Speaker 1: Welcome to the Tutor Dixon Podcast. Today, I have Kyle Olsen with me from The Midwesterner, and Kyle, I want to kind of go through what's happening on the Democrat side, because everybody says that they're melting down. But there's a few key points that I want to get into. And one last week we saw that Randy Weiningarten, who is the president.
Speaker 2: Of the American Federation of Teachers, so.
Speaker 1: The teachers' union the second largest, right, yes, there's two, yes, Okay. So we find out that she decided she didn't want her appointment to the DNC, which she has apparently had since two thousand and nine. She was on the Rules and by Laws committee. And it was funny because this came out and conservatives were like, wait a minute, we didn't know she actually had a position within the DNC, which I think shocked people somewhat. I don't think people were totally stunned by it, but I am stunned by it because here is somebody who was making decisions about whether or not our kids could be in school while holding a position with the Democrats who were in charge at the time, so a powerful position within their party, making decisions about the rules of how they run their party. And she's also in charge of funds that come from so they're completely siphoned off of what the taxpayers pay the teachers. So she's taking public funds and using them and funding an organization that puts her on a committee. I mean, you cannot make this stuff up.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it shows the unions, whether it's the NEA or the AFT or the UAW or SCIU or any of them, they run the Democratic Party. Unions run the Democratic Party, and so for all of the conventions and everything that we see on TV, the unions are calling the shots. So it's not entirely surprising to me to see that she's on a committee because the unions give, you know, millions of dollars to the party every year and and they control it. But I think, I think what it shows is that the the A f T and the other unions, but the AFT in particular, because that's what we're talking about, is a political organization, right, and they are not about how can what what can we do to make sure kids can read, or that we increase graduation rates or we close the the you know, racial gap, or any of those achievement gap, any of those sorts of things. They're not They're not concerned by that. What they care about is political power, electing the candidates that are going to serve them, and winning at the bargaining table. That's all they care about.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would almost argue, though, that that is secondary to what they do politically, and it should be first. Collective bargaining should be first for them. They should be trying to get the teachers the best possible wage. But I would almost argue that what we've seen with Randy Winengarten at the HELM has been that she is pushing an agenda more so than taking care of teachers. Even when I hear her do these speeches, she's not. I have not, and maybe I'm not paying enough attention. You can correct me if I'm wrong, But I have not heard her out there saying teachers need to be paid more. I have heard her out there screaming about political rhetoric, screaming about Ukraine, screaming about President Trump, screaming about keeping kids out of school because teachers were having to write their own obituaries and all this. I mean, remember that when they had teachers writing their own obituaries. But to me, it's very important to think about her even wanting to be on the Rules and Bylaws Committee because you're in a position where you think that you can make rules. And she was suddenly open with us about, yeah, we're actually making the rules for the CDC. Remember that. So they're making these decisions as to what will happen to kids during COVID. She somehow had a connection, which obviously she's high up in the DNC, so she's high up with all the Democrat leaders. So she gets this connection with the CDC and she starts making these rules about whether or not we can put kids back in school. She felt like that was her decision. Now, think about the fact that she felt like that was her decision to make these political decisions because it wasn't medical. It was political, and as soon as you have Randy Weingarten making the decision, it's not medical at all. So she felt like she was in that position. We have a problem, like you just said, where kids can't read across this nation. It's not just in certain areas. We have a consistent problem across the country, but we also have a problem where there have been woke agendas and pushed on our kids at our school, and I believe that comes from her too.
Speaker 2: Well, of course it does. That's the culture of the Union and the AFT in particular. They have they have promoted this concept of teaching the whole child. So it's not just a matter of writing and reading and math and all of that. It's providing services that most people would argue families provide, doing laundry, doctor's appointments, those sorts of things. Their their their idea is they want the school to sort of be the community center and where people kids' families live their lives and have all of their needs met. That's what they ultimately want. Now in terms of salaries, yes, the union cares about salaries, but they also care about what they call working conditions, and that is I mean, I've seen contracts literally that that dictate what the room or what the temperature of the teacher's lounge is going to be, or what the color paint in the teacher's lounge is going to be. This is and this is why these a lot of these contracts are hundreds of pages long, because they want to negotiate about every single thing. And again they're not negotiating about well, what are we going to do to make sure that we instead of a forty percent reading proficiency, we're going to get to sixty percent or eighty percent. They're not negotiating about that.
Speaker 1: Well, I also think, I mean, you make a great point. They aren't negotiating because there's no one holding their feet to the fire. There's no one saying, well, okay, if you don't hit these numbers, then we're going to have to reduce the amount of money each school gets. And I guess if that's the purpose of the teachers' union, is that they're going to negotiate dollars, well, then there has to be some accountability to if you get these dollars, then what are you as a union going to do to ensure that the people that are doing the jobs are accomplishing the goal of the job. Which seems that seems to me like teaching one oh one because or business one oh one, I would say, because if we had people in our own company who weren't completing the task, they wouldn't get paid. But for some reason in our schools, if and I'm not saying I'm not talking about any specific teachers, but if there is a school that is failing and there is consistent failure among multiple students, there has to be some accountability for that, but there's not. Right now, how does the system.
Speaker 2: Work, Well, it's I think a lot of times it's there is not student growth because there's week leadership, and the leadership has got to hold the teachers accountable and the week leaders don't do that, and so you don't see you don't see change. But in terms of what the union is really trying to do, I mean, you go back to the pandemic and Randy Weingarten's objective again was about the adults, and it was she was looking out for the teachers and the adults in the system not and so she wanted to, you know, keep them safe, and she in her way to do that was to keep kids out of the classroom and keep everyone remote, so then that way that the adults wouldn't get sick. And she it didn't bother her that there were you know, there was there were years where kids were falling behind, they weren't reading, weren't learning how to read, et cetera. That didn't that didn't bother her.
Speaker 1: So Mike Pompeo runs called her the most dangerous person in the United States. And I think a lot of people thought that was an exaggeration at the time, But I would say, look at how long she's been here. I mean, how long has she been the president of.
Speaker 2: The AFT Over ten years, at least.
Speaker 1: Over ten years, So this amount of timing. I've seen pictures of her with Hillary Clinton that looked like they were twenty years ago. So she's been politically active for a very long time.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: And the reason I say this is because we talk about this woke agenda that's being pushed in the schools, and concern about the woke agenda that's being pushed in the schools, and like, oh, could that be coming from Randy Weingarten. Well, the reason that she decided she doesn't want to be a part of the DNC anymore is because she was upset about what happened with David Hogg. So you all remember David Hogg. He was one of the victims in the Parkland shooting. He's one of the students was there, he witnessed what happened. He came out as an activist for students, and he continued to stay as an activist on the Democrat side. And I would say that he wouldn't say this, but I would say that he leans toward the socialist side, which I would also say that, though he wouldn't say that, he did just openly endorse the man who is running for mayor of New York, who has come out multiple times and said he is a socialist. So if you are endorsing socialism and you're putting your name on that, then you must believe in socialism. And I think, honestly, I do think that this is a problem with some of the people in David Hogg's generation, that he doesn't realize what he's saying is socialism. I think he's so has so little.
Speaker 2: I don't think but that the way you just said that was he would be bothered if he knew that. No, I think he is.
Speaker 1: I don't think he is right. Yeah, absolutely No, I don't think that he is in any way bothered by it. I think he just likes to come out and say this is not what I'm for. If I mean, this guy has clearly stated that he is a socialist, this is Zorin, and he's come out and endorsed him. So I do think that that's the direction he's going now. I say that because the reason that Randy wine Garten decided she didn't want to be on the Rules and Bilaws Committee anymore was which was June fifth that she came out and said this. I think it was June eleventh that the Rules and Bylaws Committee conveniently said David Hogg doesn't fit the requirements to be the vice chairman of the DNC. He had been elected. They're saying, oh, something about his gender. He couldn't be because of his gender, and she would have been essentially yes, that wasn't that wasn't acceptable. So poor poor David Hawk. That wasn't the reason though. The reason, I mean that was the technicality that they caught him on. So they're like, oh, thank goodness, we're such a whoa, that's it. We're such a woke organization. We can come up with a technicality to kick him out. But that is that is what would you call it. That's the technicality they used to get rid of someone who said he was going to primary primary there candidates.
Speaker 2: It's just but it's just so funny. It's like they didn't realize he was a white male before, but then suddenly when he's like stepping out of line.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, because it's not all a joke. All of these checking the boxes is a joke. I mean, look at what they ended up doing with Kamala Harris. Well, I'll say, this is the same thing they did with Joe Biden. They're like, oh, you don't actually fit anymore yet, let's put you back behind the curtain Wizard of Oz. So this is what they're doing with David. But she must not have loved this. She was not, and she openly came out and said she was not happy about what they did to David Hogg. And she resigned before it was officials, so she would have been on that committee discussing the fact that he was going to be kicked out, and she resigned on the fifth. He gets kicked out on the eleventh. He had come out and said he was going to spend twenty million dollars to primary people that were not with what they think the Democrat Party. What did he say? He said they were like weak minded or they weren't strong enough, and he.
Speaker 2: Was going to go out socialist enough.
Speaker 1: Right, and they were in strong blue districts, so strong blue Democrats had been there for a long time. He was going to go out there and primary them, and he has this this organization's called Leaders We Deserve. So when he started to become an activist and had like the March for Lives or something like that, and which was like to talk about kids at high school kids, he then recently, I think in twenty three he created Leaders We Deserve. And it's significant because in the last quarter of twenty four he had projected that he would raise a million dollars and in small dollar donations like twenty five dollars donations, he ended up with three million from just the fourth quarter. So I know that when they heard that he was going to primary people, they got nervous because to me, that is significant. Right now, we're hearing that the DNC is in total chaos, that they can't raise money, that they don't have any money, that they're looking for unique ways to bring in money. But for some reason, this socialist kid brought in three million dollars from in smaller dollar donations in three months.
Speaker 2: Well, I think what's happening is they're in disarray and you've got people like him who are trying to pull the party to the left, which is hard to believe that it can go any farther left. That's what they're trying to do. And I think that there's others who realize that if they go farther left, it's going to be a total disaster. And so they don't really have a leader. And this is really the fundamental problem that they have as they're trying to fight President Trump's agenda. They don't really have a leader. So you sort of see these heads kind of popping out. Remember it was a couple of months ago, it was Corey Booker, and so you see sort that these people kind of you know, pop up and there's a struggle going on. And so you've got you have people like David Hogg who wants to throw out these incumbents, which historically they don't do. It's like they protect the incumbents. They leave those people alone.
Speaker 1: You don't want to have to spend money to defend them, especially when you are in a situation where you're trying to win back the house. So for them, if you look at this, I can see why they're mad because they're like safe seats. Don't mess with our safe seats. Let's make sure we woing back. They have President Trump in office, it's like their worst nightmare. You know, they want to win the House, they want to win the Senate. And you've got a kid who somehow has fundraising power and he's out there every day and he's not going to slow down. And he's got the support of the teachers union. So now suddenly do they go with him? And they are losing their unions and they already lost. So the public unions are still with them, but the non public unions have left them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of the trade unions, yea, the blue collar trade unions have. But David Hogg, he is he has This is not going to sound right, but he has perfectly exploited what happened at Parkland and leveraged it for political purposes, which I think is completely disgusting. But he has perfectly figured out how to manipulate the media, how to grow a list, how to raise money, how to leverage all of that for his political ends. And so now what we're seeing is he was elected as one of the vice chairs, much to the dismay of you know, all of the other people there. They figured out how to throw him out, but he's not going away, and I think the other sort of divide or you know, chaos that's going on in the party is there was just this No King's Day protest and it was a lot of the it was indivisible, it was the Party for Socialism and Liberation. It was a lot of far left groups that are organizing. And if you look at the map that they put out, their major events were all in twenty twenty six Senate race states. I mean, this is not this is not a coincidence about what's going on. And I believe so you said, what David hagg is trying to do. He's trying he's identifying these blue districts and he's trying to find candidates that are farther left. And I think what's happening is when you see the No King's which people sort of laugh and you know, laugh it off. You can't laugh it off. Their goal is to organize five percent of the country and have their information, have them activated, and if they're capable of doing that, that would be a major, major thing. And No King's Day they organized and they have data on three and a half percent of the country. They had one of their calls, one of their organizing calls by the ACLU, which was involved, they had over twenty thousand people on the call.
Speaker 1: But see, this is where I okay, So this is where I argue that Republicans get to the point where they get people in office and they think, okay, we're in good shape, and they don't do this. And I mean, I don't see a lot of events outside of the standard Lincoln Day dinner. I don't see big events where people get to see speakers and get to feel like they're a part of something bigger than them. And that's happening on the Democrat side. And people have said to me, watch out. Just what you just said, watch out, because as they continue to engage people, we're not And I just heard this. I was in Detroit a couple days ago, and I just heard people saying, Hey, there's people over on this side of the state that feel like everybody was here during the election and now they've kind of stepped away and they want more answers, they want more attention. People do crave attention when you've asked somebody to come over to your party and be a part of your party. And I believe this from our friends over in Dearborn and ham Trammick, when you have asked them take a step out of what is acceptable in your community and come out there and campaign with us and join us. You better show up again. And that's what they're doing. They're recognizing that, and that's what look after twenty sixteen, they got so organized, and that's what people need to understand. It was malicious, but it worked. They created these nonprofits, They went out, they started newspapers, they were doing these types of these protests. Like you said, everybody's on an email list. Now everybody's out there together. They're well funded. They have these people then in there in their system to go out and knock doors so that when those center races come around, they win the Senate and we go, how did that happen? Because there's not a team on our side doing this right?
Speaker 2: Well, I think Republicans, I think conservatives and liberals are fundamentally different. I think conservatives generally speaking, are you know, are independent. They don't want someone telling them what to do. But I think liberals generally speaking, I mean, it's the very premise of a union. It's that we're going to have we're going to have someone telling us what to do. Someone's you know, for the greater good. And so that's what we're seeing happening. And so this No Kings thing, it's it's a collection of you know, all of these different groups, unions, et cetera. And their goal is to affect twenty twenty six. Because if they can affect twenty twenty six, they know that's how they stopped Donald Trump. If if they if the Republicans can lose the majority in the House and or the Senate, Trump's Trump's legislative. You know, agenda is on the rocks. And that's what it's all about. And so go back to twenty twenty what did they do. They isolated the whole George Floyd situation, and they rallied and they organized, and they quote unquote protested over that, and they use that one moment and it's the same thing. Now it's the ice raids, and it's what happened in Los Angeles, and they they identify this one thing that they can rally you know, their side around, and I think that they are doing it very effectively. And I think that Republicans and Conservatives who just sort of, you know, laugh it off or dismiss it, they've got to realize that they that the left is energized. Yes, they're in disarray, but they're getting organized. And where the I think where the DNC and where the Democratic Party is sort of falling away. These this no King's indivisible, et cetera, are filling that void.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick commercial break. We'll continue next. On the Tutor Dixon podcast, there was a Democrat that was recently on Fox and they were asking him, how is this happening to the party. Why is it that you're splintering, and they are splintering because they do have this faction that wants to go further left. I would say that they are in a situation where I think that there were people who were saying that this was happening to the Republican Party in twenty twenty, but I think I think that what I see on the Democrat side is way worse than what happened in twenty twenty. There were arguments in twenty twenty over COVID and something that was a moment in time. What they're arguing about is truly defining them for the long term. So they have this group that is like the trans rights group, the social issues group, the side that has social issues on there. That's all they're focused on and really what we've found is social issues are not great in elections. They don't really help either side. There's very rarely the social issue. I think marijuana. They won big lely with the marijuana, and then they thought, oh, all social issues marijuana and abortion were good. The rest of these things for them, let me clarified, they were good for them, But the rest of these things I think are really splintering them. And I heard this Democrat on Fox saying we have a problem with our side right now because they aren't telling people we want to do this for you. He said, we used to come to people and say we want to provide this for you, we want to give you this free, and we want to give you that free, which obviously I don't like, but at least they were talking about what they thought that people needed. He said, Now we're on issues that people aren't interested in, or we're just saying Trump is bad. Hate Trump, and he said Trump is bad is not a message of what Democrats are going to do for you.
Speaker 2: Right And so what we're seeing play out right now with these protests and these far left groups, is that going to translate into electoral success into winning on election day? Because I think that I haven't seen polling, but I would guess most normal people are not really attracted to that sort of thing. And you look at Trump's polling, and he's never been more popular. I mean, even when he's in the even when his popularity is in the high forties, he's never been more popular. So he and he's sticking he And the thing is, he was very clear in twenty twenty four about what he wanted to do, what he stood for, what he was going to do when he got in office, all of that, and he's doing it. Whether it's he talked about tariffs, he's doing that. He talked about deportations, he's doing that. He talked about securing the border, He's doing that. So people are seeing, oh, he's doing what he said he was going to do. Now a lot, yes, a lot of it is through executive orders. Securing the border, I mean that's you know, that's in his purview, so he can do that. But a lot of it is executive orders. So the Congress has to step up and actually codify a lot of what he's doing in the executive orders into law. So that way, if for whatever reason, the Democrat wins in twenty twenty eight. They don't just undo it everything. But the point is he's popular, and that's obviously complicating what the Democrats and the far left groups are trying.
Speaker 1: To do, and the things that he's done that they don't like, like defunding NPR and PBS. I find it funny because I haven't seen Democrats coming out and screaming about that, because what are you going to say, the people should pay for a news station? Why should that be the case, especially in today's market, If you have such a good product, it is so easy to monetize something like that, and they claim their product is so crucial they should be able to monetize it. If you cannot pay for your own news services, then maybe you shouldn't exist. But to have the people have the taxpayers, who fifty percent of them don't agree with the messaging that's coming out of PBS and NPR, to have us fund a propaganda machine is so outrageous. So even when they have complained about the things that Trump has done, they haven't really been able to deep dive into them because then and they would expose their own problems.
Speaker 2: But also, he's been running at light speed, so it's like he does something when they're getting ginned up to complain about that, he's moved on to something else and they have not been able to keep up. And so he's been doing. His administration has been doing so much every single day that it's very hard for them to keep up and be effective.
Speaker 1: I always wonder if they're like, oh, crap, we should not have given him those four years to thing, because they ended up with him again and he was ready to go and he has. I think really that four years allowed him to prepare for this and to move at the speed that he's moving at because I mean, if he had gone straight through, think of you would have had that same team, there wouldn't be the players that are there now. I think that this team that he has put together has been so amazing together and the things that they have discovered and the speed at which they're working. I just wonder how often the Democrats have looked back and on, man, we really screwed up with Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I think that's I think that's fair. If he would have won, if he would have been declared the winner in twenty twenty, I'll put it that way, it would have been a continuation of the first four years.
Speaker 1: But I mean, now you see them coming out and saying, oh, yeah, there were people the Chinese were providing driver's licenses. I mean, there really is a question they really and that I think they are terrified of him looking at that election and saying what happened because even in the state of Michigan, now, in the last election, we somehow caught this Chinese national who was voting. And you have to question how many times did this happen, how many states did this happen? And remember the secretary of State in Michigan said, I'm collaborating with these other secretaries of state to make sure he can't get elected.
Speaker 2: Right, And it's not just the presidential election, because you know, maybe ten thousand people voting in the eight in a presidential election may not affect the presidential election. But there's local elections, right, there's state legislature, there's county elections that that could have made a difference. We don't know, and it needs to be investigated, correct, So it needs to be investigated. And you know, I'll just say one of my concerns about he's negotiating a deal with China right now, and one of my concerns is that part of it is that he allows It's like I've seen three hundred thousand, I've seen five hundred thousand Chinese students to stay in the country, and that's concerning to me because you look at what's happening in Michigan. We have the Midwesterners has reported about nine students at the university Chinese national students that are at the University of Michigan who have been charged with crimes ranging from voting in the twenty twenty four election, trying to bring in these you know, these the toxins that will affect the food supply. There were individuals who were caught taking photos and surveilling a military base, and so what is going on And I think that that needs to be scrutinized before as part of a Chinese trade deal to ensure that we're not just allowing Chinese spies to come into America on our university campuses, in businesses, et cetera. That's got to be dealt with.
Speaker 1: I think when it's happened in your own state and you see it here and you think about your own child going to a university where they if they were testing a biotoxin, they could go into the farmer's field and kill off our wheat supply and kill off our grains. What else were they willing to test? Because obviously we know COVID leaked from the Wuhan lab and that was really just the beginnings of what they have when it comes to bioweapons. But the fact that these students smuggled it in and kids don't think that way, that has got to be the government.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's any doubt, and so that has got to be It's got to be investigated. It should be investigated by the State of Michigan. The House of Representatives has the power to do that. It should be investigated by the CCP Committee in the US House. It certainly should be investigated by the FBI and the DOJ, et cetera. But I think that this we cannot just continue to allow Chinese students into America without an extremely extremely thorough vetting. And if they can't pass the vetting or there's questions remain, they shouldn't be allowed to come here. And what's disturbing about the whole thing is that these universities and these states are making this economic argument, like, well, if we don't have three hundred thousand students all the money we're going to lose. Well, at some point, our national security has to be more important than tuition.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick commercial break. We'll continue next on a Tutor Dixon podcast. I've heard the argument that kids in Michigan aren't being because our our scores are low and they don't need to take them. You know, so kids in Michigan are losing their spots at college, university or colleges and universities because they're bringing in Chinese students, and the whole, the whole education decline in the United States has caused these places to be open at these elite universities, and now you have students from other countries taking spots that once would have been students from the United States if the education levels had stayed at the rates they should have been.
Speaker 2: Well, this is a whole This should probably be a whole other episode. I know we're going because I mean, one of my complaints about about state you know, state universities, public universities is that they're there is an economic incentive for them to accept out of state students because they get more from them than in state students, right, And so here we Michigan tax payers are giving Michigan, Michigan State, you know, several other state universities millions of dollars, hundreds of millions of dollars every single year, and they are educating students. And then those students are just they're going back to China, they're going to other states. They're they're leaving Michigan states.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're not. We don't are graduating on stay.
Speaker 2: So why should we as Michigan taxpayers be paying to educate students who have zero intention of staying in Michigan.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: That's a whole other episode.
Speaker 1: That's a whole other episode. On that note, I will say thank you for being here Kyle Olsen with The Midwesterner, and I just want to have you plugged The Midwesterner for a little bit because you're you are putting these stories out, you're covering this stuff every day, and you guys are really smart about what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. Yes, you can find us at the Midwesterner dot news. And we're right, we're covering what's going on in Lansing, the fight in state government over spending, in policy and everything else. What's happening in our universities, what's happening in our K twelve schools, what's happening in our communities. The incursion of the CCP into Michigan communities and the attempts to do that. So there's there's a lot of things that we.
Speaker 1: Cover from Twitter.
Speaker 2: Is the Twitter handle, our Twitter handle x is ths in the but th underscore Midwesterner.
Speaker 1: Okay, check it out. Thank you so much for being here, and thank you all for listening to the Tutor Dixon podcast. For this episode and others. Go to Tutor Dixon podcast dot com, the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts, and you can watch it on Rumble and YouTube at Tutor Dixon. Thank you so much. Join us next time and have a blessed day.