Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Garth. Hi, everybody, welcome back to the I Choose Me podcast. Okay, so for this episode, guess what I choose you? I ask you, guys, what you want to know about my overall health journey. And boy, oh boy, did you ask me some great questions. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your personal experiences and being so vulnerable with me. I really appreciate it. We received so many incredible questions. As I mentioned on my story, May is Women's Health Month. Men, don't worry, you're going to get your time. It's only a week. But hey, we'll celebrate you and we'll talk about all that man's stuff.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 1: So back to my ladies. I am going to bring in Adele today. Our in house therapist, Adele House is in the house and we are going to discuss all things women's health. This is perfect because we've been through all the ups and downs of being a woman together, so it feels really right to have her here to do this with me today. Now, remember I just want to say, Adele and I are not doctors. These answers are going to be based purely on our experiences and our lessons that we have learned from our many years here on this planet. But this is one of my favorite things about women, that we are always here for each other and always eager to talk and share what we know. So, Adele, can you hear me? Are you there?
Speaker 2: I'm here? Hi? Denny?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 2: Hi? Oh?
Speaker 1: Are you ready? I want to ask you? No, I want you to ask me these amazing questions. Let's talk that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to ask you and I'm so excited. There's some great questions here. So should we just dive right in?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, oh wow. All right, So let's start with this one. This one is from at Mel McDonald. How do you not let social media enhance insecurities?
Speaker 1: Oh? Hi Mel, thanks for your question. That's a doozy. That's a question we've never even had to think about, you know, until these days of late with the social media and all. I wish. I wish this wasn't a question quite honestly, not that you know, not because of you mail, but because you know, it's unavoidable, right, Like, no one is safe from feeling insecure as they scroll scroll, scroll on the gram on the TikToker, wherever you're seeing it. It's really hard. It's hard for me too. I mean sometimes I give myself a no scroll rule, Like I don't go in and look at other people's stuff. I just go in and post my stuff and talk to my friends on there, you know, and respond and do things like that. I give myself a scroll break because it does it makes it can make you feel yucky, and it kind of sets a bad tone for the rest of your day or your night, especially if you're looking at that stuff at night right ah, before bed. My girls do that, They scroll at night. It like puts them to sleep. I don't know what's up with that, but that cannot be good for you. I tell them not to do it, but they do it anyway.
Speaker 2: I want to add something here because I've known you for so long and I know there was a period of time where you took a break on social media because it was it was too hard and it was getting into your insecurity. But something shifted for you. You mentally shifted and made it okay for yourself because you you have a business, and you have a presence, and you are a known person, and you decided you wanted to be a part of it. Do you remember what shifted for you.
Speaker 1: I don't remember exactly. I just know that at some point I decided to embrace all of it, and through people's comments and the stuff that I see on social it is educating me now instead of upsetting me. I tend to just go to the positive things. If something's negative or something doesn't feel good right away, I just go right past it because I don't have time in my life for that kind of those feelings, you know, and I know how they can sort of derail you, and I'm not interested in getting derailed anymore. You kind of have to make that. You kind of have to make that decision for yourself, Like I don't want I don't want to feel crappy. So guess what, I have the power. I'm not going to look at that.
Speaker 2: Yes, I saw that shift in you.
Speaker 1: And there's tons of people that I follow. I never look at their stuff like no offense. But I don't look at Kardashian stuff. I don't look at you know, the things that like that that are super out there for effect or to make people want to see more, like I just avoid that.
Speaker 2: So this is so amazing because I want to add to this, because this is One of the things that I worked on with a lot of people in therapy, and what we worked on is paying attention to your insides when you are scrolling. And if you're only scrolling like first trappy stuff or you know, like impossible beauty standard stuff, you better check in and see how that makes you feel. And if you feel less, then then your I don't want to say you're doing it wrong, but you might want to look at how you're doing it.
Speaker 1: You maybe start if you start following like positive feeds, people that are putting out positive content, body positive stuff, realistic you know for your age kind of content. Start following those people instead. And you know what, you don't have to unfollow the other people. You can just mute them, yeah, and go back to them anytime you feel like that's you need a little hit of it exactly. You have all the control, though.
Speaker 2: What do you think you want to go to the next one? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, okay, good, all right? I love this question. This is from at jay a Manny. I think please discuss the importance of advocating for yourself with doctors. I so begged my last doctor to do a hormone test and she refused.
Speaker 1: What ja manny go to a different doctor. Yeah right, Yeah, Like if you request something from your doctor, that's what they're there for, to give you the information that you're asking for. And what a hormone? That's a blood test, isn't it. So that's just a simple blood draw. There's absolutely no explanation in my opinion, why a doctor wouldn't fulfill your request. Absolutely none.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So trust your gut on that, right, trust yours. You need something, if you want someone, you're paying a doctor, ask them for what you need. And if they don't, I think Jenny's right, you move on to another doctor.
Speaker 1: I just saw today actually on social my friend and fellow Q fifty female doctor have doctor Mary Claire, have just posted something today on her site. If you need a verified referral for another doctor who specializes in women's healthcare. There is a comprehensive list there of physicians, like broken down by country, city, state, that kind of thing. It's so so helpful, So be sure to check out her website, thepauselife dot com and just click on menu and then go to pause Care. There you'll see it. I hope that helps.
Speaker 2: Love that and actually it's a great segue too. We got a ton of menopause questions, right, and you wanted to address that, So let me let me tell you one here, and then I think, you know, I think you're going to expand on it. But this one I love too. It's at kl Haydn and it's been this person is asking what kind of conversations with your significant other regarding your health changes around pre or peri menopause have you had?
Speaker 1: These are so good, I know, you know what. I love these questions because they're not like, you know, my usual questions that I get. You need to have the conversations.
Speaker 2: Do you talk to Dave about that?
Speaker 1: Mmmmmm? Just recently, because honestly, I am still in my pery menopausal phase, my peri menopausal era, and at first I was like embarrassed by it, and I didn't tell him anything, and I didn't talk to my daughters about it. I didn't talk to my mom about it. I didn't even talk to my friends about it, Like I didn't know really what was happening. I kind of did with the hot flashes and just the feelings I was having. We're all symptoms of perimenopausal things, and so I don't really talk to anybody about it, but now after having been in it for a while and having learned so much about it, because you know, I don't know if you notice, but menopause talk is everywhere now these days, like it is a hot topic, and rightly so. This is something that we women, lucky, lucky us, yet another thing that we go through that men do not. And there's been so much research and science and so much devoted to men's health, but never any specific to menopause.
Speaker 2: And men don't know about menopause either. That's the other thing I don't know. We hardly know about it. Women hardly know about it because our moms didn't talk about it, right, And I love that it's in the ether now and that everyone's talking about it and using their platform to talk about it because I feel like we didn't have any kind of mentors or models, and so now we can model for our kids and nieces and for men. I mean, I think that's what I love about this question, that yeah, you did you let Dave in at any point on? I mean, you kind of have to. You can't hide hopboshes.
Speaker 1: No, you cannot hide them. You get red, you're sweaty, you're taking your clothes off for no reason. I mean, Dave doesn't mind that he wakes up and I'm naked, completely naked. All of my clothes have come off in the night at some point yep, and he's like, Wow, what's going on. It's nothing, Do not touch me. I'm sweaty and I don't want you to touch me. But yeah, we talk about it now, and it's something that makes me feel better. I was just on the phone having a telehealth appointment with my doctor, doctor Brush, who has helped me so much, and you know, we're starting some different therapies and just talking about a little a lot of different options, and at the end of the conversation, all of a sudden, I just burst into tears because I was like, I don't know, there's some I feel so connected to you right now, and I feel so grateful for all of this education that you're giving me and this help that you're giving me. Like I just she was like, what's okay?
Speaker 2: Cry? Honey's so sweet because it is vulnerable and you're really letting them in and if she's helping you, it is so vulnerable and you feel so alone. So I want your doctor's phone number.
Speaker 1: By the way, doctor Julie Brush. But the exciting thing is because we did receive so many questions around menopause and the conversation perimenopause, premenopause, postmenopause, all the questions, we really want to dive into that, and that is something that I'm excited to do. We have, like I said, my friend doctor Haer is going to be coming on the podcast in the very near future and we're going to break it down and have some really great conversation about it. So you guys stay tuned for that episode for sure.
Speaker 2: I am super excited about that. Okay, So should we move on to the next question. Okay, this is from Er Divine or Divine twenty three and the question is can you tell us about your meals and your diet?
Speaker 1: First of all, I know who you are, Hi, Okay, I love this woman. She's amazing. Can you tell us about your meals and your diet? Okay? So I try to eat healthy. I mean, of course, like there's something that shifts in you when you turn fifty. I think your food choices all start to matter. Everything that you do for your health starts to matter that much more. And so I've always been a really super healthy eater. But I gotta say for somebody, I okay, I am a vegan to the point of sometimes I might eat a little chicken, So that makes me not a vegan. I don't know what that makes me. But I don't eat dairy. First of all, I personally think that dairy is the cause and the root of so many internal problems inflammation, gut distress, bad skin as a result of that. It's not because I'm lactose intolerant, which I have now become lactose intolerant because I decided to stop eating dairy for health reasons. Now, my body when I do have lactose or milk or dairy or butter or anything like that, my body is like no, thank you, like it doesn't want anything to do with it, and it's really uncomfortable. So I don't eat dairy, and I don't eat, you know, other animal products. I really try to stay plant based, except that one once in a while when I eat a little disgusting chicken because I feel like I need a little boost of of protein.
Speaker 2: So you're talking about intuitive eating, right, You're talking about that you listen to your body. You're saying you stopped eating dairy for health reasons, right, So something was going on with you those years ago, and you decided that dairy was causing that and you stopped eating it and you felt better. So really, what you're talking about is intuitive eating. Yeah, you listen to your gut literally, right, if you find that you have symptoms or you're not feeling well, you think about food first and what might be crieta.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean think about it because we're putting food in our bodies all day long, every single day, and it's such a that's what's keeping us alive. So obviously what you put in your body is so important. I try to buy organic whenever I can, and I have some really great recipes that I'm gonna start to share on social like breakfast I did. I did two great videos for breakfast. One is just this super seed bread that I It's gluten free, which is another thing I try not to eat is gluten. And I put on some vegan ricotta cheese on the top of that and some no sugar added jelly and jam whatever you want to call it. Big controversy there, and yeah, that like that's a great back for me. I'm a smoothie person. Though, also like I try to pack every all of my nutrients into one smoothie for the day. Then that way I know, before i even go to the gym or start my day working, I've got all my greens in, I've got my nutrients, my Amino's, all the things, all the things, all the things. There's a lot in that smoothie. And I'll definitely share that again with you guys as well. But yeah, Aaron, just keep it clean. You are doing a great job.
Speaker 2: I know you.
Speaker 1: I know that that you strive to be healthier for your beautiful daughters, and I think you're doing a great job.
Speaker 2: And I will add that, knowing you all these years, Jenny, that you I am always very impressed with your relationship with food and how you pay attention and you listen, and you you have in your home healthy options for you and your girls. Like every time I open your fridge, I'm like, oh my god, this is such a good fridge. They're always healthy options. You've just kind of always done that, So I'm just impressed by that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I try to like keep everything. We bake a lot, but we bake vegan. We don't use dairy, we use any kind of alternative butter or milk when we bake. When we cook, we don't use regular flour. We use gluten free flour. Just whenever possible to change a recipe into a healthier option, you know, into a healthier version of that recipe. That's what we all try to do here, and.
Speaker 2: What works for you may not work for somebody else. Right, it's highly feel visualized. So so what you're also saying is listen to your body and pay attention to yourself. Because at nineteen, I became a pescatarian. Right, fish is the only I'm pretty plant based, and then I eat fish and that's worked for me for literally since I was nineteen. Other proteins don't really work for me. So listen to your body and figure out, you know, what works for you by how food makes you feel.
Speaker 1: Right, very important? Thank you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, so let's see. How about there's a few on diet, plant based diet, How do you manage you know, weight gain and things like that? So I feel like you kind of covered that.
Speaker 1: What about this one from Beach Underscore Girl Underscore seventy three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so you're taking kind of te Yeah, what kind of tips do you have on fitness and mindfulness around eating, so we can expand on what we were just talking about.
Speaker 1: Well, when it comes to food and fitness, it's really important to eat something before you exert yourself. Whether you're going to the gym, you're going on a walk, going on a hike, whatever, going on a bike ride, whatever you're doing. Your body needs that energy. So I always try to eat before I go work out, and I try to eat protein right after I work out, and that's usually in the form of a smoothie. I just got this thing with it's like a blender you can take with you, you know, one of those, you've seen them, And I just put my protein powder in there and then add whatever plant based based milk or water whatever I can find after the workout, and I drink that on the way home. So my body's getting that protein that it needs to convert all that I just did into muscle. That's really important for lean muscle. And you know, that's it. As far as positive mindfulness around eating, that's fun because you can play with that one. I find that we just devour our food, you know, we like eat and we don't even think about what we're doing or just like shoveling it in, and you know, sometimes it's a social thing. Sometimes you're just getting it so that you can get your mealing because you're starving or whatever it is. But sometimes I like to play with it and just really think about how many times I'm chewing my food, like, think about slowing the whole process down. And I find that when I eat slower, chew more, my body is much happier when it comes to like digestion, and I enjoy the meal more. You know, it's about that mindfulness when you are eating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and bringing gratitude into eating right.
Speaker 1: Right, that's fun too.
Speaker 2: You think about who you're with, if you're out to dinner, how lucky you are to be out to dinner, and the gratitude of sharing a meal with people you love right or at home with your family, rather than just shoveling the food, Like, actually, stop, look around, think about I am so lucky right now to be enjoying a meal with my family, and I'm going to slow down and I'm going to think about this food and either where it came from or who prepared it. Right, So bringing gratitude into it is just sort of a natural mindfulness around eating.
Speaker 1: I love that And yeah, that slows you right down to iah that that's.
Speaker 2: A gay poet. Yay, let's see. How about Oh I like this one too. Okay, this is from at Leanna Swanson. What was the definitive moment for you to really dial in your nutrition and exercise or do you have one?
Speaker 1: Oh, Leana, I've had several one. You're as old as me. You've reinvented yourself a few times, you know what I mean. And when I say that, I mean like, I have gone through ups and downs with my diet, with my body, my body image, you know, there have been It's like a roller It has been like a roller coaster for me, especially being you know, in the spotlight sometimes and having to look a certain way and having people really critique things that they shouldn't be critiquing. So I've had to really have those come to Jesus moments a few times where I don't I notice, I don't feel good. I feel like I don't look my best. I'm like, you know, bogged down or puffy and all the you know, just that have that sort of fog. And I like being clear. I like feeling good. So when I have in the past gotten into into those unhealthy grooves where it's just about convenience and or eating my feelings away because I've been known to do that. Who hasn't. Those are the times when you're like, hmmm, I need to get a handle on this. I need to really dial this in again, because it doesn't have to be you know, a finite. It's your Every day you wake up is a new day to reset everything basically how you want to feel, how you want to see yourself, how you want to see others. So a great way for me to do that is in the mornings to just tell myself today is going to be a great day, and tell myself that I love myself and I'm going to take great care of you today.
Speaker 2: I love that. And you're also talking about awareness. You're talking about having awareness, and even if you're sort of if you kind of go under a little bit and you're doing some emotional eating, or you can even choose it. You can say I am incredibly stressed out right now. This is all sad. Yeah, I'm sad right now. I'm going to eat something for comfort. But I love the idea of owning it and even saying it out loud. You know, like I'm kind of eating my anxiety right. I'm anxious right now, so I'm going to eat anxiously. And then you just have awareness of like, Okay, I went through a three day period of that or a week of that, and now I recognize and understand that that can't sustain, right, That's not sustainable or tenable to do that for week after week after week because there are consequences. You feel like crap, you gain weight, you you know, there's all kinds of health consequences to that. So basically what you're saying is like I have enough awareness now and mindfulness that I will check in with myself and even if you are emotionally eating or something, you'll say like, okay, what's going on right? That's again listening to your gut. What am I going through right now? What am I feeling? And how can I address these and not just eat to cover it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then going you know, when you do decide that you're going to make a change, Like recently, I decided to stop eating sugar, like just cold turkey, and I know I could. I knew I could do it because I've done it once before, like in my forties, So I decided to do that again.
Speaker 2: And y'all, Jenny loves her sugar. Just say, God, you when I met you, you were a candy girl. Candy you loved the Remember the orange slices.
Speaker 1: The sugariest thing in the world, those orange slices with the sugar on them.
Speaker 2: Oh my, I would it totally put me out when I met you. Those are the kinds of things that you ate, like.
Speaker 1: Here's a healthy snack.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But also, just so you guys know, Jenny loves sugars. It love loves sweet treats. And you have figured out how to have those things in a in a you know, fruit forward way or whatever. But go ahead, sorry to interrupt.
Speaker 1: No, there's so many ways you can change regular cane, you know, processed sugar into You can use coconut sugar, or you can use maple syrup. You can use honey, you can use stevia, you can use so many things. Now, monk fruit great. When I use that to bake with. It's a great sugar substitute. And you don't miss it. Like once you cut yourself off of sugar, you're gonna feel so good in like a week. Give it a week and it's a drug. It's a drug. You have to like come off of it, you have to detox. It's like the I feel about sugar. I feel like it's like the most addictive legal drug. Like it makes no sense to me because it's as addictive as heroin in my opinion to me for sure, Like.
Speaker 2: There are some statistics out there that compare it to the addictive strength of heroin.
Speaker 1: That is, it's absolutely true for me, definitely true. And also, you know, coffee is another one caffeine that's also I think, uh, you know, a legal drug that people use, but it's not a drug. It's a bean. It's not really it's not really drug.
Speaker 2: But there are benefits to cappinge too. Like I'm gonna go to I am gonna I like my coffee and there are there are benefits to it.
Speaker 1: That's what That's what Dave says to all.
Speaker 2: Right, I feel like we're we are getting on.
Speaker 1: I could talk a long time about health and fitness and diet. Let's do another episode.
Speaker 2: On that one. Okay, Let's see what else do we have here. This one's good and it's really in line with the I Choose Me, you know theme at Wei Honus cactus.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, wait, what did you just say at.
Speaker 2: We honest underscore cactus?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, wow, I love this.
Speaker 2: How important is it to take me time? Yeah?
Speaker 1: That's this whole podcast is about. I choose me. It's so important for you to have I choose me time. I mean, there are times in my life when I haven't prioritized my me time and I get really run down and like depleted, right, like I don't have any anything to give at the end of the day. But when I find that when I take thirty minutes to take a bath or read or journal or just literally sit. I know I got this from you a little tip sit in my bedroom and look out the window.
Speaker 2: I love that one.
Speaker 1: Or even go outside and look out the window, or there won't be a window when you're outside, just go outside and just stare at like the beauty all around you, the nature.
Speaker 2: Right, it doesn't have to be action oriented, it doesn't have to be active. It can be right like when you were when you would go golf by yourself, that was a me time. It was you, you know, get your head clear, and it was active, you know. But I I also am a firm believer of literally lying on the grass and staring at the sky, lying in your bed and staring out the window. You're lucky enough to have a decent or nice view and just let your thoughts relax, let them flow in a way that allows you to just check in, because I think in those moments, in the quiet moments, your best information comes through. And if we don't do that, if you just go through a day and you haven't stopped, if you haven't taken even five minutes. I'm a big proponent of the five minute guided meditation, but if you don't stop and take those moments, you're missing so much information.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like your intuition. Yes, you start to receive the messages, yes, in a different way when you have that clarity in that space.
Speaker 2: And I think people I think people are afraid of that. I think people go, go, go and are afraid to stop. In fact, you use to be Yeah, you wouldn't even get I'm gonna tell on you. You wouldn't even get a massage fifteen years ago, ten years ago because it was too slow and you were afraid of the kind of that quiet time.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to remember what was going on in this No, yeah, no, I need to block. I needed to block that all out.
Speaker 2: You were like, that's a bad neighborhood and I'm not going there, right.
Speaker 1: I just kept busy, busy, busy, busy all the time. And I can still slip into that mode really easily because I love to do do do doo doo all day long.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but when you're right, when you don't, when you don't stop to just take a moment for silence, take a moment for your brain, just have a rest.
Speaker 2: You're not really missing. Yeah, I will say. One of the good things that came out of your painful divorce, and one of the good things that came out of you being alone and on your own is you. And you accepted the challenge, right, you got quiet, and I remember, I remember where you got quiet, And you even went on a couple of retreats where you by yourself, where you got quiet, which I hope you'll share at some point with everybody. And you started to trust it, you started to understand the value of it, and you you started to become even more you than you were.
Speaker 1: Just more settled.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite things ways to have me time. And I don't even know if this qualifies but I do a lot of driving every day. Like I don't know why, but now my kids are a little older, I don't have to drive quite as much. But whenever I drive, I like to just have silence for a while and turn off the radio and just be by myself in the car. That's my That's some really good me time.
Speaker 2: I think it totally qualifies. If you're getting that thing we're talking about, if you're getting that tuning in, checking in, listening to yourself, calming down right, then it's to me time. It qualifies, all right. Shall we move on to another question? M okay, I love this one from at Lucy in Flowers three. What are some of your go to things you do if you're feeling blue or listless? How do you lift yourself up?
Speaker 1: Oh, Lucy, we talked about being blue.
Speaker 2: Remember, yeah, we both have it. We both have rounds of feeling blue.
Speaker 1: For me and I know you will agree with this. It's about acknowledging it, noticing that you're feeling blue, and then telling myself, oh, okay, that's happening. I'm feeling blue, I'm feeling a little down, I'm feeling depressed. Okay, that's all right, And I allow myself to be in that space. And I probably learned that from you because you always encourage that. Because you and I we've talked about it. We've gone through life with this low grade depression, and sometimes it'sol a lot worse. I think, you know, my depression comes and goes like kind of like a roller coaster, like I will be having the greatest time and then for no reason, my vibe will just dip and I'll get blue. And I used to be really scared of it and think like, oh, no, it's wrong with me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you wanted to push it away, you didn't want it.
Speaker 1: Well, I need medicine, I need something to stop this. Yeah, But now I just kind of ride it out and love myself just a little bit more. And another thing that's really helped me is telling like whoever I'm living with, my partner or my kids if you know they're older now, and saying, hey, I'm just feeling kind of down today. It's got nothing to do with you. But just I wanted you to know that so that the people around you don't take it personally, because I often found, like with when you're in a depressed state, my family always feels it and they want to fix it and they worry about me, and I just kind of had to learn to tell them like, it's okay, I'll be fine. Yeah, this is momentary, This is not forever.
Speaker 2: That's so smart and they know that now right when you tell them, they know, oh okay, just let her be. She gets herself out of it. It's it's temporary. And you're right that I do agree with everything you said. It is a I think it's a lean in kind of a thing, right right. A lot of our inner turmoil, a lot of our conflict that we feel inside of us comes from fighting against something. Right, So lead in, lead into whatever it is. If it's if you're feeling blue, okay, you know, there are so many reasons why we might be feeling blue. Everything we're talking about today could be nutrition, it could be hormones, it could be situationally, and if you don't, if you fight it, that's where the conflict lies. But if you just go, Okay, it's one of those days, and that's okay. Everybody has them. I love myself. I'm going to be extra gentle on myself. I'm going to ask the people around me to just know it and be gentle on me, not take it personally, Like you said, letting people in, you know, and I love. I remember another I don't know if I was on the episode, but you talked about how Dave knows that you need a hug and it can be so soothing and calming. Just to say I'm kind of struggling today, I'm feeling I say to my partner, I'm feeling blue today, and she knows immediately she just goes, Okay, Annie, I got you. She doesn't know how to do anything, you know, let me know what you need and I will.
Speaker 1: I love that are what are like some of your go to things though, specifically that we can do to lift us up. We talked about like going outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean I nature, Yeah, definitely, taking walks always sort of just uplifts right being outside, being in nature.
Speaker 1: You told me last time to go hug a tree.
Speaker 2: Now I will say I've been to discancel gardens a couple of times and you might have seen me hugging a tree. That was me. Yeah, you know. And but the other thing is, and I think I said at last time, like one of my favorite things is to check out to television. If I don't want to be in my head. And you know, it's usually a comedy, like I'll pop on a Will and Grace or something and it just it just makes me feel happy. What about you?
Speaker 1: I love to like be with an animal, like I have dogs. If I just look into my dog's eyes and you know, just spend time with my dogs or Oh the best is if you have access or can find a horse, go hug a horse. I'm telling you, they absorb your feelings and it's the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree with that. I think all animals are emotional support animals. Do you know what's so funny is I'm fully having a hot flash right now that we're talking about women of a certain age women's health. Yeah, women's health flash, menopause hot flashes. I remember one time you and I were I had just had my hip surgery, which I know you're going to talk someday about yours, but you came to visit me and you brought me like I think we had like a like a crafts project. When we were sitting on the couch crocheting like a couple of ladies of a certain age, and we both were hot flashing and crocheting. Oh my god, and I thought I felt so happy, like Jenny and I are growing old together. It made me so happy, like we've met in our twenties. There's something I know, but there's something there's something so beautiful about that to me. All right, let's go to another one. Oh God, totally flogging up.
Speaker 1: Take it off, take it off?
Speaker 2: Oh I can't. Okay, Oh, here's here's one that fits kind of like the same theme. So this is at free Rosemead kri I Rosemead.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: How do you find ways to heal emotionally? So similar mid.
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 1: I think for me it has been that going back to just turning in, you know, giving myself that chance to get quiet and just be with myself. That's so healing for me.
Speaker 2: So again, it's not avoiding it, it's leaning into it and not being afraid of it.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. I mean I have done, you know, all kinds of different therapies and different modalities for well being and mental health and even physical health. Like I love learning and growing in experiencing all different things. Some of the best me time that I've ever had have been when I did go I took a trip by myself once and that was just like the most healing experience that I ever had. Probably I went to sen what is it? How do you say this, San Miguel de yayindo de ya yenday think yeah, yenda. Anyway, I went there and it's just such a spiritual, like very chill place, and I just walked around on the streets by myself, you know, in a safe neighborhood of course, and I just had that me time, you know, that just solo time to be quiet and allow myself to be whatever it is.
Speaker 2: And that takes such courage. I mean, especially when you're kind of you know, you've got a family, you've got kids, you've got a job.
Speaker 1: You're very hard to carve out that time, carve it out.
Speaker 2: But also, and maybe this is just me, but I feel I would feel scared going by myself. And yet the value again that comes from that alone time. I just I commend you for the courage of that too. And also being a known person in the world, it just seems like that that was so that was big. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, when you got to take care of yourself, nothing matters. You just you'll know, you know, when you need to get away and have that time with yourself and do it well, need it happen.
Speaker 2: Will you share a little bit about the modalities that you have used, like therapy and other things.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know what, I just found my journal from my moon what was it, Moonview moon?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Moonview Sanctuary.
Speaker 1: Moonview Sanctuary experience that you MA made me go to literally forced me to go there maybe during a very dark time, and I spent some some really intense time there for a couple of weeks. And I just found my journal that talks about all the different people that I met with every day I was there at this place from like nine to five.
Speaker 2: All the different healers, right, they had to be a modality. Do you remember any of them?
Speaker 1: No, I'd have to I have to look at my journal. Well, there was talk therapy, talk therapy. There was like, so what's the SOMA so mathematic? There was e m d R EMDR yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: People can look that up. That's a you know.
Speaker 1: But there was also I love EMDR. We should talk about that sometimes. Yeah, MDR is great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have an EMDR therapist on to talk about the benefits of it, because it is like fast tracking talk therapy. It's really cool. But you have been to therapy. You've been in and out of therapy for how many years?
Speaker 1: One hundred.
Speaker 2: And you are an advocate for it if you can, and you can always. I know it can be expensive, yep. But just like we, you know, we got we put money into our physical health, we have to put money into our mental health. And there are a lot of low fee and no fee clinics in every city, so you can always look at you can google whatever city you're in, whatever z it code you're in, you can google low fee and no fee therapy clinic or low fee mental health and you should be able to find, uh, you know, in your area, some kind of a clinic that does either. It could be zero, it could be ten dollars, twenty dollars.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, I am googling right now because therapy is expensive.
Speaker 2: It is. It's expensive, and you know, if you're lucky enough to have health insurance that can help with.
Speaker 1: It but also cover all though health insurance doesn't do what it should for our mental health for sure. For sure. I wanted to talk to at Joanna Underscore, Lorraine Underscore, Leslie, who asked about healthy eating and movement tips for a healthy heart. She says that she had a heart attack at forty six, and that is young for you. But there's so much I want to talk about around heart health and how to help ourselves, how to know our risk factors, what to ask a doctor for when you go see a cardiologist. There's so much I want to talk about. But I want to bring in a specialist, a friend of mine from the American Heart Association. So we are going to do that, do that question right by doing it an in depth dive into heart health. So stay tuned, Joanna, You're going to like that.
Speaker 2: So it's so important for women especially, and you have been involved and active with the American Heart Association for twenty plus years. Yeah, and it's different for men and women heart. So I'm really glad you're going to cover that. And I'm so glad she wrote that question. I'm glad she's still around and thinking about how to stay healthy me too.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Adele for helping me get into these questions.
Speaker 2: You are so welcome.
Speaker 1: I hope our listeners loved it.
Speaker 2: It was super fun. I love I loved it, and I love always talking with you about these things. And thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: You're an expert well, and so many things.
Speaker 2: On my life and a little bit on your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're my go to so and so. Being able to share you and your knowledge with everyone that's listening to this is truly a gift. And I think like, because I've been so fortunate to have you in my life and all of your knowledge and just your care, I feel so blessed that I'm able to now share that with other people. So thank you for allowing me to do.
Speaker 2: That my pleasure. I love you, I'll see you later.
Speaker 1: Bike, I love Q and A's and hearing from all of you, We're gonna have to do more of that in the future. And again, thank you Adele for joining me. I want to leave you guys with this. We have been working on looking in the mirror and giving ourselves some much needed love. I've heard from some of you that you've been doing this and feeling the positive effects, and I'm so so happy about that. I want you to keep doing that, keep that up, keep doing that every day. I promise you it will make you feel better. But I want us to build on this. Since this week was about questions, I want you to ask yourself a question. Ask yourself, what is it that I love about me? Just think of one thing. I love that I am kind, I love that I am a good listener. I love my beautiful feet. I don't care whatever it is. And if you don't have an answer, that's okay. Just ask the question and wait for the answer. It will come if you just get quiet, ask the question and listen. I know that I love that you chose to spend time with me today. I am so grateful for you. I will be here next week, and I hope you will too.