Speaker 1: Hello everyone, It's Wednesday, May twenty first time Amy Roboc along with my partner TJ. Holmes, and as we record this podcast, it is another day of testimony. It is underway in the Sean Diddycombs trial that's happening just a few blocks from us here in Lower Manhattan. And yeah, we are in the full swing of the second full week of testimony in the Diddy trial. And as we've been doing here on this podcast, we're going to update you on the latest full day of testimony that's already in the books. And yesterday's full day, how would you describe it, TJ?
Speaker 2: It included testimony about viagra pills that Sean Combs took that were in the shape of President Obama's face. That's what yesterday was. That detail came out. So guys, the word that's another day of doozyes on the witness stand. We're talking about such serious stuff, but we got so many details like this, little details that were just kind of mind blowing. But the main people understand, yesterday you had a Homeland Security agent, you had Casie Ventura's mom, and then you had this male escort who goes by the name Punisher.
Speaker 3: All of them were on the stand.
Speaker 2: So I don't know how you go about this stuff is it's heartbreaking, it's difficult to hear, and it's jaw dropping.
Speaker 3: Well someone makes you scratch you. Hey, we'll get into this later.
Speaker 2: But yes, viagra pills in the shape of President Obama's face.
Speaker 4: How they were ecstasy pills?
Speaker 1: I think it's ecstasy pills in the shape of Barack Obama's face.
Speaker 4: But there were so.
Speaker 1: Many pills and drugs, and they called it medicines. He had a medicine bag filled with all these pills. And I think a lot of people were taking these pills and didn't even know which ones they were taking. That's viagra and ecstasy all in one.
Speaker 2: That detail is just wild. Why do we have Why is anybody making pills in the shape of president?
Speaker 1: I had to read that in a couple of different publications to make sure I was reading it correctly.
Speaker 2: See, we're caught up on that. That's not even the that's not the biggest deal in here. But you're learning these things about the life, the lifestyle, the world. We've talked to a lot of people said, this is a different world. You cannot even begin to understand. Once you get in this guy's orbit. So we got a lot about that yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's all unraveling in a courtroom for the world to hear. And I think there is a collective jaw drop just from every day what is trickling out. But yeah, the day started with David James, the former assistant to Diddy.
Speaker 4: And he described what his job was.
Speaker 1: It was basically to make sure the environment surrounding Diddy was exactly as Diddy wanted it, and that included prepping hotel rooms for him before these freakofs took place. And he said he had to make sure there were forty different types of skin care products available for Diddy in these hotel rooms. He had to make sure that there was fresh underwear.
Speaker 3: Like what other kind would there be?
Speaker 2: But yes, they say fresh fresh underwear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just because you know you might need like multiple need a change you Oh my goodness.
Speaker 4: And that's just ew iPads slides.
Speaker 2: Maybe he likes hokahs like I do. Yes, his shoes he had to have a particular pair of slides in there.
Speaker 4: Apple sauce.
Speaker 2: Now that got me. I fell the detail later, like, okay, that's his snack of choice.
Speaker 3: And you like it. Maybe it has a lot of sugar.
Speaker 1: It helps recharged when you're in a four day sex spreakoff party.
Speaker 2: But the attorney said later Sean Diddy Combs likes to put apple sauce on his cheeseburgers. Okay, that detail came out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's what.
Speaker 1: Jello Fiji water, not just any kind of water. And yes, this medicine bag that we were just referencing with up to forty different pill bottles, including meds to increase his sperm count. And yes, some of the pills did have Obama's face stamped on it.
Speaker 4: I read ecstasy, you read viagra.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was both, maybe it was a little I don't even understand what that's all about.
Speaker 2: Does it matter? I really have that question. This is a freak off and Obama's face is in the pill bag?
Speaker 3: What is this?
Speaker 2: President Obama deals with a lot of stuff, a lot of heat from Republicans, a lot of criticism. This has got to hurt worse than all of.
Speaker 5: It associated with this way to say keep my name out of your mouth, keep my face out of your mouth.
Speaker 4: Basically is what.
Speaker 2: That was, which can mean a whole lot of things.
Speaker 3: We talked about free cast. This is insanity.
Speaker 2: So yes, we're hung up on that detail for weird Rea, but yes, you can't help but think.
Speaker 3: What was going on in theess?
Speaker 2: All right, the David James, the assistant and can you have you seen how old is this fellow?
Speaker 4: He looks like he's in mid.
Speaker 2: Okay, so a really young at the time, he was probably his early twenties.
Speaker 5: Yes, many years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was one of his first jobs.
Speaker 1: I think he was, you know, went in for the interview, gave I I think there was a report that he said he repeated back one of Ditty's wrap lines to him and that got Diddy to say, you know I want you So.
Speaker 2: How exciting must it have been for this young kid say I am working for Sean Combs. How exciting was that? And this is the stuff he ends up doing, buying baby oil, condoms and lubricants. Now, he bought a bunch of stuff for these parties, but in particular when it came to the baby oil, to the condoms, to the lubricants, the astroglad and all that stuff, he said he was not reimbursed by the company. He was paid cash out of a Louisvuitton bag that did he like to carry around. But the other things medicine and snacks things, I guess that look more official on a receipt that he actually was reimbursed from the company Bad Boy. So even that detail, as you know he was thinking about somebody was thinking about keeping things separate.
Speaker 1: Yes, and to that point you ask, why do all of these details matter. I mean, yes, they're salacious, Yes they're headline grabbing, But what the prosecution is actually doing is trying to establish that racketeering charge that they have against Ditty, which would require that they.
Speaker 4: Show he had people doing his illegal bidding.
Speaker 1: We even heard James testify that he went to a yacht in Santrup. How do you say it, Sentrope, Yes, I'm sorry, Sanrope, to go get cocaine off of a yacht to bring it back to Ditty. So he's talking about how he's having him go do massively illegal things for him.
Speaker 3: This is your job.
Speaker 2: I mean you kind of your heart goes out. Yes, he's a grown man. He could amaze a decision to say I'm not doing this. But we talk about just how iconic, how powerful this guy was. Can you tell him no, are you going to give up an opportunity to work for this guy, to make it in the industry, just for the sake of you know what, I'm not going to go pick up your cocaine.
Speaker 3: I quit.
Speaker 2: That's hard to think a twenty something year old kid would do. So I know there's a bit criticism, but that is part of the story. They didn't feel like they had a choice. So many people in his world, including Cassie, including its assistance.
Speaker 1: Until he said he absolutely feared for his life. And that was when he saw he testified that he saw. Did he grab guns and rush over to some diner because some of his inner circles saw apparently one of his RAHP nemesis, sug Night, sug Knight, And he was in the car with him and thought, what am I doing? What is happening right now? And that's when he realized he was in. I don't know why that took him to realize that he was in way over his head, but he wanted out after.
Speaker 2: That, so he's gotten I couldn't imagine that all these years later he'd be sitting up on a stand testifying to so much of what he saw. I was expecting another witness yesterday, of course, Regina Ventura. Cassie Ventura's mom, Cassie, of course, the ex of Diddy, who spent four or three four days on the stand testifying to what she went through in her relationship Regina. The mom took videos, excuse me, videos and of her daughter's injuries that were leisurely caused by combes. I was expecting Rome's a full day of testimony from her, and she wasn't up there very long. But the time she was up there, she gave some pretty damning testimony.
Speaker 1: It was impactful and she absolutely corroborated what her daughter testified to last week. But she talked about we thought this was an interesting word that she used. She used the word memorialize. She said they took the pictures of Cassie's injuries bruises on her back, on her shoulders, to memorialize the injuries she says, her daughter sustained from Ditty and it's just see the pictures everywhere.
Speaker 2: She also Telfia, I mean, you have two daughter, You're a woman with two girls. I mean to imagine what that mom had to go through to see her daughter suffering in that way and was trying to get her out in some way, and her daughter. She know her daughter's going through it, so she's helping her document it.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure as a mom, of course she wanted to call police. Of course, she wanted to make sure that this this man could never harm her daughter again. And yet she was told, and she testified to this that Cassie sends her an email saying, I have to deal with this man because he has videos of me. He has videos of me in sexual acts, and he is now threatening to release these videos unless mom and dad, you pay him twenty thousand dollars because he claims he's lost that's how much he's lost from my career, and you need to reimburse him. And so here is this woman, reginavnt Or her mother, who has been documenting abuse. She claims she's seen from Ditty against her daughter and now has to take a home equity loan out on her own home because she doesn't have twenty thousand dollars laying around. So she has to take a loan out against her house and wires Diddy twenty thousand dollars to make sure he does not release these videos of her daughter.
Speaker 2: And it didn't work. He didn't release the videos. But she thought there was a way to get her out of a situation. She thought it was a way to maybe even free her daughter of course from this guy, and send the money they send him back in five days and that was that was that, and it's.
Speaker 1: Kind of like continued, I got her and she's still mine, and that's that's kind of just probably getting the money back. It was probably the scariest, most heartbreaking thing ever because now she knew he wasn't going away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what if that, if this is true, what a power play to say, I'm gonna let you out of it. But you know what, here's your money back. It almost feels like there's nothing you can do now.
Speaker 1: Oh my sear, I just sank to think about that. And she says she felt physically ill, physically ill. And then she even testified that she and Diddy got into a in her words, a physical fight. She said his bodyguard, d Rock, actually got in between them. But this all happened because she said Diddy took her daughter's phone from her and she wanted her daughter's phone back. She said she was yelling, screaming, and trying to hit him. I believe police recalled in this incident as well, and she said finally he gave the.
Speaker 4: Phone back to Cassie. But then days later she says he took her.
Speaker 1: Car away, just basically making her so in, you know, unable to leave, unable to call, unable to communicate.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is some scary, scary stuff.
Speaker 2: And you just hear one. It's always the case, right. You hear the prosecution one side interview a witness and you go, oh my goodness, wow, they really nailed it. And then you hear the cross examination you go, oh wow, the defense really came in. And now in this one, the defense had nothing. They refused to cross examine the mom. They said, we don't have any questions and moved on. What could they ask her? Like, what could you really do? Here's a she might be a more sympathetic figure, not than Cassie for a different reason, because more people can relate to what a mom was possibly going through than the daughter was going through.
Speaker 3: But that was they said, no, what are you gonna do? What are you gonna say? How are you gonna do anything?
Speaker 4: Everyone has a mom.
Speaker 1: Everyone on that jury has a mom, and a lot of them are moms, and so yes, the only thing the defense attorney said to Regina Ventura was I don't have any questions for you.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: And as much as we've gone through right here in what she said in testimony, it lasted less than half hour. She was not up there long as important of a witness as she appeared to be. She was only up there half hour and her testimony is done. But the next, oh boy, the next one. This is the one we've been hearing about. The next person who just to stand was the one Robes that they we only knew up to this point, at least publicly, was being talked about as the punisher. But the punisher has a real name.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's Scharre Hayes. He's a male escort today.
Speaker 1: He's fifty one years old, but he's been doing male escorting for thirty years. He was first hired, he says, back in twenty twelve.
Speaker 4: But he said it.
Speaker 1: Was just to do a I believe Cassie, he said, called her and said she was just looking for, you know, an exotic dancer. So he thought he was going to be putting on a performance, but it turned into a freak off and when he got there, she was in a robe. She just said, Hey, my husband likes to watch me have sex with other men. So he put on baby oil. She put on baby oil. And he had no idea that a naked man who walked into the room and sat in the corner with a cover over his head, he said, with just the eyes showing.
Speaker 2: He described it as a veil like a Muslim woman would wear.
Speaker 1: So the man's naked, a man with a Muslim like veil over his head goes and sits in the corner. He has no idea that this is Sean diddy Comb.
Speaker 2: See that extra detail. For me, that's wild. What a scene in a room.
Speaker 4: That's scary. I would be scored for my life.
Speaker 1: And so I'm wondering if he had fear because he said that Cassie told him this is what he testified not to look at her husband, not to even look over at him or regard him or communicate with him in any way. However, he testified that the story figure was communicating with Cassie on what to do, how to do it, what angle to be at, what he wanted to see.
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 2: And look, we've heard a lot about the free calls. We've been getting details from testimony and reporting and police reports and all this stuff. That detail for some reason about him wearing that covering over his head kind of creaked me out. We've seen a lot of horror movies.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say that I think we have seen too many horror movies that if you ever walked into a scene like that, I mean, look, I can't imagine anyone who's an exotic dancer, or a male or a female escort. Escort probably has a lot of stories to tell. Because you're walking into someone's hotel room. That's a scary thing in and of itself. But now to see a scene like this and it's not what you expected. You're told one thing, you come in and it's a completely different thing. But they initially gave him eight hundred bucks cash right away, and so that probably may have been persuasive. And then at the end of this first one, they gave him another twelve hundred and he did keep coming back for how many.
Speaker 2: I'm ten he set up to ten. He thinks he did now. He didn't know who it was. Initially, he said he didn't. Even though he saw and was there with Cassie, he didn't know who she was. He didn't necessarily recognize her as some up and coming star.
Speaker 4: She had a wig on, I think a wig on and in a robe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he didn't know found out because he's sitting in the hotel room waiting and anybody he was checked into a hotel something they do these days. You turn on the TV and don't have a greeting that has your name up there. And this one said, the Essex House would like to welcome mister Sean Combs.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine what went through his mind in that moment.
Speaker 2: He said he's a fan of the guy. He didn't know what to do, but he obviously continued on. This is the first one that was in twenty twelve, and this went through twenty sixteen, he said in the Times. But he said the Essex House robes. I did not put this together Essex House twenty twelve. I lived in that apartment in that hotel areas. I kid, you're not I lived there. I was working doing a show here in New York. I still have my house in Atlanta, and the place they put me up for that year while I worked in New York and going back and forth was an apartment in the Essex House.
Speaker 4: You are just telling me this right now.
Speaker 3: I didn't know.
Speaker 2: The Essex House was at the center of this business. It's on Central Park South.
Speaker 4: You were there when this was going down.
Speaker 3: And I didn't know that. Wow, but you you don't. There was never any indication.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is New York. You got stars and busy things always. Stuff is always happening. But the exact timeline he's talking about is exactly when I was a resident there in an apartment.
Speaker 4: Now that's freaking to use a bad word there, But I'm thinking.
Speaker 2: Back now to did I see something weird? Did I see more security around? Did I see anything out of place? And I cannot remember that being the case. But how many people in New York? How many of us were I guess you're walking right past and not see.
Speaker 4: You never know what we're going on inside those rooms.
Speaker 3: You never know.
Speaker 1: The punisher, the male escort, described the rooms he would walk into. He said, first of all, these freak offs started around two or three o'clock in the morning. He said they would go for a day. The room would be lit with electric candles. The furniture, he said, was all covered with sheets, and he said, you would start on the couch with.
Speaker 4: The baby oil. And then this was really.
Speaker 1: Important for the defense because he says that he never got any indication that Cassie was uncomfortable or there against her will. And he says that he's a pretty good job at reading people. That's part of what he does. And he said it was certainly weird to be intimate with someone with her boyfriend or her husband in the corner, but it didn't seem like she didn't want to be there.
Speaker 2: That was a big part of the prosecution's case, talking about how much she didn't want to be there, she didn't want to participate, how much she was just doing it for him. This guy's testifying, there was no single indication that she was ever on comfortable.
Speaker 1: He said she would grimace a little bit and be seemingly annoyed when Diddy was overproducing, telling to them to stop or start, or to do this or don't do that. He could see she was a little annoyed, but that was the only thing he could see that was anything other than pleasure.
Speaker 4: That was telling.
Speaker 1: He also said the last time he was invited back was in twenty sixteen, and what happened. He said he actually had a hard time performing because it was just when you start to get interrupted so much, he said it was actually hard to stay in the moment and to stay well, I guess the word is erect at that point.
Speaker 4: And once that happened, he was never invited back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there for something, But his testimony was rather incredible to listen to. Again, we've heard a lot about free calls, but some of the details that come out, and look, they are selacious and the headlines are will be a little I mean, you talk about tabloid headlines, they pluck out sometimes some of the worst sounding things. But this UF is a part of a criminal investigation. This stuff is relevant in proving a case against the guy that they said is essentially a mob boss and some of the charges he's facing. So that's why some of the details are coming out. That's why some of these details are important. The other person that was on the stand, Homeland Security agent, got up and he was in charge of the searchers at did He's Miami home and talked about the things he found, guns and whatnot. But he was the other person that ended up on the stand. But a lot of people looking forward to today and possibly tomorrow who might be coming to the stand robes and the prosecutor said, yep, we're gonna call.
Speaker 4: Him Kid Cutty.
Speaker 1: That is the rapper who was also briefly dating Cassie Ventura. And this is the same person who, according to Cassie's testimony, did he was extremely upset with when he found messages back and forth between Kid Cutty and Cassie and.
Speaker 2: Actually a freak off.
Speaker 1: During a freak off, then, according to Cassie, threatened to blow up Kid Cutty's car, and wouldn't you know it, kid Cutty's car blew up.
Speaker 3: It's coincidence, I'm sure, just a coincidence.
Speaker 1: But we're going to hear directly from Kid Cutty, who was going to take the stand. Also, we know that Ditty's former chef is expected to testify today, and going back to his former assistant, David James, he said that he refused to make a nine to one one call regarding this chef because he testified Diddy asked him to call nine one one saying that the chef assaulted Ditty, and he said he refused to make the call because he did not want to be charged with making a false police report.
Speaker 4: So we will hear.
Speaker 1: From the chef herself on the stand to see what she says happened when she was fired.
Speaker 2: I well testimony and continues. Of course, this week was at last week, I believe the prosecution said they were on pace to do their whole case in six weeks. So then the whole thing is supposed to take eight weeks. Right now, what we're saying, they seem to be on track and seem to be on schedule least for what they try to do.
Speaker 1: I will not even imagine what else we are going to hear and who else we are going to hear from. But it has been riveting, it has been eye opening, and it has been disconcerting to say the least. But we will continue to cover all the ins and outs of the Digity trial. Every time we can give you an update.
Speaker 4: Will be your.
Speaker 1: One stop shop. Instead of having to do and go through all the different news outlets to try and piece together what happened, you can hear it all hear from us a recap each and every day. Thanks for listening, and we hope you have a wonderful day today.