally, particularly when it comes to sort of projecting the politics of a state, where there's always this assumption that what it is today is what it'll be in four years. You know, there's all this doom and gloom on the left about the Democrats are never going to control the Senate again because of the trend lines in different states. And I'm just sitting there going, God, does anybody think about history right?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: You know, what seems absolutely certain today can change within a cycle. So with that said, which states that are perceived to be you know, fairly reliably red or fairly reliably blue that there's some tumult underneath that we ought to pay attention to these midterms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd pay attention to a state like Wisconsin, which just went through a rediscerpt.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm just going to list all the swing states.
Speaker 1: You don't get to. Don't give me a presidential swing state. I said, reliably read reliably blue. You don't get to come back maybe with Wisconsin. Man. And you know what, because I know you, I can say that, See this is why you got to bring people on your pie. And you know, God, damn it read anyway, Sorry, kiddy, Thanks Jack, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You bring up Iowa. Iowa was a good one. Rob sand is the state audit there. He's runner for governor, the only Democrat left in state wide office. He's young dynamic. He looked forgive me rob if you listen to this, but he looks like a teenager.
Speaker 1: But he's you know those blue eyes. Man, he's like, oh blue eyes. You know you're waiting for him to sing Sinatra at you. But man, he's also he's also like a like he's an uncomfortable Democrat and he says it, which might be the right, might be the right persona to have this scle.
Speaker 2: The thing that's always interested in me about states is about the state politics.
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: People vote for governor differently than they do for US Senate seed to US House seats.
Speaker 1: Just go to Kansas, right, you'll find that.
Speaker 2: Look, yeah, Larry Hogan can win a governorship in Maryland, but he couldn't win a Senate seat. You know, same thing with Phil Bredeson and Tennessee or or I don't know.
Speaker 3: Dave. Did Dave run for governor percentate? I can't remember.
Speaker 1: But Freudenthal did and he didn't win. No, I mean absolutely, I think they did try to get him and he didn't and it didn't work.
Speaker 2: So, I mean there are always going to be interesting opportunities for ds and rs to pick up seats that that they they otherwise. I mean Phil Scott has been the governor of Vermont for four two year terms. Now, last time he won with seventy something percent of the vote. He didn't run a television ad. He a Republican winning in Vermont without running a TV ad.
Speaker 1: Every two years. Yeah, you know that's a pretty pretty well would I would say highly uh highly news literate state?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Well, so you know a state like Oregon is going to be interesting because there are you know, there there's a lot of unhappiness with with Democrats in Portland, and and you know Governor kotech Is is going to run for reelection.
Speaker 1: What are we up to? Are they the second longest streak after your home state of white party governorship?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Sorry, third, third longest.
Speaker 2: South Dakota is the longest Republican streaky a Democrat in the seventies. Washington last elected a Republican in nineteen eighty Oregon in nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they're both longest. Idaho Is Idaho not in that top four?
Speaker 3: Who did Idaho have? Idaho? I had a republic a Democratic governor in the in the ninet nineties. I'm going to blank on who was.
Speaker 1: There was a guy named Larry Echohawk that always would come really close, but never never, never quite get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those Mountain West states are becoming increasingly difficult for Democrats.
Speaker 1: All right, when look this cycle, it's New Jersey, right, this is the quote reliably blue state that feels like it's going to be a real swing state.
Speaker 3: This, I'll make you bet, Chuck.
Speaker 2: I was talking to a Republican stratge out in Vermont in Virginia yesterday, and then he was talking, he was talking up his Well I can say this because he posted it.
Speaker 3: It's your your doppelganger, Brent Todd.
Speaker 2: Is working on He posted something on his blog about Republican chances in Virginia is here.
Speaker 1: I will bet you New Jersey will be closer than Virginia. I I, you know, sorry, but said that. I think I've already said that on my my pot a few times. Oh. I think Virginia is going to be double digits on the top part of the ticket probably. You know, when I say double digit, somewhere between that right around that Ralph Northam, you know, somewhere between eight and eleven. I mean just the federal worker stuff alone. The question is, is you know the and I assume Brad Todd has one race he cares about in Virginia. I think he's got the AG right, who's the only incumbent on the ballot, and that'll be the test, right, how strong are Spamberger's coattails? Does does the AG winner loose?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And I think it's a it's you know, I don't it's not the strongest down ballid ticket Democrats could have nominated. But guess what, it's not exactly a strong top of the ticket on the Republican side. So it's an interesting I do think Virginia AG will be in Virginia LG will both be weirdly closer, will be really perhaps fairly competitive on that front. But New Jersey there's no to me. I mean, and we were seeing this, I mean New Jersey has that you know, there was a you know, it has it has that blue collar Democratic labor voter that's culturally a bit more conservative than the average Democratic candidate these days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Republicans have had have sort of harbored the hopes of winning there for a long time.
Speaker 3: You'll remember this better than I did. Dick Cheney make it last minute stop in Jersey in two thousand or four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, New Jersey's always one of those states it polls, you know, remember you and I used to talk about this all the time. It always polls close because there's always a high undecided, right, it's a weird. There's no media market. It's all bleeding in. I always say I feel sorry for New Jersey's reputation because the only reason they have the reputation is sort of a scandal plague state is because the Philadelphia media market and the New York media market only covers New Jersey politics when there's something bad that happens. They never cover the day to day stuff. They cover the day to day of their own states, but they never cover So the outsized coverage of the negative of New Jersey creates this negative vibe unfortunately for for I think New Jersey politicians, which you know, it's actually a fairly competent state government, you know, whether it was Christian charge, Murphy in charge, et cetera. But it does have this this reputation. Some of it is, you know, an old reputation. Some of it is basically right, yeah, the party boss stuff that got rid of that, which is a you know, Andy Kim is never a US senator without it, you know, on that front. But there's definitely Jersey. Let me ask a few other states that I'm wondering if their legislatures have sort of pushed the envelope too much to give the other party a chance here. So do we see any green shoots for the Republicans in Massachusetts this cycle? They're going to go to maga on there there are.
Speaker 3: I mean, there are, there are such.
Speaker 2: Small you know, Republican Republican caucus in Massachusetts is so small that even even if they do well, you know, they get two or three more seats.
Speaker 3: And that's I mean, it's such a such a little.
Speaker 1: And as a Charlie Baker's not walking through that door.
Speaker 2: No, No, Charlie Banker and Republicans had a remarkable streak. But they've had They've had six of.
Speaker 1: The I think they've had more Republican governors in the last thirty years than Democratic governments.
Speaker 3: They certainly have, But that takes a Charlie Baker, a Mitt Romney something like that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I am. I think Tommy, let's talk about the three US Senators running for governor. Tommy Tapperville, Alabama, Michael Bennett Colorado, Marsha Blackburn, Tennessee? Am I leaving somebody out? Those are the no But I don't think Blackburn has technically gotten in yet. But we all know, right, but she's already run ads like I'm sorry, Like I'm not. You know, she's already run ads for it. So please, is there a fourth that I'm missing? Right on took himself out of New Mexico. I know there was some chatter there where else was there chatter?
Speaker 3: I was thinking about it too. But he's not going to run No. I think that's all.
Speaker 1: Right, So let's look at those three. Bennett looks like, what's what am I missing? This looks like he's going to a walk in the park. What would prevent that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Republicans haven't been I mean in Colorado is one of those states that gets to your point about about you know, sort of the evolution, right.
Speaker 3: It was a conservative state. Now it is a liberal state.
Speaker 1: And but that's too liberal. It's always what you can't go too far. I mean, like polis knew what he could and couldn't do during COVID, for instance, Right, I think I think he was the I think no governor handled COVID politically better than Jared Polis. Polis is given a lot of credit, but DeSantis didn't help his national reputation. Polis helped both his local and national reputations.
Speaker 3: I think, I think what we're going to see, what if if Polish runs for president, he's going to be.
Speaker 1: The centrist.
Speaker 2: I'm a most conservative person, democratic feed, pro business. Polis was never a liberal. He was He's never been a liberal. He was.
Speaker 1: No. He was the boulder Boulder thing, being a bolder congressman, which used to be the kiss of death for state wide office in Colorado. I always wonder to that about him. But his background was you know, he was a tech guy, right, and he made a bunch of money. I always say, do you remember in the early days of the internet the musical greeting cards? Right? That was him. You know. Alabama is the one that I think Tommy Tupperville is just not a good political athlete. He may be a good football ex football coach, but he doesn't He steps in it quite a bit. And as you point out, voters take governor's racist more seriously by the person than by the party. If Doug Jones runs for governor, why do I think that's a competitive.
Speaker 2: Race, it'll be competitive. I don't think it'll be I think Tupperville probably still wins. But by the way, he's a football coach. I haven't heard him mention that fifty times in the last hour.
Speaker 1: Fairly, I think one of the most. You know, I don't make any look, he was a he was a really good assistant coach at the University of Miami. You know, back in the day, you know, there's I will just say, I've got a lot of family that's big Auburn fans. Nobody shed a tear when that dude left. Nobody shed a teer when that.
Speaker 3: Dud There are always politicians who lean so heavy into their into their backstory that it I mean, it's I don't want to mock people, but it's it's pretty easy though.
Speaker 1: That's my point with him, Like he does it. Look, dude, you weren't that successful. You weren't the worst coach. They were the worst, but you weren't the best. Yeah, the riker to ever tell you you caught the Green River killer? I mean, howay, but that you know what, at least that has something to do with your job. Okay, at least that was a public service. Okay, I don't think football coach applies to that. And you know, look, Tennessee is one of the more remarkable states if I you know, when I was first coming up professionally in politics, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, when you said new South, it was Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia. Well, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia definitely sort of is in one direction, but Tennessee didn't go in that direction now, and it's you know, it's it is. You know, part of it was the strength of the Eastern Tennessee Republicans to sort of prevent too much democratic encroachment early on. But that's my only question. There is there a point where Nashville grows so much that Blackburn is seen is slightly too far to the right. I don't. I don't think so, but I'm just curious what you're seeing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, I think the difference between the first three states to outline there, Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia and Tennessee is that those first three states are becoming a sort of a second Silicon Valley. They're becoming homes to the big growing industries of today. You know, the demographics that that changed Virginia. Weren't the federal workers. They were the they were the data center workers, right, folks around the Richmond suburbs exactly. And I'm up in Charlottesville and Northern and the and the Ampton Roads, and the same thing is happening in you know, around the fintech sector in Charlotte and Raleigh, uh and the tech sectors establishing a base in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: You're not seeing the same thing in Tennessee.
Speaker 2: And so I think I think that sort of broader changing economy uh is is what's brought in the younger workers, and those younger workers that tend to be more liberal. Of course, the natural flow of this is, you know, this brings up what about Texas? What about Austin, San Antonio? You know, the fastest growing states in America, But take a look at the Census Bureau puts out a list every year of the fast growing cities in America, and they're all to the sun Belt sun Belt areas. You know that they're in Texas, They're in the Phoenix suburbs or something like that. And hey, look, you know Arizona has two Democratic senators. Now, North Carolina is always going to be competitive. Georgia has two Democratic senators for the moment, so you know, Texas, Texas should be on that list. But it's I feel like it's it's the Democratic version of Republicans New Jersey where it's always loosey in the football.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is, and it's and it's so and the and look, Republicans probably could if they spent more time in New Jersey, probably could keep it competitive. But it's such an expensive proposition. And that's what happens to Democrats with both Florida and Texas, Like it's a lot of work to keep it up right, and they just and of course then you throw in bad state party leadership, right and there's just nobody. There's nobody, there's you know, there is no None of these mayors in Texas and none of the mayors in Florida have become party leaders, you know what I mean. It becomes sort of that North Star, the way Bob Graham was able to and even Bill Nelson to a lesser extent, keep the state party competitive in a float, or the way you know, frankly, not since Lloyd Benson was there a Democrat that could be a magnet for money in the state party to to have the to have the resources do that. And that's the same problem in New Jersey, right, there was no one Republican to invest in to get that part because it was just no other officeholders that they had there. Interesting take on Tennessee. I also think that Memphis is just such a an ignored area by the state to try to redevelop, right And and ironically it's almost like there's a part of me that thinks the Republicans in Nashville are afraid that they don't want to create a second Nashville. Yeah, yeah, right, and Memphis.
Speaker 2: Talk about talking about preemption. By the way, Tennessee is working on a bill. I don't know if it's past yet, but it would effectively preempt Nashville from naming its own airport. Uh.
Speaker 3: And hey, you want to take a gas or they want to name the airport after.
Speaker 1: Well why, I mean, look, you do it after If it isn't Peyton Manning's airport, then I don't want to hear about it.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm shocked, really, I'm shocked. I'm sure, Well, somebody's going to get you know, it's going to get the Trump Airport. When is Obama getting an airport, right, and we went down that. Yeah, I mean I couldn't actually tell you who O'Hare was exactly at this point? Do you turn it all? Right? Harry Reid took over Vegas? Right, George Bush? I remember my cousin one time left the country for six months and he goes, I flew out of National change planes in Houston, and then I came back and I flew from Bush to Reagan. It was like both happened like within six months of each other.
Speaker 3: Now here's some contrivia for you. What president's name is on?
Speaker 2: Now let me say what airport named for a president is the smallest in America based on passenger traffic.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm going to say Grand Rapids.
Speaker 3: Abraham Lincoln Airport in Springfield, Illinois.
Speaker 1: Oh a B Lincoln. Ab Lincoln has the naming rights. Huh. I'm waiting for airports to auction off their naming rights like football stadium right, you know you're changing played at Hartsfield Why Hartsfield Jackson? No, No, no, come on, Amazon, Hey, I'm now changing planes in the Amazon Airport. I'm not you think I'm kidding. I you know, at some point, right, you know what do you think toll roads were at one point? What do you think rest stops are about. It's about state governments getting you know, Hey, you want to be at our rest stop, you got to pay us.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I think this is coming to airports. We're probably twenty years away, but I bet it's coming. Well.
Speaker 3: UPS will take over Louisville. That's their big distribution hub.
Speaker 1: Right, maybe you sell the naming rights of terminals first, Right, you don't quite do the whole airport, but you do that, Okay, the Amazon terminal, the Apple terminal, the UPS terminal.
Speaker 2: Amazon does a ton of business at BWI. Although I kind of like the THIRDD.
Speaker 3: Marshall name, I.
Speaker 1: Hope I do too. I mean, I look, the reason I like to see stuff named after politicians is sort of a force history on people. Sometimes. I always say, look, you need to accidentally teach people about history. If they're not that interested in it, that's fine. Not everybody should be. But then if you name stuff after people that were elevant, you know, then it's a way to have a conversation. It's a way to spark a conversation. And oh why do they call it this? And you might go read a plaque and oh, you might have educated yourself by accident. And we can remain very, very in favor of these things.
Speaker 2: We can rename things that are named after terrible people like you know, Pat McCarran was a kind of a jerk, and you know, Harry Reid.
Speaker 1: Is now there you go, well so, but sometimes Harry Reid thought I was a jerk. So I don't know, you know, I was. I was going to say, you know, having worked for you, you know, all right, all right, are the Mariners ever going to make the playoffs?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, I mean, are you guys with the longest route? Right?
Speaker 3: Well, so we made it the other year in the last two years to get in.
Speaker 1: Okay that for that one game playoff business, whatever it was, it.
Speaker 2: Doesn't count for me. Now where Look, I've haken. I've got an eight year old.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about cal Raley? I mean, is this like the greatest thing ever?
Speaker 3: I love?
Speaker 2: He's fantastic, But I've got an eight year old. I've taken him to ten Seattle games and nine Mariner games. In a Seahawks game, they lost the first nine, They lost the first nine. He finally saw the Mariners beat the Nationals last year and I was like, look, can this this is teaching you to be a good loser, which is just as import as it is to be a good.
Speaker 1: I completely agree. I always said this. You know, you know people think I'm a bandwagon Packer fan. It's like, no, man, when I was a Packer fan, they sucked, man, we were, we were. In fact, there was a sports writer for Newsweek that used to call the annual Packers Buccaneers game the Bay of Pigs. It was because neither team made the playoffs for like ten years. It was just you know, below five hundred football, and you're right when you when you lose and then you win, it's some as it is you fork and and so uh it's uh. The Mariners are a frustrating you guys. Have I love the players that go in and out of that franchise and you're like, what, why can't it all be put together? Jay Rod drives me crazy. He's he's always won for four. I have enough fantasy team. He's always won for four. You has ever three for four? You know, he's not an over for guy. But it's like I keep waiting for him to be a Kuna and he's not a Kuna. But he's all the Kunah talent.
Speaker 3: Yeah you've been You've been hot on him longer than I have been.
Speaker 1: I know, have you given up on him? He's just he is who he is a very good player. But not Ken Griffy.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, oh yeah, nobody, nobody will ever be Griffy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So well, the cal Raley, I mean, if we have a home run you know, he gets to be in the home run derby, that'll be exciting for your for your son. I mean, that'll be fun to route for hopefully James.
Speaker 3: Wood's right, Yeah, no, he would like that. That's coming up in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, the home run. Look, every the MLB All Star it's like the NBA All Start, every other every event is fun except the game itself, you know, right, everything else is awesome. The home run contest, I like that, even the celebrity game, right, it's kind of fun, right, it's interesting the player show. The game itself sucks.
Speaker 3: I got to go to the game.
Speaker 2: I got to go to the game in two thousand and one when it was in Seattle and cal Rip can hit that groove fastball's Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's thank you, thank you, deeo Nomo.
Speaker 1: Good for him? Good for him anyway, read Wilson Pluribus Business good I assume, right. The more action in the States, my gosh.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's it's been great.
Speaker 2: We're actually now a part of the State Affairs Network, so you can check that out at state affairs dot com.
Speaker 1: People find it, yeah, yeah dot com. Sign up for your other socials? Are you all over the place? Where should people find at.
Speaker 2: Pluribus news everywhere you can. You can think of on blue Sky, on Twitter x whatever it is, Facebook, all that stuff. Yeah, we send out a morning newsletter that is. I mean, if you if you used to read the Hotline, you're going to see very strong notes of hotlinification in there.
Speaker 3: But every morning you.
Speaker 1: Talking like a wine guy, you'll see notes of behind in there, with a dab of roll call and a tiny splash of the hill right.
Speaker 2: Well, and look our I would credit a good friend of both yours and mine, Danielle Jones, with infusing a lot of the flavor of RBUS news. I try to I try to emulate sort of her amazing sense of humor and all that in our daily news.
Speaker 1: Let you do you know, it's funny. I could tell your try your You're like, I have a feeling your audience doesn't have a sense of humor yet. So you're just you're it's baby steps. Your quotes are great, You're you're trying to get them there. You're like, come on, guys, have a laugh, and hey we.
Speaker 2: Get we get great feedback to the state legislators who read us. We'll tell me, you know, keep that funny news in there, keep the funny quotes things like that.
Speaker 3: People love that stuff.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I love the quirky stuff. Man, it's you know, I borrow it all the time. There's about seven thousand other issues we didn't even talk about. Abortion. Is abortion even on the radar this legislative season.
Speaker 2: It is? It is, but it's it's largely Blue states passing protection lections from providers.
Speaker 1: May not see anything in red states.
Speaker 2: You are, those red states have done as much as they can. There are some red states.
Speaker 1: Missouri is trying to undo the voter ballot voter reference some other Well that's the other trend that I've noticed is that red states are trying to have referendum, are trying to everybody either either you do what Florida did and try to raise the threshold beyond you know, viability, or they're trying to make it hard. This petition signature crap in Oklahoma, where you know, we're not going to base it on population, We're going to base it on something else. I mean, the fact that Tulsa or Oklahoma City will get punished. I mean, to me, those laws are unconstitutional because there's any I think it violates equal protection. But it is interesting how fearful these red states are of their urban centers creating referendum that they don't like.
Speaker 3: And that's a longer trend than just recently.
Speaker 2: I mean, the progressive era was marked by ballot measures in the West that you know, took power away from corrupt legislatures that were owned by the timber barons and the robber barons and gave power to the people. And of course those legislatures tried to undo everything. I feel extremely strongly about ballot measures the first political campaign.
Speaker 1: Oh you're a West guy, Look I have my own. I think they're all unconstitutional. We're republic, we're not a direct we're not a direct democracy. So and I get the tenth Amendment, but I think, but that said, if it's the law, then it should be you know, hey, you know that's the consequence in your state constitution.
Speaker 2: I'm a big fan of ballot measures, and someday I'll write a history of ballot measures that fifteen people will read.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, maybe you can create a TikTok that goes viral.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that'll that'll definitely help it, you know, so you'll get more than fifteen people.
Speaker 3: That's true, that's true.
Speaker 1: Read Wilson. Always a pleasure, my friend.
Speaker 3: Thanks seat, good to see man.
Speaker 1: All right, I hope you enjoyed that conversation with read check out pluribus. I mean, you know, I just think if you want to truly understand how your life's being impacted, you got to pay more attention what's happening in the States because Congress is dropping the ball left and right. All right, let's do a little ass Chuck, ask Chuck. First question Josh from Baton rugelel go tagas. I love that. Give me a little go tigers with the eaux. Is there a real path for a Democrat to win the US Senate seed in Louisiana in twenty twenty six with multiple Republicans lining up to primary Bill Cassidy, who's still unpopular with many in the GOP for voting to impeach Trump. Could a bruising primary create an opening if John Bell Edwards runs and goes unchallenged in the Democratic primary, could enough Trump voter sit out or even back edwards tipping the race? Should Republicans be nervous? Thank you? So? In the old rules of how the elections worked in Louisiana, which wasn't that long ago, right, you know where there would be a runoff if no candidate got fifty regardless of party, in the top two would meet in a December runoff. One of the first I remember the first in twenty oh two mary Landrew ended up in a runoff and pulled out the runoff sort of. It was a surprise in twenty oh two, and it was a December race down there. It happened again. I believe in God. I want to say, you know, a they since you know part of the change in how they do they everybody used to be on the same ballot, even for federal elections. They I guess separated out federal elections. John Bell Edwards became governor because of the ability of having all those Republicans on the ballot. Then he finished in the top two, and it was somebody who was too far out of the mainstream on the right, and John Bell Edwards was able to win not one but two terms that way. Look, if a Democrat is going to win in Louisiana again, it's going to be John Bell Edwards. He'd probably be the only one. I would I would think it would have a chance, and it would have to be under a circumstance where it was somebody that was closer to that was probably further to the right than even the governor is further to the right than Scalise. I think you'd have to have a sort of a very sort of what I'd call it an undisciplined maga Republican because one of the things in Senate races, you know, is people really do vote their jersey color. That the more voters know now that these these are proxy votes for the Supreme Court, right, that who you support here, that you know what their vote for a Supreme Court justice is going to be, and you're just starting to see it, right, Larry Hogan couldn't win it. He was very popular in Maryland, a popular governor as a Republican, but he wasn't going to win a Senate seat, and it wasn't even that close. It was competitive ISHU for because he was a respected office a former office holder, but he wasn't going to win. And I kind of feel the same way about John Bell Edwards. In fact, I you know, I actually think he'd have an even money odds if he ran for governor. Again, I still think it's an uphill battle, not out of the question, and certainly I think Chuck Schumer and some other Democrats are trying to see if they can convince John Bell Edwards to go on the ballot. I know what I would do if I were him, if I really wanted to be a Senator, I wouldn't run as a Democrat. I'd run as an independent. And I just sort of say, look, I'm I probably you know type of thing. I probably will caucus with them, but I you know, I don't know if I'm you know, I'm going to be more independent on a lot of these issues. You know, Look, he couldn't get elected if he wasn't going to be in favor of the oil and gas industry. Right, Probably hard to be a member of the Democratic Caucus if you're going to do that. Look, how uncomfortable Joe Manchin was being somebody that was arguing four cole in a Democratic party that was shifting away on that issue in particular. So I'm more skeptical about a Democrat being able to win in a deep red state like that. I mean, look at Alabama.
Speaker 2: It it.
Speaker 1: Was a close race when Doug Jones won, and he was running against somebody who was an accused pedophile. Convicted, but he was accused, so and it was still quite close. So I think Jersey color is such a powerful force, such a powerful force in voting in senate races, not so much in governor's races. All right, next question, it comes from Alex Reck with two k's. I checked. Your conversation with Jose Antonio Vargus got me thinking again about media literacy. Most people don't really understand what journalism is, how sourcing works, what off the record means, or the ethics behind reporting, and that makes it easy for them to dismiss things as quote fake news. You said, journalists are also educators, so why don't more of them explain how how their work actually gets done. If trusted media needs to be rebuilt, shouldn't part of the back pulling back the curtain. Yes, I think. I hope you've noticed quite a few people on substack do this. In fact, even I've noticed the Washington Post does a better job than most news organizations explaining I a source decided to be anonymous. The Wall Street Journal is starting to do that, you know, explaining why they allowed anonymity with that source in order to speak freely or fear of retribution. I think that that's important, right if you see somebody decided to be anonymous due to fear of retribution. There's an interesting idea that the Washington Post announced today that they're going to let if on the record sources quotes. You know, if you've been quoted in a story and you think I think if you you know, if you don't think it was in context, they're giving you an opportunity to issue a correction it appears, or some form of that. I just think it's a you know, anything you can do to you know. Look, I always thought it was important to always correct a mistake because I think you gain more credibility if people know. Hey, when you make a mistake, you let people know you've made a mistake. On that front versus trying to minimize. I mean, I used to get into real fight.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: No, let's just call it a correction. No, it's a clarification, or somebody said, don't admit it was a mistake, and it would be lawyers would try to get involved. It's like they were afraid of and it would be to come on, let's just speak English. It's okay, you know. But I understood the concern because you do have Donald Trump is just filing, you know, absurd lawsuits, and copycat people file these absurd lawsuits. So you don't want to, you know, there's this feeling of don't give them anything, type of don't give him. You know, if you admit you made a mistake, my god, We're all human beings. You're gonna make mistakes, you know.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I've always been a believer that, you know. I was never a fan where newspapers used to put all their corrections on like the page A two. And if you remember in the old days of a newspaper, literally you'd go from there to the Nobody ever read A two because it was mostly the contents page. What else was going on? Maybe there would be a weather map and some newspapers there and like the corrections, we'd be down on the right hand corner. I am somebody who believes if you should correct them, correct the era error sort of with the same general audience size that saw the error. Right, So, if you make the mistake in your lead story on the NBA on a broadcast, make the correction on the lead story of the broadcast, maybe it's the next day or whatever it is, don't bury it at the end of that. So, look, I totally agree with the premise. I actually think a lot of journalists are trying to find more ways to be explanatory in how they do their reporting, and I think the more we do that, the better. Last question before I let you go, I know you know, I don't want to simmons it. I don't want to do a Bill Simmons and give you a two hour plus podcast. But if you want to our podcast, let me know after mom, Donnie was when in New York City could an outsider like Governor Andy Basheer, with his relentless focus on economic populism, be a model for candidates to bridge the divide between the establishment and progressives. Thanks Josh B. Well, look, I am very right now. If I were to buy stock in any potential twenty twenty eight er. He's somebody stock i'd be buying right now. In Basher, You're I'm going. I have now spoken recently with two people running for governor in swing states. One was Michigan, the other was Florida. These are Democrats, and I asked them, you know who's a governor you want to you know you're going to lean on for advice. The first name both of them, now remember where they're running. One out of Florida, one out of Michigan. First name out of their mouth, Andy Basheer. I think many, many of these sort of presidential hopefuls, you know, these governor candis who are trying to win in swing states or even in red leaning states or reddish states like Florida, look at and want to associate themselves more with Andy Basheer. The other governor you hear mentioned a lot would be a Joshapiro. What you're not hearing is Gavin Newsom. What you're not hearing is JB. Pritzker. You're not hearing you know that occasionally you'll hear a Wes Moore every now and then. But the red state governor that may run for president Bashir has a lot of early buzz from some of these, particularly from candidates who are trying to send the message to independent voters that they're not a base Democrat. So, but you're right, he is an economic populist, right, can he somehow be the the sort of a neutralized cultural issues right, Perhaps it's on guns, and you know, before when Roe v. Wade was Law of the land, any butser never could have gotten elected president because he was a self described pro life Democrat. Now when the story is not about whether abortion is legal, it's about simply getting access. Well, he's on the pro access side, and as long as you're on the pro access side, you're going to be considered a Democrat in good standing. So I think he's I think he's got a unique way to potentially diffuse some cultural issues, very similar to a governor from a state that's quite close to Kentucky. And in fact, the last time a Democrat carried the state of Kentucky there was a it was a gentleman named Bill Clinton was at the top of the ticket, and he, of course was at the time the sitting governor of Arkansas. So I'm you know, I think Bash's somebody out of buy stocking. I'd also buy stock in Wes Moore right now, I'd also buy stock in Alexandria Cossio Cortez. So I'm not sitting here saying which wing or which part of the party will end up ascendant, but I think all three of them right now feel like safer plays of people that put it this way, you know, I definitely think there'll be top three type of candidates going forward. All Right, I'm gonna I'm gonna pause the conversation there. I will got a couple of great episodes coming for you. I think I previewed one coming up in the state of Florida. I think you will enjoy that conversation. But with that, appreciate it, like subscribe, give me some good comments, leave some any questions you have, ask Chuck at dchucktodcast dot com, and until we upload again,