Speaker 1: My next guest is a now former star for Saint John's University. He recently entered the transfer portal and the clip for the twenty twenty five NBA draft.
Speaker 2: If he remains in college, the.
Speaker 1: Big East Player of the Year is expected to make at least one point five million dollars in NIL earnings next season. So joining me now to discuss his future none other than the now former starf for Saint John's himself, R J.
Speaker 2: Luise Junior. What's going on, big time? How are you, man? How's everything?
Speaker 3: What's going on? Good afternoon, Good, good afternoon.
Speaker 1: It's good to see. It's good to finally meet you. You got a lot of friends that are friends of mine. They've been telling me to meet you for quite some time. Congratulations on a great year that you've had. I have to admit and start off with this. I'm still pissed off at Coach Patino. I did not like the fact that you were on the bench for the damn near last five minutes of that NCAA Tournament game against Arkansas. I want to know that at now that you've had time to reflect on it, how are you feeling about what transpired?
Speaker 2: And where's your head at right now.
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously, you know, during the game, was kind of hurt, you know, just not not being able to you know, be on my on the court, with my with my team for the last five minutes to you know, be able to win the game. But I mean, you know, coach coach made a decision that he felt was best, and you know, I have to I have to respect that.
Speaker 1: My attitude and I think the attitude of most sports fan is that you you use what brought you there. I mean, eighteen point two points game, forty four percent shooting. Throughout the twenty twenty five season, Big East Player of the Year, Big East Tournament Most Outstanding Player consisted, second team All American all Right, and Saint John's won the Big East Outright in the regular season for the first time since nineteen eighty five and the Biggest tournament for the first time since two thousand. Even though you were struggling that game, what was your attitude did you feel like, listen, I can I can get through this even though I'm struggling this after knew what were you thinking at the time, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, I definitely was.
Speaker 4: It was a it was an off day, It was a rough day probably wasn't my best game of the year, but I mean, I just feel like, you know, there was still five minutes up in the game.
Speaker 3: I think anything could have happened. When I came out the game, I.
Speaker 4: I shot the two free throws and I cut it down someone possession. So I mean I was thinking, hopefully, you know, I hit those two free throws, I was going to be able to calm down a little bit. But I mean, I think anything could have happened in the last five minutes of the game.
Speaker 1: You know, I wanted to ask you before I show you a quote. I want to know what your teammates said to you at that time when it was going on. What were they saying to you or what did they say to you? And the immediate aftermath of the game.
Speaker 4: It was a kind of just letting like everything else soak in, you know, just the season we had, you know, thirty one thirty one, four thirty one and five since we lost that game, but everybody was just kind of just, you know, kind of sad, trying to just you know, just take it in, and they didn't really understand what was going on.
Speaker 3: You know, I myself was lost for word.
Speaker 4: So it was kind of the first couple of minutes in the locker room was very silent, and then you know, then it hit us, and you know, a couple of the guys was crying. Some of the seniors was was very upset, you know, just because you know, we weren't able to you know, keep on dancing. But I mean, after that, you know, we just hugged it out. We'd even talk about as far as like individual performances. We just you know, gave each other a hug. We congratulated each other on a great season. And it just suck to go out that way.
Speaker 1: Coach Rick Patino, when asked about it after the game, wouldn't elaborate on his decision making and why he had made that decision. People like myself and various other pundits, we were calling them out, like what the hell are you doing?
Speaker 2: That's not what you do.
Speaker 1: But nevertheless, he decided to speak on this recently, within the last forty eight hours or so, and I wanted to see I wanted to show you this quote, and I wanted to get your reaction in real time to what.
Speaker 2: The coach had to say about his decision.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 1: It was the right move talking about benching you. It was the right move because of where he was mentally. He was forcing shots and it was affecting the rest of his game. Luis was not only getting down about his game. He wasn't playing the deep we needed. He wasn't playing the transition.
Speaker 2: Defense we needed.
Speaker 1: He wasn't blocking out all the missed shots and the forced shots were affecting him. He just recently gave those quotes the Vice TV. What is your reaction to what your coach said.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm just hurt. You know. Obviously, like I said, it wasn't it wasn't my best performance.
Speaker 4: But I think it's a could have you know, could have did a better job, you know, picking my head up, and you know, you know, just just doing a better job, you know, coaching me up, like how he's done the whole year. And it just it just sucks to her said, you know obviously the way I played and the way we went out in the tournament. Uh, you know, I'm gonna take that with me, uh, I mean forever. You know, that's my first time participating in March Madness. But I mean definitely just just hurt. It's one of those you know, you can only control what you can control. And I mean, like I said, you know, Coase Bettino made a decision which he thought was best for the team, and I have to respect that.
Speaker 2: Is that why you're leaving Saint John's? Is there another reason?
Speaker 3: That's not the reason.
Speaker 4: I mean, I feel like this season I had. I feel like my my stock won't be any higher than it is. And I mean, thanks to my coaches and my teammates, you know, they've been able to you know, put me in a position to you know, take the next step uh in my journey, and obviously that's to play in the NBA. So that's really really my decision is to you know, to go on and you know, start the draft process and to see what what God has in story for me for at the next level.
Speaker 1: I understand that the draft process is the draft process, but is it possible that you could potentially end up transferring to another college or are you all in on entering this NBA draft and that's what you anticipate you will do.
Speaker 4: I mean I'm all in, but I mean, worst case scenario. Always got to have a backup plan. So obviously that's why I into the trans supporter. But I mean I'm fully focused and I'm fully focused on the on the drafts.
Speaker 1: What kind of game do you believe you bring to the table, now just for another college team potentially, but for an NBA team. Describe your game in what you believe you bring to the table.
Speaker 4: I'm a two way player, very versatile. I could guard multiple positions. I feel like I could defend at a high level. And I've I've improved that i could score the ball at all three levels. And I'm improving my jump shot, my three point shooting, which.
Speaker 3: Is very big in the NBA NBA game.
Speaker 4: So I mean, I mean as far as what I've done, like the last ten games, I think I've I've sat like fifty not mentioning the last game, but I mean I think I bring a lot. I have a lot of potential. Like you know, my persona, my person, you know, my character, very hard working, very determined. I've earned everything that I've been given, and I mean I just keep on improving. You know, I'm a late bloomer, like you'll say. You know, it was very under recruited coming out of high school, had to go to prep school, and you know, I just been working, you know for moments like these for these opportunities, and you know, I'm gonna just keep on putting the work into, you know, better, my craft. And I feel like, you know, a NBA team's going to get a great kid, a very humble kid, a very hard working kid, and a kid that wants to compete, and you know, just went at the highest level.
Speaker 1: I'm talking to the Reign and Biggies Player of the Year in the consisting second team All Americans, so we know you can ball. When you think about what you have to do, how far you've come, and how you've worked up to this point. Are you of the mindset that you know what you're definitely and definitively ready now and it.
Speaker 2: Would be best for you to be in the NBA.
Speaker 1: Now or is there a possibility that you might decide it might be better for you to wait and go back to school for an additional year before going pro. What's the whole mindset that you're dealing with right now?
Speaker 3: Oh, mindset? I feel good.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm healthy first and foremost, you know, coming off a double shin surgery. So you know, I just give the glory to God, you know, for allowing me to, you know, play the sport that I love so much, you know, just obviously just being healthy. That's really the main, the main thing I took out of this whole year. And obviously you know the performance I had individually as far as collectively with my team, I think we did something extraordinary, Uh this season that Saint John's hasn't seen it, you know, over forty years. So it just feels great. And uh, definitely I feel like I'm ready. I feel like me going back to school would uh probably be like a burden, you know, just because you know, I've accomplished so much and as far as like accolades and you know, just winning, I feel like it just it would just be hard to you know, kind of replicate that and and uh and match that next year.
Speaker 3: If I were to go back to.
Speaker 1: College, knowing that's still a possibility at the slight chance that you remain in college, what programs are you looking to transfer to or what kind of system do you think better best works for your for your skill set.
Speaker 4: I mean, like I said, uh, fully focused on the draft right now. There's definitely a Uh every school in the country has been has been reaching out to to to my agency with Rock Nation, But I'm really not even paying on mindset that right now. You know obviously, like I said, answer the transporter as a as a backup plan and just really focused on the on the draft right now. And if it comes to that, you know, we'll circle back and go back to that because you know we left that opportunity open. But definitely just I on the prize, just the NBA right now.
Speaker 2: When you talk to NBA scouts, this is something I would know about.
Speaker 1: Even though your crew, you know, O G One and the rest of the crew looking out for you the way that they that I know they will because they know everybody. When you think about what you've accomplished in your life, not just your career. Knowing NBA personnel the way that I do, they ain't gonna just add they think they've got your game down, pat They know what you can bring in, what potential you may have, et cetera. But you the person when they sit down and they ask you about you and what you will bring to a locker room, what you will bring to a franchise an organization. What is it that you like all of these NBA teams to know about you?
Speaker 4: I mean, like I said, a humble kid, Uh, you know, a hard worker, a competitor, and I'm just really just you know, just uh somebody that knows how to deal with adversity, you know, being overlooked. I kind of have a chip on my shoulder. So really just you know, just going in there determined, and I mean just knowing that, you know, all the hard work that I put has has led me here. You know, I'm gonna keep on doing that, you know what I mean. That's really it just you know, bringing in the energy and U do doing the little things that you know that that they need me to do. And obviously you know as I hopefully as I get there, you know, I'll develop, develop my game and you know, just keep on improving as a player and as a person.
Speaker 1: Anyone in particular you modeled your game after, or you'd like to model your game after.
Speaker 3: Uh, nobody in particular, you know.
Speaker 4: Obviously, you know there's there's people I look at, you know, that have the same same body type. I like I like Jason Tatum, I like Devin Booker.
Speaker 3: Uh, I like Shape Guild of Alexander.
Speaker 4: You know, just those big guards that are you know, not able to secure for themselves, but to create for others and I think that's something that I wasn't able to demonstrate a whole lot. I think I'm a way better playmaker, and you.
Speaker 3: Know what I've.
Speaker 4: Done in college. You know, just the floor space is very compact. It's a lot of guys in the in the gaps and stuff like that. So I think, you know, just playing in the NBA and is playing on a more spaced out, uh more space out system will allow me to you know, just showcase my playmaking abilities more.
Speaker 1: Talk about the experience for the NCAA tournament and what you believe is necessary in order to succeed well enough to win a national championship. Just going through what you've been.
Speaker 4: Through, I mean, I wish I could tell you. I mean I think I got a little taste of it. It's kind of hard to really tell you what really takes into that, you know, just because I haven't haven't been a part of that culture. But I mean hopefully I've been part of you know, building that that that that little culture asked Saint John's and you know, trying to get that program going.
Speaker 3: But I mean those.
Speaker 4: Are those are great programs, great coaches, and I mean it takes a lot, you know, uh as far as you know, the trans supporter and stuff like that. You know, it's hard to build that type of chemistry. So you know, just just got to, you know, go go where you're able to to build as a as a person, as a player.
Speaker 3: And obviously, you know, you gotta play with.
Speaker 4: A coaching staff that believes in you. And I mean obviously you gotta you gotta put the work in. Nothing's given. And I think all those teams have earned the right to to play in the final four.
Speaker 1: I know you transferred from U mass after one year to go to Saint John's the last two years, and obviously being at Saint John's did a lot.
Speaker 2: For you, your career, your future, et cetera.
Speaker 1: To close out, is there anything you'd like to say to somebody like a Rick Patino before we depart?
Speaker 4: Uh to tell them now, I just tell them, thank you for the opportunity.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, obviously.
Speaker 4: Without them, I wouldn't be able to play at Saint John's. And you know, obviously, get a get a good education. I mean some people may not know, but I'm actually a four point zero student. Oh I take I take I take them take academics pretty seriously as far as you know basketball, and I mean that's it. I just really just just thank him for the opportunity just knowing you know, uh, he took a chance out of care from Miami and he believed in me to you know, to come into the Big East and and to perform, and you know, he's he's allowed me to showcase my abilities at the at the highest level of one of the best conferences in the country.
Speaker 2: You said you're a four point oh student. What's your majorment?
Speaker 3: Sports management?
Speaker 1: Okay, right, so I mean what are you trying to do? Be an agent on your own agency? I mean, be a future president of basketball operations at GM.
Speaker 2: What's the ultimate goal down the line?
Speaker 4: I'm here if you sit here, uh in my hoodie right here, Me and my dad got our own own academy. Really just trying to you know, just help kids from thorough countries and really just you know, expand that platform and try to introduce you know, not only basketball, but multiple sports, and you know, just give him the opportunity to come over here. And you know it's not all about you know, finding the next professional, but just give him a chance to you know, succeed in the future and give them a better, better lifestyle.
Speaker 1: You talked about people from you know, from third world countries, other spots obviously, any any particular areas you're targeting.
Speaker 4: I mean mainly I got the flag right here, so we're just trying to represent the you know, the Dominican community, as far as the Ecuadorian community. Just just big on the Latin community. And you know, it's just been a that's also it's been a great blessing. You know, it's play in New York, the Mecca basketball where you know, Dominicans were back home.
Speaker 3: They say, you know, they think New York is a state of the United States. So I mean, I think it's just great.
Speaker 4: You know, it's to put on and just get all that recognition and love, and you know, this is to be a proud Hispanic kid. That's you know, put it on for those those third world countries and it's just truly a blessing. And I'm just trying to, you know, just just embrace the journey and do the best that I can to give back, keep.
Speaker 2: Doing your thing.
Speaker 1: Man, Really really proud of You're proud of the year that you have. Man, no matter how it ended, you still had a great, great year. All the best to you in the future moving forward. I know you're gonna do big things, but man, our j Luis Junior appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Man, thank you so much much appreciate, thank you. God bless all right, God bless h