Speaker 1: I am all in you.
Speaker 2: I am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in podcast. Very excited. This is going to be our first episode for something that we have dubbed You've Been Gilmore. So we hear all you super fans out there want to be a part of the podcast. So as a new series we are doing, We're gonna bring on a super fan to get their take on everything Gilmore. This week we are starting with Gilmore Girls. Super fan and celebrity designer Isaac ms Rahi. Isaac worked extensively in the entertainment industry as an actor, host, writer, designer, and producer for over thirty years. He is a subject and co creator of Unzipped, a documentary following the making of his Fall ninety four collection, which received an award at the sun Dance Film Festival. He hosted his own television talk show, The Isaac mcsrahi Show for seven years, has written to books, and has made countless appearances and movies on television. He is the chief designer for Isaac Mizrahi Brands, a division of Excel Brands incorporated in two thousand and nine. He launched his lifestyle collection Isaac Mizrahi Live on QVC. His I Am New York City collection is currently sold at Lord and Taylor and Hudson Bay Company. He is a director of A Little Night Music and Magic Flute the Opera Theater of Saint Louis. So much more we can we can go into, but let's just bring him on. He's got his own production company, Isaac Mssrahi Entertainment, under which he has several projects and development television, theater and literature. His memoir I Am was published in February twenty nineteen. He and he's currently hosting his own podcast called Hello Isaac. One of my good friends Isaac ms Raja, Hello Isaac, You're our first guest on our new segment. You've been gilmourd. You are the absolute And he said, who's the biggest super fan? I said, you gotta get Isaac. I don't care what he's doing, I don't care where he is in the world. Screw it. Get him, book them, get them all.
Speaker 2: Get me. I am a Gilmore super fan.
Speaker 1: You are.
Speaker 2: I am a Basil super fan. You're the guy Aladino valad German superfan.
Speaker 1: You're the guy. You're the guy.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: So last time we talked to you watched the entire series four times. Have you watched again since.
Speaker 2: I watch it? Yes? I mean, it's just it's literally I go between this is my thing. I go between Gilmore Girls, Masel, and Downton Abbey. I don't know how Downton Abbey got him, but it's like one of those three things I visit like literally every single night.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, well that's well, so what's your favorite line of all time? Favorite line?
Speaker 2: You know, this is gonna sound a little trite, but because I think it's something she says it often, Laurel, I says, I smell snow. And you know, it's like the greatest line in the world because because first of all, you can smell snow, right, And that's such an incredibly beautiful, astute thing to say. And as someone Scott, you know, I hate the summer. I don't like the summer really, really, Darling, I hate the summertime.
Speaker 1: You're a winter guy. You like the winter.
Speaker 2: I love the winter. I love the snow. And so of course, you know when she says I smell snow, I literally start crying. I'm like, oh, my god, it's snow. And then I think it's never gonna snow again, and right like, oh man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you should move to either or you should spend time in Lake Tahoe, or.
Speaker 2: You'd hollow, darling, I should move to stars hollow.
Speaker 1: Right or there? That's are you a skier? But by the way, are you no? So you just like the snow.
Speaker 2: I just like the snow. I like play with my dogs and the snow. I like to look at the snow from indoors. I like to sometimes walk in the snow for a minute, and then I get tired and cold and I want to come inside. But I prefer that to being like hot and not knowing how I'm going to get you know, a little air. Besides air conditioning, I don't air conditioning. I like the winter and I love the snow.
Speaker 1: Well, we're both snow guys. I love the snow. I love it. You see, Oh, you can't get me off the hill. You cannot get they live close the list and I'm still like, I'm trundling up the hill on my own. I don't care.
Speaker 2: Right the ski.
Speaker 1: Patrol has to kick me off. It's nighttime. I get a miner's helmet on I'm skiing. I don't care.
Speaker 2: Wow, you're so lucky. I don't like it. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I grew up with it. I mean, I mean, I got a pair of wooden skis when I was seven, and the rest is history. What can I tell you? What's your favorite episode? What is your favorite episode? Tell me why it is your favorite episode.
Speaker 2: There are two episodes that come to mind, right, and we can discuss both of them, and it's really random. Of course, you could talk about the graduation. I mean, there's a million of great episodes. But I think of the hilarious episode where Rory does the benefit and she like dresses in the USO thing is so ridiculous and she's like sort of trying to be like a daughter of the American Revolution and she's trying so hard to fit in with those women and it's just a very funny episode. And Rory looks really really hot in that uniform. So that's one of my favorite episodes. The other episode that I just love, well, I love Emily, Like I just first of all, I want to meet her, like next time we go, next time we do this podcast, we have to get that person we have to get Emily Gilmore because I need to meet her. I just love her so much. But I love the episode where is that she she goes like a little blind and they have to like sort of shepherd her around and Rory has to drive her around.
Speaker 1: You know that episode where No, I mean it must be beyond season six or seven because I haven't gotten there yet.
Speaker 2: No, come on, it's where it's where she gets like where I forgot exactly what the premise is. But but but Laurel I has to kind of take care of her and drive her around. And because she can't see or something, oh, she can't see she gets something in her eyes and she can't see. That's the funniest episode of the world. I love that. I don't exactly remember what it was about, but I just think because it's about the relationship between Emily and Laurel, I I love it. I love that relationship because it really what's the word it resonates for me personally. You no, like I have a fraud relationship with my mother, And any of those episodes where you know where Emily is being a pain in the ass, it's just the greatest thing.
Speaker 1: Like all of them, particularly.
Speaker 2: Because she's like, she needs she needs Laurel. I like Laurel. I has to kind of like drive her around. And it's a really funny episode. The episode. I just can't remember exactly why or when it comes.
Speaker 1: You know, it's season six, season six. It's Hannah just told me it's season six. I haven't seen it yet.
Speaker 2: What do you mean you haven't seen it yet? Darling? What is that supposed to mean? Didn't you shoot it?
Speaker 1: I don't remember from twenty years ago? Short term memory? Short, Look, you've been on Broadway. It's all about short term memory. You don't remember it.
Speaker 2: So you aren't a super fan. I'm a super fan. I can rewatch it a million times.
Speaker 1: And you don't know the premise of this podcast was I called iHeart and I said, I've never seen the show. Let's do a podcast where I watch it and the fans can rewatch it. When you can write, it's my first impression of the episodes.
Speaker 2: How long does it take?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 2: Don't you binge? Don't you pay?
Speaker 1: No? I can't. I'm not allowed to. I'm under contract. One at a time. If I watch two or three or four, you know, Amy Sugarman will send a hit band and smack me down. Man, I'll tell you I can't do it.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize that I want to do it.
Speaker 1: I don't. Don't get me wrong. I want to binge the heck out of this thing. O my god, but I got Amy Sugarman assassins out there watching me making sure I don't. Okay, yeah, got it. These are heavy, heavy people, man, They're like seriously trained.
Speaker 2: Wow, what we do for podcasts?
Speaker 1: What is your Here's here's a big question. You're ready? Are you ready? Who's your favorite Gilmore character?
Speaker 2: My favorite Guildmore well, aside from Laura La, I mean, what is more charming than Laura? Like and and you stop it, stop it now now? My favorite Gilmore character has got to be Emily Gilmore. I just think she is the greatest, funniest and I completely understand her. And she's so much like my mother, likely well down to the way she dresses, down to kind of the way she looks. She kind of looks like my mother, just a teeny teeny bit love her. She's so funny and so I don't know, like pretentious in this cool way. You know. I love Emily Gilmore?
Speaker 1: Is that a good enough?
Speaker 2: Is that a good enough answer, that's my face.
Speaker 1: Definitely, she's definitely a fan favorite, for sure. She's a seminal character, and I think the tension that her character creates is is significant. It's, you know, all of that old school tradition and manners and keeping the bloodline pure and keeping it you know, and all that patrician stuff that's so important too. And it's so it's point zero zero one percent, right, fun.
Speaker 2: It's funny when like you watch it back now and it's like it is one percent and it's like a little bit it's not exactly cringey because they still exist, but it's very very white, you know, like that Emily Gilmore character is. It's just like a really white, white, white white character. But you know, like in some ways I feel like she's eternal and she's classic. And that actress I think is her name Kelly Bishop. Yes, yeah, it's Kelly Bishop. Like she gets something. She gets to the core of that character, and I think like everyone can relate to that as a mother, Like everyone can relate to that mother. I think she gets to something. It's like, so it doesn't matter if you're white or black, or Jewish or Chinese or whatever. She kind of like she just becomes like everyone's mother. And I think it's really like the writing, but I think it's also the gift of that woman. She just appears. I think she was like this is I don't know who she was before the Game Wore Girls. That woman Kelly Bishop. Now she's on Mazel. She plays that hilarious matchmaker character, which is hilarious also so funny, you know, and she's great at that. But she got at something in the Gilmore Girl. She got to that mother thing that everybody could relate to, rich people, poor people, everybody. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go, upholding traditions. Yeah, holding the family together.
Speaker 2: Apparently she was the original Sheila in a chorus line, that's what Neil says.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And she was. She was in what's the Patrick Swayze Jennifer Gray Dirty dancing.
Speaker 2: Oh, dirty dancing, right exactly, that's right. But by the way I saw I saw a chorus line about fifteen times when I was a teenager.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, No, Kelly's a real deal dancer and actress.
Speaker 2: One is when to meet and we're just gonna both like freak out.
Speaker 1: You know me too. I think one day, like Kelly and I will meet and I maybe she'll freak out. How do you feel, Isaac, how do you feel about Christopher?
Speaker 2: Christopher was are you kidding me? I? I don't know what it was like. I would see him on screen and I would just go like that man has to know. I don't know what that actor's name is, but I was born to like be that person's lover. I don't know what his name was, but he is the most incredibly attractive person I've ever seen in my life. Kind of like suits, those like baggy like nineties kind of suits. Forget about. He was the most attractive person in the world. Yeah, and again I didn't think he was right for laural I. I never thought he was right for Laura la except he was so being attractive. He was like one of those people that I would have just like lown myself at, you know, and it would been wrong, wrong, wrong, because he was just he was just so callow. I don't know, he was never he never had the right substance.
Speaker 1: You know, mm hmm.
Speaker 2: You know, like sometimes rich people just don't have that substance, right generation rich people, Yes, they lack the substance, right Christopher, Oh my god, you know what.
Speaker 1: This leads me back to another question, which I think is important given your feelings about Emily. Now we know how you feel about Christopher. Oh what do you think about Emily trying to break up laurel I and Luke Vaya using Christopher as her programmable robot to go in and showing.
Speaker 2: Human darling, She's she's human, she's human, right, So what do you think about that? She didn't see it? And and that's what I love about the writing of that relationship, you know, because it's like, you know, she didn't understand how much Luke meant to Laurelai. She just could not fathom it. She just could not. And maybe I do think that, oh, what's mister Gilmore's name, whether Richard Richard Gilmour. I think that between Richard and Emily there was a real bond, you know. I think they really loved each other and they really got to this incredible point in their relationship together. And of course there were those seasons where they were, like, you know, sort of separating a little bit, and then they kind of lived apart for a second. But but I don't think it was the same between Christopher and laurel I. I think that the mother just kind of assumed it was and she assumed it was the best thing for her daughter because there was like security and money. Yeah, but she was wrong about that. She really stopped, didn't she. She really did, gop. She went all the way there and Emily did, Yeah, she did. And I love this. Listen, darling, My mother has gone all the way there and up in my like she is like really led me down the wrong garden paths, you know what I mean? This is why I think it's such a great show for like a you know, for one of those networky hour shows we have like a million executives like calling every five seconds with an opinion. I think they really managed to keep it very, very real, you know. That's what's right about the Gilmore Girls. Delightful And it's how many seasons is it? Seven seasons?
Speaker 1: Seven?
Speaker 2: Seven seasons?
Speaker 1: Oh my god? And we're just getting started, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so should they have been well, let me ask you this, okay, please, do you think that Luke is the best match for Laura l I yes, I do.
Speaker 2: And I'm not just saying that because you're sitting here, well, because you know, he may not be her equal in every single way. But then again, she's not his equal in a lot of ways, you know what I mean. And I feel like they compliment each other. They're very very well and they have that incredible chemistry, you know, and they have that incredible history. And he makes that really good coffee, you know. You know, someone makes that coffee for you, darling. That's a hard thing to be but no, but you know, and I think that they wrote it in such a way that they kind of convinced us that it was the right thing. You know. They threw you off, and they put you on, and they threw you off, and then finally in the end you got why they were right together, you know, whereas the other men in her life. You know, I always thought the teacher was kind of gorgeous too. The teacher was his name, Max, Max exactly. He was kind of a hot moment for Laurali as well. And in the end, she didn't bother. She just kind of let it go. And so I thought, Okay, well she doesn't care that much. I know what that's about. I Mean, that's the great thing about all of these and these characters is that you know, they're written to an extent where you understand perfectly by the end of the four episode arc or the season arc or whatever it is, where these characters are, you really do understand. And not because it's full of exposition or full of like it isn't. It's because it's like really psychologically very well considered. So yeah, So I think I always I everybody, the whole the whole world. I think that was the story. That was story number one, Right, Will Luke and Laurel I end up together? And we hope they do. Everybody was just hoping the whole time, even when we thought that Luke was a shot or Laurel I was a sh and they were shot together, we were still kind of hoping somewhere in the back of our minds that it would work.
Speaker 1: Who's your favorite boyfriend for Rory?
Speaker 2: That's so easy, it's logan, No, just completely Jess. Yes, I'm so shallow. I just think that Jess was the hottest first of all, the best looking, right, And there's something about the character that I think, first of all, he wrote a book, you know, so anybody who writes an actual book is a genius. And I think was it a book of poetry or was it a book? It was. It was a slim volume, you know.
Speaker 1: I think it was a book of poems.
Speaker 2: It was a book of poems, and it was a slim volume. And I think, like God, that is absolutely like that is the most heroic thing a person could do in their lives. I write a book and then a book of poems like that requires such an incredible will. That's the will of iron, you know. And so I always thought that she kind of missed the boat with Jess. And then of course later, you know, when he comes back, he's so cool, It's like, Wow, you really missed the boat. One thing I sort of can't believe is that we're still dangling in the world and we still don't know whatever happened to Rory.
Speaker 1: It's very very strange feeling, isn't it. After twenty three years, we don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean it, we still don't know what happened to her, you know, Like, do you know, do you secretly know what the Palladino Sherman's did to her?
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't know, And honestly I don't want to know.
Speaker 2: Don't want to know, you're kidding. I want to know how she ended up.
Speaker 1: Well, we saw how she ended up. We saw how she ended up.
Speaker 2: Well, she looks like Charlotte Rampling. So there's that. She's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: You think she looks like Charlotte Rampling.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, she looks exactly like you think.
Speaker 1: Alexis looks like Charlotte Rampling. I guess you know what, I guess she does.
Speaker 2: And she's extremely beautiful.
Speaker 1: I guess I guess she kind of does. Yeah, I see the jawl lie and yeah, okay, oh.
Speaker 2: It's that kind of also that mysterious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I know what you mean. Yeah, I mean Charlotte was a little I don't know more, I don't know what's the word tomboyish.
Speaker 2: She was tough as much, but she wasn't given the words to say by those crazy writers. A lot of words.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so who do you think? So you think so it's Jess for you?
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, Jesse. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: What do you think of this Logan guy in this relationship he's got going on with because I'm just starting to see the fruits of this relationship because we're in season five, we're well into season five, we're halfway more than halfway into season five. So Logan's kind of made his move.
Speaker 2: So when you didn't see the shows, but you didn't actually you only read your scenes.
Speaker 1: No, I read the scripts, but I don't remember them.
Speaker 2: Got it, Okay, got it?
Speaker 1: Got it, Isaac, Isaac. In order to shoot these scenes, you gotta have just, you know, store store this dialogue very temporarily and then then flush it and then make room for the new stuff. And that's the muscle you developed.
Speaker 2: It so hard, that's so hard. But the point about Logan, right, he was a necessary diversion for Rory. But I can't believe that in the redo. How How I can't believe how that kind of happened that she was she was kind of like brought into that and she sort of had that affair and everything that was really I didn't think that was going to happen, and it did. And I really like when real things happen, Like that's a really fucked up thing to happen, and they let it happen. They made it happen.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But anyway, going back to the season five or whatever you're on, where Logan kind of and she and you think it's a good thing, and it becomes this kind of necessary step for her, and you think maybe it's the thing that Laurel I never did, that the daughter needs to do because she can handle it, whereas Laurel I needed to rebel or something like that. Maybe she's living the dream of of of of Emily. You know, she's gonna she's gonna do it for Emily, right, And then sort of he begins to become this really boring, one note kind of rich person, you know, like that whole thing where he he does that ridiculous parachute parachute ParaSail thing and gets gets injured and almost dies.
Speaker 1: And you mean that the light Light and Death Brigade, the Life and Death Brigade where they jump off.
Speaker 2: The thing exactly exactly. It's like this umbrellas, like this freemason society that takes place in like these frat houses, and where he gets Harvard or something where he goes, oh yeah, he goes to yell as well, she goes to yell. That's what I mean, yea and yeah and so yeah, and so he jumps off a cliff with these friends of his and he injures himself like nearly nearly dead. He goes nearly dead, and there's Laurel I, who's you know, sort of devoted to him, and she nurses him back to health.
Speaker 1: Huh, all right, so that happens.
Speaker 2: I'm like, no, girl, no, no, no, no, no, you do not want this man. You're not nursing a rich man to health and then he loses all the money and everything. You're like no, no, no, no, no no no hu distance distance.
Speaker 1: Alight. So we have a fashion question for you.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: What do you think of laurelized bridesmaid's dress for Emily and Richard's vowel renewal? Do you remember that?
Speaker 2: I don't really remember it? No? Should I google it?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, it's okay if you don't. We have a million other question don't worry about because it was a We thought it was a some people. Some people on the panel thought it was great. Other people thought it was a little inappropriate for these I.
Speaker 2: Love the way they dress, I love those They have so many good sweaters. I have taken so many screenshots of those sweaters and sent them to my design staff, going, what about a cute little you know, like hand crochet, kind of harlequin with sequence.
Speaker 1: I'm not kidding.
Speaker 2: They have some good knitwear, some good knitwear. Carthy had some good prints. It was a good sense of Print's character.
Speaker 1: She liked.
Speaker 2: She liked to Print.
Speaker 1: Is there a storyline that you would change? What would it be?
Speaker 3: If?
Speaker 1: If? If? If you think there's a storyline you would change?
Speaker 2: Could I really say this? Because I don't, because I didn't. I don't watch the remake as much as I watched the regular season. But as I remember, like Laurela I has this really shy moment in the remake, It's like she takes her whole life, takes a really kind of like a path that I don't like, and I want her not to. I would, I would, I would somehow try to No, no, no, she has an affair with Logan or something, and it's like laurelaybody else Laurel I No, I'm sorry, did I say Laurela? I met Rory? Oh Orlai has a great are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: She's like all right, no, no, okay.
Speaker 2: Has the greatest trajectory of.
Speaker 1: All right, So okay.
Speaker 2: So I'm getting confused again between Dean like I did with Diana.
Speaker 1: So you so you object to the Rory Logan storyline?
Speaker 2: Yes, I object to the later Rory Logan storyline. They get together in London. I just don't like it. I find it like distasteful and beneath our Rory. You know, we raised Rory better than this, Okay, we I don't believe that she would go there.
Speaker 1: I just don't, Isaac. We have so many other questions, but we've run out of time and we're gonna have we get We have to have you back on. I mean, it's just you come back on. You're the super fan of all super fans.
Speaker 2: You know what I need? I need the MASL super fan podcast. Who's going to do that podcast? Because that is what Forget about it? Right now? I am obsessed. I can't live with the fact there are no more episodes of mas coming. I can't stand it. Could you please tell them right?
Speaker 1: Well? Maybe I'll do it. Maybe maybe I'll just do it.
Speaker 2: Could do you love that show as much as me?
Speaker 1: Show? I have not seen the show?
Speaker 2: Come on, why are you living under a rock or something? What's wrong with you? That's crazy? Man?
Speaker 1: Enough to discuss what's wrong with me?
Speaker 2: The greatest thing in the world ever written.
Speaker 1: Okay, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: I find it like, can I tell you what I think? It's like a microaggression against Jews that you don't watch that show. I mean it. It's like, seriously, Darling, I mean it. Watch the damn show.
Speaker 1: I want to. I want to hear about your podcast. Tell us about your podcast, Hello Isaac.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's called Hello Isaac. And we talk It's really just a lot of funny talk, but we we end up talking a lot about failure and how it kind of changes your life. And you talk about like good things and bad things and ugly things on my podcast. But I think it's a smart thing to talk about, like failing, I really do, because it's it's it's got a bad rap. I think failure is a very very good thing in people's life.
Speaker 1: I have I have a I have a great suggestion for a for a guest me. Why don't you have me on Let's book it man, Love of God, Let's go am. I can talk about failure all day.
Speaker 2: Failure Babe, you got the right guy starring Scott Patterson. You know, I think you should be doing this podcast. Amazing podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna do them all, all right, I'm gonna do them all. So what kind of guests are you having on your podcast?
Speaker 2: We have all kinds of guests we have, well we have who do we have? We have Andy Cohen and we have Belinda Carlisle and Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Gabby Sida Bay and oh I can't think of Jacques Pepin, you know, the famous chef. And we have this person coming on called Betty Hallbrush who is a fantastic like sort of fashion expert. We have.
Speaker 1: I want to be on. I want to be on.
Speaker 2: You're on, Darling.
Speaker 1: I want boy, can we wax philosophic about imagine failure?
Speaker 2: Well, I want to talk about like, you know, what you've done in your life besides Gilmore.
Speaker 1: Is that want a lot of failure? But you know it makes a failure maketh the man and and nice clothes too, you know. Always great to see you. Stay cool, you get to the beach, ride.
Speaker 2: Some waves through, make it through the summer.
Speaker 1: It's not it's come on, it's great out there. It's beautifull out there.
Speaker 2: It is, it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's gorgeous out to you know, ride some waves, go to some clam bakes and have some bonfires on the beach. Are they allowed you a love to do that anymore?
Speaker 2: Well, maybe I'll host a clam bake. That's a very good idea.
Speaker 1: Are you like, are you juiced in over there politically? I mean, do you go to all the big fundraisers and hanging out with it?
Speaker 2: Really? No, I thing is I don't. I decided that I'm not. I'm not a community oriented guy. I do my best, you know I do. I do what I absolutely have to do, right, But otherwise I like to just stay quietly in my home with my dogs and be in my pool. I don't even like going in the ocean. Honestly, I could be anywhere. I could be anywhere in the entire United States. Really, if it was close to like a gourmet food emporium, I'd be fine.
Speaker 1: Isaac. It is always a great pleasure seeing you and speaking with you. Good luck with everything. We'll see you next time, and I will come on your podcast.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're going to book that immediately.
Speaker 1: Let's book that immediately. We will unearth mysteries, and we will we'll attempt to entertain. At the same time.
Speaker 2: You're going to pump you for gilmore information, Okay, information about the Sherman Palladinos.
Speaker 1: I think I may give it up. I don't know you're hard to resist. You're you're an irresistible force. All the best of my friends. Much love, and take good care of yourself.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, buddy.
Speaker 1: Everybody, don't again. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.