Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Killy Trend Murphy. It's not sweaty at all. It is what we're talking about. I'm Jack and that right there, well that is super producer backa rubber. Have we done that one before? Who knows? It's actually silly, silly trend Murphy. So, Killian Murphy, this photo was being sent around in our group chat of him standing next to a little bit behind Justin.
Speaker 2: Timberlake and Amanda cipher and next.
Speaker 1: To Amanda Siphery and looking very tiny, looking like a very short short man. There were a couple of moments in Oppenheimer when I was like, in that shot, he looks a lot smaller than I think they tend him to scene and that. So there's this photo of him from the end Time premiere, suggesting that my eyes were not playing tricks on me. Christopher Nolan was playing tricks on all of us and using some Lord yeah a.
Speaker 2: Few times in his movies.
Speaker 1: So the greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing us all that Killian Murphy is tall and lanky. It would appear that my internal image of Killian Murphy was based on some Lord of the Rings style force perspective shit, like you have you seen how they made Lord of the Rings, like behind the scenes pictures, like it would be like because they needed people to be all different heights, so they would actually have somebody like shoot someone with like a deep angle or deep focused lens and they'd actually be like twenty feet away, but like you wouldn't know it, and like that's how they were made to look as small as they were supposed to. I don't know how they were doing what they were doing to me. And you know, everybody who thought of Killy Murphy as like sort of a tall, lanky fellow, like lanky would be that was the phrase or the word that you used when we were because.
Speaker 2: He looks like Okay, so I have seen images of Murphy forever, it feels like because he was in what Peaky Blinders, and yeah, he was an inception and now this and I'm sure other I know horror movies in the past, like that one on the plane twenty eight days later. Yeah, he's always to me felt like Slenderman vibe, like really tall, really lanky, slender And seeing this image has tickled me to my core.
Speaker 1: Of the Dublin slender mans, yeah, because.
Speaker 2: He looks so tiny. But also, I know iconically I have a really bad gauge of height because I'm really tiny. I'm five to two, and everyone to me is tall. Interesting, Yeah, oh everyone's tall, like they're definitely six foot and Becca's and people are like, no, Becca, that person's five to seven, And I'm like, oh they you know, six foot to me, I bower heels, They're still gonna be taller than me.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I don't know that. This is always fascinating to me, and it's not from a perspective of any like shaming or anything like that. It is purely like a an exercise in movie magic. I'm never impressed when somebody who I have seen in one hundred different contexts turns out to just not be the shape that I thought they were. Absolutely so killy Murphy, I think, is maybe the biggest example of this that I would like My internal you know, seisometer for how tall he was was was way off.
Speaker 2: Well, we kind of went down a rabbit hall before we started recording on all these different charts that people had developed of men in Hollywood's heights, And I would argue I feel that way about all the men on these charts, like it's like I would have never I mean it's when you put them all together in a row, you're kind of like, of course, this makes sense to me now, But when you're in the movies and you're watching them, I would never think these men are this short. I feel like Hollywood always is like, no, everyone's six foot plus.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, everyone just is made to look like they are a little bit taller than six foot Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so.
Speaker 1: Jamie Fox is like, you know, five foot ten, and this is like listed height, you know, so that's it's not always going to be the truth. Yeah, but I would have never thought Jamie Fox was under six feet tall. Antonio Benderis is like five to nine. Sylvester Stallone famously, but that was one that kind of threw me for a loop. He's listed five to ten, but he's not five ten.
Speaker 2: Like they say. George Clooney is five ten on this list.
Speaker 1: Would never thunk, Yeah, George Clooney really reads as like a six two at least. Yeah, stallone or sorry, Kevin Hart is And this this one got me because I knew Kevin Hart was short, like he makes jokes about it, but he's two inches shorter than Joe Pesci, Like he's very he's five foot two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, we're the same high crazy.
Speaker 1: And then Danny DeVito is actually six foot six that is, believe it or not. Yeah, they know.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Anyways, hit us with your the ones that surprised you the most. Yeah, yeah, let's talk about everyone's favorite movie from this summer, The Sound of Freedom. The Sound of Freedom, Like, as I was doing research on the Sound of Freedom and like how bad it's fucking up people's ability to actually address trafficking like that. There are these articles that just give it the benefit of the doubt in like such a weird way, I guess, because they're like, well, it made money, so there must be it must be doing something right. But like there's this USA Today article where they say, like this guy is like credited with saving all these children, and then they like later point out that, like Vice Media contradicted that with their reporting. But it's just anyways, we've mentioned before that human and sex trafficking doesn't look like it does in movies like Taken for instance, Like it's not it's not just the Sound of Freedom. Taken, you know, uh also portrays a world in which like human trafficking is something that it could happen to any of us, you know, the wrong midwestern thirty something finds a zip tie on their car door handle and they're like whisked away and they wake up and they're on a yacht where like entertainment executives and Barack Obama are like bidding on like the right to own them. And the truth is like the exploitation and trafficking that actually happens and that actually like fuels that they're like really troubling stats about like how common it is and still in this world is not fueled by abduction. Data suggests that just three percent of victims of trafficking are actually the victim of abduction. Like there's economic ways and like familial like things that are done to put people in these situations where in order to survive they're like forced to you know, basically live in slavery. And so three percent, like a tiny, tiny portion of it looks like what these people think it all looks like. And there's this like weird statistical like wandering thing that is happening where they take these statistics about how common it is that are driven by inequality and racism and like racist immigration policies, and they ignore that part and then make it seem like this is a danger to you and your family. So I don't know, it's crazy. But there's an article Advice Today that was a couple days ago that was like, this is becoming a problem for organizations that actually work to help people who are the victims of trafficking, and like they talk about one group in North Carolina that like, at a recent meeting, a volunteer was just like, actually, what you're saying is a lie. Do your own research. I've like seen Sound of Freedom and I've seen Facebook, and therefore here's what it actually looks like. And it's becoming like a real issue. Like the chair at the United Nations Fund for Victims of Human Trafficking and Contemporary Forms of Slavery says the movie does not raise awareness. They say, it's not awareness. This movie is full of assumptions and it's a dangerous portrayal of what trafficking is. And so's it's a.
Speaker 2: Mess, big mess.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk TikTok. And we're back. And Becca, you are famously on TikTok.
Speaker 2: Famous famously very on TikTok not viral, but I'm chronically online and I wanted to bring attention to the Sandy Lang Bagoo drop. I feel like those who are fashion girlies, those who are Bagoo girlies, they were very upset about this drop. Not the collaboration, but the drop. I feel like the collaboration had a ton of hype. I personally was very, very excited about it. I did get a bag slay, but it went so poorly from a marketing standpoint and a logistics standpoint that I feel like it was notable to talk about a little bit. I think as the rise of this hype pieast culture has come to this I feel like capitalist culmination point where I feel like we're having a reckoning with like sustainability and resale culture and the economy because Bagoo in and of itself is recognized as this like sustainable brand, right it's all about reusable bags. Their price points, I would say, are pretty affordable. They do like travel bags, they do carry ons, they do like packing cubes, all in the name of like sustainability, Like these are things they're supposed to last at a pretty good price point. They partner with any Ling who is a very much popular new you know, I don't want to say new Nupe, but you know luxury designer here in New York who is Asian American. I feel like she's become kind of beloved and has this cult following. And so her drop sold out within minutes. It malfunction in the sense that they sold everything in the pre sale, so those who didn't get the pre sale texts didn't even get a chance to buy things in the regular sale. They're having a second drop because they fucked up so bad it was like a whole thing. And now all the people who got bags in the original drop are reselling them on deepop and other resale sites for like triple quadruple what these bags are, which I think is such a oxymoron of what the original purpose of the bag u sand a laying drop was was to make this expensive brand accessible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean this is very common sneakers too, and yeah, it just do you wonder if like sometimes, you know, we've talked before about how streaming services like will have of things like what when a big show is premiering, there will be like an outage and then that will become a story you really love.
Speaker 2: The mind that happened, Like they're trying to do the live stream on Netflix for the first time, it like went so poorly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an interesting question of like whether it's intentional or whether things are just broken and like it's just nobody on on the infrastructure side is like an incentivized to make it work, because then it's actually just like a marketing win for them. Yeah, exactly, all right, should we talk to baby names? So yes, take a look at baby names. This is from nameberry dot com, which we use one of our leading sources. We probably the most linked to sites that we have are the ap Reuters and then name Barry close behind. But these are supposedly the twenty most controversial baby names happen right now, And I just want to I just want to go through a couple of them because so Adonis is one that I don't know. It's it's the name of a character in Creed, right, it's the name of the character in Creed. But it feels like a good movie character name, great name for a god, for a mythological character. But man, what a it's a lot of pressure to put on a kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess because it says the name of a handsome young lover of Aphrodite in Greek myth, the name has become synonymous with masculine beauty and the way this Artokonker, the article kind of writes it is like they might not live up to that, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have Blair for some reason as being uh controversial, but uh, Dixie also caught my caught my eye.
Speaker 2: That makes sense to me a little as a or as a no no as on the controversial name.
Speaker 1: Yes, I just yeah, please don't name your child. It would be my advice. It's like, you know, Scarlet, Savannah, Clementine, Like you hear those types of names and you're like, Okay, I think I see what you're doing there. But Dixie's like a whole And again it's it's like, you know, Adonna's being just the most on the nose squarely, like whoa we're really going for it. Also, like Gunner is one that I have actually heard in the wild Like it seems like again a step up, like it's in the same family as Wilder or Maverick, uh, which are names that I've heard, But like Gunner feels like it's like whoa you have gun right there in the in the name cult I've heard, I've heard, yeah, and like that. I think it's accomplishing the same thing without putting a gunner there in the name. And then finally, just shout out to anyone who named their child Harvey, because they're pointing out that prior to twenty seventeen, it was like part of the you know, old timey name revival like that went along with you know old names like Howard and you know, stuff like that. But twenty seventeen not a good not a good year for people who.
Speaker 2: Know between Weinstein and hurricane Hurricane Harvey.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't know. And it's also not one that like has a easy nickname.
Speaker 2: No Harve, Harve, RV, come mere.
Speaker 1: Har just go RV on them. Anyways, those are some of the things that are trending on this Thursday, August tenth. We are back tomorrow with a whole episode of the show with Miles and with one Chris crofton. So get right hold on to your butts for that, folks. Becca. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 2: You can find me and follow me at bex b e CCS Ramos on all platforms, and I just want to shout out anyone who donated to missus Ortega's wishless. I really appreciate it. Y'all are the best for a second year in a row helping out my favorite English teacher. And I know Myles had said that we were on the TDZ Twitter retweeting any Lissa. Y'all send us for other teachers that are in need, So keep doing that, keep sharing in in the school year is coming up soon, so yeah, shout out to all the teachers. Yeah, and shout out to my mom for retiring this year.
Speaker 1: Hey, great, amazing. All right, that is going to do it for us this afternoon tomorrow. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow. Fight heye,