Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Home, everybody. This is a very special mini pod to us. We had a Summit of Black Leadership that was the culminating experience of the State of the People twenty four hour marathon. To find out more about State of the People, you can go to Stateofthepeople dot Media, but this last three hours is a special gift from us to you so you can hear what some of the brightest minds, best organizers, most brilliant lawyers, elected officials, young people, elders, and all across the spectrum have to say about where we go from here, answering Doctor King's most critical question.
Speaker 3: All right, now, as promised, we are going to turn to a powerful talent hall meeting, and I promise you what you are about to hear will be starkly different and what you have been hearing from the Trump.
Speaker 4: White House over these last few weeks. We are going to be joined by Angela Raie, co host of the Native Lamp podcast and we should say co creator along with Joy Read of this trailblazing marathon that we've all been putting on and there are many, many, many people that you will not see who've been up and working mighty long hours to keep this thing going. Also with Angela is Roywood Junior. We all know him as one of the most profound comedians and hosts of our time. I'll turn it over to them and I'll join them in a few minutes.
Speaker 1: Good evening, everyone, Thank you so much for watching this live stream. We are twenty one hours in and as we embark upon this twenty first hour, my co host that I Roywood.
Speaker 5: Junior, have a very very special guest.
Speaker 1: He happens to have made black history and history all of America as the first black governor of Maryland. His name is Wes Moore and he joins us right now.
Speaker 6: Good evening, Good sister, it's good to be with you. Angelaine.
Speaker 7: Thank you, We love you, and we are so thankful for you and your leadership and everything you continue to do. And everybody else, I just want to say, not just good evening, but but but thank you for continuing to watch over us, continue to love us, continue to believe that, and to continue to go.
Speaker 5: So can I tell you some hearing about about your.
Speaker 7: Time right now, uh in a place, in a space where this is truly a celebration of us, when we know the assault that so many of us and our communities are feeling, when so much of the pain that our communities are are are are inheriting right now. But I want to say that even at a time when we know the kind of pain that is being intentionally infused upon each.
Speaker 6: And every one of us from a federal government, even at a.
Speaker 7: Time when I know that I'm standing here as the governor of the state of Maryland, where we have over one hundred and sixty thousand federal employees in the state of Maryland who right now are being questioned about the value that they bring to our society. People who have been working for Democratic and Republican administrations before, who were politics has never entered into the equation simply a love of people, and are now being told that the work that they are doing to make sure that our grandparents are getting the health care that they need, at a time when you're people who are defending our country both domestically and overseas, At a time when we have people who every single day are ensuring that our communities are safe, that our parks are open, that our homeland is protected, who are now being told that they are adding to inefficiency within our society at a time when we know when we're watching proposals like cutting hundreds of billions of dollars of cuts to things like medicaid, at a time when we're watching basic freedoms.
Speaker 6: And securities that we relied on and.
Speaker 7: We believed in that are being challenged by people who have done nothing, nothing to sacrifice, so on behalf of this country themselves. I just want to say that I continue to be uplifted about the place in the space that I'm in right now that I'm speaking to you from Annapolis. I'm speaking to you from a place from the state of Maryland, that was literally the birthplace of Frederick Douglass, that was literally the birthplace of Harriet Tubman, that was the birthplace of Thurgood Marshall.
Speaker 6: About the place in the space and I'm.
Speaker 7: Standing here and coming here from Maryland, a place that is a northernmost southern state, a place that had the bloodiest battles of the Civil War, a place where the Mason Dixon Line literally runs through my state. And I'm standing here to say that we are all descendants of survivors.
Speaker 6: We're all descendants of.
Speaker 7: Those who came before us and saw the pain and saw the brutality that our society can intentionally flint flicks upon us. And they got up every morning and they said, still I rise, Still I fight, Still I conquer, and still I win. We are now just the most recent, the most recent iteration of this journey. We do come from the blood of Tubman. We do come from the blood of Douglas. We do come from the blood of Shabaz, we do come from the blood of Marshall. And just like them, still I rise. And so even in the times when it can feel darkest, hold on to that light, hold on to each other, and know that in this time, when we stand strong, and yes, when we mobilize, that there is no weapon that has flowed against us that shall prosper. We have been told, it is written, and yes, that joy will come inside the morning. And so I'm blessed to be with each and every one of you. Thank you to Angela and to d and to and to Roy and to everybody.
Speaker 6: Who may tonight happen.
Speaker 7: This, this was the fulfillment that we all needed tonight. This is the entertainment that we all needed tonight. This is the joy that we all need to feel to night. And I'm here to say I will rock with you tonight and tomorrow and always.
Speaker 6: We love you, and God bless you and thank you.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much, Governor Wes Moore.
Speaker 8: We are time for one question? Or does he have to bounce?
Speaker 6: I always got time.
Speaker 8: One question. I'm not gonna ask you about the samurai, so order on the wall the background. I know we don't have time for that, Governor more.
Speaker 6: You can ask about that one.
Speaker 9: No, no, that's that's getting ready to get used.
Speaker 8: You flipped, you flipped the Republican governor gibnatorial seed to democratic as a can. What was one thing that you were able to do to help connect with Republican voters As I feel a little deeper into this administration, as we get deeper into the first one hundred days, I feel that some Republican voters are going to be a little more pliable coming up on midterms. Is there any one blanket thing or one piece of advice that you could give people as we start engaging Republican voters kind of see what's going on. It seemed like some from the look at these town hall some they starting to see what's happening.
Speaker 6: No, they are, they are.
Speaker 7: And you know, essent Sion Roy because I ended up winning with more individual votes than anyone who'd ever run for governor in the history of the state of Maryland. And the reason I bring that up is because just mathematically, you don't get that by just winning Democrats. We want democrats, we won independence. We want a good chunk of Republicans. And I think the big thing was we had to show up and we had to be able to make our case to him. And I really do believe that that one thing that we have seen is that you've seen now Trump be master something. It's it's this idea of telling people to be afraid of it and then telling people who's to blame for it, Right, that is the strategy.
Speaker 6: That's the whole game. And it's rinse and repeat. It's rinse and repeat.
Speaker 7: It's either saying that the reason that my my my daughter is not winning a state championship is because they're allowing boys to play, the reason that my child is not getting into college is because of affirmative action, the reason that that that that my my son lost their lost their job is because of DEI the reason, and it's let's say it's a rinse and repeat model. But here's the thing that I have found out that if you are willing to go everywhere, and you're willing to make your case, and you are willing to show up, that you will be able to not just energize a base, you're actually going to be able to enlarge it.
Speaker 6: You're actually be able to bring more people on board.
Speaker 7: And then you just have to go out there and show that you know how to deliver results.
Speaker 6: And I think that's the reason that I.
Speaker 7: Think we've been able to We've been able to not just get done, we'll be able to get done in the state of Maryland. But I think we've been able to keep keep the vast majority of people on our side on it. But I think you've got to be able to show up, and you've got to make the case, and do not let someone else define yourself.
Speaker 6: You go to find yourself, but let no one. Do not give anyone else that power to go to find you.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, I love it, Governor Wes Moore.
Speaker 1: We are so grateful for your service, for your time, and for your fight and what we know is a very very difficult time.
Speaker 5: Not just for our people, but are all people.
Speaker 1: And that is why we are twenty one hours into this marathon and we will continue to go.
Speaker 5: We are not watching the lies on.
Speaker 1: The state of the Union, but we will bring people into the knowledge of the truth here. So we wish you well. We thank you so much for making time for us tonight, and we will see.
Speaker 6: You so God bless themily.
Speaker 5: Thanks blessing you.
Speaker 1: So Roy, I want to do something a little different real quick. We have someone who is a.
Speaker 5: Queen and a sister to us.
Speaker 1: She said recently at Essence Black Women in Hollywood. She said, I recently went through a little breakup. You may have heard about it. So I want to bring Joy read up really quick because she is Her name isn't just Joy. She is joy. She is walking joy, She illuminates joy, she loses joy, and she has been such a tremendous treat for so many of us for so long. Joy, you join us tonight in this in this time to talk about the state of the people. We've been on this marathon. We started together, and we in it together. We started writing a lot of now here, and I just want you to talk about from your own journey from where you are right now. You're also embarking on a new road in multiple ways, yes, in this country, but also a media Where do we go from here?
Speaker 5: Joy read Well.
Speaker 10: First of all, it was so much fun to go on this journey with you, Angela.
Speaker 11: Raie, my good sister. We started right We started at midnight.
Speaker 10: Then I think I was up to like three four in the morning, fell asleep with the right next to the.
Speaker 11: Bed, woke up to the beginning of the town hall.
Speaker 10: So I don't know what I missed, but I feel like it was in my spirit through my sleep. So this has been incredible, Like this has actually been one of the most engaging. You know, it just just soul feeding twenty four hours that anyone could have had. I think our community is just you know, our hearts are beating a little bit faster knowing that we have this community.
Speaker 11: And Roy, my brother, Listen.
Speaker 10: I just recently saw you in Utah, so I know you have big things coming up. I'm excited about everything that you're doing. So and we'll just leave that well, you know, I know you have a great project coming up, and you know I love you.
Speaker 11: So this has been amazing.
Speaker 10: I just want to thank everyone who has been a part of this pulling it together. This has been a dream team group team effort. It's been incredible. So I'm going to answer that question for you, and I'm gonna answer it briefly because i know it's about brevity on tonight, and I just want to say for all of us, because we got like fifty people that want to come in and talk. So I'm going to be very quick and I'm going to actually quote the Reverend doctor Martin Luther King Junior, who in nineteen sixty seven answered the very question that Angela has put to all of us for this incredible town hall, and the question is where do we go from here?
Speaker 11: So in nineteen sixty seven, this is what he said.
Speaker 10: Is that is that I want to say that as I moved to my conclusion, as we talk about where do we go from here, that we must honestly face the fact that the movement must address itself to the question of restructuring the whole of American society.
Speaker 11: There are forty million poor people here, and one.
Speaker 10: Day we must ask the question, why are there forty million poor people in America? When you ask that question, you begin to question the capitalistic economy. And I'm simply saying that more and more, we've got to begin to ask questions about the whole society. And he says, when I'm questioning the whole society, it means ultimately coming to see that the problem of racism, the problem of economic exploitation, and the problem of war are all tied together. These are the triple evils, evils that are interrelated. In other words, your whole structure must be changed. A nation that will keep people in slavery for two hundred and forty four years will thingify them and make them things, and therefore they will exploit them and poor people generally economically. What I'm saying today is we must go from this convention and say, America, you must be born again. And so as we all watch Donald Trump and Elon Musk really dismantle our democracy, dismantle our society, I think that we understand that there is going to be rubble in the road. And the question is not how do we build back what we had before. It's not about building back the previous status quo, which was obviously so dissatisfying and unsatisfying to people. That people chose chaos. So I think where we go from here is starting to think about what we build from that rubble. What does the society we want look like? And I think the charge for Democrats for independence, even for Republicans who are sick of this and seeing it and losing their medicaid and wondering, start to communicate what that society should look like. What does this new society we want to build look like? Because going back to what we had before, that ain't it. That is not a message that can sell, that will get people to vote, that will move people.
Speaker 11: We need a movement.
Speaker 10: This I think tonight or this last twenty four hours is the beginning of a movement. So I think that we because you know, black people have always been the ones to be the conscience of this country, Let's start thinking about what that movement looks like and what that society we want looks like, and start communicating that it's not about going back to where we were, It's about bringing the country to a new place.
Speaker 11: Start thinking about what that place looks like.
Speaker 10: And that's what Democrats, independence and anybody with good sense should be talking about.
Speaker 8: Joyce that briefly, I feel like January for black people was like, all right, this is what it is. All right, it almost fit it. Halftime isn't the right word, but I feel like we all collectively took a moment as a culture to go ugh. And you know, I know black ways was going don't call us, don't tell us, don't check in on us, We are not going to help you. Where I feel like now, especially now, like today specifically, there feels like there's a reinvigoration. It feels like there's a all right, we gotta get our helmet. We got to go back out there on the field and get ready to fight again. What have been some of your strategies just in terms of just mental rest and how are you able to What advice would you give to people, is they get ready to fight agains, they get ready to get back out there. What has been your self care? And I'm not even talking just most recently with everything that happened, but just the duration of the election last year, you have to get up every single day and deal with this and put this in the words for people. What were your strategies for just mental survival during this time?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, well, first of all, everyone cannot have Angela Rye's cell phone number, because one of the strategies is to.
Speaker 11: Call phone a friend.
Speaker 10: And I have to say I have some of the the greatest friends, not just the Machetes, Angie and the other Machetes, but my best friend, Miss Kim.
Speaker 11: It's miss Jackie that you know we do read this, read that together.
Speaker 10: But she also is like a counselor on the side for my wellness. And I think that the reality is and and of course my husband best my best bestI is my husband Jason. I really think you have to lean into the relationships the people around you, your friends, your family, because unless you're grounded in those personal relationships, you're not gonna stay sane in this mess. And look, we as the ninety two percenters, we were sitting on that wall and that graphic watching everything burn. But the fire has caught the building we were sitting on, and so as black people and our eighty percenters, our brothers that weren't that rocked with us in this election. We did not choose this, We did not cause this, but this fire is burning us up too. So the reality is we actually just now have to engage. We may have wanted to sit it out. But as you all know on this on this town hall, we don't have a choice now because this fire is consuming our house. So I think what we have to do, and I love the fact that we leaned into what the blackemunity is going to do to save ourselves, save our community, save the resources we fought for, save the positions we fought for.
Speaker 11: Because we have to put.
Speaker 10: The mask on ourselves before we can put the mask on the country. So I think unless we're strong as a community, cohesive, and unless we have a plan, we can't even really try.
Speaker 11: To save this country.
Speaker 10: We tried to do that for almost five hundred years, and they're parts of the country that don't want to be saved. They want this fascism, they want to go in this direction. So I think, what we have to do as a community, Let's put the mask on ourselves. Let's get cohesive, Let's describe the nation we want, the society we want, and then we can form a plan. And part of that is a communications plan. How are we speaking with authority to our community? Who are our trusted voices? No one can choose that for us. Who do we trust? Where can we find them? How can we get access to what they have to say, and then how can we take what we hear and form a plan. Once that mask is on us, then we can start to plan for everybody else.
Speaker 5: Well, that's exactly right, Thank you so much. I want to bring in we have a big Black family gathering, y'all. I want y'all to see this. We have a full swath of experts, organizers, activists, attorneys who are here with us, and I really want you all to see how large of a gathering we have.
Speaker 1: And it's going to continue to grow over the next few hours. I'm trying to make sure we get the visual where y'all can see the pictures of everybody in here. Right now, it just looks like me and Roy, but hopefully soon our production can figure out how to get the squares of everybody up. While we're doing that, though, I do want to take a moment Roy to recognize Congressman Glenn Ivy, who is joining us.
Speaker 5: Clearly he is sitting with us and not in the.
Speaker 1: House chamber, so I want to ask him why, like you chose clearly to sit out, Congressman, and I'd love for the listeners to know why this has been a hot topic Roy. I don't know if you and your chat groups look like mine, but people have been like wow, wow, So Congressman, I would love for you, especially because you're an attorney, so you know this man has broken mania law. Please tell us why you chose to sit out the State of the Union today.
Speaker 12: Well, I appreciate you having me on, Angela Roy, and I appreciate what you're doing here. Thank you for pulling this together, and I thank you for hosting me because you know, I really didn't want to go, and I wanted to do something that I thought was going to be positive and supportive instead of going to the State of the Union, and you offered this opportunity to do it. I know I've got colleagues in there, a lot of the Black Calkings, a lot of House Democrats went, you know, God bless them. I think it's it's fine, you know, depending on what room they're in, as long as.
Speaker 13: We're all saying the same things.
Speaker 12: And I think we're all recognizing the need for a change to move forward. And I do feel like the tides turning for us. You know, we've he had a lot of good success with these court cases, have been about one hundred filed. You know, the legal teams that were put together by the unions and advocacy groups gotten a lot of injunctions put in place, probably around thirty and they've won almost all of those. And I think politically too, you know, his numbers are starting to drop.
Speaker 13: People are starting to.
Speaker 12: Realize that, you know, this was an okie dokee, this was snake oil. He said he was going to try and help regular folks out economically, but he's really just trying to help out Elon and the billionaire buddies.
Speaker 13: And and you know, I think.
Speaker 12: It's important to see too, with the tariffs, I mean, because that's clearly not aimed at helping regular people. There's no way he can spend that. I don't know what he's going to say tonight, but you know that's just taking money out of people's pockets as a sales tax. So you know, I didn't want to be part of being in there, you know, I wanted to be out here, And once I heard that you all were doing this, I knew I'd rather be here working with you all, in this community, with this strong team, with the you know, like Joyce said, people moving in the right direction, moving together and I wanted to be part of this instead.
Speaker 8: I'm not sure, Congressman. Can you hear Angela, I'm not hearing her.
Speaker 1: I told you to know why because I put it on mute, moving this notepad and forgot.
Speaker 5: That is not helpful. I was trying to test how well you could read my lips.
Speaker 8: I'm ready here, I'm ready to jump in. Just say the.
Speaker 14: Word bail me out, man.
Speaker 13: I thought it was my I thought my laptop had gone south or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, or hearing was going out something. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say the question, the call of the question of the day really is where do we go from here? So, given the amount of pressure that I know a lot of our members are facing, your colleagues on the other side of the aisle have been protested so severely in town hall meetings that they were like, you know what, hell with those town halls. We're just gonna go forth and do something else. Where do we go from here? Do we continue in the fight? Do we become more united? What is what is your plan? What do you suggest that we do?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I think all of that's right. I think we need to keep the rusher up. In fact, keep increasing it yeah, there were. There was sort of a you know, a lull after Trump won. You know, I remember when he won the first time and we had thousands of people come out and march in the streets, and there was a lot of anger and everything. This time around, I think we were all in disbelief, like how could this country have a life?
Speaker 14: Ristman heive, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't want to cut you off, but I want to note right now I'm not watching the State of the Union, but reports are coming out the Congressman al Green has been carried out of the House chamber.
Speaker 2: So I think he wasn't care carried out. He walked out of his own will.
Speaker 5: So we said he got carried out.
Speaker 2: They well, it looked like they were going to score it out. Yeah yeah, they no. Well that's why I put in chat. It appeared they were going to arrest him, but he decided to leave his own free will with Vincent and I just below the chamber. But he stopped the speech. Al Green stood up as the one Democrat and stopped the speech. So he's coming out, and we're going to go try to see we can get him now and bring him down here there so we may see him in a minute that was on it.
Speaker 6: So, well, this is what the fire looks like.
Speaker 14: He cut in.
Speaker 8: Let me take you effects right now. I'm wearing a suit and I'm in the building. I'll report back in a second. That's all right.
Speaker 13: This is what democracy looks like.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I got a note saying I got escorted out.
Speaker 12: But that's how you know, he's I think he might already file articles of impeachment against Trump, So you know that's his approach, and I you know, God bless him. The key is that we're all working together on the same team, trying to accomplish the same goal because we recognize how destructive Trump has.
Speaker 13: Been just in it's like fifty days, and he's you know, he's.
Speaker 12: Put the jackhammer to like everything across the board, especially things affecting the African American community, you know, like you know, the title ie stuff. He was trying to cut funds for schools, Medicare the Republicans like a one almost a one trillion dollar cut, and that's taking healthcare away from folks, uh and Obamacare too, African Americans. But also so you know, low income folks in those red and rural states.
Speaker 13: Are going to be hit by that as well.
Speaker 12: And so you know, we've always led the charge as African Americans for the fight for equality the injustice in this country.
Speaker 1: Need the same things. Has it changed much from the data that you all pulled. I know, over two hundred and fifty thousand Black people eventually filled out that survey. It's the largest in United States history. But I think we still got a road to go. We got a lot more black people than who filled out the Black Census.
Speaker 5: When you look at.
Speaker 1: The data then and where we are now, where do we go from here? Just when you look at that.
Speaker 16: Data, Yeah, we survey two hundred and eleven thousand people and we're going to do it again in twenty twenty six. We're gonna survey three hundred thousand black people. But what they overwhelmingly said is that we need an economy that works for us and specifically wanted expansion of medicaid, wanted help for childcare, wanted wages that.
Speaker 17: Have our dignity in mind.
Speaker 18: And now this last fifty days mean has meant that we need that even more then we even needed it a year ago. And I think we're going to see that with this budget that just proposal that came through that's going to slash medicaid, and so for us, it's about getting into community. We believe that the antidote to fascism is building community and to be in community all year round so that more and more people share what they want and we can get to what Joy said, that imagination about where we want to go as a people, what we want to win, and build a strategy to get there.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 1: Areva Martin and the Mario Solomon Simmons are here, and I want to go to you all because one of the places that we've seen people lean in Roy, You've seen this too, are around a legal strategy with this president. Most of what has taken place to stop executive action, where there have been more than one hundred and nineteen executive actions taken so far, over ninety five lawsuits filed against this administration. You all have also worked to take justice in your into your own hands, not challenging Donald Trump, but challenging the white supremacist system that bert Donald Trump in the form of reparations. I'm thinking of the cases that both of you all have. Areva, I want to come to you first and then to Mario. You because we are still fighting for justice for the survivors of Black Wall Street, but Areva. I want to come to you first around. Some of you had a Palm Springs, You've Bruce's Beach. There's so much work that you've done in this space, and there are so many cases like this that black folks haven't had the pr or the attention around to really see justice. So we also have some roads to plow there, and I think it's important that we know that we are fighting on every side, but there is still hope.
Speaker 19: Thanks so much, Angela, Thanks Joy, Thanks everyone they pull this together. I'm still sleepy from my one am part of the twenty four hour marathon, but it was so incredible to be a part of the marathon over the last twenty plus hours.
Speaker 8: Folks who were up who were.
Speaker 19: Watching, just such a phenomenal job done by the entire team. So kudos to everyone working behind the scenes and all the folks who were up all night watching. But you're right, De Mario and I have been involved in some of the biggest reparations cases in the country, and when Joy talks about reimagining really what this country should be and not going back to where we were reparation should be on the top of the list of things that black folks should be thinking about. For so many years, so many decades, we were told it was impossible. We were told it was a French theory, it was.
Speaker 6: A French concept.
Speaker 19: And how dare we have the audacity to expect or to believe that this country would make amends? Would you know, acknowledge the sins against black folks and then do something about it in the same way that they have done for so many other people. Cornell Brooks at Harvard Kennedy School wrote a brilliant piece a couple of months ago about all the ways that this country pays reparations on the regular, on the daily, to so many different groups of people. But yet when it comes to black folks, the concept of reparations, the concept of giving us what we are justly entitled to, people.
Speaker 6: Get all nervous about it.
Speaker 19: They start clutching their pearls, and so many ways reveal their racism about you know, myths about black folks were not responsible with money. You know, we hear folks say, well, we didn't do it. Why should we have to pay for the sins of our fathers? We hear these repeated excuses folks not acknowledging the benefits, the benefits that they reap in this country every day from the uncompensated wages and labor force labor of enslaved people. So yes, Angela, there is a movement around this country. Reparations committees have been started at the state level, at the local level, people are organized, people are mobilized, people are enthus they are this is the moment, and I just hope that at the national level, my good friend Glynn, Congress Congress Member IVY is on this call. I hope that Congress has the courage to do what some local administrative bodies have had the courage to do. But if anyone is feeling like reparations is out of reach, I'm just here to encourage you. Reparations is very much in reach, is very much available. It's very much something that we should all be united around and as we reimagine what this country should look like going forward, please please, please please remember the debt old to the descendants of enslaved people. And I'm just proud to be in this fight in Palm Springs and Saint Louis and communities all over this country.
Speaker 5: Thank you Vi de Mario.
Speaker 1: I want to come to you, particularly around what we can be doing to ensure that we keep what's happened in mind, that we continue to fight for justice and the other ideas around Blackwall Street.
Speaker 5: It's very existent.
Speaker 1: So even if they did decimate Blackwall Street, the ideas that we can hold on to despite its destruction, and we should never forget it.
Speaker 5: But how do we hold on to the fabric of what Blackwall Street was? And you're on mute D I did that too, don't worry.
Speaker 20: Well, thank you for having me here, and just excited by everything that everyone is saying about pulling this together. You know, I represent the last two living survivors of the Tulsa Race massacre of one hundred and ten year old mother Viola Ford Fletcher one hundred and ten year old mother Lessie Benefield Randall, and in my over twenty five years of working on trying to get justice and reparations for Greenwood, I spent more more probably more time than most people can imagine, with people that are over ninety five years old and several people over one hundred and so what I want to tell people today is we continue to fight for justice for those two women. Is I want you to all right now think Greenwood. Want you to think Greenwood now, because think Greenwood is what would get us to where we want to be. Think about that Greenwood was created this black mecca. Well over twelve thousand black people came together, created all types of businesses, over two hundred successful businesses, over fifteen hundred and fifty homes in businesses before the nineteen twenty one Tulsa Race massacre. And they did that during the ny Deer. They did that during a time that's much like the time we're living in here and under this MAGA two point zero moment. And there was five founding principles of think Greenwood. Number one was community love, Number two was self determination, Number three was ownership, Number four was wealth and education concentration, and number five was resilient. These are the founding principles of Greenwood, and this is what we need to emulate today and make sure we understand that Greenwood and Black Wall Street here.
Speaker 21: In Tulsa was more than a physical location.
Speaker 20: It was a mind state. And so what I'm asking everyone to do on this call and for everyone that's listening to go to think Greenwood now, Dot com. Thinkgreenwood now dot com and sign the pledge that you will live by these five core principles. And then this is more. This is more than just talking about action. This is about a plan to move forward. That's Thinkgreenwood now dot com and you can connect with us and connect with these survivors who are still fighting for justice and reparations, not just for themselves, not just for their community, but for the entire Black community. They're standing strong, you know, andrela.
Speaker 2: You know this.
Speaker 20: They have been at every court hearing. They've been back and forth to DC. You talked about Representative Green. Representative Green has come up tuss and.
Speaker 21: Stood with us.
Speaker 20: He is going to put forth leg on behalf of reparations because of the reaper. My good friends stated. Reparations is necessary for the structural changes we need. Listen, the racial wealth gap. It's worse than it was in nineteen sixty eight. And so as we talk about everything else besides you know, d I and anti woke and all these things, if we don't have structural changes, as Joy talked about, we will never get the racial wealth gap to be shrunk. And that requires reparations. But we start that by thinking Greenwood go to Thinkgreenwood now dot com, sign the pledge, and let's get to work.
Speaker 5: I love that so much to Mario Roy.
Speaker 1: I was watching you when Mario was talking about going to think Greenwood dot com, and I didn't see you take a note.
Speaker 5: You've been standing right into that light.
Speaker 8: You just see me look down real quick.
Speaker 5: Greenwood now a lean Greenwood now dot com.
Speaker 20: Than Greenwood now dot com.
Speaker 8: See Roy, how you di it myself so that you wouldn't hear a click clack on the keyboard.
Speaker 5: Okay, I was.
Speaker 8: Down here, but you know my mama talked keyboarding that Miles College. Shut out the Miles cause I.
Speaker 14: Was looking up.
Speaker 1: Well, we need to go to take this pledge. So the Mario you said, there's five principles.
Speaker 20: Yeah, five principles community love that built Greenwood. You know, one of the things about the community love, it's about making sure that we are standing together, we're doing everything to make sure that we can all be successful, but also making sure we understand this we not the eye. And that's what built Greenwood. Self determination. You understand that Greenwood was built during a time where more lynchings were going on, open white supremacy, white segregation, but people went to Greenwood to be free to build and have a life as they will call it, to be a person ownership. People wanted to own their businesses, own their property, own their communities, and have ownership of themselves. And we've seen over the last decades upon decades, regardless of anything, we're going to have to take ownership for ourselves. As we continue to fight for better policy and then wealth and education concentration, we have to focus on building wealth and becoming better educated about what it takes to build generational wealth. I know we all just saw the tragic news of Antie Stone that was killed in a car accident just a few days ago. You know, when things like that happened, one of the things I think about is I hope she had her estate plan in place. I hope she had a life insurance in place. I hope she had a discussion with her family. What's going to happen to her royalties and our intellectual property. These are things that we have to start thinking about today. The fire is out in Alta Dina, the same thing. These things can happen, so we have to think about our wealth and economic education concentration and that fifthy the resilience and that's what we're showing tonight. We're showing despite open whites. This is a dangerous time. There will be some dark days, but we must be resilient and if nothing else, think Greenwood now and we can get through this theme.
Speaker 5: I want to go to.
Speaker 1: April Varrett, who has made tremendous history talking about resilience, and we know that many of our Labor Union brothers and sisters and family members are deeply resilient. Y'all have been on the front lines of some of these lawsuits.
Speaker 5: Labor Union is writ large.
Speaker 1: When you think about the inherent connection to that question, April, where do we go from here? Is something that doctor King asked all of us, and of course he had a tremendous strategic partnership with Labor. Where do you think we go from here now in twenty twenty five given the tremendous setbacks that we are all collectively experiencing.
Speaker 22: So thanks for thanks Angela and everyone. Incredible, incredible show of resilience and spirit and how much we can center the squabble up enjoy and in love and in community. And to the question of where do we go from here? I'm so glad Joy invoked the spirit of doctor King because it is the very same things he called for. That is unfinished business. That is the north star I believe for where we go from here. We have to, I believe, join forces and build enough power to end poverty and systemic and structural racism forever. And if we center those who are suffering, continuing to suffer from economic exploitation, it's us right. It's our other sisters and brothers, and people of color, it's women, it's immigrants right. When we center ourselves and when we build enough power for ourselves to dismantle the systems of poverty and racism in this country, I.
Speaker 15: Think we can begin to get stuff done.
Speaker 22: And I think that we have to stage, as folks have been saying, a fight. I don't get the Donald Trump phenomenon, but I've been thinking a lot about it. What attracts folks to that type of leadership, and I believe Americans are people who want to feel protected and defended, and for good or for bad. He is showing that I'm gonna protect, I'm gonna defend, and so we have to have that same energy in this moment. We got to show that we are gonna protect and we are gonna defend what we care about.
Speaker 15: Right.
Speaker 22: That vision that Joy talked about, I think is so important. And how are we not abandoning what we know we need in our communities.
Speaker 15: I don't give a damn.
Speaker 22: We should be out there talking every day about when they're gonna raise a minimum wage. You care so much about working people. When you're gonna vote on raising a minimum wage. You care so much about working people, When are you gonna put policies in place that stop price gouging and unnecessary fees that rob the pool? You care so much about working people, when are you going to invest more in our community?
Speaker 6: So the very things that we need.
Speaker 22: Now is the time to stand up the fight for them, unapologetically. And the last thing I'll say, Angela is I have come to believe that we are in the civil society because we want to fix things right. We want to be fixers. We want to put bomb on we want to throw water on fires. Now is the time to throw fuel on the fire. Now is the time to blow up the spot right.
Speaker 15: It is not a time to shrink, It is not a time to be small.
Speaker 14: We have to.
Speaker 22: Blow up their spot in the way that they are trying to blow up ours, and I think we got to do that in a focused and a prioritized way. We got to pick our battles for folks. We cannot get sucked into every single squirmish.
Speaker 15: They want to suck us into.
Speaker 6: We will exhaust ourselves.
Speaker 14: But by Memorial Day.
Speaker 22: So let's focus and let's and let's fight like hell.
Speaker 1: So while we were talking, it's also been dropped in the chat that Congress members Frost, Crockett, and Presley have also walked out of this joint Address of Congress for Donald Trump. So this is an opportunity. I feel like we got to bring in some of the youngest. So I want to go to zi uh Zi Brian. I want to come to you because it is so important to have young voices on here. You all are not just our future, you are present. I want to know if the actions taken by members of Congress who are walking out in this moment resonate with you, with them some of your peers. I'm not gonna do you like white folks, goes and be like, tell me what do black people think.
Speaker 5: It's not gonna be one of those. But I am curious to know yes, one of the youths.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, Like, do you feel like, do you feel seen by that active protest? What would you have expected from members of Congress tonight? Well, thank you for having me first. Secondly, young people, as you said, are not just the.
Speaker 23: Future, we are the current moment.
Speaker 24: I'm encouraged by seeing them walk out because so often young black people are told we have to conform, we have to be like everyone else, We have to, you know, just make our way to the top, and we can't be outspoken, we can't say our true thoughts, and we can't really stand up in the ways that we want to. So I'm happy to see the people who have made it into those positions walking out and being very clear on where they stand and not leaving any room for any bad interpretations of what they may think or believe. But I mean, I think one of the reasons why I'm even running for office. I just launched my campaign for school board in Charlottesville, and the reason why I'm running for office at twenty four is because I believe that we are ready to lead. And I don't want people to use age as a proxy for experience, because I think that young people bring a lot to the table. We bring a lot of unique perspectives. We bring a lot of thoughts and ideas and innovative ways at going at things that are that we're facing in the current moment, all of the challenges that we're seeing. So I think that if young people are able to be supported, we all do well. But additionally, we need intergenerational base building, and so it will require young people to respect, you know, the past, the elders, the work that they have done, in the foundation that they've laid in order to inform the work that we hope to do in the future.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much, Zi, it's on my heart to go to this lovely young woman.
Speaker 25: Uh.
Speaker 5: Congresswoman Marsha Budge.
Speaker 1: Is how I met her, but most recently she was the Secretary of Housing in Urban Development, where actual change did happen during that administration and under her watch. She also is the former president of Delta Sigma Theta, and she is such a gem. I have to ask you, congress women, because I know I see I'm still saying, congressman is Madam Secretary.
Speaker 5: When you watch your colleagues.
Speaker 1: Tonight as they sit in this in the House chamber, I want to know if you put yourself back in their shoes, what you would have done, and any advice you have for them going forward about how they deal with someone who is actively working to destroy democracy.
Speaker 6: First, let me say I'm very proud of them.
Speaker 26: The one thing that I always believed when I was a member of Congress is that there were enough of us that we did not have to ask for permission. We sit back too often and want to find out what's the group want to do, how do we all want to work together. Sometimes we just need to stand up, and this is one of those times. I think that the Caucus in particular needs to stand with all its might, because when you are sixty members of Congress, you are strong, and I think we have to use the power that we have. So I'm very very proud of them. I probably would not have gone, but I mean, but those who did go, I am glad. I really feel so good about them standing up and letting people know what they think. Because the more we stay silent, the more we are ignored. And so I'm really really happy about what I'm hearing.
Speaker 1: I love I want to go to the nation's oldest civil rights organization. The president is our good brother, Derek Johnson, I have to ask you, what is the NAACP telling us to do going forward? How are you all going to help us march forward, keep pressing on, keep pressing, keep hope alive, and also keep the pressure on this administration that doesn't seem to be accountable to any one of us, is only yielding to entities.
Speaker 5: That have money to buy.
Speaker 1: It feels like this administration is for sale. I'm not trying to put you in a partisan question, so I will just say as a as a general matter, we know that there's it seems to be that white supremacy is really the land here, and it seems like people who are poor and don't have something to offer them are putting harm's way.
Speaker 5: And we're seeing that.
Speaker 1: With the federal freezes, we're seeing that with the funding cuts, We're seeing that with the proposed budget across the board, we are seeing that. How is the NAACP recommending that black folks watching at home fight back?
Speaker 27: Great question, and thank you all for organizing this. You know, the last forty three days was the distraction. The real fight starts on March fourteenth with the continued resolution budget. This is about the money, many folks outside of our community. They're going to begin to feel the pain. They want to do away with such security. Let's be very clear, they want to do away with medicaid and medicare. They want to redefine the role of government. And so as we have been consumed with DEI and all the things that are out there, the crown jewel of all of this was to get their base motivated, get us distracted, so they can drive a MA truck through the budget and read the find everything privatized services. So leading up to March fourteenth, we need to be telling members of Congress who we put in office, don't cut a deal with our guarantees. Don't be worried about shutting down the government when we know if they get a clean cr through September, no matter what they say, Trump is going to disavow all the money that they appropriate. So between now and March fourteenth, we need to talk to all the Democratic leadership. Don't cut a deal unless you have a guarantee in legislation that the money will be spent as necessary. Now, when we get to the new budget, that's the real fight. Everything else has been a distraction for NACP. Recognizing for black folks recognizing.
Speaker 21: Race is a tool.
Speaker 27: Money is the game, and we have to figure out how not to get distracted with racialized questions when at the end of the day, they are trying to redefine the role.
Speaker 2: Special elections are coming up.
Speaker 27: We have to play in those elections, but unfortunately we will feel some pain. But white folks gonna feel some pain too, because if they cut Medicaid, there's a lot of folks gonna leave nursing homes because they're depending on Medicaid. If they cut snaps, the biggest benefactors are snapped is the walmarks of the world and all of the farmers. They have already felt the pain where USA being cut. Those farmers in Mississippi, Cindy hog Smith, the senator here where I live, are all already telling farmers who she's trying to get an exceptions from Trump on USA USAA because they're losing money. So the focus now forward is about how all these programs are about to be cut and white folks are beginning to feel going to feel the pain, and we need to tell CBC members who want to capitulate thinking this is this is business as usual. Democratic members who want to capitulate think they can cut a deal.
Speaker 8: There is no deal to get cut.
Speaker 27: If government gets shut down because they don't get what they need from the cur bill, so be it. Because if it goes forward with them being able to appropriate through September and still not spend the money on the entitlement programs, we're no better forward.
Speaker 15: So right now, let's focus on the budget.
Speaker 6: Let's focus on the budget fight.
Speaker 27: And the only two Democrats have right now is not to support the continued resolution unless they get some things in place to force the Republican priorty and Trump to do what's necessary. We may be nonpartisan, but with political hit as hell. This is not a partisanship conversation. This is about saving and protecting our democracy and progress made President Jackson.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, no go, President Johnson. Now, if that's the directive to our elected officials, how do we convey something similar to our brothers and sisters who are just out here in the electorate. Our friend to get caught up in the algorithm of s whites whites, right, and some of them distractions will get you riled up. There were two cops who were convicted of kill so I don't remember the city but they were reinstated to their respective police force. This week, there's granted I don't write anything office outlandish anymore, but there's talk of people proposing a Derek Chauvin pardon for some point. But you know they're gonna try and sneak in around Juneteenth something like that. It's not policy, but it emotionally empowers a base that has been misinformed to then continue to push back on all of the things that as an electorate we actually need to be paying attention to. So how do we help drive voters to educate themselves and not get caught up in the algorithm of distractions? Or how do you allocate your attentions over here? Put eighty percent on snap and medicaid NAIN, now twenty percent over here on police officers getting part Well.
Speaker 27: That's the fight where in the control of the narrative in this moment is most important. CBS is compromised because they have an issue of merger in front of the FCC. COMPKINS is propromised because they don't want to lose the broadband money, the tens of billions of dollars that got for broadcasts. Therefore, MSNBC and NBC they're paralyzed. Disney is compromised because of the regulatory issues they're concerned with. The social media platforms as they exist are all trying to resist antitrust legislation. The fight we're in is around the control of narrative, and we have to figure out how to platform somewhere where we could get enough people to see what's taking place and control the narrative. If I had the solution to that, that's the sip bullet that we all need to have. But unfortunately, the medium age of.
Speaker 15: Our community is thirty two point six years old.
Speaker 27: That mean almost half of our population grew up in school districts without ever having city or social studies. They don't understand the role of government, the levels of power, and so our fight is more about how do we keep our people.
Speaker 15: Informed and focus that it is anything else. That is the fight that we are in.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and speaking of the fight, I wanted to go to someone who is another young leader. His name is Yusuf Omer and he is an SGA president at an HBCU. You talked about Miles College earlier, Roy, and so I want to know what the fight looks like for students at historically black colleges and universities where you all are being told that your funding could get hit too. This is the same man who took credit for giving funding to y'all that he did not give and has criticized the last administration for actually giving him. So I want to know what the fight looks like a student level, what you all are talking about, how you all are talking about mobilizing when your education is on the line, and actually your bodies could be on the line as well.
Speaker 28: Absolutely, Angeline, just thank you for having us on here, Thank you for highlighting young people, understanding that we are not the future, we are the now. Understanding that hbc YOU has been the backbone for years, for hundreds of years of black excellence, producing leaders, innovators, change makers, people in all different walks of life, in every single field, despite being historically underfunded.
Speaker 6: That's just reality, and that reality is clear.
Speaker 28: As day that each HBCU in these United States does more with less. If we say that we truly value education and value all young people, we must invest in every institution that has invested back in US Federal funding for HBC YOU shouldn't be a charity, and it shouldn't be something that people can threaten to take away. It should be something that our government should continually invest and add more to.
Speaker 21: I look at it like federal.
Speaker 28: Funding for us at HBCUs is a debt ode to the legacy of what we do, of what our ancestors fought for, and the brilliance that these institutions represent. When you fund the HBCU, you literally fund the future of black leadership, a black culture of economic power and social progress in this country.
Speaker 21: And as students, we're working.
Speaker 28: On not only mobilizing, but we're now having students run for office while they're in college. We have students at HBCUs running for city council. These are hometown heroes that we need to shed the light on. We need to donate to their campaigns, we need to support them, and we need to educate. I want to shout out with my professor the reason I'm here, doctor Wes Bellamy. These are the environments that we're cultivating at HBCUs. Classrooms and discussions and ideas and debates that are not only staying in the classroom. These ideas, debased and discussions are now being traveled to different boardrooms, into the houses of government and state legislators.
Speaker 13: So it's definitely needed.
Speaker 28: Funding for hb stop and the research fund it for HBCU should never stop.
Speaker 1: I want to call up Wes Bellamy, doctor Wes Bellamy, who is yes a professor but also the social Action chair for one hundred Black Men. Talk about the role Wes, that you all must play.
Speaker 5: Also in supporting black women who are doing this work.
Speaker 1: Already, but we need to be standing together talk about the important role that you all play right now and where we go from here and talk about some of the things that you all are doing next or right now that folks can engage.
Speaker 21: Sure you know, first and foremost, major kudos to you.
Speaker 29: I'll call you the Chris Paul of the movement, Angela for always being an architect. She's always passing the ball, setting people up, and she can be nice and nasty when she needs to to get us.
Speaker 14: We need to be stay on topic.
Speaker 8: Let me.
Speaker 29: So so yeah, thank you say as much love as you said alluded to. We know that HBCUs play a very pivotal role in our community. But just as important as it is for us to support our hbc US, we need to support black students no matter what institution they're at. We see pwy's under attack our black students, whether that be in black student unions. We saw this information come out right there at Ohio State University about potentially their black student union being shut down. We've seen certain things transpire University of Virginia, where I live right next to. I mean there's a multitude of institutions at pw excuse me, multitude of students at pwi's and HBC user like who need our assistance. So, Angela, when you ask the question of what do we do in the immediate, I think that means showing up. Yousef made a really good point in terms of how there's young people who are running for office right now. We just had Ayana Bryan on earlier. She's running for city council. I would encourage us all in the immediate to donate to her campaign. I just donated one hundred dollars. I asked for anybody on here to match that. That's a young person on here right now who's out doing the work and she's committing herself to get in the fight. So we all can do something in the immedia today by supporting her on a broader scale and on a larger scale. When we talk about different things specifically in our community tomorrow or and ure Friday, or next Tuesday or next month. I think it's about doing three things. One, we have to be able to endure and mentally and emotionally prepare ourselves to be able to endure what's going on in front of us. There's going to be a lot of fatigue that we feel, both emotionally and mentally from just.
Speaker 21: All of the things that are coming on in our bodies.
Speaker 29: So I think it's important to be able to have your happy space, take the time away when you need it, be able to rest when you need to, and then again be prepared to go out and get up and fight the next day, because there will be a fight tomorrow. Secondly, when it comes to on a local level, we all need to be looking at how we can be engaged today. Whether that means showing up at a city council meeting, showing up at a school board meeting, showing up to a PTA or PTO meeting. We can all go and do those things today. And then thirdly, we know that we're gonna have to contact and support our legislators, whether that be persons like jas mccrockett, and others who we know are on the front lines and they're speaking out of speaking boldly. But in addition to those folks, we need to be agitating the individuals who aren't as loud, the quote unquote moderate Democrat or the moderate liberal, or the moderate independent or the radical Republican. We need to be agitating and bringing the smoke to all of them the same way that y'all worked for us. I saw a small clip just a second ago. Somebody sent it to my phone of a sister during the State of the trash excuse me, the State of the Union, and.
Speaker 21: There was a there was a there was a coward.
Speaker 2: I mean, there was a.
Speaker 21: Congressman who snatched the he snatched the paper.
Speaker 29: She said she had a paper that said this is not normal, and he's snash the paper out her hand and then threw it up in the air like hip hip hooray.
Speaker 2: Like that should infuriate.
Speaker 21: Us and motivate us to go to work.
Speaker 29: Me personally, I would want to do some other things, but I'm going to channel my energy to go do some work within the community, and I think those are the things that we can do right now. Like everybody isn't going to mobilize a five thousand person march. Everybody isn't going to be able to put together this prolific town hall, but we all can do something in our communities, first, in our neighborhoods, next in our states and congressional districts after that.
Speaker 2: So let's go get to it.
Speaker 29: I challenge y'all to work not only with me, but everyone else on this call and those who we don't know, so we can get to work.
Speaker 5: And on that wes.
Speaker 1: Speaking of getting to work, there is somebody that's all about that work that is now with Reverend Mark Thompson. Ayana Presley, the congresswoman who is about that life real og is here and she is ready to talk to us.
Speaker 5: So congress Woman and Presley, welcome. We are so happy to see you. We're so glad you walked out.
Speaker 2: Girl, glad you walked out. She she can't. We're relaying what you're saying.
Speaker 14: Ok we said, girl, she said go girl.
Speaker 2: That's what she said. You can hear me, Okay, you.
Speaker 5: She can't hear us.
Speaker 2: So tell us, Congresswoman, God bless you, what happened up set?
Speaker 30: Yeah, well, we walked out, probably about twenty of us, but there were many people participating in silent protests with different.
Speaker 31: Signs instead of things like musk steals.
Speaker 30: UH, protect Medicaid, protect veterans. You know, this is the reforms of protests taking place UH in many iterations, including from Representative out Green and so yeah, this is a former protest.
Speaker 11: I went very briefly.
Speaker 31: Because I was here to hold space for my guest, who is.
Speaker 30: A probationary federal worker who worked at HUD who enforces national fair housing laws.
Speaker 31: She's also a wheelchair user, and.
Speaker 30: So she navigated a lot of ablest spaces to be here today, so to honor her, I want to take up space, but I knew that I was not going to stay there because we cannot normalize this. This man has no respect for Congress. He does not respect us as a cult equal branch of government. He has contempt for the American people. He pardoned January six ers, who desecrated the very well that we are in today for this joint Address of Congress or state of a Union. So I don't need to be there for a maga pep rally listening to lies in propaganda, hateful rhetoric, and even more hateful and harmful policies, and those policies are coming for every single person to cause this country home.
Speaker 31: Listen, I've been in Congress six years. I've never walked.
Speaker 30: Out of a joint address of Congress or State of the Union, not even for the occupant's first term.
Speaker 31: I've never walked out.
Speaker 14: But this is not normal.
Speaker 31: This is a fascist dictator.
Speaker 26: Uh.
Speaker 31: And I could not sit there and pretend.
Speaker 15: That this was it.
Speaker 31: That man is unfit to be president. He is not the president.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 30: And so if he has contempt for the American people, I'm gonna stand in solidarity with the American people. And that is why I walked out in protest at nine point forty. These boots were definitely made for walking. And and again, I wanted to bring visibility to the story of the federal worker from my district who was fired unlawfully, unjustly.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 30: And it not only is disrupting her life and livelihood, but it's a disservice to the people that she serves every day.
Speaker 2: Speaking of this is not normal. A member head to sign.
Speaker 15: Oh, let me tell you about that.
Speaker 31: Okay.
Speaker 30: So Melanie Stansbury had a sign shot a rest in peace and power to she La Jackson Lee.
Speaker 31: She was sitting on the aisle. Representative Jackson Lee used to sit for hours to hold that seat on the aisle.
Speaker 30: Melanie Stansbury was in that seat well a sign that said this isn't normal, because it ain't and a as Trump was making his way down the aisle, a Republican colleague I think from Texas, but I don't want to misrepresent leaned across the aisle snatched the sign and threw it up in the air.
Speaker 2: That's assault. We're talking about that. So the twenty who walked out, twenty who walked out?
Speaker 21: This all?
Speaker 30: Was this all black caucas No, it was a mix of Congressional Black Caucus and Congressional Progressive Caucus.
Speaker 31: But I would say that there were more members of the CDC.
Speaker 2: And you said you did not plan the standard me. You knew you would probably welcome.
Speaker 30: I wasn't going to Well, honestly, I wasn't going to come at all, because again, this is not normal. This is in what other setting would we give audience to a fascist dictator. I want to be very clear, though, there's honorable in front of our names, every single member of Congress. For a reason, I respect my colleagues, and how each of them decided to demonstrate protest, how they chose to center their guests for tonight.
Speaker 31: For me, I could not I could not sit there.
Speaker 30: That very chamber was desecrated by January sixth insurrectionists.
Speaker 31: That he parted. He does not respect us as a coequal branch of government. He has no respect for us. So it's insult to injury.
Speaker 30: So again, if he has contempt for the people, we're gonna stand in solidarity with the people.
Speaker 31: And I honestly it was a part of a broader democratic strategy to have different forms.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you all know that she.
Speaker 2: Is the truth. We got y'all tangled up in these wives, So tell it. So what did you did? You all walk? You walk at the same time.
Speaker 32: This is my queen, Ayanna Presley. I take all guidance from her.
Speaker 22: Yes, And essentially we did all walk out together.
Speaker 5: We in our minds had an idea of what we were going to do.
Speaker 32: I think each of us said there's only so much shit that I can take right when I have to keep flushing this toilet.
Speaker 31: And we walked out within four minutes of each other. It was a small wave of us, and it was.
Speaker 2: Also I heard it was a plane to where black was that kind of a uh uh.
Speaker 14: Uh huh?
Speaker 2: Mark Times go ahead, Roy.
Speaker 8: Could you ask either of them? Do they feel like the hind closed doors? So it's behind closed doors. Any of the Republican officials are starting to turn against Trump?
Speaker 2: Do you get this sen as any of the Republican members are starting to turn against Trump?
Speaker 32: No, they're scared, but they also are mad at themselves for having no courage, And they're mad at us because we are the mirror.
Speaker 33: Of courage that they should have.
Speaker 30: And it would seem to Party it's a cult of cowards that are complicit in wholesale harm.
Speaker 2: And they have a majority. He even deems irrelevant because he just skips right over them, right, I mean, it's they don't.
Speaker 30: Mess that only abdicated their responsibility in this moment for our shared constituents. They have seeded their Congressional authority and power because of their fealty and loyalty to Donald Trump and not to the people that elected them.
Speaker 32: And what is so very scary is that Donald Trump is trying to merge the executive, the legislative, and the judicial branch. We have seen Congress yield to him, the Republicans, and we have to make sure that the judiciary does not do what these Republicans in Congress have done.
Speaker 2: That's right. I know I speak for everyone here. Answer you got a quick quck quick question? You want me to relay?
Speaker 5: I don't just let them know we stand with them.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go to some of their colleagues here to get a reaction, but tell them we stand with them, and we thank them for their courage.
Speaker 2: We all stand with you. We thank you for your courage. You know, somebody you gotta do this, So I'm glad you all did that. And you know, I don't know you could hear him. He started whining, they don't love me. Then they don't have a clap for me. When I came up here for five years, they didn't clap. I mean, he went this, you know that whole Rodney dangerfield. Don't nobody love me?
Speaker 22: Thinking, Wow, tell the truth and we'll clap. Tell the truth and we'll clap. Do your fucking job and we'll clap.
Speaker 32: But if you're going to kill us, if you're going to fire us, if you're going to take away our rights, then we are not going to clap.
Speaker 31: We are going to go for you.
Speaker 20: That's right, damn right.
Speaker 31: I know she was loud, and she says she takes all.
Speaker 2: Hold on to Mario.
Speaker 5: Well, because because they can't hear us Mark, because they can't hear us Mark. I want to just jump in here.
Speaker 1: There was someone who's a good friend of ours, our good brother Gary Chambers, who Gary Chambers has been relentless about. Let's call our members. Let's make sure they know we don't even want them to go, tell them to go somewhere. So I want to get his live reaction to what he's hearing right now, Gary time in here.
Speaker 9: I just I want to say thank you to the members of Congress who had the courage to stand up, because at the end of the day, we don't have to act like this as normal. We don't have to sit there and just allow him to lie in our faces. And I think that if we are understanding the spirit of our ancestors, that is to resist in both strategic ways and visible ways. So this government understands where we are in.
Speaker 2: A strategic way. That's what he was just saying.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we all agree to translate, but let's we got to keep the panel.
Speaker 2: No, but I'm gonna say one thing. Since the Mario was here and we talked and a Resa was here, we want to introduce those of you who don't know. She mentioned Kank Truman, Shiela Jackson Lee. She has inherited the mantle from the spirit of Shila Jackson Lee and John Kanye is Ayanna Presley is now the primary sponsor and they try forty reparations now. So we appreciate that Maxwell Frost has said, yeah, Mcrokett is around, and I think Albreen is still coming.
Speaker 5: I'll be back perfect. Thank you so much.
Speaker 8: Mark.
Speaker 5: We got we got Mark on the spot. Forget Johnny Roy.
Speaker 1: We got Mark on the spot and he brought us right to our protesters that know what time it is. It is state of the people, y'all in a state of the unit, and it ain't a joint addressed. This is our time and it is so good to be alongside people with courage. I want to go to some sisters that I know carry the mantle for courage all the time. Bishop Leadaughtree, I want to come to you, and shavn Our Line Bradley, I also want to come to you simultaneously.
Speaker 5: I want to hear what y'all think about that.
Speaker 1: And now that we've had some sisters show up, show out say that we're not going to sit here and listen to this nonsense, what do people at home do with that same courage? How can we motivate and activate that same courage. I also want y'all to know I came to them because these are my These are my side passes. Okay, they get a prayer through and they'll get us some action that is rooted in faith.
Speaker 5: So I want to hear from you all about what you think we do with that.
Speaker 31: On the side.
Speaker 5: I got a main line right to them.
Speaker 8: Okay, I thought you'd mind.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, See Roy, that's why you know what somebody blocking?
Speaker 15: Well, I'll start Shavn go ahead, Shavin you go well.
Speaker 34: First of all, shout out to the love tonight. I suspect the ancestors are well and resting well because of what's happening right now. So just shout out to the whole family Angeler for keep keeping us rolling. I think a couple of things to offer as you think about the response. And I want to just honor black women in this moment for being aware and taking space that we know is ours to take.
Speaker 6: I will tell you this, there.
Speaker 34: Is a unity between the brothers and sisters tonight that I think it's palpable and I think it's changing the game. But when we talk about the ground game, we need to talk specifically about where people need to go. There are a lot of questions that are coming in on the strategies. What are we supposed to do? This is boycott, yes, activate, yes, But we're talking about now the legislative part of this work, This part of the advocacy on the ground is where voters can.
Speaker 21: Take a stance.
Speaker 34: If you have a child that has an illness, they're currently receiving CHIP and supported by Medicaid. If you have a mother or father who is over sixty five, they're receiving any kind of treatments, they're receiving Medicare, Social Security is on the line. I also want us to understand that we start talking about snap and benefits, these are not just benefiting black people. As a misnomer about these entitlements.
Speaker 6: And what I want people to.
Speaker 34: Understand is you have to now start calling your senators every single day.
Speaker 6: Be relentless, be relentless in.
Speaker 34: A way that allows them to know you will be voted out. And we've got to also use the phone tree method, like we got a old school. You got to call your people to tell them to call their people to make these phone calls and then show up special elections in Florida First and sixth district.
Speaker 14: Do not miss this.
Speaker 6: I don't care this Republican district. I care that we got black people that can vote.
Speaker 34: Here's the last thing I want to say is for this call tonight, as people are listening to what's happening, we got to understand that strategy will outweigh this foolishness.
Speaker 6: But strategy comes when.
Speaker 34: We had to take a moment to breathe and activate. Now that we're activating, look at what we've done in twenty four hours. We have called my father's seventy seven years old and he told me he clicked.
Speaker 6: On to watch tonight. We're hitting generation after generation.
Speaker 34: We got mothers, grandmothers, fathers, Folks that have not been listening are now listening.
Speaker 6: So when you say turn the TV off, that doesn't mean turn off the activism. That means turn off this moment to be able to pull together what we're doing tonight, working y'all we are going to win because our ancestors gave it the blueprint. This is a different man, but not a different plan.
Speaker 5: That's what I want you to hear, Bishop, before you weigh in.
Speaker 1: We've been joined by Congresswoman Latifah Simon with Mark, Reverend Mark Thompson, and I want to go to her.
Speaker 5: You all heard her earlier today.
Speaker 1: I'm ready to go anywhere, all right, delivering her working family, working family party rebuttal or prebuttal to the state of the Union. So Mark, I'm coming to you now so we can hear from Congresswoman Simon.
Speaker 2: Congswims, Simon, what happened?
Speaker 11: A lot happened tonight.
Speaker 15: I mean, I know, I walked out.
Speaker 11: I walked out.
Speaker 33: I couldn't listen to these these deep lives.
Speaker 11: It's vitrio.
Speaker 31: But it also, Sarah, felt like a clan rally in there.
Speaker 22: We we have to really understand what's happening right in front of us. We heard the president said clearly. He said clearly that he wants to take us back to a nineteen fifties America. DEI is code for making sure that white men are leading everything. He has fired for star generals and has put unqualified white men to head our pentagon.
Speaker 14: I can go on and on.
Speaker 22: We heard the lies when he talks started talking about social security. That's my grandmother, that's my aunt. Those are disabled children and the children of dead men. That is a social safety net that we all have paid into. And he is going to just rupt that department. He is going to just rupt and fracture our education system again, that's disabled children, that's K through.
Speaker 11: Twelve, that's FASPA.
Speaker 22: I couldn't listen to someone who's trying to tear apart the very structures that we have fought to build in the last sixty years in this country.
Speaker 17: I had to walk out.
Speaker 22: It's my job to be in this building, but I refuse to sit and kowto to the neo clan.
Speaker 31: I'm not doing it.
Speaker 2: Had you contemplated that, did you have a feeling that might be what you would do?
Speaker 31: I knew it, but my mother said, listen.
Speaker 22: My mother is from malvern Ark and she told me this morning, Latifa, eight hundred thousand people are expecting you to do your job and at least go. No one is supposed to kick you out of your house. So I wasn't kicked out today. I left mid mid speech, very clear that we have work to do on the ground and factually, block by block, if we vote walk back block, we can take back the House, stop this mad man, and win the presidency.
Speaker 11: It's that simple.
Speaker 22: These folks don't care about laws, they don't care about the judiciary. We're facing a constitutional crisis when moreover, America is about to be sicker and poor, and none of us are safe.
Speaker 31: You know last thing I'll say on this.
Speaker 22: You know, a few weeks into me being here, I'm a new member of Congress, I was one of the few people outside of Doe saying let us in and talk to these folks who want to take apart funding for HBCUs, want to take disabled services out of our eight through twelve for our disabled, autistic children, intellectual and physical disabilities. Want to talk to them. Not only did they lock the doors, they sent Homeland security. You couldn't see that behind the doors there's a wall of Promeland Security officers with their hands on their guns. This is not the republic that we have fought for. These are dangerous times. This democracy is in hospice.
Speaker 31: Watch out and be close and be clear. We have to organize, and folks have to run and went office.
Speaker 22: Because we are this close, this close from being in a segregated apartheid America once again. We have literally shed blood, tears, intellectual beauty to have the small.
Speaker 15: Rights that we have.
Speaker 22: My mother wasn't born in a democracy. Yours wasn't either in this country. Literally they couldn't vote, Their grandmothers couldn't vote. We are only two and a half generations past those times. This thinly veiled democracy can be whipped away in a second. Look at El Salvador, the president of al Salvador ripped up the constitution, slandered the legislative body in the dictionary body, and has now created a prison state. We gotta work, y'all. I'm ready to work. I'm here not just legislat but to organize, but to show up for my people.
Speaker 31: We got to do better, and I'm gonna do better.
Speaker 11: That's what I'm here to do.
Speaker 22: And I'm proud and honored to be one of two hundred people in this nation's history. Less than that has worn this pin.
Speaker 31: So it's about action.
Speaker 15: We're gonna be in committee, but we're gonna be on.
Speaker 5: The streets too.
Speaker 2: You may have had a bit of vantage point that we did what exactly happened with Al Green when they came in to escort him out, did they not?
Speaker 22: So you know that brother is on the floor every single day fighting the good fight. I mean, listened to him his force speeches every day. What he did is he shook his cane and he challenged the leader of the Neo clan. And that's what he was supposed to do. And the Speaker of the House had a black man forcefully removed from the chamber by the sergeant in arms.
Speaker 11: He is a sitting member of Congress.
Speaker 22: And do you see the heckling and the hollering from the Republicans?
Speaker 31: Do they have decorum?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 31: This is a discriminary body right now.
Speaker 22: This is a leadership that doesn't see black men as equal to their white counterparts.
Speaker 31: Is really clear.
Speaker 22: If you look at the right side of the aisle, you see a monolithic you see a monolithic governance structure. It's a majority white man structure.
Speaker 15: That's what they want.
Speaker 31: That's what they're pushing for. And you better feel, you better feel the realness of that.
Speaker 22: They are going to make sure that every head of state, every department head looks like those men, looks like the men who come.
Speaker 31: From a Lennia and you had our uncles swinging from trees.
Speaker 5: That is not hyperbole.
Speaker 17: That is the truth.
Speaker 15: That's the fight back.
Speaker 2: We got fire up in the capitol, y'all. I'm gonna throw it back because I know y'all having dialogue and folks gonna keep dropping and thank you congress Woman, thank you.
Speaker 5: Mark, keep them coming. This is amazing.
Speaker 1: I want to go to bishoply Adoptree now we talk about you, can you please show everybody your shirt because your shirt is prophetic for this evening.
Speaker 5: Look at this.
Speaker 1: It says black women vote, and what you see is black women leading, black women walking out.
Speaker 5: Boots were made for walking black women.
Speaker 1: Cussing while they leaving. You gotta feel proud. Bishop, I want to hear about this.
Speaker 15: It is an amazing moment. This whole day has just been an amazing thing. And to see these sisters step up and tell us what was happening on the floor is just singular. And you know, black women are doing what black women have always done in this country. And I'm not discounting the efforts of the brothers, but I was asked to talk about black women, so that's what I'm gonna do. And so I think what we're seeing is the continuation of the bloodline and of the lineage. And I just want to remind us that nobody is coming to save us. There's no army that's coming to save us. We're gonna have to save ourselves. And that's just the bottom line. And if we're waiting for some want some cavalry, the cavai ain't coming, y'all. We have to save ourselves. And so what I want to offer is a couple of things that people can do. Number One, reject. We have got to reject the lies. What happened today with this twenty four hour marathon is one example. We gotta reject it outright. Refuse to accept what theydition. We just not gonna reject it. Do not engage in anticipatory compliance, do not obey in advance. We gotta reject it. Number Two, we gotta resist. Put on your boots, get you an angela bahrein, do whatever you gotta do in the places where you are to resist what is happening To say, I will not go here is the line I will not cross. I am going to do what I can do, which is not to say that we all gonna do the same thing, but we ought to practice resistance in the spaces where they are. Number Three, we gotta reclaim our heritage. We've let it go because we have had an easy time of things in some respects, or we've been duped into thinking we've had an easy time. We have got to reclaim the mantle of our ancestors. What the lineage was that got us to where we are today, where we have all these firsts, where we have people incentive, where we have people running businesses. It was not ever so. And so we got to reclaim the authority, reclaim the power, reclaim our legacy as black people in this country who were built to survive. We were made for this storm. Everything that has happened to us in this country has prepared us for this moment, and we are up to the task. And the last r I'm gonna give you is remember, you got to remember where we've come from. You got to remember the battles we've already won. In the face of this of these co presidents who will try every day to dismiss, demean and diminish us, we have to remember that with the stock we've come from, we've got to remember the people we've come from, who were sturdy enough and strong enough to survive this middle passage to get here and to live four hundred years, to survive through the slave master's whip, through the splinching tree, through the segregated fountains, the back of the bus, and they kept on breathing, and they kept on living in the hope that we would be able to stand, not just stand, but thrive. And we cannot let our legacy and that our ancestors left for us be diminished onto me. Ain't nobody coming to save us. We gotta save ourselves.
Speaker 1: That is absolutely right, sos and on that speaking to somebody who's working on saving ourselves actively. He might've upset some party folks the other day because Jamie Harrison was front.
Speaker 5: And center in the USA Today article.
Speaker 1: While white folks are talking about identity politics no more, there's no space for DEEI. We're starting to see white folks in the Democratic Party aligned with Republicans sounding real dixiecratish, and Jamie Harrison is like, sweet brown, Ain't nobody got time for that.
Speaker 5: So Jamie, I want to know where you will tell the party to go from here? You see black women and black men.
Speaker 1: Thinking about mister Green leading with no direction in some ways, right they are leading. They're saying, we're gonna take this in our own hands. We are going to follow our own conscience. We know they are members of a caucus that's called the Conscience of the Congress. Jamie, how are you feeling about all this? And what do you tell the people at home who are like, finally we see leadership.
Speaker 35: Well, listen, Angela, First of all, thank you for your vision you enjoy for helping to pull all this together.
Speaker 8: And you know, the bishop just preached the word.
Speaker 21: She just preached the word.
Speaker 35: And we're at this inflection point, particularly where parties are. And you know, I'm very fortunate to been the third black person to be chair of the Democratic Party. But I can tell your Democratic Party ain't perfect.
Speaker 13: And right now what you hear is there's a battle for the soul of the party.
Speaker 35: You got some folks who love to say that black folks represent the backbone, the heart and soul of the Democratic Party. But at the at the first indication of any anxiety, electoral anxiety, they want to abandon those folks. They talk about identity politics being the thing that drags that is dragging the Democratic Party back held evangelist, the right wing evangelists in the South is an identity group. Gand owners in the South our identity group. But you don't see the Republicans running away from them. If African Americans represent the backbone of this party, then why are not all Democrats surrounding us and supporting us in this full frontal attack that is happening on the black community right now. We all have to stand up. We all have a role to play, but we all have to stand up and we have to demand that our that our party and party leaders. And I'm not saying this as a blanket. This is you know, the DNC or whatever, but I'm seeing the folks who are elected officials in this party. They all have to stand up and do their parts in terms of fighting for us. And that's what we saw in his last election. There are some people who just fundamentally do not feel as though they see Donald Trump and they don't agree with Donald Trump.
Speaker 15: Many of them hate Donald Trump.
Speaker 21: But the one thing that they respect about Donald Trump is.
Speaker 35: That whatever he believes, he fights like hell for Democrats. We got to fight like hell for the things that we believe that our core values and the people who are the backbone of this party, and that is black folks.
Speaker 14: And so that's what we need at this point in time. And listen, we're all gonna.
Speaker 8: Have different roles.
Speaker 35: We're all gonna play different different roles in us. You know, we saw it during the Civil rights movement, right there was the person who they were the people who march. There were people who sat in at the lunch counters. There were the folks who got the dogs sitting on them. But they were the pastors who organized. They were also the people who paid the bail.
Speaker 15: Right, They're the lawyers that went into the.
Speaker 8: We all have roles to playing. We got to figure out what our role is.
Speaker 35: I often wondered, Angela when I was growing up in Orangeburg, what would I have done in the Civil rights movement?
Speaker 8: Well, hell, we don't have to wonder anymore.
Speaker 35: Because right now we are in the civil rights movement of our time, and the question is what will each of us do in this movement in order to continue to move our people, and our party and our families in this country forward. And so I'm just I'm happy to be a part of this. You know, I'm gonna do everything because I do it. Yes, I do it for my people, but you know selfishly, you know who I do it for, my two black sons who.
Speaker 8: Are upstairs right now sleeping.
Speaker 14: That is who I do this work for.
Speaker 35: That's why I will give every breath in my body to make sure that my sons don't grow up in a world like my grandparents grew up in where the KKK march through their town, where they had to drink out of colored water fountains, where they sat at the back of the bus. I will do every single thing in my power, will give every bit of my blood, every breath that I have to make sure that my boys don't live in that world. Right now, we have a fascist in a White House. It is fair, it is fraud, it is fascism, and that is what defines a Republican Party.
Speaker 8: That is what defines Donald Trump.
Speaker 15: And we got to do everything that we can to push back and fight back against that.
Speaker 8: Congressman Harrison, thank you so so much. We want to go back now real quick to Mark Thompson. I understand he has a representative, Maxwell Frost, one of the few good things to come out of Florida. Mark uh gets also orange, just shout out to oranges. Mark real quick asked to start asking.
Speaker 2: He can eat you, he can hear you, he can Okay, dope, So are you doing?
Speaker 8: Good to see you? Good to see? Ain't singing since a daily show when you popped in a while back. Brother. What was the consensus before going into the chambers tonight amongst all the Democrats, Well, y'all was you're gonna walk out, Well, I'm gonna walk out, you walk out, I'll walk out. Or was it more organized? Was everyone kind of feeling their own way as the night went on, There.
Speaker 36: Was definitely a lot of organizing going on. And here was the general consensus is that number one, this isn't a normal address. This isn't a normal time where you stand up when the president walks in, where you have that kind of decorum, because number one, he's never shown that to us, or the American people or any people. He's never shown that to black people. And so we walked in there, many of us with a plan of what to do. If you've seen the videos, you've seen people with signs holding up signs. I hold up a sign that said musk steals elon Musk has been tweeting at me every other week. If I was the richest man on earth, I wouldn't be tweeting at twenty's eight year old Maxwell Frost.
Speaker 2: But I'll be doing other things.
Speaker 21: But I held up a must steal sign.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing.
Speaker 36: The reason why we decided to walk out is because number one, we all worked really hard to get the Congress and our constituents set us there, and we knew we didn't want to stay the whole time. But I think there's power in occupying us space and choosing yourself. Went to get up and leave and walk out in the spirit of student protesters from the Civil rights era, and that's why we decided to do it. Us in a group of mainly women from the Black Caucus who helped lead us into that action. Yeah, you and you have some loan, right, Yeah, And we couldn't. You can't just get up and walk out, right. We got up and we turned around and showed them our back to show this message, no kings live here, No kings live here. Yeah, because he thinks he's a king. And what's going on right now is this administrative coup, coup and billionaire takeover of our government so they can take away Medicaid, social Security, the things people have fought for and earned, to give billionaires a tax cut. And this is what the fascists do is they try to have us say, well, I can't pay rent because of black history, I can't afford my medicine, because of that trans person, I can't afford this, I can't afford that because of the immigrant. They want us to look at each other instead of looking at them. But what I try to tell people is you are closer to being on the streets than you are to being elon musk. But they profit from us blaming each other, especially as black people amongst cultures and amongst the entire world. So I'm proud to be here, I'm proud to have done this action, but we know it doesn't stop here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what's next? What would you what do you want to see your other members and this party do?
Speaker 36: I believe Look, number one, when you don't have all the power you want, you use all the power you got. And we do have power because there's only a two seat majority in the House, and we have the ability to obstruct, to delay, to push back on this extreme agenda that most people don't believe in And I think that's what we need to do, whether it's working at subpoena, Elon Musk and every single oversight committee hearing right or as many as we can one day, a few of those too many of those guys are going to be at lunch a little too far and guess what it'll move through, believe it or not. That's how that's how these things work sometimes. Right, the other day you have to challenge power too. The other day I said, grifter in chief, I think that's pretty tame. First, that's pretty tame. But they wouldn't even allow me to say that. So then you say, well, do I see that ground or do I push it not to just be performative, but to make a point till people can see what's going on, because we can't assume that everyone's paying attention to that to that.
Speaker 8: Point, Congressman Frost about not seeding ground. Earlier this week, President Trump tweeted or truth social or whatever about the possibility when it comes to the youth of if you protest at a college campus, automatic expulsion or if you protest illegally, which basically means we will draw the lines of the appropriate way to protest and then just say you violated and expel you. How serious do you think of a threat that is as we get into midterms, and how serious how I believe protesting is going to play an important part of everything we're talking about over the next four years. How serious of a threat is that do you think that to be? And what advice would you have to young organizers who are going to be facing these types of potential legal ramifications for speaking out.
Speaker 36: I think it's a very serious threat. I think that Number one week campaign for a while talking about Project twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Now it's happening.
Speaker 36: Yeah, we have no room to act surprised about the things they're doing because they wrote them down and we told people they would do it. And this attack on freedom of speech and students is something that we have to take seriously. So what would I tell students to do?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 36: Thinking to my organizing number one, build community and grow your movement outside of students too. I remember during the Black Lives Matter uprising, the nights where I was tear gas mason when I went to jail.
Speaker 6: It wasn't just.
Speaker 36: People my age that had my back, and it wasn't just people my age that bailed me out of jail. It was a multi generational movement of community that brought each other up. You know our pro bono lawyers where many of them were seniors, right, who came out to help us. So I encourage people young people throughout history will always be leading, right, But it is important to make sure that you bring everybody into this movement because it's of us, by us, and I think that's how we protect us. So that's what I would tell students across the country. Take this seriously, and also call on your elected officials to protect your freedom of speech. Whether you're advocating against babies dying and guys, or you're advocating to make sure that we have accountability and law enforcement or whatever it is, housing justice, whatever it is. We all deserve to say what we want to say. And that he wants to go out after that. And here's the other thing I'll say. I think another reason he wants to go after it is because a lot of times in history that energy does turn into votes against fascism. Do we have the largest youth foot or turnout in the history of our country in a mid term in twenty eighteen, happened in twenty eighteen, massive protests. What else happened in twenty eighteen Marjorie Slimm and Douglas was shot up and students around the country said enough is enough. In twenty twenty, we had the highest uit for the turnout in the history of a general election. What happened in twenty twenty a black man was lynched in broad daylight. People woke up and saw the video and said enough is enough, took to the streets, Then they took to the ballot box. So there's a danger in allowing social movements to emerge, and they want to try to scare people from even going out to the street in the first place. We have to take it very serious year.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Bresidan, thank you just well.
Speaker 1: Last question for Mark Congressman is Angela Rye. Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 5: I quick question for you. When you consider what just happened and you see how Congressman Green was treated, do you think it was worth it to show up to the joint address tonight?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 36: Obviously this is a I don't want to talk about about anyone for their individual decisions. Everyone's going to decide how they want to represent their constituents, I'll tell you where I come. Where I'm coming from. Number one, I come from direct action and movement based politics. And for me, it's all about space. How are you taking up space? When are you leaving a space and making sure you're doing that on your own accord? And of course I worked hard to get here, but more importantly, my people set me here. I believe to take up space. But here's the thing that's more from a practical point of view. When you don't show up and sit in a seat, they put a Republican staffer in that seat. When you leave in the middle of the speech, there's no staffers available to sit in your seat. So all these are the things that we know we try to think about when we do the action. Did I not want to go? Of course I didn't want to go and listen to this VS lies from this neo fascist racist. But I think there's power in stepping up, leaving a solidarity of course with al Green, but also in solidarity with black people and oppressed people across this nation. And so everyone has their own way of advocating. Some people boycotted it. Power to them, power to everyone. But this was the way I decided to do my action tonight with a great group of people.
Speaker 2: Let me say this as we as he leaves, brother, we appreciate you, Tamika. This reminds me being with this young twenty something your brother in this capital reminds me of when we were with those other young twenty some of young brothers in the Capitol of Nashville. So this is Dejah Blue, love you man. You keep that up. Man, proud of you. Doppreciate all right, all right, we'll be back, y'all, go ahead, all right, thank you.
Speaker 5: I am so grateful for these cutaways to the Capitol. It's putting us right in the moment. This is really really good reporting on behalf of Reverend Mark Thompson.
Speaker 1: I want to come to our sister that she wipes her face. Latasha was on the plane for twenty hours traveling to get here tonight. Latasha Brown is the co founder of Black Voters Matter. Black Voters Matter got something to say about some of this too, So LB I want to come to you because you all have always been about the work of the people and making sure that we get it engage. I want to know your reaction to what Maxell is just sharing and what you think our next steps need to be?
Speaker 37: Oh oh freedom, Oh freedom, freedom, Oh bumby, oh bummy, And before.
Speaker 31: Me, I say, I'll be glad in my gray and go to my Lord and be free.
Speaker 22: You know, I wanted to sing that song because this is the week March the sixtieth anniversary of people who sang that song on the Emma Petteris Bridge in the summer Alabama. It is also a song that my ancestors, when they did not have politics on their side, they didn't have resources, they have all any of those things, they knew that there was something inside of them that, No, you're not going to dehumanize me, You're not going to take away the Constitution is not what gives me my right to live.
Speaker 15: God has given me my right to live.
Speaker 22: And so I say that in this space that I wanted to bring the ancestors and the history and the long history of the ancestors and our resistance in this space, that that is a song of resilience, but it's also a song of resistance.
Speaker 15: And so in terms of going forward, there are four things.
Speaker 22: I'll be real quick because I think I'm turning into a I'm turning into a pot of sand Right now, I think there's four things and I'm calling I'm saying it in terms of this strategy around.
Speaker 38: Force.
Speaker 8: What we have to do.
Speaker 15: The first thing is around the forty five in this moment with people, we have to fortify ourselves. What does that mean? We have to protect our assets and our information.
Speaker 22: You cannot take for granted that all of the things that you have that is based on the computer that is going to be there. You need to download your documents, you need to protect your resources. My family who literally lived through the depression, my grandparents that raised me that born in nineteen o five and nineteen ten, they always kept money in the house. And part of what they said is the reason why they survived and our family survived during the Great Depression.
Speaker 15: Is because they didn't have their money in the banks.
Speaker 22: And so I know that that sounds a little like an alarmist, but you need to have two thousand dollars a minimum of two thousand.
Speaker 17: Dollars if you can.
Speaker 22: If you have that that you got set aside that at any moment you can touch it, because if your bank card goes down, what you're gonna do?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 15: And so I think it's really important for us to really think differently.
Speaker 22: We have to think in terms of a self determination model on how we're gonna protect ourselves and our assets in this moment. When I say protect your information, you have to check your sources, y'all. Part of what is happening is there are people who are intentionally giving us misinformation and disinformation. Check your sources and where you're getting information from, double triple of check that right. The next thing, the next as we're talking about from forty five, we've got to focus.
Speaker 15: It's really important for us to be think about what it is that we need in this moment.
Speaker 22: You know, we talked about earlier on this segment that we were on that we've got to connect to black farmers, that we've got to figure out where we can get our basic needs met. When we're talking about social security cuts, y'all need to understand the fifty eight percent of single Black adults over the age that are retirement age, ninety percent of their income comes from social security.
Speaker 15: Ninety percent of their income comes from social security.
Speaker 22: It will be devastating to our communities in terms of how will they live, how will they feed themselves, how will they protect themselves? So it's important for us not just to talk about how are we going to stop it depend on them, but how we're going to have and use our institutions and structures to be able to fortifyre people and focus our work so that we can protect our people in this moment. And so that means we have to think like black We have to think in terms of black determination models and these self determination models. All of those churches know, you cannot have a church and you just open on Sunday. That has to become a community black space. If you have institution, you have business that has to be if it needs to be a meeting space. We've got to look in this moment of how do we create and think as nation builders in this moment. The third thing that I want to say is really about this fight that we the way that we fight. We're used to fighting when we have federal protections in place. We're used to fighting, particularly those of us that live in the races South, we've actually fought in the ways that we would actually use federal legislation, federal government to really be able to hold our states accountable. When that is not in place, how do we protect our people? Part of what we really got to be super super focused is local control. We need to take over every single and the wonderful thing about black folks is we like to live together, so oftentimes we live in spaces that we have we have substantial numbers where we can take over school boards, that we can take over local local elections. It has we have to focus on local control as much as possible, the mayor's races, the DA races, the local judgeships.
Speaker 15: The fourth and the final thing.
Speaker 22: That I'll say really is we have to really it will not be our politics to save us, y'all.
Speaker 15: It will be our humanity. But we can no longer just think about citizens of a.
Speaker 22: Boot deggnation that ad will believes that we are at the whimsical nature of white racist folks.
Speaker 15: We have to think like founders of a new nation.
Speaker 22: We have to really think differently, that we're not just citizens, but that we're founders of something different and what does that mean.
Speaker 15: We have to really be thinking about how will we protect and provide for our people in this moment, the basic needs of food.
Speaker 22: Shelter, our resources, and literally one of the things I want us to do, don't spend no money.
Speaker 15: We cannot spend money in this moment. Why unless we're.
Speaker 22: Spending money with our communities and with things that we need. Don't take for granted that the eggs are fourteen dollars. Now with the tear for this trade war, it is going to have a substantial impact on us. So this is not the moment to go by your Gucci bag. This is not the moment to go and spend on Amazon. This is not the Momba, and we ain't trying to get them our money.
Speaker 15: No, that are gonna wait anyway.
Speaker 22: So I think it's really important in this moment that we really see a o money and if you are going to spend some money, to invest some money, invest it in a black organization that is leading this work, someone that you know that is on the front line doing this work with us.
Speaker 15: Ten dollars. I see my brother Quinn James with Collective.
Speaker 22: Pack, I see David, all these organizations I see Shamon that are doing amazing work.
Speaker 15: Write ten dollars, twenty dollars past.
Speaker 22: The mic that has been standing in this space really making sure that our communities are protected, those of us who have been marginalized, and so in that I'll just say, in this moment I'm a leave with a question. I always ask this question everywhere we go, everywhere I speak, I ask the question. I ask people to close their eyes and my question to them is what would this nation look like without racism?
Speaker 15: What would the institutions look like? What would a day look like?
Speaker 22: And and everywhere I go, ninety five percent most of the time, nobody has been asked that question. And if you don't think we're not thinking about it, certainly we don't think the other folks thinking about it. So we got to shape change the paradigm in this moment and ask ourselves every single day what would this nation look like without racism? Because racism is not my birthright? And what will it require for us to build in that? And so we've got to be moving on that, because I will tell you this, there's not been anything that has ever existing in the physical realm that wasn't first envision.
Speaker 15: Somebody had to envision the cell phone, someone.
Speaker 22: Had to envision this, Somebody had to envision a a racist concept around what it means, around this white supremacy hierarchy. So those of us, we who believe in freedom, we also have to see ourselves as visionaries and We've got to radically reimagine every single system in this country instead of us responding to the limited vision of others that don't want to see us in power. We've got to literally create the systems that every child can get fed. We've got to create systems that we can actually have health care for all of Guy's children. We've got to create the systems that's really about a wholesome education. So think shift, you're thinking, it's not citizens of this, but go beyond that. We have to be founders of a new nation, a founders of a nation that's yet unborn. And part of that is going to require us having a discipline to lean into that, to really use our imagination, our innovation and self determination to move forward.
Speaker 1: Thank you Angela, Thank you Ntasha, thank you. Yes are almost open. We've been joined you all by.
Speaker 5: Another history maker.
Speaker 1: I so wanted to go to Jamal and Tamika and Angelo to talk about not spending money.
Speaker 5: Y'all hold that thought, because we got to get to We got a queen. They might not be no kings in that house, but we have a queen amongst that. She is the CBC chairwoman.
Speaker 1: She's one of my former bosses congress Woman he Vet Clark from Brooklyn.
Speaker 5: She gonna show Donald Trump what time it is.
Speaker 1: You can see he's a real gang say he don't want to mess with Congressoman Clark. She's here. Tell us how you're feeling, Miss Clark. What is your impression of tonight? And where do we go from here? These are soldiers who are walking alongside of you, who have your back horse surrounding you. We need to see you succeed, and so we want to hear from you tonight. How are you feeling and what are you thinking?
Speaker 39: Well, first of all, let me thank you family for coming together in this moment to provide our community with the undergirding, the understanding, the education and information we need for this movement.
Speaker 14: In this moment.
Speaker 39: Uh, there's a there's a Maga fest, a Maga rally going on in the House chambers in this moment. And you know, I didn't expect anything less than a maga Uh.
Speaker 14: You know, parade and and and and.
Speaker 6: And pump and and circumstance and it is.
Speaker 39: You know, listen, I think he's essentially run out of the greatest hits, so he's on repeat in this moment. The challenge around that though, is that, uh, he he's got folks around him that are ready and willing to implement the craziest of policies and and all aimed at, of course, raising up white supremacy as the operating system of the United States of America. So when I heard sister Latasha Brown just talk about very I think, fundamental things that we need to be doing as a community, She's absolutely right, and I believe that, certainly there are so many of us who have come together around sort of like mind in this moment crystallizing where our communities need to go. We need to buy black and we've been talking this for years, for generations. Quite frankly, we need to undergird each other with knowledge and information so that our folks are not constantly consuming the misinformation and the lies that they that permeate social media feeds. We need to be able to make sure that we are on the ground and the CBC is ready to get on the bus.
Speaker 14: We are not taking this moment for granted.
Speaker 39: We know that we need to be felt, we need to be touched on the ground, and so starting in the month of April, we will be on the move across this nation, educating, informing, mobilizing, encouraging, empowering our folks to see this moment as our sort of generational moment where we have to envision a nation, as Latasha Brown is said, uh, where we center ourselves as the as the as the focus in the fabric of a democracy.
Speaker 14: What does that mean, you know?
Speaker 39: And what does it mean to operate in a space where we are valued and we value each other. This is just one of those moments, sister Angela Rai, And you know that's constantly reinforced for us, I believe each and every day, when you have one in five federal workers coming from the black community, when you have this constant drum beat around the dismantling of diversity, equity, and inclusion. When you have all of these sort of factors, add to that the fact that the cost of living continues to escalate, compounded by these tariffs that Donald.
Speaker 14: Trump is insisting on putting into.
Speaker 39: Place, our folks are certainly hurting economically and otherwise.
Speaker 14: And so we have to, I believe, make.
Speaker 39: Sure that our folks are handling business in an unconventional way that we move forward with and encouraging our people to shop among our people for those basic goods and services I think against Sister Brown said, this is not the time for luxury goods. It has never really been that time as far as I'm concerned. But you know, listen, everyone is entitled to their own tastes. However, there are many designers, Black designers that can offer just as good, if not better in terms of quality and what the goods and services they provide, and we.
Speaker 14: Need to raise them up.
Speaker 39: Those will be our corporate entities if we pour into them in the way that we've poured into so many of the others who have now turned their back on us.
Speaker 14: I'm also working with the CBC, and I'm going to close on.
Speaker 39: This sin sta Agela on a program, if you will, a communications program called what side are You on? This is not a moment where folks can be one foot in one camp and one foot in the other. Either you're with the Black community with the development of who we are as a people, or you're not. There's no middle ground, and so that will be another part of what we will be embarking upon as members of the Congressional Black Caucus, fifty eight strong here in the House of Representatives and four straw in the US Senate, the largest number of black federal elected representatives in the.
Speaker 14: History of this nation.
Speaker 39: This is all of our moment, and we're going to do everything that we must do on the legislative event to hold the line. But we're also going to be in these streets talking to our people because in less than eighteen months there will be another election, and we've got to make sure that our folks are are focused on the power of the franchise and what it means for their own liberation. With that, as we say here since the Angela Rie, I'm gonna yield back the balance of my time.
Speaker 1: Well, don't you just yet, because I just want to get clarity for our audience. This was the one quick question I have for you. You said there is there is a Magga rally going on. Does that mean, Congresswoman that you also left, did the rest of this Congressional Black August lead?
Speaker 6: There are still members in the chambers?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 39: I am back in my office. I you know, I just felt like I knew what was next in the lineup of greatest hits. I didn't need to sit there, uh to to know, you know, what words we're going to be thrown at whom and what have you?
Speaker 17: He is Let me just say this, what was the point for you?
Speaker 5: What was the tip? What was the moment where you like, okay.
Speaker 14: Now got tired? I just got tired.
Speaker 2: I just got tired.
Speaker 39: And he shook quite frankly, the fact that that that that the Democrats have been sitting silently raising signs, where's my son? Let me show you my sign raising signs occasionally during his speech.
Speaker 14: It has shook the man.
Speaker 39: He has been trying to find a way to get under the skin of Democrats and we haven't been paying him any minds.
Speaker 14: So most of what you're seeing he's directing directly to the MAGA crowd.
Speaker 39: And remember the House of Representatives is essentially split half and half, so we're only separated by two seats. So it's a massive blow to his ego that he's not getting any applause and he's standing up for the foolishness that he's trying.
Speaker 14: To pull off in the chambers of the House.
Speaker 1: Right now, well, speaking of foolishness, that took place in the chamber of the House, Mark Thompson, our colleague, is with Melanie Stansbury, who had her sign snatched by a Republican and she's standing live with Mark Thompson right now. We're go to Mark Congressman. Please stick around if you can't. I know you're tired, so we don't want to keep you too late, but I would love for you to hear what she says happened.
Speaker 2: And if you do have to go, we first had knowledge it was bad new glasses. She got already too.
Speaker 40: You know, this always an iconic fashion, always every day, all day, every day.
Speaker 2: So cong Truom stands, but kN Truom stands very by the way. Folks is from Albuquerque, New Mexico, and she last year was your first trip to Selma. You came to sel Malsh. She's coming back this weekend.
Speaker 33: Yeah, see you guys this weekend if anyone's going down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what happened? You had us? So what did your sign say? What did it?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 40: Well, so a lot of us on the floor plan to do our form of protests. You know, we showed up for Donald Trump's town hall, just like Americans are showing up for town halls all over America. And just like Americans, we heard, had our voices heard, and I had a sign as he walked in that said this is not normal. And as I was standing there behind Donald Trump, some young man from Texas snatched out of my hand.
Speaker 33: And threw it over the President's head.
Speaker 40: And you know, I'm not gonna I'm not going to pretend like, you know, this is normal and that what's happening in America is just something that should we should sit down and take.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, so who you know, I mean, who was it?
Speaker 25: You know who?
Speaker 40: It was a congressman from Texas, but I don't know his name, Golden something, Yeah, and he just.
Speaker 33: I mean, it was very I was obviously in the frame.
Speaker 40: Marjorie Taylor Green was facing me, and I think folks were trying to get it out of my hands, so they just pulled out of my hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does that violate any rules of protocol? Can someone just snatch something out of your hand and through it?
Speaker 33: You know, I listen, I'm not going to make a big deal about it.
Speaker 40: You know, if they want to be children, if they want to have their Maga party on the house floor, if they want to play games with us, they can do whatever they want.
Speaker 33: And I'm you know, I'm not gonna lie. I grew up in Albuquerque. I was ready to fight, but that is not how I wanted to end my evening.
Speaker 2: So did you know they get down to Albuquerque like that? I don't know how, now I know, so we need to know.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, Congress I have a quick question, congresswoman. Has it always been like this from from the on set in January? Was there ever a brief window? A brief window? Well, y'all thought, maybe we can get across the al and get some of the station done. Or is this just an escalation of where you all fully expected to be at this point in the first hundred days.
Speaker 40: You know, I tried to come in with an open mind, but when I let me, let me be real. The inauguration was on doctor Martin Luther King Junior day. I did not come back to Washington, d C. I chose to be home in my community, celebrating the holiday with my community. But when I saw the images on television of Elon Musk and these billionaires and his cabinet yucking it up, I knew that it was not going to be normal. And then he went down to the stadium and are assigning these executive orders. But I was like, Okay, I'm still going to give it a minute. In fact, I'm the ranking member of the highest ranking Democrat, the Doge Subcommittee, and my chairwoman in that committee is Marjorie Taylor Green. I even went and sat with her in her office for an hour and we smiled and pretended like we could have some bipartisan conversations, and then we showed up for that very first committee hearing, and she did what she does, and I think, you know that is essentially evaporated.
Speaker 33: So we know what's up.
Speaker 40: We're going to be in the fight. We're the resistance for the next couple of years. And you know, as the Reverend said, eighteen months is right around the corner, so we got to start organizing.
Speaker 2: Now, let me ask you this, Of all the terrible things he's done, he was a million a day, which ones are most threatening and most impactful to your district in Albuquerque?
Speaker 40: I mean all of them, right, I mean day one, he signs this executive order essentially taking out all of the diversity, equity and inclusion offices and and staff. New Mexico is a minority majority state. We are a state that is black, brown, indigenous, and that is an attack on the people of New Mexico. This executive order he signed two days ago making English the only language of the United States. It is in our state constitution that Spanish is the other language of New Mexico. He's literally violating the state constitution of New Mexico because the border crossed.
Speaker 33: Us by the way. So there is so much that he's doing.
Speaker 40: Every single day, he's firing thousands of New Mexicans. He's you know, these cuts that they're proposing in New Mexico, over seventy percent of our.
Speaker 33: People are on Medicare and Medicaid.
Speaker 40: That will not only lead to literally probably the vast majority of New Mexicans losing healthcare, our entire healthcare system could collapse.
Speaker 33: So we're not going to sit here in Stanford.
Speaker 2: I think in Consmanclark we kind of touched on his Zerila because I don't know if you really understand ruin Angela when they say it come up a minut. We only think of anyone context. But Medicaid also undergirds those who don't have Medicaid and keeps hospitals up. So when you take away Medicaid, you jam and everybody.
Speaker 40: Oh yeah, this is what I'm saying, is like, if you take away Medicaid, every hospital in the state of New Mexico is going to go bankrupt. So if you think it's hard to get into see a specialist right now after they got Medicaid, all of that's going away. This is not just going to affect low income people, but it is going to affect low income people. And as somebody who grew up in the system, somebody who would not be standing here today if it weren't for income supports and Medicaid and food stamps.
Speaker 33: You know, it is to me not only.
Speaker 40: Immoral and unconscionable, but it's going to tear apart the fabric of our country.
Speaker 2: So Albuquerque, you want to go, get you. We wanna get your sign back. Should we go get a beck, let's go.
Speaker 33: We're gonna go down, y'op.
Speaker 5: Please stay out of jail, y'all.
Speaker 33: Please out of you.
Speaker 5: But thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 1: I want to turn really quickly to we had some encouragement around not spending money. Our dear brother's head was plastered on a sign at the White House just a few weeks ago during a Black History Month reception. That is Reverend Jamal Bryant also here from until Freedom, Our Angelo Pino and Tamika Mallory. Y'all we have to get into this because Latasha brought up Amazon. She brought up we don't need no designer goods. But we're also talking about Target. Jamal, you have exceeded one hundred thousand signers on this pledge around the Target fast. I want you to get into that, and Tamika and Angela I want to hear from you.
Speaker 5: As well on that.
Speaker 21: Thank you, and good evening everybody. This is what doctor King called the urgency of now.
Speaker 41: It is a critical moment and we no longer have the question of community or chaos.
Speaker 21: It is absolute chaos, which is why we need community.
Speaker 41: I want to take a note really from across the border from ideal leader of Canada who said, I don't want to, but I'm.
Speaker 21: Gonna have to cut the power.
Speaker 41: Is the I supply the Prime Minister said of power to four different states, and you're forcing my hand.
Speaker 21: I think that black people don't realize how.
Speaker 41: Much power we wield with two trillion dollars worth of spending power. And what has happened today at Target for them to say that they're spending their growth has gone down because of the economy and recession and tariffs. When the tariffs just started today, it is a reflection of what our power is. Black people Angelus spend twelve million dollars a day at target. If we redirect that to our own ecosystem, what will that mean? The Montgomery bus boycott absolutely destabilized the South, not from speeches, but from redirected spend day. And so I think that when it is that we saw the inauguration on January twentieth and saw who was on the front row, it was not cabinet ministers, it was those who wield wealth, which suggests that's what this president responds to. The wealth of what it is that we have has got to be redirected until we take white supremacy down to their knees. They don't even understand that the next step after civil rights is civil rights. Doctor King was assassinated because he was mobilizing the poor People's campaign, and they understand were marginalize and oh press, poor people come together.
Speaker 21: A revolution has to start.
Speaker 41: A super bad system from Harvard University said, we don't even need one hundred percent participation, We just need three percent.
Speaker 21: If three percent of the populace do what a lot.
Speaker 41: Of our brave brothers and sisters did today and walk out and live their voice.
Speaker 21: I think America is going to come to a screeching halt.
Speaker 41: We've got enough power to do it, just within a number of people who are on today for the twenty four hours. And let's not undermine or belittle the strength of what happened with the blackout on Friday. America is about to have an asthma attack and a hype up imolator because we understand what our worth is, we know what our value is, and we've got to withhold our funds in order for the revolution to move forward. I'm excited about it. We start tomorrow on Ash Wednesday. This thrust of this target fast because we wanted to interlope the spiritual property of what's necessary. While it is that we're strategizing, we have historically also been a spiritual and a praying people, and so over the next forty days, I want to urge all of us to galvanize in prayer.
Speaker 21: And not lose our spiritual focus and force.
Speaker 41: Every day, three hundred and eighty one days, black people in Montgomery, after not getting on the bus, went back to the church to pray, and let's be very clear. We are now going up against a demonic, diabolical spirit in America.
Speaker 21: It is not just a person, it is a spirit that.
Speaker 41: Is afoot on the weapons of our warfare now, Cornell, and so we've got to really go in the prayer. But Frederick Douglass said it much better than me. He said, I got more prayers answered when I got off my knees. So we can't just pray. We've got to really go in the fighting force. And so in the spirit of Hazel Duke's, let's fight even when it's uncalled for. So that's the necessary calling and the beating drum that we've got an answer to. I'm glad to be a part of it and excited about what we're going to do over the next forty days.
Speaker 5: Jama, share the website one more time.
Speaker 21: Yes, targetfast dot org.
Speaker 41: And let me say to you that when it is that you are registered at Target Force, we have a partner with the Black Chamber of Commerce. We're going to send you out a digital directory of three hundred thousand black businesses across the United States, so you can redirect your dollars away from Target and Walmart. And we're gonna send you a forty day prayer journal so that we can prayer way through a lot of our people.
Speaker 21: Angela burned out, they tie it, they weary, they.
Speaker 42: Want and they say it.
Speaker 41: But I think that we've got to find that synergy, to find that second win and run to it.
Speaker 17: Ry.
Speaker 8: I know you had something, Well, no, I'll let let's let uh, Tomicky Mallory come in and I'll I'll let you all. Do you know can you see them saying no, No.
Speaker 5: We got to bring everybody in because we only got so much time. You know, we under our left y'all have.
Speaker 8: You know, I got to be quiet. You know, black women, you all got a black women and then I have my question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mararathon through this thing. So we're all we got a little less than an hour left to me. Ka Mallory and Angelo Pinto on this same topic, you all have been actively engaged around the target fast and I would love to hear from you all your perspective. There's been a lot of folks saying, hey, you know, why are we going to boycott something or fast from something when there are black brands on the shelves?
Speaker 5: So about that, right?
Speaker 1: So I think that it's a good time to talk about tactics, how we stick together. I learned on my podcast recently a Native Lampid with Andrew Gillim that only ten percent of black folks in Montgomery actually participated in boycotts. Never knew, never knew, And they want to burn the books. I'm still learning they're trying to burn the books.
Speaker 8: Roy.
Speaker 5: So you guys tell us a little bit about why it's important for.
Speaker 1: Us to stay united in this fight with Reverend Jamal Bryant and untel freedom.
Speaker 6: Certainly, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: And to everyone, I see family, new people, just so many different faces here and it's been really inspirational and feeling to be among this amazing group of individuals evening, and you know, just want to join Jamal first of all in saying.
Speaker 5: Everybody, well to me, hold on because I that's what's going on.
Speaker 1: Congresswoman Waters, yo, hello, we heard you, so we thought that man, you were reclaiming your time, so you now have the floor. We want to know why you chose not to participate in the State of the Union tonight.
Speaker 5: Please tell us why.
Speaker 14: Thank you so much. Angela.
Speaker 43: You know me very well, and you know that I was not about to put up with that bullshit that he was going to talk about tonight. You know that I think he is the most deporable, dishonest, no good man that I've ever encountered in my life. He has insulted us, He's insulted the American people. He's a sexual, sexual predi. He's everything absolutely awful that you can describe in a human being.
Speaker 14: I've never met anything like him before. Antel.
Speaker 43: You know you've been out there in Los Angeles. I've worked with gang members, the grips, the bloods, everybody. I've never encountered anybody like Trump. Trump is a person without a conscience. He will lie at the drop of a hat, and he knows that you know that he's lying, but he continues to lie. What he did tonight was, first of all, he continued the lives about all of the Mexicans, all of the people coming from you know, the countries of you know, Mexico and Guatemala and everybody.
Speaker 14: What he talked about was, had.
Speaker 43: You believe that they're all rapists and they're all murderers, and they're all this, and they're all that. Continuing to pump up the lie that he has used as his number one issue to divide and to create hate and to have something that he could point to to keep the American people believing that he had to protect them from. So it was pretty awful, and I really did not like the way he used the tragic incidents and the families that were there, who of course appreciated. You know, what they think is their president caring about what happened, you know, to the twelve year old and to others who were victims, and we all feel sad and bad for them, but.
Speaker 14: He misused them.
Speaker 43: He misused them, and what he did was he focused on them instead of focusing on the real issues that we're dealing with now and the harm that he's creating for workers by telling them get out of their office by three o'clock, by five o'clock. You know what, that reminds me of the sundown towns who would tell black people had to be out of town about five o'clock before dark.
Speaker 14: You know, he's still dishonorable human being that he's always been.
Speaker 43: It is so sad that we're going through this kind of change right before our very eyes, as he and Elon Musk move into all of the agencies and departments of government, shutting them down of firing people, doing everything that they can to basically make sure that this country is ruled by the white billionaires that showed up with him at inauguration time.
Speaker 14: What he sang to all of us, we're getting ready to run this country the way that we want to run it. We're getting rid of all.
Speaker 43: These regulations that have protected people in the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Speaker 14: We're getting ready hug with all.
Speaker 43: Of them money that's going to housing and to the homeless and all of those people in urban areas that don't deserve it. All of those messages, for me, were continuing messages that he has put for for a long time, long before this election. But it's not nice to say, but I told you so when he first ran. I told everybody that he should have been impeached. When we got into it, we didn't do it right. We waited too long, we didn't use the right issues, etc. And unfortunately we got him back. But let me hear from the other people that you have.
Speaker 14: On the poground tonight. I have to talk about this thing all night.
Speaker 1: We have one of your colleagues who had joined you, and she's someone who regularly says she stands on your soldiers. He says, whatever Max says we're doing, We're doing. That is Jasmine Crockett, who chose to go to the State of the Union side, but she also chose to walk out, So she's right here, Jasmine.
Speaker 14: Okay, hey, yes, listen.
Speaker 1: For sure, Max is an og just like Al Green.
Speaker 31: I follow their lead.
Speaker 1: I thank God for them, I really do, especially in this time. You know, as one of the younger members in the Congress, it is so important to have people that are always going to give us a sobering message about the moment.
Speaker 17: That we're in.
Speaker 1: And as y'all just heard, she did not hold back. She gonna call that motherfucker what he is at all time. So and I'm here for you. What y'all don't know is we both from Saint Louis. Listen, we from the show Me State. Okay, this is what you get out of Saint Louis. But I am so eternally great. As I was trying to figure out what I was gonna do, I was on the phone calling Max and trying to figure it out.
Speaker 31: And one of the things that we wanted to do was we want to make.
Speaker 1: Sure that there was space that was hell for us, and if we did not show up, then what they were going to do is just put seat fillers in. And I wanted to make sure that the space that you know, my ancestors bled and died for that I occupied that space.
Speaker 31: But I also got the privilege to walk the hell out of it.
Speaker 1: And so that's exactly what we did, so that he could have those empty seats sitting there and that our messages would be seen. Even if he decided he didn't want to hear us, he was going to fill us in our actions, and so I didn't just want to sit there and not flap, but instead I wanted to make sure that I stood up in defiance and I turned my back on him like he has turned his back on the American people, like he has turned his back on the Constitution, like he has turned his back on laws in this country. That is what I wanted to do, and I wanted the American people to know that while we may not have the numbers just yet, that doesn't mean that we don't have fight left in our bodies. And so I am going to fight him every step of the way until we get what we deserve. Because it was my ancestors that built this motherfucker.
Speaker 11: Okay, I'm done.
Speaker 6: Now I'm doing because the wordsman.
Speaker 14: Not only for what she just said, but she has been telling the fight.
Speaker 44: She has been every day, every week, whether she's in committee, what she's on the floor, whether she's in the streets, she has been telling what she has learned about him, his leadership.
Speaker 43: She's called him out, She's called out every dumbass that he's appointed to office while he's talking about getting rid of diversity, equity and inclusion and hiring some of the dumbest people, some of the most incommoned people in all of the agencies of government that he can get and then yes.
Speaker 14: Elon Musk, because Elon Musk had the money.
Speaker 21: To buy him.
Speaker 43: This was transactional. He put the money into his campaign and Trump turned it over to him. And we don't know everything that Elon Musk has done with his high technology asks. We don't know or what he's being accused of by some as.
Speaker 14: It may relate to the election.
Speaker 43: But we're not going to give up in investigating and finding out whether or not Elon Musk and all the people that he's got hired.
Speaker 14: In his business who are now working for him. We may be paying them through these.
Speaker 43: Dumb as false contracts that he's got that he's gotten so much money from.
Speaker 14: This billionaire is a billionaire.
Speaker 43: Because he's exploited the United States of America, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 14: So thank you, Jasmine. You continued to be whom you are. You walk as you tried to get everybody else to do.
Speaker 8: You tried.
Speaker 1: I'm so proud of the members that we're not afraid and decided that they will walk, because if I didn't have at least a group, then I just wasn't going to attend.
Speaker 11: So I am so thankful.
Speaker 1: I know y'all had a chance to hear from Melanie Stansbury, who is my writer out of New Mexico. We had to make sure we at least could do something as a unified group because saying, oh, there's only one person, and there's only two people, and I really wanted to show that there are more than just one person that is willing to engage in this fight. And if I could not get a group, then I just didn't want to do it. So I'm thankful for every soldier that decided to stand.
Speaker 8: Up and walk up Congress from Crockett and waters real quick, is the relationship between Democrats and Republics between now and midterms? Is it completely irreparable if we go on to war and just voting the mount in twenty twenty six, or is there any modicum of hope that we can come back from this between nine mid terms? The energy that was in the room tonight, I mean, let me just.
Speaker 43: Say that we have a good cause, a good democratic cause, And what we understand and appreciate is that people show their objections and their disagreements in different ways. And what we see building in this democratic conquerse is ways by which we're going to.
Speaker 14: Win this fight. We're going to win this fight.
Speaker 43: We're going to win this fight because I think what we're all understanding is this, we got to be in the streets. You know, it's not enough to be at home, you know, on the internet, you know, trying to convince people.
Speaker 14: They want us out there, they want to see us fighting.
Speaker 43: We are going to inspire people and help people to understand that the power lies.
Speaker 14: When we all are sticking together, when we're working.
Speaker 43: I believe that if we keep going to the streets and we grow and grow and grow our protests, we're going to have a lot of influence on the courts, who still have a lot of decisions to make. These decisions now are temporary, but we've got to get down to the decisions about whether or not what they're doing is in defiance of the Constitution, in defiance of the laws that have been signed by presidents, and what is the difference between an executive order and a law, and what is difference between an executive order and what's in the Constitution of America. And I think we can help the courts move even stronger. But they got to see us, They got to understand that we're.
Speaker 14: Willing to fight for what believed. And you know what, Hell, I'm in this fight. I'm in this fight, and I do believe that there are a lot of other people in this fight.
Speaker 43: And when they see an eighty six year old woman on the street fighting in the way that I certainly know how, I hope it is going to inspire a lot of people to come on out and join us.
Speaker 15: Is that right, Angela?
Speaker 5: That is absolutely right.
Speaker 45: And I'm gonna tell you what.
Speaker 14: I know right now.
Speaker 11: I was just gonna say that, listen, this is business.
Speaker 1: I am going into the backyards and anybody that I can take out, I'm gonna take them out.
Speaker 5: So I am gonna go I'm gonna figuratively.
Speaker 31: Yeah, but explain it. So because because because right.
Speaker 1: Now they have decided that they don't want to show up and be held accountable to the people that put them into power. They have made a decision the NRCC that they're not gonna do any more town halls in their districts. So if they're not going to show up and serve their people, then I'm gonna show up, and I'm gonna make sure that they know the truth about why they are cowering and why they are going and bending the knee to the Orange one instead of serving the people that made it possible for them to serve in this body. So no, it wasn't even a matter of tonight being the trigger. It was the fact that they decided that they were gonna go out. And while this man has allowed Elon Musk to turn off the money for bills that were signing too law by Joe Biden or any other president and decide that they are gonna abdicate their duties. That was when I decided that I was gonna be coming for all a seats, any seat that we can get.
Speaker 31: Just no, I'm coming for it.
Speaker 1: And when I say I'm coming for it, I'm not only showing up at their back door, but I'm also raising money.
Speaker 31: When I raise money, I give money, I spend money.
Speaker 14: I am in this to win this.
Speaker 1: Just like Max said, we gonna get this thing done by any means necessary. I'm gonna make sure money, organizing, showing up and doing the work that they don't want to do. We are absolutely gonna do it. And yes, I'm gonna do this stuff on social media too. I know Max said, you know, we gotta get up the computers, but I'm gonna do the computer stuff too. Well, this is amazing, ladies. We so appreciate you coming on. We love you, Jasmine, we love you, Congresswomen, Queen next, I love you. So I want to just quickly we you know, we were talking to some fighters. We were starting with Tamika and Angelo, and this is how you know MW's a gangster.
Speaker 5: Congress Waters came on. She didn't even have to say reclaiming my time. She just started talking it to me.
Speaker 1: I was like, else to say, edit, And I'm glad that they did that because I was getting ready to try to come with my hoop and I don't even have to do it.
Speaker 23: Till they already handled it for me.
Speaker 1: So I'll just go back to some technical points on this issue around UH Boycott's Angela. You asked a very important question about what do we do with black vendors that are on the stores and places like Target, and we talked about how you know, UH Pastor Bryant talked about the list that the Black Chamber of Commons has with black businesses that you can get your products from directly, as well as ensuring that the businesses in Target, specifically that we continue to support them. I want to bring into this conversation our sister Nina Turner, who was one of the first people to say that we needed to boycott Target for an extended period of time. Also our sister Nakima Armstrong, who is there in Minneapolis where the Target headquarters is located, holding local protests and meetings and organizing there on the ground. I just want to make sure that they are not missing in the context for how this boycott has come together. All I will say is that there's been a theme throughout this entire very powerful night and It's been about us engaging in the streets and getting with our people. And I want folks to know that I didn't wake up to a call about a boycott from a group of leaders.
Speaker 23: It came from the ground.
Speaker 1: It came into the comment section on almost every post that I could find where Target said that they were rolling back their diversity, equity and inclusion programs. People started saying, I will never go there again. I'm not shopping at Target. They said their feelings were hurt because Target, to them was a place that they went, especially as black women, as a safe space, and to see that they would cower to white supremacy and to this effort to take away what we believe is the gains of many of us, who many of us and of course people who came before us that fought so hard for us to have diversity, equity and.
Speaker 23: Inclusion in these spaces.
Speaker 1: They felt connected to this, and we responded as organizers to help put some structure around it. Jamal came forward with the list that he's created with over one hundred thousand names. So this is a ground up effort. And the reason why I bring that up is because as we talk about all of what has been discussed tonight. Important things I want us to remember the grassroots, the people who are out there who are still fighting to keep gun violence tamed in their community, to deal with the issues of food deserts and poverty and injustice that is happening to them locally, police violence, people calling us from inside of prisons who are dealing with the backlash of what they are seeing happening across the country, where white supremacy is even sparking.
Speaker 23: In those spaces behind the walls.
Speaker 1: Our people need us on so many different levels, and as Latasha said, let us remember to continue to give money and resources, whatever little bit we have, if we're holding it from target, take it, take half of it, put it under your mattress or wherever you want to save it, and take the other half and send it to a grassroots organizer or organization that is out there doing the consistent work that while we plan on a mass scale, it is important that we deal with every single issue we talked about here this evening.
Speaker 23: But we must not forget yet that there are people who.
Speaker 1: Are literally the thing between the trigger and the finger of a thirteen or fourteen year old child who might kill somebody tomorrow because their grandmother lost their job.
Speaker 23: And when we talk about.
Speaker 1: Federal workers, so it's really really serious and important to us that we continue to focus on those folks, that we listen to the voices of the people, and that the grassroots, that the people on the ground be really at the center of all.
Speaker 23: Of our organizing. We say it until freedom that the people.
Speaker 1: Who are closest to the problem must be at the center of the solutions that we put forth in our society. And we want to make sure that everybody here, whoever you are, wherever you're organizing, let's ensure that we diversify. We want to talk about diversity, equity, and inclusion outside in the world. Let us diversify every single space that we are working in to ensure that our people, all of our people are there to inform us as we go forward and do our work.
Speaker 5: God bless y'all, and I love y'all.
Speaker 45: And I'll just say I think that we're boycotting because we know we have to make America think again. Right, We need to make America think again. And the only way you make folks think is when you speak their language. So if their language is money, you gotta speak money or act money. If the language is votes, you got to act votes. If the language is viewership, you have to act viewership. And those of us who fight, we know that you have to fight on every front. And as Pastor Brian said, boycotts are really redirecting our spending. And the reason redirect our spending is because we know we must redistribute the pain. Black folks can't be the only folks in this moment who are feeling pain. And when we begin to redistribute how we spend, we can redistribute some of that pain. And a big piece of that is really showing our outrage. We often say we're not outraged in the US, but when we begin to change our actions, we show our outrage. And the outrage must be paired with action. It must be paired with consistent action. And for us, the message that we're really trying to send the folks is you can vote with your pocketbook. You can vote with your bank account, you could vote with your viewership, you can vote with every vehicle. We have power, and black folks have a lot of power. Don't listen to anyone who says you don't have power, but every place you have it, you must send a message to the gatekeepers that we're going to use the power so that black folks can get the things we need and not be oppressed any longer. We also always say we need to build something different. I think this moment has showed us that we need something different more than ever. But not only do we need something different, black folks gotta be the ones that build the something different. And in this moment, I think the biggest lesson of all is we have to begin to build things that can't be rolled back. We cannot build more things that a new administration, a new whoever, can come into position and roll it back. And I believe the only things they can't roll back is when we spend with ourselves. The only thing they can't roll back is when we vote for black folks who carry our agenda. The only thing they can't roll back is when we organize like this to deliver messages we know our people need. So for me, the more we organize, the more we move together, the more we can build institutions plans that they can't roll back.
Speaker 2: So that's what we do.
Speaker 8: What if you all found Angelo and Tamika, First off, thank you all for what you all have been putting together with regards to this, what have you all found over the years and years of activism that you've done, it's the most effective way of getting other black folks on board. Like Mama whole side is from Clarksdale, Mississippi. Pretty much every store there is a store connected to a bigger conglomerate that rolled back Dee and I. So when you're trying to get them to understand, hey, here's something you can order from an independent vendor. There's tiktoks now of people going in target and basically putting the camera in front of black and brown folks and like essentially using shame as a tactic. There's education as a tactic. What have you all found has been the best way to get more people to understand the value and everything that you all are trying to trying to get done.
Speaker 1: So I would say that we only go at it a few times and then we keep it moving and roll with the ones who want to get with it, and usually more people come along as time goes on. As long as we're disciplined, you begin to see other people saying, let me peep my head outside the door and see what's going on, and maybe I'll join that fight. And so I think that's, you know, obviously very important that we stay consistent, which is not always easy, but it also helps when we are working with like mind individuals and when we empower local voices to help lead those movements, and that they don't feel we're telling them what to do, but instead that they are a part of the process for how things come together. And so I think that a lot of people are feeling like they are part of this movement because largely Black women, who are everyday moms, everyday sisters living in their communities, are the ones whose voices were first, you know, in this fight, and so I think empowering them is so important, you know, And I totally understand what you mean, because we do have the challenge of trying to.
Speaker 23: Get everybody, but that has never been the case.
Speaker 5: Angela.
Speaker 1: You talked about the percentage of people who actually participated in the bus boycott, and even all of those people didn't start at the beginning. It took time for them to see a couple of things. One to be ashamed to keep trying to get on the bus when everybody else was making sure that they walk right on past it, and I think that's what.
Speaker 14: That's what.
Speaker 1: That's one of the tactics that we also use is to let our folks know you look kind of crazy going and target while the rest of us are standing outside.
Speaker 45: And I would say black people are really a people of rhythm.
Speaker 8: Right, oh oh, I think are trying.
Speaker 1: To Yes, y'all, let me tell you something. We have twenty six minutes. I got some leaders in you. We got some of the most really get black minds in the world on here. I gotta do a rapid round because Holly told me what one thing that we're gonna do is be twenty four hours, so we're not going over time.
Speaker 5: We got so much more we need to say and do.
Speaker 1: That means we got to have a part two, three, four nineteen. But I gotta get these brilliant voices in so I love y'all. Were gonna keep talking about this on social were and keep going. I'm gonna go first to Bernice King because you just brought up Montgomery bus boycotts to me. God, I want to go to you, doctor King, and then I want to make sure we get to your colleagues.
Speaker 5: If we can all try to keep our remarks to one and a half minutes or less. We gotta get everybody in. There's so many great voices.
Speaker 1: Kimberly krinschyaw joined us, Doctor Dyson, Maya, everybody wants you to run for mayor Maya. I mean, come on, we gotta go, we gotta get we gotta go.
Speaker 5: Doctor Burney's king. It's joined us.
Speaker 15: Yeah, thank you, and good evening everybody. I just wanted to say this. This is one of those Nie and Mayan moments. Me in my four nineteen says the work is great and extensive, and we are widely separated on the wall. But when we hear the sound of the trump, I mean trumpet, we must rally together and our God will fight for us. So I want to thank you Angela, you Joy and others for pulling this moment together in response to the trump.
Speaker 14: It in this hour?
Speaker 15: What does that mean? My father said, And I'm gonna do it real quick in this book.
Speaker 45: Where do we go from here? Chaos and community?
Speaker 15: It's a part we overlooked so often, he said, I'm Nettles task is to discover how to organize our strength into compelling power so that the government cannot elude our demands. Or I would say so that the power structures cannot elude our demands. I want to applaud everybody on here for everything you're doing to keep my father's legacy moving forward. And I just want to challenge us, just real quick, because this is very a key point here. Oftentimes we organize around passion, we organize around frustration, we organize around yes, need, But how often do we organize around strength? How do we pull our strengths together, look at what is needed to deal with what we're trying to do, and organize those strengths. And so I want to maybe it exists, I don't know, but we need a war room. That's the first thing. The second thing is I want to thank you for what you're doing and say please, Angela. I texted you today, I said, continue this platform. Because Trump has two platforms true social and X that he's communicating consistently rapid fire. We need something on a daily basis because that misinformation has to be challenged consistently. Many people are misinformed and they are impressionable, and so we need this information. So much truth was shared today that people don't know. So thank you and kudos for bringing all of those different elements together. And then find it, which is a hard one. I'm Doctor King's daughter. I embrace fully nonviolence. I'm not perfect at it, but it is the best way to move forward. It is strategic. It gives us the spiritual discipline that we need and the soul force we need. And I have a dream speech and I close with this, he reminded everybody who was on a threshold of freedom and justice, and this is another part we missed.
Speaker 14: And I have a dream.
Speaker 15: In his words, he said, we must forever and that's an underlying and a bold and aalis. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. And so every day we got to prepare our minds, we got to prepare our spirits because this is a marathon. And then finally, as we're doing what we're doing now in this season, in this moment, we have to figure out the strategy, the strategies to change the numbers in Congress. There's a strategy to do that, not just registering the vote. But I love what Bernie did to go to the Trump voters. We got to think outside of the box to get those three numbers that are needed in the midterm. There's some elections coming up in April. It may be too late for that, but anyway, I just want to leave you with that.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much, Angela.
Speaker 21: I appreciate you.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much, Doctor Renie's King.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go next to Maya Wiley from the Lawyers com Meete and I'm sorry not the Lawyers Comity Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, and then Mark Morial, President of National Early, Kimberly Crenshaw African American Policy Forum. Please, folks, let's get it in, but we want to make sure we're briefing. We get everybody else in Miami.
Speaker 5: Start with you.
Speaker 46: Well, first of all, let me just say I'm gonna be very brief just how grateful I am for all the wisdom, all of the action, all of the activism that we've already heard. I am just going to say one thing that we have not talked about. We are talking about a madman who has promised to weaponize the military against our communities. And one of the ways he's going to do it is an addition to protests. Because that was one and we heard that from Congressman Frost. But the other is by Bill Fine. Immigrants and trying to come for our constitutional rights on birthrights, citizenship, which we as black people in the civil rights movement want, because the beginning of the first civil rights movement was the abolition of slavery. But the reason I'm raising this is because we've already had a man, Peter Sean Brown, the black man in Florida, who was three days he was only three days away from being deported, and he was born in Philadelphia, you know, and in our history we have a lot of black people who were put into detention because they were believed not to be citizens even though they were. So the only reason I'm saying this is the weaponizing, just like they're doing with diversity, equity, inclusion, and say all the three words because they don't say it because people actually like diversity, people actually think it's a good thing. They like inclusion. But they're also using it to come for immigrants. We have African immigrants, we have immigrants, we have Afro Latino immigrants. But what the Lake and Riley law did, which is what they were celebrating, what Democrats also clapped for and voted for, is they are given permission to racial profiling.
Speaker 6: And that means us.
Speaker 46: Whether or not we are citizen whether or not we were born here. So I just want to remind us of that as well as everything everyone else has said, because we won these rights.
Speaker 14: These are civil rights.
Speaker 46: These are about black people in our communities, both black people who are immigrants, but also the way they catch us up in their system and by the way they will use the military and our communities to look for us. So I only say that not to say we don't have anything we can do about it, but that we can't stay silent on that one either, because it is the silence that they're relying on and telling us that we shouldn't trust our own Thank you.
Speaker 8: Then intimidate and dare the media to report it as fat and then called the facts. Last I'm sorried. Ton't mean to add more sadness on top of your sadness.
Speaker 5: But yes, thank you Mark and Kimberly.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, thank you very much. Angela.
Speaker 38: First of all, I want to thank you Angela and the entire team for hosting this tonight, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to be able to participate in to just add this, what we are facing is an attack and a war on civil rights, a war on.
Speaker 8: The last seventy years to surbrim decision.
Speaker 38: Every single action being undertaken seeks to repeal the progress we've made and to erase.
Speaker 8: Our contributions to this nation.
Speaker 38: If this is not a wake up call for this generation that had the opportunity to walk through doors, stand on shoulders, avail themselves of opportunities, because the hard, sweat and struggles of others are parents and grandparents and ancestors, then I don't know what we'll wake us up. So I'm grateful and excited to see the activism, selective purchasing. We're bringing litigation. We've brought litigation with the help of the Legal Defense Fund, against three Trump executive orders. There's been litigation brought against the freeze and on behalf of the employees of federal employees. We have to stand together, and the most important thing is for everybody to do something.
Speaker 8: Get off the couch, get out.
Speaker 38: Of your comfort zone, and recognize that this is a threat to the last seventy years and we're defining the future for our children and our children's children.
Speaker 8: Project twenty twenty five is real. We're seeing it being executed, we're seeing it.
Speaker 38: Being implemented and they want to bend this country to an autocracy and reinstate white supremacy as the operating and governing principles.
Speaker 8: So I just think that tonight is just another step. Angela. We got to continue these conversations. We've got to continue to energize and excite people.
Speaker 38: So I'm grateful to be a part will continue to play our role to the best of our abilities. I'll see everyone who being Selma and Selma on Saturday and Sunday as we as we celebrate and note and mark the milestone of Bloody Sunday sixty years ago.
Speaker 5: You really are up, yes, Angela.
Speaker 42: I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that this is happening, and also how impressed I am. I was watching you last night around this time, and you are still looking good. So thank you and many many props to you. Listen, here's the main thing I want to remind us of. We have been here before. We know that this is the same thing that happened to us after Reconstruction. We know what violence did to our aspirations. We know what happened when individuals and organizations, not just those who are coming after us, but the Party of Lincoln finally this that they didn't want to have the burden of us on their chart anymore. And so what really worries me about this moment is the thing that we're not saying as much as we should, which is in this terror moment, in this moment when they're removing us from everywhere, it's not just maga that we have to struggle with. The call is coming from in the house when we can see people being removed black people who are accomplished, who are at the top of their field, from joy to four star general. They are coming after us as the vehicle for this agenda. We've got to be able to call it out when we know that our fellow Democrats, our fellow progressives, our fellow leftists, our fellow liberals are more afraid of being called woke than being on.
Speaker 5: The wrong side of history. The fight is here.
Speaker 15: So this has been a fight that's been going on for several years.
Speaker 42: Many of us have been saying, Mark Marial one of them, chavn arline another one, that this attack on our freedom, this attack on our civil rights history, this attack on our ability to know and understand what our history is telling us, is an attack on the entire infrastructure of the last sixty years. They've told us from the beginning, they're coming after public education, they're coming after public values, and they're coming after the government. And that's exactly what they've done. So if there's any moment of doubt, if there is any question about why we have to fight now, just remember Woodrow Wilson did exactly what Trump is doing right now. He cleared us out from the government. He eliminated the protections that we had. He was backed up with the Supreme Court, who is willing to sign onto it. And lastly, but not but not least, our friends allowed them to do it. So our fight has to be multi level.
Speaker 15: We have to fight magga.
Speaker 31: Yeah, but we got to fight.
Speaker 42: Those who are willing to say, maybe we're going to compromise on diversity, equity and inclusion, Maybe we're going to compromise on black history. Maybe we don't need to be worried about all of these ideas and these frameworks. Maybe we can negotiate a settlement. Whenever a settlement is negotiated, trust, we're the ones that are going to be thrown under the bus. So I couldn't be happier to be part of this. I couldn't be more enthusiastic and excited about the fact that we are on the march. The Saints are marching in and I'm glad to be in that number. And let's remember I'm going to end byte quoting SHERYLN. Eiffel who said leave no power on the table. What did she mean by that? She meant to say, Yeah, we're fighting at the federal level, but the real power is at the local level. It's at those school boards, it's at the city council, it's at all the places where these decisions about what actually shapes our lives are made. So we need to step up, step in, be there recognized that this fight is not the fight for the next four years. It's a fight for a century, and we need to be part of it.
Speaker 1: Thankk you so much. You guys, we have twelve people in eleven minutes left. Stephanie Young, I'm coming to you. We're gonna be quick as be mindful. Otherwise we can't thank all the team that pulled this off. So please me Minchael, Stephanie Young, you have the floor. Talk to us about voting. Were gonna go to these packs and get it done.
Speaker 47: Yeah, well, thank you guys so much for all the work that you're doing continuously to make today, tonight and even tomorrow and all the things that will do together happen. I think it's really important to remember because I think a lot of folks have been discouraged and depressed obviously what's happened. But we had eighty nine million people in this country, actually not one hundred and forty four million people vote in this electronic This is not the highest turnout. I think Maxwell Frost said it. Twenty twenty actually had the highest voter turnout. And when you think about the multi level fight that Miss Crenshaw just laid out, it's incredibly important that we're attacking it from all all facets, so from civic engagement to some disobedient obedience to clear, concise, authentic and real consistent messaging. And we know we're in my old hat working in the in the voting rights space, that peer to peer organizing is really the number one converter to get as many people registered and ready to vote, and voter education does it stop there. That also goes to entering that people understand not only you know what, what does my vote get made? But also all the different levers that voting actually rolls from the school boards all the way up into obviously the present in the United States. So I think that when we're having these conversations, we can't leave out the deep organizing that actually has to happen because our people aren't fully out on the field when it comes to making their voices heard, and then also fighting the disinformation that comes from you know, all different sides, but from the peer to peer organizing, the voter education registration that can't just happen twelve months or six months for the election, but actually needs to start right now. Takes seven touches to get someone actually registered to vote and engaged. And we're not talking about you know, seven pains just on the internet. We're talking about phone calls. We're talking about peer to peer. We're talking about a multi lever, lever and layered process. So as we continue these conversations in community on how we all can play our part, I want to make sure and I know that from Derek n BLACP and on Collective Pack and obviously Latasha and all the work they're doing with Black Voters Matter, we have a lot of work to do in the voting space. And I know that voting hasn't always been sected, but it's incredibly, incredibly and very critical, uh to to ensuring that in the midterms that we made our voices her, but also obviously four years from now. So I'm looking forward to doing the work everyone.
Speaker 5: Thank you, step you guys there.
Speaker 1: We have a very important guest who's just joined us, and I think that Quentin and Mike McBride might be okay with me yielding their time to her. Their work helped to solidify this history making Senator Lisa Blunt Rochester out of the great state of Delaware and our good friend, and I'm just so happy you're here. So I want to yield a couple of minutes to you. We're trying to meet our deadline.
Speaker 15: Holly.
Speaker 5: We might be over, but it's a good it's a good reason why.
Speaker 25: I'm gonna be very very brief. I just left the floor from a very bizarre thing.
Speaker 17: To witness and behold, and I will just tell you that.
Speaker 25: Angela to you and everyone on here, Miss Reid, and I'm calling you misread because just thank you for the service that you have done for this country.
Speaker 31: To all of you on this line.
Speaker 17: I want to say, I needed to get on here to be refueled.
Speaker 25: And I think in this moment it is going to require each of us to recognize what can I do in this moment. The fact that Angela, also Brooks and I were sitting in the row, the same row as Jim.
Speaker 17: Clyburn and in front of us, Corey Booker and all of us, we.
Speaker 31: Said, no, this is our house.
Speaker 17: We're not leaving.
Speaker 25: You're going to look me right in the eye and say these things, and we are going to then take our power and act. And so I just want to thank to the collective, to everybody who helped us get to this place. Now the real work begins. And as was said, they're using words like scrub to scrub our history, to scrub us out of jobs, even veterans who are one third of the workforce.
Speaker 17: They don't care.
Speaker 5: And so I'm.
Speaker 17: I'm on fire in this moment. I appreciate the help and support and the wisdom.
Speaker 25: Like Sherlen Eiffel is going to be meeting with me and talking to me and talking about some of the levers. I'm once an urban leaguer, always an urban leaguer. Kimberly Crenshaw. I literally, Jamie, I could literally go through all of you here on this call and say thank you, thank you, thank you. But remember in this moment I said on the house on the Senate floor, for us, we know that trouble don't last always. For us, we know that it doesn't last all ways when we walk together children and not get weird, and that ultimately joy will come in the morning. But we got to do the work right now while it is night, and so I am just grateful for your presence. I'm grateful for your work. I'm looking forward. Look, I'm starting to see other people that I needed to call out, but I'm so grateful and on behalf of those of us who are in oh Leah adultery. I don't want to get started, but I just want to say thank you for your work and we are ready to get to work together. Thank you Angela so much for even this lifts my spirit as we go into tomorrow, that's all.
Speaker 1: I'll stick around till midnight because that's when the hour is dark as but we know morning is coming. Quittin and Mike real fast, and then I'm gonna get to these ladies that we need to get to everybody be encouraged.
Speaker 21: Will this is you know, is the worst of times, is also the best of times.
Speaker 48: We've never had as many black leaders in public office as we do right now, and that's because the work of everybody on this line, everyone watching. We've put the work in. We came up short last November. We're going to put the work in this year and next year. We have a black candidate running for governor of New Jersey right now in Rob's Baraka. Tonight was election night in Saint Louis mayor to Shara Jones running for reelection. And so while we are thinking about what's happening in DC, a lot of powers being built on the ground. And so thank you all for what you have done. We're going to continue doing it throughout this this next year.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Quinn from Collective Back, Pastor Mike McBride from Black Church, Pack Yes.
Speaker 15: Black Church Back, and Lift Free.
Speaker 49: Let me just say this whole day, these last twenty four hours, has been a demonstration of what happens when we organize together. Disorganized truth will find it difficult to defeat the organized lives.
Speaker 15: What I was taught and so my hope is that we.
Speaker 49: Organize ourselves on the ground. Brother Queen just said it powerfully. All politics is local. As we've manifested and flexed online. May we do that on the ground. May we attend to the differences among us on the ground by class, gender, sexuality, all things that try to divide us. Organize ourselves into the power. We need to keep this demonstration of our unity together.
Speaker 27: I think Elijah Muhammad said our unity is more powerful than an atomic boond.
Speaker 49: May we use our unity to defeat this wickedness around us.
Speaker 15: God bless everybody.
Speaker 5: Thank you pastor Mike.
Speaker 1: Since we're in the Bible, I'm gonna go to red Lip Theology. I miss my red Lip today. But candicemenybenbals here, we need to hear from you. I personally reach out to you, says My best friend was like, you know you need to have so you're here. Please, we want to hear from you.
Speaker 6: I just want to say that.
Speaker 50: The one thing I want to challenge us all to do creators create writers right. If this is a moment of disinformation, of misinformation, they are burning our books, what will the record bear fifty years from now? So not only do we need to document this time until a story we also need to do the work.
Speaker 23: That our souls need to have and our souls must have.
Speaker 50: And as we're talking about self care, as we're talking about lifting each other up, that's gonna come from the art that we create. That's going to come from the love that we that we admit and and and give each other. And I am heartened by tonight's sis. I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 1: I was up last night when you started, and I with you here at the end, and I'm so proud of you. Thank you so much for this, so very much. I'm gonna go to coach Jazelle and then to doctor Raquel Martin.
Speaker 5: Did I lose hope, Jael? I'm at a lost heir, Okay, Doctor Raquel Martin, I'm sorry.
Speaker 17: Yeah, no problem.
Speaker 51: So I just wanted to state that although we acknowledge the fact that activism is inspired sustained by love and community, when it is constantly being challenged by injustice, the emotional toll is going to lead to burnout and numbness and detachment. So I am working with clients, I'm a licensed clinical psychologist. I really just want you all to be mindful of signs of resistance, fatigue, that's the exhution that comes from sustained activism. Advocate fighting for justice. If you're feeling numb or detached, oring different to issues that you used to deeply carry, if I care about, you're having low frustration tolerance, you're feeling guilty about resting. Some things that I've been talking to my clients that are activist about are just sharing the load. Activism was never meant to be solo. So creating a care rotation with fellow activists where you're alternating who's organizing the meetings, who's managing social media, who is driving the people to the everywhere, the whole scene the meetings, You're building restorative community, creating consistent, structured check in. I told one of my clients to make a buddy system with someone where activists are responsible for checking in with each other, directing small acts of solidarity, they make a big impact. Mutual aid isn't just about organizing huge efforts, is about every single day support, checking in right childcare. When it comes down to it. As a medical professional, I'm also a liberation psychologist, and healing isn't just about the individual. It's about dismantling the systems that make us sick in the first place, and all this extra stress leads to increased susceptibility to illness and autoimmune disorders. So to all the individuals watching this, the medical and health professionals, our job isn't just to help people survive oppression, it's to challenge it. So if we're not working towards justice, we're also maintaining the harm. So doctors can contribute to this by providing equitable care, anti racist care, addressing social determinants of health. Because therapy does not have a monopoly on healing. I am a psychologist, but it doesn't have a monopoly on healing. So when it's whether it's your path to healing is therapy or creating or activism, it's going to be paid with community, and we're going to need that more than ever. So also checking with yourselves everyone on this call. If you notice the same people organizing every single one of these talks, that's a problem because the whole aspect of longevity isn't just about ill or out working everyone. It's about taking care of yourself. So many times people talk about pouring from an empty cup. Mostly y'all don't even have cups. Y'all have like spaghetti strainers, y'all got calendars because everything's poking holes in it. So I would encourage you to think about what's also poking holes in your cup and make sure the same people are not organizing this entire thing because.
Speaker 6: It's going to take a while.
Speaker 51: But when you're running on fumes, you can't sustain anything, and this is going to take a lot of sustainability.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go to doctor Dyson because he was not on a panel today, and we're going to get to some of the other folks for brief thank yous or something before we drop off. But doctor Michael Eric Dyson, mentor you have the floor.
Speaker 2: Love you, love what you do, love what you stand for, so proud of you.
Speaker 52: Very briefly, Let's make sure diversity is diverse, right, Don't be suckered by these people trying to make you hate trans people, or gay people, or lesbian people, or poor people are in the like. Let's understand that they are all those of us who are black. Understand the liberation movement for what it does. Number two, The truth is, be deadly serious about what you are committed to, but don't check yourself too seriously at all and in that way, like Elijah and the Bible, I only am left. No, you ain't the seven thousand others, So stop and focus on the job at hand. Thirdly, my pastor used to say, we've already come through what we've come to, which means we've been through this stuff before. Let's remember those lessons. And finally, Howard Thurmann said, you don't reduce your dreams to the event you confront. Now you have a choice. You can be a prisoner of hope or you can be a prisoner of the event. We choose to be a prisoner of the event. And now end by saying, I know Bishop Daltrey said that the cavalry ain't coming. That's true, but Calvary is here and on that old rugged cross, there's a lot that's been penned there and that has sustained us as a people.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, God, bless you, Thank.
Speaker 5: You, doctor Dyson.
Speaker 1: We are going to go to doctor David John's the journalist extraordinaire Ed Gordon, Monique and our Fonzo and we are rapping y'all quickly.
Speaker 14: I love y'all.
Speaker 53: There's something special about being in the care of black women who love black people.
Speaker 8: So thank you to you, Lolo, Jill, the whole team.
Speaker 14: I think my only.
Speaker 53: Contribution is to remind us of what Benny lu Hamer said, which is that none of us are free of lesson until all of us are free. So this is the moment where'mna step on some of y'all's toes and say gay, trans and gender expansive. If we don't lock arms and aims and hearts with every member of our beautify diverse community, we will never get free. So let's do the work of getting liberated together. Let's do the work of supporting each other and centering joy, and let's continue to resist. Let's not capitulate, Let's not give them anything. Let's live in the spirit of Nipsey Hustle, who reminds us that it's all a marathon.
Speaker 21: All we got to do is keep going.
Speaker 5: I love y'all, sincerely, thanks David.
Speaker 1: And on that note, Hope Gazelle dropped. I'm sure she was just tired, but please look up the work of Hope Jazelle. David, can you share our Instagram.
Speaker 8: And at Hope Jaselle.
Speaker 53: She also is a leader with NBJC, so you can check us out at www dot MJC.
Speaker 8: Download our bloo.
Speaker 53: Lack facts data and aligns with the Black Census Project, and you can also find us at MBJC on the move. But shout out to Hope Jazelle, who is doing tremendous work. Find her, support her, find ways to level members of our community again who are transitgender expansive. They are the tip of the sphere of these neo fascists who are legislating genocide.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much, dj Okay, Monique and Alfonso, come on.
Speaker 54: And Ed Gordon, you want a Monique to go first, I'm so go ahead. You go ahead, Angela, Thank you, Thank you to Joy, Thank you to Rev. Mark, Lolo Holly, all of our partners who have worked on this. What I want to leave us with is make sure we remember is that there's a direct connection between our wallets, our pocketbooks, and our dignity. All too often we treat economic.
Speaker 55: Justice and social justice like their separate conversations, and the truth is they're completely connected. Firing people from their jobs is directly connected to whether they can put food on the table and whether they can be treated with dignity at work, and then striking down diversity, equity and inclusion effects, whether public and private sectors, will be held accountable for addressing the disparities that show that black businesses are being denied opportunities. Just so we're clear, twenty percent of new businesses go out of business within the first twelve to eighteen months, but when you're talking about black businesses.
Speaker 6: That's eighty percent. Eighty percent of.
Speaker 55: Black businesses go out of business during that same time period, and this is due to systemic barriers that exist.
Speaker 21: In the marketplace.
Speaker 55: So remember as we go through this fight, in this struggle, that when you hear about the actions being taken by the new administration, understand that they.
Speaker 14: Have an impact on your dignity and they have an impact on your wallet. That is the goal.
Speaker 6: They are connected and.
Speaker 21: If the global Black Economic form.
Speaker 55: We're going to continue doing this work, fighting for economic justice and fighting for economic.
Speaker 6: Freedom and working with all of you and doing so. Angela, thank you again.
Speaker 5: Thank you, y'all find the Monique my sister.
Speaker 6: I love you girl, real true.
Speaker 22: And deep in the bunker, any bunker anytime. Thank you for this, thank you for everybody who worked from one scripture, Faith without works is dead, and that means it's like having none at all. It's like nonexistent faith. What we've done for the past twenty four hours is a demonstration of the height of our faith through our work. And I am so thankful for that because my faith is real high, my faith in God and my faith in our people, my belief that we can take this and go someplace with it. We ain't got to agree on everything.
Speaker 6: Let's do one thing and take some steps with the one thing.
Speaker 22: And I'm just here to say the one hundred of y'all, two hundred of y'all, whoever did this for the past twenty four hours, I'll take at least ten steps with y'all any day in time.
Speaker 5: Blessings, Thanks Moll.
Speaker 1: The legendary Ed Gordon is still with us, and Ed you, I just want to hear from you, that's all.
Speaker 5: I just want to hear from you.
Speaker 56: I just want to Yeah, I just want to say this very quickly. And Joy started us off with doctor King's words. And I had the honor of interviewing Nelson Mandela on three occasions and spent some time with him, and he suggested that in times like this, we have to find truth, and that's truth within ourselves and with those who surround us, and so I'd like to encourage all of us to respectfully hold ourselves accountable, our leadership accountable, our elected officials accountable, and the people in the streets accountable.
Speaker 8: This is a historic moment for us.
Speaker 56: I don't know that we have the gravity of it yet, but we owe ourselves and our ancestors that accountability.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is indeed the truth. Well, uh, Joy was the host that brought us in yesterday. So Joey, I want to come to you, Ray, I want to come to you, and then I just want to offer some thank you.
Speaker 10: I just want to say that very briefly, because I know we're trying to get out of here, y'all. I'm telling you the contrast in my text messages between the people who watched the joint address and the people who stuck with us, the people who did the twenty four hours, however long they spent with it, it could not be sharper. I think what we have learned tonight is that our people don't need to be directed to consume what the mainstream tells them to or to know what the mainstream tells them to know.
Speaker 11: They just need us. All we need is each other.
Speaker 2: Y'all.
Speaker 11: This is enough.
Speaker 10: All we need is each other. The feeling of empowerment, joy, freedom that we felt in these last twenty four hours and in this town.
Speaker 11: All that's it. We got the answer. That's where we go from here, right here.
Speaker 1: So my illustrious co host that said yes at one in the morning, Roywood Junior, he did.
Speaker 8: She texted me one of the morning he were doing the thing. And the way that you all organize this, I have to praise you all and tell you all thank you. I mean, Angela knows it's forty pots on the stove. Joy, you know, it's forty pots on the stove. So I'm not always able to be part of the construction of any of this, but if you tell me where to be up here, by.
Speaker 11: The way, I stirred no pots. I showed up with everyone else.
Speaker 10: I just I have to say that the people who organized this, I literally am so in awe of everyone who participated in making this happen.
Speaker 11: Athlete, Holly, Angie, all of y'all.
Speaker 31: I rode.
Speaker 11: I told you.
Speaker 10: I was in that little car next to the bike. I was in a little you know, a little buggy next to the bay. I was in a sidecar, and I was just proud to be there. I am in absolutely awe. This was amazing.
Speaker 8: Here's what threw me off. Joy Angela said, I saw the flyer. I was like, oh, that's oh they do that's oh, that's just good. But I just ever looked at the date and then and just like you want to do the thing that's on the fly, like I do the thing that's on the fly.
Speaker 15: But I thought it was next week.
Speaker 8: She goes eight tomorrow, hiss the window. All right, I'll be there.
Speaker 2: I'll be there.
Speaker 8: So to be able to turn this around and to be able to you know, just a quick shout out to Mark Thompson as well.
Speaker 11: On the ground as Mark Thompson, can I just take up as.
Speaker 8: They came off, as they walked out the.
Speaker 10: Room, look at the cable corresponded moment. This Mark thoms corresponding in.
Speaker 11: The field doing the thing.
Speaker 10: And we've seen him do it before. He used to do it sometimes for me on my cable show. When I tell you that brother made this thing one of the most entertaining informative live it was in the moment. This was some of the best non television television that I and I'm a minute.
Speaker 11: I've been at this a long time. Y'all am an oldie, godie baby. This was some of the best non television television I've ever seen. I was inspired, but I was also quite entertained.
Speaker 5: I gotta tell you, I gotta tell oh, there he is markree is Mark.
Speaker 1: Now, Mark, you can't have preacher words, but you got some pardon words because I'm gonna get these thank yous into all these people.
Speaker 2: So this this is an incredible group I've had connor to work with. I have been up since six am Monday morning, not just the twenty four hours. So I'm gonna go try to find a few minutes to sleep before I go to Stema and not sleep at all. God bless you all. Really great to work with. Ashley and Holly and Lolo and all of you YouTube Angela Enjoy. Vince and I were just talking. You know, I think we're gonna do something. We're gonna do something here. I think We've proven what we can so pan wait. Y'all can't wait.
Speaker 1: Right, And I'm before I say anything, I know we're over time. If y'all got to drop, you just got to drop. But I am gonna yield this time to this sister that has been the glue. Y'all don't see her often, but when she shows up, she shows up with joy. She shows up with patience. She is the chair of the Elemental Pea Community.
Speaker 14: She knows what that is.
Speaker 5: I meant to say committee, but it's late and I'm tired. The Elemental committee had his Holly Holiday.
Speaker 1: Holly Holliday out sanding she's gonna shout out her podcast right now because she got in trouble with her podcast. Go host, shout out the podcast. Holly, you know you are a gangster like I don't know Elon Musk. I keep saying, Elon Musk got a run for his money because she got integrity, a moral and a moral basis and a moral compass. Holly Holiday, you gotta say something before we leave.
Speaker 57: I'm gonna do, y'all like Russell Simmons used to do on Deaf comedy Jam, because it is the most appropriate thing to say thank.
Speaker 5: You and good night before you hang up on us.
Speaker 1: Holly, I got some other people to think that you're gonna be rude and not oblige her indulge me. Rather see I'm telling y'all this late Ashley Allison. Yes, Oh my god, Ashley Allison, Mark Thompson, Holly Holly, the other Holly Holly Weeks who works with Holly Holliday.
Speaker 5: I want to lol, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Lolo is Charles Barkley of Native Lampod, Lauren, Lolo Smith, Chloe and Avanni Hun Graphics, Reed Rachel and step Young who's sitting right here. They are press gurus. The press around this has been fantastic. I want to shout out Essence Studios, Alfonso put let me tell you about Alfonso David See y'all see the president of Global Black Economic Forum. But that is a political staffer at heart. Jammy Harrison, you know what I'm talking about. He had another thought partner, So y'all need to stay close. I want to thank all of the producers, everyone who hosted a segment, every single panelist, Latifa Simon on a response, Latifa Simon on a walkout, Maxine Water's telling you she's eighty six working on thirty six because she got more energy than most of us. Every single person who tuned in today, every prayer, Bishop Daughtry who let me call her on the side or talk about my side. Preachers, Royce trying to drag me. I'm not gonna let you drag me. And Joe, Taika Edie, the infrastructure. I'm around women with black women, all the folks who are you know, talkers. That's all I'm gonna say.
Speaker 5: Thank God for y'all. Vince Evans who was double timing as a.
Speaker 1: CBC staffer and staffing us, Lisa Blunt Rochester because your prayers.
Speaker 5: I know that you were praying with him for us. I thank God for you. I think God that you're in the Senate. The Senate needs you.
Speaker 1: For every member of Congress who signed up to participate tonight. To Wes Moore who opened us up at the nine pm Tis James with the drama on the tape.
Speaker 11: She was ready.
Speaker 5: Everybody, Everybody, Everybody.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcast from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.