Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three oh seven, Episode two of Danny's gay.
Speaker 2: Production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's shared consciousness. And it is Tuesday, October third, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, National Techies Day. Kind of a kind kind of appropriate, yeah for our guest. Today's also yeah, National Fruit at Work Day. I don't know what I think. It's a picture of an apple and a laptop, so hey, fight into your favorite fruit while you're at work. Uh, and you know, holler at your techies today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a behavior, bringing fruit to work, a behavior that needed to be honored and defended with a national day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's been maybe a decade since I heard somebody use the phrase techie. Yeah, so outdated, like a like nineteen eighties, like that there would be a movie about like tech people that turn into zombies or something. Crist right, Yeah, yeah, very Anyways, my name is Jack O'Brien aka Potatoes O'Brien, and I'm thrilled to be joined as always.
Speaker 2: By my co host, mister Miles Gray. You know it's Miles Brad.
Speaker 3: I'd love to do a long AKA, but we got a lot to talk about, so I'll keep it short. It's your favorite black and Theese experimental visual artist Yo Boy Kusama. Thank you so much for having me back.
Speaker 1: You're welcome, Welcome, Welcome back, Miles, Miles.
Speaker 4: We are thrilled to be joined in our third seats by an author, a documentarian who MIT called one of the world's ten most influential intellectuals.
Speaker 1: He's published many twenty books, including the one we're going to be talking about about today, Survival of the Richest Escape Fantasies of the Tech Billionaires. Please, Welcome to the show, Doctor Douglas rush Cobra.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome, Thanks for having me, Thanks so much for joining us. Yeah, like we were saying before, we're we talk like we always like to have experts on on certain things. And one thing we always keep hearing about is like the scaries that billionaires get when they think about the poor people rising up. And we've like we've touched on like people buying properties in New Zealand and like these like billionaire escape bunkers and things like that, and so when we were wanting to sort of discuss this further, it was like it was just great to like sort of see your work sort of completely overlap with that, but also have like a larger look at like it's really not so much about the bunkers themselves, but the flawed thinking around even wanting a fucking bunker to escape it all. So, yeah, we're really stoked to have.
Speaker 2: You on that. Cool no, and thanks for that too, because some you know, I write this book and there's this opening scene right where I meet the billionaires who all want advice on their bunkers, and most of the journalists and newspapers and stuff who've covered it, they're like, oh my god, the billionaires are going to leave us behind. This is happening, and it's like, dude, read the book. These guys are pathetic. None of this is working. The whole point of that scene it's a comedy. It's a comedy. This is laughable. These guys are nuts, right yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it kind of leaves that behind pretty quickly, yeah, and then focuses on, you know, like tells the story of how we got here, why we are here. If you needed any evidence, any more evidence that we are here, there is a sixty minutes piece I think last this past week where they were talking about Sam Bankment Freed, and like Michael Lewis was like, man, he's a great guy. Like the world needs a Sam Bankment Freed to like save us from ourselves type shit.
Speaker 2: Oh no, he was saying that, I know he's got a new book, Michael Lewis. You know he's like Moneyball great right or yeah, the Big Short and he's he's got a book coming out like next week or the week after about Sam Bankman Freed, And people don't know that's the crypto crazy he you know, giant crypto crash. He took zillions and billions of dollars of people's money with him on this basically, I mean maybe he meant well, but it was a crypto pyramid scheme that he was running. And but the weirder thing is like he's an effective altruist. He's he's basically one of these people who believes that the human beings alive today, like the eight billion people around we're just like the Larval stage of humanity. We're like the maggots on the original medium, and the ones that matter are the posthuman ais that are going to spread throughout the universe. So if you have to make choices now that cause pain and suffering for these little eight billion worms. It's okay because the super ais are going to be are going to be happier and.
Speaker 1: We will we will be come how many people there are going to be before like after that? The direct quote from michae lewis there is still a Sam bankmin Freed shaped hole in the world that now needs filling. Yeah, I'd say maybe not so, but but yeah there is. I mean, you talk in your book about when Jeff Bezos went to space and like this big media kind of orgasm that they had about just this idea of like a private person. We're now at a place where a private person can get so rich that they can go to space. It's like the the ultimate deliverance of the American dream, like on a cartoonish scale. But yeah, it's like people, really it does seem to be of the zeitgeist to like buy into this shit still, like we're starting to see some of the magic wearoff thanks to Elon Musk being a public dipshit, but it's it's still a mess. So we're going to dig into all of all of that stuff plenty more before we get into the content of your book. We do like to ask our guests if there's something from your search history you would be so kind to share with us that's revealing about who you are or what you're up to.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know how revealing it is, but I look to see what it was, so I would be honest, right, And what's the last search history? Right? It's not unfortunate. It's not some cool porn thing. It was. It was what and that wouldn't be on Google anyway, but it was, Uh, which COVID vaccine has less side effects that MODERNA or Pfiser? Because I had to go in for one today and they said that it seems that Pfiser's got less side effects. And I guess that's revealing about me, because I'm like, I'm so torn as so I'm not even a COVID scept skeptic anymore. I'm just a COVID confused nick. Right, where did it come from? Is it bad? Is it less bad than they're saying? Is it more bad than they're saying? So I figured I would I would kind of split the difference by finding whatever whatever vaccine, I'll take it. But I wanted to be the least the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of the vaccine, which COVID vaccine the best that would be how I would search. I get very dumb when I'm talking to Google, Like I feel like I have to talk to Google like I have frontal lobe damage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well the vaccine probably too. Like when I saw the thing about like Maderna being like slightly more like effective, I was like, yeah, yeah that's me, that's me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, got that one. Yeah, has less side.
Speaker 1: Effects including working. Yeah, yeah, it doesn't work. That's what we identify with here at this show.
Speaker 2: But madern is like, you know, ten times the dose of Pfizer. So it's like it's more strong, but it's like we'll be able to I'll take the less strong. It's like I'm gonna have the Costa Ricum blend rather than the French dark French.
Speaker 3: Roast, French roast, right, sure, sure, sure, I'm not going to get the Vietnamese iced coffee version of it.
Speaker 1: Still haven't had it, but still circling. What is something that you think is overrated?
Speaker 2: Hey, I AI is really I mean, honestly, so far AI, the chat ept and all that. It's like a It's like a skin on a Google search box. It's like instead of getting the Google searches, it pulls like the best paragraphs from the things that would have been in the search and throws them together into something that sounds kind of like Wikipedia, but it's actually like wrong. You know, if you.
Speaker 5: Type India without the fact checking, yeah, you type in you know what weighs more a pound of lead or five pounds of feathers, it'll say they weigh the same, right, because it's finding the text and most of the times people have talked about feathers, weighing feathers and weighing lead, the answer has been they're the same.
Speaker 2: And it just shows this whole it's this whole reversion to the mean. It's like, let's get the most average possible answer out of out of the data, and that's really good for society looking for innovation and new ideas, Like let's just revert to the mean, right, But the means sucks if you want to go there. And then like the other one is, uh, you know, mid journey people are showing me, oh, look at this beautiful thing I made on mid Journey, and I'm like, it's kind of like listening to somebody's acid trip. It's like, I know it was really good for you, But to me, it just looks like some airbrush thing on the side of a van. Right. It's like, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 3: Sure it's like Tom Hanks his face on a bus. You're like, yeah, but it's uncle bus.
Speaker 2: Whoa. You're like, okay, okay, right, So the problem. I'm sure it was really fun for you to interact with that AI and get that stuff, but the result the kind of keep it to yourself. Man, I just don't. I don't really care. So yeah, A, I just feels like I don't. Also, I get the interviewed so much about it lately, like oh, is it gonna cost our jobs? Is gonna cost our consciousness and the future of you? I'm just like, oh, just shut up. I'm just tired of it as a thing.
Speaker 3: It's funny because we were on that same journey too, Like the last couple of weeks we've had specialists on in AI and we're like, I saw it, Skynet, It's terminator or what like no, no, oh, okay, great, They're like, at best it can do you know, it'll it'll it'll crush it trivia night if you have it on you right on.
Speaker 1: Some like and then every seventh question, it will just get completely wrong. Oh and in a way that makes you wonder, like makes everybody be like, is he Okayah?
Speaker 2: If it's going to replace jobs, it's gonna replace ship jobs, you know. And if it's not a ship job it's replacing, well, then it's going to do a ship job on a job that needs someone good. It's like you don't want to watch the AI movie or go to the AI doctor. It's like, no, thank you, I'll do that. But but going back to the tech bros, they're the ones who bought in the most to it. It's it's a tech bro. I was at one of those one of those you know, tech bro retreats and a guy, one of the guys who came up with one of the social apps that I'm sure everyone is used once or twice on their phone. Your kids used it more. But one of the guys who came up with one of those apps was asking me if I'm afraid because he's he's been looking at what I've been publishing about AI, and am I afraid that when the Ais are in charge, they're gonna, you know, come after me for saying negative things about them? And I'm like, dude, all right and he and he said he doesn't publish anything at all about AI online so that in the future the AIS won't attack him. And I'm like, God, if you think the AIS are so smart, aren't they going to be able to infer from your selective removal of all reference? Aren't they gonna be for how you think?
Speaker 1: And he's like, oh fuck, you know no, they're smart enough to hack the entire like World Bank and you know, the Pentagon, but they're not smart enough to infer subtext.
Speaker 2: That's beyond them, right, and that with the tech pros are the AIS? I mean that's right either.
Speaker 1: It is well, like the I was reading that Atlantic article on Sam Altman and his you know, the fact that the guy who's the CEO of open AI, and he's like, put, you know, he has his bunker and like all his guns and a Cinai capsule that he told the New Yorker like he's ready to go at a moment's notice, and like seems like such bullshit.
Speaker 2: Truly feels like.
Speaker 1: The like they are using this to generate hype because all publicity is good publicity, because the whole thing is just monetized by stock market hype.
Speaker 2: But in the same article.
Speaker 1: Where he's like, they're gonna come for all of us, and in that moment, I don't even want to be around to see what they do to my family.
Speaker 2: Sinai capsules.
Speaker 1: In that same article, he's like his one of his lead technologists is like, I don't think we're even close to getting the level of accuracy on Wikipedia, like Wikipedia is known for, and they're like, I don't know that we ever will get to the level of Wikipedia. And a few years ago, Wikipedia was known as like a thing that you can easily hack and like change the data to say whatever the fuck you want, like that that is not a realistic, like you know, way to fact check anything, or it was like shorthand for like the lazy way to fact check something. And now it's like they're like holding it up as as an unattainable goldstone.
Speaker 6: It's yeah, well, yeah, it's because the AI is. It's not AI is not about figuring things out. AI is is this sort of weird imitation of language. It's more looking at, you know, how do you what would be the most probable next letter, what would be the most probable next word? And it's it's a weird language game.
Speaker 2: But it doesn't. That's the thing it does. It's not thinking about anything. The only thing that's weird about AI is how it might be employed, you know, in the service of whatever capitalism or manipulation or something else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that's it's clear to see those dangers like immedia. I'm like, oh yeah, every like business owner would probably try and be like, all right, how I get rid of workers by using this? But again, that seems to be like the most direct sort of feasible threat that I can see at the moment.
Speaker 2: But yeah, right, And the only problem with getting rid of workers is if you don't feed the workers. After that. It's like, I was doing this thing on CNN and they were like about AI, and there I was. I was kind of poopooing the threat of AI, and they're like, well, what about the unemployment problem? And I look. It was like Jake Tapper or somebody, and I look at him and I go, but what about the unemployment solution? It's like, since what is I don't really need to be a I don't have employment as a goal, right, Yeah. I want stuff I want meaning I want to maybe work on things, but employment let's look at let's you know, let's look at some of our underlying assumptions here. So it'd be great. I mean, the thing is that the discussion that AI could create is so much more interesting than the world it would create, because it's not going to replace the job. It just it isn't. Sadly, that's not at least not how we how we would use it, you know, and we'll just create a new kind of work, which is like consumption, like going to the mall or whatever it is we're supposed to do to keep those things alive.
Speaker 1: Right, I could see a world where they like over rely on it, like we're already seeing it in Like I keep talking about this one headline I saw in the margins of a news article that was and I used to write like headlines for a website that I ran called Cracked, And I would like I paid attention to headline writing. So I'm like, I have like a loose like I noticed when headlines are well written, Yeah, and I noticed when they are great.
Speaker 2: I was a headline editor on my college paper too. I just loved it. I mean, it's a great thing to conceive it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so I you know, I've noticed an overall drop in quality of like the headline t's of late like just a backwards slide. But recently I saw one there was a picture of Vince Vaughn and it said it's no big secret why Van Vaant doesn't work in Hollywood anymore, and it was just like, yeah, they have Like I feel like they're already turning it over to AI. The AI is doing a shitty job, but like they don't care because they get to say they're using AI and that powers their stock price. And I like, in the same way that like the before we had a actual actually functioning internet, we had like the dot com bubble burst, I feel like we might see an AI thing where they try to replace all the jobs with AI and it does an incredibly shitty job, and then they somehow use that catastrophe to then you know, hire fewer people back.
Speaker 2: But yeah, well that's always the name of the game. It is finding an excuse to devalue to it's kind of disconnect workers from their labor, or to hide the workers.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: AI is great at making things look like they're appearing automatically, you know, like from a replicator. But there's tons of people that tagged all the data for the AI. There's tons of children who went into caves to get the rare earth metals to make the processors to have the AI. There's the cobalt that they're getting from the rivers. It's like the amount of human labor and suffering that goes into the a chat JPT three response is immense. It's just it's just camouflage. It's just further more layers away. It's like, you know, the dumb waiter. It's like, no, no, the slaves were still there making the food and huffing and puffing the stuff. We don't want to see that. We do always see that, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, I mean Thomas Jefferson, what a kind man. He's like, I'm going to spare everyone, you know, the tragedy of having to look at the fact that I rely on chattel slavery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but how is that?
Speaker 3: How's your dinner?
Speaker 2: How's your magic? Okay? All right?
Speaker 1: They were serving Kraft mac and cheese, said his dinners. Sure, what what is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 2: Right now? At least I'm trying to think this way. I don't know if I really believe it, but I'll say it like I do. I think that the human capacity for change is underrated.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: What I'm starting to think is like I've been looking at all the kind of techno solutionists climate change and policies and this and that, and I'm like, oh, fuck man, none of these look like they're so reasonable to me, Like we're gonna throw sulfur dioxide in the space, or you know, iron filings in the ocean, or get special plankton regenerators and and but but I'm starting to think that. I mean, in my own experience, I've had sometimes sudden rapid transformation where I see the whole thing, everything without acid or anything. I just like, whoa, it all looks different to me now, and I start moving through the world differently, and I feel like our best, our last best chance for sustainable survival is some kind of almost like a global human mind shift that people would just go whoa, what were we tripping on here? And change the way they live. It's like, oh, I want to make friends with my neighbors. I don't need to consume all this shit. I'm not driving to work. I'm gonna work right here. That that that that that kind of flip would would change everything. So and I do. I think especially when you look at the tech bros. You think that, you know, human beings are the problem and technology is the solution, and they're going to create a new stack or a new this, or re educate us and all that. It's like, no, we are not the problem. We are the We are the solution. You know, these these systems are the problem. And I'm just trying to kind of help people see that we are underestimating our own capacity as humans to behave our way into a different reality.
Speaker 3: M Yeah, because I mean I think like the pandemic felt like the closest I've seen to people having that moment, like we talk about that on the show, where like once the toil of it all slows down for a second, people were able to be.
Speaker 2: Like, wait, what the fuck are what the fuck is this?
Speaker 3: Like this is fucked up? And then suddenly it's like I get back to fucking work. I fucking think about what the what what the exit strategy could be from this version of like working for the economy rather than the economy working for people. But yeah, like I I hope to see something like that. I mean, I feel like, you know, as like organized labor becomes more and more, you know, as is more ascendant, that people are like in their own way incrementally beginning to sort of shed at least at the very least what they believe is owed to them, right, And yeah, that may be opening like a much more much larger door for some from for bigger changes, for sure, I hope.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I'm just so tired of like fighting against those system and the man and fighting against the corporation and all. And it's like, you know, fuck them all. If if if we borrow stuff from our neighbors, that's the best protest against Walmart and home Depot and everybody else. You know, you have one lawnmower on the block, You borrow a drill from Bob instead of buying another renewable, rechargeable you know, piece of craft that you're going to put in the garage. You know, it's it's it's like pretty easy. And I know this is how you know, middle and upper middle class people can respond. But you know, those middle and upper middle class people are kind of the ones responsible for whatever happens. You know, it's it's you're not going to be asking you know, the the oh the ten million, you know Pakistanis who are up to their waist and climate change water. It's like, oh, well, you guys have to change something, you know, say no, they just got to try to water you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll come come back and kind of dig in a little bit more to the new book.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back. And we're back. And as we were talking about, so so the book's such a different we have. We are in a different time space, time continuum. And the listeners, because you know, for us that break was like three seconds long. Then we're in a different time continuum. They've got to catch up ourselves, all right. We tell that.
Speaker 1: We tell them that to you know, feel final, to identify with us. We tell them that we keep it real time. We are sit there and.
Speaker 2: All right, so say come back, all right, you can start joking.
Speaker 1: So, so your book opens, You've been asked to come out and speak to a bunch of super wealthy people. And it's not really like a conference or is it a conference. It's like just a gathering of the wealthy, you know, in.
Speaker 2: All honestly, I'll tell you what it really was. I mean, we're amongst friends, right, No one talk okay, nobody nobody, good, good good? All right? What's on satellite? So what could they do? Musk is secretly listening. It's probably somehow related to starlink or something. But no, but this was aessed with me. I thought I was doing a talk, right, that they were inviting me, and I get invited to kind of do this kind of intellectual dominatrix act. Basically, you know, they bring out right this leftist, a narco syndicalist, cyberpunk asshole, you know, to speak to bankers and tech bros and say, you guys are fucked up, You're doing the wrong thing. Stop stop externalizing your harm, you know, and they, oh, thank you, sir, May I please have another? You know, And they do that for a little while and then they just, you know, oh, we had rush cof because you know, we're cool and we can take it. And then they go back to doing whatever they were doing before anyway, you know, and maybe take some of my language and throw it on onto the brestle. So it looks like that. So I thought it was one of those, but then it turned out to be this thing, and I didn't I didn't realize it until after. I mean, I thought I was I was getting ready to go on stage. I thought I was in a green room and they were gonna come in with a little they bring a little clip on mike and they put you out. But instead they brought in these five guys who sat around this table to talk to me. Now, the people think as I told the story that oh, the whole thing was for this five guys. No, the whole thing wasn't for this five guys. The whole thing was some really wealthy people technology hedge fund thing run by one of those big places that does these things, and they invited out like fifty or one hundred of their best multimillionaire billionaire clients and family fund people to like a weekend at a resort with a bunch of like I was like the only one like me. There was like a celebrity chef. There was a PGA golf pro. There was a guy who did tennis swings. There was like a like one of those painter guys, like the guy with the curly hair who died. One of those kind of guys was there. Yeah, and right there was like a tontric massage person, so The idea was they got they got a menu of right, and then it was like, oh, you know Wednesday from twelve, you know to one, you could learn to make an omelet with the famous chef, learn to pluck a guitar with you know, Kenny Loggins or whatever, or you know, do that, or you know, spend an hour with you know mits, you know, top ten futurists through Nuggus Rush Cooff. And so five of those dudes decided, oh we'll do rush cough right. So that was sort of what the premise of They came in and I thought, I'm doing a talk and they just want to sit around and ask me questions. So it started out like innocently like bitcoiner ethereum, where should we bet on? Or augmented reality or virtual reality you know, or or you know, whole language models or real language model, you know, all these kind of binary questions of which I'm the person you don't ask that. Actually I'm always right about the shape of the thing, but always wrong with the brand like this. Before your time, I was like Beta max right, not VHF. You know, I'm like copy of serves better than AOL. It's gonna sick, but you knew that like home video was going to revolution, right, you just didn't know.
Speaker 1: You thought it was gonna be Beta Max, which a lot of people don't realize, Like in retrospect, Beta max is like we when I worked at ABC News, we worked with Beta Max because it is a better product. It doesn't degrade, it's much easier to work with, and rewind and like move around with and better.
Speaker 2: It's just bigger, it's better. And also it goes over the tape head faster, so there's more tape per frame. You know, there's more data in it because but there were two problems with Beta Max. One they didn't give their stuff to the porn industry, which VHS did. And two the VHS, I'm super slow. You could do like a six hour tape and get a whole you know, you can get two NFL games, you know, if you're gone for the day, you can get the whole thing. And so you know, shitty quality tended to win. Like AOL look at them, yay AOL Right that they'd worked for a while. So anyway, they asked me all those and then finally, you know, I'm answering those as best I can, and then they get to like Alaska or New Zealand, you know where should I put my bunker? And I decided I put on my I don't know what court Jester tweak the rich, which is what I do my Dominatrix hat. So I'm like, okay, so you got your bunker. And the one of them was showing me the plans for his bunker and it's like, it's got this heated swimming pool. I'm like, oh, you know, there's a guy up the hill from me who's got a heated swimming pool and there's always a truck in front of his house with like a new filter, new heating element. How are you gonna get like parts for that heated pool after the apocalypse? He like opens just little moleskin book parts for heated pool. It's all right.
Speaker 1: These guys are.
Speaker 2: Really like any other Brainbusters Rush Coff exactly. So then I was asking them about how to you know, didn't you guys see the Twilight episode, Twilight Zone episode where that people have the bunker and everyone's banging on it. How are you gonna protect your bunker from the likes of us who don't have a bunker. And that's when they're like, oh, well, you know, we got navy seals on call mine or you know, standing by a juiced up helicopter that's say idling and ready to you know, go at any minute. Like okay, so you've got navy seals coming to your to your island. I didn't ask why you know it's not why isn't it Army Rangers? I mean sure, didn't you see the market Mark movie Army Rangers? Are like, yeah, that's on zero dark thirty. Yeah, that was good. I want them.
Speaker 7: I want them protecting. Thank you for some of those guys. They are like they're going off on missions. I don't want mission people. I want protecting big protecting British men. But anyway, so, how how are you going to pay your navy seals? They're like, oh, what, we've got billions of dollars. No, after your money is worthless.
Speaker 2: After the electromagnetic pulse or the or the the you know whatever, the atomic war, the climate event, your moneys were, how are you going to pay them to And they're again, I didn't really think of that. And then they're like going into crazy stuff like well what if I'm the only person who knows the combination to the safe where we keep the food. Wow, Navy seals, they've have got no experience getting and getting information out. You're gonna get water boarded from here to the end of your life. I mean, that's your your apocalypse is not but or they were talking about having implants and everybody that could also be used as kind of electric shocks that people are doing wrong, things like Navy seals are gonna go. Really, they're gonna like that. So I was just amazed that these guys, right, they're smarter than us, Right, they own these big companies, they're billionaires, they're supposedly smarter, but they're so dumb. They're they're they're so panicked. And and that was really what maybe want to them go write a whole book or think about this longer, because it's basically, here are the richest, most powerful men I'd ever been with, yet they feel, you know, utterly powerless to influence the future. The best they can do is predict the inevitable event and then prepare for that, so they don't think of the future as this thing we co create. This future is this inevitability that you then build for. And that's and that and and the idea the hubris. To think that they can build a technology or a spaceship or a metaverse or a bunker and quite literally leave humanity behind was was crazy. But but what I realized, and this was the thing, this was the techy nightmare of it, was that it wasn't just as I always thought. It wasn't just capitalism. It wasn't just oh, look they came to my beautiful net Wired magazine announce an attention economy and then use the net to abuse people and make sticky websites and surveillance and all that. No, it's that these kind of there's a there's a tech pro psychology that kind of came from the beginning, which was about getting away from people. And I realized they weren't. You know, the climate change was not the reason why they were building their bunkers. Climate change was the excuse they're using to justify building these these you know, solo paradises. The excuses they have for going to live on Mars away from everybody else, or to build you know, robot sex slaves instead of real people. You know, they want that that that this is not the nightmare for them, This is the dream.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, there does seem to be a fantasy about it, rather than like they love thinking about this. It's like a it's a I mean, I think everybody kind of does at this point. Just I think for a lot of people, the dream of the apocalypse is like I don't have to go to work, like, you know, like because you know, it's the thing that people have said that you know, it's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism, and like, so, how do I get out of this system that dehumanizes me. Let's just go with the zombie apocalypse because I can't picture anything else. Yeah, but it for them, it's the same thing, but but in a different way. It allows them to have the ultimate kind of control, the ultimate blank slate where they can build their own society, which seems to be what they like. You describe it as the mindset that is sort of epidemic. And yeah, Silicon Valley, which is kind.
Speaker 2: Of like a colonial urge. I mean, it's a colonial urge where just like you know, even it was it was Hobbes that told the British East India Trading Company people when they were coming to the Americas that you don't have to treat the humans there as human. They're not human. They're kind of one with the land. They're more like animals or trees or shrubs or something. They're not good Christian humans. They're little brown people. So you can enslave them and kill them and what don't think of them. It's think of the New World as as as a clean slate as you're working like x nilo, as if from nothing, and that's the way the tech pros think of it. So, yeah, going to the dark side of the moon, going to Mars, going with somewhere like that, or seasteading, right, putting out all these little rafts into the ocean, and make your own nation. It's kind of like the little rascals when they'd make their little clubhouse, like no girls allowed. Right, I'm gonna make my own place with my own roles, and I can clone and I can affects with teenagers and know whatever I want because I make my own laws, you know, self sovereign. I'm a self sovereign individual in my own crypto currency and my NFT based society. It's like okay, you know, and that's the problem with you know, they got plucked out of college when they're freshmen right by VCS. They didn't take enough light, right know, they.
Speaker 1: Didn't even finish intro to philosophy exactly, Like, yeah, you started too soon.
Speaker 2: But yeah, like the guys in there's this place called Neome. Have you ever heard about that one in Saudi Arabia. It's this giant, multi billion dollar city they want to build. It's like a mile wide and one hundred miles long and some part of the desert that they think is going to be protected from climate change. For some weird reason, They've hired like Hollywood studio chiefs and architects and and and agricultural specialists to build this thing, this perfectly high tech, modern like Dubai like renewable city that's going to be totally sustainable and perfect. The problem was there were these twenty thousand Bedouins living back and forth on that land sustainably for the last what like five thousand years, Right, we just gotta get rid of those twenty thousand sustainable exactly how to survive the PLoP down our sustainable you know, software solution stack. So they got that there are these other ones.
Speaker 1: In sol pollutes the hell out of the earth and makes it a worse but like more likely the apocalypse more likely?
Speaker 2: Right, Well, they externalized the pollution, right, It's like it's all run with microprocessors and sensors and solar this and that. But where did you get the solar panels? Where did you get the rare earth metals for them? Where they never look at what happens before and what happens after. They stay right, you know, in their little in their little bubble. It's like three D Oh, the three D printers are going to save the economy. It's like, who's making the three D printers? Where are we getting the plastic goop that we stick in the three D printers? You know, remember when daisy wheel printers and printers came around, Then we got every time there's a new generation of printer, you'd see printers on the curves of the sidewalks of New York, right, get replaced. It's like, no, it doesn't, it doesn't quite work like that. But yeah, this this mindset is the idea that with really that you can earn enough money to escape the the to escape the damage that you're creating by earning money in that way, or that you can build enough technology to get away from the externalized harm created by building that technology, so you you have you know, even you look at it in the real world, like, uh, you've got all these apps that are leading like teenage girls to like cut themselves and hate themselves and vomit and be depressed and all that. It's like, Oh, don't worry, we have another app that's gonna solve the problem with that app. Here's a wellness app and a mindfulness app. And you know, it's like, good luck with that, right, You're just adding on more and more, more and more screen time into people.
Speaker 3: Because it's also too like one thing that you point out, it's just sort of this insatiable urge, like especially with the way our economy is set up, is to like just keep iterating no matter if it doesn't make sense or not. It's like like you say, like just go meta on something and keep going meta. So there's another thing to hype up to get more capital into the stock market, and it's always ignoring like this simple truth, which is like but what if you like, what if you actually reckoned with what what we're doing right now rather than like, well, the solution to pollution is this pollution credit that you can now get and we're selling it on this exchange, and you can also invest in this exchange I've created. And it's never about sort of like dialing it back. It's always just about how are we going to just keep adding and piling on to kind of you know, to feed this insatiable hunger, to keep just extracting and expanding.
Speaker 2: Right, that's partly because they understand time purely it as forward motion, as progress, as linear. And there's great things about linear time, you know, and great things about progress and understanding history and a future. But if you don't have any kind of circular sensibility, if you don't understand anything about, you know, how soil regenerates, how people learn, how societies go through cycles, if you have none of that available to you, then all you can do is like you put your blinders on and move and move forward, forward, forward. So, right, so you start with something like central currency, which we don't have to go into why why are where that that happened? But central currency is basically one kind of currency that we use, which is interest bearing. So because we use central currency as the one currency, our economy has to grow. Right, You've got to pay back the bankers every time money is issued, it's issued in interest to pay for the It's expensive, mind, So where do you get the more money? You need your economy to grow. And once you need your economy to grow, well, then you need it to grow faster tomorrow than it did today and faster the day after that. So all these dudes, everyone's looking for exponential growth, and you're right. You don't get that just by selling more pizzas. You could only sell there's only so many mouths. What you do is that rather than you know, you, rather than sell pizzas, you buy stock in the pizza company. All right, Now, I got stock, and I just put in some money, and that's gonna grow as long as the pizza rea grows. It's fine. If the stock doesn't grow fast enough, I'm gonna buy a derivative of that stock, which is like I could buy the pizza stock three months in the future. So now I've compressed all that time, and yay, now that's not enough. I can get a derivative of the derivative, and so on and so on. You just keep going meta on the thing before. That's that's basically that's what financialization is. But financialization now is way bigger than reality. Right, the derivatives exchange of the New York Stock Exchange. They had the New York Stock Exchange, and they had a derivatives exchange. Derivatives Exchange got so big it actually purchased the New York Stock Exchange. Right, So it's like the tail eight the dog. It didn't wag it, it consumed it, right, and it's going to and why where does that leave reality? That's how you get you know, mortgage crises and all this other stuff. So you got that going on in finance, and then the same thing going on in technology, where you've got you know, businesses, and then businesses get aggregated by this website, and then that website aggregates the aggregators and so on and so on. You get Mark Zuckerberg going from Web one to Web two. Right. Web one was websites, Web two is Facebook. He plays out Facebook. Where does he go after that? Web three?
Speaker 1: You know, literally the name of his company do meta Meta.
Speaker 2: Literally meta saying we can just keep going meta on whatever was before. But Meta isn't isn't real. Meta is getting further and further away from from terra firma, from from the real world, and further and further away from the externalities, meaning the harms that are created by these businesses. You go to Facebook, the campus is gorgeous, and they got a great coffee there. It's like not Pietez, it's another one. It's like really good. But if you look on the edge of campus, there's a tent fill there of the people who've been improplished by the very same companies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's take one more break and we'll come back and kind of keep keep digging in here. And we're back, and just to kind of summarize what we were talking about before, like this, because I did find the book ultimately hopeful, because like it really clarified this idea that I think we all assume that there's something happening with resources and the earth that is inevitably leading toward a climate apocalypse. And you talk about how that assumption is purely based on like their mindset of like this extractive kind of their addiction to tenx growth is really what's driving the inevitable move towards a unsustainable world and climate. And like if you if people are able, if like the zeitgeist is able to switch over to this more these more circular economic models. We have enough water, we have enough resources. That's what we've found over the past Decadeyeah, you know, but it's.
Speaker 2: Hard, you know. I mean I get that it's hard, you know. And I talk to you know, middle class people and they're like, yeah, I'll do the kind of things you're saying. Once I've got like a million dollars in my four oh one k plan, right then I'll stop. Or just I just need to work two more years at this bad job that I know is just drawing the planet and then I can stop. And when I listen to them, they sound like addicts, you know, where it's like, dude, I just got a drink until this project is done, just until this, just until the next thing. And there is no it actually it's it's now, It really is now. There is there is no next first, there's no next big thing that's gonna say. I was talking to a billionaire who says, Oh, I've got this carbon capture device. We're gonna put it right on the back of the car and right on the back of the truck and it's gonna suck the carbon out so we don't even have to go to EV's Like, oh good, the fuck luck with that, you know, or oh eco city thing, it's like a pill and you drop it into the water and the city's going to grow out of it. That's you know, magical, crypto perfect city for children and regenerative agriculture, and there's a stack for this and a stack there's no thing. But it's hard to tell people like right now, how do they start?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 2: And that for me, if we talk about it and and I've given up with this, if we talk about it as oh, a new economic system or a thing, then they're like, oh, no, it's a socialist or something. Oh god, yeah, you know. And if we could sort of take the ism off socialism and just make it like social social like and it's interesting, you end up in the same place, but you win the argument. So I do that thing about, you know, instead of buying a drill from home minimum viable product a drill from home depot and making all this waste and using it once, go to Bob's house, knock on Bob's door and say, Bob, can I borrow your drill? Right? And Bob is gonna bring a big, thick, matterfucking drill that plugs in the wall the way God intended. And he's gonna come over and say, Doug, you're a fucking nerd. You don't know where to you don't know where to find a stud. I'm coming over and drill in the whole for you. Right, He's gonna make the hole. It's gonna be great. But then like three days later, that weekend, I'm supposed to have a barbecue at my house. Bob's gonna smell the barbecue, and Bob's gonna think, wait a minute. I went over and helped Doug drill a hole in the wall, and he didn't invite me over to the barbecue. So now I'm gonna have to invite Bob over. All right, So I invite Bob to the barbecue. That's fine, and Bob turns I know. It turns out he's nice and his wife is kind of nice, and his kids are cool, and they're like, all right, well that's so bad. But now the other neighbors smell the barbecue and they're like, wait a minute, why is Doug inviting Bob to the barbecue and not us. Before long, we're gonna have a block party and everybody's gonna be having fun at this barbecue. Right, that's the nightmare, Right, that's the downside the brand thing. But now that we're all together and talking, how did we meet? Well, you know, I borrowed Bob's drill. Now people on the block say, you know, I wonder I was gonna need a new lawnmower. But instead of me buying a new lawnmower, what if we just like use two or three lawnmowers for the whole block and we just share the ones we have because I don't use it more than a couple hours a week. So now we're buying less lawnmowers, buying less drills, and we have more money to start doing stuff. I'm teaching Bob's kid algebra because I'm paying him back for the favor that he gave me, and it's all working out. Someone invariably gets up when I do that in a talk and says, well, yeah, but what about the drill company? Yeah, bad for sale? What about right, and the person who was the job at the drill company and the old lady? Someone said, what about the old lady who has a pension fund that's dependent on the stock and the drill company for her to uh for her to survive it's like, well, luckily we're going to be taking care of that old lady because now we have a neighborhood, and hopefully we're gonna wind this down. That's why we're not doing it in revolution. I'm not saying everybody today stop buying drill, right, it's not going to work like that. But slowly and surely, as we replace some of that activity, the power of these giant mega corporations kind of diminishes. This huge, you know, ridiculous global supply chains end up kind of shrinking down, and we slowly kind of turn the corner towards something more social, more circular, more on the ground. We take some of the weight off government and social service programs to take care of us, We take some of the weight off the climate, off the economy, and all that stuff. All at the same time. The next what I meant by you know, I have more hope in people that people could kind of flip and go, oh this is fun. Right, Yeah, I'm okay with this.
Speaker 1: What if life was actually fun? Like that's kind of a crazy idea.
Speaker 2: But how many drills do I have? But I need drills? That's drills.
Speaker 1: There's this David Wayne movie the ten where like he and his native or two characters like two neighbors get in a cat scan buying frenzy where they just like they get competitive about.
Speaker 2: Buying cat scans.
Speaker 1: Anyways, I don't know why I mean, but yeah, you like just to the point of the socializing you reference a couple times in the book, like these powerful, unconscious connective forces that are happening at the level of like mirror neurons, right, and you also mentioned that like the powerful, the more powerful people get, the less likely they are to have this exchange to engage in the mirroring of others. So it almost feels like that we're being delivered from this very powerful, you know, way that we become part of a network connected to other people, made up of other people, Like that's very natural, very human, like how humanity got this far. We're being delivered from that by these powerful people who are like mapping onto us. They're weird thing that is like that doesn't value that, that doesn't see the intrinsic value of that, and it's making us miserable, right yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the way like a Marshall McClue in or somebody a media theorist would look at it is what you're talking about are the values of the television age. Right, We got television, and we use television to paint pictures of the world that made us feel inadequate about where we are that we need to get that other thing.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: The television is sort of what put us in competition with each other and kind of desocialized us because the less, you know, the less satisfied people were, the more likely they were to go buy stuff. So television was this really terrific influencing machine and that supported markets and companies and consumption and all that. And now we've moved into a digital age and we're kind of using that same industrial age television era. Oh, let's use it to influence people and get them to buy more stuff and all that. And it's like, well, maybe that's not the digital thing. I mean, it's not sustainable. It's too when a digital algorithm can can reconfigure itself in real time to influence your behavior, it's like, this isn't gonna work anymore. This isn't just gonna get people to buy forward cars, right, because people don't even have jobs at ford that where they can afford a ford Car. It's like this is this is flipped in a different place. So I think we have to stop kind of using media to get people to do stuff and start looking at using media and technology to provide people, you know, some of what some of what they need, which is it's a it's a big it's a it's a big mind shift, but you know what, you know what I mean, this is like a very different media environment that this stuff works differently than industrial age stuff. We're not just coaxing people. It's if television was more like social media, which is more like say the missionaries, they go to a population and they propagandize them, They get them to worship the new God, and they do a lot of intelligence on them. And then the missionaries send the intelligence back to the crown. And who comes next the conquistadors. Right, they know how to data population works. They've got the intels, they go in and they get them. That's kind of what the AIS and the digital things are. They're the conquistadors not just coming to influence us, but coming to annihilate and replace us. And that's uh, wait a minute, that's not that's not gonna work. So that's why we have to flip the script and say, well, what you how can they how can they serve us instead? And this technology could you know I once you start saying wait a minute, once you get out of the framework of how do we retrain people for better jobs once the ais come, and start thinking instead, how do we retrain people for lives of meaning and pleasure and leisure? And it's like, ooh, that would be that be.
Speaker 3: Kind of fun, right, because I feel like so much talk even like with like universal basic income, it's always just like offset the damage that tech innovation is gonna do. It's not because humans like we just because we're so productive, we should begin shifting to something that resembles more like leisure time or family, like, right, the ability to just commune with nature because you want to. It's always like, well, yeah, man, when this tech comes online, everybody's fucked. So the only way we can keep them at bay is by giving them like a pittance every fucking month. And that's universal basic income. And it's always interesting to see, like in your analysis, like a lot of these things that we are we're getting preached to us by like these tech people. It's always like it's never actually to solve anything. It's it's a solution that is just it's it, but it's a it's a new product packaged as a solution that is never actually tended to address what's happening. So we're in this snow, but like this constant, like this never ending thing that only leads to increased like to your point, depleting our resources, you know, degrading the environment. Which for them, it's like, well that's the end game is then it's gonna all break because I'm too good at capitalism, and then I got to shoot the pores.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It's like for programmers who are so big on disrupting systems, you think they would consider disrupting corporate capitalism. They would consider something other than running to Morgan Stanley with every new invention they have. But they're ultimately so reactionary. They're so conservative they don't challenge the underlying assumptions that their companies are based on. I'm going to go disrupt the taxi market. I'm going to disrupt the book market, But what about disrupting the market market asupting that with abundance? You know, It's like this is this is so much easier than writing another clue to make this current system, you know, churn another ten years while you look for a way out. And the other side, you know, like the Koch brother side of this thing. You know, those guys are the big climate deniers. If you go to an actual Koch Brothers conference, they all believe in climate change. They've got all this stuff on what's gonna happen and the methane gas and the this and the that. But their objective is, don't let us be the only ones who know what's happening so we can prepare for it, while the rest of society is is is told that this is a myth. Yeah, yeah, the very like elitist thinking that's happening. It's really cynical. Yeah, yeah, the mind and the more that that happens and the more paranoid people get, then they get into QAnon and five g Towers and the Great Reset and that COVID was here to reduce the population of the world. And you know, because I get it, it's comforting to believe there's like an Avengers style Doctor Evil super villain George Sorow's Jew, you know, who's who's controlling the world with his you know, from the Italian embassy with space lasers or something. But it's like, I know, however comforting that is. It's time to grow up and say, no, no, we are we are in charge here, We're actually this is much simpler. This is much simpler than it looks. The only time we really get into problems is when we're trying to operate at scale, you know, like Zuck or Musk or whoever. If you want to operate locally, like ninety nine point nine percent of us can operate locally, and we could, let's just dedicate one million people to thinking at scale, you know? Is that enough? Ten million people thinking at scale? It's like, let them go do that, so we could just take care of each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And it's like funny too because like for for all of like the ways I think we're just you know, propagandaized into thinking, oh, you know, there is no solute like the only solution is to just hit the fucking pedal harder and go through this rather than like slowing down or looking at it.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 3: We have so many examples even in our recent history that shows that, like you know, like you you bring up the Greenwood District in Oklahoma, like black people were completely excluded from the mainstream American economy. So they figured out how to do it on their own outside of it, and it was something that was cooperative and was just like, well, if we only have us to rely on, and then like, let's make this work. And sure enough, it got to a point where it invited all this resentment that we had that race massacre.
Speaker 2: Right, well, because the whites were confused. Wait a minute, if these black people were cut off from the economy and they're not allowed to participate, why are they doing better than us?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Right, So they went in and killed them, right, that's right. But we got to look back at it and go, oh, they were doing better then that. The blacks are doing better because being cut off forced them into local, circular economic activity. They started relying on each other and yes, doing better. Now, do you need to be cut off? No, there's a balance, right, you shouldn't have to be completely cut off either. But boy, oh boy, when you see a lesson like that, when you see the way American farmers got out of the depression, you know, through stuff that really looked like communism and got cooperative land ownership and local currencies, you realize what we need is a more balanced set of economic instruments, you know, different ways of operating where we're doing favors for each other doesn't look like wrong on some level. You know, people these days, where can we want to do a clean transaction? We'd rather have someone we don't know come in and clean our house for money. Then the neighbors kids are trying to, you know, right, do something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the I mean the dumbwaiter effect, which you've already made reference to, like the invention of the dumb waiter by Thomas Jefferson, which in you know, elementary school history classes is claimed to be.
Speaker 2: Oh, he wanted to save the quote unquote.
Speaker 1: Servants at his house from having to walk up and down the stairs with heavy plates, and it's actually no, he wanted to hide the fact that he had human cost slaves behind the you know, hide it from people on a lower floor. There's this anecdote in the book that really drives home like what we're up against. Where so it's the people assembling our iPhones for Apple are made to use this toxic fingerprint cleaning solution to make the new product, to just make sure there's absolutely no smudges on an iPhone when you open it in the box. When it comes out of the box, it is toxic. It poisons them, but they.
Speaker 2: Get premature babies come out of them and stuff. I mean, it's really bad but completely like.
Speaker 1: But it's such a good example also of the genius of capitalism, as this like singularity, like you're erasing even the subliminal clues of the exploitation behind our most beloved products, so it doesn't even like enter into our minds like they're they're doing this like five levels deep thinking because and it's like, you know, the people like these Harvard educated people are like going to work for Apple and coming up that innovation like we have. Well, like what we found is that if they see the smudges, then like they start to become like get a vague sense of unease with the world.
Speaker 2: So it has to look like this perfect.
Speaker 1: Gleaming cube that that was just like delivered down from on high and like with Amazon does it less artfully but like more blatantly. It is their entire business model to remove the workers at the store from our lives by replacing them with packages that just show up and you know, I mean, and they're not high like they have a company called the mechanical Turk named for like that that's a historical event where like a robot beat everyone at chess, but was really just a chess master in a like suit that was made to look like a robot. So like it's we're up against a lot of very complex things that like knows exactly what it's doing, that is really going out of its way to try to deliver you from having the thoughts that you're talking about of like maybe I should like hang out with people in my neighborhood, Like maybe, you know, maybe maybe this isn't as simple as I want it to be. Maybe the thrill that I get from opening this box and having an iPhone there that looks like the object from two thousand and one, you know, like that that isn't a thrill that I should be pursuing. But they're working hard, but it does feel like we're getting further and further away from like just fully being absorbed by their bullshit. But I don't have a ton of evidence for that.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean that's why I try to write a book about them that makes us laugh at them, so you can see, Okay, if these are little nerd people who are scared of human beings. Then that's why they project onto us the fear of a fingerprint, the fear of knowing, you know, the fear of the people and the dirt and the women and the nature and the all that stuff. It's like, I get it, you know. And there are there are pills that can help us emotionally survive in a world where we don't have that human contact certain whatever SSRIs and antidepressants and all that. But there's also ones that are sort of encouraging complexity. There's all the new people out microdosing and trying mushroom therapy and doing other things. Although I'm still confused that you could take a fucking tech bro, send them down to South America and have them to do a bunch of ayahuasca and you would think it would bring their great reckoning and they go, oh, you know, I've got to reconnect with the world and the people and the thing. But it's like somewhere between their their ayahuasca trip and their their G five flight back to San Jose, they reverse engineer that the friggin' social network they've made is that solution.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the product they're already working on is actually the thing. Right, if they can just find this one like tweak to the algorithm, that's actually what is going to right.
Speaker 2: But when their focus is on post humans rather than humans, which a lot of for a lot of them, it is right. You don't post humans don't have those fingerprints. Post humans don't have the the you know, the aborted fetuses. The posthumans are are this sort of idealized idea of the human, the kind of the tech bro idea of human as information as perfectly auto tuned soul liess you know, abstraction, right, which which I understand. I understand the yearning for that. You know, anybody who's fallen in love with an anime character knows what that is. But it's it's a stage, right, It's a stage of adolescents, not a fruitful place.
Speaker 1: For us to go.
Speaker 2: Stables.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jesus well, I truly feel like, more than ever, this episode could go on for seven hours and we could keep talking about this. This is so fascinating. Thank you so much for writing the book, and thanks for coming on show.
Speaker 2: Thank you for reading it. You know, people, people, even people. I'm happy that people buy my book, but I'm even more happy when they read it. You know, yeah, which is rare. It's a subset of a subfet right.
Speaker 3: It's not just like, Yo, you see what I got on my wall that got that new rush off? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did you read it? Nah? Yeah, but I bet it's the introduction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking on our wall, I have the dawn of everything over there, and I really appreciate it your your I think more people need to hear what they did to Pinker in that book.
Speaker 2: It's so great. He deserved every bit. Y yeah you did.
Speaker 3: And also yeah, just for listeners, you got to check the I mean, like it's so expansive because, like I said, my sort of experience with the book was being like, Okay, we're gonna talk about bunkers, and for a second you do, but then again you sort of zoom out to really understand why it's it's the bunker. Isn't the fucking the bunker. It's just another manifestation of this thinking that is actually the such a destructive force right now and gets into everything from the momentum we've carried into like our our our perception of science and nature and you know, like returning to the womb using technology and things and all these other things. So it's a really great book, and yeah, encourage everybody to check it out because it's it doesn't disappoint, especially if you enjoyed this episode, which I'm sure you did.
Speaker 2: Free yourself, Free yourself of the bunker in your mind.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm just digging a hole in the mud in my backyard, and I think it's gonna suck, to be honest. Yeah, for my family, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I told you. They just they just look like shallow graves.
Speaker 2: To be honest. But I'm sure your family is really encouraged by that.
Speaker 1: Dad's making a bunker, No worry, he's building a bike out of old bike out of old hangars. Yeah, that might be smoking at the same time. Good luck, Thank you, goode. Where can people find you?
Speaker 2: Follow you all that?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Joh, don't follow me? But I mean I got tweeting, but I'm so over it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The most people following me now are these little fake stripper accounts. Have you seen all these Oh yeah, it's like bot accounts, these bought but they're not even real real stripper accounts. They're like fake, they're bought stripper. It's like, what is that I'm trying to do? What do they want?
Speaker 6: Why?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 2: Retweet me of all things, but whatever, retweet me no, come to uh uh buy this book, Survival of the Richest Escape Fantasy of the Tech Billionaires. Get it at your like local bookstore if you can, or your library or something. I got a podcast on my own called Team Human. You can check that out Team Human. Get it. We're on Team Human. Yeah. Yeah, and yeah, I got a website rushcoff dot com. Or come actually play with me. I'm teaching. I started a new master's program at Queen's College, which is part of City University of New York. And we're just doing this kind of stuff. So if you want to get a master's in theory and media studies or tactical media, come and will and will and we'll play live.
Speaker 1: Amazing And is there a work of media that you've been enjoying, Well.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm really enjoying. Yeah. There's a woman named Niche Devno it's hard to say n e s e devn o d e v e n o t And she tweeted this thing about you know, test cREL. It's this word that's basically it's it's it's it's a word that means it's kind of the mindset. It's like techno utopianism and and uh life extension and effective altruism is this paper she wrote called testcrel Hallucinations Psychedelic and AI Hype as inequality Engines, And what she does is she compares the sort of the new psychedelic industry hype to the new AI industry hype and shows how they're kind of the same thing, and both of them are designed to do the same old thing to keep the poor down. And I was just like, dang, I really hadn't seen it's the same thing. What they're doing, what they're gonna do to psychedelics is the same thing that they did to the Internet in the nineties. They're about to do to psychedelics. Just watch Amazing Miles Where can people find you? What is the work of media you've been enjoying at Miles of Gray all over the place?
Speaker 3: Check Jack and I out on our basketball podcast Miles and Jack Got Mad Boosties. If you want to hear me talk about ninety day Fiance, you know something a little bit more elevated than the discussion we had talking about trash Reality Where I escape that's my bunker. Check out for twenty day fiance and the Good Thief where we talk about the Greek robin Hood who was kidnapping millionaires and doing some good old fashioned wealth re distribution. I love to see it. A tweet I like is from Mike Kaplan at Mike Kaplan m y Qkapla and who tweeted you never hear about people who are good to the bone, like to hear the bone hear more about them tweet.
Speaker 1: I've been enjoying just anything from Jimmy Butler's new look with the Miami Heat yesterday at Media Day, and particularly whoever came up with the nickname ball out boy for that. He came with an emo wig and said announced I'm emo now, and.
Speaker 2: Then I think when asked to which nickname for.
Speaker 1: His new look was his favorite, he did have the good taste to say ball out boy. He also had like a bunch of facial piercings and stuff. It was really a fun He's making media day actually interesting for the first time. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. You can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and a website Daily zei guys dot comboy.
Speaker 2: We post our episodes in our footnotes.
Speaker 1: We link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as the song that we think you might enjoy.
Speaker 2: Miles, what song do you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 3: The Due Minahan Street Band, Brooklyn Band and I love so much. They've got musicians from like L Michael's Affair, who we've done, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, Anti Ballast And this is a track that just something nice and easy and just musical and funky to get you into your week. And it's called Queen's Highway by the minahand or Menahan Street Band. I don't know if I've completely botched that pronunciation, but either way, check it out. Queen's Highway.
Speaker 2: All right, well, we will.
Speaker 1: Link off to that in the footnote. The Daily zeis Guys, a production by Heart Radio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's gonna do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what's trending, and we'll talk to you all.
Speaker 3: Bye bye