Speaker 1: It's Wednesday, August sixteenth, and welcome into the Ravens Press Pass podcast. The Ravens wrapped up their second day of joint practices with the Washington Commanders leading into the preseason contests in Washington coming up on Monday night. After practice, we heard from head coach John Harbaugh, linebacker Brokwan Smith, offensive lineman Kevin Zeitler, and wide receiver Odell Beckham Junior. Let's start things off with Coach Harball.
Speaker 2: Okay, good seeing everybody out here. Appreciate the scene, you know, you look around, you see the fans. Both teams had fans are obviously they'd some fans that came up, which is fun. Appreciate Ron Rivera, the Commander's organization for bringing the team up here. Appreciate their team for the good good competition, man, good practices, and just just the first class coaching staff there and all that. So I'm just really happy that we got a chance to get this in. I think we got better as the you know, because of the practices and all that, and hope they feel the same way. Now we'll be onto our next routine. We'll play them Monday night and we'll be going forward from here, So what question do you have Johnson?
Speaker 3: The report out that Tomorrowlin he's gonna require foot surgery. What can you tell us about that?
Speaker 2: Can you repeat the last part?
Speaker 4: There's a report that.
Speaker 5: He's gonna require foot surgery and he's gonna have to miss some of the regular season, can you right?
Speaker 2: I can't comment on how much you'll have to miss because I think that's that timeline is indeterminate right now. It's it's uh, it's uh, it's it's just hard to determine. It's not gonna be a long term deal though, And he is getting foot surgery today. That's confirmed, so I'm sure he is going to have practice. No, it's been a lingering thing. And they took a look at it and uh said, you know what, that's something we want to take care of.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Instead of waiting men out a really.
Speaker 4: Good day, you can tell them about needs development.
Speaker 2: Charlie Cohler, you know that's good. I mean I was, I was kind of managing a lot of things. So I haven't seen the tape yet, so uh, to hear that makes me happy. You know, they had a really good day because that's what we've been shooting for. Charlie's a big, physical, talented guy, and I want him to express himself out to that way as a player. And that's good to hear that he did it. I can't wait to see the tape.
Speaker 6: Ans and made the same set up for the instancing game.
Speaker 3: That Star's gonna play at all until you beat under guys.
Speaker 2: It'll be in the neighborhood. I don't know exactly what you know, which way we'll go with certain guys, but it'll be in the same along the same lines.
Speaker 4: John, I mean, just like a general practice question, like.
Speaker 3: Have you ever in your in your.
Speaker 4: Rear like you feel like you gained in your mantage from seeing like a better team to practice or see if you have the team practice and when.
Speaker 3: You off the head advantage from someone saying yours or saying glacier.
Speaker 2: I think it's a really good question. Certainly an advantage, how significant is the thing you have to decide, you know, I mean, if anything's out there. I'm sure that this was live stream, so I'm sure that you know the other teams will have those plays that they see and all that, So don't look at that. Your scouts will look at the players on it, just like they would a game. We do the same thing. You know with other practices. You have to make a determination for the organization. Do you want to shut it all down now let your fans see any of it, or do you want to give your fans a chance to see it so you know that you weighed out coaches. Obviously we're more concerned with the information, but I also feel like it's worth the work. It's worth getting out or going against another team and getting the work. And we're pretty conscientious about what we allow. You know, what we what we call, and what we run.
Speaker 6: It's not going up against the other team to get a different types of matchups because they're a specific matchup, one against the commanders. That allowed to look at a specific people in your own team more devils and.
Speaker 3: Then you know them.
Speaker 2: That's a really good, in depth, you know, precise question. And I would have to say I was thinking more big picture probably. You know, now you go back and you watch the tape and you start to see that, I mean, there's there's players we're looking at on our team and their team and different things like that that we want to learn, but nothing to that to that point really per se done that.
Speaker 3: Art about as you talk about about how imaginings m R. Talk to me, I see classic needs to change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I would have to say it's both to be honest with you, I mean, I do think it's an evolution because so many the schemes are similar and and a lot of the words in terms are the same. We kept a lot of it Todd. Todd's done a really good job of trying to blend it all together to create what we're going to be going forward. Now that's what you try to do. Does it becomes something different, something new? Yeah, nineteen it really was how new and how different it'll be we'll find out, but it will be what we feel we need to do to be most successful. And that's what you try to do.
Speaker 3: Kind of rock and now.
Speaker 7: Lol.
Speaker 3: It makes your level of trying to change to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's two levels of concern. The one levels long term there's no long term concern, that's good, and then there's a short concern. There's plenty of short term concern, and we've got to look at that. And it starts with the guys you have. We have guys that are ready to play, and they'll get an opportunity to get out there and and uh and continue to improve and get the reps and we'll see what they can do. And of course we're always looking for players too, all right, John, When when.
Speaker 3: A position, when a specific position gets you know, hit with the dailus, the.
Speaker 2: Venus like cornerbacks, like, what's the message to that room or that position to kind of even though they're going through it and missing a lot of guys.
Speaker 4: How to keep put out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't think it's any specific messages needed because these guys are pros. You know, they know, they know what they're they know what the situation is, and most guys look at like an opportunity. Here's my chance. You know, I'm gonna make the most of it. And that's what you want them to do.
Speaker 8: And I think you dressed the same day that it sounds like we'll continue to look for guys for a bell.
Speaker 2: They're just giving. I donna agree with your game.
Speaker 8: Sorry, you guys are gonna continue to look at quarter certain defens backs who are the bell they're giving all the injuries and just pays out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, you will look at them, but you know you canna understand, you know, it's it's late. You know, guys are most guys are on teams right now. So part of that with the guys who are veteran guys is who's in shape. I mean, you know, who's been working, who really wants to play this year? Because if you're guys out and you've got some you got some pedigree, you gotta be in shape, you gotta be ready to go. And that's you look at that. So it's really on those guys to be ready to play.
Speaker 8: John, we didn't see that.
Speaker 2: You didn't see a shout out there, and particular just the less are.
Speaker 3: Or if he ever to kind of setback.
Speaker 2: No, no setback, no, se BIG's a process. I mean there's a process to getting guys back. So he's on schedule.
Speaker 1: That was head coach Jean Hardwall providing some key injury updates, particularly as it pertains to cornerback Marlon Hunphrey. We also had a chance to hear from linebacker Rokwan Smith after practice.
Speaker 3: How would you say things went these past couple of days real fall.
Speaker 9: I thought things went great, got some good work versus the commanders. We came out, did what we had to do, and I felt like we got better as a team. So that's all you can ask for in these joint practices. And I'm sure those guys will say the same.
Speaker 3: In South here, guys like.
Speaker 6: You haven't been able to go up against another teams to like finally being needed.
Speaker 4: To hit a different jersey.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, It's always great when you're having an opportunity to go out hit guys on an opposing team as opposed to hitting your own guys for three weeks or so, So it was great. And then being able to just get out and work against people who may not know your moves as good as someone from the opposing team may know.
Speaker 4: So I enjoyed it and I thought it was great work and we all got better.
Speaker 5: Group ons that Marlan's gonna have to up surgery.
Speaker 4: The timeline for him turn not to turping yet.
Speaker 5: But you know, having Marlon out for any figure period, how does that impact the debut?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it definitely hurts the defense, you know when a leader like Marlon is not out there with us. But I know he'll get back as soon as he can, and uh, we'll pick up trying to pick up the slack where he's not there. When he's not out there, but looking forward to him being out there pretty soon.
Speaker 3: What if you thought of the performance of the two young guys.
Speaker 4: All, I think those guys are getting better each and every day.
Speaker 9: Watching nine nine and nine zero, you got the guys coming out ready to work, and it showed, you know, going up against the commanders and the reps, that the guys are getting So I'm looking forward to seeing what those guys are able to do come Sundays in the regular season when you have when.
Speaker 7: You have a list of CBS go down, or you know guys are out with injury in one specific group. As a leader as a team, do you at all go up to that kind of position group and talk to them like, hey, we need more out of you guys.
Speaker 2: Now, or now's your opportunity or trying to shine or anything like that.
Speaker 9: Or what do you planning to No, you can't really put much pressure on guys plate like that because at the end of the day, we all opportunists. So you know, guys are getting opportunities that may opportunities that may have never gotten the opportunity before, and you know, when you take advantage of that and just show the coaching staff exactly what you can do. When your name is called on and when the guys are down, you know, we room for the guys to get back as soon as they can. But the guys are out there with us. They're part of the team, so we're here to cheer mone and we expect them to make the same type plays as a Marlow as well.
Speaker 3: OK, wasn't play for any play there all the time and talk it out. But what's your question about all offense is not less.
Speaker 4: They have the same shoot.
Speaker 9: I think honestly, you should just probably watch the offense versus their defense and that'll let you know for sure. But from my from what I watched on film, you know the eye and the skuyt on lies they say. But I think it's good work going up against our offense, and they give us so many different pictures. Getting big ball can spread you out, can do so many different things, and I think that can prepare you for just about any opponent you'll face throughout the year. So I'm excited to see what our offense is gonna do uh weekend and week out, specifically.
Speaker 4: With Lamar and no Deell. I know you're linebacker.
Speaker 3: You're more folks on that.
Speaker 5: Have you seen how that that kind of relationship has to go out in the field free Lamara.
Speaker 10: And Ubie Dragons.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I see those guys, you know, kicking it as well, so and I think that's a good, good way to have that chemistry amongst those guys. And I think there's gonna be a lot of great things, a lot of deep balls, intermediate balls, and balls all over the field for those guys and that they're going to be sharing amongst each other.
Speaker 4: So I'm excited about that connection with those two.
Speaker 11: Focus like yourself, get wraps in the preseason, that's your biggest is to take away for your good got the.
Speaker 3: Preseason, good year.
Speaker 4: I think it's the most realistic work. And it's no rookie.
Speaker 9: It's not my first time not having reps in the preseason or whatever like that. So I think I know how to play ball, and it's just always good just to be able to go out here and get game like scenarios versus quality opponent and the commander. So it's it's never bad and you can never turn down good work.
Speaker 4: Well, and you guys got Simson.
Speaker 6: Backs on Monday, and I know he looks like he's easing his way back in what's the your impression.
Speaker 3: Of his return to help spor since he's.
Speaker 9: Come happy, you could tell he don't have the camp legs unless he's just twitched up like that. But yeah, I'm excited for the guy to keep learning, keep growing into his body, and so I think it's there's a lot of great things in store for him, and you know, Zo and Mike's just gonna keep molding into the player he's gonna be.
Speaker 6: That's what we talk a lot about, Patrick point and being able to get a couple of together.
Speaker 3: Have you voted guys being able to build the second chemistry?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 9: Absolutely, I feel like it's it's night and it's night and day, and sometimes can like kind of just assume where he's gonna be on certain plays. And I feel like just the more reps we get with each other in like joint practices of this sort, it just brings out the best in both of us and also just amp all communication up and makes us like actually know what one another gonna do and tough situation and game like situations.
Speaker 1: That was linebacker Rokwan Smith. We also heard from a veteran offensive lineman, Kevin Zeiler, who talked about this offensive line and the mindset going into this season.
Speaker 6: Kevin, what could you make up in the last two days being up to go against the the Madison.
Speaker 2: And there in Festive line.
Speaker 12: Oh, it's great for someone to come in and get some work with. Have a lot of respect for them. Obviously a very talented group, very tough to go against. But I think it's long gonna make us better in the long run. We learned a lot and now we have to use it and get better.
Speaker 4: Kevin, I guess all you talked gays.
Speaker 10: Wet for he.
Speaker 4: He's kind of trying to like as keeper and kind better level.
Speaker 12: Oh no, I was just asking him what he was thinking on that of the play right beforehand. You know, I thought they were trying to set something up and I was just, you know, curious if I read it right, Kevin, there's a.
Speaker 2: Good competition going on at the other hard spot. I mean, what is shoot out to you about both sala and and Simpson.
Speaker 12: I'll say this, both very talented guys. You know, sala coming in as a rookie, being able to move the way he does, the way he's picking things up, the way he plays. You know, you know, it's impressive for a guy that young, you know, to be able to do that.
Speaker 10: And then John, you know, coming in keeping a cool head.
Speaker 12: You know, he's big, he's strong, he can do anything we ask of him, and he keeps getting better every day. So I think, you know, no matter who ends up in that spot, I think we're gonna win in the long run.
Speaker 3: Like a lot of pats. You know, what's its extent about how it happens the top four?
Speaker 10: I'd say it's very fast, you know.
Speaker 12: I think he wants to make everything efficient, fast, clean, you know, so we you know, just one play, two, play, three play. You know however that goes like uh, you know, he's just trying to make it very efficient, so we know we can do what we do.
Speaker 4: Kevin, how how important is it for this guy?
Speaker 10: Starters were notartular really playing much precison.
Speaker 2: To kind of scratch that from type of pitch against another team.
Speaker 12: For any it's always good, you know, to you know, get after it. You know, honestly, we treat these last two days ass game days. You know, That's how we approach it as an on line and you know, I think we uh worked on the communication part.
Speaker 10: It felt like a game while we were out there and uh, you know, it's good for us, the typest.
Speaker 6: Thing about it.
Speaker 3: But I think it's you guys are hate.
Speaker 4: As they are.
Speaker 10: They're just super super good, super strong and super big.
Speaker 12: You know, you don't see guys like that every day, let alone, you know, the entire front built up of guys like that, So you know, you can't ask for better work than.
Speaker 3: That worthy people, you know.
Speaker 12: I think just more so than anything, it's confidence. You know, he knows football and now he's been in the league year. I mean he's just taking everything, his knowledge, his command to the line, to the next level.
Speaker 10: And I'm pretty glad he's on our team.
Speaker 5: What kind of between the connection between LA ball and you go, I think everyone he said once a talking about that.
Speaker 3: You know, do the big games and the football wine.
Speaker 10: I think it's just getting better.
Speaker 12: You know, like you said, like two of the you know, outlier best players in this league, you know, being together, I think that just allows, you know, for magic to happen.
Speaker 9: Guys.
Speaker 3: I guess really strong reference that it looks like you guys set a good really good pocket well passing.
Speaker 4: Hills today or how much confidence exact.
Speaker 3: You people a rest of football years?
Speaker 12: I mean, I think you know, anytime you go against a good competition and you know you battle and do all right, you know, I think it, you know, sets you up for the future. But I'm sure you know, you don't even know if we feel all right about you know, we're gonna watch them. We're all gonna banging our heads on our desks, like, all right, we got to get better. You know, we still have some time, uh, you know before the season starts, so we have to use every minute we can.
Speaker 4: N Uh, you've come for a lot of other.
Speaker 2: Organizations, of course, and uh talk a little bit of the coaching staff and if the winnings of the clothing companies.
Speaker 3: Obviously Simpson between him with a big problem with that. He said, wait, a couple of outside of the great weeks, you.
Speaker 12: Know, I think it's just you know, we work technique every day, We work about finishing, you know, trying to be in good position. And you know we have refs here all the time, so you know they're gonna call it if you know what happens during practice, so we know what the refs are thinking. And how like, you know, we can be sneaky and get away with it or better yet, you know, not do it, hope.
Speaker 7: A lot of talk about you, Mars increased the command of you huddled before the snap and have you seen him throwing that that carts are not in trouble?
Speaker 3: They play the knowledge of change.
Speaker 12: Yeah, absolutely, any time Lamar. You know, it makes any sort of change or call. You know, we know he's about to do something magical, so pretty excited when he does it.
Speaker 3: You know the opic the time was that George? Because I'm not hardly classified, but so how are all the time?
Speaker 10: I think?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 12: I mean, I think you know, we have you know a lot of really cool unique personnel all around the ball, so I feel like we're able to do anything and everything. So it's just on us, you know, and being on show them. You know, we can master it all and get it done. Talk about decisions, I know more so any think I feel like it. You know, when things are going well, you know, it breeds energy, you know, makes us want to do it more and more and keep going, and you know it's on nusty and shape and get it done.
Speaker 3: You think you're better Cardio dash ReLit this year because it.
Speaker 4: Really toping for many last year.
Speaker 12: You know, I think I always stay in shape, but you know, it doesn't hurt, you know, running tempo and doing all that good stuff all the time.
Speaker 1: That was veteran offensive lineman Kevin Zeitler. And last, but not least, we also heard from veteran wide receiver Odell Beckham Junior. He talked about his impressions of this offense and where he thinks he is heading into this season.
Speaker 3: Emmanuel Forbis a couple of times got out of four, three, five. Feed that a orometer where you feel.
Speaker 4: Like, what's his forty? Nah, but you just got to finish the play.
Speaker 11: Knowing that he's a younger guy was it was good to be able to go against someone else and you know, just communicate about things that they're learning and just seeing how they play technique and how they see things and things that He's definitely got some.
Speaker 4: Speed, but you know, I said, I told you I still got a little bit of lifting here, you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: On that same tchip, though Marlon said him wouldn't do to him what you might do to the opposition.
Speaker 3: Do you hold a gear back.
Speaker 4: In practice against against our teammates. Yes, yeah, there's some things I wouldn't do to my teammates that I you know, due to somebody else.
Speaker 11: So it's that fine line of like competing but keeping each other healthy and safe and uh, just being able to find work. So again, like I said, it was great to be able to go against another team and in different competition. I think the the last two days are very fine, very beneficial on both sides.
Speaker 3: Is that your first time going up against competition?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, than how your mind? It was good.
Speaker 11: Like I said, it was been over nine hundred days to sit back and just you know, watch everybody have fun and compete. Uh, which wasn't easy, but at the same time, there was some peace in it, just being able to have that time that I wouldn't normally have to spell my son, but just to be able to go against somebody else. Keep sharpening your skills and perfecting your craft. I still care for this game deeply. I've always been a perfectionist, so little things will definitely, you know, piss me off. I don't catch a pass or feel like I could have ran a better route. I'm still very you know. My biggest credit.
Speaker 2: Oh, now.
Speaker 6: The offense has started to hit on the summers that make the blades, then we're starting to see We're starting to see guys like Dobbins and Lament working their way back in.
Speaker 3: Are you starting to see this offense kind of blossom into what you guys are expecting.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, it's a it's a work in progress every single day at the same point in time, just to be able to get guys back. You know, you you slowly progress. You we all joke about it. You train our off season, it doesn't matter. You come out here, you run eight players in a row and you know you're you're gasping for air. So it's definitely a different shape that you have to get into. But you know, seeing Rashad, he looks great and his comeback. I just try and always keep people aware of you know, take your time, don't ever feel pressure to to get back in because at the end of the day, everyone on the Steam wants you to be a very best and be healthy. So just you know, those guys working their way back in, we have a great opportunity here. It's just about making the most of each and every day, finding ways to get better, even on those days you know we're all dog tired, just finding ways to progress.
Speaker 3: Odell, you can't know much.
Speaker 5: About Lamar or you know Lamar very well, before you signed and you guys went out to dinner that night. If you knowing much before then, and how much do you think where do you think that relationship has grown out since then?
Speaker 11: I mean I always knew of him and you know, never like hit him up, and you know we didn't, we didn't talk like that, but it was always a mutual respect from Afar. You know, I watched him when he was in college. I watched him when he was here. You know, you have a deep respect for greats and you know, the relationship is definitely developing. It's it's just cool to be able to kick it, you know, on and off the field, and what do you see or how do you see it?
Speaker 4: And a receiver always wants to work, you know for his quarterback.
Speaker 11: You know, you there's a guy who you're gonna he's gonna have to hang in there and take a hit every now and then to get you a touchdown and you have to take a hit.
Speaker 4: To complete the pass for him. Or it's a.
Speaker 11: Mutual you know relationship that you guys have to have there.
Speaker 4: So everything is cool. I'm definitely loving that.
Speaker 8: That said that happened kind of organic quotes head and he come to.
Speaker 4: You kind of it was coursed. Nah, you know it was.
Speaker 11: It was just it was just natural, you know, like I said, when you have a when you have a respect for somebody, you could see eye eye on things, or you know, you get to know how someone is, or you know, what's their family history, how do they grow up?
Speaker 4: You know, just those things. Just sitting there chopping it up again.
Speaker 9: Like I say, I'm coming across the middle expecting to take a hit for him, He's gonna have been hanging out and taking one.
Speaker 4: From the B line and every now and then or somebody.
Speaker 10: So every day we just trying to get better one percent.
Speaker 3: Like he quoted him, a lot of this stuffing from a lot of ordinative. It's standing out to you about knotting us.
Speaker 4: Oh, I definitely think he definitely thinks he wants to.
Speaker 11: Throw the ball, and we got a lot of talented guys, so I think just finding ways to get the playmakers the ball in their hands and being explosive offense, I think that's what stands out the most.
Speaker 4: I think, you know, as.
Speaker 11: Things progress, and obviously we play in September, we still have some time here to work out the kinks and get each and every play in concept down, I think that this would be a very explosive offense. It's explosive team as well, but specifically with the offense, I think that's the goal is to you know, be explosive.
Speaker 3: Radell, you mentioned the explosive plays. How would you assess the teams in the passive league with that?
Speaker 11: With that's whatever turn right, you know, I think there's always things you can improve on, and that's just me being a perfectionist, Like I'm always gonna say there's room for improvement. But I think we're at today, at this point, on whatever day it is in camp, I think we're in a good place. It's just about, you know, like I say all the time, just getting one percent better each than every day.
Speaker 4: But that I want to hope.
Speaker 3: So the cut it up for sad that he said that community get hurt in the first to turn down guys.
Speaker 11: That I've seen it, and you know, I hate the coulda, would have should have. But I could sit up here and tell you as someone at four or five years old, I always felt I was one of the best athletes, man. I mean that from the bottom of my heart. So I don't know about two hundred million. I would have definitely loved to have that. Uh, But you know, I just know that if I wouldn't, I would have loved to see what would have happened in my career if I had never been hurt. But I think God placed this journey for me to be here, specifically to be able to, you know, be.
Speaker 4: Exactly who I am today.
Speaker 11: And you know, the adversity that I've been through will allow me to you know, later on in life when things hit, I think I'll be able to handle it a little bit better.
Speaker 6: Oh, they're always seen guys like Sean Ryan, he had a good piece of the game to Blacksman good all summer.
Speaker 3: What have you seen from like the younger guys in.
Speaker 11: The arm, just that hunger that want you know, like I said, this this is their opportunity of a lifetime.
Speaker 4: And you know it's a tricky business. It's only fifty three that make it. And you know we got ninety guys in there, so every everyone's fighting for a spot. You know, it's all love and these are your brothers.
Speaker 11: But at the end of the day, each and every time you step on the field, each and every ref you take, this is your opportunity.
Speaker 4: To make the team.
Speaker 11: So these young guys that came in and braced the challenge, worked hard, you know, tried their best to perfect the craft, and they're out there making plays.
Speaker 4: So I love to see it.
Speaker 11: I'm always here to be you know, any advice you need or anything of that matter. I'm just happy for those guys. I'm happy when they score or catch a pass. It's like, so I gotta catch one. So it's all love in our room for sure.
Speaker 1: That was wide receiver Odell Beckham Junior. You also heard from Kevin Zeitler, Rokwan Smith, and Coach Harbaugh. And that's it for us on today's episode of the Ravens Press Pass podcast. But also if you want a full breakdown of everything that we saw out there on the field today, head over to the Lounge podcast feed. Ryan Make and Eye break down everything that we saw out on the practice field during the two days of work with the Washington Commanders. So you can check that out on the Lunch podcast feed. Subscribe there, leave a rating and a review as well. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 10: Talk with you again soon.