Speaker 1: Scrubbing In with Becca Tilly and Tanya rent An iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: We've just started the show and Mark's already on me.
Speaker 1: I'm not on you as a producer.
Speaker 2: You produce, uh huh, So I'm just giving you notes.
Speaker 1: We are scrubbing in today.
Speaker 3: Becca is we are sons, Becca, she is Sanzi. She is on vacation. But we're holding down the fort. Don't you worry. I've got Mark and Easton and Hannah here and I'm very excited for the show today.
Speaker 1: As are we. And Kelty's always so fun.
Speaker 3: She is always so fun, and she is somebody that I really admire in the industry because she really does so much, like you know how everybody says, like, you know and you have like a job, like when you check a box at the doctor's office and they say, like, what do you do professionally? She could never check a box because she does so many things, and she keeps doing more and more things.
Speaker 1: What do you put in that box?
Speaker 2: I put radio host? I think, oh yeah, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: A radio producer.
Speaker 2: Yeah nice, yeah, yeahs We're just so one dimensional.
Speaker 3: Kelty is not that no, And so she has a new show coming out and I was like, you know what, you gotta come on scrubbing in and promote the new show because we just love everything about Kelty. She is an award winning TV personality. She's from Canada, so we love our Canadians. Her credits include CBS's Entertainment Tonight, the Thanksgiving Day Parade on CBS, She's done the Grammys, Red Carpet Live, and she's currently the chief correspondent for E News. She is a New York Times best selling author Something That I Am Not, and her podcast Lady Gang is just getting so many impressive downloads worldwide. She is the creator, executive producer, and co host of the new CBS primetime series Superfan. Please let's give a warm welcome to Kelty Night.
Speaker 2: Yay me, Kelty Knight is here.
Speaker 1: My god, it's so good to see in person.
Speaker 4: It has been I think since you and Becca beat us at the People of Choice Awards for Top Podcasts.
Speaker 1: Since I've seen you in person.
Speaker 3: Twenty eighteen or nineteen. We won like a bunch of years. I don't know, didn't you win it, like for four years in a row or.
Speaker 2: Some two years in a row, two years in a row.
Speaker 1: Year. So good to see you friends.
Speaker 2: It's good to see you too.
Speaker 3: I was really excited to have you on because you know, I'm just like such a fan and supporter of everything that you do. And so when I saw that super Fan was coming out, I was like, we have to have you back to scrub In to talk about it.
Speaker 4: And I'm really angry that you didn't apply, you know what, because we haven't had the Jonas brothers on yet. Yeah, so when we have Jonas Brothers on, I fully expect a casting tape.
Speaker 3: Wait, you would be amazing how many episodes are in the season. So we have six episodes.
Speaker 4: It's a it's like a TV spectacular special series, so just six episodes.
Speaker 1: It starts August ninth with.
Speaker 4: Ell cool J and then we have Shanaiah Pitbull, Kelsey Ballerini who I love, Little Big Town who I love, Gloria Stefan.
Speaker 1: So we're really excited. It's like every.
Speaker 3: Genre and so basically a lot of fans apply and then how does it work?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so basically what happened.
Speaker 4: Like I'll use Shania as an example because I'm wearing a Let's Go Girls T shirt. So we had Shanaia make a social post and say hey, I'm looking for my number one super fan. Here's how you apply. So there was just like hundreds of thousands of applicants from around the world. We really only took people from America. There's like a one exception from a Canadian guy for Shania. But and they had to prove three different ways that they're a super fan. So they had to prove like they knew the trivia about them. Obviously, they had to prove that they knew the music in the auditions, and then they had to like have a fandom story. Like one of the guys was like, I have a glorious Stephan room in my house and like took us for a tour of the room, and like another girl for Shania was like I I was such a fan of you when I was growing up because my parents listened to you, and then I rediscovered you in college and then I got diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer and like I listened to come on over every time I was in treatment because it just cheered me up for some reason. And like has a big Let's Go Girls tattoo across her back, Like wow.
Speaker 1: There just like really cool stories.
Speaker 4: There's like some people that learn English by listening to you know, and then like, oh my gosh, there was a kid that like for the Lla Cool Jay episode who literally like has built his whole life around Ella, Like where's the turtleneck and the chain and the can gole and like looks like a mini ll.
Speaker 1: It's like sodorable.
Speaker 4: Anyway, So the fans, we cast the fans, We cast a whole bunch of them, and they all came to the studio and then no one knew they were getting called until the moment that we're actually filming the show.
Speaker 3: And then we had is the premise that the artist actually gets to pick their.
Speaker 2: Number one super fan.
Speaker 4: So we didn't want to make the artists have to choose because we thought they wouldn't want to. So what it is is, it's three rounds of super fan like game show play where they prove their fanness and each round we eliminate someone like someone to the lowest points or doesn't get the song or whatever, and then the final two compete and it's actually America votes, so we don't know who wins yet.
Speaker 2: Oh that's yes.
Speaker 4: So it's like a RuPaul's Drag Race is my favorite television show, and so what they do in their finales, they film two endings, you know, with like.
Speaker 1: Each person winning, and then they do a watch party and whoever RuPaul picks, that's what they roll. So nobody knows until it actually airs on TV. And that was really important to me.
Speaker 4: So you're gonna be able to watch at home and be like, I've fallen in love with this guy, TJ, and like I'm going to vote hashtag super fan TJ during the hour.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that because as a fan of Love Island UK, when I watch it in real time, and I was so excited to finally get to that point where I'm watching with them, and then I realized I can't vote because the UK is like a few days ahead.
Speaker 2: I'm like so pissed about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it was really important because I feel like, you know, who should decide the super fan the other members of the fan them. Yeah, so they should watch and judge and be like, who do we want to carry this crown?
Speaker 3: Okay, but I want to talk about like this show from inception to now because when was this your thought?
Speaker 2: Like when did you have the idea of this show?
Speaker 3: Because you're the creator, You're the creator the executive producer and a co host.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm so tired, but I don't know what happened in Hollywood, but like no one was calling me. It was like everyone lost my phone number. And I was like, am I ever going to work again? And so then I had to make a show and hire myself to be the host of it.
Speaker 1: So you're welcome me.
Speaker 5: Yay, good job hey, because I was like, wait, I've like worked in TV for like a decade and then I left my job and then I was like, someone else will call me for a job.
Speaker 3: Nobody called, and I was like, well, I better make a show. So I actually originally originally registered this idea with the Writer's Guild and Director's Guild in twenty fourteen. So it was an idea had very very long time ago. It didn't really come to fruition until I had left the job that I was at for a long time. And yere was that that was right at the start of COVID. Okay, so we'd started talking about it. I was at the Grammys the year that they were in New York City.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if you were there that year.
Speaker 4: Twenty eighteen, Yeah, no, I was not, And I had spoken with the executives at CBS and they're like, we want to do more music programming, and I was like, I've got something for you. So I started working on it and then we pitched it and it was almost an instant yes, which was amazing because CBS is the home of the Grammys, and you guys know like how far music programming goes and how special music musicians are in your relationship with them, So it was almost an instant yes. And then everything from that point on has been an absolute dumpster fire. Like getting it made, it was so hard to get a budget approved. It's so expensive to make television, especially with a list celebrities.
Speaker 1: It was so hard.
Speaker 4: During COVID to film anything, so we had to like COVID test everyone and it adds hundreds of thousands of dollars to the budget, Like it's just insanity. It was so hard to book, Like you go to these big stars and you're.
Speaker 3: Like, heyhow do my show and it's gonna be fans and they're like, yeah, I want to, but like ooh, sorry, not available.
Speaker 4: I'll just go on the voice again, you know what I mean? Because it's like people want people don't want to be the.
Speaker 1: First at anything. They want to know it's a hit before they go on it.
Speaker 4: So it was all like our relationships and it was crazy. And then in the edits, right when we finished filming the show, my brother has been mentally ill my whole life, but he really had a down series of events and I actually had to go up to Canada and I lived in Canada for two months and admitted him to the psych Ward. So I was literally like doing edits and meetings from his kitchen table over zoom in this post production where I wanted to be in the studio with everyone watching the edits and stuff, but I had to do everything over zoom And then at four o'clock I would go get him a Denny's BLT sandwich and then I would sit in the psych Word with him all the So it was just like a really intense time that I didn't get to enjoy. And the whole pre production of super Fan, he was just spiraling. So it was just like I stayed focused for the ten days we shot and then I just had to go be with my family. So it's like just all of it has been so difficult and has been the greatest, worst thing.
Speaker 1: Of my life.
Speaker 4: Really, Yeah, I mean it's been amazing. It's my dream show. If this doesn't work out, I swear to god. I saw online there's an island in Nicaragua for sale for like three hundred thousand dollars, the whole island, multiple houses, and I was like, am I gonna stay in Hollywood if this show doesn't work?
Speaker 1: I don't know. You would never, I know, but that's what everyone says. But I'm tired, aren't you tired?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I don't think I'm as tired as you, because I think of the hustle, of the rejection of being not being picked.
Speaker 1: Like, how do you know if it's going to be good or not? Well, I know the show is fantastic.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I mean, like what you say is a success, like quote unquote.
Speaker 1: Like getting a second season?
Speaker 2: Got it okay?
Speaker 1: Getting picked up?
Speaker 2: And when do you find that out?
Speaker 1: I mean, it can be in.
Speaker 4: The first two episodes, or maybe they'll wait till the whole thing. But like you know, the television business in general is a little bit of a dumpster fire at the moment, so I'm not exactly sure that they're like we really want to green light everything, like it's very competitive, especially on a network like CBS, because if you don't get like twenty million people watching your show, you're a bomb.
Speaker 2: No, it's so hard.
Speaker 3: Twenty million people, twenty five people aren't watching anything these days.
Speaker 1: How many people you think are gonna watch Big Brother? Ten million? Probably?
Speaker 2: Maybe nine?
Speaker 4: Yeah, nine million, So we would need to have, right, yeah, nine or ten million, So we would need to hold on to like at least half of our lead in.
Speaker 1: Which is Big Brother. So we got have like five or six million people watch Stay Up till ten o'clock.
Speaker 2: I think they will. It's a great show. Will I think they will if you love.
Speaker 4: Music and Hollywood people and like the betterment of the regular Joe winning.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Okay, but you posted something the other day that I found to be really interesting, and it was like it was on your Instagram story and you were saying, how you know you're launching this show at the time when there's a writer strike and you guys were promoting your second book with Lady Gang Yes, in the middle of COVID and same with your clothing line.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I'm starting to feel like it's me.
Speaker 2: The problem. It's me, But it's.
Speaker 3: Not because I think a lot of people are also. I mean, these are huge things that are happening like in society and culture in the world, and so a lot of people haven't affected the same way that you have. But it like it really messes you up because it's like you put so much of your time and energy and effort and your life into this thing and then not to be able to do it properly, give it it's proper.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the world. It just feels very heartbreaking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my podcast Lady Gang, we got a big clothing line deal with Express and it was supposed to be for multi collections and in stores and there's going to be like billboards of us in.
Speaker 1: The windows and stuff.
Speaker 4: And then COVID hit and they're like, we're not selling any clothes, especially work wear, which our collection was like really meant for work. It was a lot of blazers and stuff. And they're like, we're just gonna put it up online. And it was very unceremonious and sad. We still sold a ton of clothes, so that was kind of a bummer. And then here we are.
Speaker 3: But how have you how are you getting through it? Like how are you looking at because you seem to be in good spirits.
Speaker 4: I'm only happy because I'm seeing you. I have my sunshine mind on right now, I have my sunshine mind on. I'm like I'm a yellow or odd delicious person. Yeah, I don't know, Like I think it's like to be honest. Every year and every kind of like thing that comes at me, it's like another chink in the armor. And I feel like as I get older, I care more like I think in my twenty yeah, and I feel like you would care less. Yeah, well, I'm more like stable as a human, Like financially I'm stable. I'm married to a really good man, Like I know who I am. And so the personal stuff of like your face looks like a horse, and like the little comments on Instagram like that, that stuff doesn't hurt me the way that it used to. But like the career things of I've been hustling now for like fifteen years, twenty years in this business, and I really was just hoping at some point all your hard work would cumulate in it getting somehow easier, like the doors opening wider or something like that.
Speaker 3: That's interesting because like to for you, what does that mean, Like all this hard work, what would be the payoff for you, like what would be dream case scenario for you right now?
Speaker 4: I think what is like kind of unknown, And what people don't understand is that like I have never been called and offered a job until my job at E they actually called me and offered me that job, like said hey, we want you, and I did an audition, but I've never been called by my agent.
Speaker 1: I don't even have an agent anymore.
Speaker 4: Like in my whole history of my career, no one's ever been like, we'd like to see Kelty audition for this show, or we'd possibly like to have her host X Factor, Like never ever, ever, every single thing I've done in my career, whether it be the podcast or the TV or whatever, has been through me getting in with like a time like when I started at CBS on Insider and Entertainment Tonight, I was a digital girl. I made five hundred dollars a month and made my own videos, book them, edited them with my own camcorder, put them up on a website for them, did the SEO on it, Like I got in this much and then from there hustled my way up to being correspondent and all these things, but like no one has ever been like, Hey, Kelty, it would be so great if you could come to our event and I would like to give you a bunch of money, or I would like you to like host this show, or hey, I think you're a great host. Maybe you could audition for the view, or you would be so great on such and such thing, like no one's ever done that, Like it's it's literally just me spitting my creations.
Speaker 1: Out into the world, and it's exhausting. Like isn't there just like some show biz granddaddy that can just be like healthy. We would like you to be at our thing, and we'd like to pay you to be there, whatever it is. I'll host anything, like I'll host like the envelope opening competition, Like I don't care what the show is, the worse the better, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess I never realized that everything that you've done, you've literally created out of thin air.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like, I'm sure there's been times in your life where like either someone on your behalf has reached out to someone or you know, maybe it was E when you were doing the Live Red Carpets, Like someone reaches out and says.
Speaker 1: Hey, you know, we're thinking about you, would you be interested?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is that?
Speaker 1: Like, I've never had that. I've literally never had it.
Speaker 2: That is so crazy. I did not realize, and so.
Speaker 4: Like my sunshine mind gets a little dark because you're just like having to be your own warrior all the time and having to like sell your wares and it's just kind of starting to get tiring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I will say as an outsider, like looking at you, like, look, I admire so much what you've done, because I do realize how freaking hard every step of that way is and I just feel like you've created it for yourself and there's something so really cool about that. No, Like, honestly, I really like admire the hell out of you.
Speaker 4: Well, I think we talked about it a little offline, like even when your book was coming out. There's something so weird about the way our industry works and friendships in this industry, because when you're just like coming up and everyone in the world wants to come on your radio show and like you can sit across from the most famous foot and.
Speaker 1: They're like, we love you, we love you, we love you.
Speaker 4: But when you have your thing and you turn around and you're like, hey, I now have a thing.
Speaker 1: Can you help me?
Speaker 4: The silence can be deafening, you know, and that's that was a really hard thing for me. And you know, the people in my life were like, well, Kelsey, you've worked on like the biggest television shows in the world, Like, of course everyone's going to talk to you and you're gonna have all these relationships, but like they're not your friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm like they're not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really financially and I had something going no, but like I really I just want you to know too, Like I really just respect you a lot. And I feel like I think it was after the Lady Gang tour, after you guys had toured, Uh, you'd pick me up and we were going somewhere and you were just like very honest with me about like numbers and money and like things like that that people don't talk about in the industry, but let alone women to women, and like you were just so empowering with information just because you were like I think you guys are great and you deserve this and like da da da da. And I just found that to be really really cool because it's like really challenging to be a woman in this industry. Because you can't stand up for yourself and you can't like say things, and you're also not you don't have anything to stand on, you know what I mean. It's like nobody's telling you anything, so you're kind of going and blind. And like that was like some made me feel so powerful for some reason, Like I was like yeah.
Speaker 4: No, and I know, And I think what is really cool about especially in the podcast world, moving from super Fan to like Lady Gang, is is that like we all came up kind of in the same I like always say class of podcasts. It was kind of the same timing and the same we were all breaking out being known as these top podcasts at the same time, which was like so thrilling. And I think what's so cool about it is that there was this community of like five to eight podcasts and we've been so in the mix with each other, that all of us, and it was never something we talked about, but there was never a conversation of like, well one only one of us can win. I mean, only one of us can win the People's Choice Award, which is scrubbing in but like it was never like there can be one top female podcast and then everyone else you're screwed. Like we all went on each other's shows, We promoted each other, we helped each other whenever anyone else had things on. And I think talking about contracts and money and what we were making and what we should be making was like a really important part of that, because if you were making four dollars an hour and I was making twenty dollars an hour, like then that's really unfair. And it's meaning that when I leave and go somewhere else than this, someone's going to try and pay me four dollars an hour.
Speaker 1: And I don't want that. I want everyone to be at the twenty dollars an hour mark. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't even know what the minimum wages anymore. It was four dollars and fourteen cents. When I got my first job in Canada. I was a chicken bone breaker at least famous recipe chicken because you can't deep fry a thigh with the bone intact and will not cook properly.
Speaker 1: EWW you're welcome. Ew I'm a vegetarian now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna say I'm having a very weird thing with chicken these days, Like I just like can't I'm like being really grossed out with chicken Yeah, okay, sorry, yeah.
Speaker 2: I really threw me off there with that one. But with Lady Gang, do you feel because how long have you guys been.
Speaker 4: Doing Lady Gang now since twenty fifteen, and you're it's just as hot as ever?
Speaker 1: Do you know if that's true?
Speaker 3: Really, I mightn't keep reinventing it or like making it fresh.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: We're trying to do video, damn it. I actually was. I wanted to get in a podcast so I could be ugly, but face is very puffy in the morning when we podcast. They don't want to be on camera, especially on my own camera that I'm setting up myself and then editing myself, Like this is more work.
Speaker 1: Guys, we used to podcasting was so easy.
Speaker 4: We got a little drunk, We sat in our sweatpants, we talked some shes and then we like turn the recording button off. Now I got to set up lights and put a lie lash on.
Speaker 2: It's exhausting.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think we just have, Like you guys, we have a really good core group listeners, and we came in a podcast in an exciting time, like we've watched Becca meet her husband, get engaged, get married, have a baby.
Speaker 1: We've watched Jack have.
Speaker 4: Many many bad boyfriends, find her person, get engaged. Now she's getting married in September. We've watched me be maniac, so you know, it's been great be a maniac.
Speaker 3: But you guys, you were just talking before you got on. You and Chris have been together for ten ten years years and married for ten Yeah. And I saw that you posted something the other day about like you finally missed him for the first time.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: That's why I'm like becoming a so soft, I'm becoming you. I know, Well, what's your sign Aquarius?
Speaker 2: Oh? Interesting? Interesting?
Speaker 1: But I'm a three on the Ennagram, which is like I only care about work.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, my husband's been away for six weeks with one of his he's a music manager with one of his artists, and they've been all over the world, have been through Europe and they've been they're in Australia and then they're going to Singapore and it's been like so crazy in the time zones, like we've barely spoken.
Speaker 1: And I was watching The Bear. Do you watch your Bear?
Speaker 2: I haven't. I got friends watching it, but I he always watches it after fall asleep.
Speaker 4: Okay, so it has a great ninety soundtrack. The show's great, but like it's a lot of count and Crows and Ram and just like really good nineties music that just makes me feel like a little desperate fifteen year old.
Speaker 1: And so then I like sat.
Speaker 4: There and I was watching it and this Ram song was playing, and I was like, oh my god, I really miss Chris.
Speaker 1: I've never missed him before in my whole life.
Speaker 4: Like he would go away for work, I'd be at work, like I'm happy to be alone.
Speaker 1: I'm very like independent person. I have lots to do. I like to putts, like I'm not really bothered. I'm not like one of those girls.
Speaker 4: It's like a Labrador retriever that's like and like you know, like I'm just like kind of on my own and like I'm cool.
Speaker 1: And anyway, I just really missed out and then it went away. I'm fine now. It was just a moment.
Speaker 2: It was just a moment, like a fleeting moment.
Speaker 4: It was a moment. And that night, that night, I was just like I just missed him so much. And then I was like, shmooy woopy poopy, you should fish time me, where am I rit? And he's like, who are you?
Speaker 2: How make him feel?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think he was like, who is this? Because normally I just ignore his phone calls and pretend I'm in a meeting.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I do. I don't always want to.
Speaker 3: Talk, literally the opposite of me. Really, Yeah, I always want to talk.
Speaker 1: But that what are you?
Speaker 2: What's your answer? Okay?
Speaker 1: But also that's like your personality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, very much.
Speaker 1: So you know. Yeah, and that's why you're the peopil's choice and why I am not. I'm a cold, hard bitch choice.
Speaker 2: No, you're not.
Speaker 4: No, I'm a nice person, but I don't I'm not a big social person, like I'm Jane Fonda.
Speaker 1: I don't really like people.
Speaker 4: And this would be my social interaction for like at the least four days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seriously, I'll just be hiding. Is that how you get so much done?
Speaker 1: I think?
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 4: I don't go out unless i'm getting paid. I'm not going to like your dinner. That's so interesting.
Speaker 1: No, that's a lot. I went to bec a Tilly's.
Speaker 4: I went to Becca's clothing launch, and I wasn't getting paid just to support her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, you were there.
Speaker 3: You know what's interesting is like I somebody I'm not going to say who it was because I don't remember, but it was somebody that's like very successful, successful businesswoman, and she was saying that she just does not like partake in social activity, like she just like works and then she's home like that's it. Yeah, And I was like, Wow, if I did that, I feel like I would be so much further along in my career.
Speaker 2: I feel like I I'm too social.
Speaker 1: Ooh, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're really liked, You're well liked, and you're fabulous to follow on Instagram. Always an event, always a trip, a story, a pantsuit, a birthday party, a cake, a dinner with your guy, Like it's not fabulous to watch, and I think, but my difference is like I don't like social activities. So for me, I do take time off like from I'm not always working, but when I am not working, like I'll go on a hike with my dog and listen to like a podcast or like for me, I read like probably an hour and a half every night every night. Yeah, I love to read. I'm like looking forward right now, I'm sitting and you're my friend, and I love you, and I'm so happy to be here, and I'm so excited to like talk about superfan. But like I'm really looking forward to like seven thirty pm when I roll up with like a nice heating cuddly and you know thing that you put in the microwave and smells like lavender, and I put it around my neck and then I'm just gonna get in my book again. I can't wait to read a cap.
Speaker 2: That's like your nightly routine. That's what you do.
Speaker 1: Everyday, even when Chris is home, And what do you do on the weekends. I love to read. I love to read a book.
Speaker 4: I play canasta with my gaze. I have like a little canasta club with my two friends, and so Chris and I will go with them Crisp and Gone, so we learn how to play crib actually, because you can play that with three people.
Speaker 1: I was like, Chris is out. I played canasta.
Speaker 4: I really like to like organize like drawers, and I like to read and online shop and.
Speaker 1: You know, just big cool things like that.
Speaker 4: No one invites me into anything or offer sweet jobs.
Speaker 1: That is so no.
Speaker 3: I think it's so it's the way the world works. Everybody has their own thing, do you know what I mean? I feel opposite.
Speaker 4: I feel like my career would be in a better place if I left the house and like networked. Oh interesting, I feel like nobody knows that I exist because I don't you see me on TV and then nowhere else.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting, you.
Speaker 4: Know, like how there's those people that are like doing the rounds and they're like at every event, every event, getting their picture taken.
Speaker 1: And I tried that for a little bit.
Speaker 3: But there's something every single day and night I know the year, like truly there's beck and I call them industry events. Yeah, there's something every single dinner.
Speaker 1: To celebrate the sunscreen and whatever.
Speaker 3: This new launch and that new launch and come and like I get invited to stuff at like ten am on a Tuesday.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I have a job.
Speaker 3: But people go like that they do these events because people obviously can go, and I'm like, it is it can be if you're going to everything like truly exhausting.
Speaker 4: And also where are we getting the outfits? Because when I did, when I hustled this, I was doing rent the runway and then it's like no one wants to be photographed by getting images and a rent the Runway frock, you know what I mean. It's like it's great when it's like your cousin's graduation and you needed a gown for one time.
Speaker 1: But it's like the time.
Speaker 4: That I appeared in like Star magazine and the story was like everyone's wearing lips and like it was all these like famous people with like lips on their dresses and then me wearing like a bad Rental Runway lip dress.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh, yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Can't go out, don't have enough clothes. No, I'll go to a concert. I'll go to a concert all the time. I'm with Jamie Lee Curtis. I could use a matine.
Speaker 2: I'm with that with Jamie Lee Curtis too.
Speaker 3: I could even But I'll go to a concert. And Jonas Brothers, they like to keep it going till late.
Speaker 2: Inline.
Speaker 4: I went to their Vegas show and I was like, I'm exhausted, and you haven't even come out yet.
Speaker 2: What did they come out to mime?
Speaker 4: They came out at like nine fifteen or something. And then it's like, I mean, I enjoy the Hollywood Bowl because they have a hard cutoff yeah yea, which is kind of nice. You know you're gonna be done at eleven, But I went South third a blind at the YouTube space or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, YouTube theater, YouTube kid.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it took forever for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like all the hits, And that's my biggest problem. I think my biggest downfall in life is.
Speaker 1: That iland to be out in the morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like to go to bed very early.
Speaker 1: Yeah me too. I'm like the sun is out most of the time, like curtains closed. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So it's just like I feel like we could, really they get a like a five a nice five pm concert. Wh White aren't they not doing that? They would sell more tickets.
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 4: People are having trouble selling tickets right now if you're not Taylor or Beyonce, Like every tour is bombing.
Speaker 1: Basically.
Speaker 3: I think Jamie Lee Curtis was honestly onto something like a matinee.
Speaker 4: I would go, like I would go to five. It doesn't need to be mad Dae, it needs me after work. Like so it's like, if our work day ends at four thirty five, yeah, could we get a quick cocktail and then be at the concert ready to go at six and then the openers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the whole thing.
Speaker 4: I know they need the openers because they need to sell a few extra tickets and then have a thing like I don't need two openers I've never heard of before you go on at ten pm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm done with the openers.
Speaker 4: I don't want no, I'm I don't know, texting Live Nation being like yo, what time are they really well they're managers or whatever, being like what time are they really going on?
Speaker 1: And then I go for that.
Speaker 4: Sorry to the openers. I know this is great for you, but like, I'm main, main girl energy.
Speaker 2: Only girl energy.
Speaker 3: I'd rather stay home and read for a few more hours and then go I know.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. I'm totally totally with you.
Speaker 3: I want you to tell everybody where they can God yes, watch super Fan, where they can follow super Fan, where they can tweet along with super Fan, and how they can engage that we can get you a season two.
Speaker 1: I love you so much for saying that. Thank you for asking.
Speaker 4: Okay, So the show premiered on August ninth, But next week we have Shania. Every Wednesday for the next six weeks we have Shania Twain and it's a fabulous episode and she's so so so good. So listen, I really need the scrubbers too.
Speaker 2: Is that what you call them?
Speaker 4: The scrubbs, right, scrub sisters, the scrub sisters to vote? Like, all I'm asking is for you to turn your television and nine pm to CBS and just go on your Twitter before you delete it forever, and just vote for your people.
Speaker 1: I want. I really just I'm so old school. I just want super Fan to trend. I wanted to trend so that no matter what the ratings are, I can be like, but I mattered to the Internet. Yeah, you know, and then you can watch it next day on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you scribers are going to show up for you because you know why.
Speaker 4: Because they know that they showed up too hard for you at the People's Choice Awards and then I lost.
Speaker 3: No, when you you were doing that that social campaign for Superfan, she like asked us to do this TikTok, right, let me tell you about this. No, because I don't do tiktoks. Like get this text message from Kelty and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, can I support you in another way?
Speaker 3: Always like, can I support you in any other way? I just don't do these things on TikTok, and then I could just like feel the sadness on the other end. I was like okay, dark yeah, and so I was like I'm gonna do this. I needed a friend to come over and help me. So it took me a few weeks maybe a.
Speaker 1: Month, and she did it and she's a great person.
Speaker 3: I felt I had the same exact thing happened when our book came out, because.
Speaker 1: Did you feel like where are the people?
Speaker 3: I didn't feel like we're the people because a lot of people did show up, but a lot of people that I thought would show up didn't show up. And that was like really heartbreaking, real heartbreak, right, Yeah, it's like it really is. It hits you on a totally different level because I'm like it it takes nothing for you to like show support and like I don't even I don't even need people to post the link like you like some people that like know they'll post the link to like get the book here, and like I don't even need you to like post the link, just like support me and show that you're there for me. And yeah, that was like really eye opening and like really, uh it was sad. It was like a beautiful time because a lot of people did show up and show support, but also really heartbreaking time because you pour so much of yourself.
Speaker 2: Into this thing and then like yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So are not allowed allowed to talk about it because like we're so hashtag blessed, like oh my god, you got a publishing deal, you got a book put out that you can get in stores, like you're not allowed to be like wanh wah, Like I'm not allowed to be, Like wow, I'm just so bummed that more people didn't do the super Fan Dance challenge that I work so hard on because I had my my friend Alex dally On who was in that band the Cab write the theme song and specifically like employed by friends so that they would make residuals off the show so it gets spread the wealth, Like didn't just get like the guy that's been writing theme songs for one hundred years, like wanted someone news like where the people? But it's fine, I'm fine. That's why I don't leave this thing is.
Speaker 3: Also we have feelings, were human beings, and like that's I think that is something And the fact that you say you don't care anymore is like such a great place to be because I do care, Like my feelings really do get hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just like a sensitive flower. I'm trying not to be.
Speaker 4: But you're also like younger than me. You've got years to get to Yeah, I'll get there. And also like you know, you just I think the important thing and like this is even for not the everyday normy woman, but like anyone that is listening and like identifying with this is like you just get smarter. You get smarter with how you spend your time and how you spend your energy. Like I've been a people pleaser my whole and when you're at the office and you're people pleasing and you're that person that never forgets someone's birthday and always brings in the cake, and like you're killing yourself and you're not taking care of yourself because you're giving so much to other people.
Speaker 1: Like it is not a good way to live your life.
Speaker 4: Like you have to put on your oxygen mask first and really take stock of like what really matters, who really matters, who your people are, and then try to sort through life, like you know, and that was it's a big wake up call and it's hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought your book was amazing.
Speaker 4: Thank you and I think that it just felt like it came out had a like I don't. I don't feel like it had its moment, so it needs like a bigger moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it definitely didn't have its moment. You know, it can still it still has its time.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, and also like it's you can do that book and paperback, which I think is what you should do because it's hardcover and it's beautiful and it has all the covers and stuff like that. But like Danny Pelagreno just put his back in paperback and had to re release that was super successful.
Speaker 1: Like our books have too many illustrations and stuff that we never do it in paperback, but like I think you should do it in paperback as like a paperback and then with journal pages in between.
Speaker 2: It and stuff interesting. Look at that enterprising. Thank you Kelty Night, that.
Speaker 1: One's a free beyond me for doing the TikTok dance.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, thank you so much, and we are going to tune in. I'm gonna watch every single episode and tweet just to support you and thank you so much for taking the time to be here today and scrubbing.
Speaker 2: We love you.
Speaker 3: Starting out, wait, I forgot to tell you my Ellen story, which Ellen coopayo, what?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: I specially saved it. I didn't talk about it. Can I do story? I know, breaking me tee.
Speaker 4: I forgot, Oh my god, Okay, I saved this. I didn't talk about it on the podcast because I wanted to save it for scrubbing, and because I knew I was coming here. Okay, so I went nice, Oh my gosh, she's amazing.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: So I go to the Beyonce concert in Dubai. Oh right, okay, wait, did I tell you this story?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But I saw that you were there.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: So I went to the Beyonce concert in Dubai, and uh, my husband's music manager. He's not Beyonce's manager obviously, but we were invited to go, and so we got the full treatments. So I got to fly on Emirates in the first class like pod thing where there's only like eight of them. It's like an apartment. And so I'm flying and Chris is behind me in his pod and then it was like some some people and and I this woman comes down the aisle and she's got like you know, they give you like the cotton pajamas when you're flying it.
Speaker 1: When you're flying blown. Okay, So when you're in the pod, they give you like a pajama. It's like a very like jersey.
Speaker 4: Pajama set, and so most people change into that and they sleep in that for these long half flights. But this woman comes down and like her own knit thing with like a long cardigan that was like beautiful purple color.
Speaker 1: And I reach out because I'm like, wow, it's so beautiful.
Speaker 4: I reach out and I grab the cardigan as she walks to the bathroom and I was like, wow, great cardigan, and I'm touching it and I look up and it's Ellen and she's like and then she goes to and I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: My god, that's so embarrassing. I just like grabbed a celebrity.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So fast forward. We go to the Beyonce concert and I don't she let you touch her like that?
Speaker 2: She didn't. You could just tie out. Even if somebody did that to me, I'd be like, what I know?
Speaker 1: But she was so nice. Okay, So then we did the Beyonce concert.
Speaker 4: So she's married to this guy named Chris who's also in the music business and a music producer and designer, and he's really good friends with my husband, and so we went to this like, you know, day event and it was just kind of us. Ellen was sleeping and so we hung out with his names Chris as well. So we hung out with my husband Chris and the other cuss. I'm going to make the story short. So we're talking all day and we really bonded. We were like together for like five hours, me and husband Ellen's husband Chris.
Speaker 1: We really bonded, and I felt like we were good friend.
Speaker 4: We're having great talks, like really deep talks, and I was like, how's it like supporting someone and blah blah, Like we really really talking.
Speaker 1: And it was during a time where I was really obsessed.
Speaker 4: About why people don't get divorced, like what made you stay married? Because I'm like hitting my ten your anniversary this year. And so then we walk in. This is where it gets so bad. This is my Ellen story. This is where I really scrubbed up. Okay, like I efed up. So I walk into the hotel with husband Chris and my husband Chris, and I'm like and I'm like, Ellen, hey, and we'd seen each other like never officially been introduced, but like had been in the same circle all weekend and I just look at her and I go, why do you think you and Chris haven't got divorced yet? Chris Knight turns to me and he goes kelty and she's like, well, I think we just like really and she answered it.
Speaker 1: She gave like a beautiful answer.
Speaker 4: And my husband has never been mad at me in my life, Like he's never and I say the wrong thing every instance that's available, just much like this podcast. And we walk away and he grabs my hand. He goes, that was really unnecessary, and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, Chris Knight's mad at me.
Speaker 4: And then he's told this story like four times to his friends and every time they're like, whoa, you did not He's like, why would you open your conversation with like the most famous actor in the world by being like, why do you think you haven't got divorced? Not even like, God, you've been married for so long.
Speaker 1: What's the secret now? Why haven't you got divorced? Because you know there's some dirty stuff they've been married for so long. There's dirty stuff in my marriage too, and you're.
Speaker 4: Like, h well, I just didn't have enough money to leave him or whatever it is, you know, like anyway, So I'm so embarrassed. And then Chris was like, Chris husband was like, we should all get dinner. And so then Chris my husband texted Chris and was like, we should all get dinner.
Speaker 2: I said no, No, he didn't.
Speaker 4: Say no, but like we haven't at the dinner, do you know what I mean? And I was like, I saw their house and architectural digest. I definitely want to be friends with them, like set up the dinner.
Speaker 1: Oh oh.
Speaker 4: The other part I forgot to tell you is that then after I was so inappropriate, I turned to her and I was like, hey, I just want to say like a huge thank you, like I've watched you for years, and I did that thing, which is probably so anny when you're at the Beyonce concert, but like I was like, the way that you've been so outspoken about women and their salaries has really inspired me to talk more with about money with other people. And I was like, I know you get for it, but like it's really inspired me and I love how empowered you make other women. And then she told me like kind of a whole story about like She's like, yeah, people get really mad at me for being that way, but like I think, really, yeah, she was like, I think it's the most important thing that I do in my career, is like uplifting other people and making sure we all get paid what we need.
Speaker 1: And it's like a really nice conversation.
Speaker 3: So wow, that's she's definitely a modern woman.
Speaker 4: A modern woman. Yeah, with great taste, great hair, great face, sunshine mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's really nice to hear because I you know, it's like, don't ever meet your idol, Like, I'm kind of.
Speaker 1: Likely she doesn't come on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well I'll ask Chris.
Speaker 4: I'll be like, why do you think you're not divorced? And also would you like to have you asked? I'm sure, I'm sure we've asked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and it's like an open door policy.
Speaker 3: Anybody that has ever been on a Gray's Anatomy or at any point it was even an extra Grays Anatomy has an open.
Speaker 1: Door okay to the o R here anyway, amount of them. Yeah, I know you've had everyone except except Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, the next time I say her, I'll be like, why haven't you done scrubbing in?
Speaker 1: That'll be my first on. She'd be like what, I'll be a great card again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wait, just before you leave, why do you think you're not divorced yet?
Speaker 1: Oh? Great question. I really really like my husband as a human being. Like it's been hard. There's been times whay I hate him. There's been times.
Speaker 4: Where we've had pretty big fights. There's been years where it was like not great, you know, but like he's such a good person. He's so calming. He's really a champion for me and and I like, really we have the same outlook on life, Like we enjoy the doing the same things. Like he's not a big drinker. I'm not a big drinker. Like he's not a club guy. I'm not a club guy. Like, you know, it's like we have the same we want the same things out of our lives.
Speaker 1: But I just like like him as a human being, even if he was like burnt in an accident, Like I would still like him like his human even if I wasn't, Like, even if his beautiful blue eyes could never open again, I would be like, I still like you as a human But he has.
Speaker 4: Flaws, right, we all do, you know. But it's like like you know, it's like you're like, like you guys have a good life together. Yeah, you like experience life. And I went and like listened to our wedding that was for the first time in ten years because I'm gonna post them on our anniversary. I hadn't seen them since we did them, and I was like, still tracks everything we said. Yeah, still tracks one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: That's nice. Oh you're gonna get married? Yeah this is the one. Oh yeah, I mean I know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not sure when though.
Speaker 4: It's you know what. But here's the thing. Sorry, this is such a long episode. I'm so sorry. I could just talk forever. You have to let him do the thing. Yeah, Like I got really psycho because I really wanted to get engaged. And I remember standing outside the King's Gate to my husband and being like, if you like it, then you should put a ring on it.
Speaker 3: And it looks so obnoxious how I've been Yeah, yeah, no, you got a cell your roll?
Speaker 2: Yeah, cell your role.
Speaker 4: And because men they don't plan the wedding, they're never going to be surprised you ever. Again, like this is their shining moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very funny.
Speaker 3: So I like I've been wearing like a lot of white because I was like, I just want to wear white.
Speaker 2: When I think he's going to propose, I've been wearing a.
Speaker 4: So much wit no I saw in Paris. I was like, they're going to get engaged, right, She's wearing white every.
Speaker 2: Day, all white on my trip to Paris.
Speaker 1: So were you sad when you didn't get engaged?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was sad, but I didn't like the trip wasn't ruined because of it, you know what I mean, Like I didn't let it ruin the trip.
Speaker 2: But it's so funny. Beca is her big thing.
Speaker 3: Is She's like, I really really need Robbie to propose when you're not wearing white, Like I just really want him to like totally catch you off guard. And I was like, well, then he's going to do it like the hair salon or something, because I'm always on guard.
Speaker 1: No, Like I saw your nails are nicely done, like it's coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: My husband told me we were going to dinner. I thought there was all these events that I was like, Oh, this is it, this is it. Yeah, he told me, oh, we're going to our friend's house for dinner. And I was wearing leggings and a Nirvana T shirt, no makeup and an ugly Urban Outfitters, yellow cardigan, and he was like, oh, the front door is not Let's go round back so we don't wake the kids. And I went around back and it was all decorated and that's when you propose. I had no idea and it was the best.
Speaker 3: So chill leggings an a Nirvanisher. Yeah, I still have the Nirvanasher.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is very fitting, but you got to chill out, you enjoy your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you decided after our trip in Paris. I was like, take the pressure off. No, I'm just he obviously has a plan. Who would not lock this down?
Speaker 2: He does have a plan. I know of course he has a plan. Just when is the plan?
Speaker 1: But the planet you have a long life together.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's true. Thank you for saying that you got this. Yeah, I got this.
Speaker 1: You got this, and it's going to be And you know, he's not a dummy. He'll film it. He's got this. He's got the photographer lockdown, like, he's not a dumb ass. He's got it right.
Speaker 2: No, he's not a dumb ass. But yeah, I have no literally got no idea, And.
Speaker 4: Let him surprise you, because forever you this is a man you're gonna have forever. It gets less and less surprises.
Speaker 2: And Kelty is one foot up the door and love you bye.
Speaker 1: I'm literally like, this is what I would like for my birthday link affiliate link to my own Amazon page, you know, like it gets really love gets boring.
Speaker 2: Okay, bye, love you, love you bye.