Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to Season to eighty seven, episode one of Jack Dan's Guys Day production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's shared consciousness. It's Monday, May fifteenth, twenty twenty three, which of course means halfway through May.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's also International kangaroot Care Awareness Day, which is basically a fana skin skin skinned to skin baby. You know, as a new parent love that gotta have that skin to skin comics more, you know what I mean? Yeah, that's but I guess they have to make up a fun name.
Speaker 1: So people like kangaroot.
Speaker 2: Care, International Day of Families, National Nylon Stocking Day, what is the sixties? National Chocolate Chip Day? And Peace Officers Memorial Day. Okay, that's that's gotta be moving along.
Speaker 3: My name is Jack O'Brien aka Jack O'Brien, Jack O'Brien, Jack o brien, Jack O'Brien, Jack O'Brien, Jack O'Brien, Jack O'Brien, Jack O'Brien. Jack O'Brien's got plumb bas tize.
Speaker 1: That is courtesy of joke Ah mail Man to Elton John's Saturday and I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles Gray.
Speaker 2: Yes, mister Miles Grace, just back from the big city, New York.
Speaker 1: Fantastic.
Speaker 2: I had Thompson's English muffin just like a New Yorker would, authentic.
Speaker 1: You had in New York. Yeah, got New York just like all the New Yorkers.
Speaker 2: And I had it with some butter and honey, you know that New York breakfast. Also shout out doctor John Paul Higgins. We were kicking in New York for the first time. They were in New York for the very first time, and I was so jealous that they were experiencing New York City for the first time, like to adult eyes, and their eyes were like, I'm.
Speaker 1: Trying to get a chop cheese, I want to bagels. Fuck. I love this energy. But anyway, shout out to the City of New York. Sometimes you take it by that big apple, Miles, sometimes by that.
Speaker 2: Yeah or sometimes yeah, or you walk by one of those freakys NYPD surveillance fucking camera range picture that you took was a while times square, man, you know, love it.
Speaker 1: Love it over there. That thing looks like it's got like five different cameras installed on top of five different camerases. Yeah, cameras on cameras on camera. I haven't been.
Speaker 2: I haven't been to Times Square in years because just as a matter, I just avoided at all costs, usually when I'm in New York. Yeah, and having to like traverse Time Square to get to certain places I had to be. It was wild just to see now how it's like half there's like people making tiktoks. There's like publicity photo shoots happening with like people in suits with like the fucking all like all the lights behind them. There were people in costumes like fighting over who was gonna get the money for taking the picture with like a family that was visiting from Europe.
Speaker 1: And then you know kids just getting sturdy dancing. You know. It was really yeah. Oh and then also people obviously selling me weed trying to sell me weaed in Times Square. Yeah. Times Square got cooler since the last time I was there. Well, it's like a good venue.
Speaker 2: I realized for like it seems like for kids that it's a great backdrop to shoot your tiktoks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, because it's all very it's all very busy stuff. Yeah, I guess I was there pre TikTok oh Jack. You must just people waiting for tickets for Broadway basically, and then yeah, just tourists walking around with their mouths open, look at all the bright lights.
Speaker 2: It is wild how how quickly it is for to see the difference between New Yorkers and non New Yorkers, just by where your attention is when you walk. Yeah, like New Yorker's like, I got my headphones, I'm trying to fucking get where i need to go. Then you have tourists like with their phone like right up on their face, or just like not looking ahead and just in aweful the buildings.
Speaker 1: It's a wonderful site. It's a wonderful side. Well, Miles, we are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a Professor, podcast creator, the co host of the show Invisible Hate. It's a sod bar.
Speaker 4: That was a great introduction, one of the best I've ever had.
Speaker 2: Oh come on, now, come on now, gotta show respect to Professor as I'm doing well, you know, I.
Speaker 4: Feel like you missed a little bit about your New York experience. There's always someone urinating in the corner out there, in time.
Speaker 1: Squen, you know I missed.
Speaker 2: I think I think the NYPD is doing a good job of brutalizing people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so out to them. It might be the new home of public urination, because I'm seeing a lot of a lot of public urination these days.
Speaker 4: We've always been here in Portland too, you always had that.
Speaker 1: You know, the weather's nice, you know, the PEPs everywhere, go outside for a pp.
Speaker 4: We have a We have a lot of dog poop everywhere here in Portland. People don't don't seem to pick up after their dogs.
Speaker 1: We have that in l A too.
Speaker 2: It's kind of I'm also I see it on the concrete and I'm like, what the fuck? Like, I don't know why I'm getting angry, get the dog. I'm like, you're just comfortable shipping on the concrete right next to the serviceable patch of grass or dirt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I'm like put myself in the perspective of the dog and like that's like and that's.
Speaker 1: A bridge too far from me. Yeah. My dogs would only go when we lived in New York. They would only go as we were crossing the street. I think it just as a like just as a test of my metal there they just that as I got more, like the moment that I would want them to take a ship the least is when they decided to take a ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the red hand is blinking and in the now three two, here we go. So wait, what did you do? Did you like in a panic like try and clean it up? Or oh yeah, I was like catching it with the bag like wow, and the like waving waving to the cars.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry, you know, Oh no, I know that's a very high stress event for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't like to fuck anyone's day up. I'm getting secondhand stressed from that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. All right, we're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're gonna tell our listeners a couple of the things we're talking about today. Diane Feinstein is back and I don't know, man, it's like pretty pretty dark. It's grim ridiculous. I think grim is the is the appropriate word. New Twitter ceo just dropped and it's a woman. Elon Musk's fans are not happy about that fact. So we'll talk about just it should have been Rick or Morty. Your only options. Yeah, is it Rick or fucking Morty. Don't talk to me, Doug, don't worry. She's a fucking capitalist. Fine, she's fine. You guys are gonna be fine. Also, there might be a dating app situation happening on Twitter. What he's trying it all? You know, AMC theaters are trying it all. They're they're gonna make their own candy. It looks what I don't know. That just pissed me off that you said that, Like, huh, yeah, it's weird. What cost cutting? Yeah, cost cutting. They claim that there's a like I have noticed at AMC theaters that like someday some days they just like won't have any candy, Like they won't have half of the things will be gone. Yeah, yeah, I'm still gone. Especially when I'm real sick and just talking up, I'll just show up and just you know, I like to go to a midnight Thursday showing when it something about being around other people helps me feel oh yeah, but something about being here, you know, feel better in a place like this, thank you, Nicole. Better. But yeah, like they they don't half the time. I'm a I'm a sour patch kids, I'm a sour patch kid and a lot of times they want to teach it. So anyways, they're gonna try and deal with some of their supply chain issues by making their own candy, which feels I don't know, like there's gotta be a reason that that all these companies like they we've had the same candy for centuries. Yeah, you're not gonna use surpe piece. I'm poul thought of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they're like, oh, if you love Reese's Pieces, you're gonna love Rosses, Posty's.
Speaker 4: Didn't AMC go into the gold business recently? Or are mining business like a year or two ago, like they were just trying everything.
Speaker 1: I feel like, are they WHOA, Really that's wild mining. Okay, so we'll talk about that. Well, we might talk about Disney losing millions of subscribers due to wokeness, but that is the way the headlines are portraying it. It's actually because of cricket. We'll explain all of that plenty more, But first, ASAB, we like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean I was sticking on the dog and baby theme, something that I searched in my late night trying to get my baby to sleep, was is it okay to love your dog more than your child? And surprisingly, something like thirty three percent of people love their dogs more than their children, which I thought was pretty pretty funny. How do you guys feel?
Speaker 2: I love my sadly my dog has become down in steerage class of the Titanic of my love ship while I'm holding my baby up at the front saying, you know, king of the world, you and I Yeah, I don't know. I mean I know that feeling though, because I'm man when there's something about I was just telling you. I think I've said this on the show before, Like the difference between seeing my baby smile at three pm or seeing my baby smile at three am.
Speaker 1: Is it completely different?
Speaker 2: Like when I'm like, don't be smiling right now, You're like, oh, you get the fucking party.
Speaker 1: I abuse you like a clown, you know what I mean. That's why I'm turning into him suddenly.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I know that feeling, like man, my my, Like late night google searches were all like stuff like that of like you know, a week, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean the business opportunities for new parents who are googling solutions to their problems at three o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 1: I forget about.
Speaker 4: We've spent hundreds of not thousands of dollars like on little things from Amazon or whatever costs go to come overnight so that we could fix whatever the problem we're having.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's crazy. Is your is your baby? Like what's the just kind of just you know, young, so not sing as well.
Speaker 4: She's perfect in every way except she's a newborn, right, and so she wants to be back in the womb in the fourth trimester. But uh, you know, we love her. But as you can imagine, I've never you know, felt this kind of love before other than that dog.
Speaker 1: Somehow my love has expanded for my dog. Yah.
Speaker 4: And yeah, it's it's it's everything that you can imagine would be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure. You know how Jack I was talking, shit, I'm like, yo, my son's sleep. He's sleeping through the night.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, nas, don't say that that's my only hope.
Speaker 1: I mean it halfed.
Speaker 2: I mean it's like it's now went from like like eleven hours to six and then like got out you know, rock rock them back, and then you know, I can continue my sleep. But I've slowly my body's adjusted. I think I think I may have. I'm starting to bait be able to run on much less and less sleep than I thought I would.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you find that you're far more efficient with your hours during the day too, right.
Speaker 1: Oh totally yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like I go to sleep like early, like a you know, like an adult too, so because I'm like, because you got to do that thing. It's like when the baby's sleeping, you got to sleep too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: As much as I want to reclaim those hours and play the new Star Wars Jedi Survivor game, I cannot.
Speaker 1: For my own, you know, sleep cycle agreed. What is something that you think is overrated? Oh?
Speaker 4: Man, Yeah, I think Airbnb. Recently, I've just been so annoyed with their excess fees and cleaning and this, that and the other thing, and I've gone back to just going to hotels because I can just I know the price, yeh know, the system. I go in and then I leave and I don't have to clean forty five dishes and do all sorts of stuff. So yeah, I would say for me right now, Airbnb is overrated.
Speaker 2: Right do Like the hotel is never Like you didn't bring the trash bags out to the can outside, So that's a pefenty dollars charge.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also one dish was not cleaned properly and you didn't put all the sheets into the Washington. I'm like, okay, you know what, Yeah, I totally get that. It's so a feezer.
Speaker 1: Because like it's wild too.
Speaker 2: You'll see like a you'll see a price when it's like whatever, one hundred and fifty bucks a night, and then it talies it up.
Speaker 1: It's like it's six grand six or wait.
Speaker 4: What all the clean is more than the night?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, and then you know COVID serilization fee.
Speaker 4: You're like, and just as a person of color, early on, I had a lot of issues with Airbnb in that like I would reserve something and then it would get canceled. Oh yeah, and my wife was a white woman, would would reserve the same or siveral place and be like okay, yeah you can come that far.
Speaker 1: So yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: I would just be like, please her majesty, use your whiteness and booking exactly because this place is too fucking nice from a like fucking black and brown ass avatar for them to be like, yeah, we trust him.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, what's what's something you think is underrated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I guess I'm again baby on the mind. I would say new moms. Man, my wife is a rock star, and I don't know, Yeah, Miles here, what is wife? I'm assuming? Yeah, like the what are that what they're doing on a day to day week tweek basis in these first couple of months, I mean obvious the first couple of years for the rest of their lives. But yeah, certainly you know my mom, my wife, my wife, Uh you know all right, breastfeeding, breastfeeding for forty hours a week plus, right, yeah, and please you've been it's two hour shifts, like completely just underrated. What you know, what what new moms have to go through and in terms of of keeping these little ones alive.
Speaker 1: So and it was just Mother's Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why it's like it's not lost on me, Like it's just just gestation and birth that part alone. I'm like, look, I got about I don't know how what I have to do to offset this balance that we've already created because of caring and delivering the child. Like there's nothing I could do except for maybe stay up really late a lot more. But yeah, it's it's it's so like you know, like like I was saying, like to other people, like your your ability to love expands so many ways, not just by having a child, but even like in my marriage. It's like, yeah, it's wild. I feel like in a way, like some people like, but baby's not going to solve everything. Not that we had problems that we had to solve, but it's like it's completely added a new dimension and depth of love to even like my relationship to my partner that.
Speaker 1: Was not there. Yeah yeah yeah. And also it's just Mother's Day, so shout out all them. Yeah, shout out to all old moms, new moms, all of the manufacturing the most nutritious food in the world with their body like constantly. Yeah yeah. And the most we can do is, you know, clean pacifiers and like equipment. I take that T shirts. T shirts are the appropriate thing to clean past fires with. What that? Oh yeah that?
Speaker 2: Or just suck the dust right off. I'm like, get the ground. I'm like, okay, there, you go right back to And as we're talking, I.
Speaker 4: Just got this whiff of throw yep. Yeah my shirt is just covered in it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, my computer, I still have breast milk rings on the laptop.
Speaker 1: I'll show you. There you go. That is amazing. You see that ring right there. Yeah, that's breast milk. There you go.
Speaker 4: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: It's like I leave it on like it's a fucking patch. I think for like when I travel, I'm like, I just want to remember. I want to remember that I'm the smell there. You know where you came from?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, exactly. Isn't that a thing in like men's influencers where they like drink breast milk or like order breast milk because there's.
Speaker 4: A lot of Yeah, they're they're buying that stuff up because I think it's better for them and and helps build the muscles.
Speaker 1: I don't know about man. Not all there not all their ideas are bad.
Speaker 4: You see, just make a lot of money. We got some extra stuff that I might put it on the black market job creators.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Hey, you can with breast milk, you can get ripped and address some unaddressed weird things that are going on with your relationship with your mother, you know what I mean. Hey, but Homelander did it. Homelander did that ship. That's Oh, it's for the most powerful men out there they drink breast milk.
Speaker 1: Well that's right, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about some news. And we're back, and so is fi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh I mean so she's back in the Senate. She cast her first votes last Wednesday after being out for months, like almost three months, and Senate Democrats were eger for her return because Judiciary Committee they had a backlog of judicial picks, of Biden's judicial picks they had to confirm that had been in a standstill. They're also big relieve to have a crucial vote that could help avert like a debt ceiling disaster. So in a sense they're like, Okay, this is great to have her back, but truly at what cost? Because if anyone who saw the footage of her arrived to work at the Capitol, it was pretty hard to watch. She got out of a car, her one of her staffers had a wheelchair waiting.
Speaker 1: She said, where am I going? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, you know, as she got into the wheelchair, and then she said, I got something in my eye. And then Chuck Schumer comes up. He's like hi, Diane. She's like hi, Chuck, Hi everyone, and then slowly like wheeled off to like to work, but it was it was one of those scenes where you're like, oh, man, this is this, she is, she is, she is in a bad way, and I don't know, like I think it was. That scene was kind of tragically familiar for anyone that's watched an elderly loved one sort of begin to slip into poor health and sinility. And you know, her office says that she's been suffering from shingles, which eventually hospitalized her, and shingles is fucking no joke, especially at that age. Ruth Bader Ginsburg also she had secret shingles like that she wasn't really talking about and she couldn't shake it after a while because it had gone too far. And so you know, like right now, Feinstein is saying that she's gonna retire in twenty twenty five. But I think a lot of people are like, is that really necessary? Like, you know, like it's not like you're in a red state where the governor is gonna swap you out for like a sentient four Chan meme like Navin Newsom will put a Democrat in there and things can move happily along, and you know, Diane can live out her days in peace and potentially recover rather than have to like, as one staffer called it, put up this. They call it kabuki basically with how she's like she's looked at legislation and they said this this, these words don't make sense. She said that, and they're like, oh shit, And apparently like her chief of staff is kind of running things behind the scenes. It's been a very Yeah, it's just very difficult to watch. And there's like so many layers of like fucked up here. It's like the Democrats like, well, we need your ass to get these boats through, so get your ass over here. But also like we're not able to you know, like this is like a real problem we have in the in the US two about like being able to know when like we can rest and not have this mentality like we have to keep going or if I stop then this means X Y or Z.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it really been really hard watch.
Speaker 4: I saw that, I saw the picture that I see the video, but I saw the pictures in my immediately my immediate reaction was, is that Senator Palpatine's wife, Like she just looked so frail and like just out of like a movie you know, Star Wars, Like I feel like, just yeah, I just I don't understand why she's trying to cling to this power other than she wants the power, right, It just makes no sense.
Speaker 1: It's probably you know, like anything, right, Like when my like grandparents too, there's a there's a moment where they're like, no, I'm good, I'm good, don't worry about me, and You're like, you're not good at all. Sometimes you can't leave it, leave the decision in their hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm sure on some level she doesn't want to admit that to herself, which I completely understand. But this is why, like, you know, a way like this is why we need shit like term limits, interments, and we need to stop like incentivizing like a gerontocracy in the Senate because of all these seniority rules and committee assignments, like it's like you want the oldest motherfuckers in there.
Speaker 1: Like so everything is like all bad about this. Yeah, there's just no good no good news. And by the way, I do appreciate you keeping it veiled by saying an elderly loved one miles about me, you know, coming back from being sick for a couple of days, and look, I'm not being fragile. I never thought humiliation was an effective tool this person. I've told you that. And when it's time for you to call time, Jack, it's time for you to call time. I'm not going to get you.
Speaker 2: But it is hard for people to watch that happen. I'm just gonna say that right now. It is heart it's heartbreaking, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The truth is shingles is devastating for a twenty or thirty year old or someone her age. I mean, just it's it makes it really just makes no sense. And I completely agree with you guys that we need to get termal limits. We need to the Democrats, especially as you get younger people in the House and Senate. We just if we want to attrack this next generation of voters, you know, it's not going to be done by the seventy eighty nine year old.
Speaker 1: You know, are there nations that have like a age limit or anything like that that I'm just curious, like any institutions that are like, Okay, well, we know that we're coming up on age seventy, which is when we're no longer allowed to have these jobs, and so we like have the infrastructure in place to create a new class of whatever whatever the job is.
Speaker 2: You know, like other countries definitely have term limits, term limits for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is it's a it's a mess. But like yeah, like i know, like with president with the who are two options they're going to be for the next present? Right too?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like for judges, I know, like I'm just reading Australia, Canada, England, France, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Russia, South Africa, Spain, they all have term.
Speaker 1: Limits or mandatory retirement ages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and especially when you look at like where we are in American history, this point in history, Like we can't have leaders or or legislators who are so divorced from like the outcomes of their decisions now because they're like, well I don't I'm not going to see what the fuck happens with the decision in ten years because the stakes are completely different. But yeah, like it's just like there's other levels too that are just like really gross, Like just hearing about how the staffers are like trying to hide it because they don't want to find other jobs and shit too, and it's at this it's set at this poor woman's expense, and it's.
Speaker 4: It's forty million people from California who are being underrepresented or not represented at all because of yeah, because of this, yeah, because of this right, and so those people are not getting a voice in California itself was already under presented because they only get two senators and you know, X amount of representatives and so yeah, it's just it's to me, it's the whole thing is ludicrous, and she should retire immediately. They should get someone else that can can actually represent forty million.
Speaker 2: People at the very least, yeah, and not have Like there was another time that I was reading this other article about like just kind of just the greatest hits of Peel being like.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, dive fi.
Speaker 2: She came up to Tim Senator Tim Scott from South Carolina, the black the lone black Republican senator, and she thought he was Rafael Warnock. No, yes, and she said, congrat I've been rooting for you. I'm so happy you're joining us, and blah blah blah, and Tim Scott apparently just played.
Speaker 1: Along like he knew what time it was already.
Speaker 2: Oh no, he was like, thank you so much, I really appreciate your support and kept it moving and you know, like This is kind of where you know, these are these are not the situations, but you need to be putting these people in. But at the same time, like we're also the messages that are like for a lot of the people that are in office, they just don't want to let go of that or either it can't.
Speaker 1: Be left in their hands and that anytime that's with it without term limits like that, you're going to end up leaving it in their hands. They're going to have to make the decision to back out of it, and they're never going to make that decision, or at least rarely will they make the decision. Like it's it's like any any job, any sport, like let letting a boxer decide when it's time to retire or you know anything. Yeah, they they never make the right decision themselves, like we never make as humans. We don't make the right We're not the best at deciding when it's time to hang it up.
Speaker 4: No, I think Tom Brady has made the best decisions that around. As a new Patriot fan, I wish that he would come back and retire again.
Speaker 1: Hey man, he's he's got he's got wounds to heal. Man.
Speaker 2: Ever since he saw Giselle right off with the jiu jitsu guy in a slippery slope man, and in a way maybe he's like, I should have retired because there goes my there was my bay with the jiu jitsu man on a horse.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right. Elon Musk named Linda Yakarino as the new CEO of Twitter. She is leaving her job as Chairman of Global Advertising Partnerships at NBC Universal. So this is she like, it seems like it's basically really focusing on ad support and like getting getting ads. He it doesn't feel like he hired somebody who is experienced with like being a CEO. It's more like he is going to continue to be the acting CEO, and he's like, we need some we need some ad sales support, so I hire someone focused on the logic.
Speaker 2: Here of Elon Musk, right, he's like, I've turned this into a hate speech powered hell site that's caused all advertisers to flee.
Speaker 1: It's not it's not no, it surely can't be the lack of moderation and the racist free for all. It's that I don't have someone with all the advertiser connections that I need. So of course you get somebody's going from a gigantic media conglomerate with all these ad relationships as a way to prop up your business when it's so clear why they fled. But please, elon keep going. I'm sure she has a fantastic CV. Yeah. Well, it does seem like her politics might line up with his because she follows the Babylon b OH, which I mean, maybe she's just a fan of really great comedy, but you know that's the right wing, the onion. But like their jokes are just fucking transphobic garbage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not jokes. As a shiny Pi would say, it would be a misuse of words how I would describe that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, also follows the head of libs of TikTok on Twitter. Oh and she was part of Trump's Council on Sports, Fitness and Nutrition, although.
Speaker 4: She also worked Who else was on that?
Speaker 1: Right, That's where I get all my I get most of my nutrition and health and fitness advice from.
Speaker 4: CEO McDonald's was on there.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, yeah, but she also worked for the Biden administration, creating an advertising campaign for the COVID vaccinations starring the Pope.
Speaker 2: Oh oh wow, you know who is on that on that council Bill Belichick.
Speaker 1: Hell really yeah, Yankees closer Mariano rivera doctor oz who had bin Meyer and herschel Walker there yeah yeah among men. Yeah, but because the new CEO espoused vaccines and masking and you know, social justice in the past and is a woman Elon musk famboys are melting down and ri i P. Twitter started trending at the end of the last week when it was announced these people don't know anything about fucking anything really all right, okay, sure you love to see it when they're when they're hateful politics like trap them, like come back to bite them in the ass. Like this reminds me of like when Gina Carano thing where she like self destructed her career for her like anti woke politics went and made an action movie for the Daily Wire, and like the Daily Wire fans were like, why would we ever watch this? It stars a woman doing action crap. No way, that's woke. Pull that's woke bs.
Speaker 2: Man, I'd be like, what, oh yeah, I mean it's uh that boomerang does does come back pretty quickly. I like how people are just like they just said, rip Twitter, you just appointed a brain dead comedy as CEO. I'll get this out there now, fuck Linda Yakarino and everybody else, and like really really yeah this yeah, this person, Yeah, they're such a communist. But again on me, they don't even know what communist is. It's someone who believes in science, I think at this point is a communist.
Speaker 4: And Elon is still going to be involved, right, Like he's going to be the CTO still or something like that? Is that is that what I heard?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's still going to be the CEO? Like this is true. I think I feel like he's probably he was probably getting pressure from the board around you know, his horrifying mishandling and like of every just doing a terrible job as the CEO of Twitter. And so he's like, yeah, I'll name a CEO who will have no power and we'll just only be focused on getting AD sales back, and then we'll fire her once they can't resuscitate ad sales.
Speaker 4: Right, Like, I've been three six months? How long do you should we make a prediction? Is it six months? Is it a year that that she's there before she's fired for not bringing the I mean.
Speaker 2: I mean, could her relationships actually get them to look past just how like garbage of a site Twitter is do you like, don't like, is that logic really get to track with? Like, I mean, she's got relationships GM, surely like she can get them to come back to the table.
Speaker 1: But I'm I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, for a lot of right wing media out there, there are advertisers that want to advertise on those platforms, and if Twitter continues to be this kind of cesspool of uh, you know, conservative, right wing racist thought, you know there is there are people that want to reach that audience unfortunately right and yeah.
Speaker 2: But they don't have I guess that's the difference is they don't have the spending power that would keep the website going like a General Motors would, because it's just going to be like some crypto scheme that you know, it's like.
Speaker 1: About pillow company, yeah, or like Pepe the Frog coin or some shit like that. But yeah, Linda Yakerino hard harder Row, I feel like companies are still a little hesitant to like go full full on board, like there is enough elon Musk and like I'm sure like the CEOs of those companies in the privacy of their own right wing like Nazi memorabilia. Dungeons probably would would love to like openly come out and support of this sort of thing, but they recognize that it's not popular. But I am starting to feel, like we talked before about how like America was ripe for a nineteen eighties like Reaganite reversion, like popular culture like goes full bore right wing and like embraces a like republican right wing president. I could see that, like things are starting to shape up in a direction where if it's Biden versus Trump, and like Trump seems to have a little bit more mental acuity than Biden does, Like I could see that being if Trump gets re elected, I could see that being the thing that all these CEOs are like, Okay, finally we can just like go full mask off, like this is what America wants. We all, like, right, are going to advertise with Elon Musk and like get fully on board. Can always get worse. I guess it's my read on this. So yeah, like I as much as it doesn't make sense in the current you know zeitgeist, for like Twitter to suddenly like be able to turn the ad sales around and like for GM to start like advertising on right wing platforms. I could see a future where that's the case, and where everything just kind of turns in that direction because certainly the people who make the decisions at those companies like they are on board with that. They are they all in the privacy of their own, you know, conversations with each other, are having the conversations where they are like, yeah, we need like we need to stop being so woke. All right, I'm sick of hearing about how I'm making too much money. Yeah, of course I'm making more money than an entry level person like coming because I'm the CEO. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So do we think AMC is going to be advertising their their new candy that they make on on Twitter anytime soon?
Speaker 1: We'll see potentially potentially, I mean I might be advertised. I still have to taste test it. We'll see, we'll see how good it is. But yeah, another thing that we might be getting on Twitter is so I guess this is something they tried before Twitter Blue, where so Twitter could become a dating app. According to noted relationship expert Elon Musk, he reportedly is considering adding a dating app feature to Twitter, just in case people were worried that it wasn't a hellish enough site already, and the idea stemmed from a tweet from some guy who claimed that a Twitter data app might save humanity from extinction, which we always know that we always know Elon Musk is worried about saving humanity from extinction with his dick, that's of course, So yeah, that's the that's the way. Yeah, No need to worry about the ravages of climate change or just.
Speaker 2: Worry about ad app. Yeah a d hold on, This guy's not fucking enough. The world's gonna end.
Speaker 1: Racists aren't fucking enough. Yeah, truly. So he responded to that tweet by saying, it's an interesting idea that could provide jobs, because that's how he gets his business ideas, is just scouring his mentions, I guess, yeah, replying with the crying laughing emoji and that could provide jobs? Was that him pretending to be like a politician. Yeah, he's like, oh interesting, and that could provide jobs?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like yes, yes, could provide him with additional children too, doesn't he have like twenty kids with and.
Speaker 1: He's trying to repopulate the year like all on his own. Yeah, there already was once an official unofficial Twitter dating site called Blue. It was a dating service only for verified Twitter users, which I never having been a verified Twitter user, I was not aware of this, but just a small fraction of the people using Twitter were able to use it, obviously, and the idea was to match people by analyzing the contents of their tweets. Oh fuck, which sounds just awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, hey, with a new AI, maybe they can refine that a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they bragged that Blue was the safest dating community ever due to Twitter's verification system, but that obviously, since they have like turned the verification the verified tweet into like a mockery of what it once was, they no longer can can make that claim. But it will be a place, I guess, exclusively for racist Elon musk reply guys to like find each other and date one another if they're so inclined, and maybe otilate the planet and repopulate the affiliate with the worst humans that you can possibly imagine. Rise of the pick me Elon guys. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about AMC candy and we're back. And yeah, so AMC has basically said, fuck it, we'll make our own candy. We'll do it live. Fuck it, we'll do it live. Wow.
Speaker 4: All right, Bill, guys, I have a poster on my wall that says that I don't know if you can see it, fuck it, we'll do it live.
Speaker 2: The famous Bill O'Reilly quote to play us out, fuck it live.
Speaker 1: Okay, But AMC has reported that they're struggling with supply chain issues with candy companies, which are now charging thirty three percent more for their products. Apparently AMC doesn't like the idea of paying jacked up prices for candy, which is interesting because they love jacking up the prices on everything else. Right, But uh yeah, they're they're considering making their own candy where I guess they've they've announced they're going to do that. It just seems like, I don't know, like off brand candy is is a thing, but it's never a thing that seems to go very well.
Speaker 2: You're actually you're you're doing the absolute opposite of what people want when they go spend money, because you're doing the thing that all like you know, kids of frugal parents or like immigrant kids, or they're like, oh, we have red vines at home type of you know what I mean, and it ain't that, and then we then we from all that pain become the kind the consumers are, like, I will only eat name brand candies because I did not have them as a child, just to go to AMC and then get some like Kroger brand, you know, blue label candies. I don't know that's you're kind of taking the excitement out for the consumer. But I guess, like unless they unless they do the thing where it's like, I mean, you could buy the name brand ship for seventy two dollars, or you can buy our five dollars box of candies. Like maybe that juxtaposition would help.
Speaker 4: I wish that they would work on bettering the popcorn, you know, get the real butter in there, and yeah that that fake shit. You know. I just when we go to our local theater, you know, that's that's why we go.
Speaker 2: Just like you know, they got the butter, the real stuff, ah, not the coconut oil exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: I mean that coconut oil sometimes it it does hit, but not like the real thing.
Speaker 1: Ain't nothing like the real thing. There's no food that I have so consistently eaten and that is so consistently made me feel sick. Then a see movie popcorn, I will eat that ship yeah, every single time, Like there's just something. If I'm at a movie and I'm not eating popcorn, I can smell the other people eating popcorn, like I feel like I've like missed something, you know, but right, and then I eat a whole medium sized popcorn and feel horrible, like my body is like this is not food. This is bad. This is like it's yelling at me. And I still still do it every single time.
Speaker 4: When I saw a top Gun, I was done with my popcorn before the movie even began because the previews were like half an hour. Yeah, it's like what do I do now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I love the way that the head of AMC really tried to make it seem like this is for the consumer, Like I mean, with the price is so high, I mean, it only makes sense for us to create a high quality private Like you said, high quality private label. I love that almost like it does almost sound good when it was private label brand. Yeah yeah, chocolate candy coated shells or whatever you calling it M and MS. But really, again, you're saying that to fucking shareholders when really what you're saying is and so we can make way more money because the margins on this shit are home be fat. Yeah, you know, that's really what we're doing here. But I just don't understand, Like, no one, you can't. There's a reason why these these candy companies have been around. Yeah, because they've spent fucking decades inside people's minds being like this is the only option for candy. It's Eminem's, it's Reese's Pieces, it's Twizzlers, it's souragat kids. Yeah, Junior Min's fucking Goobers if you're so inclined, you know, all of those things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like Wrigley, like all the all those those are like old legacy, like the those those companies have, like like families that have generational wealth. At this point, I feel like there's a reason that it's not like people are like, all right, you can get our like restaurants like T shirt and also our proprietary candy brand, you know, right, like the T It feels like there's like a bar for entry in making candy that I don't know, though, I guess. I guess like middle schools and elementary schools like sell those candies. So maybe, yeah, I feel like maybe I'm being too hard on them.
Speaker 4: I feel like they should go to the local route and offer up, you know, in every city, you know, the local kind of candy, patures or whatever. Right, that to me seems like something that maybe people would be Maybe it might be a little.
Speaker 1: Cha that's too woke.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's probably true. Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry your local candies. We can't do that, But I mean, yeah, that that would be the kind it would be nice to have more like regionally focused concessions. Yeah, you know what I mean, Like, why can't I get like in La.
Speaker 1: We like spicy shit? Why can't I get spicy popcorn? Like just fucking do that kind of shit?
Speaker 2: But again, it's so funny that even again, like this is like the Rhonda Santis first Disney thing. I'm like, I'm for the big company, Like, stop trying to fuck up Hershey's.
Speaker 1: Money, what's wrong with y'all?
Speaker 4: But hey, do you guys have salt and straw down there? Would love some salt and straw ice cream in the movie.
Speaker 1: That'd be great. Yeah, what is like? Yeah, like what's uh, what's what would be a local Los Angeles candy like I don't even know what the fuck sees is.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, oh yeah sees that's right, Okay, I mean, but C's is like hmmm.
Speaker 1: See now I'm like thinking, I'm like, do I want to be eating big old pieces of chocolate that are melting in my hand when I'm watching it? Right? The only candy like it is it does seem like chocolate is the one that gets the off brand treatment, right, like they those like when you would like go around, I remember, I forget what I was raising money for as a kid, but like you, you could go around and sell like the different candy bars and oh yeah yeah yeah, and there would be like the caramel ones that I would eat like three of them and just like make my parents pay for pay for those ones. Oh yeah, I remember. Is that the quality we're going to be getting is just like caramel nut bar like in private label times New Roman, like clearly printed on like a yeah, with private label like clearly printed on a dot matrix printer yea.
Speaker 2: And or or that all the labels are like on like like a big laser jet printer or mailing label sheet, just clearly peeling off and slapping them on. You're like damn this is is this safe?
Speaker 1: Has just gone? Like? Is this FDA approved?
Speaker 4: You know, I wish that movie theaters had sold Girl Scout cookies and on a bottle of milk. That would be that would be great for me to oh yeah yeah, get some thin mints, you know, and and a nice glass I think of great.
Speaker 1: I really challenged the head of AMC to really think like a fucking just predatory capitalist and think of like businesses who are like, oh, they would fucking give it away for us to sell at the theaters and like.
Speaker 2: We got their asses. But instead they're like, no, we'll make our own candy that no one's.
Speaker 1: Gonna fuck with. Yeah, okay, fine, you greedy bastard. Yeah, I'm sure the working conditions of the AMC proprietary candy factory they're gonna be great.
Speaker 2: Jack again, this is this quote, I love it from CEO adam Era, and it said that got us thinking very hard about our candy. We realized that we could manufacture a private label brand of candy to very high quality standards, price it less expensively than our current candy is price, and have a higher profit margin because our cost of manufacture the private label brand is so much less than the normal brands that you've seen in our previous three year goodness.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, private labels, here we go. I mean I don't know. Yeah, it's just like even that I'm trying to think of, I'm so fucking brand loyal I'm kind of disgusted with myself, like at the thought of being like can I eat this kind of chocolate peanut butter, candy coated spears or whatever? Weird like just generic description that they give them. Well, AMC's doing a thing that like they you know, they are a monopoly, so like it's like the place that people that you have to go see movies, and they're confusing that with like people really like us as a brand, Like so they have the Nicole Kittman thing. They like, have the AMC. Yeah, they have the AMC like club rewards and stuff like that. I just feel like they're probably misunderstanding overestimating our interest in being like what would they do with candy? Like what would I bet? I bet their candy would be really good?
Speaker 2: It's giving me big DNC vibes. Yeah, you know, or the Democrats like they love us, right, we don't have to do anything because the options are bullshit around, so we're good.
Speaker 1: They're gonna love everything we do.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, I was like, na, man, I held my fucking nose in the last election.
Speaker 1: Yeah fuck, I don't fuck.
Speaker 2: With this, but there is nothing else you have a monopoly on, not so outwardly fascist shit. You guys kind of hide it better than the Republicans. That's the only reason why I'm here, not because I love the fucking Brand're like, oh, they're gonna love this new slate of candidates.
Speaker 1: We march out. We're all in their eighties. This is funny that, like they're trying to take the credit for the movies. Like you guys like movies, right, Well, that's us. We're the movie people. Yeah, Like Nicole Kitman's watching the movies here, and like you like movies. You're that kid from school we were friends with because they had a pool. Yeah, yeah, that's all it was.
Speaker 2: And I'm sorry to tell you that it was because you had a pool, okay, and we stood by while you made terrible off color jokes about shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you had the pool, all right. Well, speaking of movies, Disney lost millions of subscribers, and a lot of people in the media are suggesting, especially on the right, that it's because they're too woke. They recently revealed they lost another four million Disney Plus subscribers in the first quarter of twenty two a lot. That is a lot of subscribers because Loki. Yeah, so the this is from Breitbart headline from Breitbart. Disney Plus subscriptions plummet by four million as studio keeps pushing transgender drag queen content because Loki is gender fluid, I guess. And so they're they're claiming that, of course they have that is making Yeah, that's that's the reason. And then yeah, yeah, the real reason is that when they bought Fox, Disney acquired hot Star in India, which had a five year deal to stream professional cricket, but Disney Plus. Hot Star lost the streaming rights last year when they were outbid by a rival company, me for three billion dollars. So they still have the TV rights, but they don't have it on Disney Plus. So it's like a thing that was driving a huge portion of their business that most Americans probably weren't even aware like existed, and it has no you know, no implication gender fluidity.
Speaker 4: The second time that you guys have mentioned cricket in the last week. Is this a new theme.
Speaker 1: For the show?
Speaker 2: Yea, And with Saudia was on, we know we were talking about cricket. Yeah, with Saudia Khn also, I look at cricket. It's like I think it's the invisible hand that's guiding our markets. You know, people need to wake up. That's just always watched theuth Asians were coming. Guys, you've gotta watch out.
Speaker 1: They're like, you're gonna learn about cricket now. Yeah, but they also lost some subscribers in the US, and people are looking for you know, to blame that on wokeness and not on them jacking up their prices twice in the same here, Yeah, which probably has more to do with it. No, no, it's but but they they love the Google woke, go broke thing. They ain't going broke, man. They know how to make money.
Speaker 2: Like it's this not that it's not that they're just they'll yeah, they'll shed some subscribers when it's.
Speaker 1: A bridge too far for the cost. But that's that's what's going on here.
Speaker 4: If there's any brand out there that knows their audience, it's Disney and Marvel and in the Star Wars Universe, right, like like they're not gonna people aren't leaving because Loki what what the character was trenent Arectly, they're leaving for other reasons, economic reasons and and whatnot. So yeah, totally agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean, yeah, look, someone who has been leeching off someone else's Disney Plus account.
Speaker 1: I wish I could say like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm giving them my money, but there's too many damn subscriptions, so many plus you know, shout out to the homies with the plex servers that you know, put the content up.
Speaker 1: There cost free for your boy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, cricket though great business, big business reminds me of It's starting to remind me of Succession with Joe Goo. Yeah, because he's already he got he got some he's got like some fluctuating numbers in India as well.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, this is all art imitating life. Yeah, I feel I feel like, yeah, succession should should be educational for for everyone, like be viewed as like the the and these are the reasons the decisions are made. It's like pure ego and bullshit and trying to look cool in a meeting.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, because I think like a like a venture between Paramount and another investor, the ones who bought the rights. So it's like, you know, Paramount came in and swooped up those cricket rights.
Speaker 1: That's what happened.
Speaker 2: It's just you know, it's company fighting that's happening. And I guess you know, with rohndis Hantis being like, well, we don't need social studies books about the Holocaust, then maybe he maybe he is a step closer to being like, yeah, Succession is the new business education show that we will share.
Speaker 1: The goods well aside. It's been such a pleasure having you on the daily Zeitgeist. Where can people find you? Follow you, hear you all that good stuff?
Speaker 4: Yeah, on all the socials. My handle is a butt in Portland and so definitely look me up. And then our as you mentioned, our podcast is called Invisible Hate. We talked about hate crimes that happened in the US that kind of are underreported and so would love for people to check that out and and learn more about hate crimes against the Americans.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And is there a work of media that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I really love the work of Maybe Husson who's on the Peacock Channel. I listened to it in the podcast form. But he's a journalist, Ankor, and he really is holding power to account. He's got a weekly show and then he just released a new book that once I have a little bit more free time when my baby falls asleep, I'm going to take a look at. It's called Win Every Argument. But he's a he's a really journal listening to and some some awesome work. I wish that he had a chance to ask Trump some questions last week because I think he would have gotten a lot more out of that interview than than what we saw on CNN.
Speaker 2: Other than Caitlyn Collins who used to work for The Daily Wire. Yeah, I love how like how quickly people forget like this, how they're staffing up at CNN.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Miles, where can people find you? Is there working media you've been enjoying? Oh?
Speaker 2: Twitter and Instagram at Miles of Gray find Jack and on our basketball podcast Miles and Jack got mad. Mostees hoping for a you know, good outcome in these upcoming series.
Speaker 1: We shall see and let's see what else?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, fo twenty Sophia Alexander were talking about Love is Blind and ninety day fiance. Uh some tweets I like don't really like anything. I will say this. When Daniel was on y'all were talking about Kunk on Earth on Netflix. Yeah, I started watching that. Shit is so fucking good.
Speaker 1: It is so really funny. It is so fucking funny. I love that shit.
Speaker 2: Diane Morgan is fucking fantastic as Philamina Kunk, And it's just like the writing is so fucking good. Like it's the way they pack in all of these jokes, but they're so like hard hitting from like a just like a very just a fantastic perspective. So again, if you haven't watched Kunk on Earth, please watch that ship.
Speaker 1: This ship is so good.
Speaker 2: And that's been getting my attention in like the most positive way, and I've been getting really sincere laughs, especially when they were talking about like American slavery and all the jokes that they had like manifest Destiny. It's just fantastic joke writing and fantastic writing.
Speaker 1: So that see U n K.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a BBC like a like a BBC Netflix joint venture, but it's basically yeah, it's it's Planet Earth. But if alig of an alig type comedian was doing people's like, you know, talking to philosophy professors and it's just blowing their minds with how idiotics the questions are.
Speaker 1: That's so good. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore. O'Brien tweet I've been enjoying. Jannis Astakoupo on May ninth tweeted I'm tired of the disrespect. I'm coming and with like a picture of him getting ready to be introduced before a Bucks game, and Ross Parson's Infinity retweeted that and said Rodney Dangerfield making love to his wife. I'm tired of the disrespect. I'm coming. Oh man killed me well, I was laying in bed sweating. I was I was enjoying that one for the Thanks for the levity, friend. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and a website Daily zeit guys dot com, where we post our episodes and our foot notes. We link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, what's the song that you think people might enjoy.
Speaker 2: This is I was listening to some Flume, you know from the Australian DJ producer listen to a mixtape that came out a couple of years ago. I was, I was on the plane and I came across this gem called Voices with featuring.
Speaker 1: Kuchka and Sophie.
Speaker 2: But anyway, if you search voices by Flume, this track will come up. It's just a really I don't know. It's just gott like. Flume's style is very unique, like you know, like very very intricate producing and cutting and things like that.
Speaker 1: But this this one just kind of I don't know. It has like a Sophie's voice on it. Plus the beat together just warms my little beat love and heart. So check this one out Voices by Flow all right, we will link off to that in the footnotes. The Daily Zeitgeis is a production by Heart Radio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or wherever you listen your Faceavorite shows that is going to do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending and we will talk to you all then Bye bye