Speaker 1: The Craig Ferguson Fancy Rascal Stand Up Tour continues throughout twenty twenty four. For a full list of dates and tickets, go to the Craig Ferguson show dot com slash tour.
Speaker 2: See you out there, the.
Speaker 1: Greig Ferguson show dot com slash Tour. My name is Craig Ferguson. The name of this podcast is Joy. I talk to interest in people about what brings them happiness.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: My guest is I've got to be honest, he's probably cooler than you. But to be fair, he's very much cooler than me, which I realize is not a high bar. But he's a very cool guy. Please welcome, Sung Kang.
Speaker 2: Are you friends with Jay Lena? I would say, well, I might admire.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've been on this show in his garage. Yeah, it's not like I go to his house in Hipdner.
Speaker 2: No, it does that Jay? Is he? If you did have dinner with them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know he he never has hot like it was like he's fiercely against soup, is he?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It's weird.
Speaker 1: I think he's some weird stuff going on.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about soup?
Speaker 3: I don't like soup either, really, yeah, I don't. I don't like hot food, like.
Speaker 2: Dude, you're Korean.
Speaker 3: Like there's a little slicy food, right, like soup, Yeah, that's I don't.
Speaker 1: But there are soups involved in Korea. Cusine, there's there's a whole soup area, lots of souper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, avoided. I like cold. I like the cold noodles, right, but but hot soup soup is is like that's Polish and stuff. You're you're crossing the streams.
Speaker 3: And you know, Polish has a lot a lot of similarities to Korean food.
Speaker 2: Actually really yeah, how does that work? Have you been to Poland? Have you spent time? No? But my wife's background history is Polish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I just spent some time in Poland.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: A lot of their food is pickled, that's right, fermented, Yeah, fermented. She's always een pickles all the time.
Speaker 3: They love beef tongue, they love beef tartar. Right, I can see you're kind of right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But also Koreans drink a lot too, though, don't they. Oh yeah, yeah, Koreans are like they used to say this is probably very no okay to say this not but they used to say the Koreans are the Irish of Europe Asia.
Speaker 2: Koreans, I've heard that, like literate drunks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't like outsiders, right, and they don't like each other much either.
Speaker 2: That sounds like they might be scot then. But let'st the a lot of your family still in Korea. Uh, my mother is in Korea.
Speaker 1: I thought you were brought up in uh in California or Georgia.
Speaker 2: Georgia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so after I graduated high school, right, she decided to go back. Oh yeah, she came here for you know, the kids like me, to give me the American dream, right, But she always felt like she did feel like a second class citizen. Really, yeah, I mean, and you know she growing up in the South during the seventies and the eighties, you know, opportunities for her to work, like you know, she was my mother, like was cleaning toilets like a housekeeper. But you know, she felt like, hey, she did her she did her duty. She gave her kids opportunity to dream, right, or maybe opportunities that we wouldn't have had if we were in Korea at you know, living there in the seventies. Yeah, and so she felt like, hey, you know, I want to go back, and you know, you know, with friends and have friends.
Speaker 2: I think I went by to Scotland, didn't. Yeah, I did. I went back to Scotland like five or six years ago.
Speaker 1: I kind of moved back there and then I'd been there for like five or six years, and I'm like, yeah, that's enough, Mary pay. Yeah, I did go back for a while. I think I don't know what you get to kind of call for. I don't know you kind of go back, would you ever? But you grew up in America, so it would be different for you. Wouldn't think about going to Korea.
Speaker 3: I tried, you know, you know when I when I was like in my twenties, I said, you know, maybe I could go back there and there'd be more opportunities for me.
Speaker 2: As an actor. Right, Okay.
Speaker 3: I went back and and my crean's not that good. So I speak like Korean like a maybe like an eight year old, right, So I have an accent when I speak Korean, and they know that I'm from America. Really yeah, it's kind of yeah, it's like if you spoke Korean, I sound like you, right, Because I went.
Speaker 1: A friend of mine, we went out to Mexico and he speaks really good Spanish, but you learned it in Spain. So when you go out to Mexico and you speak Spanish, Spanish, Castilian Spanish, to Mexicans, it sounds like you said, good afternoon, how very very moveless lovely to see you. There's like you sound super polish or something like that. Very strange. So is that the kind of vibe. I guess it would be languages language.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then men in Korea they say that I sound like a woman because okay, you know, there's a certain way of speaking, like informal and formal away female would speak, right and a male would speak. And I've been taught how to speak Korean by women, my mother and my wife. Right, So I sound like.
Speaker 1: You know, in these times, that's okay, and that's cool. I mean, I wonder how languages that have a lot of gender identity in them. I wonder if they're COVID, because gender identity is like changing.
Speaker 3: It has Yeah, I don't know if it's changing in Korea yet.
Speaker 1: Right, I don't know, to be I'll be honest with yeah, I know really nothing about Korea. Yeah, probably do you know much about Scotland. No, okay, so we're even that's fine. But I'll tell you about Scotland, you tell me about Korea, okay, okay, So when we're Korea is probably recent stuff is like the split in the country that plays under the Irish thing as well, I suppose, isn't it North and South split by someone else causes a lot of problems later on? I mean, do you have any relatives in the North?
Speaker 2: Well, we are from the North.
Speaker 3: We are originally my my especially my mother's side, they're all North Korean, all right, So she and then during the war she left, right, and so that's why she grew up so poor because they were North Koreans. And then they came to the South the w they knew no one, so they had to start over in Seoul. And you know, so they are North Korean blood and our food. So the food that she makes for the Korean food that I grew up with would be considered North Korean cuisine, right, like like Polish Korean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a lot of yeah, I get it.
Speaker 1: So listen, did they were your parents like really into you being an actor? Because that that kind of look, it's a stereotype. I thought like for I'm an immigrant, and I don't want my kids to be actors. I want them to be like you know, CPAs, CPS, that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the well, the art conversation was not something that we had at home.
Speaker 2: You know. It was it was survival.
Speaker 3: It was like, you know, my and I had I have a stepfather, so you know, he was in the military. He was like, you know, master sergeant, and you know, he was very by the book and you know, very strict in the way. You know, he felt like a young man had to grow up. And he worked, you know, he had he worked like two three jobs, right. My mother, uh, she you know, was cleaning dishes and yeah, and uh, you know, her mind was like i gotta like send my kids to college. I'm going to have this money. I'm going to you know, save some money. So they have opportunities to talk about, hey, I want to be an actor.
Speaker 2: It's like crazy talk. It is.
Speaker 1: It was where I grew up as well, Like I'm going to be in show business. It's like, yeah, I'm going to be an astronaut. It's like no, yeah, you're not. You're going to go and want the shipyards like everybody else. So did you go to college?
Speaker 2: I did? So? What did you study a college?
Speaker 1: Political science? I was going to be on political scientist? Right, what is the outcome for a political science degree?
Speaker 2: Normally? What's the goal from that? You go to law school? You go to law school and become a lawyer. Yeah, man, you don't want to do that. No, you're way too cool to be a lawyer. Wow. Yeah No, even if they're cool. Defenders are pretty still lawyers, though, aren't they. I mean, underneath it all, they're still lawyers.
Speaker 1: I guess public defenders, right, yeah, but I'm thinking in LA terms, I guess, but there are public defenders in LA. Yeah, you're right. So you squandered your law degree? That did you finish?
Speaker 2: Did you get a law degree? Now? You left? I never, well, I wanted.
Speaker 3: I knew that I was going to be unhappy doing that, right, And during the summer I was moving furniture for like a like aid and my buddy that was kind of like an older brother mentor. He was the first Asian dude that I ever met that loved films and talked about films and he knew the universal studios like tour Monologue. The dude at the tram that tells you like, yeah.
Speaker 2: I went and when I first came here, everybody he knew.
Speaker 3: That monologue by heart, just because he loved movies and loved you know, the whole you know, like pop culture aspect, and and we would go watch films together and he would open the door for me to go, hey, there's there's you know, this art house film and there's this like Asian American dude, like he's the lead, Like you could, let's go, let's go watch it. And you know it's like, I mean, you should be inspired, like there's opportunities.
Speaker 2: So who were you watching at that time?
Speaker 3: At that time, I remember, so I was moving furniture. And then one day Roy Siaka is my buddy. He goes, hey, there's this movie called Map of the Human Heart. It's a French movie with this actor Jason Scott Lee from Hawaii, Okay, Chinese American. He eventually ended up playing the Bruce Lee biopic The Dragon.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, yeah, yeah, yeah, the name man. I have heard of that movie as well, but I haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was in Jungle Book.
Speaker 3: He was a universal soldier. He had you know, he had a pretty good career and we went to go watch this film and I see this dude, Asian American guy, not doing kungfort, not having an accent, not you know, being a gangster, not being one dimensional. I was like, wow, it was three dimensional. And I was like, I got to go find this dude. So came back until I hunted him down.
Speaker 2: The actor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like, where did he go and study? How did he become who he became? So then I found his teacher, sal Romeo, this Italian guy from the East Coast, very method based, very actors studio based, and I studied with him, you know, for like ten years, and he's up the street. He's like the most fearless and he had a theater company, so we were allowed to go up and just do experimental theater and just try just fall on your face and fall on your face. And he taught us camera technique. He just he just had and he had like every book acting book that was ever made. And he was accessible, you know, he was like a guru. He was a mentor with Sell Sell the actors.
Speaker 1: Pell that's amazing. And so when you got into acting, then you talked about method. Is that something that is practical to do? I mean I know very little about, you know, method acting, but I think I kind of a layman's idea that you know, like you stay in character all the time, you know, is that right?
Speaker 3: Well, with sales approach was like you take what works for you, you know, and if you want to do that, right, But then the character is like a heroin junkie.
Speaker 2: I don't know, you don't want to be taking Yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Know, if the characters like a pedophile, I probably probably don't want Like if you're playing cannibal, cannibal, you probably shouldn't eat people. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there is a certain amount of pretended invauld Yeah. I mean it's mostly pretending to fights overtect.
Speaker 2: It's all yeah, and you gotta have fun. Yeah.
Speaker 3: He would say, Hey, it's called the play for a reason. That's cool, right, He's like a cool guy. The coolest is he still around. He's actually really sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that's the end of that era. I mean, it's it's real. It's unfortunate because there are so many young actors and actresses that could have benefited from having sal around. Yeah, because I remember, like, you know, I cannot afford to pay for the classes and stuff that he had right, And I said, sal, you know, like I can't really afford all this stuff. And he's he was the type of duty. He's like a character out of the movie. He goes, well, hey, so you want to come seven days a week, because it was he kind of ran a conservatory, right, so right movement, and you know, and it's Donald Slavsky, there's Strawsberry. There's chair work, there's you know, substitution work, there's you know, there's I'm gonna work, there's voice work, there's you know, there's always something to do, right improfer And he said, well, hey, you want to just clean the studio and you know, run lights at the place, and you can wash my car. You know, if an actor or actress needs like somebody to read read for the audition, you come in and you do that and you can come every day.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And so he's the reason or people like that, or the reason that I was able to kind.
Speaker 1: Of and yeah, I know I got help like that from a bunch of different Actually one of them was a lawyer. Knows I think about it when I go here. Really, yeah, because I turned out pretty much like you. I didn't have you know, I had no connections I didn't know anybody. I didn't you know, And I met this lawyer. We go to talk and he's still my lawyer.
Speaker 2: Uh. And they said, uh, he said, we'll take you on.
Speaker 1: This guy's like heavy hair, he's like some massive names, like huge, like icon level clients.
Speaker 2: They said, I'll be a lawyer. I said, I don't have any money. He said, yeah, I gotta feel it. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: And he's still my lawyer. And you know, I've made him a bit of money over the years. But he took me on just kind of like it'll work out. And I think that's one of the things I do love about show business is that there's a lot of people like that and that it can work as a plan, like something will turn up, like did you have did you have a career plan in mind? Or you just like I just want to act, I just want to do it, or I want to do a specific thing. I want to be that guy in Fast and Furious franchise.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be that and that's what I want to do.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I had no plan, but I knew growing up. I did not want to leave, you know, invisible. I did not want to carry on my mom's like legacy of feeling like, you know, you're second class citizen in this country.
Speaker 2: You don't feel like that. I did not know. I think that was in times have changed, right, right. Did you feel like that growing up when you're for sure? Oh really? Yeah? Yeah, you felt you got hit with racism a lot and stuff. Yeah, I mean that was just that's just a norm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it wasn't something like remember there was like this Asian hate thing that was happening in the.
Speaker 2: News, right, Yeah, I remember, and there's still a bit of it, you know.
Speaker 3: There was something that was just normal for us going up in George, in the South. I mean yeah, it's just it was just the way it was, you know, And I think, you know, maybe that's what kind of motivated me to go, Okay, I need to leave something behind. Yeah, I need to I need to like leave my mark, like I got to pits on this earth, and then then I got I can go right.
Speaker 2: The Craike Ferguson Fancy Rascals Stand Up To It continues throughout the United States in twenty twenty four. For a full list of dates and tickets, go to the Craig ferguson show dot Com slash Tour, see you have there? What about writing? Did you ever write?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I write I right now, that's the next evolution of my career is that I would love to really, you know, explore more opportunities as an actor as a director. I think I think I found the other thing that I could be content with doing is directing directly.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting because that's a very specific mindset. And yeah, I directed one I heard. Yeah, I did not care for it. Why, well, I don't know. I can't really explain it. I've had a conversations with a couple of directors. Quentin Tarantino, I was talking to you about that very thing, and I said I didn't like doing it, and he He's like, I can't understand why a person wouldn't love directing, because of course he lives for it, you know.
Speaker 2: I said, I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: And he asked me a question, he said, did you have the movie in your head before you started? And I said yeah, and you went, well, that's that's why you're not a director. And it's like, okay, so do you have that do you have? Like, say, I know exactly how I want to see it. I know exactly how I want to feel when I'm looking at it. I want to know how the I mean, look, I don't know if all directors have this, but I certainly don't.
Speaker 2: I didn't feel.
Speaker 3: That right, I think, Wait, maybe it's like uh, writer directors, right, so you write the script. So as you're writing it, you you have the vision, right, you see how it's going to play out. You see how the words are going to be delivered. Your words are going to be delivered.
Speaker 2: You understand the message, the why behind yeah film?
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, But I mean, look, I I mean I know not but me. But I wrote this film and I directed this film, and I'm in this film, and I.
Speaker 2: Don't like it. I don't like it now. I feel like it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to be.
Speaker 1: I had a lot of pressure from like there was and this is where I made my big mistake casting you cast the wrong And what I did is I cast myself the film and that was that was.
Speaker 2: Really fucking Why did you do that? Why? Because because it was arrogant.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm gonna write it, and I'm going to direct it, and I'm gonna be in it, and it was fine to write it and directed, but I think being in it, yea was was a real piece of vanity that that really blew up in my face. I shouldn't have done that because I can concentrate on what I was doing. I also had a motorcycle accident during the shoot, and I think it knocked my concentration a bit because I broke my collar bone in three ReBs.
Speaker 2: But we didn't stop filming. I'm not good with what was the movie about.
Speaker 1: It was about a rock star who like comes out of a drug canes and finds he's a teenage daughter he didn't know about, and it was like his kind of connection.
Speaker 2: Back to her and and her mother and what happened and stuff like that is a kind of sweet, little light comedy thing that was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was okay, it was It was a better script than it was a movie, and that's what That's what I thought, Well, I can't be a director because it was a good script. But but I couldn't get and I remember, actually, you know, when I think about.
Speaker 2: It, I read the script to the movie Braveheart, and I was like, I don't get it. To get this movie at all.
Speaker 1: But when I saw the movie, I went, Wow, that's great, and I think that's mel Gibson's a really good director and I think he saw he knew what he was looking at and he could do it. So you write, you're gonna write movies? Yeah, So what kind of stuff are you writing? What do you want to write?
Speaker 2: What do you do? Well?
Speaker 3: I wrote a show, a TV show that we're moving on, We're moving forward with Okay, my gratulations, my childhood in the South, growing up with biracial parents, and you know, it's like a half hour family comedy that I wrote.
Speaker 2: And then I.
Speaker 3: Have two features that I'm almost ready to go and shoot.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. But that's it still takes over your life.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, but it's something that you know, I don't know what else I would be doing fair enough, you know. It's like I wake up, I do it, you know, and so I work a couple of hours in the morning and then a couple hours before I go to bed, so I like, you know, bookends like the day like right with this creative you know, you know, journey, and it just gives me because you know, I'm being an actor. Man, it can suck it's like the worst because you're waiting for somebody to call you and go, hey, you're good enough, and you get there and it's like, you know, you can put your heart into it, you can put your passion into it, and then it could turn out to just be.
Speaker 1: Junk or or you're not even in it. Yeah they yeah you got cut out. Yeah I've been. I've had that couple of times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. Yeah. It was like, wait, was all that ship that I did? I just bought a TV or I did that? Yeah, I can't.
Speaker 1: I remember when I first met I was buying a house and the real this realtor said I've got a job, and the reeltor said to me, don't buy it has no wait till look Tober.
Speaker 2: And I said why October? He said, that's when series start to get canceled.
Speaker 1: The actors who have bought houses start to have to.
Speaker 2: Sell their houses. Oh that's so dark dark, Yeah it is, But I did it too. I just the show that was then stayed on.
Speaker 1: I did the Drew Carry Show for like ten years, and that was my ticket in that was like like that sitcom.
Speaker 2: Those were different times though there was a multi camera sitcom thing. Yeah, did you ever work with Jetly? I did? I thought you did. I thought you did.
Speaker 3: What was some movie called War? So it was Jason Stadium and Jently?
Speaker 1: Right, because I remember having Gently on the Late night show and I had this thing where I was talking to him, and you know, he's quite a small guy, and I was thinking as I was talking.
Speaker 2: To thought, this is he's a really small guy.
Speaker 1: I wonder if I could And then my brain went, I wonder how many other guys thought that just before they went to hospital? You know what I mean, He's a pretty small guy. I could probably do. Were you ever drawn into that? That world, the martial arts world directly that because it's so like Asian actors are meant to do or or where meant to or that's where the work was.
Speaker 2: Were you pulled into that?
Speaker 3: That's why it's deliberately stayed away from it.
Speaker 2: Good for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't know if it was good for me. It was definitely in a good feeling. It's making it, it's making up it's made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: But I mean I did the same as well about you know, playing certain Scottish things. But you establish your individuality, establish her you are and I've talked to people about it before. It's like you kind of make a decision going, you know, I'm not going to do that. I'm not going to go that way. What about the driving thing though?
Speaker 2: When you do?
Speaker 1: Those movies are insane. I have two boys, so I grew up and I've seen.
Speaker 2: Them all a lot. I've seen you a lot in the movies, and you can drive. Is that you driving? Right? No? What? No? That's not you drive? No?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, First look, you have you have to give credit to all these amazing stunt drivers that I like, none of us are doing that, so it doesn't make any sense. Like it's like, you know, we are actors, right and that those type of Stunts's like you dedicate your whole life to do something like that, Like that is not something they didn't.
Speaker 1: Even like put you on in like an advanced driving course. Sure you did that, yeah yeah yeah. Can you drift a car? Yeah yeah, but not like that, yeah yeah, just to be saying yes I.
Speaker 2: Can, yeah, well you can.
Speaker 3: You can learn an hour really yeah yeah, it's not that difficult. You just have the right teacher, you have like an open track, and you have the right car, Like if you got like a Nissan three fifty es like the easiest car to drift, and then somebody can just teach you. You know, it's like it's not that difficult.
Speaker 1: Do you ever do it like like in La just like watch this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I mean I mean in the same area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course I understand differently, Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, but that's cool.
Speaker 2: But you are you a car guy though? You am? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what do you do you have like a giant shed like Jay with phil of I.
Speaker 3: Don't have a Carleno collection, but I do have a few cars. Yeah, yeah, I was today, I was just working on a nineteen seventy one to forty z at thoughts, and I'm in love with this car. Correct, Lally, I sell this way about a car, about a car before any or anything or anyone. You get a dog, yeah I got dogs? Yeah, wife, like.
Speaker 2: You have human connections with this car. I understand.
Speaker 3: Like I go before I go to bed, like I go out there and today even like I was, I was like, I think I'm gonna end up being late because I was just I put I put this carburetor heat shield. My friend in San Jose he specializes in these and he makes these parts of the car garage. And he sent me this heat shield because carburetor is overheat and there's like this vapor the gas starts to boil. So these old cars and they've all all had like heating issue or they have heating issues. And I put that on. And there's something about just touching, you know, these car parts.
Speaker 2: Like we don't do that anymore.
Speaker 3: Like I can't get anyvan over. It's like a you know, hybrid. I don't think I've ever opened the hood.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, not thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you smell the gas and then you look at the stance and you know, the car took about three and a half years to completely like you know, get mechanically running. So it's at my house and finally I'm like touching it every day, you know, and it's this like relationship.
Speaker 2: Like I talked to her, it's like a her. Oh it's her right.
Speaker 3: It's like she's constantly going, hey, come over and like, you know, hang out with me.
Speaker 2: I need this.
Speaker 3: This this is about to break.
Speaker 2: So that's well.
Speaker 1: I have a car like that too, just but I don't have many cars, but I have one car that.
Speaker 2: I like, Wow, that spit special? Is that it's a Morgan Plus four. Are you familiar with Morgan's.
Speaker 3: I don't know the Plus four.
Speaker 1: Well, it's basically just a two seater little British racing green Oh oh my god. And it's like it's it's two layers of engine and just nothing else.
Speaker 2: Just seats, two layers and go fast. What yours this car?
Speaker 1: It's mid nineties, but it looks it's a real kind of it's a real ratural.
Speaker 2: Look a Morgan. It's like it looks like it's from the thirties. Oh, it has that real kind of like.
Speaker 1: And it's still I think it's the last, certainly in Britain. It's the last, you know, privately owned car company.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It's there's a lot of wood in there, right yeah, yeah, they make the chass wood wood right Yeah. Yeah, that's that's that's a piece of art.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: And and sometimes I'll go I have it in because the weather's bad in Britain, even in the garage. I have it in something called a carcoon, which is like a it's like this big kind of see through plastic tent and you hook it up to the outlet and there's a dehumidifier, so it just like drives up the air all around the car. So it sits inside this little pod and inside the garage, and I go in and look at it in the pod, and it's just it's so clean looking, and if you open the air vent you can smell the oil coming out of there. I got kind of kick out of it. So what I'm saying is I understand, Yeah, you know it's British green is it's that's such a classy It's the greatest, greatest thing. So how did you get in the cars when you were a kid. Was that a thing down in Georgia?
Speaker 2: It was something that I grew up.
Speaker 3: I had a neighbor who let me hang out with him in his garage, this old Korean war vett. Okay, he and his wife never had kids. He looked like, you know, James Dean meets the fawns, like you know, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Like pomade, yeah, and the hair thing and then.
Speaker 3: White, you know, wear white T shirts and like roll.
Speaker 2: Up with the crete. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: He's always listening to like Beach Boys or something, and he was always working on this sixty three impalla. It's like this pearl with red and tear converted and he was restoring it, and so you would let me hang out with them and ask them all these stupid questions, right like why why do you got to do that? Why don't we put like thunderbolts in the car? And he's like, oh, yeam son, it's like back to factory and this is an SS and like what is that? It's like, you know, super sport, this is you know, like we're caretakers of these, you know, of history.
Speaker 1: And it's like, well, it's not wrong, you know, because it's our, you know, and it is our. I think that because I want a couple of things that are you know, artie and I think you know, and some of them are quite old.
Speaker 2: My god, well it's only.
Speaker 1: Mineful now, yeah, you know, it's not like I own it and it'll always be mine. I'll be mine until I'm done and then it'll be someone else's. Yeah, And it's kind of like, I don't know, I do quite like the vibe of that. Are you drawn to other forms of a static art as a fan, like paintings or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I paint to you do? What do you paint? Flowers? You paint in oils?
Speaker 3: Anything, acrylic, you know, like crayon.
Speaker 1: So artistic. I feel kind of embarrassed. No, no, no, because I'm just like, you know.
Speaker 2: It's just a d A d HD.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, you think that. Yeah, It's just I gotta I gotta be gott to be doing something. There has to be something coming out of me. Like in the morning, I have this notebook at at the breakfast table, and I'll just start writing stuff.
Speaker 1: I'll start drawing something that's really cool. Right, what about music? Does music do it for you as well?
Speaker 3: I've never been musically inclined. I've tried. My mother tried to get me to play the cello. I've tried to learn how to play the guitar and the piano. But something it doesn't click with me, you know like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I don't know why.
Speaker 3: I mean, I appreciate it, like I of course, when I see someone play like a piano or guitar outside, like let's say at the airport or like let's say at that you know, like like straight performers, those are the people that move me because they're there for passion. Yes, right, you know, they might make a few bucks in the hat or something, but I'm like, you're out here and you see their face, it's like they love this is who they are.
Speaker 2: They do right.
Speaker 3: Without it, they're gonna die, right. This is their fertilizers, this is their water. And I trip out and I just absorb and I'm like, God, they are so passionate. It's inspiring as a human being. Like you aren't out here because you love this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think they're see I know what I have in my life that does that for me.
Speaker 2: What's that stand up? No doubt?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, like when I when I do stand up, Like, I don't get paid for doing stand up.
Speaker 2: I get paid to go to your town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once I'm there, the stand up is free, but you got to pay me to go there. But once I get on stage, it's for nothing. And I get a sense of you know, I'm where the universe would have me be. And it gives me a say, it's a peace when I'm doing it. I know I'm good at it. I know that I that I'm meant to be doing. I just get to see a feeling of well being. Is that something that you get from writing? Is it something you get from being an actor? Is it like because I've heard actors talk about on a movie set sometimes they get that kind of feeling, you know that just gonna I'm where I'm meant to be. I understand everything, how it all works. It's all fine.
Speaker 3: I I think after that, after the Fast and Furious movies, right, and the the I guess the impact that the character han that I play, and.
Speaker 2: It's a legacy character.
Speaker 1: No matter what you do in your life, you it will always be in there somewhere, so they'll always talk about. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think when I, you know, after a few years of you know, being in that film and then you know, I'm like, you know, going around in America or you know, wherever I'm traveling, and you see what that franchise is like how it affects people. And I really dismissed it. I discredit I'm like, ah, it's the movie about cars, like who Cares? Just the popcorn flick like who Cares? And then after Paul Walker passed away, Yeah, I realized you felt like you were like, Wow, these movies actually mean something because you know, father and children, they went to these films, they grew up together.
Speaker 2: And one of them, right, yeah, and and.
Speaker 3: There are all these shared experiences around this film. I was like, I guess this is what I was meant to be doing. You know, it's like and certainly.
Speaker 2: Part of it. Yeah, it's and I and I think owning it like that, it's good. I think that.
Speaker 1: I think it's the same of maturity as an artist, when you go, I was wrong about this and.
Speaker 2: It actually is is important. Yeah. Do you ever see a movie called Sullivan's Travels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know when he's like, you know, and he's like, I don't I don't want to make selly comedies anymore.
Speaker 2: I want to make important movies.
Speaker 1: And then when he goes to that big tent and he sees everyone laughing at that, and he's like, oh, I get it. Yeah, it's it's like it's important to bring whatever you can.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I asked most people. That's just because I went through it with the drugs and alcohol and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Do you ever go through that?
Speaker 3: No, I can't drink, first of all. But I did have a lot of problems with cigarettes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get that.
Speaker 1: But see, I think with cigarettes, if you there's no nobody smokes cigarettes and it doesn't die problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, the cigarettes represent just me being in a bad place, me being like the press, me being anxious, me being insecure. Right, And I think if I wasn't allergic to alcohol, like I literally am allergic to alcoholic Yeah, me too, But you can drink past I mean no, no, no, no no, Like I started, like, you know, I don't I can't break down the alcohol.
Speaker 2: My mother was exactly the same. Yeah, so I became an alcoholic. Really yeah, my mother was exactly the same.
Speaker 1: She would like break out in this she ever tried it, she would get this huge rash and is that that's.
Speaker 2: What happens to me? So then then I gets sick.
Speaker 3: So I but I feel like if I could drink, I probably would have, like, you know, had some serious issues.
Speaker 1: You've got that vibe, if you don't mind me saying, really, yeah, you've got to kind of well would see.
Speaker 2: I like people who have got that vibe. I kind of like you. And I think you.
Speaker 1: Have that kind of thoughtful, kind of troubled kind of searcher anything. And I think that's a are you a religious person? You know about any kind of spirituality thing?
Speaker 2: Spirituality?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's I think it's kind of like a concoction I kind of created on my own of what that means to me. Like even prayer, Yeah, like you know, I always thought prayer was like you pray to God and ask from you, ask for a thing, and it really is yeah, it's not right.
Speaker 2: And then you know.
Speaker 3: These days like I pray like you know, like, oh, but I go, it's not praying and asking for something. It's actually just you know, expressing gratitude.
Speaker 1: That's a great prayer if you can get into that, that's I think gratitude for anyone, if you can find it in yourself, is a magic bullet, especially for some like depression or I'm not talking about clinical depression.
Speaker 2: I'm not a doctor. I don't know how to deal with that.
Speaker 1: But like the down feeling that that that's not inside that that kind of pathological spectrum, I think you gratitude can really.
Speaker 2: Help you out. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also I mean a friend recently open my eyes to like what I feel like my problem is right, there are times where I get so dark. Yeah, like you know, I can't get out of bed, and I can I can see how it affects the people around me that I love me, like my wife especially, and he's like, you know, it seems like you're always at your best. Like there's two versions of me. I call it like the JV version, right, and then there's this varsity like team captain version. And when I'm this version, I'm like great to be around, Like my career is great, like I'm productive, like you know, things are like actually moving, like my houses in order, like my cars all work right, actually right, they're not leaking oil just kind of I don't. They're just like you know, just like abandoned in someone's backyard, like you know, everything's kind of torque, if you will. And then this j JV version of me shows up and it's just chaos. Like I started getting weight. I started GV. Was that it's like junior varsity. You got the varsity team. It's like you know, the A team, and then you got B team and it's kind of half fast and everything. It's like, you know, everything's like uncapped, like you know, I'm just gaining a bunch of weight.
Speaker 2: I do that as well. Oh my god, And that gets worse as you get older, too, is it?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm sixty one though, Like I swear to God, if I if I look at like a potato I like gain a pound.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it's what it is, Well, I mean I don't even have to eat it.
Speaker 3: But but this Javi version is consuming things you shouldn't be consuming. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, you're just eating a bunch of shit and like.
Speaker 2: Just trying it. I talked to a friend of mine who was talking about zampic.
Speaker 1: And oh the weight loss time, yah, the weight loss drug thing, and he said he'd lost a ton of way. I said, did you do the zempic thing and he said yes, I did. I said, doesn't work? And well, he said, clearly it works. I said, what does it do? He says, well, it it just you just don't You're just not hungry. I went, dude, I haven't been hungry since fucking nineteen seventy four. I don't eat because I'm hungry. I eat because I'm sad. That's why eat. He said, well, I don't think it.
Speaker 2: Would work for you. Then you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's like there's always plenty of food around for me. You know, I know that I can get something to eat. I don't know how often I eat because I'm hungry. I eat because I'm like, yeah, we too. You want to feel bad. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's a comforting thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think, to be honest, then it's a deeper psychological problem than Ozampic's not going to touch it, so you don't need to waste your time with that.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, yeah, so I just it was so I have to run. I do that too, yeah yeah really yeah yeah right.
Speaker 2: I run treadmills now though, because I like to writing trademill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I run on a treadmill because if you like, if you go, oh I'm done, just get off in your home.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also when you get older, your knees and your joints and stuff, it's a lot easier just treadmills.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you can be consistent on a treadmill. Yeah, if you're outside of the way, there's also a reason why you can't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, treadmill you just go go away. Do you have a room in your house with a treadmill on it? No, See, that's what I do.
Speaker 2: Like do that. I'm thinking about doing that. You want to regret.
Speaker 3: I want to get away from the house and yeah, there's like a gym like two minutes away, and.
Speaker 2: You don't mind doing that? No, Well, then do that. That's fine. You don't need to listen to me. You got to touch that. Yeah, you're fine. Yeah, talk to me about your podcast. What do you do in your podcast?
Speaker 1: Because everyone has a podcast now it's like they like having a tattoo or well, it's kind of like this, this is what the podcast is very similar as like the reason you meet or.
Speaker 3: The you know, the connective tissue is like this, this this connective tissue with cars. Right, So there're like race car drivers, there's like car builders, or there's like we had John Oates who's a big car guy from all the notes.
Speaker 2: Right, it's like if you.
Speaker 3: Just love car, like like you know, like you're Morgan, it's like, hey, you actually understand like what that means to be a car dude to love his Morgan.
Speaker 2: I love that. And I have a couple of land Rovers to okay, those are great to yeah, I love those two. Oh my god, that's so cool.
Speaker 3: If you ever need yea, they said what years are you?
Speaker 2: Well, I have the twenty I think twenty thirteen or thirty fourteen.
Speaker 1: When before they stopped the old model hundreds, you know, when they started they lost the certification or the European Union said, you got to have to put in all this safety stuff, and they said, all right, so they have to change the home model.
Speaker 2: We'll have the last model before that, like eighties or it looks like that. Yeah, I want to get a Series one. I know where to go.
Speaker 1: I would not buy it in the United States, why because they're much more expensive here.
Speaker 2: Buy it in the UK.
Speaker 1: You'd buy in the UK and ship it and it would be cheaper than buying it here.
Speaker 2: And Dubai too, like they're super I think super cheap. Really in Dubai. I never been to Dubai. Yeah. I imagine it's a stop on the Fast and Furious two, though, isn't it. I've never been in there. You've never been to Dubai. Yeah. I have friends that come from Dubai and they're.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, the police cars or Baghetti Veyrons and stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean it's and stuff. Yeah, it's crazy. Yeah, do you ever.
Speaker 1: I did this thing once where I rented a Lamborghini Hurricane just because I was in LA and I said, I just because my son was really young. It was I think it was one of your fucking movies actually, and then he said, I went a Lamborghini He was only like four or five or something. So we rented a Lamborghini Hurricane, and then I had to go to work and the thing was sitting at the house at the weekend. So my wife had to go to Hole Foods and the only car that was there was the Hurricanes. She's like, she can drive in, and she's like, funk, I'll take that. So she goes to the Whole Foods in the Hurricane and she gets a grocery.
Speaker 2: She comes out.
Speaker 1: She started it up in the parking lot and it set off the fire alarm, the alarms and all the presses for.
Speaker 2: Such a great noise.
Speaker 3: Though, man, wow, well the horcus like the it's a V eight is it ten?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I guess, And it's big and it's noisy, yeah uh.
Speaker 2: And it rattles very crazy.
Speaker 1: And I remember I over it like I opened up a little bit on Hollywood Boulevard. It was just quiet, and there was some tourists outside the Chinese Deer and they just like.
Speaker 2: People teering and stuff because it's got the same as fun. But I would never do that now. Honestly, I have a question to ask you. Sure far away.
Speaker 3: I read that you after high school you went to an apprentice electrician?
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, why did you do that?
Speaker 1: I dropped out of school when I was sixteen, and it was there was a factory nearby and they were taking on apprentice electricians and I it was a job. And there was nineteen seventy eight and there was you know work, wasn't that There was a ton of it around, and it was Scotland and it was kind of To be honest, I think it was a bad thing I did, because there were probably other kids that really wanted that gig and would have seen it through.
Speaker 2: I dropped even out of that after two years. But did you learn how to? I can? You know? I can? So? Can you wire your car? Can you work now? Nah?
Speaker 1: But I mean I can sorder a little thing here and there. But maybe if the car is old, I could probably figure out. If I've got a schematic drawn or I could look at it, you know, look at the car, I can figure out. But all this new stuff with printed circuit boards and stuff and software, now, no, I like the older cars. Yeah, yeah, I could probably find my way around. I mean there would be a few shocks and disappointments along the.
Speaker 2: Way, but it's like that that's an amazing talent.
Speaker 3: Well electrician, Yeah, to be able to like wire your car like and being an electrician like I so because I have these old cars, right, you have to a lot of times hire like you have to have to electrician. Yeah, well a person like an auto electrician a wiring guy to come right and basically create you a wiring hardness for your car.
Speaker 2: Yea, I couldn't. I couldn't do that, for I couldn't put a wire heart.
Speaker 1: Look, if you're if you're looking for some cheap work, don't on your fucking car. You got the wrong guy. I can't do that. I really mess up your car. I can feel you angling for you know, you know what if you just come and look at it, it's just a kind of I don't know what it is, something on the fuse board or something. But no, I can't do that. I mean in an like zombie apocalypse. Yeah, if I've got like a nineteen seventy four f one fifty truck, I'll probably get it started.
Speaker 2: But that's it. Do you know what I think? How are you? Where are you emotionally with the electric cars? It's in it.
Speaker 3: It's I don't well, Okay, So I was so anti electric car. I don't have one, no, yeah, and I have no association with Hyundai. Okay, So but I went to Korea for this traveling car docuseries right right Auto Docu series, and I drove the ev All Evy Hyundai Ionic five N N series, which is like they're like R version, they're like if they're sports versions, all tricked out six hundred plus horsepower, right, and it has drift mode and it's crazy crazy six six hundred and it has fake sound. So you have options so if you want you go, you can like a hurrican. Oh wow, it has like backfire, it's like right, and it has these subwulfers under the back seat so it starts vibrating and you're all like and you know, and and the Sterioel looks like an F one race car and you can, you know, go to manual mode and you're like, you know, and it just you down shift and it's like all these people in the street like a holdups, you know, like this, or you can go silent mode and you know, grocer getter.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So I was blown away and it and esthetically the car is designed perfectly for anybody that is a car enthusiast right that loves cars. They they I think they had a focus group and go, what do you need in this car? It's like, well, I want the seats to look like Recardos, and so the seats look like they use Racardos, but they're factory. They're big enough so they're not all type, but they have that aesthetic. The steering wheel looks like an F one race car steering wheel right. And then and they asked me, They're like, do you have any criticism over this car? And I was like yes. It's like I'm really into cup holders, Like I drive a minivan as no iteen cup.
Speaker 2: American car design.
Speaker 1: They sit there in day one, black piece of paper, they draw a cup holding, then start building the car out from that.
Speaker 2: That's the way it should be done.
Speaker 3: But this car they're like, oh cup holder and go, yeah, where's the couple?
Speaker 2: Older?
Speaker 3: Come on, man, this is like you know this still I might have a family in here. It's like any couple they press this, butN it's like out of Star Trek it was, and it comes out and then you can get rid of it. So then you go like sports mode, right, beautiful. I think I just puted myself a little bit amazing. Oh my god, this car. And it's a very expensive right, No, no, no, no, no, come on, no, no, it's way cheaper than a tesla I think. I think by the time it glands in America. So this is the Ionic five is already here, but the N is going to be Ionic five N. I'm probably around sixty ish.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's in. That's where it is six plus horse power. I mean that Dame Boogie.
Speaker 1: I have owned an airplane that had half the horse power of that, a three hundred horse power, and that ship would go, yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: Six hundred feels like it feels like maybe too much.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, no, no no. And then they they they brought out their drift version with the hem RT and and then they had a like a you know, because it's like a soundtrack like you programmed to sound right, and so they had the drift sound in it where it's it sounds like a screaming lion right right, and.
Speaker 2: That it's like, oh my god, wait, yeah, how how does that work?
Speaker 1: If you know, if you say to me, hey, I'm having an electrical problem in my uh ionic find and Craig I'd say, I don't know that. Or if you go to an auto mechanic like anywhere, you know, it's gonna have to be someone who knows that you're talking about a piece of like as a computer, you know, So you're gonna have to go to it's gonna have to stay with the dealer and stuff.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be locked into. No, no, no, no. You think any garage would be able to deal with that.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like, so that's the same argument with the Tesla's right, yeah, But now there are these kids that, you know, the new generation of car guys.
Speaker 2: I suppose that's true, right, If.
Speaker 3: That's what they know, that's their car, so they hack it. They're like, we're gonna hack the computer. We're gonna you know, we're gonna we're gonna tweak it, we're gonna modify. So all of a sudden, opposed to like, you know, two hundred horse power like from factory or wherever it comes with it, it's like, all of a sudden, it's like, you know, tune to be like five hundred.
Speaker 2: Does it lose horsepower like a mechanical engine? I think I think like over time, you know, like a like is it a battery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure. Yeah, the battery goes bad.
Speaker 2: It's got to be right.
Speaker 1: But I mean, but you know, like if you've got an older car that like, even if you replace the battery, you're still going to lose horsepower just in the engine capacity.
Speaker 2: Mmm. I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I think so why Well, I don't know why, but I think that happens with an older car.
Speaker 2: We should look that up or maybe you know.
Speaker 1: What people will tell us, Yeah, they'll get because I know that these cars the batteries go bad.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you can buy the new battery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then the old bartery be goes into the ocean and kills dolphins. Yes, it does. So I see. I'm against the electric cars because my theory is this. You are against electric cars, okay, because we should use up all the fossil fuel. Let's get it done and move on. I think biofuel is the way to go. It's a sign problem. It's not an emotion problem. It's not a let's hold hands and sing problem. This is an engineering problem. We have to replace the fuel system that we have with a fuel system that's less that's less dirty. It doesn't cause you know a horrible mess. Yeah, and we already have the technology. There's biofuels, Yeah, we do. Then there's a system of delivering it. You know, there's tankers, there's pumps, there's cars that would vary.
Speaker 2: You remember you you old enough to remember that. She might be like when fifty one? Oh what yeah, fuck you man, you moisturizer or something. But I guess you would have to be for these movies have been around for a while. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, But anyway, what I'm saying is the system is in place for biofuels, and that's why I think we should go there.
Speaker 2: We could already. Do you know you can make diesel.
Speaker 3: O fucking anything, Yeah, cooking oil, old banana sci you know, anything that decomposes, you make diesel them. And there's hydrogen cars too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know enough about hydrogen cars, but they feel a little blowy up eat to me.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? No, Yeah, well hydrogen. What's the name of the what's another name for the Adam bomb?
Speaker 1: The Yeah, So nobody's making the No one's saying the biodiesel ball.
Speaker 2: No one's saying.
Speaker 1: The cooking fat you know, monster, it's not happening. So I I just think that that. That's my theory that it's not a frothy emotional problem. It's not even because all you have to do is make it economically exciting for the evil people.
Speaker 2: That run the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and all you have to do is say, well, by biofuel, surely, Yeah, they've got.
Speaker 2: To be working on. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a pushback now with the ev cars because you know, a few years ago it was like, oh, that's the answer to everything, and now all this information is coming out, so you know, I think people are like, hey, there's the balance, you know anything. And EV cars were like selling like crazy. Now there's like, you know, it's not yeah happens anyway, happens and everything. Yeah, all right, look we got no let's come have another one. Let's have another podcast where we will discuss alternative fuel strategies for planet Earth.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean it's kind of boring you next time. Thanks, Grect