Speaker 1: Hello, Alphabet Boys listeners. This is Benadair. I'm the co creator of Alphabet Boys with Trevor Aronson, and I'm dropping into your feed today to tell you about a new true crime podcast that's out this week that I know you are really gonna love. It's a true crime story called The Burden, Get the Money and Run, and it's got everything you want in a great story. It's got high speed chases, a methodical police pursuit, a murder that changes everything. But it's also a lot more than that. Tackles big human themes about love, loss, forgiveness, all told through the story of a man named Joe Loya, who at one time was one of Southern California's most prolific bank robbers. Again, it's called The Burden, Get the Money and Run, And it all started with this one question that I wanted to find out the answer to, how on earth does someone become a bank robber? How do you rob a bank? For the very first time? Then I met your and I got to ask him how much had you plan this all out in advance? What did you know going into it? How are you going to go in? How are you going to get away?
Speaker 2: None?
Speaker 1: None?
Speaker 2: None.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can't just rob a bank with no plan, can you.
Speaker 2: What I do remember about the day is this, I started ten. I walked into the first bank, and I grab a slip and I write, we have a bomb, just a bank cropper, and I wrote a bank robbing note. And then I'm like a fucking I don't want to do this year. For some reason, this doesn't feel right. I start walking away, and as I walk away, there's like three cameras that me at the door, and I realized, I think I could have been busted, right if anyone just kind of like you know, zoomed in on the guy who was writing something on the back of that slip, they could have seen I was trying to rob that bank. So I wrote my next one, next note at McDonald's, just run it there. And I would walk in the banks and I would leave them all day long, you know, Like I would walk in and I would stand in line, go a couple of steps up, a couple of customers would be going, and I'd like, nah that I don't got a feel for this. I'd walk in, I'd see, you know, gards, Noah, God, I swear to God, man, I probably nibbled a little bit of food from every fast food joint available at the time, KFC, Wendy's. If this was a short film, it would be a comic film because you would see me going in They're okay, I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna do it. And the next thing, we'd see me drinking coffee at McDonald's. You see me, Okay, I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna be all fucking nerve you in there. The next scene, I'm biting the whopper at work, like it would just be okay, let's do it, Let's do it, Taco Bell, let's do it, Wendy. It was like fucking hilarious.
Speaker 1: Where were you feeling inside?
Speaker 2: Fear? I was just like, at this point, I'm not going to jail, just dandy and line thinking about robbing a bank. When I go do this next thing, this is the real thing. So I know that on the other side of this is a payoff, a big payoff, because when you run past your fear, then it cannot harass you anymore. On this side of it, it's a big, dark, menacing curtain and it's saying try to come back here. See what the fuck's gonna happen, and you're like, I don't know if I want to open that curtain. Oh fuck. Once you open that curtain, that curtain fucking evaporates. There's no more curtain. You can turn around, like, where's that freaking curtain? It was menacing me. There's no curtain. And that's what you have to do. You have to push past your fear to get to the next level.
Speaker 1: Right now, walking in and out of these banks all day staring at that curtain.
Speaker 2: Ah, that curtains just like taunting me, you fucking punk. And I knew that I had this in me where I could cough up a nutsck and do something if I need to do it now. All day I wasn't coughing up the nutsck all day. I was not calling up my courage. It would just go so, we want to get me so far, and then to peter out. But I was like this point, I was like, this is We're doing it. We're doing it right now. Fuck all the bullshit, Let's go do this.
Speaker 1: To hear what happens next. Subscribe to The Burden Season five is Get the Money and Run, and it's available wherever you listen to podcasts to search up the burden. I know you're gonna love it.