Speaker 1: Welcome to Wired to Hunt's rut Fresh Radio, bringing you the latest reports from the White Tail Woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go farther, stay longer, and now your hosts, Casey Smith and Tyler Jones.
Speaker 2: It's the second half of November, but just like a twikie, the second half is the best half of the rut. This is rot Fresh. Let's go.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 2: Everyone? Welcome? Rot Fresh Radio brought you my first light year. I'm your host Casey Smith and Tyler Jones is here. I tried to see how fast I could say at this time, and I know that all you Northerners are just thinking I'm speaking a different language, so sorry you are. But good news is that what we have to say, uh is somewhat implicative for you. But we do have some Northern guests in today's ret Fresh Radio that's going to really give you all the deats on what's going down around the country. But first, Tyler Jones, the master of all things balancing, balancing life and hunting, and I'm actually not abo balancing stuff on your nose right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Uh, Tyler.
Speaker 2: We just watched a video where you were on the ground chasing a big giant buck. I would like to know for the folks out there, why you decided to chase that deer around on the ground as opposed to try to ambush that deer.
Speaker 3: And I think this kind of applies to us.
Speaker 4: One that hasn't been released yet. Yeah, released potentially, because I don't know if they're spending hardly any time in the trees.
Speaker 2: Well, you could also ambush from the ground somewhere or whatever, like groundbline.
Speaker 4: Because he was cruising and I just felt like it was the time was of the essence. I saw him and I knew he was heading to a certain direction. He's gonna be on his feet for a second, so I wait and got him.
Speaker 2: So you just made an impulsive decision to just get out there and get after him. Yeah, you got closed. And that's that's.
Speaker 3: Kind of the name of the game on the ground.
Speaker 2: Thing we've found out is that you got to try it quite a bit both so you can learn and you're gonna mess it up sometimes, so you can't be too in love with a deer.
Speaker 3: But I think it's true.
Speaker 2: One of the things that people are encountering around the country currently is some form of rout lockdown and you have deer that are coming in out of it, depending on where you're at in the country, the ruts and different stages.
Speaker 3: But we all hear about lockdown.
Speaker 2: We've been talking about it some and you're gonna hear some about it in today's interviews. But I do think that one of the ways that you can overcome circumvent what's another word for that kind of stuff round about? Yeah, you can, you can, uh, you can get over lockdown by if the deer aren't moving around, what what's the what's the X factor?
Speaker 3: You need to move around? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, somebody has to move for an X and a Y to intersect on a graph, right, And if you were the WY and the deer the X and you're trying to intersect the deer, the deer isn't moving, then you have to move. And so I think that that's a big, big thing that if you're struggling with lockdown, it's a thing that you can do to potentially overcome that stuff. Move around in the truck, on the ground, whatever it may be, and figure out where deer is.
Speaker 3: That way you can go hunting and killing.
Speaker 4: M hmm, yeah, I think you know, some of our guests this week probably have similar thoughts about some of that stuff too. It's a good way to blow up a property, it is, so if you don't have a lot of acreage or if you've got a target buck, that's just not probably the best idea in most situations.
Speaker 3: H Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also if you're hunting public land, it is public land and you have every right to use it. But I tend to lean towards being considerate of others and so make those choices whenever. If you are stomping around, you know, like, yeah, don't ruin somebody else's day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's uh yeah. I mean, if you're doing that kind of stuff within a half mile of a parking area, you're probably gonna run into some people, you know what I mean. You do it a mile and a half back, it might be a little different. Or if it's you know, open country, you can tell nobody's there. Or if it's a one parking lot parcel right then nobody's at that parking lot, then cool, go in there and do it or whatever.
Speaker 2: Tyler. One of the questions I asked people asks people a lot today in this podcast was are you going out trying to find those bucks in lockdown or are you waiting on them to come off their dos and catch them in their pinch points? Between those and you get different answers on that. What's your answer to that.
Speaker 4: I think it's depending dependent upon the habitat you're hunting, probably as much as anything. But I think for the majority of the country, I would be what I would be doing is I'd be sitting somewhere probably pretty close to dough betting or potentially in a funnel or pinch point. But for me personally, I'm not saying that I wouldn't do that, but I would try to find somewhere on the downwind side of dough betting to be because the thing that that buck probably wants to do is go find another deer pretty soon. Also, food is not a bad option because what you'll have I think a lot of times is if people won't talk about this very often, but when a buck comes off of a dough, he may not be quite as ramped up as he will be in say, fifteen sixteen, twenty hours, whatever, twenty four hours. So the first thing he does after being locked down for two days and not eating anything probably is probably go grab something to eat. And we do see this in places that you can put corn out. A lot of times we'll see where we don't see a buck for several days or even you and I have witnessed a buck being out like on the prairie for a few days in lockdown, and then a day later finally he'll go eat at one of our you know, corn piles, feeders, whatever they are, and we'll get them on camera. So I think even though they're not there long, there's two things that it's kind of a twofold situation where that he was getting a little bit of food, getting some cars because he has to have that every once in a while. And then he's also at a place that does frequent when he goes to corn, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: On that's subject of doughbetting, I kind of think that you could be there at the wrong.
Speaker 3: Time of day. What time of day do you think is the time to be there?
Speaker 4: I I like, man, this is a good question. Let me think about this for a second. So the bucks are going to find new doughs at night almost I mean often so because there's just a lot of traversing open country and road stuff that's like in proximity to roads.
Speaker 3: And everything becomes covered in the cover of darkness, right right.
Speaker 4: So want to you see deer that I hit her in the highway a lot of times at night because the deer don't want to hang out there until of a sudden it's dark and they're not nearly as worried. So a lot of times a dough or a deer is going to pick up a dough, a buck is going to pick up a dough at night, and then when the daylight comes, he's going to be shadowing her. So I think I would be more apt to be in the evening be around do betting.
Speaker 3: Is that what you think? I'm opposite?
Speaker 2: Okay, I think on that, And maybe it's because we're thinking about the situation differently. I'm thinking about bucks checking dobating that aren't on.
Speaker 3: Doughs, and so to me, well, that's what I'm thinking too.
Speaker 2: It makes sense that you'd want to be on dobatting in the morning till late morning because those doughs are gonna go end up bedding depending where you're out in the country between nine and ten thirty, and then those bucks are going to swing down windo those dough betting areas in those timeframes in the evening oftentimes, especially this time of year, if it's cold, dose might be on their feet like an hour hour and a half for sunset, and who knows where they go at that point time. That's when I think about being closer to food for the evening, because those.
Speaker 3: Dogs are gonna that's what they're gonna do.
Speaker 2: They're gonna go find some food that's potentially not in a wide open aggfield. And so you might want to be somewhere between that betting and that food because that's where.
Speaker 3: The bucks are going to cruise through.
Speaker 2: But I think like if you're hunting, like I'm thinking about a specific place that I hunted this past week that it worked, except the buck that I wanted to shoot didn't show up. We got some sick stuff of just the rut action. Though it was fun, but it was you know, there's the morning flurry of deer and then we had like an hour period we didn't see anything, and all of a sudden, here there's to at least three year olds that come cruising by.
Speaker 3: You know, right there we're set up down wind.
Speaker 2: I could have shot him a seven yards, you know, and it was like at ten o'clock probably.
Speaker 3: So that's my thoughts on the dough betting. It's a good thought.
Speaker 4: I thought that that one thing you could see, like one thing I saw a lot, was deer picking up the dough at night and then just sticking with them and bedding with them.
Speaker 3: You think that's what dough goes where she wants to?
Speaker 5: Do?
Speaker 3: You think he's taken her somewhere.
Speaker 4: I think most of the time the doe goes or she wants to. But I think there are times when a buck will take her somewhere. I'll at least head her off from a different certain a couple bucks being really great. Like I saw one buck stomping his foot at a dough making her go a different direction. This past week I saw it happened to where it's more like a sheep dog working where it's like, no, you can't go this way, but you can go the one hundred and eighty degrees that way. That's fine, you know what I mean. So it's like wherever we end up up here. I don't really have a whole lot of say to that. I just want to make sure that you're not going down there because that's where all the other bucks hang out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, why don't we get the opinion of everyone else around the country about what's going on in the woods?
Speaker 3: Right now? Tyler, who are we talking to today?
Speaker 4: We got Scotty Lego up in New Hampshire, a state that we don't often have on rut Fresh and I'm glad to have. There's a guy, he's kind of a random guy named Clay Nukelem in Oklahoma that is going to be on here too. You're gonna do some interviewing with him, y'all will probably he and Hall and p and Paul around quite a bit. And then Alex Comstock he's been out in the you know what we might call the midwest Minnesota. And Josh Elderton from West Virginia, everybody's best friend. Josh is up there just being a mountain man, hanging out and watching deer do things in a unique part of the country where deer hunted, kind of unlike a lot of other places. Awesome, let's get him on the phone. We've got Scotty Lego on the phone again. He did a Massachusetts report for US few weeks back. But now You've been spending some time in New Hampshire. Is that where you're from. Yeah, I live.
Speaker 6: I live right on the border of Massachusetts, so I'm I'm popping over to Massachusetts and and uh, you know, and Maine's really not too far away either, so gotcha cool in New England states, you know, they're a little bit smaller than uh, Texas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so weird, dude.
Speaker 4: We're like, yeah, we'll head over, you know, to another county a couple hours away. So yeah, so going over different states, it's so different, man. So what's been going on there?
Speaker 3: Man? What you been seeing as far as whitetail movement goes, Man, it's been good. It's been real good.
Speaker 6: We've been having some uh, real cold mornings. I mean, you know into the you know, high twenties or you know, low thirties. Movement's been really good. Not so much as of super regionally. The last you know, a few days, I would say, I feel like, you know, maybe the lockdown has started. Some of the bigger bucks you know, have have doze and there's little weird spots take them off in their weird spots or whatever. So I haven't uh, you know, by observation scene too many big bucks and my show cams have kind of gone a little bit dead, but I have about shoe cams on on scrapes right I don't feel like they're hitting scrapes too hard right now, but they're moving, you know, they're moving, and uh, you know it's it's it's been good.
Speaker 4: So would you say that you know, like moving into some of the more kind of uh like like I always think of like shelter belts in farm country. You know, like there might be a shelter belt up by the road, it's real thick. Do you might you know, take a dough into Is there something that kind of correlates up in that country?
Speaker 3: It's similar, Yeah, I mean I've seen it.
Speaker 6: You know when they'll they'll take a dough and you know bring them over by you know, some water, either a river or pond and have their scent you know, blowing blowing over an area where do you really just don't frequent you'll find them in like kind of random spots that you know a little chunk of area you know that you know obviously doesn't see any hunting pressure, but doesn't really see too much deer movement either. That's kind of where I've found where the bucks will bring the bring the dos for you know, doing their things.
Speaker 4: M m hm.
Speaker 2: So do you go and try to seek these places out and like try to play the chess game, or are you kind of gonna sit back at the places you know, we're good rut funnels and just wait on those bucks to break off of those doughs.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 6: I don't go try to seek them out. I just you know, randomly bump into them, you know, here and there. If I'm on the you know, if i'm the I'm on the ground or whatever, or obviously if I have an opportunity, you know, and I I do, you know, find a buck with a dough, I'm you know, I'll try to make a move, but I don't actually seek him out. I just kind of stick into the program, which is all new to me too. Like I'm still learning, you know, I've been hunting my whole life, but I'm still learning new stuff every every year. So this year has been a big eye opener for me.
Speaker 5: As far as sit your.
Speaker 6: Butt in the stand a lot longer than you than you used to. I always have a hard time with that, you know, I'm always itching to get out of the stand and from everything. What I've seen in the past is like, oh, dear, movement kind of just you know, stops like you know, just like the first two hours of daylight. But I've been, uh, I've been realizing that you just need to sit and stand a lot longer.
Speaker 2: So in New Hampshire there, what are we in the core of those dates that it's worth staying in the stand all day?
Speaker 6: I would say so, yeah, I'd say we're right in the you know, right in the core of it. Maybe a little bit on the the post side of it, on the late side of it.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: So with the with the bucks being in lockdown this past week, do you foresee them breaking off and being more active, being more you know, being more movement in the buck patterns this week? Or are they going to stay similar to last week with you know a lot of lockdown going on.
Speaker 6: I don't know, uh, I you know, I I can only I can only take my best guesses.
Speaker 3: But you know, you know, once a.
Speaker 6: Buck's done with with the dough, I would imagine he would be on the on the search for another one. I think they, you know, they know how to work good landscape so well, and you know they'll they'll be they'll be cruising out you know, looking. I don't know what time of day, you know, it might happen the middle of the night, who knows, but you know you got to you gotta be out there to get take take advantage of it.
Speaker 3: Mm hm cool.
Speaker 2: So with all that being said and kind of your observances you've had, uh, looking forward for the next week here, you know we're in we're willing to the teens and even into the twenties of November. Uh, what do you think you're gonna rank buck movement on a scale of one to ten for the next week.
Speaker 5: One to ten.
Speaker 6: Well, we do have a little bit of stagnant weather coming up here.
Speaker 5: It has been epic. I don't know if it's gonna be.
Speaker 6: Epic going going on too much longer here.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give it a seven and a half.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: It sounds like a pretty good reason to get in the woods. Still promising, still promising, Well, Scottie. I appreciate the report from New Hampshire man, and hope you have a great rest of the year.
Speaker 5: Dude, all right, I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: I hope you guys get a big one here soon too.
Speaker 2: Now we have got Clay Nukem for the Bear Grease podcast. He's been doing some hunting in Oklahoma. Clay, what's happening right now?
Speaker 3: Brother?
Speaker 7: Hey man, I'll tell you what it's. I think it's a good time to be in the woods. Yeah, really anywhere in the Midwest, but it sure looks like it's a good time to be in the woods right now in Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You've actually, funny enough, You've had some success and they're seeking more success, right So tell me what are the bucks doing right now in Oklahoma?
Speaker 7: Well? I killed a buck on November thirteenth, which was like a few days ago.
Speaker 5: And.
Speaker 2: That deer it was I believed.
Speaker 7: It to be a four and a half year old deer and that more horning. I had rattled that deer in and I put a little Instagram deal up, But basically I clacked the horns together early in the morning and that deer came running in. I recognized him. I'd had a picture of him, and he didn't want to break that forty yard barrier and I didn't have a decoy, and you know, he kind of got away, so he was bouncing around in daylight by himself, responding to rattling horns. That was November thirteenth, which is a few days ago. I killed that deer six hundred yards away that evening in a little post o pinch point, and you know, went over there, not expecting to see that deer and he was by himself again cruising through that pinch point on November thirteenth, which was a little surprising to me. And in that little micro area, that was actually the biggest deer that I had on camera. So I mean, I felt like it was, you know, like a dominant deer and he was not with a dough and on my cameras. Since then, I have I feel like they're locking down more because I have not got the pictures of.
Speaker 8: The cruising bucks like I was before, Like a week ago, I was getting a lot of pictures alone deer just passing in front of cameras, you know, and it's been a couple of days since I've seen that, so I would imagine it's kind of like.
Speaker 7: It feels like the bigger deer probably locked down.
Speaker 4: Clay, you called it a post oak pinch point, which is also known as a pop around here. Is the post oak is is that Why do you say that? Are they eating post oak acorns right now or what's the deal?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, they are.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 7: I opened up this buck stomach that I killed on the thirteenth, and he had uh pre simmons in him, but mainly post okc acorns, and and he had a little bit of corn. You know, they're they're feeding some corn around that area and uh but but not much corn, but mainly post occrens. And he was that's what those deer were. I saw that there's a lot of good acrens still on the ground over there.
Speaker 2: So you're using camera dad quite a bit? Are you running cameras over that corn to kind of keep an inventory?
Speaker 7: I've got I've got some cameras over corn, just in spots. I didn't get to scout this place until first time I set foot on the place I'm hunting was November the eighth. I mean, I've never even been on the property before, man, and I just kind of wanted to see what was going on there, and so I did put out some feed and a camera. Like in places that I probably wouldn't even hunt, I just had a day and just kind of bombed in there and uh, and they're not they're not hitting feed real good over there. Doesn't seem like to me, but it's because there's so many post oakes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're still kind of waiting on a frost for to kind of make a change in that stuff.
Speaker 7: It seems like, yeah, yeah, but there's also a lot of per simmons in that country, and I saw quite a few deer eating per simmons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but.
Speaker 7: I had a good buddy over there tell me that he feels like this week is a is a great week in Oklahoma, you know, a week before the gun deer season starts, you know, for both mont So what.
Speaker 2: Are you going to do tactic wise that kind of might change a little bit there, you know.
Speaker 7: I mean I can't. I'm just gonna hunt pinch points. I mean, that's really all I'm gonna do. I'm just gonna I'm just gonna hunt these little pinch points where there's food because they're there's food in there, so they're traveling, but they're also they're also eating, and we'll be trying to catch one in between dose or with a dough that's just coming through there. So one hundred percent I'm hunting these little pinch points, and in the area I'm hunting, there's a lot of them. They're they're kind of nuanced. They're not as clear as like a midwestern agfield creek pinch point, you know, a big agfields on either side. They're they're a little more nuanced over there because it's a lot of brush, a lot of brushy stuff and in some pasture no no row crop ag or anything. But you'll you'll kind of find these little bands of timber through there. Sure, and uh, and there's deer using them, man, for sure.
Speaker 4: So you've been seeing them walk down a little bit, are they do? You expect them to start coming off of doze as you go up there this week?
Speaker 7: You know, I've never hunted over there this late. It's specific and that in Oklahoma, so I don't really know, but I know I'm about three hours away and in Arkansas. Man, by about the twenty fifth of November, I feel like most of the breeding is done now, not most of the running activity. I feel like the bucks are cruising and it's a fantastic time to kill a deers the last week in November here, But it's not because they're chasing dose. I mean, it's more like that first week in November and then man by December. First my experience in my part of the world in Arkansas is, Man, they're like back on feed, acting like they don't care a thing about it though, just just but in between now and then, I think it'll be good. But I think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I believe you, man.
Speaker 2: And so if you're gonna rake the buck movement on a scale of one to ten over the next week in Oklahoma, what are you gonna give it seven?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 2: You already knew your number. You're ready to go seven towards number?
Speaker 7: Yep?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Does that mean okay? Since you're headed to go hunting right now, I can give you a special guest opportunity to call your shot.
Speaker 3: Are you killing another buck this week?
Speaker 7: Well, my son bear, I'm gonna call him killing an ice deer? Nice, I'm gonna you know, there's a two buck limit in Oklahoma, so I could I could shoot another buck, but I'm probably gonna try to kill a doe or two, and so that probably will hurt my chances of killing a buck and blessed.
Speaker 2: Ladies in the woods.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, but I'm not opposed to shooting. I mean, i'd love to kill another buck, and I'm gonna try, but I don't want to get too greedy, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure? Cool man.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope you all find some success out there. Thanks for the report, sir.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: Now I've got Alex comstock with wat tail DNA and he has been hunting his home state of Minnesota. Alex, is it freezing there or what's it like?
Speaker 7: You know, it's been a little too warm?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean we have we have no snow on the ground, which a lot of.
Speaker 7: Times we do by now, and highs are still. I think it's gonna push fifty today.
Speaker 2: So not ideal man, that's uh, you know, relatively. I don't know if I can understand, but I guess I know what you mean in general, the fact that it's warmer than what it needs to be.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: What are you doing right now? If you're used to, you know, those cold attempts to adjust for what.
Speaker 7: The deer doing, hoping and praying.
Speaker 2: That's a good tactic, man, for sure. Are you Are you struggling to see deer on the hoof right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It's super super sporadic.
Speaker 9: I mean I haven't seen a lot of deer in Minnesota this year in general, it's been a warm off fall.
Speaker 7: But like.
Speaker 9: You know, for example, a hunter this morning didn't see a deer, had a spot where like a really good buck came through on cell cam at eleven o'clock. That's the first deer to hit that particular camera in.
Speaker 3: I think a week.
Speaker 9: So it's just like super sporadic, which makes things obviously tougher on the hunter.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, if you adjusted your camera placements for kind of this dead middle of the rud or you still kind of have them all in the same place they have been.
Speaker 9: We're always shifting them, you know, and I'm bouncing back and forth between you know, still a lot of cameras are on scrapes because deer inevitably you're going to hit them at some point, but hard you know, between that, obviously your your classic fiddles or fiddels, funnels and points.
Speaker 5: You know, just trying to catch you.
Speaker 9: For me, it's obviously like I'm not hutting the rut trying to pattern into your own camera. I'm just trying to get a picture of one knowing that he's in the area per se.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So is the hot weather effect does it affect deer movement during the rut do you feel like or is it just gonna be what it's what it is normally.
Speaker 9: I think my take on it is that it's it's not going to do you any favors. How about that, Like it's not like it's warm, so don't go hunting. But I think yeah, I mean for us, like, you know, we've had some days peeking up and pushing on the sixties and you know, upper fifties, and I don't think it's going to do you any favors for movement. I still think deer at the end of the day are running and doing their thing. But I think it could encourage a little bit more nighttime movement.
Speaker 3: Does water come into play during harder TIMPs in the rut? Do you think?
Speaker 2: And what if I had areas with water? You got ten thousands? Man, come on, yeah, I.
Speaker 9: Mean I could just go set up shop on the edge of lakes period.
Speaker 3: I mean, you never know, I guess sounds cold, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: That's funny. So this week you still have stagnant weather coming up. What what adjustments are you going to make to still try to capitalize with.
Speaker 3: The time you can get out?
Speaker 7: Oh you cut out there.
Speaker 2: Sorry this week, you still probably have some stagnant weather coming up, you know, for the next week or whatever. How are you gonna capitalize on the sets that you do get to go out?
Speaker 9: Pretty much just gonna sit, you know, in the citts that I do get to get out. I'm just right now hunting historical stuff. So you know, I'm after a few bucks that I'm hunted over the course the last few years. So I put a lot of emphasis into historical data. You know, I know a buck was in an area over the given week. You know, there's a there's an area that a couple of bucks hit a lot last year over that Thanksgiving time frame in there, So that's where I'm going to kind of be then. So it's just kind of hunting based off that that data that I've recrued over over the years.
Speaker 2: Got you cool. So do you see historically mature books on their feet this time of year? Like, do you feel good about this, you know, kind of third week in November time period?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I I generally really this is I think one of my more favorite weeks of the rut, given that you know it's not going to be it's not what everyone loves with the first week in November just deer cruising like crazy. For me, it's more of the you never know what could show up just be worth those bucks are especially those mature year they're going for that last that last few dos. And I I really enjoy that time of the year because I'm used to not having crazy hunts anyway, and seeing a time of year and so with the thought of never know what could walk around the corner is piques my interests pretty much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, So as we look forward to this next week with the warmer Timpson all, just knowing that it's a good, good week for you historically, what are you going to rank the buck movement on a scale of one to ten.
Speaker 9: I am going to look at the weather right now, and then we do have a cold front coming a little bit on Wednesday.
Speaker 7: High's Wednesday on or in the mid to low thirties.
Speaker 9: So I like that, and just given that fact, I'm gonna give it.
Speaker 7: I want to be over a five, I.
Speaker 9: Really do, So I'm gonna give it a five and a half.
Speaker 2: Nice very realistic numbers there, but that cold front sounds pretty optimistic.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I hope that you run up on one of those big ones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 9: I you know, I was looking at footage actually the other day from a buck that I'm hunting right now, and I almost shot them two years ago on the sixteenth of November, and we had like probably eight inches of snow. So, I mean it's a big difference. But I'm gonna I'm gonna hope and pray.
Speaker 2: An awesome brother, will. I hope you getting appreciate all the report.
Speaker 5: Man, All right, thanks guys.
Speaker 3: On the phone right now. I've got Josh Elderton.
Speaker 4: He's everybody's best friend and he's up there in West Virginia hanging out in the mountains.
Speaker 3: What's going on, maun Man?
Speaker 5: Nothing nice, Kyler. What's happening, buddy? Oh?
Speaker 3: Shoot? Man?
Speaker 4: Just sitting here with k C and talking and thinking about deer. You know, that's how November goes, right, That is November.
Speaker 5: It's all about deer, all about just getting out there and getting after.
Speaker 3: It for sure. Man.
Speaker 4: So you guys been getting after it lately in West Virginia. What you've been seeing out there, Well, it's.
Speaker 5: Been going really good. It's on like Donkey Kong here, Okay. It started to Friday and flip the switch.
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay, is that weather induced or was this something else?
Speaker 5: I think it's weather and and you know, I'm a moon guy, so I think it's weather and moon induced. And since Friday, the deer movement has been really good. That's good. Been good in the mornings and in the evenings it's been and it's been a little sketchy in the evening's probably the last thirty forty minutes of shooting, like they've been moving a little bit, but the mornings have been fire.
Speaker 3: I got you.
Speaker 4: So, how are you guys hunting them? What kind of tactic are you using to get in their way?
Speaker 5: Right now? Our focus right now has really been glassing and hunting these old open areas in between the thickets. We've hung a couple of times. If we found really hot sign, if we find scrapes and stuff that's like ground up coffee and happened just within a few hours, we'll hang. But we're really focusing on the ground right now and glassing and either putting them on to bed and doing a true spot stalk, or most of the time right now with the rut, we're playing a lot of ambush.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds like fun. So let's get back to this moon thing. Because I'm a borderline moon believer. You know, I'm a little bit of a skeptic, but at the same time, I feel like there's sometimes some correlations. And right now, you know, we're just kind of coming right off of a big awful moon, right and so you thought that that had an effect on the deer movement. Now, what are we going to look at as this thing starts to wane and kind of move into like, you know, a half moon over the next week.
Speaker 3: Is it Are we.
Speaker 2: Gonna still see that uptick or is it gonna what effects.
Speaker 3: Is it going to have?
Speaker 5: I think I think that the first part of the week, it's gonna be a little bit slower, but you know, it's rut, they're gonna move. But there's an uptick in deer movement towards the end of the week, in my opinion, by what the moon chart says it's going to do.
Speaker 7: Now, I'm telling you, I'm there.
Speaker 5: I've always just watched the moon chart, and it's like when I'm out there Glass and Tyler that I won't see any deer in like prime time from the moon chart. Say it's nine to eleven am. And it just seems like at nine or nine fifteen, I start seeing deer.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Guys, So so what what I mean, what's the food source that you guys are out there hunting?
Speaker 5: So food source wise, I mean it's a lot of brows, a lot of sawbrars and c rps type stuff. But you know that we've got hit with masks this year too, We've got some acrons. But the deer out here, especially in southern West Virginia, even with acrons, they still tend to get out in the brows and the like. It's like prairie country. These reclaim strip minds are they still seem to get out there and that's where they like to chase and crews. So that's that's really what we're focused on. We're not focused on a lot of timber hunting right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So on that fresh sign that you're talking about earlier, are you finding that stuff on like little whips out there in that open country? Are you seeing that stuff along like the thicket lines where you're seeing rubs and scrapes and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: The hard edges between right there on the timber and the thicket is where you're finding it. Inside of the thickets. You know, these tickets, you can always find open areas that you know, might only be twenty by twenty in the Middle East thickets, but there might be one hundred by one hundred in the middle of them. And inside these tickets were seeing those hot scrapes and stuff too, and getting in these tickets amongst them.
Speaker 4: So what do you what do you think will happen next week? Is it going to still be on like Donkey Kong? Is it gonna be on like Eddy Kong?
Speaker 5: Now it's I think that you know, we were out Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and we were on. This was last week, so around like the twelfth, thirteenth, fourteenth, and fifteenth, we were out and there was a good movement in the mornings, like I said, in the evenings were a little bit slow and they were bumping and just kind of my cruise and the small bucks. We're out there trying to get a jump start on the big daddies. And then Friday, I'm telling you, it was like a light switch. I mean, you all experienced in anybody that's experienced, I mean, it was just like a light switch offen Man. They was running, grunting, snortweiz and fighting everything going on. And it's been like that since Friday.
Speaker 4: Got you so on a scale of one to ten, and the next week, what do you think buck Movement's going to be like.
Speaker 5: Nine and a half?
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, that's how I like that. I like that.
Speaker 5: I'm sitting in the office talking to you all and we've got two groups out and both groups are on Big Bucks this.
Speaker 3: Morning, old baby.
Speaker 5: So I know that the deer movement's really good right now and it's going to stay that way for several days in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well that's awesome, dude.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you so much for the report, and I hope those guys get both them bucks killed.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the time, Josh, alright though, thank you' all.
Speaker 5: Good luck you see