Speaker 1: This is live coverage up about twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood, Ford Store creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank, Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com. Guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery. CGR Wholesale and Hoss's Steak and Seahouse. Hass Is is hospitality.
Speaker 2: And normally this is part of the drive where I say, good evening, Pittsburgh, Good evening, Steeler Nation.
Speaker 3: How we do it.
Speaker 2: But it's only four o'clock here, so it's not quite evening yet, So good afternoon once again.
Speaker 3: As the sun is shining here at Chucknoll, fast day, it really is.
Speaker 2: It's like one of those it's a good summer day to be outside. You know, it's it's it's sunny, but it's in the it's in the load of mid seventies, it's not too hot, and there is you know, still some stuff going on with some of the equipment staff and some of the field people here, but other than that, it is mostly.
Speaker 3: Quiet, as it will be.
Speaker 2: I think pretty much every time you and I are doing a show this year, man, it'll certainly be a little different in that regard, and we kind of spent spend a good amount of time there in the first hour of the show talking about some of those differences already here at training camp, one of them being, you know, my co host Matt Williamson just raving about the looks of Michael Pittman Junior and how he's a strong, good looking dude. It's his first training camp here with the Pittsburgh Steelers, of course, as we all know, heading into what is his seventh year in the National Football League for the six' four wide receiver out OF. Usc here's What Michael Pittman junior said today after his first practice as A Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: Steeler first.
Speaker 4: Day, oh it's. GOOD i, mean like it's good that we're all like settled and we're all moved out. Here so it's great your first. CAMP i know it's new for a lot of people, here but also new for you being out. Here how was that if they want ABSOLUTELY i, mean obviously the offense get out here like for the first, time so just just working through some. Stuff AND i thought the defense practiced well today and we're looking forward to get back at them.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow WELL i know.
Speaker 5: It so how much can you kate play off these Older?
Speaker 4: ABSOLUTELY i MEAN i feel like it's just energy on top of energy and execution fuels execution AND i feel like both are both ARE i feel like both of us and some of our other guys can make. Plays so just being able to just build off.
Speaker 5: That how'd you find working more fans and pulling? Backs and IF i don't know how many at you look at you young, guys but WHO i saw how many in These?
Speaker 4: ABSOLUTELY i MEAN i think that all of them are doing great and they all bring different things like to the, table And marion is going to be our lead, guy and and those other GUYS i get to learn from, Them SO i think it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: GREAT i don't think guys is going to take the hopes thin phasis.
Speaker 4: On the, team especially at the and mixing out of the DOWN Indus states and how.
Speaker 2: Much time is?
Speaker 4: Last, ABSOLUTELY i mean there's so many games that come down to that last drive and just the fact that we're practicing it every single day AND i think will be the most conditioned team by the end. Accoump so how long.
Speaker 5: Will it take?
Speaker 6: Her will it take long for everyone to kind of there's so much newness, HERE i, mean not only do the coaching staff and mixing.
Speaker 3: With a lot of.
Speaker 5: Veterans how long does that take maybe for the team to get on the same.
Speaker 4: Thing, YEAH i mean it definitely takes. TIME i, mean no team like is a finished product until the very last. Game so as long as we keep on building like each day and keep getting, better then by the end of the, SEASON i think will be uh a happy.
Speaker 3: Team so how much do.
Speaker 2: Those trips out last kind of go toward help and build back chemistry before you guys.
Speaker 3: Even get the training.
Speaker 4: Camp, ABSOLUTELY i MEAN i feel Like aaron said it. BEST i, mean before that, trip LIKE i didn't really know those, guys and NOW i feel LIKE i know them pretty darn. Well so it's always good to just go do those things and take that. Time for.
Speaker 2: Sure do you have to teach them how to fishure their professionals out?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 4: No, NO i MEAN i Mean aaron is a very avid fishermen and a couple other, guys LIKE i felt like they were catching, fish so they knew what they were.
Speaker 5: Doing the biggest, CATCH.
Speaker 4: I don't, know because we're all kind of fishing in different, areas SO i didn't really keep truck to. Apples, yeah BUT i MEAN i THINK i caught the.
Speaker 3: Most but you, know you're anywhere around here for you, go do you?
Speaker 5: Ask?
Speaker 4: Oh, YEAH i MEAN i went out a couple of times and caught some, Musky like there's a picture out there. Somewhere caught a forty eight and a half inch. Musky so that's a pretty big. One it's a trip like that translate to what you guys want to do on the, field that you want to have their. Systems, YEAH i, mean it's just like, chemistry AND i think that it's important to like the guys that you're going to war with for the next seven. Months SO i think it helps a. Lot like you kind of.
Speaker 3: Talked about your route from when you sign that you might be able to kind of diverse them by a. LEATHER i were just seeing that kind of start.
Speaker 5: To pop up.
Speaker 3: Earlier.
Speaker 4: ABSOLUTELY i mean just just bouncing around inside, outside just running different, routes you, know stretching deep and running those under routes. INTERMEDIATE i, mean all of that's gonna come to like fruition like throughout the, season and we're all gonna have different roles because we all bring something, different you, Know, ME, Dk, Rome, jeremy all of those. Guys so we'll see how it shakes.
Speaker 2: Out Michael Pittman, junior one of the New Pittsburgh, steelers and of course a Man matt tasked with solving a problem that it seems like we've been talking about for a couple of, years and that is, uh you, know it was honestly same, church different pews when we used to talk about when it Was George pickens here BEFORE Dk metcalf kind of the the one two punch at wide receiver that The steelers have been looking for what probably since The Antonio brown juju days last.
Speaker 5: Time, Davis, yeah, real.
Speaker 2: Real you, know, deep, Stable, yes and and guys that all commanded.
Speaker 3: Attention.
Speaker 5: YEAH a couple of things he said there, though THAT i wanted to just go back. On was the.
Speaker 3: Fishing, well the fishing the musky stuff, too for.
Speaker 2: Sure all those guys love the fishing and we talk about this every. Year but, yeah the parks and the nature and the outdoor recreation in this region is.
Speaker 6: Awesome, yeah a lot of these, dudes you, know when they get, drafted like, oh BECAUSE i need to fish the rivers or the lakes around.
Speaker 5: Here blah blah.
Speaker 6: Blah good good work on the forty eight inch. Musk he's a big fan of.
Speaker 3: THAT i heard they're frying it up in the cafeteria for dinner.
Speaker 5: TONIGHT i was gonna, say, oh something mentioned just about sorry for. Cutting, no, no, NO i wouldn't talk about that.
Speaker 6: Anyways the, uh the practice we, mentioned it's probably not gonna be as physical as, banging but that doesn't mean to be slow. Tempo you, know they're gonna if they're gonna do a lot of two minute. Stuff and as he, mentioned he thinks we might be the most well conditioned team in the league when When campa, ends because we we're gonna be no standing. Around you, know there's gonna be a lot of high tempo. STUFF i think that's. Valuable you, know it's just a different way of you, know. Toughness you, know toughness doesn't necessarily mean that we ran into each other a thousand. Times it's we're still mentally strong and sharp late in the game when we've played sixty five snaps or.
Speaker 5: Whatever SO i think that's.
Speaker 6: Interesting and, again it's not the olden days where guys come to camp to get in, shape but you still can't replicate the football, stuff you, know and so maybe they won't play a lot of preseason, stuff but it is going to be high tempo and you, know cardio stuff in a football, manner in, cleats in pads against you, know other. Players really, interesting and you're, right of all the. Positions i'm still a little worried about wide receiver depth As july, enters but the top two is way better than it's been for quite a while. While and unfortunately we've seen how important it is that When pickens went out two years ago late in the, year When metcalf was suspended this past, season those other guys just aren't cutting, it you. KNOW i, mean, SO i don't know IF i told you This metcalf stat really interesting to me. Too by no means AM i saying he's the best or most dangerous wide receiver in the. League but there's a newer stat THAT nfl puts out of what's the distance between the wide receiver at the line of scrimmage and the closest Corner metcalf was first or second.
Speaker 5: Closest why would they do? That he's scary over the top six' five.
Speaker 6: Beast because there's always a safety on the other side over top of themyep, so right because they didn't fear the guy on the, OTHER side i WOULD under, I mean i'm not saying these Good As jamar chase, or whatever but It's Not jamar chase because He's, got higgins you KNOW what, I mean like it was real obvious what. Teams did they're Gonna double metcalf as much as basically any wide receiver in the league in, some way shape, or form and no Offense To calvin Austin or roman.
Speaker 5: Or whoever the other. Guys were if they, whip us so. Be it.
Speaker 3: YOU know, I mean i might make a, player too but we're gonna win that. Battle, more, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: I'm not they're not letting the leading scorer gets sixty. On me if he gets, his, twenty fine and their fourth leading scorer has a big day and hits a bunch, of threes, we lose. You know BUT now i would think the doubles ease up on Metcalf with pittman, out there and he's just a professional move the. Change receiver he's not gonna have a huge high depth. Of target he's not gonna have a, huge average, you know yards. Per catch but that's also what this. Offense is He's very Rogers And west, coast friendly especially the, big body and.
Speaker 3: He blocks he's he's. Gonna block he's going to be in the right place at the.
Speaker 2: Right time he's going to run his, routes crisply and he's we talked about versatility with the. Offensive line he's a versatile wide receiver or. CERTAINLY so i think a lot to be excited. By there saw a little bit of Him and, rogers today you know a little BIT.
Speaker 3: Of dk it felt, like.
Speaker 2: Though, And listen MATT, and, i uh we had a lot of different stuff, going on, you know we Had some the first day is always a bit of. A whirlwind you're trying to make sure everything's set up and good in the. Broadcast booth we had to do picture day and Media day MATT and i, this year.
Speaker 3: So we had a lot going on.
Speaker 2: This morning but it also looked like early on they were trying To Get roman wilson and Uh And jeremy, Bernard, involved uh because you got to see what you have in those guys obviously behind the top two, big dogs and it's a big year for that wide. Receiver group man that that group has, you know again for the for the last couple of years they've had they've had a, you know a top dog and not not a lot underneath. Of them it's it's been something that we have discussed every year here at, training camp all the way back to, you know a couple of. Years ago were they gonna Add A brandon ayuk or A Debo, Samuel.
Speaker 5: Day yeah he's a, show tomorrow, you, know right free, beer, Tomorrow right, probably good it. Didn't happen looking back, at, that.
Speaker 2: Yes might have ended up being a blessing in disguise in the. Long run but hopefully this will finally be the year where we start talking about that position group is a bit of a strength instead of a real weakness for.
Speaker 6: The, OFFENSE now i don't want to bring the, mood DOWN but i did mention it's still The position i'm most worried About depth and the, reasoning is, First off.
Speaker 5: Pittman and metcalf are both twenty nine.
Speaker 6: Years old, they're expensive and they're getting up, in age and history shows that they're entering the, back nine. YOU know, I mean i don't know that either one is going to fade Away Like larry fitzgerald into his deep into, his Thirties Or new kopkins or any of those type.
Speaker 5: OF guys i still think they're both really. Good players but.
Speaker 6: A lot of bad stuff happens between now and the end of, the season and there's gonna be twenty nine year old receivers that start to decline across.
Speaker 5: The league it's just the way the.
Speaker 6: WORLD works i really Like the, bernard pick but he's A rookie i son.
Speaker 5: KNOWING about, i mean.
Speaker 6: STUFF'S great i think he's very well worth trading up in the. Second round, four great so he can help you Beat the Ravens of week six.
Speaker 5: Or, WHATEVER though i mean it's a.
Speaker 6: Different world we haven't, seen it, YOU know I think roman and then everybody else to ME is.
Speaker 5: I, don't know.
Speaker 6: You know and this gets magnified Because the steelers were at the absolute bottom of the league in three receiver sets. LAST year i know that number is gonna go, up drastically probably not as MUCH as i thought it was gonna go up the day they. HIRED McCarthy i thought they'd be exclusively eleven personnel now After paying washington And, friar muth that those guys will be out there quite.
Speaker 5: A bit but.
Speaker 6: It's not gonna be thirteen personnel With just metcalf. Out there you know you're gonna need more snaps from, wide Receivers and Bernard and pittman are. Very capable, but again if you lose one, of Them or bernard doesn't, work Out or wilson doesn't make, the team, you know like you could be a little lacking there would.
Speaker 5: League's, rough yeah that's.
Speaker 6: My point rookies and twenty nine year olds, are good but they aren't.
Speaker 5: Sure bets, you know it's.
Speaker 2: A young, man's, game right but that doesn't necessarily mean a. Rookies game there's a middle ground there that you're kind of.
Speaker 3: Looking, for certainly certainly.
Speaker 2: Could, be, hopefully though this will be a year that we start seeing that wide receiver room move in the direction that we've been waiting for for the last.
Speaker 3: Few, years HONESTLY.
Speaker 5: And i think. IT has, i mean clearly the room is there was a priority and needed.
Speaker 2: To be like it much more now than you did a, year, ago though that is. For sure let's go around the league a, little bit discuss some of the other moving and shaking across some other THIRTY one nfl training camps. Getting underway there's been some, contract extensions there's been some some. Injury, scares, Yeah already we'll get to all that when we return on to the.
Speaker 3: Other side You. Learn williamson It's The Drive Steelers nation radio On The Steelers.
Speaker 5: Audio network.
Speaker 1: These live covering dropped twenty Twenty Six Steelers training camp Or The Steelers, audio network presented By, Bud light easy, to drink easy, to enjoy and brought to you in Part by Pennsylvania One Call systems dial eight one One before YOU Dig Snt Bank People forward Banking By, kalusy chevrolet Serving the pittsburgh area for over one hundred and. Eight Years Clearview Federal. Credit union for every Touchdown the Black And gold score in twenty, Twenty six clearview will donate five hundred dollars To the Light Of. Life MISSION visit clearviewfcu dot org and By Iron Workers Local union. Number three we don't go to, The office we build it.
Speaker 3: Back in.
Speaker 2: The booth we are about halfway home on this three hour Edition Of, the drive first of many beefy shows coming at, you here, of course from the Campus Of Saint vincent College At. Chucknoll field as we are just kind of dipping our toes into the water of this twenty twenty six. Training camp, With, that matt there's some around the league stuff that needs.
Speaker 6: A ton that happened since we got the other mone right it did is like, extension season and of course there's some, injuries already which makes you forget how unforgiving this. League is that's why it's kind OF why i brought up the rookies in twenty nine, year olds like most stuff's gonna happen bad from. Now, ON yeah i know, everyone's optimistic but, it's.
Speaker 5: Rough.
Speaker 2: Man there there certainly have been SOME injuries i think that we should touch. On now matt gave it this Disclaimer, on Monday and i'm glad, he did and it will probably repeat it a couple times throughout the course of. Training camp but because someone is, carreded off pretty much everyone is carded off with injuries because they're out on the field and they don't want them walking hundreds of yards back to the locker room if they might. Be injured and a lot, of times especially Here At Saint, vincent college you're going, up hills.
Speaker 5: That hill with a, bad ankle, right yeah oh you think.
Speaker 3: You might have got a high. Ankle sprain why don't you go walk three hundre? Yards uphill?
Speaker 2: Not Smart but Matt The Cincinnati Bengals shimer stewart was carted off with a left leg. Injury today he of course there last year's so twenty twenty five first overall pick with a left, leg injury and the video didn't. Look Great his it's one of those where the knee bends the way that it's not supposed, to bend, You know and for that, to happen, you know on the first day of camp when it's obviously We know cincinnati, that defense they need all hands on deck and they need something out.
Speaker 3: Of him it's not a great start For.
Speaker 5: The Bengals so i'll just talk about the player.
Speaker 6: Real Quick, is again he was a rookie, last year so his combine his testing.
Speaker 5: Over a year ago was out of.
Speaker 6: THIS world, i mean he is a big body defensive End that cincinnati has coveted up until.
Speaker 5: This year.
Speaker 6: They drafted howe IS another A and m guy this year in the second round who's a very undersized, speed ball much better production than what he looks like walking in. The room stuart is, body beautiful, testing beautiful and to, be kind was a project coming out.
Speaker 3: Of school it was still the twelfth.
Speaker 6: Overall, pick YES and, I thought i'm just. BEING honest i thought he was horrendous as. A rookie i mean really really bad run, recognition stuff really. Really bad just people wuld run right, by him didn't, se it, you know didn't know what gap, to fill didn't steel polars.
Speaker 5: Coming, at him things of.
Speaker 6: That nature watching him rush the pass or It was i'm gonna go a thousand miles an hour off, the snap AND if i don't beat, HIM immediately i got nothing ELSE and i don't know what. To do and he's Not von miller off the, Snap Either he's he's two hundred and seventy, five pounds so.
Speaker 5: They he really needed to take a step forward to.
Speaker 6: Make that even to, Be honest i'm not saying this Because the bengals of the thirty two first round picks, last year he was the worst one for where he got picked, for sure and maybe the worst.
Speaker 5: One overall like, You, said mad you could you could add any of these Eyes, Of steelers i'd, BE like i don't. Want to he's my.
Speaker 6: Last choice and they don't have a good history of developing those. Players either so he was already very disappointing a year into, this thing as we've talked about With like kent to start, the show who was a seventh. Round pick guys that start, their seasons, you know, like disappointing slash injured over your first.
Speaker 5: Two years year three doesn't usually go.
Speaker 6: So great AND as, i mentioned they drafted how and he can't wait around for, these guys, you know he.
Speaker 3: Just can't it's a, moving, Train, right yeah that we always.
Speaker 6: HEAR about, i mean he had to play noticeably better to even be a starter.
Speaker 5: This, year yeah, you know let alone be a first, round pick a.
Speaker 2: Guy who was just a first round pick what fourteen? Months ago fifteen. Months ago it's. It's worrisome happens quick in. This league it does according to unfairly to some. No DOUBT and i know this is something that YOU and i, you know kind of have spent time talking about in, the past and particularly during the off season when we're kind of stretching, some content but especially in this league where there's no minor.
Speaker 5: League, system no you don't just call it. The goalie, You.
Speaker 2: Know baseball has a massive minor. League system hockey has a minor. League SYSTEM the nba HAS The g league OR The d league or whatever they.
Speaker 6: Call it now you've been grow him in a goalie or a shortstop, or whatever and it's, his time so let's call.
Speaker 5: Him up.
Speaker 3: Yeah right that not the case In The National.
Speaker 2: Football League matt bumber news out of Out, of, carolina where ACCORDING, To espn panthers rookie Wide Receiver chris brazzle the second, of course out. OF ten i haven't SUFFERED an lcl, tear today lateral lateral collateral ligament tear in his. Left knee i've heard the A c l IN the i did not know ABOUT, the PCL and i did not know about the L. C l but it came on a non, contact play according to a, league source and he's expected to be sidelined for about, eight weeks about.
Speaker 6: Two months, They again i'm not on top of all the latest, injury news and this time of year you can overreact to some.
Speaker 5: Of, it ABSOLUTELY but.
Speaker 6: I mean that one's confirmed whatever. Cl there you, KNOW what I think carolina has been like the most unlucky team in the league. So far scorting got hurt the very first practice after a really promising rookie year at, defensive END and i thought he was a. Breakout Candidate, the moten their foundational, left tackle has blood, cloth issues and that could signlied you for an, entire.
Speaker 5: Year didn't wemby missed the entire season.
Speaker 3: FOR blood i don't know about a, whole season but.
Speaker 2: He had it could be a long time because you got to go on blood thinners and then there's all kinds of, additions RISKS and i know you can't get.
Speaker 3: Cut or, any.
Speaker 6: Yeah exactly and they had tackle, issues Anyways because ikwanu was an early pick who has been up and down and then suffered a very serious injury late. Last year so they drive what's his face Out of georgia in the first round At Tackle, monroe Freeling, thinking moten we can Count, on freeling will, you know hold down the Ford for icky and then you know you're to tackle need and you'll lose your best tackle after the draft because of the blood. Cloth thing and Now, THIS now i Don't Think chris brasel is a, super prospect but he's, really tall, really fast and that's all they want him to Do because coker is Gonna be coker's a really good. Number two no one Talks, about coker but he's a really good, number two a diamond in the rough they found out. Of nowhere tet is clearly gonna be the. Number one and both those guys have really good, Size too so they're building a basketball. Team there but they really needed to take the, top OFF sacrificial x pull guys out of the box type, of dude and that's Exactly what brasel could do. This minute tet's a guy that lined up a lot outside the numbers way. Too much they've already said he's gonna play way more in. The slot we're gonna move, him around he's gonna be the focal point of the Offense because braswell can do some of. Those, things now all of, a sudden again the best laid Plans of omar and these gms. And stuff, IT'S like i understand exactly what their thought process was By drafting Freely and mage if, they hadn't and Then drafting brasle because that's a type of receiver. They need but then you have to pivot when there's no draft or free agency left because all, my PLANS all i need to do is run fast on.
Speaker 5: The sidelines why can't do that for, eight? Weeks coach why don't know any we else could do?
Speaker 2: It right and then maybe after, eight weeks maybe it still is a couple more weeks before you really get all your.
Speaker 6: Wheels back And, as tomlino as, you said getting on a, moving train especially.
Speaker 2: As, a rookie escially as, a rookie, so brutal especially a, wide receiver because your quarterback doesn't trust you to run the right routes. And things yet then It's almost halloween and you still haven't really, established yourself and it feels like it's starting to.
Speaker 3: Slip away exactly more Unfortunate.
Speaker 2: News matt According To ian Rappaport And mike garofolo OF the espn AND The, Nfl Network Saints brian bresa feared who have TORN his Acl rich man a guy Who was.
Speaker 5: They don't usually say. Those things if it's up in, the air.
Speaker 2: Exactly right he will undergo, further testing but it's believed he has TORN his acl and would miss the entire twenty twenty. Six season he was a first round pick in twenty, twenty three and it's only twenty four years old and had really started to carve out, a nice nice career for himself on the interior Of That new orleans.
Speaker 3: Defensive line is twenty three the Year the Steelers.
Speaker 6: Took, RODERICK no i think it's a YEAR app i should. Know that but Who's a steelers first round pick in twenty? TWENTY three i think It. Was, broderick okay probably wouldn't. Have, Been yeah so our listeners from back then probably remember.
Speaker 3: We talked a Lot of Brian yes DALE.
Speaker 6: And i did so many mock drafts back then and often ended Up with breze For. The steelers it's kind of a big three to four type end Learn. From cam it was liked them. A lot That wasn't roderick like we wouldn't have traded up, for bresee but we like them a lot as a later first round pick type.
Speaker 5: Of guy.
Speaker 6: They They've taken benton in, that draft so there was a need for that position. To groom he hasn't quite lived up. To it he's been okay For, the saints plays kind. Of high not as powerful as you as your thought coming out, of school but an. Okay player but they don't have a lot there at that. POSITION either, i, mean again you lose a first round pick that you're pretty. Invested in there's not ways to there's not great ways to pivot at this time of the season to make up.
Speaker 3: For, it no there's there's certainly.
Speaker 2: Certainly not AND then i guess kind of finally here across the timeline on the on the, injury front Is uh tua is Out in atlanta with a flare up of an. Undisclosed injury According To, kevin Stefanski the falcons did not reveal the nature of toa, his injury but Sources Told adam schefter that he's dealing with a. Tight back, with That the falcons Are Signing cooper rush to uh because Because Remember Michael pennox junior is is still out.
Speaker 6: As well THAT'S why i wasn't Sure is, Pennix practiced so.
Speaker 2: All of, a sudden that kind of, you know, two projects, two dogs, one bone And the falcons, quarterback room you're hoping one of those guys can, you know can step up and win. The job both of those guys now are gonna be sidelined for a, little bit and Here Comes.
Speaker 6: Cooper rush tua has an extensive injury history and doesn't protect themselves. Particularly well isn't, Particularly big it's had hips and things going Back. To, alabama pennix as, you mentioned is coming off a. Major INJURY but i kind of like. THEIR strategy, i mean they're they're eating. Their vegetables this here as. A franchise, you know they did not, spend Much but tua. Wasn't expensive maybe you can catch lightning the bottle with one of. These TWO but i, assume right maybe there's another name in, the mix But his rush running with the ones the second he. Got hot there must be somebody else. IN camp i don't know who, it is but it's not ANYBODY that i brand named the GUY that. I, know again that makes things, Tough too.
Speaker 3: Like how do you evaluate? Anybody else that's.
Speaker 5: The thing HOW do I Evaluate.
Speaker 3: Jack strand is the? Other?
Speaker 6: Quarterback wow so They Have jack Strand And, cooper Rush who i'm shocked is still.
Speaker 5: OUT there i think he's a legit on.
Speaker 6: A roster, YEAH yeah i mean he's a blow, average backup but he's. Got, there TODAY and, I say i don't you Know Who jack?
Speaker 5: Strand? Is right so that's what. YOU have i, mean.
Speaker 6: Again it just really slows the evaluation process of everybody, on offense and all of a sudden you start thinking your defense is better than it Is Because jack strand is throwing picks left.
Speaker 2: And right he's an undrafted free agent Quarterback From. Minnesota, morehead, whoa, OKAY yeah i.
Speaker 3: Watched a lot of.
Speaker 4: Air.
Speaker 5: GAMES yeah i kind of have.
Speaker 6: A detailed breakdown On The minnesota morehead. Signal, caller oh by, the way remember Who the feelers opponent Is in, week One The.
Speaker 3: Atlanta, Falcons yep i'm glad you said that because THAT'S where i.
Speaker 5: Was going hitting behind the.
Speaker 2: Eight ball one man gathers what another. Man, spills yeah the grateful who said that last piece of NEWS that i wanted to run past, You here matt and kind of we'll do this every day like a news stuff AROUND the. Nfl segment we're going to before people start tweeting us. ABOUT it i promise you we're gonna start doing fantasy football segments, here again a. Real suit we have to get those. Tweets in we'll actually do that to start the. BONUS hour i think here most days we'll hit. The Tweets, but matt it sounds like two star running backs that YOU and i have discussed are up for. Contract extensions, Of Course bjon robinson Of Those atlanta falcons we were just, talking About and, Sonic Himself jamiir Gibbs, the lions both holding in as they seek. New contracts they were at practice but not participating in team portion.
Speaker 6: Stuff, today okay this could be sort of similar to Like The portre. GONZALEZ stuff, i mean both these guys were first round picks the exact same season the fantasy world are going one and two or two, and one, you know and every pretty much. Every draft both, of course they're fifty year options were, picked up but they're in prime striking distance for getting a contract because they're really. Really important they're at the height of. Their POWERS and i, Mentioned before i'm such. A nerd i've Already started matt's Stats. In, atlanta Man the bijon accomplishments through three seasons are really as good as like any running back that's ever lived in the first three years of.
Speaker 5: The league.
Speaker 6: He's Unbelievable and gibbs playing all those games, on turf and with what's around them, super important they're gonna get their, money absolutely and maybe the ones just waiting for the Other SIGN and i went ten, percent more, you.
Speaker 5: Know buckmore you know who?
Speaker 2: Blinks, first, Right right let's talk some. More contracts let's talk A Little Joey, porter junior a couple other.
Speaker 3: Of those, you know.
Speaker 5: Another, corner, fell yeah another another.
Speaker 3: Corner came off.
Speaker 2: The board let's let's take a look at some some contractual stuff both here and around. The league as we closed down our. Number two when, We return Eu'ller and williamsonnet's all happening Here At Chuck Nolefield Saint vincent College In, Beautiful, latrobe pennsylvania as part Of The steelers our ongoing coverage Of the steelers twenty twenty six training camp Here On Steelers nation radio On The Steelers.
Speaker 3: Audio network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty Twenty six Steelers training camp On The Steelers, audio network presented By, Bud light Easy, To drink Easy, to enjoy and brought to you in Part By Pennsylvania One Call systems dial eight one One before YOU Dig Snt Bank People forward Banking By kalusy chevrolet Serving the pittsburgh area for over one hundred and. Eight Years Clearview Federal credit union for every Touchdown the Black and. Gold score in twenty, Twenty six clearview will donate five hundred dollars To the Light Of. Life MISSION visit clearviewfcu dot org and By Iron Workers local union. Number three we don't.
Speaker 5: Go to, The office we. Build it.
Speaker 2: A lot of moving and shaking this time of year with. Contract situations obviously we've got one.
Speaker 3: Of, THEM well i, Should, say matt a few of, our OWN because, i, THINK yeah i think that.
Speaker 2: Everyone rightfully So The joey porter junior situation is at. The Forefront But keanu benton also deserves to be mentioned in that conversation. As well it is, kind of, you know not we are not at the eleventh hour yet by, any means but we're getting closer to the eleventh hour for a lot of. These, TEAMS now i should, say too there are obviously teams IN the nfl that will negotiate with players throughout the season and things. Like that as we know that that is not the way That the steelers like to. Do Business the steelers aren't the only ones in, that regard there are plenty of teams that won't, you know once they Get to september and the games start playing or done with.
Speaker 3: Contract stuff some.
Speaker 2: Will do that throughout the course of, the year but obviously some big ones, to discuss and also some recent you know deals that have been, handed out namely By The.
Speaker 3: Cleveland, browns yeah IN, the afc they've.
Speaker 2: Been busy As, yesterday Tuesday Cornerback denzel ward signed a, two year sixty two point two million, dollar extension making him the highest paid defensive BACK in.
Speaker 3: Nfl history.
Speaker 6: PRETTY crazy, i mean so we've talked a lot, about numbers and there was two guys over thirty, per year McDuffie, and sauce just a, you know av y. Or whatever and it's Rumored that gonzalez is gonna Beat those ward is everybody as good as, those players give.
Speaker 5: Or take but he's up.
Speaker 6: IN age, i mean he was drafted the same Year As, baker mayfield, you know as an, early pick and he's, been really. Really good i'm shocked that he got quite that much, BECAUSE frankly I think porter might be worth More.
Speaker 5: Than ward he's.
Speaker 6: Considering age it's only a two. Year, deal, YEAH obviously i mean, his age that adds up to at.
Speaker 3: His age that. Makes sense but that is a heck of a Payday For.
Speaker 2: Denzel ward and he's, been good he's he is a, very good very good player. For them, but yeah that's probably his last chance to get a to get a big payday with, his age and he certainly. Got one they'll average a little over thirty one million dollars per year on.
Speaker 3: That deal and the real.
Speaker 6: Quick on ward is when They Traded, MILES garrett i thought he might, be next, you know because he's about. That age he would draw a lot, in return maybe even a first. ROUND pick i don't think he'd Got what sauce died as on the, corner market or certainly Not What miles, garrett got but if, it, was hey we're living to fight, ANOTHER day i thought he could be the other piece that they would move to really load up.
Speaker 5: On picks apparently not apparently, not, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, AS hey i know they obviously want to keep some semblance of that, defense together.
Speaker 5: But sure and it's could be. QUITE good i mean if you Swap out Ward.
Speaker 3: For, verse, yes yes, of course.
Speaker 5: Or Right not Ward for.
Speaker 2: Garrett for, first yes and Then Today Matt the browns giving a three year extent To safety grant delpit worth forty, eight million thirty five million of a guaranteed that's sixteen million per keeps him under contract through the twenty twenty.
Speaker 6: Nine season i'm super dialed in with, safety contracts but he's got to be top ten ish or so with.
Speaker 5: That deal really. Good player he's.
Speaker 6: Somebody that we don't bring, up enough Even like brown's week whenever we're. Previewing them he is, absolutely instrumental at least in the old Scheme. UNDER schwartz i don't think they're changing their scheme all, that much but he's more of a near the line of. Scrimmage player he can do some of the big. Slot stuff he plays the, run well he can play man against, tight ends he can. Play deep it was easy to forget about him when you look about their over the great defenses during, this era but he's their third or fourth most important guy Even when Garrett and ward were, you Know when.
Speaker 5: Garrett was, Out there so that adds.
Speaker 6: Up again he's A little i assume he's twenty eight something.
Speaker 5: LIKE that, I mean i'm in. That neighborhood he was on.
Speaker 3: THAT same lsu Team With.
Speaker 2: Joe, burrow yeah it's JUST so i would think writing about that neighborhood.
Speaker 5: And not showing any signs of. Slowing down Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Not matt by my quick, research here it looks like. HE'S now i think about the seventh highest paid safety IN, The Nfl derwin James And kyle hamilton the clear cut one. And Two Then kirby joseph From, The Lions antoine widenfield junior, Right There buddha baker. Right there but then you start getting down into the seventeen sixteen range there with Like the Trayvon mow riggs And the xavier McKennis and those type.
Speaker 5: Of, guys, yeah yeah that's, Not, crazy no it's.
Speaker 2: Definitely not And then Matt Obviously, joey porter The Big Joey, porter junior the big. One here but there's, also some, you know several high profile players that are currently eligible. For extensions one, of THEM and i know we've discussed him a, little BIT BUT. C, J stroud i'm still interested to see how that all. Plays out we know they picked up his fifth, year option so that does buy them. Some TIME but i think it's the classic do we want to make them sing for. His, supper yeah and it might end up costing us a little, bit more but we want him to prove it that he can get back to being that guy we saw his, rookie season or do we have faith in him that he is still, that guy and maybe we could get him at a little bit of a discount.
Speaker 5: Right, now yeah that's a little bit of a. Tough one at least they have the fifth.
Speaker 6: Year option Same With, bryce young who's from the same, draft class both of which were picked up the fifth. YEAR options i Greatly prefer Stroud. TO young i Think what stroud did in the playoffs was a kind of a blip on, the radar and his season was a lot better than people tend to. REMEMBER too i mean also to pay attention to the defenses. He, played again he was terrible in, the playoffs don't get, me wrong Including the, steeler game but the defenses he played were. Pretty ruthless he. And Them nico collins didn't.
Speaker 5: Have a, running game and he's flat out try to do. TOO much.
Speaker 6: I don't Know what houston's policy is of negotiating during. THE season i don't know all thirty. TWO policies i Know. The STEELERS but i was in, there thinking is what if he Was a steeler, HE'S won i would consider that with, you know like if you get to week eight and you're six and two and he's doing all the things, you want let's not, you know let's just show, a thing a.
Speaker 5: GOOD thing, I mean.
Speaker 6: I wish dale was sitting here because he didn't for a lot. Of reasons but he's.
Speaker 3: Much better THAN.
Speaker 6: THIS wesa i Think the steelers did something Similar with ben where they Might have there might be a policy With the steelers that we do. Not negotiate this went back to the eighties and there's a whole story of why they don't and it all. Adds up but they might do it. With quarterbacks they may have done it with. STAR quarterbacks i mean Not, with duck.
Speaker 5: YOU know i, mean LIKE but i think something missing. Poor, guy yeah he's always the.
Speaker 6: Easy ONE but i think they may have done Something with ben in his heyday, mid season and, to me that might be the Move with stroud if that's part of. Their policy I'M not i might be making that Up. ABOUT ben i vaguely, remember it BUT maybe i was like pursued it and ye, or somebody but, OH no I doubt stroud. GOES anywhere i don't know what his contract will. Look like it'd be a tough negotiation, right Now but i'm.
Speaker 2: A believer i would uh lean on the side of he swims and.
Speaker 3: Doesn't sink Yeah Where? BRYCE young i, Don't Know.
Speaker 5: BRYCE young i think they.
Speaker 6: Could be they could be one of the teams With the steelers in that do They want sellers or arch or, you know one of those type, of DEALS because i have a hard time extending him for what he's going to ask. For too he's not going to get.
Speaker 2: Backup, Money, No matt we've we've talked a little bit obviously About The christian gonzales Situation In.
Speaker 3: New England on, monday's show.
Speaker 2: We talked About How robert kraft made some comments that they have offered him a contract that would make him the highest paid cornerback in the history of. THE league i wonder if that's still the case with The The denz award that we just. SAW yesterday i feel like Maybe The devon witherspoon conversations of flying a little under, the radar maybe not across, the league but just here with us because we're Focused On Joey, porter junior and there's been more News Around, christian Gonzales but wetherspoon's going to be right, there too looking for.
Speaker 6: Top, DOLLARS yeah, i mean so a Big reason seattle had to Let Like kenneth walker and some of their other, you know guys From The super bowl, walk is which is a good problem, to have is They drafted witherspoon And Then jackson Smith and jigba in the first round and now it's, their turn and you can't let the, one walk, You know and you had to Start with. Jasn exactly you had to START with jsn After Being offensive player Of. THE year, i mean he's in really being the only show in town in their pass. Catcher Room but witherspoon's not far behind in terms of value To The super. Bowl champs and a couple of, years ago a true slot tough guy would.
Speaker 5: Not be valued like it, is now.
Speaker 6: YOU know, I mean i can't harp on it enough that these guys Like the Jeanne and Petrie and branch and on on on are becoming stars and are all gonna get really, well compensated and he's in. That mix he's a really really good player.
Speaker 5: And he's gonna be.
Speaker 6: Really expensive what Him and joey do are. VERY different i mean they're both. Defensive backs they both walk in the, corner Room and witherspoon absolutely can, play outside but he you Don't want porter do in the. SLOT stuff, I mean porter's an, old school outside, the numbers long press, man guy which is what they really gonna, go for Along with Dean, and everett the guys they. Brought IN but i don't know that one Will influence, who KNOWS but i don't know that that one Will influence joey's contract nearly as Much.
Speaker 5: As ward And.
Speaker 6: Especially gonzales, You know gonzalez is pretty similar in style and usage age and, you know.
Speaker 2: Right square peg and, round, peg, right, Yeah yeah matt one of the more difficult ones to discuss here in. CONTRACTUAL circles i Think It's, puka Nakua the rams, wide receiver because.
Speaker 5: Are they waiting just to make sure he's a.
Speaker 2: Good, boy maybe but, you know he obviously he was a fifth, round pick so he doesn't have a fifth. Year option he's heading into the. Last year he's heading into the last year of. His contract he has over four thy one hundred receiving yards in HIS three. Nfl seasons every one of his stats. Is Insane Only jamar chase. Has, more yeah and those are his first three years in.
Speaker 3: The League For, puka nakua.
Speaker 5: Things like yards per route run. Or bonkers for, this guy.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable but as, you've mentioned there's been some off the, field stuff both the incident where he's, being sued you know about biting a couple, of women Then A new YEAR'S party i think, it was and then he, you know checked himself into rehab for some.
Speaker 3: Alcohol issues so that's just a that's.
Speaker 2: An interesting ONE because i think it is it is so easy, to, say yeah you can't let that guy go, pay him but if there are some concerns there and you're gonna have to PAY him jsn type forty two million dollars.
Speaker 6: A year that's what you come to at at. The table that's the, starting point. Right right and so that's just that one's a. Little sticky that one's a little sticky Because the rams are the face to Win The super bowl, this year but they really don't have a lot at the wide, receiver position especially if this is guaranteed To Be DeVante adams, last year which it's. AWFULLY close i think he's thirty five years old and was kind of a part, time player especially when they went to all the thirteen personnel that they. Were Using but pooka has to be a foundational dude for the next.
Speaker 5: FIVE years, i.
Speaker 6: Mean who would be more friendly other Than Maybe jamar Chase And justin jefferson for the next quarterback who we already know who?
Speaker 5: That is.
Speaker 6: Let Alone does stafford want to come back If the Coup and adams are? Both gone, you know like if you do want to try to run.
Speaker 5: IT back, i mean so he's got a lot of, power here but he did a lot.
Speaker 6: Of dumb, stuff too, you know like if you had just been cleaning, THIS offseason i bet He's got smith And the jigma's contract.
Speaker 3: Right right, right right a million, dollar contract.
Speaker 6: Huge guarantee and. It's done But if, I'm them i'm waiting a. LITTLE bit i he can't let him at. The market you know what he make in the, Open market you.
Speaker 2: Can't let him hit. The MARKET but i also would on franchise and. You, could yeah that's that's a. Good call that's a. Good call that's just that one's interesting because just the, player alone, you're, like yeah we're not letting that guy, go anywhere but.
Speaker 5: No chance it's not quite. That, simple however what's a.
Speaker 6: Little different between HIM and jsn is the fifth year options you mentioned and a first. Rounders contract we talked about this, a Lot Like jalen warrens the guy always bring up like THAT'S why.
Speaker 5: I want to.
Speaker 6: Expend money they gave no MONEY by, nfl standards There's not puka doesn't have a ton in, the BANK although i guess he has ads and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Now, too enough it's still AT least jsn was a first.
Speaker 3: Round pick that's a.
Speaker 5: Fifth, round contractually he made a lot More. Than, puka, yes, Yeah yes.
Speaker 2: And speaking of, Big, CONTRACTS matt i forgot to bring this, up EARLIER but i wanted to just get your thoughts on it here before we get to our. Bonus hour and that is another name that we had talked about throughout this offseason as a potential, contract extension Defensive Tackle jalen carter Of The, philadelphia eagles and he got locked up a few days ago, four years one hundred and fifty, two million with a potential incentives to get up to one hundred and, sixty million including one hundred and six, million guaranteed highest paid defensive TACKLE in. Nfl history the tackles will making a lot of.
Speaker 6: Money now they sure are Started with simmons and now they're all getting big.
Speaker 3: Time money that contract may be.
Speaker 2: A risk i think it is a risk when you consider some of his off the field stuff and some of the health stuff with. His SHOULDERS but i feel like it's a risk That the eagles had to take.
Speaker 5: As, well yeah and they know him better.
Speaker 6: Than anyone it makes me think that they like him as a human being and some of the immaturity things are. Past them the, shoulder stuff they would obviously be totally on. Top of they must think he's gonna be fine because he played really compromised last year and you could just tell he was not the. Same player but he could be A, defensive mvp like he's.
Speaker 2: THAT good i don't know if he Can Be aaron donald because there's very, few people but he Can Be aaron donald.
Speaker 6: LIKE yeah i mean like he can lead the league in sacks at, defense tackle which, is rare and, you know be a. Major force what's kind of interesting this h of dawned. On me With the eagles is a lot of People Like jordan davis's Buddy, from georgia who's also a first round pick the, year before they extended him this offseason in, the summer so a lot of, people thought, you.
Speaker 5: Know they're Gonna.
Speaker 6: Trade carter you can't play you can't pay two guys at the, same position top of the. Market money this team.
Speaker 5: Doesn't.
Speaker 6: Care though they did it With aj Brown And. Devonte smith they did It With lane Johnson And. JORDAN mylotta i bet they do It with Mitchell and dejen, you know like sometimes they just attack positions and they're also, premium positions. You Know but eagles know what they're doing and they'll make. Anything happen oh they.
Speaker 3: Sure, will yeah they.
Speaker 2: Are aggressive, they are and they've had a lot of success. Doing so and if they're going to continue to, have success you would Think That jalen carter is going to be a huge part.
Speaker 5: Of.
Speaker 2: That certainly there is the show two hours in. The, Books no i'm. Just kidding we have a bonus hour up on the. Other side we're gonna hit. The tweets you know where to get at us if you want to. Get involved we will also hear a little bit more From some steelers now that today's first practice is in. The books two, hours down bonus hour to go as We, Return west Schuler And matt williamson closing down the final day or part of me the final hour of our first day coverage Here On Steelers nation radio On The Steelers audio network