Speaker 1: This is The EDS with Eddie Judge and Edwin ado Yab the Husband's Know Best two Teas production. Welcome to the EDS podcast.
Speaker 2: My name is Eddie Judge and I'm Edwin Arijave and we are the Eds. The better Halves of the Girls, you know, the other girls, those twats.
Speaker 1: I love digging them.
Speaker 3: Anyways, guys, we have a special treat for you today, our first guest ever.
Speaker 1: Do you feel special, Shane? I do, I do, but I don't know the format, so we'll find out well.
Speaker 3: Welcome Shane Simpson. He is married to the Real Housewives of Orange County star Emily Simpson. They have been married for fifteen years and they share three children, daughter Annabelle and twins son Kella, Keller and Luke.
Speaker 1: Did I get that right?
Speaker 4: That's correct?
Speaker 1: Yeah, awesome.
Speaker 3: Welcome Shane. Thank you so Shane, do you know Edwin?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we met in Vegas one time when we did a podcast for your wife. Oh that's right, well your wives, and on another occasion, I believe yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: I forgot that you were there, Edwin, because you showed up like for six hours and then you left.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, it's a good time.
Speaker 1: You guys it was fun.
Speaker 3: So all right, Shane, we're going to get to know a little bit more about you. I know a little bit about you, so this is gonna be fun. Then we're going to talk about, you know, married to a housewife, and then we'll get into the whole filming thing.
Speaker 4: Let's do they finally have a voice?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Well, just for full disclosure, this is not one of those housewives shows where we're gonna have to rip on another girl or get involved.
Speaker 1: With the drama.
Speaker 3: This is really just to get to know you and and talk about you and your whole experience on this show.
Speaker 1: So I know Edwin and I.
Speaker 3: Have been really just straightforward and sharing our experience. I've enjoyed it, and I think Edwin, do you enjoy it?
Speaker 5: Yeah? No, I love it. I enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it.
Speaker 3: Like you said, Shane, it's a great place to kind of use your voice and talk about your experience all the shit that they cut out that we wish they put on there, right, the fun stuff. So anyways, well, let's get to know you. Tell us a little bit about yourself. What were you like as a kid and growing up at home?
Speaker 1: Well, I grew up in southern Orange County and south of Orange County, and I have an older sister. So I have one sibling and she's an older sisters a couple of years older than me, but also growing up my two cousins that are siblings to each other grew up with us as well, so my parents were their guardians. So as a child, I pretty much grew up with three sisters in the house. That's that's my experience. And then I, you know, even though they were technically cousins. Yeah, and you know, I pretty much stay in Orange County most of my childhood and then all the way through college and now adult life, I'm still here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I bounced around a little bit, but for the most part i'd been in Lagunenaguel, Orange County.
Speaker 4: And I don't know.
Speaker 1: As a child, I think I was irresponsible and just didn't know what I was doing. And I think I got maybe lost in the mix of three girls in the house, and I was kind of on my own really, so not to say I was neglected, but just meaning I was just kind of doing my own thing and probably kind of drifting here and there.
Speaker 6: And Shane, I assume you were living in Orange County.
Speaker 5: I assume you you grew up.
Speaker 1: Affluent, meaning you mean well off, well off. Yeah, no, actually it was I think it was quite the opposite. My mother had two jobs. My father worked in uh I guess now back then you wouldn't call it that, but now you'd call it a startup. It was him in four or five buddies, and they were programmers. And I remember as a kid when people asked what your dad did, and it came to my turn, I said he was a programmer. No one really knew what that was, and it sounded weird and boring and I couldn't explain it. I said, oh, he does stuff on computers. And because this is in the eighties, right, yeah, right, so it was very early. In fact, my father, I don't know if it's interesting, but my father's computer programming had to do with telephone lines because there was no internet back then. Wow. So he was focusing on expanding telephone lines for businesses because that was the way of communication.
Speaker 4: So he was pre internet.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you were able to get multiple lines in the business exactly.
Speaker 4: That was the idea.
Speaker 1: And so he worked on that and I don't think he made a whole lot of money. I mean, certainly he was able to care for us all, but it wasn't anything exciting, yea. And not until you know, not until I'm growing up and moved out of the house. He Hell's company and you know, lives lifestyle. So that's funny.
Speaker 3: Last time we saw each other, I think well before the reunion, we were filming at a house and we were having a conversation about you living in Utah. I don't remember when that was. Was that when you were a kid or as an adult.
Speaker 4: When I was seventeen, I joined the Mormon Church.
Speaker 1: Oh cool? And then when I was nineteen, I made the choice to serve as church mission and so I spent a year in some islands called the Cape Verdean Islands, which no one knows where they are because they're really tiny on a map. I came home, and I lived in Utah for almost two years, just going to community college. It was really just to be socially with my friends who were going to BYU and doing bigger and better things. And then and then fast forward a little bit, married to Emily, and we were in Utah from twenty eight to twenty thirteen. Okay, so or recently. It certainly wasn't during call or anything. And Emily and I lived there for five years and it was pretty pleasant. We enjoyed it a lot.
Speaker 6: So Shane, to clarify, I think I heard this right. So your parents aren't LDS. You turned to LDS when you went to college.
Speaker 4: You're partially correct, it was when I was in high school.
Speaker 6: Okay, but your parents weren't, right, No, No, what did they grow up as well?
Speaker 1: My mother's from Iron and she came over here when she was in her twenties, which is in the sixties, and my father's from LA and so you know, he's kind of a mix. He's not don't really have anything interesting to go further back to LA and yeah, so that's LA definitely is a religion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a lifestyle.
Speaker 6: So your parents aren't LDS, your wife is an LDS.
Speaker 1: How do you deal with I'm the black sheep of the family, that's for sure, all right.
Speaker 6: So, because I assume you you don't a lot of I have a lot of LDS employees that I work with, so I know quite a bit and most of them don't well, I would say all of them don't drink.
Speaker 5: I assume you don't drink.
Speaker 1: No, I don't drink. I never had it. Even before that, I just never really had an interest in drinking. So have you ever tried it? No, I've never had a sip?
Speaker 3: Okay, wow, full alcohol?
Speaker 1: Virgin I am man. I'm a what do they call it? A teetotaler or something? You don't drink any alcohol? It doesn't sound very masculine. Hey, I'm good with that, Retta. I'm totally How does that work? Because Emily drinks, right, So she does when she goes out with some friends. But honestly, we don't have any alcohol in the house. And that's not that's not due to me or anything. It's just her choice. We just don't really have any She doesn't drink on a daily basis. So yeah, but you know, if my parents come over. My mother doesn't drink either, but I don't know what her reasoning is.
Speaker 4: She just never did.
Speaker 1: But my father drinks, and so, you know, it comes over, we'll make sure to host him. Awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 6: I mean, I love that you're disciplined to just continue on even though people around you aren't, because I know, I mean from the outside, you know, When I look at my friends that are LDEs, they're very strict with basically following the rules if you will, as far as you know, not drinking and you know, no coffee, I think as well.
Speaker 4: Right, that's right, no coffee or tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are there a lot of rules? Well, I wouldn't call them rules, although it makes sense why you would. It's really just a choice. So we're given, you know, some guidance, and you know, I like to say, I choose not to drink, and to be fair, I'm not really tempted to drink. So it's not like I have this overbearing, you know, self control. I just don't find an interest in it. So I actually come and those who maybe have fallen and you know, kind of live a sober lifestyle afterwards because they're much more in a position where they have to have that strong will personality and you know, and overcome the temptation. So those are the people to be commended. To be honest myself, it's just I just don't have an interest in it.
Speaker 4: So it's something more than that.
Speaker 1: Once you taste it, you know what happens. Yeah, that's why I don't drink an energy drink. It's because I'm afraid I'll be addicted. There's many times where I want one, but I'm like, no, I think I'll never be able to put it down, so I just avoid it.
Speaker 3: Well, let me ask it, is, how do you are you? Do you think you can resist sugar?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 1: Sugar? That's probably something I'm addicted to, And that's certainly something my father says everyone's addicted to.
Speaker 4: And yeah, that's probably that.
Speaker 1: Would probably be a much much harder thing for me to eliminate from my diet is sugar.
Speaker 3: I would beg to say that it's harder to quit sugar than it is to quit alcohol, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and probably because it's more it's more available, and it's just all around you, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's everywhere, I mean, and you don't have to wait till you're twenty one. I mean, you can get it at as soon as your parents give it to you.
Speaker 1: It too, right, right, and you could have it for breakfast too, right, exactly, healthy sugar.
Speaker 6: Now, is it true that you were Emily's boss? I think Teddy told me that you were Emily's bosston. You proposed to her on Google Chat or something like that sort of, So that story I mean that.
Speaker 4: So I worked in Orange County.
Speaker 1: We worked at a real estate firm that did a lot of financing for large developers, and I was starting to deal okay on my own. So I was starting to put together a team, and Emily was the first person I hired or was hired and then put on my team. And so we worked together. But we never spent a.
Speaker 4: Socially outside the office.
Speaker 1: We're really it was pretty pretty platonic and just you know, just a working relationship.
Speaker 4: And that was that for about a year.
Speaker 1: Emily moved let's see, she moved to northern California for some other you know, bad guy, and then so she didn't work with us anymore. And then later it was like a year or two later, my wife at that time decided to leave, and then I moved to Utah.
Speaker 4: We all moved to Utah together.
Speaker 1: So my wife at that time wanted to live in Utah, she moved up there, that's where her family's from. Rather than having more of an issue, I just moved up there as well, quit my job. Than Emily and I reconnected about a year later, and we spent a lot of time. Back then, there wasn't so much texting, So we were spending I was at the office, she was in an office. So we were always communicating on on a you know, Google chat, right, that was kind of a thing back then, and so we just we just talked about marriage on by way of chat. I wouldn't say I proposed to her, That's how she sees it, but.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'd like to do it.
Speaker 1: But how did you spend time together? She was That's a good question. She was in Colorado for an at that point she travels for I'm the last in the list, so she was in Colorado, so it wasn't that far. So if she'd fly out, I'd fly out. And we just spent a lot of time talking every day all the time. Yeah, and then you know, we had known each other by that time, you know, quite a few years.
Speaker 3: That's amazing because growing up I never thought he could ever have a long distance relationship. You know, like they talk about somebody who lives in Boston or New York and he develop a relationship. I do believe that there could be a connection, but I'm just the kind of guy that has to have my girl in front of me all the time, or you know, within the reaching distance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I would advise against a long distance relationship too resile. Yeah, but you know, with short lived I think if you want to call it dating, I think it was only that only lasted like six or eight months of whereind of where. Okay, we were kind of a couple, even though we never really defined our relationship. We just kind of naturally, you know, became a couple. And then she wanted, we wanted to get married. And then I think I expedited it because I said, well, we're going to get married us. We'll get married at the end of the year, so we could, you know, file our taxes as married, so practical.
Speaker 4: I'm very romantic that way.
Speaker 1: And I see where the lawyer's side comes in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So there you go, So that that's it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And at the time, I had two children, which I know you didn't mention earlier, but that's because they're typically not filming and so at that time I had a two to three year old and a six to seven year old, so I was occupied with them as well. So the long distance relationship, you know, I was I had my thing go when she was she was you know, working kind of living in a small town by herself, so it was a different situation.
Speaker 4: It just kind of worked out.
Speaker 3: So she had to come to you because obviously you couldn't up up your.
Speaker 1: Kids correct, correct, nor did I want to. And she she wasn't really grounded in Colorado, right. I think she enjoyed Colorado the state, but I don't think she was grounded.
Speaker 4: So she was quick to get up and move to Utah.
Speaker 6: Okay, so how old were you when you first got married?
Speaker 1: I was twenty three. I think, well that's young. Yeah, I was pretty young. I don't think I knew what I was doing.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, well that's a long time if I assume you were a virgin still at twenty three, if you were.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's correct. Yeah, let's get right out there and say it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, forty year old virgin. I mean twenty three. He was asking about the alcohol, but I know what he really wanted to ask.
Speaker 5: Right, So, how does so then you get a divorce?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Correct?
Speaker 1: Does that mean that ten years? Is to be clear, because I'm sure that was another question. Ten years you were married?
Speaker 6: Oh, I realized you were married that long, But no, the ten years, that's a long time. So now you're married ten years, you get a divorce. So do you technically have to wait until you get married to have sex again or you already had? Actually you don't have to wait or did you, like with you and Emily, did you have to wait till you.
Speaker 5: Got married to have sex again?
Speaker 4: It's again it's a choice, but yeah, yeah, wait for marriage.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's pretty awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well instead of calling I guess what did you call him earlier, Edwin?
Speaker 1: What did you call me?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: No, not him, but the whole disciplinary Like to me, it's rules.
Speaker 1: Rules.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounds like a self discipline. Yeah, that you just have to live by. It's it's not somebody else's lifestyle.
Speaker 5: That's that's the word. It's a lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, most certainly.
Speaker 1: I mean, and if you want to talk about discipline, I know mostly for the youth in our church. They the last couple of years, like once a year, they've been advising or challenging the youth to delete their social media off their phone for just a week, just a week to kind of get grounded once again, kind of connect in different ways. And it's my children did it. Obviously, the little ones it didn't matter, but my two teenage daughters at the time did it, and they had a great experience doing it, so they did it every year. They kind of just I mean it's only a week, right, It sounds like that's a big deal, but it was about a year.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: But anyway, it comes down to, yeah, discipline and making sure you can kind of control your your urges and your cravings and things like that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think that's such a valuable, valuable lesson. I mean, you agree, right when it takes a lot of discipline to be successful, in my opinion, and that's just a small part of it. You know, when you make a choice to not drink, you know everybody else is doing it, why can't I kind of thing? Right, you know, that's that's awesome. I wish I had that when I was young, but I had the opposite. Everybody was drinking around me, and even though I didn't like it, I tried it and I still didn't like it. Fortunately it didn't stick, so it was not one of those things that I ever really missed. But in the society we live in, having tasted alcohol, it's almost like it's everywhere, right in movies and when the Happy Times success, Hey, we just made a big deal. Let's cheer, or somebody dies or you know, they lose the war. Oh I need a whiskey or something.
Speaker 1: Right, it's everywhere.
Speaker 3: It's crazy how society just kind of influences you to do that lifestyle, which is very unhealthy in my opinion, drinking alcohol all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you make a very good point. Sugar is no different.
Speaker 1: I do believe, as much as I'm not wanted to preach because I'm not disciplined like that, but it's very much the same thing. You know, it's a comfort food, it's a go to you know. I mean, how often are we trying to teach our kids. I mean it's twenty four to seven fighting the kids to keep off of the sugar. So yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 5: Know there's the blinding of the kids coming together.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: You had two kids, and I did Emily have kids too.
Speaker 1: No, she didn't have any children. So when we got married, it was give or take. It was about tears old than seven years old, two and some change and seven and some change when they were when we got married.
Speaker 6: So yeah, and the seven year old obviously is old enough to know that it's somebody knew. Was it pretty easy for them to get along right off the bat or was that a challenge it?
Speaker 1: No, it was it was really easy. I mean, looking back, it could have been difficult, but I think it was. You know, I credit Emily a lot, and I always have that she really, you know, I lived in a house that just kind of had toys everywhere and just random furniture and you know, and I didn't really make it a home. And I remember when she came in, she really just cleaned it up and decorated the girl's room and she taught me a lot. And so I've always been grateful for that. And I think my daughter's probably gravitated towards her very easily because there was no female in the house. So maybe it made it easier for them to gravitate towards her because there was something missing.
Speaker 3: So this is probably a question for Emily. But was there any animosity between your X and Emily? Was it was it easy or was it difficult?
Speaker 1: There were there ups and downs, but I think, you know, from all the stories we hear of other people, unfortunately, I'd say.
Speaker 4: It was pretty easy.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, but that doesn't mean there wasn't their challenges or times of difficulty or differences of opinions, or maybe a little bit of stepping on each other's toes.
Speaker 4: I mean, those things still.
Speaker 3: Happen, so yeah, that's inevitable. So, Shane, can you believe it's been six seasons since you've been on the Housewife show?
Speaker 1: No, No, it's crazy. It is crazy.
Speaker 3: And from my perspective, I think from what I witnessed, the audience has grown to love you and Emily and your relationship. I mean, I know, like most couples when they're on the show, they don't tend to come off well, you know, it's like, I don't know if the show does it that way. I was lucky because our opening or our relationship was really well done in the beginning, and and we didn't, you know, we didn't have a hard time with it right, probably because she had enough drama in her life to deal with. But I've seen what happened to you on the show in the beginning, and it wasn't good. You know, it wasn't good for a lot of guys. So I think Emily said up Bravo con that the first season, the first few were very difficult for you or you were in a very tough place in your life. But do you remember what happened, you know, all the shit that happened to you.
Speaker 1: You mean, well on the show, I remember, But do you mean what happened in my day to day living. That made it difficult to navigate with the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because that's real, that's the real stuff.
Speaker 4: And there was that.
Speaker 1: There was There was a few factors that made it really hard to get through the first two years. One was, I guess, just the pressure that Emily gave on herself to, you know, to be open, to be out there, to try to build relationships with these women. So there's an element of stress to that because it's not like I'm tired, I've seen them. I'm going to give a week off from seeing my friends and I'll see them next week. You can't do that with the show, right You have to. You're on a schedule. You got to always kind of be engaged. So there was that. There was me having to juggle the home life so she could be out there filming while still maintaining a job. There was the concern, the real big concern I had of something surfacing that might upset my children, my two daughters, mother, and then that would trickle down into them and then maybe now they can't film, or maybe they're now being fed something, you know, some kind of misguided truths or exaggerated issues, and then that never happens on the show. No now right, And so I was fearful of I was really protective of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then so you can imagine what that said when you know Emily and I are bickering back and forth about what you know, I'm being more protective, don't don't say this, make sure you don't say that, and she's like, you know, get off my back kind of thing. So it was, I mean, in the end it ended up being fine. She did respect my wishes of you know, not just divulging all kinds of bad history with their mother or anything like that. But in the meantime I was really concerned about that. That was my big concern.
Speaker 3: Do you think it made your relationship stronger?
Speaker 1: I think so. I think, I mean, maybe we'd still be strong without the show. No one will know, but I think what it did is it allowed us to be more of a yin yang and we have a dependency on each other. Right, when the time comes for her to film, I just let her go, right, She goes on a trip, I don't bother her. I don't even check in on her. Isn't checking on me. She does her thing and I can focus on kids and work and whatever, and then when she gets back, we'll get back into place. Or when she's filming, you know, she knows that she'll she'll be with kids when she can, like on her days off. But I don't bother her when she's filming because I don't take it personal. I think in the beginning I might have taken it personal, and now I don't. Now I know she's doing what she's got to do to you know, pursue what she enjoys and to be a part of what she enjoys. And then when it's over, she'll be back part of the household.
Speaker 4: So I think we've and she appreciates now what I do.
Speaker 1: I think she didn't used to appreciate it, and I think now she realizes, My goodness, now when I got to go film where I got to go for a week? You know on the spot, Shane doesn't doesn't question anything.
Speaker 4: He just takes over.
Speaker 3: So what were you doing for work at the time, because I know you just became a lawyer recently right right.
Speaker 1: So I was practicing law in Utah. That was a that was a Utah license, not a California license. So then I come here, I can't practice law and I will was moved here, moved here under not so good conditions, moved here because of family reasons with their mother, and I don't honestly, I don't want to get into that because it's also a long time ago. But that was under really stressful situation circumstances. So then we moved here, So I have to juggle that. I took the bar once and everyone advised me not to because there was so much chaotic stuff going on in our life. Took it anyway, didn't pass obviously, set that aside, went and got a job as an investigator for an insurance company, and Emily was working as an attorney in an office, so she had a day job, so allowed me to take kids to school, pick up kids from school while she got to go to work, and then I'd work in the evenings if I had to miss out, and during the day. So that's what I did for quite a while. And then, as you know on the show, I was taking the bar again. So now I'm trying to study. And then this is where Emily doesn't realize, you know, filming is draining, and so when it's draining on her, like I can't just step I can't just step away from I'm supposed to do. It's a full time job, which is prepare to help you and to film with you, able to watch the kids or whatever. So it was really hard that way. I don't know if I answered the question, but that's what we're going through. The first did you.
Speaker 6: Did you ever feel like maybe a little bit of competition in that here you are studying for the bar, she's already passed it, you hired her, she becomes a lawyer first, and then she's kind of.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a little.
Speaker 1: I don't know if embarrassing is the right word, because that's a little strong word, but yeah, it's a little bit, you know, you feel a little inferior, you know, But I mean it's not to the point I've seen comments where people make it like I'm you know, like I'm completely i don't know what the word incompetent, yeah, or like I'm totally intimidated by her, like to the point where now now I'm just you know, acting out.
Speaker 4: But it wasn'tn't like that.
Speaker 3: You know, well, you know one of the things that the show failed to say is that you're already a lawyer.
Speaker 1: You know, it's not like you just started.
Speaker 3: It's minor details that they leave out.
Speaker 1: Right right right, and then the other details that you know, everyone thinks we just live off of you know, family money and this and that, and they don't understand them, and we're running around trying to juggle things just the same. Yeah. So, I mean, I know people have it harder and people have it easier, but we're running around, you know, we got stresses and this and that and try and make ends meet and make sure we got you know, five kids, provide for child support, was paying all kinds of things.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, And again the show portrayed your mom and dad are obviously well off. There was a lot of parties at their house, so it makes them look like, you know, they're supporting the entire family, from you to your sister, to everybody.
Speaker 1: It's just the way the show is.
Speaker 4: But it doesn't it doesn't always work that way.
Speaker 1: I mean, you don't just unload all kinds of is an open bank guard and do whatever you wish, you know, so.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I think there are some families like that in Orange County, honestly.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, but it's not, it's not everyone, it's not. It's not as easy as that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, hey, so is it true that you renewed your vowels last year?
Speaker 4: No, I mean on the show.
Speaker 1: On the show. Yeah, well no, Emily always wanted to renew the vowels, and I didn't want to because I think it's kind of I mean, our vowels aren't broken, so I don't really understand.
Speaker 4: That they're now broken.
Speaker 1: Don't fix them. Yeah, and then and then there's always like the you know, it's a sentence people say or whatever. You know, it's because of death when you renew your vowels, and the next season.
Speaker 4: You're broken up.
Speaker 1: So yeah, even though it's probably really just a superstition. But I didn't want to, and so we compromised. I shouldn't say we compromise, but we came to an agreement where she would at least get to be able to dress up and we'd have beautiful family wedding photos. We didn't really have very good wedding photos though. Now she got to kind of buy a fancier dress and kind of you know, kind of have flowers and this and that. So we did that, and then I gave her a ring because the ring we got at the time was pretty it was nominal. We just kind of rushed the store and grabbed a little something. It was mostly just a band, and so we got to kind of fix that. Hmm. Interesting.
Speaker 6: What's your what's your advice on having a successful wife and a successful marriage?
Speaker 1: Oh man, you're asking me, But you guys, are you have successes as well?
Speaker 3: We're in the same shoes as you, Shane that we were really excited to talk to you.
Speaker 4: You know, I think it's not well show or no show. I think it's not.
Speaker 1: You know, making issues out of the little things, you know, I mean, she leaves her clothes on the floor, so what right, she drank you know, she drank my last little bit of soda and didn't replenish it. So what Yeah, you got to really pick your battles.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: She leaves a toilet bowseed up, you know, right, yeah, she has Yeah, she when she shaves in the morning, there's all over the same. It's not worth it, that's the little shit. But I really think so when I think in the beginning. There was a few years where I probably was nitpicky on all that, and I just I just let it all go. It's just yeah, it's just it's not that it's not worth it. It's just it's not early an issue. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 6: So all right, let's get to the filming part. Enough about marriage. Tell us about when you first joined first season.
Speaker 5: Did you think it was a good idea or were you like, what the heck are we doing?
Speaker 4: No, I thought it was a terrible idea.
Speaker 3: Tell us what it happened. How did it happen?
Speaker 5: So Emily.
Speaker 1: Uh, We first moved here in twenty thirteen, and Emily was working as an attorney, but she didn't really enjoy it, which is fine, and you know, she was just wanting to do something different. She was excited to be back here in California. She wanted to be more outside and doing something, not behind it. I live across the street from my sister. That was kind of a coincidence, but obviously we chose to live here. So when we were moving here, it just the house opened up.
Speaker 4: It worked out perfectly.
Speaker 1: We moved here, so they became really close and they were spending time to get my sister's an attorney too, so they wanted to do something different. So bouncing around ideas, they came up with a party planning idea and they do.
Speaker 4: They throw parties. They love parties.
Speaker 1: Was it a business?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: They tried to make it one, and they kind of had some parties that they threw. And one of my things that Emily does is she was always trying to reach out. She reached out to Tamra obviously your wife, and said, if you need any parties thrown, we're here for you. And that was really a publicity thing. She thought, this will get me out there. And if you recall Eddie she threw the baby shower, Oh yeah, baby shower right or Ryan's daughter. Correct, Yes, I remember that now. And so her whole intent really was just to get a little publicity, little social media presence. Obviously, if she ended up being on the show, she was okay with that too, but that was not her intent.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Sometime passed later, sometime passed, she gets called up up She's like, oh my gosh, they want me on the show. And I'm like, all right, I don't remember what I thought back then, but she does an interview and never hears anything ever again.
Speaker 4: Right, she does a skype interview and that's it.
Speaker 1: She thinks, oh my gosh, because she was up here thinking, oh, I'm going to be on the show, and then they never call her back. Oh, but you and I now know it's a lot more than just a simple skype interview.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, she was kind of bummed about that, but she moved on. She really didn't. It didn't phaze her much after, you know, a couple of weeks of being bummed. Then I think two years passed and they called her out again. They called, they reached out to her again, asked if she wanted to audition. She said yes, But now she learned that's not enough. There's obviously more layers to it. And I at that time, I thought it was a bad idea. I think the first time around, I didn't have much of an opinion. Yeah, the second time around, I thought, no, this is not good. And we was kind of going through you know, she was hitting forty, so she was getting all self conscious. We're juggling a lot of finances.
Speaker 4: Kids.
Speaker 1: We just had three little kids, you know, two twin twins that were probably less than one at the time, and then Annabelle. That was two my daughters, you know, were all over the place trying to juggle their schedule. So I was opposed to it. Yeah we didn't fight, but I was. I was strongly opposed to it. And she kept doing the thing, Oh it's just one interview, you never know. Then she'd get invited back for anothernew and I'm like, this isn't looking good. She goes, oh, it's just another interview, no big deal. And it kept going on and on and on until she said she was on the show. And so I was very, very concerned about it breaking our family apart.
Speaker 6: Now, were you comfortable with the cameras once you got started.
Speaker 4: Or yeah, I don't care about the cameras.
Speaker 6: I can't.
Speaker 4: I can't take this show seriously, you know, the.
Speaker 1: Cameras come in and Emily's all dressed up making me dinner. I'm like, come on, this is you.
Speaker 4: Don't do this.
Speaker 1: You're in bed on your phone telling me to order something. Oh god, So how can I sit there and not make a comment. Right, I'm not going to play along, you know, and just my mouth shut and act like everything's fine.
Speaker 4: In day I'm going to point it out so funny.
Speaker 6: Now, my wife was telling me, you have a sarcastic sense of humor. How did that trend? How do you think that translated in reality TV?
Speaker 1: That no, terribly, terrible, terribly because it's like I make a comment and then it's like edited, So there's crickets, you know, yeah, everyone that's like well. And the thing is, Emily really had a hard time with the comments that people had. You know, oh my gosh, they they hate us whatever they said, and I had to try to convincemently, look from what they saw. Yeah, it was from what they saw that was a comment.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but that's not what really happened.
Speaker 1: You have to keep that in perspective, Emily, that's not what really like we know more so let's leave it at that. Don't be so quick to just go off of what you see on TV yourself.
Speaker 6: You know, I.
Speaker 3: Can't agree more with you because I've had so many conversations with Tamra about that same exact situation. What really happened is what really happened, And who we are is who we are. What people post on social media, especially those that live in their basement and don't know what the hell they're talking about You know, you can't listen to that garbage. And if they believe, truly believe what they see on TV to be real, you definitely can't take them seriously.
Speaker 1: Right And in addition to that, don't fault them too much if what they if they're basing it on what they saw, right, if they're basing it on what they say saw which is not the full you know scene, Yeah, then just let it be.
Speaker 4: You know, you don't take it so personally.
Speaker 5: To defend you.
Speaker 6: I just I haven't watched the first season, but it sounds like people went after you.
Speaker 5: Did Emily have to defend you at times?
Speaker 6: Or do you feel she defended you? And well, I don't.
Speaker 1: I didn't need her to defend me, but she felt the need to run around and be defensive.
Speaker 4: But I was okay with it.
Speaker 1: You know, Well you got you, Edwin did? Did Teddy did? Did Edwin? I mean?
Speaker 3: Did Teddy ever have to defend you?
Speaker 5: Oh? I just stayed. I just stayed quiet.
Speaker 6: I knew that if I opened my mouth I'd probably get in trouble, so I just try to stay as quiet as possible.
Speaker 1: Oh I did too, But you know, I'm sure they were nice to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what about the audience, you know, because one of my first experiences, and I think we talked about this already, is that the audience sometimes will go, well, your eyes aren't brown enough, or your hair's too short, or your hair is too long, or your eyes are too white. You know, it's just you never make everybody happy. But that usually prompted or even even worse is when the other housewives come after you for no reason, you know, because they're trying to get to your wife.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: That happened to me a lot, because my wife can totally defend herself, but when they started attacking me and she's like, well, what the fuck you know?
Speaker 1: Or her kids? You know, that's totally and I'm going to guess for you, Eddie that whoever it was, we don't need to have names. But they poke at you try to get a reaction, but you're a little bit more self composed and calm, so you don't. You're not quick to react like some people we know, right, So that makes them poke even more and more and more. You know, you're right trying to get a reaction because otherwise they kind of look stupid if they're saying something about you and you know, you keep it cool, then they kind of look stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go on Twitter to check out the comments.
Speaker 1: Oh all the time. I don't comment. A couple of times and then I stopped. I don't comment, I don't intervene, I don't pose. I don't do anything publicly because I don't want to disrupt like the housewife world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I do.
Speaker 1: I do get a kick out of what is filmed unedited, what the show chooses to put on the show, right, what the producers choose to put on the show, and then what the viewers pick up. I think it's I think it's actually pretty fascinating. Yeah, yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 4: A fascinating sense of just a form of entertainment.
Speaker 1: I get to see what, you know, what the party actually look like, what the women said or I said, what the producers choose to show, what they find to be of interest, and then you know, then you get your mind blown because the viewers pick up something totally different.
Speaker 3: Right. So yeah, well you probably already answered this question, But did you ever feel an instance where you had to step in or had to, you know, defend your wife because she's arguing with not just you know, another housewife, but maybe one of those male housewives that get.
Speaker 1: You know, No, I actually don't because, uh, I mean, if anything, I defend the other people against my wife, I sh'll attack anyone.
Speaker 4: She is lethal.
Speaker 1: You're terrible, terrible. No, she doesn't need anyone, she doesn't need anyone to speak for her. That's true. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: No, I I you know you witnessed it. We were just talking about it this season. We were talking about, you know, getting involved, and we were sitting there at the table and I had just conversed with you about this, and then it starts and my wife goes, you know, head to head with Ryan and I'm like, you now, and I haven't told you this, Edwin, but because who he had just talked about not getting you know, involved with the fights between my wife and another cast member or another person.
Speaker 1: But I had to. I had to.
Speaker 3: I lost my cool and it was not good.
Speaker 1: It was membership.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say you lost your cool. I would say you you spoke up for yourself. Those are different.
Speaker 1: But I was actually pissed.
Speaker 3: You know. I never get emotionally involved with this show. And when I walked away that night, I'm like, what the did I.
Speaker 1: Do, why did I get so emotionally well, in a couple of months, you'll be able to relive it, So yeah, I know, so wait till you see that Edwin. It was a moment. Yeah. Oh man. Does it ever upset you that Emily isn't in the drama or are you used to it?
Speaker 5: I now?
Speaker 3: Like, I mean, what I've noticed is in the last couple of years is that she's really stepped it up, like she's just getting in there. And and especially when she's filming with all the housewives, she doesn't she.
Speaker 1: Doesn't hold back. She kind of reminds me of my wife.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think she's.
Speaker 1: She'll she'll credit me for this, but I don't know if that's completely it. She'll One season she was going to be on and it was like two seasons ago or something, and she had a lot of reservations, and I said, just go on, like it's your last season. Just do whatever you want to do. Don't worry about trying to say what is right or what people want to hear or see. And that helped her. That was a good season for her, and she was very happy and then she enjoyed it and she got close to Tamra and the other ladies, and so she felt more confident. And then I think another I don't know, another season or two. I can't keep track. She was like that, and so she was just being herself instead of worrying about how something looks. And so I think her confidence has increased. Not off cam, off camera she has a lot of confidence, but in front of the camera, I think she has more confidence to just be yourself, to speak up, to call someone out on something, or to explain herself on something, or defend herself or.
Speaker 4: You know, in all those things.
Speaker 1: So I think that's what you're speaking about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And does the show ever hurt business at all with both of you guys being lawyers or does it actually help it?
Speaker 1: Well, Emily's not practicing anymore now that I'm working full time. She's at home, and which is nice because you know, she's able to connect with the kids a lot better.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I mean I've gone I go to hearings and and uh, you know, attorneys come up to me and stuff, but they're all everyone's nice, so it's all fun. Do they ever want to take a picture with you?
Speaker 4: I've had I've had a judge. Yeah, be a little really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that is so cool.
Speaker 3: I was gonna ask you about that, like, what what is your life now?
Speaker 1: Actually, actually, all the all the men always say, oh, can I get a picture for my wife?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't like that one either.
Speaker 6: Well, speaking of that, I hear your your reality that you love reality TV?
Speaker 5: So what which show which?
Speaker 6: What's your favorite from all the from the franchises with Real Housewives?
Speaker 1: Uh, Emily and I used to watch a lot of ninety Day Fiance. We like the train wrecks, you know, the Team Mom, ninety Day Fiance.
Speaker 4: You know, I think we watched Sister Wives for a while. To be honest with you, the last last probably two.
Speaker 1: Years, we haven't watched any reality TV. Yeah so but yeah, oh yeah, we binged all that stuff. We'd watch all that stuff. That is a fun fact. I didn't know that about you. Yeah. I can't stand reality TV.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 1: I just can't watch it. I think I think we watched less now because it I don't know, we just we have a different perspective of things, so maybe we don't watch it knowing that's not entirely complete or things like that. So yeah, maybe that's kind of cause us to lose some interest.
Speaker 6: But here's what do you think would your mom ever be a housewife or a friend of.
Speaker 1: She pops up on the show and she's very happy to get dressed up and come because she loves to you know, she loves to dress up. She loves to have be around women that are all dressed up, and she loves that environment. So when Emily wants to film something, she is front and center ready. She is adorable. Yea, I just love your mom.
Speaker 3: She's super, super cute and so sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, I have her energy level is really low, so to be a housewife, I don't.
Speaker 4: Think she could cut it right now.
Speaker 1: She's you know, she's seventy nine right now. Yeah, yeah, she's over it.
Speaker 3: She's like nothing bothers me. I have a question for you, Shane. I know that in my experience, it's hard to really or it's been hard to really connect with any of the other house husbands on this on this kind of experience on this network. Have you had any good experiences bad experiences with other house husbands, Like have you been friends with them or thought you might be able to hang out with them outside the filming.
Speaker 1: I know, sometimes I'll mention it Emily, like, hey, why don't we go out with like Tamer and Eddie and stuff. But you know, with the filming being so intense, and then when they're off, when they're done filming, I mean, there's no disrespect to you guys, but she's just like, you know, like, oh her, She's like, I've seen Tamer every day for the past four months. Yeah, and I'm like, well, I have it, you know. So she's just like not in the mood to go out to dinner. And then there's the element of, you know, off camera, if things are shared and they're not really supposed to do that, and I think Emily tries to respect that.
Speaker 4: I mean, no one, no one's perfect on that.
Speaker 1: We know that, but I think she tries to respect that. So she's like, I can't really go out to dinner with Tama right now. And you know, they chat though still, but yeah, so that kind of is a disadvantage for us guys to kind of hang out because I'll say, let's let's double date with Tamara and Eddie and then she's like, well, you know, I can't really hang out right now, and you know, reunion's coming up in a month. We probably shouldn't hang out things like that.
Speaker 3: Well, you never know when they're going to be getting along or.
Speaker 4: Not right friends this season, no right.
Speaker 3: I'll never forget when I think David finally divorced Shannon, my wife, you know, because Shannon is really good about planning seeds and my wife, my wife said something bad about David. So next day, I know, I get the message from David. It is like, bro, I can't be friends with you anymore because your wife is you know, talking.
Speaker 1: Shit on me.
Speaker 3: And that was actually bummed because I like David. We hung out all the time, we did Spartan races. He was the only guy that I've ever spent time outside of the show with.
Speaker 1: And I guess if you if you hung out with David, it's going to throw everything for a loop. Yeah, because now these women are going to say he said this, or did he say this? Or why are they hanging out and all these things. That makes it hard for you to go out and you know, have a drink and then come home and be done.
Speaker 3: With Well, it's because exactly that, Shane. When we were together, we didn't talk about the show. We didn't talk about, you know, this whole drama that's going on. I think that's what really allowed us to connect on a on a friendly level, right, a real friendship level, outside of the things we had in common, you know.
Speaker 1: But that's that's where.
Speaker 3: I When I meet a guy on the show and all he wants to talk about is the Housewives show, I'm like, yeah, dude.
Speaker 1: I'm not hanging out with you.
Speaker 3: You know, you're either fishing or there's you know, you're up to something right, right, right, But.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes it hard to hang out then, right, because you got a joke. You got to navigate that, yeah. Yeah, And same thing with Tarama.
Speaker 3: She she hasn't said this specifically about any housewife, but it's very obvious that once she's done filming those four months, the last thing she wants to do is get all dressed up and go out and have dinner and and and for that matter, what else are the girls going to talk about when they're on the show.
Speaker 1: They're going to talk about the show, right and reships?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's almost inevitable, like I don't want to talk about this for months, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Don't want to deal with it.
Speaker 4: So I get it.
Speaker 1: I totally get it.
Speaker 6: Did you ever, Shane, did you do you ever regret saying anything on the show that you kind of look back now that you've been on it for six years and you're just like you watch season two or season one and you're like, oh, I wish I wouldn't have said that, or.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm sure at the time when something aired, it was like I probably shouldn't have said that, but not really, I don't really care. I mean because I do control myself. I don't say anything inappropriate to you know, about my wife or children or anything like that. And I don't get involved with the other ladies. You know, I don't know them enough to sit there and start to just have a conversation with em lane judge them. So if she wants to download to me, you know what happened with her when she went to on a trip or whatever it is. You know, I'm more of a listener, and I'll just try to be a voice or reason for her.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Do you remember they used to take us out to dinner and do that whole download thing. Now they just do it at your house for free, that's right. Yeah, such bullshit, And I'll never forget the first time that we did that, my wife is like, stop eating. I'm like, whoa is this reality?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: But you look like an idiot. You got food in your mouth.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't care, I'm eating. We're at a restaurant, at a restaurant, and.
Speaker 3: She says, well, the sooner we get all the points out, the sooner they leave than you can eat.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, I get it now. Yeah.
Speaker 6: By the way, we saw. What we have to ask him about is the Instagram thing that we saw with jay Leno where you look like Tom Cruise.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, there hairback.
Speaker 1: That was How old were you? I was nineteen. How'd you get on jay Leno?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Well, you asked about my child, and I didn't really show as far. I was a huge talk show fan, okay, so Letterman mostly and then Carson a little bit, but it was we were my friends and I were huge Letterman fans. I mean I recorded, you know on a VCR, right, I had record every night because my dad wouldn' let me stay up and I'd watch it the next day. So, and we'd talked about it at school and that was our thing. In fact, in about that time, in the early nineties, we had a TV show. We converted our garage to look like a nighttime talk show and we built a set. We had cameras, we hooked it up to a computer, if you can believe. We did that in the nineties, and we played it on public access like Cox Cox TV. Yeah, it was on every Thursday night, right, and so we did that. Never got anywhere, but that was pre YouTube, so we were huge. We were huge late night fans. So Letterman being in New York, that wasn't going to happen. And so I wanted to go to Leno and so we went to Finally we went to Life. So I was gonna go to my church mission that year. So I was like, I got to go see Leno before I leave. And so I went with a buddy and stood in line and then they, you know, they pass out these cards like, oh, there's a game where they're doing like a midnight confession or something like that, and so I wrote, So I knew I want. I knew I had to make up something silly to get on. So I made up that story. And I don't have a younger sister. I never peed in her bed and all that stuff, right, But I thought that was I thought that would get me on the show, and it did. Genus. So then they came up to me. I guess, I don't know. They came to me and they're like, hey, you know, we want you. We're going to pick you. And I'm like all right, you know, and then they put me in the audience. They you know, they strategically place you where the cameras will be, and so I did that. But the fun part that Emily didn't post was I got to sit on the late night desk. I got to go down there and sit at his desk with Leno and I got my picture taken. So I remember there was a gentleman that was there and I was talking because you're sitting in line for hours. So I was talking to this guy and he's like, guy, I come all the time, and so I was asking everything about it because I was I was like, you know, starstruck right just being there. And he was like, yeah, you can see you know, if you asked, they'll take a picture and you can go sit at his desk. I'm like, really, goes, oh, yeah, we'll do it. So I when Leno came out, I raised my hand and I asked if I could do that. I remember everyone sitting next to me thinking that that was disrespectful.
Speaker 4: How dare you?
Speaker 1: Don't you know that? Yeah, like it was sacrilegious to go sit at a desk. I was like, screaw you, I'm gonna ask so Leno inviting me down. He took a polaroid right because there were no phones back there, so he took a polaroid and I still have that polaroid today, So that's awesome.
Speaker 6: Style. You had some Hollywood looks and back when I saw that, if they would have asked you to be an actor, would you have still gone on your mission?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I was pretty committed.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean, I asking an actor is far fetched, that would never happen, But I get your point now. I was pretty committed, so that's awesome. I was also very lost at that age.
Speaker 4: I didn't really know what.
Speaker 1: I knew. You're supposed to go to college, but I didn't know what I wanted to do. So going on a mission really kind of gave me some guidance.
Speaker 6: But seriously, I think if you would have been that age now, you probably would have been a huge YouTube star.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we definitely would have done YouTube stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't know how big would be, but we definitely because you know, we had to literally record everything old fashion even had we had to get a three quarter deck, which no one knows what that is, and we had to do all this stuff to try to make a We actually went around town and would record stuff. Then we'd spend hours editing hours on old Fashion. Finally we thought, how what this? We can't do it like this, So then we thought, let's do it like a real show. Let's just build a set in our garage and film for thirty minutes, you know, have guests on, which were just local people, and then we'll just go drop it off at the Cocks, you know, headquarters in Orange County, and then they aired it every Thursday. So that's funny.
Speaker 3: You know, that had to have been That had to have been like a nightmare because when I record on my go probe, my rides and stuff like that, it takes hours to put that together. And this is all digital. I can't imagine what you had.
Speaker 1: To do with the VCR.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a lot of rewind, pause, record.
Speaker 4: It was miserable. But that's all we knew.
Speaker 1: That's all we knew. That's true. That's true.
Speaker 3: I'm sure in the next ten years, AI would just do it for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: AI will create some housewives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we won't need people anymore.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Shane, we can't thank you enough for being here. Seriously, yees knocked it out of the ballpark.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, with all that said, we should definitely get together and go out for sure.
Speaker 3: For sure?
Speaker 1: Do you have anything else do you want to share with us, Shane? I really I want viewers to know that I really do. I do enjoy the show. A lot of people think I don't want to be on it, but I mean I don't necessarily want to be on it, but I enjoy my wife being on it.
Speaker 4: I really support her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm really proud of her for, you know, being open and honest and growing and building relationships with the ladies and you know, working toward you know, resolving their issues and all that. And so you know, I'm I'm a big supporter of the fans. I'm a big supporter of my wife. So well, we all have our fixes and a lot of there's a lot of Bravo people out there.
Speaker 3: So well, again, thank you so much for being our first guest. It was awesome. I appreciate you. We'll have to get together.
Speaker 4: It was an honor. I appreciate being asked.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Shane, mm hmm