Speaker 1: They expected. Identity of this team is supposed to be the offense right now. That's the point that struggling right now. The Braves need to improve any way that they can. All right, let's talk.
Speaker 2: Sean Coleman is on the show here, host of Hammer Territory with three other friends, and we encourage you to check that show out. Sean, I wish that we were talking during more positive times. But let's start nice and simple. Are the Braves okay? Are the Braves okay? That is a very very loaded question.
Speaker 1: I think we have a few minutes, not a few hours, so I won't I won't get too into detail in terms of are the Braves too defeated? Are they're you know, the mentality of them is has changed where they don't feel they'll be able to improve upon this. I don't think that's the case at all. I can go through when whenever I see the Braves go through instances like this over the past few years. One of the reasons why they've been so success is because they've been so good at bouncing back when they go through roles and you know, you could go back to last year, for instance, a disappointing loss and they came back one twelve out of sixteen right after that, So they've been in this instance before, coming off a horrible loss when they really needed a big win, and then they go on a road trip. That's really really important. The big thing though about this instance in time this season for the Braves is that they've never been in this era of the team this slow before. Seven games below five hundred this late in the season. I think the last time they were this many games in our five hundred was twenty sixteen. Nor have they been in a spot where the offense is now more than a year into really underperforming. So are they to the point to where the mentality's changed. Yes, the World Series is still the outcome that they want. Can they still be one of the best teams in the National League to at least get a playoff spot? Yes? But the hole that they're going to have to dig themselves out of it's not been bigger in the Alexanthopolis Brian Snicker era, and a lot of stuff has to change for the positive, and we haven't really seen indications that it will be able to change as fast as it needs to even over the past year.
Speaker 3: Let's rewind about three weeks. Okay, the Brave are starting to play better ever since the oh to seven start. They're playing six fifteen baseball. Oh when Spencer Strider's coming back from his hamstring, he expects to be great. Acunya's on the horizon and they're back and they have continued the same mo as a outside, not a Braves fan, just somebody that watches Braves baseball. Can they win when Acunya is there? I'm not saying Acunya is making them lose, but they won the World Series in twenty one without Akunya. They ended up making the playoffs without Acunya. Is there something to his like aura and like his like in the clubhouse or are we just using easy stats to pick and choose that maybe he's not the like winning player that he needs to be for this team.
Speaker 1: I could certainly see where that perspective would come into play, because you're right, you know, we've seen them have success without Acunya. But we've also seen the fact that in that twenty twenty one World Series, one of the biggest reasons why we were able to win that is because it was kind of the opposite of what we're seeing now. We were seeing a lot of players play above their heads to allow for us to be able to be as good as we were. Our bullpen was one of the most dominant bullpens that we've seen in recent history for a playoff stretch. You know, Jorge Hilaire, John Peterson, Eddie Rosario, they were above their head looking at what Eddie Rosario did. Acunya is at that superstar level on a consistent basis. So I get where you're coming from America in terms of you know, could this team potentially you know, you wouldn't think about it, but Couldacunya have a negative effect. I don't necessarily think that's the case, especially now, because there's so many things that Acunya does in the spot that he does it that that is needed to help this team improve. You look at what he's done since he's been back, It's like he's not lost a beat. The other stolen bases are not there, but he's hitting their level that he did during his twenty twenty three MVP season. He gets on base, he allows for us to be to have his presence in the lineup that teams have to position around. You know, you've seen teams do that here recently. Other players just haven't stepped up. So I certainly see in past years where that may have been an opinion that may have had a bit more validity. I just it. Acuna is one of, in my opinion, when the top five to ten offensive forces overall players in the games, and now more than ever, especially in one singular source that can help us out in so many ways, we need him more than ever with how bout our offense is performing. So I think now more than ever, I know, I keep saying that it's just that we haven't been the slow at a point in offense under the Alex and thopless Bryan Sneaker era. He's our best offensive player. We need him to consistently perform where he has been for us to get where we want to be.
Speaker 3: Do you agree with Tom Glavin? Was that rock bottom yesterday? Yeah?
Speaker 1: It's got to be. And I asked the same question on Hammer Territory the night before, like me and in Stephen Tolbert, you know Brad Roland, Scott Coleman, you know the other great hosts of the Hammer Territory podcast. We each had danced around the conversation all week long. Is this rock bottom? Is this rock bottom, and then every single game it seemed like that was the new rock bottom. Yes, I hope it's rock bottom. And the reason why I say that is because when you have that disappointing of a loss, when it was that much of a needed win in the fashion that we lost it against a fellow team that's disappointing as well, that's looking to get back into the playoff picture themselves. It really hasn't been any worse. And again I go back to last year we lost nine to eight against the Rockies in August and we had a six year league going into the eighth inning in that game. I thought it was rock bottom last year. Well, this time around, the reason why it's even worse is because we're seven games under five hundred versus being six games above five hundred at that point. So, yes, this is the worst we've been all season long. And I hope and pray do whatever I can to hope that this is as worse as it gets. But we bounce back quickly.
Speaker 4: You talk about being games under five hundred, they are struggling this year, and we already know that trade deadline is looming.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts?
Speaker 4: I mean, could it be I dare say, maybe get rid of some guys or start all over. Do you see them getting some pieces? There's seven games out of the wild card. It's really not that much if you look at it, but there's a bunch of teams ahead of them. What are your thoughts at the trade deadline?
Speaker 1: It's to be determined. And I know that that's a cop out answer, but to me, that's just the thing that stands out about this team. Todd is you know, as a player, and I'm sure you experienced at times during your career, is that Yes, as bad as the Braves are performing now, there are still elements of this team that easily can lead to a turnaround if the offense can keep going. Our defense has been one of the best in the game. Our starting pitching has been one of the best since May first. Our bullpen is a mess right now, and hopefully some changes that have recently been made can improve it. But if our offense gets going, we can put the needed two to three week stretch of winning at the level that we need to win to really turn the conversation around. But to answer your question, if we continue on the path that we are, the thing that I'll say is This is that if we go more of a If we go a month or so, especially through some of the teams that we're playing through June, and we remain seven to ten games under five hundred, it probably means that this season isn't going to work out the way that we want to. I don't think that has that much impact on the future. I still think that World Series is still reasonable outcomes for years to come. So I think you could see us both buying and selling older players who are towards the end of their contract with the Braves. They potentially could be potential trade candidates that could make sense for other teams. But we also, if we find the right deal, could buy for the future cost control player that can make sense. So I think that in the end, the most likely scenarios you'll see us both buy and potentially sell if we remain where we are, But if we do get that search that we're desperately looking for, we'll certainly be buyers.
Speaker 3: All Right, two guys, I need you to pick one, sorry, not a couna Albi's and Michael Harris. Which of these guys when you're watching them on a day to day basis seems the closest to be getting out of it, because if one of them or both of them don't get out of it, it could really signify that trade deadline need for something different.
Speaker 1: I think that's a great assessment because when you look at besides our main guys, you know, everybody points to Austin Riley, Matt Olsen, Ronald Acuna Junior. It's those second tier of bosom. It's of guys who really need to step up to once again propel us to be one of the best offenses in the league. And those two guys you hit the nail on the head. If there's one guy that I could see it coming out of it, potentially that would be Ozzy Alby's coming into I believe it was yesterday Ozzy had draw had produced seven walks over his past ten games, first time he'd done that September of twenty twenty three. You're seeing him start to have better overall play, approach, better performances at the plate. He's got a couple of clutch hits. He's also been able to hit, you know, with more power. I think offensively, Ozzy Albi's is starting to find his groove a bit more. Now what I will say is. I think though, while it's good to see him working it into a group a bit more, seeing I think he's closer to getting back to his normal production. It's more important in my opinion, for Michael Harris to do that, because I think the power potential was higher with Harris on base or when he's on base. I think that Michael Harris it's much more of a threat. And just in general, if you could get Michael Harris performing out of that nine spot with the Coonie at that one spot, what made that two thousand and three lineup so deadly besides the home runs, was that term Michael Harrison Ronald of Cooney Junior getting on base before our big bats. If Michael Harrison once again do that, that could be a really good indication that we're getting more consistent offensively. But in terms of the two, which one is closer to getting back to the normal level of production, I think Ozzy is edging closer to be in his normal level than Michael is. Right now.
Speaker 4: My question to you is, there's some guys they've got some contracts here with the Braves talk. We've we talked about this earlier. Being comfortable. Guys aren't performing the way they are. Do you think players right now are a little bit too comfortable, or you think Antopoulis did the right thing by getting all these guys signed and going out there and playing, they're just not doing their job.
Speaker 1: I think it's the latter, I think right now. Unfortunately, Todd, It's just it's a great question, first off, But I think right now, it's just the simple fact that right now it is just a perfect storm of many players with significantly high sinned ceilings. Many players who right now who should be among the best overall at their positions in all of baseball, they're just underperforming. If you look at this lineup as a whole right now, and you were to say, okay, namely the players that right now are performing at their expected level of outcomes, you could point to Ronald Acuna Junior, and you could point to Drake Baldwin. Beyond that, I don't think there's anybody else that you could point to, especially when it counts. I look the other day and compared our heart of the lineup versus all of the heart of the lineups in baseball with runners in scoring position when it matters most, if you're not hitting home runs, for you to succeed, and the Braves were bottom three to bottom four in every important category WRC plus, slugging, ISO, what have you. They just are not producing when it matters most, so you see it in the lineup. I think the clubhouse dynamic remains a positive. I think these players, more than anyone, know how it's important to get going, and I think they're more disappointed than anyone that they're not getting going. So I could certainly see the idea that maybe they're a bit comfortable since they've got, you know, so many they're taking care of long term and all that different stuff. But what makes this team so good when they're good is that you've got a lot of passionate players who really know the importance of playing together as a team. That's what allowed for them to win the twenty twenty one in the World Series. They know they're capable of doing that again. It's just figuring out how to consistently get back to the level that will allow for that to be a realistic outcome.
Speaker 3: In a ninth inning yesterday, when Matt Tuyasa Sopo was on the mound and he gave up, oh wait, no, no, they already fired Matt Tuiasa Sopo. How bad was he because he became a scapegoat, but you watched the games every night? Was he really that bad that you're like, I knew that was coming. I totally knew that he was going to be the reason now we're going to turn it around.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's it is the significance of the change from Matt Tuiyosa Sopo to Freddie Gonzalez, it shouldn't garner a strong reaction. I think it was just simply a point that listen, when it comes to the Braves team, it's pretty clear that with the investments that they made that we just talked about the expected identity of this team is supposed to be the offense right now. That's the point that's struggling. So the Braves kind of just looked at an assessment of every factor that could be impact in the offense. And there has been multiple occurrences. You know, we talked about it a few weeks ago, me and Stephen Tolbert on the Hammer Territory podcast. It's just that it seems like Matt Tuyasa Sopo did not have the best awareness when it came to identifying opportunities where if he made a certain decision, it would put the odds in the braves favor to be able to score runs. And those type of instances had built up over time. So I do think that it was important to get someone there with experience, who had familiarity with the organization. That's why they went with Freddie Gonzalez. So in terms of an overall impact on like getting the offense back on track, it's going to have you know, it's not that big of a change, but I do think that it is a needed change because right now the Braves need to improve any way that they can, and if it includes getting more experience, that can put them in better positions to win over time. I think that it was a needed move to be made, so I applauded the move, But in the end, it's a minor move more than anything that's going to be a significant reason whether or not we get back on track.
Speaker 3: Maybe some people forgot they got rid of their offensive hitting coach Kevin Sitzer in the off season. Now the offense is struggling. Do they regret that? Do they regret getting rid of asal Fosano, because now Kevin Sitzer's out in Seattle where they never hit, and oh wait, Seattle Mariners can hit now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think that they regret really getting, you know, being Kevin Sitzer, you know, coming out of the organization. I know he's in Seattle.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: The thing I'll say to this is that the thing that needs to really be made, and this is why it is concerning, is that the offensive concerns go back to last April. You could pinpoint April twenty eight, twenty ninth of last year twenty and twenty four, we'll basically say May first. Before May first, the Braves offense was at historical times in twenty twenty three, got off to a really good start in twenty twenty four, and then they just went down, fell off a cliff on May first. And a lot of that happened under Kevin Seitz. Under Kevin Seitzer's tutelage, we saw many players underperforming. We saw the struggles when they're not hitting homers or runners in scoring position. So I think, more than anything, what has happened now that the struggles of much of twenty twenty four carrying over to twenty and twenty five. It's not necessarily that you know, hey, a change in the hitting coach. You know, we failled in that aspect because I think that a new voice was needed. It's just that once again, these players are going through an extended period of time where they're not performing to the level that they would have expected to. That either means that we need to lower the overall expectations of what their ceilings are because they're not making the needed adjustments, or we overall need to make a complete haul of the coaching staff. Not saying that needs to happen now, but there may just need to be a complete organizational refocus of how the offense goes about doing things so these players can once again consistently be able to perform at the high levels they're expected to and should be able to should be expected.
Speaker 2: To perform on Great info, great energy, Thanks for joining us. Maybe you know we listen to Hammer Territory in a few weeks and all has settled, or maybe even in August, like in twenty twenty one, where they're five hundred ish and then all of a sudden they made some trades and they're a different team and they win the World Series. But we'll see. Good talking to you man.
Speaker 1: One last thing, I'm gonna go ahead on record and say it right now. The Braves will make the playoffs. I have faith that they're going to make the surge that they need to. I think this offense is going to bounce back. The Braves will be in the playoffs for the eighth straight year. Todd, I say, I see you waving your hands. Hey, Hey, one last thing, I'll in with the last team. The last team that was performing at the level that the Braves were or worse this late into the season seven games under five hundred at their ops or worse that won the World Series was the nineteen fourteen Braves. We're going to put positive vibes into the universe. So I'll we're talking about thanks for the opportunity.
Speaker 3: I want.
Speaker 4: I want some of that juice you're drinking down and out there. Brother, we'll talk later.
Speaker 1: Thanks. I like it.
Speaker 2: I like it, Sean, I'm all about it. Hey, there's a look at Hammer Territory on YouTube. They run shows usually about four a week. There's four hosts. It's really good stuff. I like Sean of course saying it with his chest, just like Krats I'm sure was proud of. So anyway, that's all the location for your braves information,